Speaker 1: So what we're going to do is fly in the men from LA and we're going to have a light. We're commercial free with you this hour. Thank you to our all of our wonderful advertisers for that. And this is on Apple. Mark German flat out drives a conversation worldwide. He joins us, our chief correspondent on technology and Apple at Bloomberg News. How's Tim Cook doing? I mean the litigation and all where they're like tantrums and arguments over the last two weeks as Apple went after Sam and open AI.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you they're dealing with so much right now. They have this big management transition, right Tim Cook stepping down at the beginning of September, John Turnus dating over. They're dealing with the memory shortage, dealing with global politics, Trump, tariffs, you name it, right, But it feels like the biggest thing they've been dealing with over the last year is actually open Ai. Tim Cook, the executive team over there, they've been beside themselves four hundred people, four hundred people, and in their mind they needed to do something to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 3: How can they stop people from leaving?
Speaker 2: In the lawsuit, the lawsuits Okay, but the lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Every day everybody leaves, we lose people of Bloomberg, we gain people.
Speaker 3: Yes, But what's just so what here.
Speaker 2: We don't lose you know, another company, right, a competitor. Ten percent of that company isn't made up of Bloomberg employees, Right, It's four hundred people leaving one company for another company. And it's in Apple's history, completely unprecedented. Open Ai probably made up between five and ten percent of that company's made up of people who came from Apple. It's in Apple's view, it's it's absurd. Apple believes there was some shady behavior going on. They couldn't prove it, of course, until they caught this kid, this iPhone engineer named Chang Lu, who hacked into Apple servers after he left the company and was able to pull engineering presentations and all sorts of other material. And so they were able to build a case around that. But one thing I'll tell you is even so the lawsuit is kind of flimsy. Like you said, people transfer between companies all the time. That is commonplace. But what Apple's doing here is they created a narrative to scare their current employees. I think, uh, and if you're an Apple employee right now, and you're teetering between staying an Apple and going to open a eye.
Speaker 1: Happens here mister Bloomberg cut walks by me, says if you don't shape up, I'm cutting off coffee.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny, Paul Sweety, what's.
Speaker 4: The what's what's the intent here of Apple here? Is it maybe, as you suggest, maybe to scare existing employees. But if you're you don't like to be in a position where you have to do that. You want to create an environment where you want to say Apple because it's Apple.
Speaker 2: Well they're okay, Well, how much time do we have? But let's unpack this. So Apple has been dealing with a lot lately. Obviously, the innovation engine has slowed down. There are a lot of people who wanted to go to open AI and work on this new technology with the promise of building something revolutionary, thinking we're going to build the next iPhone.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The other thing you have to know is that open ana's paying three four, five x what Apple is paying them more money. They're paying them more money.
Speaker 3: It's like when they go from the Giants to the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: It's the combiny. It's the combination of yeah, there's no salary cap in Silicon Valley, right, You're getting the combination of more money with the promise of working on something far cooler, not doing the same phone or iPad or Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: Guys, Sonara wearing brunicuc and l T shirts, I get it, Like the way you style mark is there business? I mean, are we going to get a bombshell for them this quarter like we did from IBM this morning?
Speaker 3: I don't see it.
Speaker 2: No, that's not going to happen. In fact, if you wanted.
Speaker 3: A record high yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well let's turn the conversation into Apple's future. What Apple is going to do over the next two and a half years in terms of new products has never happened before in its history. There is so much stuff coming that I am having a hard time wrapping my heat around it. There's a lot coming. You've never seen anything like this. My credit card is already. I can feel it in my pockets.
Speaker 3: It's shaking. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, I have and folks, I don't get tweaked a nerdy on this, but I'm gonna do it with young German.
Speaker 3: I got an M three Ultra at home Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Have a twenty nineteen Mac Pro, which I'm using as a coffee table to put a martini.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you were that cool. I mean, I know you were cool, but I didn't know. But I like an every ultra QUI I.
Speaker 3: Have an M three altar. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into it because you're your conversation is more important than mine. I don't see any innovation slow down here. I got a needle, Alexis go. Would somebody go up, go.
Speaker 3: Out to my man bag at my desk and pull out the Neo?
Speaker 2: Okay, the incredible just so market see incredible. My wife just got one last week. Okay, that machine is awesome, even though they did one hundred dollars price, Like at seven hundred dollars, you're not getting anything in that category. So yeah, that is an innovative product and she loves it. Everyone I know who has the Neo absolutely loves it. By the way, there's a new Neo coming next year.
Speaker 3: They hit a.
Speaker 1: Record high yesterday. Woe is me, Apple, Paul, you gotta be kidning. IBM's done twenty perc.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: These guys are rocking the free world because they're not doing all this AI stuff right right.
Speaker 2: I mean it's funny people say, oh, Apples the new IBM, Apple is the new Microsoft, and they mean in a negative sense. No, no, no, no, no no. Apple's future the next three years extraordinarily strong AI wearables. They're working on three AI wearables, and they're working on three AI home products. They've got stuff coming that's going to blow your mind, from smart glasses to this new smart home device. I'm pumped. And don't get me started on the iPhone Ultra of the foldable phone. I'm really excited for that.
Speaker 4: So you think Apple, from an investor's perspective, can shake the concern that they're kind of missing AI, they're lagging behind AI?
Speaker 2: Can they change that narrative? Do you think? Have you tried the new Seri AI on the phone?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So, the public beta came out yesterday. I've been using it since the beginning of June, the developer beta. But the new Serie AI, what they've gone from on CIRI is completely incompetent to competent. I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as Chat GPT, but for ninety five percent of people. The SERI in your pocket now will do absolutely what you expect, and it's it's terrific.
Speaker 3: Paul twenty finally, finally, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't get Serriu twenty eight point seven percent per year for the last ten years.
Speaker 3: This company's a failure, exactly. It's terrible exactly.
Speaker 4: So what's next stage for this suit here? Because this kind of goes to the heart and soul of any tech company.
Speaker 3: It's the people.
Speaker 4: They walk out the door, your assets walk out the door every day at five o'clock.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just say, well, in some places five o'clock. But let me tell you this, if you're an Apple employee and you read that lawsuit, you'd have to be a lunatic to not second guests going to open AI the way that Apple frames this, the way Apple talks about how your their security is going to go after you if you go to open AI. I think Apple employees are going to be very scared to move between companies at this point.
Speaker 1: Do you have winners and losers in your head? You don't have to tell us, because I understand it's rude, But if there's like seven players in AI, does Mark know these two or three aren't gonna make it, that.
Speaker 2: Are not going to make it. Well, I'll tell you this. I guess people are listening in on this one to hear about Apple. Apple's gonna make it because Apple is a hardware company at its very core, and they have the models now from Google to do cool hardware stuff. And I think that these six AI products that they're coming out with are going to do an effective job. I think they're going to sell well, and I think the integration of hardware and AI is the next step for the company of those Again, Okay, so we're going to see a few next year and a few the year after. You've got smart glasses, you've got AirPods with AI, you've got a pendant, you've got the smart Home Hub. Basically, Tom Paul, you put this smart Home command center on your desk, you put it in your kitchen, you put it wherever you walk up to it, and it's like, oh hi, Paul, right, be able to pull up your news, your notes, your music, You'll do FaceTime on it. It's going to be a really cool device. It's a game changer.
Speaker 1: If you met Rebecca Ferguson, I mean, a guy as cool as you like side those Season three on it Apple Rocket It right now?
Speaker 3: Are you going to be one.
Speaker 1: Of these people at the beginning that's an executive producer, marker?
Speaker 3: You know, how's that whole thing going for them? For Apple?
Speaker 2: You're talking about the home devices.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about Apple TV and silos. Oh there's season and there's executive. There's all these fancy people. I don't think of producers.
Speaker 2: It's not a money maker for them, but it is is a marketing engine, right. How many people are falling in love with these shows and they're like, I want to be part of the CECO system. So I think that people ignore that this is part of the marketing budget even though it's a money loser. But like the tide is sort of turning right Like a few years ago, it felt like I don't know how much long are they going to do this? For now it's feeling like they can do this forever and they are going to turn a profit on Apple TV at some point.
Speaker 1: And what's so great is we have Gerard Cassidy coming up Portland, Maine.
Speaker 3: Who's using an iPhone eight. It's like Nixon.
Speaker 2: iPhone eight twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: It still works, It still works.
Speaker 2: It still works much even.
Speaker 1: What's more amazing is drug Cassidy still works. Mark German, thank you, thank you so much for joining us in our studios. Usually I see him at the bar at the Sunset Tower in l A. But he's here today and that's a good thing. On Apple is well.