Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. We did it. We made it.
Speaker 2: Everybody's here, ready to go, the Great City of New Orleans, Dan and the Danets, Dan Patrick Show, the Minister of Humor in rare Form. Last night at dinner, Fritzie, we got Marv here, we got Seaton, Pauli, yours truly and the BRGS great guests list all week long. Glad to have you on board, as we do every Monday, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. In this first hour brought to you by ti rac dot com, the official tire expert of the DP Show. Go to tyrac dot com slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Yokohama Tires, special offers, free roadh hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tyrac dot com. The Way tire Buying should be eight seven seven three. DP Show operator Tyler's sitting by to take your phone calls, we'll play fill in the blank, We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend, all of that forthcoming. But when was the last time you were truly shocked? Sports shocked? This is one of those. It was midnight Eastern and getting messages on my phone that was like, OMG, question mark exclamation point? What the f question mark exclamation point? And I don't know what's happened. So all of a sudden, you go, I gotta contact somebody. So I sent a message to my wife. I said, is everything okay? And she said, yeah, did you hear about the Luka Doncik? Is that how you pronounce his name? I go, you know it before I know it? And she said, yes, everybody on the internet is talking about this. Is that how you pronounce his name? I said, yes, it is Luka Doncik traded to the Lakers. And you start to think about all the insiders. People get paid millions and millions of dollars to be the insider. Give us a heads up there, and then all of a sudden, nobody was an insider. Nobody had any information on this. Even the players involved in the deal had no idea that this was going on. Now I understand the mab side of this with Luca that you're not going to tell him if you're getting ready to part ways with him, you're not going to say anything to him. The Lakers with Lebron, Lebron friends with Ad, brought Ad in from New Orleans. They want a title together. They're buds. Then there was a report there at odds with one another. Maybe Lebron doesn't like that Ad is not always available. Ad last year played in seventy six games. Now he was injured or is injured on abdominal strain or something. But the fact that you get a guy who does have good numbers when he's played, but you're going to get Luka Dancik in his prime. And that's where you go. Why first question? And I still say that why Brian winhors to the Mothership? Will Joe is coming up top of next hour. But the Mavericks went to the NBA Finals last year. It's not like they flamed out in the first round. It's not where you go, man. They got to make some big decisions here, They got to make some changes here. They went to the NBA Finals last year, and you get rid of Luca, who's twenty five and you get Anthony Davis in return because you say defense wins championships. And then you were talking about your culture, the MAVs culture, that these players they got fit in better than Luca, And it goes back to why what do the MAVs know that we don't know yet? And was it just Luca was not in shape? You don't want to give him a max deal where he's going to be making over seventy million dollars a year, but you know it's one of those one you're watch him play and you go, gosh, if he ever gets in shape, you know he'll average forty a game. I mean, he's still good to averaging thirty a game, and you know, you look at his weight.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, just like Zion Williamson that that has become a big issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Zion is moved at some point in his career. But here's Luca, arguably one of the top five players, certainly one of the top ten players, and you get him at twenty five Anthony Davis. You're not going to build around him. And it's weird that it feels like Sacramento got more for Daron Fox than the Mavericks got for you know, the trade with Luka Doncik Darren Fox going to San Antonio, which I think is great, love it thought it was wonderful, But as far as the Lakers, it was one of those where and you start to look at sports surprises. You know, when Kobe passed away, we didn't want to believe it. It's like no, no, you know it's a tragedy and you're like, no, that that couldn't possibly have happened, and then all of a sudden you realize that it did happen. I was doing Sports Center when Magic announced that he had HIV and then he was going to have to retire.
Speaker 1: Like that is sports shocked this a.
Speaker 2: And if you're looking at things that probably would shock you, I'll go back to when lu Al Sindor was traded from the Bucks to the Lakers, and I remember, guys, you just traded the best player in the game, and you got Junior Bridgeman and you got Dave Myers and I think Elmore Smith was in. You know, it wasn't a great list of players, even when Wilt Chamberlain was traded. You know, you don't get as much as you think and return Oscar Robertson traded to the Bucks.
Speaker 1: You got, uh, two marginal players out of that. But I would have thought draft picks.
Speaker 2: I would have thought you could have gotten a whole lot more from a lot of other people.
Speaker 1: And it's like you didn't let everybody know.
Speaker 2: It's almost like you're single and then all of a sudden, you're gonna marry the first guy that you meet, like I got I gotta get spread this. Maybe there's other options out there. That was what was surprising. And they kept it quiet, which I thought was fascinated in today's world where everybody in Hollywood, somebody's telling somebody something. But they kept it quiet.
Speaker 1: And now you have.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Bavericks with Anthony Davis. As they move forward, and I hope they play great defense. Somebody better tell Kyrie Irving he's got to play defense because defense wins championships. But Luca, look, I don't like Luca going to the Lakers because you got two ball dominant guys. You know, Lebron wants to have the ball and so does Luca. Okay, don't like it. I mean I love it from the standpoint of you got to watch it, but I don't know if it's one of those where you go, all right, I see what they're doing. Now, this is long term. This is a long play. You know, he's twenty five. But as far as Lebron is Lebron going to stay longer?
Speaker 1: Now? Does he want to get traded?
Speaker 2: And I think those are questions that we'll ask, you know, Wendy when he joins this next hour. Yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 3: Lebron's won championship with ball dominant guys before, like Dwayne Wade and Kyrie Irving.
Speaker 4: So if it worked there, it might work here.
Speaker 1: Just one last shot man.
Speaker 3: So Lebron was good at playing a lot of your turn, My Turn with d Wade and Kyrie, So maybe this might be the plan for the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Luca's gonna want the ball now, Luca's gonna want to be out on, you know, for vengeance.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna show everybody, you know, you see that's what happens, you get traded.
Speaker 1: Like he was shocked.
Speaker 2: He was like, wall, I didn't know anything about this. Jason Kidd didn't know, nobody knew anything about this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, yeah, it does seem like Lebron is a guy who doesn't mind not having it all on his shoulders, right, and so he wants the ball, maybe wants it a little less these days. I'm like, ah, man, this is your Like Marvin said, now this is your turn, and then I'll I'll get the next one.
Speaker 2: And I worry about Bronni too, just to make sure that he's going to get his touches as well as most people are.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, I have this policy for the past twenty or thirty years. If the Lakers are calling me or talking to me about a trade, don't do it. Pow Gasol Kobe Bryant when they during the draft, Uh Shaquille O'Neill. In his prime, Leuel Cindar looking Leuis sinder was twenty six, he had won two of the previous three MVPs and Milwaukee goes, let's get rid of this guy. It's hard to make sense of that at the time, and this one's just as bad.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Luel Sindor wanted out of Milwaukee, wanted to go to Los Angeles. He had played his college ball out there, and I think that he wanted out of that situation. But you know, the difference is with the Lakers. Usually Jerry West was on the other end. If Jerry West calls, then you don't you don't pick up because you know, somehow, someway this isn't going to work out. But Rob Polinka made the move, pulled the trigger on this, and I good, you know, credit to the Lakers. I didn't think they were going anywhere with Anthony Davis. But at least you've I don't know, revitalized your fan base and maybe you now to look at the future and maybe you go, Okay, we have somebody we can build on who's not forty years of age.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 7: And all of the attention is going to the Lakers and the MAVs obviously, But then when you look at the other side of some of these trades, it's like, what are the bulls doing?
Speaker 1: Well, what have the Bulls been doing for the last twenty years.
Speaker 7: They're like a team that's being stripped down for parts because like some gigantic company bought them and all like a just sell off all the good stuff and then well it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like when animals cross a river and you know, some make it and something like the bulls crossing the river and then it's like, oh, we lost one, we lost another one, and they finally traded zach Lavine. He's probably been rumored to have been traded one hundred times, it feels like in the last couple of years. So he goes to Sacramento and of course you reunite him with Tomorro Rosen and that's going to be magic there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin zach Lavine is Bradley beal light Wow, a lot of points, but it doesn't lead to wins, so.
Speaker 1: That's not a compliment.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, okay, yeah, both players, but no, yeah, all right, I've been wanting to ask you this for about a day and a half. If you're the Lakers, I'd like to know how much time after the initial call to the trade was made, and how much due diligence did you get, because whenever someone offers you something too good to be true, I got to know why this house is six hundred thousand should be a million.
Speaker 9: Oh it's got mold. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 8: The Lakers are getting something that the Mavericks really didn't want.
Speaker 9: Why how do you ask that? How do you find out why they don't want Luke anymore?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that's what we're waiting for.
Speaker 2: I think everybody was like, and this is one of those where NBA players in games they're passing the phone around on the bench because nobody believes it's real.
Speaker 1: It's like, you got to be kidding me. Wait, you see this, you see this? You see this, you see this?
Speaker 7: Yes, s'd And they can't even be like, well, you know what. The chance to get Anthony Davis is just too good to pass up. And they're like, what do you want him for?
Speaker 10: Yes, Todd, is there standard physically after all trades or they have to do that before they becomes efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and both players are injured. I didn't think you could trade injured players. If David Stern was still the commissioner, I would love to have heard his reaction, but he have vetoed this like you did, Chris Paul to the Lakers.
Speaker 7: I see, oh, okay, you guys just want to move stars wherever.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then it goes back to you know, loyalty, franchise, loyalty. Luca didn't want to leave. You know, we always talk about the players in the NBA. Oh, they're holding up these franchises. You know, they're the ones that are dictating what goes on.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: By all accounts, neither of these players knew what was going on. Yes, Marv, and I think.
Speaker 3: We all have to let the public know Mark Cuban is not the majority owner of the Dallas Mavericks anymore, because I got about three text messages.
Speaker 4: What is Mark Cuban doing? He's just sitting there. He didn't do this.
Speaker 1: I know Fritzy.
Speaker 2: We were at dinner last night and I said to Fritzy, reach out to Cuban. So he said, uh, he can't.
Speaker 6: I can't.
Speaker 2: I thought, that's sorry, and I said, wait a minute, why can't he He didn't make the move, but he still owns like twenty seven percent of the mavericke He's very busy.
Speaker 4: Shark Tang has got a lot of stuff dealing.
Speaker 2: But this is where Paula goes, Yeah, telling we can tape it right now. We'll go like, we'll tape it whatever time you want.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love Paul's like, guess is out of the country. You can't do it. They don't. I zoomed it off the phones out of the country.
Speaker 8: Yeah, paul, I wonder if Mark Cuban's I can't was I can't like he loved Luca and he made his declarations years ago and always loved him.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's one of those guys where you paired him with Kyrie Irving, they go to the NBA Finals, you would think, Okay, I mean it's not a great team, but still you went to the NBA Finals last year and then you decide to part ways.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 2: Maybe they just looked at this and said, he's where he is now at twenty five, how much better is he going to get? How much does he care? And then they talk. You know, all these teams, en franchises have culture. You know, it's it's Patriots culture, and it's heat culture, and it's I don't even know what that means. All I know is Anthony Davis already has it and he hasn't even put on the uniform yet, which is pretty amazing. You buy it in the gift shop when you you know, land in Dallas Fort Worth, Yeah, Seeton.
Speaker 7: There's a quote from Mark Cuban all over the internet now that as far as I can could tell, is real. But Mark Cuban said, if I had to choose between my wife and keeping Luca on the MAVs catch me at my lawyer's office prepping for a divorce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 9: You know, she could probably use that in future negotiations. I'm a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have been funny if the Lakers get Luca Mark Cuban's wife. Oh, they get Maxie Kleeber and Marketing Morris, the first wife you know, traded and.
Speaker 1: The deal makes sense.
Speaker 8: Yeah to mar and I were joking at the end of the day when they introduced you know, they always introduced the new player they trade for, and they hold up the jersey that he's gonna wear. When Luca gets introduced in LA, when they introduced Anthony Davis and Dallas, do they hold up a sweater and pants?
Speaker 9: Wow, sang Street clothes not really fair. He's playing a lot lately. I retract that statement.
Speaker 6: Retracted.
Speaker 1: Damn, yeah, much too soon.
Speaker 9: Street. He's playing well, we returned he is.
Speaker 1: He is, of course, coming back from another injury.
Speaker 3: Yes, marsh I saw Luca get off the plane miraculously. He's twenty five pounds down now. He looks great, shreadfast. Oh, he looked great. He looked like James Harden when he got traded. Because James Harden was over here looking like Professor Klamb at one point.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when your significant other that decides to divorce you and then you get you back to your playing weight, like you all of a sudden go all right, I'm out there on the mark.
Speaker 8: But in thirty six hours and he gets him spanks, he's going to Ozempicville.
Speaker 1: Oh, going to Hollywood.
Speaker 9: Part of his contract.
Speaker 2: Yes, they may have hooked him up on the plane where he's Can I get an iva of that ozempic here down twenty five? By the way, six ers weren't the Celtics down by twenty seven last night and came back. We were in a bar or restaurant. Every TV. There had to be fifteen TVs and that was the only thing on the Celtics and the seventy six ers every single TV.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't that bizarre.
Speaker 10: I know it's not a sports bar, but there were like eighteen to twenty tev's.
Speaker 4: Everyone had the Celtic sixer game on its New Orleans.
Speaker 10: It's not like we were in the outskirts of Philly or bostsk.
Speaker 1: All I know is you were on fire last night.
Speaker 4: I was a hyper I don't know why exactly there was a rest.
Speaker 9: There's a point in dinner where I wish I was on fire.
Speaker 2: Last night I made Todd drink a beer just to see if it would, you know, slow him down, shut him up.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 2: I drank like half of that both. Oh I know, Oh, I know. Poll question seton. We gotten an obvious one for the first hour.
Speaker 7: Well, we have some that are trade related. We have one off of stapped dinners that Todd Suld submitted.
Speaker 1: You know what, we'll wait too.
Speaker 2: After the break, we'll go over our poll questions for the first hour, best and worst of the weekend. Operator Tyler sitting by, he'll take your phone calls. Had a interesting situation last night as I looked out of my window, my bedroom window at the hotel, and saw five guys in their underwear in the swimming pool, and I said, that guy looks like one of my employees. In fact, they're all my employees in the pool in their underwear, led by Dylan, of course.
Speaker 1: So we'll take a break.
Speaker 9: I think that was referred to this morning as dude soup.
Speaker 6: I leave.
Speaker 9: Someone referred to that incident as dude soup that a suit for me.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rossll Tucker, our good buddy, will stop by. Brian Windhors will join us. Top of next hour, Big Mike Golick and Mike Junior will stop by. Chris Simms. Got a busy day here this Monday, beautiful day here in New Orleans. We'll come back here on The Dan Patrick Show right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 12: Hey, We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 13: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber list lame in me.
Speaker 12: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it. Because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 13: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised. Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time. There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Coavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Rumor has it there will be a pickleball match front row back row at some point this week. We're at the Exchange, which is a beautiful facility here in New Orleans, and I think it's Paulie and Marvin versus Seaton and Fritzy pickleball. I don't know what the stakes are. I just know that their rumor has it. There's going to be a pickleball matchup at some point this week.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, I think speaking for all of us, we know very little about the rules and regulations of pickleball.
Speaker 1: I've only played it once. I want to know.
Speaker 2: I'm an expert, but I'm only here for guidance with you guys, and I reached out to Miller Lyte. We have some great accessories for you guys to play pickleball.
Speaker 1: You will look like you know what you're doing. That's my goal, guaranteed. Yes time.
Speaker 4: What about the terminology. You said something the other day about the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to learn some.
Speaker 2: You're gonna learn it. You're going to learn some. You know, you got to serve underhand. You know, can't be in the kitchen, and you know it's something you're gonna need to know.
Speaker 1: You can't high paddle.
Speaker 9: That would that be called high paddling.
Speaker 1: Well, you can do that after the serve happened. Oh okay, okay, got it. I just want to Yes, Marvin, the ball is served.
Speaker 6: Got it.
Speaker 2: By the way, we have great gift bags here, well, we have great partners. Our studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items, some Sonos, Tragger, Panini, King, Sawaiian and rapid Radios. We'll talk to Ross Tucker here in a moment. Poll questions Todd or uh Seaton. Who's doing the honors?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a couple.
Speaker 7: We'll start with a I think kind of an easy one. Which team got most better this weekend? Lakers, MAVs are Spurs? Oh okay, I like that, all right? The to double D He's sent in two. Okay, The Luka Doncic Anthony Davis trade benefits the Lakers, the MAVs both teams neither. But then he sent in the one that was a little more controversial. Staff dinners are dot dot dot generally a fun time, okay, depending on where you're seated or mandatory.
Speaker 1: How would you answer your poll question?
Speaker 6: Tom?
Speaker 4: I would say generally a fun time.
Speaker 10: But I've worked on other shows and been with other staffs where every one of those three I could have picked at different points in my career.
Speaker 4: Yesterday was a fun time.
Speaker 10: But I've been in situations where I guess I got to go to this thing, Everyone's gonna show up, and it's gonna look like I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to hang out with these people.
Speaker 10: There's been other times where I'm like, this is cool, but I really wanted to sit next to that guy and he's at the other end of the table, and now they stuck me here, and that's not great.
Speaker 9: I know how that feels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was right.
Speaker 2: Across from Paulie. Paulie was next to you, and I go of all the places, you know, the two siblings, like if you and your brother and you don't like each other, don't get along, and but you always sit next.
Speaker 1: To each other. You were there and you were shot out of a camp.
Speaker 6: I thought it.
Speaker 10: Went very well, except that I was a little too much of a chatterbox, and that was a kind of irritating.
Speaker 2: You kept saying, oh, what goes on upstairs? You can go upstairs. Nobody's telling us, wait and go upstairs. Hey, what if I get in that elevator? Where where's that tap?
Speaker 1: I was sitting.
Speaker 4: We were sitting right on top of this big like silver elevator. I was just very curious. And then there was some kind of staircase and there was interesting lights.
Speaker 10: I didn't know if it used to be like some kind of brothel or something like that, of different colors and things were gone in it.
Speaker 6: Why are we gonna go get just?
Speaker 4: It was it was just I don't know. I had a vibe to it.
Speaker 1: And then there was a birthday. Yeah, there was presentation.
Speaker 2: We had some video of that where Marvin, I think, did you tell somebody it was your birthday and it wasn't your birthday?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: A couple of brgs, Oh, they said it was somebody else's another brg's birthday.
Speaker 2: And there was some dancing going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So one of the brg's goes, Marvet, I've never seen you turn your head faster in my life.
Speaker 1: That woman was right behind you. She sure was.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were a couple of women right behind you. There were Yeah, birthday. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 6: That's our birthday.
Speaker 3: Shout out next time when somebody says, oh, my wife Phyllis, she loves the show, it's her birthday.
Speaker 4: That's the song from now on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Marvin goes, hey, do you think we could go back there today? And I say it's my birthday again. I said, sure, you can do that all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle the TP Show. We'll get to your best and worst of the weekend coming up, let's settle on the poll question, which one do you want to go with? First hour seat? Before we bring into Ross Tuck.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're actually gonna put up two of them.
Speaker 7: We're gonna put up Steph Dinners and we're gonna put up which team got most better this weekend?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Our next guest, you know him from his great football calls on CBS in Westwood One he played in the NFL, says he could have gotten into Princeton on his grades alone. Nobody's buying that. His head is bigger than some compact cars. You know him, you love him.
Speaker 1: He there's Ross Tucker.
Speaker 2: Let's go and have him, all right, No, No, closer to me, closer to me.
Speaker 1: Look at Ross Tunkers.
Speaker 6: Zero percent chance I would have gotten into printing without football.
Speaker 14: Zero.
Speaker 6: The Valley Toori in my high school my year did not get in the same year I got in. It was a little bit dicey.
Speaker 1: And they wanted to get into Princeton.
Speaker 6: Yeah. All I ever want to do is play football for Penn State.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: All they ever wanted to do was go to Princeville Harvard. And thankfully, by senior year he was a little bit more relaxed that I could joke, and I said, listen, Richard, while you were falling around studying, I was looking at wait trying to get into the best colleges.
Speaker 4: He went to.
Speaker 6: Columbia or Penn. He's a doctor. I'm sure he's doing great. Yeah, but but yeah, I guess you know, they only take so many people from EAT school, so I guess I kind of took a spot.
Speaker 2: Can you remember a sports shock in the NFL that's anywhere near what we got with the NBA.
Speaker 6: I remember being very I'm not saying it's near where the NBA is, but I remember Easter Sunday one year, the Eagles traded Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, and that was like wow, right, I mean, you know in division and Donovan had been the face of the Eagles franchise for a decade. That was one where I think, you know, I used to be working for a serious ExM. I think we had an emergency show and I think they called me like, can you do a show tonight Easter Sunday night to discuss that. I thought it was pretty crazy when the Patriots traded Bledsoe to the Bills. Although you kind of knew that was coming, not to this extent, not not like I will say this, I don't know that much about the NBA or that many guys, but the NBA. In the NBA, if you're not sure what's happening, when in doubt, the guy probably wanted out. I mean like, that's it seemed like all these guys, that's all they talk about in Philly now is Embid and you know, Jimmy Butler. It just seems like if you're not sure why a team was moving on from a guy, that guy probably wanted to anything about Luca. Maybe he loved Dallas. But that's just that's my two cents about the NBA.
Speaker 2: I thought about Andrew luck that that was oh yes, because it felt like that he finally got the Colts offensive line figured out that he was getting healthier, he was in his prime, and then all of a sudden, Chefty drops the bomb that he's retiring. And that was during preseason when he was at the game on the sidelines, and then the fans started booing him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that really hurt my heart. I didn't like how any of that went down. You're right, because what guy retires in the middle or at least it comes out in the middle of like the second preseason game. That's just not a thing for a starting quarterback to retire middle of the second or third preseason game. You're right, And then they were booing him, and then he had that awkward press conference and you know that's not how he wanted it to go. I always think about situations like that, Dan, I know you're similar. Who did that? Like who told Schefty and Chef? You know, Scheffy did his job, but who somebody my guess, and the culture organization was not happy and they put it out there and kind of put Andrew in a bad spot.
Speaker 2: Yes, Chefty tried to do a NFL camp on Luka Doncik and Anthony Davis, and I think he said Joe Burrow for Lamar Jackson, right, And that's not good. That's why I've heard it's not even close. It would be where you have somebody who is twenty five and then a quarterback who's thirty two, a quarterback who's twenty five and awesome, and then if you said Joe Burrow Dak Prescott, that to me would be the comp Dak Prescott injured a lot has had some success hasn't won anything. Joe Burrow is twenty five and still in his prime. So I would say that is that would be the modern day NFL comp for me.
Speaker 6: So and again I don't follow the MBDA that closely, Dan, but everybody's saying, how could the MAVs do this? How could the MAVs do this? Whoever's running their organization, they're not that thomb right, Like, there's got to be some reasoning, some logic. Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't. I saw where he's eligible for the super Max in a year or two. Maybe he told him I don't want to be there, like, I'm not gonna sign this with you. If if you want to get anything in return for me, you better trade me. Now, there's got to be more to it that. For whatever various reasons, agents and all that stuff, they don't they want, they don't want to put it out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was generally shocked.
Speaker 2: And I think you have a GM who basically says I'm either gonna be you know, champion or vilified, Yeah, in three years from now.
Speaker 1: So it feels like and there there's always you.
Speaker 2: Know, ancillary things that go into this, but you know, they talked about the Miami or the Mavericks culture that you know, these players will buy into the MAVs culture, and maybe he didn't. They talked about his weight and he was out of shape, so you know these code words that it felt like, do we want to give this guy seventy five million dollars a year?
Speaker 6: Year? Right?
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, it's not like he's going to slow down or he can't jump any hunt. He's like Luca don Or. Yeah, he's like Joker where he's not going to slow down because he's already slowed down.
Speaker 1: Like he this is.
Speaker 2: How he plays. He's gonna play old man basketball the rest of his career. So that's what I don't If he shows up with a you know, a beer belly, cut off shorts, smoking cigarettes, I'd be like, all right, that guy's still gonna get twenty five at night.
Speaker 6: So it's funny because the two things that jump out to me, I'll never forget. I can't remember what game they won last year. But after the game, he's drinking a beer. Yeah, Michael Finley comes over.
Speaker 4: And takes it out of his hand.
Speaker 6: I thought, I don't know about that, Like he's the best player and it's one thing to say, hey man, probably not a good idea to have that beer and everything, like take it out of his head. I'd be like, dude, who are you?
Speaker 4: I just won the game for us with the NBA Finals.
Speaker 6: Give me my beer. That's how I would have been, Give me my beer. The other thing is there's certain I played basketball through high school, loved it. I get the guys that are fast, can jump high, all those things I'm amazed by, like Brunson or Luca. Damn they're slow, they can't jump, and yet there I watched them. I'm like, how is he doing this? Because you know, it is hard to get your shot off if you're not coming off a screen, off a dribble. The way they change it's really really impressive.
Speaker 2: But it's like, and we're talking to Ross Tucker a CBS Sports, like Le'Veon bell he wasn't the fastest guy, right, but he kind of drifted drifted boom, Yeah, drifted drifted boom. You know, And I guess there's comparisons in all walks of life. Let me go back to the trade, where Luca may thank the MAVs at some point for restarting his career or getting to realize get in shape, you can be one of the greatest players of all time. I go back to when Chris Carter was going through his drug problems and Buddy Ryan traded him. Yeah, and Chris later in his career said he saved my career because he he woke me up. I don't know if it's to that degree with Luca that he you know he does it's not drugs, but it's is taking care of himself. And Buddy traded Chris and didn't want to, but had to because he thought it was best for Chris's career.
Speaker 6: But also maybe this is just who Luca is and maybe he can keep going like this. I mean, isn't Ovechkin about to break Gretzky's record? Okin? I know some guys that know he's been running hard for a while, maybe not as much as he used to do, But like the fact that that guy is gonna break Gretzky's record. He's not only burns it at both ends, but he's like a hitter, you know what I mean, Like he's not like just your finesse you know, goal scorer like Ovechkin. That that's incredible to me, that he's still playing and about the break that I can't believe I'm talking basketball.
Speaker 2: Kim Legler here, if the Eagles win the Super Bowl, and how will we look at how will history look at that trade that the Eagles made getting Saquon barklay.
Speaker 6: Ooh, they will call it one of the best free agent signings of all time. Yeah, they'll call it one of the best free agent signs of all time. And it'll just make it look even uglier for the Giants. I mean, we talked about a little bit about McNabb and bledsoee in division. Not only was Saquon and division. We have it on tape, the owner saying to the GM boy, I'd have a tough time sleeping. He's our best player, he's by far our most popular player. And the owner kept that guy. The owner said, I would Can you imagine losing a guy that might be a difference maker, may be offensive player of the year Dan. I think they offered him ten and a half eleven, but they weren't going to go to twelve and a half or whatever. If you think about that, these are the Giants are probably worth eight billion dollars, right over a million and a half. They let their best and most popular player go to the other team in their division. Don't you think in like just just ticket sales and just jerseys, don't you think Saquan almost makes up for that million and a half a year like that. Stuff like that is the stuff I really really don't understand.
Speaker 2: I just hope that it revitalized the running back position because I kept waiting, knew it would happen. I didn't know would happened like this. But you got Derek Kentner, mean, you got teams that really James Cook that they focus on the run.
Speaker 6: Josh Jacobs, Joe Mixon. There's a bunch of guys that got signed, older veteran guys. You know, here's what's crazy, because I wrote about this during the season. You know what, Michael Pittman for the Colts, he's a good player, right, nice receiver. He makes twenty four million dollars a year. He makes double Saquon. He makes three times what Derek Henry makes. So kudos to Howie Roseman and Eric DaCosta and the gms of the Ravens and the Eagles for saying, wait, Mante, this is not right, like a good game for Michael Pittman, is like six catches for eighty eight yards. We're gonna give Saquon Barkley the ball one way or the other twenty times a game. And I think they also correctly figured out, you know, Saquon, if you get him to the second level and he gets that speed going look out. The Giants just could rarely do it. But with the Eagles offensive line, he gets that space to get up to twenty two miles an hour often and that's why we've had I said, I can't remember a guy maybe Chris Johnson from the Titans that one year, but I can't remember a guy with this many sixty seventy yard right. This doesn't happen in the NFL. It's great to see always man. Good to see you guys in person for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for all your contributions. We appreciate it. You're always there for us. The audience loved you, and you know we do you have the Eagles winning? Do you have to have Eagles winning?
Speaker 6: No? I don't know. I think I don't know how you pick sirianni and Hurts over Andy Reid and Mahomes no one score game. I really don't. I mean, I think the Eagles them.
Speaker 1: And you covered the Eagles ull season.
Speaker 6: I do their preseason games. I do multiple things for the Eagles, but when someone asked for my prediction, I gotta go with what I think is the most likely scenario. Most likely scenario is one score game. In a one score game, I'm taking Mahomes, Andy Reid over Hurts and Sara. They can do it. But I think the Eagles' best chance is if they just run away from it with Sakua and win like thirty four to twenty three. Eagles need to somehow either win by two scores or be up by two scores late, because if it's a one score game, We've seen that movie over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: He's Ross Tucker with CBS Sports west Wood One. We'll take a break. When we come back, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. We'll also bring you the play of the day right after this from New Orleans. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock act.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, no play of the day.
Speaker 1: God, this is the play of the day.
Speaker 14: Check this out is Tatum against Maxie, left side of the floor. Five the shot lock Tatum drive pull up fourteen feet done again, good way.
Speaker 4: He wants to go anytime he wants to get there.
Speaker 1: And Jason Tatum again for.
Speaker 13: The Philadelphia fans, has become Freddy Krueger.
Speaker 1: Courtesy of the Celtics Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Celtics, they were down twenty six, came back, roughed up Philadelphia. They shot sixty eight percent in the fourth quarter, sixty seven percent in the second half as they pick up the win.
Speaker 1: That's your play of the day, brought to you by Keeper's Heart.
Speaker 2: A new unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskey, creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskeys. If you're a whiskey fan, you gotta try it. Drink responsibly. I had a glass last night, and I had a cigar with the big German. We sat outside and sipped in social until the wee hours of the morning. Actually it was around nine o'clock and I said I've got to go to bed. I go to bed. I look out my window because I hear this noise, and my window overlooks the pool, and I'm looking out and I'm going, there's naked people in there. There's naked guys in the pool. Those are guys that I work with who were in the pool led by Dylan, and week's our cameraman. I'm going, I think I'm gonna have to have a talk with the boys coming up that next day, that's today. Spoke to them and I said, hey, it's a long week, now, come on. I know every day's the super Bowl, but you're not playing in it, Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was watching and there was another couple in there and it became a brokusie. And when I looked, the other couple had just left when the bros went down in their boxer brief, but that other couple was about to be shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 10: Is that why that big truck of chlorine pulled up early this morning?
Speaker 4: After what happened with that? I don't know what's going on there.
Speaker 1: David in Ohio, Best and worst of the weekend, David, Come.
Speaker 14: On, Dan, everyone's gone skinny dipping at least one time she got to cut him some slick a little bit. Anyway, I got two.
Speaker 1: Beats, David David, David, no one was skinny.
Speaker 2: Just let you know those skinny dipping No one was skinny.
Speaker 14: Anyway, I got two bests of the weekend. I when I placed the vet with Dylan about the over under five and a half, Taylor Swift told my wife about it. She goes, oh, I love to throw a pine in your faith on video. I was like, oh, that's great. I'm glad you're on my side. Second best of the weekend after the whole Luca Dontic trade. I think that's how you say his names. Uh. The uh Dallas Cowboys are no longer the worst run team in Texas. So that's what I got. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about that you got.
Speaker 2: There's thirty years of malpractice with the with the Cowboys. The man's made it to the NBA finals last year. Gus in La, Hey Gus, good.
Speaker 5: Morning, mister Patrick. Hope you and the boys that are having yourself as a great time down there super Bowl week. I can't wait to listen to the BRG podcast and hear about how that what they call it. Dude, soup went down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, dude soup.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I was watching an interview with Charles Barkley that he did on NBA TV.
Speaker 6: You know this trade. It was quiet.
Speaker 11: I was at home alone Saturday night, just enjoying a nice reaction time. I heard my neighbor yell what And I don't know why. I'm like, I'm like, what the Hell's going on? For some reason? And then my Twitter goes off and I started saying everything. Charles Barkley said he couldn't think of a trade this monumental in his lifetime. Charles Barkley's been around the game forever. Is this the biggest trade in the history of the NBA?
Speaker 6: And will we ever make sense of it?
Speaker 11: Or do we have to measure it in NBA Championships for it to ever make sense?
Speaker 5: You will have a great reach boy, take care.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll measure this in championships, but I think we're going to look and get the full story on this eventually, Like why did they why are they moving on from him? He's twenty five. Was it that he wasn't buying into getting in shape? Was there anything that happened behind the scenes. The money that you're going to spend, You're going to invest three hundred and fifty million dollars with somebody. I mean, these are these are real difficult decisions. It used to be did you want that guy on your team? How long did you want him on your team? Now it's I don't know. Do we want to give him three hundred and four hundred million dollars? Is he going to buy in? What can we do with that money? If we, you know, save that spend it elsewhere. You had to make a hard decision here for whatever reason. I still come back to why, because I don't want Anthony Davis. If the answer is Anthony Davis and the question is what do you get for Luka Doncik, I don't like that answer because that is one or two more years. In my opinion, the Lakers can look at this as a seven year window with Luca, and I like that better. I still maintain Sacramento got more for Daron Fox going to San Antonio than I think the Lakers had to give up for Luka Doncick.
Speaker 8: That to me does not make any sense. Yeah, polm it's the biggest trade because it's star for star. Anthony Davis was a star last year. I think he was Marvin's second team All NBA. That's high level. Usually trades like this and if you want to bring in Barkley, Barkley was traded at age twenty eight from Philly for a bunch of dudes, a bunch of Rando's, a bunch of B level players.
Speaker 9: That's usually how it goes down.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't salary related.
Speaker 2: It was like Charles had kind of you know, wanted out or worn out as welcome there with Philadelphia. But he did win the MVP I think the next year in Phoenix. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 3: As far as sports shock, where does Mike Jordan's first retirement rink?
Speaker 2: That's up there because we didn't believe it. It was like he's and I remember talking to Sonny Viccaro, who signed Michael to Nike, and he told me that Michael is going to go play baseball. And I'm like, so in the off season he's going to go and goes no, he's not going to play basketball. He's going to go play baseball. And this is when the story first came out because I got a hold of Sunny because I figured he would know something about this, and when he's telling me it, I'm like, wait a minute, hold on, Michael Jordan, after you know, three champion l he's going to retire and play baseball. Yes, so that that might be a bigger shocker if you consider the best player in the game in the history of the game, maybe and he decides he's done with basketball. That's a good comp there. We will give you our best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims from Football Night in America will stop by, and Brian winhors is Ell our one in the books, Our two on the way