Speaker 1: It's nine og one O Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling. Hello, welcome to another episode of one OMG. Guess what. It's just me and Amy today.
Speaker 2: Don't be mad IM next week, toy, We'll be back. I know I said that last week.
Speaker 1: See well what we'll she'll be back.
Speaker 2: We weren't gonna not do this because you're a drug addict.
Speaker 1: I know it needs to be talked about fully.
Speaker 2: Does also, I do want to say something because as everyone knows, I read the Instagram. I know we do take it's seriously the topic of addiction. I do. I know I'm being a little bit more I don't know, lighthearted or being funny a little bit about it. And that's just because this is a show from thirty years ago and some of the things they did were so it was just handled so differently then. So I don't want anyone thinking that we take it lightly.
Speaker 1: Why why why? What was the what did you read? What were the comments?
Speaker 2: I think I must have said something kind of like something about the addiction. It's more the way they're depicting it. To me, I don't think they're always depicting it. I don't so so accurately. If it was depicted more accurately, I think I would be in with the drama of it. I think that it was a different time, so I think someone was disappointed in the way that I and rightfully, so the person is correct. I was sort of dismissive or making fun of like him doing coke behind the bathroom or whatever it was. Yeah, which, yeah, yeah, And I don't mean that, That's not my intention, but I still do want to like be able to criticize some of the portrayals. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is not We're not This podcast is all about having fun and rewatching a show that we made over thirty years ago, and you're right, there's things that just don't hold up. And then there's a lot of stuff that we call out because having never watched it before, I didn't know what was happening on the whole show. So we we tend to talk some smack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's all good fun, I think for me. I know, we reiterate this a lot, like and it's all wrapped up with a bow in forty four minutes, and that does happen in some ways with this storyline, like we you know, like you were burned you were in a cult, like and it's just gone gone like Donna was abused. It's gone like It's just so that's sort of where we're coming from. But I did really appreciate that comment, and I thought about it quite deeply. So I appreciated that person writing that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Keep them coming, because you know, we like to be we like to stay on her toes.
Speaker 2: And sometimes actually I do agree with us, which is yeah, because everyone can sort of see some of the things too.
Speaker 1: This this episode that we're about to talk about, though, you guys, is so good. I really enjoyed it. I don't know, because I was in it a lot. Maybe I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Very Kelly centric episode. It's essential.
Speaker 1: I like seeing about her dad, and I love seeing Jackie Taylor.
Speaker 2: Ah and a lot of accurate things from Jackie. I think my first thing was I didn't realize how rich Kelly Taylor is by her father, like that he flies private everywhere like that, dude's real rich.
Speaker 1: He's real, real rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I realized that at the time. Like you know, we always hear references and Kelly's got money and da da da da da dah. And but that guy's got some dough even though he's a total absentee father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't really focus on like how wealthy these kids are because of their parents. I think that would have been more fun to like take a.
Speaker 2: Look at because Steve is very wealthy too both. I think Rush and Samantha have a lot of money. I think Mel is like fairly okay, do you know what I mean, like comparatively, but like they're not struggling, right. Brandon and Brenda were definitely like lower on the socioeconomic levels of these kids.
Speaker 1: Right, But now we just don't talk about it anymore. It's sort of like that doesn't matter, which is kind of cool because ultimately the kids are going through what they're going through, and that's the relatable aspect of it, and I think it would be less relatable to just talk about how rich they are all the time, maybe, right, but it did.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, wow, this guy's got to his own plane. I mean, this guy's like loaded.
Speaker 1: This episode for me was like this is where I feel my character jumped the shark.
Speaker 2: It don't, I don't think so quite yet, although I know what you're talking about, like because just suddenly, yeah, this person who really has their bleep together, just spirals. I think a little tidbit. It is not the same actor obviously, that has sort of the like at the graduation, you know how we see your father. We don't hear from him, We just see him at the graduation or like part of him. Yeah, that was just a different guy.
Speaker 1: It was so not a big deal. I don't even remember it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the first time we actually meet your father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's played by a great actor who was on General Hospital I think for many many years. He passed away just a couple of years ago, a few years.
Speaker 1: Ago, John Riley. Yeah, well, we are going to get into it right after this. iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app. Okay, let's do this. Season six, episode seventeen, Fadeen, Fade Out air January tenth, nineteen ninety six. Amy, You're Up.
Speaker 2: Ellie finds herself disappointed by her father once again and turns to Colin's coke to numb the pain. We're really giving the way the ending there. Nat is happy after he reunites with a former fiance thanks to Steve. Joe's heart is on the line. The starting line, Oh and Brandon better watch out because Jonathan Caston is coming back.
Speaker 1: Directed by Jason Frisley, Written by Meredith Stein, Steve Weserman, and Jessica Klein. This is exciting. This is another Jason episode.
Speaker 2: He's really like improved his director. It's really like because it's it's a good episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I never was taken out for a moment by him by thinking, oh, this is adjacent episode like I just was in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's completely changed, like he's barely become a director now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like it's yeah, it's really good. This is a great under watch. Let's start. Let's start episode recap peach Pit. We're starting to We're starting at the peach Pit with I don't even know what's happening with this. Steve is promoting the Roger Corman Film Festival by hanging up posters, but Nat is not into it.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, such an old timey Yeah, I was like into me Corman, Harvey Korman.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest, I didn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 2: That must have been.
Speaker 1: Significant to maybe Jason was a fan of his, or.
Speaker 2: So you guys could get I don't know, I don't know, because it was just so random.
Speaker 1: Is sitting with Jackie and tells her that her dad is moving to la and Jackie tells Kelly not to believe him because all he has ever done is disappoint her. But Kelly reminds her mother that she has always been well taken care of by him.
Speaker 2: So this is where we look. We're always reminded that you have this absentee dad. He's never been around, and yes, Jackie's been problematic, but she's always been there, and this is where the money comes from.
Speaker 1: I love Jackie's line here. I guess when you have such low expectations, every crumb is a meal. They kind of get into it in that scene, like Kelly calls.
Speaker 2: Her out and Jackie's ultimately right because this guy does it again.
Speaker 1: I was kind of feeling like, as a mother of women Kelly's age now, I was kind of and having, you know, being divorced from their dad. I was kind of like, I don't like the way she's I know she was disappointed, and I know he's disappointed her in the past, but I still was like, I don't think Jackie should be talking about Kelly's dad that way. It doesn't it didn't feel very like it was right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these days, like with cop parenting and like it's definitely like the therapist would not recommend that. No, that being said, what is she supposed to do because she knows he's gonna leave.
Speaker 1: And he does, and she's gonna have to pick up the pieces again. Yeah, that's what Kelly and Jackie do for each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just how as a parent, how are you supposed to warn your kid to not like that their dad's a bad guy? Basically? Yeah, how do you do that without talking trash about the dad?
Speaker 1: Well, you have to teach them. I feel like, instead of talking badly about the FO, you have to teach them life skills how to deal with this situation, whether it's coming from their father or anyone else in their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a Yeah, It's like she could have said, look, I hope things go great. I'm so glad he's here. I'm so glad you're gonna get to spend time with him. I don't know, do you say, like, in any situation, prepare yourself that you know, past behavior predicts future behavior.
Speaker 1: There's a more eloquent, you know, supportive way to handle it probably. So Kelly goes to meet her dad on the target and he lands in his private plane and he can Yeah, he's fancy. He confirms that he's going. His plan is to say, and Kelly says, welcome back, Dad. You take him back.
Speaker 2: Real quick, because we have not seen him since graduation.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's definitely a daddy's girl in her heart, but she's just never even well.
Speaker 2: She wants approval from this guy. She wants this guy to she consider it. Like if he stays, she's good, do you know what I mean? Like she's doing the right thing, and he stayed because I'm so great. It's it's a deep psychological thing.
Speaker 1: Here at the cu Joe got hurt playing football and Donna's very concerned. It's got an ankle injury. People, but dundun, dunn. I knew this was coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Steve invites the gang to the Roger Corman B Movie Film Festival and Claire and Kelly run into each other in the bathroom. Kelly shows her, for some reason, the vial of cocaine she's carrying.
Speaker 2: Are you still it's been days?
Speaker 1: I think it's like at the bottom of her purse, Like she hasn't she forgot about it.
Speaker 2: Nobody does that.
Speaker 1: Nobody forgets about their carrying coach.
Speaker 2: Nobody is carrying around an illegal.
Speaker 1: Substance without consideration.
Speaker 2: Just like it's a stick of gum.
Speaker 1: That's true. Well, let's hope they're not.
Speaker 2: Tidbit about Roger Corman. He passed away just not even a year ago, and I think he was like ninety eight or ninety nine. Ooo. Yeah, good job, Roger, good life. Yeah it's not Harvey Corman, which is what I was like, do they mean Harvey? I don't Still Roger Corman is a director, producer, and actor trailblazer, so he must have been like quite a big deal, handsome, handsome guy. Anyway.
Speaker 1: We also see Kelly tell Claire and just lay down some more pipe about that she's going to be getting back with the parents she's been missing all these years.
Speaker 2: So much foreshadowing because it's like, don't forget the drugs, audience, the drugs are still here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all like reminding everyone. It's also kind of was weird that it was like a moment between Kelly and Claire because they don't ever have any even though they live together there, they don't ever have any like deep moments. So I was like, oh, right, those two are friends. I forgot their roommates friends.
Speaker 2: They definitely aren't like enemies in any way. They're just not like super bff.
Speaker 1: We haven't gotten to see that relationship at all, and I kind of liked it.
Speaker 2: They're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's cool.
Speaker 2: She's always great in like all the scenes, even though it's like she has I don't get the Steve thing. She's always great, like she's not.
Speaker 1: She's very authentic to her character, and I yeah, they could have done so much more with her character because, like you said, you know, she delivers every time. And yeah, I think they could have definitely given Kathleen more work to do.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and a love interest that we were like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're gonna go see Colin in his big new art class, which guess what Valerie happens to be in. What are the coincidences? Back at the beach House, Joe is more injured than he thought, and he tells Donna that he is going to go see the team a doctor after all. Okay, great cossa.
Speaker 2: Wall silting up to it.
Speaker 1: See Pops in one of Roger Corman's VHS movies yeah, and they see that is.
Speaker 2: In the movie. Assuming this is a real movie that Roger Corman did that Joey Tata was in.
Speaker 1: Ye had to have been, because there wasn't you there was no technology to like do that right, Nat in there on the VHS tape.
Speaker 2: Aha, I just had a whole moment, boy, because that's why they had to use Roger Corman, because they had to use some big person from a movie that Joey Tata was actually in.
Speaker 1: Interesting he was a hottie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do like this storyline where we meet I.
Speaker 1: I do like this, Yeah, what's coming?
Speaker 2: Oh it was called The Unholy Rollers and it was in nineteen seventy two. And so there you have it. Because this woman stays.
Speaker 1: I know, we haven't gotten her yet though.
Speaker 2: Maybe Yeah, sorry, sorry sir.
Speaker 1: So that's fun. We get to see nat as early acting chops.
Speaker 2: Well done and well done by Jason Priestley just directing them and figuring all that making it all work. Yeah, it didn't seem forced, No, and it.
Speaker 1: Was kind of complicated to get all the story.
Speaker 2: All of it in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: Kelly's driving her dad and he tells her about his drug use back in the day and tells her that he wants to see Jackie again, and Kelly says she can arrange that.
Speaker 2: Boy, oh boy, we got Yeah, we're definitely getting the like we're really yeah, we're definitely getting smacked in the head with the drugs. Right.
Speaker 1: So, Kelly grew up having her parents do drugs all around her, and I'm sure she just saw in her home all the time and her boyfriend's doing drugs.
Speaker 2: And that's probably why she tolerates it, do you know what I'm saying, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Not as well she doesn't like it. Though she she.
Speaker 2: Tolerates, she doesn't break up with him or bail. I think she's you're sort of on the edge with him, but you look, yeah, exactly, she's almost there. But she does go over there with her dad and then he's Colin, of course, is just a high as a kite's feeding around.
Speaker 1: But poor David and Valerie have nothing better to do than sit around and talk about Colin's coke habit. I don't really that the scene with them was like, I give them their own storyline. I don't know. Uh, Kelly's dad was m Ia most of her life and Valerie says that that explains her wanting unavailable men.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we do get a little tippit into like David I wasn't friends with her then, you know, because he didn't become friends with you un til high school when he started dating Donna, because he all kind of thought he was a dork.
Speaker 1: All right, he was the one that was like videotaping her from around the corner secretly. But what she says that that explains Kelly wanting unavailable men.
Speaker 2: That's not the take I would get because they're not unavailable. It's it's why you tolerate bad behavior.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: She's kind of putting it that was it's always a catchphra his own available men. It's like, no, she's attracted to men who are troubled and m I a that we'll just like her dad.
Speaker 1: Well, we go and we see Kelly take her dad to the beach house, where Donna says hello to him.
Speaker 2: She's not a great therapist.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's a good point. Okay. Back at the beach house, Kelly takes her dad to the beach house. Donna mentions Colin, and her dad wants to know all about him and that's where Kelly tells him about Colin's co cabot. But that doesn't Jack later from wanting to stop by.
Speaker 2: But okay, you would tell your dad, like in a casual conversation like that.
Speaker 1: Well, that means that the avenue is open. They've already discussed Jack's drug use, and now that you know, she maybe feels comfortable talking about it with him now more so.
Speaker 2: But if I said to my dad, oh, yeah, my boyfriend does coke, my dad would be like your dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're dam You're not dating him anymore, You're oh good. Then we go to the Condor newsroom where Jonathan calls looking for Susan and he tells Brandon that he'll be back next week and he wants to see her. Such a weird exchange, like the boyfriend of the girl. This Jonathan guy is snooze rooney. But he's also not afraid to try to intimidate Brandon, which I kind of like he.
Speaker 2: Is ballsy, this guy guy. Yeah, that's like yeah, and it's just like he is not he's not care he's not going to respect him his care. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Stephen Claire tried to convince Nat to appear at the film festival, but he refuses. Now are we clear at this point why Nat doesn't want to go to the film festival. What's he's got? Like a bug up? His buddy doesn't want to go to the well.
Speaker 2: I think it's because this is when he fell in love and he was hurt, and so he doesn't want to go back to it. That's why I would have liked the whole storyline.
Speaker 1: Though, like what was happening with him.
Speaker 2: That would have ruined the surprise of Steve finding the girl. Somehow we find out that there was a girl.
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: We figured that out. Maybe he'll tell me I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Let's see, we're going to go back to see you. Because these kids are in college, let's don't forget. And Kelly, yeah, there's no classes, there's just the quad. David tells Kelly to be careful about trusting her dad, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Everybody's warning you. H m hm, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Then Joe gets checked by the school doctor and he wants him to see a cardiologist. Do schools uh, this is me, I didn't go to college. Do schools have like a doctor's office like that?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh, yes, of course there's like, actually, that's a big benefit of college. There's like a whole sort of urgent care type of place and doctors, and I think you even get like some sort of medical care by going to the school, Like you can totally go there for everything, like all all your needs, all your needs. I think they have, you know, like mental health assistance, uh like planned pregnancy type type of a place, like all your things. That's that totally was correct, That was that was good.
Speaker 1: So the school doctor, though, listens to him take two deep breaths and decides that he needs to go see a cardiologist.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, this is where I start to make fun, just because it's very lickety split all these things, and the doctor's so like, I don't think anything's wrong, but.
Speaker 1: Go do this nickety split.
Speaker 2: Okay, something's wrong.
Speaker 1: Maybe he hears like a heart murmur or abnormal heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe they did an EKG and we just missed it.
Speaker 1: Kelly goes house shopping with her dad and that old, same old real estate agent what's her name?
Speaker 2: He shows up all the time, and she's somewhat famous. I like it her in life, like she's sort of the famous kind of actress. I googled her.
Speaker 1: Elaine Joyce.
Speaker 2: Yes, I googled her because I was like, I know her from so many things, and she was just sort of of the time and maybe even a little bit before, Like I easily could have seen her.
Speaker 1: On Love Boat. Yeah, she's a great Like, yeah, I wonder where she is.
Speaker 2: Now she's around. I googled it. Sometimes that does happen when I'm watching these and I just I have to pause because it's gonna drive me nuts. There's a lot of those sort of That's what I did with John Riley too. I was like, I know this guy? How do I know this guy?
Speaker 1: I love seeing those like familiar faces from the nineties that you don't know where you've seen them before, but they just pop in.
Speaker 2: That being said, I know i'm jumping ahead, but the pain I felt when your dad doesn't show Oh god, we'll get to it. But it actually that I was like, I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: So he basically says to the to Candice the real estate agent, Hey we're in. I'll sign the least. So he's moving into this big house by himself in a Hancock Park.
Speaker 2: Where was it did they get the area?
Speaker 1: I honestly I know that that was just literally down the street from the actual wallshouse in Altadena, but it looked like Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: It was ritzy.
Speaker 1: This is when we go to the wallshouse and Brandon goes to Valerie for advice. Come on, This.
Speaker 2: Is because he had such guilt over the message. So basically he went to her because she's sort of a conniving So he gets the call, he doesn't give the message, which that's something that big of a deal, like, oh, why would you?
Speaker 1: Oops? I forgot That's all he could.
Speaker 2: Also, I would just say to her, your fool boyfriend keeps calling. I'm not down with that. Anyway, he goes to Valerie to find out, like, what do I do because I didn't leave the note and now I feel bad about it, and she's got her snaky plan, but it isn't under the paper. It was a good plan. Yeah, And then we had sort of the moment where she's like, why didn't you give me the message? And he's all, uh, it's right here. I was just like, oh my god, that was a little bit of a capery thing that Jason Priestley would love in an episode. Yet I liked it.
Speaker 1: I liked it Kelly takes her dad to meet Colin unannounced. This is not ever a good idea to take your father to meet your boyfriend who you know has a drug problem. Just go show up at his house, and that's not a good idea, Kelly.
Speaker 2: So I have to say this scene gave me so much like secondhand angst that it must have been acted well, because I feel like Colin's sure was way too unbuttoned.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was a mess.
Speaker 2: I was so uncomfortable and he was extra extra, like you know what scene he was, That's what I'm saying, Like I believed it. He was so un comfortable and he was trying to be like it was almost like he wasn't sweating, but couldn't you just picture him just sweating Like I'm trying to I'm on drugs. I'm on drug I know. It was really question because I everybody knows I've never done a drug. If you do coke immediately, do you get the effects?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're asking the wrong person because I've never done that either. So we're gonna have to bring in an expert, like you.
Speaker 2: Know when you take an advil. This is my only like comparative. It takes an hour.
Speaker 1: I've seen it done enough to know it's an instant, like how to your brain?
Speaker 2: Okay, because advil, I have to wait that. I'm like, oh this thing, look.
Speaker 1: At that go into your stomach and it asks to like assimilate. This is cocaine. You're snorting it into your membrane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it going to your brain? What is it? Where does it go? It is so bad, guys, this is not a good drug.
Speaker 1: Coke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he gets the effects real quick.
Speaker 1: He's really good at it, like at a split as I like to say, and Kelly can tell that he's high, and he says, it's so mad.
Speaker 2: For good, She's so mad, rightfully, So this guy sucks.
Speaker 1: Well, she did come over unannounced.
Speaker 2: I just okay, first of all, I agree, But yet she should be able to go over.
Speaker 1: To her boyfriend's house and not be worried that he's like gonna be all crazy.
Speaker 2: Maybe with her dad. It's a little bit awkward, Like you could have gone over un announced, but you're bringing your dad. That's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was weird, okay. California University. Jonathan calls the Gondor and Susan realizes that Brandon never never gave her the message, but she apologizes when she sees the post it note that he.
Speaker 2: And he's snuck in there because he's a little snake because he gets advice from Valerie, Like, why wouldn't he just be like, I didn't give you the info because I hate this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why would I? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right? I don't think it's that dramatic.
Speaker 1: I could have just been more honest. Joe asks Donna if you could get checked by her dad, who is a cardiologist. She says, sure, no problem.
Speaker 2: But first he okay, right, he's actually says, can the coach get checked by your dad? He's kind of lying because he doesn't want her to know yet.
Speaker 1: Right, right, because he he wants to see what's up.
Speaker 2: First, correct, because he wants to know what's going down.
Speaker 1: We go back to the peach pit, where Steve tries to get out of Nat why he ended his acting career, but Nat does not want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: We sort of doesn't. Steve keep pushing and find out that there was a girl involved. I think maybe not in this scene. There's one more. Somehow we learn of the girl well, because she's.
Speaker 1: At the Roger Cormick.
Speaker 2: That's right festival, she's there.
Speaker 1: She goes there to.
Speaker 2: See Nat because Steve at first promotes that Lucichio is going to be there. That's right, I said the name, right. I hope I did.
Speaker 1: I think he did?
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yes.
Speaker 1: So that's where Joan Diamond makes her entrance and she says to him that to Steve that they were engaged twenty five years ago. It's juicy, right, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's on umber juicy and this is this is the beginning of a thing.
Speaker 1: And she's a horrible Oh my god, they're perfect. They're a perfect couple. So Steve walks are over to meet Nat and they are so excited to see each other. His face lights up and she's so giddy. It's really cute. I love that scene.
Speaker 2: It's great, and you totally it's they're great actors because you're like, these two are in love.
Speaker 1: And that's where we find out that Nat did in fact have a promising acting career until his dad got sick and then he had to take over the restaurant for his dad, and yeah, had to like his dream of being.
Speaker 2: I apologize that I forgo Oh my god, I fully forgot this because I was so hooked on the girl. So it's because of that, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like a storyline. I'm just excited to see something different from Nat and she's she's great.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So we go out to dinner with Kelly and her parents and they're all happy, the little clams there together. He tells Jackez he's moving back to Beverly Glenn and Jackie tells him that she lives with mel.
Speaker 2: Is that where it is. Does they say, is it Beverly Glenn? He does.
Speaker 1: He specifically says it's in Beverly Glenn and she's no way. We spent so much time.
Speaker 2: There, Okay, So I knew they called it out where it was, so it was Hancock Park that I thought, but it was Beverly Glen, which okay. So Beverly Glenn is like Beverly Hills adjacent.
Speaker 1: It's in the b H post you know, the Beverly Hills post office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the swinkiest of ver Airy says Beverly can be.
Speaker 1: It's the hills of Beverly Hills because Beverly Hills is flat, yes, and the flats I think are the super swanky because Brentwood.
Speaker 2: Glen is the not the the fanciest part of Brentwood. I mean, we're all talking relative just rich rich rich hashtag rich.
Speaker 1: I mean, sign me up. I live there. But if I had my brothers, I would live in the hills of Beverly Hills. I don't know. I'm just a hill girl. Are you a flats girl? Because in LA we have a lot of different like elevations. You can live on the hills on either side of the Hollywood Hills, and you can live in the flats, which is more like the nitty gritty flats.
Speaker 2: Because I like to be able to walk places, so I like Brentwood. I like walkability. So I live in Brentwood and I can walk everywhere. Now it's not as fancy as up a bit. Also, I can't afford to be up a bit, but because these are like ten twenty million dollar houses in Brentwood. But I love like I would. I think if I had dough like a lot of money, I'd still go for the walk ability, which there are some fancy houses. Yeah, I love to be I don't want to. I don't want to use my car, especially in LA. It's like brutal mm hmm. I don't want to go east of the four oh five. Yeah, because you like to be able to, like be by yourself.
Speaker 1: I like to be alone on the hillside in the wilderness, and I don't I walk in my neighborhood. But I totally walk in the neighborhood. And you get a better workout because it's up and down, up and down.
Speaker 2: I like to go to the country Martin and see if I'm bump into that's my worst or whoever?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I love it. Where was I I was at?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't even want to admit it. Okay, So somehow I got talked into becoming a member at Airwon right, my god.
Speaker 2: Wait, first of all, even I'm not that you paid to get to get a small discount.
Speaker 1: You pay to get to pay for way over priced things.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you get to pay less when you're a member.
Speaker 1: There are perks, like you get discounts on the hot food, which they have, an amazing hot food you get. This is for me.
Speaker 2: This was the clinching judgments.
Speaker 1: I could give the membership to one other person, So I give it to my daughter because she goes there after school sometimes and.
Speaker 2: Gets something get or smoothie.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I was getting a discount for her basically, but it's the free smoothie for the members every month.
Speaker 2: That's you get a freeze smoothie. You get the Haley beeber smoothie.
Speaker 1: You can't get that when you have to get the one that they tell you you can get. It's like.
Speaker 3: Okay, and it's I was so excited the first time I went and I was like, I'd like to have my free smoothie please, And then I waited for like forty five minutes for it because that's what you do there, and they brought it out and it was like a child's size cup.
Speaker 1: I was so disappointed now that place.
Speaker 2: First of all, I do love it because it's the prepared food is like pretty top notch there, but it.
Speaker 1: Is it's ridiculous. But why am I talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I saw the guy from h I can't remember his name.
Speaker 2: I get it for you. Give me some decases.
Speaker 1: Okay. He was in Modern Family. He's got red.
Speaker 2: Hair, Jesse Tyler Ferguson d.
Speaker 1: My daughter was like, oh, there's the guy from Modern Family and I glanced up and I was like yeah. And then I just.
Speaker 2: Shop at VICENTI dudes a lot because the Airwan is like fifteen more minutes away. And I see often the dad from Modern Family, Al Bundy. What's his real name? Name? His real name, I know, but he was Al Bundy. Also what's his real name? Ed O'Neill, you don't know. Family is also and then I used to see Marsha across all the time from Melrose Place. To bring it back around.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, this is a celebrity you'd never know when you go out in La.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, if you go to head into LA, give us a message, we'll give you all the spots because it's not what you think.
Speaker 1: No. I had some friends come in to do a to shoot with me from QBC and so they live in Pennsylvania and they were so excited to come to LA and go to Arawan on their places to go.
Speaker 2: If you need to know where you actually see the celebrities, I can tell you because it's again it's not where you think. Nope, it's the little hidden, hidden places you can Dean s Gana. Everybody te Gana.
Speaker 1: I'm not going there now. I know where I'm not going to.
Speaker 2: Tuscana is amazing, but yes, it's a it's often filled with celebrities. Where were we? Okay, I do know this. We're at dinner with Jackie and Kelly's dad and Kelly and everything's hunky dory and they, uh, he's moving to Beverly Glen and they shared such great times. This is what I was trying to psychologically figure out. If something happened at the dinner that made the dad leave leave.
Speaker 1: No, nothing happened, or maybe he heard Jackie. Maybe his whole motive was to come back and get back together with Jackie. And Jackie tells him that she is happily unmarried and living with Mail.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know. I don't know, but something happened because suddenly this guy's gone mmm gone.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Uh, Colin comes over to Valerie's office and he demands his cocaine back. Oh my god, and she tells him that she gave the vial to Kelly. I mean, I love the way she's like, I just gave it to her.
Speaker 2: It's like, first of all, what like, it's it's hot potato with the vial of cocaine.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, you should probably just flush it. That would be my recommendation. He's pissed though.
Speaker 2: Maybebe he got it at the Rose Parade. Just dump it in one of those cans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get rid of.
Speaker 2: H can be traced back to you boop. There's ten million people there there.
Speaker 1: But now we know why she didn't. We'll get to that a minute. Next morning, at the beach house, Kelly tells Donna what a nice night she had with her dad and her mom. At dinner, Joe calls Donna to tell her they won't make it because he has an appointment for his echo cardiogram.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, I forgot I have an appointment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he doesn't tell her yet. Oh. Valerie calls to check on Colin, who's sound asleep, and for some reason, she's the taker, the caregiver for a calling. Now he says he had a fantastic night and he stares at a blank canvas because he couldn't get the coke to help him finish his painting.
Speaker 2: Can't stand this guy.
Speaker 1: Uh, Then we go and see Kelly does this work?
Speaker 2: It's painful. This was really bad.
Speaker 1: Kelly so excited she goes to the house. She meets Canvas, the real estate agent, and they're waiting for their for her dad to get there. Yeah, so he never shows up.
Speaker 2: So that was so sad. I was like, oh gosh, I'm sure he's coming. I'm sure. It's just like an eight year old being like at the door with her like overnight bag, like waiting for their dad to come pick him up. And the dad doesn't come. It was like, well acted, you know what. The acting in this whole episode is like everybody was on top of their game.
Speaker 1: I thought so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing was really like oh uh, so we.
Speaker 1: See then Joe tell Donna the truth about his potential heart issue and that's when she decides to go to the appointment with him.
Speaker 2: Well and he's going to get a second opinion, and she's like, that's good, my dad would recommend that. But we're going to the sketchy team doctor or something. Who this is my take on it. Nope, you're cleared because they need this guy to play football.
Speaker 1: Really bump bump bomb. Oh no. So the aftermath of Kelly being her dad being a no show, she rips out of there and goes and calls her dad's hotel and she finds out that he checked out, and she's so upset she starts draped driving like a crazy person. Which I was watching this episode with my family and they were like, Mom, that's how you drive now, Like.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very funny. I also thought the driving scenes were very realistic. I didn't feel like you're on one of those fake things. No.
Speaker 1: I like that when you see them driving the car like real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to make it real. The security at the private airport is a bit lax because you're able to fully run into the office, fully run out to where the planes are with just have you ever been to.
Speaker 1: A private hanger? Like, have you ever found like that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's kind of like that. You can just literally basically go into there and hang out. Yeah, it's weird, weird, So we're going back to the peach pit. Nat says that the film festival changed his life because he was reunited with Joan. Yes, and Brandon and Susan are talking about going to San Luis Obispo, although they don't know where that is, which is weird. Uh, and Susan says she will not be going out with Jonathan when he is in town. That's all she had to say.
Speaker 2: From the beginning, Dan Luisibispo rigamarole for them to not know where it is, and it's like you guys know where it is, Like, we all know where it is. It point's halfway between La and San Francisco on the one oh one. And even then kids were going to cal Pauly. It's like where this is. It's one freeway. You literally can take one road from are you drive right through it. It's like and everyone knows the Madonna in everyone.
Speaker 1: So like you said, have you ever wait, hold on pause, have you ever gone to the Madonna in?
Speaker 2: No, because it's not my kind of place, because it feels.
Speaker 1: It feels dirty. Yes, it's so dirty. I stayed there, I swear to god, dirty twenty nine years ago.
Speaker 2: It's like everyone loves it. And I guess, like boys go into this bathroom there where there's like a waterfall. I think this is like a famous thing at them. There's one of the public bathrooms, not public, but you know what I mean, not in your room, like the bathroom. Yeah, and you can pee, sorry to say the word pee through like a waterfall. So like everyone goes into the boys bathroom and they can like pee through some kind of waterfall. Be making this up, but this is what I heard.
Speaker 1: Was that fun for boys?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I drive by the Madonna in all the time, and it looks like a hot wreck, Like it's like dilapidating, very touristy. I think, so for me, that's not my favorite spot.
Speaker 1: I stayed at the Cave room. I stayed in the Cave room. Every room is a different theme. Yeah, I remember I stayed in the cave that's very themed.
Speaker 2: You know who has a beautiful spot in San Los Obispo. Do you remember the Bachelor Andrew Andrew Firestone.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he actually owns what I think is one of the nicest hotels in San Luis Obispo. It's like more in this sort of cute part of like where school is. I can't think of the name. I'm so sorry, Andrew, because I'd love to give you a shout out, but it's very cute. I went and checked it out, and I was like, oh, this is nice.
Speaker 1: I'd like to go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll text him. You can go there. It's cute.
Speaker 1: Let's go see Andrew Santis.
Speaker 2: Obispo's cool, except i'd rather, if I'm being honest, sorry for this tangent, go to Los Alevos. That's my more my speed, and it's like only about an hour, so it's like, I'm never going to stay in San Luis Obispo because I'd rather just stay in Carmel or Losa Livos.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that, Amy. I lived in Los Livos for seventeen years and it was amazing, first of all, and it's like even better now. Yeah, it's gotten like more of a hotspoty on.
Speaker 2: The ads end, in which I didn't love. But no, it's packed on the ends. It's like the NAPA of Santa Barbara. And you know there's an o bearge there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we sound so bougie, like we just sound like we are from Beverly Hills and this is just but like I say, but my pennies, it's so good. It's so first of all ridiculous, Like you know how I can go there's because of points. You use your Amex points. Everybody, Oh okay, so just do all your spending, put all your bills on your Amex and then at the end of the year you've got enough travel points to stay at the Bear one night, one night, okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Back to the show. We go for the second opinion for Joe and the football doctor tells.
Speaker 2: Him that that was the sketchiest thing ever. First of all, there's no way doctor Martin's wrong because he's like a world renowned surgeon, and the sketchy team doctor is telling the quarterback you're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't believe him. He looked, he looked. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that was so bad.
Speaker 1: And then Kelly ends up at the airport where she's told that her father's plane took off ten minutes ago, and she races out, even though she just they just told her it took off, she races out to make sure. Yeah. Oh but that scene was heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: I'm good acting.
Speaker 1: My husband cried.
Speaker 2: Dave was like, oh, you just made me cry. Okay, it's so funny because I got First of all, I laughed so hard. Can I tell you guys a story. So Jenny and I are on the phone the other day chatting away about a bunch of stuff, and Dave came in, so I'm on speaker talking to them both. Oh but I literally knew that Jenny left and either went to the bathroom or to like get some water, so that she just save and I she doesn't say, like, wait, talk to Dave. I'm going to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I just handed him the phone because he had a lot to say and I've heard it all before, and so I was like, well, amiel handle it.
Speaker 2: I went in and I.
Speaker 1: Literally got distracted in the bathroom, drew myself a bath. I was like, full on self caring, and then I was like, oh crap, Amy's still on film the day. Yeah, I don't know you.
Speaker 2: I was like, he just needed to do something. So she just gave us each other so that Dave and I could just like because I was in the car, so I was down to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, oh my gosh, that was fine.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you just called me on that. I completely forgot about it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, back to this, I cried to this episode. I cried this episode too. I was like, oh my gosh, and.
Speaker 1: This this is where it goes off the rails for me. Ah no pun intended. Back at the beach house, Kelly gets home and she finds that her dad sent her flowers and a card saying that he got a textile deal that he couldn't pass up and is headed to Milan, and he left her check for three grand and tells her go buy yourself something.
Speaker 2: Pretty, oh, because that's like nineteen ninety five or six, whatever year we're in.
Speaker 1: We looked it up, was like it that's equivalent to like almost ten grand.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. Ten grand. That's a lot of money. Yeah, to give a kid in college ten grand. My niece is lucky when I sent her venmo or twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you know, you go get yourself some lunch twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: My mom still does that. My Fiona turned eighteen and she gave her a card that had twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: So cute person of all it adds up, yep, so Cata, you just got ten grand and now you're going to turn to drugs.
Speaker 1: Kelly's so upset. She finds herself staring in the mirror and that's when she makes the decision to get that old vial of coke out and she decides to try it. But it was weird because like she puts her head down as if she's gonna, you know, snort all that cocaine, and then her head just stays down there for the longest time.
Speaker 2: Like I think Jason probably was like, Okay, I gotta make it clear what she's doing but like he didn't. He wasn't ready to have you come back up. No, I think the episode ends just on the back of your very short hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's a wrap on that pod. It was like in and out.
Speaker 2: Now we're in it. This is the next in a long line of traumatic events. Ms. Taylor, Oh boy, you put through a lot.
Speaker 1: You guys have to tell us though, do you do you agree now like watching this back, that there's no way Kelly would do cocaine. Yeah, it just doesn't track with them.
Speaker 2: I guess though. If look, both your parents are have drug issues and it is genetic. But I just feel like you, it's just not your move.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you're so like not you're so an antiet And again I don't know. And so people can tell us that you're that person that goes the opposite, right, you tolerate it with your parents and this boyfriend. But I just don't see Kelly Taylor doing it. But she sure does.
Speaker 1: I remember when they told me that the storyline was happening, and I was like, wait, what okay, and then I got talked into it and I was like, no, this this will be fun. I get that it'll be fun to act, you know, and do this storyline and teach people about it. So we'll see, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: You're like in the Run of the ten Years, Kelly Taylor endured more rap than any of the characters. She was. I mean, she was a walking.
Speaker 1: After school special. She was a walk PSA for to just say no, yeah for everything. Okay, next, wait, first, okay, what did you rate it?
Speaker 2: Episode? So I think I'm going to give this A nine. A nine. I almost think it's like I was hooked in. I enjoyed it. I you know, it's always a little dated but yet feels current. I was totally good.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel like there was enough going on with all the other characters. I felt like it was so Kelly focused.
Speaker 2: That was a lot going on, yes, except that we learned Joe's got this total heart thing and that's fallen in love, and then we have some of the dumb stuff with Jonathan Caston, Like I'm so not into that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just felt like I was underplayed for some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know all that stuff I remember now. I had a I remember the.
Speaker 1: Second aha moment.
Speaker 2: I know, I was like, I mean, memory works so weird. But I did remember what the inside than is why Jonathan and Susan are so connected.
Speaker 1: You remember to find out?
Speaker 2: We do find it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because obviously if I know.
Speaker 1: You, I don't tell me. I know, I don't even know if I'll care.
Speaker 2: But it was something.
Speaker 1: That's a re endorsement. I can't wait to find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that came back to me. And why I don't want to say it. I won't say it because it's it's I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, will you?
Speaker 2: And what episode was this?
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to stay tuned to find out. This was episode seventeen.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. Okay, so we're like more just about halfway point of this season a little more, and there's thirty some crazy amount of episodes week.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm exhausted.
Speaker 2: Next week we have.
Speaker 1: Season six, episode eighteen, Snowbound. Oh maybe they're going skiing.
Speaker 2: No, I can't remember. It just seems so cocainey, but like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, oh snow right, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is, but I think it's just like good stuff. Tory will be back, as I promise.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks for listening to us and all of our Shenanigans.
Speaker 2: We love you, Yeah, send us your messages.
Speaker 1: Bye.