Speaker 1: It's almost drafted and everyone's got an idea of what their team needs. And if you're looking to give your team a winning season, you need the new twenty twenty two Chevy Silverado from the popular LT model all the way up to the top of.
Speaker 2: The line high Country.
Speaker 1: These new twenty twenty two Chevy Silverado's have redesigned interior which gives the cabin a spacious and more premium feel. Available in thirteen point four inch diagonal touchscreen, Silverado also offers a twelve point three inch we configuration drive information Center for new levels of personalization. Strap on the cleats and get off road in Chevy's most capable off road pickup, the first ever Silverado's ZR two next level off road capability right from the factory with multi matic DSSV dampers for more suspension travel, front and rear electric locking differentials to ensure that max power goes to all wheels. Aggressive off road cut, off road cut front bumper and large underbody skid played Severado is as strong and dependable as the people who drive them. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to yet another episode of Busting Spring Tour. We are at the University of Tennessee. Brought to you by the most durable, reliable vehicle on the road. Today another episode with coach k Ekler Eckler Ac Ecklers that you go by Ak, you go by go By and you guys know each other really well, let's give a give a renal flash for the boy.
Speaker 2: Electric to have you on the podcast. Listen.
Speaker 1: So when were first We're kind of just sitting here, Mosy Rampson small talk words about being a secondary re black belt was thrown around, and I know a lot of people like to lie about that.
Speaker 2: Is this true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. That's true. When I was younger, I delved in that. Yes, I was. You know, I think I quit when I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: Are we talking in high school? Your second degree black belt in high school?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, you were being the ship out of kids then, well a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, at some point when you.
Speaker 1: Started getting you know, that kind of skilled, that kind of expertise in the karate world, was there a point where you're like your sense a was like, hey, you can't be using this in other kids.
Speaker 4: Most definitely, you know, you know the old cong Fu movies' you know where the guys like go and rip out some of his heart, take a bite out and stuff.
Speaker 3: That was kind of that's kind of stuff I was kind of into.
Speaker 5: So, so some context before you get into it. Ex recruited me out of high school. We spent three years together before he dipped on us and went to the University of Indiana.
Speaker 2: Disgusting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tears in his eyes, tears in all the backer's eyes when he tells us bull practice that he's.
Speaker 2: Leaving and going to coach Indiana.
Speaker 5: It was hartbat before you guys even played the ball game, before we played the ball game.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you love your players?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Big time?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And these ones just weren't good enough for you. You had to go to Indiana.
Speaker 4: I just had a room full of NFL linebackers. I was like, shoot, man, I've done all I can do there.
Speaker 3: You had the real deal filled. Well, you had your boy Compto in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we had like, shoot, that was about seven linebackers that ended up playing in the league.
Speaker 2: We will ring up to like a Levante David.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, I think he really taught levant to everything he knows.
Speaker 2: I could see that, dude, So I break my foot, remember that, hold.
Speaker 3: On, hold on? I want to tell the I want to tell the story.
Speaker 2: You'll enjoy us.
Speaker 4: So we just get to Nebraska and the first person that our head coach, bo Plane he went out to see was this guy right here. He and Tom Osborne actually went to bond Tera, Missouri. He comes back and he says, hey, listen, I don't care if we signed one guy in this class. We're building our defense around built William William Earl Compton hand on a Bible. He said, we're building our defense around will Compton. I don't care if we signed one guy. So I'm like, yeah, this is easy. It's a layup man and he's already been committed forever. So I go see him, go to his house, meet meet mom and dad, and go in look at his room, Nebraska all over everything in there. Go to school, okay, meet him his best friend at the time in high school, Logan and a young lady named Anna, and they take me around, take me around school. We had a freaking blast. He takes me into this class and he's like, hey, you got.
Speaker 3: To see this video. He has a video, and I don't know. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Get you in any trouble. I say whatever you want statue of limitations. All righty, probably up. But he had built a sparkler bomb and and he's like, what listen to this?
Speaker 3: And he shows me his bomb.
Speaker 4: Goes off right, and show coach no, well and then like car alarms are going off.
Speaker 5: He measured it measured bigger than a stick of dynamite. The explosion cops came to the house. How did you know it measured bigger than a stick of dynamite Because they're they're a meter or some radar thing went off to where if an explosion happens, it goes like beyond like a stick of dynamite. That's why they get the call and go wherever the location is. Really, yeah, it was nuts. We were so high. But obviously when the cops came, you're like, oh shit. But we had this sparkler bomb that we wrapped with electrical tape, cut off all the bottoms of the sparklers, and I'm talking spent hours wrapping it with electrical tape. Then you leave one sparkler out air tight, air tight, that one sparkle that sticks out, you light it, it sat it gave a delay like you didn't know if it was going to happen. Or not, and then I'm talking monster. It was insane, but yeah, apparently I'm fired up. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: So anyhow, so we go in. The principal says, hey, just take my office. We're sitting in there, the four of us just cutting it up and Will I got to leave. So I walk out to my car. Will walks out. He goes, hey, yea, I co check. I just want to let you know. You know, I appreciate your recruiting me and everything, but I'm not coming to Nebraska.
Speaker 3: You said that. Oh yeah, and oh it gets better. There's a coaching change, he said. He goes listening.
Speaker 4: He said, last game I went to there, they played Southern cal and got beat by fifty.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not coming.
Speaker 2: It was, he said, I don't know it was. I wasn't I'm not coming.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: You said I'm not coming, And he said, I just haven't decommitted yet.
Speaker 5: They're shut to that. I'm just talking about the facial expression. And you're on camera right now and you're looking I look like some asshole. Well you you're super confident, Like how do you probably talk now? Like, hey, listen, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I'm probably not going to come here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But does it sound like me to be like, hey, you guys just got fifty hung up on you by the USC like I'm not coming.
Speaker 2: Sound like him?
Speaker 1: Maybe the words, but words I haven't feeling have more meaning. The way you're saying makes it seem like Will was.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: So I get in my car in my phone rings and it's the head ball coach bow pointing and he's like, hey, act man, how did.
Speaker 3: It go with Compto? And I'm like, bose bose Italian you got a little bit of a temper now.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: That Italian thing has really been a deal here on the team.
Speaker 3: Huh. So, So he's like, how did it go with Compto?
Speaker 4: And that split second, I paused for a second, I thought, and I said, do you know what boat?
Speaker 3: It went? Awesome? Man? Ship? Oh yeah, true story.
Speaker 2: It was his ex first linebacker job.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And he's like that's awesome.
Speaker 4: He goes again, Man, that's that's my guy, And so I'm like, oh, Ship, And.
Speaker 3: So then I got this guy, gave me my PhD.
Speaker 4: In recruiting, I figured out his mom and dad wanted him to come to school there, all right, but they were like we're letting it up, leaving it up to him. Okay, Well, the two people that he was leaning on, right, we're Logan and Anna, and so.
Speaker 1: Guess what, hey, Logan colic book.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so guess what.
Speaker 4: I stopped recruiting this guy and I recruited those two.
Speaker 2: You're lying, no true story.
Speaker 3: So Logan ends up coming to Lincoln a brows.
Speaker 2: He gets them both jobs. I did not.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's nothing that can happen. I would tell this story if it's me and you send on the bus.
Speaker 3: No, not get them both jobs.
Speaker 2: Doesn't get them jobs.
Speaker 5: Get some get some interviews, interviews until you know, right, yeah, yeah, they shake hands, they go through the interview process, they kill it.
Speaker 2: They're the best candidates for the job they end up getting.
Speaker 5: Logan gets a radio gig and it gets a gig at Victoria ccmy and.
Speaker 6: So anyhow while hey, so then so then we're recruiting. We're still recruiting. Well this is after the fact, right, So we skipped a few layers here.
Speaker 4: So as we're going through recruiting, we had one last shot to go to this house, right, so the whole staff was going to fly in there.
Speaker 3: We fly in that's when I snuck away.
Speaker 4: In Lincoln, at about three blocks from the stadium, there was a tattoo parlor. You know a little something about it looks like yeah, yeah, a little bit. And so I got this. I got this tattoo right on my bicep of black shirts, the skull and.
Speaker 3: Crossbone, and it's a compton in old English.
Speaker 4: And it was like it was a two week temporary tattoo, and it looked real. I didn't tell anybody. So I go in, We go into the whole staff goes to the house. I invited all his friends over. We had a freaking party in boom Tair, Missouri point at bonn Terra.
Speaker 2: Yeah and Willis friends oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, so we have a great time. So we're getting ready to leave, and this is our last shot. He was going to decide like two days later. So I look his dad.
Speaker 3: Sitting on a lazy boy and he's sitting.
Speaker 4: Back there and you know what, Will I said before I leave, I wanted to show you something. I got a little something before I left Lincoln to remind me every time I look in the mirror, if you don't come to university and brask you're making the biggest mistake of your life. And so I pull up my shirt and it's that tattoo and your dad was like, boy, that's.
Speaker 2: The test I'm getting right there. Yeah, so real. It was like you just kind of looked at that. Holy shit. You didn't know if it was like creepy or like, oh, it's pretty dope.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they did. He left the house that night. I was like, that is where I want to go because I wasn't going to go there. It was like a it was a coaching change here. We talked about with coach Bo. They went through like coaching changes and everything, and they didn't have a good year at all. And Miszoo and Illinois were both Illinois and the Rose Bowl. Miszoo had a really good year and went to like the Album Bowl or something. They had an awesome year and that in state pressure and stuff. But yeah, Ack was His tactics were fun.
Speaker 2: They're funny. Oh he was going through your head when he first pulled it off. You thought it was a little creepy. Yeah, but I he was like that from the get go.
Speaker 5: Our first phone conversation, yeah, our first phone conversation was he calls me up He's like, Will Compton, greatest linebacker in the country, and I kind of chuckle. I'm like, uh yeah, hello. He's like, this is coach Mike Eckler. I'm the new linebacker coach for the University of Nebraska.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be your coach. All nice to meet you, coach.
Speaker 5: Listen, man, if you don't come here, I told my two little girls, because you had two at the time, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had three kiddos, JJ and oh yeah JJJJ and the two girls.
Speaker 5: He goes, I have my three kiddos, and I told them, if you don't come to the University of Nebraska, I'm gonna climb up to Memorial Stadium and jump, and then they're not gonna have a father anymore.
Speaker 2: That was our first interaction.
Speaker 3: True story, True story.
Speaker 2: You still you're proud of that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know I said it with you know, with those.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I said it with those voices, but uh, what did you say to that?
Speaker 2: I laughed?
Speaker 5: And then you know, just you're kind of like you're on the phone from recruiting and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You're just like, fuck, like, who is this dude? Type of thing?
Speaker 5: But they came from l s U Bo Bolini had the number one defense that like they had the number one defense at L s U for you know, two three years in a row type of thing, national championships and so like them coming on like defensively like they were they were the dudes, and uh, I just wasn't like feeling Nebraska anymore. He was even telling me he want to go to LSU. I'll get you an offered L s U. Probably think like, fuck, I want you to go to L s U. I was like, oh man, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: How you told them that? No, I did not, Yeah you did.
Speaker 3: Come on man, no, but yeah that is not true.
Speaker 2: You're making up.
Speaker 3: And it's real.
Speaker 2: That's a true. I went to Nebraska. We're boys, Like we're on buzzle with the boys right now. But yeah, that's how it works man.
Speaker 5: And even like even in college, you'd have the recruits, the recruiting visits we go to like Famous Daves Ac would always soak up everybody with as much food as possible because that's when you could like give food.
Speaker 2: That's when players can have food when you go to those dinners.
Speaker 5: Yeah, occasional meals, and that would hook it up big time at one time bought a huge RV.
Speaker 2: Him and his family went to get an RV. They had a temperpeding mattress in it.
Speaker 5: X sells it to me because he can't give it to me because it's the rules, against the rules.
Speaker 2: X sells it to me for one dollar. I'm moving, we move in our new house, and I need a bet. He's like, hey, I got this temper pedic, Like, listen, I can't give it to y'all. Sell it to you. We'll talk, you know, we'll talk price down the road. He gets the where he delivers to the house.
Speaker 3: Because j J pte on it, man, but sells it to me for a dollar.
Speaker 5: But uh, EQ was all time man. It did suck when he left, but there's a lot of awesome memories. He talks about building the defense until Lavonte David showed up. Mind you broke my foot came back in eight weeks. I was the starter, no job to be had when I came back. Really, yeah, no one talked to me. No one said, hey, this is Levante's show. Now you kind of knew what the deal was. After Game one, Levonte David had like thirteen tackles, was.
Speaker 2: Actually had twenty he was killing dudes. He had twenty seven against us and was an eleven or twelve. Yeah, remember a mission there when we went to the Big ten though, you know, no, I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I watched that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Levante had like twenty seven tackles, twenty seven, but Leavonte had like twenty tackles blocking.
Speaker 2: Listen, I probably tried it.
Speaker 5: Sounds like he's like savage bro and he had so many busts that game. But you just knew, like, oh, this dude is fucking legit. But I came back there was no job to be had.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was Levonte's gig after that. But that yeah, yeah, that was never talked ever. E never sat me down and told me it was tough. But that's part of the gig, right, Like that's how you can get but.
Speaker 2: You still play. What do you mean there's no job. He just took your jobs job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We we played dime most of the time because the spread offense in the Big Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so we're in dime most of the time. So we're running one line.
Speaker 5: And Bo never trusted a I can linebacker to cover tight ends and ship like that.
Speaker 2: Just never did for whatever reason, and.
Speaker 5: So Leavante's would be the lone backer of me and Fish and we'd all be just chilling on the sideline. Actually, he always has the I mean you see, he has the most positive energy.
Speaker 2: Of all time.
Speaker 5: You do, you have fire energy. There's gonna be there's another story I was thinking of, Hey, I'll tell you another another cool story. So I leave right and I go to Indiana and.
Speaker 2: I call Will up. We're getting ready to play.
Speaker 4: I think it was Michigan State, and yeah it was. I put him on speakerphone and he's in the defensive staff. I'm in the defensive staff and I and long story short, his freaking breakdown he did as a player was more extensive than the breakdown I did as a defensive coordinator. I mean he was rattling off all this stuff and I'm sitting out the notes and I'm like, the son of a gun, I missed that, man, And I mean it was it was pretty darn impressive.
Speaker 2: How do you think will it be as a coach?
Speaker 3: Oh? He'd kill it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, future head coach.
Speaker 3: Oh, big time. Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that you.
Speaker 5: I do. I would enjoy coaching for sure. It's just just seems like a lot of fucking work. I mean, you've been at several places. Of all the places you've been to, and we can leave Tennessee out of it. If you're just gonna give the blanket answer like, oh, I love Tennessee. Obviously you're wearing orange right now. But you've been the USC, Georgia, Nebraska, Indiana, LSU, where else.
Speaker 2: Some hitters, Oklahoma, North Carolina.
Speaker 5: What's like, what which of those schools you think had the best like college experience?
Speaker 4: Wow, I mean that's that's a tough one. I mean they're all unique in their own way. I mean, I'm sure you had an unbelievable time Michigan, great time. I know you had a great time in Nebraska. I think I think just where you're at at that time with those people, I mean, all of them are cool.
Speaker 3: I mean college football.
Speaker 2: Well, you're gonna need I'm gonna need. I just don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you really want the legit answer, I've never seen anything like this place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tennessee's out of it.
Speaker 5: Tennessee's Tennessee is Tennessee is an awesome fucking.
Speaker 2: We've loved it here. But you've been in so many spots, like I'm just curious, like.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say this, Nebraska was probably the most unique, Like legitimately, everybody in that whole state knew everything about you and your family.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about as a linebacker coach.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was like it was like you're rock star and you got you got that kind of treatment wherever you went.
Speaker 3: So that was that was pretty unique.
Speaker 1: When that stuff happens and everybody in the whole state knows everything about you. Do you think it is that making your job a little bit harder because you know everyone's watching everything you do, and if you don't have the success that you guys want to have, does that make kind of make it everything feel a little heavier now?
Speaker 4: It kind of goes back to a question that your dad asked me way back when when I was recruiting you. He said, you know, you guys must be under a lot of pressure, you know, to restore you know, at that time, Nebraska football and this and that. And I said, you know what I said, you don't know how much pressure were under that much?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And here's why, said, because there's no pressure that any fan, any media, anybody could ever put on you as a coach more than what you put on yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I don't even listen to that.
Speaker 2: I don't read any of it.
Speaker 3: I don't think about it.
Speaker 4: You know, as a coach, you expect to win every single game, and if you don't, you know, it crushes you. You don't remember the ones you win, you the ones that you lose. It's like the fear of losing. Man, that's what drives you. The fear of not being prepared. And that's just kind of how I'm wired.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 5: Literally what we're witnessing with, Like this is him at all times. He's a glass at full always. A story that always jumps out of me. Was the time that I had a shoulder surgery. Oh yeah, I puked all over his house from having shoulders?
Speaker 2: Remember that story? Yeah yeah, I had a lab room surgery.
Speaker 5: And you're not like, again, I'm not trying to say all the stories if you've been bending rules or anything like that, but like you know, your family, nobody's there to like help you out on the first night, right, well, like we're in dorm rooms and uh X, like, oh, you come to stay at my house, like you know, I'll make sure you get all the right stuff and stuff like that, so I'm like sleeping. At first, I started in JJ's bed and it was so uncomfortable, like trying to lay on my back from shoulder surgery, that I go down to a chair downstairs. They set me up downstairs, like all right, are you good and all this stuff, and I had, you know, I was drugged up and everything.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I'm good right now. Yeah, yeah, that nerve block. That nerve block had worn off yet. And I had pasta that night.
Speaker 5: I could hooked me up with like pasta and stuff at the at the cafeteria and everybody goes to bed and I'm sitting there and the nerve block wears off.
Speaker 3: I'm upstairs.
Speaker 4: All I hear is hack and then I hear him all over.
Speaker 2: We had to wake him up. Oh yeah, over the wall he can pointed down. I tried getting to uh. I tried getting to the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I tried rushing the bathroom because I felt it coming up, and I got like half on the rug and half on the half on the hardwood, and then some on the wall. And I just sat there and I tried cleaning it up by myself before I had to ask for help because I'm like Holy shit, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my coach's house, Like I don't know his family really, like they're super nice, but I don't know anybody. So I'm like trying to get paper towels and I'm trying to like bend down, and I am in so much pain from this nerve block work.
Speaker 2: Now do you still from the food or from how much pain you're in.
Speaker 5: I've probably a combination of all of it, Like the drugs, the nerve block wears off, you're having food, all that stuff, and uh, I go and like look in the mirror and I just have puke all over myself and I just stare at myself.
Speaker 2: Like God, you piece of shit, dude. You got to figure this out.
Speaker 5: And I couldn't figure it out. Yeah, to where there's like tears of my eyes. I'm in so much pain. So I go up and that's where he's like, I'm like eck, and he doesn't. He's sleeping and his wife's like, will honey, do you need something? I was like, oh, I go, yeah, can you get coach egg? And that comes He's like, well, what's wrong?
Speaker 2: Am?
Speaker 3: I go?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm so sorry?
Speaker 5: I just I puked everywhere downstairs, he's Oh, man, I don't envy where you're at. He comes down, cleans it all up. But that's just like that's like a story of coach coach eck and eyes like relationship like he's always an amazing relationship.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, is your relationship like this with all players or a select field?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be a select few. Really, I mean, you know there's some first guy ever recruited.
Speaker 4: I mean, and just going back to like those stories and family, I mean, I absolutely love his family. I mean, just there, we go back a long way. We broke a lot of huddles together.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 5: How do you feel like you've changed from that first year at Nebraska and developed as a coach, Like over the years, because you've been at a lot of different stops, You've had linebacker rooms, you've been a coordinator special teams. Now, how do you feel like you've developed as far as like owning your own rooms.
Speaker 4: When you first start out, you just don't have a lot of experience to draw from, and like, as a coach, you know, you don't know what you don't know obviously, And so if I could go back now and coach you for twenty years of experience that I have, I mean, and be totally different. So I think you just gain a lot more confidence, a lot more knowledge, and you really study the game. Because let's be honest, in football right now, in particular in college football, I'll just say it. I mean, there's a lot of quote unquote recruiters out there who can't coach freaking dead in the Western Man.
Speaker 3: And that's just the truth. And that's true.
Speaker 4: That's pretty funny, but that's true, you know. And and the thing about it is, I've come up with this in twenty years of coaching. I tell our guys, like when I first got here, I told them this, I said, wells, it's my job to earn your respect.
Speaker 3: And so let me be clear about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, what I mean now is if I can't teach you and develop you into the best player you can be, I'm worthless to you. You don't need some nine year old friend, you need a mentor, you need a coach. Somebody's going to help develop you, right. So the next thing, it's my job to earn your trust. And when I say earn your trust, now, that happens over time, happens in the fourth quarter when you're playing and you know they shit, it's a fan and Mike going point a finger, mikeing point of thumb.
Speaker 3: Are we in this together? Or we in it together? And then the.
Speaker 4: Third thing once you got those two, which take time, once you got and then the third thing is once you figure out they actually care about you, I actually love you. Now we got something. But that's kind of like, really what's going on here at Tennessee? Like our players, we came in here and that's what we had to do. Those those things, we had to earn their respect, We had to earn their trust.
Speaker 3: And now it's freaking gravy. It's it's time right now with those kids.
Speaker 4: Our players know that we absolutely love them, and they trust us and they know we can develop them. And so now now you're going to see some great things continue to happen here.
Speaker 2: When is uh Tennessee coming back to prominence?
Speaker 3: When Yeah, what's today's date?
Speaker 2: Hey Jack? Did you Jack? Look at Jack claughing? Shall we?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We shall? But hold on, I want to hit that real quick. Okay, Okay, I got to tell you. I got to tell you one.
Speaker 3: I got to tell you one funny story though, all right.
Speaker 4: About so so a yeah, so so I'm I'm coaching and coaching at North Carolina had a linebacker that reminded me of a lot of Will the Thrill, all right, and so so anyhow, Cole hol comes his name.
Speaker 3: So it's two weeks before the draft, and were you were.
Speaker 4: You were playing for the Titans at the time, right, And because you were not with Washington anymore. So I get a call from Rob Ryan and phone. You know, the number doesn't isn't in my phone just pops up. He goes, Hey this Rob Ryan, And I said, coach, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Doing great?
Speaker 4: He just wanted to ask you about one of your former linebackers, Cole Holcome blah blah blah. And I said, coach, listen, I don't know you, but I kind of feel like I do a little bit. You like to go out and have a couple of drinks, right, You like to maybe go out and have a couple of smokes.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the draft him.
Speaker 4: You'll get a genius because when you go into your meeting room, you can tell him exactly what you want, and you can go out to practice and smoke two packs a day. Man, he will be the second smartest player in the NFL behind Will Compton.
Speaker 3: True story, Dan.
Speaker 2: He coachecks my hype man if a speech.
Speaker 3: It's truth.
Speaker 2: It's too I know, I know, but he's been throwing a lot off this moment.
Speaker 1: It's an observation. I appreciate that coach special. I'm enjoying not even being a part of the spot. I'm liking just kind of in this little triangle of love right now. It's kind of like we just want to hug or something like it's I kind of want that you.
Speaker 5: We have our Duke Cannon question Canon, Duke Cannon not for clowns, Taylor, you're seeing him. He's he's holding the anti purse print theodoran Did I say that right? Antist first plus Theodor? We also got the dry ice on the table. We got a couple of loaches there. We're gonna hook you up with our nil deal, which is a Duke Cannon military bullet case full of goodies.
Speaker 2: And again not for clowns.
Speaker 5: But this segment is brought to us by the one and only Do Cannon. My question would be the same as the other coaches, like I need a recruiting story, not a Will Compton one.
Speaker 2: We've done enough. Will Compton stories.
Speaker 5: What is a recruiting story out there that's been like unique, Some that you tell all the time, some you tell often.
Speaker 2: Because I was there, recruiting stories of me are.
Speaker 3: The best, and I got a ton of funny recruiting stories.
Speaker 4: One I was coaching out at Southern cal and we have this big camp coming all right, and.
Speaker 3: We got all these guys from all over the country.
Speaker 4: We have Leonard Fournet, is that atte Leonard Fournette and Delvin Cook.
Speaker 2: They were there.
Speaker 3: Then we have this skinny linebacker from San Diego who's just locking.
Speaker 4: Everybody down, and he had no offers, right, And so I tell coach oh, and tell Lane, like, look, it's that I love this kid man.
Speaker 3: He's got great balance, great body control.
Speaker 4: He freaking locking down these guys, and and it said, I think we should offer him. They're like, well, who's offering it's nobody, and you know, and then I get from the coach.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not the USC winback.
Speaker 3: Who looks like, understand me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, that's fine, but I think he's pretty damn good. So we end up offering this guy, right, and we're the first offer him, and he ends up having another only one other offer, I believe at the end of it all.
Speaker 3: But it was Fred Warner. Really yeah, really yeah, pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Hey, stud, he is a stud bro.
Speaker 4: He was like six two, one hundred and ninety five pounds at that camp, and I was like, son of a gun man.
Speaker 2: He was. He was pretty impressive and he played at USC.
Speaker 4: No, No, he actually went we got let go of that year. That's then I went over to Georgia, but he went to b y U.
Speaker 2: That was that's right, that's right. Yeah, Yeah, he is a study.
Speaker 5: He's a beast. I was bloss was here to just enjoy. Yeah, he was like he was active and playing in the game. You guys play, right, Like do you have like when you guys are bringing him down a film? Is he like the dude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a guy. You know how Vrabel's meetings are. When we do.
Speaker 1: Like a Friday tape or something like that, it's kind of like, hey, if you just if you blow fifty four, you're gonna be all right. But you know the forty nine ers defense, they have studs across the ball on the other defensive line.
Speaker 5: He's unbelievable, and I think they had Sherman then too, Richard Sherman. Oh, in the night he was in the Niners that last year was he? I thought he was on the buck when he went to the Bucks. He was a nice year before. But yeah, he's He's.
Speaker 2: One of those dudes that like very efficient in his movement too. Yeah, very efficient in his movement.
Speaker 4: When I was coaching Nebraska, when I was recruiting down at Compton out in LA and I go into school, go see this young man and go out after school school that just just broke. I'm in a Mustang convertible cop down, top down and get right outside school. Freaking gang fight breaks out right in front of me. Police cars surrounded me. I was pretty wild. That was Hayes Polard. I was recruiting too. God, were you just scared shitless?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I put my top up. Though.
Speaker 2: Is it always intimidating going into like those rough areas?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if i'd say intimidating. I mean, nobody ever really messages with the coach. I went into it at school when I was in Nebraska and I was down in Houston, right across Houston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I go into the school right end, I'm going in to see the quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I'm walking in and right as I'm walking in, the police cars are all around, and they're they're coming out with this guy and I stretcher and rolling him out. He'd just been shot. And so you know, they let me still go in and see this kid. And so I called Bo on the way back, and he said, well, how did it go? And I said, well, good news, bad news, man, I said, bad news is I went. I went into school and they were wheeling somebody out just shot. Said good news, wasn't a quarterback?
Speaker 2: That's outstanding.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting here thinking like, if you're rolling up in a rough area, you gotta be careful. Like if you're if you're a coach in Nebraska, you probably gotta be careful wearing red.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh for real, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just walk We had Nebraska on there or something like that.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: You gotta get with the black. If you're an Nebraska coach, then you're.
Speaker 1: Rolling up in an area that might identify with color T shirts.
Speaker 3: You know, get away with it though, Because I'm light, skinn Jamaican.
Speaker 2: Say that, bro, You're not Jamaican.
Speaker 3: Bro, I'm dual citizen. That's fact.
Speaker 2: Is that an actual fact? You always spoke around about that.
Speaker 3: No, it's a fact. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't mess around with your heritage from Bontaire, Missouri.
Speaker 3: So I don't appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Step on toes. Well, I'm with you. We're just I'm just trying to be on your side right now.
Speaker 3: Appreciate.
Speaker 2: I don't believe you, but I'm gonna be on your side with this.
Speaker 3: It is true?
Speaker 2: Is that really true? I keep thinking you're fucking with me. Dude. It's been it's been a a long joke.
Speaker 3: No, it's not a joke. It's a truth.
Speaker 2: Have you done the twenty three and me?
Speaker 4: Listen, I don't need to. I know Negrill, Jamaica. Look it up man from seven Mile Beach. I'm I'm registered.
Speaker 2: How often to go back?
Speaker 3: Well with COVID, it's been it's been a couple of years, but try and.
Speaker 2: Go back every year. See family?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know family, friends. Hey, lying, I.
Speaker 2: Think so too. I swear it's the same. He never came from this stupid story.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like, you know, listen, we got married, My wife and I got married over there on a beach in Jamaica, right you have to go to our country.
Speaker 3: You have to go four days early, and you have to declare citizenship.
Speaker 2: Wow, to get married over there.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's how our company makes a little more our country makes a little more money.
Speaker 2: This is We're gonna look all this up.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: In fact, how our country. So you're not American, Well, what.
Speaker 4: Are you doing your dual duel when it comes to paying taxes. I'm Jamaican.
Speaker 3: We have no state income.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you coming on, man, Yeah, thank you very much. It's been a pleasure to hear these stories.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Will you know, he's probably listening to a couple of these getting a little red on the cheeks, But for me it was it was an absolute dream to hear all these nice stories about we'll call.
Speaker 5: Especially when you look over at me and stuff. He just you know how it is. You're like trying to like you're.
Speaker 1: Trying to get gassed too hard, but at the same time it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I appreciate it. Now. I appreciate you guys having me. Its fun, man, Thank you. Subscribe Subscribe to the Boys