Speaker 1: They're attempting to be the Rays. You want to know what the Marlins have that the Rays don't have two World Series Craig, So why do they want to be the Rays? Why can't they just be the Marlins?
Speaker 2: Here we go, Craig Mish joining us, always making us look bad with the background there, Craig. Great to have you on. You can follow Craig at Craig Mish if you're listening later it's m I s h. You can hear him on sports Grid, also part of Harold Sports Craig. Great to Greg.
Speaker 1: And where is that is that Lauderdale? That's not Miami, you're not.
Speaker 3: That's clearly Miami, right, Yeah, good call. So I live in Hollywood, which is in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I did spend a lot of time in Miami more or less grew up there. But yeah, now I'm like in in between there, so that I think that I think that is like in the Aventura area.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, he's living that Hollywood lifestyle, near the scene.
Speaker 1: Him and Mike Napoli, him and Mike Napoli, or near the horses right in Hallan. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So Craig.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have some fun here. We're gonna try to obviously spin a little bit of positivity into what it's about to begin here for the Marlins, let's hit the storylines. Fancy little front end, all right, ten minutes, four topics, perpetual rebuilds, they tore it down again. New manager who is Clayton McCullough. Coming from a very very winning atmosphere. So that's a good sign. Can the Marlins turn themselves into the race? Huge, huge question mark, but also massive goal, right. That is why Peter Bendix is here. They said, can you do that here? It's very close Tampa to Miami, and that includes a little Norby and Stours conversation and then pitching Haven Marlin's, you know, looking for some starting pitching. We had Lancelin on the show yesterday who said they haven't called, so it'd be cool if they call called him or other veterans for a little depth for that starting rotation. Okay, so let's start with the overall outlook here. Sandille Contrey's coming back. But since he's pitched Craig, he's missing some friends. What happened?
Speaker 3: Well, they started off the season the worst start I can ever remember in the history of the Marlins franchise, and you know, Peter Bendix, the president of the Marlins at that time, who was hired, recognized that very early on in the season and decided at that point he didn't believe they would make the playoffs. Traded Luis Raia, as everybody else got traded in July, and then everybody who was you know, sort of left over from a veterans' point of view, was traded this offseason. So, as you said, Scott, the goal is to do things very differently, and as we've seen in the off season, you can hear a pin drop. Has been very, very quiet, quietest offseason I can ever remember, and I go back to nineteen ninety three because I've lived here for a long time. So yeah, their goal is to draft, to develop internal structure, infrastructure, data analytics, all of the things that some people love and some people hate that we love to debate about. That's the direction the Marlins are going. And so Sandy will start opening Day, He'll start against Paul Skeens. I think it's the best pitching matchup in baseball that day. What happens after that, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Scott.
Speaker 3: But that'll be a great day.
Speaker 4: I mean, they put in Clayton McCullough. He's done nothing but winning in LA. But is there a chance is there an opportunity for a manager to help an offense that lost Jake Berger and was already in the bottom of the league in stats, Because normally a manager comes in, you're like, ah, the way he used the bullpen when he was over at this team, it could really help. But and Clayton McCullough helped the offense.
Speaker 3: Well, Eric, look, I mean their offense was dreadful last year. I mean, I honestly don't know how much worse it could possibly be. I mean, people forget that even with Jake Berger and with Jazz Chisholm, and with Luis Rias for a couple of months and Jesus Sanchez and all of the names that they don't have anymore, they were still one of the worst offenses in baseball. And that even goes back to their playoff season two. So yes, he's got a very tall task ahead of him with this new hidden group that is there. You know, a lot of data analytics and new ways to view things in terms of course statistical analysis and war and expected war. I mean this is just a new day, So I mean McCullough from all indications, is very much online Eric with the way that the organization sees data and wants to implement it in the future from the major league to the minor league levels. They've basically wiped out all of their minor league coaches too, So this is going to be integrated from the bottom all the way to the top. And whether or not it works remains to be seen. But that's the attempt.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the attempt, they're attempting to be the Raise. Peter Bendix came over and he wants to make him the Raise. You want to know what the Marlins have that the Rays don't have two World Series Craig, So why do they want to be the Rais? Why can't they just be the Marlins? Why does every smallish market, even though Miami's a big market, want to be the Raise? Why can't they just why can't Peter Bendix come over from the Rays and I know he's going to put his own spin on it, but again, Marlins, every team wants to be the Let's be the Raise. Let's be the Raise. Let's be the Raise. Marlins have won twice. The Marlins have never or the race. The Rays have never won any times. So how about we just continue to do what we were doing building because they had skipstre Marker, they had a nice team. Why do they want to start completely over from scratch and become the Rays from the start?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: AJ, Look, that's the question that I think a lot of fans in South Florida have. They look back and they see they won the World Series in nineteen ninety seven, They see they wanted it in two thousand and three, made the postseason in the twenty twenty season, and then you remember a couple of years ago with Skip there at the Helm, they made it too. But generally, AJ, all of those seasons in between were pretty horrible and they would like to have it a little bit more consistent now. Whether or not that leads to another World Series, I think remains to be seen. But it is going to be extremely tough for the Marlins to continue to go about the way that they have been doing it, even with those World Series seasons and compete in that division with the talent that is around in that division, money that's being spent there. So I think trying something different and seeing if it works is definitely the way that they're going to go by the way they tried this several years ago when they bought the team and Derek Jeter took over and traded everybody that they had in Stanton and Yelich and Zuna, all these players got a lot of young players back in return. Really outside of Sandi al contrad at the time, Zach Allen didn't really get anything back in return for those players. So here we go again. They're going to try it one more time, but doing it in a different way again, the way that the Rays have done it, you know. Again remains to be seen if it'll work or not, but that's the attempt.
Speaker 4: Two best ways to improve the young pitching that you have in a mire, in a you know, even in a Yuri Perez type of way is to keep them healthy, but also not overexpose them and put them around veterans. So do they have a good recruiting chip in the sense that they can tell a veteran, hey, come here, recoup your value, gain value in this huge pitchers park, or is it something that they're just gonna say, all right, young guys, go ahead, play your game.
Speaker 3: As far as pictures are concerned, I think they still could potentially be in the market for one. It still remains to be seen if they're going to pull the trigger there. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe a fifty to fifty shot, but I know that they really like the first three pictures in that rotation with Sandy, Ryan Weathers and as you see there, and Edward Caberra too. Beyond that, as you said, Eric gets very much a mystery so from behind the plate, as you guys know, yes, I do think that they could use, as we would say, a one year mercenary innings eat or someone along those lines. They still have time, you know, spring training, even though pictures and catchers are reporting. This is not unusual for baseball at this time where guys do sign late February and even into March. So I'm sure as the spring goes on they'll sort of determine which direction they end up going from there. But they're very content with the first three that they have. And let's also not forget at some point this season and by the way, I know he said July, but I could see Yuri Perez coming back sooner than that, and he's a superstar in the making, So maybe June for him as well. But yeah, I mean, that's not a lot of innings from the previous season going into this season, and so they're gonna have to figure out one way or the other. They were starting anybody and everybody last year.
Speaker 1: At the end, all right, Craig, last thing for you to let you go. I don't know if you can see your background when we go to a one shot of you, do you see the background of yourself? I don't know if we can we kick his one shot around your little square? Can you see that? What it is? No? What am I missing? No? It's the statue? Can we bring back the statue? The pleas and left you? I know it's outside, but can we bring act I know outside in the ballpark it was like the most Miami thing ever. If you go to Miami, expect dart Deco. They went. They had the green walls, the aquarium. It was cool. Now they have the dark blue walls, no statue, and they have I don't know what they have exactly, have a roof that works forks.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful stadium. But yeah, a j I don't think that's coming back. You know, they spent millions of dollars to move that thing out, by the way, millions dollars.
Speaker 1: Right, they could have bought her like a quality starting pitcher.
Speaker 3: For that could have got blow.
Speaker 2: I think that, you know, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Uh But but look, I mean some people loved it, some people hated it, and you know, a lot a lot has happened in between then and now. But I don't see them moving at a second time. By the way, every day at three oh five pm, the thing goes off. I don't know if you know that. Three oh five, Yeah, every day.
Speaker 2: Wow, makes sense. Three oh five that's the air for anyone wonder. I do know well, and I do think it was super petty, okay, because I know Derek wanted to, you know, kind of had his little battle with David Sampson and took it out. But not worth the money. That money could have gone elsewhere, and it certainly did not affect wins and losses on the field. I am with aj. I liked it. Derek's tenure was a failure. So anyway, Craig, great to have you on. Appreciate the time. Everyone go give Craig a follow. He is the guy dialed in on the Marlins at Craig Mish. Good to see you, Craig, Great to see you guys, Thanks for having me. All right, here we go. This is actually a good point in our chat from Mark. Behind the scenes here. Miami Metro Area's second largest in the Southeast, ninth largest in the US, Miami Metro Area largest economy, urban economy in Florida. Not a small market, just small minded. You know. It actually makes Miami feel small with the way that the Marlins operate. I think they're bad pr for the city because you look at them if you live somewhere else and you're like, oh, Miami must be like this tiny little nothing with not much of a booming economy. I mean, they can't even afford to sign a player for the entire offseason and they have to rebuild after one year of the playoffs. Poverty, poverty franchise. Man, only there was more action in that area to be able to support the team. Oh wait, there's so much money in that area. They just can't figure out the game plan. The game plan is obviously they need someone else to run it. But you can't control that in sports. So poor Marlins fans have to keep suffering. I watched many Marlins games during my time living in Miami. Anyway, quick quote from kode I Senga while we have a minute. He did not talk to Roki Sasaki during his recruitment process, already was decided where he was going. He said he thinks the weather in LA is a big factor for Japanese players and the reason why the Mets haven't added another top Japanese free agent. This is a great quote. We need to build a roof. He's right, guys, especially if you're Rokie aj Roki was going to sign for about the same money anywhere. He already wanted to join his friends in LA and then he does a little weather check with La versus New York. He's like, wait, I'm gonna have to pitch in rain outs and get all screwed up and rain delays.
Speaker 1: No thanks, most as my kids would say, boomer thing I've ever heard. Okay, because are you kidding me? Haroki, Kroota or not? Coroda? Sorry. Tanaka had no problem signing in New York and did great. Matsuzaka went to Boston. He did fine. No mo, when you got to Boston he did fine. I just think this is a cop out. This is a this is this is a terrible take by code. I singa. You play in cityfield, which is new. They're not putting a roof on it anytime soon because Steve Cohen doesn't have another billion to spend. I don't think after you spend almost a billion on one soda and all the players he's brought in. But this is just this is just a bad take. Like, you play in the field, you play in and you deal with it. That's it. I mean, yeah, of course every team would like to play in a don't, but you know what, you don't because baseball's meant to play outside and in New York, they want their summers. They want to enjoy their summers, so you got to put up with a bad month here and there. I don't think this has effected anything. I just think this is a bad take.