Speaker 1: I Am All in again.
Speaker 2: Oh it's you.
Speaker 3: I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara and Suzanne, and today we're going to be talking about Season two, episode eight, The Inns and Outs of Inns, which aired November twentieth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different storylines in this episode.
Speaker 3: You know, I right before we started this, I told Suzanne, I think I forgot this episode, Like not that I forgot, Like I watched it last night and I don't remember anything.
Speaker 4: But it's not that I forgot.
Speaker 3: It's just that there was so much happening and there was no inconsistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to find like some clever little mistake or something, and they're just there was nothing, really anything, which is surprising because there was so much going on. We had we had the Mia situation, we had the Luke or the lore Lions Suki situation, we had the the fake death in front of Dosi's, the portrait at Richard and Emily's house, like there just was so there were so many stories and sub stories going on, and but they it was they pulled it off like there wasn't anything that I could nitpick with this one.
Speaker 3: You know, there was one thing that I noticed, which is like, it's so stupid, but I just noticed it. Remember how last episode they when they went to Friday night dinner, they had corn on the cob. Yes, did you notice how much corn on the cob was in this episode?
Speaker 2: I did notice that they had it again at Friday night dinner and it looked like it had been barbecued.
Speaker 3: I'm like, and then not only that, Suki is like boiling, Oh that's right, she's boiling a bunch of corn a cob, corn like corns corn.
Speaker 4: What's the plural of corn?
Speaker 2: Corn on the cobs? I guess it's more than one cob.
Speaker 3: But there was one inconsistent inconsistent, oh my god, inconsistency in that scene she puts salt on like one of the pots and then stirs a different pot.
Speaker 4: She just let the salt sit there. I didn't notice because I was so I was.
Speaker 3: I was half paying attention to that scene because I was like, why is there so much corn? It's like they had leftover corn props, yeah, prior, but that was really all I did notice.
Speaker 2: There was a guy in the background in multiple different scenes that kept picking up like little tiny eggplants. They were really small. But there were multiple scenes from the kitchen, just like, yeah, at the inn. I started to say the diner at the inn, and he's like picking him up. And then in a different scene like later in the episode, he's in the background and picking up the eggplants. But they were small eggplants.
Speaker 4: I don't know. So funny. Suki had a lot going on. There were a lot of a lot of foods, a lot of fruit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One thing that made me laugh, not it's not an inconsistency, and it was. It was probably it was meant to be there because it was. It was funny. But in the I think it was the very opening scene. They're in the diner and there's jess Is walking around with the coffee pot and there's a woman that holds her coffee cup up to him like she wants a refill, and he looks in her empty cup and just keeps walking. Really yeah, it was. It was at the very very beginning.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It just made me laugh because it was a very just thing.
Speaker 1: To do.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Jess, this was the first time that he met Dean. I guess it was because I literally I paused at the end of the episode and I was like, there's no away, he's been there for a hot second.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That caught my attention too, because he's he said, is this your boyfriend? And she's like, of course, and he says, oh, well you didn't say like did I don't know, Like, wouldn't he have seen them around town or something? I don't know. I was surprised by that too, that this was the first time they had crossed paths.
Speaker 4: But m well, it really sets up the set's up the scene. Yeah, that's the future.
Speaker 2: Yes, the beginning of the drama.
Speaker 4: I did find.
Speaker 3: The one scene I found a little weird is explaining to oh, what's her name?
Speaker 4: Not Mia? Fran explaining to Fran about death?
Speaker 2: Yes, how was he not picking that up?
Speaker 3: It went on for too long in my opinion, I was just like, okay, like, yeah, she's not that dumb, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Speaking of things that went on too long, that hug between Luke.
Speaker 4: And Mia, Oh my god, it was so awkward.
Speaker 2: That was weird.
Speaker 3: It was also too close, like when they like pulled back to like talk to each other. They were like this is my cut. They were like this close. Yeah, like saying it was weird. It was a weird hug. And I understand like the oh my god, we've known each other, like she's known Luke since he was a kid, but like, no, it's too weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the familiarity was was cute, like she's part of the town, like they're establishing that Mia is part of Star Hollow, even though she's not physically there all the time. But like the physical familiarity was weird.
Speaker 3: I mean, Susanne, have you ever have you ever even hugged your husband like that and like talk like it's just it was just weird.
Speaker 2: It was weird, Like we don't stand there and have a conversation with our arms wrapped around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah, it was too weird.
Speaker 2: Especially like they're not family or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I mean no, And also like I understand that he's known Mia for a very long time, but Mia hasn't really been around for the last like ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's oh, it was weird.
Speaker 4: Mia. Do you like Mia? I voted question.
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I like this Mia better than the next Mia. So the season seven Mia was a miss for me. But I don't I don't know. I I mean, lorlyon Rory clearly think of her as a mother figure because she's kind of the one that took them in off the street. But I didn't really get like a warm, fuzzy feeling from her.
Speaker 4: No, especially just in general.
Speaker 3: I don't know she She bugs me, to be honest, and I understand. Maybe it's the actress plant, the how she plays her.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's it.
Speaker 3: But I actually was at the end totally on Emily's side because I understand where Mia was coming from, Like, oh, like I wish I it's not like it's not like Emily and.
Speaker 4: Richard kicked Lareli out of the house. Yeah, she decided to run away from home, and.
Speaker 3: Mia played it off as like, oh, she had no home, and like, I'm totally team Emily, when it's like she had a home she chose to leave. I wish there was another adult who told her you should go home.
Speaker 2: Right, I agree, I think because Laurelay was only seventeen, she wasn't a legal adult when she arrived at the end, so I probably would have made more of an effort to try to find out what the family situation was, because we also don't know what Laurlai told me.
Speaker 4: At right, But at the same time, like you would try to find out at least, you know what I mean, Like you don't want.
Speaker 2: To send her back into some abusive situation.
Speaker 4: You want to talk it out, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Can we talk about this with your parents and try to figure something out.
Speaker 3: Well, so it's been sixteen seventeen years, sixteen years since then Emily met Emily met Mia, so like Mia never thought in sixteen years to try to like.
Speaker 4: Reach out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when Laura I met her, I mean well.
Speaker 3: When Laura I met her, because it also I understand Laura I probably didn't tell Mia like that first day why she was there, but over the years, like you wouldn't, Laura is not keeping rory A's secret or the fact that she got pregnant, and she's also not hiding her past.
Speaker 4: Yeah she doesn't.
Speaker 3: She doesn't talk about it a lot, but maybe two stars hollow at the time, but she's not like lying and make up a story like everyone for the most part, new from the very early on that Lorelei's family lives in Hartford.
Speaker 4: Her parents are you know, somewhat decent.
Speaker 3: People, and that's it, right, So yeah, I just I think at the end, I was like, oh, I'm team Emily on that, But then like as I was thinking back, I'm like, I just don't think I like Mia, which is like a hot which could be a hot take, it could be I think.
Speaker 2: We they didn't. You know, they mentioned her in several different episodes, but we only actually see her in the two episodes, and we don't really get a lot of backstory, Like we know she's living in Santa Barbara, but we don't know why, and she doesn't like it out there, so why doesn't she come back to Connecticut, like you know, what's keeping her? I don't know. I guess I just feel like if we had had if we had understood her better or had more details, maybe maybe it would be different.
Speaker 4: But like what sent her to Santa Barbara and she stayed there.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and you know, but she still owns the end, so it was I don't know. I just feel like we didn't. They kind of left her as more of like a two dimensional character, like they didn't really give us anything about her to hold on to. So so, yeah, I mean, and you tend to forget, like because Lorelai is basically she's doing everything at the end, like she's running the place. You forget. Yeah, someone else owns it, like you forget that it's not Laura, like.
Speaker 4: It's not hers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 3: The one thing that I also didn't like, and it's also could be of the times, and it didn't land well, you know, thirty years, twenty years later or whatever it was twenty how many years are you?
Speaker 4: Twenty five years? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, is when Mia says to Michelle, you've been in this country for so long. I don't understand however she said about his accent. I thought that. I thought that was a really inappropriate dig I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was another thing. The whole Michelle thing between me and Michelle didn't ring true to me either, Like how he How could she not? First of all, she's also clearly known Michelle for a long time. Also, how does she not understand him? And he's not hard to understand, like the rest of us can understand him, Why can't she understand him? I thought that was weird too.
Speaker 3: I thought it was weird, but specifically the line of saying like you've been in this country for so long, like you're I was just like, I don't think that was needed at all.
Speaker 2: Right, that was Yeah, that was not an appropriate call out because yeah, people are.
Speaker 3: Also even back even back then, even in two thousand and one. I don't think it was appropriate. But anyway, it is what it is, not all not everything is gonna land yeah every time.
Speaker 4: But no, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: She did know Michelle for a very very long time, so it gives made no sense in the end, she understood him rash for day two with him, like okay, and also like being in Santa Barbara. There's so many people in California anyway, it's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of accents in California.
Speaker 3: Yes, anyway, other than that, I don't I don't really know if I had anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I didn't. I kind of liked the story. I liked the Lorelai and Suki had an argument. I mean, I didn't like that they argued, but I liked it because that was realistic to me, like best friends have stupid arguments about stupid stuff. Yeah, so I kind of liked that they threw that in there. Talking about people being inappropriate, like Laurla was not very nice to see.
Speaker 3: It was just about to say that was also a terrible dig to say, like.
Speaker 4: You would never also even if you're just like having a bad day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I take it back. Sometimes as you say things you definitely don't mean. However, that was like so uncalled for. And then just all of uh laurale like the way she acted even towards her mom. Yeah, but which I do have to call out. Last episode in this episode were two very good episodes for Emily and Lorelei, Like we are on a good which makes me realize something's something bad is about to happen, because they can't be good for that long. But you know, like even when like Emily wanted to show like this portrait and she just gave like a random dig, I was like, you're just not being a jerk.
Speaker 2: Just she she's upset about the interaction with me, and now she's taking it out on Suki and then she takes it out on her mother. It's like just to deal with it and internalize, like dragging everyone down into your happiness. Yeah. Yeah, So I'm curious to hear like what the listeners think of this episode because there was a lot going on in this episode to kind of move the story forward. So I'm curious, like, did other people like it?
Speaker 3: Let us know in the in the comments on our Instagram post, Yeah, yeah, what did you think of me? Like what do you think of Mia? I really I'm really curious because I I feel like every time I watch it, I'm just like, okay, whatever. And then I really sat down after, like especially the scene with Emily, and I was like, if I were Emily, I would like Mia either. But that moment when she did say she would send photos and that, well, by the way, that's the other thing. You've held onto these photos for sixteen years and you never thought to send it to Emily Gilmore.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never thought that even if Loral I didn't see her mom whatever whatever it is, you wouldn't want that person's mother to see photos of their daughter and grandchild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what really Like now, I remember I was like trying to like, what was the part that.
Speaker 2: You must have had them there because she said I'll send them to send them to you. It must be there. They're not in Santa Barbara.
Speaker 4: I was sitting at the in somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's anyway. With all that said, I didn't hate the episode.
Speaker 2: There was a lot happening, Yes, there was a lot, and just fix the toaster at the end.
Speaker 4: He sure he sure did, He sure did.
Speaker 3: He made up for everyone going against him at the town meeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he showed like a little bit of humanity when Laurel, when Rory was confronting him on the street and he made the comment that, oh, I didn't know they were coming down so hard on Luke. Yeah, It's like there was like a little a little flicker, just barely barely.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Milo looked good, so it's okay.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 4: He looks He looked real good in this episode.
Speaker 2: Actually, chalk outlined was funny. I mean it was.
Speaker 3: Funny, But why was it taking like two days to remove chalk off the floor. I was like, chalk is just like put some water on it and it goes away.
Speaker 2: Washer it'll take you fifteen minutes, even a pressure washer, just as a straight up hose.
Speaker 4: That was the other thing that got me. I was like that chalk was like paint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, well that is all we have for this episode.
Speaker 4: Let us know in the comments on Instagram what you What do you guys think of Mia? Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Next episode, We're gonna be watching the season two episode nine, run Away Little Boy.
Speaker 2: Lots of drama in that one. Looking forward to that.
Speaker 4: We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Meeting adjourned, Hey everybody and altoget.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com