Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we're always designated to return the next day. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm with Evan Silva. I was thinking back to my days back at Rhoda World. Cutdown day, a tough day in the NFL for a lot of players, a compelling day for front offices where you're putting together the roster and you're watching the rest of the league. But I was thinking back to when I was starting out in this business at Rota World, and it was a very busy day. You would have to just watch the transactions and pump them out, you know, minute after minute you're waiting for the fifty three to get reported. And who would be with me in the trenches back then, but Evan Silva. So I thought, no one better to do this day and go over what we find interesting today. How you doing, Evan?
Speaker 2: How's it going? Greg? Yeah? A lot has changed, especially from the like from a rule standpoint, since those days used to be like three rounds of cuts, there were definitely two. Now there's always three.
Speaker 1: Three back in the day.
Speaker 2: Now now there's only one. And I remember, like the night before especially final cuts, like I'd be rooting please teams like release some cuts early so we could just start shipping away at them because we knew that the next day was going to be absolute hell. And the teams, they were supposed to have all their cuts out by like four pm or five pm Eastern Time or something like that, but they would always be one or two teams. They wouldn't release their cuts until like hours afterwards. And by that time we're I'm punch drunk on the internet. You know, had been blurbing all day waiting for the freaking Raiders to release.
Speaker 1: It was always the Raiders, the Raiders in the Seahawks. But I got to give some props to the Raiders. Maybe with Tom Tellesco in the building, something changed. They were one of the first teams out. There are still a few straggling teams out there, but we'll make sure they're all covered. We wanted to get going. You're a busy man, you're running so.
Speaker 2: In the blurbs though, I mean I would just take a flamethrower to the braids, just blasting them for not releasing their cuts on time. But yeah, we can jump into this.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I remember that I love the caustic Silva Blurbs, and they weren't they weren't labeled with who wrote them, but you could always tell which one was a Silva blurb. And yeah, that's how I look at today's show. Look, there weren't gigantic headlines, just little nuggets. They're different flavors of these NFL daily shows. We got some big previews coming up this week, but this is more of a housekeeping day where we're looking at what happened around the league, trying to have our takeaways as we really get ready for the season. And so yeah, let's just dive right into it. I could start in a million different places here, but I'm going to start with OBJ, just because I've been tracking this story for a while. He was placed on pup to start the season, and so you mentioned how the rules have been changing. Evan, pup means you're out for four games now you're eligible to return at that point. You're gonna have to be activated at some point in there. And the Insiders, of which I'm having one on later in the show, maybe I'll ask him about it. Ian Rappaport said, Oh, this was a possible you know outcome the whole time with Obj, But give me a break. They weren't saying that publicly. It's pretty disappointing for them. They really want to run an eleven offense here with three wide receivers. They wanted Odell Beckham to be a big part of the team, and he's just not going to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, he opened the camp, he opened camp on active pup though, and he never got obviously, never got in the practice field. I feel like the Beat writers were talking about how they would barely even see him around the facility. I think it could be potentially a positive for Odell Beckham. He's not gonna have to play the whole season. When they get him back in week five or week six or week seven, he's going to be healthier than he is now, and at that point maybe he can join their three receiver set. I think one guy who's kind of interesting here to see what kind of a role he can earn, and I think it's Braxston Barrios is going to open the season as the number three, but Molik Washington the sixth round pick. I think it's kind of interesting all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're banged up. Jalen Waddle hasn't been healthy, River Craikcaft hasn't been healthy, and I'm just curious, Well, I got you, like, what are you viewing for this Dolphins offense? Because usually they start like a house on fire, but their offensive line, the receivers are banged up, the running backs look awesome, Like what's your fantasy outlook right now? And yeah, people get over to establish the run. It's draft season. I got a draft on Wednesday. My kids have a draft on Friday. Like it's time. It's time to be to be getting that subscription and getting your money's worth it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have Tyreek Hill as a top five overall pick number three right now in my top one fifty rankings. You know, seventeen hundred plus yards in both of his seasons under Mike McDaniel. I'm not too worried about his injury stuff. And then Jalen Waddle last year was like a consensus second round pick. This year, you can get him in the fourth because he's not coming off as great as season. He was banged up a lot last year. But I love him. I love taking him in the third round. If something were to happen at Tyreek Kill, Jayalen Wattle is going to win your fantasy league.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that, so that's the Dolphins on Tuesday. The Packers started making moves on Monday, including the trade for Malik Willis from the Titans for a seventh round pick, and then they cut Sean Clifford, who was their backup quarterback last year. They also cut my guy from Tulane, Michael Pratt. A tough day out here for the Pratt Pack because there was a report on si dot com that he might not even get back to the practice squad, that they want to keep Clifford there. I mean, seventh round pick out of Pratt. I mean, Malik Willis being one snap away from playing for a contender is a little surprising to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that former what number he was supposed to be the number three overall pick and went in the third round Malik Willis and he just never showed anything. I mean, obviously he's athletic, he's got a strong arm, but just in terms of consistency, ball location, I mean, he just really never put anything together. Even in preseason games. He was largely unimpressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know for fantasy AJ Dillon going on injured reserve for the season, that was a surprise. Yes, it might be something where they can work out an injury settlement. At some point he had a stinger and then Marshawn Lloyd is not on IR, not on POP. He's on the active roster. I guess he's the backup. I don't know if he's healthy, Like, what's the fallout there in Green Bay?
Speaker 2: Marshall Lloyd has been out for two and a half weeks. There was actually a report that he would end up opening the season on a list. Probably it would be short term IR, but for now he is there. I think Emmanuel Wilson would be on track to be the Packers number two running back. This is a player that maybe the Packers like more than we know. But to me, the biggest beneficiary is like they are going to open the season with Josh Jacobs as a true warhorse behind a pretty good run blocking offensive line in an offense. So I think the arrow was pointing up. I think Josh Jacobs awesome third round fantasy pick with very little competition in the backfield.
Speaker 1: I love Jacobs. He's very hit or miss. He's kind of due for a hit year. I would just worry our producer, Randy's a Packers fan. Here. If I'm Randy, I mean, you're one injury away from like Emmanuel Wilson RB one maybe Week one, and one injury away from Malik Willis. Obviously, everyone you know would be a problem if you lose your quarterback, but just a little thin at those positions. They also cut their draft pick from a year ago, Andrews Carlson, so they have their new kickers, Greg Joseph at least for now. And we might as well say the public service announcement that everyone feels the need to say this time of year. It's true though these are not the final rosters. There's going to be more moves. If there was a team that was going to pick up a veteran running back, Green Bay would probably be high on the list. Absolutely another veteran move on Tuesday trade. Ernest Jones been tracking this the last couple of days. The Titans trade for the Rams captain on defense. Weird. They only had to give up a pick swap of a fifth and a sixth round pick, so basically the Rams said we're getting rid of this guy. We'll take whatever we can get. Shocking to me, because like when Aaron Donald retired, he was literally quoted saying to Ernest Jones, this is your defense now, And like Ernest Jones is a guy the Rams have you know, talked up a lot as kind of a leader and everything, and now he's just gone for nothing. Strange, I think an undrafted free agent they really like Omar Spates is gonna start, But just a weird camp for the Rams losing a bunch of players and Ernest Jones. It sounds like maybe he's not one hundred percent healthy or fit after surgery this offseason, but a good pickup for the Titans who were not looking good at linebacker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Omar Spates went undrafted out of LSU, so you know every game that he plays in is a huge million scouts there. You know, I feel like NFL teams don't usually miss on a guy like that because there's so much tape on him. But you know, obviously you look good in training camping. Right now he has slotted in as a starter at off ball linebacker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're They're a strange team. I don't know, I don't know what to think about that.
Speaker 2: They are a strange team. And every year I'm kind of like, what are they doing? And then you know, eighty percent of the time it works out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for for fantasy, Pooka Akua's injury is something to keep an eye on. Cooper Cup has looked really healthy. I think it remains to be seeing how Pooka Nikoua comes off this injury. Just because he's back at practice. We just don't know. So that's a that's a little worrisome. Like where do you have those two guys? I'm going to hit you up for some fantasy nuggets while we're doing this. Why not, Like, where are you see in Puoka Cooper go off the board? I would have said they're nowhere near each other in my mind a Cup weeks ago and now for value, I might rather have Cooper Cup just because I'm a little freaked out about the Pookah injury and how.
Speaker 2: To be I would tend to agree with you. Pooka Nakula right now though, is my twelfth overall player. But yeah, I mean I haven't really heard any any substitute, substantive or positive report on his health since he went down, which was a while ago. I mean, I'm just not really sure I have Cooper Cup like number twenty three or twenty four overall, But I think that for value, I mean Pokinakua kind of regularly goes in the first round. At the end of the first round, I think for value, I'm leaning toward Cooper Cup right now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna just give my tip here is I'm fading Pookinakua right now, just based.
Speaker 2: On okay, based on the vibes.
Speaker 1: I'll leave it there. Charles Amena, who is on the pup list. He is on the Chiefs. He's a he's a pass rusher. There are a lot of moves for the Chiefs, so I'm just going to go through the defending cham By the way, the Titans also cut Caleb Fairley, who was a first round pick a couple of years ago, so I thought that one was interesting. He just was never healthy enough to stay on the field for the Chiefs. Charles Amnahu on the pup NFI list. He was heard of course late last season in the playoffs, and so he's not going to be back for a while. They traded a seventh round pick for Cam Thomas, who was a third rounder from the Cardinals. It's kind of weird that the Cardinals are giving up on an edge rusher that the Chiefs want because the Chiefs are so much better at that position. The Chiefs also traded a late pick for tight end Peyton Hendershot. I would be afraid Evan to trade with the Chiefs at this point. Brett Viach has kind of reached my standard of what the Patriots used to be. Just be like, I don't want to trade them players. So maybe they know something we don't know. They're going to make us look bad.
Speaker 2: Also, the Cardinals moved on from Cam Thomas after losing bj Ojalaari for the season. And do you know what the deal is with Darius Robinson, their second round pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is on injured reserve, designated to return.
Speaker 2: You know, these are the kind of moves like when I'm building my matchups column for Week one, Like there's a cluster situation right now going on with the Cardinals at I actually kind of like it. For their offense, I think they're gonna be in a lot of shootout situations this year because on defense they're just so shorthanded, especially up front. Their best cornerback is Sean Murphy Bunting. I mean, they're gonna and I like Jonathan Gannon as a schemer, but it's gonna be hard to scheme around this.
Speaker 1: Right I took an early look at the Week one lines. I only sounded like two, and immediately I saw Bill's minus six, and I was just thinking, well, fantasy, and that Bill's are going to put thirty five on this team. Maybe the Cardinals can kind of keep up and Kyler and the offense will be fun too, and it'll just be a fantasy score fest. But they're putting up thirty five on that Cardinals team. They do not have much all right here, here's other things the Chiefs did. They so they traded for Peyton Hendershot. He's like their fourth tight end. They cut Kadarius Tony, and then Carson Steele, the running back, makes the team. They only keep I think four running backs and he's a fullback running back. You are you into Carson Steele in like the deepest league possible.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to see how it plays out over the next couple of days and if they add another running back. Yeah, Carson Steele showed a lot in the preseason. You know, he kind of gives me vibes of is Peyton hillis the old Brown's running back who was actually on a Madden cover one year. Carson Steele ran four seven to seven coming out of college. You do not see running backs that run that slow make it in the NFL. But I mean, you know, he couldn't have done more in the preseason to earn this roster spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Andy Reid loves him. They love having fallback. Speaking of there's only a few left in the league. The Cowboys kept one too. They have a rookie fallback, Hunter Lipke. Now that would be a very deep league if you drafted Hunter Lipkey, although I think he's going to be on the field the sneaking out. They also kept douce Vaughn, the diminutive sun of their running backs coach in Dallas or their position coach in Dallas. They kept Ryan Flourney. I thought that was interesting, a rookie receiver. They kept Andrew Booth, who they just traded for and got cooked by East and Stick the other day. So that's not a good sign for their cornerbacks. And they might sign Dalvin Cook, Like what are you doing with this Cowboys backfield? Like Lipkey's gonna be in the mix. You got Dowdell, you got Zeke. I don't know if Dalvin Cook's gonna sign because at this point it's been twenty four hours since that report came out and he hasn't signed yet. I don't know. I'm just fading all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I generally am as well. I'll take Rico Dowdell late if you know, if he's there, and you know, I need a running back or something. But I'm not. There's nothing to be excited about that. The Cowboys roster is so thin, man.
Speaker 1: They really are.
Speaker 2: They They're so thin. It's kind of like, I feel like this could be a season where just the bottom falls out on him, like they lose like seeding LAMB for an extending period or I mean, you know, let alone Dak Although their backup quarterback situation isn't terrible, Cooper Rush like has been solid in past opportunities, but I just feel like they're hanging by a thread if you're relying on rookies to start it on the offensive line, just I don't know, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: They also cut Karl Lawson, who I mentioned. They kept signing all these veterans in the last week or two. Most of them stuck. Karl Lawson, who used to be a great pass rusher for the Bengals but just never was the same after injuries was cut by the Cowboys. It's a weird team. By the way, Ceedee Lamb's not even on their active roster. They have a commissioners they are not a commissioner's exempt, but he's on an exemplest for now before he gets fully back into it, so they're kind of using a roster spot that way. The Vikings are not using a roster spot on their first round pick from just a couple of years ago. Lewis Seen did not make this team. I mentioned Andrew Booth got traded by the Vikings, so that means quessi adopha mensa who's done a good job otherwise says it g That means his first two draft picks, first and second round picks are no longer on the team. It was only two years ago. They also cut Kenny Nuangu, which I was really surprised about, one of the better return guys in the league. I actually think he will be a guy that gets claimed on waivers. Nikhil Harry did not make this team. Any thoughts on the Vikings on lewis Seen what's going on there. I kind of like their backfield, even though it's only I think it's only two players right now. They might add a running back. They only have two running backs right now.
Speaker 2: Well, when we were talking about this a little bit before the show, but when they drafted Andrew Booth and Lewis seen in that first QUESSI draft, like, they probably thought, man, this is we have the making, you know, this is the foundation of our secondary for the next at least four years. And they really got nothing out of either of those guys, even like from a positional draft standpoint, like, yeah, dude, taking taking DB's high makes sense. Those guys were both very highly touted. Booth a lot of people thought he would be a first round pick that that year. Just a complete disappointment. Quest he has struggled in the draft. I mean, let's let's be real. Quest he has and I still kind of believe in him, but he struggled in the draft. The release of Kenny nuang Wu is interesting for ty Chandler as a late round fantasy sleeper. I actually really like Aaron Jones in the middle rounds for whatever reason, people don't want to draft him. I like him getting a decent amount of him, and then ty Chandler late as a guy that hey, you know, if Aaron Jones has durability issues, which he has had a decent amount in the past, ty Chandler becomes, you know, explosive second option that you could get for really cheap in fantasy.
Speaker 1: I like both of those guys. You know, I would handcuff and we're still using handcuff as Alex you know in the Fantasy lexicon. Sometimes Levaton on your podcast, and one thing I like about it is you guys just you guys get to it. You get through it so fast. But sometimes Levaton Levitan uses uh words I don't even know anymore. Although I caused everyone dust everyone. It always delights me when I'm just like hoping to never be dust in my career. Yeah, all right, let's go to the Panthers. They put Jonathan Brooks that this is some fantasy impact here on the pu P list. Also dj Wanham, who's an edge rusher. They just have no one at the edge, and yeah, I guess it's Tuber Hubard in the backfield and Jonathan Brooks is someone Yeah you can stash in fantasy, but he might not be really all the way back till pretty late in the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've got him, see I have to right after we did the show. I'm gonna I'm I'm gonna make a bunch of changes. All the changes are like from player eighty five overall to like one fifty overall. You know, but but I mean those mid round and late round picks matter. I have Jonathan Brooks like right around number ninety and he needs to go into like the one twenties or something like that. I'll figure that out. But you know, there wasn't It seemed like there was a chance to give you back by week three or week four. But right now, I mean he's definitely out through week won't be eligible to come back until week five, and then who knows he's even going to get that full time role. The Panthers could be going four by then. I mean, I don't think they're going to be any good. And you know, how would they be incentivized to give the ball to Jonathan Brooks a lot?
Speaker 1: Right? I liked how he played in college, but they're all about twenty twenty five and they're not gonna want it.
Speaker 2: It seems like he's behind schedule. When they drafted him, they were saying that he would be ready for training camp.
Speaker 1: This happens a lot though. That's the thing with OBJ and a lot of times you know, everything's optimistic and then you get to cut down there, you get the training camp and these guys aren't ready, but it makes sense to be careful with him. The Broncos tried to trade Tim Patrick and Samaj p Ryan, but no one wanted them, so they just cut them. They also cut little Jordan Humphrey. They did keep all three of their quarterbacks. Samaj p Ryan is a guy that could land elsewhere. The Eagles cut Paris Campbell, who initially was going to be their third receiver, but then they trade for Johan Dottson. They kept James Bradberry, who converted to safety. He's getting paid twenty million dollars to be like their fifth safety, but it's guaranteed money, and they just figure like, well, why not keep him. He's a good guy. The Browns are keeping all four quarterbacks, so this is one to watch. I think over the next few days. They cut down to foreman at running backs, so they're very thin at running back right now. What do you see about the Browns backfield? And I can't imagine they're going to keep Tyler Huntley and Dorian Thompson Robinson and Jameis Winston. But it was a little interesting. There were reports that came out that's saying they're looking to trade Huntley or Winston, that they're going to keep dtr and that maybe even Winston's available. So that's just something to watch the next couple of days. Are you buying Jerome Ford now because they only have two running backs on the roster right now?
Speaker 2: I am I've kind of always been buying Jerome Ford. But you know, today, like after they cut Jontay Foreman, a bunch of people were saying, like, well, he could definitely be back. He just gives him an element that Jerome Ford and Pierre Strong do not, and that he's like a big back who can run with power, who has like legitimate production on his resume in the NFL. So I think there's a possibility that he could come back. The Brown's better not trade Jamis Winston because he's going to be their starter at some point this year. If anything happens to Deshaun Watson, which Deshaun Watson has already struggled with, you know, some with soreness in his throwing arm or whatever, I would be terrified. I do wonder that because Jameis Winston is such like he can be a galvanizing presence. You know, you see the the pregame stuff that he leads. I mean he's the backup quarterback. He's leading the pregame stuff. Do they think that, oh, well, he you know, he might be encroaching on Deshaun Watson. You know, do we need to get rid of them? Yes, because like like the team could like start to rally around, like you remember when like no one would sign Cam Newton even to be their backup because he can he has this this charisma and presence Like if something is going wrong with the you know, mediocre starter, like the team is going to turn to Cam.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I think that could be a factor. I don't think Derek Carr totally loved all the love that mus Winston was getting in New Orleans. I don't think they brought they even considered bringing back Joe Flacco because because at about the locker room, the city, let's love Joe Flacco so much that you like, couldn't have them around it. It's a whole thing. And Tyler Huntley look good enough in the preseason that maybe they'd be willing to. I don't know. Let's take a quick break. We have a few more items to get through, uh with Evan, I'm looking forward to that, and then I'm gonna have Ian rappaport on to wrap up this news based show. We're a news show sometimes news back on NFL Daily. I mean, this is this is all protein on this one? What is that? Is that? What's the all protein diet? And now I'm now I'm blanking keto. Yeah, this is this is the Keto of shows. It's just like all protein, no filler, no pasta, no, not even any fruit. We're just getting to the cuts and letting you know which ones matter so you're smarter than the people around you. Forty nine ers had some interesting ones. Elijah Mitchell's out for the season immediately that that has fantasy implications. Their backup is who Jordan Mason? Who is their back?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, And Christian McCaffrey right now is dealing with a calf strain. Now we have we have a pretty high level of confidence that he's going to be all right. But it's something to keep in mind. I mean, running backs get hurt in the NFL, especially when they're utilized as workhorses, like Christian McCaffrey has been in San Francisco and will continue to be. But Jordan Mason, by all accounts like he used to have like a sort of contentious relationship with Bobby Turner the Broncos or the Broncos used to be the Broncos Rby's coach, forty nine ers RB's coach, and now Bobby Turner has been like praising him, and he's like locked in as the number two right now, especially with Eli Mitchell out for the season. Eli so open training camp as like a draftable guy obviously, I mean he's done.
Speaker 1: I like that Jordan Mason pick because I guess the history of Christian McCaffrey. I know he's been healthy the last few years, but softissue injury in August, all the workload he had last year, just from a fantasy perspective freaks me out a little bit. Also, it's a team that September through November only matters so much. They can be careful with Christian McCaffrey. This is a team that's worrying about December and especially January and hopefully February for them. With that in mind, some big players not active on the team right now. Hufunga goes to the pup. Their safety Brandon Ayuk is on the roster. I expect that thing to happen. Trent Williams is not because he's on the reserve list right now, and they'll longer this goes. The more I'm wondering if he actually does miss a game or two. And then Dre Greenlaw is on the pup list. So a lot of talent there. The Texans actually cut a lot of players I recognize, which is always a good sign. It's like, oh, your roster's so good that they were able to cut Noah Brown, decent player, Desmond King, CJ Henderson, case Keenan went to IR. We talked about him with Nick Shook the other day. He's not healthy, so he's on IR. Tim Boyle was cut. Kristin Harris goes to IR return their starting linebacker Cam Akers made this team like that, Damian Pierce made this team. John Metchi made this team. Is a fun team. Like who's your kind of favorite value type guy from the Texans.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love all the starters on the Texans, and it's hard to sift through their backups. There was at one point in time where I wanted, really wanted to like Damian Pierce, but he was atrocious all preseason. I actually wonder if they're holding onto him to try to get a seventh round pick from him or something for him. Cam Akers looked great in the preseason. Yeah, he really really good, and I wonder if he might end up being the number two back for Houston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something to watch week one between those two guys. And yeah, I think one of these wide receivers could get traded still at some point. Noah Brown, there was some question whether one hundred percent, but he's going to be on a roster somewhere just because he's better than He's not great, he's a journeyman, but he's better than half the Steelers wide receivers that they have rostered. The Falcons kept Taylor Heineke thought that was interesting. In one of the teams keeping three quarterbacks and no trade there, the Lions did not keep three. They cut Nate Sudfeld. Hendon Hooker is their number two. That could be a situation where Sudfeld goes to the practice squad and becomes the backup. We'll see. They cut Donovan People's Jones. They only have fifty two players on the roster, which is weird, and so I do wonder if they're going to add a receiver. They feel like a team that needs to add a receiver. An undrafted free agent named Isaiah Williams made the team and he is right now wide receiver four for the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wonder if Tim Patrick might end up there. I mean as like, you know, a big, physical receiver who can very least block and give him something in the possession game. I love Jamison Williams. They have really cleared the deck. Yeah, Jamison Williams like he like essentially has faced no competition the number two receiver. Well, I do think that's a little risky. I think they add a veteran at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be interesting. The Saints cut our guy, the Irish kicker, Charlie Smith. You know, they tried to not play him at all in the preseason so no one would take them. But then he hit a sixty five yarder at my Alma Mata Yuelman Stadium from at TWU Lane in an open practice that they were taping, and everyone's like, what, who's this Irish kid that just booted a sixty five yarder, but they cut him anyway, so I doubt another team will claim him, but he'll be on their practice squad if not, and maybe replace Blake Groupee. By the way, I know we have a lot of international listeners, and I think sometimes the international media and maybe the listeners too, like they freak out when these guys get cut, like Lewis rees Zama in Kansasity. It's all part of the process, and you get a free roster spot if you're part of this ipp So it happens. It takes years to develop sometimes before they make their mark, so it's all part of the process. Kendrey Miller went to injured reserve. One thing I was going to say about this team, if you have any comment, just four undrafted free agents make the team, And like, this is what happens when you never have any draft picks and you don't develop any good players with the picks that you have. They're just like so thin at so many positions. They're just counting on undrafted guys to come in and make an impact.
Speaker 2: Well, you remember they had that one sick draft. I think it was only like a five man draft, and it like saved a franchise.
Speaker 1: It was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, yeah, but they haven't drafted anything like that. You know, over the course of time, the draft is kind of like a crap shoot. I mean, that's kind of been determined. So when they crushed that one draft that wasn't necessarily everyone's like, Oh, Jeff Ireland's going to get a GM job again at some point, and then like they can't draft for the next five years straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marshall Lattimore was part of that draft. He is on the roster. I yep, don't know what's up to believe in practice all camp. Yeah, I don't know what's up with him. I do believe you can draft and develop well at certain positions with continuity on the coaching staff. Like some teams are better at certain positions. I would say the Saints are excellent at identifying and developing cornerbacks as much as Dennis Allen, you know, I make fun of him, like that's that's what he does well, and they're great at that and they've done it repeatedly. After that, I don't really know what's going on. They cut Equanymia Saint Brown. Dennis Allen said he won't announce who the backup quarterback is which is just stupid that he just wants to continue the competition. I mean, you're gonna have to announce it once Week one gets here, So just just what are we doing here? Jordan Mims made the team as a running back. He could be, you know, a fantasy pick up during the year. Wouldn't be surprised flying through the rest of these because you know, not big headlines here, Evan, But just if you have any thoughts jump in. The Pats cut Chad Ryland, who was their fourth round pick. They traded up for him with Bill Belichick's last draft last year. Bailey Zappie's gone. But Joe Milton made the team and Joey Sly made the team. How about that?
Speaker 2: Well, Joe Milton is a developmental guy worth hanging on two and the Patriots are very much in sconstin a rebuild, so.
Speaker 1: They look he looked pretty good in the preseason. Kishon Booty made the team, which I was interested to see because he played well. And so they're keeping a ton of receivers and just see new sticks, all right. Only two quarterbacks from the twenty twenty four draft are currently on an active roster of the team that drafted them only two in their entire class. This is only you know and a two years and three months later. I'm saying that now because Bailey Zappi was cut, although he'll probably end up on the practice squad. But right now, can you name who those two players are? What draft twenty twenty two only two years ago? One of them?
Speaker 2: The only first rounder was Kenny Pickett. Yeah, then another quarterback didn't go to the third round.
Speaker 1: I think Malik Willis was one of the third rounders, Yes, mister irrelevant. Of course, Brack Purty is in that class, and you know is now a plus quarterback. And then Skyler Thompson is the only other one. It was actually the last two quarterbacks drafted two seven red picks, so it is a crap shoot. Sometimes. The Bills made their moves today. They cut Frank or Junior. I was disappointed to see that, no surprise, but he had a nice preseason, so he might end up having an NFL career, which would be cool. They cut Kareem Jackson, Lyle Collins, some some veterans, Tyrrel Shavers, who was a young receiver I was keeping an eye on. I just want to give you the names of the Steelers wide receivers Evan before we let you go that didn't make the team, that did make the team. Rather, this is their group. George Pickens okay, and then wide receiver two through five Van Jefferson, Roman Wilson who hasn't been healthy all camp, Calvin Austin, Scottie Miller. Is that the worst? That's worse than the Patriots. I know they have George Pickens, so maybe that makes it better. But wide receiver two plot on, that's.
Speaker 2: Layable individual play like playable individuals. You know, the Patriots have a better receiver court. I think the Steelers having George Pickens puts him over the top. But you know, maybe may maybe Jalen Polk can become eighty five percent of George Pickens.
Speaker 1: I just mean like wide receiver two on that. Yeah, that's the worst group in the league. I would say, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know if it's gonna matter the way that Arthur Smith calls offense.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's a fair point. Who is the wide receiver too?
Speaker 2: And land they're going to be playing a lot of Darnell Washington this year.
Speaker 1: It looks like I wouldn't be surprised they'll play like three tight ends. All right, Let's let's wrap it up with the Cardinals cutting Desmond Ritter, who they traded Rondell Moore for, who's a Week one starter at quarterback last year. Now he didn't even make the Cardinals. They also caught Michael Carter at running back, who's had some moments. The Jags cut a bunch of veterans that you might know, Trey Flowers, Adrian Amos, Terrell Edmonds, Jerry Rice's son. Made the Chargers like what do you make of this Chargers receiver group?
Speaker 2: Well, again, it's a team that just is going to run the piss out of the ball. And you know, it's like, what what receiver receivers can block the best on the field.
Speaker 1: I think that and that might not we'll see on lad McConkey, but seeing him in person, like as you know as NFL players go, just he's gonna struggle crashing down on those outside linebackers sometimes just you know, not a not a heavy guy. The Chargers also kept Tony Jefferson, who had that big preseason finale wrapping up with the Bears. You know what struck me with the Bears cuts was like hard Knocks has done such a bad job getting me invested in these teams this year. I just feel like it's been like a music video of watching preseason games this year that usually when there's cuts, I'm like, oh, that guy from Hard Knocks gets cut, and I've watched them all and this year I'm just I'm not I'm not invested. I know it's not your team, but you do live in Chicago, Silva. Where are you at with the Bears with Hard Knocks, with their offense, anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have a lot of thoughts on the Bears. They have like the easiest first half of the schedule in the entire league. I think they're going to come out of the gates five and two, six and one, something like that, and the city is just gonna go absolutely insane, to the point where like I'm gonna stop liking the Bears at all and rooting against them because they could just get so annoying. But I think they're gonna be good. I mean, I think they're gonna win ten games this year. There They're win total at on sportsbooks is eight and a half. I think that nine is a is a slam dunk. I think they're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Good having Silva on for this day. The meat and potatoes, the Keto diet of days was a great decision. It was a slam dunk. I loved it. Silva one of the few men I know who truly doesn't root for a team, unless you're hiding it from me. It's just he's just a black hearted individual who's just all about the fantasy value and making that money for you. So yeah, if you if you want some help doing that in your fantasy league'es go over to establish the run. Thanks Silva, appreciate you, Thank you. See man, all right, we're going to wrap up NFL Daily. It's late August day, my brother Dean rosenthal fiftieth birthday. By the way, he would never listen to a football program. He just doesn't care. But you know who does care a lot about roster cuts. It's Ian Rapaport, fresh off a post roster cuts workout and dressed down for the occasion. If you're watching on YouTube just to just to see what a post workout Ian looks like, you should like and subscribe on YouTube to the show. Thank you Ian, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of the great pleasures of my job is when a deadline happens, we do some TV and then I get a workout in and I know my phone's not gonna buzz like it's been buzzing for the last seventy two hours. So very nice and very cathartic.
Speaker 1: Really, because I feel like it's still could buds.
Speaker 3: First of all, No, there'll be some things, but it's not like the flurry of like who do you hear is getting traded? Is this guy available? Like, yeah, the team's interested in this guy. Like that. Stuff is basically NonStop for the whole week, so that you know there will still be some trades the next couple days, but that mostly ends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about a pox on the teams? As we record, they still haven't even put their cuts out, which is there's like four or five of them still out there. Very annoying, but we know that the moves haven't finished for the day. Anything that surprised you today, Ian with all these cuts.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know that there's ever that many things that are surprising on cutdown day. You know, teams have been so much more proactive when it comes to trades, Like I remember it was like six years ago or something Gideveon Clowney got traded on cutdown Day from I think it was the Texans to the Seahawks. That would never happen now, that would be that would be at the start of training camp. The Judon trade years past would have been cut down day. Now, It's like teams are way more proactive. They do things earlier, and I think there's more real, honest conversations happening earlier. So you know, we got a couple trades. I mean, we got an Ernest Jones trade, we got a Malik Willis trade yesterday. I mean, we've got some stuff. But I don't know that it's anything's that surprising. I think Cadarius Tony getting cut.
Speaker 1: How about OLBJ. I saw the way you put it out and I'm not pushing on the insiders here, but you said like this was always a possibility when when they first signed OBJ. And I don't know, I heard a lot of optimism this offseason from OBJ. And maybe it's more from like the fans and some of the reporters, but it was it felt like to me this whole time, when he's not on the field, Oh, he'll be fine, He'll be fine. It's no big deal. Ob they really seemed like they were carving out a big spot for him on this team. I think it's pretty disappointing that he's not going to be ready for the season.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would say, first of all, you know the way I put it out when when something like that happens, Like I do that intentionally right, like I like to. You know, there'll be times when I'll add context to a tweet and I will not get it out fast enough and someone will beat me. And I've done this for thirteen years and I am okay with that. I really am like the OBJ thing. I knew somebody might beat me on it, but I'm like, I would like to put it out in the most context full way possible. So like sources Beckham out the first four games, like that's pretty splashy. But the reality is he had a procedure surgery. I never got the sense it was particularly close. I got the central offense didn't really want to talk about it, and so I think that's why it was sort of sort of shrouded in secrecy. Because look, when a guy hasn't practiced all camp, they almost always start on pup, especially when he's not been with the team. I would also say some realism of where Odell is in his career definitely helps. Like he's not you know, Odell joining the Browns, which was like the world shook when that trade happened, Like it's different now, he's a complementary piece to an offense that's already very, very good. So I think he'll play. I think he'll contribute. I think it'll be helpful. There'll be some moments, but it's not prime Odell. It's kind of what it is at this point.
Speaker 1: I do like that we get Ian Rappaport part analyst here, not just the NFL insider. Your your boss, t'sy told me to point that out, that you're here as a role of providing some analysis, not just the hard news. Give me some analysis on the forty nine ers. So Brandon Nayuk is on the roster, no surprise, seems like that's just a matter of time. And yet still nothing and then uh Williams is not on the roster. What is your what is your level of like do you believe that Trent Williams will play Week one for the forty nine ers at this point?
Speaker 3: Hold on, Brandon Ayuk has to be on the roster, like there's no I know there was not, Like I know we were talking, like you know, conversations on insiders all the time about like you know, you know, is he going to hold out? He can hold out when you there are benefits to holding in in other words, you don't get fined. That's good generally, But the opposite thing is like you have to play. So if Brandon Ayuk doesn't have a deal, if he doesn't have something that he likes, he's contractually obligated to play unless he's going to like fake an injury. In that case, the forty nine ers can start finding like he has to play. Whereas Trent Williams is getting fined, is holding out but he cannot play. That's his progat and he'll get fined, but he can still not play. So it's a different situation. I would say this about Trent Williams, and I am in I think it's possible it gets done. I don't know for sure that it is.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: I wish I know they have been talking. He is a different dude. And if you were to say to me, is there any player who would simply say, yeah, I'm just not playing without a new deal like he would be it. He does not like he is. He sat out half the year with the you know team now known as the Commanders because he didn't like the way they treated his medical situation. Like he is a different dude, So absent a new deal, Like yeah, I don't think we're going to see him for a bit.
Speaker 1: That was that was a pro move from you. There almost said said it, but you didn't say it.
Speaker 3: That's why I haven't said it on air since they made the change.
Speaker 1: That's why you've lasted so long. You've outlasted I know. I remember when you were at the Boston Harold and you're coming up to me. You and bre are both, hey, there any stuff available at Pro Football Talk and stuff? And now now look at you, you've outlasted them.
Speaker 3: All that seems fake.
Speaker 1: The dead the dead bodies of insiders that you've left in your wake. I love it. What else do I want to get to today? Do you have anything on like the russ I know it has nothing to do with what happened today, but just the russ Fields thing and kind of the belief maybe in that building of Russell Wilson and maybe how that that situation plays out because here's what I would just point out. It's going to be a tough situation for either quarterback. I don't love that offensive line. I don't really love the wide receivers, and I just think that what do you think the feeling of the building is there?
Speaker 3: Well, here, nobody cares about the offensive line. But let me just say this first, I think we see week one is not going to be what we're going to see week like eight. I think they they are talented, they're probably gonna not probably, they're gonna start two rookies. I think they are going to get better. So yes, it's important. It's sort of like the Cowboys, Like I could see the Cowboys struggling in the offensive line week one and everyone will lose their brains. But they are young and talented, like they're gonna get better, and no one cares about the offensive whatever. I don't think it's a tough situation for Justin Fields. I don't. I think he got traded to a place that is good for him, best place he could have got traded for. He has played well in the preseason practices, he's played okay in preseason games, and he is the guy who would sort of theoretically come in for the upset, and he is very talented and I know has made a really positive impression in the building, just as far as how smart he is, work ethic, how engaged he is. Like you know, the thought of Arthur Smith kind of making him his Tannehill but more talented, Like that's pretty real, Like that would be pretty good go for us. And look, he's made so much money and had a lot of success and so like, no one feels sorry for no one cares. But he was sort of annoying.
Speaker 1: Saying no one cares. I mean, people care, people care about some people care about the nobody.
Speaker 3: So sorry for Russell Wills. Yeah, but it is tough because he was sort of anointed as the would be starter. He had a calf injury, he watched fields play well, he's played again, okay, And the fact that he hasn't sees the job now yet is not like a great great sign. So we'll see what happens. Are still a really tough decision, but I don't think it's as easy now as maybe it sort of should have been if you had asked everyone on like July twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I'm using my rap sheet translator there and picking up some vibes what you're putting down last one just quickly. This could be a yes or no if you want. But there's been no reporting on it, Which is is there any chance Marsha and Lattimore like I did? That seems so quiet and such a situation that I don't understand. He hasn't been on the field at all. I guess he's been hurt, but is there anything going on there that he could get delt or something could happen.
Speaker 3: I don't believe he's going to get dealt I believe so. Look, it's an odd situation. I believe he and Dennis Allen had a really good talk before camp. I thought he was going to get traded this offseason. He did not. He is an awesome player when he's on the field, awesome, like really really really good. So if he goes out and plays great, then I think there are no issues. If he goes out and plays great and the team is really struggling, then I'm sure we're going to be talking about him with the trade deadline again. But I don't get the sense that there's an injury now that's going to keep him off the field. I think it's more of he is very specific with his body and his preparation. I think it's more of the team being like, get ready, do your thing. See week one. I think it was handled well. You know, these things can go different ways, Like you know, would the Saint should be better off with a third rounder or marsh On Latimer. I would probably marsh On Latimore because he's very, very good. I just sort of hope it stays that way.
Speaker 1: I like it. Again, I used my rap sheet translator that that was a good nugget. I'm glad I asked. You gave me something that you know. Normally I might text you and who knows if you'd tell me. But I'm picking up what you're putting down the vibes. We're gonna have you in hopefully part of the show here and there throughout the course of the season. I'm looking forward to that possible. Yeah, I mean anything is possible until next time. Yeah, football is back. We're excited about it. We're back doing an AFC preview with Nick Right, that's gonna be a fun one on our next show. See you next time.