Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio and it's our two on this Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Come on in, stay awhile, gangzol Here Fritzie Seaton, Marv, Pauli and yours truly. Just in time for Valentine's Day, we have two of our most popular flavors of moonshine Tailgate Moonshine salted Caramel and peppermint Bark. They are awesome and a great way to say hun, I love you. Here's some moonshine. Go to Danpatrick dot com. Also, when these two teams last played the most watched Premier League match in US history, does anybody want to guess? Paulie, you and seton being the soccer Officionados get one guess this was the most watched Premier League match in US history. Paulie, I'm gonna go to you first.
Speaker 3: Arsenal Manchester United.
Speaker 4: Seed O Connor, oh Man, that's a good guess. I'm gonna say, uh, Chelsea Manchester United.
Speaker 2: Anybody else went a weigh in? Marvin Fritzy didn't think so Arsenal Liverpool. Oh yes. Most watched the rematch February fourth, at eleven thirty am Eastern only on Peacock, which is where you will find us. That's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so to be able to watch this program and our radio affiliates around the country. Let's clean up our ones poll question and then turn our attention hour two Greg Olsen, NFL and Fox analyst will stop buying about twenty minutes. What do you have.
Speaker 4: Seaton in twenty twenty four? Would you rather be the Lions offensive coordinator or the head coach of the Washington Commanders right now that's at sixty nine percent? Would rather be the OC in Detroit?
Speaker 2: Who would have thought, you know, if I would have said that a few years ago, Hey, would you stay as the OC of the Lions or take the head coaching job of the command Awesome? I don't know if he had the opportunity to take the job with the Commanders unless he was taking their salary that they were offering as opposed to his and maybe Seattle as well. Fifteen million for a guy who hasn't coached before as a head coach. That's a little steep. That's a little steep. So it's being presented in Detroit of kind of the hero returns he's coming back to the staff. Eminem joked that he was going to have a dis track if Ben Johnson left the Lions. He goes, all right, I can stop writing that. I don't have to do a disc track on Ben Johnson leaving the Lions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pauel is the word Johnson easy to rhyme with, ritzy. That'll lead this up.
Speaker 2: To you as the well, you could probably use it as an adjective verb, a noun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he could have fun with that, Yes he could.
Speaker 2: I would think so. But I doesn't have to worry about that. No dis track by Eminem. So Ben Johnson is staying. That means the Commanders and Seahawks still open for business. The Orioles sold yesterday for one point seven billion, the Angelo's family, and I was wondering, like, it feels like billion. Doesn't seem like a billion the way it used to. So you're one point seven My initial reaction was, man, that's all they got for. And I'm thinking, yeah, maybe that's the going rate for a baseball team. Plus, you know your sandwich between Washington, d C. And Philadelphia, You're in a city that you know, financially could be struggling and the Oriols there are still a great brand, great ballpark. But the Angelo's family, I don't know if there's you know, what the working dynamic was or is with that family with the team. But one point seven billion for the Orioles and seems like it's weird to say, Man, that sounds like a good bye. But we're a good dot dot dot buye not a goodbye. But I think because we get drunk with these numbers with NFL franchises, where you go, how much should the Commanders go for five point six billion? Or Denver went for five billion dollars? And you know, we look at some of the other franchises, it's a little bit different. Steve Balmer overpaid for the Clippers, but he could afford to overpay with the Clippers. He wanted to have a franchise and he got it. But sometimes you look at these franchises and they're not all worth with the Cowboys are worth, or the Yankees are worth, or the Dodgers are worth the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Yes, does it feel like you guys?
Speaker 5: In the past two years, more sports teams have sold in a kind of a block of time, not and for hot record prices. I mean, of course the market's going to go up, but it almost feels like some of these owners are cashing out at the peak of the market. And I've seen some stories from like Fortune magazine that says, you know, Daniel Snyder cashed out now because of the pressure of the NFL because this was the time. And Mark Cuban sold what I think forty percent of his franchise. He still controls it because this is the time to do so it's almost like a market move more than sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt like that when people said, why would Cuban be selling, you know, his beloved Mavericks And Cuban's a businessman, and I think that maybe sold off some of the teams so he could do something, you know, different business wise with you know, the whole shopping area around the MAVs arena there, or get a new arena as well. So it seems like a bigger play, a longer play, a different play for him. I don't know about the other owners, but it might be the time to get out. Maybe the numbers are bloated, certainly with the NFL, or at least it always seems like that, And then you look back twenty years from now, and you go, how much they pay for that? Like you know, when the Patriots were sold, what was it a couple hundred million dollars that you pay for that? Like some of these where you go, yeah, that's a good return on your investment.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See was it.
Speaker 4: The Carolina Hurricanes they were sold like six years ago or at least like fifty percent of it or something was up for like four hundred million dollars or something.
Speaker 2: This feels like a bargain. Yeah, but I don't know. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Pull the Angela's family paid one one hundred and seventy three million in nineteen ninety three, so they made almost exactly ten times profit.
Speaker 3: Okay, good for the got a break?
Speaker 2: Good for the all Right, our two pole questions, Seaton, Well, would you like a greg Olsen specific poll question? Sure?
Speaker 4: In honor of our guests. Sure, greg Olsen should chill at Fox and bite his time or get out find a new home.
Speaker 2: And no other options there. Those are basically the two he could either stay or go. I'm not sure what the third one was. Would you ask for a trade if you're Greg Olsen? No, I'm serious or announcer to be named later, Yes, or a cartoon. Al Michaels was traded for a cartoon. Right if You're If You're Greg? Okay? But NBC already has collins Worth, ESPN has Aikman, CBS as Romo. Where is Greg Olsen gonna go to be the number one analysts?
Speaker 7: I don't know where you go?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tony, Tony? What do you think? Could Greg Olsen take over your job with Jim NaN's I don't really.
Speaker 1: Know what is he coming?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 7: Is he goes?
Speaker 3: You should be able to pick that.
Speaker 2: I love at the very end when you say, well, what do you what would you do?
Speaker 4: He only said that one time, but it's like for me, it's it's the punctuation on every sentence he says, not what I'm here for.
Speaker 2: I think that's your job. And they may run and they may throw Jim, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I don't know. This is a big call. What would you do?
Speaker 2: Not exactly insightful? You know, we're just having fun.
Speaker 5: You're like watching Meet the Press and the guy goes to the you know, the president. You know what should do here with this situation?
Speaker 3: I don't know what would you do? Yeah, that's not what I'm here for.
Speaker 2: Peace?
Speaker 1: I don't know what would you do?
Speaker 2: What would you do? Yeah, what would you do with putin?
Speaker 1: I don't know what would you do?
Speaker 3: Chuck Todd making decisions?
Speaker 8: Yes, Dud does the same that long ago when we were talking about how does he go to his crystal ball and predict every play before it happens?
Speaker 3: How do we get to this place?
Speaker 2: I know, you know. Plus he's gonna have that standalone game doing the Super Bowl. Ever, everybody's going to have an opinion on Tony, everybody, And I don't think it helped Tony that he had the previous game over the weekend and then it led into Greg Olsen's game, so you could compare those two and that's what a lot of people did. And I thought Greg Olsen had a really good game. Like it's I just want football fans know football. I think you want to know what did you pick up in the moment, Like what did you see that I didn't see without being lectured on it? And I think that's really the key. Tom Brady says that he's been stuffy broadcasters here. You'll have to be yourself, and that's the hardest thing in this business. When somebody says, just be yourself, Well, you don't know who you are. Tom Brady doesn't know who he is as a broadcaster now, as a quarterback, or maybe a guy who talks about football behind the scenes with his buddies. But when every word is going to be analyzed and he's got this massive deal and we're going to expect Tom Brady to be Tom Brady the quarterback, the greatest of all time. And there have been a lot of guys who have done this, Jim Brown, Joe Montana. I mean, I've worked with a number of guys who were great players, they weren't great broadcasters. And sometimes it takes somebody who wasn't a great player, because the great player may have a hard time understanding why they're great. They just do it. Whereas the guy who has to watch others do it to try to be better, to try to compete. It feels like they're more analytical they see it, whereas you know, I just do it. Like if I said to Josh Allen, explain you know how you do what you do, he might not be able to do it. Or Michael Vick, Patrick Mahomes, they might not be able to explain it. And I always go back to when I ask John McEnroe, how do you do what you do? And he goes, I don't know. I just do it like it's all reactionary. But I mean, you prepare for that moment. But in real time, Tom has to be ready to go and tell you what just happened. And I'm sure he has the football acumen to be able to do it. Can you get it out? And let's say twenty seconds, because that's what it comes down to. It's play by play. Then you look back, the analyst says, but he I saw this, this is why this happened. Then they show a replay and then you say a little bit more and then you come back play by play. So it's twenty seconds. It's twenty seconds back to play by play, might be thirty seconds, might be ten seconds. Hey be quiet, the official is going to give us the call on this. We're going to commercial break, like all of these things where somebody going to be talking in Tom Brady's headset. And it's different than you know, the offensive coordinator or Bill Belichick talking to you prior to, you know, the start of the play. He's going to be hearing things. You've got to talk sometimes when somebody's talking to you. You've got to get along with that play by play voice. You know, he has to be able to see. I think Jim Nance does an unbelievable job because he does have to kind of fit into Tony Romo's world, because you got to go okay, Tony, and then he'll say what he says, and then sometimes you may go long, or he might say something that's a question and Jim has to get it back to the game itself. You know, Joe Buck has it easy. He's been friends with Troy for such a long period of time. They know each other. And Tarico can work with anybody. Collinsworth can work with anybody. Having that, you know, I thought Herb Street and Al Michaels, you know, it took him a little while to sync up. But Herbie's been working with Chris Fowler for a long period of time, and Al was working with Chris Collinsworth. There is and even when I did Sports Center, and I'd have a certain co host working with them to understand sort of what they do, how they do it. Kenny Maine would be different than you know, working with Rich Eisen and you would have to adjust that way because everybody. You want everybody to be at their best. And I think that'll be a challenge for Tom. And it's not can you be critical? I think that was the common mistake that I had. I remember interviewing Troy when he was ready to take over the job. This is many, many years ago. Joe Buck had a golf tournament in Saint Louis and I remember talking to Troy and he's just getting into broadcasting, and I said, you know, are you able to be critical? And it's really not that. I think you have to just what you see, You say what you see. You don't go out of your way to be mean spirited, but you have to be honest with what you see. If it's a bad call, a bad pass, somebody should have had something, then you call them out because that's the fans know that they want you to, you know, point out, oh my god, look what just happened there. And I think that'll be important for Tom. You don't have to be highly critical as much as you have to be highly analytical, and I think there's a difference in that. All right, So the pole question for hour two is what seat O'Connor. We're going to say, should Greg Olsen stay or go?
Speaker 9: Uh basically yeah, yes, yes, okay, you could stay and be the number two team there.
Speaker 2: Tom's got a ten year deal, by the way, and you know who negotiated that, Rupert Murdoch's son at box. Yeah, personally negotiated that. Yes.
Speaker 5: But Greg's kind of in the position where like Tom Brady's backup quarterbacks were a few years are like Matt Matt Castle or Garoppolo. He came in because Brady decided to wait a year, did really well, probably overachieved and had a big stage this weekend. Now feels like he's being you know, big footed by Brady. But there was a contract in place. But it's working on I think very well for Greg. It may take a year.
Speaker 2: The last guy I want to be a backup quarterback too is Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Well unless plays forever, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't. He got injured one year.
Speaker 5: But the exposure that Olsen got this one year because Brady sat a here.
Speaker 2: Is but he can't capitalize on it.
Speaker 3: M I'm taking Olsen to get a pay raise in the next year.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, okay, give him a pay raise.
Speaker 5: I think I think it makes quite a bit. Yeah, I don't know. I think there's gonna be some shifting next year. All right, let me take a break. Greg will join us here coming up next year on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six m Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Paulli Foosco here with Tony Fosco.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: Of course you know.
Speaker 10: Us as the host of the number one rated show and all the sports talks, the Paully and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 10: Now, the suits at Fox Sports Radio gave us this ad time because they wanted us to.
Speaker 3: Tell you how great our show is.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Instead of us doing that, let's just let our millions of fans do the darker. Yeah't play the tape you don't know, crap about four own this crap, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 1: Whoa, that's the wrong tape, wrong tape. Just forget that. Look.
Speaker 10: Listen to the Paully Tony Fusco Show on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: He's the man of the hour. He's Greg Olsen, Fox NFL Analyst. For the second straight year, de Jiorno is giving fans a chance to win free pizza the Kicker Doinks at any point in the Super Bowl Uh, Kevin and Greg will team up with Jorno do celebrate the all pro combo pizza and football and discuss the Big Game's unpredictable outcomes. And for more on this special discounts. To enter for a chance to win, go to didjornodoinks dot com. Greg Olsen joining us on the program. Greg, good to have you back. Let me go back to the fourth down call by the Lions and you said they disguised their coverage. The Niners disguise their coverage on Jared Goff. When do you realize this and how that's going to affect the play and what you're going to say on TV?
Speaker 11: Yeah, So what happened was, so what a lot of teams do is they use their backs to their tight ends and they put them in unconventional formations where maybe they're outside the receiver or they're in the slot and they want to get tells. So what happened there early and when we came back and showed the replay as Drake Greenlaw was walked on, Jamier Gibbs was he was the furthest receiver out to the right. So that was the man tell for Jared Goff. See GoF he brings Gibbs in from being out wide to put him back in the backfield next to him in the gun, and then GoF gives the hand signal or the check or whatever the play's gonna be, so you'll see green Law comes back in with him. So it looks again that's a man tell, you know a lot of the times, and give credit to San Francisco and Wilkes, they ended up just zoning it out.
Speaker 7: They ended up just shelling it out.
Speaker 11: And they're running mesh, you know, which is like guys crossing each other, like running shallow drags, trying to run interference and run their man's and you know, run their man coverage into each other.
Speaker 7: And they were running a man type.
Speaker 11: Concept against what ended up looking like man but playing like zone. And that's why GoF had nowhere to go early he tried to flush and get it late down the field Dom and Ross Saint Brown and was just off balance and didn't get enough on it. So those are critical moments in the game, right. That's the chess match, back and forth, pre snap tells, post snap tells, and in that critical moment they San Francisco got to stop.
Speaker 2: They needed Yeah, you did a great job in seeing it and saying it, because you got to do it quickly. Play happens? Now? What happened? Do you watch on the monitor or do you watch onto the field?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So my process is so I have two monitors. So I have my telestrator, which is like the production that's what everyone sees on their TV at home, right, That's I have no bearing on that. That just is just a copy of whatever is being broadcast into, you know, into the homes. I have a skycam, which is like you know, the cable cam behind the quarterback. So I have that monitor, and then I have an ALL twenty two. But those are all on delays, so they're on about a four second delay from what's actually happening on the field. So I watch it live on the field, which in essence is like an ALL twenty two, like you know, from above, and then I see it and then by the time Kevin is done with his call, I can then either go to the ALL twenty two or the sky based on what I want to see, and then I can either confirm I can finalize numbers, get my make sure what I saw live is actually what I see and then by the time it's on my telestrator, by the time it's you know, Kevin has done and I got.
Speaker 7: To jump in to talk, I have a pretty good sense. I saw it live.
Speaker 11: I saw it on a quick, little four second delay, so I'm pretty certain that what I'm going to say is what happened and doesn't always play out that way, but that's you know, that's the method that I've developed in the booth the last couple of years, and it's helped me just make sure what I say, I'm confident is what really happened.
Speaker 2: And players will talk about the game slows down when you play the game, like after a couple of years, you eventually see it differently. Quarterbacks talk about it it slows down a little bit. As a broadcaster, did it slow down for you where it became easier? Oh?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, you know my first year, I think I always joke now with with our producer Zee. I always say, like, when I first started doing this, I only had like a couple of camera angles and it was probably for the best.
Speaker 7: You know, they probably had more. They just didn't want to overwhelm me.
Speaker 11: So my replays were, you know, behind the defense, behind the offense.
Speaker 7: Every once in a while in all twenty.
Speaker 11: Two from above or just like an ISO shot, it's just all right, it's going to be on you know, ce d Lamb, or it's going to be on am you know whoever that was it. And I would just do my telestrations and do my But then when I as I kept going, I realized, oh my god, there's a million more cameras, and you just get more comfortable, you get more fluid. Hey, whatever they throw up on the telestrator, it's not going to catch me off guard anymore. But watching the plays unfold on the field was always very natural to me. I'll tell you the biggest transition Dan that I had was for my whole career watching game film, I would always watch it from behind the offense. So that was my perspective of seeing NFL football forever. And now we sometimes do it from behind the defense. They call it pit or you do it from like a corner sideline where so you want to talk about the left guard, but now you're doing it from behind the defense, so he's actually on the right and you know, so like little things like that. I had to like retrain my brain that, Okay, for fourteen years, you watch film like this, Well, this isn't film, this is live television, and we're not going to just show the same camera angle for three hours every weekend. So little things like that you get better at. And my team spent a lot of time with me helping me progress through a lot of those things.
Speaker 7: Early on.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the Lions calls with a fourth down. Did you agree with the calls and the plays that were called, because they sometimes you can call the right play but it doesn't turn out well. But I'm curious from your perspective now three days later, did they make the right calls on those fourth down?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So, first and foremost, I think going for it was the right move for multiple reasons. And I know this has been like the hot button topic now since the game ended, and we said it very early in the game. There's a way to be aggressive in the NFL. There's two ways you can be aggressive in your play calling, which we didn't think was what they were going to do. I don't think Detroit wanted to come out and throw the ball fifty times and throw it down field. And hold the ball and let that rush. And I think that plays into the teeth of this San Francisco defense. So they ran the ball. We said, hey, lean on your run game, run the ball, run the ball, and they did in the first half especially. But you can be aggressive in your game, in your game strategy, in your game management, right, and that's where Dan Campbell has. No one's run more fake punts, no one's converted more, no one's attempted more fourth downs or converted more. That's been his style since he took over three years ago, trying to build this winning culture there. So when you're in a game like that against San Francisco, the best part of your team, if your Detroit, is your offense. So if you're going to put the burden, if it's a coin flip decision or it's a I owe, if I'm Dan Campbell, I don't blame him for always putting the load on his offense. It's the best unit of the team. They scored thirty one points and lost. The notion that more conservative game management was the answer to score more points. That's just not how the NFL works. So the notion of hey just take the points, there's no take the points on forty eight yard field goals. These are not gimme chip shots. So I think that's where people lose. It's like, hey, forty eight yard or just tie the game up. Well, last year in the Super Bowl, we watched Harrison Buckner on fourth and three in the first quarter. Hey, San Francisco with seven seven? Just I mean Kansas City, go take the lead early, get the lead, and he jointed it off the left crossbar. He's the best kicker in the league. They thought they were taking the points on fourth and three and the scot so like, that's the narrative. We have to stop. When the kicker misses it, it's the kicker. When they go for it and they don't make it, it's the coach.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Greg Olsen, NFL on Fox Analysts joining us courtesy of di Jorno for more on what he's doing. Didgornodoinks dot com? Since you played the position, how would you defend Travis Kelce if you're the forty nine ers, whether it's there safety or their linebackers. What does he do and how do you stop what he's doing? From your perspective, Man.
Speaker 7: It's it's hard.
Speaker 11: You know what he's doing is unprecedented. And you know, I've been on record calling his games and set it on broadcasts, and I think we're starting.
Speaker 7: I never thought anyone would ever.
Speaker 11: Catch Tony Gonzales from a production standpoint, from a lang longevity of his career and what he was able to do was pretty remarkable when you saw Tony compared to the you know, two, three four guys as far as production and what he was able to accomplish over a long time. I think Kelsey's either arrived already or he's nipping at his heels because he should have had eight thousand yard seasons in a row. He didn't play in the last game. I think he needed like fifteen yards, so in essence, he was going to get it. It wasn't that big of a deal to him.
Speaker 7: His playoff records.
Speaker 11: I mean, when you're breaking Jerry Rice's records, you're entering a new stratosphere of production in the postseason. But as far as stopping him, I don't I don't know if you're ever going to like completely shut him down. I do think the challenge of Kelsey is he's not running conventional routes that you can really prepare for it's not Hey, he's going to run fourteen yards and hook a left and he's going to catch this ball two yards outside the hash mark.
Speaker 7: So on your zone.
Speaker 11: Drops drop there, right, You're not because if you drop there, he's going to stop his route and end somewhere else, like he's playing improv in the moment, real time decision route running, and Mahomes sees it the exact same way. So it's very hard. So I how I would defend him. I think you got to get on them. I think the more space he has to run and weave and find feel him and Mahomes are just playing at a different level than maybe anybody ever, So I think you got to get on them. I think you got to reroute them. I think you've got to be at the line of scrimmage getting them with people behind you to help. I don't think this is like, hey, one zone coverage, one concept, one player.
Speaker 7: This is a group.
Speaker 11: Effort, and you have to be really good and critical downs because when it matters the most, Mahomes is throwing him the ball, so you better have an answer for him.
Speaker 7: And very few teams.
Speaker 2: Have given your situation at Fox. Now, as a broadcaster, what do you want to do moving forward, I want.
Speaker 7: To call top games.
Speaker 11: You know, Dan, I feel, you know, two years ago and when everything unfolded, and you know, obviously I've known Tom was coming for you know, over you know, two years, a year and a half, whatever you want to call it, and uh, you know that part of it. We always knew. It was a matter of when. We didn't know exactly when the timeline. It ended up not coming this past season, which gave me a second year with Kevin in the booth with the A team. But you know, going forward, my goals haven't changed. You know, my goals when I started out calling games with Fox, you know, three years ago, was I aspired to be a top broadcaster.
Speaker 7: I really thought I could do it.
Speaker 11: I thought if given the opportunity and the chance, I could show people that I could do it. And I got the opportunity and Fox was kind enough to give me that. And I think over the last two years we've really changed the narrative. I think we've changed where hey, this is just a placeholder. This had got of being like no, this, this guy can do it. So my goals and aspirations, if anything, have even gotten more committed to I want to call top games. I want to call games in front of fifty seven million people and dive into the biggest moments and why it's happening. And I feel like we've done as good a job as that as anybody in the industry over the last couple of seasons. And where that is, how that is, when that is? I don't know right there's so many moving parts out of my control. But my goal is to be a top A broadcaster again, and I'm going to do everything in my power to achieve that. And that's been the goal that I've laid out since I entered this field upon retirement three years ago.
Speaker 2: Would you ask for a trade.
Speaker 11: I'm not really in the business of making demands. You know, I'm not sitting here holding anyone's feet to the fire. At Fox. It understands the position I'm in. They understand what my aspirations are. You know, we're not sitting there banging the table and saying you have to let us get you know, We're not in that. We're not doing that. You know, we understand what we signed up for. They understand where I am and being at this stage of my career of where I want to go and I think we're all we understand the delicate situation.
Speaker 7: That we're in, right.
Speaker 11: I understand when Tom Brady's looming over your shoulder, it's the biggest news in sports.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 11: He's Tom Brady. He's someone I've respected for damn twenty years. So I understand the uniqueness of what's going on. And I feel like we've handled it as well as we could for the last two years. And if I can get another opportunity to call top games at Fox or somewhere else, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Speaker 2: If I put you and Brady in the octagon and the winner gets to call the top games on Fox, that'd.
Speaker 11: Be quite That'd be quite the pay per view. I think Tom stays in better shape. I think he works out more than I have. My men's tennis, my men's tennis clinics on Wednesday night.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 7: I don't think me quite in fight and shape. And I'm not.
Speaker 11: I'm not fighting Tom Brady. That's a losing battle you're probably not gonna win.
Speaker 2: Give me the plug that you and Kevin are working on before we say goodbye.
Speaker 11: Well, we talked about it earlier with the doint from last year, so again for the second year, de Joino's got this fun program where if one of the kickers doinks the ball, you know, so for those who don't know, doink is like the ball hits the upright the crossbar and makes you know, makes the doink noise, which there was one last year the Chiefs kicker Harrison Buckner, which again was fourth and three and he doinked it. So we can leave that there. If you register, you go to Johno doinks register, you enter. If there's a doink in the super Bowl, you get a chance to win free pizza and football the super Bowl win free pizza.
Speaker 7: It's a win for everybody but the kicker.
Speaker 2: I guess you did a great job, and you're doing a great job answering these questions. I know that you're getting the same ones over and over and everybody thinks there's going to be a different answer. So good luck this and uh, there's no shame in if you're calling you know, the second best games on Fox. Yeah, I mean you're you're still doing it for a living and that's really important. But wanting to be better, greater, that's the important part. Uh. You know that game should not mean less because it's not as important as you know that the Marquee game. So good luck with that as you move forward, and you and Kevin certainly made a wonderful team.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Greg, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: That's Greg Olsen, NFL and Fox analyst, former tight end to three Pro Bowls and uh first round pick by the Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was well handled by Greg Olsen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was both a confident answer but using the word word we often, you know, like we, here's what my team, my people. You know, it was very well answered with your question because it's a tough situation he's in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can't say, you know, I'm better than Tom and he might be better than Tom.
Speaker 5: It's better if we say he's great, yeah, and if he says he's great. Yeah, but he's confidence was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well he.
Speaker 2: Should have that. Now, you called a game in front of fifty seven million people. I mean I handed out a Super Bowl trophy in front of one hundred million, but like that. Yeah, yeah, haven't asked me back though. Yeah, you chose like Ben Jonson, Yes I did. I chose not to hand out the Super Bowl trophy. Because your demands were also crazy. Sorry, yeah, I had crazy demands there.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh Marcus, Marcus, I only want to head it to Tom.
Speaker 3: Yes, he retires, I retire.
Speaker 2: Yes. If Tom's not playing, I'm not handing out super Bowl trophy.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Hey, Marcus, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey morning, Dan, first time, long time, five six, one fifty. Oh that's awesome, fucking list check excellent. Hey, first up, Dan, I've been driving about seventy thousand miles a year for about the last twenty years. I cannot say how much I appreciate you the dan As for making the three hours of my dreve each day drive go buy so quickly, bless you like fristy. I'm scared to death what I'm going to do after you guys are ton in a couple of years. So I know, I know We're a football season at the top of mind. Have next two weeks full of pitchers and catchers reporting here news of my upstart Orioles getting sold by a group to a group that includes how Ripkin was music in my ears just cherious on your tape, on the tape of ownerships impacts on successive teams in general, including my Orioles, and again bless you guys. Appreciate y'all hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Marcus safe travels there. Yeah, if Rip's involved in it, I mean, that's wonderful and get that name recognition. And you know, I don't know what the Angelos standing was in the community by people cover the team. Uh, but I think having Cal Ripkin there can only be a positive. And you know they've had some success. You know, they drafted, had some good draft picks here. Still, that's a great uniform, great logo, the Orioles. All right, when we come back, it's the Tom Brady Game. I don't know if this is the new time Brady game, all new, the all new Tom Brady Game. We'll play it after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. I'm looking at the numbers here. Since Dan Campbell took over as the Lions head coach, fifty four games, he's gone for it on fourth down one hundred and twenty three times. He's converted sixty five times. At fifty two almost fifty three percent. Nick Siriani, Yeah, he's at sixty three percent. Kevin Stefanski is second on the list at almost fifty percent. That the Browns have gone for it one hundred and seven times and converted fifty three times. But as Greg Olsen said, look, he agreed with them going forward on fourth down. That's who you are. Your offense is the best side of the ball. I really believe that Dan Campbell knew his defense. It wasn't a question of if, but when they were going to allow San Francisco back into this, and I think they got to the point where and he got to the point where he needed to go forward to continue to put pressure on them. But Greg Wilson's right, if you said the Lions were going to score thirty one points, you would think that would be enough. Now, the Lions defense certainly didn't live up to its portion of the game. All right, Time to play the Tom Brady Game, the All New Tom Brady Game and Paulie takeover as the host of the All New Tom Brady Game.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan, all Right, game show music Right, it's a two part game. How is Tom Brady used next year by Fox as a straight game analyst or are other elements mixed in with it.
Speaker 3: It's part two.
Speaker 5: If you were predicting the reaction to Tom Brady's first couple weeks on air, they will be what I'll go to Fritzy Firs two parts.
Speaker 8: I think that they're gonna have him try to do a little of everything. I think it's gonna start within the in the broadcast booths, but he should be expected to have other roles. And I know we had talked about this before in TV and movies and stuff, But as far as the sports, I think they're gonna try him out in the studio as well through the course of that first season. And I think the reviews are gonna be mixed, but they will be negative at first, and then we will gradually he'll gradually improve and they will gradually notice that improvement, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Hopefully Tom uses bravity too when he was broadcasting there, Seaton, don't go to you. I'm sorry, what was the question again?
Speaker 3: Okay, a long time ago?
Speaker 2: What will Tom do and how will it be received? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's well.
Speaker 4: I think he's gonna be in the booth, that's pretty clear. I think it's gonna be a negative. I think that Tom Brady is a big name, but he has a lot of people who really don't like him, So I don't think he's gonna get a warm reception.
Speaker 2: Okay, more polarizing Tom Brady or Taylor's whiftop Marvin.
Speaker 12: He's going to be in the booth because they're paying him a ton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the.
Speaker 12: Review is going to be negative, even if it's unfair, you're negative.
Speaker 2: It'll be in the booth. I think the reviews will be Hey, he's surprisingly good. I think people will be surprised at how Tom sounds kill. We're not used to hearing Tom do a game, and I think when we hear it, how he fits in with the cadence there. There's a there's a like a syncopation here that happens. It's you have to understand the rhythm of the game, the role you play. I think people will be pleasantly surprised at Tom's performance.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is not meant to be disrespectful to the job at all, but but Tom Brady, I feel like, is bigger than that job. And to me, the thing that I'm really struggling with is, obviously, you want the name on your team, but what do you do with them? To me, it's not, well, put him in the booth and I'll call Lions games.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I just don't think that that's what you should do with him, and I think he might be very good in that role, and he can probably analyze a game just as good or not better than anybody. I think that you need to get him with players because that's where you really see his personality come out. And you need to get him on the field with guys where they're like a Tommy and you get to see the real Tommy come out, or the we see Tom Brady, but players know Tommy.
Speaker 2: We need to find Tommy and get him on TV, just like Belichick when you hear man he's got a great sense of humor. Yeah, dude, hilarious. You need to find that guy and have him be a broadcaster. I don't know that Tom Brady is going to do it, but if you could get Tommy, now you really have something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, I think he'll be using the booth because that's a contract, but I think he's going to take over straight Hand's role ABU doing the player interview for the pregame show. Tom will sit with Mahomes. Tom will sit with Saquon Barkley and he'll be a big chunk of the pregame show. And I think he'll do cut a halftime. They'll go to Tom out in the at the thing. They'll be use them like the way the Manning cast. You know, they don't just let the Mannings do the Maning cast. They're in all other elements of it.
Speaker 2: Peyton, But does the Manning cast feel elevated over just calling a game, even though there's more people who are watching the game itself. But I'm just thinking of of Tom's contemporaries that you know, you have Peyton running a business. John Elway was, you know, running a team. Joe Montana is not doing anything now. But I'm just wondering Tom doing a game. You know, Troy's doing games as you know, a Hall of Famer. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See the problem with doing another Manning cast is that you're doing another Manning cast, You're going to do a worse version of what they're already doing, just perception wise, it's not going to be as good. They're going to try to improve on something that doesn't need to be improved on right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not saying he should do. That I'm saying is what the Mannings do feel elevated from just calling a game, Like they're on constantly. You see them all the time. They're having fun, They got their buddies there, whereas Tom's gonna be calling a game and not every game's going to be you know, the Lions against the forty nine ers with you know, fifty one million people. So that that's what I was sort of wondering. Is it going to be exciting enough for Tom Brady?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, Like the Mannings have an entire business, they have it a whole production company, and I kind of thought that's the way Tom would go. I think people were surprised when he took this job.
Speaker 2: Well, he's also involved with the Raiders, but I don't know if he's to what degree if the owners have approved that. But being involved in ownership, Okay, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 12: You guys are just talking about the excitement of being out there and being at stadiums. Him being in a studio, that might be after one season, all right, this is enough. I can't be in a stuffy studio in wherever they're studio in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Oh no, And that happened when I did Football Night in America. You know, Drew Brees, if you go into the studio, it's sterile, Like these guys are so used to going into a stadium and you're being with people and you feed off the crowd. And Drew Brees went in there and you know didn't enjoy it. Even Tony Dungee and Rodney Harrison when they went in there. You know, I said, look, it's a sterile environment. You have to create the excitement, the tension because you don't have to create that when you go to a football field, go into a stadium, even if you're not playing, it's there. And even when we would be on the road, whether it was for a conference title game or we would be at the super Bowl, that energy. You could tell the former players, former coaches. It was different, completely different when you get out in the elements as opposed to being in a studio. Coming up next hour, I think the NBA has a scoring problem. There's too much scoring. Jim Jackson, former All NBA guard NBA on TNT will join it. Coming up. Also, it's Steph Curry against Sabrina Ironescue three point contest. I love that she uses the WNBA ball from WNBA three point range and he, of course abides by the NBA rules. I love it. Final hour on the way