Speaker 1: Glad it can be with us here on Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are and coming up in our final edition, before training camp, Buffalo's defense and where it is headed under Jim Leonard. How different will it look? Will the pass rush be its identity? And will there be a greater reliance on youth and athleticism. Steve will be given his last training camp quiz and we'll.
Speaker 2: Have our one burning question.
Speaker 1: It's time to report to camp. Welcome into Bills by the Numbers. He is Bill's Wall of Famer Steve Tasker on Bill's play by playman Chris Brown. And after focusing on the offensive outlook in our previous episode, we now take an overview of a defense that is undergoing its most significant change in a decade.
Speaker 2: That side of the.
Speaker 1: Ball has a new coordinator in Jim Leonard, and a new scheme comes along with him as the team moves to a three to four base front. There are also a lot of new faces, which tends to happen when there's a head coaching change. But where do you see this defense headed Steve under defensive coordinator Jim Leonard.
Speaker 2: It has it's needed a facelift at least, and I think I echo a little bit where Bills fans are at this point. I don't care what it looks like. We needed to play better. It has not been good enough. You've got a super Bowl caliber quarterback, You've got a super Bowl caliber offense, and you have had for more than a handful of years. And it's not for lack of trying. Brandon Bean and the scouting staff have made trades. They've brought in big name guys, they have drafted heavy defensively, They've tried to get as many playmakers as they can. When they get side of the ball, it has never come together. And so the defense is gonna look different. It needs to look different, and that may be in and of itself, will be enough to shake something loose that they can get some production consistently on that side of the ball. But for most Bills fans three four four three do not care. Get the ball back to Josh more often and get that other team off the field when you should be able to get him off the field. Yeah, as far as so, I agree with all of that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to focus more maybe on the tenor the demeanor, the style in which this defense is going to play under Jim Leonard, because based on all the indications we've gotten from Jim Lennard through the course of this offseason in press conferences, he wants a defense that plays with an edge that borders on physical intimidation, and he wants to dictate play to an opposing offense. I want to see that in action when we get to the regular season, taking into account that getting it all humming and working like a well oiled machine could take the first third of the season. Taking into account new scheme, new players, and young players that have less experience in this scheme than maybe some others, I believe that Jim Lennard is gonna be able to round this group into form where it's a defense that plays in a way that's gonna have offensive players looking over their shoulder, particularly receivers crossing the middle. So I welcome that because I think there wasn't enough of an edge on the defensive side of the ball. Not to say that the defense over the years hasn't been able to play physically and you know, bring the wood on occasion, but I think there is there is a thought that Jim Leonard wants his defense, putting in the heads of opposing offensive players that makes them cringe a little bit, maybe makes them turtle a little bit. I want to see that in action.
Speaker 2: That would be nice, no question about it, though. This shakeup on the defensive side has needed. They have tried everything, and you can go down the list from the list of players that are played on that side of the ball, the moves the general managers made on that side of the ball, the philosophies that have changed and evolved even under McDermott on that side of the ball.
Speaker 1: To your point, we do know Buffalo's defensive front needs to improve considerably from what it was last year. Yes, they were without two of their better pass rushers for most of the season and Michael Hoyt and At Oliver, but finishing twenty second in the league in total quarterback pressures with one hundred and twenty seven over eighteen games and twenty first in total sacks with thirty six is not a playoff caliber defense from a pass rush perspective. Couple that with the ranking of twenty eighth in run defense over one hundred and thirty six yards a game and thirtieth in yards allowed per rush attempt. At a fat five point one, and you understand why schematic ch changes were made. How different do you expect this defense to look to its previous iteration and where do you think the changes will be most notable?
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna I think it's going to be a vastly different defensive roster from top to bottom. There'll be some guys that Christian Benfort will be in there, Terrell Bernard will be in there taking reps at all. Hopefully at Oliver can stay on the field. Greg Russou and that's about where it ends. I mean, Cole Bishop is fairly new still, he's going to be one of the guys who you're going to be looking back. Okay, I recognize him. Gardner Johnson's going to be brand new, Michael Hoyt is still brand new, TJ Parker, TJ Sanders, Dwayne Carter. We don't know Cheb Bradley Chubb know nothing about these guys. I think the roster is going to be vastly different, let alone Davison, Igbinosen who may be cornerback too, Max Harriston. We barely got to know last year. The roster is going to be completely different. That coupled with a brand new defensive philosop and a new defensive coordinator. Yeah, I think it's going to be almost like you're watching somebody else's defense play for the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 1: There's a very good chance looking at last year starting eleven on defense to this year starting eleven on defense, you might have five or six different new players. Yeah in the starting eleven, right, which is that's a stark contrast from last year. But I think where this defense is going to be most noticeably different is in the volume of packages that Leonard deploys with a multitude of different players. People kind of in the first year of a defense say, well, hold on a second, you can't be that voluminous with your play call package and personnel packages in year one of a defense. But I think Leonard has so many different players at his disposal that he's going to want to get on the field in some capacity. Like Jalen Kilgore, for example, it is a six to two, two hundred and ten pounds safety slash nickel corner who runs a four to four if he's got it between the ears, and it sounds like he does. Having talked to him on a couple of occasions they're gonna want to get him on the field even though CJ. Gardner, Johnson and Cole Bishop might be your starting eleven starting safeties. So to that end, I think he's gonna have extra players at his disposal to use in a varied number of packages to make this defense more difficult to figure out.
Speaker 2: So I think there's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be people running on, running off based on down and distance, where you are on the field, time and score. I think that's where it's gonna be most notable. We're gonna say a number of different personnel packages because I think they're gonna want to get upwards of fifteen to sixteen eighteen different defensive players on the field through the course of a game.
Speaker 2: Right if you've got twenty four guys listed as defensive players on your fifty three man or forty seven man roster of game day roster game day roster, ninety percent of those guys going to state see snaps not Those last couple may be special teams eyes, but it seems like the entire what twenty two guys that they've got listed for defenders, they're all gonna get on the field. It feels now you may be right.
Speaker 1: Leonard has talked a lot about dictating play to the opponent, particularly when down in distance favors his unit. How likely is that that Buffalo's pass rush becomes the identity of this revamp well defensive unit, because they've been searching. They were searching for that the entire McDermott regime. I mean, you could argue that the pass rush has not been the identity of this defense since Jim Schwartz was running it and they led the league in sacks with fifty seven. That's correct, right, I mean you're talking upwards of a dozen years.
Speaker 2: That's what every defense wants for its defense. They want their pass rush to dominate the whole game, like we've seen a couple, you know, on occasion teams be able to do in a Super Bowl against Peyton Manning, the Legion of Boom last year, the Seattle Seahawks against the Patriots. That's the kind of defensive front you want to see. The Rams with Aaron Broncos the Broncos. So that's what you want to see in Everybody wants it, but it's hard to get without elite defenders. The Bills have yet to have anybody emerge as an elite defender in the defensive front or pass rush of this group. We saw moments of it last year with Michael Hoyton at Oliver thought, okay, we've got something. Have an elite edge guy and a defensive tackle who could really move some people, and we lasted a half a game. So that's the biggest question mark. This defense, when it was at its best under McDermott, was a turnover generator. That was their identity when they got to their first playoff game or their playoff run with Josh Allen in his second year in twenty nineteen, here's the problem that I see it, and I'm going to get back to this as a ton. The big question for this defense is, yeah, it's all nice to go out and dictate play, go out and blitz them and go after them and really attack them. The problem is the Bills consistently play a first play schedule. First play schedule. Quarterbacks aren't bothered by blitzes. They got a plan, they can beat it. In twenty seventeen, when the Bills were blitz happy and Sean mcdermal was, wow, this is great. They were playing a fourth they were playing a tenth place schedule. They were the worst team in football. They couldn't get in the playoffs, they stunk, and they played the bottom of the NFL. Yeah, you get away with it because those quarterbacks are struggling as bad as your quarterbacks that you were running through every three or four years during the drought. You were playing the fourth place schedule. Bills don't play fourth play schedules this year. This year they get a second place schedule. Guess what, So to the Chiefs, you got the Chiefs. So to the RAM, I mean, come on, you can dictate play like that defensive least, particularly without elite defenders against a fourth place schedule. You look at the Bill schedule this year. You think you're going to fool Matt Stafford out of in La at his home stadium. No, you gotta beat some guys one on one. Yeah, that's the big question mark for the Bills defense, right, And.
Speaker 1: I will that we haven't seen that, And I will dovetail off of that because I still harbor the concern that while you have accumulated more pass rushers than maybe you have in recent years, both young and inexperienced and proven, most notably TJ. Parker and Bradley Chubb in free agency. In this system, you still don't have a pass rusher whose game is predicated on speed. You don't have a quintessential speed rusher off the edge on this roster. Javon Solomon's a nice player, power rusher, Greg Russo power rusher, Bradley Chubb power rusher, TJ. Parker largely a power rusher. There is no speed element out there, and so I think Jim Leonard is going to have to find other pieces within his defense to create that speed and hurry up quarterbacks to the degree that he wants. So maybe it's a blitzing Dorian Williams, maybe it's a blitzing calebb Alarms, or maybe it's a blitzing safety or corner. But I think that's where the speed of the pass rush is gonna have to be manufactured from, because I don't see it in the primary skill sets of the primary pass rush.
Speaker 2: They have tried it a ton of ways. Leonard Floyd was in here, Von Miller was in here, and they had different players up front. Jordan Phillips is a power rusher. Tremade Edmonds was here, Poyer and not all these names have been churned through the Bill's defense, and while Poyer and Hyde were elite safeties together, they weren't pass rushers. And you know, you had a guy in here for one year who has been the only guy in the last six or seven have double digit sacks, and that was Leonard Floyd, right and a half twenty twenty half. He barely got there. It it's been a rough go.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this, knowing that because Floyd was the only double jude to sack season in the mcdermot'd era for nine years, do you believe there will be a top sack specialist on this roster who far and away leads the team in that category, or do you expect more of the same group effort apro.
Speaker 2: I think it's got to be more the same group unless t. J. Parker comes in and it's like, wow, this is Chubb has a career. Chub has a Chubb has some gas in the tank, and he finds himself in a culture that's like, wow, I can thrive in this. Or Michael Hoyt comes in and and gets out of the blocks a little bit faster than we thought he would and he has a strong second two thirds of the season. That kind of thing. Maybe, but that's all that's a coin flip. Yeah, I don't. I don't. I think it's going to be more of the same and hopefully a little better with a more aggressive philosophy and maybe better timed calls. I don't know, but I have Yeah, there's the only thing on this roster that says, well, maybe they got a chance is Ed Oliver and Michael Hoyt being able to recreate what they had for a short time last year and never got a chance to see it. And TJ. Parker is what he thinks, what the Bills think he is, and Bradley Chubb has some guests. But all of that, you start to mentioning all those names, Well, that's a lot of four names. That's four names already. So it's gonna be a group effort. Yeah. I think it's going to be a group effort as well.
Speaker 1: And then I think if you take it a step further, you say, well, how much are they going to be able to climb that team sack leaderboard in the league. They were twenty first last year with thirty six, as we mentioned, can they get ten more? Can they get twelve more? I think some of it's gonna have to do with getting teams in vulnerable positions, which means your run defense better be better on early downs to create those pans rush opportunities. And then if you look at the schedule, here are some mobile courts. They're facing a lot of mobile quarterbacks this year, Justin Herbert Drake, May, Lamar Jackson, c J. Stroud, Caleb Williams, Kyler Murray, Like, these are guys that flush out of the pocket and they're hard.
Speaker 2: To run down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if you're over two hundred and fifty pounds chasing one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think it is.
Speaker 1: Going to be more of a group effort going forward. Okay, knowing the previous regime was reluctant to put young players on the field in significant roles, how much do you anticipate the approach changing where young and athletic players are put on the field sooner rather than later, and in some cases immediately.
Speaker 2: We talk about this a lot on the Daily Show, and it's my thought that I think it will change in a very noticeable way. I think we're going to see a lot of young players on the field. I think we're I think it has to be that way on the day defensive side, they've got no choice. They got Davis nig Binosen and Max harriston those but those are both young players. You've got TJ. Parker, TJ. Sanders, TJ Sanders, Dackson, Dwayne Carter landon Jackson. All those guys are gonna be up there and they're gonna have to contribute. You're just not gonna get around it. Anither Way, Cole Bishop is still a young player. Yeah, third of year player Gardner Johnson, maybe he's a veteran. He may be in there and maybe he earns his spot. But Jalen Kilgore, uh is a great answer to that. And also from from last year, Jordan Hancock, great athlete. I'm so, I'm There's just no question the defense is going to be vastly different. It's gonna for those who are junkies about football, you're gonna notice it looks different upfront. But you're also if you're just a casual fan, you're gonna have to learn names and what those guys look like and what numbers they are. It's gonna be a vastly new roster.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I would, And since we're focusing this episode on the defensive side of the ball. I would agree with you, yes, because, for those that don't remember, last year, this defense collectively was agonizingly slow, lacking speed on the field to the point where they could not play man to man coverage on the back end with any kind of regularity.
Speaker 2: Across the board.
Speaker 1: Maybe you play man on one side with Benford and you zone off the other half of the field, But with Harston out of the lineup for most of the season, it was very hard for this team to play man to man coverage because Taron Johnson had lost a step and Tredavie is white. Though he had a nice, a good season, a renaissance season of sorts from where he had been the previous year and a half, the effectiveness of their man to man coverage was severely compro And so now when they got to the offseason, I think they made the ultimate determination whether they had changed the coaching staff or not. They had to turn the page. Matt Milano wrong side of thirty day, Kwon Jones wrong side of thirty, you know, And so they had to turn the roster over. And now the result is you have to rely on that youth to play significant roles here going forward, and I think we anticipate that to be the case, but I think there's also a willingness and a want to to hand it over to the younger players, believing that even if they don't recognize things maybe as quickly as a veteran might on the field, they're athleticism and God given speed may get them in positions to still make plays. And then as they learn through the course of the season that speed and athleticism will end up giving this defense.
Speaker 2: Far more rewards in the form.
Speaker 1: Of takeaways, forced fumble sacks, you know, batted passes, things of that, pass breakups. I think they see that the dividends will pay off, hopefully by the second half of the season, if not sooner, and then to take it a step further, even on offense, I can see this team leaning towards youth, provided it shows itself and reveals some encouraging potential. But they're not waiting on the Curtis Samuels of the world. I know he's not on this roster. I'm just using him as an example. They waited for two years for this guy to show up in some capacity on a regular basis. It never happened. They're not waiting on vets anymore so Joshua Palmer in year two. If he's on this fifty three man roster and he's not showing it in week one, two, three, or four, they will not waste a second on turning to Skyler Bell and say, hey, let's see what you got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, don't you think? I think that's the attitude going into training camp. I think Skyler Bell's in the mix because of his speed there. And this is also a staff most of the staff on offensively think about this. This train was really the train that they were on was really hamstrung by injuries and guys in and out of the lineup. Offensively, I think if you're the head coach now and you went through that as an offensive coordinator last year, I think the train leaves the station. The guys who are available and available consistently are the guys that are going to get on the field. We're not having you rotate in and out. Either you're available and you're ready to play, or you're getting left behind because our offense. The offense can't evolve during the season if you don't have guys involved in it every week.
Speaker 3: Now, it's musical chair as at receiver last year. So musical chairs, that's right. So when a guy's out here, let me just explain. If a guy gets is in there and he's humming along during training camp and they got everything under their belt and then he plays a couple of weeks. By the time that couple of weeks is over, defenses are starting to get a handle on who you are and what you're going to do. Now he's not there, that you start from scratch offense, you can't advance it offensively now because when the guys he comes back at now he comes back, Now, you're right where you were two weeks ago, and every defense has seen it. And that's and they got a plan for that. So the offense is is a living kind of vibrant thing, and it keeps moving and changing and on the fly. Even during games, they'll add a wrinkle or they'll say, hey, run it this way. It's that kind of stuff that's going on because of the advancement of the defenses. So when you get a guy that's in the in and out of the lineup, you become stagnant in a heartbeat, and because of that, you become predictable. And that's you know, that's suicide.
Speaker 2: And now it's harder for you to execute. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We pivot now to the numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on Bill's training camp history, Part two. Question number one, Joe Brady will hold his first training camp as head coach of the Bill this summer. How many different head coaches have overseen a Bill's training camp at Saint John Fisher prior to Joe Brady?
Speaker 2: Give me the number of coaches McDermott daily, Jerron Wade, n Wade, uh, Greg, Greg Williams. Let me say five.
Speaker 1: The answer is eighth. Wade. You did not say Malarky. You also forgot Rex Ryan, Oh my gosh, and your favorite.
Speaker 2: Of mine, Doug Moron. Oh boy, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eight coaches have run training camps at Saint John Fisher.
Speaker 2: Joe Brady will be the ninth. Wow.
Speaker 1: Question number two, how many quarterbacks can you name who were part of training camp competitions for the starting quarterback job Saint John Fisher's or the Bills.
Speaker 2: That is, so, how many can I name? Yeah? Just start rattling off names. Cobb, Yes, Kevin Cobb. He starts with Cobb, Johnson, Rob Johns, yep, Emanuel manual ej.
Speaker 1: Manuel fit Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yes, Bledsoe, well, Bledsoe was a starter. He was never in a competition.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he doesn't count. Let's see how many is that seven? Uh? I got to name the guys they were in competition with, probably yes, Van Pelt, No, he was, he was a backup. There are some drafted quarterbacks here. You're not mentioning by the Bills you mentioned j Yeah, yeah, kid from two lane? What's his name? Name it? What's his name? The kid from too Oh? You know it's Steve? I know. Come on, spin through that roll of dex up there. Let's see man use that front. I've moved past what's his name? There was another draft choice? Yeah, third round pick Edwards Trent Edwards. Yea, and uh, guys, the the way I remember him is not airworthy. I can't remember JP Losman, J. P. Lossman.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's all I got. Okay, So here are your others. Kelly Holcombe, Okay, that's a good one. Craignall, Yeah, that that you may have that, and then you have like a movie character.
Speaker 2: I don't even know that.
Speaker 1: Tyrod Taylor, oh, Trod, Yeah, Tyron Yeah, Matt Castle that's a good one. Nathan Peterman, Oh yeah, another draft choice in a competition in twenty eighteen the competition who the competition was? Josh Allen is a rookie, Nathan Peterman is a second year and a j McCarron. Yay ah dark think about where we were, buddy, all right? Question number three? What two players got into a scuffle during a training camp practice when one of the players shove Fred Jackson from behind in the back, sending him sliding to the turf at the end of a run play in eleven on eleven and I will give you a hint. Even though he was not part of the two players scuffle, Eric Wood was heard saying to the defensive player, quote, maybe you should give back some of that bonus money you ain't earned. Who were the two players in that scuffle?
Speaker 2: Fred Jackson?
Speaker 1: So I'm Fred Jackson got shoved in the back and slid to the turf and then two players started fighting each other?
Speaker 2: Was it Tako or was it Kio?
Speaker 1: Was not there anymore? This is two thousand and nine?
Speaker 2: Was this? Uh okay? Two thousand and nine? That's post okay? Two defensive players to an offensive two players?
Speaker 1: So who would typically come to the defense of a skill position player. Right, Well, so it's an offensive lineman, but it is not Eric.
Speaker 2: Wool I would say, probably it wasn't Wyatt Teller either. No, he's not there yet. I'd say, Oh, man, who would it be on the offensive line? What year was it to two thousand and nine? Oh?
Speaker 1: Boy, So it's a veteran center that was signed as a free agent because Eric Wood was playing guard that years or I would never.
Speaker 2: Get that guy. The defensive player had to shoved, Fred had to be It's a classic London Fletcher.
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna say, it's a classic Bills bust of a draft pick.
Speaker 2: Oh Mabon, Aaron Mabon and Jeff Handgardener. Yeah, Jeff Handgarden. I wouldn't have gotten I could picture him, but I couldn't have got his name. Mab Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then question four, All right, what Bill's draft choice never suited up and played in a game for the Bills because he suffered a torn acl in a training camp practice as a rookie and was part of a trade the following off season with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, what year was that? Twenty fifteen? Was I alive in twenty fifteen, you were let me think.
Speaker 1: And we had this as part of a training camp coverage segment where you audibly hear other players shouting trainer after the play because it was that bad second round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hold on a minute dB out of Alabama linebacker. Oh yeah, I know who it is. I know who it is.
Speaker 1: And the initials. Do you need the initials?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Go ahead, r R Reggie Raglan, Reggie Raglan. He's the guy. They give him enough clues and nail it. Rex swore that guy was going to be the defensive rookie of the year. Yep.
Speaker 1: I think he only lasted three or four years in the league after he got traded to Kansas City Tour Tour his acl uh.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 1: Now for our one burning question. If you had to pick a player on defense entering year two or less in the NFL that you believe could break out in a big way for the Bills, who would it be. We saw Cole Bishop do it last year in year two. Who is your ideal candidate for such a breakout this season on defense?
Speaker 2: Steve, I had not not thought about this for the youngsters.
Speaker 1: Year two or less, So you're looking at last year's draft class and this year.
Speaker 2: For all intents, I was putting I was I didn't. I read the script, but I didn't. I didn't read it as closely as I should have. I didn't do your homework picking a player. I was picking just a regular player, not a two second year or less. All Right, here we go. I gotta say, I'm gonna go back to my gut feeling. I've been talking about this on the Daily Show. Davison picked him again. I like the guy. I'm it's because of the way he got there, the way he plays, the guy he is. His physical is build his numbers and the spot that is kind of like.
Speaker 1: Up for grabs in between two very young players, very young players, Harrison and.
Speaker 2: And he was drafted by this defensive staff. Okay, I am going to go with t J.
Speaker 1: Sanders. I think he is better suited for a three four front. He'll play that end position, and I think he will be a more productive player than people realize, and so he will be my pick for a breakout candidate eight two years in the league or less. On Buffalo's defense, our closing figure takes a look at the Bill's blitz rate over the past nine seasons during the Sean McDermott era, the Bills went from a heavy blitz team to one of the lower blitzing teams in the league. In twenty seventeen, the Bills were the fourth highest blitzing team in football at just over thirty eight percent, and for the four seasons that followed, the Bill stayed in the top half of the league when it came to blitzing. But since twenty twenty two, Buffalo blitzed at a rate of just twenty one percent, a seventeen percent dropped from twenty seventeen. Last season, the Bills had the fifth lowest blitz rate in the league at just nineteen percent. What should we expect from Jim Leonard's crew If Denver serves as any indication, it's likely to be higher. Over the past two seasons, the Broncos blitz did a rate at twenty nine and a half percent and twenty eight and a half percent to rank seventh and sixth in the league in blitz frequency.
Speaker 2: Without defenders, it's hard to take chances up front by blitzing, particularly when you're playing a first play schedule like the Bills. Did you talk about twenty twenty two. That was after they started when Josh emerged in twenty twenty, they started playing. After twenty twenty, they started playing that first place schedule and Presto Chaninjo. You know, they start playing quarterbacks who can handle pressure. That's the issue if they It's hard to do when you don't have elite defenders, even against good quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: So the only way you work around that is you're gonna have to create situations where blitzing becomes an option for your defense play caller, and that means you gotta stone them on first and second down.
Speaker 2: You got to catch the quarterback off guard, particularly good ones, and that's really hard to do. That'll do it for this edition.
Speaker 1: Make sure you subscribe to Bills by the Numbers so you know what our next episode is out, because when you need to know about the bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers For Steve Tasker on Chris Brown, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Well, catch you next time. Everybody,