Speaker 1: Look el, it's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer, a director, sauna, and I love films. As Leonardo da Vinci once said, as a well spent day brings happy sleep. So life well used brings happy death. Happy death day too. Everyone. Every week I'm by a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Amber Ruffin, Mark Frost, and even Ked Bambles. But this week it is the excellent hip hop artist and comedian It's open Mic Eagle. Get tickets for the last seven dates of my American stand up tour, The Second Best Night of Your Life at Brett Goldstein Tour dot com. We got just seven dates left. I'm playing Denver at the amazing legendary Red Rocks Amphitheater. I'm playing Atlanta. I'm playing New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore, Seattle, Bellingham. That's it. Those are all the dates. Check them out at Brett Goldstein toour dot Com'd be lovely to see you for the last few dates. Come along if you want to enjoy it the second best night of your life. We'll have a right teld time. Also head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards lastret Goldstein, where you get twenty minutes extra stuff with Open Mike Eagle. You get a secret, you get the whole thing, uncut, adfree and a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com forards Last Breck Goldsteam. So Open Mike Eagle is a podcaster, a musician, a comedian and actor, a writer. He's beloved by many, particularly our own buddy Peace, who loves Open Mike Eagle more than anyone has ever loved anyone in the world. We had never met. I was very happy to hang out with him on Zoom a few weeks ago. He was an absolute fucking delight And I really think you're gonna love this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and fifteen of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. My name is Brett Goldstein, and I'm enjoined today by a podcaster, a rapper, an art rapper and anime trauma and divorcer, a freestyler, a wrestling fan, a twitcher, a hero, a legend. There's nothing he hasn't done, and nothing he won't do. And here he is. Please welcome to the show. He's right in front of me. Now he's open my kegle.
Speaker 2: Hey, I agree with everything you said, except for that last part. I think there's a bunch of stuff I probably wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: Tell me give me the let's go.
Speaker 2: Toilet stuff. That's a big one. I won't do toilet stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, God, look at us bunding already so much in comment. I won't do toilet stuff. Sorry.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes you just you got to learn when to say no. And my no begins to toilet stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even want toilets anywhere there. You know what in the olden days when they had outhouses where people just go to toilet in the garden, like that seems to me very smart, Like why do we bring them inside? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do, I do see, I see the pros and cons of it. I do think the plumbing is nice to have it's nice to have the pipes. They go from inside of your house to out, but.
Speaker 1: I think the out one should have the pipes right in the out right.
Speaker 2: It's just that you you need, we need more of a robust piping system than what we currently have. We currently we're not set up for pipes to be in the outhouse.
Speaker 1: I think it's a simple switch. And I know there's an awful lot of important stuff that people are sort of fighting for at the moment, but I feel like this should go to the top of the list. Now.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if you want to start the start the anti toilet stuff political party, you've got my vote.
Speaker 1: Has pipers anyway, open my keyGo. It's very nice to me you nice to meet you too. The producer at this show, Buddy Piece, one of the all time greats. He is absolutely obsessed with you.
Speaker 2: I love Buddy Peace.
Speaker 1: He has been talking about you for years. I would say he's probably outside your window right now.
Speaker 2: I think that would be difficult for him to because my window is right here, hie. So he'd have to be very like, very small, like how people in old cartoons used to wait for a pie under the windowsill, and it just be tucked under the ledge. That's how he'd have to be very small, tucked under the ledge for me not to see.
Speaker 1: That's such a great image. And I've not thought about how often how often pies must have been put in window sills that people cartoons would think buying out here.
Speaker 2: Sooner or later? Yeah, sooner later, there'll be a pie. You don't know what's in it, you know, Yeah, there's gonna be a pie. And you'd be risking it all because the pie is there, because it has to cool. But if you're gonna steal it, you're not gonna wait for it to cool.
Speaker 1: Now, you're burning your hands immediately, you burning your.
Speaker 2: Handsact, And I guess that's how you find your thief. You look for the guy with the burned hands and mouth.
Speaker 1: And screaming as they run and plow their face into a pie. Yeah, you've been touring, correct, true of folks, this is true, This is true. How has it been? Do you love touring?
Speaker 2: Up and down? Actually? I like performing. I love doing the shows. The travel is mean. The travel is mean. It's mean, and it's like I've just come to realize how lucky I am to survive every day of the travel because we literally take our lives into our hands, going Like, first of all, being in a different city every day is highly unnatural. It's very strange. Yeah, and then the rigors of actually doing that, taking your physical body and moving it to a different city every day, you can't help but be courting death, you know. Yeah, I agree with that early escaping it. I've been touring. Have you have you found yourself? Like, do you have routines? Do you have things that make it less what's the word chaotic?
Speaker 1: Or less? Like? Fuck, I'm in a new players got anything? Like? Do you have like regular things you do or have with you to try and make it feel more normal.
Speaker 2: One thing that I've begun bringing with me and now I have to remember to actually use them is I bring like I bring like slippers in my luggage. So and the idea is this, and I've done it a couple of times, but I don't remember to do it all the time. Is that like I am going to get up too early in the morning and I'm gonna get that risky hotel breakfast and I'm going to drink lots of lobby coffee. And the thought is I don't need a full pair of shoes to do all of that. You know, I can do that with with a pair of slides on. There's plenty of people down there with slides on. I can just be one of the people. I don't have to be because I just I pretty much like dress like I'm on stage all the time. Yes, So if I have a little pair of slides a little pair of basketball shorts, you know, it's just casual around the hotel.
Speaker 1: Slippers like actually like slippers from the Victorian era. I forgot slippers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know if slippers is the right word, because I feel like those the sort of slippers I'm now thinking about. I'd have to be wearing like a stocking cap to match those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking that they've got bells on the end, like an el.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I'm not confident enough to get away with that. I don't. I don't know if I could pull it off. But just like a nice pair of slides.
Speaker 1: That's the sort of Timothy Timothy Shallo may on a red carpet could probably get away with slippers with a bells on.
Speaker 2: You can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, good luck to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll cheer him from afar.
Speaker 1: So you take slippers. Anything else do you have, like do you have tell you what I want to know. Do you have like superstition before you go on stage? Do you have a routine pre show?
Speaker 2: No, I don't have necessarily a routine. But I'll tell you this, and at the risk of you know too much information, I'll say that I've learned it's very important that you make the time to take a pre show poop. It's very important, you know, Like it sounds like you know, remember we're anti toilet stuff in house.
Speaker 1: Are you doing this big?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I think you have to use whatever facility is are available. But I have found a hack too, because oftentimes after a long drive you don't necessarily get a chance to go to the hotel to use a nice private facility. But the venue before doors, like right after sound check, before doing this, it's a ghost town. It's a ghost town. You know. You get a nice, big stall all to yourself. You know, it's it's it's not the worst, it's not the worst.
Speaker 1: So you're leaving, you're leaving a little something for the audience as they file in.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully I don't hopefully I don't leave anything if I do, I will think about it positively like that. But they in the ideal case, there's no evidence that I've been in that room at all.
Speaker 1: But if there is, it's thrilling for the audience that he's been out here.
Speaker 2: He came in lowly well, But then i'd have to leave some sort of signal lo it. I'd have to put some symbol so that they would know where it came from if somebody came in the Okay, so bells, bells, bells is the theme, Bells on the slippers, bells on the poop.
Speaker 1: On the poop. Yeah, do you ever find when you're touring, you're doing your show and you're on the thirtieth fortieth show ever? Particularly so, forgive me for not knowing this. Your show isn't comedy, right, It's only music. It's only music, a bit of it. Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean we throw we throw levity in there, for sure, but we would certainly wouldn't build it as a comedy show.
Speaker 1: Okay. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that maybe later on in your tour you might occasionally be like, fuck this song does that happen? And how do you what's your trick to kind of get back into it in a way that feels fresh or at least connected.
Speaker 2: When I find myself resistant to a song that I know we're going to perform is when I am in the midst of performing the song. I tried to remind myself why I wrote the words that I'm saying in order to give because I feel like that opens me up to infuse the lyrics with a with a bit of emotion that might not be there because I've done it so many times.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: If I can remember that there was a reason why I wrote Trooper to rhyme with Pooper, you know, if I can remember the reason, then it doesn't just you know, then it's not just coming out of me. By wrote, I'm actually given given something, even something that I don't uh naturally have in that moment.
Speaker 1: How often, if ever, have you found yourself going, I can't remember why I write this, don't know that's happened.
Speaker 2: That's happened. I've I've often I've also remembered why and realized that it still wasn't a good idea, like oh this, this, this, these lyrics were a mistake. I've definitely been there as well.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Interesting, Yeah, I used to. I had a joke in my routine that I would do pretty much every show. It was a short joke and I won't repeat it, but it would always get a laugh, and it was kind of like a safe one, like if ever I was in trouble, i'd pull this joke out. And after a while I was like, I don't even understand this joke. I don't remember I don't remember writing it, and I don't know why it's funny. And I know it's funny, like it sounds funny, like I could the sort of rhythm of it is funny, but I'd be like, every time they'd laugh, I'd sometimes want to go, what are you laughing? I don't get this anymore?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's very good, that's very good. I imagine that if I did comedy, I would have those sorts of moments I would forget why I started doing something, yeah, and why it works.
Speaker 1: Particularly when you're inspired by something really small and random that happens, and then it becomes this huge routine and then in a year's time you're like, why am I fucking what the fuck is this bit? You know what I mean? Why have I followed this thread so far? Anyway? Interesting. What are you up to at the moment? Have you got a new album, a new project? What are you working on?
Speaker 2: So, me and a couple of buddies of mine we started a rap group called Previous Industries, and we put out an album at the end of June. So that's what we've been touring. We toured that for the last couple of weeks and then we have some more dates for that tour in a little in a month.
Speaker 1: Great month. Yeah, open my ego. I've forgotten to tay you something. Fuck. I should have told you upfront. Actually, because we've never met, we don't know each other. It's it's I hope you're going to take this, okay, but I should have said it.
Speaker 2: In my butthole's tightening up as as you speak.
Speaker 1: You know you've died.
Speaker 2: You're dead, Okay, this is this has happened to me and I you know. Okay. So I have a small amount of experience with with doing stand up and in one of the three jokes that I used to tell in one of the three, I died in the joke do you want to?
Speaker 1: Can you? I wouldn't. I would never make take some of these down up. But I'm sort of curious as to the content.
Speaker 2: Well man, so he set up this was a story and I won't tell the whole story, but the crux of it is I was at my son's birthday party. This is when he was small, he was maybe turning four or five years old. I had a show the night before, so I was kind of hungover. He had a superhero themed birthday party. So I was wearing this Batman mask with my regular clothes. Like I said, it was hungover. It was in the afternoon. I needed a second when I desperately needed coffee. So I looked and there happened to be around the corner from where this party was. There was this coffee shop. But in the coffee shop there's a bunch of books around and they're weird. I asked the person behind the counter for coffee, and they kind of looked at me like I'm crazy, Like, oh, I got to make some coffee. I'm like, well, that's that's what it says on the on the sign there, he's got his daughter behind the counter doing homework, and I realize this is a Christian coffee shop. The entire thing is very religious. All of these books around the Christian books. For some reason, they wanted a Christian coffee shop. I put all this together, so I start to feel a little better. I sit down. I pick up in LA Weekly. When they used to have those, and I don't know if they still have those. Please have LA Weeklies. I picked up the La Weekly and I opened it to a random page, and on that random page it was a picture of me. It was like reviewing an album I put out at the time or something, but I had no idea. And that's when I had become very sure that I had died. Oh fuck, it was right there in that moment. But that's you know, then there's more to it. But the punchline of the joke is that all of this happens, everybody in this place is treating me strangely, and I figured it's because I'm out of place. But then it dawns on me. I forgot that I was wearing a Batman mask this entire time, And that's a true store.
Speaker 1: That's fucking great. But I like that how did you die? You get to choose how you died?
Speaker 2: Okay. My first instinct is to say peacefully in my sleep some way where I don't experience it at all.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid that I don't believe in that, and I think that's the story your family would tell. But but something would have.
Speaker 2: Happened, Okay, all right, all right, all right. So I've had a massive heart attack and stomach rupture and an aneurysm and now you're talking, yeah, and spontaneous testical explosion.
Speaker 1: All it was, Oh Jesus.
Speaker 2: That's all the stuff that happened. But yes, they will say I went peacefully in the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're definitely saying that after the old Testical incident.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, and no reason. No one knows why you st willed it.
Speaker 2: I would call it an acute receipt from all that bad choices I ever made. But they all just converged in a moment.
Speaker 1: Mh. You know, do you worry about death?
Speaker 2: No? Not really? So Okay, I have lived what I consider to be a charmed life. I have gotten to literally live a handful of my dreams. And sometimes I find myself thinking there's nowhere to go but down, like, like the only thing that's remaining is if, like I could get rich, right, and and that doesn't appear like it's gonna happen. But that's like the last thing that I fantasized about when I was a kid that I never got to do was be rich. And my choices, remember, with the choices that are all converged to cause my instant death a moment ago, most of those, most of the choices I made were away from money. If I really think about them, they weren't toward money. They were away they were toward critical acclaim. They were toward autistic expression. Yeah, artistic expression towards every independent cultural victory a person can have. But they weren't towards money. So rich riches don't seem to be around the corner. And because I feel like I've gotten so much out of life, I'm not worried about it. I worry about the pain for my family, you know, like I worry about avoid being left behind and grief and.
Speaker 1: All that, especially when they hear how you died. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's gonna be very upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to clean that up, you know, it'll be it'll be a grizzly scene. Grizzly.
Speaker 1: Do you what do you think happens after you die? Do you think there's a heaven? I do not reincarnation, I do not.
Speaker 2: I think that our consciousness joins some source of consciousness, some some consciousness massive that it returns to. So we've become part of some all knowing, maybe extra dimensional thing that ends up being confined to this plane while we're in these bodies. I think the entire concept of individuality or an I you know, I think all that goes away and you just become part of or what was you what you would think of as you becomes part of the conscious, the whatever mass of stuff that consciousness is.
Speaker 1: I like that. Well it's true. But on the way, you make a stop in heaven, and heaven's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 2: Let me know if this counts. Okay, I think my favorite thing is laughing. I think that maybe my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: It counts. Yeah, it counts. You you walk into heaven, it's like a fucking madhouse. It's just laughing. Everyone's laughing, laughing, laughing.
Speaker 2: I mean that would be tiring. Yeah, well, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: Your bolls just explaining your.
Speaker 2: Looking down and laughing, just looking down.
Speaker 1: And everyone's very excited to see you. Opened my keys. They're all big fans, but they won't know about your life. They wouldn't know about it through the medium of film. And the first thing that all these laughing mad people ask you, so, what's the first film that you I'm seeing.
Speaker 2: My coming to America shop, that fast film. That's the first one. That is the first movie I remember seeing in a movie theater.
Speaker 1: Wow. What great.
Speaker 2: So I may have seen movies before that on television. Oh right, because I saw Rocky two before that. I remember that I saw Rocky two in a big room full of other kids. But that was a weird situation. It was kind of culty. It's a little bit of a cult, a little bit of a compound type situation. I was in. Go yeah my mom. My mom had a few interesting off ramps in her life. A couple of them involved communes, and I remember very early memories of one where I remember on a television we watched Rocky two. We watched WrestleMania two. I don't even know how we got that. We watched a lot of Alfred Hitchcock presents and entails from the Dark Side, and I was like five. I don't know why these were the things, but I mean, you know, we have four channels back then, so there wasn't too much you could do. There wasn't too much you could do.
Speaker 1: Do you have siblings?
Speaker 2: I have two half siblings.
Speaker 1: Are you Are you the oldest, are you younger younger?
Speaker 2: I am the oldest. My sister is two years younger and my brother is twelve years younger.
Speaker 1: So when you saw coming to America, you with your sister.
Speaker 2: I don't remember if she was there. I remember that my mom was there. I don't remember who else was there. My sister may have been, but she may not have been.
Speaker 1: Do you think you loved it? Do you remember loving it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I remember laughing a whole lot, especially at the naughty bits that I knew I had no business seeing. Said the Royal penis is clean. I couldn't contain myself. It holds up that film up was very good, holds up very good. Did you see the new one?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, that one. That one had some troubles. That has some troubles. And I love there's people who I know and love, but that movie has some troubles.
Speaker 1: It looks like everyone's having a very nice time.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen a movie where it look like everyone was having a bad time? Yes, okay, that's interesting. I'd like to see that, whatever it is, I want to see it. Well, I think Apocalypse Now wasn't fun? Yeah, the Shining maybe? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well is the film that scared you the mist Do you like being scared?
Speaker 2: I hate being scared, and it's the extor system. Wow? Yeah, I do not like a scary movie and the extra system. Like I still can get chills thinking about scenes in that movie. It disturbed me. That's another movie I remember saying when I was very small.
Speaker 1: Why do you think you don't like horror films?
Speaker 2: Because I have enough challenges dealing with my emotions in life, Like just the emotions that life gives me. There's enough bad ones, there's enough challenging ones. So like, to me, the idea of having my nervous system shrinking, it's not fun. It's not fun activity to me, I would like to avoid that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough. What's the film that made you cry the most? Are you a crier?
Speaker 2: I have cried in a film, Unfortunately. The film that I remember crying the most app is American Beauty. That's interesting, Yeah, I know. Why do you think it made you cry so much? There was something depicted in that movie about like what it means to be alive and like specifically the scene, Oh, I forgot the lady. She's such a great actor and a net betting. Yes, the guy has died and she has come home after knowing he has died, and she opens a closet and she sees his clothes and she just fucking falls apart. Dad, shit cut right through me. That shit rezonated.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I like that. I like that. That's your answer. I think people are very down on that film, but I think it was well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: It has a complicated story now, but I think.
Speaker 2: Because he's he's done things, it made it difficult to deal with his work. Yeah, but I do think that was an amazing movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 2: But then again, also I'm remembering the underage girl subplot of it, which is probably also also complicated in today's Overton window. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a complicated watch these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I kind of forgot about that part, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It was kind of It's also one of those films that I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before, but like where it's a victim of its success in that I think so many things then copied it or emulated it that it became cliche and you watch it and it's annoying, But like, there was a time when a plastic bag being flighting in the wind being told that's my speaking for him. Yeah, so it wasn't annoying. True.
Speaker 2: You're so right, because there was a time in the late nineties early two thousands were like, there were these ideas in cinema that were, you know, these grounded stories that would have these postmodern sorts of philosophical bits, and it felt revelatory in the moment because you weren't used to seeing stuff like that. But yeah, I think you're correct that now you would think that was the corniest thing you ever saw if somebody did the plastic back thing.
Speaker 1: Now, what is a film that you love? Critics don't like it, most people don't like it, but you love it. You don't care what they say.
Speaker 2: Mmm, that's a great question. Geeesh, wow. Oh, there's a Spike Lee movie called Bamboozled.
Speaker 1: I love Bambas. Yo, it's a great answer.
Speaker 2: What a movie.
Speaker 1: That's a great answer because it was not liked at all.
Speaker 2: And to me that and I guess that's part of why it was an easy answer once I thought of it. Because to me, it made sense that critics never got it, because I think he was trying to say something stuff in that that was like real intra communal stuff. It wasn't easily parsed out by people who don't exist within Black American culture, especially Black American entertainers. I mean, and honestly a bunch of people in the culture probably didn't get it. Yeah, but I just love the conversation that that movie was attempting to have. I love it, and I never saw nothing else like it.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of Spike Lee and one of the reason I love Spake Lee is I think he for a filmmaker that's been around for a while and done lots of things, he fucking consistently takes big swings like he does he makes bad films, he makes great films, and he makes weird films, and it doesn't seem like and like he'll always take a swing. And when I was I lived in what I say I lived, I stayed in New York for a few months one year, and I was very obsessed with films. And anyway, She Hate Me came out, which was a Spike and I think it got like zero percent of Rock twice and I was like, this be it's a Spike Lee film. And I went to see it and I loved it because it was like three hours and it was completely mad, but it had so many ideas in it, and half of those ideas were really great and half of them didn't work. But I was like, this is a guy who's a legend just swinging swinging, swinging, you know what I mean. Like, I was like, that's so cool. He's fucking great. It was after Malcolm X, you know, I'd done amazing work and then he was out there going like, let's try this fucking thing, which half works. And I think part of me is like why people got mad at it is because it's like, because it's Spike Lee, you should be you shouldn't be doing silly stuff, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like he's cool, he is interesting because one thing that I'm always curious about, and you know, you being in TV and film, I wonder what your perspective one it is, But I'm often curious how there is this spectrum of what can come out of a film project where you have and you know, this visionary director, oh his head, big hits critical acclaim knows exactly what he's doing. I'm so curious, like how the bad movie happens, Like oh yeah, like what what part of the equation that you know it is missing from what was before or added or like you know, like what what what?
Speaker 1: How is that possible? Well, I'll tell you how it's possible if you've never done it. Is that a competent film is a miracle, like a film that gets made is a miracle, and a good film is fucking is a double rainbow unicorns in because there are so many steps along the way where it can be fucked up. For example, you might have the perfect class, you might have the perfect script, you might have the perfect director, but the studio might be Dick's and they cut stuff that you don't have final cut and they take stuff away. Or the soundtrack is awful and it doesn't support the film that you shot and you're stuck with this music is run out of money for you know what I mean. Like there's so many every time you make something and you feel good about it, it's like script good, I feel good. Then you do the shoot. If you manage to get through this shoot and feel good about it, that's great. Then you get into the edit, and then it's like oh, and then there's marketing, and then there's fucking yeah you're bringing in it. That I've found in my experience, the composer part so far in my career has been the hardest part for me. And I think it's because they always come to the project so late, and you've been with this thing for so long, and then they're putting music on it, and it's so different. You've watched it so many times and suddenly there's music on it, and so it's like it's now completely different with this music, and if it doesn't feel right to you, that can be like, oh fuck, this is fuck. And I'm not a musician, so I find it difficult to communicate like what it is I'm trying to get looking for you, and it's difficult because they've just brought you this thing and it's brand new, so in a way, you're trying to communicate emotionally like I want it to feel like you know what I mean. Anyway, there's a million reasons.
Speaker 2: And then at the end of the day day right like, it's all a bunch of negotiations, and negotiations are all just complicated conversations and you know, you as a as a person making choices, you have to know which hills you're going to die on and which ones you're going to have to let go of, and you just never know which ones are the right ones. I guess until it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: Listen. I've said this as someone who has no idea about the making of it. But a film like Barbie, which was is a wild film. It's a wild film based on a huge property, a huge IP, huge toy company. And part of what I think is impressive about Barbie and it makes me think I have no idea. This is my guess, is like the execs on that film must have been great, is my guest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the same thing.
Speaker 1: If you're going I want to do this weird thing and I want to do that weird thing, there are people in charge that can stop that. They ruin it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I can just say from my experience with television execs, I came out of that movie thinking the exact same thing. Like I remember asking asking my lady, like, how do you think they were able to talk the execs into letting them do this stuff? And they had two sets of exacts. They had the movie execs, and they had the Mattel execs that controlled control the toy ip and I feel like some of the messages in that movie again, let's let's take it back to bamboozle. Let's take it back to conversations that a film is trying to have. Some of the conversations that Barbie's trying to have were bad for the toy Barbie. They're bad for the film industry, you know. And so it was just it was fascinating to me how they got to create something so big and so obviously subversive and got buy in on all of those levels.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the answer is a billion things can go wrong along the way, even with everyone wanting it to be good. In Babbah, And I also think there's one of the reasons I love it, Oh it's big, because I think, on top of all the planning you do, all the thing, all the blah blah, it's magic. There is a bit of magic. And like when I look at you know, look, I was in this show Ted last and a lot of people talk about the cast and they love the cast, and I love the cast, and they're all really good actors. But there's a bit of magic there. There's magic that we all had chemistry. We might not chemistry if we didn't have chemistry, and we're all really good actors. It's not going to work. But it was lucky, you know what I mean. Like, there's a magic there. And I think with every project, you do all the things, all the things, and then if you're lucky, some magic happens and then it works and.
Speaker 2: The undefined element is a factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry for wanging on.
Speaker 2: No, no, I appreciate your perspective. These are things I think about a lot, and I often don't have people to talk to them about.
Speaker 1: For you. Now, tell me a film that you used to love. You've watched it recently and you've thought, I don't like this anymore.
Speaker 2: That's happened quite a bit lately. Gosh, there's a Robin Williams movie. Is it called Toys? Parry Levinson weird film. I tried to watch that movie because I watched it a lot when I was little. I tried to watch it recently. I got like twenty minutes in. I was like, I cannot do this. I cannot do this, Like there was so much And part of the problem now too, is that. I'm very budget conscious when I watch a movie now, so sometimes like I'll watch a movie from the nineties and I'll just get sick to my stomach thinking about all the money that was spent for no reason whatsoever. And I think that movie Toy starts out with this crazy big Christmas ballet thing that cost a small fortune, and it went on and on and on before you're introduced to anybody or anything. And I was like, I can't, I cannot do this. I can't. I can't believe they did all of this, they spent all of this money.
Speaker 1: That is really interesting. That's funny. I've wondered about that film whether it holds up. You saved me some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about the rest of it, But the first twenty minutes with me right off, even though I watched it ten thousand times as a child.
Speaker 1: What is the film that means the mice to you? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had seeing it will always make it meaningful to you.
Speaker 2: Opened my probably he Man go On, I love that go On. I really I was a big he Man fan as a child, Like that was one of my main things. I liked he Man, so I wanted all the he Man toys. And you know, I didn't have many opportunities to see something that I loved as a child made into a live action film, and I loved everything about it. I remember I had a he Man the Movie Panini sticker book nice because that's how much I liked that movie. And I still to this day, I think that the skeletor makeup was incredible. I knew that they changed a lot of the characters. I didn't care. You know, Dolph Lungren, who I hated because he was Ivan Drago and why or who I wanted to die? I wanted him to die. He was he Man, and I was fine with it because it was he.
Speaker 1: That's a powerful that's a powerful that's an incredible O fulfillment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, give me the he Man.
Speaker 1: Great shout what's the film you might relate to?
Speaker 2: Do the right thing?
Speaker 1: I fucking love it, Spider Man. Yeah, tell me.
Speaker 2: Who I think. My work, my music work attempts to have a lot of conversations on a lot of on a on a lot of levels. Sometimes there are sometimes conversations are small jokes. Sometimes the conversation is a huge cultural commentary. But it's always a peek into my inner world because it's like a you know, it's it's a rap song made with my values, which are different than a lot of rappers values. And I just think, God, what he did with that movie is so inspirational to me as a creator, because you know, you're bringing people into this world like like it it's almost absurdist in some ways, like the way he made that film, But at the end of the day, the conversation is so resonant with people because they they even if they don't know that world from his perspective, they know that world. They know New York, they know old racist people who may not consider themselves racist. They know how calamity can rise to the point where a misunderstanding takes a life. And then there's this rage from the community. And we keep seeing that happen over and over again, you know, with with black people killed by police, Like you see the same rage, like it always points back to that, And to me, it's just it's just genius. And you know, the way that he had that conversation, it's just it's how I always want to be having conversations in my work.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you. I think I know what you mean, because I've read a lot about you. But what is it when you say your values which are different from lice rappers? What do you mean? I?
Speaker 2: Okay, What I really mean is that I think rap as an art form, as a as a craft, as a medium, I think it's a really powerful medium. And because I think it's really powerful, I'm always trying to have conversations with it that people don't necessarily think go with rap or think rap can have. And I understand because like there's a power that comes with having restrictions on an art form too, you know, like the so so restricting rap to particular subject matters of particular perspectives. And if you find what can cut through inside about out inside of that very narrow restriction, that's powerful that what can rise out of that. You know, it's like a lot of like a lot of dance hall, Like it's the same rhythm over and over again, but you find what cuts through, you know, And I and I and I get that. I get that there's a certain power to having this understandable set of of of materials that you're working with in a craft, you know, But I just think it can be so much bigger and I and it's not even just that, I think, because I'm not the only person doing it, like I'm a fan of people who have all these different conversations with rap music. I just I am aware that it's a thing apart from people's expectations. I'm very aware of that, and so that's just something I always know. I'm contending with.
Speaker 1: Love it of it. Thank you, well, good, I'm glad. I'm glad. What is the film you mightce relate to?
Speaker 2: Was that what I thought? You just asked? That is that?
Speaker 1: Is that what you just asked? I did absolutely right, okay, And that was a test because I got caught up, I got syde caught up in your in your wrap theory that I was like, I was lusting your eyes.
Speaker 2: That was so casual. That was so casual too. You're just like, next question, same questions, next.
Speaker 1: Question, what is the film you might relate to? I'm goodding.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect setup. That was great. Thank you for doing it.
Speaker 1: That was thank you. What's the sexiest film you've ever seen? Migo?
Speaker 2: My brain went to eyes white, shut go on, Well, you know, it's it's about it's about Hollywood sex. Parties. You know, there's lots of masks, because it's lots of what appeared to me to be a lot of institutions that allowed people to indulge whatever, you know, And it read to me as sexy. But I don't know. It was just the first answer that popped into my head.
Speaker 1: Listen, no judgment for me. I watched that film recently because I didn't like it when I first saw it, and I've watched.
Speaker 2: It seen it. I've only seen it once.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's it's such a strange film and it's.
Speaker 2: Very it is very weird.
Speaker 1: I didn't find it very sexy, Like there's there's some beautiful people in it, but it's not very it's very cold. It's very weird, and I think the whole film is a joke about Tom Cruise being.
Speaker 2: A scientology.
Speaker 1: Being a sort of simp. Is that the word?
Speaker 2: Like as in interesting.
Speaker 1: He spends two and a half hours trying to get laid and he fails, and everywhere he goes he's kind of emasculated. And she turns up at this audi and he's kind of exposed and he's not allowed in. He's not cool enough for it. Like it's every turn he is foiled in his sex journey. It's a very weird film.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that I would receive it a lot differently than when I first saw I only seen it. I only saw it one time, and my main takeaway from it when I saw it was that, oh right, this isn't done like this, not this isn't finished, this is this is again, this is this is somebody trying to have a conversation about a thing, and then they died in the middle of having the convers and we're left with what's left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could buy that this was quite it. There's a subcategory to this question, troubling Boner is worrying. Why jes a film he found arousing that you weren't sure you should.
Speaker 2: There's a movie I saw recently. It was so good. It had Natalie Portman. It is about Mary Kayla Turno. Yes, that's my answer. Perfect time and what what an excellent movie. But it definitely it had it had it had porno energy at certain points, and and that works on me. It works on my body.
Speaker 1: Gonna work. That's a great film and a perfect time set.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's so good like that I felt like that movie should have gotten every award agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, is objectively the greatest film of all time. Might not be your favorite, but it's the best of cinema. I want to say Chinatown interesting okay again again problematic now, you know, given given its director.
Speaker 2: I mean it probably always problematic, increasingly so as we try to make sense of what of the things people do. But I do think it's a really perfect movie. I like that movie so much, and it just gives me, like you know, seventies cinemas off and talked about as this golden agent to me, like China sounds like one of those crown jewels of it. Yeah, you know, I just love that movie.
Speaker 1: Fair. Fair doesn't come up a lot on this respect.
Speaker 2: That's interesting that it doesn't. But I suppose it probably because of the problematic nature of the director.
Speaker 1: No, I just think not in a favorite of seeing it. Really.
Speaker 2: No, you're okay, that's a job.
Speaker 1: It's good. I don't think it's I don't think people are like cheesing not to sick, So that reason, I think it just missed it.
Speaker 2: That's legitimately surprising to me. That's legitimately surprising. I always figured. I always think about that movie is like one of the great films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, what's the film that you could or have? What's the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: Magnolia?
Speaker 1: Fuck you, that is one of my top ten films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very good. I love very good. It's it is my favorite movie. It is my favorite movie. And it's three hours and it's crazy and you know, slap dash. But I will watch it over and over again for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Talk about big swings that felt, Yes, my god, I love it.
Speaker 2: Talk about Tom Cruise the.
Speaker 1: Best performance of his life. My god, he is good in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kicks ass in it.
Speaker 1: I love that film. I love the beginning. I love the aside from the prologue, which is obviously amazing, but once the song kicks in and then you get this sort of colors of everyone's lives that blows my mind. I didn't have that.
Speaker 2: John c Riley, like, come on, it's so good.
Speaker 1: What is the worst film you've ever seen? You don't have to be nasty about it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've seen a lot of bad movies. Oh yeah, Morbius. Morbius is the worst movie I've ever seen. It is, and it actually is because I remember watching it took because it was being talked about let him like, it can't be, but it is. It's actually horrible. It's actually horrible. Like that's another one. I'm fascinated by it. Like, just like I'm curious about how, you know, a perfect movie gets made, I'm also curious about how like a movie can get made. It's just bad in so many ways, you know, like I guess it should be easier to do that, but it still doesn't happen a lot where it's just like being truly budgeted horrible.
Speaker 1: This is the thing. It's it's kind of a it's people. It's all people. There's so many people making a film, and if some of those people are dickheads or it's egos, and it's fucking scared people scared to take risks so they say, you can't do it, you can't do that, and we have to reach this number or whatever, like algorithms all that shit. That's what makes bad films, I think. But also something like that, it seems like lots of re recuts, lots of reshoots, Like by the time it's finished, it's like a mess, and it doesn't it's nothing close to what was originally planned. I imagine that is again, I guess.
Speaker 2: And it feels like that. I guess that seems to be obviously such a bad way to make a good movie. I'm also curious why that's the choice is made so often, you know, like what makes the executives think this time around, in searching a different story into the movie they already shot, is going to make it better. And it doesn't seem like that. I can't say it never happens, but it seems like people can tell when that happens, and it's usually not good.
Speaker 1: Because I think it's it also comes like sometimes these things they'll do, like a test screening with like one hundred people, clearly random people, and if those people don't like it, they'll panic and change everything and it's like one hundred people sorry, random people. Sorry, you know what I mean, Like like maybe it's not for that, yeah, But then they'll start making huge decisions based on this completely random group of people.
Speaker 2: How things very difficult, you know, It's funny. I had a television show called The New Negroes on Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: Did you write it?
Speaker 2: I wrote on it, but I was credit because I wasn't guilt, But I was in.
Speaker 1: The room writing, oh great, how was there this? Well again?
Speaker 2: I spoke to you about having lived a bunch of my dreams and that was one of them, you know, and it didn't go good, but I got to experience it.
Speaker 1: As in the end result or the success of the show. Did you like the show? You proud of the show?
Speaker 2: I would say, very proud of the show. But I remember so we ended up getting canceled after season one, but we were in talks to do a season two, and I remember thinking, like, if we get the season two, which I very much want, you know, just financially, to be able to you know, creatively, to try to make it better all of those things. I was trying to think of a way where I could do it, but it would cost me less, like psychologically, because the first season cost me a lot. Like the process of it felt like it was feeding on me and my creative partner, Baron Vaughan. He was a creator, but I was, you know, right there with him the whole way. It seemed like it wanted to eat us, like the process wanted to eat us, you know, and eyes was just I just if we were able to do a season two, I would have had to have figured out a way to do it with giving less of myself somehow, because the end result didn't seem to be worth what it wanted from me. You know, it's a basic cable show. It could only be on Friday nights because of the way Comedy Central's budgets were set up. Because it was technically considered a stand up show. All their stand up show has to be on Friday, you know. So that means it's going to be a limited audience of people who are going to be able to see this thing. It's not in a position to take off and become some cultural juggernaut. So I cannot allow it to destroy me. It's not that does not seem to be an equal exchange, you know. But I brought it up to say, yes, they did a focus group on our pilot episode, and a lot of the people who saw the pilot episode had a problem with this one aspect of the show. We were like, Ah, get out of here, whatever. These people who are these people whose people are in Arizona on a Tuesday, They don't know, they don't care about any of this. They were right, though, that's good, that's good. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was. It was the other side of the coin. They had good nights, like retroactively like oh they yeah, they were on us about that since the focus group.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you should have listened. Yeah, that's very interesting. We could talk about that for hours. But lies to live. You're in comedy.
Speaker 2: You're very funny.
Speaker 1: What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 2: How High? No, not How High? Half Baked the other week movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, in college, that movie had me doubled over regularly.
Speaker 1: Love it. I love it. How's up? I imagine?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I think I saw a lifetime's worth in college. I'll probably never see it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like How High.
Speaker 2: I liked How High too. There were parts of about how they were great. There were also parts of How High that I found very strange.
Speaker 1: Opened my eagle. You have been an absolute joy to spend some time with.
Speaker 2: No, thank you. I appreciate that. However, Oh oh.
Speaker 1: When you was when you was in bed and you went you nodded off to sleep, no night. You said no night to the family, not enough to sleep because of a series of choices you'd made throughout your life.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. Yeah, it all came back to haunt.
Speaker 1: Me that night your heart suddenly, your heart seized up and you woke up, and then your stomach ruptured and you had a naneurysm, and your eye popped out, and then your other eye popped out, and then your bulls, your testicles, by my friends, exploded all over, your family covered, and I am walking past you know, I'm like, got coughing with me. I go, is anyone seen open? Mike Eagle and your family come out. They're just covered in sort of bull juice and stuff. And I'm like, oh my god, what happened? And they go, he died peacefully in his sleep. And I go, really, okay. I come upstairs and I look at you, and I got it. Don't look like it, but if that's what you want to tell everyone, and I find you, I'll get you, try and get you in the coffin. But it's more of you than I was expecting. So I get you. I say, come and help me. We'll grab axes.
Speaker 2: We start as it's a big mess.
Speaker 1: Make more of a mess. Yeah, that's easier to deal with. Then we put it, put you all in the coffin. There's too much of you. The coffin is jammed. There's only enough room in this coffin for me to slip one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What are you taking to show the laughing laughers, the laughter in heaven when it is your movie night? Open, Mike Eagle, go please thank.
Speaker 2: You beetle juice from taking beetle juice. Fuck, it's perfect. It makes me laugh, makes me smile. It's that's that movie is a hug. The movie is a hug and.
Speaker 1: Is a beautiful answer? Beautiful man? Is there anything you would like to tell people to listen to or to go and see you at? What would you like to plug?
Speaker 2: I would say, I want them to listen to this episode over and over again, is what I would like them to do. Okay, but then also, yeah, check out the Previous Industries. Album is called Service Merchandise. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Previous Industries. Is the name of you? Is the name of your group?
Speaker 2: That's the name of well, that's name of the album, right, Okay, that's the name of the group previous and the album is called Service Merchandise. And yeah, if you're if you're in the Midwest, the Northwest, or California. We're going to be rolling to those spots in late September, early October. I'm not sure when this comes out, but I'm sure you'll probably.
Speaker 1: Be going in. Yeah. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 2: I have I have a quick question for your quick question for you. This is just so quick and I've only just remembered it right now because if I'm meaning to ask somebody this, You know how, there's plenty of movies where people with British accents do an American accent, and it's my blowing. Are there American actors who do a convincing British accent?
Speaker 1: There's two. I think Gwynipatro does it good, and I think Brendan Zwag does it good.
Speaker 2: Interesting do they try a lot? Does it happen a lot where they try and it's just bad?
Speaker 1: It is kind of it's I think it's a different mouth, move the tongue, everything moves differently. It's easier to go American, and it is hard. It's not like it's not like a judgment on America, like it is. I love hard to go to English from America. It's easier to go in least to America.
Speaker 2: That is so fascinating. Thank you, thank you for that. I've been meaning to ask somebody.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure there are more. When I said two, I was half joking. I'm sure there's lots of great American actors that can do it, but.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking it. I was just thinking of it. I just don't see it all. I just don't see it a lot. Where you see the converse, you see it all the time, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true. All right, opened my kego. You're amazing. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I have a lovely death. So that was episode three hundred and fifty. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards. That's pet Goldstein. Get tickets to the last seven dates of my American stand up tour at Brett Goldstein Tour dot com. Go to Apple podcast, give us a five star writing and blah blah blah. You don't even have to do that. Don't worry about it and live your lives, you know what I mean. Thank you so much, toping mikey All for doing this show. Thanks to Scrubys, Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network, thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it, thanks to iHeartMedia and Wilfare's Big Money Players Network facting it. Thanks to Adam Richarson for the graphics and least the lightning for the photography. Come and join me next week for another fantastic guest. But that is it for now. Thank you all for listening. I hope you're all well.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each others.
Speaker 1: Back back bay bosback cos and cosa by fast by bus, backs and backs, bat back by basta costs by back back back