Speaker 1: Fencing literally saved my life.
Speaker 2: Fencing is known for being a notoriously white sport. Talk to me about what it felt like getting to the Olympics winning bruns.
Speaker 1: My mum always just said, just win and then what can they say? I'm the best Now I'm still the twelve year old kid, just six plove covern tattoos. Winning is great, but changing a sport is bigger than any Olympic goel I could ever win.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to become the happier, healthier and more healed. Today's guest is not only a friend, but someone who I'm so fascinated to dive into his mindset. I love top performers, people who are operating at peak places and making incredible impact happen across the world in their field, and this is one of those people. Miles Chamely Watson is an Olympic medalist redefining the sport with his style, confidence and a vision that's pushing it far beyond what it's ever been before. Miles Chramlely Watson, Welcome to On Purpose.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. It was an absolutely incredible intro. It's an honor to be here honestly before I kind of got to meet you. It's really nice to be a fan of your work, and I think you instill some incredible ideas on people made them feel better, which the world needs more than ever. So thank you for that. And it's an honor, dude.
Speaker 2: We met in the best way possible. I felt like we were on a boys trip, which is what I felt, right, and it just turned out to be like the easiest conversation. You guys like invited me into the wolf pack, which made me feel really, really comfortable. We played poker from eleven pm to seven am, three nights in a row. We were out on the water. It was amazing, and I just, you know, I know that I was kind of coming in fresh and new, and it was just you were one of those people. You and Spins, especially good chat out spins. You were one of those people that just made me feel like at home. So not only are you amazing at what you do, which we'll get into, you're a great guy off off as well. So I appreciate you, man.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to dive in by asking you, like what I heard from you, and I've been watching interviews and obviously I came to the event, which we talked about in a second, But I feel like you always felt like you didn't quite fit in. Talk to me about your earliest memory that reminds you of that feeling.
Speaker 1: I think being born in London, my mom was kind of the mom and dad that was kind of in my life. I was about eight years old, so I think, naturally you kind of rebel. So I think when I was playing football, running track and fields, I always felt like I was just different kind of my approach, my mindset. And then we moved to America when I was about nine or ten, kind of in between those years, and those years are very important, right or your friends are there, your family's there, So naturally, moving from London to New York, I was like, I don't want to be here. So getting into trouble, getting kicked out of my first school, public school. Then I got kicked out of my second school, and then my mother met someone that was on the missions program for private school was to give Twistion groans because we had money at the time, but as a punishment, I had to pick up tennis, fencing or abandmonton as a punishment because that considered mental sports and I was like, oh, whatever, sports are fun, and then I was like, wait, I can pick up a sword and like to stab you right, This is like the kid's dream. And then immediately that was my purpose because you put the mask on and you feel like a superhero. And I think that was the first time I realized like, Okay, this is going to be my way out whatever I'm kind of in. And then I was very add adhd and then fencing but kind of came my outall. And as I started to get better in fencing, I started to get better in school. So that kind of ended up being a double sided sword, which ended up being my job. I kind of got very, very lucky in finding fencing because I don't know where i'd be now if I wasn't, you know, a professional fencer, which is a crazy thing to say.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like sports when you're young are so important. What was the difference Because everyone plays sports. I played a lot of sports growing older. You're obviously phenomenal at what you do. How quickly did you realize that this could be something you were actually really good at.
Speaker 1: I think it was immediately clearly picked it up right away. And Ellen Grayson, who I love her to the death. Hello. She was like, Miles Jude, you could be an Olympian and I was like, that's infensive, really, And I think immediately I felt this connection that was like nothing else in my life, and it was like my therapy. And I think nowadays it's like kids add ADHD first things like hey, we should give them a pill or give them a drug, and I'm like, find them something that they love. I think that's the key is. And the sports are amazing because the man, if you're rich or poor, at the end of the day, it's it's who's gonna win, right, same sword in my hand, same mass on my head. And I think that's why sports are so incredible because they saved my life. I never knew at that time that it would be my you know, be or end all, but fencing literally saved my life. Wow, which is crazy to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I believe you. I can feel it. Just sit with you and you say that, I'm like, wow, that's like because I feel like so many parents today are wondering, how do I get my kid to be confident? How do I get my kid to like just get out there? And I couldn't do more that you only feel confident when you have some competence, like when you feel like you have a skill, where you have an ability and you have something to do beyond scrolling on your phone or you know, watching a show while playing video games or whatever it may be for you. Talk to me about what do you think life would have looked like if you didn't find fencing that early.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't know because we're hanging around the corner shops, you know, it's getting into trouble, stealing sweets, just kind of because we didn't really know what there was for us. And I think that's also very important having a father figure in your life. And think my mom found my stepdad Colin, who I say my dad to you because he is my dad raised me. I think that's also very very important, is because you need someone's going to tell you know when they can. And I honestly don't think I would be definitely not talking to you, and I definitely don't know if I would behind the bars to be honest with you, because I was just such a crazy little kid. My friends I grew up with, you know, the plumbers happy. I was kind of the only one out of us to kind of make it out and create a name for myself.
Speaker 2: Where did you grow up in?
Speaker 1: First it was Southwest London, and then it was Ealing and then it was Putney and then Kilbourne a little bit. Yeah, yeah, and then we moved to New York. Yeah. And a really really funny story twenty twelve Olympics. My three friends Aaron, Adam and Blake that all brothers there were plumbers and they actually built the Olympic village. No, so yeah, first time I was saying that, Yeah, they literally built the village.
Speaker 2: That's so cool, and like, hey.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm building a village, Like what do you mean and like plumbing it and making it. And then they kind of got to see me compete or came. So that was a full soccer moment for me.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. That's so good man. Yeah, it's crazy and that just happened by chance. There was no connectivity or anything by chance.
Speaker 1: And I think life is obviously about Timing is everything in life, and I really believe that, and I think some things might be not the right time. Relationships, partner, sports, but sports. I think of the number one thing. If I have children, I would put them in right way. I'm not going to tell you to be a fencer. But I think just sports teach you how to lose what it feels like, integrity, listening, And I think that's what fencing taught me.
Speaker 2: I told you this before. I don't think we had a conversation about it. So I did fencing at school and I won some super amateur championships, are like fourteen, fifteen sixteen. I don't I don't, you know, maybe I'm joking. I could ever have been good enough to compete with what you do. But I loved it as a sport. Actually, I thought it was pretty It was really strategic, it was tactical. The fitness level was you know, it was challenging. I still remember it actually really well. We do it in the gym at school. Talk to me about the importance sort of a mentor though, because it sounds like you gave a shout out to someone there, and I was like, I think that's the difference. Like when I played a lot of sports at school. You've got to have someone who kind of takes you under their wing and like invests in you and makes you feel like you could go fine. I've found them in life. I found them in business. I found them in spirituality and meditation and other eras in my life, but sports is somewhere where I think a coach or a mentor is just the most important person. Talk to me about how you found yours.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I think Ellen Grayson and Eric Rosenberg they working at the school at the time, and they saw my potential and they actually were the first person to say get your citizenship, But I didn't realize that was gonna be who I am to this day. Without them, I would never probably see my potential and seeing how far could take fencing. And then my coach, Simon Gershan became like my dad. I can tell him everything. He's kind of teaching me that you know that you must learn how to lose before we can learn how to win, which is a tattoo I have, which I think is so important because understanding the feeling of losing as an athlete is the hardest thing you know to kind of understand and swallow. But then you have to understand what that feels like, so when you do win, you appreciate that more than ever. I taught to him. Every day i'm not feeling good, he can sense it. So to me, having a coach and a mentor and a role model is so important. I think now that's why I love being that for the kids now, which is the one reason why I saw this league. But I love seeing kids look up to me, parents ask me questions, and I think if I can be a little bit of a catalyst or are kind of a helper for them, then that's probably bigger than winning any medal I could ever win.
Speaker 2: That's such great advice. Where is your Yeah, it's someone on here, Yeah, someone on? How many teys do you have?
Speaker 1: One hundred and fifty?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mad?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Because I touched my hands because fencing were worn white. Yeah, so you know, I want to stuck out. And my mom hated it because she's, you know, a Brittish lady.
Speaker 2: Now, I remember when we were traveling as well. You've got these crazy ones on your shit as well legs. Yeah, when did you start?
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve? I got my first one in London. That's late at the Olympics. Yeah, and it says from London to London. And then I won more championships and I got the dates and I was like, I really like it, and then I just kind of went crazy with it. But they're all very very popersful, like they're not just random ones I've gotten just for the sake of it.
Speaker 2: What's the lose and win one again?
Speaker 1: Say that again, you must learn how to lose before you can learn how to win.
Speaker 2: I really like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's dope, And I really understood that when I lost at the Olympics. God we got fourth, and I was like, oh wait four years and then I kind of changed my whole mentality. And then twenty thirteen it was one of my history and I was the first ever black American World champion in the history of of fencing. And I think if I didn't lose, I don't know if I'd ever win. Weird thing to kind of say, but I think it's pretty poignant, and I think it is very important for just your character and just trying to be as humble and even killed as you can, because I never understand some athletes who reach a certain peak and they just change what they are. And I think if you can keep the little kid in you, then I think you'll be able to go through life with a lot more wins than losses.
Speaker 2: It's such powerful advice I remember I had. Obviously I never competed at any any level. But I remember having a football coach who'd always say to us, he was like, if you win, celebrate for a night and then get back to training. And if you lose, cry for a night and then get back to training. And he was like, all you have to do is get back to training, said everything else is irrelevant. You can celebrate for one night, you can cry for one night, but get on with it. Because his whole point was like, when we lose, we cry for a month, and when you win, you celebrate for a night. And that's why you remember the bad times more than the good times, because when you lose you get so deep into it. Talk to me about that loss that you had the details of what it felt like to lose in that way.
Speaker 1: Well, it felt like you're life is over. At that time, my nan was there, you know, she's an African, like my aunts were uncles. Everybody supported me, and I'm like, I feel like I let everybody down and they don't care a little bit for who I am. But at that time, that was my biggest moment in sports is making the Olympics in twenty twelve in London, and I just felt like, oh, ho hometown and Shane and myself, and a really really beautiful moment for me was I'm in the village and the Bastle team walks in and Kobe walks in and he's like, hi you, and I'm like, hi you doing is that? I'm Kobe. I'm like, I know who you are. I'm Miles, I'm a fencer. And he told me this quote. I never forget it. I got tattooed my leg. He says the best athletes have the shortest memory. You win, you forget about it. You lose, you forget about it. When you've done your career, you can celebrate all you want. And I sat there and I was like wow, And immediately that grinn turned into a smile, and then I changed my whole mentality and then I won the next year I was able to tell him, which was really really beautiful. But I think when you meet someone like that who you look up to and they're just even more incredible in person, and he's just very humble and told me that from his coach and I never ever forget that. And I have a tattooed on the back of my leg with his face. So I think those moments are priceless to me, and I think if I would have won, would I've had that time with him, or would I have been able to do more on my sport. So I think everything has a reason to come into your life, whether it's positive or negative, and I'm grateful for these moments in life that you know incredible.
Speaker 2: That's such a great story and I never forget it. Kobe came on the podcast the first year of the podcast. It was brand new, we just started out, and he did exactly what you said. He walked into the room and he introduced himself as Kobe to my whole team, and everyone's like, yeah, we know exactly who you are. And my favorite memory from that day was that when we walked in, he was in his office and you could just see the silhouette of his head and his team was saying that he was meditating in there before he came to do the interview, and he said they said he did that every morning. When we finished the interview, this was a little clip. This clip, I've never put it out there because I feel it would be disrespectful, but at the end of it, he goes, I can see why you're number one, And I was just like that will like stay with me forever. He gave me the biggest hug, and yeah, I was so grateful to And that was like three months before his tragic passing, so it was like right then. But yeah, what an incredible role model, amazing energy, like so present, really humble everything you just said, Like just meeting someone at that level, that caliber, who was just so down to earth.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk too much about it because obviously respect to him. But I was on set with Nike talking about him the day it happened. Oh, the day happened. Wow, And the Lowis actually texted me, I love every brother and I I love you too. But my phone was in the green room and I was talking about him has impact on me, and everybody just sudden silence, and I was like it was you know, and I think lots of than life is people and life's a brutal reminder, and I think it's just enjoy every moment you can, negatives or positives, and I think that's all we can do in life and just leave with love and everyone else will take care of itself. But that man was so special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of a kind.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: It was one of the few athletes I knew that was peaceful in retirement.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was really happy because he was getting he won the Oscar for the short film that was teaching lessons basketball. Yeah exactly. But I was thinking about it. You mentioned something there, you said that you're the first black person in the sport to win. I mean that just, first of all, that is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations. I just want to acknowledge an honor just what a big deal that is. But fencing is known for being a notoriously white sport. Yeah, like that's what it's always been. I assume you can film me in the history a little bit, talk to me about even breaking into something like that, because I don't that's not normal. That doesn't sound easy. I'm sure there's a lot of things to navigate, Like walk me through that experience.
Speaker 1: I was in this group class and you know, they picked me one on a team we did like a first team of it was so three people in one team, us other three and every time I was pitted lost knowing I was not the worst one, and at the time you're kind of like, all right, this is this is weird, kind of looks like me in it. And then I started to realize that no one in the sport really made a mark on them. That was my color sides Peter Westbrook, who I have to give some homage too. And then my first ever Junior Olympics, I never forget it. I got five red cards for no reason, and I knew it was because I colored my skin because the next day I won the under seventeen. I knew it. And now I've seen the referee stole to this day and I still have this this. I was like a little kid, and it's just you don't know why things are happening to you. But then as I got older, I started to realize, but just because they colored my skin, because no one in that sport had broken that mold. And there's been countless times of referees and coaches that are just racial gestures that I've never really talked about because my mum always just said, just just win and then what can they say. I've had many, many occasions from probably fourteen till seventeen eighteen. Then I was like, I'm the best now, and it's unfortunate because now there's still racism in the sport. Right. It happened with this kid in Amsterdam, and I message him right away like, you know, I have your back and I'll talk about it in a post about it because it's you need someone's going to have your back, because it's a very lonely feeling when you're the only one that has felt this way. Once I started to realize that, I made it like a positive chip on my shoulder and I was like, okay, and I never look at life as anything negative, whether it's you know, being racially profiled or losing. I always have a positive outlook on everything because it's never lost, it's always a lesson. And I think that was something that I was like, Okay, this is going to be change in the sport and I will leave fencing in good hands because I know I've changed the sport for the best.
Speaker 2: How did you handle it at the time when you didn't have someone reaching out to you.
Speaker 1: The goodly about fencing is I can take my aggression out on my opponent, so it's a positive thing for the sport to channel it. Yeah, you know, you're crying in the locker room and never crying for my mom. You know, lucky with a mass gone, you you know, shake your opponent and put the mass back on. But I think at that age it's it's okay to cry and it's okay to let things out. Because of all coaches and parents who I've seen who have actually shun their kids for showing emotions. I've seen parents leave their kids in competitions because their kid lost to me, and actually the kid is actually my friend now, and it's just a shame that that parents don't realized how much pressure is on us to just win. So I think now seeing kids that look more like us, brown, white, whatever, girls, I just want to make them feel comfortable and happy and safe. And I think if I can be this beacon for them, then that's what I want to do in this.
Speaker 2: For well, that was so incredible when you launched the World Fencing League. I just got to attend in LA. I felt like you had people from different countries, different cultures, different backgrounds. I mean that was pretty epic. Man, that was amazing.
Speaker 1: It was honestly a dream come true. We sold out, we wrote records. I think over a million people live watching, which is more than the Olympics. And I think just seeing kids, I'm so happy that the sport is on the map. Was the best feeling I've ever felt in my life. So seeing all the little kids on the red carpet to all the fences inside telling me, man, I think you've done it, that was to me the greatest day of my life because it was just we really changed the sport on one day. Because now there's the audience of people that I've never seen it, like yourself, like people intagged people in sports, people that I've looked up to, to the fencing fans. To get the love that they deserved was incredible. Even I'm smiling because I'm generally so happy that it happened, and now the response has been so positive, so we can keep growing and growing. I just want to get fencing on a mainstream channel and platform, which is going to happen. But it takes someone like myself to know that it's going to be tough, but I can handle it.
Speaker 2: For anyone who doesn't really know that much about fencing where it's new to it, walk us through like what the regime is, what the fitness training is, what the skill is, what the art is, like how you train. It's almost like when people want drive to survive. That was when people realized what f one drivers did, Yeah, I'm sure you're working on a version of that for fencing. I see it, yes, And I feel like getting inside your mind is interesting to me because I'm like, I love knowing how people are performing at the highest levels. Figured that out because that's what I'm obsessed with, is knowing how you perform at that level and that peak. So what's the training, what's the focus, what's the patterns, what are the things that you have to do that might surprise us?
Speaker 1: I would say fencing is like physical chess right where it's mentally just as taxing as physically, because I have to think what you're going to do ahead and then react to what you're going to do as well. So I say the three main things would be being explosive, your reaction, and your timing. So if I have to react to you, and then my timing of hitting you before you can hit me, I would say is very very important. But then it becomes a beautiful dance as well, where I'm more of a feeling type of fencer where I like to see what you're gonna do. I have to look at your feet and to look at your mannerisms. But then there's guys that are very good too that are very mental and they'll just sit kind of more defensive and kind of pick you apart. I would say fencings like if boxing, taekwondo and one hundred meters had a baby, wow, because you have to be very explosive rafter gate. You have to be very very reactive, but then you have to have a feeling of kind of if things go bad, how do I change right away? So it's kind of like there's no real sport like fencing because it's so unique, and then once you see it in person, you're like, oh my god, the royal athletes don't let the parent trap you know, great movie brom like you know, people like oh yeah, I'm like no, no, no, people died fifty six years ago because it's an actual sword, right, I do of the foil discipline, But so I'd say it's it's like physical chess. Well, I tell people where it's just as taxing mentally as it is physically. It's such a unique sport because it is grip strength as well as core and your legs because you're in a squad the entire time, and I think you know, as you saw, it's so explosive and it can be over in five minutes or forty minutes, so you have to have a great view too as well. Get your heart rate from you know, one sixty one seventy back to the low seventies eighties. So yeah, it's it's a crazy sport.
Speaker 2: When you're training for a big tournament, What does your regime look like for how long?
Speaker 1: So I would say preseason, we're doing a lot of cardio and it's like similar to boxing, right, so we'll do ten mirounds on the salt buike because you know, twenty seconds on, forty seconds off ten times, and we'll do the ski ug and do sprinting. We don't necessarily need too much distance work, but it's more like high intensity. Get the heart rate down, get that right right back up again. And then I like to train four to five times a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday is big fencing, which is sparring kind of get the fencing stamina. And then Tuesday Thursday if you want to do Friday as well. It's more or a lesson, just one on one with your coach, which is how do I want to get better in this tactical movement? And I say that's kind of the building block for most fences. Yeah, whether you're twelve, whether you're my age, it's pretty intense at a young age.
Speaker 2: And then how much are you fencing? Like how much are you training different moves? And if that's even the right word, that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very crib so I like to make up my own moves by myself. I like to spend an hour on my own in the gym when no one's there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I find so hard about fencing is that when I saw it at the World Fencing League, to me, I was like, how do they predict anything? Because you could do anything, Like obviously the target mark is only the upper part of the body, right, you can't get someone's face, you can't get someone's legs, you can't get someone's feet. But even with that, I was like, the way the fences were moving there foil, I was like, how would you know what they're about to do? Because it's so unpredictable. It's not like it's not obvious. It's not like, oh, there's this move and this move and this move.
Speaker 1: Some opponents have like specific mannerisms, were like say, Italians are very good putting pressure on you you know, Russians and more tactical. French kind of have both. Oh it's by country kind of, yeah, I would say, yeah, there's a style in each country. And then the Asians have incredible footwork, like it's it's insane, So you can kind of know that within fencing your Korean you have to move your legs like crazy. I challenge you have to think a lot and react French to kind of have everything in one and then Americans are kind of unpredictable as well. We have our own styles. But I would say for the most part, actually, yeah, it is actually by my country, and I'm like it is.
Speaker 2: When you said people died in the sport how long ago.
Speaker 1: I would say sixty sixty five, seven years ago, because they didn't have the Yeah, so back in the day it was dry, so smiring off and were fencing and unfortunately the foil broke off and went through his eye and it kills him immediately. So nowadays, if it breaks, there's a light that comes up right away, but back in the day, it was dry, so you just have to hope it doesn't break. So it was real, real, like some warrior stuff back in the day. And then now it's obviously progressed and at a new tech, which we did in the whole league, but it is it is we're literally sword fighting. But I think people don't understand how hard it is until you see it, Like it's really really tough. Yeah, and I'll put you know, football, run track. I played tennis, but I think you do realize it is an intense sport. So if I can give that you know, kind of knowledge to the people that don't know to understand it more, I think that's a massive key. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also feel like you bring your swag to fencing you just mentioned. Yeah, Like I'm like, you can go from like fencing outfit met garl at Street where I'm like, I'm sure you don't see that a lot in fencing either. Yeah, I think got your own Nike.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the second one, you know. Yeah, honestly, those are dreams. I think, like I always knew that I wanted to do something different and like never be in a box, but like to be yourself and the best the airwork I ever says Miles, You've never changed. That's the best compliment. I can't even tell some of my teammates what I'm doing because it just sounds so ridiculous. And I won't ever come off as like as cocky or you know, I'm pretty humble if you meet me. So I think from like going from a competition in Istanbul to miamif one to the met to go and right into training. People think I don't I don't miss training, but I go from the airplane to training. So I think like it is a lot of pressure but also is a blessing. But what if I'm tired. I'm like, mate, look at your life, like you're doing some pretty cool things. They're all a blessing, but it is. It is a lot. But I try my best to take some time to you know, meditate. I'm trying to do that. I'm learning because I'm adds.
Speaker 2: Next time instead of poker. We'll do that with everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should know, I reis yeah, or before even before, because I think people don't want to spend time with themselves. And for me, I love hell myself. It sounds crazy, but I love just being at home. I'm reading. I'm finishing the Onto the Tour right now. I'm reading, which is crazy to be on great book. Great book. Obviously. I love TV. I love shows and sports. But I'm trying my best now to like take a deep breath and try and shut my phone off at like ten thirty at home and just you know, take some time with myself and but how are you doing? Are you good? And then I'm like, yeah, I'm good. I'm generally a happy person, like actually happy, so like I'm good on that. But it was also just like all right, like take a deep breath and just relax for once. And I think that's my hardest part is the balance. And I think that's an ongoing battle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like we all think our worth comes from being busy and productive and always being on and it's a good distraction away from your actual thoughts exactly and what's actually going on inside. And then when you slow down, the thought the rises and you go, oh, gosh, I don't know if I can sit with this. Yeah, And that's what I always say that people. That's probably the hardest sport in the world is sitting with your thoughts. Like fighting with your thoughts is the hardest sport in the.
Speaker 1: World, honestly one because especially like as athletes, right, it's like joining the hotel room before and you can't help yourself but to think about tomorrow. So that I read this book about Samurais and it said you can't don't worry about what you don't know. And that's why now I never talk about fencing. I never watched fencing until the morning of I don't even know who I fence until the morning.
Speaker 2: So you don't analyze the opponent until Sometimes I don't know whom an de fence and to I'm on the strip, which is kind of crazy. Why because one time I knew and I couldn't sleep, and then I'm envisioning in my head and I wake up when I'm tired at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: If I don't know what I'm gonna do fencing, how the hell could you pen for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, So I realized that. So now I don't ever ever talk about fencing, think about fencing. I don't want to know. I didn't go to the venue that before. I just whatever city I'm going to kind of walk around.
Speaker 2: Definitely unique for an athlete.
Speaker 1: Oh it's crazy, like why are you doing that? But like that helps me. Yeah, And then that's like how I deal with with pressure, because at the end of the day, pressure is a privilege, but it also comes with a lot of pressure, but also understanding now that like if you can have this understanding that like you're supposed to win competition, that's a gift. So if you can lean into that, like most people don't aren't supposed to win, so they've got no real pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think now understanding that's actually a gift has helped me be like all right, like just you know, lean into this. So I think just learning more about myself has given me more understanding of the sport of fencing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk to me about the road to your favorite tournaments, whether it's the Olympics, winning bronze, World champion, Like, talk to me. Let's talk about the Olympics first, because I mean, and you brought us the Olympic medal, which is incredible, which you're gonna that. I mean, I've never seen one in real life, like you said, everyone's wearing the fake ones when they're out or whatever in the pictures. Yeah, talk to me about what it felt like getting to the Olympics winning bronze.
Speaker 1: I would say, getting there, you know, points zero zero one percent of the population gets to go to the Olympics. I think it's like points to zero zero one get a medal, right, so unless your Phelps has got two thousand of them. But I think when you get there, at least my first one, I changed everything. I was serious. I didn't see my friends, which ended up being their own decision. And then the next year I was like, you know, I'm going to enjoy this. I'm going to get dinner with my friend the night before and I won. That was me realizing that not everybody is the same athlete, and yes there's rules and techniques and routines, but like, I'm not like the next person, so why should I prepare like them? So then once I started to understand that I'm different, then that kind of led me up to Rio and I actually lived in Korea a little bit and I trained with Young Hoo Kim and I won the first Grand Prix of the season, But like, why is he going to Korea? I'm like, why not? And I won the first Grand Prix the season and I was like, that's why, because I wanted to learn something new. I think as athletes, change is okay, but sometimes it's hard to take that leap right. And then I made the Olympics and they had the best team fancy of my life and I was able to enjoy the moment, the process being real, you know, meet the other athletes, and I think that was when I realized you need to enjoy the journey because when you're done, besides of metal, memories to me more important and if you lose those memories, then you've lost, I think, the coolest part of the journey. So I think leaning into like the understanding and having fun was ultimately why I was able to, you know, go to three Olympics and have success. And you know, now I'm like, this kid's like, I'm so stressed. I'm like, what are you stressed about? Because you want to win? That means you care next thing. So I've been able to go through each of these ebbs and flows and have answers to most of them, which I think is the key to success. Right, everybody can be really, really good if you can unlock the mind. That's when you become a legend. And that's why I'm learning from people who are legends of you know, taking those risks and being crazy, because you know, it takes one person to change the world, right, this one person to change the sport, and I think if I can be that person. Then I've created a whole new roadmap for the next kids to oh wow, this's a different approach for me, which has been a blessing.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love the idea of you get a career learning a new school of thought. I love the idea of being this multifaceted individual because you're so right that whether it's sports or whether it's business, whatever it is, everyone thinks that there's only one way to do it right. And then you speak to all these founders and you're like, no, they all did something different. They discovered their idea differently, they built teams differently, and they took their human experience and put it into what they were doing, and that's what made it as good as it was. I've really been on this type of wanting anyone, whatever industry you're in, whether it's sports, media, business, whatever it is, finance, tech, to find what it is that makes you different and lean into that and not lean into thinking how do I look like that other guy who's doing it as well, because I think that time is gone. I think that time existed. Back in the day you had to wear the suit like that guy wore, and you had to wear the shit that you wore and you had to play golf like him or whatever it was. I was like, that's changed now. It just doesn't work that way exactly.
Speaker 1: He said it perfectly, because there's always this stick of one like I have to do a kind of a tattoo because I'm going to get a job. I told my mom I'll be the first ever. Not that money matters, but I'll be the first ever a millionaire of Fenser. It's like saying I'm gonna see unicorn because it's never existed. But I knew if I was just myself, it would figure itself out right, and I have tattoos. And then now this kids are getting tattoos because it's such a still elitist, uppity sport and you can't do these things. I'm like, no, why not? You know, oh won't be in the meeting with CEOs and mostly sitting with the guy that made your phone and I myself right, So, like you said, I think it's that time is gone, but I think people are still so scared to take a risk. And I think that's the difference is so many people that are the same nowadays, which is I think the issue. And I think if you can just honestly be yourself, you'll figure out what life is for you. And I think I never wanted to be like anybody else in sports or life in general. And then there were those times when I was like, what's just the right decision? But I knew, keep your head down, keep being you, and things will happen for you, and they did. I used to think that fencing was like my kind of anchor. Oh he's a fencer, but that's actually my gift. I saw a lot of people, Oh yeah, I played basketball, you know, just like I believe it because if people were trying to make fun of me or trying and fight me or believe me in school, Yeah, because I was a fencer. Wow, because to them it was not a cool sport. And then now my Instagram is fencer and I'm like, that's what I'm doing. That's my purpose, right And Michael straighthand one of my great friends and mental always told me never mess up your main and keep that your main. I was like, fencing is my main. Everything else will come, but just don't lose like of what you were here on this planet to do.
Speaker 2: Did it affect you between when your father left, when you were eight, and then before you had your now dad that you mentioned like, did that affect you in anyway? Like?
Speaker 1: I think it did for sure. And I think there are times of like now that I'm old and I can understand it, like why you get into trouble? Why are you doing these things? Right? Think it probably does stem from trauma or stemming from something, because why else would I be acting up. My mom's amazing mom. She's giving me all the right lessons, like why is this happening? Obviously one of my best friend Lewis was but you need to attack that to understand that, right, like why is this happening? And I, you know, we went on a spiritual I went on a spiritual journey and understood. Oh wow. And I didn't talked to him for ten for over ten years.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, biological father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then you know, I had this awakening, picked up the phone and called him. I said, hey, Dad, this is Miles. How are you? I don't know about the past, has everything going on? Because I also realized that kids don't realize that their parents are growing up as well. And that was like, oh wow, not saying right or wrong, but once I did that, it was like a and then I think I started to just understand way more about myself. So I think definitely I had trauma without even knowing it was trauma at the time, and then now it's like I've got such a clear understanding of that probably made me who I am, so I almost wouldn't want any other way. And then my stepdad, who is my dad, is the most amazing person, and he taught me how to be a man. And I think that's the coolest part is having this kind of roller coaster journey created you know, this person in front of you. But I think not having that grown up somehow helped me not take no for an answer and really knocked some doors down. So I think it definitely was a time when I had to be like, Okay, why are you getting in trouble, Why are you getting arrested? Why are you doing these things? Did you get Yeah? One time I was a stupid competition and I was like throwing these like shampoo bottles down, and then it was just stupid. I got handcuffed and then my mom walked in, Oh, this is the worst story. And then my mom walked in as it happened.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, my god, you're more scared of your mom hundred percent. Oh my god at that age for sure. And then it was just like these moments of like why are you getting in trouble? Why get in the fights? Just you know, but I think you're all stemmed from trauma that I was like small things like I never.
Speaker 1: Had that, what's it the birds and the bees talk? Whatever? That is your parent or the small little things that I think are important, especially at that age. So I think that was definitely a reason for all of my negative antics. Was definitely probably because it was just my mom and she.
Speaker 2: Was trying her best.
Speaker 1: She was crushing it, but she never complained. I never saw her cry. I never saw her anything. And now she's hopefully living the life. But she is the strongest man and woman I know by far.
Speaker 2: What did your biological dad say when you called him after those ten years?
Speaker 1: I remember yesterday it was like a hello. I was like, yes, it's Miles. He was like hi, son, and then I was like, listen, I don't care about the past. Do you need anything? How are you talk for about? I want to say? It was like forty five seconds, I think I'm bossing on the song and then it was just like whoa. But it was like a really nice closing a chapter and then opening a chapter. I remember I posted about it because I was very scared, and especially like black men, it's very common you have a dad, oh you know, And I talked about it and I got so many lovely messages I'm gonna call my dad, and I was like, oh, I didn't realize it was such a big thing to talk about. I've gone through a lot of my life, but they're all blessings in a way. But I think it's so important to address issues, no matter how hard they are for you at the time. Yeah, and now you know, he's never seen me fence before, which is crazy. And now I'm like, maybe that's maybe that's a time. You know, who knows. I'm open to it. For the first time was back in the day, I was like, I'll never talk to you again, But now.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, opened you up to it.
Speaker 1: I think just understanding that everybody has their own issues, whether they're good or bad. I have to understand that as well. You know, there's something that he's gone on in his life that he hasn't told me, or certain things right, And I think just understanding that the parents are still growing up in front of your eyes. And then I had all the answers, was like, oh, okay, myles, Now I know the data will be when I have kids, you know. So I think that was really really eye opening for me to understand that you're going to cry. Cry made you know that's all right. I remember I didn't cry for like sixteen years. So I was like, I'm you know, just stone call this and that, and I was like, that's all right, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's such a stigma. And then now I was like, no, like you'll have emotions that that those are okay. So I think that was just a massive learning process for me, which helped me in my sports because now I was like, I couldn't do anything like harder. That was way Harderah, calling him was way harder than any training sers I've ever done in my life. I could have done my ever, I probably would have picked my everest over a phone call. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: I think people underestimate how much a lot of our physical and mental blocks are actually emotional. If we were to get past and do the emotional thing, then we'd be able to do physical and mental things that we don't even think is possible. But we're all blocking ourselves and limiting ourselves because there's some sort of emotional unlock that we haven't allowed, whether it's forgiveness, resilience, courage, fear, whatever it may be. And that's really powerful to hear man. Thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 1: It feels us good to talk about. You know, I almost forgot around the podcast was just having a chance, And I think that's the core thing is like emotions are your best friend. Right if you feel a certain way, you can lead into it. Just don't let that dictate your entire day. So I think that's something that I learned as well. I'm feeling this way, let it out and then move on. And then it all ties into just understanding who you are at the core, because I finally know now who Miles is because I have to take those you know, hallowt and mirror, figure out to take the losses with all the winds and now understand that. Okay, now I've got a clear path of what I want to do.
Speaker 2: How did you develop all these mindsets and principles? Where did you learn them from? Because you're like I'm not talking to a philosopher, no, but I mean I'm saying in a positive sensor you've got It almost feels like you've got these codes that you follow and you've programmed your mind to think in this certain way. Where did you pick them up from along the way.
Speaker 1: My mom said the same thing recently, and I don't really know where they've come from. But I just feel like, if you're going to have to do something right, why not try and do it with a smile on your face. Right, I've got to go to training from hungry or not, I have to do it anyway. And I think one of the biggest moments, which I'll talk about right now, which I don't like to talk about it norm really knows, but the first Olympic qualifier, I was on the way to a Believe Vegas to support Lewis for the race. My sister suffered a stroke thirty seven years old. That was probably the hardest moment I've ever had to kind of understand, and I fear with the Olympics all right. I flew to Miami, opened the door. I see my sister with a feeding tube and a breathing tube. Unfortunately, you know, it's it's the times when you have to just lean into it. And that was the first time I became a man, and it's the first time I ever saw my mom cry. Sorry Mom. But I just was like, Okay, this is happening. How do we find some type of silver lining in this moment? And you know, start in the hospital, writing things down, Journaling all those past situations prepared me for this. I was able to just be an umbrella for the for the family, and I think that was the moment where I was like, Okay, wow, I got this. You know, he's got two beautiful kids. You know, obviously this is you know, domestic violence, which is which is one thing which is awful. And I think this is my sister who as a brother, she understands what I want to do is, you know, is take care of my sister. And you know there's certain things that you know, she won't tell you all these things because she knows what her brother would want to do. And I was like, Okay, Miles, we're going to figure this out. And I was able to make the Olympic team, which probably the first time everybody's going to know while dealing with this, I would fly from Japan to Miami, spent the time in the hospital, help about with the kids, changing nappies for the first time, you know, just being there for my family and my mom and dad did the most incredible job I've ever seen of just becoming parents again. And I think that's where whether you believe in is testing you because you knows you can handle it. And I realized that I can handle anything, and it was kind of compartmentalizing. This is, you know, going from the hospital I see you to a competition and somehow doing well is the bigges accomplishment I could. I don't even know how I did it. To be honest with you, I've got no idea, so make any Olympics. I was like, that was nothing. So I think that's when you feel helpless, right and you feel like I can't do anything because I literally can't do anything but just give positive love and energy. And I figured out a way to in fact, I make my family a filities or smile, and you know that's going to help through this process. That to me was the first time I became a man one hundred percent. So now talking about it and you know, showing people what I had to go through, I think you realize why I go so hard, because there's nothing that will stop me or can start me. Because I've seen you know, my sister on those ICUs, which is the scariest place to be and as her brother, you know, making her smile and doing these things is why you're putting this on this planet Earth. And I think you've got people around you to talk about it, you know a little of flying and see my sister. You know, that's the most emotional thing I've ever been through, just time and support, knowing how busy he is and you know, spins just being there for me is like beautiful. So I think if I can take that and as like my dragon ball z and you know, build that up and give it to the world, we can do anything.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing. How is she now?
Speaker 1: She's getting much better? Yeah, I think she's you know, she's actually in London that she can fly again, and you know she's obviously recovery. You know, stroke is very extreme, so she still has to learn speech stuff back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she.
Speaker 1: Can function on her own and she's stronger than me. So and as you know, I'm still allttle brother, but I became a big brother at that time.
Speaker 2: I've seen people I know go through strokes and it's I mean, yeah, it's one of the most scary things to watch someone you love go through.
Speaker 1: At thirty seven. Yeah, that's health. You send marathons. I can't run a marathon. Yeah, yeah, you got to you know, choose your partner right. And stress is a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it puts everything into perspective those moments.
Speaker 1: It's funny because at that time the Olympics is everything for me. When you get there, perspective is mad because it's like, that's actually the smallest thing you could accomplish in my life because it's obviously different things I want to do my life. But it's funny how like, at that time, it's got of making my life is over. You know, when they make it, you're like, I'm so grateful, But there's so much more to life than just that.
Speaker 2: Mars, what are you most proud of in your life? Because you talked about the hardest times, most difficult times, what are you most proud of so far?
Speaker 1: Never losing miles along this journey, I'm still the twelve year old kid, just six pip covered tattoos and changing my sport forever is probably the two things I'm most proud of. Winning is great, but changing a sport is bigger than any Olympic goal. But I could ever win. I got message recently that this kid used to get bullied in school, a black kid as well, from North Carolina. Mom sent me a message. He showed them pictures pictures of me at school and that changed, which is crazy to me. Right, So like that to me is so cool. If I can just be a beacon of light to these kids, I've done my job. I think that's one most proud of.
Speaker 2: You see, if I get an emotion about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never thought, man, I never in my life thought I would ever have impact on these kids. Never because in fancy I never anyone that I wanted to look up to or be like. So if I can see these kids, you know at the league that come to me and they're like, I love you, I'm like, you know, it's I love you too. But it's so beautiful to have this love from them. And the parents are like, oh, you're so nice and kind of normal. I'm like, yeah, my parents raised me to be this way. I think at the end of the day, we're all human beings and as long as you've got a good heart and good core. I think that that's that's the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, And you're you're surround about that too. I mean, like you know, you mentioned Lewis there as well, Like he's so humble, he's so down to earth, like you know, you would never know, you would never know, Like you know, he's the most unassuming guy. And I feel like, who are the other athletes that you admire, that you talk to, that you picked their brain, that you try and understand their process as well and how they live life.
Speaker 1: Well, one was definitely Kobe, you know, like asking him questions like do you really watch like lions eating prey before you know? He's like yeah, And I'm like, oh my god. And just like that mentality is so rare. He wus why he's you know, mama mentality. That's one of them for sure. Michael Strahan as well. It has been an amazing person of transitional from athletes to post athlete. But yeah, there's not that two men that spent too much time with We're able to like sit down and really kind of dissect You're busy.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got crazy schedule. Yeah, athletes have the craziest schedules.
Speaker 1: You know, understanding your time. Yes, there's not might be the wrong time, whatever, But I would say definitely obviously Lewis, Michael Kobe, those are kind of the people that are able to you know you as well. I'm not an athlete, like you said. You know, if you I think I understand your thoughts. Is the hardest sport, well, yeah it's not many I've really had the opportunity to spend time with beyond just Hi, respect what you do and best of luck.
Speaker 2: Mars Well, if I not asked you that you wish I did, well, if you're not shared whether you're not talking about great great questions, you're just curious. Man. I was like, you know, we just had fun last summer and that's all thanks to Lewis too, A big shout out to Lewis connecting us. But I'm like, we just had a good time. And I was like, I want to get to know this guy, you know, because you're obviously operating at a high level. But I didn't realize. And this is what I love about doing this, This is why I love this podcast so much, is because I thought the most interesting thing was what you did, and now I'm sitting with you, I'm like, no, what you've been through and what you've lived through and what you've learned is so much more interesting. And I think that's the reason why the podcast is called on Purpose, because it's people's purpose and their mission and their values and the belief is so much more fascinating than what we do for work. What we do for work is great, it's cool, But beyond that, there's a whole human you know, that lives and.
Speaker 1: Exists exactly exactly, and the human is like what keeps us going. It's the heart rates everything. But at the end of the day, we have these gifts in life and it's like, how are you going to use these in the best way possible? Right? So, from a little kid from London to having two Nike shoes never my life to creating a walk a fencing league. Is this All you need in life is self belief? And I have a tattooed right here that's all you need in life. If you have those you know, pinnacles and those beliefs, you can do anything. And I think you know, meeting you someone who've been a fan of before getting to know you, Oh, he's even more incredible person because you you're the same on camera and off camera, which very for people are like that, especially in the field you're in. I think that's the key is. And when people see me they're like, oh, you're nice and funny. I'm like, yeah, well what do you think I.
Speaker 2: Was so yeah, you guys were a bad influence on me. I played poker for the first time in twenty years because of these guys. I hadn't played for twenty years and the fact that I won that now, I was pretty impressed.
Speaker 1: You smoked us. What do you mean you destroyed us?
Speaker 2: Why didn' Lewis go down? Was the best bit there?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and he was like I'm buying again. I was like, okay, well send me some money, bro.
Speaker 2: I kind of played for twenty years, but I was like, you know, I want to bond with the guys. I want to stay out, you know, I want to hang out and say, you guys are a bad influence on me for sure.
Speaker 1: Now, but you're one of us now, you know, or a wolf pack. But it's That's what I'm so grateful for, is like collections beyond just you know, these kind of stuffers level like I know that if I was to ever, like, talk to you about someone, you give me an honest answer. I think that's the key is I never want any friends with people around me that it's like, oh, are you doing good? It's like, let me be real with you. I think that's the key is whoever is around you is a faction of yourself. So like you know, all the boys spends, all just amazing humans that pushed me to be a better person. I think that's the key to why we're so special in our crew is because we keep each other accountable, we support each other, and we generally want each other to win. I think is a very rare thing for people, especially men in general.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, that's what's so impressive about it is that it's a group of men who are killing it on their sports. They're doing incredible things, but at the same time have this like brotherhood that you guys have all built with each other. That feels like a massive, massive thing to be proud of, especially when right now men there's so much loneliness for men across the world, especially in the States. The loneliness statistics are so high, and men don't how to connect with each other. They can't pick up the phone to each other. What would you say to a manage lone he doesn't know how to pick up the phone to his friend and tell him how he feels. What would you say?
Speaker 1: This quote was, we're just passing through and a tattooed here where it's whatever moment you're feeling. No, that's not forever, right, And I think that's something to understand, is like this is not going to be forever. But also people want to know what is really going on with you, and I think it's not. You're not a burden. It's actually a gift to be able to like have your friends, you know, be honest and true to themselves about you. That's actually I love to hear that, Like it actually lightens my day, whether it's a sad thing. So I, oh know he really cares about me because he's coming to me as one of the last, you know, kind of resorts. So I would just say, you're lean into however you're feeling, but please just call your friends, like you're never alone. I'm grateful that I've never been that situation, but if I ever was, I know I could call any of my boys up, you know, get me through it. If you lose a race, lose competition, I'm gonna call you like bro, so I feel and then you feel better. Just know that this emotion is not forever. And it's actually beautiful to talk to your friends about it because it actually makes me feel good knowing that you're coming to me. So it's almost like a step for the both of us. So I think, yeah, just just talk and being lonely like it's and I want anyone to feel lonely. If I see a little kid at the club or a competition, I'll just go up to them, Hey man, how are you right? It takes two seconds and that might be like, oh he said high to me. That might change that everything. Also, I think knowing your your purpose and your celebrity in our mind the defencing world, those moments change lives, and I think seeing that is really really cool. You know, I'll be driving sometimes I'll just I'll just scream I love you. Why not? You know, there's a small little it's just nice and I think you know, I'm just generalely a happy person. But if I can as you really really, I'll leave you with us. Is Spinds message to me, And it was a quote was like, I make people feel better when they've left me, and it was the best thing I could, you know, I could ever he send it to me.
Speaker 2: That is the best thing that feels That's my favorite type of person, you know.
Speaker 1: Like that feels so nice. I feel good now. Yeah, So if I can be that, please.
Speaker 2: Someonews walk us through the gear because it's going to bring back some memories for me of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I got you. So this is these are my babies here. So we have two masks.
Speaker 2: What's the difference in the mask just like just the swag Yeah yeah, and you can see through these yeah perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's actually gift from you, gift to you to you. Yeah yeah, as one as that on my Olympic ones. I used.
Speaker 2: No, dude, that's very kind and I'm going to put it up in the studio.
Speaker 1: That's that's literally one I used.
Speaker 2: You gotta sign this for me.
Speaker 1: I used for and I and so that's that's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: That means a lot, man, Thank you so much. That's amazing. What on that? That's so cool? This is it?
Speaker 1: So this is a foil that I use and all of them are like customly made for your hands. Right, So this is molded specifically for my hand, and this is one that I trained with. And then this is the tip now, which which you know, but we used to have the rubber thing. Yeah. Yeah, so that's like what you would train but this is like what I practiced competition wise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course this is so this has been made specifically for your hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you're gonna put your thumb toward the end of it, so right right towards the garden underneath it and the grip it that yeah wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the grip strength and that's.
Speaker 1: What has massive because it's like all grip strength. Wow. Yeah. And I have, like, you know, a bunch of them.
Speaker 2: Is there a difference in any of them or no? They just you just have multiple for.
Speaker 1: I'll like name them and like this is my baby number one whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's the same weight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always same when trying me the same balance if you can, you can, you know, but the balance.
Speaker 2: What is the balance tell you?
Speaker 1: So like if it's more here, then it means it's more tip heavy. And then if it goes back more and it's more God heavy.
Speaker 2: So this is god heavy, yeah exactly, because it just keeps doing out. Yeah, so because my what difference does that make when you're fighting for me?
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. But like sometimes if you want to attack them more, then it's it's easier if it's more tip heavy. But for the most part, you can kind of just yeah, it's kind of crazy. This is my job. Yeah, no, I know this one is one that I one I forget which woke up with. But this is one that you're going to have as well.
Speaker 2: What you don't keep giving me.
Speaker 1: Gifts of those two, I want to give you something that's that those two are legitimate gifts for you.
Speaker 2: You're kidding, you have to do that.
Speaker 1: I want it. And then and then the tip broke off on someone, so there's a story behind it when when the mark on them as well, So you can literally say that, yeah, I almost it was older days and it might have went through them, but those crazy I'm want to give you.
Speaker 2: That's very kind. There's going to go up in the studio. Yeah, this is such a cool.
Speaker 1: Bring like three or four with me. And then I was like, I'm gonna give ja gift.
Speaker 2: Thank you man. That's I am touched. I'm really touched.
Speaker 1: It's honestly a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you man. That means a lot.
Speaker 1: And now I'm competing.
Speaker 2: Look, you have to sign this. You got to sign this for sure.
Speaker 1: Amazing, but yeah, this is this is yeah crazy, this is my world.
Speaker 2: And was it hard to decide whether you fought for America English?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Louis tells me every other day. But if you get me knighted, bro, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't. I was going to be a professional offenser. I did it because we needed instead of two visa, we needed to just stay in the country. And then my little sister was born in New York and that's how we got a citizenship. And then I was like, oh wow, that was too late. Did they try to have me do media training? I was like to stretch my accent, you know, because I'm from London, and I was like, I'm like, I'm not going to change it, of course, but you know, obviously, you know, America's an amazing things for me. So I'm grateful for this country. But obviously I was born in you know, Samury's hospital. Yeah, thank you for these gifts, my pleasure, mate.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I was like to come to someone and give someone something.
Speaker 2: No that's very very thoughtful. That's very thoughful. Yeah, Myles, this has been amazing. Honestly, I feel like I've got to know you and sech a deep level. This is the good thing about podcast too. Even when you think you know someone, yeah, you sit down and talk to them for like an hour and a half and you're like, oh, wait a minute, I didn't realize. We end every episode of On Purpose with a final five. These questions have to be answered in one sentence maximum. Okay, Miles Chumley Watson, this is your final five. Question number one, what is the best advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: It's never lost, it's always a lesson good advice.
Speaker 2: Question number two, what's the worst advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: That you should never show emotion?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great answer. I don't think we've ever had that on the show.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Question number three? What makes a good friend.
Speaker 1: Someone who you can call no matter what, who's always there for you, and who calls you not wanting anything.
Speaker 2: That's the best phone call when neither of you need nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two hours of talking about nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I talked to my best man, who's my best and I'm already my best friend for the last twenty years. I talked him three times a week on the phone. We never catching up. I already know what's going on in is like there's not yeah, and never asking each other phone It's amazing. Question number four, what's something that you used to value that you don't value anymore.
Speaker 1: Something that I used to value is other people's attention. Something that I value now is people's time. You know, one thing I could think of is obviously that my league debut is and obviously having someone come there to support me, know how busy they are. Showing up for me and knowing how important your time is means so much to me because I know that that time was occupied. So knowing that your time is so important that you chose to spend it with me is bigger than doing anything for me.
Speaker 2: Fifth and final question we asked this every guest who's ever been on the show. If you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
Speaker 1: No matter the color of the person and skin, you give them a hug.
Speaker 2: It's a good one.
Speaker 1: I like it a hug and cute everything. How's your question? Yeah, what's the most thing that you're proud of.
Speaker 2: I'd say two things. One is when I get messages that say, you know, your work stopped me from committing suicide or helped me through my divorce or made me chase my dream or quit my job or whatever it was, and getting to message that person back and say I didn't do it, you did, Like I love that because I like reminding people that I don't have the answers, they already know what they want to do. I'm just glad that something someone I interviewed, someone I sat down with had that impact on them. And the second thing I'd say is that I feel like I'm really grateful that I get to be the postman for this five thousand year old tradition. So just as you're the face of fencing for me, I got to study this Eastern tradition of the Geeta the bug with guitar, which is a book which is five thousand years old, and I'm just today's messenger of it, and I'll be forgotten, and that's all good with the message continues on. And I feel so grateful that I get to be the messenger for an empire that is much bigger than I am and much longer lasting than I am, and how lucky I am that I get to be that person. So yeah, those would be my two. Wow, don't flip any more questions, Mars, know that was an amazing answer.
Speaker 1: My mom sends me more to clips and having them from you, it's amazing. But keep doing what you're doing man, and grateful to call your friend. But what you do is is remarkable.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Mars. Everyone who's been listening and watching, make sure you clip this up, share it on social media. Let me know what resonated. Miles dropped so many gems. I feel like there were so many now gets a wisdom. He's been dropping more quotes than I did today, so make sure you click them up. I want to see what resonated with you, what connected with you, and of course if you're an aspiring fencer, aspiring athlete, aspiring anything, I think there's so many great mindset pieces in this episode that will help you get to where you want to be. A big thank you to Miles again for coming through. Excited to keep supporting you, keep building our friendship and let this be the first of many.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you absolutely man. If you love this episode, you Love my conversation with four time Grand Slam Champion Arena Saberlenka, where she reflects on her latest victory and the mental battles that almost broke her along the way. From me, success is the discipline that you put in.
Speaker 1: Be there every morning, every practice. Doesn't matter how you feel, it doesn't matter if you want it.