Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe and you're listening to Climbing and Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and fun. I'm out this week, but wanted to reshare one of my very favorite episodes with all of you. Enjoy one of my favorite fashion episodes in case you missed it. Today on the pod, I'm talking to one of the most talented and badass celebrities stylists, Danny Michelle. Her clients include just a few people that you've heard of, Hailey Bieber, Kendall Jenner, Alsa hask just to name a few. Danny has carved out a pretty incredible career in fashion and her story is so inspiring in general, but of course especially if you are interested in fashion styling or just the editorial world.
Speaker 2: Her new jewelry line Mega is so perfect.
Speaker 1: I literally wear her pieces almost every day. I always love chatting with another stylist. It's really just like revisiting, you know, my past. And I just love her passion. I love her love for the game, her work ethic. She's so impressive. So let's get into it. So I just want to first without digging too much into your early early beginnings, like what on earth made you start to do this?
Speaker 2: And like at what point, like where where did you grow up?
Speaker 3: First of all, so I grew up really in the toomic Maryland, but I went to school in DC. My friends lived in DC, I worked in DC. So I felt like DC was my home. That's what I always say. And so I'm an East girl.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. That that definitely makes sense.
Speaker 1: But by the way, sorry DC, but I would never consider it a fashion city.
Speaker 3: No, no, However, I really think that it plays a huge role in my respective and fashion because we had a huge music scene. So it was like the man I could rebel. And I had a very like liberal high school. So we were going to concerts on Tuesday nights of like some of the best bands, like like Things, people that headline Coachella, you know, two thousand and eight, twenty ten, were like I was in a small, one hundred person little room with them, and so I had this influence of music and then at the same time, I had this really like manicured, sophisticated perspective of like, you know, a very proper upbringing. So I feel like those two depositions of being like really poised and polished and then all being like a rebel and unique like come together and that was a huge part of being in DC for me.
Speaker 1: So you come from a family that's a little more like traditional and proper.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like holidays like skirty below my knees, like nothing could show from like neck to anywhere, like studhake, I packed elbows off the table, you know.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, Okay, see I would not I would never get that. I would never get that from you. You do not give off that vibe.
Speaker 3: My family was Southern, and it was just like very expect high expectations of like you know, where you come from and how you need to act that lady, and in a really positive way, you know, with really strong ethics.
Speaker 2: Worlds you know, which quite frankly I crave.
Speaker 1: And you know, I actually took my kids out of a very progressive school and put them in a very traditional school because I actually really I just I love manners.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I love manners and I and I love when people look at you when you say hello to them.
Speaker 2: I do. I do like that.
Speaker 1: I do, But I do think but I think that I think there's a balance, you know, I think there's a balance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I think the kids that I don't want to speak to people that like, I think you always rebel.
Speaker 4: From what of course you know, of course you were.
Speaker 3: Of course I think that as long as we started in a really like we had a really good upbringing, then you find your path where you're supposed to be, and you go somewhere you find your own world. But I really loved and I'm super grateful for that space that it gave me.
Speaker 1: And so when did you leave? When did you leave DC Maryland?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Were you like, I'm out of here. I don't want to live here forever?
Speaker 1: Were you like, maybe I should try?
Speaker 4: I listen?
Speaker 3: Like, I went to the same school from kindergarten until I was eighteen to senior year and I went to University of I was going to go to n YU.
Speaker 2: I was like, NY two, that's what I made too. That's also me too.
Speaker 4: I went to did you go to NYO?
Speaker 1: No, my parents wouldn't let me. They said, New York's not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: See it. When you get back, you're not saying where'd you go? I went to?
Speaker 1: I went to George Washington because they were like, well they well, I said, okay, I'll go to.
Speaker 2: LA and they were like, fuck, no, you're not.
Speaker 1: Were like, because you will never come home, We will never see you again. Absolutely not. So like no, no New York City and no La. So I was like, Okay, what'd you say?
Speaker 4: Where you from?
Speaker 2: I'm from New York and New Jersey from Short Hills.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, so my mom, my mom moved to Livingston.
Speaker 2: So I know next door, you know it. Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: So I went to you just to like hang out with a friend that was already in college. And I got to this that was like straight out it looked like Saved by the Bell.
Speaker 4: To me.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, brass and palm trees and fountains and.
Speaker 2: I was like save litters. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I got there and loved it.
Speaker 3: I made like great friends and I'm still girl friends with today and and have like an awesome experience because it was very like in a city. So we went to Miami all the time. And I feel like I have this like beautiful few years where I was like partly a child and partly an adult. You know. I had a job and I went out and I was in the city. But then I also like fell back into my college life. And college campus, and yeah, it was a perfect mix. I feel like of like transition from child to adult.
Speaker 1: That's what I always say about college, to be honest. For me, like the biggest purpose that college serve for me was growing up, like learning to be like independent, because otherwise you go from being a kid kind of owned and governed by your parents into the real world.
Speaker 2: Right, and you're like, wow, you know, so.
Speaker 3: I just go to these and again not just speak on someone else's experience, but like if you're just in these small towns where you just live with a school life, it probably is like a shock. Still love like adult life versus school life. I really also love you know. I believe everything happens as it showed, and I think that it was a great school for me as far as the transition of my life.
Speaker 1: And then you were like, Okay, so new York here I come. I'm coming because I'm going to go to New York.
Speaker 3: With everyone from DC goes to New York. That's like the natural progression, of course. And I had interned in New York at the time. I got internship at seventeen magazine, which was like, you know, twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: That was it, And I was.
Speaker 1: At IAM so yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why that was my tea.
Speaker 2: It's my only job I had.
Speaker 1: My only job I ever had, I worked at I worked at YM magazine and I started as a fashion assistant in the closet three days a week, and then I left a senior fashion editor and I went freelance at twenty five.
Speaker 2: Oh the job, only job I ever had.
Speaker 3: It was seventeen. I was in the accessories apartment and one day, like I was the first to get there the last one to leave, not because I was trying to prove something, just because I was.
Speaker 4: Like so into it.
Speaker 3: And one day they had to bring someone to set and they were like, she's coming to set, and I didn't even know what the word set meant. I was like okay, And I got to set and someone was we they were having a photoshoot. They were dressing you know, the models, and I was like, this is a job to all people what to wear.
Speaker 1: It's called the stotting at the time, it was the sittings editor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I wanted to write that magazine. That's like what I really had wanted to do. I love writing, and that's where I thought my my career would go. And I would work at a magazine because I thought you wanted to work at fashion.
Speaker 4: You wrote for a magazine. I don't know how how the photos all there.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what I thought, but I think that when you and I spoke, like it was such a different time that like no one talked about a stylist.
Speaker 4: We didn't know what it was.
Speaker 3: And your show was in two thousand and eight was the year I graduated.
Speaker 4: It all came at this like perfect storm.
Speaker 3: Of like I knew I wanted to be it, and then you showed the world what it was, and you kind of mad this lane for us to be for it to be spoken about. So at that point when I was interning, is when I learned about being a stylist, and I was like, Okay, that's what I'll go do, and that's what I want to do, and I'll do that in New York. But before I do that, like I'm going to go to like LA and have one year in LA kind.
Speaker 4: Of like before I become an adult.
Speaker 3: Like transition from like I just felt I was this one year and then I've never left.
Speaker 1: I've never left, no way. And were you single? Were you single when you came to La.
Speaker 4: I had never been here before, did not know one.
Speaker 2: Person yet out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got this apartment off of my space. This girl, this girl had this really great like you know, fashion music, my space blog, and I was like, she needed a roommate, and.
Speaker 4: I took the spot.
Speaker 2: How wild is that? See?
Speaker 1: When I moved here, I had I had a whole life here because I had spent I moved here because I was spending like eighty percent of my time here styling.
Speaker 2: So I was like, why am I going back and forth?
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to live here, and here I am twenty years later.
Speaker 2: So it kind of eats you that way.
Speaker 3: It's crazy that you're interviewing me because the first time we met, like I was asking you one Milligan question and you were so an episode where you've told your whole story, so I can go watch it, because for like a week, I like kept thinking about everything you were saying. Your story is so incredible and so sweet, legendary. Really, the experience you have so legendary. And when you write a book, I will be the first about it or whatever.
Speaker 2: I have too. That's what I'm sending you.
Speaker 1: When we hang up, I'm going to send you. I'm going to send you Style eight to zero and Living in Style and no, no.
Speaker 3: I have Style eight. I bought that because that came That came out what a decade ago.
Speaker 1: It came out when you graduated, it came out. I think my first book, I want to say, was two thousand and eight or two thousand and nine, and then two thousand and twelve or thirteen because I was pregnant with Kayus. So I definitely bought your first book Give Me and my narrow book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, is there a book where you tell? I don't remember what that now, but I definitely.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have.
Speaker 1: Everyone wants me to do a tell, but it's like i'd get arrested.
Speaker 2: I can't. I could do one without names, or I could do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because it is kind of interesting because it's very similar. My story is similar to yours and the way that I like, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, right, and so then I think at the end of the day, I sort of fell into it, fell in love with it. Definitely did not know what a stylist was. And to your point, the reason I started the show was because it was actually the last thing I said I'd ever do, right, Like, never in any life would I want a camera on me, like put it on the client.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, you know what, why is everyone so so confused about this industry? Like there has to be some democratization of what this is. It has to be more relatable to more people, you know, And I have to explain the genius of the designers behind the curtain, because they are genius and that's why everybody looks this way, you know. And so I don't know that was sort of the goal of it. And I think for me to hear you and so many other amazing, you know, young stylists that I adore sort of want to or or be more motivated to become a stylist from that is like for me, that's there's no better reward that I could get forever doing it because oh so hard five years, but it's not easy to do.
Speaker 3: You're so sweet, it's just really unbelievable, like even for me, Like it's like for me, it is not past me that I'm speaking.
Speaker 4: To, like the legend herself.
Speaker 2: You're the cutest, well let's talk about you. So okay, so here you are.
Speaker 1: You graduate, you moved to LA and you basically think you're going for a year to just do this and become a stylist because you now that you've figured out what it is.
Speaker 2: So you moved to LA.
Speaker 1: You get this room from a random person on MySpace, which is just you know, wild, but people do do that. I mean, listen, you know Jen Akins story, She like rolled here in a car and it was like with like three hundred dollars or something like lived in her car and here she is like, you didn't even know, like you didn't have a client at that point, so like what are you doing? And by the way, wait, important question here because I think this is very important, Like you didn't have a client, right you came to LA because to me, that's actually terrifying. And your parents were they like, my daughter's lost her mind, like because a lot of parents do not support the insanity, right, but you have the bug, right, And you know you said you're you didn't really go by the same rules, so you sort of were like so you're this like wild fashioned card.
Speaker 3: I think that, I mean, I know that I have always been so driven and I've always like sought after something and like.
Speaker 4: And made it happen.
Speaker 3: I think that my mom trusted that she raised me well and that I would make the right decisions, and that if this was something I was after, she would encourage me to cheat whatever I was looking for. We were speaking every day. She was like she was the phone call I made every day. She knew what I was doing, and I didn't. Really I didn't know what I was doing. I just knew that, like I wanted to see this part of my life because I kind of felt that I was going to go to New York, get an apartment, get a life, and like just live in New York. I was like, before I just start my entire next chapter of my life, let me have like one little adventure, and she supported that. I don't think anyone thought I wasn't coming back, Like no one thought that I thought we were. I was just going to la for a year, but I moved here and then I mean, listen, everything I always believe like happens for a reason at its right time, and like randomly, the neighbor in the building worked at the jim Hens a lot and was like, there's a stylist that needs an assistant. And I don't know if you know Michelle Tomachevski, anyone who does know or has looked brothers, she is like one of the nicest human beings. I was like blessed with this like incredible human to She threw me in the deep end and we were doing her client was the Jonas Brothers and they were like, yeah, the fire, they were on fire, my name Backstreet Boys literally and it was you know, talk shows, music videos, photo shoots like you know, private planes everything. It was just like at the top level immediately in the deep end, and she was just like the nicest human that did business the right way.
Speaker 4: And everywhere I went, I would be like.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm here from Michelle, and may'de like, oh, we love her, Like isn't she the best.
Speaker 4: Shell?
Speaker 3: And I saw that respect and I respected her even more the way that she treated me, the way she cheated other people, the way that she was her reputation, like I was like, this is I was just so d it maybe want to work so much harder. All I wanted to do was like be the best I could for her. She was being the best she could be and it was just like the best environment. I learned so much and like still today when she likes my photos and I'm like, you're still cheering.
Speaker 1: That's the dream, by the way, Well, it's a dream to have someone like you and then and then in turn to support and cheer for you.
Speaker 3: When I knew that's like exactly how I wanted to be, and I've really never like faltered from it.
Speaker 4: It's like being kind is like the number one thing on my like.
Speaker 1: Requirements should always be and should never changed, no matter how brutal it could get and does get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I truly believe like yelling at someone doesn't make them want to like work harder. It probably shuts people down, you know, and like getting mad it doesn't bring anything positive, right, you have to work through fund solutions. You have to encourage them and like say like it's okay, moving forward, like just work to be your best team of your best self, and like I think that will, in my opinion, push people to be their best selves.
Speaker 1: You know, well, yeah it didn't in my case, but but I'm so happy it does for you because because I'm hoping that it's a bit of a new world. You know, for me, it's been it's so fun to watch you do your thing because you know, I hadn't known you, and then when I met you, I was like, she's such like a cutie, like she's so meaning.
Speaker 2: Like for me, it's it's you know.
Speaker 1: People always ask me like, how did you become Rae ChEls? And I don't know any of that other than I loved it so much that it was all I could do right.
Speaker 2: And so when I meet someone like you, I.
Speaker 1: Get so sort of like there's people that do things because it's a job, and there's people that do things because they live and die for it, you know. And I think that there's a different way that people motivated by the passion and genuine love for the job end up working right and and truthfully end up succeeding right. And so I think with you, it's it's very obvious that you love it. But you know, I do want to point out for our listeners that, like, you know, without name dropping, I'm going to just name a few, but like you know, Danny Styles, Kendall Jenner, I mean, casual, Hailey Bieber and like all those looks that you see popped and run all over the world that everybody copies, it's done by you, And so my girls are like, no, of course, of course you know that, but.
Speaker 4: We yeah, we are. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't even believe if you told me this was going to be my life, I wouldn't tell I wouldn't believe you.
Speaker 2: But it's but it's it. I think it.
Speaker 1: It says, It says a lot because I think that when the girls in Look, they do definitely have their own sense of style, and it is a collaboration as it should be, right as it should be, because I don't think you love just like someone walking in and be like I'm closing my eyes, put close on me, like you know, because I did, in fact have a client like that, and it was and I love her.
Speaker 3: But what I say to that, though, is that like they're so focused in there and the lane that they're in, whether it's like writing music or yeah, that the clothes to the carpet, that's just a means that so they can arrive and do their job, will just talk about their music or their film or whatever. And the same way that they're not passionate about the art of like fashion, it's the same way I can't read music notes or like could never for a line for a film like everyone has. So there definitely are those people that are like, just tell me what's happening right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I'm wearing?
Speaker 1: So what what you create with? So what are like, were there ever any moments? So you end up coming here, you never leave, You end up working for Michelle, which is the dream to work for. An incredible style is because I always like, it's boot camp, right, and especially when you work in music specifically, it's boot camp.
Speaker 2: That was my train That was honestly my training.
Speaker 1: I went freelance and right into Brittany and Backstreet and Jessica Simpson and in Sync and all of all of that, and Enrique and Enrique, and it was just like as you said, like limitless budgets, music videos, album covers, private planes, You're going to Monaco for twenty four hours, you're flying here for three hours, and you're getting back. It was like I definitely aged like twenty years in five years, and I definitely didn't sleep. And it was the most insane amount of money. It was the most insane like working out. It was just always working right. And but I will say it was the grad school.
Speaker 2: It was the grad school for styling.
Speaker 1: It was because you had to be prepared for everything, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I want to hear those stories, Rachel.
Speaker 1: So there are so many stories.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy.
Speaker 3: Like someone just asked me something yesterday and I'm like, like, I can't there was a country I've opened to Croatia.
Speaker 4: I can't even remember going to Croatia.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that happened to me the other day.
Speaker 1: Someone just like, oh my god, I'm dying to go to Prague. And then literally like someone goes, Rachel, didn't you go there for like a briad pitch? And I'm like I did. I actually went there. I did go there. I was there for two weeks. What was your favorite part? I'm like, I remember a bridge and a hotel and literally that's it.
Speaker 2: A bridge at There's.
Speaker 3: So much I always say, is that because we're like so detail oriented, Like in my office there's thousands of pieces and I could like tell you a backstory about sayings one of the things, what job they came from? Like like sometimes when we be like purges and I'm like no, no, no, you guys, I'm like this piece and like I have such insane short term like there is nothing you could ask me, though I wouldn't know going on that.
Speaker 4: I think that it's like for my long term.
Speaker 1: Has like yeah, it won't come back to you till people interview you, like and all of a sudden, it's a little bit of like this is your life. Like I'll be like, Rachel, you did this and you did this album and you were here dressing them for this and I'm like.
Speaker 2: M, you're right.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right I was.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny like sometimes you have those moments, but it does. It did teach me sort of like as I move forward in work, like try to like try to experience it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Tried it, but it's hard. You can't because it's it's like.
Speaker 1: This, and especially when you know being a stylist, you're in the service business, right, so it's it's you you almost take your whole self out, you go, what do you need?
Speaker 2: Who needs this?
Speaker 1: D da da right like and it's it's like flashes of light.
Speaker 3: That honestly is like such like an important sentence. So I think a lot of people a forget that, like, you know, service business from the perspective of like how hard we give, Like sometimes when I come home, I'm just so drained because my whole day is emotionally and mentally and creatively giving to other people. And I think that also, like for the younger generation that forgets like this is a really hard job.
Speaker 4: It is hard, difficult, and.
Speaker 3: I think that going back to what you said, it's like only the people that like are really passionate about it and that are not just chasing the money but chasing their creativity and their relationships and the connections, and like the moment is like when when they'll succeed, because you have to give it one hundred and ten percent and it takes a.
Speaker 4: Lot, a lot out of you.
Speaker 3: So it's like we have to be really dedicated and really want it and really care.
Speaker 1: And you are married, correct, I am tell me everything. So where did you meet Prince Tremy?
Speaker 4: We met.
Speaker 3: It's like a it's like another whole podcast on itself, so I'll keep it that we met at a dinner party. I was on a first date and he was on a second date. I showed up like on the back of this motorcycle was an Italian man and he was like, I came out in my rigel, I took the helmet off, I like shook my hair so like my hair wasn't black, and he saw me and he was like, I want a woman like that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw him.
Speaker 3: He did this matter check and I was like, you.
Speaker 2: Did a magic check.
Speaker 4: No, he did a magic check.
Speaker 3: On me while using his date as like his his you know. So she was like I knew you always had a thing for her. But either way, that night we like super connected. But we stayed dating our people I want for about a year. Finally, about a year later, it was after like a fashion event that we ran each other. I was like, I'm going to Hevingways and I was like you should come, and I was like live a little bit and he came and we like danced all night, and then we told each other that we had feelings for each other. And then eventually I told the guy that I was dating and I said like, I'm so sorry I had feelings for someone else, and he was like actually, he was like and he was such a beautiful human and he was so like it was exactly what I did in that time my life and I'm so grateful that relationship. But he was like, you know what, he was like, I see that for you and I think that you're going to marry him.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, he like totally gave me.
Speaker 3: His blessing and then fast forward we got married.
Speaker 2: That's wow, he said.
Speaker 4: He goes.
Speaker 3: He either said, I think you're gonna have his baby one day or I think you're gonna get married one of the two.
Speaker 4: He did one of those things, but gave me full blessing.
Speaker 2: Wow. And you did have a baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a baby right three. Yeah, Oh my.
Speaker 3: God, which I also asked you about when we met because I was like so sure that I need to have a girl. And having a boy is like the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: It's a love affair that is indescribable. I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 4: Relief.
Speaker 3: And he just entered the cuddle phase. He's never wanted a cuddle. It started two nights ago. I just got like my first like in bed, like under the arm, like wrapped around to Yeah, it's like mommy bear, baby bear huddle in this morning, I got out bet his little sid don't leave me here.
Speaker 4: Like it just happened two nights ago, and it's like incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to make you feel better. Mine is almost thirteen and my little one is just turned ten, and they're both under my arms, still wrapped around me literally every night, every night, and every morning. I will do it until they go to college. If they let me, I will. I'm such a zicho. I literally cannot let go of them. They make everything better.
Speaker 2: They make me.
Speaker 1: Just happy. They actually told me that I should go back to styling. They go, Mommy, the way you talk about styling, Mommy, you should do it again someday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's funny.
Speaker 1: They go, you know, you style us, but I feel like you probably want to put pretty long dresses on.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, they haven't seen my show Sky. They's begging me to watch it, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh stop, I don't think I'm there yet. I think there's too much.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I have gone back, like I think after I met you that night, I was like, oh that.
Speaker 4: I was like, watch an episode.
Speaker 2: It's wild, maybe a slide.
Speaker 4: In your studio and the dresses got wet.
Speaker 1: That was one of the worst days of my life. I of the worst days of my life. And you know there were many, but I you know, I mean when it rained on the globes and I had five clients in long gowns and then every single picture of every single one of them was holding an umbrella holding the train up, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, I quit.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so weird because I had so much of my life and my emotion. I think if I like watch it, it's just going to be like this is your life kind of thing, because like you said, it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a blackout for me. The show.
Speaker 1: It was such a hard thing to do because I was working, like you're working now, right, I was styling, but I was also like I started my media business and these other things. But then I had to shoot the show like five days a week, and it was sort of like not it took nine months, you know, and so it was just mental and I would just be like I need to work, like I actually need.
Speaker 2: To do my job, you know.
Speaker 1: But in hindsight, what it meant to people and what it did for people for me, makes every bit of it worth it, truthfully, because it really to know that it had an impact on, you know, people like you, or people going through the hardest time in their lives and couldn't get out of bed, you know, things like that. For me, helped me reprioritize the purpose of what I was doing, you know what I mean. And I think like it definitely, I think, in hindsight, really helped redirect and focus my real mission for everything I do in my job and for the brand, everything about it and what I want to always do for women, right.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I think, like with styling, I just felt like it was, like you said, it was like this unknown thing, right. And so I think for people like you now that are bringing you know, these women that are so they love you and they support you, right, and these girls are like your friends. And I think, you know, it's such an intimate relationship being a stylist, and I was so personally invested in it, you know, And like you said, I think it's hard because I think when you love it that much and you care about it that much and you care about the people so much, right, it's like it's not a fake best friend, right, It's like you're in there.
Speaker 2: You're in the studio.
Speaker 1: Like I would sit with my clients till three in the morning and we would have like you know, champagne, to tea, to breakfast, to this, to that, and like forty outfits later and like play dress up and all the things, and then you know, and then these looks come out of it, like born out of those moments, you know, and it's incredibly rewarding, you know, in the sense of like when your client looks at you and was like, uh, we did it, or like I've never felt so beautiful, or like that was a great one, or like you know, don't you just aren't those the pinch mean moments.
Speaker 2: For me, those were the pinch me moments.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a thousand percent I always say that, Like for me, the only like I don't read comments.
Speaker 4: I don't read like.
Speaker 2: Now you can't, you can't, you can't, I really don't.
Speaker 3: The only thing that matters to me is that they're happy. Sure, and when they tell you that they're happier they felt like a million backs of the day or like basically like any of those things, I'm like, that's when I'm just like, oh, like it'll change my whole day. Like I'm so happy when they are happy, and like I know, like that's the sign of like real love, you know.
Speaker 1: Or it's just like listen, I think at the end of the day, you're living your dream. Now you launch a jewelry line called Mega, which I personally love and like I literally opened it and put it on. And so I think, now, like obviously starting the jewelry line, you're starting to I think, look at okay, so what's another passion and what am I doing right? Because it's because it's a big jump, right, like whenever you start to divert from what you're doing, You're like, Okay, this is scary, but I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: It felt like the right thing for me because I really feel like I found my place in fashion where I'm supposed to be. I think that creating a fashion line would have been it would have been so conflicting to my creativity. And I think that I've always been passionate about Juelie for me, like it's super sentimental and it's it's what I've like splurged on when I like want something to like signify something like for me, I asked for jewelry for a graduation for you know, my thirtieth birthday, for my thirty fifth birthday, anything it's significant to me. My push gift Valentine's Day, Like all I want are a little I get usually like a ring or something that I feel like I thought I would stack them all up. Each of those little pieces were like memories and accomplishments and meaningful parts of my timeline. And that's how it really started with me stacking a bunch of rings, because everything really had a backstory of like a meeting to me, and I just felt like, you know, my mom is a Julie designer for the past ten years. She pivoted after she sold her business, and it just always felt like something sentimental and personal to me, and it felt like just a no brainer of like where I should be and what I should be doing. And so my mom and I partnered on this together. She does all production and I do creative and we obviously like ideas together.
Speaker 2: But she's so fun. That is so much fun.
Speaker 3: I did not know that even talk more every day, so it's great.
Speaker 2: I did not know that. So why the name Mega?
Speaker 3: So Vogue had called me a megawatt stilast and that was like one of those moments where I was like did you read that? I And I even had to like google it. I was like, what does Mega want me? Because I know this like you know a title, but like let me just read into it. And it was it was after that article, I was like, what am I doing with myself? Like what is text?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And so when I was putting together all my creative boards and you know, every folder, I would just put MEGA because that's just kind of like that was at that moment where I was like, Okay, let's let's do something. And so all of my followers and we did so much like you know those like name searching diagram. I mean, I was doing French, I was doing and we did MEGA in French, but I speak French, and I was doing Italian. I was doing everything, and I was just trying to find the right word, and I kept coming back to Mega because for me, it just felt like so like large than life, one of a strong bold like the four letters was just so crisp to me, and it felt like who the woman was with someone that was like minimal but strong and bold and confident and just felt right. So I did so much searching and I came back to.
Speaker 4: That, to that word. I love it. You're so sweet. One day, I hope I'll get to like ask.
Speaker 1: You more questions or so you can ask me anything anytime, seriously, anytime. We'll go for a glass of shamps and talk the top, talk the dog, because god, there's talk. But yeah, I promised to do that.
Speaker 3: I think that if I could like leave with like one idea of like this business that I feel like I always like struggle with what I could.
Speaker 4: Do to like share my story because I.
Speaker 3: Can't even tell you how many people, like probably once a week I get an email.
Speaker 2: It's like how do I become you.
Speaker 3: Like my store, I mean for my school project, or like could I just ask you what you know, like what your experience was, Like I know that there's so many people dying to hear these stories, and nonetheless I could never have each of these individual conversations. I always try to think about, like what platform I could share like the true story with. And I think that one of the questions when we were discussing like what we would talk about was just like what are your three pieces of advice? And I feel like if I could just share with the kiddos, I feel like the three things is like for me, which have really been like tried and true is like to be kind, you know? Is that I think that when people let their ego change, like what their intention is, you know, these relationships with your team, with the showrooms, with the stores, with the designers, with your clients, with their assistance. Like all of these relationships is what craftier entire business, right. It crafts who you are, where you will go, and what you will succeed with. And I just feel like sometimes people forget they think that they're better than someone, or that they're in a different position than someone, and we are all in a web working together, and it would not be possible without each of those people. If the designers weren't making the clothes, if the showrooms weren't wrapping them, at the store associates weren't helping you, if the assistant.
Speaker 4: Wasn't scheduling the fitting.
Speaker 3: Like, we are all in this together, and we have to treat everyone like kindness and respect and like that those relationships will lead to like your success in a genuine way, Like you can't you have to really care from your heart.
Speaker 4: If you don't like it won't it just won't be genuine.
Speaker 3: But when you really do care and you really find that respect for everyone, like that is so pivotal, I think to success, I always say, like give everything, go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, I want to comment on that, because the best of the best are always the kindest and I can tell you that firsthand.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: And your reputation is all you have to stand on in business, and it's people can see when you're not genuine they can And so kindness is first and foremost, literally the most important thing you do in business, and it's treating the person at craft services, the person doing the lighting, the person, the person at the door.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: And people that think otherwise will never ever ever last in the business, especially today in days of past. Maybe you can be an asshole, you cannot be an asshole. You have to treat people with kindness, but genuine and first and foremost. And Peter Limberg, I have to tell you, was the best example of that because he was the kindest, most brilliant photographer, and working with him was such a gift because the way that he talked to people, the way that he treated people, how gentle he was, how kind he was to every single person on set, no ego, nothing, And I tell anyone that will listen in any position that that's how you win. You will last forever if you are good to people.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I walk off set and like I like tell the grif and like the team. I'm like good chops to you guys, like you killed it because if it weren't, I'm doing epic writing like what it's my fashion saying you.
Speaker 4: Know it's true, if every one is.
Speaker 3: So important, and I really like wholeheartedly believe that, And I'm glad you even brought off like you know, the crafty behind the scenes people like all in it together.
Speaker 4: There's no one I don't care you're following or what. There is no one more valuable on the set than anyone else.
Speaker 3: Like except for the talent that we're all we're all yeah, And then I think like giving everything one hundred and ten percent. I feel like I can't tell you how many times I would like it'd be the end of the day, the last or after like three days of like out and about, and I'd be like, oh, do I like need to go there? Like my car is fulled to the top, like do I really need to go? And I can't tell you how many times it'd be the last stop and that.
Speaker 4: Would be the look like of course, And I like, thank god, like I never gave up.
Speaker 3: I did everything over and above into what you were saying your clients like you gave them, like you went over above, and like I know my clients know that I do that. I know that they know I'm thinking about them all the time. That like when I'm not on a job with them, I'm still thinking about them. And when I do a job, I like work from it from the moment they tell me to like the finish line, like it's it's so important because like every detail tells the whole story. And like I always like leave no rock and turn. And then I think to what you just said about like your reputation, like it's the one thing you can't buy, and once that reputation like is gone, there's nothing you can do to fix it. And I think a lot of people think that this is some race and they think that because there's Instagram now that like there's this immediate satisfaction that like they can like they should be a sturtplace so fast, and it's like it's a marathon and there's.
Speaker 4: No one thing that will like get you to the end.
Speaker 3: You have to you need every little step along the way because you learn from every step and everything that you do, you like learn so much from and everything you do is valuable. And I just think that you have to like give everything it's full like experience because it will lead to something else. And you have to like understand the longevity of your career.
Speaker 1: If you want a long career, say yes, yeah, coming up, say yes to everything for you everything.
Speaker 3: And I think, what's like so crazy is that there were so many times where I like wanted to quit or I wanted to like up because.
Speaker 4: It was an incredibly different time.
Speaker 3: If you remember, all we had was a website, right, there was no Instagram.
Speaker 2: So if I went, I had a portfolio.
Speaker 3: I remember having my prints at all book that I would bring into an office it was and if I was a discouraged because I would go do something great, right, I would. I remember I was working with Douglas Kirtland, who was the last photographer to shoot Marylynd Monroe.
Speaker 4: We would do these incredible things together. I was shooting with for you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was so young when we were doing like Vanity Fair, but I had no one to show it to. Right, I would do this amazing story and then there was no platform. It would be in a magazine, great, like someone would read the magazine, but there was no way to show anyone, like, look what I'm doing, and look what I'm capable of doing. So I had to grow my entire business by every time going on set and someone being like this girl is so great, you should use her. This girl is so great, And that's obviously what happened. And it would come from the publicist or the makeup person or the assistant.
Speaker 4: Like everything said to something.
Speaker 3: But it took a really really long time because there was no platform to show people what you could do. When today these little girls are dressing themselves and they're like, you know, look.
Speaker 4: At the silist.
Speaker 3: You know. But it was such a long process and I had it was really hard, and I blood sweat and tears. Like my husband was telling me these stories like do you's, like do you remember? Like literally I checked everything myself and like checked in and out like I did everything myself, you know, Like I literally grew this entire thing myself. And I don't I don't forget those things. And I think that a lot of people today like are racing and it's like, so it will come. I promise you it will come if you're if you follow those steps, if you're a good person, if you give it one hundred percent, if you do business the right way. Like if you say yes, every opportunity like your pie will come.
Speaker 2: I promise it's true.
Speaker 1: But you have listen, I scream at every mountaintop you got to do the work. You got to do the work. You got you have to do the work. And that is the biggest problem with this generation right now. I'm sorry to generalize, but like it's across the board in every in every industry. And I think to your point, because everyone's looking at highlight rails right on social media and you know, you still have to do the brick by brick. It can be faster than it was for us, but like it's just blood, sweat and tears at the end of the day, and you have to do it that way because you learn from it.
Speaker 2: You from it.
Speaker 1: I was taping little taxi receipts and food receipts for like for like one hundred thousand dollars wardrobe budgets, and I would turn in like a hundred pages of like xerox paper on both sides with a glistick of all my expenses. And so you know, I think that those things are the things that shape you. So it's like to your point, it's like I say to people coming up, it's like those like sort of war wounds are what what makes you really and it makes you grateful.
Speaker 4: And I read this one quote.
Speaker 3: It was actually I think from like a painter or no, it was something that was like it was basically an artist, and he was like he was justifying his rate, right, and he was like, you're not paying for my rate for what I'm doing today and tomorrow. You're paying for everything I have learned along this entire way and everything that I'm going to like all of the knowledge that i have at this level to the table. So I feel like when it's like people at our level, I've been doing this for over fifteen years, like when you're asking for a certain rate, it's because like you have so much experience, Like if I know I need something, I know exactly where to get it. Had to get in the best version of it because I've done it so many times. And I feel like the younger people when they like think they should get the same rates as us, I'm like, you, you there are so many experiences that you've never been in that you won't even know how to handle that, like have grace, have patients, like it will come.
Speaker 4: But it's I have so.
Speaker 3: Many layers of like everything that I have that I've experienced to be to am right now.
Speaker 2: It's the wisdom. It's the wisdom. And I like to say the war winds.
Speaker 1: For better, for better or for worse, but they're there and I think it's what makes us. And I think it's again the same in any industry, and I think you have to you have to put in and I you know, again, the stars stand out and ultimately you stand out and you're crushing it and the girls know it and it's and you love it and you love it and you're doing it and you're building mega with your mom, which is so beautiful.
Speaker 3: If you told me, like you know, when they say, like where do you see yourself in five years? Like I do, think there's something so real right because like the things that like I I if you told me for my clients, I'd be like, you're crazy.
Speaker 4: And it's a dream. I'm living this dream.
Speaker 3: And then on top of it, like I consult for this huge company that's incredibly exciting for me. I'm a creative director of this huge company that's exciting for me.
Speaker 2: And I realized to say what it is or no.
Speaker 3: I am a fashion consultant for Sony Pictures, amazing. I just took on the role of creative director for Joe's Jeans, amazing. I launched my Jeweli brand, and I have a dream stiling business. And it's like, it's just so incredible because if you had asked me five years ago, I would say, I don't know, I know, I would have said I would love to create direct for a brand and I would love to consult like those were I thought the next step of things, like a bigger picture project.
Speaker 4: And I have these bigger picture projects.
Speaker 3: So it's really incredible to like forecast and to like put your heart in something. And I don't think about it on the daily, but it probably like.
Speaker 4: In the realm, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I you know, it's funny because I don't know that I ever projected, and I think it's amazing to see that you kind of you had that idea that that's what you wanted to do for the next step and it happened. And I think it's also patients because it's also not saying tomorrow right, you're saying in my five year I hope to be doing this right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So now I got to set my next five years.
Speaker 1: I believe it's called manifesting, right, I believe it's called manifesting.
Speaker 2: I'm trying this so far I suck at it. I have to say no.
Speaker 3: But I think it's like it's things that just like sink into your system, you know what I mean. Like it's not like you're facing it. It's not like you're like this, like if you're looking for like it won't happen. It's just like you like think about it, you say it, you feel it, and then you like go live it. And I just think that, you know, maybe it's working.
Speaker 1: It's working, Danny, it's working, and you're a mama and you're married, and it's all the things. I feel like, you're living all the dreams. So pinch yourself now. Pinch yourself now so that you remember that you're living all the things in all the dreams.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's also so interesting is that I don't I think one of the other reasons of my success is that I don't think about it is that I don't I don't ever like I've never changed, like you know, I don't wear makeup, I don't like I wear flats, like all right, I like to wear heel.
Speaker 2: You're also like five ton, Yeah, like I just like I.
Speaker 3: Just I'm so focused on like what I'm doing that I've never I've never thought about global. I've never thought about I don't think about the clients that way. I just think, like, this is my job and I need to go give it one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And like I don't.
Speaker 3: I've never changed in that respect.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: You can't if you start thinking about it, right, you read the comments of this, you coul psyche yourself out. Like you just have to be like focus on what you're doing. And I think that that's another reason why, like I've been able to just keep pushing, is that because I don't think about it. I just like I just stay focused on what I'm doing and like push to the next thing and keep and just keep going.
Speaker 1: You know, you got to just do it. You got to live it, you've got to be it. You've got to do it and don't overthink it. And and to your point, I think, I don't know. I just the only thing I could say to you is just recognize what's happening, because I never did.
Speaker 2: I never did.
Speaker 3: There's this thing called the imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it. Yes, I know it well.
Speaker 1: I know it well, and I think sometimes we all just feel like that and we're like wait what and then people say these things too. You're like huh yeah, yeah, it's very real.
Speaker 4: It's like very real, and I'm just like wait, like you know, like I said, but if you told me this is my life, I wouldn't believe you.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm just well, you better believe it, honey, because you are climbing in fucking flats, but.
Speaker 2: You are in your mega jewelry.
Speaker 1: And styling mega supermodels and actors and musicians and all the things and living all your wildest fucking dreams. So I'm happy for you, and I love watching it, and I'm happy I met you, and I'm happy I get to talk to you today and then we have.
Speaker 2: To have like an offline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of those like pitchments.
Speaker 4: I know that like every day, but really, for me.
Speaker 3: This means so much to like talk to you into like I'm like Rachel's Ott knows who I am.
Speaker 1: I'm so swear I know who you are and I adore you and I love what you're doing and I'm so happy about it.
Speaker 2: And I have to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: For me to just see someone and that loves it so much, like truthfully, not to sound like a mom, but like that actually fulfills me the most. And to know that I had any part of that from the beginning, it's just makes me even It makes me feel like so much is worth what I've been through.
Speaker 3: Who Like that's when street style started, like all of that, you know, like listen, it all happened the same time with this perfect storm of like the internet, you know, all the things in time, you know, and you were just at the crux of this like change. Our business just changed, and you were right there in the center of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it, and I adore you, and I love your passion. I see it coming out of your eyes and your skin and your smile.
Speaker 2: But I'm just impressed with you. I love what you do.
Speaker 1: I love how you dress all the girls, I love your collaborations, and I'm excited to just continue to watch you fly and so do all the things. It's so good I know that you have a friend on the sidelines. Thank you so much to Danny for being on the pod today. She is just the real deal. She's as genuine as it comes. And I have to tell you, but the first time in my life, I actually felt like I was talking to myself.
Speaker 2: It was actually.
Speaker 1: Really a bit surreal, Like the way she was answering questions, I literally felt like it was my answers, Like it was actually a bit surreal for me to have this conversation. But I loved it so much because it's her passion is so genuine, her work ethic is unparalleled, and you know, I think so many of her points are so important because when your clients know how much they mean to you and how much you think about them when you're not on the clock, I think that really is what matters.
Speaker 2: And she works really, really, really hard.
Speaker 1: I really loved her takeaways about being kind, giving one hundred and ten percent, and keeping your reputation solid gold. I'll see you next week.