Speaker 1: It's nine O gene one Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory spelling.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous about today because, oh because it's that we have some serious criticism of this episode and people are not going to be happy about it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: This is Season eight, episode seventeen, The Elephant's Father I Almost Said Daughter, aired January twenty first, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Synopsis. A hot new band like David Song, A hot new doctor comes along. Noah's loyalty makes Donna nervous. Valas punished with community service. Brandon is begging for Kel to come back, while Steve says goodbye to Carly and Zach.
Speaker 1: That's fun. I liked it.
Speaker 2: I have a quick question. Yes, yeah, this guy is not listed on the guest starring but was the boyfriend of the you know, the abusive boyfriend? Was that Ceebee Barnes from the Brady Bunch movie? Can anyone confirm that? But so the boyfriend that, I think that's his name, and he was on a show, he was on some sitcoms kind of in the nineties, and then I think he was Greg Brady in the Brady Bunch movies. Just a little trivia anyone wants to know. I couldn't fact check it because it was like he was so minor that I ran into a pickle. But I'm pretty sure felt strongly about it. Also, Lindsay Price does nothing so far, like they really don't give her anything to do.
Speaker 3: Yet, who told you she's just there to work in the office? Right now?
Speaker 2: I know it's like I didn't.
Speaker 3: You didn't believe it?
Speaker 2: You saw it?
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I just assumed she was cast to replace Hillary Swank and it apparently not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Can is this when we get our Hillary Swang story?
Speaker 1: This? You guys? This was Hillary's last episode.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 1: I was watching it and I don't know what your criticisms Amy are, but I really liked this episode, and I there's something going on with me. I'm not going to deny that, but I cried four times watching.
Speaker 2: I'm happy about it, like not happy, but I'm glad you're feeling something. My criticism is just two parts. Do you want me to save it or start with it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Because I kind of liked this episode too.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, you start with your criticisms, and then it's the other end two where you can tell us that Hillary swank story at the end of the episode.
Speaker 2: Here are my criticisms. I'm sorry, Valerie, You're not gonna get community service at Kelly's do Oh yeah, so funny. I mean it's like, that's not what community service called.
Speaker 3: Butterfly effect, like something happens and it triggers that and it was meant to be. Oh look, Amy, you're right. The guy from the Brady Bunch movie. Yeah, really happy that, Christopher Daniel Barnes. I remember him, of.
Speaker 1: All the clinics and all the lands exactly, Jenny, and of all in the Los Angeles basin.
Speaker 2: And they don't assign you community service in a doctor's office. That's not right. I mean I could be wrong, but I thought community service is like serving meals at the homeless shelter.
Speaker 1: We're cleaning up by the freeway, correct.
Speaker 2: Picking up trash, Like it's not like you get an office job. That was just sort of a ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And also, you're not you remember when we did community service in pH nine O two and.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we got to wear the orange jumpsuits.
Speaker 2: Were you on the cleaning up trash in a park?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 1: I mean it was fun. We didn't really have to do community though it was fun.
Speaker 2: Oh and I correct myself. He was listed as a guest star Christopher Daniel Barnes as Lenny. For some reason, I thought his name was Cebe Barnes. So bad on me. I'm dumb.
Speaker 1: I forgot to mention that Michael Rhodes directed this. Yeah, and L Treadman Trideman L Triedman was wrote the teleplay. And now we have story credit for.
Speaker 2: El me we teleplay versus story. Confusing to me?
Speaker 1: Teleplay tell a play?
Speaker 3: What I feel like?
Speaker 1: We're in the nineteen fifties, me too, seems weird?
Speaker 3: One ring ding, I mean, I guess it means she wrote came to them like I I'm guessing she wrote the story about the physical abuse the girl. It was her story, and she pitched it to them. They were like, Okay, this is great. And then with John Welpley, they put together all the other characters pieces Ellen.
Speaker 1: What happened with the teleplay?
Speaker 2: A teleplay is a script specifically written for a television show, movie, or series. But that's all I can see on the screen.
Speaker 3: Right, So she wrote it and then he probably characterized it because she didn't know the characters because she was.
Speaker 2: New I would interpret it as she did the story with John Welpley created the story, but then she wrote the script.
Speaker 1: I have a question tour. Yeah, do we know who John Wellplea is.
Speaker 3: I think he's our staff writers.
Speaker 1: Oh John, Sorry, I really liked this episode, but.
Speaker 3: We weren't close with him though. I don't know. He wrote a lot of them, but always like more over the Hill, you know, like you guys want.
Speaker 1: To hear something crazy. Of course, this weekend I was I watched a movie and it was called Boys Don't Cry.
Speaker 2: Did you watch it? Because? Okay, so much information needed.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, which one was the movie about the Boxer? Because that's the one I watched?
Speaker 2: Oh not Boys Don't Cry. No, that's Boys Don't Cry. Was the one she won the Oscar for the Boxer one she was nominated.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she was that one dollar baby an Eastwood movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was really good and Boys Don't Cry.
Speaker 2: Guys, she's really good. I really good in everything.
Speaker 1: She was really good in this episode.
Speaker 2: My TikTok has A keeps showing me a movie she was in. I think she has als in the movie. And Emma Emmy Emmy Ross Rossom and Josh Dammella in it, and it's like always on my TikTok and she's like, she's amazing.
Speaker 3: She is really really good. Except there was one alien movie I saw she was in and I was like, I didn't love but.
Speaker 2: Oh oh they go to Mars or something.
Speaker 3: Is it called Mother?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: No, I thought you were talking about the one where she's sort of fighting aliens with the guy from Aaron Brockovich. I might be blurring not one.
Speaker 1: Wait, you guys said she didn't win an Oscar for when she won an Oscar for both.
Speaker 2: She's won two Oscars.
Speaker 1: According to Lorraine our.
Speaker 2: Producer Best Actress twice.
Speaker 1: WHOA, she's doubling down on that.
Speaker 2: I just know one of them. She forgot to thank Chad Low and that was like infamous.
Speaker 3: That was the first one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'm sure she was nervous. I would be nervous.
Speaker 2: Can I just say my one other criticism and then will be positive because I like this episode too. I'm sorry, Brandon, you're mad, but Kelly didn't thank you for the flowers that you scent because you cheated on her, and you're mad. She's not calling you right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Saye might be fully over Brandon like like that.
Speaker 3: I love how they're trying to make him hostile now, so I'm angry he can't even I think Brandon Jason great actor, but he like almost can't even play mad like him, like going to that window with the mother driving and like that's, oh that was insane. That's the most mad he can get.
Speaker 2: Like that was also insane, Like they're they're they're ruining Brandon.
Speaker 3: Ru ruining Brandon ruining.
Speaker 2: It's like, what are you doing? He's not gonna do that. Brandon would be like.
Speaker 3: I'm a national treasure.
Speaker 2: He never would have done it in the first place. Maybe he would have, but he wouldn't be so ridiculous about.
Speaker 1: It and then so self righteous.
Speaker 2: So like the scene with the three boys drinking the beer at like literally the Santa Monica Pier, which was so random, I'm like, what are they doing?
Speaker 1: First of all, I don't believe that Noah's friends with them at all.
Speaker 3: Because you like him or you don't like him, He's fine.
Speaker 2: I just he's not.
Speaker 1: He didn't hasn't earned his way into the.
Speaker 2: I know, he's literally their best friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now he's driving around with Brandon. I don't understand things.
Speaker 3: This is how we roll.
Speaker 2: They're totally trying to make Noah, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start. Okay, let's just which one do you want to talk about? Which?
Speaker 2: Which episode?
Speaker 1: People? I mean, which storyline?
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 1: Let's just get Brandon Kelly since we've already started dipping a toe in there. So yeah, he's it opens on him sad, but there is like that like edge of He's irritated that Kelly isn't calling him back.
Speaker 2: And irritated that you're not like giving him another shot right away?
Speaker 3: Why does he think he deserves another shot? He flum blew it as he says with his eyes wide open, Like what do you mean? Like he like.
Speaker 2: Blew it like it's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like there's no there's no really coming back from that.
Speaker 1: And Donna, oh, you're so sweet. We don't I don't want to jump to your storyline yet away for that, but yeah, she comes back. Kelly goes back to Donna get and asks for her old room back, which I loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, though, it's like Hillary Swayne just like moved in.
Speaker 3: There and speaking how like they have no one Every scene They now have Hillary Carly in every scene like it's a three of them trying to talk about what happened to Kelly, and Kelly's like, oh, you can stay, and then I'm like, no, you should go. She just doesn't feel like one of us. No offense start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the characters, this is.
Speaker 3: Like a Kelly.
Speaker 2: They don't build friendships on this show. They just throw them in and act like we're all supposed to be like, oh, yeah, they're all best friends.
Speaker 1: Do you hit the nail on the head? Amy?
Speaker 3: That is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then when it doesn't work, they just fire them yeah.
Speaker 1: Or send them to Montana to never be heard from the act.
Speaker 2: It's like, why would it work. It's so weird.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna work well because we were told to make it work, so we really gave it our best shot.
Speaker 2: Valeriees just awful, awful.
Speaker 1: It's almost comedic now, Like I feel like she's almost playing it comedic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's agree Did you feel that, like, yes, hey, mister flower delivery man.
Speaker 3: Did you realize she's funny? Like with their lines? But is that a the guys or like what is she doing?
Speaker 2: You know, she probably knows it's absurd. It's absurd what they're doing to her. So she's like, I might as well just make this a little campy.
Speaker 3: You think it was a choice.
Speaker 1: It seemed like she's having a really good time at work, and that's kind of crossing over into the punching of the jokey lines, which is great. I think it's fun, and they're giving her nothing else to do, so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just so terrible, like taking the card off the flowers and rewriting it and telling Brandon and who why would anyone believe anything she says?
Speaker 1: Ever?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 1: Poor thing, poor thing. Yes, the writing of this character. That's what I'm saying, poor.
Speaker 3: Thing to that it's so bad. But again, I six seven. She's been here four years, four seasons. She could have said something.
Speaker 2: Well, she should have, because it's bad. Back on everything you've been saying, Please continue, Valerie.
Speaker 1: Valerie. She also reports that there's I mean, wait, here was where it was at before I got distracted by your dryer? So the the guy that was sexually harassing Kelly got fired and now your dad slipped in, And is how we ever seen him in the office before? Is this the first time?
Speaker 2: They just hired him? That's what he's in.
Speaker 1: Full steam ahead skip of Bee also brings in a new guy.
Speaker 3: I love him, a new guy. And then it all hit me, what Kelly's getting a new doctor again?
Speaker 2: Correct, It's like, but it was so inappropriate of the other doctor, which I agree, he was in a position of power and married. But this guy is also in a position of power. But yet it's not wrong.
Speaker 1: This tip what is going on in this workplace? No one's safe except foul. Nobody wants to date her, but.
Speaker 3: It's always okay, Like what what about when Kelly had was amnesian? No, what was the time? No, she was burned. And then there was the doctor and they dated, but that was okay, even though it was unprofessional there correct, remember.
Speaker 2: Patient doctor, And it's like what that was that was worse than this? At least this guy's sort of like the resident.
Speaker 3: Or underlying thing, like energetically, why do you like medical men?
Speaker 1: I don't they just tell me?
Speaker 3: I do they just come to you? All these medical men, they're.
Speaker 1: The only other men A in town and B in the scene. So that's all I got, just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my gosh, I don't know. It's just the same storyline. But now it's not weird.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: And this guy's here for a while. I remember him. I wasn't this one.
Speaker 1: You weren't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I just feel like you guys didn't have chemistry. I don't know. We'll wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his characters like kind of just like clinging around.
Speaker 2: I also, this is awful, but like the short hair is rough, the pixie do. It's a little drastic, harsh.
Speaker 1: Harsh because I've had it for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no you you went away and then it came back.
Speaker 3: Remember that it went away and then got shorter.
Speaker 2: Oh, and it's I like short hair, but there's something about it's too perfect. Kelly having the short hair is tough because in your heart she has long hair.
Speaker 3: She can't think.
Speaker 2: In my mind, it's just like, wait, Kelly has long hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get that, totally get that. I feel like it looks like one of those Polly pocket wings you put on, like.
Speaker 3: Snap on, snap it on.
Speaker 2: That's I just more was thinking about Felicity, remember, like her hair, and then she could.
Speaker 3: Never get past that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry I didn't like the hair, but that happens. I didn't really like it either. To be honest, it's like too Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just surprised they also let you, not that they control that, but like it's very I guess.
Speaker 1: They could wear a wig, like if nobody liked it.
Speaker 2: I think people at the time liked it. I had short I copied.
Speaker 1: You you had a picture.
Speaker 2: Than I had such short hair. What I literally had short hair like Kelly.
Speaker 3: That short I cannot picture.
Speaker 2: I know it's really was terrible, and that maybe is why I'm triggered.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Yeah, I'm I feeling need to send you flowers or something.
Speaker 2: My eyebrows are ruined because of you guys. Ever, thanks, And I even noticed Lindsay's like everybody with a thin thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love that day.
Speaker 2: I had short hair right around the same time.
Speaker 3: I need to see that picture. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I think thin.
Speaker 1: Brows need to come back in. My daughter Lola has thin brows right now, and I'm obsessed with them.
Speaker 2: I'd love for them to come back in so that I'm in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seen not by chore.
Speaker 1: What does Kelly know that the woman who had a car accident a fender bender is being abused by her husband.
Speaker 2: I think they see the signs and that one. I'm sort of going with because on the pit they figure that stuff out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they take a little more time on the pit, Like she just walks in the door and Kelly's like, oh, oh wow.
Speaker 3: This was nineteen ninety seven, and.
Speaker 1: She's like the I don't know, she's really good. I just didn't see this position, this career for her coming, This healthcare for Kelly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's what you inevitably end up doing with your life.
Speaker 1: More psychology, which I makes sense. We're right, and she's kind of like, you know, help being a therapist to this girl.
Speaker 2: She's great at her job, Kelly at her job. She's running that office like a tight ship. I don't mind that. Although it's like you're twenty two.
Speaker 3: In all the tragedies that have happened to her were all meant to be so help others.
Speaker 1: Learned a lot. What about that split lip? How do you guys feel about that makeup?
Speaker 2: The girls?
Speaker 3: I was watching on my phone so I couldn't tell her.
Speaker 2: I just thought, there's no way this. This boyfriend's gonna come into the doctor's office, and while in the doctor's office yell at her basically, why did you come here with an earshot of every It's like and she where did we end up with her? She's just gone and it's all good now.
Speaker 1: I love that her Lenny. Her name was Leah and his name was Lenny. Oh, you're thinking in real life.
Speaker 3: Because she looks familiar and she going to be honest, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like she was familiar, but he was social a Ron Miller.
Speaker 2: He went on to many a job.
Speaker 1: I did not expect Lenny to look like that when he came in the door of like what okay.
Speaker 2: He was on Day by Day or some show like that. I just went Greg Brady just walked in? What's happening? Immediately? I was like, Greg Brady just walked in because he was the one played opposite Christine Taylor. He was Greg and she was Marsha. I'm pretty sure he might have been Peter.
Speaker 1: You know what, I never watched it, Greg, I refused.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Jenny as a Brady Bunch, It's yeah, I don't like it. It's yucky because you're like, it's too dumb and campy and goofy. I mean, I love the idea kind of, but then it's like it kind of ruins the love I have for the Brady Bunch.
Speaker 1: It was like when they did that movie where other people played are characters or no, what was that movie? Oh?
Speaker 2: That Lifetime thing?
Speaker 3: The real I thought you were being funny and you were gonna say, it's like they when they did that other show called nine O, two and zero where they had other people play versions.
Speaker 1: No, they were different characters.
Speaker 2: I didn't hate that show. I'm not gonna lie. The CW one was actually kind of good.
Speaker 3: It's kind of good.
Speaker 2: It's actually kind of good.
Speaker 3: It is good. It just was different. That's yeah, yeah, at different shows.
Speaker 1: How many episodes was I on?
Speaker 2: Like three?
Speaker 1: Right? No?
Speaker 2: Like thirty?
Speaker 3: So Jen was on twenty two episodes to be exact, but she thinks she was on three, which is why I love her so much.
Speaker 2: My death, Bet, I remember, I feel like your bank account would know that you were on twenty two versus I don't really look at that, But I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: You were the glue that held the show together. You were not just a guest star.
Speaker 2: I always no, do you ever get residuals from that?
Speaker 1: Amy? When I say I don't think about money, I'm not lying, Like if I think about money, it.
Speaker 2: Stops your panic or something.
Speaker 1: Oh no, if I if I think about it, I strangle the flow of it. So oh, I have to actively say I'm not thinking about that.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: But also, oh, I'm going to start saying that, like just the stress is not good.
Speaker 2: And you get nothing from Beverly Hills nine o two and oo, like, do you ever get thirty two cents or anything like that?
Speaker 3: I think once in a while, Oh, that's cool, but rarely it'd be like ten cents at this point maybe less.
Speaker 1: Oh myank goodness me.
Speaker 3: It's just like leader up.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like rude. I'd be like ten cents really.
Speaker 3: Or one cent if you're kind of one cent one But you're not. You're supposed to wait, what is it. You're supposed to cash them, right, and not just keep them. You have to have like a pile of them.
Speaker 1: No, you've got like thirty two sense in a pile over there.
Speaker 2: I think they like the checks like eventually don't work.
Speaker 1: You got to deposit, right, Remember when you had to go to the bank to deposit a check?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Do? I mean I still do that because I don't know how to do it on the phone.
Speaker 2: You put it through the ATM, or you go to the teller.
Speaker 1: I go to the teller. But like now the kids they just take a picture of it and somehow magically the money goes in their account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that.
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like pretty technology, like pretty good at some of the stuff like that. Good. All my bills are paid online. How about you guys writing checks? Just writing? Dear Pgy, you're so calga to the order of.
Speaker 3: Putting. I'm like folding it.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you, I don't know if this episode, you guys think you forgot to pay attention to the episode. So allry, let's bring it back Valerie dude brutal. Yeah, and then we've got Billy David like just Trophy.
Speaker 3: Oh that one.
Speaker 2: He's in with the band. The guy's such a.
Speaker 3: Jerk, Like, wait, isn't that your friend mine? Yes? Friend, I think Johnny Whitworth.
Speaker 2: Okay, did it not feel trophy to you guys?
Speaker 3: Like we've know it's someone who's doing this stupid friends with them? Yeah, and his wife? Are you thinking of Damon?
Speaker 2: No Jasper's Law?
Speaker 3: Who are the actors that played on them? Am I getting his name right? Johnny Whitworth, Paul Papa Witch.
Speaker 1: No, I don't remember. I'm sorry, that's.
Speaker 2: Okay while you think about that terrible storyline.
Speaker 3: Who are the other actors?
Speaker 1: And also just like silly that the main jasper? I guess is he so rude? Eddie Ibel?
Speaker 2: Well and right? Do you want some drugs? What?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, here we go with David again. Is this gonna happen?
Speaker 1: It was going to happen, but it didn't.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it didn't, but it's still tropy. It's just like we've seen this. Please give David something to do. And then how about how in love David and Valerie are?
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait a minute about David? Thank you? What? Can't skip over that? So he's like, sure, I'll sing a little bit of it for you five six seven eight and like a full like pre recorded song of his own voice, but like it's like studio recorded.
Speaker 3: I and you know how I feel about David slash Brian I cringed. I was like, no, I wanted to be over now.
Speaker 1: I cringed in all the good ways. So it's like, really, yes, this is so good he's singing and it's the worst song ever even just like the keyboards of it, like annoying, Like I don't know, poor guy, was that one of his songs or was that one of david songs?
Speaker 3: He he said it was one of my old songs.
Speaker 1: About an old girlfriend being you.
Speaker 3: I mean he must have written it, right, yeah, and then why is he show shady?
Speaker 1: When he tells val She's like, what's the song about? Is it fast?
Speaker 2: It's right right right right? Ah?
Speaker 1: Cute that she wants to know because his girlfriends, yeah, they want to say she wants to support him, But why is he so dodgy about it? Because it was about Donna?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I think we're supposed to think, or no vow.
Speaker 1: Care, Like what it's an old song I wrote about my mom?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Tropy trophy trophy, tropey trophy.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel as if I know you guys are going to tell me that Kelly and Brandon get back together, but I just don't see how that could happen.
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 3: No, she's gonna date this doctor. Uh no, too soon.
Speaker 2: I don't want to like spoiler alert, but like, yeah, you don't remember any of the like wedding episode, the almost wedding.
Speaker 1: I kind of do because I was wearing a big white dress. So that's kind of like a marker in my memory.
Speaker 3: Banks good.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happens. Okay, but do you know how many wedding dresses I've worn?
Speaker 3: Like real life? Yeah, camera.
Speaker 2: For me. The next chunk of episodes are a bit around the river and through the woods, like they just are sort of like twisty turvy, like they don't make any sense. They're kind of boring, like there's all these things and you're like, what's happening? It doesn't. It's like that's my take on the next I don't know, say ten episodes. Okay, I don't know what episode we're on. Maybe it's eight.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll buckle up then, because I kind of enjoyed this ride. I loved it when Donna stoock.
Speaker 2: Up, stock up, we got it, stuck it up, took up or stood stood up.
Speaker 1: Sure for Donna a word she stuck up, making that a thing, guys go with it. He stood up for Kelly and saying like that really I could sell that like triggered you Donna because or even you Tori. But like about guys the cheat and then them just being like forgiven or like our job to now be like, oh, okay, well I'll put that behind me because I really want to be in a relationship with someone because that's so desperate.
Speaker 2: That was quite a good scene actually with the phone call. That was a top scene in this episode, along with some of the end with Carly. But that was a good scene. Which scene when Donna's on the phone and Brandon really wants to talk to Kelly and Donna's sort of Kelly's there, it's sort of this three way scene and he's a.
Speaker 1: Friend or something, and Donna was like, yeah, I'm trying to Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was a really that was a well written scene in my opinion. It was a good acted scene by all three of you. That was a very That was probably one of my top scenes in this episode.
Speaker 3: That was a good scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just like that, And then I liked it also that that like caused a rift between you and your boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Uh, that was not a great scene at the dinner dinner with Noah, Donna, Now that was just absurd. You're having like the greatest time and then somehow this comes up and then it's just like dramatic napkin throw down. Why I'm like, why what are you doing Noah?
Speaker 3: And he threw it down like in front of me because that's where the camera was.
Speaker 1: Like can you imagine that character of Noah when he's like an older wealthy man. I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: I just feel like Noah would have been like, Brandon, you're an idiot. Why'd you screw this up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And then he would have said none of my business.
Speaker 2: Like correct, It's like they don't. That's the problem with the writing. And again, people are gonna write mean comments to me, but it's all all over the place, like Noah's a good dude. You've written him as a good dude. Make him stay that course. This is the guy that got the boat and didn't tell anyone about his money, and he does the right thing and he's a good boyfriend. And Donna, Noah would have said what Brandon did is so dumb. Now, if Kelly wants to forgive him, she can, but I think what he did was terrible.
Speaker 1: Well that's kind of what he did.
Speaker 3: That's kind of He doesn't end up saying yeah, like I'm not gonna do that to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he says at the dinner, I know these things open it's not a big deal, a good girl, and it's like, I.
Speaker 1: Think he was saying it in a way that we weren't like following what he really meant. Like he was saying it, it came out as like weird. Hi, it's Jenny Garth from the I Choose Me podcast. You guys, I'm thrilled to announce that the second annual I Choose Me Live, a Women's Empowerment Summit, is coming to the iHeart Theater in Los Angeles. It is a girls day out. There will be shopping, there will be cocktails, there will be goodie bags. So join me and our incredible guests, my friend Gabrielle carteris aka Andrea Zuckerman, who doesn't want a little nine a te Oho, Amanda Kloops, Genie My Paradise Star, Sarah Shahi Caramo, Bethany Joy Lenz, Yes Hayley from One Tree Hill. So join me for fabulous conversations with these trailblazers, and I promise you this will be a day that can change your life for the better. You need this, trust me. Coming April twenty fifth to the iHeart Theater in Los Angeles. Tickets are on sale now at veeps dot com. I remember now why it was hard for me to act with Noah's character. Yes, And I hope people don't get mad at me for saying this. It's just my observation and my opinion, and I'm sure I did things that were stupid. But he was in the scene with you, and it dawned on me because he would say a couple words, and then he'd look to the right. Oh, then say a couple words, and then he'd looked to the right, and then he say a couple of words and he looked to the right. There's something about that, like cadence of acting where they can't make contact eye contact for the like for the scene they have to look away in order to eat. What is that remembering my line let me oh? Or is that like I don't know what to do next, so I'm just going to look away. I don't know what that was.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, And now I'm going to notice that all the time.
Speaker 1: He specifically does it. And maybe it's just because the writing feels hard for him, or.
Speaker 3: I feel like I know what you're talking about, and I feel like he did do it often, and it was like almost like a choice.
Speaker 1: Like David did it too. David's character did it too.
Speaker 3: Like it I'm turning to make an emotional choice.
Speaker 1: It's always that though it's it was always I think I did. I felt that sometimes with David's character too, like not like it was. I remember, like in the scene thinking, wait, what what's over there? Like what are you talking to me? Or is it are you over there?
Speaker 3: Because in real life that's really telling, at least for me. I like when people talk to me and meet my gaze the entire time, I'm often thinking if they're looking away, something's off about what they're saying, they're thinking about what to say, they're lying.
Speaker 1: Or they're feeling insecure.
Speaker 3: Right, So I know. I actually, as an actress, like I always tried to meet everyone's gaze because that's what I do in real life and you're the satan. But often male actors specifically, we would see them do that, like hmm, that's odd.
Speaker 1: But it's just like when I was watching that scene with the when you guys make up, it really made me remember.
Speaker 2: That it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Actual I'm gonna keep looking for it now it is distracting as the partner in the scene, the other actor. Yeah, I know what you mean though, and not just with fince like it would happen with other people and it's like, yeah, you want to be like what in real life you'd be like, what are you looking at? You're not talking to me?
Speaker 1: Have you been on the because I can fully relate even just in like regular conversations now, yeah that Sometimes people will just dodge your eyes contact completely and you're like, Okay, I don't know what's happening here.
Speaker 3: But and have you ever said, in a heated moment, went like what are you looking at? Are you looking behind me? What's going on? I have? And they're like what do you mean I aren't? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But also, is constant eye contact weird?
Speaker 2: Right? You don't want to be like, oh, like I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk to you, tory about something very important to me, and you have to listen to every word I'm saying. If I'm not, I'm not freaking Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess not constant, but like cool, it's a tough one. I mean, you can look down or something, but when people just look like just away and it's almost like behind you, You're like someone behind me? Who's here? You know? It's so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm now I'm gonna be now, I'm gonna have to watch off and the whole show. But that's fine. I want to be like paying more attention.
Speaker 3: No With Noah, it's like he's not looking at anyone else. He's just like, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he's almost like taking a moment to be brooty or think Brudy, like Rudy.
Speaker 3: It's part of his makeup of his acting.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't mind him. I like him. Frankly, I like him more than brand to anyone.
Speaker 3: Else on the show, anyone else. Hey, now, what male? You mean?
Speaker 1: I think male?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm totally talking about the guy.
Speaker 1: But when I cried, okay, yeah, when'd you cry? Even though we all have said and have felt that Steve and Carly Carly have no chemistry, I never felt that. I felt it in this episode, and I felt so sad. I cried when he came into the apartment and he was sad, and he was wearing that really tight brown shirt and he looked really muscular. And then I cried in that scene, and then I cried at the airport.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: It's such a good job acting.
Speaker 2: I find it so she's just so emotional. I find it so weird that you get fired and then you're told but you have to do a full episode to leave the show. That's very emotional about how sad you are to leave when you would be like you just fired me.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay, so we have you told the what really happens story? Is it time? I'm dying to know.
Speaker 3: So from now, everyone out there, please, this is from my perspective and my memory sake, So I'm not going to get it for batim what she said, but from this is how I saw it go down. We were all in our dressing rooms. Hillary and I had become quite close. I had gone out with her and Chad and we had hung out.
Speaker 2: She was married to Chad at this time. God correct, Okay.
Speaker 3: So I was kind of safe place on set and she would talk to me about everything. And she said, Paul Wagner said, who was our main producer on set. Paul Wagner wants to talk to me in his office. Do you know what it's about? And I didn't. I didn't know anything, and so I was like, I'll be in my dressing room, you know, I'll wait, And she was like, I'm so nervous. So she goes in and she comes back and she's crying, and she comes into my dressing room. We shut the door and she said, I just got let go. I'm being fired from the show. And I was like what, because I hadn't heard any of this. We didn't know, and she was hysterically crying, and I just remember and I'm sorry, I'm not going to get this wording exact, but she was like, oh my god, if I get fired off of nine oh two and zero, I'm never gonna make it. And the ironic thing is, if she stayed on nine on two, No, she would not have been able to audition for Boys Don't Cry. She would not have been able to get that role, do that role, and then win an Academy Award.
Speaker 1: Things always work out.
Speaker 3: But she really felt like, and it was I'm trying to think it wasn't in a negative, but we were in our eighth season. It wasn't like we were in our prime anymore. And it's like, gosh, if I can't keep a gig on a series on TV that's popular, I'm never making it anywhere. Like my career's over.
Speaker 2: Wow, that must have been a terrible feeling for her to get called into that office, and you know she knew like, oh, I have a lump in my throat something. Why am I getting called in here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? And then they say to you, but you gotta do one more episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know when she was told that's a thing. I don't know how many episodes she stayed once they told her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they didn't tell her until it was time, like they finished of filming.
Speaker 3: So after that and after she left the show, just because you know, we were always going at like Meek speed and you hung out with whoever you were working with. I didn't see her for years, and then she had won the Academy Award. It was years later. It was I believe after nine oh two and oh just a year or two after, so it would be like two thousand and one, two thousand and two, something like that. And I was in New York for fashion Week at Mark Jacob's show, and I was walking and the photographer goes, oh, Tori a picture, and then he goes, oh my gosh, Hillary, and she was walking and I hadn't seen her since, and he goes, it's a nine o two and zero reunion. I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it still lingers over me that she goes, oh, she goes no, I'm sorry, and she kept walking.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't blame her because it wasn't about you, but she's like, why would I do that photo when these people fired me and now I'm a big oscar When.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Toris.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was just you, Tori No, but the guy saying a nine O two one Oho reunion. Immediately, you would be like, every headline is going to be that. I don't know. I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 1: I too would be like, yeah, maybe she's too you going somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did say I I gotta go, and but I did take it personally, and I was like, oh, that's a bummer. I guess because we're just like a TV series and she's a big like movie star, she doesn't want to take a picture with me.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't look at it like that, But what do I know?
Speaker 3: Again, Like I said, I took them and I've never seen her since. So that's why I give.
Speaker 4: Her the benefit of the doubt, obviously, But Toy bothered me all these years because I felt like when she was going through a lot. I was there for her, and I felt so ashamed that like, oh, it like made me feel like.
Speaker 1: Tory, you need to out to her or not just be like whatever, it's not important to you now in your life, Like I know who cares.
Speaker 3: If Jen was there, she'd be like, what do you care? Take your photos? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I get it, but I also get like, you're friends with her, why not reach out to her. I bet she'd be so happy.
Speaker 3: To say hi, or to say at the Mark Jacob Show, why would you not take a picture with her?
Speaker 2: Say hi?
Speaker 3: Twenty years ago?
Speaker 2: I'm dying.
Speaker 1: I'm dying to know if she would remember.
Speaker 2: But reach out to her so that you show the friendship and she's going to show it back.
Speaker 3: I bet I'll slip into her DMS. Let's see what happens, right.
Speaker 2: Why not? I would be so happy to hear from someone from twenty years.
Speaker 1: Ago that would that DM say, I'm just how do you do that?
Speaker 2: Hillary? I wanted to reach out.
Speaker 1: I'm not asking you, oh, no offense, I'm asking to I want to know how Tory would slip into her.
Speaker 3: Do you know me? I'll just be like, Hi, it's been a long time. Hope you're well. I don't know how are you?
Speaker 2: Can I get my version? Okay? Say Hillary? Yeah, yeah, I've been thinking about you a lot as we're rewatching your episodes of nine oh two one oh on my podcast, and it just made me think, like how much I loved our friendship, and you know, I wanted to reconnect. I hope you're well, Like you have those beautiful babies. You seem so happy. Your career has been incredible. I just wanted to tell you that I could do that. Being nice is such a great thing.
Speaker 1: I'm not suggesting she not be nice. Oh I know, I know, like if it really matters to her, which I don't really think it matters to your tour. But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just am saying, right, why not? Like you were friends with her? Why not? People love that stuff? I think TVD not TBD. Do it?
Speaker 1: Do you think about it?
Speaker 3: And do you think I'm going to any No?
Speaker 2: And that's what cress me, Daddy, because it's like you will bump into her. Fate makes that happen. But like if I were Hillary Swank, I would love to hear from you, like I I think that that's so nice to say, Hey, I'm rewatching it. You were great. I loved working with you on this show. I want nothing from you but to tell you how how much fun it was, and I'm sorry we didn't get to work together more. And how amazing you've become Bravo. I don't know, I know, but that's what I do.
Speaker 3: I love your passion though. All right, we at the end.
Speaker 2: Well, we have to talk about how sad it was that she left, and they make such a big to do over it, which I was like, I think, if you fire someone I.
Speaker 1: Like, I like the coat we gave her, yeah and that.
Speaker 2: But my things like, if you fire some a character, why not just why do the whole episode?
Speaker 1: I feel like it could be still open ended, Like who's to say Steve doesn't go correct, he missus theres so much and goes to see her, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: That's why I was like, why even do it this way? If you're firing her because the character isn't popular and it's not going well, why not just start the episode and she's gone.
Speaker 3: I mean, they didn't have a big like to go party for Claire. It was just that scene with Steve, right.
Speaker 2: That's why I was like, this is like more than we did for any of these characters that were on that.
Speaker 3: Maybe they felt so bad that they wanted to like give her a big good bye scene.
Speaker 2: That's the part that was weird. I mean it was huge goodbye scene. It was a huge goodbye party a thing. The airport scene like.
Speaker 3: A little they went overboard.
Speaker 2: Which I liked, made me want her to not leave. I was like, don't leave.
Speaker 3: Stay mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So I just was befuddled because I'm like, if you're firing or why are you doing this whole thing?
Speaker 1: I really liked her in that episode.
Speaker 2: She's freaking awesome. I like the character.
Speaker 1: Frankly, you didn't though, correct.
Speaker 2: No, because I felt like they made her so annoying in the first couple episodes. Because what you're forgetting is remember in the first couple of episodes, she was snarky. She was like rude to Steve, blowing him like the whole thing. She was very snarky and like no, I'm not gonna go out with you, and you're terrible, Like what are you doing? You know? Because remember he met her through your sister at the soccer field. Yeah, took Aaron to the soccer field.
Speaker 1: Oh oh that sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah sorry, And so I was like the half sister, no Aaron, And so they made her unlikable in the first like three episodes, and that was what I had forgotten. But what But I just remember her being like, eh, I don't care about her, and I am convinced the reason I didn't care about her is because they did her dirty in the beginning. Then they make her kind of great, but it was like too late, and they they still had the people's you know, voices in their ear being like this character's annoying from way before when she was annoying. Now she's not annoying and you're getting rid of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah sorry, Wow, makes no sense exact.
Speaker 2: It's like you fixed it, unlike what you did to Jamie Walters, where you made him terrible. We wanted him to go. You made her great, and now you're getting rid of her. Why.
Speaker 1: I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: I'm tired by this.
Speaker 3: You exhausted.
Speaker 1: Lucky for her, she left.
Speaker 2: Correct like that. She's probably like devastated and then she's like, whoa, I want an Oscar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I can relate, not the oscar part, but like, have you ever been fired like that? I called in known office or and told or been put on a phone call with somebody who fires you?
Speaker 2: Just makes me think of something that I don't even want to say. But like, say you were on a show that fired you. Wouldn't you want that shot? Like Tank?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're.
Speaker 2: Telling me you were on a show. Say you're on a show I don't know and they fire you, would you not want that show to like do worse without you? That's just like human nature? Is that terrible? I try to be Michelle Obama about it, but I'd still be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in the back of your mind maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe not Tank, Or you're like I hope they missed me, or hope, yeah, I hope.
Speaker 1: They get canceled.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's hard to be like rise.
Speaker 1: Above, Yes, it is, it's hard. But have have you ever been fired from a job tour?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Amy, No, I've had some lumps. I'm not gonna lie, but I've never been like called into an office and be like you don't work here anymore. I've had things that I want that I didn't get or whatever.
Speaker 1: Jen, I've been fired from what? Oh uh? It was a pilot pilot episode and then they recast me, oh to who I don't know who the girl was. I And did the show even get picked up? Nope?
Speaker 2: And aren't you happy about that?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't really care.
Speaker 3: But tell them the reason, because it's yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter the reason. I'm just saying I got fired and I had those feelings.
Speaker 2: Of but you didn't have any part of you that was like the show didn't go.
Speaker 1: At that time. No, I was not harboring Oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, see you're a better person than me. I'd be like, ha, the show didn't get picked up, you should have kept me. I didn't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think I even really liked the show. Oh okay, so I didn't really care.
Speaker 2: So you're like, thank you.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, but I didn't go on to win an oscar, but I did go on to get a different show, which was exactly what better.
Speaker 2: But now I want to know what the show was. Can you tell my god?
Speaker 1: I don't know the name of it. It was about a bike shop, I think, and it didn't even happen. It was like one of those what was that show about the pizza and the two guys in the pizza.
Speaker 2: Oh, two guys a girl in a pizza place.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like that, but this.
Speaker 2: Was two guys a girl in a bike shop. Yeah, I was the girl, Ryan Reynolds the guy.
Speaker 1: No, don't remember, but it didn't feel good. So I have a lot of empathy how she must have felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, this is like so I feel awful for her, and then they make her they obviously fired her, and then they make her do this whole episode.
Speaker 1: I'm really dying to know, like, did that conversation with Paul come after the last scene or was it.
Speaker 2: Like no, because she knows.
Speaker 1: The episode No, but I'm saying they left it open ended, like it didn't feel like they'll never see each other again. It felt like, well, she's just going to Montana to but.
Speaker 2: She says in the episode, but if I can't keep moving Zach, if I find a school, we're gonna stay.
Speaker 1: He was so oh cute in this episode.
Speaker 2: I know that GE's sdorable.
Speaker 3: I feel like they told her like one episode or two episodes before this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what I think too.
Speaker 1: That sucks.
Speaker 2: That's what's the worst. That's the craziest part of how your jobs are? You get fired, but you have to come back to work. It's like, oh, you're fired, but you'll be working for another month. Oh okay, whoa. It's like those poor people at Access Hollywood. Right now, the show's done, but they have to work all the way till September brutal.
Speaker 1: My friend Mishka, Yeah yeah, but they're all excited. They're all already onto their next thing.
Speaker 2: Well that's good.
Speaker 3: Clap on. Wait what's the next episode?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it doesn't matter what the title is, it will mean nothing. It's called Rebound, Season eight, episode eighteen.
Speaker 2: Steve's rebounding, maybe Brandon's rebounding. You're rebounding everyone?
Speaker 1: Oh, everybody's rebounding.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh wow. See that one means something, I guess. So don't tell me there's any basketball in it or I'll freak out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny, that's funny. That's actually funny.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding it.
Speaker 1: You love the sports show, you know I don't.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. Whatever happened to that cutie that played basketball? That Tory should have dated?
Speaker 3: But whatever? Oh was it? DeShawn?
Speaker 2: Yeah that was a mess up.
Speaker 1: Well you never know, honestly, at this point, what's gonna happen next week, so I'm gotting to find out I might be watching it. How about you?
Speaker 2: Wait, what are we giving it?
Speaker 1: I'm I give it an eight and a half seven, sorry seven.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give it a seven point five.
Speaker 1: Good scores that'll keep you around for another week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.