Speaker 1: Wow, what a first weekend. Can we just run that weekend back in different forms for the rest of the season. It's Braun, It's Kratz, Cam MABN with us today. Good to see you, Cam and actually Cam. Before we dive into everything, I do want to announce this and we'll get more details tomorrow. You're gonna be hanging out with us on Wednesday night. This is our first ever playback watch party. Yes, Kratz, get jealous, you're not invited to this when I know you have an invitation rejection problem. But I'm gonna invite you to one very soon. I promise. It's on playback. It's at seven o'clock Eastern time. We've done watch parties before. This is Yankees Diamondbacks. We'll be with you for the entire game. Our Pinstripe Territory leader Derek Lewandowski Jesse Friedman, who covers the Diamondbacks. We're going to get both sides of the equation, plus Cam, plus me playing a little point guard, and we'll guide you through the game like an alt cast and you can watch the game with us along the way. So won't be one of those watch parties where we're like, hey, pause. Is everybody at the same point. Everybody's going to be looking at the same thing at the same time. I think you need an MLB dot tv account and then otherwise you should be good to go. So looking forward to that camp and we can actually kind of call a game together, but in our style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I was excited as as soon as I heard about it. I think this is going to give a really good perspective from ex players point of view, guys that cover their favorite teams point of view, and I think this is going to be the first of many to come. So I'm super pumped to be doing it. I'm gonna miss my boy Cratzy Cratzy, I know he'd be great at this as well. But we're gonna knock it out. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Kratz is gonna get his moment. He's gonna get his moment to shine. So we'll get to it. Krats, you can talk about this little four box of photos that helped to describe the weekend before we charge the mound. You want to run us through this.
Speaker 3: I mean, poor lighter got hit in the hitten, the thigh. Let's put it this way. And I wanted to see what happened to the the rest of that rap that Wilson just chewed off of there, And that was a male male patterned tarpness right there, little thinning of tarp by the White Sox. And I wish I had this bat when I played, because clearly it is.
Speaker 1: Duh, dude, are you kidding me? That was it? If you just got to the sweet spot every time, you would have hit dingers every time, and you were always like two inches off the sweet spot. So now we have the torpedoes. Let's dive into that right now, let's charge.
Speaker 4: Talking about.
Speaker 1: This is what this show is made for. But also, torpedo bats are getting ordered in masses this week. Suddenly every bat company is like, everybody.
Speaker 2: Come in.
Speaker 5: I know it's the week, and everybody come in. We need to make twenty million torpedo bats for every baseball player on the planet so they can all hitdingers every time they step up and make any type of contact.
Speaker 1: But Cam, talk us through what you saw this weekend, which obviously just caught storm in Major League Baseball. On Saturday, the Yanks put together a nine homer performance. They scored twenty runs against the Brewers. They swept them this weekend, so great weekend for them. Judge doesn't use this, but as soon as the torpedo bat was revealed and promoted to a worldwide audience via the Yankees broadcast, everyone went nuts in different directions. So what did you think?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, what I thought as a baseball fan watching the game is, I know there are a ton of home runs hit, but I couldn't help. But you know, come to the point of, hey, how many of these fifteen home runs where the pitches middle middle And I'm gonna tell you, out of fifteen of those homers, thirteen of them were.
Speaker 4: Really well executed pitches.
Speaker 2: Ban Rice hit a slide down and end got his hands in, great great swing. Tip your hat, Anthony BOPI got to a pitch up and end inside corner, pulled his hands in, got to it. Other than that, I saw a lot of eighty nine to ninety three. We're talking about in the league where guys are locked in, are you know, taking extra swings and reps to make sure they can hit the fastball?
Speaker 4: And what they got during that Brewer series, what's.
Speaker 2: A bunch of VP. We're talking about the New York Yankees who you know. You look at this lineup and cratzy. I hope he'll agree. And I said it before. Gold Schmidt will be reinvigorated. I think the best version of Jazz Chisholm will be in New York. You have guys like Aaron Judge, Anthony Bopie another year in of experience. They take advantage of mistakes. So before we get to the torpedo bats, let's talk about the Brewers and the mistakes that they made. I'm questioning that pitching staff right now. Nothing overpowering other than Freddy Peralta in that rotation. The bullpen didn impress me at all. How about giving Yankee's credit for taking advantage of a lot of Brewers' mistakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent, and I'll go right to the torpedo bat. Believe me, you can look up at my stats. I could have used a boat or and I probably still wouldn't have gotten Nothing illegal was done. A lot of the videos by prominent people, it's satire. Okay, fans, relax, These bats have been out there for a while. It is hard to hit a big league baseball. It is hard to do it against nester throwing eighty nine cutters up and in, but he only had ninety one on the speedball, which wasn't getting anybody by anybody, and so they didn't have to really speed up or it wasn't that much of a difference, and they brought guys in that most likely aren't in games because they were blowouts. So it compounded. Credit to the Yankees. Credit to the Yankees for taking care of business against a pitching staff that, you know what or minus a lot of velocity. Freddy Peralta, I think struck out seven or eight the first day, gave up a few runs. But you sit there and you go, this, this lineup is good. If they're going to be great, it's not going to be because of torpedo bats. It's going to be because they take their walks, they pass it to the next guy, and they minimize their strikeouts.
Speaker 1: Give the people what they want. Let's bring that Jazz tweet up since that's the most recent one that we've gotten, and I'm sure he's getting all kinds of love from anti Yankee people on socials, he said, Okay, explanation, the barrel is bigger and within MLB regulation. For the idiots that say it's moved to the label you're an idiot. Nobody's trying to get jammed. You just move the wood from the parts you don't use to the parts you do. You're welcome. No more stress for y'all, caam. We also learned about a number of other players that are using bats like this. So even though that mit crazy dude who came up with it for the Yanks looks like a gy, Ryan Jeffers for the Twins was using it this weekend. Junior Camonaro Yondi Diaz, you don't have a torpedo bat.
Speaker 2: Nick Nico Horner was using one yesterday's game. Junior Camario was using it last year. Like Cracy said, these bats have been around. But the point, I just want to make a point. When I came up, all my idols use this CE two seventy one. The sweet spot on the C two seventy one is about from here to here, very small, very little room for era. I realized very shortly I wasn't good enough to use that bat. So one time I was very fortunate enough to come across a guy named Nelly Cruz, one of the better power hitters that we've seen our game.
Speaker 4: He used this bat. This is a n C twenty three.
Speaker 2: Look how much Look how much barrel is on this bat. It goes from here to here, So.
Speaker 4: I know that you using a torpedo bat. This gave me more room for era.
Speaker 2: So guys have been trying to find the right bat for years that will allow them to have more roo for error.
Speaker 4: Like Jazz stated, it's simple.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: They talked about Anthony Voupe.
Speaker 2: But he's a guy that naturally hits the ball down the label a little bit, okay, so let's move that sweet spot.
Speaker 4: The game continues to adjust. They do it in golf with their pitching wedges, with their wedges, with their irons.
Speaker 2: Right, trying to minimize their maximized spin, trying to cut out slices and fades. This is a part of the game. It's within the room. Pratsy said, it's all legal. So just because it's the Yankees there, there's gonna be a bigger fuss about it. But how about you know, guys on the mound do a better job of executing and hey, at the end of the day, the next series coming up is a big one, the Arizona Diamondbacks. They get to see the Yankees the Big Three to see just how much those torpo those torpedo bats really help the Yankees out.
Speaker 4: Still still live, Cratzy.
Speaker 1: Still knocks, still knocks. Wait can I show Trevor McGill's line, because you're getting this via quote right from the New York Post. We put it up on our socials as well. He said when he was asked about the Bats, it's the Yankees, so they'll let it slide. I didn't get to see any video of this, But do you think he was kidding or is he actually you know, a little ticked because he's playing for a small market team thinking that the Yankees get the advantages first, I mean, what do you guys take from this one?
Speaker 3: Go ahead? Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I do know Trevor, and he's the type of guy, good dude. I don't think he was being serious about this very very much. I think, you know, I think all the guys know, all the bats have checked. All the bats go through a process to get approved by MLB to make sure they're you know, they come come up as regulation. I don't think Trevor was too serious. I think he might have just been, you know, making fun of the situation.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I hope he's not that serious.
Speaker 1: Ft fam, I hope you have as much confidence as Penelope right now, who is an avid Spot and Tango fan. Okay, and she uses the code foul crats because this is a personalized dog food subscription service that prevents you, of course from going to the store to pick up the food. And she just gets the highest quality unkibble that is what they're known for. And I know you love the quiz part of it too.
Speaker 3: It's a super quick quiz, but it lets you give them the information and they tailor it to what is needed based on their age, size, activity level, all things that are customed for each and every one of your dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, human great ingredients in that unkibble USDA meat, fruits and veggies that are approved. There no artificial stuff, no preservatives. They've got the exclusive deal for the FT fan for unlimited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash voul use code foul to get fifty percent off your first order. That's spotan Tango dot com slash foul. It's spotan Tango dot.
Speaker 4: Com slat foul quote foul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would hope he's not necessario either. But the model that I Swung from two thousand and six till twenty twenty was an I thirteen. The original I thirteen was Pete Incavillia. Pete Incavillia went straight from college, hitting like forty nine dangers, right to the big leagues. So he said, make me a bat that's exactly like my Oma Hall Classic one whatever. The bat that he used was. So the person who made the billets, the person who took the billets and spun the wooden bats, just made an exact digital replica of his metal bat. The barrel was like two and three quarters or two and five eights. I'm not sure what the barrels were at that time for metal bats, And so the original I thirteen is just a monstrous barrel. They have regulations now the I thirteen is a much skinnier barrel, still long, but much skinnier. So, yes, Trevor McGill, you know, if he's being for real. It was probably said in the heat of the moment because he's since retracted it. But I do like some sarcasm, so I choose to believe this was sarcastic.
Speaker 1: We've had him on the show. We can try and get him back on to talk about this at some point soon. The Yankees also started off Saturday with back to back to back homers. They were like, yeah, sure, let's try Goldsmid at the top, then belly. Then obviously Judge had a ridiculous weekend and we'll talk more about him later on. The offense was clearly humming. Is Vulpi the poster child for something like this cam because you know, when you read some of the stories, they were talking about how he was consistently not hitting the ball on the sweet spot, right, So they said, hey, let's redistribute the weight to make a bat that fits what his strength is. So is it that simple with someone like him? Judge obviously was like, yeah, have you seen what I've done in the past few years. I'm not switching.
Speaker 4: That was the best quote.
Speaker 2: That was the best quote actually, But no, but that's your point, that's your point about Evopee. You know, as I thought about this, I just thought it was genius, right, I thought it was genius When you talk about analytics, and this is where people really get caught up on it, and this is where analytics becomes important. Right, instead of just giving you informations, giving players the right information to maximize their chances to have success. So when you talk about Vopie or somebody understanding, hey man, you get a lot of balls down the barrow, let's just redistribute that weight right there and don't change your thing. Keep doing what you're doing because that's just been your tendency. So uh, you know, I think it's genius. I think, you know, the analytic department should get a lot of credit. And and uh the gentleman who is now with the Marlins who came who I guess came up with the idea for Anthony Vopie. Uh, but I think it's just you know, playing chestnut checkers, staying ahead of the curve. When you talk about all of the information and all of the science behind the game. I think that's just a great job by the Yankees of hiring people to stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 3: There's somebody that you the name is. He didn't have a tremendous career, but he was a big leaguer for four years. Toughy Goosowitch came to spring training in two thousand and twelve and he had this brand new bat that he went to somebody who was like who measured his hands measured his swing speed and everything. It was like an r R one sixty one handle, which is super super thick, and a C two seventy one head. It was like the two things that I hated about bats more than anything in the world. Like it was like the worst bat ever. And I was like, bro, this thing is brutal. First at bat in spring training opposite field. Dinger didn't hit a dinger opposite field the entire season the year before in the minor leagues, and he went up. You think dudes weren't in there at least trying to swing that table leg that he was bringing up there as a bat. Like, guys are gonna try it. Guys are definitely gonna try it if it helps Volpi awesome. Is it gonna make him a thirty home run guy?
Speaker 1: Pump the brakes?
Speaker 4: That's the thing. Yeah. People still forgets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can they think people yet one and it's automatically lead to more sweet spot contact for some guys. Yes, but you guys are mentioning everybody is a different hitter and we don't get into the intricacies like this so often. But that's what we need to do here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know what I can't wait till we get back on here in a month from now.
Speaker 2: When guys are in slumps and they're like, oh, what happened with a torpedo mat, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, because you still have to play the game at some point.
Speaker 2: Pictures we're still in early We're still in late March, about to be in early April. Guys are still working the kinks out. Pictures are start gonna start executing even more. You're gonna see, you know, things start even itself out. I do believe that. So just it's early. The Brewers made a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 4: At some point in his game.
Speaker 2: You had to tip your cap and go, hey, Yankees, way to go taking advantage of the mistakes.
Speaker 4: Aaron Boom, way.
Speaker 2: To go putting ghost from at the top because he's been a Brewer killer his entire career. Hey managing execution and all went into part of it. I don't think the torpedo Bats had a lot.
Speaker 4: To do with it.
Speaker 1: Thirty six to fourteen, they outscored the Brewers. So Dave Simms, our buddy, was on the call for his first series as the voice of Yankees Radio, and his colleague who he sits next to, all year now. Susan Waldman, who is hilarious, was like, are you okay? Are you used to doing this? This is more in one game than the Mariners scored in a month last season. Obviously with some sarcasm, but not too much. She said, here's the tweet. This was after the seventh homer, and eventually they scored twenty and hit nine, but they were at thirteen runs at the moment. She goes, You're not going to know what to do with this. Your old team didn't or thirteen runs in a month. Just a perfect line. That's why she's incredible, so freaking good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the best.
Speaker 3: She's a leasing Mariners catching strays just in the middle of a Yankees Brewers game, and it didn't didn't expect that coming.
Speaker 4: Yes, Susan's she's always been up to date with the time. She continues to impress me. Trolling at its finest.
Speaker 1: Let's go, yes, exactly all right. So coming up next, we'll probably ask a torpedo question to Scott Coleman, our Hammer Territory host one of four, because the Braves could use a few torpedoes. We'll talk to him about them losing four in a row, but You can also get much more on this story with our guy Derek Lewandowski, who of course was talking torpedo bats all weekend long, so check out what he put together this weekend, and also his voicemail show is up there as well, So Pinstripe Territory wherever you get your pods or your shows. The beginning of the year is for Hope. I watched more Marlins Pirates than I would if it was September and they walk off Magic. I gotta say they were entertaining games, But did this say more about the Marlins camp or the Pirates, Because the Pirates to me, need to get off to good starts to put them in a good position they usually do. This is not what you want. This is a team where you at least have to win a series. And also, David Bannar in the ninth inning does not look like he's going to last long with that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm definitely worried about David Bannor. But I'm laughing because I too was watching way more Pirates than Marlins. And I don't know why because I had all the games going, but I kept going back to that series because I was just curious one. I didn't know anybody on the Marlins roster and stuff, for example, in which that's it Derek Hill, my ex teammate.
Speaker 4: I literally knew nobody.
Speaker 2: Else, so I was just curious to see, Hey, who are these new faces and what do they have?
Speaker 4: They have some athletes.
Speaker 2: They are in an athletic bunch, which I do like. But when I look at the Pirates, I'm just so dis pointing at what they.
Speaker 4: Could have done.
Speaker 2: Right when you look at O'Neil Cruz, Paul Skeens, you know, bringing in fam but cutching.
Speaker 4: Rentals, it's like they could have did more.
Speaker 2: So it's just as I watched him, I just couldn't help him just be disappointed. I know what the Marlins are gonna do when you talk about roster construction, I know how they're gonna cut corners, but you watch when you talk about what could be the Pittsburgh Pirates in that division in the central I just really feel like they dropped the ball this season. And that's why you have guys like Paul Skeens using his voice because he's a guy that should because if Pirates fans are watching that, they should be worried and they should be, you know, really questioning do they want to spend money to go see what's out there other than when Paul Skeene takes the bump.
Speaker 3: Oh man, if only they had added an offensive bat that could have added one or two runs this series, they could have swept the series. They could have put the Marlins exactly where they need to be. Paul Skeins put them in a spot. What if they shortened the game at the end of the game with one extra bullpen piece, like they went out and got Spencer Horowitz whose wrist is still not healed up yet. He's a good complimentary piece, not the piece. And to me, the Marlins they're playing for Clayton McCullough. It's the will venable Clayton McCullough. Which team loves their manager? Because both teams are bringing apples in for the teachers so they can get some playing time. Also, Nick Fortes, what a weekend.
Speaker 1: Yes, ft, fam Legends never die. That is the motto for Homage. Go to Homage dot com and get yourself maybe one of these teas. This was one of my favorites from spring training. Got a little Grapefruit League action, nice iconic looking logo and behind me on the back is all the teams that are listed for the Grapefruit League. You've got. Of course, if you're more of an Arizona person, you've got the tea for that too. But Kratz, I just love the way that they give you the highest quality material and then a little vintage action if you're looking for it.
Speaker 3: I love the vintage. I've been a baseball fan my whole life, and teams changed their logos. If you're looking for a logo that your team used to have, Homage is your place to go. Go cop one of the old logos from the Major league teams that maybe they don't use anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Homage dot com slash foul Territory. Go to the website and then use the code foul Territory the name of our show for twenty percent off. If you're a first time purchaser on the website, go check it out. Ftfam better than box scores. Let's get to two series if we can three minutes each. Okay, let's start with the Dodgers. They get their World Series rings. Mookie Betts was out for the first two games in Tokyo. He lost close to twenty five pounds. No big deal. He's got pop two home runs in what the second game of the season, domestically for this team. Just a crazy weekend for them. Cam in my mind, taking on a good Tiger team, and nothing changed for me with Detroit. I heard some people around baseball like, oh, it's the Tigers offense is going to be good enough. I'm like, they're taking on the Dodgers' pitching staff. Okay, and Rokie we covered with Jim Jim Bowden, so if you want to check out our comments on that, then you can go there. But what was your take on Mooki and those flashy rings.
Speaker 2: Well, the rings were sick. I think they're just trying to figure out more designs. The years continue to accumulate and they're going to run out of cool designs. But Mooki, it was just so impressive. When you talk about a guy who was, you know, at his maxweight one eighty, at his max weight, soaking wet, and then you talk about him losing twenty pounds. Listen, he clearly has the weight distributed to his barrel in the right spot because it did not affect any of his pop. Him back in that lineup, they roll, they go the Dodgers continue to be fun to watch. But I purposely wore my Tigers year because I still believe if you watch that series, they have a quality team, good.
Speaker 4: Pitching, and they fight. I think they're gonna have a fun year when it all is said and done.
Speaker 3: Yeah to to homer, Scott. One was a game tie or a go ahead homer, and then one was a game winning homer. Like I mean, the only the Dodgers. The Dodgers are a wagon, as Scott Coleman said earlier earlier in the show, they are a wagon and they're they're that way because they can pitch, they can hit. But for the Tigers, man, you gotta feel good. You went in there against a good pitching staff and you battled them. You had the lead, you didn't hold it. What was their strength going down to the end of the season last year? Their bullpen, their bullpen came out and created chaos, pitching chaos. It's okay if they gave it up right now, it doesn't mean that they're all just one hit wonders. You should be positive. You should be really positive because they didn't add that extra offensive piece in Bregman in you know, Pete Alans are not saying that they were gonna but just the guys that were out there, and they still came in two Dodgers Stadium and still hit the ball very well, had great at bats. So that's a positive for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very competitive series. And obviously it wasn't just the Dodgers coming off the Tokyo Series high, the World Series high. I mean the place was packed because they're celebrating Bob Knightingale gave us some more details on the bling, more than two hundred diamonds on each ring. It not only features the postseason results against the Padres, the Mets, and the Yankees, but it has a row of five diamonds on the interior representing the five run deficit the Dodgers overcame in the fifth inning Game five over the Yankees to win the World Series. As if Yankee fans didn't hear it enough all off season long from buzzed players talking about how the Yankees can't play defense, cam they now have it etched in their rings forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, And I blame this on social media. I think with the back and forth that happened after that World Series. Yeah, I think now too, social media even the organization's social media's they'd get into it right and then it's.
Speaker 4: Like, you know what, how can we really rub this in?
Speaker 2: And even more, let's add those five diamonds for that five run deficit so they can really have something to talk about and complain about.
Speaker 4: I love the pettiness. It seems petty to me, and I love every moment of it.
Speaker 3: I think these rings, the stories behind rings. Obviously a ring is ridiculous. They're gaudy. You know, it looks like this on their finger. You can barely wear it when you go out anywhere. I love the stories behind it. Why do they have that many ring diamonds they have?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think the Phillies one had you know on it. They had the song that they were always dancing on my own. They had that inscribed on the inside or the side. Like there's things that create the championship, that create the team to get to that point, and it's celebrated forever and commemorated forever in those rings.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love seeing every explanation because they don't just go you know, we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Go gold because I think gold looks good.
Speaker 3: I love the explanations of it.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: On the topic of money, this one snuck by because it was the opening week of the season and it was Friday news. Brandon Fought signed an extension with the Diamondbacks five years, forty five million bucks, and then there's an option year that could be added on for twenty one million dollars. So you eat up a little bit of time here so that the arbitration doesn't get expensive, and also get into free agency here with team control limited, no trade clauses in there from twenty thirty to twenty thirty two. That last mutual option at the end is really to help the buyout, right if they end up not getting to a point where he's still with the team and you can buy him out. Nobody ever actually agrees to mutual options. But anyway, Kratz thoughts on Brandon Fought getting locked into this rotation long term. And you know, we can spend a minute here on the Diamondbacks and Cubs putting together a fun series. I mean, they split it. It's good. Both teams said they're pros and cons.
Speaker 3: Would you think, I mean, this Diamondbacks team is fun just to watch, but to me, it looks like they're fun to be on it looks like they have the energy at the Latin end of the bench and it spills over to the American end of the bench, and rate in between are all the pitchers. All the pitchers are out on If you watch any of their games, a lot of their pictures are top step into the game, really excited about being there.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: Zach Gollan probably isn't going to be around, but they just got the best available starting pitcher on the free agent market this offseason. They have MVP candidates and ka Tell Marte and Corbyn Carroll and you have purple hair from Guriel. You sit there and you go, this team wants to win, This team wants to play for each other and the cities behind them. Why would I not sign an extension that's going to guarantee me essentially fifty million dollars with the one year of club option after that, and then I'm thirty two years old. That to me, that is where Brandon Fott did the right thing. And also, two off seasons ago, not our two postseasons ago, they were wondering if this guy was gonna even go three innings for him. Ever since that Philly series, he has just elevated himself and continued to learn and continue to improve. Like it hasn't been that long ago that they were like, I don't know, we could send him down. They sent him down for like a ten or fifteen game stretch during that season and like to get forty five million after a year and a half ago that was happening. Hats off to him for signing this.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, Cam, last thing here. I just want to show you why we'll have the challenge system next year. If we can just flash that of a critical moment in the game that gave count leverage to the Cubs. Perdomo was at the plate. This was the one to zero pitch, right one, and he popped out next pitch, and.
Speaker 2: He was and he was pissed off watching him. I watched that at that too, just so happened. I was going back and forth and I caught it and watching him, he was so disgusted running off the field. Now, I've been in those moments, and I know Cratzy. You know, he's behind the plate, so he's he's always very cordial with the guys that are calling the games. But those moments, man, you know, even this early in the season, they mean so much, right and they and it's so big even from a momentum, a selfish momentum, standpoint right, you want to have the opportunity to you know, pick your team up to come through. So to see that happen. I'm with you, Scott. I was at home, Scott Scotty going like this. I was tapping my own head, like what are we doing? We need a challenge there. But you know, I know a lot of managers like Aaron Boone.
Speaker 4: Some guys didn't feel it. Tito didn't like it.
Speaker 2: But I just think too many important moments happened where we have to be able to get it right and that's egregious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was doing this. It was texting my friends. I was like, this is bs. I can't wait for challenge just the next year.
Speaker 4: Oh true.
Speaker 1: I was at home like, you're right, that is the right motion and it's coming. Someone's gonna get tossed for that, but anyway, it was good series. Danzey Swanson also, if you missed it, made a sick play to end that game as he caught pinch runner Garrett Sampson with a little deck got him back at thirty. He didn't have a play anywhere else, So it was really fun. I watched a good chunk of that series.
Speaker 2: Shout out Ron Thompson too, Pinch Pitcher gotten that bat.
Speaker 4: It was in college. Ron Nelson, Ron Nelson.
Speaker 2: Last time he hit was in what I think twenty eighteen as a short stop in college. So hey, he was ready for the boys too. So shout out shout out to Ryan Nelson on coming up with a big knock.
Speaker 1: And last shout out aohenney O Sparez his NL Player of the week. It was just named four homers in his first three games. Big boy strength from Gino. He's gonna have a big year. Injuries do suck. We'll start with Max schurz Er right thumb inflammation. I mean, he used the word I think danger when he was talking about how he was dealing with this, and he hits the shelf, So we'll go there first. Krats. Now, I don't know a lot about the right thumb, and now that affects everything. Obviously you need that to pitch. But in terms of the recovery timetable, what I do know is that Max Scherzer has gone through a ton of injury issues over the last several years. This is just not what you want to see at the start of the season.
Speaker 3: Right here, right here's your right thumb on a fastball. Now you move it around a little bit, you get a little different movement how that ball comes out. Now you move your curveball, maybe you tuck it in a little bit. Maybe some guy's going to really grip it a lot harder if he throws that change up farther in. Your thumb is like a rudder in a boat. If your thumb is hurting, you don't know the direction of where it's going.
Speaker 4: And Max.
Speaker 3: Max's explanation is reasoning for saying it was dangerous because now if you're not able to manipulate the ball where you want to just with your fingers and your hand, this start to take This starts to take over. That starts to take over. And that's what he was talking about dangerous. I want to trust him. I want to trust every veteran that they know what they need to do to get their body right. I also want to say, probably wasn't going to make thirty two starts this year. This is much better. And the training staff in Toronto vun Chung Jose Ministral epic awesome dudes. They have all the state of the art recovery stuff. If it's possible to get him back quick, that's the place to do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know the difference, Cam is this isn't a team that's going to be in cruise control. There aren't many that can do this. But the Blue Jays need starts from him now. They need to stay in the race all year long. They're not going to run away with anything, forget it vision, even a playoff spot. They were not a good team last year. They have a chance to be a better team this year. They split a series against a pretty good Orioles team, so off to a nice start. I loved Jeff Hoffman shoving it to the Orioles on the last game of the series lit one two three when he was on our show a month ago, say he likes the smoke where the Orioles rejected him because of medical concern So that's all cool, right, there's some vibes to this team, Anthony Santander going from the Oriols to the Blue Jays. But do you feel like they need things to go right at the margins and that includes getting I don't know, twenty starts out of Max Scherzer.
Speaker 2: You know, when they made his deal, I was kind of sharing the thought, the same thought with Cratzy. I didn't think this was a deal to personally put them over the top, right. I thought this was a great move to get maybe twenty starts. I don't think they were necessarily banking on it. At the end of the day, Father Time is undefeated, and I.
Speaker 4: Know this is a thumb issue. Is not an Elboys shoulder.
Speaker 2: But I think more so than even just putting on the onus on Max listen, Jose Burrios has to pitch better.
Speaker 4: He did not pitch good. My brother, George Springer, you know, has to kind of, you know, find some of that old.
Speaker 2: Astros George Springer. You know, they need that offensive guy. You know, he showed that he still can go get in the outfield. The athleticism is still there, but offensively they need him to be back. They need Boba Schette to be back. I think the pitching, I think they have enough in the pitching department, but I think it's gotta line up right.
Speaker 4: They've got to do things that they hadn't done in the past.
Speaker 2: Hit with the runners in scoring position, you know, to our RBIs they did not excel in these areas. So for me, even more so than the pitching Scottie, I think they need to get some of that offense back to really give the pitching staff some confidence where they don't have to go out and be so perfect. So I do think this is a good star splitting that series with the Orioles. I think that's a great place to start up. But I think there's some other guys that I think they need to worry about instead of a you know, forty year old Max Shorer Suresier.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then on the oriol side, they just lost Colton Kowser for potentially a couple months. Again, the thumb is the problem in the case here fractured is left thumb, so he's placed on the il. Dylan Carlson is in the miners. Now he gets called up krats. That's a tough blow for Baltimore. They've got depth. I'm not super concerned about their lineup, but it still sucks to lose a guy who's an above average hitter with a ton of potential.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at Michael Lias now, he's saying, see, we have so much depth. We needed all of those outfielders. We needed to go get Ramon Leriano. We didn't need to go get a frontline starter. Hey, you know what's being tested, Colton Cowser.
Speaker 4: It just sucks.
Speaker 3: It sucks because you put yourself, especially this early, a fractured thumb. You put yourself in a situation all off season. Ah, you know my flexibility and my strength and that flexibility, everything's hitting on all cylinders and you're like, okay, that first series on the turf, I'm gonna make sure everything's hydrated, everything's going well. And then you fracture your thumb. Ain't nothing you can do about. You lift every weight in the world, you can go to every yoga studio in the world, and fracturing your thumb ain't gonna have nothing to do with it. But hopefully Dylan Carlson's ready. He might have gotten like one at bat, two at bats down in Norfolk.
Speaker 4: No, he's ready.
Speaker 2: You know, he's looking at chops. You know, you know, I got no cratzy in our head. We're all ready to get out of Triple A. So I think I think it's what you said, ain't done a good job of having prospects now dealing cross.
Speaker 4: Is going to get his opportunity right. We're gonna continue to see if this was.
Speaker 2: The route to go right, stack to keep the prospects around, give them opportunity, because moments like this happened, guys get banged up.
Speaker 4: That's why you always hear every single year.
Speaker 2: It takes the whole entire forty man roster and at times from front office moves as well.
Speaker 4: So it's a long year.
Speaker 2: Like you said, I hate to see this because Cowser was really starting to look like he was figuring it out right. He was really looking like that guy that's going to give you a party at bat. Pretty good defender. I really like where he's I love his size, I love everything that he brought.
Speaker 4: So it is a blow. But again, this is why they stacked their organization with a bunch of prospects.
Speaker 2: They didn't get rid of them, to give them opportunity, just to continue to save money and see what these young guys have and also to possibly showcase him right because we still don't know. This is also a showcase moment for Dylan Carlson m M.
Speaker 1: And if it doesn't work out for him, Kobe Mayo. Right now, Kratz is like yo I can play in the outfield. I mean, if he goes and tears it up in the minors for a couple of weeks, he'll get his opportunity again. When you've got an injury like this and this isn't the day to day like we mentioned, I mean, this could be a couple months for Kawser. Okay, next up. This one sucks because this player has really had trouble staying on the field. Josh Young hits the shelf for the Rangers and they had to make a move too because Josh Smith got banged up. That's that's next in line to fill his spot. Next spasms for Josh Young. It's expected to be the minimum time. This from our friend Gared Sandler does a great job with all the Rangers coverage, but cam Josh Young has not been able to stay healthy, which is a shame. Texas obviously missed him last year among other players. But he was really really good a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he came on the scene. You know, I think he was a little older as a rookie, but he showed that he was experiencing. We watched him in the playoffs come up clutch. So to see this blow to see the history of injury that the Rangers have had. This is a team that you just want to see healthy because when they're healthy, they can compete. They can do everything on the field. And not to mention, not only was he, you know, outstanding offensively, he was one of the better gloves at third base.
Speaker 4: He I mean that left side of that defense was locked up.
Speaker 2: When we talk about Seeger and Young Jong at third base, I mean that also is an area where they hurt when they lose his defense.
Speaker 4: So I hate to hear this for this guy.
Speaker 2: And you just hope at some point he can get things to go his way because next spasms, anything, neck, back, you just you always worry about.
Speaker 3: Like you said on Friday, hurt my neck in my back. Now I'm going on the Now I'm going to ten day. I l I don't know, man, I ain't never hurt my net. That would suck. I don't know what that feels like. But yeah, listen, this team's offense is stacked when you have Josh Smith being able to fill in get it. He's hurt like this is why this team I think is one of the consensus picks, maybe the only consensus pick to win a division on FT here, I think everybody had the Rangers because I think just what the offense can do, and obviously Bruce Bochi can just wins, that's what he does every other year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this division's gonna be pretty good, you know. I mean the Angels bounce back, they took a couple of games from the White Sox. Will they improve by several games most likely? Right, which hurts the top and how you can pad your stats. Then let's go to the They should be better. They split a series this weekend with the Mariners and that's in Seattle. They should be better. Cam The Mariners probably will be about the same because they always plan to be about fifty four percent with their win percentage, so they should be very solid and competitive. And then Houston is definitely still gonna be good too. So I do think, yes, the Rangers are gonna win the division. But this is a pretty good division from one through four, probably now with a chance to make the playoffs, and probably one through three with a chance to make the division to win the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like watching this division because you have everything from the A's as a startup, like you don't know what you're gonna get you have. The Astros is like the Dynasty team, kind of on the way out, But are they still gonna be good Mariners? Elite pitching. The Rangers offense is just besides last year they couldn't hit a heater. I think a Doli's garcia is gonna be ridiculous. So this offense is awesome to watch. And the Angels, I mean, they have Mike Trout, so I'm like, I love the fact that these games are shorter so I can stay up and not not go to bed at one in the morning and watch all these West Coast games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to add on to that too. One sneaky move and.
Speaker 2: They talk about this division being extremely competitive, one move I really enjoyed. And I think this team, and there's still a couple pieces of way, may be one more position player. But I'm gonna tell you one thing that's gonna go unnoticed and there's no stat for it. The intensity that Luis Severino brings to the Oakland A's. I think Mark Kottsee, for one, is going to love it. I love the moves that they made to.
Speaker 4: Lock up Rooker and lock up b Low.
Speaker 2: I really think that the A's was missing a little bit of that intensity, Like it was fun to watch Luis Severino out there fired up and watch those guys kind of rally behind them. So when you talk about that team as well, I think they're gonna be more fun to watch and people actually realize they were fun to watch last year.
Speaker 4: If you watch A's baseball.
Speaker 2: Because extremely competitive, fall hard to the end. But I love what Luis san Reno has brought to that team. It's a fire where you almost wish you could be on the field every day.
Speaker 1: Let's slap cratsats you're up first.
Speaker 3: I mean you have to at least wear it once. The Big A the Braves hopefully they're hopefully they're going to continue their ways and get blown out by the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 1: The Big A is the Angels.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but now it's the Big A. That's that's at the Big A.
Speaker 1: That's right. The Big as the Braves when they're in the battery. But they're not there for a few more games, So good luck.
Speaker 3: To wait to get home.
Speaker 4: Question of the day, how will they feel to return home one in six? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that would be positive, that would be positive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Next question is going to be Braves fans mad about how the schedule makers gave them the Padres and Dodgers on the road to start the year. But come on, they'll be okay, they'll be okay. Deep breaths. Anyway, later on we're talking prospects on Hot Sheet, and after Hot Sheet is May Day. Also, Dodgers' Territory is coming up. If you're watching on YouTube, you'll have Dodgers Territory into Hot Sheet, which we just showed you there into May Day, Trevor May's new weekly show. Just making sure that everyone who's tuned in now during the season knows everything that's going through the FT Network. We cover the game on a local and a national level. We have fifteen shows part of the FT Network and one more is going to be announced later on tonight Slash Tomorrow. Yes, we've got a new one and it'll tie into something that FT is doing later this week. So there are your hints and we're going to step aside here online. We'll stay on for a few minutes and get ready for Dodgers' Territory. If you're watching on TV, we love you, hope you had a great first weekend watching ball, And I mean we got to just about everything. If we were missing your team, then you know they didn't have torpedo bats, so we'll talk about them tomorrow. Okay, first bet offer up to fifteen hundred dollars paid back in bonus bets if you don't win on the BETMGM sportsbook app or at betmgm dot com. So really, you could go even higher than I did if you're signing up for the first time, and if your first bet loses, you get the money back in bonus bets. Gambling problem more concern called one eight hundred gambler