Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is hot pursuit.
Speaker 2: All right, we are pretty excited. I'm definitely personally very excited. Dukati, I will admit, is one of my favorite brands. It's one of my favorite products. I've been riding them for twenty five years now. And we have the CEO of.
Speaker 1: Dukati, Claudio Dominicali, not related to the head of Formula One, exactly different, Dominicolgy.
Speaker 2: Yes, Stefano Domenicali, who did run Lamborghini and now runs F one. They're not related, but they're both like in the motor Valley and Formula one and Moto GP are going to be getting close.
Speaker 1: It's huge. Yeah, I actually think it's a really big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Liberty Media, which owns Formula one, is going to buy Dorna and which runs Moto GP. So now the hope is that Moto GP can grow even close to the level of F one.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you think that we're going to see weekends that have F one and Motorji.
Speaker 2: To me, that's way too much because I already like I'm watching practice, free practice, I'm watching qualifying, I'm watching the Sprint race commitment. Yeah, and so doing both would be hard. You know, my father in law he watches both and I don't even know how is he retired?
Speaker 1: Is he he must be retired.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's a professor of architecture in Pamplona. In any case, yeah, I think it's going to be a lot to put them both together. But we'll talk about that with Claudio as well as his bikes. And we've also asked him to tell us give us a list of what he thinks are I said the most beautiful cars are the best designed cars.
Speaker 1: But I think I was shocked at his answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gives us a list of I think, just cars that he wants in his garage fans.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think he's a little sensitive about the garage issue because that's private. But you know, you do get the feeling he's got his eye on a few things.
Speaker 2: Yes, and but not the like two point fifty gto that. I thought he was going to say, yeah, right, I know we're also going to well, you've driven the Ford F two fifty.
Speaker 1: King Ranch King ran the eight diesel with.
Speaker 2: The high output diesel motor SO six seven powerstroke, twelve hundred pound feet of tours, Tolark, I know, I want to hear about your experiences with that. And then you've got a couple of cool stories on the terminal. Let's kick it off with the Ferrari story. On the terminal. There's a mechanic who's incredibly well known, I think, certainly in LA. What's the deal with Donnie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was an interesting story. On April first, this Ferrari mechanic named Donnie Callaway, who is prominent in certain Ferrari circles, was arrested on multiple charges of felony, theft, trafficking, stolen property, forgery, and fraud. He was arrested in Arizona. There was something that sources were saying with a sting operation where he was selling a couple of Ferraris that did not allegedly belong to him. So this was a big deal because Calloway has been featured on Jay Leno's show. Matt Farrah has sent his Countosh and his Ferrari to Donnie. I actually spoke with Matt, and Matt's comment on the record was that he did fill Donnie gave him good service at a fair price. But obviously there's a lot here and when we really dug into the story, we found out that Callaway has quite a long track record of what I will call legal skirmishes dating back to the nineties. So a very interesting story. He's currently in jail in Arizona and there's a trial schedule for August.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's huge for I mean car geeks, especially if you listen to like the Smoking Tire, you hear about him all the time.
Speaker 1: And it's also it's I mean just I think it's fascinating because it kind of shows that, hey, no matter if you're a very wealthy Ferrari owner, you always got to be on the lookout for mechanics, you know. And it's every.
Speaker 2: Specially I think, especially right, you're a wealthy Ferrari, right.
Speaker 1: And you know it's all of us who dabble in classic cars or whatever have this nightmare scenario about dealing with a mechanic who's not on the up and up, or a mechanic who holds our cars and charges us a bunch of money to get out. I'm not saying that's what Donnie did. This is all alleged, but I'm just saying in general, in theory, that's like our worst nightmare and it can happen to anyone, and it just really makes me think, Man, you've got to be careful about where you send your cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, absolutely, so very interesting story. I recommend people check that out. You can see it on Bloomberg dot com. If you're a client, you can see it on the terminal. Just bio Hannah Elliott two l's, two t's. That's it the the I really want to get your take on the F two fifty because you haven't told me. We text each other obviously and I call you sometimes, but you haven't told me anything about it. And my take on this big truck is that, obviously it's a work truck, so it's meant for you know, jobs, but I feel like all the torque makes it quite luxurious to drive.
Speaker 1: What do you Yeah? So okay, I have to say my disclaimer in front of all of this is, obviously I did not take it to a work site. I was not a contractor using the truck how it really should be used.
Speaker 2: So and it had the tremor pack. Did it have the tremor package?
Speaker 1: Yes, it had everything. This is like one hundred thousand dollars truck. And I had fun I think I did send you one photo mat which was of me at home depot buying soil and you know, pretty flowers I saw, woll I think, yeah, yeah, of course I put the dog in it. I mean, it's fun. I actually drove it to Riverside to look at some puppies out there, so, like, I know, I had it out and about I you know, it seemed great. It's big. Yes, the torque is incredible, super fast, although I did not find it especially quick once you get up to if you're trying to move from forty five to fifty miles an hour to seventy miles an hour, of course I started instantly missing all my supercars and sports cars that I drive because this truck doesn't have that type of punch where you can hammer down from that speed. But from the line, I mean, I was just burning everyone. It kind of makes you drive like a jerk in a way completely, and it's fun. It sounds super cool. I loved driving it because obviously, this skinny white chick is not what you expect to get out of that truck, and I'm very aware of that, but also in a way it's not It wasn't so usable because I couldn't drive it to work because it didn't fit in the parking garage.
Speaker 2: True, I had with super duty and heavy duty trucks, and I.
Speaker 1: Had to park it up the street because it didn't fit in the driveway.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So obviously the turning is not fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have to say the interior. Here's a thing. The interior had a lot of interesting details, like stitched snakes and you know, etching.
Speaker 2: And I love I love the etch dash and the king rim.
Speaker 1: So I had a friend in that truck and she thought it was damage. She thought somehow it had been scratched, and I said, no, no, it's supposed to be like that. See, it looks like a pretty design. And then she saw it. But at first she thought it was just like something right.
Speaker 2: I can't understand the initial glance, Oh, someone just scraped this up. But when you look, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: It is really ornate. It is really ornate. And of course it's nice that the back is huge. I mean, it's functional that you can put your lunch on the center console. It's it seems made to have a crew of guys with you. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. Fun and yeah, well I'm glad you got to drive.
Speaker 1: I want to get into Chevy though.
Speaker 2: Yes, now, yeah you got to try the Silverado twenty five hundred hd ZR two with their high output Duramax YEA and the Alison Trum.
Speaker 1: I will say one more thing about this. I was not impressed with how the car play and the infosttainment synced with my phone. It was all over the place. No, I mean, I'm used to being in syncing with Mercedes technology, which is the most seamless, the fastest, and not to sound like a brat, I'm just saying that's what I cover, and so it was interesting to be in this in the Ford and it just was not as quick as intuitive. It just felt a little like a couple of years old.
Speaker 2: I do think their infotainment system and this is the Achilles heel for so many car makers these days. Leaves a lot to be desired. Even car makers that have achieved what I think is like near perfection, then they then put out horrible like BMW was so great for a while and now it's like so confusing. I know, I know, it's like you think you don't need it, and frankly, I'd either have a car or a bike without it. But if it's going to be there, it should be perfect.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Because it starts to get a little bit like a gnat that just gets in your space and you just want to flick it away, but you can't avoid it.
Speaker 2: And what else drives me crazy is and I think that I drove a King Ranch as well. Yeah, and I didn't have any complaints about it this time. I think they used the banging Olifson system. But a cross manufacturer is not focused on forward but across manufacturers when they license these names banging Olifsin or what's the one that jeep Harmon Cardon? No, No, well they all sort of have Harmon Carden to start as the bas system and BMW as well, but the upgraded one on the Jeep is a Macintosh, right, which is like, these are twenty thousand dollars amplifiers if you want to buy on for your house. And a lot of them have used Bow's obviously in the past, and they never the sound systems. It doesn't seem like the manufacturers are really trying their hardest.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, if you get an amazing sound system, in, but the truck itself or the vehicle is still not on that level, like maybe there's some rattle, oh you know, or poor acoustics in general, poor sound deadening, some rattle. You can't get around that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why manufacturers just don't spend the extra couple grand Yeah, put the top grade sound deadening and put really good drivers and amplifiers and cables and lots more money. I know, but some have done it, like the Meridian in the range Rover is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, In any case, that's always been a pet pew of mine. I finally want to ask you about Formula one before we get to Dukati, because you have a piece, oh yes, about how to do Formal one on a budget. Going to these race is and living this life is so expensive that most of us, and also I prefer sometimes to watch it on TV. But if you do want to hang with the crowd, you know, at the Grand Prix, can you do it on a budget.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can if you are careful about how you define budget. And I think you know I agree with you. First of all, I myself wouldn't be spending my own personal money to go to most of these races. It's really expensive. I go because it's part of my job. But you're so right, and I don't think it's unfair that a lot of Americans just hear Formula one and think automatically, this is too expensive. You know, this is elitist. They imagine Monaco in the seventies or something, and part of that is not wrong. But there are ways that if you decide this is going to be our special thing and we want to do Formula one, there are ways certainly that you can save money. I mean, the biggest to me, the biggest, most obvious one is and this is gonna maybe hurt a little bit, but don't go on race day. Go go for the qualifying rounds and practice rounds because tickets for those are far less expensive. But you still get the bulk of the atmosphere. You still get to see cars going around a track, You'll still get to see drivers, You'll still get a lot of it. But it will save you hundreds of dollars in tickets alone and passes and all that. I know that's a controversial thing.
Speaker 2: No, actually I think it's a great, great idea because well, I don't know about F one, but if I go to Moto GP on just for free practice or qualifying. It's less crowded. It's easier for me to move around, and I have a much better chance of seeing pilots or seeing mechanics and actually talking to people getting my picture taken, because you know, that's not the huge mob completely.
Speaker 1: And I have to say at the Jetta race, I was actually there on qualifying and I've had so much and you're right, the crowds are far less crazy and you just kind of feel like an insider, which is cool. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: And then you get to watch the race on TV at your hotel and it's frankly, it's much better. I mean, obviously the sound and the feeling of the engines is intense, but you get that in qualifying, and then yes you do. Watching the race is much better on TV because you can actually you're not at one corner.
Speaker 1: And I love hearing the commentary and that's really how you learn when you're able. It's like the old guys who would go to the Dodger games with like radio earpieces listening to commentary, but they're sitting in the seats. But they're sitting in the cheap seats. But I mean to me, that's actually more interesting because you get a high, higher level perspective while some of the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, yeah, one hundred percent. I would never thought about it, but you're right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah so. And the other thing I would just say, like on the idea of a budget is obviously local races that are closer to you are probably going to be cheaper. For instance, you know, if you're in Los Angeles, you've got Austin, but you've also got Vegas, and then you've also got Mexico City, which the flight actually to Mexico City might be cheaper than you know, a flight to Montreal or obviously to England. So like, really be careful about which race you choose, and don't assume that Monaco is the most expensive race. It's actually not ticket wise, So yeah, it pays to do your research at.
Speaker 4: Homore, I think Apropos our next guest, it makes sense to segue in from F one to Moto GP and Fromoter GP to the Branning World champions I've known Claudio for probably I don't know, over a.
Speaker 2: Decade, at least maybe close to two. I've obviously been a du Katisti for at least two decades, more like three. I got my first Monster in nineteen nine.
Speaker 1: I actually learned to ride motorcycles at a Monster too, so we have a lot in common and it was a very great experience, I have to say, so permanently endeared me to Dakati.
Speaker 2: And Claudy has been there even longer, right, Claudia, you started in nineteen ninety one, is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know it all.
Speaker 2: Yes, I heard that you don't want to talk about liberty, but we obviously have to ask a little bit about Moto GP, and.
Speaker 1: This is exciting.
Speaker 2: First off, I've been rooting for Dukati and Moto GP for many years and it hasn't been since Casey Stoner that we were successful until Peko, and now you're defending a third world championship for a third year, or the possibility of a third year. What is it like to be not just on top, but to absolutely dominate in the sport?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very nice, I have to admit, and actually I've been quite a long path to get there, because you know, with Casey who won the championship quick, but then it was more complicate and many as difficult. But finally we were able to put together the proper team of people rather make a big difference, but the whole team when you're not doing once, but you do twice and then actually are still even in the beginning of the third championship like we are now, always fight for the audium position or even for the win, means there.
Speaker 3: Is a system. It's not just coincidence or Lakia Claudia.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious. You know, we're talking about dominance in a racing series, and you know I follow and cover Formula one a lot. I'm curious about how closely you relate to like a red ball that is so dominant in F one right now? Are there parallels between your dominance and Moto GP and red bulls dominance in Formula.
Speaker 3: One similar in a way? For sure in term of a result.
Speaker 5: Actually, what we can say maybe is that in motojiped there are more than you do ctis, so actually the races are there's more competition now and so it's a lot of more uncertainty. And on the other side, in terms of technological position of our bike, it's for sure very good. I have to say that Formula one, the car makes maybe a bit of a difference, more difference, and so once you get their dynamic right or the package right for the other are very complicated. In in bike, bikes are closer one with the other, so difference are less and so competition is very close.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the fact that the European brands are doing so well. Obviously Ducati, you know, is winning all the races, but KTM is doing well, and Aprilia shows a lot of promise. At the same time, Honda is doing badly, Yamaha is doing badly, Suzuki quit. What's that all about? The Japanese brands are all at the bottom, all of a sudden, and the European brands are at the top.
Speaker 5: So I think there's been a kind of in the last five ten years. So it's not coming just in the last year. It's been a very strong innovation stream that I think you cut it made better than anyone else, and then some other follow us more closely, and some others find more difficult to follow. And the bike's technology for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's been quite conventional, and some.
Speaker 5: Brands or some factories or some companies are very goodly refining, and so you keep refining and doing a bit better and a bit better, but.
Speaker 3: In a concept which is very almost the same.
Speaker 5: While if you take a picture of a bike of ten years ago a picture of a bike of today, and you can't give today it's a completely different animal.
Speaker 1: What is your thought about growing the popularity of MotoGP, especially in the US. I know there's I think one American team racing, but you know, not to bring it back to Formula one again. But we've seen, of course F one really take off in the past few years. Do you think about, oh, we should try to do a similar move with MotoGP with that benefited or is that not really part of your consideration on a day to.
Speaker 3: Day No, I think it's a fantastic opportunity.
Speaker 5: We are mega happy about this thing of liberty media taking a kind of the global control of MUNTIJP. Still, of course it's not.
Speaker 3: In action. It will take time and.
Speaker 5: Then there are still some validation process. But for sure are the potential of a sport which is tactular like montogp in US is dramatic, you know, so we are may excited about that because we are so much invested into manto GP and we are very well known and recognized as the leading technological brand.
Speaker 3: And so the benefit for our brand.
Speaker 5: For Lukati in US of the growing popularity of Manto GP, going above and beyond just the community of the hardcore bicas, but getting wider. It's very very interesting for us.
Speaker 2: I should point out that Cloudio obviously the CEO of Ducati, the whole company, so he's thinking about other things besides racing. But if I'm not mistaken, Cloudio, you came up through Coursa, right, you came up and ran the racing division before you took over the broader company, so you're pretty invested in the racing side of things.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I actually, you know, we founded Dukati Course in nineteen ninety nine and there was in an notary studio actually signing the document of when du Cate Coursu was born and we created that company in order to enter into MOTOGPI. It's already more than twenty years ago, and then it was managing director of Ducti Course for the first part of.
Speaker 3: My career in that days.
Speaker 5: So yes, I'm very committed to racing.
Speaker 3: But actually racing and Dukati are very committed anyhow, you know, it's part of the passion.
Speaker 5: And the reason why dukatisti or ducatisti, you know, this kind of getting into a club which is not only about adding a motorcycle, but I being a much broader sense of community and much broader sense of belonging.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm so curious. You've mentioned leading the forefront of technology a few times, and of course we know that's true and accurate. And I've also heard you say in other conversations, you know that electric is the future. Can we talk a little bit about electric motorcycles? Do we need one? Who's asking for one? Is it just part of belonging to a larger group that is focused on EV's where's do culli right now with that conversation?
Speaker 5: So I think that ev two wheels, how we do intend in dukati, which means emotional two wheels. So it's not talking about mobility, but it's talked about entertainment. It's still a little bit a question mark because of a number reason.
Speaker 3: A reason.
Speaker 5: Number one is the sound, which actually is very big part of the emotion.
Speaker 1: That's still a big consideration. It sounds like the cycle.
Speaker 5: And actually when you come to racing, for example, you come to see a race, the sound of the bikes passing bike. It's a very strong part of entertainment.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So the same is when you ride the bike through Kenyon so and then the other part is, apart from the sound, the global behavior of the bike, which has to do a lot with the weight and so then to be so the compromise between the range and.
Speaker 3: The weight of the bike. And so when you are on four wheels.
Speaker 5: It's much easier because actually you can easily afford to get a bit of a bit of a heavier car without really being a drama. And then most of the TV fun actually focused on the zero to one under or zero to sixty mile an hour if you are us, and then you get a fantastic performance in acceleration with four wheel drive kind of maybe five hundred kilowap engine, but still when you are going through corner is more complicated, so a number of things. Nevertheless, we want it to be part of the game, and so it's it's and technology is moving quite quick, so even the battery are changing the performance quite quick and so what it was possible five years ago and now it's for sure the forefront of technology I've moved and what it will be possible in five years even the front. So this reason why we enter moto E which actually I'm not sure you are aware, it's kind of a full evy race series which actually exactly it's like formularly, but there is a difference because it's run by the same promoter. So instead of being run on a difference here Equita and formally is mainly in cities, he Equita, this is run by Dorner and this together with MotoGP in all European around, So all European around of MotoGP you get also the moto E races. And we've been asked by the promoter to develop motorcycle.
Speaker 3: So a single make serious.
Speaker 5: So we have taken the challenge to invest the money and resource needed to develop what is currently the most performing and advanced to wheel vehicle when it is on the racetrat So a lot of brand are kind of making proposals, let's put in this way.
Speaker 3: But then when you have to come to a point that the bike really developed.
Speaker 5: A performance and it's a really emotional product.
Speaker 3: Now it's it's on the top and so we learn a lot.
Speaker 5: We learn a lot in how to play with the motor which actually the electrical motor is a very different animal, and then you need to get to be an export motor. On inverter on chemistry of the battery, on software, how you play with with all the software, and actually we build all of them in the house. We hire people and so we have a building, not just a product, but we are building knowledge.
Speaker 1: In your opinion, is it going to be easier to evoke emotion and passion out of a motorcycle run on e fuels rather than a motorcycle with an electric motor.
Speaker 3: When the fuel is available. Definitely yes.
Speaker 5: So the main problem of fuel is that are still not completely accepted.
Speaker 3: So there are discussions going on.
Speaker 5: Let's say for the European community, there is kind of a ban talking about cars not bikes at twenty thirty five for internal combustion.
Speaker 3: Engine, but there is an option that are on the table.
Speaker 5: They are debating that the cars will be accepted if they run on ethuel.
Speaker 3: But it's not all it completely validated.
Speaker 5: So the oil company even they are not completely now moving into setting up the plan because then in all this discussion, then you need companies to take decision to make investment, and so definitely yes, the feud is a fantastic solution that would get both the emotion and the CO two neutral. So the reason why, for example, you can use in close environment like MotoGP or omor one and then I think would be a fantastic solution also for a high end supercar and for high performance motorcycle.
Speaker 2: I want to talk a little bit about the consumer products that you have. I'm obviously a big fan and have owned many Ducats in my life. I never have owned one with a single cylinder, but I'm looking forward to doing that soon because you just put out the Hypermotarch six ninety eight mono. I remember talking to you five or six or seven years ago in Frankfurt and you were telling me that you were doing supermoto with your son and you were having so much fun that you wanted to make a smaller bike on which that was possible. Now you've done it, tell us about this and what else have you got up your sleeve.
Speaker 3: So that you remember that, So that means that there was not lying, you know, that became real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exciting. I mean, I can't wait to ride this thing. I've already watched the videos and it sounds amazing, but it's also cool that you developed bikes that way, like you got into it. You were having fun on something else and you thought, Yukatti can do this, and now you're organic. Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 5: I think you touched most probably one of the core points of the reason why do cut exist, you know, and why we're doing okay, because really we, most of us, not just me, you know, most of us are really enthusias about the product, and most of us we are actually enjoying the product ourselves. And so it's a kind of it's a fantastic opportunity to take the technology which is available and then to think about the future and then to think about what would be exciting, you know, and we do things that we like doing, and we are doing in a way that actually it's so well connected with our most passionate client that actually resonate with them. And then finally they buy it, you know, and so we can make out of a living and the company is successful as financially. We ended up the last two years with the first time in our history going above one billion euro in revenue. So we have grown a company to a decent size, you know. For actually when I joined the company, thirty is always a small artisanal style.
Speaker 3: Manufacturing.
Speaker 5: Now we were below two thousand bike a year and now we are in the range of sixty thousand. So we're not big because still look cut. We remain a specialty for people that love very kind of high level, high quality, high technology product and they're willing to commit for.
Speaker 3: The effort on having one.
Speaker 5: But it's very interesting that we really are very much technical driven, so we are connecting with technology. We are kind of a bit of technology beak if you want, you know, so we either the software or the how the engine is is made. We are very excited about that. But on the other side, we are not doing for the sake of doing. So we are very often on the road with our prototypes and bikes from competitor and we compare them and actually we want to really we consider ourselves as the kind of with this fantastic branding and uh, and we have a group of passionate people outside that resonate with us. And so there are a lot of new things coming uh, which of course I will not tell you anything about. But but but really, as you know, we are in a the world is complicated because actually geopolitic is complicated.
Speaker 3: So we are not kind of.
Speaker 5: It's always difficult, but we are with so close link with with our shareholder now that is make it possible for us to continue to increase investment into new products, so not only the electric but actually we are studying a lot of different things and also expanding the product range you're seen. We are enter out to motocross, which will be another very exciting chapter for us, for example, because there is a lot of passion there from supercross to actually also a number of cross count reversion and a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: And a lot of young Americans.
Speaker 5: Start on two wheels just with an off road, so it's it's for sure.
Speaker 1: Another I have a question about that, Claudia, that just brings to mind. You know, in my limited experience and exposure, it seems like there is really a difference between the European motorcycle rider and the American motorcycle rider. How would you describe the difference in what you're seeing between riders in Europe and the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe kind of.
Speaker 5: In Europe, the motorcycle is also a daily commuter thing, yess is poor pure entertainment, that's for sure. And you find a motorcycle in the city in Europe, and of course a lot of people in Europe use the motorcycle over the weekends and they use it for touring or they use going on the racetrack.
Speaker 3: But also you go to.
Speaker 5: Milan or Roma, or Sari or even Barcelona, you find a lot of bikes into the city, while in US is a bit more difficult. Some CDs maybe you in San Francisco and you find them, or even somewhere in New York, but actually in the middle of the country, it is more complicated and more difficult.
Speaker 1: And talk to us a little bit about the Scrambler sub brand. I'm curious how much that has contributed to this big growth that you've seen, number one, and then also how has it affected the very aspirational image of Dukatti. Obviously Scrambler was created to make Dukatti more accessible to more people. How has that changed the dynamic of the brand image? But then also the just straight growth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that Scamber has been a nice opportunity because it gave us the potential of reinvent an icon that we had in our past that was exactly Ducati Scamble that have been.
Speaker 3: For many young.
Speaker 5: People in the sixties, been a kind of sixties and the seventies been a kind of really something to dream about, and we could generate a part of our company that was not so much committed to performance in a way, so being interesting for also an audience which is much more lifestyle, is much more about customizing your product and enjoying riding without somehow the stress of being a fast rider in a way, you know, which is a little bit of what happened when you are Redukati, you know. Uh. And but on on the other side, it did not change the positioning of the Red brand. So the Red Dukati, I mean the Red Dukatti, which is style, sophistication and performance, so which are our core value very.
Speaker 3: Clearly, uh.
Speaker 5: And that in the in the in the body of any one of us here in the company. And so it's been a nice extension that gave us the possibility to have new people joining the Ducati family. Because yes, you enter as a scrambl arista, but still.
Speaker 1: Is that the word for it, scrambler with the with the American accent.
Speaker 2: It's a hard r I want to Claudia, I want to know about your path to to do Katie, Like, how did you get into you know motorbikes, and I mean for those listening that don't know, Claudia is a very fast rider. So all the executives are telling me like, he's one of the fastest guys at the track every time you go there. And how did you get into because I know you're an engineer, but you also care a hell of a lot about design and beauty and you know, I guess that's Italian? But how did how did how did you grow up and get into this and and stay there for so long?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of questions.
Speaker 5: I love, I love the point and so actually, how I've we managed to remain for so long? Actually I always tell a joke whichly, when I joined the company, I was engineer number four, were only engineer, and so I usually tell that I just needed to kill three or to file three, and then I became the boss, so which I think is more it's more complicated and difficult now because we are more than three hundred and fifty engineers, you know, so when it's joining.
Speaker 3: Now, it gets more difficult. But it's pretty straightforward. Basically, I was a type of a.
Speaker 5: Guy in that you know, born in eighteen sixty five, and so in that eighties. In the eighties, you everyone here was very passion in this Motor Valley about bikes, car. Everything is fast, you know, And so I had this passion. And when you are in your fifteen sixteen year old there is something which is in common unless you are very special, and there was not anything special that you are without money, So there is no money around. So the only way to be fast on something is to buy a bike because the the EU times fun factor it's unbeatable, the one for the bike. You know, if you want to really enjoy being fast with the car, to spend in the hundreds of thousands. If you want to enjoy with the bike, you're on the ten of thousands. So that's what was the thaing. So I got into bikes, but it was quessionate about cars both whatever, which is still are which I'm still are.
Speaker 2: That's good because we want to ask you about cars as well. And I know you're president of the Motor Valley Development Association, so you know, it's amazing when people go and understand that in one place basically is Dukati, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari. You know they're all right there around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a botto making.
Speaker 2: It's pretty unbelievable. So, you know, we we wanted to ask your take as an Italian, as the CEO of Dukati and as the head of the Motor Valley Development Association, what do you think are the most beautiful or the best designed cars?
Speaker 1: Conic? Yeah, for the ages?
Speaker 2: So why don't we Why don't we kick that off? When you think of the most beautiful cars, the best design cars, the most for you, the most passionate, timeless cars, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, if you have to pick just one, actually it's quite obvious and it's ninety eleven.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a shocker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't expect it either.
Speaker 3: You said it's timeless.
Speaker 5: You know, so actually I think the philosophy, which actually is the only one, because I just they gave me the break because they made actually proper good homework, and so I just.
Speaker 3: Throwed down three cars that I love.
Speaker 2: Let's start. Let's focus on the nine to eleven first, because of course the shape the silhouette is timeless, and I imagine that you've had a chance to drive a few of them. Now, since you're all under the Volkswagen umbrella, Well, do you own any tell us about your experience with nine to eleven with Portia.
Speaker 5: Not yet, not yet, but have a plan. Okay, so I'm building a garage. I'm building garage. That's the first start.
Speaker 1: It does the plan and involve modern nine to elevens or older air cooled variety.
Speaker 3: More than nine eleven. M A type of a guy that like the modern stuff. But I I I.
Speaker 5: Consider that that car in special is the one uh that they've been able to be continuously different by remaining the same, uh, which is typical of an icon, you know. And and by the way, uh they've been able also in terms of technology to make the car fantastic in the current nine nine two nine eleven GT three it's it's a it's a it's a mega car, you know. And they keep making that even with the manual gear box, so it is kind of uh a Swiss Swiss mechanical swatch. This still being incredible emotional and and never nostalgic.
Speaker 3: So this I think it's it's it's their parents. But if.
Speaker 5: Then I put down the other two cards that I think I really I like, especially which is the STO which I think that we made together the street Fighter and I think that this car was a very extreme one.
Speaker 3: Uh and the Ferrari two ninety six.
Speaker 1: Those are very interesting answers because the nine to eleven Hurricane Sto and the two nine six are not the wildest and craziest top of the line models in each of those portfolios. In fact, they're more usable. They're they're considered more of the Swiss Army knife, I mean relatively speaking. So that's very interesting that you mentioned those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't talk about that.
Speaker 5: But you pick a real nice thing, which is which is really my way of It's what I like. You know, it's my personal choice. I'm not saying it are the best one. But if you want the most those power and it's not this car, okay, but yes they are the ones. They are in a way, the GITT three, it's it's the most party in a way.
Speaker 3: But still you can do every day usability, you know.
Speaker 2: The multi Strata, for example, in my eyes, is the perfect Like if I could only have one bike, it would be the multi Strata. It's so much fun to ride on the track. You can do cross country trips with it. Truly is like every street off road stuff is possible. Obviously, it's hires need to be switched. But I would say that I would say the weakness probably is kind of the navigation sort of hub. Right, the software is the is the problem there? How hard is that to crack?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's it's it's it's not dramatically are but let's say we uh we.
Speaker 3: In this product. Uh, that's not our strongest part. Let's put in this way. So we have a plan.
Speaker 5: And for Shoot software, it's very very relevant and I completely agree with you and understand what is the need. So we are working hard on that in order to have on the future.
Speaker 3: Uh, not just a fantastic.
Speaker 5: Proposal in term of engine delivery, driveability and everything, but also the connectivity part will be on stage with all the integration that is needed and how our client are used to.
Speaker 2: It's the best seller too, isn't it the best seller of all the bikes?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It is, uh and actually is keeping growing and.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit of you know, the Cutty was born around Monster and the ninety sixteen, so let's say sporting naked and.
Speaker 3: A sporty fed bike.
Speaker 5: Actually, now we have a different products on the motor range and multi Strada itself. It's a very important pillar because you are an expert, so you understand that with this bike you have to pick only one that's a multi stud. Muti Stud is my personal bike.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite if I have to pick only one, because really.
Speaker 5: You can use as a sport bike, but it's very comfortable. You can do long range, you can carry a passenger, you can use in a city, you can use oproad as you said. And actually, funny enough, we still have the image of being a MotoGP company, so we find it difficult to explain and convince that you can take a multi strata with a proper tire, doing a proper offer. But still when we do comparative tests, when journalists do comparative test on the up road, we win most of the comparative test, even against the other brands that are really supposed to do much better. But we took seriously and so and I'm a strongly believer of taking the time of doing things. So we are now in the fourth generation of multi strata. More and more people enter into that, you know, because actually there are more people that actually trust us and they believe that.
Speaker 3: You can be on a du cut in a comfortable way.
Speaker 5: You can be on a Ducati in a longer range way and it can be even up road, and so the family is keeping growing and we are keeping investing.
Speaker 3: We just every year we release different versions.
Speaker 5: Sometimes we go more in the direction of being a more long range or off road, like we did with the Rally recently last year with a thirty liters fuel tank, and on the other side we release at the same time the multi start RS, which is the most party with the desmal system and one of the its power. So we continue to try to keep the center of gravity of the brand stable. So if sometimes we enter with the model which is more touring, then we want to reinforce our position and the hupper part with more sports version in order to keep the center of gravity stable.
Speaker 2: Clardio, it's been awesome spending time with you. Thank you for thank you so much committing this hour to us. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: It's been a pleasure of Madels on my side and let's keep in touch. Has been wonderful talk again with you and also Hannah. I mean I've been impressed. To be honest, you are a strong Connoscert So actually I would love to meet the first time. Actually I'm in the us or actually are.
Speaker 3: In Europe, but both of you.
Speaker 5: Actually, it would be nice if we can meet and maybe have a chat and a dinner together would be fantastic.
Speaker 1: That would be nothing more. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'll try and set that up, Claudio, look forward to seeing you again. So that was Claudio Dominicoli telling us a lot about everything.
Speaker 1: I guess he's interesting and I do want to go have a proper Italian meal with him.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend World Ducati Week. It's an incredible gathering in Remedy, Italy of dukatisti from around the world. Obviously, the food is delicious, but the coolest thing is you can ride with the group and you would probably be able to ride next to Claudio and you do go on like an hour long ride around the area, which is.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. I just had a vision of Ducatti making a sidecar. I don't know, why, can you imagine? I feel like that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I've never seen a Ducatti sidecar me either. If you ever go to Bologna, you can check out the Ducatti Museum and there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, well that's it for this week. We'll be back next week, same time, same place, and definitely shoot us an email, because we read, we respond, and we try, and when people give us suggestions, we try and incorporate them into the program. What's our email address.
Speaker 1: The email address is hot pursuit at bloomberg dot net Hot pursuit awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, that's excellent.
Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller, I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Bloomberg