Speaker 1: Hello, faithful, Welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten podcast, presented by Cisco. I'm your host Brian McDonald, joined by forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Plares. In today's episode, we're diving into the start of the NFL free agency signing period and also previewing the twenty twenty five NFL Draft. We've got some updates for Niners fans, but lindsay, what should fans be expecting in this episode? Really, we've got a lot to cover.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of reports going on social media, and I'm not saying to ignore them, but we are not going to be able to talk about them on this podcast, So just be mindful. We are talking about players that have put pen to paper either with this organization or that have already left this organization and put pen to paper at their new landing spot, So keep that in mind as we go through today. But we are going to talk about free agency departures, free agency additions, and then also compensatory draft picks. So we're going to cover a little bit of a little bit of everything in the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, breaking you the most official, most urgent news coming out of the start of free agency. But with free agency, players go, players come, players stay. We'll start with the departures most pressing. Wide receiver Devo Samuel has been traded to the Washington Commanders in exchange for a twenty twenty five to fifth round draft choice. Lindsay, what does this mean for the Niners organization in really the wide receiver room moving forward?
Speaker 2: The wide receiver room is going to look a lot different in twenty twenty five. I think that's obvious. This Deevo Samuel trade has been all over every X timeline, the news, every TV broadcast for really, I want to say, since the combine, when John Lynch was able to really first express Deebo Samuel's desire for a trade. So yeah, obviously a fan favorite gone from the forty nine ers, and I've seen it all over social media, just everyone's reactions, team reactions to this trade. But I think really it was about Deebo Samuel wanting that fresh start, the team honoring that, and he is going to a landing spot that really is a familiar place. And I say that because he's headed to the Washington Commanders, where former assistant GM Adam Peters is now the current GM. There also there is familiarity with quarterback Jaden Daniels. He is a very good friend of Brandon Ayuk, who is on our roster, but they have met through BA, so there definitely is a growing relationship there, it sounds, and I didn't want to move on from Deebo Salmon without talking about his Player's Tribune article, which I really enjoyed reading. I think that was largely to give a proper thank you, not just to the people within the organization, but the fan base that you know, helped lift up Deebo Samuel over the last six seasons. I loved the shout outs to everyone top to bottom in this organization at the very end of it, and he really described his time here with the Niners like a fairy tale. Did you have a favorite apart from that article?
Speaker 1: No, definitely. I think mostly what stood out from the article is just what he means to really franchise history for the forty nine ers. He was a huge part of the Niners identity for these six seasons. I mean, his twenty twenty one season really stood out, earning ap first team All Pro honors in his first Pro Bowl selection. He was a fan favorite throughout the Niners' entire lore for these past six years. So it's really big for the fan base and really big for Deebo Samuel too with his fresh start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he popularized the term wide back. You really was that do it all wide receiver like you mentioned. Twenty twenty one a very productive year for Deebo Samuel also a two time captain on this team, so I know a lot of people are going to be missing him. And he's also joined by Kyle Yuschek, a fullback who has spent the last eight seasons with the Niners. He has been released and also another fan favorite.
Speaker 1: I would say yes. I mean, I think what I'm going to miss most and what the faith We're going to miss most is hearing that juice echoed throughout this stadium for almost every single game at Levice Stadium or even on the road. A fan favorite really globally for the faithful. But Yes, originally drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in twenty thirteen, but came in the first round of free agents under Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch when they came into the Niners regime in twenty seventeen, has had an amazing stint with the forty nine Ers, earned his ninth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl this past season, so a staple in the backfield for the Niners. So that's going to look a lot different with Deebo Samuel and Kyle youues check out of the mix, We're going to have a lot of questions moving forward for the backfield.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Kyle Gyuschek was definitely a playmaker for the Niners, a lead blocker, but also was a really effective ball carrier, a really really reliable pass catcher. So yes, there is going to be some configuration on that offense, and I think we'll get a better look at what that looks like depending on, you know, who puts pen to paper as a free agency addition as we progress through this free agency period that really extends to role weeks, so more moves to come obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with Kyle Yuschik and Deebo Samuel, they really gave the Niners an identity for what they look for in players, and we could use this template as we look at the draft moving forward. The Niners really like those players who are versatile and can do it all. Deebo Samuel, like you mentioned did it all with the wide back Kyle yus Check could fit in almost every position. I think he was punting or holding kicks at one point too.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was an emergency quarterback, an emergency punter, and I think like second in line as an emergency kicker. So on top of just being a do it all weapon, he also had many emergency roles on this team, so we definitely appreciate that about him.
Speaker 1: So two players who can serve as really great templates on who the Niners could look for in this upcoming draft, but also released was defensive lineman Malik Collins and defensive lineman Javon Hargrave. What do you have to say about these two players who are now no longer with the team.
Speaker 2: I think one of the themes of this free agency right was creating that financial flexibility, getting a little bit younger, and it looks like it really is a near fresh start with that defensive line. And those were two players that were going to be a high cost, so that kind of explains their exits. Also wanted to call attention to cornerback Tarvarius Ward spent three years with the Niners as well. He was an unrestricted free agent went on to sign with the Colts, also moving on, and I do think fan favorite as well. Despite his short time here, really really productive twenty twenty three season led the league in passes defense with twenty three that year six interceptions, one return for a touchdown against Arizona Cardinals to help the Niners win the West. I think that's a memory that really sticks out in my head because it just was such a cool game.
Speaker 1: On Friday, March seventh, earlier before we recorded this episode, the Niners claimed cornerback Tray Tomlinson off of waivers from the Los Angeles Rams. He was originally drafted by the Rams and spent two years there. He appeared in fifth team games, registered five tackles eight special teams tackle, so it looks like he could also be a special teams ACE. But staying with the Niners is defensive lineman Kevin Gibbons. He earned a one year extension. What do you have to say about Givens and what he brings and continues to bring for the Niners this year?
Speaker 2: Kevin Gibbins is someone that has continued to be re signed to these one year deals with the Niners. I think a really important depth piece for a forty nine Ers D line that is going to be completely revamped in this second term of Robert Sala. Definitely has history with Robert Sala was definitely here during his first tenures, so there's a familiarity obviously with both Sala. Chris kaserk undrafted free agent, has earned his right to be here year after a year after a year and has appeared in a lot of important a lot of important games for the Niners nine postseason appearances and also had a career best year three and a half sacks last season. Was injured for that later part of the year, got injured Week thirteen. He tore his peck. But you know, I think I think we're gonna expect what we've seen from him, and that's consistently just adding that depth to the forty nine Ers D line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like he keeps on stacking his years on top of one another, especially with his career high. They're gonna have sas last season. So excited to see what's to come with Kevin Gibbons. But the forty nine Ers also tendered a one year contract to restricted free agent running back Jordan Mason. What exactly does a tender mean in this scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think got my first real experience with a second round tender, which is what Jordan Mason has received last year with Duan Jennings. So basically what it means is he is a restricted free agent. So that allows the forty nine ers to match any offer of a team that wants to pick up Jordan Mason and then keep him, or if they do opt to let him go, the team that signs him has to give them a second round draft pick. So it really does work out well for the Niners. If it works out for Jordan Mason to stay here, he will be well compensated. So it is just an interesting kind of little deviation from a normal free agent that is not restricted. And he was one of two restricted free agents for the Niners. Curtis Robinson was the other and he also got a deal today.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, and he was the Walter Payton manadeer. I'm excited to see him in the building for another year. Now, let's talk NFL Draft. Speaking of that second round draft pick with Jordan Mason, some news came out today for Niners fans with compensatory picks. Lindsay, can you explain the difference between what a special compensatory pick is versus just a regular compensatory pick.
Speaker 2: Yes, a special compensatory pick is awarded to teams that help develop talent in house that results in an executive something like a GM or talent developed in house. On the coaching side, the Niners had two of those right after the twenty twenty two season. Former defensive coordinator Demiko Ryans went on to be the head coach of the Houston Texans, and then Ran Karthon, who was the director of Pro Personnel here formerly went on to be the GM of the Tennessee Titans. And so for that reason, the Niners earned a special compensatory pick along with three regular compensatory picks, and they are tied for the most awarded in the league.
Speaker 1: Nice So if we take a total look at what our draft picks look like this year with those compensatory picks, looks like we've got eleven one in the first round, one in the second round, two in the third round, two in the fourth round. One of those is the special compensatory pick, plus another compensatory pick one in the fifth round that came from the trade for Deebo Samuel with Washington, or the trade for Deebo Samuel with Washington and one sixth round pick. There's three in the seventh round. Two of those are compensatory. So looks like we've got a lot stocked up in the draft. And it's easy to see that because it looks like the forty nine ers want to get younger in the upcoming year. We've talked about a lot on this podcast. There's a lot to expect in the draft this year. What are some of your mainstays or what are you looking for or in the draft this year? What do you think the Niners are going to do with all these picks.
Speaker 2: I certainly think that there is a heavier need on defense at this point. The defensive line is going to need a revamp. And again it's hard to say right now because again all the deals that we're also seeing on social media not finalized, so I would like to see how those materialize in order to get a better idea. But I mean, I think there is a need on the d line at the linebacker position, also in the secondary, depending on what Brandon Ayuk's recovery looks like a wide receiver at some point, I don't think that's something that needs to be addressed with a first round pick. But again, there are a number of needs for the Niners at this point and before free agency really takes shape. Because we're filming this a couple hours after that one o'clock Pacific Standard time deadline, it's hard to say for sure at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for Niners fans, I'm sure it hurts with the first news coming out of free agency, but it could also get you excited for the end of April when I start making picks in the draft, and we could get excited for those younger players who are soon to be rookies on the Niners. So a lot to look out for. Faithful, stay buckled in because there's a lot of news, a lot of news to come. So stay tuned for any breaking news from us by subscribing to First Intent on Spotify, Apple podcasts, and YouTube. Turn on your post notifications for any move the chains, breaking news episodes, and Faithful, thanks for tuning in.