Speaker 1: Music Saved Me because writing is personal. It's all about the song. You know, I can sing my face off, but if I'm singing for no reason and like there's no meaning behind what I'm singing, nobody's gonna feel anything. So it doesn't matter how boring. I would get tired of me singing like that.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of the Music Saved Me Podcast, where we explore the profound ways that music connects art to emotional healing and shines a light on the stories of artists who have been personally impacted by its power. I'm your host, Lynn Hoffman, and welcome to the show. Today, we are so thrilled to welcome singer, songwriter and Broadway performer Kelsey Watts.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You may know Kelsey from her viral performances on a little show called NBC's The Voice, where her powerhouse vocals and heartfelt artistry earned her a spot on Team Kelly and millions of fans worldwide. But Kelsey's journey with music goes far beyond the stage and the spotlight. She was born into a musical family and has been using her voice not only to entertain, but also to heal, which is such a beautiful thing both herself and others through original songs that tackle themes of loss, resilience.
Speaker 1: And hope.
Speaker 2: Kelsey's advocacy for mental health is deeply personal. After losing her brother to depression, she channeled her grief into songwriting, creating moving tracks like I Can't Say Goodbye that offer comfort and solidarity to anyone struggling with loss or emotional pain. Her story is a testament to how music can be a lifeline in our darkest moments, a message that truly resonates at the core of this podcast. In this episode, Kelsey opens up about her creative process, her experiences on Broadway and the Voice, and how music's been a source of healing and connection throughout her life. Now, whether you're an artist or a fan, we sure do you hope Kelsey's journey inspires you and reminds you that you are never alone no matter what you're facing. Let's dive into this honest and uplifting conversation with the beautiful and incredibly talented Kelsey Watts on Music Save Me. Kelsey, Welcome to the show. It is wonderful to have you here.
Speaker 1: Hi, Oh my gosh, thank you. What an intro. My word.
Speaker 2: Well, I was so kind, very deservant of it, But certainly I'd love to start with the beginning in your early influences. Can you tell us about your earliest memories of music and how it became such an important part of your life.
Speaker 1: Of course, I really feel so cliche every single time I say this, because it's it's just the truth. I don't remember learning to sing. But the first video we have of me singing, I was two years old in looney tune pajamas, sitting on the fireplace, singing old song called the Basics of Life by a gospel group called for him. And it's just I've just grown up with music. Both of my parents sing and played piano and grew up singing in church. So I really don't remember life with that.
Speaker 2: Crazy enough, that's pretty cool that you have that memory so far back, too.
Speaker 1: Well, I've seen the video, man, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I can't think beyond like ten.
Speaker 1: Two years old. Yeah, no, I couldn't. I do not remember that moment, but I've seen the video enough to where I'm like, well, that was real, So I guess it was me. It was meant to be. It was meant meant to be.
Speaker 2: Was there a moment or a song when you realized that music was a source of healing and had that kind of power.
Speaker 1: Hmmm. I don't know if healing necessarily is the word I would use for it. Like at the first time I really felt like emotionally moved by music. But we were on a vacation and we would always drive because we had five people in our family, And so as we're driving, I remember my parents playing Lem's rob the musical and it was the tenth anniversary edition, and I remember finally understanding like that Fontine was dying, and I was distraught, like absolutely distraught, like crying in the backseat, like, oh my gosh, there's not okay, like, and the five finally like moved, like I was really really moved by it. So that's the first time I actually remember having like an emotional impact by music for sure.
Speaker 2: Who were some of your early influences? This is I love to ask this question because it always blows me away. The younger the people I talked to, the more they listen to music I listened to growing up, which blows me away.
Speaker 1: Oh. I really think it's because that music is iconic, like legendary, it is. It is truly timeless. So I mean Whitney Houston, Seline Yon, Tina Turner. But I was also brought up on you know, def Leppard, the Rolling Stones and Kiss and you know then Kirk Franklin and I mean all of these like combinations, but from me as a vocalist, Whitney Houston and Selene were really really big influences. They just grow That's I feel like, that's all I listen to growing up.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, that explains why you sound the way you do. You give them a run for their money. Now, on your personal journey and challenges, You've been very open about that, especially with grief and mental health, which you know, not normal to talk about publicly, right, I'm sure you know how did music help you process those emotions?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I lost my brother in twenty thirteen. And most of the time, whenever people say they've lost somebody to depression or they've taken their own life like it's not a very popular topic of conversation. But a reason that I love to talk about it is because it gives a little bit of insight into what happens like and everybody story is different, obviously, but for us, you know, Jordan, there weren't telling signs. It's not like there was a big plan out. He didn't leave anything there was. Long story short, Once we got the autopsy back, we found out he had run out of his medication, went from such a high to such a low. It really was a chemical like just his brain literally just broke. So I love to talk about it because it gives people a little bit more insight into what depression is. That it's not just being sad, it's actually a chemical imbalance in your brain, which is every other mental struggle as well. So you know, I love to just give a little bit of education as best I can. I'm not an expert, but I lived it, so I've just I'll just share at least what I've learned. But then using music in order to heal from that is something that I'm able to pass on. Like not only am I able to tell peop, well, hey you're not alone, because I have lived it. So even if I don't know exactly how you feel, I can relate enough and then to be able to put it into music, to be like this song is for anybody that's lost somebody too soon, you know, it's I think it's important because then people don't feel alone, because the biggest way that people like feel isolated is because they think, oh, well, I'm weird. Oh nobody else has ever dealt with this. Oh I'm you know, it's just me. Everyone's going to think I'm a burden or or that this is a weird thing to deal with or struggle with. And the reality is it's not weird. It's very normal, very very normal. And so I think the more that we talk about it, the less taboo it becomes, and the more comfortable other people begin to talk about it. You know what, now.
Speaker 2: It's very giving to want It's so selfless what you're doing. You know a lot of people would turn inward and maybe just being you know, the family or your close friends you would talk to, or a therapist. But what made you want to share this with people? Just just out of wanting others to be okay? I mean, that's a beautiful thing that you do. Thank you easy.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's not and I I really believe it brings purpose to the pain. One thing that my dad has always said is, you know, we are making it. You know, people so often say, oh, we're gonna make it. You're gonna make it. You're gonna make it. And with a loss of this nature and with any sudden loss, honestly, you are making it every day. You have to learn to live with the grief instead of in the grief. And for me, being able to share this story allows Jordan's story to continue to minister to other people, and that feels like it at least brings purpose to the pain because it keeps him alive. Well yeah, oh my gosh, for real, the amount of people that don't have never met my brother but feel like they know him are countless. It's insane.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. What was it like to channel your personal experiences into your songwriting? I mean again very inward and sharing personal things, which a lot of artists don't do. You know, left to kind of figure out how does this relate to my life? But you're like, this is this is really your life?
Speaker 1: Yes? You know it's there's parts of it where it's like, oh, how fun because I can really relate to this, and then there's other parts where it really is painful, and you have to learn how to separate in the moment, Like, sure, you can let yourself feel it, but it's also very important to process deal with it so that way you can write about it and not have like an emotional breakdown every time you talk about it or write about it. Which I'm so grateful for my therapist because she helped the ton with that being able to process the grief. So when I do put it into my music, even though it is raw and vulnerable, I'm able to say, hey, I'm writing a story about this. Yes it's my story, but it's going to do a lot of good because it's going to reach a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to separate that out, I mean, I know, just when I get choked up about anything emotional, I can't even get a word out. I don't know how you could sing without having some type of.
Speaker 1: The first few times it was really hard, especially if I can't say goodbye singing that live, I was like, oh no. And then especially if like my husband's in the audience or if my family's at oh, then I'm like I can't look at you. I need I need to just sit way over there because I will not be able to turn off the house turn around.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Well let's move on to something that I'm dying to know about the voice and Broadway, because these are two humongous things for you. I want to know what your experience on The Voice was like and how it was able to shape you as an artist. I don't really know where you were before you got there in terms of your skills, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. I feel like I'm always surprised with this answer because the public view is Wow, The Voice has created so many artists and this is what they did and how awesome. Realistically speaking, I spent maybe a total of ten minutes with Kelly, who's a lovely human, But as far as being shaped as an artist, I don't think it really was. One thing that it did really teach me, though, was to have a very thick skin and to see this as a business. Like I'd already seen it as a business, but going into it, I had to understand, this show is not going to make me famous, It is not going to be my like I've made it. But what it is going to do is bring so much visibility to me and bring me a lot of eyes that I couldn't even pay for. So it taught me how to really dig into that part of it and then to start showing people who I really am because I was like, that's what people are going to get or want to, like, are going to want to latch onto outside of his show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazingly insightful because no. I mean example, I was featured in a magazine early on. I was working in a town in Boston and short story, my mom said, oh my god, maybe someone will see the picture and they'll offer you a job. And I said, no, it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work that way. No, it'd be really cool if it did, Yeah, wouldn't it. I know. Wow, Yeah, I'm curious your thoughts.
Speaker 2: How does performing on Broadway compared to singing on a televised stage, because a lot of people don't really that the televised stage is for the audience at home. Broadways for the audience in the house.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're so different. It is. It is so different. For I mean even even with six I did a press performance and its performed like to the cameras, and that that alone is so odd. That was confusing. I was like, wait, this is a stage song. How am I doing? Okay, Like my brain sort of like freaking out, But you know on television, yes, it's live. So I mean they're both live, right, but the sound is way different. Audience is like, we didn't have an audience on my season because I was during COVID, so the audience was at home.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, even more strange.
Speaker 1: It was weird. Yeah, it was really really weird. So I was like, I just feel like I'm in an audition every day. Yeah, I bet, But it was more of a Okay, this is going to be taped. There's going to be multiple shots. I know, it's going to be edited together. Nine out of ten they'll add like an effect to the final vocal as they're taping, you know. I mean, there's so much more that goes into it. So with theater, which I think is a million times more difficult, Oh my word, it's you can't like just do it over. You'll be like, oh, hey, hold on one sec. I'm gonna I'm gonna redo that. Like if you miss a note, if you miss the beat, you're you're It's obvious. And there are only six of us on stage, so you really can't. You don't have a lot of room for error. And you're also dealing with a live audience's response when you're playing a character, but you're also interacting with them, but I'm not Kelsey interacting with them. I'm a character interacting with them. So it's there are just a lot more layers, whereas both of them can be really intense and a lot of work. On the television side, I'm just Kelsey Kelsey, and I'm doing this one song, this one performance because it's for a TV show, and everybody knows exactly what it's for and they already like me just because I'm on the voice. And then you're in theater and there have been so many different casts, They've heard so many people sing this song. Some people don't even like theater that have come to the show along with them, you know, and you're just like, hey, oh my gosh, I hope to god you really like this, and you're trying to, you know, be in this character of it also be really entertaining at the same time, on top of doing it eight times a week and you're dancing for an hour and a half and heals every single show, not leaving stage, trying to stay healthy. There's just a lot. There's just a lot more to it. And sometimes people, you know, even though you're not allowed to film, sometimes people will get away with filming, and sometimes it's not a great night, Like if you see bootlegs, which right under it's a very controversial topic, but whenever people you know, like take bootlegs and people that can't don't have access to theater love them because they're like I get to see a show. But then sometimes for the actor it's not their best day, sometimes really tired, and they'll get judged on one single performance where like something messed up, and so it's just I think there's a lot more at risk in a live Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're right, there is. There definitely is. There's a vulnerability and then also that vibe like you said, you know the voice.
Speaker 1: They're all like team but you know Kelsey, and there's a right inside it just because I'm on it. Yeah really yeah, it's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Broadway you're like, you know, people are looking at you like let's see it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you be like what is this? Yeah? Yeah, I mean now, granted, we get really awesome audiences because our show is really fun and nine times out of ten people are very like receptive and super fun, but man, it is very difficult when you get the ones that aren't and they're just on the front row. Yeah, and you got to keep going and smiling. You're still smiling because you're still in character and you're going to give them the same show you give anybody else. So did you learn It's incredible?
Speaker 2: And what a character builder or a strength builder for you personally?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you can think of that you learned personally or as a performer during those sort of really high profile moments in your life?
Speaker 1: Yes, for me, in any performance that I give, whether it's in an arena of fifteen thousand people or on natural television or on Broadway or at home, like I every day, I'm like, all right, Jesus, I'm just singing for you. That's it. And it takes away any pressure I feel to be perfect or to be great or to impress. So I always love. For me personally, faith is a big part of my life, and it allows me to refocus and resenter myself and say, all right, I sing for an audience of one and that's all the matters. So if these people love me, amazing. If they hate me, that's okay. They don't have to love me. So that's huge. Yes, And it did not happen overnight. Let me talk like it took a while because as performers, we like, we love performing, we love performing for people, you know, Like we don't perform for the applause, but if you don't get an applause, you're like, what did I do wrong? Why don't you like me? What happened? You know? And we're so easily influenced to buy audience's reactions or comments online or because we're putting out craft out there and performing. Yes, we put ourselves out there, that's our job, but also it's just being human, like you just want that validation. And so it took me a while to really be able to focus in on that and be like, well, this is why I can be calm on national television, on a Broadway stage in an arena, like because I'm like, I just I'm singing for an audience of one, and that's the way that I stay calm. That's all I can do.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, that is no, but I really for you to be able to figure that out even you know, Also, I would say that most performers want to perform because they want to make people feel good, happy. Yeah, yeah, you know, there's so much selflessness in it. But then there's all that personal stuff that gets in the way. So if you're able to find that faith, as you said, to know that there's no pressure on you really than what you put on yourself.
Speaker 1: It's so true. It is. It's so true. And I'm like, as long as if I'm doing my job, I'm warming up correctly, I know my voice is in the right place and taking care of my body. You know, I'm I know the steps, I know the songs, I know where I'm supposed to be and what I'm doing. Well, then I I don't. I already have the job. So as long as stay good at what I'm doing, I'm fine. So yeah, it takes away the pressure for me to feel like I have to be something that I'm not.
Speaker 2: It's so true to what you just said, and it works in any profession, you know, wherever, whatever you're doing in life. To carry that type of wisdom, it's pretty incredible. We'll be right back with more of the Music Saved Me podcast. And by the way, if you like this podcast, you are going to love our companion podcast called Taken a Walk. It's hosted by my dear friend buzz Night, and you can find it wherever you get your podcasts. Welcome back to the Music Saved Me podcast, the podcast where we discuss the healing powers of music with some of the biggest names in music as well as up and comers. Now, speaking of putting yourself out there, there's a creative process. I would love for you to just walk us through a little bit of your songwriting process and where you find your inspiration to write songs and is are you ever what are you thinking when you're writing? Is this I know people are going to relate to this or is it just your story? What's your process?
Speaker 1: Like? So I really love to write with people's That's what I enjoy. And sometimes you're writing for sync which is TV film, movie like things like that, where you're you're writing a song for a prompt for something to be placed for an advertisement, things like that. And then sometimes you can do both at the same time and you're writing for sinc but it's also for yourself and it's like, well, I could totally release this as Kelsey Watts, but then this would also do really great in a sports ad, you know. I mean, so I like to think that way as well. But I think the best example is the song that I'm about to release in a few weeks is called fit In, and I was writing it with a guy named d Q. He's worked with Gosh, Demulevado, Sosha Fiers. He's a great vocal producer. He's incredible, and he's out of Nashville. And whenever we first met, we just kind of sat down and hung out for a bit. So anytime I'm writing with somebody new, but first like two hours, really you're like, hey, let's go get a coffee. You want to like just chill, you know, let's just talk figure out what life is about instead of you know, okay, we're here, let's write a song. You know very Sometimes yeah, I'm sure sometimes it's like that, but I don't. I don't like that, so I won't work that way because writing is personal. It's all about the song. You know, I can sing my face off, but if I'm singing for no reason and like there's no meaning behind what I'm singing, nobody's gonna feel anything. So it doesn't matter how boring. Like I would get tired of me singing like that. So with this song, we were like, okay, well, you know, what are some things that you've been feeling? How how's life been, or you know, what's something that you've always wanted to say? And we got into this topic of well, I was never the cool kid growing up, Like I wasn't you know, I didn't have a boyfriend. I wasn't invited to from okay, I didn't have a date like what you I never I never had a it from I know, I know, I never did friend like until gosh into college. Kind of yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it tells me that it's not a bad thing though.
Speaker 1: No, it's it saved me from a lot. I'm very grateful. I'm not. I'm not upset. I wasnay in the moment, I wasn't wasn't grateful, but down the line, I'm like, wow, that saved me from a lot of issues. Oh come, but you know, I like, yeah, I mean I wasn't you know, invited to the parties. And I kind of found my community in theater and choir and it was a very very very small community. But I had a couple of friends and I was always got along with everybody. But I wasn't. I wasn't in the it proud, you know. And so we were like, well, why don't we write about that? And so the entire premise of the song was like, all right, well, what if people told you, well, I've been told them a lot, like, oh my gosh, you're just a lot, am Well, you're not my people ben a lot?
Speaker 2: You mean just because you're you talk a lot or have a lot to say or thoughts.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, I haven't had people tell me that lately, like but in like in high school really was like middle school and high school were not fun for me. I did not enjoy them at all. And you know, people be like, oh, you're just a lot, And whether that meant personality was a lot, they never elaborated. They were just kind of mean, you know, So.
Speaker 2: What did you think it was?
Speaker 1: I thought it meant I was too loud, or I sang too much, or I talked too much to people, or like I needed to be more reserved, like my personally that's what you thought? Yeah, Like my person's interested was just like too much to handle and people didn't like that. You did it affect you in a negative way? Oh yeah, Oh my gosh. Absolutely. I felt like I constantly had to change who I was in order to be around people and to be accepted to fit in literally, which is why I call it in I was like, this is it? Yeah, so I mean it was. The whole story of the song is basically a The first line is I know that you think that you're a lot. You love until it costs you all you've got, You water it till you dry with everything you do, and then say you're going to change for real this time. But then you fall off and all in line, and when you look up you find the dirty truth that you're standing in your own way like it. And it's because it's like, well, oh no, I'm totally gonna be I'm gonna be fine, but I'm just gonna be me. And then you find yourself going back into this cycle of like, oh, well, what do people want me to be? And honestly, that was something that I really felt after leaving The Voice was I'd never released music before. I had always wanted to be an artist and felt like I was, but I didn't know how to get into oh gosh, finding producers and writing and doing all of the things, and and so I felt like I was being pulled in multiple directions. Well you should just sing ballads because you sing ballads really well, or well you should do this, or well you should do this, Well, you should just do pop because rock isn't really in right now, so just be pop. And I was like, just pop. So even into you know, being out of the Voice, I felt like I had to fit into some mold and honestly that lasted for a couple of years. Well, I guess what am I supposed to be? Like? I mean, I'm not supering a carpenter. I'm not around around it. I loved them. I think they're both amazing, but that's but that's not me, you know. So I was like, so how do I how do I make myself fit? And it just didn't work. It just simply didn't work. And it wasn't until I really started pouring into social media in twenty twenty three that something finally clicked. Because I was so frustrated with social media I didn't want to do it anymore. I was like, this is ridiculous. Why is everything I do based on numbers? I can't you know I don't have followers because I really didn't. I mean I had like like twenty k from the Voice on Instagram and what like seventy five k on TikTok just from like some videos that my husband had posted that went viral because it was a Disney video, but for me and I didn't have any like fans for lack of a better word, and so I just I was like, I just I'm not gonna do this anymore. And when I stopped trying and put forth the least amount of effort and just stuck my phone in the kitchen and put Brandon's phone here with a karaope track and was making coffee, which is actually my life, Like that's really what I do, you know, wasn't dulled up, didn't have make it bond like walk around in sweats, and everybody loved it. Even then, it took me a while to understand, like, no, people just want to know you. They just want to hear. They just want to hear using. They don't want to see all the extra stuff, like they want to get to know you. And so sure, as an artist, you know, you'll continue to develop and elevate, like the more successful that you get, and you can create all of the things you want to create as an artist, you know, and then you have the budget to create it. One day, yeah, you know, from like amazing one like one day my spectacles will be like Lady Gagaz because I'll have a label paying for them hopefully, or I'll be successful enough to be able to pay for them myself, and like, you know, so you eventually get there. But what I've loved is that people have related to this, and I swear it's because in the song. To bring it back around to the songwriting that I've been doing has been more just of my story and me just being real and while writing in a real way, I've also been putting that in social media, being like this is really who I am. So that way my writing is consistent with what I present just as a human being.
Speaker 2: It makes total sense to me. And just real quick back to your high school. Were you friends with all the different groups of people, like, you know, the kids in acting and then the kids playing sports and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I got along with everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you had to, right, I had to, yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure, and I and I wanted to. I wanted to be everybody's friend because I really love people. But you know, I would I remember specifically because I was now I'm athletic. I was not athletic growing up, and you know, I remember in eighth grade being forced to play volleyball, and every single girl except for one and she's still a friend of mine to this day. Every girl like I want to be No, you can't be on my team. You don't like you don't play like you're not good. And they weren't literally in eighth grade, just like passing the ball back and forth. We're not about to go compete in a tournament. And they just they were like, no, you suck at this. No you can't play with me. And there was one girl that was nice, and I was like, well, thank god, but you were knives, you know, or I've been just awkward. I did. So I was always like trying to be friendly with all of the groups of people, but my close friends, I mean I had maybe one or two maybe, Like I think I still know what one or two people are my school, Like.
Speaker 2: They're the ones that keep you grounded no matter how how you go in life. Is if you're fortunate enough to be able to still keep those friendships from early on that were really tight, you know, they show sure curious.
Speaker 1: I really just became real friends with them in college. We happened to go to those in high school, but it wasn't until out of high school and going into college that we were like, oh, hey.
Speaker 2: Hey, I know you.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, this is great you were nice to about Yeah for real.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm I curious if there are any rituals or routines that you do before you go on stage to perform. I asked this question from some people. I've got some interesting responses, Like Peter Gabriel told me before he goes on stage, he has to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said something else a little more crass, but I'm going to leave it at that.
Speaker 1: I know, right, that's fair. Yeah, yeah, no, it would That is true, especially with six because I'm the one that gets dressed first, and we have half hours, so we don't leave the stage for the hour and a half and so a half hour before that, we're all scheduled, except the show starts at seven. At six point thirty, every queen has a specific time you get into dress because we can't dress ourselves, like it's too complicated, So we have dressers that put us in costume. Yeah, and then a wig prep and so it's all holding. But yeah, you actually have to time out when you go to the restroom because you're drinking water. Because it's trying to take like you're trying to say, hydrate it, but you can't go to the bathroom in the middle of the show.
Speaker 2: No strategic snaps anywhere in the yard, No.
Speaker 1: None, none, You're just like, well, you are strapped in into three pairs of tights an a leotard, and the posters spilt push you on stage. Good luck, come on, like all right, but I mean outside of it, so he is right outside of that. Vocally warm up probably like thirty forty minutes. While I'm doing my makeup, I have to do a physical dynamic warm up because I mean we're doing tuck jumps in heels, so it's it's a lot, so I have to make sure my body is physically warm as well as my voice. So those are the two like biggest I guess rituals you would say. But as a group, once we get on stage, all six of us, like, we'll all stand in a circle and hold hands and we'll all try to synchronize our breathing and we'll say one. Someone else has to say two, three, four or five, six until we get to six. But if we say it at the same time, we have to start over.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool, except for when the curtain goes up and you're still back there. Well, thank you for that insight into it. It's always interesting to hear all of that stuff because you know, we live vicariously through you, especially both of us who would love to do that type of work. In terms of advocacy, let's talk about the impact of what you do. You've used your platform about mental health. I think I may have touched a bit on this up front with your brother, But why is this cause specifically so important to you?
Speaker 1: I think it's important to me because it is so taboo, because there's such a lack of Now there's a conversation around it, but for a very long time there has not been a conversation around it because it makes people uncomfortable. And I get it. It's not a fun topic to discuss. You know. When I went to do an event for DDE hirsh and nine eight eight and performed and went there and you see all these people and every person there is either a survivor of suicide or has lost somebody to suicide, and it's incredibly sad. It's it's very sad, and you're you're there to create awareness and to bring like make a change. But it's also it's a heavy topic, you know, because there's so much more that goes into it. And then I feel like until the last until recently, until over the last few years, there's been a lack of education around it. So I think the more you educate people, it just starts more of a conversation and then if somebody is struggling with depression, they feel more comfortable to say something's weird, like I think I need to talk to somebody. And the people that reach out to me and my family is not less. Still, people reach out all the time. My dad goes and speaks to different youth groups. I'll get asked to do podcasts about it. It's just a it's a conversation that didn't happen as much as I can get needed to. And the more people talk about it, the less people so awkward about it. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And he said it's a very tough thing and it's not fun. But I think when those people listening to you, hearing what you have to say, it might actually turn into something that's a more positive thing for them. The minute they know, oh that happens to you, were you this it's amazing. What message do you hope that listeners take away from your music and your story.
Speaker 1: I hope listeners take away the fact that they belong, that there is hope that they can make it.
Speaker 2: Have you heard from fans who have been impacted by your music and can you share a couple of those stories with us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, it's It's always the coolest thing to have people tell me that they've been moved by something I've written, something I've sung, you know, And it's one thing I will say online people are really really kind to me. I'm very blessed to have people be mostly kind on Instagram and TikTok. So that's so it's always very cool to see people's comments about the songs. Like my brother's anniversary was in May and so that I re shared the music video that I had done for him, and people just concept like I lost my mom, I lost my brother, I lost my dad, I survived, like I mean, just tons. But what's really cool is when I meet somebody in person and they tell me in person and it happens a lot. Crazy enough, it happens a lot in New York, and I get this is this still freaks me out in the coolest way, not in a bad way, but it freaks me out. Let's wait, because I don't expect people to know who I am. I just I just don't. And what's nuts is in New York City, of all places, I get recognized more from TikTok and Instagram than I do and like that I ever have people will come up and they're like, oh, I follow you and your last and oh my gosh, I'm like, oh, bychay, you know, and so it's always like so cool. But at the stage door, specifically, I do my best after every show to go out to the stage door to sign playbills. The only reason I won't go out is if I'm actually sick or my voice is kind of off. But I try to go out after every show. And I had a girl tell me one time because the interactions are typically brief, but I took a second and she said, I just need to say thank you for what you wrote about your brother, because I tried to take my life and thankfully I didn't succeed, but it helps to know I'm not the only one. And it just like stopped me in my tracks because I would I never thought that something I would write or say like that would make such an impact on somebody else. But that is the goal, you know, That's that's the goal of what I want to be able to tell people. And then I have another one that's about you know, female empowerment and like finding yourself worth again and loving yourself. It's called look What You Missed. And I had a girl tell me the other day, she's like, that is my favorite song I get to be awesome And she's like, oh my gosh, she need like twelve and I'm like, what, this is so cool? I mean so so, I've had multiple moments where people are talking to me at the stage door about my music, and that is the coolest thing this is.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're talking to someone else else. Do you feel sort of like what you know?
Speaker 1: Actually eat right? Twilight tone? Still yeah, I'm so serious. I'm like, wait, really yeah cool? Oh my gosh, how amazing. So I knows. What I'm hoping that this next song does is that it reaches just an absurd amount of people, so that way that message can actually scope. That's the goal. I love. That's so much.
Speaker 2: Are there any dream collaborations or projects that you hope to pursue.
Speaker 1: In the future. Oh absolutely, besides the stage like Lady Gaga's I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I would love to do a collaboration with someone like Jelly Roll. I think that would be so cool. I think he's awesome. To work with someone like Pink or Rihanna would also be very very cool. I know I'm dreaming big here, no put it out there, come on, I know we're dreaming really big here. So you know, I also am like, there's there's just so many I mean, I'm a huge fan of Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande like so as far as collaborations, and even Lady Gaga would be just a dream and such a fan of hers. So there's a lot of artists I would love to collaborate with. But another dream would be to originator role on Broadway. Oh so, now that I'm in it, I've actually fallen in love with it. You got the bug I do and so much fun. I'm like, this is but great. So I think it would be really cool too if the greatest showman ever went in to Broadway and actually like came to the States to be able to be in something like that would be so fun, so cool. So I mean, you know, really big dreams and you know, I want to tour. I want to do it world tour and be able to you know, sell out arenas and stadiums, and you know that is that is the goal. And not just for me. I mean like it would be super cool to perform for that many people, but also because I'm like, if I'm at that level, that means that many people are hearing how much they matter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Not to change the subject, I did have another question for you about advice. Well, let me ask that if you were going to give some advice to someone who's struggling right now, and not just struggling, say with the problems that sort of inspire tired you in your life, with your brother, just any problem, what kind of advice would you give?
Speaker 1: I would say anytime I personally am struggling, whether that be feeling lonely, overwhelmed, sad, distant, like finding yourself someone to be grounded with, I think is so important. I think community is so important. And people that are in your same industry is it's really helpful that people in your same industry because they get it, they understand, they understand, So even if it's just it's just one person. You don't have to have an army, You just need just one that you can really hunker down with and be like, hey, I am not okay and then be able to just sit there with you, you know, and not just try to fix it. But I think for me, that's that's been the most healing is having someone like my husband who I can just be not okay with and that is okay. And I'm blessed enough to have quite a few friends that are really that awesome as well. So I would say anyone that's struggling to find a community, you know what, mom, dad, sister, brother, I mean, just anyone, at least just one person is all you need.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing advice. Because the more successful you become, the less you find people. It's hard to find people who are happy for your success.
Speaker 1: I know that sounds crazy but now, but it's it's real.
Speaker 2: So yeah, at any mentors or or somebody that you can just talk to me. But seriously, if it is part of your profession, that definitely helps or in whatever you're doing in life. But yeah, great advice. Okay, So what song or artists have you had?
Speaker 1: Do you have right?
Speaker 2: Now I have I Get a Try by Michael McDonald. I don't know if you're familiar with the song.
Speaker 1: Sort of yacht rocky.
Speaker 2: I love it, but it's like my favorite, even though people say it's not a genre and it was made up or whatever.
Speaker 1: Never cares. What song do you have on repeat? It's going to be a terrible answer. What nothing's terrible? Well no, no, it's going to be a terrible answer because it's not an answer. Okay. So as as a singer, it was constantly surrounded by music. I rarely listen to music.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised by that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I listened to a lot of podcasts, I listened to audiobooks. Sometimes I just sit in silence. But I don't have a song that I'm constantly, like constantly listening to like that, I'm like, oh, yeah, let's go. I mean I have a gym playlist.
Speaker 2: Well, if you hear something, for example, like for I just heard that and I hadn't heard it in a long time, so I just have it on.
Speaker 1: I just listened to it over and over again.
Speaker 2: Agnauseium you know, for the day or the hour or blasted in the car doesn't have to be you know, strict answer, like if you looked on your phone right now, what was the last.
Speaker 1: Song you played? Let's see, Oh, here we go, We're going right to do to day. I love it. I would say, let's see what is it it is? If you want perfection from Death Becomes Her? Wow, there is was the last thing Michelle Williams I've played on. I had just gone to see Death Becomes Her and I looked up the the soundtrack because, oh my gosh, was it incredible? Absolutely phenomenal. But one of my favorites. I think I could always listen to Forever and Always is River by Bishop Briggs.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome. Awesome artists too.
Speaker 1: Like that. Just oh I'm like so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my husband and I absolutely love her. We crank that up in the car. You gotta have a good stereo because otherwise don't even bother listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, yeah, but I would say that that's when I could listen to for Forever and Always and never get tired.
Speaker 2: Of awesome and you know, don't feel like it's weird because I interviewed. I don't know if you know country artists by the name of Craig Morgan, Yes, and yeah, so he said the same thing. You know, I do this for my job, but I don't use it for myself personally, and I don't really have time to listen.
Speaker 1: And it sounds odd, but it doesn't sound so odd because people like, oh, well, you're a artist, you must listen to music all the time, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, but not for fun. Yeah, it's a shame because there's so much amazing music out there. And as somebody comes out with an album and and I'm everybody talks about it. Of course I'm going to go listen to it. But yeah, totally, it's just different. It's so different.
Speaker 2: I don't want to let you go. I have one more question. If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Speaker 1: Hmm? I would say rock and Rio and Brazil.
Speaker 2: Oh, great answer.
Speaker 1: That is where I would want to perform because those fans are incredible. They are absolutely incredible. I just have such a love for the people in Brazil. I did you see that.
Speaker 2: Video on the beach where like millions of people went to go see Gaga perform.
Speaker 1: Yes, Holy cow, that's now. That is insane. I was like, like, is that real? It looked almost like AI, but it wasn't. But I was like, oh, that's crazy. But I did get to. I toured with Josh Stone for a little bit and we played the Town Festival in uh Stapallo and it was it's just so cool to see how much those fans love music. I feel like going internationally. I would also love to go to Asia. I would love to go perform in Asia. They just love music and they love artists, and so I think it'd be a lot of fun to perform for them.
Speaker 2: Well, I know they would love They love you, and something I don't know tells me that you will be very soon.
Speaker 1: It's it's going to happen. I play out there. Yeah, And isn't that funny?
Speaker 2: One percent of people write down their goals, But interestingly enough, when you write them down, they have a funny way of happening. Keep writing those songs. Kelsey Watts, thank you so much for sharing your time with us on music. Save me today and best of luck with everything in the future, and please come back and see us again.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, of course, thank you for having me. I have blasts. I don't want to let you go. It's been a wonderful conversation my soul sister. Thank you so much,