Speaker 1: Warrant.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contain spoilers for Widow's Bay up to episode seven, which is all the episodes that are out currently as we're recording. Hello, my name is Jason Getsubsient and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to the xtra vision of the podcast where we divedpt your favorite shows, movies, comics, of pop culture, comedy, You fire our podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, it's the show that's taking the Internet by storm.
Speaker 4: It's Widows Bay.
Speaker 3: We are loving it. You are loving it. It's spooky, it's hilarious. It seems like an overnight success, but as Jason will tell us, it's actually a show that has been in the works for a very long time, and we will be recapping episodes one to seven before we jump into a discussion about why this show is working so well for us and what makes us love.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Widows Bay Apple TV Plus premiered April twenty ninth. The first two episodes came out April twenty ninth. Uh drop every Wednesday. After the finale will be June seventeenth, Coming up here soon. Episode six and seven. Very interestingly dropped together on May twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: I think that was clearly.
Speaker 2: A bid to make sure that the momentum stays up. Those are clearly two paired episodes. But honestly, I think that was I think they were airing on the side of caution with that, and by the time this show reached episode four or five, it had already reached a critical mass of people talking about it. I don't think they needed to do that, but I'm glad they did that.
Speaker 3: But I will say, you know what, I think they go out of it that they probably won't expecting people did like lose them mind and just thought going, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, surprise, drop two episodes. And that is a great feeling for the people making the show, I think.
Speaker 3: So it gets that kind of hype boost. Even though I agree with you, I think at this point everyone likes the show enough that you could have trusted them to be separate. But hey, we got to watch two in a row, and now we get to talk about them.
Speaker 2: The show is created by Katie Dipple, longtime TV writer and improv comic in Los Angeles. Five of the episodes of the first season run are directed by Hiro Mariah and who is also an EP on the show.
Speaker 1: Of course his work on Atlanta's legend.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense when you see the tone of this show. Music by David Fleming. It's just a wonderful show. Okay, let's dive into three caps. We open on Widow's Bay. It's an island forty miles off of New England. Think Martha's Vineyard, but a lot less well known. There's no Wi Fi, there's no sell. The rest of the world has basically like ignores it. The mayor is Tom Loftus, played wonderfully by Matthew Reese. Think the mayor from Jaws, but like Nice, I wants the man from.
Speaker 3: Joe's But the island is the shock. It's like the island is his albatross.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, and he wants to turn the island into a destination like Martha's Vineyard. And good news, there is a New York Times travel writer who's there on the island. He's coming to like write a piece about it. It's a perfect device to get us to like understand the island as the audience. And of course, a good review from thew York Times can turn the entire economy of the island around. So Tom spends the hour, you know, just kind of like managing the weirdness, making sure the restaurant's going to be open, making sure the locals are who are kind of cantankerous and not necessarily like just trustful of outsiders, but just kind of very superstitious, sure about the island's lore, so to speak.
Speaker 3: So they're not necessarily welcoming, they're not super welcoming, and they think that Tom has kind of gone soft or just is being.
Speaker 1: Naive about the truth of the island.
Speaker 2: At at a certain point, fog rolls in, the power cuts out.
Speaker 1: Tom gets rattled, and you know.
Speaker 2: It's still refusing to admit that there's anything wrong with the island, but of course we kind of know that there is.
Speaker 3: We also get that great moment where it's like he gets so rattled that the guy thinks he's doing like a scam. Yeah, Like he's like he's like he's like, oh, you're doing a bit, like you don't need the gimmick. The island's kind of cool, and it's like no, no, no, this is a man who doesn't even at this point, we don't know if he knows himself, like he's he's yeah, he's ale, but he is like trying so hard to pretend that everything is fine on the island. But if you've ever watched a horror movie, if you've ever felt a goose bump when you've gone into a weird building, you know, nothing on this island is fine. And there are brilliant little details built in every episode. There's one terrifying blink can you miss it moment, so frickin good.
Speaker 2: One of the things the reporter asks Tom about is like, hey, I hear that there's a legend that if you're born on the island you can never leave. And Tom's just like, I don't know about that. Let's go to an episode two church bells ringing at night. There's no one at the church. Why are the church bells ringing?
Speaker 1: But good news?
Speaker 2: The Times review comes out and it's great. Tom is absolutely thrilled. He makes his assistant, his executive assistant, Patricia, who is maybe my favorite character on TV. He currently makes read it to him twice. You know, there's tourists that are coming this weekend. It's all coming together. Then sirens sound. Wick, who is this cantankerous fisherman local in his you know, late.
Speaker 1: Fifties maybe early sixties. Is he's very against this.
Speaker 2: Time by Stephen, wonderfully played by Stephen, and he is very against this influx of newcomers, this this attempt to make a connection with the mainland. He says, this is all going to lead to tragedy and destruction and danger. He is causing a scene at the breakwater in which is like the only hotel like in the area. He is saying, you know, like it's not safe to put tourists here, you know this. Tom is like, you're a redneck, You're a hicic.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Like really like elak where he flips out and everyone in town is like, okay, wait a minute. Because we learn Tom was not born on the island. That's the one thing. So we don't know his son, however, was, which is part yes as far as we know. So it's really interesting to see him flip out in this moment and kind of lose a lot of the goodwill he'd been building.
Speaker 4: With some of the locals the town.
Speaker 2: The townspeople like gasp when he calls Wick a hic and Tom is like, well, listen, I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is, and I will stay in the breakwater in myself tonight, which is a hotel that's you know, there's like a restaurant there, and a lot of the locals heat at the restaurant, but nobody stays at the inn. It's it's open and the owner is.
Speaker 1: You know, there and around, but nobody like, actually.
Speaker 4: Nobody will say that.
Speaker 3: And this is where you start to get a hint of what Widow's Bay's true secret is, which is they can build in a.
Speaker 4: Different horror trope every single episode.
Speaker 3: In a way that makes it feel like Widow's Bay is essentially almost like the hell mouth of every horror trope that you can imagine.
Speaker 4: It's really cool. And yeah, the in Tom don't stay that, Babe, Me and Joel are like screaming at the TV, like, do not stay that? Come on?
Speaker 2: Well, the townsfolk give Tom basically a list of things he needs to accomplish when he stays there. So he's got to stay the night, He has to go down like into the crawl space for part of that, yeah, et cetera. So he has to stay in the Captain Suite, which is named for a captain who murder's entire family.
Speaker 1: He has to say ugly hortense. He had you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's apparently a killer clown. He has to record himself on camera doing all of this stuff. He has to get locked in a closet and he draws the line at going down into the.
Speaker 1: Cross space in the basement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he does do it.
Speaker 1: He does. So he goes to the hotel. He stays the night.
Speaker 2: He hears the victims of a nineteen sixty to New Year's Eve disaster, like talking and screaming in the events. A welcome tape plays like it's possessed, and he's getting very very creeped out. But he is put at ease by another guest, William, who is there staying like just down the hall, and they bond together, you know, about like how weird it is. Tom talks about like all the weird board games that are in his.
Speaker 1: Room, and they go down.
Speaker 2: They go down to the lobby and play some board games and morning comes and Tom's like, oh, who I made it?
Speaker 1: I feel great.
Speaker 2: However, he discovers, first of all, he has a dream that he is in the crawl space to the hotel.
Speaker 4: And is it a dream?
Speaker 1: Is happy?
Speaker 2: Falls asleep he falls asleep playing the board games and is awakened, goes down to the basement, it goes into the crawl space where he's hearing stuff. A scary clown chases him in there.
Speaker 1: He wakes up, He.
Speaker 2: Wakes up the lobby, and he learns, much to his horror, that William there is no other guest. William is very likely a ghost in the spirit of a serial killer who stayed there once.
Speaker 3: And that's why you had a dream about him, just as an evil clown that's right following you. And I have to say again that moment when he's in the crawl space and we hear the steps go across, and he goes, William, is that you, And he goes, yeah, yeah, I'm coming in, and he goes, no.
Speaker 1: Don't come in, don't come in.
Speaker 4: You get that, don't come in.
Speaker 3: And then you see him crawl in as this terrifying clown. Is just that balance of horror and comedy. I have not seen it this effective for so.
Speaker 2: So good the piecing. They do a really good job of like giving you some horror and then punctuating it with comedy, and then you'll give you a stretch of this kind.
Speaker 1: Of strange twin Peaksian.
Speaker 2: Meets Parks and wreck kind of town charming, charming, charming, mird vibes, and then they'll dive back into the strangest in the heart, but always bringing you back at just the right moment.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: Episode three, we go to the Historical Society and we learn a little bit about the island, which was founded by Richard Warren, like the governor, the original governor back in the early sixteenth eighteenth century, early eighteenth century, and is credited as the very first mayor of Widow's Bay. So tourists are beginning to kind of arrive. Tom does his thing, you know, locals are still trying to warn him about everything that's going on. Tom is pressing on despite this. He picks up a tourist, Marissa, who is in town for a bachelorette party and is staying at the inn, and she's asking like various questions. There seems to be some flirtation going on. Morgan warns him not to do the inaugural swim, which is a kind of ritual event.
Speaker 3: And it's this kind of tradition that the Metage always do this swim and you swim out far to a boat boy or booie and you come back, and but he's obviously wicks like it's dangerous and they're really playing on the Jaws elements here. But they bring in just such a outrageous twist and again a completely different horror kind of trope brought to life in a way we've never seen before. It's so silly and it's so good, and it still has the scariness they.
Speaker 4: Still want to bring it.
Speaker 2: Rosemary, who's this older woman who works in Tom's office, warns Tom that the woman that he picked up is actually a sea hag and this kind of legendary monster from the deep.
Speaker 1: And the Seahagg's whole method is when you see one, she'll scratch you, and then she's locked into your scent. And when she scratches you, she waits until like the wound will like slow you and paralyze you over time, and then when you're paralyzed, she will come and sit on your face and strangle you that way till you die. And Tom is like, give me a break. She would. The woman that Tom picked up is a very normal looking woman.
Speaker 2: Very nice, very nice, very age appropriate, attract just bumming, funny, good humor about the cuss and Tom is a widower, and then you're feeling like.
Speaker 1: Get at it. This feels like it could be okay.
Speaker 2: Well, the woman shows up at Tom's house after they have there was some weird they had dinner, they had like a meal together, and there was some weirdness about it where maybe she's pressing a little too hard about like let's meet up later.
Speaker 1: And Tom not.
Speaker 2: Exactly freaked out by the Seahag story, but like in the back of his mind it's like, no, no, no, I think that's you know.
Speaker 3: He's also like he did just prove that the Captain's bay was like haunted.
Speaker 4: You know, he's running that maybe you do have to This is a bit more serious, lid.
Speaker 2: She shows up at his house, outside his door at night, and it's very freaky. She's she's acting through the and this is like, oh my god, this is like the Strangers to your point.
Speaker 1: About my hor trope. This is a great it's so fun. This kind of Yeah, she's.
Speaker 2: Outside the door and she's acting very normal about it. She's like, oh, but like I felt like there was a vibe and you know, you seemed like and you know, I need to ask you, I still need to ask you some questions about things. And he's now he's beginning to get very, very freaked out. He does not let her in, but but the scratch is beginning. He looks at the scratch on his arm. There is indeed a scratch on his arm, and he's and and it won't heal and he's and it's like slowing him.
Speaker 1: He's getting concerned.
Speaker 2: He there is an encounter on the beach during the swim that happens, and when it comes to his house later that night, somehow the sea hag gets into his home and does sit on his face and it's slowly strangling him. But that is when Wick comes and saves his life and shoots the sea hag boom.
Speaker 3: And I would say Episode three is our let's let's talk about this moment, Jason, because this is really our confirmation this shit is real. There's no rig rug poll like two people experience this thing.
Speaker 4: Tom is not crazy. We already knew from what we've seen.
Speaker 3: But they could still play on it. I think that's part of Widow's bab why it works so well, because they're not saying, like, is this secretly about his grief?
Speaker 1: Is is it not real?
Speaker 3: They just said boom, this seahag just got shot with a fucking dark gun and somebody else is involved.
Speaker 4: This is a supernatural show.
Speaker 2: Now, I love that about this show. We've seen so many shows, mystery bock shows in particular, where you're like, is it happening?
Speaker 1: What is happening? How much is real? Yellow jackets, Right, this show.
Speaker 2: Does not to your point. By episode three, it's real. There's three magical supernatural stuff going on in the island.
Speaker 1: Wow, how it works, why it works, what the source of it is. Don't worry about that. It's real, and that.
Speaker 2: Part of it is is what makes the comedy and all the other things work.
Speaker 3: So well.
Speaker 2: Agree, Let's go to episode four, which is where I think we all agree the show goes to another level.
Speaker 1: The show was already great by the first three episode was.
Speaker 4: A really good show.
Speaker 3: But this makes it a great show. So I think award contention show is that.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: From four, five sixty seven it goes to another level to I think I mean, looking at the landscape right now, I think I could say easily best show on television right now.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, the quality, the consistency of the writing. As you will see in this episode. The ability to shift focus and completely change the tone of the show, in my opinion, makes it. It proves how this could go on for seven eight seasons like a Parks and rec Not every episode can be about Leslie.
Speaker 4: Nope, right, Tom is our Leslie? Nope.
Speaker 3: In just the fourth episode, they switched to Patricia, and they managed to bring an episode that amps up the horror and kind of disconnected nature of the show to such a shocking degree. At the end, I was legitimately felt like I had been gotten by a twist, even though the whole time I knew what was going on.
Speaker 4: It's such a feat of TV.
Speaker 3: Making, and it also just reasserts this kind of unsettling curse is real and it's not just impacting Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is the This is the the Wickerman episode exactly.
Speaker 4: It's the episode and it's.
Speaker 1: Done so well. This is the Patricia Bottle episode.
Speaker 2: She uh we learned that she runs the little like library van for the local government, and she's also kind of like socially struggling on the island. There's like a group of women who she has a history with and for reasons that are revealed over the course of the episode. They just don't like never are going to accept her. They don't like her, and you can feel it, and Patricia is desperately wanting that acceptance from both them and from the island and the society on the island at large. So she's feeling very sad, and she finds at night, she finds that a book that had been turned in to the bookball bill Van which I forget, I'm forgetting. Oh it's called Your Turn, It's your and it's a self help book about like how to become the life of the party. It's basically this world's version of like how to win friends in influence people exactly.
Speaker 3: Mixed with kind of the secret or whatever. Like it's and it's very obvious, very quickly. And this is what I love about the show. Depending on your experience of the real world how You and You a Horror tropes, the way that you experience this episode and the show is different. My mom went through a phase of being obsessed with self help books. So the moment a self help book flew off the shelf and hit the floor, I thought, this is bad. But I love that the show plays it that you don't. It depends on your own relationship to those things. But the book starts to advise her on how to throw the perfect party.
Speaker 2: So Patricia studies this book and she puts together a plan to kind of hijack an ongoing local town government gathering and make it her own party. She invites the entire town, like everybody on her email list, and she invites all the mean girls. They're very stand office about it and don't seem like they want to go or maybe in fact, would love to see it fail. They let Protissa know that another townsperson is having a similar like having their own party the same night at the Elks Lodge. Patricia goes so far as to, oh, like use local zoning laws, the fact that thirty that more than ten people, not more than thirty non members of the Elks Lodge in the Elks Lodge at any given time to cancel this other party. She makes one of the people who work in the office be the DJ and learn like eight hundred different songs and the party she's getting it together, she's making the She's like really really studied this book. The thing I love about this book is like there's all these like worksheet person. Oh yeah, and like, so there's this She opens the first worksheet and it's like, what do you like about yourself? It's two lines and then and then under that is what don't you like about yourself? And it's like fifteen lines that you have to feel it's so good.
Speaker 3: So it's very much like positioning her as this victim, as this person people don't like.
Speaker 4: Also, while she's doing all of this, and this is the thing about this show that I never saw coming. This is the hero.
Speaker 3: Mindset in my opinion. The whole time, she's wearing this little tiara like.
Speaker 4: She's the queen.
Speaker 3: Wait, she's setting it up right, She's when she's making the punch and everything, she's still wearing it, and it's like a weird vibe and everyone's acting like.
Speaker 4: It's weird, but it feels weird because she's not the queen. It's the council party.
Speaker 3: And these are just the little twists that start to feel strange that you're setting up that something is going wrong and people are reacting are in a weird way, but we don't really know why other than she's just being awkward about it.
Speaker 1: Feels like I will say that I think that they.
Speaker 2: It's only one person that really makes a comment about like the about It's only Rosemary who's like, I don't think you should wear that head piece, but which looks like a tiara at in the moment anyway, So she's got everybody here. She has it out with the mean girls at the party, and we learned that the reason they don't like her is Patricia survived a serial killer attack maybe the guy who stayed at the hotel right that killed a lot of the mean girl group's other friends, yes, and that Patricia survived by hiding under her bed, and everybody thinks that she's lying about it, except she was never attacked and she's just trying to get like attention by being part of the serial killer attack that happened.
Speaker 3: And she says it's true, and I believe her, but I'm very interested because I feel like, at this point in the show, a lot hinges on her experience of that night.
Speaker 2: So the party's going great. It's you know, she's like the life of the party. She's been working on this punch. She brings the punch out, everybody drinks the punch. Everybody's dancing, dancing, dancing, there's these wonderful creepy moments where they do this like swirling shot through the crowd is like the camera circles through the crowd of Patricia. She's dancing, and as it as different, like people in the crowd kind of block out the camera for a moment. You get this one snippet of everybody staring at her with this like.
Speaker 4: It's all your care.
Speaker 3: Yeah you can see that, Yeah, nightmare kind of thousand yards there in the mirror. They're all standing with their mouths open and you're, oh my god, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: And if you blink you'll miss it. Get back to the party. Everything seems fine.
Speaker 3: My read at that point was like okay, so like you know, that kind of hypnotized into enjoying the party. But they do think that having a good time. It's really interesting kind of where they choose to go with it.
Speaker 1: So she has delivered the punch.
Speaker 2: She then makes a speech that is basically like you know, thank you for all coming, and you know.
Speaker 1: It's a very normal speech.
Speaker 2: She goes back into the kitchen to like put the punch away, and Catherine is still there and she's like, I don't no, excuse me, Rosemary's still there.
Speaker 1: In the corner and she's like, you know what, I didn't fucking understand a word of what you just said.
Speaker 2: And Patricia's like, you know what, like you're not being supportive, You're not a supportive friend. Yeah, you don't get it. Just then the sheriff comes in because there's been a noise complaint. Patricia loves that there's been a noise complaint because it means that people have been having a great time.
Speaker 1: He says, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: And that is when like the spell snaps and we see that what she's been chopping is not like stuff for the punch. It's like all these small animals, this ritualistic you know, chopping up of like entrades and entrails and things. And what she's gone on her head isn't this small tiara. It's like a set of bloody antlers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like placed on her head, the kind of head.
Speaker 3: And she's been running this whole party like this, every tourist in the room like it's it's such a good reveal.
Speaker 4: I did not see it coming. It's so creepy.
Speaker 3: It totally fucking shows how like much the town is ensned in this occult magic and it's so unbelievable of a performance from the woman who plays Patricia. It's like immedia Emmy Boom, just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So everybody at the party, which includes several people from off the island tourists or the good looking people as Patricia calls them, have become entranced by some sort of magic of the island, and they are wandering out to the beach to words this wicker man thing that is currently burning, like on fire, burning, and Patricia runs out there to try and stop them. The sheriff is trying to stop them from just walking into the water.
Speaker 1: And drowning themselves the water.
Speaker 2: Patricia is carrying the book, the self help book, which she realized earlier when when the spell broke, is like this.
Speaker 5: It's witches like this acronomical skin, you know, looking good, not looking good?
Speaker 2: Right, So the spell is eventually broken when she holds she can't let go of the book.
Speaker 1: But she does manage to put it in the fire and burn it and it breaks the.
Speaker 2: Spells just like, oh what's going on? The mean girls are like you drugged us. I'm going to sue and it just like all falls apart and turns into something else great episode. Oh, let's go to episode five.
Speaker 3: How do you follow that episode, you may ask, And the question is by doing an even more like an equally is incredible episode that's totally different, So.
Speaker 1: We should add that.
Speaker 2: At the end of this episode, it is revealed that Reverend Price has hung himself in the church.
Speaker 3: Yes, we learned that he basically at some point had called them, and he says, I can hear the ringing, I can hear them.
Speaker 1: We see what we have to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he discovers that the bells have actually been like chained up, so there really is no way and he feels like he's going crazy.
Speaker 4: And the final moment is he hung himself in the church.
Speaker 3: So it's this really bleak ending that you kind of go, oh shit, where's it going?
Speaker 4: And then they.
Speaker 3: Somehow bring in like an incredible new character that just changes the tone in such a funny way.
Speaker 2: So Mayor Tom Wick and Patricia are in Reverend Price's office. They're looking through his stuff. Tom looks through his phone, you know, his landline phone, realizes that the reverend had called him a couple of times. So he's feeling very sad about this, like he wasn't there for the reverend, but then they.
Speaker 3: Was to be sat on to death. But I do agree, like I get it.
Speaker 2: They find some interesting things. They find black mushrooms wrapped in a napkin, a burnt letter of some sort, and a phone number for a guy named Todd. Also in the phone. Tom calls the phone number. Todd doesn't want to talk to him. He makes Patricia call again, and Patricia gets it done. They get the address. They show up at Todd's Todd is. Todd says he's not a drug dealer, but he is. He says he's a shaman. And he says, oh, these mushrooms, these are called true site. These are the only like mushrooms that I won't mess with because they give you incredibly powerful visions about like the future and about what's going on. It's like they're very troubling. Don't want to take these, and Wick is like, I'll do it. The only way that we can find out what's happening on this island and find out how to stop it is to like enter the spirit realm of through the doorway of these mushrooms. I will, I'll take it. And so they discuss this outside. They come back in Patricia tells Todd the drug dealer, Wick's gonna take it. So there's a mix up here, and because Todd thinks Tom is Wick hands him a cup of tea that Tom doesn't realize is the mushroom tea, and he drinks it and is embarking now on a twelve hour trip. There's another kind of b plot going on here where Tom's son, Evan, who is this rebellious like young guy smokes weed, has born on the island, has never left the island and is you know, always chafing at his father's control. It has been kind of like locked in Tom's Tom locked him in the office and was basically like told, I told his secretary of Rosemary, you know, basically watch this lady, watch watch my son.
Speaker 3: So those people are all incompetent, so crazy to put them in charge on it, right, So this is all he's too high, right.
Speaker 2: And also Tom has he's put in place at Curfew to try and keep the tourists from getting killed and keep them inside it at night.
Speaker 1: And he's got to.
Speaker 2: End He's got a chair like a meeting with the local with the townsfolk and the business leaders of the area because they are. You know, they're distressed about this curfew, so he goes on these like jagged trips where he loses time in between each of them.
Speaker 3: I think it's best about this episode is the representation of the tripping where it's like you're at the one place, you're at the house, then suddenly you wake up and you're at the fucking meeting, like you've been talking.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, like you just keep waking up.
Speaker 3: It's so it's a dream and so well done and so challenging for Tom as a carrotter.
Speaker 4: As somebody who always likes to be in control.
Speaker 2: So while Tom is variously incapacitated, Wick takes the burnt letter and goes to the Historical Society where he talks to Jerry, who we will later discover as kind of like an old flame of his. They're certainly a very very old friend of his, and Jerry discovers that the page is from the journal of Sarah Richard Warren, the founder of the Colony's second wife, and this is the thread that kind of like pulls the whole mystery open. The mushrooms basically destroyed Tom, but when he finally arrives home, you know, on this mission to find out where Evan is and what's going on with him. He confronts Evan and his friends in front of the house. Yeah, they go inside, Evan and him have it out where Evan's like, why didn't you ever let me leave the island?
Speaker 1: Like what's you know? Like they just like why did you lie to me about this? That and the other?
Speaker 2: You know, Like you're an asshole, Like you just are trying to control me. And Tom is like, we'll talk about this tomorrow. He goes into his bathroom where he prays to God, if God indeed exists, to protect his son because he knows that his son, having been born on the of his mind, he knows that his son, having been born on the island, can never leave or he'll die. And we get for the first time this vision of we see Tom's remembrances of what happened to his wife. His wife was pregnant with Evan, and they got on the ferry to leave, and she lost her sight and went blind and something happened. We then later see Tom talking to it. Did she die in that moment, It's unclear, but whatever happened was extremely serious. But also we know that Evan was born, So what happened?
Speaker 4: She did? She did?
Speaker 3: He says she in the first episode. I think you raise a great question. In the first episode he says she.
Speaker 1: Died, and she died in chat.
Speaker 3: But here it does imply that maybe something else we we don't know it's the trip is I think raises some really interesting questions.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to say like, oh, yeah, go for it, go for it.
Speaker 2: I mean I I'm wondering. Well, we'll talk about this when we talk.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay, Well, I was going to say.
Speaker 3: That the one thing as well I want to know is like how do they balance because we do have the drug trip that is such a like stone of comedy drug even like Freddy Vessus Jason kind of comedy horror element. But the stuff with Evan and the kids in the car is very classic like Slashery Texas, Chancel massacre, beautiful lighting in front of a big house, like really cool, weird hare a trope shit, Like they know how to do this stuff and how to weave in multiple influences throughout an episode in a way I've never really seen another show though without it being like wink wink, nudge nodge.
Speaker 4: American horror story naming.
Speaker 3: This feels very much like just born off horror in a way other shows don't.
Speaker 2: We go to episode six, which is our another bottle episode we opened in the past. Seventeen oh two is the year Betty Gilpin wonderfully plays Sarah Westcott, the newly arrived see how to Show Up? Yeah, the newly arrived wife to Richard Warren. She kind of has been she's, you know, an older woman in seventeen o two, older for seventeen oh two, Yes, yes, childless, unmarried, So this is like a real chance to like have what is a normal life in this culture. And she's been married sight unseen to Richard Warren, who already has like five or six kids. I forget how many. She arrives and you know the places. It's a very strange town she learns. That is, you know, a very revered figure as the founder of the town and somebody whose efforts have created a place for people to live. But also there's a lot of darkness here. There's a sickness spread is unexplained, and you know, people are kept in their homes who have the sickness, and their doors are marked with and.
Speaker 3: He is yeah, he has like creepy we had rituals, like evening rituals to keep them inside.
Speaker 1: And he's a very strange guy.
Speaker 2: The it, you know, the church bell tolls and he has to leave on their wedding night, and and he does not explain why. And the mystery kind of unfolds to the point that at one point Sarah discovers a few things. One she discovers that there is a hidden chamber under the house where she thinks the body of a man named Ezra that Richard was talking to is down there, because she sees his bloody kane and she saw her husband bludgeon this man to death with.
Speaker 1: The king dun Dun Dun Dun dun dun, but the body is never found.
Speaker 2: Secondarily, someone at night comes into their home and like stabs Richard to death right next to her, but he doesn't die. And he comes downstairs where she's been hiding, covered in blood, and he tells her like, from now on, you can't leave the house. You and the children have to stay here, even in daylight hours. You can't go in there. You have to stay here.
Speaker 1: She escapes.
Speaker 2: She tries to tell like the local priest and a small group of the townspeople. What's going on. They're like, listen, there's a boat coming. You can leave, but you have to help us. You have to slip Richard this this thing that will put him to sleep so that we can attack, like basically take care of him. She's like, she does it, but he kind of figures it out and tries to kill her. The Richard's oldest son hits him over the head with a log, knocks him unconscious, and they escape down to the docks right to leave, to forget the ferry.
Speaker 1: They're just gonna row out of town.
Speaker 2: They get to the dock and a woman who they had previously seen in town, who has got the illness. Her face is all like scarred up and very very scary, is like, oh, take me with you, and she's like, no, you got to stay back. She ends up hitting the woman with an oar, knocking her into the water, and then they all row away. We don't know what happens to them. We see that the townspeople in Hoods have taken Richard and they put him in a coffin and he's got this a strange necklace with like a vial around his neck, and.
Speaker 3: They which they reference, which we reference, like that's where this they say, like in the lost EP, there's something in there that we about the necklace of that's the origin of the plague allegedly is what's in the necklace?
Speaker 4: So crazy episode.
Speaker 3: And also I want to say, hey, mishlinklay as Richard, you killing it midnight mass. This man said no one will run evil town bat than me. I don't want to see anyone else do it. I got to be that run in the evil religious town.
Speaker 1: So the townspeople.
Speaker 2: Bury Richard alive in the graveyard and we smash cut to present day Wick in the cemetery, after discovering, you know, the Sarah's journal page, figuring out like, oh, this vial that around his neck is the key to it. I wonder if he's still wearing it in the where he's buried. So they dig him up and that's the end of the episode. Now we then go to episode seven, picks up right where it left off. Wick and Patricia tell Tom, hey listen. So Tom is waking up now after the trip, right he slept for twenty four full hours. Patricia calls him says, come to the Historical Society, which is Richard Warren's original house by the way, and he goes there. Richard Warren's coffin is on the floor. His hand is shaking, and they're like, listen, we dug them. Oh Max, what are you crazy? You fucking look up Richard Warren. She's like yeah, and he's upstairs. He's still alive.
Speaker 1: You can talk to him.
Speaker 3: Fucking insane, like a absolutely unbelieved. Again, this is giving like what we do in the Shadows, the level of like we're gonna fucking do shit.
Speaker 4: You're not expecting.
Speaker 2: I'm pulling off another great comp So Patricia and Wicker like you need to He will only talk to the Lord Protector of the island, which is I guess is the mayor.
Speaker 1: So that's you sure, So you have to go.
Speaker 2: We've been communicating through like written slips of paper. You need to go up there and find out what the fuck is happening. Here is the necklace with the vial. Don't touch it, don't open it, get him to open it. And so they're like okay, Tom, Tom's like okay. He goes up there. It's a very very scary. Richard is super super weird. He's you know, he's been underground for three.
Speaker 4: There's so many like funny moments here too.
Speaker 3: Why they even when it's really scary, they still get those little laughs out of you, like be stocked old when he speaks, and shit, and like like you know, Patricia coming in, coming in all the time, Like every time it gets you to that moment where your hackles are up and you're like, shit, I'm scared. They get you with that tension laugh or that tension. It's almost the comedic version of the cat jumping out of the you know, the chest when you think.
Speaker 4: There's gonna be a slasher reveal. It's so well balanced.
Speaker 2: So Richard tells Tom some very important things. He tells him one that when they stayed on the island, at first there was no food. No, they couldn't find fish, they couldn't find anything. They were starving to death. Then Richard found these black mushrooms and they sustained him. And through the mushrooms he was able to make some sort of deal with the devil, with some sort of we don't know.
Speaker 3: He thinks it's God, but the island thinks it's that it's we feel right.
Speaker 4: He thinks it's some kind of.
Speaker 1: Present powerful deity.
Speaker 2: He makes a deal and and that let them all live on the island. But of course it is the source of the magical curse and the plague and the various other things that are going on. The vile which Richard opens contains his basically contract with the deity, and it's written in his blood, feces and seemen.
Speaker 4: So funny, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We also learn that.
Speaker 2: Richard Richard believes that if you take him out to the barrier where like where the where the magical curse ends out in the ocean, that he will immediately age up to you know, his Actually he'll just turn to bones and that should break the curse. So they go in Wick's boat. They put him. They're like, listen, it's we don't want anybody to see. You have to get back in the coffin. They put him back in the coffin. They put him on Wicks boat. Wick can Tom go out there? We learned from Wick man and this is so good like this, So the thing about what so Tom, It's important to remember. Of course Tom can go past the barrier because he was not born here. Wick cannot because he was born there. Wick tells Tom a story that he's been carrying with them. As a teen, he and his best friend Mark stole a boat. They went out to the to the border, out in the water, and like a giant squid or something.
Speaker 1: Kraken or something, yeah.
Speaker 2: Attack the boat and Wick had to like kick Mark off to save himself. And we discovered that Mark's girlfriend from that period was Jerry from the historical.
Speaker 1: And Wick has been.
Speaker 2: Carrying this guilt that that he kicked Mark off of him so that he could live, and Mark was carried off to the teeth. They have this argument Tom and and Wick about letting Richard out of the coffin because Richard is sounding desperate in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: When Tom comes close to the.
Speaker 2: Coffin, he's like, oh, thank god, you let me please, and and you know, so Tom goes to talk to Wick about it, and Wick's like, do not let him out, Like you don't understand. If you don't let understand what a person will do when they're about to die. They become desperate, they become unpredictable. Just leave him in there. Okay, there's my boat.
Speaker 4: Leave me there.
Speaker 1: And then Tom's like and then Tom's like, well I already let him out.
Speaker 3: Tom's like, sorry, we needed this really important scene that I agree with, where you know, we talk about the Jaws comparisons a lot, but what I think is so great about this show is it takes the influences from where you're not always expecting. So what we essentially get here is like Bay's version of that really weird sequence where that all singing seashanty's for twenty minutes on Jaws, like this is it's then Tom having this like psychological conversation on the boat.
Speaker 4: It's like so weird and fantastical. It's it don't let him out.
Speaker 1: It's that meets.
Speaker 2: The fog somehow, because there's a very fun love that there's this very funny laugh moment where it's like they've just gone through this whole thing where you think Tom is trying to convince Wick to let to allow Tom to open the coffin and let Richard run around, and then he's like, then there's the reveal, like I already let him out. So they go up and they look and Richard is just sitting under the very bright light like the little kitchen table there, looking looking weird, ghost from the fog, looking literally like he walked out of that movie.
Speaker 4: That's such a great pul.
Speaker 1: Looking very weird.
Speaker 2: So they feed him Vienna sausages, and things take a turn and Tom realizes that, like, actually, I think Wick was right, Richard is dangerous. They're drawing closer and closer to the barrier, and as they get closer, the radio will emit strange voices and sounds. So the people like trying to like turn people back from it. Richard attacks Tom, knocks him silly, is now attacking Wick. Eventually they managed to like together. Tom and Wick like wrestle Richard back into his coffin, but he's like trying to get out. He's like pushing up against the hood of the coffin as the boat is drawn closer to the barrier. In an inversion of the story that Wick told Tom, Tom kicks Wick overboard to make sure that he doesn't cross the barrier and die.
Speaker 3: Very loving moment at very moment, and gives emotional nice emotional payback.
Speaker 2: Gives him a life preserver, kicks him over and holds while holding the lid of.
Speaker 1: The coffin down.
Speaker 2: He looks in the coffin as they cross the barrier and it's indeed, it's just bones in there.
Speaker 1: Richard is dead Wick.
Speaker 2: You think for a moment that he's dead, but he's fine. He gets back on board and they they're like together, they're like, oh man, you really did it. Like there Tom has this moment where he's like I did a good job, didn't I? And Wick's like yeah, you did a good yeah, And I'm like, wait a second. You let him out of the coffin, like it could have been very easy.
Speaker 4: And sorry, this is very Donald Trump Lodget.
Speaker 3: It's like, you fuck it up and then you fix it, and then you're like, hey, I did a great job.
Speaker 4: It just don't fuck it up first time. Tom. Don't let him out.
Speaker 2: I grumba so that it is the curse over question mark. I mean, certainly this part of it works, so it's very possible that the curse might be over.
Speaker 1: They go back to town.
Speaker 2: Back in town, while this has been going on, the girl that Evan has been dating, Kelly, is like, your dad's been lying to you. He's being secretive. Let's go through all this stuff. They go through all this stuff, and this is where Evan realizes that his mom didn't die in childbirth, because there are pictures that he of his mom and him as a.
Speaker 4: Baby ay yea yai.
Speaker 1: So what does this mean?
Speaker 2: And this is very very troubling, right the closing shot at the inn, as the innkeeper Curt is kind of closing up, the camera settles on this canvas of like you know, stormy seas and a boat that's been set adrift, and there's this little boy drowning and the little.
Speaker 1: Boy is it Evan as a baby?
Speaker 4: Question mark?
Speaker 2: Question mark? And what I think is happening is the curse now passed on to Mayor Tom.
Speaker 3: That's what I worry about because also I think that from the implication here is what we're going to learn is that Evan's mom tried to leave the island with Evan and died.
Speaker 2: Because let's take a quick break and come back. Let's talk about this show and what we think is going to happen as we head towards the backstretch of what has been an excellent, wow, first season of a television.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back. You mentioned up top.
Speaker 2: So I was doing some research on the show and the thing that I found out is this is a twenty year old script The Crazy tell Us Katie dippled when she was interviewing for Parks and rec I think season two or season three handed it in as like her sample to show that she could write to Mike Sure, and this is how she got the job. So this is like a show that has kind of been just dating for that long, which is fantastic. She and Dippled has said that the early versions was like the balance of comedy and horror. It was a little too comedy, so she had to kind of like, you know, rebalance it, and that has absolutely worked. The influences Dippled calls on are like Spielberg's Jaws, which of course you see it, John Carpenter, you know, various other kinds, even in your childhood.
Speaker 3: Tie West to do the prequel episode, which is very the witch coded. That shows an understanding of like somebody who can bring a period piece to life like Pearl, somebody who can do a complicated woman's story.
Speaker 4: It's she knows.
Speaker 3: And I think, Jason, how do you feel, I mean, as a writer, as you know, I have a baby script.
Speaker 4: I love, that's my passion project.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you have the same, Like, how do you think oftentimes when you make your first project, you don't get to make it the way that you want to make it. So it must feel pretty incredible for Katie for this passion project to get to be made in this way with such incredible cost, such a long gestation period.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's interesting because she's obviously, like Katie's got an incredible resume, Like she wrote The Heat, she wrote on Parks and Wrecks. As we said, I forget what some of her, but she's done like a lot of She's got a lot of credits.
Speaker 1: She's got a lot of credits.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know, as a as a writer starting out to kind of like call on your arch enemy and free Bag, I think Fleabag kind of twisted the perception of like TV writing and like, oh, you've got to write from you got to write what you know. It's got to be personal. It's got to be personal to you. You're going to get to make it and then you're gonna get to make it the way you want. That's never haw Yeah, And I think the fact that like, despite those comments, it takes a long time to You've got to have other ideas, you've got to have other scripts, and maybe you get to make a passion project and who knows if this really is a passion project if this word, yeah, just what they bought, you know. Anyway, So let's talk about what we think is. I have no idea where this show is going to go, but I think that we're going to discover, as we talked about at the end of the recap section, that the curse follows blood, so to speak, and now it is mayor Tom who whose life mirrored Richard Warrens in that his wife tried to flee, perhaps like with the child, and it is we're going to discover that it's him that is now the nexus of the curse, and he's going to have to directly try and break this curse somehow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a really good call.
Speaker 3: I also think they could get quite a lot of humor out of him trying to live with the cast a season too, like doing the balance that he was doing at the beginning, but with the knowledge of the curse. I also, I mean, this would be I think you can only do it once, and they did it in the good place.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if this is.
Speaker 3: Where they would go, But after this episode, I did have that moment of like, is the last three episodes of this going to be establishing what the show really is, which is a show truck that used to be an island that used to be cursed. What is the slice of life like to live on a precursed island? And this was the setup that could be pretty interesting but also a huge swing away from what has made the show so beloved, which is the horror comedy of it all. So I'm interested to see, but this is the kind of show where I've learned not to try and not even though it's always fun to predict, it is truly a show that has stumped me at every point. Where I thought it was going is not where it went. Are there any horror tropes you haven't seen them touch on that you think could be really fun? Looking at the influences they.
Speaker 2: Gosh like it kind of feels like they've touched on a little of everything other than like Found Forge, which I think they could do it at some point.
Speaker 4: Episode could be pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: I think that, you know one I thought for a moment there in the middle of the season, I was wondering if this was like an in the Mouth of Madness type thing of that movie where these are all characters in like a Stephen Kings, New England based horror writer's story, and that the characters don't understand that they're in this like living fictional universe and that and that's where all the stuff comes from. They can't leave the island because their characters in it.
Speaker 1: Never gonna be the island.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, Jason, that's actually pretty incredible, because if you think I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's I will say I don't.
Speaker 4: You don't think it.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's that, But there was a moment where I did think it was that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, incredible idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any characters you'd love to see I would. I would really love to see some. I thought that Tom and Evans stuff while he was tripping. They got to this kind of raw honesty between the child and the adult that we don't often get, like when he was like, you're a shitty mare, but it's not because of me, it's just because you're fucking shit, and and that Tom kind of had that you're gonna regret saying that to me moment. I would love to see them do a little bit more about those two. Evan confronting what really happened to his mom. Is there a chance his mom's still alive? Question Mark That's what I was interesting.
Speaker 2: So I I do wonder if she's in like the hospital or like the mental the mental interesting wing of the hospital, like sharing shy, very like one flow over the Cuckoo's Nest influences Potentially I'm.
Speaker 3: Interested in the ocean there. I'm interested in the ocean of it all. We know there's krakens, we know there's a sea hag.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: It feels like it would be too high concept to do too much on under the water stuff, but I do wonder if there's maybe a limbo space where the magic if you get pulled down when you try to cross the barrier, you end up somewhere else rather than immediately dying. Because I also felt like the way they were setting up the Wick situation, it felt like there was potential for his friend to appear as some kind of haunting or ghost or so I'm interested to know if they do something like that. But what I love is the show does have an in built lawiness that people love, which is kind of when you were talking about pacing. Something I wanted to bring up is like how incredibly satisfying it is for a show in its first five episodes to deeply seed Law and History and get a fandom that's really excited and already know to do a history episode on episode six, rather than waiting for season two when you've realized there's law Hounds. So just the way they sort of understood, almost like Jessica Gow did with Shee Hulk, how the audience would interact before they did it is very interesting and I think that that's why episode six hit so hard, because there were so many fan theories, so many Reddit threads, so many conversations and discords about the law the curse, and that's I think in the same way that we have dealt with in the past with mystery box shows. I do think that the reveal of is It the Devil, is It God? Is?
Speaker 4: Does It go to Tom?
Speaker 3: It's gonna be so hard to land it because everything else has been so perfect.
Speaker 4: But I think they've got the juice, like I think they're gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I can't wait to see where this goes and I can't wait to I I it'll be definitely, it will be so fun to wrap up this show.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I want to know because.
Speaker 2: I I do feel like to your point about the pacing like the fact that one they tell it, they let you know very early, like the magic is real. Two they let you they don't stretch it out in which we're trying to break the curse like four.
Speaker 1: Season, five seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like maybe it's happened or has it, and so I'm I'm really excited about it. Another thing that I love about this show is like, as a fan of improv comedy, there's this you know, there's a lot of local improv folks.
Speaker 4: Oh shouting, shout them out.
Speaker 2: Neil Casey, who plays Kurt the Innkeeper, is also a writer on the show. You know, Ben Rogers of Hollywood Handbook podcast is like the radio DJ. There's like a lot of these little pulls. Neil Casey, of course is one of the writers. Colton Dunn is another improviser and writer on the show. So it's just like wonderful in that way. It really feels like lived in and like a community in a very interesting way.
Speaker 3: That makes sense that you know, not like notice that, because I have felt like there's something this show gets about writing people and writing comedy and feeling organic but surreal and like real conversation you could have with your friends that other shows don't and that as an improv guy, that makes a lot of sense that they're kind of pulling from that space with Katie's background.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean what show. Guys, watch it. If you haven't watched that, you listen to this, go back and.
Speaker 3: Watch it and listen to it again, Like, come on, it's so good, it's it's it's gonna be a wonderful ride in the conversation.
Speaker 4: Of best TV shows of the year, no.
Speaker 2: Question forbus this and uh, you know, we'll figure it out task exactly, this will be. This will be up there on the next episode of Extra Vision. We're diving into Masters of the Universe. That's it for this episode than list thing.
Speaker 4: By the Power of Grace Goal.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator
Speaker 2: M.