Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. I think a lot of us walk through life believing that we know who we are. We're shaped by our experiences and our roots and the people who shaped us right. But if we stop and look closely, so much of what we call our identity was formed before we even had the language to question it. Those this could be good and bad things. I'm too much, I'm not smart enough, I'll always be left. I'm a person who takes care, who gets stuff done, who is self reliant. It's the things that we believe about ourselves. Today's guest is best selling author and therapist Katherine Woodward Thomas. If you don't already know her name, you most definitely know her work. She's the author of Calling in the One which is lauded as helping millions of people call in their partner. And then, in twenty fourteen, when Gwyneth Paltrow popularized Catherine's term conscious uncoupling during her breakup with Chris Martin, everything in Catherine's world exploded. Now back then, Catherine who's asking us to reframe how we manage the end of our relationships with others. But today she's inviting us to re examine our relationship with ourselves. Her brand new book is called What's True About You? Seven Steps to move beyond your painful past and manifest your brightest future. The title alone is a provocation, because here's what Catherine wants you to hear. Those stories running on loop in the back of your mind, that I'm not good enough, I'm too much, I'm going to be left. Those are not facts. They're old beliefs, beliefs that were handed to us often before we could push back. And the really unsettling part, most of us aren't just living inside those stories, were actively and unconsciously recreating them.
Speaker 2: We're not just having hard time getting over the false beliefs because of what happened thirty years ago, Because of what happened thirty minutes ago. Beliefs were formed in relationship. That's why we have to transform them in relationship.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of not thinking about memories or stories I've told myself as what happened to me, but instead what am I continuing to create? So today we're talking about where these stories come from, how they show up in our lives and our relationships, and what it actually takes to interrupt them. Oh and we're also talking about.
Speaker 2: This The game is not in manifestation is not to get what you say you want. One is to become who you would need to be to manifest and sustain it.
Speaker 1: Catherine is an expert in calling in, So the big question we're circling today is a simple but important one. What am I assuming is true that might not be? And what am I calling in because of it? It's time to question everything With Catherine Woodward Thomas. I want to talk about your book. It's called What's True About You? And I love questions so much, and I think that's such a deceptively simple question. How do you, Catherine, answer today versus ten years ago.
Speaker 2: About what's true about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I think ten years ago I was still kind of under the cloud of the false belief that I created about myself and really in relationship to the many things that I went through when I was really young and just forming a sense of self. You know, when you're in the womb to maybe seven, you're kind of a nebulous receptivity like who am I? And where do I fit into this world? And who am I for others? And who are they for me? So you're trying to figure out identity and a lot of these things lodged as and I'm alone, or I'm not lovable, or I'm not good enough. So I really struggled with you I'm not good enough, which I think was a glass ceiling on being able to write this book for many years because the material that was coming through me and that I was seeing as I was working with my students was so profound, really kind of challenging of the current status quo of how we're all engaging personal development work where we're looking backwards at nausea and we every eye and cross every tea on how we became who we are and why we are this way, which doesn't really access the power to have the breakthrough. So I think where I am now is that we're all imperfect, we're all growing together, and we all have value that we're bringing to the table. There's no question about whether I'm good enough or not good enough. This is the material that's wanting to come through, and it's my gift to share, and I'm so grateful to do it. So i don't feel stopped any longer because I'm standing in the truth of my value, my inherent worthiness. There's nothing to prove, and the power, the agency that I have to get the message out is unencumbered.
Speaker 1: Now I want to dig deeper into that word identity that you used, because a lot of self help tells us to be ourselves, to be our most authentic selves, and your work suggests something a lot deeper and actually different, that we often don't know who that self is. So when did you realize that identity is something that we can consciously create?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, you can trace that back all the way to calling in the one. The first edition back in two thousand and four called it your false Love Identity, and basically the false love identity is also in the new work called Your Source Fracture Story, The Original Break and Belonging, or the separation where you realized maybe you weren't up to par in some way. Twenty two of them that I've distinguished is the most common ones that most of us struggle with. And I realized that if you got what we call triggered pointed you they didn't call you back, or you got ghosted, or you know, start talking to your friend instead of you at the bar or whatever was going on, it dropped down into these Oh I'm not you know, sin enough, I'm not pretty enough, I'm not rich enough, I'm somehow you know, not lovable or not wanted. People don't want me. So we have these stories that are kind of well worn sweaters, you know, our default place. They're fixed self, they're a younger self. We're trying to scratch that itch to get it out of the space because we know intuitively that when I am emotionally centered in that story, I'm going to start doing things like under presenting myself. I'm going to disappear myself self, abandoning to people please so that person doesn't leave me. I'm going to start auditioning for the part of girlfriend. All of these things that covertly communicate to others that we are less valuable than them and really not standing in the center of our power. So in Calling in the One, I was talking about how to shift centers so that you can actually not source how you're showing up from that old center. One of the radical ideas in the book. And I'm a psychotherapist and have been training people for years, and I'm a little at odds with my profession. Or let's say, I have a little cattle prod to go at a particular direction that we've not yet gone, because we've gotten really good at going backwards to heal our lives, whereas in on our bodies, how to regulate ourselves, you know, the meaning that we understand it's a younger self, it's a child's self. So we've been floating around those conversations for a couple of decades. John Bradshaw with his Inner Child work, which is great back in the eighties and stuff. But what we don't realize is that the future that we're living into says as much about what's motivating us to show up the way we're showing up today in this moment, whether that be a negative future or a positive future. The positive future, I'm going to be an award winning actor. The negative future, I'm going to be an out of work actor who's always struggling in waiting tables. Right, So whatever future we're kind of living into or avoiding is informing how we're showing up today as much or more so than our past.
Speaker 1: You've said so many interesting things that I want to touch on a few that I have questions about. The first is, at the beginning of your answer to my original question, you said something about these twenty two stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, source fracture stories.
Speaker 1: You say that understanding it can help us wake up to a new or truer sense of who we are. Almost at the beginning of your book, this is a big part of the book. How do you think we honor those experiences? Some of them I think are probably deep in childhood, as you're mentioning, they are very old stories without letting them define us. And what does that look like in practice? And I'll give you an example when you shared that, My original thought was two big wounds I had from childhood. One is in eighth grade, right before high school. I went to a really large high school, and the night before high school, my best friend for ten years called me and said, I don't want to be your friend tomorrow, like basically pretend you don't know me when we go to high school. And I was wrecked. And then I had another one. And I think in like fifth or sixth grade, my mom, I think a gift that she gave me. She always said, go for everything you want, And so I asked a boy out and he said no, I don't want to be your boyfriend or something in fifth or sixth grade. And those are two stories that I think I've moved on from. But if you were to ask me a question, I could very easily point back to. So using those just as an example to harness for people who are listening, how do we honor that and then let it go?
Speaker 2: So the book is written like in a seven step process so that it's very accessible to people. You can actually do it on yourself as you're asking, like how do I actually do that? Not just an idea about that, and what are the keys to being able to transform our lives for good and really graduate from codependence or toxic dynamics or whatever the patterns are under earning that goes on forever. You know, we want to graduate, We want to start to live the lives that we feel that we intuitively came here to live, and the key to doing that is going to be in our relationship with ourselves. And what I mean by that is being able to differentiate that younger self, and that probably lodged some form of the sources facture story. I'm not wanted other people reject me. I can't really count on knowing what my place is in the world. There's a tentativeness to that.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're so right that second part. I do feel deeply.
Speaker 2: Right, like it could just disappear at any moment. So always having to be vigilant to kind of assert myself here because I have to keep my place here. That's the ways of relating. Now. I'm going to come back to how you create that relationship with yourself. But there's another piece of this, which is how are we the source of the ongoing evidence. We're not just having hard time getting over the false beliefs because of what happened thirty years ago. It's because of what happened thirty minutes ago. What we don't yet see collectively is how did I recreate that? Because it feels like something sitting on your stars keeps happening again. God made the mountains. God made the sun, God made me to be unwanted, and I have to work extra hard to always find my place in the world. But if you're working extra hard, what that means is, now, this isn't you. Because I'm not hanging out with you enough to know you tend to be a little bit overly assertive and a little pushy sometimes, which makes then people back up from you, which registers as more rejection.
Speaker 1: Interesting, so the overcorrection actually creates more of the issue.
Speaker 2: Yes, it perpetuates it. So that's one of the things that we're not dealing with yet in psychotherapy. Am I creating this in my relationship with myself? With others and even with life? So with yourself? Going back to how do you create this relationship? First of all, I like questions. So one of the first questions I might do if I notice the collapse, and it could be a collapse into anxiety, a collapse into depression, just a contraction away from life. I'm starting to feel deflated. You intervene and you say to yourself, sweetheart, what are you assuming is true? You talk to yourself in the third person. Studies are showing that really helps us. You so sweetheart, and some people can't say sweetheart, So you have a pet name. Just be kind, soft and kind to yourself. And you say, you know, Catherine, honey, what are you assuming is true right now? Well, I'm assuming that they don't want what I have to offer, or I'm assuming I'm always going to be alone, or I'm assuming that I'll never amount to anything in life, you know, whatever the assumption is. And then you say how old are you?
Speaker 1: Oh? Interesting, because the part of what you shared, I don't know that I don't feel wanted, but I definitely feel vigilant that I'm thinking about how old is that? And it's almost like five years old? It's very old.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's just right there. She's really young. So then you know you as the adult, grand journey of expansion and growth, the you that would be a good friend to a best friend having a bad day or to a child that needed your solace. We turned towards that little five year old and say, sweetheart, you're fine just the way you are. I want you just as you are. I love you. You don't have to try so hard. It's already done. You've already shown your worth and your value and people do want you, So you start speaking truth to the trauma. Most of us when we feel something like the pan out, they're going to leave and I'm not going to be okay, and then we go after that we identify with the feelings. We just buy into it like it's true. We don't question it. So one of the things the book does is it's teaching us how to press the pause button and say, I think that's old trauma. I don't think that's truth. What's actually true. Well, what's actually true about you is that you have a very prominent place in the community. I mean, out of all the podcasts we've been doing, you know, there's a few that when they came in as an invitation, we went yay, and yours was.
Speaker 1: One of them. Thank you Catherine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we were like, wow, great, oh we're going to get to talk to Danielle. How exciting is that? Right? So that's who you really are, that's the reality of it. So you start to shift centers into that, and then you walk into the room with more calm, more command. You don't have to push your agenda. People are just responding to energy. So if we're pushing our agenda, they will back up a little bit. They will put up some things, so you're going to get that resistance, but that then registers and is interpreted as further proof of the I'm not wanted.
Speaker 1: May I ask you what story comes up for you? Are you willing to share anything? Was there a story that came up for you that made you think of these twenty two.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it all started with, you know, loving relationships, because that's where my root is. And I'm a marriage and family therapist. That's all about relationship with me, and I always felt inferior to people. I had a mom who somehow she came out of the wound looking perfect. Everything was just proportionately perfect on my mom, and even to this day, she's in her late eighties and people the first thing they say is, oh my gosh, you're so beautiful. Wow, it's amazing. So she was gifted with beauty and thinness and stuff. But I kind of took after my dad. And this is back in the sixties and seventies when you're supposed to be like twiggy and my thighs are getting big, and she's given me sideways glances and I just kind of collapsed into I'm inferior, I'm not good enough. There was a lot of pressure. I mean, I think there's still a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way and that equals our value and stuff, and we're making progress there, but it was out of control back in the sixties and seventies. So I really lodged this I'm inferior, and it then informed a lot of the ways that I was relating were I would overgive all the time to try and prove my value. I'd overfunction for people, I'd bid off more than I can chew because it never felt like I was doing enough to prove my value. And basically I formed this personality where I was a little bit subservient to people, like I would find people to idealize and then be their second. And I also had an eyeb alone, so it was kind of a combination of those two things. But people say I'm inferior, They're going to leave me alone. The I'm alone is about, you know, I'm going to self abandon I'm going to do anything to make sure you don't leave me. So basically I'm leaving myself alone all the time because I'm more preoccupied with how other people think and feel and what they need. I get out of touch with myself and I start creating relationships where there's really only one person in the room because I'm not really even there. I'm just trying to secure that they're not going to leave me, right, So our whole personalities kind of form around as compensations. There's a thing in psychology now we're you know, we lean towards compassions. We say, oh, weren't you clever to figure out you know, how to do that when you were three or four, to be able to, you know, create safety for yourself. But what we're forgetting to say is, but that's the most dangerous way to be now, because now it's costing you your life.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times we don't even know it.
Speaker 2: No, it's in the invisible. I call it like water to fish. Fish don't know what water is. We're swimming in our own consciousness. We're assuming it's all true. We're assuming that this is how we are made. One of the great things about seeing yourself is a source like, oh, it's something I'm doing, it's not who I inherently am. The moment I make a shift in my energy and for you, you can just start to experiment in the next week. Just walk into the room and contain your energy. Just hold your energy close to the vest and see how people now come towards you and ask you to start to do the things you want to be doing.
Speaker 1: You know, I actually made that, which I would say like five or six years ago. I didn't have the language because your book wasn't around, But I did have a friend who was very spiritual and she was like, you should test this out, like, see how the universe will come and conspire to help you. And it did. It is so true. I felt the shift, and in hearing some of your wounds, I think there are pieces of that for me too. So I think for everybody listening, it would be really interesting to think about the pattern of frustration in your life, because everybody has one, and then dig into your book and figure out what it really means and where it's coming from, because you lay them out very clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the second part of the book, I'm actually showing how you are generating for that story is very important that we understand something that I think is also a little off our radar. A lot of the current psychological structures that we're living into or a lot of the assumptions we have we're being led by men, and men do tend to think differently than women. They're not as relational. They're like, you know, solo independent thinkers, and you know, and I know I'm broad stroking, So please forgive me if I'm offending anybody, because we're all a little bit of each and a lot of us women are in the masculine paradigm pretty primarily, but beliefs are actually relational. The person doing research on this right now is Dan Siegel. That guy's onto it. He gets it. So what I mean by that is whatever mirroring I'm getting from you is actually reinforcing my own sense of self. We tend to think of beliefs as we just have this belief that I'm a lone ranger or you know, I'm unlovable, and we connect the dots. There are certain things that happen to us that kind of imprinted us with that impression. But we are relating to it as though it's just hours and hours alone. But it's a dynamic thing. It's an a live thing. It's happening right now. How I am responding to you is generating something for you who or responding to me that you're not just wandering off or reading a book while I'm talking, waiting for me stop talking. So this is important, This matters. So it's feeding into how I then construct myself. Beliefs are relational and how we show up with other people. What our projections are really matters.
Speaker 1: So you're making me think, tell me if I'm understanding correctly or not. You know, oftentimes when I ask people what do you love about your partner, a very common answer is I love who I am around them. And I'm now thinking that is a belief because you like who you show up as because of how they relate to you.
Speaker 2: And how you're relating to them. So one of the things that we're a little weak in collectively right now, this is a place we need to start to grow, is the recognition of what the projection is onto others. So I talked about that I'm alone either people are going to leave me or no one's really there for me, or the I'm not wanted others are going to reject me, or the I'm not safe others have ill intent, or others are going to hurt me. So if you're out with somebody, you know you're on a date. You like this person, but you're not sure about them, and you're sitting there. You know, with this, I'm not safe to be close to people. I long for closeness, but I'm not sure I'm safe because I've been hurt in the past. And you're kind of coming into the conversation because you're centered in that story. What you're projecting onto that person is that they have ill intent. They're going to use you in some way, They're going to take something from you. This is the love avoidant pattern, by the way. So if you're there, how does that land for them? You know, where your body language is a little bit arms crossed, or you know, a little tentative, a little held back, a little bit vicious, you know, maybe flirty. You've got it all going on in there. It actually creates a lack of safety for them because you're not just seeing them, You're projecting something onto them. They feel it and it brings out the worst in them, and then they start kind of push pull, misbehaving, not sure about you, and it destabilizes the connection. It looks like it's them doing it to you, but you actually generated it inside of how you were holding them energetically.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a co creation in any way?
Speaker 2: It could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of times couples couple up they have the same source fracture story, so they're kind of bouncing off of each other, and then they're trying to get to the bottom of it by explaining why they are. Well, my mother and my father and this is what happened with my brother, and if you just understood, you know, but it doesn't really get complete at that level. You can just kind of devolve into forever processing in a way that's kind of irritating, and you never really come out the other side or get what you need. It's wonderful to be able to say, wow, I'm centered right now, and you can say to your partner, I can't have this conversation right now because I am identified with the four year old me and I think you're going to hurt me. I need to talk to myself here. And the power statement for that we go into step three, is like, what's actually true, I'm the source of safety for myself and for others. I have the power to learn how to create safety in my relationships. Now we might not know how to do that right. That's what I call the missing development. And you know, we've been working now on ourselves for a while, most of us here that are in this conversation, we've been looking at ourselves and examining our history and connecting the dots. So we're doing good work. It's not an either or a world healing matters. It's important to connect those dots. But we've got to go into the future because the future is what activates development, and it begins to show you, oh, you're having problems connecting with people because inside of your assumption that other people are going to leave you, you don't rock the boat. Conflict is dangerous the beginning of the end. So we'll avoid conflict. But if you don't engage conflict in a healthy way, you don't ever really bond at the deeper level. You need conflict to bond.
Speaker 1: I think that's such a beautiful and important statement because a lot of the teachings we hear growing up is that it's supposed to feel easy. If you have conflict, something is wrong. One of the things I took from your teachings in this book is the wise self and the wounded self and figuring out which voice is which I think you started to touch on it a little bit, but I'd love for you to elaborate, because I do think that, at least in my work, the noticing how has helped so much, and I think it is actually very easy to notice the wise self versus the wound itself before you start deep diving.
Speaker 2: Look, some of us who've been, like you know, meditators for years, we've had, you know, a lot of spiritual practice where we understand these different dimensions of self. We're able to access a higher perspective. One of my practices every morning that I love to share with people is I'll write a dear wisdom letter. It's done, like, please help me sort this out. This is happening, it's bothering me and really irritable and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. You get it all out. Can you help me to see this from a larger perspective? Please write through my pen, Thank you, and then dear Catherine, And it clicks right in. So it's a practice. You get better at it as you do it. You sort of find these different parts of the self. However, not everyone has access to that, but most of us have access to you know, we're a teacher and we show up in the classroom and we're great teachers and we elevate our student. You know, that's a strength that I have. I had a sponsor of the greatness and students, or I'm a very good leader at work, or I'm a wonderful grandparent. Whatever it is where we find our strength and go into that self. So I'm looking for that self. But I'll tell you one of my favorite stories in the book is the way I discovered this. I was in my twenties and I was an actor at the time. I want to be actor. I went to Tish School of the Arts, I completed NYU, but as I said, I had a major, I'm not good enough. So every time I'd go to an audition, I'd kind of collapse into that and underpresent and get laryngitis or all sorts of shanetiicuants would go on. So I never was able to get any traction. And I had this group of friends. We waited tables together, and one night after our shift, we're all hanging out and I'd had a bad audition that day and I'm kind of crying in my wine and complaining to my friend Billy, and I'm like, I'm just never going to make it. I'm never going to amount to anything here. I am twenty five, right. My stepfather used to say that to me late at night drinking, and I'd listened to him because I was so deprived of parental attention. I was hungry, so I just sit there and listen to him tell me I was never going to amount to anything. So beliefs were formed in relationship. That's why we have to transform them in relationship.
Speaker 1: I just want to reiterate what you said, because that's so profound. Beliefs are formed in relationships, so they have to be transformed in relationship. Yes, that is so big.
Speaker 2: It is That's why these new ways of relating and you get new feedback. Is to graduate your identity from the old identity.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to co opt your story. I want to share this so that people have something tangible to hold on to. I had a belief for a while, and it was my mom's voice saying, you really can't have it all. You can't have a husband and kids and a big career. They don't coincide. And I held onto that. I believed it deeply, even though I wanted to not believe it for a long time, and I worked on that belief, but I don't know that I've fully gotten rid of it, because I think I need to rid that in relationship with somebody who supports a new belief.
Speaker 2: So that's in calling in the one it looked like to expand. So then you see a partner who's actually enhancing your ability. Isn't that beautiful?
Speaker 1: And really how it's supposed to be? Okay, I just want to share so people have like a tangible something to grab onto because your words are so profound.
Speaker 2: Billy reaches across the table here. I am sobbing, you know, like poor me being the dramatic actress that I was trying to be actually but really feeling it in my heart. And he grabs my hand. He cuts his hands over mind. He says, Catherine, I'm so glad you're facing this now. And I went, oh, how dare you say that to me? He said, thank you. You see, because it clicked in the part of me that knew that wasn't true. That was a wake up moment. But I'm giving that story because all of us are holding parts of us that do know that's not actually true. We have to ask ourselves what else might be true?
Speaker 1: What else might be true? That's a really nice way to reframe the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else might be true? So you start to creatively think, you know, well, it's probably not so black and white. I mean, the truth about life is it's not black and white. When you have these kind of knee jerk old stories come up, they're very black and white because when we were young, when we created them, we lacked the ability to hold shades of gray complexity. We wor say, well, mom is in her bedroom ignoring me because she has clinical depression and she needs to see a doctor. No, we're going to say, you know, Mom's in her bedroom ignoring me because I'm not valuable, I'm not worth anything, I'm unworthy of her love, or I'm not good enough to fix her, or however we interpreted it. So we want to name how we interpret it. It's very subjective, and you name it from your body. A lot of us think, well, I have this belief and we're trying to work it out mentally, but lives are actually in the body.
Speaker 1: Say more about that. Is this what you mean when you say a big part of the work is life which like the words that we use to describe ourselves and then noticing the shifts or is that a separate concept.
Speaker 2: No, it's related for sure. So what you want to do when you ask yourself, okay, sweetheart, how old are you? You send love to yourself. You can even say to yourself. We have this practice called the self love power practice, and you say to yourself, sweetheart, what are you feeling? And you just listen for a feeling. You name one feeling, and you just mirror it back. I can see that you're feeling. What else are you feeling? Name one feeling, mirror I can see that you're feeling. Wow, that's a big feeling. I got it. Not changing anything. But what you are doing is now there's two of you in the room. There's your adult self, who's thinking more rationally, who's holding containing that younger self because we want to get the younger self out of the driver's seat. If you act from the younger self, which means you're in reaction, will generate more evidence for that story. We press the pause button. We do not take action from a false center.
Speaker 1: So this is actually one of the things I think people at least the question everything, audience is going to grab onto the most because your audience, Catherine loves manifestation. I think the question everything listeners do too. But you're careful to say, we can't manifest from a false self. So how does getting clear on your identity change actually change what we're able to call into our lives?
Speaker 2: Oh? Everything, Identity is everything because wherever we're centered at the level of identity, generating our lives from and one of the things about manifestation, and this is one of the core essences of the book, let me get the context of the book. Okay, So the context of the book is, first of all, you know, we're at a precarious time collectively where it looks like our future is at stake. So this idea that we can create from the future, that we have agency to influence the future but there is no fixed future, is a critical skill for us all to be building right now right And so when we're looking at the fluidity of life and we're looking at our own effectiveness in being able to generate life, we're really talking about how do we stay out of reactivity, which is only going to create more of the same. Truthfully, you can't really make progress when you're stuck in the reactive mode, which we could also call victimization. I'm victimized by what's happening. I'm at the effect of what's happening. It's stronger than I am. And how do we stay generative of a future that looks bright, the future that we desire? So once you actually claim a positive, possible future. And this is like we have to train ourselves. Something's happening, I don't really like it. It's not going my way, and we tend to go towards the complaint, we go towards the suffering, we go towards the analysis of why it's happening. That's a habit now that we have where I want to start to develop a habit is to say, what would I want to be happening, and how can I actually begin to show up in a way is generative of that. Well. In order to do that, first of all, you have to feel worthy of the future you desire. You have to feel powerful enough to be able to move in that direction. You have to know that the universe is supporting you to move in that direction, and you want to be non victimized and self responsible. Sometimes you just have to get off it. Look, the reason why we get stuck in victimization is because we get victimized. I mean, can I just give that to all of us? Like bad things are happening, we didn't necessarily create all of them ourselves, and we're at the effect of them. Other people behave badly. Other people are being greedy and selfish. That's happening.
Speaker 1: But I think the pushback from people is that they think they do feel worthy. I was on the phone with a friend last night who felt frustrated by the lack of outcomes or the lack of feeling like the universe was conspiring to support her hard work and she is working hard. And I said to her, I think that your outside life is a reflection of your inside beliefs. And she said, I'm very pointed about what I'm asking for and I'm doing the work. I could see it for her the way that maybe I couldn't even see it for myself. But what do you say to someone who's saying, I do believe I think I'm worthy. I want the number one show on TV, and I think I'm doing the things. What is your reply?
Speaker 2: It's true, and I think it's great, and that's what's gotten her so far, and that's why she's there talking to you and your colleagues and your friends. So yes, it's all true. And the value is to go and look at the parts of her that don't want that, the parts of her that might be ambivalent, that might not really trust, that might not want to have to change in the way that she's going to need to change or be responsible for what she's going to need to be responsible for. So that's the value of looking at that. And I think, you know, learning how to tell on ourselves in a searing right, like I'm kind of a hard line or about this. I don't just say, well, I learned that when I was young and had to do this thing where I disappear myself a little bit and you know, the hopes of people choose me or like me better or whatever.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: You know where I'm softening it. I might say it like I don't want to be responsible for you know, the amount of power that I actually have, and so I disappear in my power so that you know, I can lean on other people and I don't have to own my power. I really tell on myself, like what are you really up to? Catherine, like, what's the part of you that doesn't really, you know, want what you say you want. It's not really committed, that's looking for the squirrely out.
Speaker 1: I think that's a hard question to answer. It's necessary, but I think it requires some digging. I don't know that I could come up with mine right away.
Speaker 2: It's being able to ask the right questions. Most of us, when we get stuck in a pattern, we ask ourselves questions about that, but the bottom line question always comes down to what's wrong with me? Why is this not working? Like your friend, what's wrong? What am I doing wrong? But you know most of us will we ask ourselves kind of why questions? Why do I keep doing this? A why question is a little bit leaked with shame. It's one inch away from you know, what's wrong with me?
Speaker 1: That's so funny that you say that. I find that my why questions and interviews are harder for people to answer than how's.
Speaker 2: So then I might say, well, how are you giving your power away to this person? What's motivating you to do that? You know what might be more true than that? What's a generative action you could take to move things in a different direction? So you have to ask questions that are forward moving.
Speaker 1: And can it be a very simple answer, like can the answer be I believe I'm bad with money? Like is it that simple?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then the next question might be I wonder who could help me with that? Or I wonder how I could prove by five percent better with money. Right, it's training ourselves to be developmentally oriented, you know when we had these traumas way back when. And by the way, can I just say something is that in the womb consciousness is being formed. There's a wonderful book called, Oh my Gosh, The Secret Life of the Unborn Child or something that's been around for decades that I quote some of it in What's True About You because their research was so interesting. But they basically, if a mother didn't want to be pregnant, very often that child will come into the world already in an I'm not wanted center and defending that mother and already formulating a personality. But I think that there are people who do pass live stuff. So who knows, you know, maybe we bring these strands of consciousness in. Maybe it's in the lineage, certainly in the culture. A lot of things that we're fighting against the crazy systems of untrue hierarchy and how we value human life. So we're learning the technology of how do you actually stand for a positive, possible future that isn't going to happen unless you actually generate it and you're standing in the part of yourself where you do have access to the power that you need to create that future.
Speaker 1: I learned a few years ago reading a book that imagination is a form of brilliance. It is a form of thinking. I always thought of it more as creativity. It's not. It's categorized as intellect and wisdom. You connect these ideas of identity and imagination, which I found so riveting. You say that we have to get creative enough to envision a new life before we can live it. How can we use imagination as a tool instead of just this wishful thinking.
Speaker 2: One of the things that's very important with manifestation is to make sure you actually have hunger in your heart for the thing that you want to manifest, which is not a small statement, because sometimes you know, we have ideas about our lives. We're supposed to be married, we're supposed to be successful, We're supposed to have this or have that. It's not something that we actually really hunger for. It's kind of an expectation. So that's going to be a harder lift to manifest that because desire is what the universe responds to. But if you have desire that's angered and I can't have what I want story, you know, because I'm not good enough, or because I'm alone, or because I'm damaged. Goods is another one. So if you're kind of somatically centered in that story, hard to feel desire because it's kind of tortuous because you just assume you can't have that and then it's painful. So a lot of us will shut down our desires. So in order to awaken our desires, we have to try on. There's meditations that I give and when you buy the book, that's part of the bonuses is that I created these meditations for people or take you through the practices that are in the book. But you start off a miracle has happened, you already have this. Let's go into the future. What does it feel like to have this? What does it sound like? What does it taste like? You're just using your imagine, you're giving yourself prompts, and you're just giving yourself snippets. I mean, I think this is what a vision board is. The vision boards have no power in and of themselves. By the way, you don't want to just create a vision board and stick it in your closet. The value of the vision board is that as you're creating it, you're owning something, You're opening to something. So it's about opening you up to the concept of trying on having this in your life. So then you keep it in a place where it's visible because you want to recreate your intention for what you're committed to creating every single day. It's not just a one time event or a weekend workshop. You want to sit for ten minutes a day and do this practice about Okay, I'm bringing my future in them, and then you want to start walking through the world as that future yourself. Most of us, if we really sit and listen to our soul, you know, you want to sit with yourself every day. Just sit for five minutes, just be with yourself. Don't be on social media, don't be listening to other people. Just sit with yourself so that you can find your soul and you start to listen to what it is you are uniquely coded for you know, what are you here to do? Well? Daniel? You know you're a mouthpiece. You're the bringer of good news, You're the bringer of healing. Like you are someone who is destined to be in the public, destined to bring wisdom, your wisdom keeper, destined to bring this to the world. You feel that in your soul, like you just know that. So you start living into that future. But you're not living into the future. Like what do I have to do to make this happen? Now? Where you want to start is who would I need to be being in order for this to happen? To be a woman who is wise? Actually, I need to be someone who has something valuable to say. So then you start holding yourself accountable to be that person, You start adjusting your body language. How do you walk through the world. I tell a story in the book We're Thirty years Ago. I started to feel like I was going to be talking to thousands of people, which didn't make any sense to me because I was super shy and the Internet wasn't on board yet, So like, how would that ever happen? I was like a crazy thought. First of all, I didn't even know that I wanted that because I was so shy, but I thought, Okay, well that's what I'm feeling the future, I'm going to be talking to thousands of people. I better have something to say of value. And I started holding myself accountable to being a woman of integrity. I started to my wisdom practice, like listening for wisdom, you know, and really holding myself accountable for being that person. But I had this little fun practice because I used to go into Starbucks every morning and get my morning coffee, and my old typical habit of being because I was so shy, was I punched down and maybe speak softly or something. So I would just say, how at a world class leader of enlightenment and love order their morning coffee, you know, And I would just speak up the ball boys, you know. Because I'm practicing being the self of my future, I'm stepping into it. I have no evidence out here at all. I'm just going to be that until the world catches up. And at the same time, the meditation that I'm talking about too, where you're using your imagination and you're just you're stretching yourself to get these snippets like wow, what does it smell like when you know my beloved's making dinner for me, you know, my favorite dinner, and you're just kind of being in it and basking in it. Then you end with three questions. People can write these down if they want. Where Then you come back into present time and you say to the universe, what will I need to give up in order to manifest this future? What do I need to let go of right now in my life? What doesn't belong here anymore? And you just listen for a minute or two, and usually we'll get an answer of some sort. The next question is how will I need to grow myself? What skills am I going to need to develop in order to prepare to receive this? The third question, what's my next step? What can I do today right now to start to move in the direction of that dream, to start to grow myself in the direction of the dream. So the gain and manifestation is not to get what you say you want, is to become who you would need to be to manifest and sustain it.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the books behind you. You have your newest book, What's True About You? You have Calling in the one, and then you have conscious Uncoupling. And in your new book you talk about uncoupling from old identities. I'm wondering if you see conscious uncoupling as being just as much about separating from an old version of yourself as it is from separating with a partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the technology of what's true about you that I'm making available is at the heart of calling in the one and conscious uncoupling. One of the things that happens in a breakup that makes it so hard to get over and turn into prolonged grief where you don't really get over it for a really long time is the meaning that you make at the level of identity. Usually we choose a partner because we think that they're going to kind of be the healing that we need of the old identity that wasn't good enough. And now I'm like the as salt of the earth for this person, and they're going to pledge their whole life to me, and I'm the one they choose. So it becomes like this great emancipation from the old identity. But as the relationship then goes on and then moves into a breakup, what will tend to do is villainize the other person or blame the other person. That's kind of common in a breakup, and it's almost like a little thing that happens in the brain where you start to devalue the relationship and suddenly that person now is rewounding you in the very place that you thought they were going to heal you. And people get stuck in that story and there's probably still energy where that person is still blaming and shaming. So one of the key emancipations that happens in conscious uncoupling is the ability to reconcile that and to recognize that, yeah, I got triggered into my I'm not good enough and then I started showing up is less than who I am. I convinced you that I'm not good enough. I'm going to take responsibility for that. And how I showed up because I would gropvel, because I'd give my power away, because I wouldn't negotiate my needs or whatever that is. You're taking responsibility for it and how you generated that, how you actually enrolled the other person in your old story when you were triggered and centered in that story, and generating life from that center. What I lead people through is what I call the soul to soul meditation to a very formal kind of ritual so that you're safe. If the other person feels unsafe, can make them really tiny in front of you, but you bring them before you and you explain to them who you really are. It's not who I am. I misrepresented myself. I take responsibility for playing that story out. Please forgive me. I'm asking you to relate to me in the truth of my value and my worthiness. I'm powerful, I'm worthy, I'm valuable, I'm lovable. I am more than good enough, just as I am to be loved and worthy of love, and certainly I'm worthy of your respect. You just do it formally and it begins to liberate the person, and then you have the non local kind of quantum physic realms where there's all sorts of you know, stories that that then shifts the other person and they start to change. But I don't really go into that, you know, deeply, because I'm not writing about that particular phenomena. But I do touch on that in conscious uncoupling a little bit about the non local phenomenon and how much access. But I mean, look, you've been with somebody, there's plenty of proof that we're still energetically connected. So you do have to make peace with that person. But the piece you're making is at the level of your own identity, liberate you from prolonged grief, and then it becomes a really tough lesson learned out. Boy of those life lessons hurt sometimes. But if we're growing and we're learning, and we know we're going to do it differently next time, that's the golden prize that we're aspiring.
Speaker 1: Toward all the questions that you've asked me this last hour and asked us this last hour, they gave me an exhale, and I don't know that I've had that in a while, so thank you. But also I can imagine you have asked yourself so many questions, especially over the last two years while you've been going through this painful cancer journey. Do you feel like you have given the world what you are called here to do? Have you reached that.
Speaker 2: I do have cancer and I'm about a year and a half in and in this moment, I'm in treatment again because I went back into I had a little setback because it had gone down, and now you know, that seems to be the dance that we're in. But I'm seeing progress forward, So I'm very grateful ironically, and this is bizarre. I was writing Conscious on Coupling, I get breast cancer this time. I got ovarian cancer when I was writing this book. Isn't that weird? So of course that's food for reflection, Like what is that? I've come to see it as a grace because both teachings I felt the future of what was opening up. You know, I have this very privileged position of just pioneering new things, you know, calling in the one, even though it's so common now you know your inner beliefs and what you think your inner life reflecting in having something to do with who you call it. Calling in the One was the first one to introduce any of these ideas. As a matter of fact, I couldn't get a book deal on it. We had eighteen rejections and they all said the same thing. She's saying something exactly opposite of what everyone else is saying. So I do have that, really, and I take it like a sacred privilege. I don't even know how it descended on me, because I love it that I think creatively like that. Right, So Calling in the One conscious Uncoupling open something up this book the future that I feel for this book. First of all, I'm creating a new form of psychotherapy because I think psychotherapists are hungry to be trained in well, how do we begin to work with the future to graduate from old habits and patterns. I feel that this book can have a profound impact in how we're all engaging personal development work. And it does have new ideas and a lot more clarity, and I'm looking forward to people building upon what I've now presented presented the foundation of it, and I'm excited to see what's going to open up from that. So I do see that we have coaches, we're training and stuff to be able to get that work out in the world. But both times I had a vibrant future to live into that was very consuming and exciting to me. So I think I didn't talk about the cancer as I was writing the book in the book at all. But I was writing the book as I was in treatment. But I think that the adversity of it, the obstacle of it, the gravity of the situation, brought out the best in me, and I think the book is better for it now because I didn't hold anything back. We're only here for a minute, you know, and you better go for the gold. You better say what you as a soul came here to say, and contribute what you came here to contribute. So I think it embolded me. And now I have a ton of people praying for me. Every day I wake up. I feel like I'm just kind of writing this magic carpet, like I'm just floating on their prayers. I can feel it. So just asking for prayer, being open and receptive to the love that people are showing me has been very transformative and beautiful. So the future I'm living into is full remission, and just speaking that full remission gives me creative ideas. Oh, I could do this today and I could do that today, So it keeps me generating healing as opposed to collapsing into the gravity of the seriousness or the drama of the situation. I also just have practices. I make it a practice, which doesn't mean I do it all the time perfectly, but I like turning things into practices. I don't complain. I just express gratitude because I can feel the energy lifting. Life is fluid. We're creating like all the time, so we want to be conscious of what we're creating.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you a few rapid fire questions, if you'll indulge me. What is one belief about love that you used to have that you no longer believe.
Speaker 2: I think I used to believe years ago that love was just something you found and didn't generate each and every day.
Speaker 1: Is there a manifestation technique you advise other people try.
Speaker 2: I think this idea of you know, what's my next step is a really critical one. You want to take the next step grounded in power center. The first place you want to go a power center, which is you know I'm worthy of the love that I seek, or you know life is on my side, life is not against me. So you want to make sure that your consciousness is anchored in the having, and then you take action from there, and you want to move that needle forward. Whatever you can do, whatever you can clean up, whatever you can sort through make room for there's always one action you can take each day to move yourself in the direction of that dream, even if that's learning a skill like Okay, well, how do I have boundaries? How do I negotiate my needs to keep learning, keep growing toward the future you desire?
Speaker 1: What is what a tool that you learned as a therapist or in therapy that you use often.
Speaker 2: I think it's the ability to know what you feel in any given moment and to know what you need. I talked about the self love power practice where you say to yourself, sweetheart, what do you feel? You listen and your merit back at some point. Then maybe after asking five six times, you kind of clear yourself and then you say, and what do you need? So starting to learn the inner terrain and just really honor yourself. What do you feel? What do you need? You can't always give yourself what you need, but sometimes just the acknowledgment is enough. So keep working with yourself all through the day. Always know what you feel, always know what you need, what's going on inside of you?
Speaker 1: I'm going to take what do you need? And what is the next step? The question I have for you? Is there a question everyone should ask themselves once a year?
Speaker 2: Oh once a year? How about once a day?
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me once a day?
Speaker 2: Now what am I assuming it is true? Let's start living truth really from strength. You know, all of us born at this time have a job to do, and it's to elevate our own consciousness. It's to you know sort out old patterns. If you look at the trajectory of human becoming, you see that each era of humanity had things to create paras or railroads or cities. You know that we're moving somewhere and our generation is working in the inner domain of consciousness. So to start to get a handle on what's really happening within us and to sort ourselves out so that we have the power to live from strength, to live from truth, to live in a way that's generative and even generative of gifts given to future generations of people who'll never know our names. That's our job, so that you know, little girls, little boys two generations from now, just wake up knowing that they are inherently valuable. They're more anchored in truth. That's how it works in the human chain of becoming. So we have a job to do, and I love of your role in helping us. I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Daniel, You're a rock star. Thank you, Catherine. I'm trying to learn from you, truly. Is there a book that you've read that's changed your life, something you think everybody should read aside from your own three beautiful books.
Speaker 2: Well, going through this journey, I've gotten back to an old book that was written in nineteen twenty seven by a woman named Francis scobel Chin called The Game of Life and How to Play It. And she's just hardcore metaphysics. She's still hardcore generate the future you want. So that's the one I've been reading my life.
Speaker 1: That's been my last question is I do the question everything card game? Because we're virtual. You just tell me when to stop stop. Okay, what game have you spent the most hours playing?
Speaker 2: It's funny I just said the Game of Life, and I know I was thinking, gosh, you know, I'm not really a game person. Most of my attention is upping my own anti on integrity. There is this whole thing happening in our world, and particularly with the thought Later world right now, about integrity, and I don't know, there's a lot of conversations coming out that the whole deepacting with Epstein is bringing out into the open, and I think it's a really beautiful conversation. But to me, integrity is everything, and you have nothing if you don't have your integrity. So keeping your word, doing what you say you're going to do, or clean it up, be responsible for what you're creating for others, just living clean. That's my game.
Speaker 1: So beautiful, Catherine, thank you for sharing your time with us. I'm really grateful.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week