Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off inside. We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared? Or was it fine? Malborn?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do your need need to ride?
Speaker 3: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgareth.
Speaker 3: Noon improved?
Speaker 1: Oh did you hear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just I'm saying that we have Actually we're the same.
Speaker 1: We're almost exactly the same as the last recording.
Speaker 3: We've gotten better over time. It's not a sudden improved.
Speaker 4: Since ninety one. I'm so much better.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we've I've indulged in retail therapy.
Speaker 1: It's a lot since the nineties.
Speaker 3: Since there. I am reminded of how angry I was. It wasn't lax. It was that I didn't I wasn't yet buying pants. I wasn't sure about right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does help for the overall frustration of life.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you can just get your hands on a new item, that's really all. And it doesn't need to be high end, it doesn't need to be expensive. Just speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true, And that's what I've been doing for myself self care, making this podcast better than it used to be gradually over time.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna be an all at once thing, so quit demanding that from us, listener.
Speaker 3: We don't want the improvement to be jarring. Oh god, no, like is this even the same show?
Speaker 1: Please think about your lower lumbar region.
Speaker 4: Exactly for the jarring.
Speaker 3: That reminds me years ago, someone said they were a pelvic floor specialist. One of the listeners out there.
Speaker 4: They were flirting with you.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was purely clinical, okay, and and I do want my pelvic floor to be massaged just.
Speaker 1: As Sorry, real quick, this is private. I don't think you should be doing it about this.
Speaker 3: You brought up the torso or I can't, but I need I need it. Apparently that's another way to improve yourself someone else's elbow grinding into your groin. Again, this was not a sexual it was a clinic.
Speaker 1: So you claim if you're out there.
Speaker 3: Pelvic floor specialist that lives in Los Angeles. I'm still interested years later. I think this was pre hip surgery. But I need some knots. I need some things done.
Speaker 4: And how have you figured out it's your pelvic floor that needs the help?
Speaker 3: Well, uh, I haven't, but it's worth a shot.
Speaker 4: Got you?
Speaker 1: You're just kind of grabbing at whatever might be the reason you got me. Got you.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I think that that's what I need, So hit me up wherever it was, because that's the one thing you get these these nice messages. You can't search keywords. I've typed pelvic floor and all of my social media is and nothing's come up.
Speaker 4: But the government has been watched.
Speaker 3: It has changed my algorithm. I've noticed all the videos that I do watch of massages and adjustments, which is that some people are into pimple popping. I am not very much, not no, very same, but I am into people being adjusted. And I noticed a lot of the cracking noises they're being added in posts. I'm sure because I've done some of the moves. You put your leg against the wall, you turn your arms over to the doorframe, and I don't hear the cooker crook. Yeah, yeah, I'm afraid that that's fake. Yeah, very much false advertising.
Speaker 1: I feel like this person, this classic.
Speaker 3: Nevada driving, What a fool they were just there wasn't even a driveway there.
Speaker 1: No, that was a person listener who was basically trying to make a left hand turn in the middle of Laurel Canyon with traffic everywhere, just because they changed their mind. They don't want to they don't want to go down the street anymore, so they just took a left.
Speaker 3: You addressed, you addressed our audience as listener. You said that was a person Comma listener, and I thought you were accusing that person of being a person listener. That was a person listener.
Speaker 1: One of our great listeners taking a left that we now have to ostracize from the group.
Speaker 3: Do not take our traffic advice. Just because we record well in it doesn't mean we know it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: And also, who cares about LA traffic? I always feel so terrible to the person in Canton, Ohio that's listening right now, and it's just like, we'd love for you to bitch more about LA traffic.
Speaker 3: That'd be great. Because of the nature of our in our the theme of our podcast. People have said they like when we're talking about roads really and cars and stuff. Whoa, people are interested in that. Yeah, you almost put pulled the person lessener into it into it. On Colligeon, we are going on the historic a what do you call this? I'm bad with history. Laurel Laurel can a Laurel the popular doo comedy duo Laurel and Tardian. Laurel Canyon is really the only way to get through a mountain range yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Crosby Stills in Nash and Young and Joni Mitchell and they all used to live there in the seventies. I think the Eagles, some of the Eagles, they all lived there and wrote songs together, and so that's kind of a fun really. Yeah, I think I can point out the house that many of them stayed in because it was in a documentary.
Speaker 4: It's kind of by the store.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I do now vaguely know. And it's not the house that all the comedians used to live in.
Speaker 1: No, that's you mean Dave russold house.
Speaker 3: Is that? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: He lived in a house off of Laurel Canyon with Todd Glass him Alan Murray. So maybe somebody else I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, that would be a funny house. Dave Wrath is a funny.
Speaker 1: He was hilarious. He was the funniest manager. He's so funny.
Speaker 3: You know. He is my manager for a little while when I moved here.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was kind of a great starter manager.
Speaker 1: Right now, he's like taken all of his starters that you know, got stuff, and then built it into his own beautiful management company.
Speaker 3: Just like I've done with my career. Yep, I'm still kind of in a starter stage. But you know me, I'm a big fan of slowly improving.
Speaker 1: You're, like you said, you once you get your pelvic floor together, Chris, this whole thing is going to take off.
Speaker 3: I don't want my success to fuck up other people's backs.
Speaker 1: You do understand that the pelvic floor isn't necessarily back related.
Speaker 3: No, but it is. There's all kinds of thing, even even you know the health of the organs that reside within that area. There's a lot that can be done. Okay, very excited. Okay for the specialists to reach out, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know about getting doctors over the internet or through podcasting.
Speaker 4: I'm just putting that out there.
Speaker 3: Well, how else? I mean, I through my insurance, I go to the list of doctors and I read yelp reviews. Is that better?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's way better.
Speaker 3: I suppose it is.
Speaker 4: We at least they're in your area, they're in your town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless at.
Speaker 1: That tattoo shop coffee shop. There's somebody that can take care of your pelvic floor, right. They seem to have it all at.
Speaker 3: Super Sweet Coffee in tats Hey Two's. Yeah, someone someone local. Please, I can't fly anywhere for my pelvis. No, no, got time. I'm very uh, I'm very excited about this year. I think we're really both going to turn things around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, me too. Every say every year I say it's going to be the year. This year, I actually honestly feel it.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of years that Trump ruined. I think I really stood in the way of everybody's growth, sure and personal security.
Speaker 3: Yes, so just keep out of mind right now. It's up to us. There's no one else to blame. No, No, is that the house that Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young resided in.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know anymore. I had so much confidence when we were on the other side of the hill.
Speaker 3: You were thinking, am all hole and drive? Aren't you the movie? Yes?
Speaker 1: I think I was thinking of it's down here and it's past. We didn't pass the story yet, did we?
Speaker 3: Oh that little that little with a restaurant that I like so much?
Speaker 1: Yes, Pache.
Speaker 3: Until I'm there, there's a lot of things that look cozy when you drive by, and then once you're there, it's like, well, I'm just in a building, right, It doesn't matter that it's surrounded by trees. There's not enough windows to appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Pacha is different, is it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought that's what you're saying. I was trying to underline your point right exactly.
Speaker 3: No, I did I understand how you were trying to reinforce. Yes, and now I thank you.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. There's a there's layers and there's levels to this podcast that I feel like other podcasters only try to reach right that we achieve.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Are you tired of them just scratching the surface. Yeah, let's not. Let's not us.
Speaker 1: I think it's back there right here. It is, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: No, it is it's very cozy looking. I'll like it. I want to go to that country store.
Speaker 4: Yeah, country store.
Speaker 1: But the Pache place is like I think that because it's been there for a long time. I think they've done nice things. But I think the house I'm talking about that was in that documentary is like on that street behind.
Speaker 3: It, it is a it is a cool street. Although it's it's good that, Uh. I like that I live somewhere that passerbys don't admire it from a walkable distance.
Speaker 4: You mean, so that things don't get all clogged up.
Speaker 3: Or intruders, visitors unwelcomed to visitors. Yeah, where I live now, no one, no one can find it. It's on a tip top of a mountain and no one will know. Yeah, and I have I have this house protected by Smith and Wesson with Calvin and Hobbs peing on.
Speaker 4: It sticker n yeah in your own home.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, well yeah, it's a little I don't know why they're paying on the logo that's supposed to be protecting me, but people get the confused message.
Speaker 4: Also, Hobbs doesn't pee, It's just Calvin, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hobbs. Did you know Hobbs doesn't exist?
Speaker 1: He's just stay. Yeah, did you know Calvin isn't a coma?
Speaker 3: Calvin isn't it what he's in a cooma? I just made that the whole comic strip's life. Calvin is a man, a grown man late, and it's yours that's in a coma. I'm dreaming about a tiger friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just like, this wasn't even my childhood, but it would have been nice if it was.
Speaker 4: And then he's just like having a nice coma dream.
Speaker 3: I like to think that that's what it really was.
Speaker 1: That I could have gotten that from some online fear here or something, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I thought you just got it off the top of your head right now, Seriously.
Speaker 1: No, everything from my head is also from the internet these days. Yep, yep, Sorry, sorry about that. Whoever made it first?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I all apologize ahead of time. I don't even know that there's such thing as a pelvic floor specialist.
Speaker 4: The whole thing could be made of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a series of words that I like the sound of coming out of my mouth. But that's not therapy at all.
Speaker 1: I actually got into I liken the pelvic floor concerns with the foam roller journey I tried to take because suddenly I had been convinced that I had to get foam rollers so my fascia would be broken up and taken care of.
Speaker 3: And uh they put in the ads. Did they put fake back cracks?
Speaker 1: No, it was more of like that. We finally figured out how you can solve your problems. And I will fall for that one every time. Right, it's a new way. It's like your fashion, it's not your muscles.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah. Yeah, and uh so I bought the whole foam roller set. And the good news is that one of the things was this weird small.
Speaker 1: Rubber ball, right, and Blossom uses it NonStop. She's she's bitten a large hole into the ball and it's still ball shaped.
Speaker 3: It's a very hard ball. Yeah, yeah, I lay on one. I still do it where you put it on the ground. I just leave it in that uh the fasci fasciat plash. I don't know what it's called. That little area in the front of your hip. There's like a tendon that goes through there and you gotta roll the ball under it.
Speaker 1: I really want to say something gross and dirty, but I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 3: I love it when you do that. It's it's you don't usually say it dirty, say some dirty.
Speaker 1: Are you referring to the comcutters.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: See, it doesn't feel right when I do it. It's what I stand against it. It's easy, it's dumb.
Speaker 3: No, I love it.
Speaker 1: It's gross. Also, the worst name of anything, I think is that term.
Speaker 3: Say it again, because you know, well you were laughing. I don't think a lot of people got it.
Speaker 4: Don't have the guts to be to work blue as a comedian.
Speaker 3: I think you said come gutters.
Speaker 1: I did. Okay, okay, but god, what if my dad? What if my dad suddenly starts listening to my podcasts after.
Speaker 3: All these years, I think you're safe. Oh but yeah, it's it's uh maybe this whole time, I've just been rolling across my own ball. See how easily it comes for me.
Speaker 1: I knew you would get you would jump on this, and then suddenly it's balls this and come gutters.
Speaker 3: That stop inspiring me to be who I am.
Speaker 1: Hey, I have to say, I haven't been on this part of Sunset in a really long time. Listener, We're now on the famous Sunset strip right before the comedy store, and suddenly there's a large building and these led billboards like this looks like mini Times Square.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of a sudden, it's cool, and I don't even notice them when I go. We're right across from the comedy store where I sometimes go, and I never really look up. That's how I'm I'm just I don't fall victim to advertising. But as a passenger, I'm also always driving.
Speaker 4: And we all are focused on something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now I can really look around and look through your glass ceiling. Yeah, and see that Illumination has come out with a new migration movie. I'm sorry, can you look at that?
Speaker 1: Kobe Bryant, Oh that doesn't look no, no.
Speaker 3: It doesn't. It looks like Nick Cannon. I'm sorry, whoever painted that? Again? If you're just sitting there listening with Karen's dad, Oh sorry, this.
Speaker 4: Is going to be a very very upsetting episode for that group.
Speaker 3: But you know what I think sometimes happens a lot of these mural painters. They'll project the line art or the preliminary, the photo or whatever for a perspective onto the wall, and sometimes if they aren't aiming right at the wall, if it's a little down low, it'll add that squishy factor. Yeah, I think that that's what happened to. That is a bad projection causing squishy.
Speaker 1: Face, causing Kobe Bryant to be painted to look like a Damon William's character from a nineties movie. Yes, yeah, it very.
Speaker 3: Very much looked like someone just painted a skin disguise. Oh skin, Look at that beauty? Is that just a sign? Yeah, it's a beautiful sculpture.
Speaker 1: It's huge. What's happening.
Speaker 3: It's like we're visiting this town and we're Quakers.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: This is this We're so close to where I live, and I am looking around like I just got to town exactly.
Speaker 3: That is a building I've been in multiple times. It's where College Humor was located, and I've never noticed a grid of garden crawling up the side.
Speaker 4: I bet that's new, though, don't you think?
Speaker 3: I hope it is. I think I would have noticed that. It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: How about the old Tower Records is now a Supreme Store?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Same? For some reason that bumps me out.
Speaker 4: Same, but they had to do something with it.
Speaker 3: It is beautiful. I do want to go in there see if I can buy something for myself. Feel guilty and then buy something smaller for a loved one, for a loved.
Speaker 4: One that doesn't actually want it.
Speaker 1: It's alladays, you know how we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is rare that we are driving in Hollywood. This is exciting.
Speaker 1: Is it's great? This is where show business comes to die.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm positive we just walked by like a bass player and a guitar player for whoever's playing.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that we're at the Rainbow Room. Everyone within a quarter square mile is a bass player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just walking around killing time before their big show tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The funniest thing ever was when I saw Van Halen free tickets. Oh yeah, and David Lee Roth started telling stories about and they were like graphic sexual stories about things he would do in the tiny corridor alley walkway between the Rainbow Room and I think the Key Club, and everyone in the crowd was like kind of laughing at first, and then you could see them all wanting him to stop.
Speaker 1: Na.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of those is fine.
Speaker 3: But we were back there smoking cigarettes. I'll tell you that we were smoking something zebnu both and he wouldn't stop, And then he took off his shirt to reveal he had two tattooed racing stripes down his torso filled in with coyfish. No, yes, he looked pretty good. This was what year I would say, this was seven or eight years ago?
Speaker 4: Oh, very recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Could he still do some gymnastics?
Speaker 3: Liked, Yes, that's all I want. I knew his voice would be shot, but canny do the high kicks and he can. Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh? But was his voice still pretty cool though?
Speaker 3: I mean, you can tell it's his voice, but I kind of wanted to have him gargle some licorice extract one of.
Speaker 4: The great voices of rock.
Speaker 3: Ever. Yeah, yeah, he really was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's why I have a Van Halen jacket with an embroidered Dave on front that I don't ever wear. I just have it because I don't want to tell her. I don't want to get in a conversation about Van Halen, okay, because I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: And so you bought the jacket for what I had.
Speaker 3: It was a It was a sweat coat, a sweat jacket. Hey, what do you call a track sports coat? A track coat? Now? That's a a blaze a running blazer jacket, a track jacket that I stole from my at the time mom's boyfriend and then had because it was digitized and being embroidered for something else, had it done at my workplace in Austin.
Speaker 1: I didn't track that story of why you have that jacket.
Speaker 3: It was just, hey, do you have anything now that we're embroidering Van Halen logos on things, do you have anything? And I'm like, I have this old track blazer, sport sporting your coat sport coat blazer, and uh, I'd also like that logo on my business pants.
Speaker 1: So you put van Halen on your yeah what I think people call sometimes sweatshirts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a jacket with a zipper.
Speaker 4: And when you say jacket doesn't have lapels, uh.
Speaker 3: Good question. I do believe it does. Yes, it does little collars.
Speaker 1: If it was made of a different material, would people say that is a blazer?
Speaker 3: No, no it is. It is like a track you know what a track suit, like an Adidas track suit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is just the top.
Speaker 3: And it's not made by Adidas.
Speaker 1: But the shape of the actual jacket, yes, is a sporting nature.
Speaker 3: God damn you so I look like if I were to wear it's someone that wasn't in Van Halen. But maybe pull's cable or make sure that puddles are scot shapped or concert got you. I look like I'm a puddle boy, great lot like a ball boy.
Speaker 1: And you're afraid that if you have that on. Yep, just people are going to come up to you willy nilly, Hey are you David Lee Roth?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: Do you know davidly Roth? Like that was what you were trying to avoid.
Speaker 3: I'm not that they think I'm him, but that they'll go, hey, man, what's your favorite album? And that's like, here we go. So I can't casually wear.
Speaker 4: It, okay, because you don't have a favorite album.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even come up with one.
Speaker 1: Fifty one fifty.
Speaker 3: I would just say fifty one fifty or van Halen van Halen.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're done. Yeah, there's no challenge here. Yeah, get the jacket back on.
Speaker 3: What if there's follow up questions?
Speaker 1: You can say, excuse me, what the fuck are you asking me all these questions for? They'll laugh, They'll say, I'm sorry, I'm drunk. I just came out of that bar, and then here you go, new friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've kind of panted the picture of a healthy, fun interaction. Can I get a new friend out of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you don't know you have to earn it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess so, but I have to turn and ask them about their jacket.
Speaker 1: Literally, I'm I'm pretending to lecture you, like you need to be more open. When if anybody would say one thing to me, I'd literally turn around. I would be like no, no matter what the question was, and then turn around.
Speaker 3: I know I knew straight down lecture, but do head directly at us. That's a great.
Speaker 4: Head on collision. Whatever it's convenient for you.
Speaker 3: That was a weird zigzag. No wonder they keep this area clear. It's for the hilarious hijinks.
Speaker 1: See it's I guess this is stupid people laying over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it crossing dumb shit boulevard. I think that if we put ourselves in the shoes of this. Obviously it's confusing because we've seen everyone's zigzag, right, it is scary.
Speaker 1: It's scary, but like, watch now, she's going to come toward us as she tries to make this left.
Speaker 3: Well, instead of just going over as she does that, put yourself in her shoes for a minute. It's kind of a precarious situation. There's all this Rosa traffic. She's actually just not going to do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's frozen in fear.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what if she's passed. I've been watching Six Feet Under and I and Every Cold Open is a mysterious death, and it actually has me.
Speaker 4: A little paranoid of your upcoming death.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's like, you know, I don't want to even have to think about that.
Speaker 4: No, you shouldn't have to.
Speaker 3: No, and I won't.
Speaker 4: Quick quick reminder, it's fiction.
Speaker 3: It is fiction.
Speaker 4: Although dying is very real, right.
Speaker 3: That's no fiction. So I'm back to being worried about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I feel like, and I came to this conclusion at a young age that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to die of old age. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is my thing in sixth grade, Chris Fairbanks, wherever he might be, whoever it is, He's gonna make it all the way to the end.
Speaker 3: Did you get a year.
Speaker 4: Twenty forty two?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I guess this year isn't going.
Speaker 5: To be my year.
Speaker 4: Oh that seems like kind of far in the future, but I guess it really isn't.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to see success right before that. Yeah, Okay, that's good.
Speaker 4: You're going that's just it is.
Speaker 1: You're going to have like the set of a lifetime at one of the many clubs we just passed on Sunset Strip, and when you're done, you're gonna be like, let's go to meet me at the Rainbow Room, everybody, and then you run out into traffic.
Speaker 3: What a closer I found. My dad has told me this story several times. But when he was in the radio business, there was a guy he was waiting for his time slot, and the guy was like profusely sweating and sitting there. They later found out he had had a heart attack and he said, Oh my god, just leave me here, Jim, I want to die on the air.
Speaker 4: No, And your dad was like, sounds good bye bye.
Speaker 3: No. I think he called the ambulance and get something. He did mock him first, but for just being a drama queen. Yeah, but I mean talk about loving your job.
Speaker 4: Or being lazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I could see myself absolutely being like, I don't want to get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ambulances are expensive, I'll just lay here.
Speaker 1: I used to do that when I first started having seizures. I would turn to people if I got scared that I was going to have a seizure. I would turn to my friends and be like, do not call an ambulance. It's so expensive.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 4: It would give the ship out of everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's still my go to the life is that it's expensive and I can probably just handle it.
Speaker 4: You'll walk it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe let's promise to not talk about death or right or any really any of the things that we've been talking.
Speaker 3: You know why I get it out of the way. This is you and me time. Oh that's right for here on out, nothing but professional and the firing up of great topics.
Speaker 1: Great, but everyone can enjoy amazing.
Speaker 3: Look at this. Yeah that was opened up.
Speaker 4: That felt great.
Speaker 3: That's a good omen.
Speaker 1: That's no parking on Tuesday. Mmmm, well, oh only till two?
Speaker 3: What about just idling?
Speaker 4: I think I think we're going to get away with it.
Speaker 3: So we're waiting for today's guests. Do you think it would be too much to ask if I could go use her restroom? It might be I'll hold it.
Speaker 4: You've never met her, right.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just a man of a certain age until I get this public floor.
Speaker 1: Mind.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the last I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: In front of her.
Speaker 6: Please, Hello, we we finally didn't cancel on you again.
Speaker 5: Are you kidna come?
Speaker 3: We did cancel today?
Speaker 4: Oh no, we came over here to tell you we can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so should we just drop you out the corner?
Speaker 1: You know, this is actually perfect right here.
Speaker 3: Our guest today is a hilarious Canadian and you know are from clubs and colleges across the country. Put your ears together for Alyssa in Paris.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, so happy to be here and have I mean, this is a swank car. This is nice. This is this. You kind of get it. You go elon musk X you know you hate him, and then you get in one of these cars. You go, god, damn it, Yes, I get it.
Speaker 1: If we could just get him off the board, or as the board could just get him off the thing, you could just remove him somehow, and then you and then you look at the roof.
Speaker 3: You yeah, taking this dash, taking that dash?
Speaker 1: Wowgeous?
Speaker 5: So where we headed?
Speaker 3: Airport, Elliot, that's the happiest place on earth.
Speaker 1: We heard you love it there? Yeah, okay, we just kind of drive around aimlessly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you see, if there's a place to get drive through coffee, Okay, I love it, yes or whatever.
Speaker 3: And we I might go into the coffee place for my own personal reasons okay.
Speaker 5: Perfect, Yes, unrelated to coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but sometimes caused by coffee.
Speaker 4: But the really sketched.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I really want to paint a picture.
Speaker 1: For you here since we just met.
Speaker 3: Yes, our podcast used to pick up or drop off at the airport.
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 3: That's kind of nice.
Speaker 5: Though, because then you could get a ride out.
Speaker 3: Of it, exactly because we thought it would be difficult to find guests.
Speaker 5: But I'll tell you what. Picking up is an art at lax because you have like you have to game it so perfectly. Well, yell at you the minute you start pulling up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you kind of can't pull up in a weird you can't.
Speaker 5: It has to just be that you've Yeah, they're running towards you and you open the door.
Speaker 3: I say, as soon as you have your bag, I'll quit hiding behind this in and out and then I'll grab you. Yeah, you can't just go in there. Willie and Nelly like, I hope they're ready.
Speaker 5: No, no, No, it's it's choreography. Yeah, there's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like planning a beautiful dance like Paul Abduel.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, and that cartoon cat.
Speaker 3: MC cool cat scat scat. Sometimes I forget about what his interests were.
Speaker 1: You should please keep it in mind at all times.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yes, uh And then left and Uber changed the dynamic. So now we come to your neighborhood.
Speaker 5: But I will say, even with lift an Uber, I still think it's a luxury to get a pickup because you don't have to do that final walk to the other area after cross country flight. That's that's the breaking point I feel sometimes is making that trick to the final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if there's like one just any kind of hiccup on the way home.
Speaker 4: It could break you.
Speaker 5: It could break you if the lift river starts chatting you up and they too much colone, too much cologne, too little, I can't smell anything.
Speaker 3: Quick, tell me about your screenplay. I gave exactly.
Speaker 5: It's always it's always that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What if there are people that specifically used lift an uber because they love cologne and they love screenplay ideas, and they're just like, I want to talk about it, I want to smell it.
Speaker 5: Yes, executives, maybe some executives or ide lifts and they go. Maybe one of these drivers will have a good pitch and I'll discover them.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should start pitching to drivers. You never know what they do during the day I start driving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am, it's true.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should start pitching to anyone I see on the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's not one time I had an uber driver. You used to write for the Daily Show? No, totally?
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, well as we know. I mean, the strike certainly taught us that even if you see someone writing for or starring in a hit show, it doesn't always mean that there's financial security along with them.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, I have to have a plan. B.
Speaker 1: It also taught us if you see someone say something yes, yes, which is important.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Look at this beautiful sunset. I mean, come on, this.
Speaker 1: Is very Hollywood right now, is yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a lot better than when we drive after five because it's dark and it's scary. Right now, we're getting a beautiful sunset.
Speaker 5: And will say it's sort of a daunting thing to say at four fifty pm. Yeah, right on the verb five, what's gonna happen at five? What happens to you do it? Five? There?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a kind of there's like a zombie element that comes out and you'll see, you'll see it's very scary.
Speaker 3: Well you'll you'll hear it. You are looking at the back of my head. But I will grow fan.
Speaker 1: In the car zombies, Yes, like a new thing that podcasts are doing.
Speaker 5: Wow, in the car Zombies.
Speaker 4: I think I.
Speaker 1: Need to make a left left so that we can basically turn and then you can have your choice of businesses to go into rue.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Alfred up here.
Speaker 5: I believe I love Alfred. You guys go to Alfred.
Speaker 3: No, who's Alfred?
Speaker 5: Elphas? Sort of? I would say it's an La. It feels like I think just in La. Good coffee and nice bread, the sandwich, a little hip maybe so sometimes a little bit you have to wait a little bit. There's some people taking pictures of their coffee. Is that kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Do you work on your screenplay at Alfred?
Speaker 5: I'm not a ever. I think maybe in New York I was like a on the go, But in La, I'm a real work on my screenplay at home and at night. I'm a big night worker.
Speaker 3: Oh m hm.
Speaker 4: And what do you think you it's better just for ideas and stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it is, but there's something that feels really safe to me about the evening, like no one can interrupt me, or no one needs me, or there's nothing like that can pop up. So there's something kind of nice about this is just my time. And so then if I'm creating this world, I can just cuddle into this world. Whereas I think it becomes a little hard during the day or there's things happening that I don't know take me.
Speaker 3: Out of the Yeah, I do all my important work off business hours. Yeah, because you never know, nine to five, something's gonna come up. You have to pay a bill.
Speaker 5: There's always a bill. Also, always a bill.
Speaker 3: My brain, because of stand up, is trained to only work at night.
Speaker 4: That might be a two.
Speaker 5: I think that that's a part of it too, is Yeah, creative, creatively, my brain is more activated at night as well.
Speaker 3: But from the hours of eight to twelve, if I would wake up for it, I might be good at math.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, look who we are right now, z Louisviton Balenciaga.
Speaker 3: I mean, and the lights and the light take in these lights.
Speaker 4: I mean, it actually is kind of awesome.
Speaker 5: It really is. Do you think people buy stuff at these stories like how many, how much is being bought and how much of this is just sort of a museum type.
Speaker 3: Thing, right I think? Yes?
Speaker 5: I mean like Cardier, there's there's a line, but there's no one in.
Speaker 4: There's a line that is it a created line? Because that store is hella.
Speaker 1: So incredibly.
Speaker 5: What would you call that? Like a movie theater?
Speaker 1: Like when you're like a vip road rope, stay away the sole lady just kind of ambling nearby? Is it because they're afraid that that people are going to do the smash and grab thing?
Speaker 3: That's all I'm thinking about. Well, right, but.
Speaker 5: Also I'll tell you what if I was going to do the smash and grab that little velvet rope a sun.
Speaker 3: It's just a fun thing on your house.
Speaker 5: Almost gives me momentum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just yeah, I like to show a little style when I add why I'm not doing a hurdle. Yeah, this is odd. That's what I think of, and what I used to think of in this area is just uh, you know, you'd always hear about Lindsay Lohand or something doing a U turn and crashing. I think of like early two thousands, famous people just putting pedal to the metal in their ug boots.
Speaker 1: You're a fool, sir going against traffic. And you know that was probably like the head of CIA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did have a six that's escaping now. He was like, I would ride my bike wherever I want.
Speaker 5: I don't care. Try to kill me.
Speaker 3: Again. If you get to know me, you find that's the only celebrity name I know.
Speaker 1: It's the only one Chris cares about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so many Christmas movies that she's currently in.
Speaker 1: Is she back?
Speaker 3: She's ever?
Speaker 4: I can take her off my worry list.
Speaker 3: Listen, when did you move here from New York?
Speaker 1: You guys moved here around five years ago. At this point, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I love it. I grew up in the suburbs, and I think there was something about by the time I got here, I felt like a very homeliness to LA where I was like I can still have I like having a car. I like go to a grocery store with big isles, like little little things that I felt. I don't know, so I think at this stage of my life, I love it. I really am glad I spent the time in New York that I did, But I'm very happy to be here now. I feel very grounded here.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good, I've whenever I visit New York, I feel like I should have spent some time here.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay you. I don't know why, but I assumed you did. You're you were always l a I was.
Speaker 3: And then I go there and I'm like, oh, this audience is really listening to what I'm saying. There's no other distractions totally, and but it's too late. I live here and I love it. I can't go back now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And also you can too, you know, like it's always there if you ever wanted like New York.
Speaker 4: That was the best way to be argumentative.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also yes, no, because I agreed right away you're wrong.
Speaker 5: You're wrong, Yeah, wrong, I am wrong, but.
Speaker 3: I could be right one day.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Wait a second, Yeah, I've been tricked again. Well it's almost I agree though, because it's kind of like it's it is never too late, especially if you already know how to do comedy. It's not like you're it would be too late if you were starting comedy.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Sorry, are you disry with me?
Speaker 5: I guess I feel I guess I feel I'm a big believer and like you can kind of start at any age. It just means probably the older you get, the more comforts you have to give up. So I think it just becomes maybe more difficult, because yeah, I wouldn't want to be living the life I lived in New York and going to open mics the way I did in New York at this stage of my life. But I think if you had the hunger and really wanted to do it, I don't think it's too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm getting a weird version where I visit and I do all the fun shows and then I assume, oh, it did be like this every night, But it's not the case.
Speaker 5: No. Yeah, but it's a it's a fun place to do stand up for sure. There's a lot more bopping around. There's a real community. I feel happy to have spent that time there. But yeah, I love I love like making bread and soup. I'm a real sort of like I'm just kind of boring, and so I think I really like LA because it's it helps me just we.
Speaker 3: Have bigger kitchens, have.
Speaker 1: Bigger kitchens, and I'm more a bigger demands for soup and bread.
Speaker 5: That's exactly yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a soup city.
Speaker 5: I was a real like eating pop chips in New York. I never really had groceries.
Speaker 1: Right, so because you were kind of trying to make ends meet or no, you know, I think it was more.
Speaker 5: Of a just like lifestyle thing, like I would just work during the day, go to shows exactly, and then there were maybe there was just so much access to good food quickly, like easy, that I never had the incentive to cook for myself. It was almost equally affordable to eat on the run.
Speaker 3: That's something I would anticipate. I had the best food there, and I was eating all that time because everywhere you walk it's like this looks great. Tell don't think I would ever cook it home.
Speaker 5: And all the time You're like, I need energy because I'm yeah, on the goat on the go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. I did realize the lot because I stayed there about ten days and I was sore how much I was running around that city. And that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Chris, Do you want to run into.
Speaker 3: Yes, I swear that I'm almost having trouble processing thoughts.
Speaker 5: Here we go, come right here, and this is kind of a New York place, so it's sort of fitting.
Speaker 3: Because I won't be able to park permission to go down that alley. Do it, thank you. It's I'm going to go into the Lipanqua.
Speaker 5: Do it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. My apologies.
Speaker 4: We'll be around the block and we'll come back.
Speaker 3: And this is all a hilarious bit that's gonna have a fun reveal.
Speaker 1: I can't cross up button go because the light is green. Bye strange, Are you gonna do it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I tried. I try to be nice, and you made me pay. You know what's really funny. I have a shirt that I need to return right here at the Club Monaco.
Speaker 4: I just got it this morning over here.
Speaker 1: I had to pick up so stupid I had to pick up a prescription over here, and then I was like, ooh, I'm going to try to get something for the Christmas party.
Speaker 4: And I got a site. I wouldn't try it on in the store.
Speaker 5: I do that these days too. Now, I just won't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get involved.
Speaker 5: I mean either, I mean either, yeah.
Speaker 1: But then, but I wonder, since I'm here because our Christmas party is tomorrow, if I could just run in and be like, do you have this in large?
Speaker 5: Definitely?
Speaker 1: I mean do you have a place to be?
Speaker 5: No, let's I got nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll make sure Chris gets picked back up so he's not left alone.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought that that over there was a miniature mannequin, but it's a picture.
Speaker 5: Looks like Phoe water Bridge, it does. See. Look this store couldn't be empty. It's one of she's sitting, she's like getting over, she's coming in.
Speaker 1: She's like just playing Candy Crush on her phone.
Speaker 4: Like I hated here. I mean, are you ready for the holidays? It hasn't absorbed into me.
Speaker 1: So now I'm looking at all these Christmas lights where it's just like, oh shit, we're We're in December.
Speaker 5: I know, Well, LA's weird. That is the weird part of las because you don't really feel the weather change. It just sneaks up on you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and today it became eighty degrees all of a sudden, insane.
Speaker 5: I hosted Thanksgiving, so I feel like I had so much energy that I put towards that that I'm kind of lesse fair about Christmas Now I'm like, oh, yeah, it's did you cook it?
Speaker 1: Wow? How many people did you have? Let's see I.
Speaker 5: Four six eight we have mine. Yeah, that's big. Yeah, it was fun. I'm Greek, you know, so I I I'm sort of I like cooking, I like hosting. I grew up with a lot of people in the house and that's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's anybody else like, did people bring stuff? Did you have it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Did you just split it up?
Speaker 5: Yeah. My boyfriend's brother brought a couple of great veggie dishes, and then my boyfriend's dad came by to help with the turkey because we had never we had never made a turkey before.
Speaker 1: Turkey is very tricky, it is, yeah, And.
Speaker 5: I'm a vegetarian. I'm vgan, so I have never even cooked meat. And it feels like turkey is kind of the king of meats because it's so big and it's has to be yeah, and it'd be butter and stuff.
Speaker 4: And so much stuff.
Speaker 1: And also my dad, my dad's a good cook and he's the one that always does it. But he was like, you have to take it out before it's done because it keeps on cooking. And so that's why people always have dry turkey and just that part of it.
Speaker 5: And you kind of have to be brave to do that because of course you're like, I don't want to serve undercooked turkey, So it's a big swing to take it out early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you're it's a real high wire act. And I never really understood it till this year because my dad took it out and I was like, could you I was positive it was going to be gross, and I was like, if we have pink.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can't have pink pink turkey? No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how did you guys do with your turkey?
Speaker 5: It came out great, but I would say when I say he helped, it was more like he's a great cook too, and he I would say, he sort of made it and we kind of watched on. Okay, So that felt That's why it felt easy because I didn't have to do the turkey, so then it was just kind of making sides and all the other stuff.
Speaker 1: Now do you feel like next year you could make the turkey based on what you learned?
Speaker 5: I think no, that guess. I think maybe me and my boyfriend absorbed more. I was kind of worried about the other dishes, and so he was more on duty and I really am kind of grossed out by meat.
Speaker 1: So I turned away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wasn't that actively looking, especially when like the skin was being taken off. So yeah, but it smelled delicious and everyone loved it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and eight people, that's like eight people.
Speaker 1: Did you have that feeling of you were kind of juggling and it was a little bit stressful or was it like because because that's how your family operates, It was like, yay, it's this is mother's milk and I love it all.
Speaker 5: For me, it's like definitely yay. I've actually like last year for Greek Easter, I think I had like twenty five people or something. I kind of get a high off of it. I really love And I used to waitress, so there's a real feeling I like of time pressure and moving around and making sure everyone's fed and everything's like ready on time. I really like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very fun.
Speaker 5: Yes, and this is like kind of emo, but there's something very like I feel very there's something very cool about like when I'm peeling potatoes or when I'm like buttering the spanakopita, and I like know that my grandparents did the same thing and like I can see them doing it, and so there's something like very especially I live out here, I don't have any family out here. There's something that grounds me a lot in like I'm doing something that I my like ancestors did.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I had the kind of parents.
Speaker 1: Who owe, my dad had eight brothers and sisters, so we have a big family and I love it. But I would do like when I first like moved out and had like dinner parties and stuff. I would have dinner parties, but I can only cook like two things and they involve Campbell's soup and it's not great. And you know, I realized, like, oh, people are actually looking for a nice dinner. If if you have a dinner party, you need to be serving kind of good food totally. And I'd be like, oh, I just wanted to get drunk on white wine. I have friends over. Actually it's a different thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there is like a turn where that happens because I didn't like twenties that didn't really happen. If you if I were invited to someone's place, I was never expecting good food.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But then thirties, Yeah, it's like, yeah, well I'm going for dinner. Yeah there's gonna.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, feed me good dinner food.
Speaker 5: I better Yeah, so, did your dad teach you how to cook?
Speaker 1: No, My dad was the kind of cook and be like, you know, it's easy, just eyeball it.
Speaker 4: He was always that kind of like this should be natural or something.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: Just recently, I think it was for Thanksgiving, there was some recipe where it was like, Dad, I would love Oh it was a salad dressing that was really simple and really good, and I was like, can you.
Speaker 4: Just write that down for me?
Speaker 1: He's like, you know, it's easy. It's like and it's.
Speaker 5: That kind of thing where you're just like, I don't know in fact that Yeah, I'm not an eyeballer at all. I need real clear instructions and directions. I think it's a different it's like an art.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you have I think a natural knack for it of like the rhythm of cooking, yes, then that is a normal thing to say to Somebody's like, come on, it's easy.
Speaker 4: But it's like I'm the person that I had.
Speaker 1: My friend Bradford tried to teach me to cook a specific dish and he had to say, oh no, no, you can't walk away while you're stoptaying me's onions. You can't just leave and I was like, wait what I was like, cause I just kind of got distracted. Oh totally went into the other room. And he's like, no, no, this is a you're doing this now for the duration.
Speaker 7: I was like, eway, totally, yes, yeah, but that is also the cool thing about cooking is like, once you know a dish, then you can start eyeballing it.
Speaker 5: But I can't go backwards. I can't start by eyeballing, and that's how I learned how to do.
Speaker 4: But exactly, yeah, someone needs to be patient with you.
Speaker 1: Exactly a little bit. I think I'm just gonna Pullah. This is good because it's right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is kind of like the lax process. There's the same sort of nervous energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not an ideal plan. And also why would he still be inside?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: Also, do you have to use the restroom?
Speaker 5: She did come at mine?
Speaker 4: Well, you know what's so funny, that's what you said.
Speaker 1: We pulled up and he goes, is it weird for me to ask?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, and I was like, yes, we don't know her.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, No, that's on me.
Speaker 1: Now, it's on me there. Oh I always do that, so sorry here a long time. No, he just full okay, and also listen, you should have gone on my house.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I was like, wait, did he use the restaurant?
Speaker 3: I know, I just didn't want to open with that.
Speaker 5: No, sure, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: I was thrown in a lot of subtle hands. It's okay, though. I did a little smash and grab and I got us all tennis races.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be really.
Speaker 3: Hill and almost got into a couple other testas I scared some people.
Speaker 5: Oh right on this street, this is probably yeah.
Speaker 3: And one was not even it was more of a portion of the color seemed dry. So oh, thank you. Everything I've said is off the record, and I'm bad. I did an interesting thing where I just cut to the choice, the choice of cutting to the truth, which I just said, Hi, I'm not purchasing anything, I just want to use the restroom. And she really appreciated it.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just went right up front. I did a real I like that.
Speaker 1: She was fine with it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to buy any baked goods. I said, may I use the restaurant? She really liked it.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 3: Wow did you what did you all talk about?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Thanksgiving? Alyssa hosting eight people cooking, the difficulties, the joy is, we really got into it.
Speaker 4: We're very close friends.
Speaker 5: Now. Look at that Massachusetts license plate where I'm from. Look at the and Sudbury Herb Chambers. My car is from Herb Chambers as well. Yeah, Herb Chambers. Because yeah, it's such a crazy My boyfriend always loves it because it's such a crazy name. Ur Chambers.
Speaker 3: Do you want to go and and see if you know? I mean, if it is a person from Missoula, Montana, where I'm from, I will say hi, I am from Missoula.
Speaker 5: Also, just because it's such a small time, I'll say that with Rhode Island, I think Massachusetts is too, because they could be from a totally different party. Yeah, Herb Chambers. That's I feel like her, James.
Speaker 3: That so that's where visit your impression of.
Speaker 5: Your exactly, Thank you so much. That's so nice, thank you. Yeah, that's where. That's where it's from. She's was born in Rhode Island, so she has a Cranston accent. And then I lived in seakaonk mass my whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has your mom visited you here?
Speaker 5: And she did? She came for Thanksgiving. She think she was at the Yep, she was there. I I think that she loves Elishaw. It's so nice in the weather. My god, this is really nice. Yeah, I can't believe, can't believe. We're a lot. We walked down here and she's like, I don't even know if we're allowed to walk on the street. We're not rich enough to even walk on the street. Yeah, she loves it here. She loves it. But I I think she just has so much family and friends in mass I don't know if she moved here, but she loves visiting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Parents love the weather here.
Speaker 5: They love the weather.
Speaker 3: If you want to see your parents more, which a lot of young adults.
Speaker 4: Do, they miss and they love them.
Speaker 3: You want to quick drop in make sure it's seventy five.
Speaker 5: All year round, yep, yep. Yeah, So we do it.
Speaker 1: And are your parents or is your mom the kind of parent who might move to LA since you live out here.
Speaker 5: It's interesting, I feel like yes, Okay, So, like basically a lot of those videos started because so my dad passed away. They were very close, and then I was in New York and my mom did move to New York to be with me right after my dad died because it was just like she just wanted to be closer to me. Of course, So yes, I do think she's the type that would move out here because I'm out here. But I think that she loved the stimulation of the city, and I do think the parts that I love about La of like the calmness and the suburban nature and get in her mind she was like, well, I'm just going to be lonely out like he is. Yeah, It's almost like, well, then I might as well just still be in my close to my home if I'm gonna be in the suburbs. Whereas New York, I think it offered a sort of energy that was helpful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or at least distracting.
Speaker 5: That's right, Yeah, that's right. I think New York is the greatest healer for for any you know, if you need a little Joel to fear life is turned upside down. I do think New York is a real friend. I love New York for that. But then where you don't need it quite as much, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's like a friend who did some cocaine while you were gone, and then you're like, wait, we're not on the same lesson exactly.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Think it's Wednesday. It's Wednesday at two? Yeah, exactly, what.
Speaker 1: Are we doing party wise? Here? What's happening? Unless it's closed? Wait, it's five twenty.
Speaker 5: You gotta go. You're right here. You gotta do it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna Chris really quickly return a shirt into this and.
Speaker 5: Then you know, it's fun. Chris and I can have some solo time. And all of a sudden, Okay, this is not nice.
Speaker 1: I can't believe a new way to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should have been doing this. It's overwhelming.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: When we're approached by a traffic cop, what do I do? What I do? I just put my hand on the steering wheel and act like.
Speaker 5: Our driver is she has just ran in.
Speaker 4: She's right there.
Speaker 5: She had a club monicle emergency.
Speaker 3: They won't know. I'll just say, this is a self driving car and it's making a mistake, and you just need to.
Speaker 4: Give us one moment to change the mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be right back. Finally we can actually talk.
Speaker 5: How have you been? Oh my goodness?
Speaker 3: They go, wow, oh yeah, that was a sudden. We were outdoors for a minute.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of those videos. I remember seeing them before I knew anything of you.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, They're so fun. They were really fun to make, a really joyful way to spend time with my mom. Yeah, and it's nice because you know, I my mom ended up moving out of that so her my dad like build a house together. Then I live there my whole life. They live their their whole lives, and my dad died in that house. So that house is like, yeah, very meaningful to me, and it's no longer there my mom moved out. So now those videos are kind of nice for me even because I get to watch them and feel like, I don't know, like I'm watching some home videos. Yeah, there's something a little nostalgic about it for me now, which is.
Speaker 3: Nice and having good times during what was obviously.
Speaker 5: Sadly sad times exactly. Yeah, totally are your parents' book, No, I uh.
Speaker 3: Actually, Karen and I both our moms had Alzheimer's have passed, and originally that was going to be the theme of the podcast. It sounds like tons of laughs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then one day Karen had the idea of like, what if we take comedians to the airport. I'm like, oh, that sounds much more tearless here, I am, but that was one of the ways she and I bonded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm sorry, sure that that feels like a very tough route.
Speaker 3: Yeah. People always talk about the Witch because I've had friends that suddenly lost a parent and I saw them that's affected in a permanent way by that, in a way where I'm like, well, I'm glad mine took ten years. It was gradual, right, totally. This is kind of dark talk. We'd like to keep things light, and so I'm glad we're having this time to get Okay, yeah, we're getting Gothy in here.
Speaker 5: Okay, get I'm Gothy, so am.
Speaker 3: I I have a zipper patch that I ordered from hot Topic on my jacket.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh it's just a zipper. It looks like a zipper, but it's a patch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been ordering a lot of you know, Jack the Skeleton, like or I messed that up before Jack Skellington, I wouldn't have.
Speaker 5: Known the differences the skeleton, he's the skeleton. Yeah. No, I don't think there's a it's almost like there's no good way. It's just there different types of bad ice, yes, different Yeah, things you have to how.
Speaker 3: A therapeutic was doing your Peacock special about.
Speaker 5: It really was? I would say that show in general was therapy. So yeah, I did a solo show called No Bad Days. It's on Peacock and when I it was very therapeutic. I started that like right after my dad died, and that was very therapeutic. And then I think I stopped at a certain point because it maybe stopped being therapeutic and it started just feeling like painful. Yes, And then coming back for Peacock was so interesting because it was like a whole different type of therapeutic. It was maybe the letting go when I think that first chunk was like processing and dealing and talking and sharing and like, help, I need to talk about this, and then to come back as like an adult whatever eight years later or however long it was, I didn't I thought like, oh, I'm sort of done processing this, and I was in a way, but I wasn't. I hadn't let go yet. And that really that's what the Peacock Special I think helped me do.
Speaker 3: Is Dicky, did you, during the recording of it in a surprised way suddenly get emotional?
Speaker 5: What a question? Because yes, I I the rehearsal. So that day we did a rehearsal and I could not stop crying. We did the whole thing and I was we had to do like a q Q and I was weeping, weeping, weeping, and it was so wild because I wasn't I hadn't wept about it in so long. And I really feel like it was like because I didn't really cry my dad because my mom was so upset, I felt I sort of was just kind of anyway. So it was like I felt, oh, this is the funeral for my dad. This is like eight years later. Today I'm recognized, like I'm saying goodbye and yeah, and then it Yeah, I felt I guess better on the other end of it.
Speaker 3: That's I asked that kind of specific question because that's what happened. And during my special that I recorded, I just all I was doing was thanking my mom. And at the end there was like a you know, in Alzheimer's website, and just talking about it or even having conversations with people, I would be fine. So I thought I was over it, but once, and it has something to do with all the emotions you go through well performing that's probably to the yes and it happened to me too. At the end, I just started crying and they've kept it in, but it was I did not expect that to happen. And we did two shows and it happened each time. Yep, Like, well, surely this isn't going to happen a second time, but it was. That was the kind of therapeutic where it's like, oh, clearly I haven't quite Yeah, there was plenty of grieving left.
Speaker 5: That's how I felt, too. And how long ago? How long was the gap between the special.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was to Martin two years.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that's a pretty yeah, that's a pretty short amount of time too. So of course you're yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. I'm glad to hear you say that, because I thought that I was like, well, I guess I have no control over my age.
Speaker 5: Oh that's how I felt too, emotions. I was so emotional. I called my I called my track coach, weeping in between rehearsal, just being like thank you for like everything you taught me. I was like an open book of just like, oh my god, there's so much that I just haven't let out.
Speaker 3: And why are you're a track coach.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing he was like a paternal figure in my life, and running was such a big part of my life and kind of a big part of the special So I think that it something about it just made me be like, oh, I'm so appreciative of this person in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. Yeah, are you still running?
Speaker 5: I am not really. No, I have a bad hips so uh oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, don't get me start.
Speaker 5: Talking to me.
Speaker 3: We got bad hips I have. I have a replaced hip. Hey, I got somewhere in that window of time that we're talking about. No way, and it works great. In case you're thinking about it.
Speaker 5: I have a laberal tear.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I don't know much about the tears.
Speaker 5: What about you? You have a I just.
Speaker 3: Had My bones were rubbing together, and they said, you were born with bad hips. You have the hips of an old man. And I thought it would be something cool like, oh, you snowboarded too hard, but no, it was just uh I apparently, and my friends let me know, I've been complaining about it since I was a teenager.
Speaker 5: So wow, and now you feel pretty much better.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it really works.
Speaker 1: This feels like a great chance for me to jump back in. Welcome back to the car.
Speaker 4: I am back in the car.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. So sorry, I didn't you know, have a key to the city waiting?
Speaker 1: Well you have?
Speaker 4: You get a key to your replaced hip?
Speaker 1: Yes, talked to us.
Speaker 5: How the shirt did it?
Speaker 1: Was it, guys?
Speaker 5: Successful?
Speaker 1: I bought a shirt that is so popular because I needed one size larger and they were like, they don't have it, not only anywhere in the city, anywhere in the nation o mine. They checked New York stores and they were like, we can't even order it for you from our New York stores. And I was like, well, then we have good taste exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: So what did you I saw you came back with a bag? Did you just?
Speaker 1: I just kept it and said, I'm going to do this a different time because I'm parked illegally and this party is tomorrow. So all of this was bad planning in every way.
Speaker 5: But I'm glad you checked now, you know, and.
Speaker 1: You know what, thank you for being the kind of guest that wasn't like what and like basically allowed me to do an actual Errand of course during the podcast, of course.
Speaker 5: I sort of thought that was the vibe of the buggets, and I'm a little stressed today that I didn't have a choice. So in a way, you almost gave me a gift of great. Now we have something.
Speaker 4: Now we have yes to do this shirt, just like the full circle moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, wait did you find the shirt?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. Okay, I have it's too small for me.
Speaker 5: So now it's such a popular shirt. Did you like see it somewhere or how did you find it? It was just you picked it on the I picked and.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I was picking up a prescription, like down the block. And then I said, I looked at Club Monaco, which is has some classic places, right, and I said, I'm going to just give it a try because I might just find one simple but classy blouse that I can wear tomorrow, yes, and take care of like all my concerns.
Speaker 4: And then I found it.
Speaker 1: But I did a thing because I've lost some weight recently, so I was like, I think I'm this size and I'm not. I just and I didn't try it on.
Speaker 5: And in that store, it's like sizes are so crazy too, so you never really if you don't know a brand, you're like, who knows? Did it run small or big Yes.
Speaker 1: So I did it thoroughly and correctly, like I'm doing this right now, or I'm stopping in the middle of the intersection to let somebody take a left in front of me because.
Speaker 4: I'm in a block traffic. I just kind of wanted it to be over.
Speaker 1: I don't like trying on clothes in stores anyway. I don't want to learn the saleslady's name or get involved. I want it to be fast and easy, and it isn't.
Speaker 3: Do you want her to knock and say, how's it going on there?
Speaker 5: If you need anything else?
Speaker 1: No, I just won't answer if that happens. I want them to think that I fell and hit my head. Just silent treatment the entire time.
Speaker 3: I was going to a changing room with a bag of fake blood. Just squeeze a little under there, your.
Speaker 1: Tongue, a little down your head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just.
Speaker 1: Make their day.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, I got so into online shopping and returning during the pandemic that now when I go into a store, there's it almost feels so rare to leave with the item. There's something so like, yeah, I can't I don't have to wait.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 5: I get to have it now.
Speaker 1: I had a thing too, where because like working from home, it's just something I've just been doing for so long that it's like if it's a weekday, I don't get to shop like it's I have it all blocked out in my head of when and where I can get things. So I had this crazy feeling of like I want to get this thing in a break during the day where I was just like, oh my god, I have to get yes, whatever I can while I can, yes, crazy person, and then just like this will fit me, this will be fine, and just like all of this is insane.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So what's the holiday party?
Speaker 4: It's for our the podcast network.
Speaker 5: Okay, so now do you have a shirt?
Speaker 3: I will probably wear something I already have. It's nice to get a holiday shirt. Yeah, I already. I have a bit of a clothing buying problem. It's gotten better since I quit drinking.
Speaker 5: Drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did, and I used to I think late at night by purchase things. That was my party totally. Yeah yeah, like just yeah, just me four or five or maybe all six White Claws and then and then it just commenced to shop it. No, I'm now I'm more sober. Decision.
Speaker 4: Now I have to get to wearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so it is a bowling party, so I will bring my new ball and my new bowling shoes and I'm very excited.
Speaker 5: Oh it's a bowling holiday party. Yes, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: It kind of takes the pressure off the outfit a little bit because it's an active thing.
Speaker 4: Yes okay.
Speaker 1: And also I think the reason I wanted to get a shirt was because my original outfit choice was a velvet dress.
Speaker 4: Right, and I was like, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Velvet? This is weird?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And also I don't really wear stuff like that, so I'm not sure I was. Sometimes I like to like look at a cattle, be like here's how I'm going to be different now, And it doesn't work.
Speaker 5: That way, I know, I know. I think that's why I like when I'm on a movie or something getting caught, because I'm like, I never really make big choices, so when someone else makes a good choice, I'm like, I forget that I have the access to do, Like, there's nothing stopping us from you wearing that velvet dress, but we are just we have a way we look and I don't usually stray from it, right, I don't make big swings.
Speaker 3: Have you ever asked to keep something you wear.
Speaker 5: That's always I feel like I always asked to buy something off of it, keep a little piece of the character.
Speaker 3: With yeah, because it's just going to end up in a collection of some costume person.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, I like to keep a little little something here there.
Speaker 1: It's the most fun character like costume that you've worn that you felt like was a big change.
Speaker 5: I just finished this movie called Coming Together, and I played like a really quirky, upbeat, colorful wearing gas, which was very different for me and I everyone on set would be like, oh my gosh, like do you want to just keep all these And in my head, I was like, I feel so. I was so like aware of myself. Yeah, I was like, I'm so aware of myself, and I guess there's yes, something about that made me so uncomfortable. But also I it did change me a little. I like, now buy some bright things because I'm like, I should be okay with wearing louder things. But yeah, right, I maybe that's the New York too. There was a real feeling of I want to blend it, Yes, blending. I don't love maybe because I feel like I'm a little loud so my voice is Yeah, my voice is loud. I'm loud as a person that I also don't need my clothes to be I might might hurt people, might be too much. I need to let them have a break on my clothing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I always felt in New York like I wanted to be able to do that kind of chic day to night thing where it's like if you're if you have a specifically too casual daytime outfit, then you might not be able to so true transfer to well just go straight to the restaurant then, where it's like I don't.
Speaker 5: Know, that really wasn't you were always out for the whole day. It was like, yes, when you come back to your apartment, your back for like sleeping. Yes.
Speaker 1: And I made a deadly decision one time where I went out early in the day because, as you were saying, it's such an astute point, I basically was going to get a divorce and just like left and moved to New York to like get away. Yes, so I wouldn't have to talk to people about it. Yes, And it was the best because it was like no one knows, You're just completely anonymous walking through huge masses of people just churning through like subway up down, the whole thing.
Speaker 4: It's so soothing.
Speaker 1: Yes, But one day I made the mistake of going out wearing like a kind of tea oversized T shirt to like walk around and like almost work out in and sweatpants and maybe a layer that was in my bag. And I cut to twelve thirty that night, I'm at a Dave Hill concert in that same shirt, going, how am I wearing this outfit?
Speaker 4: Like at a club in New York?
Speaker 1: Well, I looked like I just like I came outside to empty the garbage, got locked outside on the adventures began like that bad like it was hilarious, total embarrassing.
Speaker 4: But of course also no one gives it.
Speaker 5: No, he gives a shit. And that's New York too, that like, yeah, you're like, yeah, I'll go to a concert that I wasn't planning on going to this, Like in La are you kidding? I have plans like weeks in advance, but in New York like, yeah, i'll do something crazy tonight.
Speaker 1: I'll get swept away. I get Yes, have you had any good celebrity sidings while you've been here?
Speaker 5: Mmm? Okay, well no, I was at a movie premiere last night.
Speaker 4: Were you in it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I wasn't in It was my my manager's client directed and wrote it. And you know I was there. The this isn't even the I don't even know her name. I just have seen clips, but you know, the like dance mom who is really intense.
Speaker 1: Abby, the main lady. Yeah, oh yeah, she was there.
Speaker 5: Holy and when I tell you the way the crowd like whenever she she came through, it was really like, uh, presidential, like everyone was sort of like yeah, tightening up, turning to her, making sure she had everything she needed. It was very like hello, your honor kind of. They were all so scared of her exactly, like, yeah, who's.
Speaker 3: The dance mom? Should I know you?
Speaker 5: I've seen a clip of dance moms, like you've seen her. She's sort of the very intense dance teacher.
Speaker 1: I think, right, yes, she's the main lady, and she's super mean to like nine year old girls in very tight bun It's there's an intensity to it where like I walked watched a couple episodes and I'm like, I either love this or something is very wrong, right, Like it's because it's not healthy. Yeah, it's kind of like, you know, come on, girls, showbiz. But it's like they're in Georgia or something.
Speaker 5: Right, and they're so young.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, gosh, yeah, it's not right.
Speaker 5: I seen I saw some Golden Bachelor's bachelorette ladies the other night.
Speaker 3: Really jingle. You just have watched enough to where you recognize, oh.
Speaker 5: Come on, No, they're like the stars of this season, the Golden Bachelorettes. It's like the because this is the first season where they're they're ladies that are a bit older. Yes, and yeah, they were great. They were so funny.
Speaker 1: I loved the lady that on the first episode is like I shouldn't be here.
Speaker 4: That was like classic y Susan. She was there.
Speaker 5: I met her. Really is she the one who was like I hear I can take six inches. That woman she made a sex joke and this is such a good joke. She she was like yeah, and then on the finale she's like, my son was very mad. I made the six inches joke. And if I had known you'd be mad, I would have never said that. I would have said eight inches. I was like, hey, man, that's a great that's a great joke. That's a structurally part. Yeah, it's a great joke.
Speaker 3: And you actually.
Speaker 5: We were yeah, like pre jingle Ball talking to them, and my boyfriend are like, we don't even need to see the show. That was the show. That was such a good show.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's really good.
Speaker 5: You know. I used to work at the Butcher's Daughter in New York, so I actually saw a lot. I would say I saw more celebrities there, sure, Yeah, anyone good Like I saw Leonardo DiCaprio there. I waited on Taylor Swift there and Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Taylor Swift is about as I mean as it gets. I assume that she's never even in public exactly.
Speaker 5: That's why I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so did she sneak in a back door?
Speaker 5: She didn't. It was close to closing time, and I remember I was working at double so it's kind of helpful because I was so tired. I was just like, what are you want? Yeah, and it was pretty empty by the time she got there, and then by her by the time she left, people were starting to realize and then she just kind of like snuck out a little early.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think they've planned it that way?
Speaker 5: That they came late, you mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like yeah, they could tell no one was in there or anything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Carliclous used to come in all the time, so I wonder if she kind of knew the patterns of the place and told her whatnot.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll never forget being in a coffee shop in Venice Beach near where I used to live. And you're a girl I was for years and now I'm an east Side boy and I love Yeah, you got the zipper. I've been hardened by the city. Yeah. No, that's soft sea boy that I used to be no longer. But a girl's voice. I thought it was someone doing a Paris Hilton impersonation that was like, that shirt is hot. She said that to me, and I'm like, oh, come on, don't you would be. But it was actually her and she just was complimenting my thrasher shirt, just randomly. Yeah, And she was just in a coffee shop with some other large men like bodyguards. But I didn't know what was really her, just because it's just a normal persons.
Speaker 5: Great a wild way to live, Like, guess it's just got to be to have bodyguards around you at all times.
Speaker 3: And this was years ago when when probably people were even hard for her to walk around. But she said my shirt was hot.
Speaker 1: I thought that was It makes me like her?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because what if I's a weird Oh you want to get your phone number? I might be that person. She was putting her.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you might be that person.
Speaker 3: I didn't ask, Yeah, I did I use that voice.
Speaker 5: She has eight.
Speaker 1: Like a weird little playing card.
Speaker 3: They have a whole deck of cards, like for desert Storm of Stalkers.
Speaker 4: Unless I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I turned down the right street, but it felt right.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: You're clothes, But no cigar is one more? It's it's fact a few more if I'm correct. I think you slipped across the main road. Oh so I might even suggest that you so.
Speaker 4: That you drive you all the way home.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say, back up here, there's a car coming.
Speaker 1: I think I can flip it around.
Speaker 4: Once we know what this car is doing.
Speaker 5: I think you can flip it around.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to use your bathroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on in too.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the movie that you were in?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, Coming Together? It was about this. It was it takes place right in the pandemic and it is about a girl who's super liberal and started cooking up with a guy and then finds out that he voted for Trump. Oh, Sean Klier, he's great. I had a lot of fun and yeah. Eric Borke directed it and wrote it and I think comes out later this later this year, and then you stay straight here and.
Speaker 1: Who is the maga guy.
Speaker 5: His name's Sean Clire. Oh okay, yeah, Sean cler And he's like, couldn't be sweeter and couldn't be more liberal. So it was very cool to watch him transform because I was like, oh, yeah, I buy it, but I know that you are, yeah, the opposite of this. Yeah, but it was trippy being back in like COVID Trump twenty twenty times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do they go all the way? There's are there actors wearing masks and everything sort of.
Speaker 5: But it was like a super It was a sad Waiver project, so it was kind of great because it was just like four It was really a small cast. So me and my roommate in it bomb are just we don't wear masks because we're roommates. And then Sean's character wears a mask, like the first time we meet each other, but then no more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be the hard yeah thing. It's like trying, because there are shows that do it, even the morning shows. It's like still or maybe I'm watching it late, but I don't think so. Now yeah, there's they just kind of and everyone was wearing masks totally. Yeah, because no one wants to see it. That's one of those no one even wants to hear about it. All the jokes that I wrote for my act, I absolutely burned through them quickly. I know, and I understand why. But yeah, no, I can't even believe I'm talking about it now.
Speaker 5: I know people are shutting off the PODCA.
Speaker 3: No, it didn't happen. We are not traumatized.
Speaker 4: Do you want to plug anything else?
Speaker 5: No, watch my special. We talked about my specials. Watch my special. No bydays on Peacock. Watch Coming Together. Hey, this is my boyfriend. Hello, we're doing a pot We scared all be up in a sex.
Speaker 1: A little bit scared.
Speaker 3: Scared him right out of his basketball shirts.
Speaker 5: Oh don't be mad, No, he'll yeah, and then yeah, watch Coming Together one whenever it comes out.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thanks for having.
Speaker 3: Me, Thank you. Yeah, you are a delight.
Speaker 5: Thank you much.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, thanks for.
Speaker 3: You know what. I'm okay, I go through waves, but I can. I can just do it on the way home. Okay, Bye, bye boyfriend.
Speaker 5: Sorry we scared.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 1: D y n A Are he Are?
Speaker 3: This has been an Exactly Right.
Speaker 1: Production produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 3: Mixed by Edson Choy.
Speaker 4: Our talent booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 3: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 4: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n a r Podcast.
Speaker 3: For more information, go to exactly Right media dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome.