Speaker 1: This is Heather Deubrew and this is Terry Borrow, and we're going to keep this between us and not really, not really, because today we have an incredible guest. I've had her previously on the podcast and you have done a game show with her.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is phenomenal, and she's had a recent health issue that sort of rings close to our home.
Speaker 3: She's an amazing famous position, arguably more famous than.
Speaker 1: Me, doctor Sandra Lee, doctor pimple Popper. She's here today.
Speaker 3: She's incredible, and she had a very similar thing that I had medically, and we basically were able to help hundreds and maybe thousands of people with this, and we wanted to hear her experience with this and maybe talk about it a little bit and what people need to look for.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's bring her on.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm fine? How are you guys?
Speaker 2: Good? God, it's been so long, Yes.
Speaker 4: I know, not as long. With doctor Dubrow, I went down and you know, person with him, he took the lead. He overshake me, he overtied I held to the way sore.
Speaker 2: I think I think he played you there.
Speaker 4: You know, we know who the big boss is.
Speaker 3: Will please, by the way, thank you for doing this. I was amazed and blown away when I heard what happened to you, because something very similar, which you may mar not know, happened to me. Yeah, And it's really quite amazing because I mean, you're a lot younger than me, and we're both but we're both really so we're very grateful that you would agree to come on and talk to us about this and share your experience. And I don't know, I mean, it made such giant news, but this happened a little bit of time ago, did it not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take us through a sondraw what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I read about you and what happened with you, and so I see the general similar pattern, but mine is a little bit different too, and sort of the timing of mine and I didn't have a wife like you on you like that. I have my husband, who I call Dad because he does run the show in many ways. He's like my dad, but a similar but different timing. And I think that's the whole important point behind this. So really what happened is this did happen about four and a half months ago, and mine was a true stroke, like I still have. You know, some wine wasn't that like Tia so much. And this happened to me while I was filming the show I have they had on camera, yes kind of, it had like the symptoms started to happen at the end of the day of one day, my first day of taping. I usually take four days in a row. And this is the hardest part of the show for me, as it may be for you when you do the surgical part of the of the show. It's very time consuming. They kind of dermatologists. I'm not really accustomed to really continue with surgery at six pm at the end of the day. You may be more so as plastics, but I kind of turned into a pumpkin, you know, And so so it's stressful to kind of be there until six seven pm or so. And and I had I've kind of had a hop flash, which was actually weird for me because TM I had I had more recently started like hormone replacement, and so I was feeling pretty good on that on that side, you know, I wasn't really having problems with that. And I also then when I went home, I have to stay at my parents while I'm there because I now live in la and so when I'm in when I'm When I was at home with my parents, I was eating soup and I had trouble swallowing, and I just thought, oh, maybe I have like a little reflux or something like that. I'm on some medication to a reflux, and so I just kind of like said, let me just go to bed, because I need a good night's sleep. That's very important because I have to pace myself three day, four days in a row, you know, these long, stressful days, big cases. And so I went to sleep, and I remember when I went to sleep, I had like restless leg syndrome. I like could not stop moving. I felt like they were paying shooting through my legs. I had recently flown like twice too long, you know, coastal trips, like within a week, really twice, so a lot of and I don't like to get up. I like to be slightly dehydrated. I like, I don't like to go to the bathroom in the plane, that kind of thing. So so those kinds of things happened, and so I got up in the middle of the night to just try to get some food, actually go to the bathroom, and I kind of stumbled. Bit of course, it's at nighttime, I'm more worried about trying to sleep. I was kind of a little off bounced, but I'm also thinking I'm trying to sleep, you know, that kind of thing. But the next morning, when I got up, I tried to walk to the bathroom, and I noticed that I was unsteady on my feet, a little more so than usual. I was by myself. So I held my hand hands out, like, this is what you learn from your exam, you know, as a medical student rotations. And when I held my hands out, I said, am I just fooling myself? Because my left hand would just subtly collapse. I would try to hold it out again and it would subtly collapse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that two of the bee fasts balanced and you have strength, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: And soft My left arm was weak. And so I was like, maybe I'm fooling myself. This is very subtle, you know. Is this a panic attack? Is this anxiety? Am I just tired? And then I tried to speak. I wasn't really speaking to anyone, there was no one there in the room with me, but I tried to talk, and I did feel like it took a little more effort for me to speak so I went downstairs to see my parents. My dad is also dermatologist, you know, and he actually had a tia that lasted like maybe a minute or two when he was sixty.
Speaker 2: Were you automatically thinking at that time I might be having a stroke.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean I out my arms, but like it was so subtle too. I didn't know, right, And so I went to ask my dad, and my mom is a nurse, and so they really, you know, as physicians, they were like, you know what, right now the er, it is the best time to go to the er because it's the morning. You know, it's probably the least busy and everybody's frash. We all know this, you know, that's probably the ideal time to go, not late at night. We freaked, Yes, sure, you know, but also like maybe hopefully this is a panic attack. I still got ready for work. I still had full hair and makeup and scrubs on because I was ready to I there are people here, right, They've flown in from across the nation. There's passing crew staying in hotels. You know, this is how they make their income. There's a lot of people that are responsible. I'm responsible for and if I don't show up, nobody gets paid, nobody gets treatment, you know, all these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Right, So you go to the ear. Do you go by yourself?
Speaker 4: No? I want my mom and my showrunner actually came to you know, because I told them that I'm going to the er. And then it's crazy. I don't know if this happened to you, But once you go in there and you say like, okay, I'm having a little weakness, I'm feeling.
Speaker 3: Like they get you right in.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a wheelchair right behind me, like will me through the And my only thought was like, oh my gosh, I need to make a TikTok about this, like wheeling through the halls. You know, that's how messed up my mind, is right, You're like, because this is crazy. It's like I'm being driven through the holes. And yeah, I initially.
Speaker 2: Well, Terry thought the same thing. Just so you know, Terry was in the room. Yes, I know, Terry was in the room waiting for his results and wanted them to turn Botched.
Speaker 3: On No but I and by the way, they did turn botched on it. It happened to be a first run on Botch that I was watching as I'm having a struggle anyway, can tell I was massively in denial. I so badly didn't want it to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, anyway, go ahead. So they're pushing you through the hose.
Speaker 4: So they pushed me through I actually to make a law. I mean, I don't want to make it like it's ultimately there wasn't in fact in my right side of my brain here, and so I didn't really find that out till it took a little while to get that MRI. The CT actually was conclusive initially, and then you know, we wanted to get an MRI. There was a wait time. But also the fact the key here is really for everybody listening, is that I sort of had some symptoms the night before, and so I was really out of that window to get TPA, which is like a clockbuster, and that really window is to get that within an hour to four hours or so, you know, before you have symptoms, symptoms and signs of a stroke.
Speaker 3: So they admitted you, and you were you're not going to shoot your show, that it's done for.
Speaker 4: A while, Yes, for now, yes, So that was stressful too, to tell everybody to go home, especially these people that have been waiting for you know, years decades to get something done and they finally had the nerve to show up and then you know, I'm m I A you know that kind of thing. So it was it was very stressful.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about the difference in men and women, like, does this present differently in men and women?
Speaker 3: So sound it does. It's like a heart attack, very very similar in that in a man. It's the classic stroke systems, the bee fast, the balance, the facial droop, the arm strength, the speech, the whole thing. The bee fast. Yours was very different. That's very typical of female. Right yours?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Present initially? You just didn't feel well.
Speaker 4: Biglen when I actually went in. Yeah, I did have those symptoms, but they were subtle, So who knows. I mean, I do I feel bad that I did not present myself to the er in the evening? Yes, But what I if I were to go through that situation again with no knowledge of what was going to happen, I probably would have done the same thing because I didn't really recognize. And I think the timing was a big deal, the fact that this happened right before you try to go to bed and get a good night's sleep. You know, you may like if your wife wasn't there with you, you might have said, like, I'm just going to sleep it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like I ran away by the way. I literally she had to chase me down the block. I so didn't want to chase him in.
Speaker 2: Heels, so let me go to the ar.
Speaker 4: We know what that's like.
Speaker 3: Yes, And plus I didn't want to get it he was I just didn't think it was possible, and I didn't want to get a diagnose of a stroke. How did you feel emotionally when the diagnosis was made?
Speaker 4: It is something that is like it's it's hard because there is some PTSD with that, Like especially when I go back in the situations. I just recently went to New York, and this happened right after I went to New York, So you just you just think all all these sort of things like, oh my gosh, did I do something here to make this sort of happen. You know, I got up, I wore my combustion socks. You know, I got up in the airplane. You know, things like that that I'm changing because you're conscious of this that there's a difference, you know, and just just things like that's a very you know, I feel the show is a very stressful situation, you know, because it's it is me, and it's just like you. You're performing surgery with many multiple cameras on because people are depending on you, cruise depending on you, all these kinds of things, you know, so it is hard. Thankfully, I'm doing well. I mean, I feel like when I get tired, So mine is different than yours because I don't think I have I had a full recovery because I truly had a stroke that really persisted, and so I know that I have to pace myself more. I'm still four and a half months out, so if I get overtired overworked, I feel like I can, you know, symptoms sort of kind of come back a little bit, not as bad. Everything's better. So I say like I'm ninety nine percent, but I range between ninety five and ninety nine depending on my my my I haven't gotten sick yet, knock on wood, but I feel like when that happens, I might sort of get a little bit worse. And you know, it's really important to me, especially for me and for you, because we are surgeons. We work with our hands. Thankfully this is my non dominant hand, but I know that my grip is not as strong now. I mean, I'm very good with my fingers now, but in the beginning I had a tough time with this side and it was really scary. You know that is scary.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about one thing because the two of you are very similar. You're both very highly trained doctors and a good.
Speaker 4: Way of course, all the good things, yes, all the good things.
Speaker 1: But you're both so smart, and you're both TV stars, and you're both you know, have these stressful careers.
Speaker 2: At your top of your game. What is this? And I don't think either of you are people, because I know you and I know how into your family you are at all of this, and so is Terry. I don't think either of you needed a wake up call per se. But what is this kind of event do to you?
Speaker 4: Well, I like to turn lemons into lemonade, and I have to believe that this is a blessing in disguise, that I we caught this at a time where you know, my blood pressure is not under control, my cholesterol was not under control, and I feel like this allowed me to stop and really pay attention to myself in a time or I could make things better, you know, and I think it's hard. I feel like this is a great message for people in our age range, you know, late forties, early fifties, mid fifties or later that you feel like, you know, with the filters and plastic surgery and cosmetic treatments, you feel like you can look so young and then you feel like you are young. And but so I didn't want I don't. I'm the worst patient. I don't want to see a doctor because that makes if I go on bood pressure medications, if I go on cluster medications, I'm old, right, that totally right that I'm seeing. Yes, you guys understand. So I feel like it's very important to take care of yourself because really it's crazy how just a low dose of high blood pressure medication or you know, cluster medication can actually be helped to Yeah, helped, but help help me, you know. I'm just bummed that now I can't take estrogen because the risk of stroke. I'm like pissed off that things I can't do now because of the you know, even the case get nothing. I'm not that I'm thinking about a face stuff now, but I know that there's risk on blood dinners. You know, you have to stop those kinds of things. So it changes.
Speaker 3: Everything for me. When it first happened, I felt I went from feeling invulnerable to suddenly I'm vulnerable, And it changed my outlook on everything, including how much time do I want to spend in the operating room, how many hours not smelling the roses? You know, do I need to start appreciating the other because to me, I like you. I love working, I love all things about being intensely focused on the job. But it really did change my outlook and it made me much more well. It made me hyper vigilant about my health, which it's important for you because it sounds like you're you weren't paying that much attention to your blood pressure, your cholesterol, and so now my numbers are perfect, and I'm sure your numbers are going to, if not perfectly already, but your HDL, your LDL, your APPOB, you're going to be all over all that stuff, right, right.
Speaker 4: I did not have a PFO as far as I know, Peyton for him and Ovale, but I and I was like kind of pissed that that didn't happen, right, because at least that gives you like a reason, right, you're like, Okay, it's just me and my poor taking care of myself and my genes, you know, or something. So it kind of was annoying that I didn't. I kind of wish that that had happened.
Speaker 2: He praised.
Speaker 4: Certain was the case.
Speaker 3: I told the guy when he put me under to check for that hole in the heart, that could be the cause, you know, the little plot that passed through on a recent travel chip. I said, you find a PFO, all right, And he did, and he welcome because he goes good news, huge PFO. And of course now I have the But in your case, the solution is still the same you need. Yours is a little more takes a little more effort over a longer sustain period of time. You got to make sure you're dialed.
Speaker 2: But I think maybe.
Speaker 4: It's good because again, it makes you want to be dialed in more so, you know, and not maybe if I said I had a PFO, I'd be like, oh, well, now that's true. Care of so now I'm good, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That's that's a very that's a very good point.
Speaker 1: When you have a quick, easy reason for why it happened and it's fixable, then you stop looking at all those other things that you really should be taking care of. I totally resonate with what you were saying about how people don't take care of themselves but they want to look great.
Speaker 2: I mean, the amount of people I know.
Speaker 1: On peptides and GLP ones that refuse to get their carotids checked or get a colonoscopy is insane to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you got to. We got to get our priorities traight. And you know, it is the culture that sort of can make this happen because we live in this world where it's so visual, and we are in this visual world ourselves because we have to keep up with the Joneses right ourselves, because we are in this world, and so it is. It's it's a denial, you know that. It's it's a tough thing. You got to you gotta pay attention to ourselves.
Speaker 2: Are your parents who are also physicians? Are your parents on top of their health?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They are, they are. They're They're much better than I am. And I'm getting there. But of course, isn't it weird that you have a child. It is weird. It's me the fact that I'm also I mean, I've got like a neurologists. I've got a cardiologist, I've got an internis, I got all these people around me all of a sudden. You know, it's just and I have parents still that are doing you know, so we have this shame kind of doctors. I never thought that I would still you know, you you you kind of think about that when you're like more in your I feel like I would think about that more of my eighties, my seventies, you know, things like that. But it really is important to have those things sort of started or kind of getting dialed in, like in your forties and your fifties.
Speaker 3: Really, last time this happened and we at we sort of publicized this. We got hundreds of not thousands of emails saying that people got the message and we saved a lot of lives. And you coming on, I just think it's really important to stress the fact that you're in a way lucky because you had signs and symptoms that were not necessarily recognized, and you could it could have been much worse, much much worse. In fact, when you look at the stats, you could be sitting here with HEMI paralysis and ending your career. And we know lots of people that's happened to. But the take on message is if you have any of these be fast signs or symptoms, you know, paralysis or weakness or speech problems, we should when she goes, we'll go over that. What I'd love to know, But but you have there's a golden hour that you really want to get to within sixty minutes to the emergency room. And if someone's feeling this way, if they're a friend of yours, if they're a loved one, or it's just you, you get your ass into the emergency there as because you've got about four and a half. The number they give is four point five hours to use those clockbusters to limit the damage that they can cause. And a stroke is really serious and really debilitating a lot of people don't survive it. So we're both very lucky.
Speaker 2: Sondraw, What do you want whoever's listening to this, what do you want people's takeaway to be from you?
Speaker 4: I mean exactly what doctor Groff said there. You know that I think that you've got to be you got to be aware of what's happening. I really I see and even my neurologia has said that there are so many more people at a younger age getting strokes. And I think it has a lot to do with our blood pressure, our diabetes, are you know, our our high clesterol. It has to do with things like PFO and things and things like that. So I think to recognize that this could happen to you and to really be conscious that they there's a timing involved, you know that there's a time frame that you really want to take advantage of. And so those those are the really the take home messages really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is a lot of people don't want to go to the er because they think they're going to sit there for five hours. And and doctor Lee and I have the same experience. When you go to the er, no matter how busy they are with signs or symptoms or complaints that might be a significant for a stroke, They're not letting you sit there. You're not gonna sit You're gonna go for sure, right, It's true, it's backstage pass, you're going right in. You're going to get a.
Speaker 2: Toss the backstage pass you want, but still that pass.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, And this timing could be the difference between surviving and not surviving or being you know, paralyzed.
Speaker 2: I know you have to go. I know you have a heart out. We adore you.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you are okay and that you're on the mend and now that you're in LA when you de have dinner.
Speaker 4: Yes, please, that would be great. I would love that.
Speaker 2: We love that too.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll get all of us doctors, we'll gravitate towards us. But yes, I'm so glad that you guys are doing well. And you got to listen to your wife more. That's to take home message for you, you know, true. So so yes, I would love to see you guys again.
Speaker 2: All Right, we have a great thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Yes, bye, thanks for coming on. She's amazing that I mean, first of all, she's one of the nicest people ever.
Speaker 4: So nice.
Speaker 1: When I met her, I don't know, years ago, she came on my pod, Yeah, and we just totally hit it off.
Speaker 2: And she's just the coolest. And then you ended up doing the.
Speaker 1: Weakest link link and you guys all teamed up and then he cut her at the end and he.
Speaker 3: Won Terry yeah barely, but it was though he.
Speaker 1: Got I mean literally no answers, right, But that's another story. Yeah, anyway, let's talk about the stroke symptoms because now that everyone's locked into this, let's go into fast. Be Fast is in a ENaC and mused to recognize sudden stroke symptoms. B for balance, right, so that's she had that balance loss.
Speaker 3: Doctor Lee had that. It's sudden loss of coordination. Okay.
Speaker 2: Eyes eyesight changes.
Speaker 3: Yes, very common to have, like you can't see you know part of your vision.
Speaker 2: F is facial drooping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I think nobody's missing that one.
Speaker 1: If that happens, well, if you only have that may be your word it spill's Paul's. You got to check all the symptoms, right. Then A is arm arm weakness.
Speaker 3: Right, weakness or numbness.
Speaker 1: And you heard doctor Lee saying she lifted her hands and run drifted down and one was drifted down and.
Speaker 3: Then s speech. Everyone knows that one slurred speech.
Speaker 2: Each difficulty and T is the most important.
Speaker 3: That's timing. That's time you got to get it. Look, it's better to be safe, okay, and just go get it checked out. And remember the good news is nobody's weight making you wait in the emergency room. Your way time is zero minutes because you get right in and they're going to do tests on you to make sure you're not having a stroke.
Speaker 2: I mean, that was one of the worst nights of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you had your stroke and thank god you're okay, and thank god yours was fixable.
Speaker 3: What I want to know is I wasn't happy about it being publicized, right, Remember with me. The only reason I admitted to this thing happening is because there was a video of you and I fighting outside outside of the restaurant, the IVY, and they thought we were having marital troubles, and I said, okay, it was TMZ called me with that video. We're going to publish this video Terry and Heather we're having marriytald troubles. And I go, no, no, no, no, let me tell you what really happened.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you what's so insane about that story? So it happened when we were at the IVY and we're finally out on the sidewalk having this argument because I wanted you to go to the hospital and you didn't want to go. But the ambulances, the ambulance shows up, the pair medics are there, and this woman who was inside the restaurant because you could tell from the angle of the video she was someone dining at the restaurant. Took this video and sent it to DMZ even after seeing paramedics there.
Speaker 3: It's pathetic, isn't that hard? Yeah, So two things that are significant that night. One, you saved my life. Number Two, the IVY still made us pay for the meal even though I was having a stroke.
Speaker 4: It got the check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, paid the check. Yeah, I paid the check. They are well my meal at the IVY.
Speaker 1: So i'm when they don't come for your meal when you save people from joking.
Speaker 3: Either, I was at the IVY once and there was a piece of glass in my gimlet and it cut my tongue and they.
Speaker 1: Still charged before Anyway, thank goodness, you're okay. Thank goodness, doctor Lee is okay. Thanks again to doctor Sandra Lee, doctor pimple Popper. Incredible show that she's on, amazing work that she does, and she's also one one of the nicest people of all time.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm so glad you're good. I'm so glad she's good.
Speaker 1: And everyone keep those be fast symptoms in the back of your mind because you know what you just never know. And the amount of messages we got saying that they needed to use those that an acronym, so, you know, just be aware.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where in medicine we do these runs of things just in case they happen, and we do these trial runs, right, what happens If this happens, that happens, and we practice and we talk about it. So if you're hearing this podcast, you should talk to people around you and go, hey, do you guys know what the signs of a stroke are and what you do and you have the Golden hour. It's something just to talk about. Yeah, you may never see it, but you may save a life, and the life you save maybe your own.
Speaker 2: All Right, you guys, Next time