Speaker 1: Episode four thirty eight, What to budget for this Fall.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live a life here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are talking about all the things to budget for this fall so that you don't miss a thing, cause you.
Speaker 3: Don't want to miss a thing.
Speaker 1: Wow, brought to you by millennials.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but first, it's actually brought to you by phone and a friend. It worked and who wants to be a millionaire mostly and it can work for us too. We've had a bad day, Phone a friend when you need to vent. Phone a friend when you're not sure what that weird growth is on your left toe. Phone a friend doctor, and we also maybe your friend is a doctor, like knows weapon d Really well, that's ideal. And we also think the more friends you have to call on the better, which is why we're pumped about this virtual Get Organized Summit happening the week of September ninth. It's like phoning all of your friends at once to get all the tips on simplifying organizing creating better routines and overall just decreasing the things that can cause the most stress. Talk about the best way to enter the fall, and all of it in really sustainable ways that last. So there's over one hundred speakers, including Jen and I we have a talk at this virtual event, and others who are also talking about organizing home spaces, well being practices in which we can aim at sustainable long term well being, managing day to day tasks well. So, if you want to attend this virtual conference again, it's happening the week of September ninth, you can do that for free by using our specific link which is at Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash go hq that's g o hq. That will allow you to attend the conference for free.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, so let's talk about uh this come and fall, because here we are summer's over and we are talking about budgeting. I am trying to paste in the the other episodes to listen to on basing, like a million different things, oh gosh. But if you are really interested in other episodes we have about specifically fall, Episode two forty is our frugal Living Tips for Fall. So we're talking about a few ways to maximize the season. Uh this is our episode I guess on how to minimize the season. Uh so episode two forty. That one came out two years ago, so it's definitely time for another fall specific episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're taking an approach of both kind of what to budget for but also what to be reviewing for the fall with your finances, because we think this is a really good time to look at how do we want to end Q four to use financial lingo, but really we've got a few more months left in the year, and before we hit that, look back over the whole year and what do I think about and what do I want a resolution for? We can really set ourselves up for feeling good about the new year with some of this these final attention pieces. So the article that we're going to go through, it's just one article because we've been liking to really focus in. We've simplified our structure.
Speaker 1: And this is great because it's from my friend Michelle Schroder Gardner over at Making Sense of Sense and it's your fall financial checklist, seventeen things to do now.
Speaker 3: So we're not going to go through all seventeen, but in some ways We're kind of going to touch on all of them because some of them can be paired together, but the first one I want to highlight is the first one, and this has a little bit more to do with kind of thinking ahead what's coming up this year, but is related financially, and that's health insurance. So for those of us using the health insurance marketplace, enrollment opens November first and it runs through December fifteenth. For medical insurance coverage that will begin in January, So this is something to start preparing for now, to be researching the type of coverage that you're going to need in the new year. Be thinking about what your medical needs are, how much we're medical expenses this past year for you, what type of coverage would be best, How much will that cost you monthly? In what ways do you need to maybe rearrange your spending or begin preparing to be able to afford whatever you know your new monthly premium might be. If you want more information on this topic specifically, we did do an episode two fifty four Open Enrollment Explained with Eileen Doherty. That was a while ago.
Speaker 1: It was in twenty two, but it's.
Speaker 3: Still still really great stuff in there. So if open enrollment kind of confuses you, you want a little bit more, queue up episode two fifty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's definitely still relevant. It has aged well, So definitely check that out because it's it's good to know if you're gonna if you're gonna want it. You should also check out our HSA versus FSA episode that we just recently did, episode four twenty eight. We literally just did that one in July. That those two episodes will really help you figure out, Okay, what do I am I in a good place with my health insurance? Like do I have the plan that I want or should I consider a different plan with maybe an HSA FSA neither, So those are two good episodes to queue up. Number two is to make a plan to max out retirement investments. So this is definitely an ideal one I would say if you can. So, I was actually just talking with my sister in law about her retirement and we are not certified financial planners, so we do not give investment advice, but we do give saving advice. Uh, and so traditionally, I think fifteen percent is a really good number to shoot for. If you're not saving fifteen percent into your retirement savings. You don't have to start out at fifteen percent right away. Definitely, just get whatever match your employer is offering, if they offer one. For my sister in law, she was doing seven percent because it was kind of half for the first three and a half percent, and it's a confusing thing, but she had to do seven percent in order to get three and a half percent match. So that's where she was at. We bumped her up to ten and I said, in a few months, if you don't notice a difference, going up to fifteen would really be good. And that's because she already had some retirement savings. I would say, if you're in your twenties or and you don't, you're not starting with anything. Fifteen percent is fine. If you're in your thirties and you already have some savings, fifteen percent is fine. If you're in your thirties or forties and you don't have a lot, then I would say try twenty so again working up to it. For most people, that's not going to be maxing out. So and we we say start now because you have an until tax day of next year for your IRA to quote unquote max that out. So you could potentially max out your IRA for this year if you start now, and if you really want to get aggressive, I think seven thousand is the limit this year. Otherwise, doing your four oh one K is totally fine if you don't have enough to do both, but so maxing out would be great if you have the funds. But I would say at least getting to fifteen percent, like making it a goal this fall to get your savings up to fifteen or twenty fifteen percent is great.
Speaker 3: Number three on this list is a little bit more practical, but definitely something we all need to be paying attention to as we enter into some of the colder months, and that is prepping our home. So we're not quite into winter, but temps are going to be dropping everywhere, and doing some of this maintenance on the house can not only prolong the life of your home, but also help to reduce energy costs that you may have as you need to start using the heat. So some of these things can include cleaning your gutters, making sure that you have proper drainage happening on your roof is going to help prolong the life of the roof, and we all know how important roofs are right, it's not.
Speaker 1: Literally, five years makes a huge difference. If you can prolong the life of your roof for five years, that's not nothing.
Speaker 3: Change your filters on your heating systems. Maybe you're a regular person who sets reminders for yourself, but if you're not, let this podcast episode be your reminder that those filters do need to be changed. And you this to me changing your filters. Sorry, this is a little bit of a side tangent, but it feels to me like the reminder of when you put money into your wroth ira, make sure that you actually allocate and invest those funds right, Like you know how we need to keep reminding people of that because yours truly also made that mistake.
Speaker 1: Oh, yours truly has made this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, changing the filter on your heating and cooling system feels like that, like everyone kind of knows it, but no one really actually does it, and then they run into issues like I think my sister just had this recently where their AC wasn't working and they called somebody in and it was just that their filter was dirty. Yea, So before you waste money, just do these simple things that we all can do. Insulate your windows that had that's such a game changer. Eric and I used to do that when we lived in the North and it really did save us, i'd say pretty significantly on our heating costs. To be insulating our windows, consider a programmable thermostat so that you can kind of change up how hot or cold it is in your space from morning tonight. That can reduce our energy costs, reverse your sailing fans even just look up a checklist of how do I prepare my home for the warmer months? And this isn't just for homeowners, this is for renters as well, because you're still paying for your energy usage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a one day thing. So we put the most important things on the list for one day this month, and then we do them and then they're done. And on your air conditioning filter you write change me on this date. So that way, every time you open it up and you're like, I don't know, is it time to change it? You know, you know as soon as you look if it's time to change.
Speaker 3: It or not. Yeah. Well, and similar to your vehicle too, right, so if you're not even as concerned about your home, if you have a car, this would be a good time to consider getting it prepped, especially if you live in the north. There's some things that you want to consider with your tires and maintenance of your car to be prepped and ready. So there could be a cost associated with some of these things, but some of this is just prep to save money for the fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean. And so with the car thing, getting regular car washes, putting car washes in your budget if you're not going to do it yourself, because getting the ice off the undercarriage of yours, right, it will prolong the life of your car so long so that you can have your car longer, so you're not spending as much money on replacement car insurance, YadA, YadA. And it's just budgeting in those monthly or however frequently cleanings of your car to get that salt off exactly. So next is the holiday season, so Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Well, so you'll want to make decisions about what you will buy, and this is very important, decisions about what you will not buy. Both of these lists are important, and so often we make the first list without making the second. And it's one of those if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything sort of things. So you have to make a I won't stand for this list or I stand for this no list, or you will fall to buying things you had not budgeted for. And that's just the truth of it. Like we're all gonna spend money on Halloween, and honestly, we're gonna spend money we hadn't planned on all these holidays that actually are valuable and important to us because we're not going to remember everything right. But so that's why this do not buy list is so important. You have to think about, Okay, what did I spend money on last year that did not get me what I want, that got me things that actually got me things I didn't want, and what am I not going to buy this year? So that way you know, and look at your statements from last year too, how much did you spend on Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of times we'll talk, Okay, Christmas is coming and that's like the only thing you need to budget for. But the Fall is one of the bigger spendee just seasons. I feel like, especially for people who who really love the esthetic of fall, we can get sucked into all of the decor and the fun activities and whatnot. And I think that's where that list of what am I going to choose to not spend on? What does quality over quantity look like for me? If I really value decorating for the faller, there are ways that I can do that and not just buy a bunch of junk that actually I don't even know where I'm going to store it and I probably won't even use it next year. So not just the Halloween costumes or the gifts and the food, which you do have to think about, but also the decor that kind of happens around this time of year, and whether or not it's truly valuable to you, what it adds, the benefit that it brings, and are there alternative ways of engaging in that in a not so like over consuming way.
Speaker 1: And when you start early, if you can inventory maybe the decor you have, or or the old Halloween costumes you have, you can sell those things on Facebook marketplace ahead of the seasons. You're more likely to sell them, recoup some money, and you know, do some decluttering. Because yes, people love to buy decor. We know, you know under consumption core in our heads is still viral, and so people want to buy it secondhand and you can offer it secondhand, either locally on Facebook, marketplace or the small stuff like costumes it's easy to ship. You can sell it on eBay or Poshmark. People will be looking there too, So consider that. That's why it's only the beginning of September. But this is when we do this stuff now, so that we can we can prepare and again make the do not buy list for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. And I would say, Jill, you forgot one important holiday is pumpkin season.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the whole fall.
Speaker 1: So pumpkin You know how many pumpkins buy slattes do I get per day? And what pumpkin things that Trader Joe's will I not buy this year because they weren't actually good?
Speaker 3: Well, and I think all of the activities too that go along with like yeah, it's just buying pumpkins, drinking pumpkin stuff, going to the pumpkin patch. I think we get out of summer and we think, okay, all of that, like spendy activity entertaining the kids is over and we forget that, like nussir, the fall comes and we want to do all of the fall things. So in his mommy's either either budget for it or consider what what else you can do, what free activities are coming up. Just be my full of the of who you are in the fall and what you're gonna want.
Speaker 1: Summer gen may not be the same as fall gen exactly, and I know that they're not because I much prefer fall gen to summer gen.
Speaker 3: Routine has returned, But we also need to be aware of our spending, all right. The second part of the article now kind of looks at some of these more intangibles, I would say, of an overall financial check in and some of the things that we can be doing to kind of check in on this last part of the year. How can we end well, what should we be considering with our finances? How can we leverage these last few months as best as possible set us up for the new year.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so the first thing for me is building an emergency binder for you and your family. And this is it's a one time thing that you can just update every fall, like when your children start school, because maybe they're starting a new school or that's kind of when biggest changes happen, right, is when school starts. So updating your emergency binder and what this has in it. It has financial information such as health insurance, financial accounts, beneficiaries, passwords, user names, where to find certain documents.
Speaker 3: So don't keep it in a Google doc. Don't make your passwords. Yeah yeah, yeah, two factor authentications.
Speaker 1: This is probably going to be on paper. That's why it should be like updated once a year. So if you have a family, have a children, this is definitely useful mandatory, But if you're single, because someone will have to handle your affairs if something happens to you and that you know you don't you just assume you're not going to care, like if you die whatever. But like the worst thing is that if you don't die and you're just comatose and you still and you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna worse if you don't die, chet.
Speaker 1: The worst thing is that you're not going to die and people like mess up your stuff because you were incapacitated for you didn't have.
Speaker 3: Like a will, you mean like or not a will like this.
Speaker 1: Emergence, so we're not even talking about that yet. Just an emergency binder with all this important stuff and you can look up They sell the templates on Etsy, But honestly, I think you could just create a Google doc or a Google sheet honestly, or get a free template somewhere and print it out and make your little binder and then update it once a year in the fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a lot of what we're advocating for here and the article is having a money meeting or a money party that's more fun with yourself, or if you share finances with a partner, being able to have this overall financial check in together, and some of the tangibles that can be a part of this, not that it all has to happen in one sitting, but kind of making a plan to do these different things between now and the end of the year could be helpful, like checking your credit score. So you can get free credit reports and check your score, but even just the free credit reports can tell you if they're what's being reported, check for any errors on it, and adjust that. That's just going to be a helpful thing in case you and especially if you are planning on buying a house or a vehicle or any other type of thing where you might need you want to get a new credit card in the new year, Having the best possible credit score is going to get you the best possible interest rate, the best possible deal the best possible bonus points on a credit card, so ensuring that you're checking in on that regularly, and this is a great time to do that. It's also a really good time to check in on your car insurance. I know many people pay for their car insurance just every six months, so we're not looking at it that regularly, but this would be a good time to do a check in on that as well. What are we paying? Are there things that we can be doing to lower our rates, like even doing an online driving school for many insurance companies can reduce the cost if you're willing to put one of those trackers in your car that shows that you're being a good driver, just negotiate price, compare all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this would be the like again, one day, we have one day to get our house ready for winter, and we have another day where we're making an inventory and updating all of this stuff with your partner or just yourself. And if you have young kids, you're putting them with grandparents or babysitter so that you can do this really both be in it at the same time, and so then you can make this checklist of things to do financially that you can do at a later date. We're not trying to do everything all in one day. We're just trying to do a couple hours, get on the same page once a year, and then we move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're reviewing subscriptions. Are we still good with what we're automatically paying for regularly? And I love this one. I don't think was on this article from other reading that I was doing preparing for this, Preparing to ask for a raise with your year end review. Many employers will do a year end review with their employees, and if you know that this is coming up, now is a good time to be prepping yourself to make that ask. Some of that could include ensuring that you're on track with kind of the tasks and deliverables that are a part of your role description, so that when you ask for this raise it doesn't come as a surprise. You've got the receipts for the work that you've done, and you can start to prep your language and your reasoning behind what it is that you're asking for and feel really confident about the words that you're going to use at that year end review and just go into a new year with more money in your pocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if they refuse to give you even a three percent raise or anything, refuse to show you options for advancement, then you can go into the new year thinking about a YouTube job.
Speaker 3: Yes, that can be informative as well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of jobs, another thing you should budget for for the fall is your paid time off. So if you are in a job where it is use it or lose it and it renews at the end of the year. I know, sometimes it can renew over the summer, and sometimes it's you know, after the holidays. You should budget that time off and use one hundred percent of it because we're in the fall, I get wanting to save them. If it's you know, winter, spring, summer, you don't know what's happening. But this is a baby. This is the last three months of the year, last four months of the year. So budget time to use it so that you don't lose it. And you don't want to be taking it at the end because everybody's going to be fighting for it. Like you know your job, you know when it's likely to get approved, so so take them.
Speaker 3: Take those days, take those weekend, those long weekends. Yes, prep your home for the colder months. Do your financial check, in just stack the whole thing. I think this is also a good time to consider what you want your giving to be a lot of times we do become a lot more giving around the giving season, and I think sometimes we can impulse give, which that's the best type of impulse spending in my opinion, but it still could be to our detriment. And we want to think through what do I want to give this year, whether in gifts or monetary amounts to organizations or just people in my community who might have an ask or a need. So this is still something we need to be factoring into our budgets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also on that same line as donating warm clothing that you haven't worn in a while. So now at the beginning of the warm seat of the cold season, getting all that stuff in and don't hold on to it because you quote unquote think you will wear it or you want to wear it. Donate that warm stuff before it gets really cold so that it can actually be used this season. If you didn't wear it last year, go forth and donate that to somebody who will use it this season. And two more like fall specific things, if you received an extension on your tax return, sure you completed and file it.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 1: Until October. I think it's fifteenth or sixteen. You have till mid October, So let's get that done by the end of the month. And then if you have a flexible spending account, it might be a good idea to stop funding that if you have funds in it that you may not use, and just figure out ways to use that so you're not scrambling at the last minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not using up the money that's in that account. Do you know what. We don't have trouble using up though, Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, we'll be using it literally until the last episode of the year. But there's plenty to go around.
Speaker 3: The vill of the week.
Speaker 4: Week, that's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Tost bills, Buffalo bills, bill claim. This is the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jen and Jill, this is Risky calling from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My bill of the week is that I just spent one hundred and sixteen dollars to register for the Milwaukee Lakefront Half Marathon, which is coming up in October, and I'm really excited about this. Plus it's the last bill that I'm paying before I start my no spend month. I have some financial goals that I'm trying to accomplish, and I think of no spend months will get me on my way. So thanks for all the inspiration.
Speaker 3: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: Bye Rissy, my girl, my fellow half marathon or I am proud of you. Well done. I would just also like to stay Disney. Half marathons are much more expensive than that, So for any non runners who are like one hundred and sixty dollars to run thirteen point one miles because that's how many miles I have marathon is just know that Rissy, you got a steal. That's a good price. So good for you, girl, And I hope your no spend month went well and you haven't I guess you haven't done your half marathon yet, so best of luck on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope that goes well. I will most likely never pay to run, but I respect those who choose to spend on this value box. It me like Jen. Yes this is all for Jen, but I did enjoy this one, Rissy, especially your preparation for a no spend month. I think that that's another really great idea for the fall. If you're finding that, ooh, I've got a lot of competing goals between maxing out my retirement investing and ending the season well and giving and holidays and activities, and I don't know where it's all going to come from. Doing a no spend challenge, whether it's a week, two weeks, a month, can really set you up to be able to end well. So that's just a good tip, Rissy. Thanks for you.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 3: If you all are listening and you have a bill that is running related, you don't mind paying the bill. It's about not paying bills anymore because you're doing a no spend month, or your name is Bill and you're just excited for the fall. Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill, we can't wait for it, and now it's time for round.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: What's typically your largest single expense each fall that you have to budget for? And we don't change up a lot of our spending in the fall. I am not a halloween girly like. I love spooky season, but I hate dressing up in costumes. I hate costumes. I am such a curmudgeon when it comes to costumes. They don't do it. I love that people do it. I'm not against it, but like me, the idea of dressing up in a costume hate.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Thanksgiving I will do a couple sides, and Christmas I do. I do bare minimum. Last year I bought Last year, I bought fabric on sale on clearance so that I could wrap gifts and reuse the fabric this year to wrap gifts again and just use the same fabric.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea of the fabric.
Speaker 1: I went like the day before Christmas Eve and like.
Speaker 3: And hopefully like all your sizing of what you've cut previously will fit.
Speaker 1: I got a couple one yard and a couple two yards so that I could like have variety.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I don't give. I give like two gifts to each old.
Speaker 3: Gifts don't always need to be wrapped either, Gifts can just be given. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that so I'm not like a big holiday spender. So daycare is my single largest expense every season everything, and I pay it badly. Wow, it is a it is a great gift to drop my eighteen month old off in the mornings, and you know, shout outs to all those parents on the weekends pulling two twenty four hour shifts. Blessings to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds like a bill you don't know you don't mind paying, which is great.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: For me, it's not necessarily a singular expense, but more an expense category. My food spending absolutely increases for multiple reasons. Usually in the fall winter we are hosting more so I've got more people in my house. And then around the holidays, that's my treat. Like I'm not huge on just giving people junk for the sake of giving people stuff, but I am about eating and enjoying good food and giving good food to other people. And for me, that is how I budget for the holidays. But it is something I have to kind of prepare for and adjust every year to know I'm going to spend a lot of money on food.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what you can get me for Christmas? And I won't be ready for it until Christmas, but you won't have to spend money on it. Okay, A sour dough starter. Oh, I won't be ready to prepare me for that. A starter it's this is right now we're recording.
Speaker 3: No, you didn't prepare me just now for telling me that it was so shocking.
Speaker 1: Sorry, we were recording this in July.
Speaker 3: So thrilling. You'll be ready. I'll be ready in January to take us Take a.
Speaker 1: Starter publishes January seventh, Okay, and we'll have to do a few book tour stops. But I'm sure that Travis can maintain the starter in my absence for one month, so or maybe you should delay my gift until after the book tour. Okay, till Eric's so thrilling, give me it for Eric's person.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good, perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for listening. We love reading your kind reviews, and we especially love this one from d Squared nine twenty four. They say, so much fun changing my mindset one episode at a time. Finishing up listening to episode three sixty nine, and the amount of giggles has started my morning off so positive and lighthearted. Finally somebody that likes our giggling. I heard about your podcast from best Lied Plans, and it's been the recommendation I didn't know that I needed on a financial journey and excited to try to be more creative with solutions instead of buying things I don't need. Appreciate you so much, Thank you D squared Because we love giggling.
Speaker 3: I don't love that word.
Speaker 1: I know we don't giggle.
Speaker 3: The word giggle just sounds so vapid, and I feel like we have a good time and we're funny adults. We're not our silly little girls.
Speaker 1: Are educated and insightful and adult full throttle.
Speaker 3: I'm really trying not to giggle right now, I'm not.
Speaker 1: So thank you for listening and listening to our laughs.
Speaker 3: If you also are enjoying listening, we would love it if you would leave us a review. First of all, we are loving that you're here and listening, so thank you, But also know that reviews really do help us. I mean that one helped a ton for people to know that there is going to be laughter and gig exactly. They can know what they're getting themselves into. It also helps us to be able to get onto other podcasts. It helps to establish us as a legit podcasts. All of you in our community who are leaving these reviews, it's awesome. If you haven't done it yet, please do so wherever you're listening. You can also support us by getting our book pre ordering it. Pre Ordering it is what helps us the most. Please don't wait till January if you are planning on reading the book by what you loovebook dot com. We're just we're so grateful to be here and we want to keep being here, and those are the ways that you can ensure that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just to let you know, episode three sixty nine was how to afford more of what money Can't buy.
Speaker 3: So apparently that was the one they liked.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no. How to beat three sixty nine was how to be content without being complacent.
Speaker 3: Oh, I liked that episode. We were laughing a lot. Interesting. Yeah, best laid plans? Were you on that show? No, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: We'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. I love it when people find us from other pacasts.
Speaker 2: We love do it.
Speaker 3: And I love introducing people to their podcast. I mean all of our guests, if they have a podcast, it is one that we'd be like, yes, go go listen to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, thank you so much and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Google Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni. All Right, Chill So Rissy's Bill of the week made me kind of think about something. I I'm a half marathon.
Speaker 3: You know gurly, you're loving the word gurly lately?
Speaker 1: Where we are the thing? Somebody got mad at somebody on social media for referring to a woman as a girl, but they were it was another girl, like, you know, calling her a girl, and she got mad. She's like, they're women, and.
Speaker 3: I like, how I'm mad about the word giggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I kind of just I had to respond with she's calling her a girl. G u r L not a girl. G I r L very different. I just like. And then I deleted Instagram off my phone.
Speaker 3: You just like insert yourself into situations.
Speaker 1: And I don't like because I gotta get out. So but I was thinking, if our book, if our book makes a best seller list, I'll run a full marathon.
Speaker 3: The things you just decide on the spot. It would be so. You know how people say, oh to be swim around in your brain. I don't know. It's a weird one. I don't think I can handle it like I can hardly. I can hardly handle my experience of your brain on the outside of you. I could not imagine what it's like to be in there. It's wild unruled.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, I don't know if it would. I'm always trying to come up with incentives for people to pre order the book right by what you love without going broke, pre ordered it by what you loovebook dot Com, And I don't know if it would be a good incentive.
Speaker 3: But I think it's just something you want to do and you want other people to like have to make you do it, and you need the motivation for it, so you need them to buy the book. So you have to run a full marathon.
Speaker 1: I want to run a full marathon, but I can't run it unless we make.
Speaker 3: A best seller unless you tell me that I have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, until we make a best seller list, I can't run the full marathon of my dreams, which just now, right now became my dream.
Speaker 3: That's so funny, because if we make a bestseller list, I'm gonna go on vacation. Like, to me, that's what I'll do. You're like, oh, if we do, if we accomplish this big thing, I'm gonna punish myself. I'm gonna do one of the most awful things that's gonna ruin my whole weekend. And the following two weeks, and you guys have to make me do it. And I'm like, uh, I'd love to make a bestseller list and then like I'll go to Cancun.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to do that too, but I'm not. I'm not going to bake a bestseller list and go out and run a marathon the next weekend. It wouldn't be like till a year later, I think.
Speaker 3: Because I know you have to just you'd have to learn that you were on a bestseller list and then train for the marathon. Yes, is there a marathon you'd want to do?
Speaker 1: Disney World?
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, what's their marathon? What are they call it?
Speaker 1: In January? It's called the Disney World Marathon.
Speaker 3: Oh. Because usually they're like the dopey, the Donkey, the princess, you're not wrong, the line and dine. Yeah, this one they're just like, we lost, we're tired, we don't have any more creativity in us.
Speaker 1: This was before they had creativity.
Speaker 3: Oh, speaking of Disney, I wonder if you know this. I don't know how this is how Disney are you? I've been going to trivia on Tuesdays. You know this, I've rediscovered myself in my year of less, less travel less hosting. You've heard me talk about how I'm doing just like more local things. Part of that is a book club that you and I are part of together. Part of it is going to trivia on Tuesdays. And there was this one question. It was what was the first Disney on Ice? I guess, like theme or like what was like attraction, central character, central character? There you go cha, yeah, yeah, the first Disney on Ice? Uh?
Speaker 1: Was it a princess?
Speaker 3: I'm not You don't get to do that at trivia. You don't get to ask more questions.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I Beauty and the Beast on Ice.
Speaker 3: Right, wouldn't that have been great? Mickey Mouse Fantasia. Oh that makes sense, right, It like totally makes sense, But my mind never would have. I was like sender Relach because the castle is based on her.
Speaker 1: And the Beast on Ice when I was a kid, And one.
Speaker 3: Of the guys at the table went to Little Mermaid on Ice when he was a kid, and he's one of the oldest amongst us, so we were like, go with his answer.
Speaker 1: Little Mermaid came out nineteen eighty nine, the old was born.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the year we were born. Wow, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Your Beauty and the Beast came out though.
Speaker 3: Maybe before I want to say, like ninety three, but that might have been Lying King the Golden Age of and then they just stopped making them. They're like, here, we did enough, We're tired. Now we're just gonna call the marathon the marathon.
Speaker 1: It's older than that.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna stick with the movies we made in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the the ninety three ninety four was the first marathon weekend, so oh wow, yeah, see there are some things I do know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could do a whole Disney Disney trivia. I bet they do that somewhere. What trivia do you think you would be best at? If you could choose a category?
Speaker 1: How many minutes do we have left?
Speaker 3: I know we honestly, this is called filibustering. For all of you who are still here, we are contractually obligated for a forty five minute episode, and my clock says, are only at forty two minutes. We're gonna be here with you just spitballing for a while.
Speaker 1: Huh Okay, what do I think I could get? Possibly a TV show like Game of Thrones. But no, then you've got too much book lore and I didn't read the books.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think now, like I'm not a Disney adult enough to get Disney trivia.
Speaker 3: What would yours be? I'm kind of just asking it out loud, honestly. Eric always says the office, So in some ways I feel like, yeah, maybe me too, Like I have seen a lot of the office, but not. I think there'd be a lot of people who know even more than me, that's the thing. But as far as what I might feel like the most confident in, yeah, I don't know. Deep dives on many subjects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't say Star Wars because that fandom is much deeper than me. Definitely not the office. I was in, Big office, Girly. I don't know, Like, I don't know enough about any one thing. I know a lot about, you know, I know a little about a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Cleaning. If I could do trivia on cleaning, I don't know what what types of questions they'd ask, but I think I probably could get it.
Speaker 1: Possibly, digital marketing.
Speaker 3: Yes, how to sell a book.
Speaker 1: Digital marketing might could be something that I could be very successful at which I'll tell you, the most successful digital marketers do not sell courses on digital marketing. I'll tell you that right now. Is that on purpose or you know, I'm just they're too good at marketing their actual business and so they're doing their business. They're not selling courses on affiliate marketing and digital marketing and email marketing and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So wow, look good learning something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except for the ones, maybe the ones that have been in it for like twenty plus years. That's because they get they did it so well with their first business, they're bored and they want to do something new that Those are the ones. Those are the highlights, those are the real ogs. Those are the real real So if you're just finding out about somebody that you've never heard of that talks about digital.
Speaker 3: Marketing, maybe don't trust them. Nope, mm hmm, but trust us by what you learn without Going Broke.
Speaker 1: Don't buy a digital marketing course for me, No, but buy the book, Yeah you love without Going Broke?
Speaker 3: By what you love book, I can do a.
Speaker 1: Trivia on values based spending, possibly retirement accounts and personal finance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything you've written about. Yeah, you'd think that I would say social work. But I really only retain the knowledge that I need for what I'm currently doing, what.
Speaker 1: All specialists do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, but that's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't have I couldn't do a parenting trivia for sure, wouldn't win that.
Speaker 3: But it is what you're currently doing.
Speaker 1: So yep, that's what I'm currently doing.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think anything else. Yeah, how many minutes do we have left? Are we done yet?
Speaker 3: We're getting closer? Just want to be absolutely sure. Wow, Okay, now we're gonna go have lunch. Did you pack a lunch today?
Speaker 1: I forgot my lunch. I had lunch prepped and I forgot it at home because it's just it's too many things to bring.
Speaker 3: Do we believe her? Listener?
Speaker 1: You know what I was going to bring? Is that fried rice you gave me?
Speaker 3: Oh heck yeah, it still would have been a lunch prepared by me. Yay, I love that. All right, we'll see what we can scrounge op for you.
Speaker 1: Thanks,