Speaker 1: You're listening to The Hottest, The Hottest it be a podcast out here. I said what I said, it's the Check.
Speaker 2: On this episode of The Heat Check, I am perplexed and fired up about what's happening with the Detroit Pistons, because damn, how are they so bad?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: We also get into Who's hot, Who's cold? And finally we have an episode and I'm joined by my guys, Damian Barling and Kenny Carroway of Dilo and Casey Show to break down the latest happenings in the NBA. The I s T, by the way, is lit as fuck, So let's get into it, William and drop that motherfucking beat that should be rhon. It's time, It's time, It's time. I saw stat and I was befuddled, I was intrigued, I was shook, and then I became quite fired up because the Detroit Pistons. I said, maybe the Memphis Grizzlies were the worst roster in basketball, but the truth is it's probably the Detroit Pistons. They are so bad. If we were to create an expansion team where you know, an expansion team, how the process works is the way that they build their roster as they, you know, pick the bones off of every other team in the NBA. They get to choose a player and then they steal them outs and you get to have your franchise guys that are unstealable. Outside of the unstealable guys, the Auser, Thompson's, the Cade, Cunninghams, the Jalen Durrenz, there's nobody, maybe Marcus Sasser. There's nobody you would want to steal. You'd say, eh, if you're an expansion team, I'm good. You can just keep all the shit you got going on. This year, they got wax The reason that we're talking about this is that on Monday Night they got absolutely waxed by the two and fourteen Washington Wizards. It was not a competitive pillow fight whatsoever. It was a straight beat down, and I believe it was in Detroit. You got beat the fuck down by Jordan Pool and Kyle Kuzma, a bang up. Jordan Poole gave you buckets. Woof. I am. I am absolutely livid, fired up to the point where I might have the vein popping in the middle of my forehead about how they got to this point. I want to properly frame the scope for you the problem. In twenty twenty twenty two, the same four teams, the Houston Rockets, the Orlando Magic, the OKC Thunder, and the Detroit Pistons finished in the bottom four of the NBA two years in a row, same four teams. This is when you stock up on lottery picks and you build up your coffers. You're obviously your cabinets are bare, you have nothing, and so you tank systematically. Maybe sometimes not by design, but I think for these teams by design. In twenty twenty three, the Rockets finished twenty two and sixty last place, the Magic finished in thirteenth place, thirty four and forty eight in the East, the OKC Thunder finished in tenth place forty and forty two, and the Detroit Pistons finished with the worst record in basketball at seventeen wins and sixty five losses. This year, because this is where it gets stunning. Orlando the Magic, the team that I have chastised for not having any fans and not being worthy of even a breath of discussion besides ten seconds of the word Orlando Magic, they are now one of the most fun teams in the East, one of the most fun teams in the NBA the Sacramento Kings of the East. They are now second in the Eastern Conference. OKC is now second in the West. The Rockets have one of the best defenses in the league. They are seventh in the West. And where are our Detroit Pistons at Little Caesar Caesar Arena? They're dead fucking last. They are dead fucking last, Like I said, getting waxed by Kyle Kuzma and Jordan Poole. Are you serious? How is it possible to have all these fucking lottery picks, including the number one overall draft pick, and still be dead fucking last when other teams in the EXAs exact same spot as you are now rising to the top like the cream. You are steel scum and they are the cream of the crop. To me, it could probably start with Kid Cunningham. But the truth is I had this debate, and so we started kind of talking through the debate, and you could say it starts with Kay Cunningham because he's not consistent for a one A. He's probably closer to a one beror a one seed, but you need him to be a one A because the rest of your roster is fucking trash. And if you need Kid Cunningham to perform for you every night, like he's Janet Jackson, like he's Dave Matthews band had Harrold, like he needs to be on tour three hundred and sixty five days a year and giving you twenty twenty five thirty points a night, You're just You're just sunk. Your team is now in disarray. And we've been going back and forth about Kate being incredibly inefficient. We talked about him being dead last in offensive statistics. But the truth is Kate Cunningham's lack of production and you being upset about Kate Cunningham's lack of production has more to do. Is a symptom really of the sickness, you know what I mean, Like you get a headache, that ache's not the problem. It's maybe you are dehydrated. You may need some water. And this roster is thirsty as fuck. That's the truth. And blaming it on Kate Cunningham. Yeah, maybe Kate Cunningham's not the one A. But Kate Cunningham didn't ask you to take him number one overall when he did absolutely nothing in college besides put up statistics and give you the bus face. It was not up to cad as to where he went in the draft. He gets paid, he plays basketball, and it's up to you to surround him with talent to make Cade shine. Why are OKC, Houston and Orlando all on the rise because not only do they get tremendous production out of their draft picks shake Gilgess Alexander which is for the Clippers that they traded for Paolo Player of the Week this last week, alprin Shangoon. But they have other players to support them. What other players on this Detroit Pistons team do you have besides Jalen Duran that you can rely on? Why would you? It's really an issue. Just did not switch gears. Troy Weaver fucking sucks the GM. You probably don't even know his name if you're a casual fan. The GM of the Detroit Pistons needs to be held to account because he thinks he's smarter than everybody else because he says it like he is. For example, last year, I think they drafted fifth and he was like, I don't care where we draft, I'm gonna get my guy no matter what. He has some sort of crystal ball like Troy Weaver. We have belief in is the guy that's smarter than every other man in the room. I'm sorry, Uh, do you think that you're Sam Presty Because you are not, sir. You do not have the credibility or the track record or the pedigree of the boy wonder Sam Presty. So you don't get up on your press conference booth and start talking all that shit like no matter who you draft, you're going to hit a win. No, this roster is constructed in a way that makes absolutely no sense. You draft Jade and Ivy when you could have gotten Jayalen Williams. Jade and Ivy is a point guard who's ball dominant and can't shoot, just like Kate Cunningham. Why would you pair them together? Even a five year old would know that doesn't make no damn sense. Jalen Williams would have helped it your team out tremendously great glue guy, can shoot, a little bit, tough, can play defense, can handle the ball like he's a wing. You have no wings. You look at the center position, speaking of redundancy and the holes in the roster. I like Jalen Duran, but you already had Isaiah Stewart. And maybe you didn't know what Jalen Duran was gonna be, but you probably seem like you knew what Jalen Duran was gonna be. Why because you traded up in the first round to go and get them who went right after Jalen Fucking Jalen Williams. You could have gotten, You could have gotten Jade and Ivy and Jalen Williams. But you didn't. Why because you got bamboozled and hoodwinked by who the boy Wonder Sam Presty. This team has five point guards, they have five centers. They've got Marvin Bagley, James Wiseman, Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Duran. They have five guards, Killian Hayes, Cad Cunningham, Marcus Sasser, Alec Burks. Why is Alec Burks on this team? Why is Monte Morris on this team? Also, you've got Joe Harris, Burks, Morris and Harris combined making forty million dollars a year. Make it make sense? Respectfully, My question for you is who is a winning player on this team? Like anybody, has anybody done anything of note at any level at any point in their career on this Detroit Pistons team. Why did you draft Luca Garza, Why did you draft Killian Hayes at seven? Why did you trade two second round picks for Joe Harris. It boils down to this. I'm starting to think this organization doesn't know what they're doing. I'm starting to believe that this organization believes they're at the antique road show and they can identify antiquities that have value that no one else could figure out a way to make work aka James Wiseman aka Marvin Bagley, both number two overall picks, and that they have the skills to those guys who have been busted elsewhere into some sort of star. I am sorry, you don't know how to identify talent or antiquities, and you sure as hell don't know how to restore them. Let's talk about who they drafted, Seiku dan Boya at fifteen, not twenty nineteen. That was before Troy Weaver. Will let that be twenty twenty. Killian Hayes number seven, that is a travesty. You also traded for Sadik bay at nineteen, Oh my god, twenty twenty one, k number one all allow it all allow it. Do I like it? No, I do not, but I will allow it. Jade and Ivy number five in twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, and by the way, Jade and Ivy number five horrible, just horrible. Lots of guys that could have gone after Jade and Ivy and did go after Jade and Ivy that they passed on in the Killian Hayes draft. They could have gotten Tyrese Haliburt, Oscar Thompson at five.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 2: I like Oscar Thompson, He's good, But nobody can shoot on this team besides bogged On and Joe Harris. You're like, let's get some old white dudes to be shooters and all the other guys will be the ones that can, like do whatever else. How do you fix the pistons, Well, I'm starting to believe that the way that you fix it is uh to rip the whole thing up and tear it, burn it down. The whole thing smells like must it smells fishy, it smells like me when I've been standing out in the rain. Smells a little too much like wet dog to me. It's gross. Folks. Tear it up, rip it apart, fire everyone and figure out a way to get better at people in there, to find talent, develop talent, and build a damn roster. They might be in for cleaning how soon. And I am fired up about how not just the Pistons, how they got here that how they can insistently stay here, how they are allowed to operate without account because I know a lot of people who do their jobs quite well and they still lose them. And these people in basketball, they continue to stay mediocre, stay bad, and stay employed. Let's move on. It's Wednesday, so you know what time it is. It's time for Hot and Cold, your weekly barometer of the hottest and coldest players in the association. This week, our hottest man in the NBA is a shocking development, a man that I told his agent is RJ Barrett ever going to learn how to shoot? Is your is your client ever going to become a shooter? Is he ever going to become an efficient player? What is he? Is he a tweeter? Is he a two? Is he three?
Speaker 4: What is he?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: But RJ. Barrett is uh the best plus minus player in the entire NBA right now. The maligned shooting guard Slash three is finally on the cusp of a breakthrough. How do we know? He's averaging twenty four and three, but more than that of all players with more than thirty minutes per game. R J Barrett is number one in net rating, ahead of Devin Booker, ahead of Shake Gildas Alexander, ahead of Derek white head of Aunt Edwards, ahead of everyone's favorite new MVP candidate, Jason Tatum. How has he been so good? Partly he is now a three point sniper forty five percent from deep. Is that sustainable? I don't fucking know, but that's a pretty good sign. That is one of the best percentages of a high volume three point shooter in the league, considering that he shot thirty one percent from three last year, one of the worst percentage of high volume shooters. This is an incredible development. But a really overlooked element for r J Barrett this year is that he is shooting eighty four percent from the charity Stripe, huge improvement seventy four percent last year. In addition, his defense has now taking a huge step forward. He is strapping pause. In a recent comeback over the Heat in the final three minutes, RJ Barrett defended Jimmy Butler four times. Jimmy Butler, our man, who's one of the clutchest dudes in the league, one of the easiest guys to say. You can give him the ball and he will get a bucket. Jimmy Butler went zero for four and the Knicks one by two. It's cool. It's cool to see j R. J. Barrett succeed. He's a great dude. Our man rowing, Our man rowing is putting up buckets. Take it up a serious notch. He is the hottest of the hot. Who is the coldest of the cold? Ice cold. Here's an intriguing case study and why being ice cold doesn't mean that you're an ineffective player. I am talking about this man's Cold of the week, ice cube man of the week, no vacilane. We're talking Fred van Fleet in Houston. We all shook our head when the Rockets signed him to a three year, one hundred and twenty nine million dollar contract. Forty million dollars I still believe is a little too much for Fred van Fleet, and yet he is the team leader on a resurgent Rockets team that is currently seventh in the West and has the number one ranked defense in the NBA. The funny thing is he is shooting forty percent from the field, which is fucking horrible, top five worst field goal percentage in the NBA, just ahead of shoot him to the moon Killian Hayes, which seems pretty impossible. Actually, So how is he impacting winning, you might ask, if he cannot shoot to save his fucking life. Well, he doesn't miss free throws. He's hitting ninety percent for the season, which is clutch for a team that plays in a lot of close games, which is insane because it's the Houston Rockets that we're talking about. Second, he's averaging one point one blocks and steals stock stock stocks per game and has a defensive rating of one hundred and ten, which is over four points better than last year on a Toronto team that was supposedly known for its defense. It's almost like it wasn't actually known for its defense. Thirdly, he has the fifth most assist in the NBA this year, which means he is passing the ball really well, shooting that pill to the man right in the bread basket and getting them open easy looks. Add this to the fact that he only turns the ball over one point six times per game, and now the Rockets are shooting to the moon, and that means he has one of the best assistant turnover ratios in the league. So yeah, being cold doesn't always mean you're bad. But Fred van Fleet cold player eyes cold cold the week. Wait till he warms up, baby, then the Rockets will really be cooking. All right. I got a special treat for everyone today. And on my Tuesday spot with Dilo and Casey and Sacramento on ESPN thirteen twenty, we did a full around the league news discussion and I thought it was interesting. And listen, I'm moving, so I don't have a lot of time, so we're gonna repurpose some content for the people. We talk a little bit about Josh Gritty to Chris Paul to Draymond Green. So let's get right into it. Love these guys, K.
Speaker 4: You're good.
Speaker 5: This is my new house. I just moved into a place.
Speaker 4: Horse make more money than Rocky. Look at that joint.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to get like you, Damien. Your house is nice as big.
Speaker 4: You all got one way to go before you're like Damn.
Speaker 5: I mean all of us would be Google.
Speaker 3: Y'all are ridiculous. Man. I still love you both, but y'all are ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Hey, congrats, that's fine. We could see the see the wilderness behind you. You must got it's a forest.
Speaker 5: There's like a half an acre of a yard.
Speaker 3: Oh man, what a basketball?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: DC Maryland or Virginia.
Speaker 5: Virginia a legal bedding zone.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's go.
Speaker 7: I guess I'm a little I'm a little upset though, because this ends the dream that Tristan would move to Sacramento.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a one year lease, voice, so we'll see. All right, we can always move. We can all. It's very easy to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 6: Okay, sometimes stuff happens and I just wait. I was like, let's see if we can get all through Monday without talking about it, because I want Trista to talk about it. Okay, you know, something happened over the weekend we did not talk about yesterday. Anybody want to address what's going on in Oklahoma City?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, Tristan for is yours?
Speaker 3: Anybody want to.
Speaker 6: Talk about Anybody want to talk about Tine?
Speaker 5: By the way, real quick, Malika is having a bad week.
Speaker 3: We'll just say, oh I caught that. I caught this.
Speaker 2: You knew it was gonna happen, because, let's be honest, Melika would have a jerk journalistic responsibility and ethical obligation to bring up an entire segment of this if Josh Giddy was not yet, she would have an obligation for the probably in her mind, for the culture.
Speaker 5: You know, she's she's canvas owensing.
Speaker 2: Everything, you know, the best that she can possibly do. I'll say this, it's it's not great. I looked at the photos, the ones that like surface first, the ig account that's just like like a responsible citizen just deciding to like, hey, I have a I must bring this to the attention of the world.
Speaker 5: In the NBA, like probably.
Speaker 2: A seventeen year old ex boyfriend right like he's probably some salty kid living either in Oklahoma or Australia.
Speaker 3: With a biology class, just really upset.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, I'm gonna get him. He thinks he's slick.
Speaker 2: So it's like a kid that's letting this dirty laundry out. So the photos that came out I saw him in like order of and I hadn't seen any of the news. I'll lied, it just broke, and so I saw them the photos in order of like most clothes to least clothes, and it was like him and the girl and he had his arms wrapped around her at like a carnival, and I'm like, I made who can really say, you know, maybe they're at the carnival, maybe he's best friends with her brother, and like they're just.
Speaker 5: Taking a photo for the grand there's nothing that you could really say is bad.
Speaker 8: And then it's like a little like stranger like maybe the setting is different and it's a little more personal. And then the last photo is like you can see the D'Angelo like hipline on and.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, that was gonna be tough. That one's gonna.
Speaker 7: Be tough to sh Yeah, with the Josh giddy stuff. I mean, I haven't done as much of a deep dive as maybe others.
Speaker 3: Yeah you shouldn't you see what's on that. I think you'll get flagged by.
Speaker 4: If you do too much of a see what's on the timeline?
Speaker 7: I you know, I know what it looks like to me, and what it looks like is not cool, Like it's not okay. But I don't I don't know enough about it. I don't know who she really is, so I don't know, I don't know. You know, I know what it looks like, and that's not cool.
Speaker 3: It's if he's in the lineup tonight.
Speaker 7: In the lineup the other night, right, So so let me ask you guys this. I mean, I feel like there are people are upset that he's in the lineup, isn't And we see this from time to time, and I think there's extenuating circumstances and this may be one of them to be real, But the team in the NBA and everything, they can't just see some some rumors on Twitter and take it, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 3: You're innocent until proven guilty.
Speaker 6: I know people don't like that, but you are right, and they have to determine that he did what.
Speaker 5: I think that's different because a lot of people right.
Speaker 2: Rightly are upset, well I don't know if it's right, but understandably upset that John Morhan sitting out twenty five games for a lighter gun, a gun lighter And to that, I say, it really didn't and he didn't break any laws. And Josh Giddy, if this were to be true, would have.
Speaker 5: Broken a bunch of them. But here's the thing. They didn't suspend jaw for breaking laws.
Speaker 2: They suspended him for that pattern the first you know, Uncle Willie, what was it, strip club Willis was it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so something Willie's shotgun Willie's so that it was the pattern of conduct detrimental to the league, right, it's the appearance of and honestly, they don't want to say this, The league doesn't want to say this, but like the appearance of we'll call it quote unquote thuggery is much more something that they do not want to be associated with as a league than having sex with an underage girl. I mean, Ruben Patterson played, Karl Malone played like they.
Speaker 3: Can celebrated last year, yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was literally a judge in the dunk contest. That's how little the NBA is.
Speaker 3: I mean last year, that was this year, that was season that was earlier, this calendar year.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So the truth is the way that the league was back in the eighties where there was like games were on tape delay, and it was seen as like this, well to say it, like an ultra thuggish persona.
Speaker 5: Whether that's Sue or not. Like they're like a lot.
Speaker 2: Of you know, the the quote unquote violence that was allowed in the game, and this the way that players acted, and that's why they tried to quote unquote clean it up. Right.
Speaker 5: You had the you had the.
Speaker 2: The dress code, you have you have this feeling where we don't want to go back as an NBA. That's the appearance of it, at least from the commissioner's perspective.
Speaker 5: We don't want to even.
Speaker 2: Have the like proximity or the adjacency to quote unquote thuggree. So they come down on Jaw because of the way the owners feel, right and the way that the league feels because it's detrimental to their bottom line because of let's be honest, people who.
Speaker 5: Look like me that watch the game.
Speaker 2: I don't think a one off Josh Gidey thing is going to affect their bottom line nearly to the same extent.
Speaker 5: And that's just real.
Speaker 7: I mentioned that they can't necessarily do anything due to some some you know, Internet rumors, but I'll contradict it or give a flip side to it. There is an investigation going on, and shouldn't they be able to say, Hey, while this investigation is going on, you can't play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll get paid, they just can't play yeah, yeah, you absolutely can't do that dred percent. That's probably what I would do hundred percent. But they they better tiptoe lightly because.
Speaker 6: Well, it's it's it's it's a it's a situation and people are going to have feelings about it. You mentioned the John Morant situation, and I saw it brought up in the chat. Let's not forget what they did with Kyrie Irving and the amount of hoops that Kyrie had to jump through to get back into the lineup, and it took the Kings beating the Nets by thirty seven on national television for the Nets to say, you know what, we think Kyrie's learned his lesson, and they and they and they brought him back. But it was sensitivity training and it was all this public proclamation about Kyrie Irving. Y'all better say the right stuff when it comes to Josh Getty you been y'all better say something that satisfies me.
Speaker 4: Facts.
Speaker 6: I couldn't heat checked by it. If you want one on the Josh Gidty situation. Sorry, TK, what was that?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: I'm glad that you guys waited for Tuesday for me.
Speaker 6: Oh, we had to, we had to, and something just dawned on me too. I don't think in one game two. I don't think the Kings have beat the Warriors in Sacramento since Trista's left.
Speaker 4: Damn it. Who Trista was.
Speaker 3: Here for game one? It was here for game two.
Speaker 4: Sent trist to your jet right now so we could have.
Speaker 3: Well, where's yours?
Speaker 4: I don't google me, google him.
Speaker 5: Once for all the marbles of the ist.
Speaker 3: Maybe I t all right. I don't think I've heard it referred to as that before. It's simple, I get id, but it is Yeah, well that no, let's not do that. That sounds like something else.
Speaker 5: That sounds a little like something you want to get some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds like something you catch it.
Speaker 6: Ricky's so strict, seven oh five J Street, downtown Sacramento.
Speaker 3: You don't want that. You don't want that. It's always, it's always.
Speaker 6: It's always the Warriors, TK, It's always the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Draymond's first game back from suspension, he said, this man said, you're not gonna get me to apologize for choking a man out. I was doing my best to protect my teammates.
Speaker 5: I do that.
Speaker 2: I am ten toes down. You know me, Draymond best teammate in history for the Dubs. Our Dubs do not mind the fact.
Speaker 5: That I punched my teammate.
Speaker 2: You do not mind that I have dismantled this organization from the inside out. He better this team better start winning. Folks are Dubs or Joe Lacup. Uncle Joe is going to have to start making some We not have to. He doesn't have to.
Speaker 5: He's a billionaire.
Speaker 2: He is going to start making some hard choices about who is in this lineup and who is on this team come trade deadline.
Speaker 5: And if I am Klay Thompson and I am.
Speaker 2: Draymond Green, I would be I would be concerned about the success of the regular season at this moment because he said many times, I am not paying this amount of money in luxury tax payments for a team that's a play and team. I barely wanted to do it when you were a six seed.
Speaker 4: So is that what has Clay Thompson all stressed out right now? Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you serious? He can't even get his money. We knew this was an issue last year.
Speaker 2: Actually during the King Series Game one, before the game they were talking about how Clay wants max money and max money he will not get so you either accept that men or you start wondering what life is like in s hit for zach Lavin.
Speaker 6: Oh, oh, he can't do that. You can't get a bat minimum deal from Golden State. Like that's not even a that's not really okay.
Speaker 4: We'll call it.
Speaker 2: We'll call it bi annual exception, or call it you know, we'll call it mid level. He's not getting maxim You can't give that man even in the thirties. He's got to accept something in the in the twenties. But just get Bruce Brown money.
Speaker 6: In that case, I understand why he's upset because he's looking at Draymond.
Speaker 4: Mike.
Speaker 6: You just gave that dude twenty five per year for four years. I understand why Clay would be upset in that situation.
Speaker 7: And and I'll set that you gave Draymond that basically, and I'm not completely against this. I understand it the the Kobe treatment where you're not that anymore, but thank you for your services, and we're gonna pay you that way.
Speaker 4: And Clay's looking at it like if.
Speaker 7: You're given him that, I need that because I'm way more vital to what we just did.
Speaker 2: Except for you already got the Kobe treatment when you sat there and got the max deal after the after the twenty nineteen season and you tore your a cl and they still maxed you out and you were gone for two and a half years.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: You got max money for two and a half years and you did not play a lick of basketball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right about that. They did give them that contract.
Speaker 6: Need one of them called you think they I mean when you talk about you talk about what someone means to a franchise. If Steph God forbid Tares's Achilles, you pay Steph for the next four you tell you pay Steph until Steph goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to pay me one hundred million anymore.
Speaker 6: That's what you do. That's the Kobe treatment. You don't do that for Clay or Draymond. That's why what Draymond got Draymond the season they had is bath.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about Clay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I got you because that's unlike anything we've ever seen in Again.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 6: If you do that for Draymond, though, you have to do it for Clay. That's my opinion, and that's that's just let the ship think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think I don't think Joe lacub wants to do that.
Speaker 2: And if I am Joe, I'm thinking, Okay, well, we had one bad year. We got balanced out of the to the Lakers Wigs. He had that personal time. You're making excuses for your team, right, You're like, well, Wiggs wasn't with the team for like two months. He wasn't right, He's not in condition. You know, Clay took some time to ramp back up. He wasn't in condition. He played a lot better Draymond. There was this cloud hanging over the team. But like, none of this happens according to Steph without Draymond. So like, let's pay Draymond. Worst case scenario, we can trade Draymond. That's an asset that will be we can finesse another team like the Lakers clutch sports guy to get him, and maybe we get some role players out of it. Right, if you're doing it for Clay, the jig is up on Clay. We know what it is. He was one of the best two way shooting guards in the league, and he's now a one way shooting guard that's not particularly good at the one way either right now, and he's jacking up threes early on the shot clock, off the dribble. We know he can get hot at any time, but when is that time coming? And like guys that can't do what he used to do, they're just not very valuable. Trading him would be extremely difficult. We're trading a guy like Draymond on a team that's a piece away. You need a defensive presence. Even if he was to go back to Detroit and help.
Speaker 5: Those young boys, that kind of a thing. I think Troy Weaver could be finessed. That's how I would see it.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can finesse anyone if you pay Clay he is a boat anchor on your squad.
Speaker 3: Two things unrelated, but we'll pass along from Sean Sharania. LaMelo Ball suffered a serious brain in his right ankle on is likely to miss extended time.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: That means to do surgery probably.
Speaker 6: Test show Ball avoided a fracture in the ankle which required surgery last season, and a cautious approach is expected. So it sounds like they're probably gonna not do the surgery to start and cross their fingers.
Speaker 3: That's tough. Wow, that's tough. That's tough. Yeah, that's tough question.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask you earlier. I'll throw at Trista and I'd like your response earlier. This is what I took a note on because we were joking about the Wizards, uh pistons.
Speaker 4: I was really watching that game last night. I know, j and iviws.
Speaker 7: They were like they had a Jaden Ivy highlight package and they were like, Oh, he's drawn dimes and l oops and he's scoring. I was like, dang, Jay Knivey must be going off four points five assist.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 6: It was as equally as compelling as watching the seventy six Ers meat the.
Speaker 4: Lakers by, like, oh, they beat the Brakes up there.
Speaker 3: All jokes aside, would Jordan Poole be? Would the Warriors be better if Jordan Poole was still on the team?
Speaker 6: Would well, would Jordan Poole be the nightly low light if he was in a Warriors uniform? And let's let's work the hypothetical to his full ex extent. You had to pick one. You picked Jordan, and Draymond's gone, no, I.
Speaker 5: Don't think so?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, but I I I wasn't even calculating how tense that relationship still would be. But like I'm thinking Jordan in the lineup over Clay and what that looks like offensively Clay maybe coming off the bench, and then you like don't pay him or figure it out.
Speaker 5: I still don't like it.
Speaker 2: This team has major issues right, the whole two timeline thing. It's it's so difficult, and I know that they've done a decent job, given the fact that they did win a championship two years ago, but like when in history can you just not you're a dynasty and then you like almost spring from the ashes like a phoenix without the burndown, Right, Like when can you be a dynasty that current dynasty ends and then a new one begins without a period of like scorched earth and rebuild. It just doesn't really happen. And for whatever reason, unless you have some some star that you have lucked into, like the next step you've drafted him instead of instead.
Speaker 5: Of our our man James Wiseman.
Speaker 2: But like that's such a thread of the needle and the arrogance to believe that that's what you can do and that's what you will do to have dominance for twenty plus years is what Joe Lacobs said he wants he wants to He wants to be a dynasty until his grandson is his age, is what he I think he said, which is just insane.
Speaker 6: He also said the Lady Warriors whatever they're called, they're gonna win a title in their first five years, all right, which if you know the league, you know that's comical.
Speaker 4: All right, Joe, all right, now.
Speaker 7: The thing about the Jordan Poole thing is I'd wish you to the whole story. That's I think the whole story has to be said about Jordan Poole. This is just my belief. I could be wrong reading too much into it. That incident with Draymond changed him forever, and he was not the same guy that he was before. That was that, I don't want to say he didn't carry him. It was Staph doing this thing. But when Drake couldn't do nothing and Clay couldn't do nothing, they were like, Jordan, we need you to get twenty five. And he would do it, and he helped them win that championship. That guy's gone forever, in my opinion, and if if and part of why that guy's gone forever is not only what happened, but the aftermath. The aftermath and the way the organization handled that situation messed him up. You know, he's probably not trusting right now. You probably didn't have the same care free joy about before that active.
Speaker 5: Like he's playing with joy though. This man passed up a wide open MIDI but what Yeah, it was like an underhand like that's a Lebron. It looked like the Lebron baby powder, you know, toss but like to try.
Speaker 3: To make a basket and it didn't work.
Speaker 4: It got swatted on.
Speaker 3: It was the ninth I counted it was at least the ninth row. Yeah, it was not good. He's bad, He's but I also think that's uh, that environment, that's the team, that's what you built. That's that's you. I mean, God, wes Unselt, God bless you, brother.
Speaker 4: This is it r I P.
Speaker 6: Because you ain't gonna make it through this, and I don't know who's gonna come. I don't know how you fixed this, Like you've you've set capable players and you've allowed them to establish these bad tendencies.
Speaker 5: What what I guess Jason Kidd is probably but he's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask what black coach comes in, fails miserably, and then gets another head.
Speaker 3: Coaching job, fails miserably. And Jason Kidd did Jason, No, he didn't.
Speaker 2: He. I mean, there was some good things happening with Yannis, good things happening with the Nets.
Speaker 3: So I can't think of one.
Speaker 7: The one, you know, the one that you could think of, and I still wouldn't call it fail miserably. Mike Brown, I don't think, uh, the Cleveland, the second Cleveland was a little round, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't call it, but everybody like, I mean, but I mean, I don't do that.
Speaker 2: Your first stint. You haven't succeeded at all any other time. This is like it's opportunity one. We're giving you the ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go and be the captain.
Speaker 2: Stormy seas happened, shipwrecks, You're no longer able to be a captain of a boat anymore.
Speaker 4: Normally it doesn't happen.
Speaker 7: And that's why people were so upset with Steven Nash, because the black coaches don't Usually they usually get the Washington's in the Houston's. They don't get Brooklyn. You know what, Kad and Kyrie that's why people were so upset up.
Speaker 5: I almost got fired over that.
Speaker 2: Oh for what from Barstool I wrote about that, that exact premise that you just said, Kenny, And how laughable that movie.
Speaker 3: Barstool almost fired you. That is stunning to hear. I for one, am shocked.
Speaker 7: I do want to hear from Christa about this one though, Chris Paul, Scott Foster's gotten out of control. If you asked me, it was already out of control, and it's even more out of control nowba. I mean, the NBA just gonna stick their head in the sand still with this whole thing and still have him on.
Speaker 2: We need a truth We need a truth sayer to tell us what it is that could possibly be personal between these two dudes. And like I heard on Reddit or I read on Reddit that like Scott Foster had son that's like a rest in like a a a U league or whatever, and then Chris Paul's son was getting the Scott Foster treatment. I don't know if that's true at all, And like, what could it be about his son that Scott Foster years ago? Because Chris Paul said he sat in a room with Mike Delaney, doc Rivers. Yeah, Scott Foster his dad, Chris Paul's.
Speaker 1: Dad, how.
Speaker 7: For christ Yes, And it didn't go well. They didn't even they were even like all faced.
Speaker 2: All there, Houston, OK, c uh, Phoenix, Washington, Golden State and.
Speaker 7: They had that meeting that pow wow, and Chris Paul was like, yeah, it didn't go well, and they just just move on.
Speaker 4: NBA just moved on.
Speaker 5: For every game he's and he he refs way too many Chris Paul games for my life. Yeah, there's it's almost like the league's like, oh yeah, you don't like stop Foster. We're having him reff every meaningful game that you play in. He's like one in thirteen in the games that got Foster rest.
Speaker 2: And I think he's been an I think he's been favored. His team's been favored in like ninety percent of those games. So I've lost games that they were favored in. Guys have three percent battery life. I wish I could talk.
Speaker 5: I really do have to go.
Speaker 6: You know how Trista's house is fired? She got that Rick Ross Echo, Oh yeah yeah, she got that man.
Speaker 4: A lot of space, a lot of space.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Congratstard next time, Yeah, please do please do uh.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Go charge your phone.
Speaker 5: Love you guys.
Speaker 6: Bye, Chris the Craig taking us down to the to the last percentage of her battery life.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for this episode that he checked. Huge thank you to my guys, Damien Barling and Kenny Caraway of Dilo and Casey in Sacramento. I love Trista Tuesday so much I might have to drop something in from him every single week. Come back tomorrow for an all new episode and check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop unexpectedly throughout the week. Download download, please download, subscribe, and please tell your friends, every single one of them, even that angry dude buying the red velvet cupcakes from Wegman's.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know that guy. He looks just too angry to be in a Wegman's line. And follow us at socialie at this heat checking interest to creick on TikTok, Instagram and Twitter, and we'll see you next time.