Speaker 1: On June seventh, twenty eleven, twenty three year old Rondel Moore was driving down South Stony Island Avenue in Chicago with his friend and his brother. Rondell was having car trouble, so they pulled into a gas station. While Rondell and another man looked under the hood, a black sedan pulled into the lot. A gunman exited the sedan and opened fire on Rondel's car. Two men were injured, and Rondel Moore was fatally shot. An APB went out for a black sedan in the area and a young man in a black sedan was arrested. Eventually, that young man said that he had dropped off someone nicknamed King Chucky at the gas station. Police scoured social media and found Darien Harris aka King Chucky, who was subsequently identified from a lineup by three witnesses and sentenced to seventy six years. But this is a wrongful conviction. Wrongful conviction has always given voice to innocent people in prison, and now we're expanding that voice to you. Call us at eight three, three, two oh seven, four six sixty six and tell us how these stories make you feel and what you've done to help the cause, even if it's something as simple as telling a friend or sharing on social media. We've really appreciated hearing from our audience so much so that we've included one of the messages at the end of this episode. So stick around for that, and if you have something to say, we definitely want to hear it, and you might just hear yourself in a future episode. Call us A three three, two oh seven, four six sixty six. Welcome back to Wrongful Conviction today's story. You're going to be stunned at one particular aspect of this case. That is like it would be more appropriate for a movie that was set up as a comedy than something so deadly serious as this case. It's my great honor to introduce our two guests today. First of all, a name fans of the show will recognize Lauren Myers Koff Maller of the Exoneration Project in Illinois. Lauren, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Jason, I'm excited to be back with a newly released client.
Speaker 1: Darien Harris. Darien, I'm so sorry for what you've been through that brought you to this microphone today, but we're honored to have you here as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate you allowed me to be here on your platform as well.
Speaker 1: So let's go back even before this murder that you ended up being charged with. You're only eighteen at the time, so there's not that much to even cover. But what was your life like before this title wave of insanity?
Speaker 3: A family, good, supportive family, you know, but the sisters. I was in high school, I was playing sports, you know. I was living my life basically and just having a good life, you know. And no matter what I was doing while I was outside of having fun with my friends, I wasn't doing no crimes or nothing like that. I was just being a typical teenager and just enjoying my life. And I was set to graduate from high school the week before I got locked up, and I got to set in to Georgia State.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you had a pretty bright future. You were into music as well, right.
Speaker 3: You know, at the time, just being creative. We were just raving about things we come up seeing and things like homies might be doing something. Was just having fun, you know.
Speaker 1: Around that time, Darien appeared in a RapidIO with a few other guys, some of them were tied up with gangs, and it seems like gang tensions and the hand fisted approach of the Cook County police were at play in this wrong for conviction. There was a shooting on June seventh, twenty eleven, at a gas station on South Stony Island Avenue. If you're looking at it on a map, there's a McDonald on the corner above it to the north, and then Jackson Park across the street to the east. The gas station is a rectangular lot with a depot at the center, and just before eight thirty that evening, twenty three year old Rondel Moore was fatally shot and found towards the backside of the depot.
Speaker 2: The victim had gone to the gas station with some friends and his brother. They were having issues with the car and this black BMW comes into the parking lot. What the police say happened is someone gets out of the black car, goes over and shoots at the victim, Rondell Moore, and then there are a few other people who are shot. There's Marcus Diggs, Quincy Woollard, and then the victim's brother, Ronald claimed that he was shot at, but the video doesn't really bear that out. So Rondell is the only one who is killed, and most of the people said that they didn't see who was shooting.
Speaker 1: Both Marcus Diggs and Quincy Wollard could not identify their shooter, but Rondell's brother Ronald. The gas station attended Joe Tony and two alleged witnesses, Dexter Saffold and Aaron Jones, all later made identifications and gave their own versions of events. Luckily, there was surveillance footage.
Speaker 2: There is surveillance video of the crime. You can't make out much about the person committing the crime, you can't see his face, but you can learn some details that really helped to kind of unravel the case and show what really happened.
Speaker 1: At fourteen seconds after eight twenty seven pm, a black sedan pulled into the gas station from the north and stopped at the south end, ready to pull back out onto South Stony Island Avenue. The shooter got out of the car and walked out a frame as he got close to Rondell's car and shots were fired. All the witnesses agreed that Rondell ran west toward the back of the depot with his friend Marcus Diggs ran north towards the McDonald's at eight twenty seven forty seven. The shooter also ran to the backside of the depot, then ten seconds later ran to the south end of the lot, where we're not sure if he got back into the black sedan, but either way he fled south. The shooting was reported on a few nine one one calls, including from an alleged onlooker named Dexter Saffold and an APB went out at eight thirty pm for a black sedan and the police pulled one over in the area.
Speaker 2: Now, initially, the brother of the victim ran to this black car that was pulled over nearby, yelling you killed my brother. You killed my brother. So they take that guy, the driver, into custody, Aaron Jones.
Speaker 1: According to Ronald Moore's initial statement, the shooter had dark skin of mohawk and fled in the black sedan. Aaron Jones did not have a mohawk and was alone. Maybe this was not the correct black sedan. Ronald later changed his statement, saying that he just assumed that the shooter got into the black sedan, which left Aaron Jones still in suspicion of being connected to the shooter and right for police coercion. As the investigation continued, the statements from Aaron Jones, Ronald Moore, and Dexter Saffold all shifted each time they spoke, leaving only one witness whose story remained consistent.
Speaker 2: The gas station attendant. His name was Jody Tony, and so right away when the police came, they talked to him and he said, I saw this happen. I know who was the shooter because he was in the gas station an hour before this happened and he was threatening me and threatening to blow my head off. So I saw him when he did this, and you know, I could identify him.
Speaker 1: Jody Tony was later called in to view a lineup. In the meantime, investigators followed up with Dexter Saffold, who had called nine to one one.
Speaker 2: So he witnesses a shooting, allegedly doesn't stick around back at his apartment. They go to talk to him. He's what they call an independent witness, so he's not tied to any one. It's not like the brother, it's not like someone who would have, you know, some kind of motivation potentially to lie.
Speaker 1: Strangely, Saffold made claims that are not supported by the surveillance footage, and his statements changed along the way.
Speaker 2: And changed in important ways, including what the perpetrator was wearing. He described the perpetrator's wearing a black shirt, all this stuff. In the video you can see he's wearing like a gray tank top or a light colored tank top. What has hair looked like.
Speaker 1: Saffold said that the shooter had his hair and twists, meaning braids or dreads, which conflicts with Ronald Moore, who said the shooter had worn a mohawk.
Speaker 2: And one of the things about Dexter Saffold that the video showed was that he claimed he was eighteen feet away, but he was actually eighty feet away, and you can see that because at some point right after the shooting happens, you can see his scooter in the top of one of the frames.
Speaker 1: Saffold pulled into frame a full minute after the shooter left the scene. So it's not clear what he saw, if anything, including that the shooter ran right by him while chasing the victim behind the station, which was contradicted by the surveillance footage. And somehow there's room for Saffold to become even more absurd, but we'll get to that later. What's interesting is that even though Ronald Moore and Dexter Saffold disagreed on the hair mohawk versus twists and then later a low haircut, they agreed on the hype.
Speaker 3: A discription of the shoot was fast seven.
Speaker 1: And does that describe you in any way?
Speaker 3: No, at the time I was six'. TWO i never had had a low. Heacut they don't scrab me it.
Speaker 1: Out then the investigation received one more lead.
Speaker 2: From the police. REPORTS a couple of people who were close with the Victim. Roundell his girlfriend and one of his friends both said that he had been shot at a couple days prior by some people from The East block set of the Gangster. Disciples so they said that the guy who had shot At, rundell that it was this Guy.
Speaker 1: Dony, coincidentally Both dooney and one of his known, associates a guy Nicknamed, slim had appeared in a rap video With darien Aka.
Speaker 3: Kingchucky you know how did music and shot music, Video so you KNOW i was around these people or.
Speaker 2: Whatever the brother of the, victim he brings this rap video to the police and said someone said the shooter was in. Here and then ends up pointing Out.
Speaker 1: Darien it appears this information made its way To Aaron jones.
Speaker 2: He's being interrogated for. Murder they get him to say that it was someone Named slim at. First the next day that changes to someone Named, chucky.
Speaker 3: And then Again Aaron jones originally, said we looked just like literally like when they showed a music video we used. TO i, said he, like do it look just LIKE i.
Speaker 2: Don't know if there was some confusion from the outset as to who it was because they were both in this, video or it was just Because darien was in a video with some guys That rundell was feuding. WITH i don't.
Speaker 1: Know perhaps they're similar looking, faces Had ronald. Confused after, all there was this huge height, discrepancy and either, way the investigators chose to ignore The doony And slim lead to focus singularly On, darien who had no record and therefore no photos in the. System so they pulled pictures from social media and Got Aaron jones to Identify darien as the man who had flagged him down for a ride to the gas, station which was enough for the rest.
Speaker 3: Warrant they came to a mom crib, like hey were looking for your. Son he's been implicated in the. Murder and she called me, like what did you?
Speaker 4: Do did you do?
Speaker 3: Anything i'm, LIKE i ain't doing. Nothing she was, like, well let's they want to talk to, Him, like, okay let's go talk. Home got nothing to, had AND i got me a lawyer AND i went down there and they tried to talk to me AND i told HIM i have none to say BECAUSE i don't know, nothing and y'all nothing to create something off of what me, saying so THEREFORE i have nothing to. Say i'm with my lawyer and.
Speaker 1: You're doing exactly. WELL i think any good lawyer would recommend that they do people do more or less what you, did which you, Say i'm not talking AND i want a.
Speaker 3: Lawyer she came down there and she was, like don't say, nothing and they ain't want to talk to me BECAUSE i ain't want to talk to. Them and then she, left and then they tried to bring me and put me in a, lineup AND i was, LIKE i don't want to go into land up without my. Lawyer they was, like you have to go on the line, up AND i went in like three full lineups AND i remember one line, UP i was number. Three they said it was number five and then never came, up and they put me in to Suggest. Atlanta i'm In. Atlanta i'm the only person as young with no facial everybody else older than me and. Everything so it's it's like if y'all giving a description of, something look he's right.
Speaker 1: Here so with his own potential murder Charges Aaron jones, AGAIN i D darien and then they dragged in the gas station Attended Jody.
Speaker 2: Tony when they brought into the, station they showed him a picture Of darien and, said you, know this is the guy we have as a, shooter and he said that is not the. Shooter they had him look at the. Lineup he did not pick out dary and he said the shooter is not in that, lineup and they tried to get him to Identify dariy and he said he wouldn't do, it and they tried to pressure him and all of, that and he wouldn't do. It he was never called a, trial so we later got an affidavit from him where he identifies who the actual shooter.
Speaker 1: Was but that was many years. Later for, Now Jody tony was ignored For Dexter saffold and the victim's, Brother Ronald. Moore despite saffolds dubious, accounts the police valued his id and Then. Ronald why would the brother of the victim id someone that doesn't match his own initial description both height and.
Speaker 3: Hair sometimes in the streets like guys or rather lead other guys out.
Speaker 2: There we've had that in several cases where when we find out why they implicated the wrong, person it was because they wanted to take care of it.
Speaker 3: Themselves he put me in a situation because you feel, like ba't me not doing? It they would have let me. Go but that's not how the system works. Here once they get any type of, name they don't care to do their job to make sure the case is. Closed they just make up create things to get you out the. Way and that's why so many guys that's wrongfully. Convicted it's in the conserrated right now because police don't do their job and the state's attorney don't, care and they get. Immunity so you think they care if they create a situation just to make somebody go to jail just to close their, case they.
Speaker 1: Don't you're listening to wrongful Conviction you can listen to this and all The lava For good podcasts one week early and ad free by subscribing To lava For Good plus On Apple. Podcasts.
Speaker 3: YEAH i was in the police station for about two. Days THEN i was taken To Cook county and. Process THEN i wasn't prepared for, it but in a WAY i had a little bit of street smarts because you know that's WHERE i come. From you, know this is my, neighborhood is how to grow. Up but the gym's around about real grown men fighting real murders, Too and they got knaves and they game banging and gang fights go, on drug dealing going, on and rapees going. On so you have to learn to adapt to your surroundings situation of what's going. On or get, loss you get, cute you get, rip you get beat, up you get. Extoreded and that's How jill.
Speaker 1: Is sounds like hell On. Earth and so there you. Are what did they set? Bail you never saw the streets.
Speaker 3: Again they didnam on bonn and SAID i was a minister, SOCIETY i shouldn't be let out on the. Streets AND i never called a case of damn my. LIFE i bet you've been. ARRESTED i was encountered three years three.
Speaker 1: Years jesus Christ darien was charged with aggravated battery with a, firearm attempted, murder and first degree, murder and at the grand, Jury, Jones, moore And saffoled reaffirmed their. Identifications but Now ronald said that he Saw jones Drop darien off at the gas station and then, leave so a new. Inconsistency and then he said that he Recognized darien from this rap, video even though we know that he hadn't seen that video until after the.
Speaker 2: Shooting there were a ton of issues with his. Identification he initially accused someone, else and then he also was in the backseat of his car and claimed the shooter pointed the gun at, him but the video shows that the shooter didn't point the gun at, Him so there are a ton of issues with him and with his, testimony the brothers' statements and dexter saffold, statements those changed every time they told what.
Speaker 1: Happened this, Time saffold said that he had chased after the shooter on his, scooter which is not supported by the. Video but, Importantly saffold explained why he wrote a scooter that his diabetes had caused a, stroke and we'll get to why that's important. Later At darrin's bench trial in front Of Judge Nicholas, ford.
Speaker 2: This judge is notorious in the, end was run off the bench In Cook county because of his actions in a lot of, cases and then he ended up A trump appointee an immigration judge In california and was run off the bench there for being, racist, ableist. Etc and so he's currently not a, judge but he has a long history of problems with his judicial.
Speaker 1: Conduct darien's bench trou began In march of twenty. Fourteen Again Ronald moore testified about Seeing jones Drop darien off and leave that he Recognized darien from the rap, video and then he made an in court. Identification next up Was Aaron, jones but that didn't go as a prosecution had.
Speaker 2: Planned he starts testifying and then he immediately recants and he, says you know, what, man fuck. This none of this. Happened the police made me say, This they threatened. Me what would you. DO i had a newborn. Baby darien was never in my. Car this never. Happened and the judge, Says i'm holding you in direct contempt just because he's, recanting maybe because he's. CURSING i don't. Know the state had not asked him to Hold Aaron jones in. Contempt But Aaron jones, says do whatever you need to do to, me, MAN i don't care. Anymore this is. Wrong so that basically ends the state's questioning of.
Speaker 1: Him during the crossing, examination Mister jones, elaborated saying that the police had told him what to say or he would quote rot in prison for the rest of his. Life jes said that the police showed him your photograph there and told him to pick you as the, gunman of Course. Jones the detective then testifies that he interviewed them multiple times and never threatened. Them but what we expect you.
Speaker 3: Have Aaron, Jones they, said the police, Officer Devin jones can hurst him to say what he. Said you have the add witness from the gas, Station Jody. Tunya they said That Devin jones can hurst him to say what he. Said you got the victim's. Brother this original statement did the shooter was fast seven and all, That but he changed the statement once he talked to Detective Devin. Jones so you have to say alficer basically conhurst him into what to say with this overlooked.
Speaker 1: Though then the state put On Dexter, saffold who appears to be a willing participant in story time With Detective Devin. Jones but that's even worse than.
Speaker 2: That as he's, testifying the defense council asks him about his vision because he's diabetic and there are often vision issues with, that and he starts looking at the state and this is all on the, record it's in the, transcripts and the defense council says to the, judge can you order him to? Answer he keeps looking at the state and the Witness dexter, SAYS i thought that medical was supposed to be. Private the judge, said, well usually it, is but your ability to see is critical to the, case so you have to. Answer and he says he doesn't have any vision. Issues and that's where the case really, unraveled because on post conviction is discovered that he at the time was permanently and legally.
Speaker 3: Blind at the state's ATTORNEY, knwda this person was legally. Bland so he, SAID i thought my medical was. Private how did he know that his medical was? PRIVATE i mean he told him, that.
Speaker 1: But neither the defense nor the judge knew, that as was made abundantly clear By Judge ford's closing statement as he Sentenced darien to seventy six, years.
Speaker 3: He said aloud that he don't believe nobody. Else he's based in this fan based on the old. Man that's your sulf of. Testimony you have an old man that seems, credible that seems, honest like he, said and he don't have nothing to rebut what he's. Saying and at the time the judge didn't know that he was legally. Blind he went on record to say that he trust this, person and y'all knew this person was legally. Blind y'all made him look like an. Asshole and my out day was twenty eighty. Two and it's like that's a hard pill to. Swallow it's, Like, Wow i'm really sentenced to seventy six years for a CRIME i didn't. Commit you hear so much about, Prison LIKE i was. PARANOID i was going through so much Because i'm, like, only first of, all they're supposed to be in. Here the second of, all these are a liver. Dish is LIKE i understand That i'm convicted of a crime at the end of damn. Human this is not how you should treat. Humans they send me the. PONTIAC i was a pontiac for three. Months that's what mentally a lot of, people they ain't never coming. Back that's.
Speaker 4: What like.
Speaker 3: Gas they cut their stomach up and rip their tests. Out they stick chicken bones and they dick hole and try to piss and their stomach blow. Up they be on the, yard they play with, Feces they put feces in their mouth shit and they mouth and spit it on each. Other they go outside with a plastic bag full of shit and be squirting it back and forth on each other like it's wow down, there like it be men having sex on the, yard like it's wow down.
Speaker 1: There it's hard to fathom that this shit goes on in this, country but it's going on right. Now it's really sickening the whole freaking. Thing SO i don't know how the hell you managed to maintain your, sanity But i'm glad you. Did and NOW i want to hear about how the hell you manage to find a way, out because that's the, miracle. RIGHT i, mean we never hear about the guys who lost their minds in, there who gave, Up, oh who did drugs or killed themselves or got. Killed, right there's a lot of innocent guys that fit that. Category but then there's guys like you who somehow or other found the strength to reach.
Speaker 2: Out.
Speaker 3: WELL i had a mentor Of his name Is Samuel, kareem and he had life in. Jail so coming into that sale with, him you, KNOW i know he was real good with the. LOSS i gave him my paperwork and he started reading and he only read like the first sixty. Pages was, LIKE i don't have to read it no. More and say why he, said because that's your way out of. Jail. Man that man led he can't. See i'm, like how do you know? That he, said Because i'm a. Diabetic he landed back the ability to. See that's why he was. Stuttering i'm, LIKE i don't know what you're telling me about, whatever AND i blew it. Off and then AFTERWARDS i asked him, like, hey you gonna read LIKE i don't have to read no. More So i'm, like all, right, whatever We i'm gonna let my lawyer take care of. It, then and that's when he started giving me cases AND i. DIDN'T i read, them BUT i didn't comprehend WHAT i was. Reading so that's when he went to his, Mentor Michael sullivan told, him, like, man you got to teach him how to be a man, first because he won't comprehend what he reading until you teach him a different way of. Life so therefore he doubled back and we start having long, conversations and that's when he started teaching me how to be a. Man he started teaching me about, responsibilities, economics, politics financial, stability emotional, stability mental, stability ways of, life the worth of a, woman everything THAT i need to succeed in life as a, man to grow and also to found my purpose in life as, well and that's WHERE i started. At then that's WHEN i doubled back on the legal, work and he gave me A Black Au dictionary AND i started reading legal, work and his way of teaching me was comparing it to real life, situations and that's HOW i started. Understanding so he made me order my, discovery and they gave him my discovery redacted because they can't give it to me. Unredacted AND i sat there AND i went through every piece of paperwork And that's WHEN i found the gas station, Attendant Jody. TONY i found a lot of more, things and that's WHEN i started writing a lot of. Lawyers And Jody garvey.
Speaker 2: Wrote me back AND i Believe, darien you told you were A pellet. Lawyer What samuel said That Dexter staffold was.
Speaker 3: Blind my new, Lawyer Jody, garvey went To Deshah staffold and, say pointed out right now In, atlanta up with the private. Vestigat he, SAID i CAN'T i need a special apparatus that magnifies the image on the. Paper that means that in the police station they had to give you a special, apparatus or they circled and told you what to. Say at, trial you, know they give you the paper and they say do you recognize his? Paper he post a look at the paper and say, yes is that your? Signature? Yes is that what you? Wrote repeat what you? Wrote which number pigeons to circle? Out how did he do all that in court with no special? Apparatus that shows you that he was conhearsed in the back on what to.
Speaker 1: Say but Despite Dexter saffold's blindness as well As Jody, Tony darien's conviction was affirmed on. Appeal Then darien Met lauren around twenty, nineteen who was able to find more new, evidence starting With Dexter saffold's litigation.
Speaker 2: History Dexter staffold had filed so many discrimination lawsuits basically alleging that different, organizations, colleges, whatever had discriminated against him because of being. Blind so he had attached to these lawsuits his own vision, records medical records related to his blindness over the. SPAN i mean he was filing these starting back in like two thousand and two till twenty twenty one maybe, after and attaching all this stuff to prove he was. Blind so that's where we got the evidence that he was. Blind it was from his own.
Speaker 1: Filings In february twenty twenty, Two lauren And Jody garvey filed a post conviction petition to Vacate darien's, conviction and they attached a report from an ophthalmologist and professor Doctor Vina, raigi who determined That saffold had advanced glaucoma by twenty eleven and had less than five degrees of central vision in both eyes and in addition to his legal, blindness the time of day that this shooting occurred Made saffold even less.
Speaker 2: Reliable Jody garby had already gotten Some affi davids from an investigator had talked To Dexter, saffold and he told the investigator that he had told the prosecution about his vision.
Speaker 1: Issues so it appears the prosecution knowingly put on a blind, eyewitness and then when he purjured himself about his ability to, see they did not bother to correct the. Record lauren also sought the help of doctor And Nancy.
Speaker 2: Franklin an eyewitness, expert to show all of the. Issues any sort of police coergion what made any sort of identification in this case unreliable from the get, go regardless of, blindness although that obviously played a big. Role, Also Jody garby had already gotten some halfi davids From darien's girlfriend at the, time who was his alibi, witness confirming that he was at home watching THE nba, Finals affi davits From Jody, tony LIKE i, said he was confirming that it Wasn't, darien and he identified the actual.
Speaker 1: Shooter, tony the gas station, attendant the only eyewitness whose statements didn't shift with the police narrative said that the shooter had come into the station before the shooting and threatened, him and he identified him from a. Photo it was a young man Named Devonte pippen Aka, slim who not only appeared in the rap video but was also later a victim of gang violence in twenty.
Speaker 2: Fourteen so we had all this, evidence it was already such a thin. Case no physical evidence ever Tied darien to the. Crime the description just didn't even. Match the judge didn't hear From Jody, tony who had always said he could see it and he knew who did, it and it always said it Wasn't. Darien so all of this just really put it over the. Edge so this Is december, fifth twenty twenty. Three we go to court and they agree to Vkate darien's conviction based on all the evidence presented in the post conviction. Petition but they're going to retry him and they want him held without bond. Again what they were going to retry him with is beyond. ME i don't know what their plan. Was they never told me if they were planning to call the blind eyewitness again or what the plan was. There but that's When jason that's when you got.
Speaker 1: Involved because, WELL i feel very grateful THAT i was in the right place at the right, time and THAT i, have you, know a real lasting friendship With Kim, fox who's been doing her level best against powerful forces that are lined against. Her and you, know her job is no, picnic trust, me but you, know it happens that she's got such a big, office so many you, know adas and others working for, her that sometimes one of them just you, know probably many of them don't share her vision or her. Convictions for lack of a better. Word of, course When kim heard about this, case she did the right.
Speaker 2: THING i get a, CALL i, think the very next day saying that they are not going to move forward with the, case and they were very apologetic about. It we were already doing up in Court december, nineteenth twenty twenty, three to argue some bond.
Speaker 3: Issues WHEN i came to, court NOW i was thinking it's a regular court. Day lauren came up like so they had the good, news AND i was, like, yeah what they gonna give me a bond or. Something she was, like, No they're gonna throw everything. Else AND i was, like LIKE i was, Shocked LIKE i ain't even believe, it AND i was just, like, WOW i really didn't feel real at.
Speaker 2: All you, Know darien has been out just a few months now and is you, know trying to rebuild his life and put everything back together after so many years. Gone and you, Know i'm he can talk about. IT i, mean it's a struggle for all of our clients to do. That so we're just trying to do what we can to help him with. That we filed for a certificate of, innocence so we'll keep you posted on that on our. End but you, know he's working through.
Speaker 3: Everything when you've been going so, long you've been removed from, society you've been moved from the world that you once. Knew me coming home, Personally i'm in a whole new world for me to be. Free it don't feel Like i'm free because mentally it's hard for me to understand and adapt to what's going. On BECAUSE i got out of jail with, nothing AND i had slight a little small, donations, yeah from the company That lauren put me into it where they gave me two thousand dollars and things like. That you, know that's, cool that's, Helpful but WHERE i was at in maximum. PENITENTIARIES i couldn't take no trades for, electrician, plumbing ac, construction. Nothing so what DO i come home. WITH i can't come home with no, degrees no school out of. Nothing so the only things THAT i know is the things THAT i took the time after studying those. Books that's the only things THAT i. Know but it takes money to make that type of. Money and they put us in these situations hoping that we do. Reoffend that's why they put us out here like. This why not put us out and, say, hey we got jobs waiting on, y'all good, jobs not no twelve thirteen dollars an hour, job because as a grown, man especially with, kids what is that going to? Pay we need real, jobs we need real, help and we don't have that to preaching.
Speaker 1: Today i'll tell you that, much and and we appreciate. It we need to hear this. Stuff and what's the name? Again this is a real hero in this. Case another one is your mentor what was his name?
Speaker 3: Again his name Is Samuel kareem KA R I. M he's currently located In Stateville Correctional. Center and, honestly that's the guy that changed me that's the guy That i'm fighting to get out of jail because he's the smartest MAN i ever. Met he has a training out of mask all day every, day he read his, books study case. Law he grows man so. Much just the type of man that we need out here in these communities to start changing, things to start creating opportunities not only for, us but for everybody as a, whole where we come together as. One that's what we lack coming. Up we lack role, models we lack positive man in our life and things like.
Speaker 1: That darren asked that we win in competition for clemency for his, Mentor Samuel, Kareem so we're going to have that length in the episode. Description and in addition to his, Advocacy darien is making, music also starting a nonprofit and launching a, Podcast justice Is.
Speaker 3: Blind it's a podcast for me to give a platform to everybody that's incoscerated all over the world to call in and tell their, story rather they was wrongfully, convicted or the trauma that they're going through a jail all the way the police treating, them or they just want to be heard because in, jail with our silence and don't nobody listen to. Us don't nobody give us a. Chance everybody look at us as, criminals but everybody in jail not bad. People people could. CHANGE a sin is a, sining a crime is a. Crime people may have committed their crimes and people may have done their, things but at the end of the, day they're, human they make. Mistakes give them a chance to write they. Wrong so that's When i'm creating this platform for, them guys in jail to speak out and to have a. Voice and Also i'm starting um For Perfect Call surviving a struggle for guys that's incarcerated as. Well the partner or with the law firm and everybody that's wrongfully CONVICTED i had their case, over would look to have their case tooking so they can have legal. Support and Also i'm going to create programs link up with people to have, construction, electrician, plumbing everything of that, nature so when guys get out of jail they have a good job to come home. Too and trying to find a way to find them like affordable has look at like a house of complex or something for a guys to state that don't have nowhere to. Go everything is currently in the making right now should be done within the next few, months but you can follow me On instagram at k at n g c ch U Cky underscore FR e D A r E A. L AND i have a go fundme which is Called justice Is, blind or you just put In Dariel harriy's and support me and my calls to just help me out with living expenses and for the non for.
Speaker 1: Profit, well we're gonna link Your instagram and the GoFundMe as, well and with that we're gonna go to my favorite part of the show where first of, ALL i think both of, You lauren And, darien you're both heroes to me and so many other, people and SO i appreciate you joining us here. Today and Now i'm just going to kick back in my chair with my microphone off and just listen to anything else you feel is left to be. Said So, lauren tradition holes that you go, first And darien you take us off into the.
Speaker 2: SUNSET i just hope that people listen to this episode and they take away from the fact that this kind of thing can really happen to. Anyone darien had never committed a, Crime he had never been, arrested he was a good. Kid the only thing was where he. LIVED i, mean he got picked up just by virtue of living in a certain, neighborhood being a certain, color and the evidence was made to fit. Him and he had a really bright future in front of him that was stolen from, him and he lost out on so much time that he is never going to get back in very very formative. Years we are actually very lucky in his, case which is crazy to say that we were able to get him out when he can still build a life and build a. Family And darien WANTS i think last count sixteen kids. Crazy he wants a lot of. Children we'll see after he has one how he feels about. That but he'll be a wonderful. Dad he has so many things he wants to do to change the, world and he's already starting to do. It And i'm just so proud to know him and i can't wait to see all the things that he's going to. Accomplish someone with the kind of light That darien, has they can't keep that down and they can't snuff it. Out So i'm just so grateful to be here today with him and to be a witness to his.
Speaker 3: LIFE i just want to say THAT i Appreciate lauren the most because she stepped in and did everything and just still on the business for. Real And Jody, garf he helped me out a lot as. Well AND i just want to let everybody know that everything That i'm doing to help free to jails and those people that's growfully and, convicted or even the people that is serving a town doing this for the black families and the mothers that have to go through this because they are incarcerated as. Well you, know they're not the only people that's. Concerated AND i understand what it means to be in jail and be. Stereotypes so IF i can get out and show them that all black people that come from jail not this and not THAT i want to become that stereotype to show them like we not that type of. People like it's people that can actually. Change it's people that can come from WHERE i come from and make better themselves as well and be not all the. Same you, know it's actually good people still left in this. World i'm just looking to help. EVERYBODY i know my purpose in life is to help, People So i'm gonna follow my purpose and chase my. Dreams i'm gonna continue to help everybody and do EVERYTHING i gotta do and make a positive. Change i'm just gonna continue to stick to doing.
Speaker 1: Me thank you for listening to ron For. Conviction you can listen to this and all The lava For good podcasts one week early by subscribing To lava For Good plus On Apple. PODCASTS i want to thank our production, Team Connor hall And Kathleen, fink as well as my fellow executive Producers Jeff, Kempler Kevin, wartis And Jeff. Cliburn the music in this production was supplied by three TIME oscar nominated Composer Jay. Ralph be sure to follow us across all social media platforms At lava For good and At Wrongful. Conviction you can also follow me On instagram At It's Jason. Flamm Wrongful conviction is a production Of lava For Good podcasts and association With Signal Company number.
Speaker 4: One. Hi my name Is Amanda. Graham i've written down WHAT i want to say SO i don't start. Rambling BUT i began listening To Wrongful conviction about exactly eight year. AGO i was on a hunt for a new podcast to binge on AND i became. HOOKED i was so shocked by these. Stories the story that changed my, life, though was episode three forty eight With Zaban. Johnson at this same time that this, aired an old high school friend of mine was on her second trial for the death of an infant in her. Care from the DAY i heard she was, ARRESTED i knew in my guts no way she would hurt a, baby AND i believed there had to be some other. Explanation so suddenly things began making sense to. Me i'm actually AN, rn and SO i questioned EVERYTHING i had been taught ABOUT sbs and began plummeting into. RESEARCH i spent hours and hours and. HOURS i made a binder with highlighted, points case files with similar, details a list of ways convictions were. OVERTURNED i listened to every podcast about every CASE i could. FIND i passed on WHAT i had learned To, ali the, defendant but it was too. Late the trial had already. Began she was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to fifty years in. Prison there is so much that is wrong in this. Case this sparked a fire in. ME i closed and sold my. BUSINESS i got a certificate In legal Nurse consulting from The university Of. GEORGIA i provided her new attorney with data and case. Information i've spoken out publicly in her, defense And i'm hoping in some way to be able to help other people who have been wrongfully convicted of murder by shaking baby syndrome and change the way these cases are. Handled your podcasting connection to this case has truly changed my. Life