Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube Now.
Speaker 2: Joining us for extensive comments is loud brainer. We are thrilled that she is here, young duty at Wesleyan in Connecticut and up to Harvard and her public service, and really were the more policy effort? Well, I'm dying to ask you this question. We just head on the show Magnificent Stephanie Stancheva out of Harvard, and then I see a Nobel Prize of Claudia Golden out of Harvard. What was it like for you to have the courage to do economics a number of years ago? How lonely was it to be a woman in economics back in the time of Laurence Summer at the school.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say that by the time I got to Harvard, obviously we did have some women on the faculty. Claudia Golden arrived while I was there, Susan Collins was there for a period of time. There were some really outstanding young women professors, and you know, it was an exciting time. I care a lot, of course about how we use economics to better outcomes in policy, and so it was just great to be studying with some of the people who have really shaped economic policy making in the preceding decades.
Speaker 2: Doctor Braner, I was laying out the differences between a Clarida and a Brainer, where you look at Dsge and all the mathewness of Clarida and Gertler, and you were the really historic policy the effort of getting things done in economics color. The nature of the uncertainty now that the FED has to face is we bounce from copper down the most in forty years to a non printed India trade agreement. What's the nature of our present uncertainty?
Speaker 3: So, on the one hand, we know a lot about how tariffs generally affect the economy. We had a little trial run back in twenty eighteen when Trump, the first Trump administration, imposed tariffs on China, mostly on China as well as steel and aluminum. We do know that tariffs raise prices. Ultimately, that that time between when tariffs are imposed and when you can see it actually in prices varies a great deal, but the last time through four to six months. And we also know that tariffs are like a supply shock and they can disrupt the labor market. So we know all of that. What we don't know, and where this uncertainty is so important is twofold. First of all, we have not seen tariffs at these levels for decades. These are smooth, holly level tariffs in many cases, and so the extent of the changes we just haven't seen. And secondly, of course, the administration is still in the process of telling us what those tariff levels are in those trade agreements are not yet very firm or very clear.
Speaker 4: Low. What did you take away from the FED minutes yes the FED news yesterday, the meeting yesterday from Fed Chairman Jpow What was your takeaway?
Speaker 3: So the takeaway I think was that the large majority of members of the Open Markets Committee want two more months of data and they will get it before the next meeting in September. That they are still quite concerned about potential risks to the upside to inflation, which has been running high over the last few years, and of course that means they have to be particularly attentive to inflation expectations. But that they're also attentive to potential weakening. And of course we got the GDP report on the same day, and if you look underneath the hood, there has been quite a bit of moderation in those core domestic components, particularly the consumer, over the first half of the year. So they are balancing those two potential risks, and they really want that additional data before they make a decision to move further potentially on cutting rates.
Speaker 4: You know, LOI, We've had a number of guests over the last several days, maybe even weeks, say, well, it just kind of feels like a year ago, or maybe the Fed decided not to move in July when the data suggested maybe they should, and then they were forced to maybe go a little bit more than they wanted to do in September. You feel like the Fed might be behind the times here a little bit in terms of cutting rates.
Speaker 3: So I think there is always that risk that the Federal Reserve, in the effort to get more data to be more certain, waits a little longer than would have been ideal with the benefit of hindsight. But we already were talking about just how much uncertainty the evolving tariff landscape is injecting into the outlook for the dual mandate for both inflation and unemployment, and that explains, I think why they are stuck waiting.
Speaker 2: I've got two things to talk about here, doctor brainer that I think are important. What a nasty I'll ed by you in the Washington Boast a few weeks ago it was the close ara out Low Brainerd going after the president. The treatment of chair of Chair Pole love Brainerd. Is things smoothed down a little bit even with Trump treats even the morning is well, does the industry have mister Powell's back?
Speaker 3: Well, Look, I think what has been surprising to me is to hear the President talk about lowering rates as though it is the Federal Reserves responsibility to lower rates for US Treasury debt management. And that, of course is exactly how central banks go wrong in emerging markets like Turkey. When the President the administration lean on a central bank to prioritize lowering the cost of borrowing to the government, it undermines the inflation control credibility of the central bank, and so for me, of course, what is very important is that the Federal Reserve continue to have that credibility for inflation fighting. Now it's more important than ever, having just come off period of high inflation and of course facing some inflation from tariff, so that independence is more important than ever.
Speaker 2: Well, I look at the tariff you know what's changed since your Washington Post op ed. I look at the tariff debate, erning Tedesky doing great work at the budget lab at Yale, allile Yale's to college in New Haven. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but you know, I look lol at the tariffs now, JP Morgan modeling eighteen percent, clearly Smoot Hawley nineteen thirty three, maybe back to the Gilded Age. Will the president be overcome by events if we see job jobless increase, if we see GDP decrease, do you just assume at some point, like mckinnley adjusted, and I think it was nineteen oh one, is Trump going to have to adjust to the failure of the magnitude move in tariffs?
Speaker 3: Well, it's very hard to say right now. Of course I don't have any insights into that, but I would say what is clear to me, because I have been listening carefully to the Treasury Secretary and the President, is that they see tariffs as a way of raising revenues, and they have a very aggressive revenue target for tariffs. They want to raise hundreds of billions, three hundred billion dollars a year in tariff revenues, which is an order of magnitude larger than what we have seen recently, and that means that tariff rights have to be at those high smooth Haley levels with the attendant potential effects on the labor market. And we've already seen substantial slowing in the second quarter in terms of underlying private domestic final demand. Consumers look like they are feeling a little bit cautious. We can see that even in today's personal consumption expenditures day, which really was very modest growth. So yes, I do believe there's some risk that by trying to achieve those very aggressive tariff revenue goals, they really are putting a big dampener on what could be a very dynamic and exciting period in American growth.
Speaker 4: Lyle, the FED has that dual mandate, of course, of full employment and price stability. Do you think one is taking a precedent over the other these days within the Fed?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we heard the chair talk about both sides of the dual mandate yesterday risks to the upside potentially on inflation, and we see it in this morning's preferred Fed inflation gauge. You see those core goods going back up again after a long period where they had been coming down. But of course you also see it in the labor market, where private hiring has really ground to a halt. Now super market is in balance. As the chair told everyone yesterday multiple times, the unemployment rate has remained low, and that in part reflects the fact that labor demand is falling at the same time that labor supply is also being constricted on the immigration front. So it remains in balance. But I do worry about downside risks to employment.
Speaker 2: Love bringing it a young upstart economist up at Harvard. His name is let me look here, Jason Furman. I think you may be familiar with Jason Furman. I love what he's doing onannualized analysis. Folks out moments ago on Twitter from Professor Firman driving x ten up at Harvard. One month core PCE three point one percent, three months two point six percent, six months annualize three point two percent, twelve months two point nine percent, I'm sorry, Rick Michigan and John B. Taylor at Stanford, those guys maybe policy they're on different pages. They're in the same page that core pc inflation all is too high, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, the core PCE inflation is too high, and it's going, unfortunately in the wrong direction. That is the bind. So you know what we were seeing before a lot of the tariffs started to get imposed was actually, finally services inflation were coming down. Core goods had already come down, and so core inflation was trending down towards the target. Now it is detouring with those core goods lifting it again. And core services actually in the last two months were a little stronger than we had previously seen. So it's moving in the wrong direction, and of course that's a concern.
Speaker 2: And Paul I can't emphasize enough the granularity of these are full time pros, heavyweights analyzing the tariff impact, guessing out to Labor Day, guessing out to Christmas, guessing into next year. And the answer is nobody's talking disinflation.
Speaker 4: Disinflation. How about the consumer, lyle, how do you, given the backdrop, so to Tom just outlined here, how do you think the consumer is these days.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got some insights into consumers and their feelings about both the economy currently and their expectations through some of the consumer surveys, and of course a little bit less negative, but still quite negative relative to where it had been before the tariff agenda started rolling out. They seem to be worried that prices just are still too high, and of course that now is creeping back into more goods. But housing has been a problem for a while, and that goes to the President's concerns, valid concerns. I think that mortgage rates are quite high and then the housing market is frozenly.
Speaker 2: One more thing, I'll be quick here. This is the magic of Twitter, if they would get if they get their ex straightened out. I've got Jason Furman, Steve Rattner, and Ernie Tedesky back to back to back in my feed. Lyle, this is stunning from Ernie Tedesky. Now at Yale, durable goods have risen by one point seven percent other than the depths of COVID. That's the strongest six months rise since nineteen eighty seven. Does Washington understand that, Lyle brainerd So, I think Ernie is doing a great job pointing out the granular.
Speaker 3: Effects which have to be in part reflecting tariff effects. And when we get pronouncements from the White House, sweeping pronouncements that a country is going to see twenty five percent tariffs, nineteen percent tariffs, you really wonder whether they've had the time and the bandwidth to do the kind of detailed analysis that would allow them to see that some of those tariffs they're imposing are actually going to disadvantage American producers because input prices are going up. It's going to actually not only hurt American consumers, but in many cases, like in US domestic auto producers, is actually making their supply chains more expensive and will make them less competitive.
Speaker 2: This has been fabulous. I got goosebumps right, that's great. Love, Brainerd, thank you so much with Richard Clarita in this hour on our nation's economy and what it means for us. Thank you to ninety two nine FM Boston or Boston News Bureau for bringing us doctor Brainerd. This morning.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday after noons from seven to ten am Eastern. Listen on Applecarplay and Android otto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We are honored to have with us Richard clarda always with Columbia University, with Pimco as well. The former Vice chairman of the Fed, Ian Lincoln at Bank of Montreal, the iconic Bank of Canada, just published and he said, I'm sorry, every inflation series is ticking up. Do we see tariffs in the minutia of price change already? Do we see tariffs now?
Speaker 5: Sure, they're starting to show up to some extent in the inflation data, in particular in those sectors exposed to tariff. Goods prices are moving up. The overall indexes are are coming in more or less in line with expectations because services inflation continues to fall.
Speaker 4: So if you're the Fed, yeah, what did you hear yesterday from our chairman? Yes, he send it a little bit more hawkish than maybe the statement.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Harry Truman. I think once said he wanted he wanted to meet the one armed economist because he kept getting on the one hand, on the other hand, I think that was that's what we got yesterday from from chair Powe. You know, very balanced. I think the revealing moment was when he was asked by a reporter about whether or not the dots at the June meeting were indicative of where the committee was where they showed two cuts this year. He basically said, look, that was six weeks ago. We're not paying attention to that. So he clearly, I think, came in with the goal of giving himself and the committee optionality in September to pause or to cut, and I think I think he achieved that for sure.
Speaker 2: I got to get this side of the way. I have to ask, have you been contacted by the Trump administration about future employment in our central Bank? I have not. Okay, we're waiting on it. There was Psias Glenn Ubberd the same question at the same silence treatment as well. In your work in folks, this is wicked fancy mathematics called dynamic stochastic general equilibrium theorem. Uncertainty is outside the system. It's what we call exogenous. Our listeners, our viewers are living indgenous uncertainty right now with all of these shocks to the system led by tariffs. How do you color the uncertainty that the PhDs, the FED face.
Speaker 5: It is elevated. I think perhaps less elevated than it may have been after Liberation Day. I think, in particular, I think we have a better sense and firms have a better sense of where we're going to end up in terms of the new trade regime. And importantly also we now sort of know the parameters of fiscal policy, tariff revenue, the deals that are being caught in terms of investment in the US. So there is uncertainty, but I think it's moving in both directions. For the economy, do we have clarity?
Speaker 2: I mean, I look at the Yell budget lab Ernie Tanowsky and that crew yesterday, Bob Michael modeling eighteen percent blended work at JP Morgan maybe up to twenty percent as well. How do people like you that have actually studied the history give us I like to say, there's Hubert Heaver tariffs, we're back to the thirties, We're back to FDR and some you look at the series, we're back late McKinley like, how do you process the magnitude change in tariffs?
Speaker 5: Well, sure, and we haven't seen we haven't seen trade policy like this in a very long time. I think right now I would say the economy's shown good resilience so far, both both in the labor market and on the GDP side. But I think anyone who pretends to have a precise model or estimate. But I think importantly what's going on here, Tom is you know that the Trump folks are really trying to change the trading regime, and it's early days in that, but I think that's an important part of the story as well.
Speaker 4: So, Richard, we had two FED Board governors dissented yesterday.
Speaker 5: Both very good friends of mine and former colleagues.
Speaker 4: So I FED people tell me that's kind of something we should pay attention to that.
Speaker 2: What did you make of it?
Speaker 5: It's the first time I think in thirty plus years that two governors have dissented. Reserve Bank presidents dissent more and more frequently. Both Chris Waller and Mickey Bowman, I think before the meeting indicated that that was going to be their preference, and I think that I'm sure they came into the meeting with sound and reasonable arguments for beginning rate cuts right now. We'll probably hear from them after the blackout is over as well. But share Powell also acknowledged that he thought it was a good discussion at the committee.
Speaker 2: Do they negotiate descents like if there's someone who's the third descent? Did they say, now you can wait to the next meeting. Come on, you know, not at the table in the Eckles building. Wait the tables under construction fore right now? But is there a discussion within the propriety of American we're all on the same page economics that we almost negotiate who and who does not dissent?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't, I wouldn't call the negotiation. What does happen? And I think this happened under Bernanki and yelling as well. But certainly during my time at the Palfeed, the chair before each meeting had individual conversations with all all eighteen people. Interesting and so there's there. You know, no one gets blindsided going into the meeting about about the views on the on the outlooks.
Speaker 2: This is original. This goes back to Larry Myers and Green spent in that meeting. Is it a courtesy that you tell the chairman where you're heading?
Speaker 5: Again, those conversations were typically by the.
Speaker 2: Share really unhappy and showed ups today. No, no, no.
Speaker 5: The During my time there, the chair did have individual conversations with all eighteen folks. Obviously they were nineteen total, and the purpose of those conversations was so that both sides had a sense of where policy makers were heading going into the meeting, and then during the meeting, which go on for a day and a half. Sometimes minds change as well during the meeting, but at least going into the meeting, people all have a sense of where other folks are.
Speaker 4: I tell you what's changed this in the last couple of days, Richard is. I think after yesterday's discussion, the market's kind of pulling back a little bit on the two rate cuts this year. I don't know before between now in September, the Fed's going to get some more inflation data. They're going to get some more labor market data.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Are they just going to wait for that?
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean that's being data dependent. I guess right.
Speaker 5: The chair indicated that yesterday. I think that that would make sense. He'll also have another bite at the communications apple to mixed metaphors at Jackson Hole in three weeks and not always, but oftentimes the chairs do use Jackson Hole as a way to preview the September meeting. So perhaps another motivation for the two handed economist. Yesterday from Jay Powell is I'll have the stage to himself at the end of the month.
Speaker 2: For all of you on your commute across the nation. A wonderful treat today within the technology earnings allow Brainer scheduled to be with us here later on in this half hour, of course, all every work with our central bank, and now Richard Clarida with us with Pimco, a former vice chairman. I hate torst and Slock because on a Wednesday he sends me an email from Apollo Global Management with six seven things to read, and usually the top ones are a little light quick reads. Here's what he sends today. Clarida post pandemic, global inflation, disinflation and central Bank policy responses, goes on, It's like a movie. It's got a British movie. It's got a long title. Yeah, Nber a paper you just published with your thoughts on twenty one and twenty two. Take this important paper that Torsten Slock mentions and bring it forward to present day policy making.
Speaker 5: I'll give you the quick elevator version. Please, global surgeon inflation, Where did it come from? How do we think about it? And what are the lessons learned, and the basic point of that paper is essentially to summarize a lot of sort of one stop shopping. If you don't read fifty papers, you can read my summary of the papers. And the basic story is the inflation came from three factors. A once in a century pandemic which led to a shock to supply, triggered a fiscal and monetary policy response, and then on top of that, of course, you had the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Policy reacted right, rates, inflation came down, central banks were confident enough to cut rates. So I think the lessons learned to me is once in a century pandemic shocks are very challenging for policy, and on the other side of it, inflation expectations are anchored. And that's where we are.
Speaker 2: Peter Orzag at Lazard Now I'm in a shop at Lazard and also working and Brookings really emphasize the supply side shocks that we had. Are we there now? Is the tariff uncertainty now one big supply side shock. I mean, witness copper, biggest drop for years that yesterday. Sure.
Speaker 5: The other thing I'd like to emphasize as well is the unemployment rate is low.
Speaker 2: And that is great.
Speaker 5: It's at a very low historical level, but there's still room for the labor market to expand. In terms of labor force participation, it's about a point below where it was decades ago, especially among men prime age male. So a low unemployment rate is good, but the economy's capacity depends upon labor force as well, and I think there's still room to run there.
Speaker 4: President Trump continues his pressure on this fetter reserves, saying that they should be cutting rates. But we have folks that we really respect come through the studio that's say that is behind again. It really needs to cut rates. I mean, whether you look at real rents or whatever. I mean, if you look at the real time data, it's already there. The conditions are already there.
Speaker 2: The cut rates.
Speaker 4: How do you think about that?
Speaker 5: I think a straight reading of sort of standard monetary policy rules, including the ones I worked on with Girtler and Galley, for a pretty wide range of assumptions, would indicate that there's some room to cut rates from current levels. The details will depend on the model and your views of inflation, but anywhere in the range of you know, of fifty to seventy five basis points from here under the view that Waller and Embowman of express that the tariffs are not really an inflation shock, they're a price level shock. And so I think that is the case, and I think Chirpell himself a month or so ago indicated the butt for the trade policy uncertainty, they would probably be cutting rates now.
Speaker 2: But this is important, Richard. Yeah, I really can't say enough. We are slaves to trend? Oh shuret for we cut rates. It establishes a vector. Oh yeah, that we must follow. Why I'm speaking for President Trump now, good morning, mister president. If you'd like to call in, we'd love to talk to you. Why in God's name can we just announce let's just do a one off rate cut and see where we stand in September or end of October. Why are we slaves to trend?
Speaker 5: I think that's the sixty four billion dollar question, and it reflects the evolution in monetary policy. If you go back to when Tom, you and I start our careers in the in the eighties with with Vulgar, Vulgar would never give you an indication of where rates we're going.
Speaker 2: To be, Thank you, thank you. Years.
Speaker 5: It was one meeting at a time, and for the first half of green Span it was one meeting then at a time.
Speaker 2: But this is really important, folks.
Speaker 5: Well, two things happened. The academic literature to which I contributed said there can be benefits to providing guidance on the rate path, and so I think policymakers fall in love with that idea. They doubled down on it when we hit the zero lower bound, and it made sense to do that. But one of the points I make in the paper that you nicely plugged, Tom, is that monetary policy is not immune from the laws of economics. There are benefits and cost to decisions, and there are benefits in cost and diminishing returns. And I think you raise a very good point. We could be in a different world if basically the FED and other central banks said, you know, there's a lot of uncertain we're going to do one meeting at a time.
Speaker 2: Let me cut to the chase. Are we live in physics envy. We have a lot of fancy people, including Clareness math folks. It's world class. I can't taste their shoelaces. I can't tell you I'm a dinosaur. There's not a dinosaur you're a dinaso. But are we slaves to the certitude of inertial force where we set up a vector and we've got a momentum of something. Are you kidding me? We can't, wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say we're slaves. But that mindset has a very very powerful hold on a lot of thinking in markets and in policy making.
Speaker 2: Paul, get one more question.
Speaker 4: In I'm going to take a million dollar cowboy bar out out west somewhere next month, what should the FED chairman say in Jackson Hole? Should he change his tune, should he try to set up the market for September? What do you think we will hear when Tom's out there in a million dollar caboy bore.
Speaker 5: I think he's probably going to devote his remarks to previewing or laying out what they've decided in terms of their framework. And I think what he will do is embrace more or less traditional inflation targeting, saying we're not close to the zero bound now, and policy will act symmetrically in terms of what he does in terms of the next meeting in September or the rest of the year. I think it will depend in part on the data that we get between now and then, and it will depend as well on his assessment of his understanding of the current trade regime.
Speaker 2: Ye, I will read your paper and they'll have Can I do a report card on a three by five card? Exactly, Richard Claire to thank you so much, Absolutely brilliant, folks. That was an absolute clinic on some of the trends, the physics, the background of how these officials, saying Richard Claire to the former vice chairman of the FED.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Corplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty A Mere Panda.
Speaker 2: Joins us from JP Morgan, where they're looking at the tech juggernaut from sixty thousand feet. How does tech in America in this clear you know, I'm going to take the ego of dish exceptionalism. How does it affect an overall investment outlook?
Speaker 6: When we think about the history of US exceptionalists and over the last call it decade fifteen years. It's been about economic exceptionalism when we think about this miracle of high growth, relatively low inflation, relatively low interest rates as well, but it's also been about corporate exceptionalism. And going forward, we may have some deterioration in some of that economic exceptionalism, but certainly you still have that corporate exceptionalism, and it's rebirthing itself. It's just reviving itself time after time, in twenty twenty three with the Ai Revolution, but also much before that in the first phase of some of these companies. So it has been spectacular to watch some of these very mature companies reinvent them themselves and grow profits as they have.
Speaker 2: I just plugged into the Total Return Index five five five on Microsoft. Yeah, which is where it's going to open. I guess last ten years twenty nine percent per year, And.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at it today and I'm like, how do you not own it? Even today?
Speaker 2: I don't own it? Thank you. Triple Lover's dog cash mirror up to be asleep like a baby. All good, Mira.
Speaker 4: What have we seen from earnings? What have you guys seen from earning so far? And what do you what do you think of the market needs to see from earnings cycle.
Speaker 6: Earnings have been pretty healthy, but also remember the fact that estimates for earnings were basically cut in half for this quarter since the beginning of the second quarter and over the course there so the bar was relatively low. We're seeing earnings surpass that you are seeing the MAG seven, of course so far blowing the lice out on earnings, expected to contribute about two thirds overall to earnings growth over the course of this quarter, but that should broaden out over the next couple of quarters. So the good news is that we are not only hanging our hat on MAG seven. Profits across the board story is improving incrementally, But when you think about how that passes through to markets, the MAG seven are driving about a third of the returns in markets. So the market does not does demand that the MAG seven continue to post these types of profits. When I think about it from a broader allocation perspective in terms of what clients do and don't own, we should also remember that given the comeback in the MAG seven itself, you probably already own a lot, so it's not necessarily requiring us to double down on it. There are names that you want to have in your portfolio, but also think about broadening out beyond that. Given the fact that this year, for the first time in a while, we've got choices.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the choices is, and we saw people make this choice earlier in the year, is they move money out of the US into rest of world, maybe even European equities for example. How did you guys view that kind of trend and did you guys participate.
Speaker 6: We did see investors, at least at a headline level, more interested outside of the US, but also didn't necessarily see investors actually selling the US. You still have foreign investors owning about a quarter of the treasury market at about twenty percent of the equity market, and you also see Americans and foreigners doubling down not only the retail segment, but also increasingly the institutional segment. So I don't think that sell America narrative is intact. However, I do think that people are putting that incremental dollar towards some of the other more diversified opportunities across the board internationally, and it's not just the dollar. We're seeing the dollar move a little bit higher, as Tom pointed out, and yet international equities have survived on a number of different catalysts.
Speaker 2: Bob Michael stopped me cold yesterday. It was a single sentence of the Fed decides show Parole and Casman are modeling now as earning. Tedeski at Yell budget lab eighteen percent tariffs back to thirty three, thirty four, and Bob even goes up to twenty percent, which to me is unimaginable. Folks, this is like McKinley terrorists in the Gilded Age. If we get that, what happens to an investment strategy in America.
Speaker 6: We do have to be mindful that if we get that, it's probably going to result in higher inflation and slower growth. But we also have a little bit of a wrench in the works here when we think about where we get to in the beginning of next year, in that we're going to start to see the impacts of fiscal stimulus. When it comes to some of those tax cuts, some of them are extensions, but there are some sweeteners in there that are going to add some fiscal stimulus to the economy that could potentially keep inflation a little bit higher. It could also boost growth.
Speaker 2: Do rate cuts come to rescue? Are rate cuts just to normalize, or can they actually add on to the stimulus of the huge fiscal bill. They could.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure that rate cuts are actually as relevant when we think about the fact that over the last couple of years you've actually had even higher interest rates, and you've had twenty plus percent markets even outside of the mag seven. The S and P was up eight percent ten percent over the last two years perspectively. So we don't need rate cuts to save the market. I mean, the market doesn't look like it needs any saving at all.
Speaker 2: Have you been in the new building, not yet.
Speaker 6: I've seen it. You can see in through the windows from the building across the street. Very exciting, very exciting.
Speaker 2: It's just, you know, then, all that's going on in New York City in this tragedy is just great to see the leadership at JP Morgan and Sitadel and others on Kevin, I really can't say enough about it. You're Panda, Thank you so much. Global Market Strategist JP Morgan, Investment not Management.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Coarclay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 2: Now we go ever stronger market. Lehman is with Citizens, JMP Securities. He is definitive on the culture of San Francisco in Silicon Valley. This goes way back to Montgomery and other aims in the past. This is a guy with sell side, get out the Excel spreadsheet, cred but also done em and A. I want to talk about picking up the pieces off of First Republic May of twenty twenty three. You've been intimately involved, not so much in the details, but his San Francisco and Silicon Valley recovered from that tobacco recovering.
Speaker 7: And it's a good theme with what we talked about today, and we'll talk about with Meta because it's about AI and it starts with the election we had last year and Daniel Lurie becoming mayor. So a year ago the mayor Lendon Breed had about a thirty percent positive and a seventy percent negative. Today Daniel Lurie is a seventy percent positive and a thirty percent You probably couldn't get a seventy percent positive on anything today.
Speaker 2: You're Buch Frank Cautron yesterday. Yeah, this guy is like Frank, you're more qualified than anybody I know to give me the X axis on AI. Is AI equivalent to anything in the past? And how far out do you see this? As I'm speaking as an amateur, this boom.
Speaker 7: It's I hate to say it because the stocks have moved so much, but it's early and Met is a perfect example of that. Some of the things that they're starting to work on and starting to see are showing in the numbers, but it's really just the beginning. And I'll give you one example, Tom. They they even talked about some of the the using large language models for the first time, and as you know, those have been we've been talking about those for a bit. But they're starting to use those for some of their offerings. And so we've already seen the numbers show up. We're already seen what they're doing with Capax, but it's showing up with the numbers already, and we're just at the beginning.
Speaker 8: So as much as these.
Speaker 7: Stocks have run in, as much as we've seen great gains in the stock market, I hate to say this because it's going to spook some people.
Speaker 8: We may be early.
Speaker 4: Interesting and Mark, I mean you're responsible for the state of California, the business, investment, banking business for citizens in Californa. That's like one of the biggest economies in the world. Talk to us about California writ large, because we've heard so many stories about people leaving New York, people leaving California for Texas and Florida and so on. So how is the economy in California.
Speaker 7: So it's gone from the fifth biggest economy of the world the fourth biggest. Citizens has now a major footprint there where before it had a minor footprint. As you know, they bought my predecessor firm, JMP, but they've gone in a variety of markets, whether San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego. Citizens now is a footprint and private banking and some of the halo that First Republic had we've been fortunate to garner because we've just hired some of these people who are really how many.
Speaker 8: People say they love their bank and young people.
Speaker 7: At First Republic love their bank, and we've been able to garner some of that halo because it's all about service and it's all about coordinating. We're coordinating across the platform, so of our mid tier piers, we're coordinating across a private bank and investment bank of commercial and consumer.
Speaker 2: How will Silicon Valley defend against Lord Dell down in Texas and Texas building out they're doing with the New York Stock Exchange in Texas. Y'all Street, y'all street, what are you watching land? How does California strategically defend against the Dell juggernaut in Texas?
Speaker 8: I think it's a big pie. I think we have some things going for us.
Speaker 7: Obviously we are as I'd like to say, the Golden Gate Bridge isn't leaving.
Speaker 8: Cal's not leaving. Stanford's probably not.
Speaker 2: Leaving, so educational funding.
Speaker 7: When I hear everybody's leaving San Francisco, I just have my best guess is Call and Stanford are staying and yet and the talent and the dollars that are being spent on AI. You can look at the statistics the dollars that are being spent in San Francisco, that's a big number.
Speaker 2: The horrific tragedy in New York City we're living in the last seventy two hours with Blackstone, their commitment before all of this horror to Western Pennsylvania is just absolutely extraordinary again Carnegie Mellon University of Pittsburgh and that so are we going to see a greater at the margin cash commitment into Silicon Valley.
Speaker 7: I think what you're going to see is a public private partnership, and San Francisco is leading that. Like I said at the top, Daniel Luriy and the business leaders in San Francisco are committed to finding ways to exploit the talent.
Speaker 8: Base that we have. Some of the ills that we have are being fixed.
Speaker 7: And I think there's nothing we like more in this country. To kind of denigrate things, but there's nothing we like even greater that than a resurrection story. And I think you're seeing that real time in San Francisco. And I think that public private partnership is the most important thing.
Speaker 4: Mark we heard from some of the big banks reported earnings last week. We heard some pretty positive rhetoric from the Jamie Diamonds of the world, the Brian Morny hands of the world, talking about the big global capital markets business, global banking business. How are you seeing it in the mid market in California.
Speaker 8: It's definitely picking up.
Speaker 7: I think you're seeing the first signs of a resurrection of the IPO market. It has not been like we saw in twenty twenty one, and I will not predict that. But you're going to see the back half of this year a bunch of tech companies and a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Who saw Figma price last night exactly?
Speaker 7: And you're going to see several after Labor Day, and you're gonna see more going out of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Tell us about electric generation, you know there's there's an angst about it. I think nationwide. I'll say in Virginia leading the way. But is there going to be a power suck with the lights don't go on in the Golden gate Bridge because of all the AI wrapped around the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not.
Speaker 7: As going to an eight and the postly All Star break. There's two and eight after they also, right, but it's painful.
Speaker 2: I traded with the Red Sox.
Speaker 8: I did, and I'm not sure Devers is happy.
Speaker 2: But his new homes have to see that, thank you.
Speaker 7: But my hunch is no, I think there's going to be the kind of innovation that we're seeing in technology. You're going to see in power generation and it is a land grab right now. And the Warren talent for that is real. With the kind of AI purchase that we've seen Matta make and Microsoft make, can we.
Speaker 2: Go back to Mark Leman old school forget about this executive m and a bank backed and all that. The cash use of these juggernauts that we all own, we're all living. Did they understand they have to deploy cash to shareholders within buybacks or as Paul mentions always dividend growth.
Speaker 7: If you're talking about the Big seven or Big eight, I think, like we said, it is kind of a Warren talent right now. And when you see the headlines that Meta got for spending fifteen billion dollars for half a company, they really spend fifteen billion dollars on a bunch of talent and it barely is you know, it's not one percent of the company, right so it looks like an enormous number in an enormous bet, but it's really not. And when you see the kind of returns that the companies get on their investments and their investments.
Speaker 8: Are people I think right now they think a bigger.
Speaker 7: Investment is in that race, and it is a race and there's four or five incumbents, and then there's obviously open Ai, which we saw their valuation recently, and others. But there aren't going to be twenty of these. And there's one other thing that I think is really important to know is that there are a couple of companies that have resurrected. I have said for a very long time there's only two tech companies who reinvent in themselves.
Speaker 2: It's App on Microsoft.
Speaker 7: But look at the market cap ascent of Oracle, look at the market cap acent of IBM, and these companies were left for dead basically obviously they really are. So when you it's about leadership, and it's about talent, and it's about drive in future.
Speaker 2: Twenty seconds, Intel helpless.
Speaker 7: You know, uh and video is going to market cap is going to go out more than into three intels today and I just I hate to be pessimistic.
Speaker 8: It's really hard to find to wait that path for that.
Speaker 2: I got goosebumps this week of technology, Mark Lehman with his CEO citizens at JMP. That's a great brief before we speak with enerrog Rana.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty the.
Speaker 2: Way we roll. We got Mark Lehman with us here with citizens JMP and anrog Rana on the physics of this AI moment. He's with Bloomberg Intelligence and has been absolutely dead on and I have courage for a long tail of AI excellence ANIAG after what we saw yesterday. I want you to frame out capital spending for twenty six, twenty seven, and even twenty eight. Is it a linear expansion, does it accelerate into the coming years, or is this as good as a get.
Speaker 9: So at least for the next two years, we think the number are numbers are going to go up, the rate of growth is going to slow down. But it's tough to call out twenty seven and twenty eight because right now we have just started to see the benefits of all these investments that, for example, Microsoft has made. So I think a lot depends on the pace of adoption and more so on the enterprise side. To see what twenty seven and twenty eight looks like. But at this point we feel very confident about twenty five and twenty six.
Speaker 2: So I mean, for.
Speaker 4: Microsoft, give us the two or three things that the bulls are really hanging their hat on here. Again, we're gonna looks like we're going to hit four trillion dollar market cap here today.
Speaker 9: So patly, I mean the simple you know, basics is when when a company's size gets bigger, the growth rates stops or slows down. In the Microsoft's case, you could see that growth in Azure is accelerating. This is now a seventy five billion dollar business as of the end of lean a lost quarter. So in that case, when you see growth rate in the thirties accelerating, that basically shows that the AI adoption rate is picking up. And you know, people just assume that this is just the beginning of the adoption curve. Right now, all we're seeing is the infrastructure spending and that's the benefit everybody's seeing, whether it's Nvidia or you know, Dell servers, et cetera. But now what we're seeing is adoption rate on the cloud side, and I think that is really what is exciting a lot of people out there.
Speaker 4: So on argument, Well, take a look at Microsoft here, I mean, what percentage of the cloud an AI do you feel like is their market share versus some of the competitors, because we still have to hear from Amazon.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so when you look at just the cloud infrastructure site, you know, they are the second biggest player after Amazon. Amazon's you know rund rate as well, over one hundred billion. But Amazon's growing in the you know, let's say around the eighteen to twenty percent range. Microsoft now is showing that they're growing, you know, thirty eight thirty nine percent. That's a very big difference between the two. So, I mean, just imagine as seventy five billion dollar business growing in the mid thirties. And that's because they have that direct relationship with open ai where they're getting the direct benefit of U and B using more chat, GBT.
Speaker 2: And right, let's do a two part question. I'll get the apple on the back end of this color out the nature of their businesses. Dani's is very big that Microsoft is the enterprise cloud a person. What is Amazon? What is Oracle in the rest? What's the character of those cloud businesses?
Speaker 9: I think that's probably one of the most important questions for people to think about it right now, when you look at somebody like an article there, I would say primarily an infrastructured AI infrastructure player at this point, which means you want to go there, you want to rent out the GPUs and you are training your models. Microsoft is basically said, that's the business they're not so keen on. They really want to rent out capacity for training to others. But they are really on the infant size, which is when an application is running, they want to run that application because they eventually want to grow with that application. We think that's a more high value product.
Speaker 2: So then bring it to Apple. This afternoon, Apple and Google have a search agreement. Do you just assume there's going to be an announcement that Google Gemini becomes part of the Apple family. What do you see anaragus salvation for Apple's AI, Miss.
Speaker 9: Tom As far as I am concerned, you know, that is the biggest overhang on the stock that nobody talks about. That twenty billion our payment that comes from Google is very high margin business adds really to the free cat flow and the valuation of the company. If they ever make a deal on that, I think it will be good for the company.
Speaker 2: It will be good for the stock.
Speaker 9: But one of the good things Mark German has reported is Apple's ready to go out and partner with other companies to get their AI into their ecosystem. I think once they do that, that's another overhang that goes away from.
Speaker 2: Its all wants to get in here, let me be quick. What are they waiting for?
Speaker 9: I think it's a little bit of they take their time and making these decisions. They are not yet. They never do things in haste, and I think that speaks to the way they treat their user base. They want to protect their privacy, they want to make sure things are fine for them. So again, I'm not gonna get rid of my phone just because the AI is a little bit slower. I can't make some pictures, but I think it's gonna come over the next twelve months.
Speaker 4: I mean that kind of goes to my point on a rogaman. Every time I hear you and other smart people like Mandep Seing talk about AI in the context of Amazon or Microsoft, it just the initial question is what about Apple? So it's I kind of feel like they don't have to be first, but boy, they just feel like they're getting every single day farther and farther behind. I kind of feel like time is of the essence for them to announce something major.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I completely agree with you. But at the same time, this is a company that controls probably the most important distribution system for consumers out there. I mean, people will stick to the phone no matter what if they get if they get it wrong, but you know, Paul, that really makes a huge difference for them. So this is why they're taking their time. They're using multiple models to figure out what's best for them.
Speaker 2: I mean an rog just to keep up with you. This guy's physics University of Deli. You know, I know it's amazing. I mean anerrag I did MSFT equity. Tom Sikunda said, time you gotta do more. Turn stay with me on this, two hands on the steering wheel, okay, Ani rag MSFT Equity, AAPL Equity. Hs I did a ratio spread analysis, and Apple's failing off of Microsoft by two standard deviations, which you know is ginormous. Where's the urgency? And Cooper Tino, Well, think about it this way.
Speaker 9: Microsoft sales last night grew at fifteen percent. Apple's gonna grow at five percent. I've been debating I always never understood why there was always their you know, valuations were at parity at that point. Now we are coming to a point when the valuation shows the growth potential of Microsoft. Imagine a company this size growing at fifteen percent. I mean that's pretty big. Apple six seven percent max at the best at this point. If they come up with a new iPhone seventeen, maybe it goes to seven or eight, but that's where it ends. Frankly, doesn't go in double digits under no circumstances. Can I see Apple growing in double digits?
Speaker 2: Interact thirty seconds? Is elon in this discussion? Yes?
Speaker 9: But the question I always you know, wonder whether Zelan or Meta is how are they going to monetize their large language models.
Speaker 2: Now this is.
Speaker 9: Where Microsoft really has the biggest distribution army in the enterprise world, so they will stick there. You know, AI products across every enterprise out there, even if it's not the best. I do not know how the others are going to monetize that is.
Speaker 2: This great Mark Linman back to back with the enter Atlanta. Yep is in the on deck. Certain, yeah he is, He's on the subway. It's just is that how you're it's coming in than very good interog. Thank you so much, an rog Rana. They're with great seats for the Chicago Cubs. Oh yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It's a burgeoning tech cub Chicago.
Speaker 2: It is. It is a tech hub. Androg Rana, thank you so much. That was fascinating on the different ais, I don't pretend to understand it.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Easter and on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal