Speaker 1: The battle of the thin phones begins with Samsung's Galaxy S twenty five Edge now and the iPhone expected later. Coinbase gets hacked and promises to pay back customers. A new way to get cash back on your online purchases makes its way to the US, and yes, that even includes Amazon Plus. Your tech questions answered? What's going on on Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful and fun. With that in mind, let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Kim is standing by ready to take your call and get you on the air with me. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to Rich on Tech, do TV and hit contact. Well A warm welcome to you. Tuning in on radio stations across the nation and streaming the beginning of the show on KTLA Plus, which is available on the major streaming platforms. Guests this week, Johnny Jet, you remember him, he joins us to share the latest in travel technology and tips, and later in the show, Steve Fisher, futurist and co author of Super Shifts, is going to talk about the future of humanity and what comes after the age of AI. I think we're all wondering that. Let's talk thin phones. Since the beginning of the smartphone, the idea has always been smaller, thinner, lighter. Our phones have evolved with more features packed into tinier spaces. Now go back to the iPod. Remember it was almost laughable how much smaller it got each time it was released. First you had the iPod Classic, then you had the iPod Mini, then you had the Nano, then you had the shuffle so small you might lose it if you blinked, And that kind of happened with phones. When the first Samsung Galaxy S arrived in twenty ten, it was notably thinner than the iPhone four at the time, and that was heavily advertised. Then each generation of the iPhone shaved off just a millimeter or two to make it ever so thin. That was until the Droid Razor came along. That was marketed as the thinnest smartphone in the world. At just seven point one millimeters thick. Keep in mind they measure these things at their thinnest point, not including the camera bump. Even the original Flip Razor phone that everyone had, I mean, Motorola at one point was on top of the smartphone market. That was seen as amazingly thin at the time. Razor thin, right, see where they got the name, especially compared to one of my first smartphones, the Motorola Star Tac Flip. Remember that one in the late nineties. That thing was huge, and if you had the extended battery on it, it was even bigger. But it was amazing. Then I remember my phone before the iPhone. This was going back to two thousand and seven. It was the Moto Q. Now, this was kind of a sleeper hit for me versus a lot of other people. You know, everyone was into their Blackberries at the time, but this Moto Q stole my attention.
Speaker 2: I lusted after that thing.
Speaker 1: This was the phone before the iPhone, and it was all the advertising around New York City, where I was living at the time, was all about the thinness of this device. And don't forget, this was a smartphone, so I had the smarts built in and it was eleven millimeters thick. Now remember those numbers. Of course, then consumer taste began to change. People wanted more battery life and more performance out of their phones, not just a super thin experience. So phones kind of got a little bit bigger, and they started to come in more sizes.
Speaker 2: Until this week, we.
Speaker 1: Are back to counting millimeters with the samson On Galaxy S twenty five Edge.
Speaker 2: I have it right here. If you're watching on the streaming, you can see it.
Speaker 1: This thing is so thin and light it almost feels fake. It is five point eight millimeters thick or thin. However, you look at it one hundred and sixty three grams, which really means nothing. For reference, the S twenty five Ultra is two hundred and eighteen grams. But it's one of those things that you have to feel. You have to hold it in your hand to realize just how thin and light this is. I've been using this phone for a few days now. It's I mean, we've used this term before. It's an engineering marvel. It is literally one of the slimmest and lightest phones I've ever used. It doesn't feel real, and we have not seen a mainstream phone this thin in nearly a decade, especially not one with specs this good. You're not giving up a lot with this device like you might have in the past for a thin phone. By the way, it's also really slippery, so you need to put a case on it asap. Side point, why are manufacturers of these phones not working on grippier phones? I mean, it would not take much to make a phone that you can actually hold without a case. But maybe it's because the accessory industry is valued at a cool ninety billion dollars.
Speaker 2: But I digress.
Speaker 1: The Samsung Galaxy S twenty five Edge has pretty much everything you need.
Speaker 2: That six point seven inch screen.
Speaker 1: There's no anti reflective coding like the S twenty five Ultra has, which is an amazing feature.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: It also has a two hundred megapixel main camera, a twelve megapixel wide angle camera, but no zoom lens. You can still zoom, but it's all digital, so it's up to ten times digital zoom. Then you've got twelve gigabytes of RAM and same as the S twenty five Ultra two hundred and fifty six gigs of storage or five hundred and twelve and it's got the same high end processor that's in the S twenty five Ultra. Now, Samsung is positioning this as in between the S twenty five Plus and in between next to the Ultra, and if you believe the rumors, the Plus might go away the next time Samsung releases their phones, so we have to keep that in mind. There's also good water and dust resistance, but no spen. But then there's the battery. Thirty nine hundred millionamp hours. Now that's compared to most modern smartphones, the flagship devices, and the Ultra has about a five thousand million amp hour battery. So what does that mean. It means you're getting about twenty percent less battery capacity, which doesn't bode well for power users like myself. That could mean the difference between making it to bedtime or hunting for a charger by dinner. However, I will say in my testing over the past couple of days, the battery does trickle down a little bit faster than the Ultra, but Samsung phones do charge up pretty fast, so you plug it in, it's just fine.
Speaker 2: For instance, I woke.
Speaker 1: Up this morning the phone was at forty seven percent because I didn't plug it in last night. I plugged it in for just a little bit and it was up to ninety seven percent in just a few minutes, so it charges very fast. I will say there is the issue of heat dissipation with these thin phones. So, like I said, I've had my hands on this phone for just a couple of days, it does seem to get warmer than the Ultra. And they've worked on making the Ultra cooler over the years with a larger they called the vapor chamber inside. That's just a fancy term for how air can flow through this phone and make it cool and say cool. But of course I'm using this phone a lot. I'm setting it up, I'm downloading apps, I'm logging into things, I'm putting the phone through its paces. Keep in mind, Samsung is so confident about the thin lightness nature of this device that they actually are going to have special systems to attach these phones, like the anti theft systems in the stores. They came up with, like special ones so that you can actually hold the phone fully without something else weighing it down. You know, usually there's that big thing glued to the back of the phone to keep it keep you from stealing it. Well, they somehow made something that's a lot smaller and lighter, so that it feels like you can actually feel the amazingness of this phone. The Galaxy S twenty five Edge is eleven hundred dollars. It's available on May thirtieth. Now, they do have pre order deals that gets you about fifty dollars off, double the storage, and up to six hundred and thirty dollars for your old phone. But the question becomes, who needs a super thin phone? Well, I don't think it's a bad thing, and I don't think people are going to run out to buy this phone specifically because it's thin, although you might want to take a look at it. I do think once you see and feel it, though, you will be intrigued. Especially if you want a Samsung. You're getting a mostly flagship phone that's a bit different from everything else out there, and this is not just a Samsung thing. Like I said earlier, Apple is expected to come out with their rumored iPhone Air later this year. The iPhone seventeen models will probably include a super thin phone, and next year, Apple's rumored to do their first foldable phone, something Samsung's been doing for six years now. I remember seeing the first fold in twenty nineteen. Yeah, the one that had all those screen issues. Now, you have to give Samsung credit for giving people a lot of choices.
Speaker 2: They've got the.
Speaker 1: Ultra, they've got the Edge, they've got the regular s twenty five and two sizes. Then they've got their foldable phones, one that folds like a book, the other like a clamshell. But the funny thing is, as much as I've been reporting on Samsung innovations for years, many in the Apple ecosystem just sort of discount the news. They wait for Apple to do their thing, and it's happened over and over. We've seen larger screens, water resistance, wireless charging, multiple lenses, and always on displays happen first on the Samsung and then later on the iPhone where they get a lot of attention. The top tech YouTuber I got a kick out of this MKBHD. He tweeted the other day how he was at a family members graduation and the person behind him was marveling at the zoom capabilities of his phone. They'd never seen anything like that before. He said, well, it's as Samsung S twenty five Ultra. The top reply to that tweet was another YouTuber completing the interaction in the way it typically goes, Oh, that's not an iPhone.
Speaker 2: Never mind.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not saying Apple doesn't innovate, but don't get me wrong there. They just take a bit longer to do things, and when they do, they put their own signature twist on it, and usually do it in a really thoughtful, polished way. Samsung probably throws more at the wall to see what would work. But the bigger issue these days is, even though there's no lack of innovation, it's getting tougher and tougher to switch from one side to another. When I first started covering this stuff, the question always was are you going to switch from Android to iPhone?
Speaker 2: iPhone to Android?
Speaker 1: But these days it's so rare that people want to go through the hassle of that. Who's going to move their iCloud to Android or Google Drive to iPhone? Even though the accessory, even the accessori is built up around Apple gadgets keep you wanting more and don't get me started on I message you know my thoughts there.
Speaker 2: Overall, it's a.
Speaker 1: Good thing that companies keep innovating, even if the majority of tech headlines and YouTube videos about the edge seem to be this is a phone nobody asked for, but maybe that's just to get you to click. So while this phone might not be for everyone, it is proof that companies are still trying to wow us, even if that means going back to thin to win. All right, coming up on the show, I'm going to tell you about the new service that gives you a dollar back on every Amazon order.
Speaker 2: But first it is your turn.
Speaker 1: We're going to take your calls at Triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Rich dmiro, and you are listening to Rich on Tech. Let's go to Tony in the Inland Empire. Tony, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi, Rich, thank you so much for taking my call. I really really really need your help. I would like to figure out how to put the setting back to have my iPhone notify me when I leave my phone behind. My phone did this at one time. I didn't change any settings or do anything, but it no longer worked, and I misplaced my phone a few times and I really.
Speaker 4: Need your help.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, what where are you going to get the notification? If it's your phone that's on my watch okay, on your watch.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Yeah, my watch would notify me if I left my iPhone behind, Like if I leave it in the car and I walk away my phone, my I watched with some I'll notify me that I'm out of range or that I've left my phone behind or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, okay.
Speaker 1: So what you're talking about is a feature called a separation alert, and this is a feature inside the Find My app. So what happened is you probably got one of these notifications on your wrist and you might have swiped it away or dismissed it, or turned it off at some point by accident, or you might have said something that discontinued these alerts and they just have to be reset up. So all you have to do is go into the So go on your iPhone and just type in find my and that will bring up to Find My app.
Speaker 2: And there's a whole bunch of stuff going on in this app. Down at the bottom.
Speaker 1: You've got people, you've got devices, you've got items.
Speaker 2: Can you do with items?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so you can do it with items, and then you've got me. So what you want to do is tap devices and if your Apple watch is connected to your phone. You should have some options there. And that's interesting. It's showing my AirPods in a hmm, interesting shows that my wife left. Oh maybe, sure, this is weird. It's showing that her air pods are left at the gym. It looks like but I don't know who knows. We'll see Wait, is that Someone's house? Now, it's just kidding, Jim's house. Yeah, that's funny. Okay, So what you want to do is go under the devices and you know what, we gotta put the show on hold.
Speaker 2: I gotta look at this. I gotta no. I was just kidding. I'm just kidding. Okay.
Speaker 1: So you go under devices and where it says your iPhone. So, for instance, my iPhone is named Rich's iPhone seventeen Ultra, which I know it's nerd humor. There is no such thing as an iPhone seventeen ultra. But I always think it's funny if people see my stuff on air Drop that they were like, wait.
Speaker 2: What this phone? It doesn't even okay, I know I'm a nerd.
Speaker 1: So you go in there and you'll see under notifications, it says notify when left behind, and it should say enabled for you or Apple Watch. If it does not say that, you need to toggle on the switch that says notify when left behind. Okay. And then the other thing is there's some exceptions. You might have turned on an exception. So some people might like this to be turned off when they're at their house because if they leave their phone in their car or something like that, they don't want this or at their work. So make sure no exceptions are on there. And if there's an exception on there, then you can just go ahead and delete that. So you can there's a little arrow like a looks like a circle with a line through it. You can just tap that and say remove, and then once you have that all set up, it should work next time to alert you when your stuff is left behind. Now, these alerts are great, but sometimes they're kind of annoying because if you have a lot of Apple devices, Like every time I go on a run, it's like you just left behind. It gives me a list of like one hundred things. I'm like, I get it. They're all safe and sound in my house. So if you're getting those alerts, you can turn off some of them. If at the secured locations where you might leave your stuff behind on purpose, for instance, your home or your work, or maybe you have a you know, vacation house somewhere. You don't need those things to trigger every time you leave the house. So a great question, Tony, really appreciate it this morning. That is an excellent one.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 1: And yes, I always joke that the number one feature of my Apple Watch is pinging my phone. I love that little feature where you just go on the side, you press the button and there's a little ping if you press the flat button on the side of your Apple Watch and you look in that in all the little quick settings, there's one that looks like an iPhone that's ringing. You tap that and your iPhone will do this. So if you've ever done that, you know that sound very well?
Speaker 2: All right? Eighty eight rich one O.
Speaker 1: One eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's do a quick question here from Melissa in Los Angeles. She wrote in I want to send my nephew some cash for his birthday. I thought I'd use Apple Cash, but the app told me I needed to add a debit card to my Apple wallet. That makes sense, but I don't feel safe doing it since that's a direct line in my checking account. I know Apple is secure, but it seems like credit card companies protect us more than banks. What do you think, Well, first off, Melissa, I think it's very smart that you're thinking about this. Anytime I'm adding a debit card or using that debit card for anything, I'm always thinking about the privacy and security implications. In fact, I have a separate debit card that is not linked to my main checking account just for stuff like this, because that means there's only a limited amount of money at risk. So that is a little bit of buffer, A little bit of a buffer with debit cards. Yeah, it could be trickier to get your money back compared to credit cards, but I will tell you just looking up the Apple Pay security, Apple goes through a lot of hoops to keep your information safe. It says, after your card has approved, they come up with a device specific account number, they encrypt it, and they do not store or have access to the original card numbers of credit, debit or prepay cards. So I think you should be okay, But I like that you're questioning this stuff. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up can get.
Speaker 2: Money back on your Amazon purchases.
Speaker 1: Got an email from Leo saying, I'm supposed to be a tech wizard, but I can't find the option to stream your show live on the KTLA plus app or anywhere else. I should clarify, So if I said live stream, I did not mean that you can watch the first ten minutes of the show on the KTLA plus app through rich on Tech Weekly.
Speaker 2: That's a show that we do on the app specifically.
Speaker 1: So KTLA Plus app is available for Roku, Apple TV, Fire, TV stick, and select Samsung TVs. So it's not gonna be the live show. We do not live stream the show. The only way to listen to the show live is on the radio, and it's that way for a reason because I like it that way. And we may change, you know, we may, Okay, I say that now we may.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 1: Things could change over time. But at this point, the way to listen to the show is live on the radio. If you want to download the KTLA plus app, which you can do anywhere no matter where you live, you don't have to live in Los Angeles, you can watch the first minute, first ten minutes of the show that way. Plus you can see all of my TV reports as well. We package them all up in a weekly show. It's kind of fun and uh yeah, it's great. Okay, let's go to Oh my gosh, so many people. Let's go to Leon in a Fallbrook.
Speaker 2: Leon.
Speaker 5: You're on with Rich Good morning.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 7: When MGM had their big security breach, you were recommending Penchester protect your data. Do you still recommend that.
Speaker 1: We talked about pen Tester. I did not recommend it. I mentioned it. We did an interview with them, and I did talk about how you can use it. They had a special tool that they set up. This was during the big data breach the UH I think it was called the NPD the National Public Data One, and so we did have the guy on from pen Tester.
Speaker 2: We did have the tool on.
Speaker 1: As for recommending these services, I don't recommend a specific service, But if you're trying to sort of rein in some of the information that's out there about you on the web, I think it's a really tough question because here's a thing, and this is actually what the guests and many guests have said, is that the toughest part about all this information is that the worst stuff is on the dark web, and that is nearly impossible to recall. Right, you cannot remove stuff from the dark web. What does the dark web have? Your social Security number, your date of birth, all the really highly personal information, your passwords that's out there on the dark web, the stuff that's on the sort of mainstream data broker sites, your name, your address, your age, your phone number. That stuff is like almost like table stakes at this point. Anyone can get that. Anyone can have that. It's very simple to find that information. So I think the question becomes is it worth cleaning up all that information for twenty dollars a month? And that's something that you really have to decide now. For me personally, I have done a lot of this stuff myself. I use the DIY takedown guide and they've got a whole bunch of them. Let's see, I think it was from delete me. So if you go to there's there's.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's say, is it just delete me.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of services that can give you these guides on how to change or how to take down the information that's you know, on you out there, and so you can do that yourself or you can pay one of these services The thing about paying these services is that, you know, it depends how much you need taken down and how effective that is, because there's a new one popping up every day. It's like a game of whack a ble, And so even if you pay twenty dollars a month to take these things down, there's gonna be another one that takes it, you know, puts it up the next day. So you have to kind of subscribe to them for the long term for them to continually be removed. Now, the one that I did do that was automated. Mozilla gave me a sort of a test account of their service called Mozilla Monitor, and you know, it was interesting and I saw that they did take down like two hundred and fifty different pieces of my data. But again it's still sort of there in general, and so I guess my advice would be, if you want to try one of these things, if you want to get this stuff taken down, it's not going to hurt, but yes, you are going to spend some money. And the idea behind these systems is that you know, you got to kind of beat them for the long term because there's always going to be something new that pops up. So I would say it might be easier to just sort of do a couple of things yourself, get down some of the main things, remove those, and that can help. So I had a segment for ktla remove how to erase yourself from the Internet, that was pretty popular, and in there I talk about number one signing up for Google's free Results about You service, So you can sign up for this and if a website has your personal information on it, you can ask Google to take it down. Doesn't delete the original, but it will take down some of those. Then I talk about the services like you mentioned, including Incogni Privacy b Those are twenty dollars a month. Consumer reports said that a lot of them don't have a great success rate. And then I posted the free opt out guide and this is from delete Me. Delete me dot com has these opt out guides and you can go through almost every website that you've ever signed up for and you can follow their instructions on how to delete your information, deactivate your account, delete the information from those sites. So it could be from a spokio or it could be from something like Angie's List. So again it's this is a system and a process that takes a very long time to do, but it can be done. And those services like you mentioned, the pen testers of the world, they can help for sure, But the main thing is moving forward. I think you have to practice sort of better hygiene when it comes to the web. Use a masked email address for you know, if you're signing up for random things, definitely one hundred percent. Use a strong unique password for every single website that you're signing up for, and then of course two factor authentication, and then you might want to look into sort of freezing your credit reports if you're soci security numbers out there, which it probably is, and you can do all that stuff pretty much for free, So that's kind of what I recommend. I think that that's a great way to go about it. And if you want to spend the money on one of these services, it's.
Speaker 2: Not going to hurt you.
Speaker 1: You know, you're just going to be out one hundred and fifty bucks for the year whatever it is, you know, two hundred dollars for the year. But yes, they will take down a large percentage of your information online. Just understand that it's not the end all. There's still more information that's out there. Leon, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: For the call.
Speaker 1: Do appreciate it. It's interesting, you know people use the word recommend are you know, when it's when they talk about the things that I've talked about or they say endorse, And you have to understand that, like, you know, I talk about a lot of things unless I'm specifically saying like this is what I use, this is what I like, this is what I think you should be using. You know, there's a lot of things that come up in the discussions on my radio show, my social media, my newsletter, my TV segments. So it does get confusing because just because I'm presenting something to you doesn't mean I am saying that this is what you should do. A lot of times I'm telling you kind of the different options that are out there. Okay, big big merger deal. Charter and Cos, the two big cable companies are merging. So Charter Communications is buying Cox Communications. For now, They've seen a whole bunch of numbers thrown around. A couple of them say twenty two billion, some of them say thirty four billion.
Speaker 2: I'm not a numbers guy. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: All I know is is a lot combined company is going to have thirty eight million customers. Good luck calling customer service there. It'll be the biggest cable and broadband provider in the US. The new company is going to be called Cox Communications. Spectrum is going to be the consumer brand for internet and TV.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The deal is expected to say these companies five hundred million dollars annually are within three years. I guess, so layoffs are expected, of course, and you know, the cable companies are painting this picture of a lot of pressure from the wireless companies, the satellite companies, the streaming companies, and I do agree with that. I do think that cable TV used to be a huge, big business that was guaranteed. And now, yeah, you can sign up for Verizon Home Internet and have that wirelessly delivered your house in two seconds, or same thing with US Starlink. So I do think that there is much more competition, and they say that they're gonna have to use this to compete against Verizon and T Mobile. But they did say that broadband is now the main business. TV is no longer the growth area that it was, so they say there will be no immediate impact to customers, but of course we're going to see different pricing changes different package changes. And I always think when these big companies merge, it is never a good thing for the consumer, right it's less choice where you're going to go. But at this point, at least you've got the wireless options, at least you've got satellite keeping these companies on their toes. So it's not going to happen overnight. But I have said before that we are going to see many, many big companies merging in the next couple of years because the time is right for these companies. With the current administration and the climate in Washington, it seems like these big companies have been waiting to pounce, and it is the time for them.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight rich.
Speaker 1: One O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up more of your questions, and I will tell you about the new rewards program that just came to the US and it can give you cash back on your Amazon purchases. I'll tell you about that coming up next right here on Rich on Tech. Edward in Tampa has a question that's very intriguing. Edward, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Yeah, rich wanted to bring this up for not just for people that I live in the row areas. But even even if you live in the city, and that is called Terra. This is the laser internet instead of the traditional fiber optics. What is your take on it? I saw this on that German DW in March. What do you think about something like that.
Speaker 1: I'm the first I'm hearing of it. Is it available in the US?
Speaker 8: I know Google? It comes out from out of Google. So I'd like to see something like this be more in commercial use because I think it'd be very beneficial than the traditional fiber optics.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's yeah, it's so you're not laying any You're not laying any cable basically, Okay, so it's yeah. Interest This is the first I'm hearing of it. But it's Google's parent company, you know, it's alphabet. It's a laser internet company called Terra t A A r A. Now they're independent, so I guess they were spun off. But it basically uses beams of light to transmit data between terminals. So it's sort of a high speed, case free alternative to fiber optics. So if you don't want to lay fiber, you just do this and it can transmit data at speeds up to twenty gigabits per second. That's very fast over distances of up to twenty kilometers. So twenty kilometers to miles is what twelve miles, So these stations have to be twelve miles apart. But it's fascinating. I think probably if I had to guess, the downside is the cost.
Speaker 2: So it's fast, but it's okay. It requires a.
Speaker 1: Clear line of sight between terminals, and performance can be affected by weather conditions like fog and heavy rain. So that's an interesting sort of idea, and I think the bottom line is that it's probably expensive. It's probably right now being used in it looks like it's being used in a couple places India, Kenya, Fiji.
Speaker 2: But I think the thing.
Speaker 1: About here in the US is that we have pretty good coverage with our internet systems that we have, right, especially when you look at something like Starlink that's now covering I guess the whole US all at once, right, So I think this kind of solution in the future, I mean, I think it's going to start with places that are really tricky for putting wires in, and then I think eventually this will probably be a good alternative to either satellite or when the cost gets cheap enough, people will have it.
Speaker 2: It's funny. This reminds me of when I was in.
Speaker 1: College, they had a TV service that was sort of like an alternative to the standard cable service that was beamed. They had to put as little special antenna, like it was almost like an RF antenna on your roof, and then somehow the cable service was beamed to that antenna and it was from I think it was from pack Bell Pacific Bell back in the day, and I thought it was like the coolest thing. So of course I called them up to try to get this installed in my apartment at college, and they came out and put the thing on the roof. They're like, now it's not going to work here because you need a direct line of sight. So that's a fascinating solution, Edward, and I think that it holds a lot of promise, but the reality is I think the the I guess it's a rival to starlink. I mean, that's really what it sounds like to me. So I guess it comes down to which is cheaper, which is faster, and which one's easier for the people that need it. Great question. Thanks for the call today eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. All right, I gotta tell you about this because I've been mentioning it, but this is really interesting. So there's a new cash back rewards program in the US. It's called shop Back shop Back, and apparently this is very popular in Asia and some other countries, but now they just came to the US.
Speaker 2: And it's sort of like you know.
Speaker 1: Those other things that you see out there, like the honey, the cash back things, the two ken However, you say that racketin I think, But what makes it different is that it is giving you money back on.
Speaker 2: Your Amazon orders, which is pretty wild.
Speaker 1: So Shotback was founded in Singapore and twenty fourteen, they've got over fifty million users in thirteen countries. They're headquarters here in Austin, Texas, and they've got over two thousand brands on their platform, including, like I said, Amazon, Walmart, Expedia, Macy's, Uber, Cole's, CVS, Door Dash and more. But it's the only platform that offers a dollar cash back per Amazon transaction. So I installed this, I signed up, and I did my first Amazon order and I got my little emails yesterday or this morning.
Speaker 2: Let's see, let me let me find it shot back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it says your your cash back is tracked one dollar coming your way from your Amazon order, and so once they get the final confirmation, they'll give you the money. So if you go to this website, I'll put the link online. Rich on tech dot tv. But they've got a lot of the big companies on there, and they also Okay, so the other thing they do are these quests, and they sort of gamify shopping. So right now, they've got this quest earn ten dollars when you spend two hundred dollars at any store. And then they got five dollars on your first browser purchase extension, so you have to install a little browser extension. And then, of course I looked at the privacy of this whole thing, because I was worried about that. You know, are they looking at everything you do online? And it says no, we only track your data on the sites that we work with. So when you go to one of our sites, one of our stores, that's when it sort of comes into play, and you'll see it'll spring into action. It'll kind of highlight on your web browser and it will say here, you're going to get a dollar here. Six percent cash back on booking dot com, up to three percent on Expedia, ten percent on Walmart right now for the next two days, ten percent on eBay.
Speaker 2: So they do a lot of these deals.
Speaker 1: Half a percent on best Buy, and again you can just cash out to PayPal after you have a minimum of five dollars. So so far it seems really good. The dollar on Amazon seems too good to be true. I'm not sure how that how long that's going to last, if that's just sort of a grand ope celebration deal. But hey, I shop on Amazon a lot, and let's say you do three orders in a week, that's three dollars back. Why not every dollar counts. So again it's called shopback dot com. And I guess it's probably best to sign up with my code because then I think you get a bonus if you sign up with that. So I'll put it in the show notes rich on tech dot TV. But hey, I mean, I'm impressed so far, and I think this this competes against the other kind of cash back shopping portals out there, like racketin. But the thing about them is I don't think they do anything with Amazon that used to be called Ebates yep, and anyway, so check it out. I'll put out the website rich on Tech dot tv shopback dot com. All right, eighty to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'll tell you why ticketmaster is now showing you the entire price you're gonna pay upfront on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero on the website is rich on Tech dot tv. If you want to get an email into me, just go to the website hit contact. If you want show notes, just tap the episode number one twenty one that has links to everything I mentioned on the show, including that cash back shopping site I just mentioned called shop Back. A lot of you going there to get that information. Steve writes in about the laser Internet won't work. Need to establish line of site permits, so no one builds a house in your path. Just like a microwave link, if you place the transmitter on a hill and put the receiver on your community roof, then you could route the data via ethernet for the last mile. Good for a building, not so good for a home, as the density would need a rather large broad beam to cover multiple addresses in a general area. Good point, Steve, Yeah, I think that goes into what I was saying, where this is much more specialized internet connections, like in a very area that wants to get high speed internet. That's why it seems like they're using it in different countries. First off, you're going to see some changes. FTC's new rule on unfair or deceptive fees is now in effect. This primarily affects tickets for concerts, sports plays, also hotels and vacation rentals. I was not aware that the hotels and vacation rentals had to show all these fees up front now, and sure enough, it just did a quick search on one of the travel websites and yeah, all those annoying resort fees are now included in the full price. So companies selling event tickets or lodging short term lodging must show the real price upfront, no more hidden charges. All required fees must be included in the price you see first. So if extra fees like taxes are shipping, can't be calculated upfront. Sellers have to disclose them before you pay. So the goals to make everything more transparent. Companies can will charge these annoying fees, they just have to be much more upfront about it.
Speaker 2: So this is a great thing.
Speaker 1: How many times have you searched for concert tickets or a hotel room and it's a super low price on the front end, and all of a sudden you get to the checkout page and you know, another one hundred dollars or two hundred dollars of all these added fees, and so it's going to be a lot more helpful. Now, let's say you're buying tickets for a sports game and you say, I don't want to spend one hundred bucks. Well, if you're looking for one hundred dollars tickets, by time you get to the end, that one hundred dollars tickets one fifty, two hundred whatever. Now you can finally say, okay, here's one hundred dollars ticket. When I get to the end, it's going to be one hundred dollars. That is nice hotels, same thing. I mean, how many times you know, especially with these Vegas hotels, you know ninety nine dollars for the night. By time you get to the end, the resort fee is fifty bucks half the price of the hotel. And the reason they did this is because all these sites like Kayak, these aggregator sites that just kind of list everything.
Speaker 2: What do you think people do when they go to a travel website.
Speaker 1: They sort hotels by cheapest to most expensive, and what do they do They look at the cheapest one. So if that cheap hotel was one hundred and fifty dollars for the night, you don't take into consideration the extra seventy five dollars they're charging you in fees. Until you get to the end, you're all invested. You're like, ah, it's fine, I'll just do that now. The one place I think they should have enacted this, which they did not, is the airlines. It is really frustrating with the airlines, especially when you're on a Google flight search and let's say you're going, you know, from here to wherever, and you've got this super cheap fare from one of these budget airlines like a Spirit or a Frontier, and I'm not you know, singling them out saying they're bad. I think it's great that we have these options. The problem is that they're showing you this fair that you know it's eighty to extra dollars to bring a carry on, and you don't see that up front. So I think there needs to be a little bit more transparency there at the airlines, because again, what do people do. They're searching. Unless you're a power traveler that's you know, a certain airline that you're always going on, most people are just searching for their destination and sorting by price, and they're picking the first flight that's the cheapest.
Speaker 2: Then they're surprised at check out.
Speaker 1: And some of these airlines I've noticed because I've taken some of them, they do not give you all the final fees and add ons until the very end, after you're so invested, you've put all your information in, all of your passenger information, all of your personal data, your your credit card and all that stuff, and then finally the last screen they're like, oh, by the way, here's how much you have to pay for all this stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's a start.
Speaker 1: I think it's good, but I think that there can be more that could be done. Let's go to JP in Calabasis. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, great talking with you. Hey, you know, I had a silly question about a phone that's outdated, But now I think I should be asking, is Tara the new Bluetooth.
Speaker 6: Is from?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, okay, cool, Well, before you get into that, I had a question about the s SE. He like a special edition phone that and a lot of my friends really still like, and they discontinue it. You think they're just getting rid of it because they want to bring on the swim phone. And I also had some intel from my buddy who works at Apple. You told me you're gonna hear it on this show first, but they're bringing Apple walkie Talkie next year.
Speaker 1: Mm okay, I have heard rumors about that, you know, it's I think that rumor has been out for a little bit with the walkie talkie, and you know they're using this term walkie talkie. I mean, it's kind of like the next Tell back in the day in a blue bloop. But it's really just going over the LTE networks. And there's a couple of services that already do this. I think one of them is called Relay. Let's see, Yeah, it's called Relay, and it's kind of like basically a walkie talkie, but it just goes over the LTE systems. And if you have an Apple Watch, they already have a walkie talkie functionality built in. I'm not sure many people use it, but if you scroll all the way down, there is walkie talkie functionality on the Apple Watch. And what it's doing is it's actually just using a FaceTime connection, a FaceTime audio connection that is sort of staying persistent in the background for a certain amount of time to let you go back and forth with someone else. So if you haven't tried the walkie talkie feature on the Apple Watch, it's definitely there. It would be interesting if they brought that to the iPhone. I think that'd be kind of fun, especially knowing that a lot of people the young'ins I'll say, you know, my wife works at a school, so she's kind of connected with what the young kids are doing. But they're all using the audio feature on I Message to send each other audio messages instead of typing out messages. So it's almost like a little mini voicemail that gets delivered to your I Message. Anyway, I digress. You asked about the iPhone s. What's happening with that, So the iPhone SE has pretty much been replaced with the iPhone sixteen E and the iPhone SE. What people liked about it is that it still had the home button, but with the addition of the iPhone sixteen E, it is Apple's cheapest iPhone five hundred and ninety nine dollars and it is it's got all the functionality, like all the latest processor and stuff like that. So it's great and it's cheaper, but it's not the iPhone SE. It does not have the home button. And so if you still have an SE, I'm looking at the old ones. Okay, so let's see here. SE second generation was Let's see it was released five years ago April twenty fourth, twenty twenty, and it's got it's still being supported, but it was discontinued. So and I'm just looking at the website end of life dot date. This gives you all the details in every single phone to tell you how long it's going to be supported for now, if you have the old the old SE, the first generation that was introduced nine years ago, support for that just ended a month ago March thirty first, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: That was released, I guess let's see, here was to.
Speaker 1: Say discontinues discontinued six years ago, six years eight months.
Speaker 2: So here's a deal.
Speaker 1: If you're if you're using a phone that is no longer getting operating system or security updates, you can still use it.
Speaker 2: You can ride this thing out forever.
Speaker 1: It's gonna make calls, it's gonna send text, but you're gonna have a couple of things that may not work over time.
Speaker 2: Number one, security risks.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have security patches and bugs and things that are just not available for your phone, or security patches for bugs that are not available on your phone because they're not they're not giving you that update anymore. So you're not only getting not only not getting the new operating system, but you're also not getting any of the security patches. And so that's a that's a pretty big deal because there are always hackers looking to exploit certain features on the iPhone or any phone and use that to their advantage to hack your phone. So if you're not getting those updates, then those holes are wide open on your device. And if you've noticed, on the smartphones, we're getting more and more software updates, and a lot of them have to do with little bugs and security exploits that these companies are fixing. Sometimes they will also impede your ability to download or update your apps. So what happens is, you know, because there's so many phones out there, the phone companies say, look, if you're a developer, you only have to support up to operating system ten or eleven or twelve or thirteen. Whatever it is, just to make things easy, so you're not sitting there pulling your hair out updating an app for three people that use this old operating system, like there has to be a cutoff somewhere. And then of course performance features all this other stuff. Battery, you know that's going to degrade over time. But yeah, you can use the phone at its most basic core functionality indefinitely, as long as the thing still turns on and the network still supports it. I mean, I've got a pixel at home that my kid was playing with, hacking on it, and you know that thing is so old, and I fired it up. I think as Android android ten, does that sound right? But it's uh, you know, it still works, but everything it's like frozen in memory, like there's it's not getting updates. They can't update the apps it's just there. But I tried to connect it to the Wi Fi and it worked and it you know, just understand the security risks of things like this. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up YouTube changing how ads work. You're now going to see commercials right after the most exciting moments in a video I'll explain. Coming up right here, I'm Rich on Tech. Let's go to Vivian and Murrietta.
Speaker 9: So I have a question. So I recently got an email from I mean, I tried to get into my Yahoo email account I've had for fifteen years with no problems. They asked for my password. I put the password and it's it denied it. So then it for me to change the password. They are sending me a link to my driver's to my phone. I never got that, so when and I tried several times, it would never give me that access code. So then I called y'allhoo a hunter number, and they want want to charge me a fee to help me and two which I paid and then when they sent I'm sorry, I paid it, but then I uh, it didn't go through because I fought them on that okay, So then.
Speaker 1: When they how much do they charge you? How much do they charge you?
Speaker 9: Charged me eighty two dollars, eighty.
Speaker 1: Two dollars for customer support.
Speaker 9: Eighty two dollars for support just to change my password?
Speaker 2: What, okay?
Speaker 9: Whatever? I called my bank.
Speaker 2: You disputed the charge. I'm sorry you disputed the charge.
Speaker 6: Afterwards, I disputed the charge.
Speaker 9: But in the meantime, so I called back a second time and they helped me. But they want to send me a link to prove who I am. I have to I send them. The link requires me to take a picture of my driver's license, the front and the back. Sure, And at that point I tried to do it by by kind of blocking my information so they could just get my picture and my name. It wouldn't accepse.
Speaker 2: No, it won't take it if it doesn't show that.
Speaker 9: No, this is fraud, right.
Speaker 2: Well, not necessarily.
Speaker 1: So these companies, these tech companies do and and this is I'm glad that you're you're on alert with this, Vivian, because you know, these hackers do try to trick us into doing things like this. But the big tech companies, and I've seen it, they do require sometimes identification like you're talking about. And so sometimes, like with Facebook, if you're if you're locked out, they will have you sort of hold your driver's license up in front of a video camera on your webcam and do a screenshot like that and like make sure it's you. So it's not out of the realm that Yahoo is trying to protect your account in this way. And you have to understand where they're coming from. You've lost access to this account. You're saying it's mine, and you're trying to regain access, and you know, once you have control of someone's email account, there are many things you can do with that. You can go in there and do password resets and all kinds of stuff and access all kinds of information. So they want to keep this account private. Now, how do you know that the link where you're sending the license is legitimate? Is it a Yahoo link?
Speaker 9: I don't remember right now because I kind of got scared, Okay, so I don't have it in front of me to know if it's lishit or not. And I got just scared because you're right, it could be true. But with nowadays, with everything being so, you know, so many scammers, and the thing is they didn't try to verify my who I am by asking me questions that only I would know. They didn't ask me that to begin with.
Speaker 1: Well, they may not have that because you know, don't forget when you sign up for this email account, you don't really need much to sign up. They're not asking for your mother's maide name, or your social or you know, all this identifying information that a bank would, so they don't really have anything on you. Now, when you're trying to reset this password, are you doing it from a device that you've used before, because a lot of times these these tech companies get spooked when you're logging in from a different device and you're trying to reset your password. So if you tried doing this from the place where you always use this Yahoo account, I did, okay, and it still wouldn't take.
Speaker 9: And so the thing also that scared me was when they were trying to send me a link to you know, with a code, it wouldn't go through to my cell phone. But when they sent me a link to the same cell phone to put my to take a picture on my driver's ices, that went through.
Speaker 3: Okay, And that was the only thing.
Speaker 9: That kind of like that was the red flag for me. But again, I can't prove that it was not legit or legit, but it just kind of That's what scared me, Like, wait, one thing in and going through, but the thing that you need for me is going through. That doesn't make right.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: So look, I mean, I think at the end of the day, I think that you're very smart to be on guard with this stuff, and I think you do need to be on your toes. What I would do is I would try this process again. You already paid the money. Even though you've disputed it, you probably still have a little bit of access to this premium service. I would call back and say, look, I need to do this. Make sure you're calling the number that's on the Yahoo help page, do not just dial a random number. And make sure all those incoming texts and links are going to a Yahoo site. That's what I would do to regain access. This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Joining me.
Speaker 1: Now you know them, you love them, Johnny Jets, all things travel.
Speaker 2: What a busy, busy travel time it is is.
Speaker 1: I know people thinking about summer trips and all this stuff, but oh my gosh, this whole situation with the air traffic controllers. I'm sure you've been following this, Johnny Jet, what's up. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Hey, thanks for having me on. And I loved word science growing up, by the way.
Speaker 2: Right, wasn't it always was? It was just so odd. There's another one.
Speaker 1: There's a movie called Mannekin that they were like where the person came to life. I mean there's so many that, like, Yeah, as a kid, you would just watch these movies and like I didn't understand half of what was going on, but I was like, ah, this.
Speaker 10: Is you know, I'm a little bit older than you, and I understood and I want to be Anthony Michael Hall and I met him one day in the bar in La and we had a fun conversation.
Speaker 1: That see that's only in La story See like only in La. Are like, oh, this person that I liked on a movie as a kid, like I met, Like my kid is watching the show Boy Meets World and there's Dan Danielle Fischel I think it is her name.
Speaker 2: And my friend and I are at.
Speaker 1: Barmt Marmont like many years ago, and who do we sit next to? Is Danielle? This was many years ago and we just have like this whole conversation, and it's like, now my kid's watching that show twenty years later, and it's a panga. Yeah, and I'm trying to like explain to him, like, oh, we had drinks at a bar.
Speaker 2: Sounded weird anyway.
Speaker 5: Especially Lax. I mean, and if you're playing between LA and New York, you always.
Speaker 6: See a celebrity always.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Newark number one. What's the latest on that? I mean, should people be concerned, should they be rerouting or what I flew in there? I had no problem, but obviously I understand the concern.
Speaker 7: What time?
Speaker 5: What time of day? Would your flight? Was it in the morning?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, I don't remember.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're going to do it, do it in the morning.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I would I say avoid Newark?
Speaker 10: I say void Newark anytime, but especially now with what's going on with these air traffic controllers. I mean they're down to three and at times, so it's really for the delays.
Speaker 5: Although I did see some posts.
Speaker 10: On social media where if you want to have an empty seat next to you. There was a lady who just filmed the whole flight LA to New York to LA and the plane was empty, but they were sitting on the runway for hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's that's the thing. Like for our flight going in it was no problem. But yeah, there's like a twenty minute delay. And then coming home they said, look, we're like fifteen in line to take off because they have to space out the planes further just in case the you know, the floppy disk system goes down for ninety seconds and they have to like you'd be like, all right, let's let that plane get out before we put another one behind them.
Speaker 5: Theme is not bad?
Speaker 2: What's that the theme?
Speaker 5: I would take that any day at no work.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, but this is the thing is, Look, new Jersey gets a bad rap to begin with.
Speaker 2: This is not helping.
Speaker 1: You know, I've flown in and on Newark many many times, and you know, with a new a terminal, it's a beautiful experience. It's got a lot of Jersey pride. But you know, and I understand, Look, I travel a lot. You travel a lot. Like people that don't travel a lot, they don't want to be hearing that there's a problem with air traffic control.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: All right, listen, safety wise, you're gonna be okay. If it keeps going on, we'll see, but right now it's fine. I mean all the planes I spoke to have many friends that are captains, right, Like, listen, all our planes are outfitted with all kinds of safety things. If the air traffic goes down, we still can space out, So there's no problem there.
Speaker 5: It's just really for convenience. I mean, Sean Duffy, who's ahead of the.
Speaker 10: Secretary Secretary of Transportation, you know, he just had his wife change her flight from Newark to La Guardian.
Speaker 5: So, I mean that tells you everything right there. Although I don't know if I'd go to Laguardian.
Speaker 10: I look at the Yeah, I just look at the traffic between Newark and LaGuardia. It's only like thirty miles or not even thirty miles, and it was an hour and a half. You could go to Philly, which is ninety miles, and it was it was less time.
Speaker 1: Yeah Philly, Yeah, I went in doubt. Just walk, you know, just just walk to your destination. Okay, So, speaking of all the airline situation, airline complaints hit a record high last year. Why do you think people are unhappy with airlines and how can they get better? Results when filing a complaint. I mean, I know, use chatch ebt to write your letter.
Speaker 5: Definitely.
Speaker 10: The problem with the problem with passengers is that no matter what I don't know, some people just they're just not grateful. I mean, when I get on a plane, I'm like, oh my god, can you believe I'm flying I'm going twenty five hundred miles and five hours? When you know, if my great grandfathers are around, they would take them months to do this, and you can have you can have the same flight and have different experiences with the passenger next to you.
Speaker 5: They'd be like, this was the worst flight ever. The other person to make it's great.
Speaker 10: But I think you know, people do not like to be delayed or have canceled flights, so you always need to have a backup plan. And they also don't like to have their bags gone, go missing or stolen. So don't check a bag. That will really alleviate a lot of the problems. And if you do check a bag, use an air tag and track it that way. But the best thing to do is to carry on only.
Speaker 1: I know so many of the travel experts recommend to carry on only, and I get it for a couple of days, but I know people that can go for like a week or two with a carry on. I can't do that, but I will say I think that the carry on situation is probably one of the biggest pro tips out there because it gives you the most flexibility to do whatever you need to do if there is a delay or a change, or you want to just stay later, leave earlier, whatever it is. It can't be said how important that is to just have that flexibility.
Speaker 10: I mean, when you do carry on, you can show up to the airport late, you go right to the gate. If the flight is delayed or canceled, you can easily get on the next one without having to wait for your bag or have the agent to handle all that stuff. And then you don't have to wait for an eternity for the bags that come out and if they do come out.
Speaker 5: And also you can take public transportation a lot easier.
Speaker 10: When you're traveling light, you can always shift your stuff if you're flying domestically.
Speaker 2: What's what's a Do you have a website recommendation?
Speaker 10: I mean there are Luglass is one of them, but I mean you can use FedEx ground just do it five days in the vans. Make sure your hotel is not charging a receiving fee, which some of them do now and or I mean what I do is I usually ship my stuff going home. I shipped my old clothes, everything that needs to be laundered. I don't care if it gets lost, and I just you just bring the bag to FedEx and they'll just wrap it right there.
Speaker 5: You don't need to do a box or anything. They'll just ship it like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, just do it.
Speaker 5: Just give at least five days in advance.
Speaker 1: I saw that United is rolling out it's starlink on some of its planes yesterday, right, yeah, So I mean this is going to be I think this is gonna be game changing. I had the chance to test this out on Hawaiian airlines. Now United's doing it. Has there been any other inklings of other airlines?
Speaker 10: You know, I'm not sure of that, but I mean I hear it's amazing. It's super fast. I mean some people say it's faster in the sky than it is at.
Speaker 5: Their house the internet.
Speaker 10: So I'm looking forward to that. And also it's a lot of these airlines are now gonna not stop charging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild. So they're investing in it, but they're also not charging. But of course we know they're going to make it up on the fees on the back end. I mean some some kind of new fee.
Speaker 10: They're making money. Yeah, I by American Aligne and they're just rolled out. They're going to start rolling out free Wi Fi. But they charged an astronomical fee. I mean it's like twenty five dollars for two hours right now. Yeah, and United, although you know, if you have T Mobile, you always check to see because if you have a T Mobile you can usually get twenty minutes free or even four flights a year the Wi Fi free.
Speaker 6: So do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great tip if you have a Tea Mobile, if you have a T Mobile phone number, A lot of the login pages say hey, what's your Tea Mobile number? Put that in or actually, I've got a great tip that I'm going to share later on the show about kind of you can just connect to the messaging, even connect to the messaging, you know, real quick. Before we go the resort pass. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 2: This sudary? What what's the deal with that?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 10: Listen, As a hotel guest, I do not like it because it makes a pool.
Speaker 5: More crowded, it's not as exclusive.
Speaker 10: But if you're a consumer, and actually, if you're a hoteler, you got to love it because you're generating more money. But if you're a consumer who you know, don't want to spend the five hundred dollars for a hotel room, they just want.
Speaker 5: To use the pool for the day, I mean it's great. I mean some of these charge thirty dollars a.
Speaker 10: Day, eighty dollars a day and you get in and I you know, I was done in a hotel in San Diego and I met.
Speaker 5: A bunch of people who were using it. This is years ago. That's when I first learned about it.
Speaker 10: I was like, what And anyway, if you just check, it's all around the world. You can check different hotels and a lot of them are even like five stars swanky hotels. They charge a lot more, but hey, you don't need to pay the big money.
Speaker 1: And okay, I know I'm getting the thing that I got to go here AI anything, I mean, are using AI to help plan this travel.
Speaker 2: I mean, people are just like all over this stuff with AI.
Speaker 5: I do use it obviously, I know, I know. Did I turn you onto the app? Flighty.
Speaker 2: I love Flighty. I yeah, So, I mean.
Speaker 10: I look at Flighty whenever I fly, and it tells you what you know, it predicts how long taxi times are going to be airtime, and I would take a screenshot and then afterwards see see how accurate it was a.
Speaker 5: Lot of times it's accurate. Not always, but a lot of times.
Speaker 1: It is, okay, Flighty And then they I wish it was on Android.
Speaker 2: It's not on Android.
Speaker 1: So I tell people flight Radar twenty four is like the good alternative.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you like?
Speaker 5: I use trip it, but that's a paid service plans a trip, but actually that's not paid. But that's I'm an AI.
Speaker 10: But then I use you know, I don't even use I use play aware dot com. But again that's just just track how many flights are being delayed and canceled.
Speaker 2: I always like that. The newsletter.
Speaker 1: You always say like, here's how many flights we're canceled today, like tw n and twenty seven or I don't know anyway, the Johnny Jet Newsletter. Get it if you haven't subscribed, go to the website Johnny Jet dot com. I look forward to getting my Johnny Jet newsletter every day, Johnny, thanks so much for being on the show today.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Follow him on the newsletter johnnyjet dot com. So much information there if you like to travel or you're trying to keep up with all these things that are happening during the summer. All right, coming out, I will share the tip that I have about accessing AI while you're on the plane. If you don't feel like paying for Wi Fi, I'll tell you about that plus more of your calls a triple eight rich one oh one when we come back. Okay, I promise this the Gemini hack. So this is if you don't want to pay for in flight Wi Fi, you can still play with AI on your flight. This comes from Android Authority. They wrote this article about this little hack when of their writers tried. Basically, instead of paying for the Internet, you just connect to the Wi Fi and then you can use your messaging app. Typically all the airlines are many of them let you use your messaging app for the Wi Fi. So if you're on Android, you've got Google Messages. Gemini AI is built in so you can just log in to their WiFi, do the messaging, and then start chatting with Gemini, and now you're not going to be sitting there surfing the web, but you can just learn about something, ask questions, get weather, travel advice. Where you're going all through text messaging. And if you have not accessed this before on your Google Messages, you can just go into your Google Messages in the lower right hand corner. There's like a little that kind of star, sparkly looking star thing. That's how you access Google Gemini and it says, hi, I'm Gemini and Google Messages. Chat with me to draft messages, brainstorm ideas, plan events, or simply have a fun conversation. If you're not on Android and you want to do something similar, a similar hack is to use that text dot Ai service I told you about a couple shows ago. This just works on over any text messaging, so you literally just text the phone number and it will reply back. It's usually like I'm guessing it's using some sort of version of chat GBT or something, but it's kind of cool because you can say, like, you know, I want a movie, your recommendation, You can ask questions, but you go to text dot ai and then you can just start a text chat and it works on Telegram and WhatsApp as well, and you can add it to your group tex So if you want to add it to a text with your friends, that could be kind of funny. I don't know why you'd want to do that, but you could. Let's see here Coinbase. Coinbase was sort of quasi hacked, so criminals targeted their overseas coinbased tech support agents with bribes and they ended up getting access to some of the coinbased systems and they got customer data. Not a lot of users, less than one percent, but if it's you, it still matters. The data they got includes names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, social security number, and bank account details. But it was all masked so they didn't get the full numbers. They just got a portion of the numbers, also ID images and account history. Then these hackers went to coinbase and said, look, we got all this information. Passed twenty million dollars for this to go away, and Coinbase said, noah, we're not doing that. And so some of the customers who were tricked into sending funds because of this, because then the attackers went and targeted these customers and said, hey, we're Coinbase, you got to send money to this to make sure your accounts in good order.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Some people did it, they were tricked and so Coinbase said they will make those people whole again.
Speaker 2: They will pay to pay them back.
Speaker 1: Basically, so if you lost money in this hack, which you know, not a lot of people, but some did, you were already notified by email on May fifteenth. So the notifications came from no dash reply at info dot coinbase dot com. So login credentials, two factor codes, all those private keys are safe. So they did not get that stuff. Let's see here, let's see. John in Denver has a comment. John, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hey, thanks you helly are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well.
Speaker 7: Well if that happened now will You're talking about all those add on seas and hidden fees that the SEC now requires to be listed on websites, and you were talking about the airline aggregators, et cetera. And it got me to thinking to an app that I just got within the past two months or so called payback dot app. Have you ever heard of it or you didn't know?
Speaker 2: I haven't payback dot app p A.
Speaker 7: I Oh, okay, interesting app. And I'm fairly loyal to one of the major US carriers. I've got maybe five or six national and international flights this this coming year, and you basically send the take a confirmation number to this app and they will constantly track the fees for the same flight of flights, and if there's a change fee that's lower, they automatically get you airline credit or full refund of the difference and they take a small cut of it. And it is seamless. It is effortless. Instead of you going every day is looking to see whether your fare has changed prices, this does it automatically if you in the background and secures a better price.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. So yeah, because there's no more change fees. So they basically would say, like, look, here's the instructions on how to rebook your account at the cheaper one and just get the.
Speaker 2: Or do they do it? Do they rebook it for you?
Speaker 5: They?
Speaker 7: Uh, oh, do not change the confirmation number. They did not change your sea dessignments. Nothing changes other than you get a refund of the fair difference.
Speaker 2: Okay. Interesting, And have you have you had this trigger yet?
Speaker 7: I've had I've got maybe five or six flights this year. Three of the flights have triggered I'd saved maybe three hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, myself and my wife and.
Speaker 7: And it's Effortless's the kind of thing you would normally be doing yourself and saying, damn I missed that. That's fair change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I most people don't check after they've booked it. They've gone through all the trouble of booking and researching. They don't even think about it afterwards. But that's what Flight prices do change all the time. Do you know how much they take? How much do they take? Oh, twenty percent commission?
Speaker 7: Which again it's it's free money is whatever it is. It's freer than what you just lost if you hadn't added on the change free.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the website thanks for that, John, appreciate it. Website is payback p AI B A c K dot app. This reminds me of another one that's called autopilot with autopilot dot com.
Speaker 2: Very similar principle.
Speaker 1: Again, this works best if you are a frequent flyer, but definitely something to check out. Let them track the flights and get you some money back. Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: To Rich on tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. A couple of items before we get to the calls. Peacock right now offering a year of streaming for just twenty five dollars. So this is ad supported, so you're gonna see some ads on the movies. But what I like about Peacock I usually pay for it once a year, usually during Black Friday. I think I paid twenty dollars. This is twenty five, so that's still pretty good. Regular price is eighty, and you get a whole bunch of movies like throughout the year. You definitely will get your money's worth because Peacock is owned by Universal, They've got all kinds of big movies on there. I mean you'll you'll literally just fire up Peacock and be like, oh, I didn't realize that came to streaming. So they get a lot of good stuff. So don't discount the Peacock anyway. Twenty five dollars right now, I don't know how long that's gonna last. So if you're interested in getting that, I would go to their website and do that deal, and then Max is going to go back to being called HBO Max yeah, what the heck.
Speaker 2: So when this thing launched, it was called HBO Max.
Speaker 1: Then Warner Brothers, I guess, merged with Discovery a couple of years ago, and they probably all went together and said, we need a new name for this. We got to reflect all the things that you can get inside this app, not just HBO Max. And they said, okay, fine, we'll just call it Max. Nobody liked that. Nobody ever said, oh, did you watch that on Max? Like literally everyone says HBO Max. And so now guess what. They're going back to HBO Max. Now, HBO Max does have a lot of brands. That's the thing about it is, I like, I understand their issue here. It's like I think they have like don't they have like Discovery shows on there too?
Speaker 2: Like they have so many, so.
Speaker 1: Many different brands on there. It's not just like HBO stuff. So I understand why. Yeah, they've got like all these like HGTV shows. I don't know they used to have all the brands listed. I guess they don't have it anymore, but they used to have like DC. Anyway, HBO it's going back to HBO Max, And it's interesting. A couple of weeks ago they announced that they were changing the colors from the blue that they had to like the classic HBO black and white, and now it's just becoming HBO Max again. Anyway, this this stuff is wild, with this streaming stuff. Nobody like these streaming services change names so often.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 1: You know, once you get a good name like peacock, you don't need to change that. Let's go to Leo in Torrance. Leo, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 11: Hey, Hi, Rich, how you doing good?
Speaker 2: Is this the Leo that emails me?
Speaker 11: Or no?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, different Leo. Lots of Leo's out there. What's up?
Speaker 11: Leo used to listen to Leo the Ford.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another Leo.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 11: My question is, well the setup. I bought the new iPhone sixteen E and then after buying it, found out and I went to the Apple Store. Well, I bought it through AT and T, but I've got to the Apple Store and I said, how come my AV adapter doesn't work with the sixteen E. And the store manager had to look it up and he didn't even know, but he found out that it said it's not compatible with the sixteen E. The little dongle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the adapter.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and said, well, what's up with that? That wasn't in the say, you know, the brochure, because you know I bought it the the week before that you could actually pick it up, so I preset you I bought it on the pre sale and and that information was not available when we bought them.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm looking at the website, all the specs. I don't see a word about that on here.
Speaker 2: This is nice to me.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I don't remember when we bought them the beginning of April or something like that. I've since called Apple and I've talked to Apple support and they said, yeah, it does not have a V and I, well, is it going to And the person I talked to you said, I don't know it's that. I figured it's probably a hardware function.
Speaker 2: I don't think they can add this via software.
Speaker 11: Well, so they said, your only recourse is to go to AT and T because that's who you bought it through. So for all the listeners out there, if you're thinking about the sixteen E and you actually use that AV capability, I don't think you're going to be getting it. So I'm I'm a little bummed about that. The second thing is is I or being an early adopter. I thought Apple's designing their their own modem chip. Well, what's going to be a good thing. Well, I haven't seen any improvement in cell phone uh in the Yeah, it's I don't think it's any better.
Speaker 1: Well, they're they're big thing with the uh what was the speeds were faster with their modem.
Speaker 2: And also the battery life.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed the battery life is pretty good though, Let's let's leave this on an on a positive note.
Speaker 11: Uh, battery life is is not worse than my second gen sEH, but I find it. I do have to charge it pretty much once once about every every day or every other day, I have to charge it. So it's it's not Latin. And I don't think I'm a big user. I don't think I'm on it that much. And there's a whole yeah you said, on a positive note, there's a whole lot of queer key things with the sixteen E. In the when you're text editing, it doesn't even seem to matter what app you're using, whether it's Gmail, Facebook, Messenger, the text editor is it just throws itself away sometimes.
Speaker 1: Leo, Leo, it's sounding like you don't like this phone very much.
Speaker 2: What I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Look, I think the main thing about the sixteen E to know is that, yes, I mean Apple, I'm not going to say they cut corners on this phone, but it is aimed at sort of the most baseline iPhone user that wanted. They basically wanted a phone where they could say, look, Apple intelligence is built into this phone. You're getting, you know a lot of the features and the latest processor, but if you look at the specs, there are a lot of little things that are not included, you know, like a zoom camera and all kinds of like you know, buttons that they just leave out because you know, the screen. It's just like a lot of things are not as good as the the top of the line phones, whether it's a sixteen or the pro version and the DisplayPort thing. The fact that they left that out, I think, you know, it's definitely something they should have probably said in somewhere like I can't find it anywhere on their support page whatsoever. And so that's something that, like you said, surprised you. Now, if you go to the the Digital AV multiport adapter, like the official one that Apple sells and I know there's third party. They don't even list the iPhone sixteen on there, which is interesting. But of course Apple, you know they want you. They don't want you to connect this thing with HDMI. They want you to connect it with airplay, and that's kind of like there, you know, that's probably I don't know that would be their answer, I guess anyway, So are you gonna are you gonna return this phone or what you're gonna keep it?
Speaker 11: Well, I don't know. I'd have to go to AT and T and find out if there's if there's you know, some kind of a deal we could work. But there's a there's a lot of users out here that use a av for not just airplay, to like a capable TV or something. I go camping and I use a small projector and I use my SE all the time to hook up to the projector to throw it up on a white sheet on the side of my tent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's frustrating. That is that is frustrating. I mean, look, it sounds like you need this feature and it's something that you really liked, and it sounds like it wasn't really clear that this phone didn't have this feature.
Speaker 2: This is the first TI I'm hearing of it. You know.
Speaker 1: The good news is, you know, talk to AT and T see what they say, see what the deal is, and see if they offer you some sort of olive branch here and trading in this device. I guess you'd have to go with the with the sixteen, which is a step up. Do you know if that supports it?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 11: Well, let me let me tell your users, tell you and the other listeners. I kept my old SE and when I'm at home, I can still connect with the SE to the internet, and I download my Netflix videos to my old SE which doesn't need self service to operate. Oh yeah, when I go when I go camping, I just use my old SSE as source.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not a bad I mean, look, that's not a bad thing. So, I mean, if that's if that's the worst case scenario where you're trying to go camping, you've got the Netflix downloaded, I don't think it sounds like a terrible thing. Obviously it'd be nice if it was all in one, But in some ways that's a better set up, Leo, because you've got all your stuff on the device that's sort of insulated and isolated from your main device, which means you could still be on it, take calls whatever, while this thing's playing the movie on the campsite. So I mean, it's not not totally bad, but it is interesting the things you raise. So thanks for the mini review of the iPhone sixteen E. You do appreciate it, Leo.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you, Rich. I love your show and I watch you on KTLA also.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you appreciate that. Enjoy, enjoy the rest of the weekend. Here there you have it. So if you need to plug in that HDMI to your your iPhone sixteen E, that HDMI out, you know, if you're connecting it, something doesn't sound like it's gonna work. So eighty eight rich one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I should mention our guest coming up here this hour Steve Fisher, futurist and co author of Super Shifts. He's going to talk about the future of humanity and what comes after the age of AI.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 1: We'll take some more of your calls right after this. Jake is in Brighton, Colorado. Jake, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Well, sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Thank you. I have a.
Speaker 12: Question about if he hasn't have any knowledge on how to get an old about a thirteen year old Facebook account deleted My wife and I at the time. We're now separated or been separated for a long time. We've used the account for maybe couple a couple of months, and since then we never figured out how to get access back to that account. Don't even remember what email we associated that account with. And I've been trying off and on for the past thirteen years to get this account to lead it using every option that Facebook authors and zero success.
Speaker 1: You've been trying this for thirteen years. Oh my god, Jake, but you get the award for persistence. Unfortunately it's not working. So let me get this straight.
Speaker 2: You've got is the okay?
Speaker 1: Is the account a joint account with your wife? Like, does she want this to lete it as well?
Speaker 6: Or your ex wife?
Speaker 12: I'm yeah, I'm the original I'm the one that originally created the account with her permission, of course, but I did the whole setup and all, and we had plans to just ultimately get rid of our personal account and then use the joint account. But the marriage is on the rocks. At that point, so we never even follow through with it, and since then it's just kind of a constant reminder that this page is there. But how do we even get.
Speaker 11: Rid of it?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh?
Speaker 1: Does it have like a picture of you guys, like back, you know, in love, like in a little circle or something on this page?
Speaker 2: Like how terrible is that?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 12: It has like my name and her name flash the name that we were.
Speaker 1: Married with, sap in the face every time you look at that, yeah, oh my gosh. Okay, And so are you like friends with people, like, like, can your friends still see this page?
Speaker 12: Yes? I mean a long time ago, some friends were like sharing images to that account and that's like the latest activity, which probably would have been two more years after that account was made. But we've I've tried the ask a friend to help prove the validity of the account, and none of that ever has works.
Speaker 2: M okay.
Speaker 1: So the main thing is that you cannot You don't remember how you what email address you used to create this account?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think the email address. Uh, it was like another joint email address we just created on the fly to make that account. Uh, and then don't have any record that information?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, if you can't log into the account, it's going to be really tricky to sort of delete this account, because I would say, if you, you know, if you were able to log in, you just go through the deletion process and get rid of it. But since you can't do that, it sounds like, I mean, I know this sounds silly, but it sounds like you may have to write a letter and get it started that way. I mean, have you tried going through like this the standard help pages on Facebook, and that I'm guessing leads nowhere.
Speaker 12: Yeah, because it wants me to I pin out the Facebook page that I want help with, but it keeps resorting to resetting the password to my individual Facebook page, so it keeps sending me.
Speaker 11: In a circle.
Speaker 2: Okay, well here's something.
Speaker 1: What about have you tried using like an incognito web browser or a different computer that's not logged into Facebook at all.
Speaker 12: I have not. That's an option I've never thought about.
Speaker 1: I would try that first off, because you know, if you're if it keeps so, what's happening is every time you try to do this, it's defaulting to your your Facebook account that you have now because you're probably logged in there or it sees that you know you're using that. So if you can do this from a separate device and say, you know, forgot my password, whatever, it should send an email to that original email. The problem is if that email address is not accessible or you're not getting that, then you're still not gonna be able to do much.
Speaker 2: But I would try that number one, and then you know, I.
Speaker 1: Would just go through these these Facebook dot Com slash help pages and there's like a couple of things you can look for, and there's like, you know, there's all there's like things where you can kind of go through and see, you know, they have all these options for old accounts and deleting accounts. So I would look through and see if any of those fit. Doesn't this seems like a very unique situation and so you may have to just fiddle around a little bit there. But if not, you know, you may just have to appeal to Facebook with a letter and see if that works. I don't know if they even accept that, but you know, there there may also be a legal like a legal section of Facebook's help account or help pages that you know, you can appeal that way. But here's what I would like you to do. Also, send me an email and I'm gonna I'm gonna see because I gotta I'm gonna reach out to Facebook and see what they say about this because it's a it's kind of an interesting situation. So send me an email feedback at richon tech dot tv, and I will ping Facebook and see what they say about this, because this, Jake, this is an interesting one. Now you got my curiosity here, so I'll see what I can do on that.
Speaker 4: And okay, yeah, thank you for that.
Speaker 12: Then the problem is trying to get in contact with Facebook almost anyone is they don't even have people you can actually reach out through directly. So that's what I've been battling with Facebook many years.
Speaker 1: There is one little hack that people have been using, and uh, it's called the meta Verified for Business And basically, you sign up, you pay like fifteen bucks a month to get access to a live human that can.
Speaker 2: Help you with your account.
Speaker 1: So you may maybe pay for a month of that and try to get you know, the chat support person or the phone number of the support person, and then be like, oh, by the way, I've got this other page I need to get rid of just to clean up my you know, online presence. See what asay. That's another thing that people have been doing doing that's called Facebook meta verified, So that's another route. But send me the email, let me look into it, and definitely try to log into the account from you know, a browser that you're not signed into your primary account on to see if it can trigger that recovery code without going to your main account. Thanks for the call, Jake, appreciate it, and I'm glad you can laugh about the the ex wife situation. Uh eighty eight rich one On one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we are going to talk about the future of humanity post AI. You are listening to rich on Tech. Joining me now is Steve Fisher, a futurist and co author of super Shifts, here to talk about the future of humanity and what comes after the Age of AI. Steve, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Thanks a lot, rich good to be here.
Speaker 1: So give me a sort of a quick primer on the book.
Speaker 2: What's it all about?
Speaker 13: Yeah, so there's a couple things. We are entering a new age, last age called the Age of Machines. I did a whole thing on ages and eras, which is a social theory around the last thousand years of macrohistory. So we're kind of repeating the next cycle. So the next two hundred years we call the age of Intelligence, and what does that mean? Think about it like this. It's a fusion of human, artificial, and networked intelligence. And it's not just about smarter machines, which is for the first time in history, we'll have.
Speaker 6: Things smarter than us.
Speaker 2: That's scary.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know. It's about a smarter civilization.
Speaker 13: It's where intelligence becomes decentralized, is amplified and embedded into the fabric of how we live, work and think.
Speaker 6: And I wanted to.
Speaker 13: Set the stage for there's nine super shifts that come across technology, generational structures, social theory. It's a whole, but think of it like this accelerated convergence. We know about trends, right, we know about the drivers of change. There's a larger set of shifts, and then there's multiple shifts that combine into this like very systemic type of change.
Speaker 6: What we've done in the book.
Speaker 13: Is we look at the societal impact of each of these, the organizational impact and the impact on yourself, and the end part we really look at actionable ways to take advantage of this. I can get into that, but I know we don't have a whole lot of time today. But it really gets into what we call spectrum futures, and this is about multiple simultaneous futures we live in. Things are collapse, things are transformation. And what we wanted to do with this book is we also wanted to give it some humanization. So there's a design fiction piece. The prologue introduces you to a family in twenty forty called the Sinclair's and they experienced this and you could almost look at this as what happens after the Singularity.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you know, yeah, explain with singularity is for someone who may not know.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the Singularity predates you might have heard it from like Ray kurzwell, but before that, and I'm trying remember the gentleman's name. It really kind of came up with it. It's an acceleration of technology and every and a lot of other factors that create this single point where there's a transformational uh like even more than then a shift. It is a radical like radical change in all of what humanity can fit and really can expect to be.
Speaker 6: Taken advantage of and you know, I can't even do it justice.
Speaker 13: It's like if you look about beyond superintelligence, if you think about when you think about the changes in how we interact with the world today, everything will change, you know, every the It's that, yes, is it kind of star trek in that way and that age of abundance in a way, but it allows us to really go beyond ourselves as humans.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a point of no return as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, a bit of a bit of a point of no return. The design fiction piece. What it strives to do is that the family moves through weeks of the change and the shift that's happening in the world.
Speaker 6: You experience it through their eyes.
Speaker 13: So each shift you have kind of the beginning of the chapter goes into that, and the epilogue actually goes two hundred years in the future and we actually talk about the next that next age, which is that age of transcendence because people will be alive and kids now could be one hundred and fifty years old, they can live to see the entire thing.
Speaker 6: I think that's wow, that's radicals.
Speaker 13: It sounds radical, but in the same way, and you think about one hundred years ago, most people live forty or fifty and now we live eighty ninety healthfully, right, So yeah.
Speaker 2: That's quite the thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well okay, I mean AI obviously a buzzword today. I mean people are you know, people are already using it in their daily lives, chat, GBT, all these different things. How do you think that's influencing the decisions we're making without even us realizing it.
Speaker 6: I think it's a question of critical thinking.
Speaker 13: I think we're My concern is that it's taking away the challenge of thought, the challenge of new thought, because there's an existing body of language, and if you look at it as a tool to help you clear away.
Speaker 6: Maybe some of the more mundane things to do the more challenging things.
Speaker 13: I think if that perspective is kept in a way to really push the boundaries of whatever profession you're in, the things that you're contemplating. The whole thing is that technology should, and even any type of not beyond technology, but any kind of change should allow you to have more space for harder things. And that's how we've you know, move forward as a as a as a as the human race.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: I think right now, the challenge right now is that we are kind of co evolving with these technologies. You know, AIS needs to become a partner, not just a tool. I think people see it as a tool, but I think there's a lot more to it as it gets smarter. If you look at six months, it's like a lifetime, right It's yeah. I mean, and you look at a year or two.
Speaker 6: It's generational. I mean, it's where it will be.
Speaker 13: My son is eight years old and he'll be the high school class of twenty thirty five.
Speaker 6: What will college look like then?
Speaker 13: Right In the book, we wrote a letter to the eight children of the Age of Intelligence.
Speaker 6: We wrote a book to this.
Speaker 13: This two page letter kind of is the wonder of what is ahead for them and the hope that we have.
Speaker 6: It's a very pro topian book, not a the dystopian.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 6: I you know, one of the things that I've.
Speaker 13: Worked on is, you know, in AI ethics is kind of creating like laws of AI, like laws of robotics in terms of how humanity can coexist in that way because we have to protect us as a human race. We can't have supercomputing think that we're the problem, because then that's that conjures up all the all the the movies of the last thirty forty years.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess, I guess that's a good question people have. You know, when these things get so smart, and I've said on this show many times that there will be a point when this AI is built into sort of a robotic form, human form, where now it's moving, it's making decisions, it's it's making physical actions. Right like, right now you just type into it, stops typing, You're done. But when this thing can actually move and do things, you know, is is that a concern? Should we be concerned about that?
Speaker 13: I mean, I think as long as there needs to be a set of ethical laws built into the systems, and you have to make it so that they can't just remove it themselves and override themselves, because then then that kind of free range takes away any kind of wisdom that we might have, you know, as the AI grows so much, the wisdom we have, you know, because intelligence without ethics is it's a faster way to crash the system.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: You know, we're not just asking this is in mortal words of Jeff Goldbloom. You know, it's because we can do it. Should we do it right? And how do we design for impact right? How do we just use that? So writing super shifts and as a futurist, you know, I help people think about the let you know, these rates of change, and what's really interesting is that AI right now is changing that length. You know, some industries take five, ten, twenty years to change, some some shorter. But people kind of watch the future happen and we have the perspective of history, right, you know. And I think when you were living in it so fast, we feel the change. I think that's what's different right now is we're feeling in a visceral way and it's going to be very scary. So I think for us is instead of being spectator, we have to be designers of that future. We have to take the we have to take the active participation. I think that's the bill. That's the opportunity for us.
Speaker 2: Okay, along that note, we've got about a minute left. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For people feeling overwhelmed by all this, I mean all this stuff we've just been talking about, all these changes.
Speaker 2: What's your advice to start adapting right now?
Speaker 13: I would say, don't fear it, engage it, start asking better questions.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 13: I mean think if you start small with things, you can do things on a smaller scale and then engage other.
Speaker 6: People to participate.
Speaker 13: And it's not just about the elites in tech or other industries. It's about thinking about co creation. I think it's there's an opportunity to co create with other people, to be inclusive in it, regenitive. I think there's a real we have an opportunity for I think the first time in history, to really change how we.
Speaker 6: Interact with the world.
Speaker 13: I think it's a real oper I think it's a real opportunity and I want to leave people with that optimism.
Speaker 6: And you know, check the book. I think you'll.
Speaker 13: I think you'd be encouraged by what potential is in front of us and what you can do, and.
Speaker 6: There's actuable ways you can take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Steve Fisher, futurist and co author of the book is Super Shifts again Super Shifts. It's available now. Check it out. Thanks so much for joining me, Steve, Thanks a lot. Rich, great great conversation, interesting stuff. Oh okay, let's go to break Rich on tech dot tv is the website we want to link to the book, and coming up we are going to open up the feedbag. These are the emails, the questions, the comments you sent me all week long.
Speaker 2: We'll get to those right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Now, time for one of your favorite segments. We got a lot to get to, so I'm just gonna start right with it. This is the feedbag segment. Yes, it's called the feedbag. That's feedback plus the mail bag. Put them together, you get the feedbag. So if you go to the website to send me an email and it says feedback at richon Tech dot tv, yes that is the right email. People might think it's wrong, but no, that is correct. Coined it many shows ago and it just kind of stuck. So if you want to follow me on social media, it's at rich on Tech. The website to send in your message is rich on Tech dot TV. Mike writes in, as always, I enjoy the radio show, but I felt like your interview with Tim O'Hearn, author of Framed, a Villain's Perspective on Social Media, missed an opportunity. He was obviously there to promote his book, but I wish you would ask why is his conscience back, Where was his conscience back when he was doing all the things he now criticizes, And why the sudden change of heart would have added a little bit more credibility if that had been explored just saying Mike, I get you, Mike, I hear you.
Speaker 6: You know, don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Always get it right, and so I will. I will do better next time. Don writes in I've been dealing with phone and cable companies for decades. When we moved into our current home thirty years ago, I switched to Direct TV and never looked back. Yes, it's pricey, but I need the channels. I held onto my landline from nineteen sixty eight and eventually added Internet through AT and T. Turns out they only offer twelve down and four up in our area, no fib or, no upgrades, and repairs were a nightmare. Texts needed to access polls in our yard and our neighbors, which is a scheduling hassle. Then I saw a Spectrum truck on our street. They offered landline and internet, so I switched. It's been ninety nine percent reliable ever since. Now use Spectrum for landline, internet and streaming direct TV for TV, consumer cellular for cell phones, plus satellite radio, Netflix and other services. I also pay for Equifax protection and software for our church. Total monthly cost, let's just say, I try not to look appreciate all you do, blessings do in your family. Thank you, don That was yes. Do not look at the amount you pay on subscriptions when you add them up. I one time put all my things to AT and T. I had direct TV AT and T, phone line, AT and T Internet. I got my first bill it was like over four hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Said, why is this?
Speaker 1: It's the same amount I'd been paying, but it was all chopped up when I put them together.
Speaker 2: I said, nah, I got to cancel that. I can't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Don't bundle teen teen rights in just a heads up. Verizon's new Unlimited Ultimate plan worked great for us on a recent trip to South Korea. No issues with phone, text or data, and the hotspot worked perfectly for my iPad. I love the show and I still tune in even when I'm out of the country. Yeah, that Unlimited Ultimate is expensive, but it does include pretty much every perk you can think of, including that international roaming PAM rights in. When you rave about a program or app, please repeat the name a few times and maybe even spell it. I was half listening while driving and missed the name of the voice to text app you mentioned. It sounded like talk to flow, but I couldn't find it online. What is it, PAM. The app is called whisper wispr. You can check it out at whisperflow dot ai. And you know what I do. Try to repeat names clearly on air, but I have to strike that balance between being helpful and not sounding like a complete commercial.
Speaker 2: If I just said, like.
Speaker 1: Whisper ai, whisperflow dot ai, go to whisperflow dot ai, you would think that's a commercial.
Speaker 2: So gotta be careful with that.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the email, Bob, and Sacramento says, I heard your segment on staying connected while camping Just to heads up.
Speaker 2: Satellite internet gear can use a lot of power.
Speaker 1: If you're in an RV or car, no problem, but if you're hiking it with a battery, that's something consider. Also for folks traveling overseas, is Verizon sponsoring this what's happening here? Especially for Verizon customers. You can switch to their Unlimited Ultimate Plan for a month and then switch back. It includes international service in over two on our countries, but don't do it if you're on a grandfather plan.
Speaker 2: One more tip.
Speaker 1: My son often travels to South America and says everyone there, including businesses, uses WhatsApp, so keep data usage in mind when planning your trip.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bob and Sacramento. Good things to remember. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Russ writes in, I picked up an iPhone se from track Phone for one hundred and eighty four bucks. Just needed something that works well with my Apple gear. The bonus at home I can answer calls on my iPad, iPod Touch or even my computer super convenient. Yes, the Apple ecosystem is excellent at that. And when I've got everything all fired up, when I get a phone call about twenty five things ring in my house, I'm like, where do I answer this?
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Mike from California rites in, I didn't hear you mentioned a couple of things Apple and Google offer for smaller developers.
Speaker 2: Both platforms reduce their.
Speaker 1: Commissions to fifteen percent for businesses making under a million dollars a year. Definitely worth noting if you're just starting out. Also, when it comes to tracking in app subscriptions. There's no easy way through their platform. The most reliable method is setting up back end services to receive updates directly from Apple or Google. A lot of small devs skip this. It leads to confusion about renewals and cancellations. Mike, good information. Obviously, you know this show is geared towards the average tech consumer, but there are a certain element of folks that are in the development community and you know it community that do listen. So I always joke that they're listening to enjoy the show, but also see how I do with my answers as well. Matt from I told you we had a lot this week. Matt from Queen Creek, Arizona writes in I always look forward to hearing your podcast each week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for a great show.
Speaker 1: Last week you had a caller looking for over the year headphone headphones with bass base bass. Isn't it basse pass base bass is fish? Yes, That's why I used to catch when I was growing up Lake George. I want to recommend Soundcore, a brand that hasn't been mentioned on your show before. They offer an app to control the base, treble and more. The Q twenty has great base base base Base, It's bluetooth and cost less than fifty dollars on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Yes, Matt, we have mentioned that brand.
Speaker 1: Our expert we had on a couple of years a couple of months ago mentioned Soundcore always a good value made by anchor. Actually, Jase from Sydney, Australia rights in, I was listening to the podcast of your show from May tenth, and I really connected with your opening about disconnecting from social media and the Internet. I just flew fourteen hours from Melbourne to Los Angeles with no Wi Fi and passed the time listening to podcasts, including yours, and I watched videos I downloaded. It was actually refreshing to be offline and enjoy entertainment. I chose I'm flying back next Thursday and plan to do the same. Yes, I'm from Sydney, but flew out of Melbourne because my original flight was canceled. Thank you, Jase. I posted a bit of that on my Instagram at richon Tech. Chris from Troy, Michigan writes in, we frequently listened to the show from the Detroit area on the iHeart app. I really appreciate the tech tips and thoughtful analysis you bring each week. That said, I wanted to respond to your recent comment about tuning out the constant stream of bad news. While I get the intention encouraging people to focus on what's right in front of them, I think it's important to acknowledge our responsibility as citizens to be aware of and take action against injustice when we see it. Sometimes stepping back from the noise is necessary, but we shouldn't let that become a reason to ignore the world beyond our circle.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the show and hearing me out, Chris.
Speaker 1: Yes, I said in my opening monologue that tune things out when they become too much, don't tune them out forever, obviously, and Daniel writes in your sermon at the top of last week's show was terrific enough with the devices already.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that, Daniel.
Speaker 1: You can watch the whole thing on my Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash rich on Tech, or just check out last week's episode on the podcast That's going to do It For this episode links on the website rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: Find me at rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Next week, I'm talking to my ex boss at KTLA.
Speaker 2: He left and now he's trying something new.
Speaker 1: He's going to reinvent himself as a creator, and he's going to talk about all the off the shelf technology, including AI, newsletters and more, that he's using to start up his new venture. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks everyone who makes this show possible. Adam, thanks for filling in today.
Speaker 5: Kim.
Speaker 2: On the phones, my name is rich Demiro. I will talk to you real soon.