Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for a day? Ato steak is that woo woof?
Speaker 1: And them and tie Welcome back to the ceburb of boys and Girls. My name is ty Hil the brand joining me as always over there in sunny in spring, downright summary Chicago, Illinois, and Rubinstein, sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good. I attempted to go for a run earlier today and then my foot hurt and I went for a walk, which might be some sort of nice allegory to a story that we could compare to.
Speaker 1: One of these teams coaches in this.
Speaker 2: Progress report episode that I'm very excited to do, just because when we were talking about what we were going to do earlier, I got to use the word technodrone, and I don't always get to do that when planning an episode.
Speaker 1: So I'm in a good mood tech no dron. Yeah, we'll get into that momentarily, but in the meantime, Welcome back to the show. I am ty he is Dan. Don't forget to follow along on social media. Don't forget to follow along this podcast. We go twice a week all throughout the off season. You can follow along on Apple, on Google, on Spotify, anywhere you get your podcasts. You can follow along with the show and have that stuff automatically delivered to you. We also over on Thepatreon at verballers dot com have a very special off topic show coming up this week. I guess it drops one on Friday. We've been doing an off topic show per month, the third Friday, I think of every month, and we've wanted to pull this one together for a while. Bill Barnwell over at ESPN has long been kind of like our go to guest when it comes to off topic shows. We did all sorts of fun stuff with him in the past. We've got the Off Topic Show with Bill Barnwell slated for this week. Our topic is.
Speaker 2: Nineties sports kid movies.
Speaker 1: The Heyday? The Heyday? So, what are some topics for you that you want to broach here? We get to talk like some sandalot here, Mighty Ducks, anything you want.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna hit some tropes like the flawed Coach is a big one, the Gordon Bombay, the what the o'sha brothers and little Giants. There's all sorts of flawed head coaches because this was if you look at kids movies, especially in the nineties, it was a lot of kids are the smart ones and doing the adults don't know what they're doing. And I'm very excited for an episode where we get to the say things like that with Bill.
Speaker 1: Verballers dot Com is where you can go to sign up for the patreon and get access to that exclusive content. It's only going to be available for our Verballers dot Com patreons. Okay, all that being said, Dan, this is a another one of those deals where the show came together mere hours before we hit the record button.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be weird though, if we did an off season show where we had planned it days and like, there's no sports podcast that's timely ish. I mean, there are shows like thirty for thirty and stuff like that that spend a ton of time crafting episodes. But it would be very strange if we pulled this episode together last Thursday, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: It would be it would be that said, we are working on some things in the sOliver bol abortree which we aren't ready to take the bubble bubble wrap off of yet. Excuse me, but yes, this show came together as of about ten thirty this morning when you and I had a phone call and we centered around this idea of progress reports. Dan, what was the final version of this show that we agreed on.
Speaker 2: So we're doing progress reports on what will be third year head coaches. Guys like Mike Loxley or Dana Holgerson or Ryan Day, guys enter their third year in that they had one quote unquote normal year in twenty nineteen and then whatever twenty twenty was, and now they get to move forward and to hopefully a year that resembles more of what we consider be normal in the college football universe. So we've got some G five guys, We've got some Power five guys, and we are just going to I don't know how we're going to grade the trajectory. I guess we could talk about launch angles. If we're going to mix sports, we can talk about lob wedges and drivers. If we want to stay timely with the masters. I just use the word technodrone when talking about this, because there's at least one program here. There has to be that each of us says they're just digging themselves underground with how they're handling things. So I have what eight names here? We can discuss all of them, some of them more than just these eight names. We can do whatever we want, but I couldn't think of a really good cartoon. Is like I know, Captain Planet sort of launched into space. So if we want to name one of these guys Captain Planet and one of these are technodrone or a krayng, I did pull a crang sound for you.
Speaker 1: I have it here. If we want to use it, think about Ampty prom I heard alls. Yeah, that's an underwhelming krang on my end. So here's what I have.
Speaker 2: I have Mike Loxley, I have Chris Climb, and I have Dana Holgerson, Scott Saderfield, Jamie Chadwell, Will Healey, Jeff Collins, Ryan Day.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are eight that stood out to me, that stood out to you, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe on our next Q and A if you want to give us another soon to be third year head coach to discuss and the program's trajectory right now in this offseason, in the middle of spring, heading into I guess summer workouts in fall camp, we'll be happy to because there's no way we can fit all of the third year coaches into a single episode. But I want to talk trajectory and progress report progress reports. Did you get progress reports in high school where you sent home grades between report cards?
Speaker 1: I feel like in elementary school. We were in elementary school. Yeah, it was the the I think the OS and U scale. Actually that might have been our report cards. I don't remember. It was a long time ago, but I feel like along the way, yes, we were giving progress reports.
Speaker 2: Oh, I definitely was. In high school. There was like mid semester report cards called progress reports. At one point I did I did for just signature. I did for just signature that said I was doing totally good in English and I was, I was fine, whatever I had. I misspelled the word Eileen, and my mom was like, huh, never never seen anybody spell Eileen with two l's. So that didn't go that well.
Speaker 1: So I think I would think English should be a strong suit for you. What happened, you would think?
Speaker 2: I think I panicked under pressure. I was like, I gotta get something down here, and I went with Eileen two l's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, Well we're going to get into eight coaches. Here one more quick tidbit newsletter dot slid verbal dot com. New place you can go to sign up for the mailing list and do some fun and creative stuff over the next few months. Newsletter solid verbal dot com. Where do you want to start? I guess the Jetsons are a cartoon spaceship right, sure, now it's thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's start with Mike Loxley, Michael Angelo Locksley. Because I mentioned the technodrone, let's talk about I mean, it's Fear the Turtle.
Speaker 1: So it's Fear the.
Speaker 2: Teenage mutant Ninja turtles and Maryland's kind of fascinating in that. Twenty eighteen was an interim situation. Matt Canada takes over for DJ Diurkin, who suspended and eventually fired, and they actually have a pretty entertaining season. There were three points away from going seven to five, but they opt to not take the interim tag off of Matt Canada. They hire Mike Loxley, fresh out of a lot of success at Alabama, and they've struggled. I think it's fair to say Maryland has, but it looks like there's you know, after last year they ran the ball really well with Jake funk and they've recruited pretty well potential game changers. So I guess I turned the question to you. Is Maryland a team with an impressive or an encouraging trajectory? Do you see this as a straight line? Do you see this as a technodrone situation and a tough division? Where do you stand on the trajectory of the mics The Mike Locksley knows the DMV Maryland.
Speaker 1: Therapists, we were pretty plugged into the Mike Locksley higher right from the jump because that was a fantasy thing's how of course, fantasy thing's item. How Mike Loxley knows the DMV, He's going to take advantage of it. He loves a DMV.
Speaker 2: One of the most explosive teams. Yeah, in a limited college football twenty twenty, it was sort of all or nothing passing, but the defense definitely looked improved through the air, So there are signs. They also lost an embarrassing fashion more than once last year, and they turned the ball over a lot, Yes, they did. Their plus minus was pretty bad, but okay, so here's where we're at with Locksley three and nine the first year, two and three, this past year in the weird COVID year. The couple things that jump out to me. Though I agree with you, I do feel like we saw improvement on a couple different fronts over this past season. Only played five games again, but I feel like they were trending in a good direction there. They did have a top twenty recruiting class during the twenty twenty one recruiting cycle, which, yeah, they're sort of in line with the Minnesotas in Iowa's right now in the Big ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which should should not be overlooked. I also feel like in the twenty cycle getting the top player in Maryland Rakeen Jared rakeem Jared excuse me? Who was the top player in the state of Maryland? Awesome wide out had twenty three targets this past season. Wasn't the guy? Wasn't the guy? Miss was the guy? Yeah, wasn't the guy yet, but still I feel like getting a guy of that caliber is hopefully a harbinger of what's to come for Locksley again in the DMV and area that he knows well and wren and raised all that. So yeah, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like the great recruit out of Florida this past year too, right, the number one inside linebacker in the country.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is that is reason for optimism. The most obvious obstacle, though, is the side of the division that they're in. Yep, It's just it's gonna be hard to really take any giant step forward unless you can pick one of those off. Now, maybe Michigan State falls down. They've been up there the last few seasons, clearly above Maryland. Maybe they fall down now because of some of their turnover. Who knows what the future holds for Michigan and Penn State. I don't think Ohio State's really in any danger of falling down. So I think if you're a Maryland fan, if you're looking at Mike Loxley, if you're trying to analyze a trajectory, they did beat Penn State last year. Penn State was a mess, but still Maryland had lost the previous season to Penn State by a fifty nine to nil score. Getting one on the board against Penn State's a big deal and that's helpful. I feel like this is trending in a good direction. I'm not going to say it's like a ninety degree launch angle where we're launching to the moon, but it feels like there is enough of a steady drum beat going in a good direction that I'm encouraged by what he's done so far. So I feel pretty good about this.
Speaker 2: Do you feel bowl good about Maryland as a program moving forward, because that's where we, I think are expectation wise with Maryland.
Speaker 1: All good? Bowl good.
Speaker 2: So they go what two and three, So that's bowlish losing my forty and then beating Minnesota and Penn State. You beat Minnesota and Penn State, and I mean they did lose to Rutgers. So I think bolish is the expectation that they're like somewhere between five and seven and seven and five, depending on a couple of breaks like we had in twenty eighteen, the overtime loss to Ohio State by one, and then who do they lose too close? They lost to somebody very close, Indiana, I believe. So that's the conversation right now in terms of success, in terms of the talent they're bringing in. By the way, this is the reunion of Ron Zuck and Mike Loxley going back to Illinois, so there's that. So they should be the talent levels should continually should continually improve in College Park. I there are twenty twenty one schedules little it's brutal.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it right now. I see four obvious wins and that's it.
Speaker 2: I don't even who are youre for because Kent State can bomb it, dude, Kent State can bomb it really good.
Speaker 1: Rutgers is probably not a sure thing at this Spicure's lost to them. Yeah, no, this schedule is not great.
Speaker 2: In twenty one, the October and then first week of November. Now, they beat Penn State last year, so we got to give them credit for that if we're going to talk about them losing to Rutgers. But after Kent State in late September, it's Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota, Indiana, Penn State consecutively, and whatever it is that you believe about Michigan State and Michigan after that. So it's it's a lot of gas. It's a lot of gas in the middle of that schedule. So it's you gotta beat Yeah, I guess you have to beat Howard. You have to beat Illinois, and we don't know what Illinois will look like in week three. I guess of brett Ilama, it's hard to find a bowl in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see the path. I don't see the path. It's not obvious anyway.
Speaker 2: Talia has to be great. He has to cut way back down on the interceptions. The receivers have to be really good. They have to get better upfront on defense. So trajectory wise, what are you giving me? You want to give me a launch angle? The higher the better?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So from what zero to ninety? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or are they are they digging underground.
Speaker 1: A little bit? They're not digging underground.
Speaker 2: Don't think they're not technodrone adjacent?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, okay, Oh man, I mean I guess skimming forty five would be like average, right?
Speaker 2: Forty five is a bowl game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll say like thirty. I got twenty five? What I was gonna say, Yeah, it's it's hard to go above that looking at the schedule.
Speaker 2: Jake Funk was really good last year. He got finally got healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing I brought up great had a hair by the way, too, terrific head of hair. One thing I brought up with you earlier. And this is silly, but I need to bring it up now because it's our damn show. Has nobody ever referred to Maryland as a teenage mutant Ninja Turtles like a really young team either in basketball or in football. I don't feel like ever hears.
Speaker 2: Too mouthy, tie, it's too wordy.
Speaker 1: Well, just a Ninja Turtles, I think. I mean there's copyright issues there. I mean, Fear the Turtle is great. Fear the Turtle improve saying no, No, I always approve Fear the Turtle. I've the turtle in my personal life. But I'm just saying, have we never used Ninja Turtles?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think so. All right, this makes Mike Loxley master splinter. I don't know where we are with that comparison, But no, I haven't. I haven't seen it. Although they did. There was a terp that was mutant mutated. It seemed like a Toka Raizar situation. So that's in the direction.
Speaker 1: When do I play the crank sound again? Do I just play it for each guy or just ad will? I don't know. Okay, I like the sound even if it doesn't quite fit. That's good.
Speaker 2: That's all we care about.
Speaker 1: Next up, let's go to Chris Climban. Let's Chris Climbon eight and five, year one, four and six, four and six. This past year, Chris Climbon comes down to Manhattan, Kansas from North Dakota State where he went sixty nine and six and five seasons. Nice beat Oklahoma two straight years, which I think is very notable. It's an incredibly small sample size, but it does feel like recruiting is headed in the right direction. You know. I feel like they signed a blue chip quarterback, so there's that, Yeah, signed the Baker quarterback. Probably. I feel like for Climbing specifically, recruiting may be kind of like a bad metric to look at. It's always important, but Chris climb In, especially at North Dakota State, very good at just getting whatever he could maximizing production out of the talent that was at his disposal to the extent where you know, they built a bit of a powerhouse. He took that over, but he kept the plane in the air, and they were really really good in his time there. We saw them firsthand. I think he's a perfect fit for Case State in that regard, because this is not a place that's ever going to get a ton of blue chip talent. They're just not. They're going to get one one guy every now and again, and they're going to have to make do with three stars, with two stars and the white. Sure, if he can get the most production possible out of those kids and continue to maximize their ability, that's exactly what you need a Case State. So I feel really good about what he's done because these are teams that seem pretty well disciplined, They play hard. They obviously beat Oklahoma two years running. This feels like it needs to be a higher launch angle, if only because they've already been to a Bowl game under his tenure, and you know, he catched the big twelve in the right spot. Could a Case State win like nine ten games? I don't know, Maybe not this coming year, but it's certainly foreseeable for me.
Speaker 2: They need to return to the warm embrace of eight and four. They're an eight and four program, which is terrific, which is very good if you're a perennial Boll team. That's a terrific place to be if expectations are not to be in a New Year six game every once in a while, which Kansas State has been, but with Oklahoma looking like they're only trending upward, with Iowa State now probably at its peak, which is contending for the conference most years, Kansas State's in a nice position. It's hard to fully look at twenty twenty with Skyler Thompson going down the way that they did, and they still were obviously right there for against Oklahoma State and Baylor with a pretty underwhelming, to be kind, passing game with Will Howard, So it was sort of a feast but largely famine offense once Skyler Thompson went down.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think you know you're gonna rely on development. You're gonna rely on keeping guys in the program and developing them and starting them as upperclassmen, and you know, not beating teams with talent and town alone.
Speaker 1: So I think that the.
Speaker 2: Trajectory is good. I don't think. I mean, I think it's like, you know, sixty degrees, fifty two degrees, something like that, where there seems to be a definitive ceiling unless a quarterback is you know, special, unless he's El Roberson, unless he's Callin Kleine.
Speaker 1: Guys like that. Skyler Thompson's good, he's better than Oklahoma, but seems to lose games he shouldn't and Kansas State should.
Speaker 2: I think they're just going to cruise along. They're not a rocket ship, but just it's a winning program. So I think the trajectory is good. They're nowhere near a technodrone. They have that floor, probably, but no, I see this as a team that's just gonna keep going to bowl games and it's it's impressive. It's just impressive football year and in, year out, and hopefully the offense continues to move forward creatively and put the most exciting five foot five tall duce van Is into a great all purpose position every week. If that's the case, the Big twelve has a good but not great Oklahoma State team, a changing Texas team that should be pretty good, to TCU team that's a wild card West Virginia that we hope improves, but it's nothing. It's not a killer team. Texas Tech is in a down place, Baylor has a lot of room to grow, and Kansas is a nightmare. So Kansas State is and continues to be Kansas State. So the trajectory is Bill.
Speaker 1: Snyder, Bill Snyder, Yeah, eight and four yeah.
Speaker 2: Program where there's nothing that makes me think that they are a threat to not go to bowl games aside from quarterback injury issues.
Speaker 1: Where would you grade out their launch ankle right now.
Speaker 2: Sixty sixty, Yeah, forty five is bold. Maybe I said fifty two sixty somewhere in that region.
Speaker 1: Ok. Yeah, I don't know if I go quite that high.
Speaker 2: But I mean they're sort of utahs, right, like they're just gonna have their act together. If they're reasonably healthy, they'll have their act together.
Speaker 1: And if you don't, they'll just beat you'll beat you. Yeah, yeah, I'll go. I'll go fifty five. Okay, so I guess I'm not too far off. Let's go to Dana Holgerson. Dana Holgerson four and eight and year one, three and five this past season. I'm gonna let you take the wheel on Holgerson here, Okay. I feel like every Holgerson team is exactly the same. Oh, I definitely don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you've watched side by Side Clayton tune and Will Greer clips, it's not the same.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can't give an accurate readout on Holgerson because I'm a little biased. I'm almost sick of Dana Holgerson in college football.
Speaker 2: And really, yeah, I mean, I just if you've watched us in the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: I get that, but overall, no, not as like a personality. I just I guess I feel a little bit frustrated because we did have some good years with Hulgo at West Virginia, and there was a lot of excitement. We were waiting for West Virginia to turn the corner and like develop a defense and become more well rounded, and that just kind of never happened. They had some great seasons, don't get me wrong, but it just over the long haul kind of fell apart. For me, I'm just frustrated that he hasn't done better. That's fair.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the nightmare of the twenty nineteen season with his planned red shirting bulk red shirting, I don't know, didn't work out for twenty twenty with guys like Derreck King leaving, defense improved the defense actually, and the defense improved near the end of his time at West Virginia. There was a couple of nightmare years in there, but the defense improved. In Houston, Clayton tune probably has a relatively low ceiling, gives the ball away too much. I don't know if the competition is open for quarterback right now, but an interesting enough season last year you know, they get edged out by Memphis. They lose to Hawaii to close out the year the Bowl game.
Speaker 1: I just Houston and Hulgo.
Speaker 2: Don't if you're going to hire Dana Holgerson and you don't have any sort of real pop on offense, I think it's a failed higher and I don't know if the next quarterback is going to be the guy. But I don't know they were running the ball so well in Morgantown. I don't really run the ball that well. They haven't been running the ball all that well. It's it just feels like an average team that doesn't have much zazz or juice right now. I mean, the schedule is nice this year. They should probably have an impressive record, but I think they miss UCF and Cincinnati. I just in terms of trajectory, I'm just I don't know. I'm left at like a like a straight forty five. Maybe then that's too upward, probably as.
Speaker 1: Sarah, don't you gotta go below forty five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're sort of like a thirty team. That doesn't mean they won't make a Bowl. But in terms of just like the the launch angle, I just I'm not you know, they're not to the moon. They're just sort of there. They lost by four touchdowns at Cincinnati this year, so they're not competitive with the top of the conference. They give up forty plus two. I mean, it's understandable to BYU. But in a strange year, and it was incredibly strange. I think they had like a month off between games at a certain point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was really So this is all grain of salt, but.
Speaker 3: In a year where in a in a year where tackling in defense didn't exist in a lot of places, it seemed like a good year to pop a little bit more on offense.
Speaker 2: I mean we're still talking about I mean, I'm not a big Kyle Porter fan, but I like Marquz Stevenson going into last year, and I just they just didn't separate themselves offensively. So if that's a hole th team, I don't know really what you're getting excited about. So yeah, I'm like a twenty five or thirty with them worse scamming.
Speaker 1: Let's play it. You go crying? Why not? Yeah? Scott Sadderfield, Yeah you're a big Sadderfield guy, weren't you? I was?
Speaker 2: And I'm bummed about Louisville with sadderfield because it felt a bit like last year should have been a real jump up year. Yeah, and the turnovers killed so much of what could have been killed him, And yeah, I expected more. I think, what did Michaeale Maleik throw twelve picks? Had three fumbles and this was a year where they still were able to managing putting a top twenty offense or so on the field. I mean, you have two two at well, an all time receiver for the Cardinals. You have Dez Fitzpatrick. You have Javian Hawkins forever long he played, and a quarterback who was I mean when you say an all time Louisville explosive quarterback, you're still saying somebody who followed Lamar Jackson. But to waste that offense with what that the results ended up as in twenty twenty, and to not be able to generate juice coming off of I love that word today for whatever reason, the juice on the recruiting trail an underwhelming recruiting destination right now in the ACC coming off of what the most exciting college football player of the modern era, and Lamar Jackson really excellent offensive play these past couple of years. A young energetic coaching staff that you felt like, I felt like would be recruiting at a higher level. They're a below average acc recruiting team.
Speaker 1: He was really good at app State. He built strong defenses.
Speaker 2: It's a different but it's a different game there, man different game wiring talent and winning. I thought they were gonna I thought they were going to give Clemson trouble like they did for a stretch there under Bobby Patrino.
Speaker 1: I really did. Between Scott Sadderfield and Neil Brown, you had a moment when those guys got hired by bigger programs because I think you really liked each of them a great deal, and you know, Neil Brown, I think to some extent, we kind of acknowledged that was going to be more of a longer term thing. It wasn't going to be right away. But Louisville felt like they had it felt like they had more of the ingredients to get there quicker. And I'm with you. I thought this past season, for all its flaws, was going to be a much much different story for Louisville, and the turnovers were just brutal. Moreover, it was I think a situation where they shot themselves in the foot a lot. Dux is a better team than four and seven, but they just constantly were getting in their own way, and I'm kind of left now not knowing what to think. I felt really.
Speaker 2: Out showed out really nicely to end the season against Wake, So there's that.
Speaker 1: I felt really optimistic after year one under Statterfeld. This past season it felt like it all fell apart, and like, certainly Louisville would not be the only college football program that saw a bit of that. We saw Michigan, we saw at Penn State, like we've seen it all around college football schools that just didn't show out at all in twenty twenty. So I don't know how much value to put on that. I was left very very very underwhelmed, though, and that is certainly going to affect my launch angle after eight and five. After eight and five, I might have said, like seventy five degree of launch angle, I was gung ho away I started.
Speaker 2: They started their ACC season one and six. Yeah, last year, that's against a Miami team who was good but not a killer pitt okay, Georgia Tech losing by what twenty to Georgia Tech, Notre Dame team who they weirdly shut down.
Speaker 1: Well the seven Yeah, ah, I just.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm left deflated on the too. I can I recognize. And you know, Braden Smith start out the season really impressively at receiver, looking like a really promising young receiver, and just kind of disappeared throughout the year. I thought he was going to make more of a contribution. So no, it leaves me feeling just sort of forty forty five ish in terms of launch angle and trajectory that this is a Louisville team that's going to be a bowl team, and we'll climb out of a slumber cave to give somebody trouble. But I mean, they didn't string together wins this year. They did not win two games in a row at any point in twenty twenty. Now it maybe it was just the strangeness of last fall, but everybody was operating under similar circumstances.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just left tampering, tampering my expectations of the Scott Sadderfield era.
Speaker 1: Why don't we say fifty, Okay, why don't we say fifty because I think we both believe, we want to believe that it's going to be higher, and it can be higher, but last season that doesn't wash off, not so easily.
Speaker 2: They give up a lot of big plays. Look, the Miami game was early and they gave up all those huge plays and we're being sucked into play action like the high school team. But I don't know if what is the record that Louisville just they need to go in twenty twenty one for you to feel good about a respectable launch angle.
Speaker 1: Well, they got to make a bowl. I got to make a bowl that that I think is given. I'm gonna pull up their schedule here quick, m hm and see what this looks like. But you know, I think the bowl is probably that's that's table stakes at this point. If you're sadder filled, I think it's field not felt to be clear field. What did I say? Feld? Yeah, you've You've been thrown in a couple of Felds there. It's been a long day ole miss to open up the year, that won't be easy. You see f in there, Matt Carroll and Dylan Gabriel in the non conference. Okay, it's not the most ideal. There's a Kentucky game in there. Obviously, the rivalry later in the year, so you could do a lot better in terms of non conference scheduling.
Speaker 2: I mean, the last time Louisville played Kentucky, a receiver completely destroyed them at quarterback.
Speaker 1: But there are games in here against Eastern Kentucky, Wake, Forest, Syracuse, Duke. It's it's a easier path for sure than Maryland.
Speaker 2: But what's your trajectory again.
Speaker 1: Got to get to a bowl, got to get to what is the number, I'll say fifty fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: So you feel like they're cruising on an above average trajectory.
Speaker 1: I am going to keep the faith that they are. Didn't see it last year.
Speaker 2: They could easily if Mackenzie Milton is good, they are starting there's a good shot of starting out one and three, one and three and then at Wake, Virginia, BC, NC State, Clemson. It's not ideal, but it's not the great Bob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I see him going to a bowl game right now, if if they're even somewhat has turnover prone and turnovers are random. When they're not though, you'll know it. And there were some not so random turnovers, bad decision making in the passing game and just not holding onto the ball.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Keep all my.
Speaker 2: Faith hard to circle.
Speaker 1: Keep the faith with me with Scott Satterfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in that, Like twenty seven is my launch angle.
Speaker 1: He's all right, maah. But Jamie Chadwell, huh, I mean he's my captain planet Jamie Chadwell Coastal Carolina. Jamie Chadwell is interesting. He's had three non consecutive seasons with Coastal Carolina. Was hired initially in twenty seventeen, then the last two seasons twenty nineteen and twenty twenty. Here's an interim. Here's an interim guy. Yeah, so here, here's the here's the official win loss record three and nine year one, five and seven year two, and then eleven and one this past season. So for our purposes here where we're considering third year coaches, will say five and seven eleven one pretty big jump. Sure, I think Coastal may come out of a pandemic in better shape as a program, because first off, they captured the imagination of the nation at huge stage all season long, specifically the BYU game, which we'll talk about till we're blue in the face, I'm sure. And secondly, they're gonna have Grayson McCall for at least another year, and that dude's a legit pro prospect for as long as he's there.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen one way or the other.
Speaker 1: He's a pro prospect. Yeah, nice, good for him. For as long as he's there, Coastal's gonna have a platform, They're gonna have eyes. And it may be a little too soon to start grading out recruiting, and I'm always hesitant to dig too deep into recruiting on the group of five level, but I do think they're going to see a lift as a result to what we saw this past season. And Chadwell, for as long as he's there, I guess that's the other component here. He was a name that came up in association with some bigger openings. I don't know how long he's going to stay at Coastal. You'd obviously like to believe that he's going to be there a while, but I think we know better in this world of college football that if he continues having double digit wins, people are going to come calling for him, especially with the offense he runs, which is just fun as hell. I don't see how you could look at this program and not feel like it's like eighty Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a couple of things. The offensive system is incredible, and I won't say they lucked into Grayson McCall, but it was a perfect match. And certainly, you know, if we could do it all over again in terms of the class of twenty nineteen, that he'd probably be receiving more offers than he did from Power five schools. They ran a ton and that option look to set up the pass, and Grayson McCall happened to be talented enough to take advantage with defenses sucking up, and they were a crazy explosive team. I think they're going to regress a bit. They were the number one turnover margin team in the nation, I believe. I don't know if you came across that number as well when you were looking at them. So that's something that's not really sustainable because fumbles will bounce the other way, interceptions will get tipped and caught by the defense if they weren't caught last year. Those kinds of things tend to turn season to season. Their schedule is awesome. They are at app State this year, but it's after a bye week, so I don't think there's any reason to think that they won't flirt with ten wins, especially with how much better the defense got. From twenty nineteen to twenty twenty. We saw the defense make some big plays at the end of games. They did win a couple of clunkers. I mean they held on against BYU. They won that game by what a yard and a half at the end, And then they held on in a crazy game against Louisiana Lafayette or sorry, just Louisiana on the road, and I think that was a Thursday, a Friday night game. They beat the rageing Cajuns. So I think they're going to continue to flirt with double digit wins, but I don't think what last year was is necessarily sustainable. So, yeah, you're right about your eighty eighty two whatever. They're in a good place, but it's it's a tight rope back because Jamie Chadwell is probably going to jump on a bigger opportunity in the next year or two if the success continues in Conway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very curious to see what the future holds for him. Look, if they keep running that offense at the same level that they did this past year, it's impossible for me to believe that there won't be schools that are at his door. We'll going to bring him.
Speaker 2: He's your next Louisville coach. Yeah, I don't know that he knows. Yeah, No, They've got way better. They stopped a lot of big plays through the air, and so that's going to be the thing. The offense gets the attention, but I think it's the defensive improvement and the turnovers forced and not given up that really helped to pace everything for a crazy improvere.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Will Heally. Let's Will Healey at Charlotte seven and six, year one, two and four in the weird COVID year Dan, I don't know if I have enough knowledge to make a informed opinion of Will Heally, but I know that Will Heely's a name that has come up a little bit fringe candidate pretty consistently, maybe not as a leading contender, but in conjunction with some of the bigger openings that we've seen over the last you know, season or two. Here, Sure, where do you stand on Charlotte and Will Heally? I think he's impressive.
Speaker 2: He strikes a lot of people in the college football universe as an impressive and he's a younger dude did a great job at Austin p in Tennessee, and you know, it was the weird coaching shuffle with Jmu and everything like that in Charlotte. So takes over at Charlotte and they kind of out of nowhere, but the schedule set up nicely for it in twenty nineteen to win their final I think five games to take forty nine ers to their first Bowl game ever. Chris Reynolds, I think is a really impressive quarterback. Needs to cut down on the turnovers himself, but I think is a really nice starting point, and I like Charlotte a good deal. They've recruited all right, It's sort of been all over the place in terms of recruiting, but I'm I'm pretty happy. I mean, the defense was legitimately bad at times. They gave up fifty to Duke last year. So I don't I'm gonna pump the brakes on the will Heay bigger job conversation right now. I'm going to need to see a little bit more like he has a nightmare of an opening few games in twenty nineteen and does an amazing job to close out the year. So I am I think the trajectory is good, especially for I mean, this has only been what an FBS program for eight nine years or something like that. They took a few decades off, so I'm gonna cut them some slacks. So I'm gonna say, all things considered, they were another one of those teams I think with like a five week break between games last year, and I think they missed what I'm looking at the schedule right now. Yeah, they have two weeks off between app State and FAU and they're in They're definitely in the harder side of Conference USA. They're in the East, which is I mean, UAB is just in firm control of the West, it appears, so they're in the harder side of Conference USA, and his job is going to continue to be to maximize this offense while the defense takes probably a little bit of time improving. So I think the trajectory is good all things considered. Within the context of Charlotte football and how young it still is, I'm gonna I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Like fifty to fifty five. He doesn't not look like Kaylor Lautner from what was that keeen drama, The Vampire One. Why can't I think of it Twilight, Twilight. Yeah, you knew Taylor's name, but not Twilight. I couldn't think of it. Okay, he doesn't not look like he looks like a nerdier version of Taylor Lautner.
Speaker 2: Right, they did bring in a big transfer this year, I think from A and M at quarterback.
Speaker 1: We'll see. I don't know if.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's a competition in Charlotte, but there's at least that there are. If they can bring in some of those guys, it becomes a little bit more interesting.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, heally only thirty six, so he's a younger.
Speaker 2: Only thirty six. Oh my god, you're a whole generation older than him.
Speaker 1: It's true. Okay, let's go to Jeff Collins. You're Jeff Collins. Thoughts. I love Jeff Collins. Man, I'm in mister Atlanta, Mister Atlanta, Jeff Collins. Three wins in year one, three wins in year two. Well, it's gonna be a slow burn. It's gonna be a slow burn to root out the option. What I like about Jeff Collins is that he just has limitless.
Speaker 2: Is that still a thing? Is that still a narrative? With Georgia Tech the Atlanta two years. No, no, no, the option, rooting out the option. Now, after two seasons of.
Speaker 1: It, it's becoming less of a thing. I think we're getting to that point where he needs to put up or shut up. But it was going to take at least two seasons to fully get that system out of the system, you know. Okay, No, I'm right here with you. So I like Jeff Collins. I stand by the fact that Georgia Tech plays hard. That is my thing. It's always been my thing. It doesn't always equal more wins, but more often than not, if you find a team that is playing hard, that's a pretty good bet. And I feel like they have under him. I like what I've seen, So I like the fact that he's selling Atlanta hard. They've obviously got a lot of talent down there. He's doing his it's in an amazing state. Yeah, to try and improve the recruiting, to adapt to a different system. I am going to remain optimistic on Georgia Tech. Now, Okay, so does that mean a Bowl.
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 1: That means that they need to get to a Bowl game in year three for me to maintain this level of optimism. So I will put it at I'm very optimistic. I will put it out a fifty five because I honestly believe they are headed in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I want to see him go to a bowl they don't go to a bowl game, and we come back and we do this next year. It's going to be big time crank, big time crank. But I'm going fifty five finally answer. Their schedule is really hard.
Speaker 2: They're at Clemson, at Miami, at Notre Dame, and of course they have Georgia.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I think what we need to see from Georgia Tech this year because of those teams that I name, they just can't get blown out like fifty two to three against you know, Clemson or Miami or Georgia or Notre Dame or any of those teams. They need to be losing games because they've they've won games against quality and more talented teams.
Speaker 1: They have.
Speaker 2: I mean, weird to say backfield of the future at this point because they've already been the backfield, but Jeff Simms and Jamior Gibbs are really impressive when they're on. So I just need to see them at the very least because they're gonna lose likely lose what to Clemson and Georgia. If they could lose, I don't know, forty five twenty eight instead of forty five eight, that's something that will help with my trajectory. And they absolutely in terms of really bumping up this launch angle, I'm gonna need them to beat I think they have North Carolina quote unquote Neutrals in Atlanta, so it's not a bad neutral site matchup. You're gonna have to beat either North Carolina. You gotta beat maybe both Virginia schools pit maybe give Notre Dame a little bit of trouble. I don't know if they have if the Irish have somebody before or after, if that's like a sandwich situation for Notre Dame, but something let's say Georgia Tech, Notre Dame has Stanford.
Speaker 1: The week after in Virginia the week before, two road games. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's super intimidating, final.
Speaker 1: Final home game of the year for Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Senior Day, Yeah, I really need Sims and Gibbs to pop for me to feel Sims and Gibbs.
Speaker 1: The problem, the problem with being too optimistic on Tech is that they are really only three obvious wins here.
Speaker 2: But and I U Kennesan Duke.
Speaker 1: That's about it. They can beat BC, it's at home. They can beat Virginia Tech.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're a big BRAXI believer, not really. And they should be able to beat Duke pit is beatable. That's at home. I can find five.
Speaker 1: I'm sticking with fifty five. Okay, don't talk me out of it.
Speaker 2: I'm at thirty five because some point we need to turn, you know, putting the Atlanta area code on every jersey into actual wins.
Speaker 1: Final coach Ry Ryan Day, he's our technodrome straight down. Let's play it anyway, even though he's not. Yeah, Ryan Day thirteen and one in year one, seven and one and went to the National Championship Game lost Tobama. This past year, Ryan Day has done nothing at all to make folks like me feel leary about the future of the program. And I say folks like me because my thing that I always stand by is it's really tough to follow a legend, and coaching changes are like a coin flip. You just you kind of never know what you're gonna get, even if it seems like it's gonna work out on paper. There's a lot of times that it doesn't. Ryan Day has Ryan Day, did you just did you just kind of pseudo quote Forrest come maybe a little bit. Okay, that wasn't the intention of that, but maybe a little bit. Yeah, Okay, So look, twenty and two, uh, two years, that's pretty good. Both are you laughing at me? Twenty and two is more than pretty good. Both years have been with Justin Fields, though, and that's a huge cop out. But let's just say moving forward now, new quarterback, I'm curious to see what happens in twenty one, curious to see if that has any effect whatsoever on this juggernaut that has been the Buckeyes. I have no reason to think that this train is slowing down anytime soon. So I don't know how we grade out trajectory when you're ready kind of at like a night, but it doesn't feel to me like this is gonna go in a bad direction anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there arguably the most talented or one of the what one, two or three most talented teams in the country and got blown out by one of those other teams in the National Championship Game or comfortably beaten correct correct more appropriate. So it's all relative. They were not a good defensive team relative to what I think their potential was, because the talent level is so high, and we saw that finally exploited. We saw it exploited against other teams Indiana Northwestern at points of that game. But you know, the juggernaut that was the Alabama twenty twenty offense was the one that really put the exclamation point on some of those defensive issues, again relative to the talent on hand. So Ryan Day is done a fantastic job. He's captain planet for Ohio State. This the trajectory is unbelievable because their first goal is to win the Big Ten and there is nowhere near an obvious reason to think they won't this year, which is crazy. The recruiting has, if nothing, gotten even better than what it was under ed Meyer.
Speaker 1: It is better you look at.
Speaker 2: So they are. They're in a quarterback battle right now between a blue chip from southern California and a blue chip from Arizona. They have the number one overall player in twenty twenty two. This upcoming class in Quinn Yours from Texas coming in. So they are operating like crazy. On a national level, the recruiting machine is and the stage certainly does not seem too big. Taking the baton from Urban Meyer, so I think in terms of assistant hiring, he's done a fantastic job. You look at what you know with Al Washington and Greg Madison stabilizing things upfront, Carrie.
Speaker 1: Combs, we'll see, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: But offensively it is, there just seems very little to worry about. The unbelievable group of receivers Garrett Wilson and Chris olave back this year, probably the most obvious star duo at receiver in the sport right now heading into twenty twenty one. So I don't have any concerns trajectory wise, other than Ohio State in some form. You can't get blown out on a stage like that, and they're not Notre Dame. But they are again going to have to break through after that showing in the playoff. I mean, they have this unbelievable game against Clemson, killed them and then killed Clinton. Then yeah, so we'll see. The secondary left some to be desired last year, as did linebacker. So yeah, there are still problem areas, but you know, you look, you pull back the camera and Ryan Day has been sensational.
Speaker 1: I just don't see, to your point, an obvious pathway for somebody else to upend them and win the Big Ten. And that's the thing they're They're gonna keep getting bites at that playoff Apple because all they have.
Speaker 2: To do is lose once to a one lost team in the East.
Speaker 1: That's all it takes, right, But I just don't feel great about that. Who's that team? Right? Is a team? Who's a team Michigan.
Speaker 2: Looks three steps back? Michigan State starting over, Penn State has its own issues, especially on offense, and they're starting over at coordinator there so and.
Speaker 1: Then who on the who on the western side gives you the warm fuzzies? Nobody obvious. So it seems like Ohio State has the unique circumstance of being far and away better in what is already a really good conference, really good conference. It's not like an acc situation where it's Clemson and then everybody else is just sort of like trying to punch their way to get to like anywhere close to that top run. We've got teams that are blue blood programs, teams that have been at the top of the polls very recently, and Ohio State's just way better than all of them, and that bodes well for them as it relates to the playoffs. So I don't know. I just it's got to be ninety right, like they're They're just on a wide path to the moon. It's what twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yes, is Ryan Day hoisting a national championship trophy by the end of the twenty twenty four season. By the end of twenty twenty four, Yes, so he has won two, three, four bites at that apple.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would say yes. Okay, I think I agree. I would say yes, and I'd be inclined to say it could be this year. But I still don't know what their quarterback is going to look like. I have a lot of faith, see they'll be CJ. Stratter, Jack Miller. I have a lot of faith that one of those two kids is going to be very, very good. But with the kind of turnover that BAMA has losing Trevor Lawrence or Clemson, it's going to take some time. Didja you just saying it's gonna be there? Okay?
Speaker 2: There isn't a tiny part of me that worries that Ryan Day isn't fully ready to annually beat Clemson or Alabama or simply Alabama, like we could be saying in twenty twenty four, does Ryan Day have a Nick Saban problem?
Speaker 1: We could be Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I would like to see what this Ohio State because we saw a difference last year with my guy Jeff Hafley two years ago in this Ohio State defense, and it seems like they took a step back this past year. But again, this is twenty twenty, so all grain of salt. I am I'm very optimistic about I mean, were you not optimistic about Ohio State's future at this point?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there you have a ready or do we have an agreed upon technodron team.
Speaker 1: A technodrone team? Yeah? Of those eight who is clearly digging downward hlgo sadderfield, it could be Collins has not won a lot of games in Atlanta. I'm still optimistic though, Okay, I'm still optimistic. I'll go hold go. If you want to go hold go.
Speaker 2: I think we'll go hole go. I expected more. I just that's a conference where you should be able to move the ball and uh drive the ball. Downfield a lot more than Houston has. So yeah, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: There, solidverbotgmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Right in, you have a favorite Ninja Turtle? Did you watch the original Ninja Turtles? I did, like early nineties, late eighties. I read up on the Ninja Turtles. By the way, started out as a joke comic book. It was a parody comedy comic book, and then a toy company one is like, hey, can we make the toys from this joke comic book? And then the toys were seen and they said can we make a full on TV show out of it?
Speaker 1: And it exploded total joke. Though I was a Michael Angelo guy.
Speaker 2: Interesting, you do strike me as your class party dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a Michelangelo guy. I feel like he is everybody's guy.
Speaker 2: I like Donatello because you've got approximate the Dona Tello experience with a bat. And I know Casey Jones was involved in this universe. But I like Donatello. He like he he had a dry sense of humor without being sarcastic like Ralph Raphael Raffi, and without being an out and out goofball like Michelangelo.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, Michael, I feel like Michael Angelo was kind of like sort of not to mix my metaphors here, but there's sort of like a nay more quality to Michaelangelo to borrow a little bit from European soccer. Like he's just he's got more talent than everybody, but doesn't always choose to apply it, right, you know. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that I always enjoyed I never really noticed at the time was we have a turtle with a dagger, and we have a turtle with a sort two swords, right Michael Angelo or excuse me, Leo has two.
Speaker 1: Swords, yes, and Michael Angelo had that no blood in.
Speaker 2: The movie, all right, Michaelangelo has noun chucks and what are they size Raphael's weapon and then you got a bow bow staff for Donatello, but no blood. No blood, daggers and swords, no blood in the TMNT early universe.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, fun show as always fun show. Soliverble dot com is the website. Go there find all of our old stuff. Newsletter dot soliverble dot coms where you can sign up for that newsletter and follow along on social media. Dan Don't forget off topic show with their friend Bill Barnwell, coming your way later in the week, Available only at for bowlers dot Com our Patreon, Dan that's all I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tell us your favorite kids sports movies from the nineties and we'll talk about whatever we can.
Speaker 1: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, form myself, Tie Hilton Brandt. We will talk y'all on Thursday and I meantime stays SCE