Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first, Like you know to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one seventy. What's Right with Nick Right? Today's episode brought to you by Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee. Tune into moments that matter to the most with the uplifting boost of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino chilled coffee drink available now online or wherever you buy your groceries. I actually I was all out of the Starbucks ready to drink coffee that I leave here at Trintage where we do the podcast. I went literally twelve feet around down the street to the bodega on the corner. They had a whole little cooler of these things, you really can get them anywhere. Guess who else is back? In addition my Starbucks drink. Diora making her triumphant return, looking nice and tan and refreshed from quite the trip. It's wonderful to see you. I missed you so much. And the shirt I'm wearing today courtesy my wonderful daughter who bought me a present on her trip. It was so kind. I love the shirt. Thank you. Welcome back to you. Excited to be back? Yeah, of course, yeah, she's thrilled to be here. By the way, a little scheduling note. We have a podcast today and Thursday, and then the podcast and the TV show are off next week for the last vacation of the summer, and then we are into the stretch run of football. Shortly after we get back from that vacation, Doorra will do her farewell show, Demons will take back over, Diorra will go off to college, and I will enter a bit of an existential crisis. But we will get to that at another time. Here's what missed the cut for today's show. Hard Knocks is returning. We might talk about that on Thursday. Carson Wentz just really a bad look man. Wearing your Eagles helmet, your Washington jersey and your cult shorts and my Philly gambling trip. Well, listen, I'll give you the short version of that. Didn't go great, could have gone better, but had a great time, nice little weekend away with the wife, and I have a potential really exciting gambling trip involving my friends at Poker Go and phil Helm Youth and all of that that may or may not have happen here in the next thirty days. If I get that locked down, I will discuss it with you guys on the pod. But no more waiting, do you or what are we starting with today?
Speaker 3: So Michael Parson says that the Hall of Fame is not a big enough accomplishment. He said he wants to be known as one of the greatest Hall of famers. Is he already a lock for Hall of Fame or is he getting ahead of himself?
Speaker 2: So he's obviously getting ahead of himself. And I think people underestimate, not just players, fans, media, how difficult the NFL Hall of Fame is to get into the finalists for this past year guys, and when you look at guys who didn't make it. If we do the finalist or hell that the twenty six semi finalists for the Hall of Fame this past season. You have some great players who didn't even then make the finalist list. Eric Allen not a finalist, Jared Allen Jared Allen was a finalist, didn't make it. Willie Anderson didn't make it, and Guambalden wasn't even a finalist. Tony BASSELLI, I don't even think he was a finalist. Let me make sure I'm right. Oh no, he was a finalist, but he did not make it. Pardon me. Eddie George not a finalist. Devin Hester didn't make it, Tory Holt, Andre Johnson did not make it, Richard Seymour did not make it. So Reggie Wayne did not make it. Patrick Willis did not make it. Patrick Willis. So people throw So, of course Mike is off to a good start. That he's got to do what he's done the first couple years of his career for the next decade. So what's the follow up question here?
Speaker 3: Doora which current NFL players are a lock for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Colin did this on TV yesterday. I'm gonna do a slightly different version, and we will go team by team and and list everyone. And I should have given the producers the heads up on this if someone with our wonderful Blue Duck production staff in Los Angeles can just start a document or jot something down, and every player that I list put in whichever category. So the categories that I have are locks, likely, good start, and not quite. I think those are the categories that I have, and may you know, throw possible on there as well, and we'll see what we come up with at the end of it. I'm just gonna go team by team the way they're listed in the standings, and we'll go through it. The Dallas Cowboys have as many possibles, are not even necessarily possible, as we're gonna list as many names with the Cowboys as any team, and it's only three names. So Tyrone Smith is a likely Hall of Famer. He is not a lock Hall of Famer, not yet. But Tyron Smith He's got eight Pro Bowls, four All Pros, he was on an All Decade team. Even that at an offensive line as an offensive lineman, I can't call him a lock, but he is a likely Hall of Famer, as is his offensive line mate Zach Martin. Zach Martin, who's been the best guard in the league for quite some time. He has eight Pro Bowls, eight All Pros, including six First Team All Pro? Why is he not a lock for the Hall of Fame and he's damn close. The answer to that is, it is incredibly difficult to get in as a guard, incredibly difficult. He is close to a lock. He is not quite a lock, but he is a very likely Hall of Famer. Tyron Smith is a likely Hall of Famer. Micah Parsons is in the good start category. It's a great start, but I'm not ready at all to he's got again another half decade plus of this level of production. The Giants have no one that comes to that is in the discussion. The Eagles have one person, Jason Kelcey, and I think he is a lock. Jason Kelsey is by some people consider him the best center ever. He's a five time I'm First Team All Pro. And whether it should matter or it shouldn't because his resume probably is not quite as impressive as Zach Martin's. But you got to keep in mind when it comes to first team All Pros, there's only one center. There's two guard positions available, and the fact that he's won two Super Bowls, I'm sorry, one to one super Bowl, played in another Super Bowl is going to help him greatly. He's a lock Hall of Famer. No one else on the Eagles is even really in the discussion, and you can say you're not Fletcher Cox. Matt mentioned just to me in my ear, and I was gonna go through it, and Matt, please keep doing that if you think there's someone I'm way overlooking. Fletcher Cox, to me is a great example of how hard it is to make the Hall of Fame. Fletcher Cox is a very good player. He is not a Hall of Fame player. Fletcher Cox is not better than Richard Seymour was, and Richard Seymour might never get in. Fletcher Cox is not better than Bryant Young was, and Bryant Young might never get in. Fletcher Cox is very very good. He's not a Hall of Famer. Washington obviously has no one, and that takes care of the NFC East. The Bears have no one, the Lions have no one. The Packers becomes an interesting discussion with one guy, David Bachtiori. David Bachtiori three time Pro bowler, five time All Pro, two time first team All Pro. To me, David boch Tiori just misses. He's behind Tyron Smith. As far as tackles from his era, He's obviously behind a guy we're gonna get to in a bit in tackles from his era. I think David Baktiari just misses, so that means the Packers have no one the Vikings justin Jefferson good start category, way too early, but the start couldn't possibly be stronger. The guy averages basically one hundred yards a game for his career, He's been spectacular. He just got voted number two on the NFL's Top one hundred list, which is remarkable. I think it's the highest receivers ever been on that list. He gets the good start category. The Falcons the only person they have, and I think people maybe forget that he plays for this team. I forgot he played for this team because he hadn't played for him yet. Is Kalays Campbell. Kalayus Campbell is in the just missus category. Ninety nine sacks, only three All pros Now he wasn't All Decade member, which helps him. But I think kalay Is Campbell just misses. The Saints have one person that's Cam Jordan, and he is going to be I think people he's going to be a controversial one. But the numbers are jarring for Cam Jordan. Cam Jordan, who just signed an extension, has one one hundred and fifteen and a half career sacks. So when you look at the all time leaders for sacks, and I understand it's a stat that only been kept, you know, over the last forty years, but if we go to it and pro the official leaders on all time sacks, he's twenty third. If he gets another ten sacks in his career, he moves into the top twenty. He is eight sacks behind Robert Mathis and eight sacks behind Von Miller. He's ten sacks behind Dwight Freeney and guys ahead of him on the official leader board. Now, Football Reference did a cool thing where they went back and counted the unofficial sacks. But Cam Jordan, if we just go by the official leader board, cam Jordan has more than JJ Watt, who just retired and is an absolute, no doubt lock Hall of Famer. It's one more, but it's more guys with more sacks than Cam Jordan. I'll go through them quickly and tell you if they're not in the Hall of Fame. Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Kevin Green, Julius Pepper's not in, but will be. He hadn't been retired long enough. Chris Dolman, Michael Strahand, Jason Taylor, Terrell Suggs. Suggs not in, but will be. DeMarcus where Richard Dent, John Randall, Jared Allen at one thirty six. He's a finalist but hasn't gotten in yet. John Abraham not in and doesn't look like he's gonna get in. Leslie O'Neill, Lawrence Taylor, Richie Jackson, Ricky Jackson, pardon me, Derek Thomas, Freeney, who's waiting? Von Miller, Robert Mathis, Simeon Rice, Clyde Simmons, Cam Jordan. None of those guys are in. So my point is he gets ten more sacks. He's almost assuredly getting in. He just signed an extension. He is not a but he is a likely Hall of Famer. The Bucks have have one guy. Oh so the the Cruisers remind me Jimmy Graham is now in the Saints again. Jimmy Graham, in my opinion, has no chance of being a Hall of Famer. Uh. He's a two time All Pro. He has gaudy touchdown numbers, but not much else. Jimmy Graham to me is I didn't even consider him, and it's not well, it's partially because I forgot that he had resigned with the Saints. He's not a Hall of Famer. The Bucks people are gonna bring up there's only one person they're gonna bring up, Mike Evans. Mike Evans to me, is once again a very very good player who has never not a day ben Was there ever a discussion is he the best receiver in the league. There's never been a discussion. Is he the second best receiver in the league. He has one really impressive stat which is he has started his career with nine consecutive thousand yard seasons or is it ten consecutive? It is how many seasons has he played. He's done it every single year. It's nine consecutive thousand yard seasons. I do not think he gets in the Hall of Fame. To me, he is if Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne and Tory Holt, we don't know if they're getting in. There is no argument that Mike Evans gets in. So Mike Evans, to me, is not quite. The Rams obviously have one guy. It's Aaron Donald. He's a one hundred percent lock. There is not even It's not even worth discussing Stafford. It's also not worth discussing He's not even close. The Cardinals have no one. The forty nine ers have one lock in. Trent Williams been the best left tackle in the league for a decade. He is, and that is gonna hurt boch Tiori because how many left tackles from one ear are gonna make it. Trent Williams is in, is going to be in. Tyron Smith is in root, so I think that hurts Bocktori. Nicky Bosa is in the good Stark category. Need a lot more sample, but he's in the good Stark category. And George Kittle is the very very good, not a Hall of Famer. And then the Seattle Seahawks have one guy, Bobby Wagner, who to me is an absolute lock. So the entirety of the NFC, what we have is the following And I said, We're gonna spend a lot of time on this. I think it's fun exercise. Jason Kelsey, Aaron Donald, Trent Williams. In the entirety of the NFC, there are three Lock Hall of Famers active right now in the entirety of say that again, Matt sorry, uh oh, and Bobby Wagner. Pardon me, I forgot to Yes, you're right. So there's four. Thank you, I had just said, Bobby Wagner. I didn't put Lock next to his name on my little document that I'm making. Thank you for that. So there's four Bobby Wagner, Trent Williams, Aaron Donald, and Jason Kelsey in the entirety of the NFC. As far as guys that are in root, it would appear you have Tyrone Smith, Zach Martin who is approaching lock category, Cam Jordan as like Lee's, and then I put Nick Bosa and Micah Parsons and Justin Jefferson in the good start category. That's the NFC to the AFC. The Bills have one no doubt Hall of Famer. We all know who he is, Von Miller. Von Miller is a no doubt Lock Hall of Famer. There's no scenario where he doesn't get in. He might be a first ballot guy. He's a lock. I people are gonna say, Nick, where's Josh Allen on this right now? He's not. He's not even close. And you can't even put him in the good start category because for a quarterback there's some benchmarks you've got to hit. He's not either playoff success or MVPs or something. He's not there. So it's just von Miller right now. The Dolphins are an interesting team here. I believe at this point tyreek Kill is a lock. Hall of Famer. Tyreek Kill is one of the most notable players of his era. He made an All Decade Team, he is a four time first team All Pro and absolutely if you ask the question, was he ever considered the best receiver in the league, the answer was yes. Now, it wasn't unanimous, but the answer was yes. He's a lock. Then there's Jalen Ramsey, who and this is why Micah's comments are so interesting, where he's like, you know, I want to be one of the best Hall of Famers ever. Jalen Ramsey, through four years of his career, looked like he was gonna be a no doubter. Doubt is starting to creep in He's a three time first team All Pro, but this year is going to be basically a lost year, which means the next season he plays will be his age thirty season. I have him listed Jalen Ramsey in the likely category because he was considered the best corner in the league for a period of time, but he is not a lock, and he maybe deserves to be in the possible category rather than the likely category. He's a tough one. The Patriots have no one. The Jets obviously have Aaron Rodgers as a lock, and that's it. Garrett Wilson, We're not gonna even call it good start yet for him. It's one year. Quinn Williams, no like it's you can't even call it good start yet, you'd have to be even better than he's been. Aaron Rodgers is a lock, and that's it. The Browns have one guy, and he is. He's a hard one to even put in a category. I'm gonna call him likely because the guy is he's been in the league too long to just say good start, but he hasn't done enough yet for him to be anywhere close to a lock. And that's Miles Garrett. Miles Garrett has seventy five sacks in eighty four career games. He has been his sacks by season seven is a rookie then thirteen, ten, twelve, sixteen, sixteen, to go along with as far as TfL's nine, twelve, eleven, ten, seventeen eighteen. He is a four time All Pro, a four time Pro bowler, But as we demonstrated previously, he has to almost duplicate these last five years for the next five years to be a lock. He in the likely category. The Bengals have two obvious guys in the good Stark category, Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase. They are way too young to put past that, but they're both in the good Stark category. The Steelers have one guy in the good Stark category and one guy in the not quite category. The good stark category is obviously TJ. Watt. They're not quite category is Cam Hayward. The Ravens have one guy that's a lock. Know who he is their kicker, Justin Tucker. He is a Lock Hall of Famer. If you're gonna put ever put more kickers in, it has to be him. He's a Lock Hall of Famer. The Titans have one guy who I think is a likely Hall of Famer. Now. I don't know that his career numbers are going to stack up to the other great Hall of Fame running backs, but what helps him so much is he has the distinction I was, unquestioned the best of my position of my era, and that's Derrick Henry. And because of that, he's not a lock, but to me he's likely. He also, right now is the only person in his entire division that even made the discussion. I'd love to call Saint Trevor's off to a good start. You can't say that. I gotta be fair here as far as Hall of Fame goes, the Colts, Jags, and Texans have no one worth discussing. The Titans only have Derrick Henry, and that brings us to our last division. The Chiefs have two dead set go ahead.
Speaker 3: Your overtime in the first question.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, I said this one was gonna be long, but I think this is a good exercise. The Chiefs have too obvious no question locks in Mahomes and Kelsey. And I know Mahomes has only started for five years. Doesn't matter. Two super Bowls, two MVPs, two Super Bowl MVPs. The only people with multiple Super Bowls and multiple Super Bowl MVPs and multiple regular season MVPs are Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and Patrick Mahomes. He is a no doubt Hall of Famer, and Kelsey's the greatest tight endeavor. Chris Jones is a little old for this. I can't put him in the likely category because he's not that yet. I'm gonna put him in the good start category even though he's a little old for that, because A his numbers are eye popping, especially that position. B. If the Chiefs win another Super Bowl in the next couple years and they are can considered a dynasty, they will get some bonus spots for their players in the Hall of Fame, and Tyreek was only there for one of them Mahomes and Kelsey, Obviously, Chris Jones is the clear cut guy that would slide into that next spot. Davonte Adams for the Raiders. He's the only person that I even considered. Chandler Jones to me is in that not quite category. Davante I put as a possible. He's a three time All Pro, six time Pro bowler. We've talked about how hard the receiver position is. We'll see how much longer he's great for, but we're gonna call him possible. The Chargers right now have nobody. Joey Bosa is really good. He hasn't had a Hall of Fame career up to this point. Neither has Khalil Mack. Neither is Derwin James obviously not justin Herbert and then maybe and this is the last one, maybe the most interesting Hall of Fame litmus test on this list, and I have him as a possible. Russell Wilson with the Broncos. Russell Wilson, nine time Pro Bowler, but zero first team All pros, one second team All Pro. And if he if this era of his career is a disaster, I think he plays himself out of the Hall of Fame. So there's the entirety of it. You, okay, Scoot, it's crazy because you haven't had to do anything yet and you're just out here just dying. I'm just telling you, I mean, you just out you're dying. So there it is. So the once again, much like what we did on Thursday that I said, I hope was as interesting the audience it was. To me, that's everyone in the league. It is incredibly difficult to even become a Hall of Fame finalist, much less make it. By my count, there are only let me make sure I'm right on this, we had four locks in the NFC as far as no question about it, Kelsey, Donald, Williams Wagner. In the AFC we have Von Miller, Tyreek Hill, Aaron Rodgers, Justin, Tucker Mahomes, and Kelsey. So that is six more locks with about a dozen other like lees. At any given time, guys, you're probably probably only watching twenty active Hall of Famers and that's where we're at and that's how I see it playing out. So again, you guys can include in your comments or questions your thoughts. We'll do that. Actually before the sea block, we'll do this Excite Right thing, deor you want to tell them about it right here, if you're feeling up to it, you're just so rude, go ahead.
Speaker 3: If you guys think that we missed anyone, that you could put it in the chat for the first edition of Excite Right and we'll explain what that is later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also there are some guys that just retired or aren't currently on rosters but haven't announced their retirement that are interesting discussions as well. We can get to them there also, but let's do the rest of the show now door.
Speaker 3: Anthony Davis signed a MAX extension and is tied to the Lakers through twenty twenty eight. LA has a massive off season and now their future is secure. Is this a smart move by LA?
Speaker 2: It's a no doubt move. It's unquestionably the right move for two reasons. One is Anthony Davis could have been a free agent after this coming season if they didn't do this. He had an early termination option, which is similar to a player option. He could just end his contract a year early. You can't let Anthony Davis hit free agency. He's coming off his second best season as a Laker, his second best playoff run of his career. And I understand the Nuggets swept the Lakers, but if you are trying to get through the Nuggets, you need to have a seven footer that they at least have to deal with, and as far as people alive, if I'm trying to get through Nikolajokic, yes, my number one draft pick for who I would want is Giannis, but you could make an argument the number two draft pick is Anthony Davis. He's more of a proven playoff commodity than Joel Embiid. His postseason health history is not worse than Embiid's, and even if you wouldn't beat ahead of him, then eighty is third. Like for the rest of AD's prime, Jokich is gonna be the Western Conference end boss, at least for the near future. This was an absolute no brainer.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, Okay, Jamar Chase wants Joe Burrow to be careful, not rushing back from injury. He said, as long as you're there after week five and on, you're good. Brother. How close is this to jos We're fine in the West statement.
Speaker 2: It's a second cousin of it. I listen. I agree with Jamar's analysis. I think the Bengals have to be super careful with Joe, and not just because he could reaggravate the calf, but if the calf isn't fully healthy and he's not able to escape a big hit, he could suffer a different type of injury, or more devastating injury. So I agree they've got to be super careful with him. I do think Jamar is a little bit putting the cart ahead of the horse when he's talking about we've got bearer goals. We just need you for the end of the season. That's that part is maybe a little premature, but the general sentiment is exactly correct. The general sentiment that they need to be super cautious with Joe Burrow. And by the way, their Week one game is against the Browns, which is the team Joe Burrow's had the most trouble within his career. He has five picks in five games, he's only beat him once. So maybe Joe sitting out that game is not the worst thing in the world to begin with. I would be super cautious with Joe Burrow. I agree with Jamar there. I think some of the other commentary is again maybe a little premature, but I'm fine with it all right.
Speaker 3: Last, Mike arrabel is turning over head coaching duties to assistant Tarra Williams in the first preseason game. Should more coaches be following suit?
Speaker 2: So I had never thought of this, and now that somebody's done it, and I'm like, oh, that's obvious. And it's one of those things that I can't say it's obvious because I had never thought of it, but it now feels like, oh, yeah, of course, and I think it's a great idea. I think this is pretty clearly forward thinking and it's going to a I think it's going to give him a better From a selfish perspective, it gives him a better chance of acquiring better, young, up and coming coaches for his staff because he's giving them opportunities. From a self list perspective, it's a great opportunity for Royle Williams. And it is absolutely the type of thing. Now that I see it, I'm like, oh, yeah, I wish that Reid had done this with the enemy, and that you had other teams, other coaches who have guys on like should Belichick do it with Gerard Mayo, who's a potential coach in waiting. Are there other teams that should consider doing this if the head coach is fully entrenched. Absolutely so. I think that's a great job by Mike Vrabel. I think it's smart. I think it's helpful for his team. I think it's helpful for his staff. I think this is one of those things that is again, now that someone's done it, it seems like a no brainer that more teams should do it. All right, We'll see who you guys think deserved more discussion on the Hall of Fame. Plus we play a game of right or Wrong and talk a little Women's World Cup. All that's next, What's Right?
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblst who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jarrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Kanavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, let me remind you. Welcome back in, But I gotta remind you my life moves fast between two shows, two kids at home, which is soon gonna just be one kid at home. I could use a pick me up. Starbucks ready to drink coffee delivers an uplifting boost that helps you tune in to the moments that matter wherever you are. Bottled Frappuccino chilled coffee drink is inspired by Starbucks Cafe Favorites and comes in four delicious flavors. Mocha that's the one I'm drinking today, Vanilla, caramel, and coffee. I like to start my day with some type of coffee, especially when I'm recording a new episode of What's Right. My go to drink is Starbucks Ready to Drink coffee for that uplifting boost I need to conquer the day. I love the range of Starbucks Ready to Drink coffee, whether I want to grab a Starbucks frappuccino, chilled coffee drink or the Nitro coldrew. So many good choices for whatever I'm feeling that day. Starbucks Coffee Ready for right now. Shot the full lineup online or in store wherever you buy your groceries. All right, welcome back in episode one seventy. Once again, it's brought to you by our friends at Starbucks Diora for our first edition of Excite Right, Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, at the top of the show, which was honestly only like five minutes ago, we talked to Michael Parson's aiming for the Hall of Fame and asked who you think will get in. Here's who, Here's who the Chat has as their Hall of Fame contenders. Yep, are you in or out? A few mentioned DeAndre Hopkins on Titans.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so I should have at least mentioned him. I DeAndre was looking like he was going to be a Hall of Famer the last couple seasons in Arizona, and the fact that he's now a Titan, I think is he's now in the not quite category, which is amazing to me. And there are just at that position right now, Andre Johnson, who Andre Johnson with terrible quarterbacks plus a few years of Matt SHAWB who was fine but not great, had fourteen thousand yards seventy touchdowns. DeAndre has eleven thousand yards seventy one touchdowns. And Andre has been waiting. So and Andre, to me passes the test of were you, for an extended period of time the best or the second best at your position? Unquestionably? Yes. So I I think right now Deandres and not quite. I'm gonna tell you somebody else who I get I believe will get in. But people treat him like he is going to walk in first ballot, and I do not think that is the case. But I do think he'll get in. And is he even on a team right now? No, right now, he's not. And that's Julio Jones. Julio Jones. Now he also passes the test of was he the best in the world for a period of time. But Julio, if he doesn't play again, if again, if we use the Andre Johnson standard, Julio has thirteen thousand yards and sixty three touchdowns. That's fewer than Andre in both categories, and Andre is not in. So again, I just think people underestimate how difficult it is. But all right, what's who's the next person people mentioned?
Speaker 3: Andrew Ortiz says Stefan Gilmore from the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Steven Gilmore is not a Hall of Famer. I know, we wanted Defensive Player of the Year award. Uh he's not. He's just not a Hall of Famer and he's not gonna be a be a particularly difficult case. It's five time Pro bowler, two time All Pro, very very good player. He's not a Hall of Famer. Go ahead, Team.
Speaker 3: Maine and others said Lane Johnson Philly.
Speaker 2: I should have mentioned him as a possible I don't think. I know. Again, people throw around future Hall of Famer. Lane Johnson right now. He doesn't have the bona fides. He's just a three time All Pro, four time Pro bowler, and he's thirty three playing right tackle. God dogg it, that's gonna be hard. Jason Kelsey is a lock. I think Lane is probably a not quite maybe he maybe he should be a possible. I certainly should have mentioned him. That was my mistake, not even mentioning him. But I think he's probably just on the outside all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Nasdab said Cooper Cup.
Speaker 2: This is not even a discussion. Cooper Cup had one Hall of Fame caliber season, one other really good season. He's I think he's already thirty. It's not even and I'm not trying to be rude to the Yeah, he just turned thirty. He has no chance. There's literally no chance for Cooper Cup. If he duplicated his entire career up to this point in his thirties, he still probably doesn't get in. That would put him at twelve thousand yards, ninety touchdowns, and maybe that would get him in, but he's not gonna duplicate that in his thirties, so it doesn't matter. He has one Pro Bowl, one All Pro, one all time season, when he won the Triple Crown. It was a great year, but he is not even close to a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Next okay, Francisco. Francisco said Honey Badger from the Saints.
Speaker 2: I I really like Tyron Matthew won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs. He does have that all decade team under his belt, but he's not a Hall of Famer. Very very good player, not a Hall of famer, all right.
Speaker 3: Next okay, Austin Patrick Peterson and Mink.
Speaker 2: Minka Fitzpatrick Patrick Peterson was on So my list of guys who just retired. Uh so, Minka, I would put in I guess the good start category. He's he has to do far more. But he's a three time All Pro already, so he hasn't played nearly long enough. Patrick Peterson, I believe, is a Hall of Famer, but he's not an active player anymore. Oh is Patrick Peterson an active player now? Oh he's on the Steelers. Oh, I thought Patrick Peterson, so I would have included. So that's my mistake. That's a bad job by me. I thought Patrick Peterson retired. I thought Patrick Peterson, Well, no, no, he's I mean he's an older guy. I think Patrick. I don't think Patrick Peters sends a lock. I would put him in the likely category. But I also thought he had retired. That's my mistake. Sorry Steelers fans. I didn't know he was on the Steelers right now. I thought he was after the Vikings he retired. The guys who just retired to me, JJ Watt obvious lock. Jason Peters pretty damn close to a lock. He's gonna get in. Matt Ryan is not a Hall of Famer. If you think he's a Hall of Famer, you're just doing counting stuff. I know we want a league MVP once. He is not a Hall of Famer. And to me, and this one might be controversial, but as far as guys that I don't know if they're just retired or just not on a roster, Endomikan Sue is not a Hall of Famer. He's very very close and very very good, but not a Hall of Famer. So Antonio Brown is not a Hall of Famer. Antonio Brown would have been, and was en root to it and didn't have much more to do, but he Antonio Brown honestly was probably one good season, one more good season away from being in. But because of how it ended, and because of the log jam at that position, and because he's just so universally considered a bad guy, he's not gonna get any favors there. I don't think he's in all right, do youorra? We'll move on from the Hall of Fame stuff? Good job with excite right everybody? What's next?
Speaker 3: Okay? It's the end of an era for US women's soccer. The team had their worst World Cup ever and are losing a lot of their stars in the in a year of injuries in young players. With the expectations unreasonable.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't think the expectations were unreasonable. This team just underachieved. They also, I mean after a miserable group stage. You know, they they had a penalty kick to advance to beat Sweden, and they were the number one team in the nation, the number two team or number one team of the nation, number one team in the world, number two team in the world. Germany had already been knocked out, the number three team in the world. They were playing in Sweden, and if Rapino hits that penalty kick, and she wasn't the only one who missed, but she was. You know, they had two one oper I don't know it was Rapino or the lady after. I don't. I haven't all scattered in my head now. But they had a kick to win it. And by the way, they missed three penalty kicks, none of them that they would have missed if there wasn't a goalie. Two went over the goal and one went off the post. And it is not executed. It's the coach didn't do it. The manager, pardon me, didn't do a great job this World Cup. But those missed penalties. It is this bad execution by the players. And so no, I don't I think the US is still positioned well in women's soccer. I also think the rest of the world has caught up greatly. None of this is breaking news. I also think the biggest story, unfortunately, surrounding the Women's World Cup's exit was if you needed more more data that certain folks who claim to be the most patriotic actually actively root against and dislike massive swaths of America and Americans, then just look to the reaction of the Women's World Cup laws. Because there are folks out there that claim they are the most American and were actively rooting against the our country. One of our country's most successful teams because they didn't like these ladies' politics. And it would be shameful and embarrassing if it wasn't so predictable. And some of these absolute fools that are trying to either convince themselves or convince their audience that the US women's national team, again a women's professional sport, that that team used to have different politics, that that team all of a sudden, you know, in twenty twenty three, quote went woke when previously what you think they were against equal pay, You think they were against women's rights, you think they were against gay rights, You think that they were rolling every nation in the world winning World Cups. This was a super conservative group of professional female athletes. Give me a break if you believe that, you're an idiot and you don't actually believe that, you're just trying to sell snake oil to a deluded, mind poisoned audience. And these so many of these folks do not actually root for America. They root for Americans who either agree with their politics or Americans who disagree with their politics but won't say it. And because of that, there was a bit of a celebration when these women laws and again I don't want to spend any more time on it because it's just so predictable, and there are just again, big, big portions of this country that are there. They're running out of sports that they can enjoy. I suppose because athletes have always and will always skew left of the Median American political stance. Because athletes skew for certainly, female athletes are left of the Median American, minorities are left of the Median American and football and basketball have a disproportionate amount of minorities. You also, by the way, in women's soccer, like the if you just get forget if they're soccer players or not, if you get a group of college educated women and then compare their politics to again, the Median American, they're gonna be left of that group. And some folks are so damn sensitive and dare I say, snowflakes, They can't handle it. They can't handle differing opinions, they can't handle people advocating for full and equal rights of groups they don't think deserve full and equal rights or full in equal pay, and they'll freak out. And some people just turn this podcast or YouTube show off and are trying to google my email address to send me an angry email, and I just couldn't. It would be impossible for me to care less about that. And so it's just remarkable to me how some folks simultaneously believe they have a monopoly on patriotism while also believing that there are entire cities in this country, if not a couple states, that are not quote real America, and that there are millions of Americans that are not quote real Americans, and that even when they are literally wearing the flag across their chest representing the United States on the international stage, they root against them because they dislike who they vote for and the policies they advocate for. It's just so pathetic. All right, let's play a game.
Speaker 3: Go ahead door, So we're gonna play a game of right or wrong. Jimmy G has thrown seven interceptions in two practices, but Josh McDaniel says he has no concerns right or wrong. Nick has some concerns about Jimmy G.
Speaker 2: Well, I always have some concerns about Jimmy G. But when you look at the Raiders depth chart at quarterback, it's not exactly one that's gonna give Jimmy G a lot of competition. It's Aidan O'Connell and Brian Hoyer, so he's gonna be their quarterback. Pardon me the here is my only concern for Jimmy G. If he's bad enough that the Raiders end up getting Caleb Williams, that it will be unfathomable for me if I have to deal with Caleb Williams in the AFC West. It's why I need the Cardinals to go oh to seventeen and just lock that thing in. But yeah, the Raiders are not gonna be very good and Jimmy G's not gonna be very good, so yeah, right, I have some concerns about him, all right, next.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry. The Chiefs posted a video on Twitter which may have shown the world their game plan this year. Patrick Mahomes is throwing passes behind his back. Now, right or wrong, Mahomes will throw behind the back pass this year.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean it's I mean he's going to do it. He came on first things first and said he was gonna do it. This was in eleven on eleven and as all he has to do is do it one time, and it greatly helps the Chiefs because when you are game planning for the best offense in the league. Now, all of a sudden, and we can run the video again, I think we're gonna do it. Right now, all of a sudden, you now have to game plan that even if all the receivers are set out to the right and Mahomes is looking to the right, he could do that and you all of a sudden have a de facto screen pass going to the left. So yeah, I think he's gonna do it. He told me on the show that he does it all the time in practice, but he's been afraid to do it. We asked him to do it in the super Bowl. He said he wasn't gonna do it in the super Bowl. He didn't do it in the Super Bowl. But I think he's gonna do it in the regular season.
Speaker 3: All right, next, Okay, Russell Wilson will play the first game of the preseason. Right or wrong? Russ is at an all time low.
Speaker 2: Well, he might be at an all time low, but I'm gonna say wrong in the context of the question. I think this smart, folks. You know what team plays their starters throughout the preseason and has padded practices and goes hard at training camp, Andy Reid and the Kansasity Chiefs. Maybe you guys should model yourselves after that rather than everyone trying to do what Sean McVay did that one year, which is plays starters, zero snaps the entire preseason. That is, you got to get these guys ready to play. So I think ross playing in the preseason is not an insult. I think it's smart, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Messi now has seven goals in four games since coming to the MLS. Right or wrong, Messi's MESSI anytime goal will be in many Nick parlays wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm not betting MLS Soccer. Maybe my guess is the fact that the producers, the squarest group of betters I've ever met, are already encouraging. This makes me think that, even without looking at it, that the juice is probably way, way too high. I'm not betting MLS Soccer. I'm keeping the powder dry for football season and our glorious gambling shows that are coming. Next.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Angels decided not to trade show show. Hey, oh Tani, at the deadline, they lost. They've lost every game since. Right or wrong, the Angels are a crime against him.
Speaker 2: An Well, yeah, I mean, this is really bad, and I, you know, I was pounding the drum, don't trade show, Hey, you should be buyers, not sellers. Go try to make a run. They did exactly that, and now they're just totally screwed. So I, you know, I still think it was the right thing if you have a guy who some people are saying could be the greatest player in the history of the sport, to not just give up on him and give up on the season. But it's obviously been a bad look for them to just go winless since the deadline.
Speaker 3: All right, next, Okay, the landscape of college football has changed forever. A century of tradition has wiped out in a day with the PAC sixteen. Change is continuing, right or wrong, you care.
Speaker 2: You're wrong, I don't care. I just don't care. I know that I The most miserable time of my professional career was when I was doing radio in Kansas City. I love it. By the way, that was not the most miserable time my professional career, but this very specific instance of it when the initial conference realignment stuff started and we had to talk about Dan Beebe and the lou Perkins, and it was ku gonna get left down and where Mu's going. I didn't care then when I covered college sports. I don't care now. I just flat I cannot it is. I am wanting to change the channel on my own podcast just having this be in the show. I do not care.
Speaker 3: Next all right, goodness. Season two of HBO's Winning Time debuted this weekend, although with the omission of a notable superstar, Demanse was nowhere to be found. Right wrong Demande should appear in season three of Winning Time.
Speaker 2: We thought he should appear in season two, but he didn't make the cut. He's now in LA I feel like he unfortunately missed his opportunity. I also think he thought he was going to be cast as Byron Scott when we thought he should be cast as Byron Scott, and he didn't. It seemed to really disappoint him. I think he had put a few eggs in that basket. I'd love to see him on there. I don't think it's gonna happen. Also, I don't want. I want. It is important to me that even if Demanse were to like get that opportunity, I would not want him to do it. He probably would do it, but it's the same way I feel about like, if Deanna were to get an opportunity, I want the first child to have like a real screen opportunity to be you, and so I would be really upset if the Well yeah, but I mean, like I just I don't want that's your thing. And Deanna now also wants it to be her thing, but she's so much younger than you, and so I would I don't know, but it doesn't matter. He didn't get cast. He didn't even get a callback, even though I think he would have done a great job with it.
Speaker 3: All right, last one, Okay, it seems like Mark Zuckerbern may actually fight Elon Musk. Elon, who's dealing with a neck issue, says that if I will be streamed on the artist formerly known as Twitter, but zuck says that the Tesla Nerd hasn't confirmed anything yet. Right or wrong, Musk is duckings up.
Speaker 2: I think it's absolutely right that he's ducking him. Listen, Musk is a lot bigger than Zuckerberg. But Zuckerberg literally trains for mixed martial arts. He has like an octagon in his house. He has professional trainers, and if one guy trains and the other guy doesn't. The size part doesn't even really matter. I think Zuckerberg would be a massive favorite in that fight, and I don't think Musk wants anything to do with it. I think, like a lot of things, Musk is a lot of talking, a lot of action. All Right, I would like to answer your guys questions next. Also, producers, if there is a commoner question that took major issue with some of my US Women's National team commentary, If they're there, I can address those for a couple of minutes as well. If they're not there, don't worry about that. We'll do all that next. What's right?
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Episode one seventy. Now we're gonna answer your read your fan question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let start with the number the Darrell Clawton. We'll do the US Women's National team ones at the end.
Speaker 3: Okay, Darrell Claughton says, first time watching the show live, I just want to say that shirt is fire. Where is it from?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, door got it for me? So where is it from? From?
Speaker 3: The Scotch and soda in Spain?
Speaker 2: Uh so? Yeah? Do Youora got this for me when she was on her trip. It was very nice of her, but I had a lot of Scotch and soda stuff. They should be our newest podcast sponsor, by the way, shout out Scotch and Soda and Ted b Where like I wear Scotch and soda like almost every podcast, and Ted Baker stuff. I and Hugo Balls stuff I wear almost every TV show.
Speaker 3: I'll take some Scotch and soda jeans. I'll put that out there.
Speaker 2: Oh will you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll let them know. Oh, right here, I'll take some jeans. Heard it here first? Okay?
Speaker 2: All right? Next?
Speaker 3: Should I go to five or go to the beginning?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, go to Crustacean Yeah.
Speaker 3: Crustaceanation said, I've been seeing some of your poker games on TikTok recently, and I was wondering, what's your favorite hand to play besides a pocket pair?
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I think everybody probably, I think the most fun hands the player probably suited connectors. I think that's for everybody. And I, uh, the yeah, listen, I'm not really on TikTok, but a lot of a lot of my poker stuft from a couple of years ago seems to have like resurfaced on TikTok and some of yours classmates Center some of them and the But I haven't played on TV in a couple of years, and I might be as I mentioned earlier, I might be playing here at the end of the month that you could stream on the Poker Go YouTube channel. I just got to work out the details of it, all right.
Speaker 3: Next okay, Johnston asked where do you think is the best landing spot for Caleb Williams and what is the most likely landing spot?
Speaker 2: All right? The most likely landing spot, without question is Arizona because they're gonna be terrible. They have their own pick, and they have Houston's first round pick, so they're the most likely landing spot. The best landing spot I think. I think the best landing spot would be the Rams. So you have Sean McVeigh and you'd be in LA, you'd be in the NFC. I think for all those, I think the Rams would be the best. But I think Arizona is the most likely of the landing spots. All right.
Speaker 3: Next okay, Lewis Luis l asked, Nick, what do you think? What do you think the chances are that Austin Reeves is the Lakers number one player this coming season. He seems to be cooking it up for the Team USA so far.
Speaker 2: If Austin Reeves is their best player, then it's a total unmitigated disaster. And I like Austin a lot, but it means either Lebron fell off a cliff or got injured, and it means Anthony Davis definitely got injured. There is no scenario where Lebron and Anthony Davis are healthy and Austin Reeves is their best player. There's just none. So that's why it would be a disaster.
Speaker 3: Austin He's gonna come get you.
Speaker 2: No. I like listen, I like Austin Reeves, but he would tell you that he is no change. If he's better than Lebron and Lebron's healthy, it means Lebron that all of a sudden, age came up and grabbed him. And there's no scenario where he's better than a healthy Anthony Davis. It just doesn't exist. Now. Could Austin Reeves, you know, be a fringe All Star maybe, and that would be a great development for the Lakers, but it being their best players, no chance, all right.
Speaker 3: Next one, Michael asked, are you higher on the Cowboy?
Speaker 2: Why are you hiring?
Speaker 3: Why are you higher on the Cowboys than the Niners. This year.
Speaker 2: I just think the Niners. I think them putting all this faith in brock Purty based on the winning record last year, even though the play was not exemplary and coming off elbow surgery is risky, and I think that last year, I loved the roster, I really liked them, and I think they missed their opportunity. And I just I think the people are way too down on the Cowboys. Cowboys went twelve and five and the losses were their first game of the year against the Eagles with their backup quarterback overtime Aaron Rodgers overtime to the Prince and week a meaningless Week eighteen game. They rolled the Bucks in the first round of the playoffs. They then lost to a Niners team that at that point in time had won twelve consecutive games by an average of like seventeen points. And I think people are two down on the Cowboys and a little too high on the Niners. All right now, all take over here On the soccer stuff, Keaton Holbrook says the US women's national team got complacent, moved the goalpost with expectations, celebrating getting out of the group stage, the team was arrogant, have soul searching due after this World Cup listen. I think that's a fair critique. I didn't hate the celebrating after getting out of the group stage. I know a lot of people did, but they didn't seem to have the sense of urgency the moment demanded, and obviously their attacking play was brutal. That to me is a totally fair criticism. How much is on the manager, how much is on that they were relying on older players and not really embracing the next generation. I'm not sure because I'm not gonna pretend like I am following the US women's national team a year round, you know, outside of the World Cup cycles. But yeah, that to me's a very fair criticism. Suavamente said, Uh, the one girl is kind of arrogant, though I don't like that in any of my athletes. Again, that's a fair critique as long as you apply it across the board. I've never understood the concept of people preferring false humility to earnest, honest arrogance, but a lot of people do. A lot of people would prefer their pro athletes or celebrities be fake and pretend to be humble when we know they're not really uh and they and so the that to me is fair, even if it's not how I feel. I'd prefer honest arrogance over false humility every day of the week. But it is what it is like. That to me is not a criticism specific of the women's national team. TJ says Nick trying to make everyone believe he speaks the gospel and political issues is so embarrassing. Listen, I don't think I speak the gospel on a lot of things that are actual politics. You want to have a discussion. It wouldn't be good for the pod, but you want to have a discussion about tax rates, about the most efficient way to actually deal with poverty in America, maybe at being outside of government programs. You want to talk about whether you know America does or does not spend too much on defense spending. You want to talk about whether or not there should be upper bound age limits like there are lower bound age limits on politicians. I will not only will I have those discussions with you if we were to be able to have them, I will have them with you with an open mind because there are a lot of things I'm like, oh, you know more about than me, or I had not considered I am not, you know, locked in on a position where I speak like I speak the Gospel are not on political issues where I speak like I'm speaking the Gospel are on equal rights issues, human rights issues, and those issues go ahead, have been hijacked and turned into political issues. I do not find talking about race to be political, and I would think, and I've made this point before and I will make it again, it is incredibly insulting to conservative Americans to assert that speaking on race in a is it speaking on a racial justice or social justice slant. It is incredibly insulting to say, oh, that's liberal, because the implication there, obviously then is the opposite side of the issue is the conservative position. And who would want to be anti equal rights or anti justice? But such is the world in which we live, where everything is political, and there are certain things that I simply know in the minerals go back.
Speaker 3: There's also some things that just simply aren't really up for debate, shouldn't be up for debate.
Speaker 2: There is a right and a wrong there is that's.
Speaker 3: When people make it political, when they try to find a way to make it to.
Speaker 2: Try to muddy the waters on things, and I am I am actually more strident than I am, actually muting my certainty a bit when I discuss certain things on the show. And I deeply believe that the most vocal critics of our US women's soccer team, the vast majority of them, are bad faith acts, are simply trying to find another another issue to try to further divide us for their own personal financial game. I believe that, and it is It's just all culture war all the time, and it makes us take our eye off the ball on solving bigger ticket issues and bigger problems and really having the ability to move forward. And I got no I have no quarter for it. And so when it bleeds into my world, which is the sports world, it's just I can't stand it. And so do I sound self righteous and self assured and like I'm speaking the gospel? Yeah, And that's just because I have the utter certainty that on these things, I'm gonna fall on the right side of history. And that is exactly as arrogant as it sounds. But luckily I'm right. Talk to you on Thursday