Speaker 1: Cool media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Bucket we Ball, all right, yeah, Bucket we Ball, Welcome to it could happen here. We have a pretty sizable panel today. I'm Garrison Davis. I have been forced to watch many hours of daily Wire plus exclusive programming at gunpoint.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: My co hosts mostly Robert Evans, uh huh.
Speaker 4: We are joined by Mia Wong. I was not involved in the kidnapping and what this is on the record. We have a sports consultant, James Stout.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, I'm here to talk about sports.
Speaker 3: That's right. And we have our resident, a subject matter ex for in basketball, Sophie Ray Lichterman.
Speaker 5: I'm so afraid, so so.
Speaker 3: How how many of you have seen it, at least the trailer for Lady Ballers? Because I'm assuming I'm the only one that's actually watched this movie.
Speaker 2: I tried to watch through the trailer of Lady Ballers, and then I had a realization that my time on this earth is finite and precious, and so instead I went and looked at a cloud.
Speaker 3: Okay, anyone else I saw part of the trailer. Do we want to watch a one minute trailer?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, yep.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: I haven't taken on in aus troll this week. Let's watch a one minute trailer.
Speaker 6: Gear.
Speaker 2: Okay, time to get black pilled. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna subject the panel here to the Ladyballer's trailer, which then you'll hear their reaction, do you afterwards?
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. So this was mostly an excuse for them to like slow mo video of hitting women, right, Yeah, that was the primary reason for doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't need to see that whole thing that was really upsetting.
Speaker 1: The reason why I wanted to actually show you is because I'll never get that minute back.
Speaker 3: As what I's it's not even like it's not even like offensive or triggering, it's just it's just poorly made. It's it's it's just not very good. And before we continue. I want to actually talk about why we're talking about this, because you know, whenever I say to my friends, Hey, do you want to come over and watch Lady Ballers, Everyone's like, why would you do that?
Speaker 1: And the reason, Garrison I.
Speaker 3: Saw this twice. The reason is is because I think it is actually important to know what your enemy is up to. It's important to see what they think. Good media is it's important to see how they are they are trying to shape the world around them, and I think fiction gets a lot closer to the actual outlook these people have than sometimes their nonfiction stuff like That's why Robert has done deep dives on on Ben Shapiro's books on Behind the Bastards for years. Whenever these guys get the opportunity to make their own complete world, whenever they get to play as God and create a thing that reflects their soul, it's a lot more insightful than like a two hour podcast of them ranting. So that's why I decided to actually put a lot of work into digging into this movie. So I have the structure of this episode split up into three parts.
Speaker 5: Can you stop sharing your screen? It's very distracting image.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeahs fascinating to see what Garrison gets recommended.
Speaker 5: There is a screenshot of like all the like grab photos from a bunch of Daily Wire plus.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I do have some slides to show the class.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do. Can you remove that one thing?
Speaker 2: You know, Sophie, Sophie, Just just to bring this up, we have Garrison's address. We could swap them and put it into this.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna answer it. I'm not gonna answer that on a podcast. Yeah, yeah, silence.
Speaker 3: I have this episode structured into three parts. The first one, we're gonna go into just a very basic overview of the plot so we have an understanding of what this movie actually contains. Then we're gonna go into the production of this movie because the actual behind the scenes a development of this film is also incredibly insightful. And then finally we're gonna go into jokes and ideology because these two things go hand in hand. Both of them reveal more about how the other operates. So first off, I have I have the title card for Lady Ballers here in the movie. It's not very good. And this movie was written, directed, produced, and is starring the Daily Wire CEO Jeremy Boring, So this is like, this is a wait, this is guy. Yes, that is the CEO.
Speaker 1: Film to have himself in What is sad Man? We start in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: He is he is incredibly boring, Sophie an excellent observation.
Speaker 5: And tries to make himself look like Jordan Peterson as much as he possibly can, and it's quite disturbing.
Speaker 3: Well, Jordan Peterson is now his employee.
Speaker 2: So, my god.
Speaker 3: We start in two thousand and eight. Jeremy Boring has a horrendous Tony Stark go tee which I'm currently showing the class on my side.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, that's that's a self harm level of facial hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you assume, man on, that's what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Ah, Jeremy, No, you have to not do that.
Speaker 5: Not good?
Speaker 1: Why does it stop? Why is her little break?
Speaker 3: I thought, that's not good, Like I said, a horrible Tony Stark level go tee. He is the coach of a high school basketball team who's about to lose the Tennessee State championships. The coach gives an impassioned speech in the locker room that ends with the team chanting the coach's motto quote, winners are just losers who win.
Speaker 1: Unquote.
Speaker 3: You hear this line throughout the movie constantly. Winners are just losers who win. This is a core part of how this movie operates. Now, the team's able to pull it together in the second half and coach Jeremy Bording leads the team to victory, becoming three time state championships. We then flash fifteen years later. Coach Jeremy is failing to keep the attention of the new generation who are too busy on their phones to learn basketball, and is fired from his high school coaching job. To make matters worse, he's recently divorced and his wife's new boyfriend is a liberal who's brainwashing his daughter played by Matt Walsh, who I have a screencap here as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, what the actual fuck do we know? The budget for this movie, by the way.
Speaker 3: Not exactly, but it is not cheap based on how much they paid for casting.
Speaker 1: This cost multiple.
Speaker 3: Hundreds of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a few million into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's very funny that the part of the integral part of the play is one being angry about Big Divorced and not at all telling that.
Speaker 3: Is a huge part of this movie is Big Divorce energy, which actually will play into the ideology of the film as well. So we have Matt wallsheer in a wig with man bun. He's wearing like a like a like like a burgundy button up dress, sitting on a manicured lawn with like rainbows, flags and stuff. Anyway, so this is this is who Jeremy was cucked to. Now Jeremy gets a new job at a restaurant that happens to be drag themed. No, there are no actual drag queens, just men in ugly wigs and poor fitting clothing. Here he meets the former star point guard of his basketball team from fifteen years ago. The coach enters his former player into a local track and field contest to win five thousand dollars, but the men's events are full. Luckily, the former basketball player is still wearing his wig from the drag restaurant, and.
Speaker 1: The why queen's doing continue this. You cannot question the.
Speaker 6: Screen right, great, okay, good to know, thank you.
Speaker 3: But the woman at the sign up table is luckily covered in trans pride pins and mistakes the former basketball player for a trans woman and adds him to the woman's division. With a little convincing and some fake boobs, the coach gets the player to agree to compete in the women's division. The guy easily wins every event in the track and field match, as the women competitors just scowl at him. This attracts the attention of a local female reporter, the journalist character, who is weirdly horny for Jeremy Boring, like uncomfortably horny for Jeremy Boring something. It's like, Oh, Jeremy, Jeremy, you wrote, directed, and started this. You you created this whole scenario. Yeah, very very interesting.
Speaker 1: What else would the the made woman character do then be horny for Jeremy? Hoh the fuck?
Speaker 3: The journalist is seeze through the coaches scheme, but proposes that they team up to create a national news story by having trans women or people pretend to be trans women compete in the US Open for the Global Games by exploiting their new diversity and inclusion clause.
Speaker 1: Very funny that they think this is how this is a real thing. This isn't a real thing. This is they don't understand how journalism happens.
Speaker 7: You don't.
Speaker 8: You don't create the story like it is, very funny movie. He despises journalists. Well, that is how they do. Yeah, very it's very correct. They've revealed that they kind of didn't take journalism one o one.
Speaker 3: No, the whole point of the Daily Wire is literally creating new stories themselves.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyone what I've seen the next picture.
Speaker 3: But to play basketball once again, they first have to put the old team back together. First, they recruit two brothers who own a used car dealership, and then they travel to Michigan to find another teammate who is living ted K style in the woods after being traumatized by an enemy team mascot as a teenager. None of us is explained.
Speaker 1: They just wanted to do that trope. They just want they just want okay, yeap.
Speaker 3: Needing one more team member, they recruit the desperately lonely gay coded towel Boy, who now owns a mansion after selling his tech company. After learning about the coach's plan to play in the women's league, the team is initially upset, but after another impassioned speech about winning from the coach, the players agree to join the Lady Ballers. The coach's daughter stops by to explain to gender identity concepts to them that she learned in school, like how women can have beards just like her art teacher in kindergarten. The Lady Ballers easily win their first basketball game and skyrocket into fame as the first all trans women's basketball team. After their first taste of victory, they start competing in all women's sports, obviously dominating every single one.
Speaker 5: Because these like burnout old dudes are going to be better than every female at the encounter.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, that's the it's the it's the joke about like I take the stage against Serena Williams, confident that being a man will allow me to beat her her past sales through my body and I die instantly.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, now, this, this whole winning all of the sports section is conveyed through the classic cinematic technique of the montage, which is just as bad as you can imagine.
Speaker 4: I have a clip from the montage here. It was you really ashamed given that the montage was invented famously by Soviet cinematographers.
Speaker 3: Is now this was this was definitely a reference to this definitely definitely reference to Soviet era film. Absolutely voter.
Speaker 5: You're showing me fake Joe Biden sniffing this person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like he's stiffing little Jonathan van Ness.
Speaker 3: So this is this is this is the gay coated towel boy. Oh who was invited to the Houses International Women's by God, and.
Speaker 5: We have jock and rubbing his shoulders.
Speaker 3: It's called the Washington rag magazine. Democracy dies in print, very very.
Speaker 6: Clear, really scything with insightful.
Speaker 1: That's such a bomber garrison.
Speaker 3: After the Lady Baller's way of success, the coach's ex wife confronts him about what he's doing and calls the Ladyballers not real girls, to the shock of her new woke boyfriend. Sorry, this is this is actually a really important scene.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The coach's daughter expresses to him that she wants to be a boy because she wants to be a winner and because quote boys are better at everything unquote, which the coach denies, but he does admit that are better at all sports as well as quote driving, parking, most of the stemfields, rock and roll, and opening pickle jars unquote. This is not played as a joke. This is played completely straight. The coach then explains to his daughter that girls can be better at all sorts of things like quote, being nurturing, sensitive, empathetic, being better at doing lots of things at once, and caring for a lot of people at once, being better at communicating and building community. And they civilize men. It's the only reason we have a civilization. No women, no world unquote, which is a deeply revealing a line from Jeremy Boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's how these yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: He then God, He.
Speaker 5: Then explains, So that's so boring, it's such a lame take.
Speaker 3: He then explains to his daughter that the main thing that women can do that men can't is give birth, and that's the special gift from God. The coach goes home after his talk with his The journalist is waiting for him there. He's expressing concern about men competing in women's sports, but she rants about how divorce is evil and threatens to cancel him if he doesn't cooperate.
Speaker 5: Garrison, Garrison, sorry, why is only one person in this screen cap wearing a wig?
Speaker 3: That's a great question, Sophie, that never gets never gets explained.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna show us some montage. I'm very excited to see you.
Speaker 3: I'm not showing No, I'm not showing you my pirate my pirated copy of Lady Follers listeners.
Speaker 5: There's like a screen cap from the movie and it's the entire basketball team and all all the men are not wearing wigs except one guy.
Speaker 3: This is actually a different basketball team, which I will I will.
Speaker 1: Get you one person wearing a wig. Let Let let me get to it.
Speaker 3: The people get to it. This is this is very carefully structured plot, Sophie. You gotta understand that the genius of Jeremy Boring is scripting requires time to digest. So the Lady Ballers arrive at their final qualifying game, but instead of finding a women's basketball team to play against, the opposing team, the Cowgirls, is now suddenly all made up of extremely large black men accompanied by this female journalist. The Lady Ballers get absolutely smoked during the first half, but during halftime, the coach has a change of heart. He tells the team to man up and forfeit all of their previous qualifying wins because they don't want their legacy to be a racing women from women's sports.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: So this is the opposing team made up of I think it's just it's it's some college basketball team in Nashville, and oh yeah, only one of them is wearing a wig. It's it's all, it's it's playedoff as a joke. It is all kind of racist. The female journalist tries to assassinate Jeremy Boring with a sniper rifle, but missings because the coach happens to lean down to pick up a penny.
Speaker 1: What yeah, abnormal Italian normal thing.
Speaker 4: I mean this, this, this makes this this. This is the second piece of media release in the last few months where the lesson is always take a second shot. This is also the plot of Barvel's Echo The journalist stay, the journals got.
Speaker 3: Close, Then suddenly the first player to join the lady Ballers comes out to the coach that they actually feel like a woman, but the coach convinces them that they are delusional and then assaults them in the genitals and walks away.
Speaker 1: What the why? Sorry the next why are they like this?
Speaker 5: Every screencap just gets worse and worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a child. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, Before the second half of the game starts, the coach replaces the Ladyballers with his daughter and her friends. The other team then helps the little because because they don't want their legacy to be replacing women in women's sports, so instead they instead, the coach uses his daughter and her friends to be like, look, women play girls playing sports. It doesn't make very much sense. But the other team helps the little girls play the game, but they ultimately crushed the little girls four hundred and eighteen to six, and this has played off as like a funny a funny bit. We cut to nine months later, the brothers used cardi. Theirship is now also a kid's sports center where the coach is now teaching, and he has changed his motto to quote winners are just losers who do what's right. Unquote what true? What this this this is the real ending of the movie.
Speaker 9: But but that doesn't make any sense. That doesn't make any sense for the context of the movie. No, that's now, this is we're not moving past that.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: That's that's nothing. I love have angreed this fucking tagline, and they didn't take any time to make even even coh like.
Speaker 3: Winners are just losers who do what's right because because the Ladyballers are the real winners because they admitted to losing its sports to do any right, which is to not lie about being women. That I think that's what they're trying to say, but it doesn't make very much sense. It's all very convoluted.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean, my my high school basketball coach told me to cry on the inside like a winner after my shoulder popped out of its socket.
Speaker 6: But that's just good advice, Sophie. That's what I tell everybody on Garrison started getting traumatized by the Daily Wire.
Speaker 2: That's what I told you.
Speaker 1: My high school rugby coach just relocated my shoulder for me and told me to get on with it. So I'm glad that we both have shoulder trauma. This screen cap is just wow. Sorry, Garrett, please continue.
Speaker 3: So after this what's played off as like a heartwarming ending, we cut away to a car parked from across the street looking at the kids playing basketball. Ominous music starts playing. It's Matt Walsh's character holding a long lens camera taking pictures of the scene. He takes his man bun Wig off, and Matt Walsh says quote another sweet Daddy Walsh ad venture comes to a satisfying conclusion, the camera zoom's back to reveal Candice Owens sitting in the passenger seat. She remarks, I don't understand how you did anything to help make the situation any better, to which Walsh replies, don't you, and then starts doing the most forced, unconvincing maniacal laughter I've ever heard. The camera pans down to the car's headlights and we cut to credits, and the most sonic the hedgehog ass butt rock plays as the film closes. So this is played as a reveal that Matt Walsh's character was actually secretly Matt Walsh who was manipulating this whole situation to show people that trans women in sports is bad. That's what they're trying to play off as the twist, ending that this was all a quote unquote Daddy Walsh adventure.
Speaker 1: We do have a post credit.
Speaker 4: Actually said he actually yes, literally said another sweet Daddy Walsh.
Speaker 2: Was the phrase Daddy Walsh used at any point previously in the movie.
Speaker 3: No, because okay, previously Walsh was playing a liberal boyfriend. But we now reveal that was all that, that was all part of his scheme. This was all part of Matt Walsh's scheme.
Speaker 1: Actually, Garrison, I'm I'm gonna need you to cut the audio for another Sweet Daddy Walsh ad venture because I think that will be something we can use a lot. That's that's closer, will I will?
Speaker 3: I will ad that.
Speaker 7: Here another Sweet Daddy Walsh Adventure comes to a satisfying conclusion.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about? I don't understand how anything you did helped to make this situation better, don't you? But we do have a post credit scene. In the post credit scene, we see the basketball player that came out as Trands to the coach in the climax of the film, in conversion therapy, talking about their childhood to none other than doctor Jordan B. Peterson.
Speaker 5: Fuck shake, Garrison, great, So why why are you doing this to us?
Speaker 2: I'll say this.
Speaker 6: It sounds like a movie, does it?
Speaker 1: Does it?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 1: Not a very good one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a good one. But do you.
Speaker 3: Know what is really good for all of us? Ad break taking? I think taking a quick ad break to digest and think about what we've all just experienced.
Speaker 5: I kind of stream into the void. But yeah, all right, we are back. Wasn't that a fun?
Speaker 3: A fun recap of the Daily Wires hit new movie Lady Ballers, streaming exclusively on The Daily Wire Plus. So let's go into the actual production of this thing, because this is also deeply revealing. So The Daily has a sports podcast called Crane and Company, hosted by two brothers who claimed to be former athletes. A few years back, Ben Shapiro approached them with the idea of making a documentary about them trying to join some women's sports leagues. This idea, however, was quickly abandoned due to the obvious fact that women's sports leagues don't allow men, and the Daily Wire hosts apparently did not want to go through the process of transitioning and the years of hormone are was necessary to qualify for women's sports for a documentary that would exclusively stream on The Daily Wire Plus.
Speaker 6: Man, I would have respected it if that had If that had been what they did, though, that would have been a different, different thing.
Speaker 3: I will actually insert this clip here just because it's really useful to hear them say this, because they just admit the quiet part out loud here.
Speaker 11: So you approached me and you said we should make a fictional film about this topic, now'd be fair. I think I'd actually suggested as the Grain Boys that they do this as a doc.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 11: I originally went to them and I said, you guys should like go try out for a bunch of ladies' leagues, And that became not possible because, as it turns out, most ladies leagues don't allow in actual men men, and they weren't willing to go at the full distance in terms of what it would require in order to you know, the actual hormone treatments and everything to play in some of the ladies' leagues.
Speaker 1: But in any case, it turned into this. So there we go.
Speaker 3: A very clear admission from Ben Shapiro that this entire premis is fake, that this I premis could never work, And so after disproving their own premise, what's left to do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: The CEO of The Daily Wire and failed Hollywood producer Jeremy Boring wanted to take this idea from Ben and just do it as a fictional movie, because fiction's arguably more powerful than reality. So for his directorial debut, Jeremy wanted to make something reminiscent of early two thousands comedies, and he was frequently rough frinst Dodgeball as aspiration for this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: Which is it to be fair? Is it insults to Dodgeball?
Speaker 6: No, that's a that's an actual movie.
Speaker 1: Contains some genuinely funny scenes, characters.
Speaker 2: I think script like Vince Vaughan actually is a conservative, but he's also an actor.
Speaker 3: I think Boring is definitely stuck in the early two thousands as culture because that is when he tried to break into Hollywood. So that's kind of what his idea of what movies are is. Very much is trapped in the early early two thousands. He has he has a quote from that interview with Ben Shapiro, quote, There's not been a true comedy made since Barack Obama became president. Obama destroyed three things comedy, rock and roll, and America. Other than that he was an average president.
Speaker 4: Fucking hell own strikes on every fucking rock band.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah, that's why he took a predictor drawing to Linen skin. It's house.
Speaker 2: Only if only.
Speaker 3: Jeremy Boring also remarked, quote, it became impossible to tell a joke in the Obama administration because Obama made a pact with culture shapers that they should change the fundamental understanding of themselves unquote, and he's talking about how comedy became a way to progress social change instead of a way to point out the absurdity in the world. So Jeremy decided to move forward with the production of Lady Ballers in mid March of twenty twenty three, which, if you are good at math, you realize is less than a year than when it came out. The script for Lady Ballers was written in just two weeks.
Speaker 1: Sounds right, yep, well that I absolutely believe. Did they use GBT? It is? It is?
Speaker 3: It is possible. The entire production had to be very rushed, since Jeremy needed to be in Hungary in the beginning of July to shoot the Daily Wires New Fantasy mini series. But Jeremy says the biggest production hurdle wasn't budgetary or the very tight pre production and shooting schedule. It was the casting process. Every single actor they approached for every single role. Is that is a direct quote? Said no. Even the conservative actors who have said that they've want to work with the Daily Wire have already worked with the Daily Wire. Even canceled actors declined after hearing the pitch for Lady Ballers Man, which isn't surprising because the movie is not very good, So instead of hiring actual actors, they just decided to use Daily Wire employees love this obviously. Writer director and Daily Wire CEO Jeremy Boring stars as coach rob I'm refusing to call him that. I'm just gonna call him coach Jeremy because that's who he is. The three hosts of the sports podcast The Crane and Company are three of the Lady Wallers. Matt Walsh plays the hippie husband of Robinson.
Speaker 5: They claim to have been like athletes, like high school or college athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a different thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine Ben Shapiro was used as a football but as close as they.
Speaker 1: Get, Bench Peary was the one on top of the cheerleading tower. He's a little guy. He didn't been good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have we have Matt Walsh playing the hippie, woke husband. Daily Wire hosts Michael Knowles and Brett Cooper, both of whom are failed actors, play newscasters. Then we have Daily Wire hosts Ben Shapiro, cand of Sowans, Andrew Clavin and Jordan Peterson all have Cameo Roles, so I was able to excitedly point out all eleven Daily Wire employees to my friend as they forced them to watch this with me.
Speaker 1: Still, so the.
Speaker 2: Roder we have mental health care through the company, right, Yeah, we might need to get a fifty one to fifty on Garrison just for a couple of couple of couple of three day cycles.
Speaker 6: Oh, they cleared this out of their heads.
Speaker 5: I was actually disassociating and thinking about how one day I hope to cast all of us in a basketball movie.
Speaker 2: A movie you mean, a movie about the actual time that I outshot Lebron James. Sure, yeah, that makes that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So I've seen Robert send a pool ball about head height across a crowded once. I am sure it would be very similar.
Speaker 2: That was just a brief demonstration of my power. James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you redunked that pool balls. I mean Christmas to see.
Speaker 5: I thought the worst basketball movie I saw was the one on Disney Channel where they had two twins that were basketball players but they weren't actually twins, and it looked nothing alike and it was just really really poor production and bad.
Speaker 1: But this is it.
Speaker 3: I thought there was basketball movie I've seen was Space Jam two.
Speaker 1: But this this now, no, no, no, you loved that movie. You talked about that movie for so long.
Speaker 3: It's not a good movie.
Speaker 1: So it is really bad.
Speaker 3: So Lady Ballers was shot in less than a month under the fake name Coach Miracle Now. According to reporting from the National Scene, background actors and crew were misled about the production before signing on to the movie, just being told it was a basketball comedy. The name The Daily Wire was hidden in the contracts and extras had to sign NDAs it appears, the production company went by the name Bonfire Legend, which is also the production company going forward with The Daily Wires Fantasy mini series and a few other upcoming projects. So be on the watch for anything called Bonfire Legend if you're signing up to be a background extra for a movie in Nashville. Well, I was able to locate the online casting sheet for the movie and it has this description quote casting extras kids, skilled sports.
Speaker 1: Sports is in parentheses.
Speaker 3: By the way it is, it doesn't make sense as as a sentence. But casting extras kids, skilled sports and background for a misfit Team inspired basketball comedy Misfit Team.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, that's skilled.
Speaker 1: God. I found there. I found they like the recruiting thing for the Coach Miracle project. Oh god, there's some terrible shit in here. I guess they seemed to want to start. It was supposed to be about t ball initially. Well there is there is.
Speaker 3: There is a scene where when I see when the athletes start entering all of the women's divisions, they they do enter a t boll contest as well. That is that is that is during the montage.
Speaker 2: I guess they just couldn't give up that great idea.
Speaker 3: Despite the on disclosure agreement, local background actors in Nashville did come out and warn people about the production once they figured out the Daily Wires involvement and the movie's anti trans messaging. One extra, a trans man who unwittingly signed onto the movie, said that Daily Wire fans from around the country traveled to Nashville to be in the film once they learned it was shooting in Tennessee, and according to background actors, certain props and costuming were hid on set to downplay the transphobia while shooting. After some extras voiced concerns and objections to props and signs which read stuff like baller Pride and various other kind of like trans related jokes. To quote the Nashville scene quote. During a break from filming, several actors voiced their objections and were quote unquote screaming about the Daily Wires involvement with the film before being escorted out of the building unquote. Protests were held outside of filming locations for the duration of the shoot. These protests also served to inform unaware cast and crew about the movie's messaging. Filming was initially supposed to take place at Belmont University, but that got canceled as the Daily Wires deception regarding the production of the film was made public. So good on everyone who was coming out against this after they realized what was happening. Good on everyone for protesting disrupting these sorts of things. I think is a vital importance at the very least, so that you can inform anyone who is signed on to this that of like what this actually is, because you know, if you're a transperson who signed up to be a backward extra and you find yourself on a Daily Wire set, that is a very dangerous place to be. So that is extremely important. Ted Cruz, who was an aspiring actor according to According to jervy Borg in his youth, was asked to do a cameo.
Speaker 2: Oh God, oh that scans so much Jesus Christ. Every one of these fucking guys.
Speaker 6: All of them were all aspiring movie like American in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: But they can't because they don't have any talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aspiring is generous. Failed would be a failed failed.
Speaker 4: We need like a public works jobs program for these people or something to stop them from doing this stuff, like have them I don't know.
Speaker 2: We need to integrate. We need to integrate Hollywood casting agents with a system of suicide booths, and we need to put a sign outside those suicide booths that says Marvel Movie Backlot Casting or something like that. And when these people fail out, we just send them into the booth and tell them they got a great role. They're going to be the new Spider Man or whatever.
Speaker 1: Describing Canadian Hollywood, you.
Speaker 3: Are describing Canadian Hollywood. After after Ted Cruz has shot his cameo, he beat Jeremy Boring in a one on one basketball game. So that's a fun fact for you, Sophie.
Speaker 1: It would be a comedy.
Speaker 3: Fact for me because you love basketball, Yeah, but nobody needs That's.
Speaker 2: That's a real case of the stoppable force meeting the movable object.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Did they have the like low hoops? Do you think you know? The ones for children who can't jump up to dunk on an adult size hoop yet? Is?
Speaker 3: There's a really good line from Jeremy in an interview that went discussing the production of this film. After shooting a wrestling scene with a professional stunt woman, Jeremy said that he was driving in his car on his way home and he thought to himself, quote, we're genuinely being terrible to women in the making of this movie, unquote, which is the most true thing he's ever said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bro, but he tried to he tried.
Speaker 3: To justify it by saying, this is actually happening in the actual world, referring to men injuring children and little girls in sports games. Which isn't true. That that just isn't true. Grown men are not entering little league and assaulting little girls. That's just not happening.
Speaker 5: Jeremy of the Ted Cruz basketball game, because Ted Cruz pass I have the ugliest jump shot that has ever existed.
Speaker 3: I don't think he can jump, Yeah, exactly, he has. He has a one foot vertical at least I think, but he.
Speaker 5: Definitely shoots like two hands like Jolty.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's weird how much Jeremy in interviews has to like reassure himself that, like this quote, this movie is absurd, but it's only as absurd as the real world unquote, despite already admitting that the entire conceit of this movie, that that men can fake being trans to just win all of women's sports, is just divorced from reality.
Speaker 1: It's not true.
Speaker 3: Like you this, this doesn't happen. And now I will do one one final quote from Jeremy that made me really upset before we take a take another ad break, where he's talking about the thematic similarities in this film. Quote Tonally, the film is a lot like Dodgeball, but thematically it's much less like Dodgeball. It's much more like the Death of Stolid unquote, which is so absolutely good movie, the Death of Stall and slaps the fact that Jermy Boring is comparing his dog shit basketball movie to the Death of Stalin's darring Steve Buscemi insulting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't get to. You don't get. You don't get to compare yourself to Armando Yanucci. If you've never written a thing which you didn't This was not This is not writing.
Speaker 1: Holy upsetting.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the closest thing I can compare it to is the Disney Channel original movie Double Team to where the twins were not actually twins and the plot was bad.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and don't google that Double Teamed.
Speaker 3: Let's have a capitalistic palette cleanser with these lovely products and services that support my daily wire Plus addiction.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Sophie's showing me the picture from the Disney Channel movie. It does not look good. No, I will say it does look slightly better than lay, which isn't insane carrying the bar which is lying on the ground.
Speaker 1: Lifetime's better.
Speaker 3: Let's get into some of the jokes and the and the ideological underpinnings of this film. And I also just have a few others random fun facts I have here saved the the the the font choice for the opening credits of this movie, which is not very good if you if you look at the font for the Daily Wired Plus presents a Jeremies movie which is another title card is just a Jereimese movie, which isn't how you do title.
Speaker 1: Cards for films. But whatever sentence.
Speaker 3: No, we have just one minute into the film there is your mom incest joke between two brothers.
Speaker 1: Every time you say something, it just fucking comes out of out of no way.
Speaker 3: There's actually a lot of incest oaks in this movie. Why immediately we have like overexposed cinematography, the white circlip thing. It doesn't look good. We have this joke in the first few minutes with this gay coated uh TWL boy who's sniffing the sweaty towels from the other teammates during the during the opening credits montage, they put this horrible film grain filter on this basketball footage. I have I have a I have an example here. Just it doesn't look good. It doesn't look good. That guy breakdancing, No, that's that's that's him doing a foul I think.
Speaker 2: It's him doing a fucking Tim Robinson face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does kind of have a Tim Robinson ad face.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And we also during the opening credits, we have the great line introducing Jeremy Boring.
Speaker 1: Very fun.
Speaker 3: We have a we have a kids and their damn phones joke.
Speaker 2: With with sure, oh, I'm certain.
Speaker 3: With phone notifications being used as a punchline during a failed like impassioned speech. We have what was what was first a funny joke, We have a stealing catalytic converter joke, which is immediately ruined.
Speaker 5: Ah ah, come on, it's offensive to Robert.
Speaker 1: I will not stand for this.
Speaker 2: My culture is not a costume.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The catalytic Converter jokes immediately ruined by turning racist by having the one black kid in the class drop his cordless reciprocating saw. The movie then acknowledges the racism by having the coach receive a phone call from his boss telling him that it's racist to tell teenage boys not to steal, which the coach justifies by saying the Bible says not to steal. In response, his boss fires him because you can't teach the Bible in school.
Speaker 1: So that God, I wish it were. That is how.
Speaker 3: That is how coach Jeremy loses his job. When picking up his daughter from school, the teacher standing outside is inaudible because she's he was wearing like six COVID masks. One of which says, quote, we say gay, and then the teacher goes into a coughing fit because Jeremy does not have a catalytic converter, and Jeremy just tells her to smile and wear makeup. Jeremy asks his daughter what they learned at school today, and she says that they had a moment of silence for the workers exploited by the capitalistic system when learning about the Cold War. His eight year old daughter also informs him in class that a girl showed her her penis in the bathroom. Jeremy's upset at this, but his daughter accuses him of being transphobic and says, okay, boomer, very very funny stuff. Jeremy suggests that he might move his daughter to a private school, to which his daughter replies, quote private schools reinforce white patriarchal privilege.
Speaker 4: Unquote based base child, base child rile children hate you, yo, divorces.
Speaker 1: Just such a powerful day wild.
Speaker 3: Lot of the movies jokes are just Jereby Boring's fake daughter saying like accurate, like academic level things, and that's just the joke, is that she's like right, Jereby has been coucked by a liberal hippie played by Matt Walsh, as we've said, who refers to the coach as my lover's former lover, which is which they play as an ongoing joke, and liberal Matt Walsh talks about how he likes eating bugs and vaccines to stay healthy. This is this is coded as a joke that vaccines keep you healthy.
Speaker 1: Whal she's not a great actor.
Speaker 5: Eating bugs and vaccine to keep healthy? Yeah, I did get that right, all right? Yeah, Now, while she's not a good actor, he is. He is a black hole of charisma. He can he can really only do deadpan delivery. So watching him try to play like a sincere hippie leftist is just like uncanny. But Jeremy plays the most divorced man ever, which she pulls off fine.
Speaker 1: So is she acting in that role? I gotta give him credit?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: What you know?
Speaker 3: They say in front of Matt Walsh's house, we have these like fake we have these fake yard signs which I'm just gonna read quote in this house, we believe crickets are delicious. Silence is violence. Speech is also violence. No one is illegal, but Europeans coming to America was bad. Guns don't kill people. White people kill people. Also, trans rights are human rights feelings. Don't care about your facts. Pride Month is every month. Social credit scores matter in inclusive inclusion. The earth is literally going to burst into flame any day.
Speaker 1: I like that he just kept rights or human rights in there. Can't think of riff on it. It's just like human rights.
Speaker 5: No one is illegal, but Europeans coming to America is bad.
Speaker 1: So true, so true. Yes, this isn't more base yard side than the ones that like live people actually have. Yeah, you could have just outside of my house. Yeah, it wasn't very funny.
Speaker 2: They are if the fact that like twelve people in this country eat cricket protein like it's it's such a they're a baby thing to be scared of, like you all eat lobster.
Speaker 6: Go on.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, you know, yard sides could be improved, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They couldn't even get like a cab on that, Like it seems like there's some really easy things.
Speaker 3: They don't really have anything related to police in this movie at all.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what I'm getting mad about.
Speaker 3: Jays at the Coach's new job at the drag themed restaurant Jeremy Boring has to like put on drag and then reflects on sexual harassment by saying, quote, I didn't know men could be so handsy. He then sexually assaults a female barkeep immediately after finishing that sentence, which I guess is like played as a joke, but he like he likes he like slaps of a female barkeep on the butt after reflecting on sexual harassment. When reflecting on his life since two thousand and eight, the coach says, quote, I've stayed the same and the world has changed. One day, it's all about winning. The next day, they want you to lead from behind. Don't be so mean to kids, don't push them so hard, don't make fun of losers. How are you supposed to win that way? Unquote? It's just an interesting look at Jeremy Boring saying like he is trapped in two thousand and eight and the world has moved on, but he is still there, which I think is totally true. Him, Ben Shapiro, all of them are trapped in two thousand and eight and the world has moved on, and they are unwilling to learn and grow and change. His people and this is just just a really interesting admission of that fact.
Speaker 4: I think it's an interesting thing here too, with like the way that this, this, this kind of like this this has to do with also the like the why they're so obsessed with college campuses, but the way that they're like they're stuck in high school sports. Oh yeah, it was just like this powerfully American thing, like no one else in the fucking world cares about high school sports.
Speaker 2: Like no one, I mean, real people don't care about any sports.
Speaker 3: Wrong, the core of my existence, it is it is like a reactionary nostalgia like like it is it is. It is a very like like a hontological reactionary conservative drive.
Speaker 5: I also want to point out that that laugh that Robert just did, the little evil laugh he just said, is what they were trying to go for at the end of that movie.
Speaker 2: And I know, I know, look, look what they have to do to mimic a fraction of my power.
Speaker 3: Spending millions of dollars the whole dog Shit Cast Dogship Basketball movie.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So, like many of the Daily Wire Zone staff, the the the cacharacter of the former high school basketball player was also an aspiring actor, but wasn't able to succeed because quote, it turns out white males of non exotic sexualities is the only ethnic group not being cast by Hollywood these days.
Speaker 1: Unquote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I haven't seen a white guy in a movie in forever. Nope, just go to La No white dudes.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 6: Like one of the wokest movies of last year, the D and D movie still had a white guy as the main character, Like it's they're all over the place.
Speaker 5: Not to mention a white guy sports movie, very uncommon, like, yeah, come on.
Speaker 3: I just love the turn of phrase non exotic sexualities and then referring to that as an ethnic group.
Speaker 1: Yes, that.
Speaker 2: Makes the sexuality exotic.
Speaker 3: We then have a joke quote I heard Disney was going to make the new Snow White a neurodiversion black lesbian unquote, which is just Jeremy being mad about the new Snow White movie because he's trying to make his own snow.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, that is it about cocaine. Uh oh probably mm hmm. I can see that. Divorced dad on cocaine'll be it'll be great.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hate my kids and I love cocaine. That's the entire script.
Speaker 3: When referencing white men, Jeremy says, quote, it wasn't that long ago when we were champions, winners.
Speaker 1: Unquote.
Speaker 2: I mean you never were, Jeremy.
Speaker 1: Just learn how to cry on the inside like a winner like the rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeremy, Yeah, there's plenty of white men who are champions at various things, just not you, because you're a fundamentally disappointing person.
Speaker 3: When the coach is fighting with a woman at the track and field sign up table, the woman threatens him with a taser and says I will tase a white man. When the former basketball player runs up to check on the coach after he's tased, the woman says, holy crap, I taste an ally, after which, after getting his player listed in the woman's division, Jeremy says quote, I was happy we could get this worked out without without having to get social media involved, to which the woman at this signup table, to which the woman at the signe up table says, quote, please, I have a family and a queer dog. It's very funny, very funny stuff.
Speaker 1: Fuck all right, well really upsetting me? Please?
Speaker 3: We then continue this is we have, we have, we have, Jeremy saying lines like do you know how much faster a man past his prime is than a female athlete and not.
Speaker 1: Not faster, not like I'm sorry, I have been sorry.
Speaker 3: We also have high school boys could run faster than world record of female sprinters on no, they can't stop. Like.
Speaker 1: Also for just say you hate women, just say you hate women.
Speaker 3: This is yeah, Sophie, you were actually you were actually stumbling across the actual ideological core of this movie, which is just hating women.
Speaker 2: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Hating women, hating trans women, just being hateful. Yeah, yeah at sport and wishing you didn't suck at everything you try and do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they put they put a horrible digital video filter overall.
Speaker 2: By the way, the fastest female marathon runner tickets, Essepha from Ethiopia, did it in two hours and eleven minutes, in fifty three seconds.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 6: Give you to throw some random high schoolers at that record and see if they can beat it. I do.
Speaker 5: I do hope that somewhere on the internet there is data of Ted Cruz is athletic.
Speaker 1: Uh, go ahead, I.
Speaker 2: Want to see Matt Walsh try to do a two hour and eleven minute marathon because his heart will explode.
Speaker 5: But also I want to know Ted Cruz's times from high school.
Speaker 1: That's got to be s yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What kind of fucking track runner were you?
Speaker 1: Yeah yep, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And they're they're right that, like the fastest males are faster, but the fastest male marathon is faster by like eight minutes, nine minutes.
Speaker 3: Well, like testosterone is a massive performance enhancing druck.
Speaker 6: Yes, but it's not like the way they're saying. We're like, well, any man could beat the best women. No, very few people can do a two hour and eleven minute marathon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, even when I spent most of my twenties being paid to exercise, I trained all the time with ladies who were also like paid to exercise right when we were. When I was racing bikes, I trained with women who are pro racers all the time. Women who are very good at sports are just very fucking good at sports. Like, even men who are professional athletes are gonna be on their level.
Speaker 2: Most professional athletes can't do a two hour and eleven minute marathon. Only like people who are really fucking good at marathon.
Speaker 5: Make sure you could lap this guy that is high school Ted Cruz, Yeah, magnificent.
Speaker 1: So we have.
Speaker 3: We have this reoccurring Joe with these two newscasters played by two of the daily wirehouses. Throughout all of the news footage, there's a horrible like fake like digital video filter just overlaid on the footage. It looks really ugly, and the newscasters keep saying brave and beautiful trans women, as if they're being forced at gunpoint to acknowledge that trans women exist. There is a few bud light jokes in there. We have a joke about Jeremy stealing most of the winnings from the track and field contest. When the journalists character is called out for transphobia by the coach when she accuses the athlete of faking being a woman, she responds by saying, quote, save it. I'm a journalist. I literally cannot be shamed, and then and then says that you can only be a woman if you get menstrual cramps, which is really funny because this is actually one thing that happens. If you go on HRT for long enough, you actually do start getting menstrual cramps. So the actual line she has about only real women have menstrual cramps is one of the things that HRT actually does does give you, which is just kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I love the idea as well, Like before you enter the women's basketball game, you have to provide evidence of your menstrual cramps. In order to be able to compete, you have to provide empirical proof of cramp. Cramp inspector has arrived.
Speaker 3: The journalist also says quat men are stronger, faster, meaner. Soon all of the best women will be men, cheating low life men.
Speaker 1: But after after the.
Speaker 3: First meeting between the journalists and the coach where they agree to work together, the journalist invites the coach home and Jeremy gets them doombed. This is this is This is a reoccurring bit in the movie that Jeremy gets femdammed by this journalist. I'll believe that I have I have a screenshot here Jeremy tied up in bed.
Speaker 1: This yeah Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When trying to get their old team back together, they learned that the one black guy from their old team was found dead with a hole in his head due to a laser from space. I think this is a Jewish space laser joke. It's not explained why. Yeah, wow, what is.
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can't say it's a joke there, Yeah, I have this information you do here? I can't. I can't. Do you think I feel like they had to take the anti Savaitines and Bucks need that a black man died?
Speaker 2: Is that literally the whole joke?
Speaker 3: And he was probably he probably got killed from a from from a laser in space, And why that is all the joke is?
Speaker 6: That's okay?
Speaker 5: Also, just looking at this screencap on this photo, why is it decorated with like urban outfitters like lighting because she's a journalist.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Seffie, you don't have an outfit's room in your house. You didn't get one from the from the journalists in Union, No I was. I was not provided a Neon love light. Oh yeah, I got one of them. He's on. On my return from Syria, I get another one.
Speaker 3: The movie is full of stock footage and a lot of royalty free music, and there was there was literally a Jeremy's Razors commercial shoved in the middle of the movie, alongside a whole which of the other Daily Wire product placement. If you didn't know, Jeremy Boarding started his own razor company after Harry's Razors dropped their ads on the on the Daily Wire, so he started his own razor company. He also started his own chocolate company, both of which have product placement in the film. But Jeremy's Razors has a whole like ad just edited into the middle of this movie. I think this is like a Wayne's World reference, but it's hard to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that. I think you're right there.
Speaker 3: There is a rape whistle joke, just a joke saying that rape whistles exist, and that's the joke. And then when the coach's daughter explains gender theory to the lady ballers, we get a fantastic series of shots depicting a gender conspiracy board red string connecting terms on a whiteboard such as demi boy, demi girl, paraboy, which I I actually like, paraboy.
Speaker 1: That one's pood when you're a boy with a parachute, L TB T Q I A plus A, B, C, D E, F G, etcetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: We have the word panda as a term. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: F ten heard of that one, f T M mt f.
Speaker 3: A fab amab other non binary pan sexual saxo sexual, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: They have one who just fox Anglo saxons.
Speaker 1: Because of saxophone, maybe a saxophone.
Speaker 4: I finally found a type of homophobia that I approve of. They have saxo sexuals. Stop at the center of the gender conspiracy board. They just have frogs, which is I guess in Alex Jones joke. But here is the picture of the gender conspiracy board.
Speaker 3: Lots of the lots of the red string on this board just connected nothing, It's just red string.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a bad conspiracy board. I've made a lot in my life and that one's not very good.
Speaker 1: Sod.
Speaker 6: Also, it's really lame to do it to make like a whiteboard, your your board, like get cut out pictures and bits of like text and stuff from from printouts and nail it to the wall, you know, like actually go the.
Speaker 1: Extra mile, basic ass whiteboard.
Speaker 6: That looks like something someone makes for a movie, not something a crazy person makes in the throes of paranoia.
Speaker 3: Like come on, so I'm just going to speed run the rest of these.
Speaker 1: Come on, hit me.
Speaker 4: We are we're getting we are getting a little log.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: When one player asks what is a woman, another response by saying just shave your legs, tell each other how brave you are for things that require absolutely no physical courage, and don't be afraid to cry at work.
Speaker 1: Unquote, yeah, all things I do as man actually about you are as I've established, crying the into like a winner.
Speaker 3: There is a part of a part of their ongoing newscaster segment they get increasingly more racist costumes after being forced to go on two weeks of sensitivity training. Michael Knowles's character learns that they are quote a raging scoliosexual and also one and two thousand and forty eight percent Dakota. So he says, I know what it's like to overcome diversity, and then the other newscaster says that her old name is her slave name. She is a white woman. These costumes only get more racist the more filmed on Jesus goes on. As the lady ballers enter onto the court for the first time, all of the seats are empty because quote it's ladies basketball boys. Nobody watches during their first game.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, right, I just say, all these people who are suddenly so fucking concerned about women's sports manifestly do not give a fuck about women's sports. Right, correct. You weren't there when the prize money was shit. When people are being secretly assaulted by their coaches, you don't give a fuck. It's just a vehicle for transphobia and just a behaicle teansphobia and how much they hate women.
Speaker 3: During their first game, the lady ballers keep whispering in the ears of the players from the other team that they're lesbians, some of whom are revolted, some of whom are turned on by this. Referee Ben Shapiro, in a cameo role, Oh good, says keep it clean, keep it tucked to the players as they start their first game. The game is full of constant fouls as the male players just flagrantly assault the other team. The stands start to fill up the longer the game goes on, and someone in the audience says, this is great. It's just like watching men's basketball. This is just a reoccurring bit. Is that, like all of the footage of basketball with like men versus women, it's just the men like assaulting women during playing and just like doing like fowls. They're not actually playing basketball, they're just like punching women and stealing the ball and like that's that's how they play. One of the ladyballers feel a little guilty after winning their first game after seeing a woman on the other team cry, and then in the locker room he says to the boys, quote, aren't we just using our innate strength and speed to wail on a bunch of girls in a competition where we wouldn't stand a chance against other men? But then he gets a notification that he got a brand sponsorship and then changes his mind. The other lady ballers gets invited to Nike commercials and to speak at the White House on women's rights. The journalist calls this the virtue economy. After their first win, the journalist is about to fuck Jeremy Boring in the locker room, but stops and says, the last thing I need is another abortion this year, and says, do you know what it's like to be a female field reporter in the twenty ninth biggest media market? Which I don't understand how that relates to the abortion. It's not very funny. Here's a screenshot from the wrestling bit where you see, yeah, totally a totally real weight class distinction between a guy who's like over two hundred pounds and a woman who's like one hundred and forty pounds. Totally how sports works.
Speaker 1: Oh sor the guy doesn't look very familiar with the ways and means of wrestling.
Speaker 3: No, the two brothers enter a woman's shower together and say one small step for dudes, one giant leap for lesbians. The joke is that men are gonna sexually assault women, I guess, which again is only more revealing about how these guys think about women. During the victory montage, almost all of the basketball gameplay is just the men assaulting women. We have lots of fowls and slow motions, shots of like men's dicks and crotches colliding with the female players faces. That's that's most. That's most of the footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, most of the footage that I'm sure boring watched over and over again. In slow mom.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of dead naming jokes. We have one transage joke about how the towel boy can now relive childhood as a girl and compete in girls Little League baseball, in which he gives the eight year old picture a concussion. There's a joke about how girls have sex with each other at sleepovers, which leads to an incest orgy. That's that's just a reoccurring side plot, is this incest orgy joke?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Jeremy.
Speaker 3: Boring says to his ex wife when his ex wife is complaining to him about all of his deception, he says, my former lover the turf. And that's that's played as a joke. Here's more of these increasingly racist costumes.
Speaker 1: My god from vocals and for sake and fucking stop, oh my god, pretty man.
Speaker 8: Fuck So yeah, wow, Garrison look so embarrassed for these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't look like they're having fun.
Speaker 1: They just.
Speaker 3: Uh anyway, I have I have a few more of the incest jokes written down, but I don't think I need to read them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The journalist character constant.
Speaker 3: All of the journalists throughout the film, including these two newscasters and the main journalist character, constantly make fun of and insult people who have kids. This is like the Daily Wire making some point about how like journalists hate families. I think it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of un because they pay us like shiit so like we're all too poor to have children.
Speaker 3: So that's that's all the jokes. Now I'm gonna get to like my actual end thesis on des No, but I think I.
Speaker 5: Think you do have a good theory there that like this is this might be set up to start like a Matt wash some kind of like cinema.
Speaker 3: Because we have the final shot of Matt Walsh actually orchestrating the whole thing. Anyway, So the actual ideology of this film is that men are better at almost anything that requires skill, but women are maybe better at like emotions, and they can make babies, and that's the one benefit to being a woman. This belief was paraphrased in the movie itself by the journalists character saying, quote, boys and girls are different, but at least girls can have babies. In probably what's the most like extremely telling scene in which many of the Daily Wire staff have referred to as the heart of the movie, where the coach tells his daughter, it's true that boys are better at all sports as well as driving, parking, stem fields, rock and roll, and opening pickle jars. Girls have one special gift that boys can ever have, making babies. So to this type of conservative women are just emotional baby making factories who also serve to quote unquote civilized men it's the only reason we have civilization, no women, no world. This is how they view women. They view women as a civilizing force thrust upon men and as a factory for reproduction. That is the only utility that the Daily Wire sees for being a woman. Now, this scene with Jeremy Boring and his fake daughter is immediately followed up by another very preachy scene in a way that really breaks from the movie's pacing. The coach is talking to the journalists character about his divorce and how he's worried that's really starting to affect his daughter. The journalist then goes on a very out of character rant about how, of course the divorce is affecting his daughter. Quote, seventy percent of people in prison come from broken families. Your daughter is now twice as likely to do drugs twice, is likely to drop out of school four times, is likely to have trouble fitting in three times, is likely to end up in therapy twice, is likely to commit suicide fifty percent more likely to have health problems. Do people even freaking do a Google search before deciding to blow up the planet your kids live on? Unquote? So this is the Daily Wire taking a break from the movie to express their belief that divorce is the root cause of sidal decay. This is the other, I think core part of the movie's ideology, how the fact that women are divorcing men is causing most of this of the societal problems that we're seeing in America. And then the which is probably the most frustrating scene where we have the we have the first kind of ladyballer. Player comes out to the coach as maybe feeling like they're actually trans The coach then instructs them to ignore anyone in their life who might be loving and accepting, like their family, and instead just listen to Jeremy Boring, saying, quote, you're confused. I get that. We're all confused sometimes. If you need help, buddy, I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I'm gonna help you get it. But you need to believe me when I tell you this. You're not a woman. You're just a lost man in a lost world with shitty parents and a shitty coach who've all gone along with this lie. Instead of hurting your feelings and telling you the truth, The player then asks them how can the coach be so sure that they're not a woman, to which Jeremy Boring then punches the player in the genitals and walks away. He has no a for that, right. Jerrby Boring has no answer to someone who actually says no, I'm trans The only answer to him is to assault them. This is this points at the Daily Wire is the actual ideological core. They want you to ignore everyone in your life who loves you and accepts you and instead just listen to them. To briefly paraphrase a review from Rollo Tony, this organization is built around the phrase facts don't care about your feelings. But they're telling the audience the exact opposite, to actually just ignore everyone in your life who actually loves you, ignore the facts of your actual sense of being, and instead listen to The Daily Wire and pay a one hundred dollars subscription service to the Daily Wire. Plus that's the actual point of the movie, and I this film doesn't even qualify as like a parody movie because a parody comes from a place of appreciation that rehiffies the actual original source material. This movie is too self invested in the Daily Wire's own micro cosmatic world to actually even succeed in any in any sense of parody, and the moral of the film is that a healthy man would never want to be a woman because women are so much genetically worse than men. But because women are worse, we should let them have their own fun, We should let them have their own sports, because they have no chance of ever competing with men in anything. This movie can't fathom why someone who was born a man would want to transition into a woman for any other reason than fame and success, because women are so much just like inferior. At the heart of this film lies a deep hatred of women and a misogynistic core to its transphobia. Misogyny operates as the film's own justification for its transphobia, as the film spends most as The film spends most of its time making fun of women and women's sports, as it does the idea of trans people. There are no actual trans characters in the movie. The film doesn't even deal with trans issues. Besides, just like drag and the word non binary being a joke, there isn't actual any jokes. It's all about how women suck. That's the actual point of the movie, and for all of that, the actual attempts at humor just don't work because most of the humor is just saying classically offensive things and acting like that itself is a punchline, which doesn't work as comedy because the people saying those lines also genuinely believe the offensive things they're saying. It only works as a joke if the conservative audience can imagine a liberal audience getting triggered while watching, which isn't actually humor. And the only other type of humor we have in the film is anti intellectualism characters like Jeremy Boring's daughter saying random like gender theory terms, and that being plays a joke with no punchline, none of it actually works. I mostly feel bad for all of the child actors who got duped into this and all of the extras. That's the actual end result of this film is that The Daily Wire trick to a whole bunch of people in Nashville, including like very innocent kids, into participating in this just very low quality piece of propaganda that just deeply hates women. And that is my actual thesis on how this movie operates, and the core of the Daily Wire's own transphobia being this misogynistic center and worldview that men are superior to women.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will say I think they've done a good job in they've they've created a companion piece to Whipping Girl, where if you need to explain to someone what trans misogyny is, you just show them this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, Well, yep, I think we've said enough about it.
Speaker 3: Was that was a fun hour and fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to talk about that again.
Speaker 5: Thanks for ruining my day, Garson.
Speaker 6: All right, everybody, enjoy the Daily Wire. I guess buckety ball.
Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, welcome, TA could happen here? Focusting. I'm enthusiastically introducing for the third time because I've just sounded so half fast the first two times that I've made myself do it again. I'm joined by my friend and your friend, Sharene Lannie Unis Hi, Serene Hi.
Speaker 10: That was lovely to witness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wasn't it great that I really put on my podcasting boots and you know, went back to the podcasting pace to do another day in the podcast minds and it's beautiful.
Speaker 10: Beautiful, Thank you for having me. Happy to be here. Yeah, that's that's all I have to say.
Speaker 1: As you can tell too, content creators who are excited to create content. I'm glad we're not on Twitch. We would we would be uh, we'd be in the poorhouse. Oh yeah, it's like eight hour streams can't do it all right, So we're not here to talk about how how have we been in the podcast minds for too long? Today we are here to talk about clothing in the cold. Why are we talking about this? Because right now it's it's record cold all across the US. It's very, very cold. Because I meant to spending a lot of time outside, both helping drop water for migrants crossing the border, helping out in cucumber, and a lot of days just like doing my recreation stuff in the mountains. So I'd like to do And I think that, like I guess education, I guess a lot of people have been aggressively marketed at about what to wear when they're outdoors, be that people who are working or people who are recreating. And I think it's good to have a little bit of clarity around it, especially as we're entering like this might be the worst winter of our lives, it might also be the best winter of the rest of our lives. Right. Climate change is making more and more people exposed to more and more extreme weather all over the world. So I want to talk a little bit about the stuff I've learned in thirty something years of playing outside about how to stay warm in the cold. So that's what I'm going to do. I've got this broken down, Like I think, the really important thing to think about when you are picking your outfit it is obviously or your colors match. It's very important, But more than that, it's like thinking about thinking about outfit as a system rather than as a series of individual things. And they think this is where like the way outdoor companies market is really bad. They'll be like, oh, yeah, this jacket is bad ass, and it's warm, and it's waterproof and it's wind proof and it's also breathable, and like that's you probably would be much better off with three cheaper jackets in one very very expensive jacket. Interesting specifically, I guess I've seen a lot of people come a cropper when their very single jacket gets wet, right, and then you're either got one layer or you commit to wearing a wet jacket. So we're going to talk about the different parts of your clothing system, what you should look for and why you should pick certain things. I'll try and recommend things that are cheap as well, because I know that money is hard to come by and the world seems to be constantly trying to extract money from us. So this is based on do you know who Mark Twite is? Sreen?
Speaker 10: No, I don't know who Mark Twite is. But I'm looking at the same document you are, and I read his name maybe six times, and every time it was Mark Twain, and I was so confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's Mark legendary mountaineer. Mark Twain is equally good for you know, if you're going on a boat down the Mississippi River or climbing a mountain exactly.
Speaker 10: But no, I don't know who mister twit is.
Speaker 1: Mister twice. It's a famous mountaineer. He's good at climbing mountains.
Speaker 10: Oh that's cool. That's cool to be famous for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Yeah, a boy can dream, like maybe maybe in another life I'll not have to podcast, not just be able to raise fluffy animals and climb climbing a mountain sheep. Yeah, that is the dream, you know. Every year, every time I don't want to sit down and write my book and think about the amount of livestock I could possibly purchase it, but lots of lots of books. Dream Yeah, well one day talking me sheep, Actually let's talk about basse layers because one of the things they could be made out of, showing is wool from sheep.
Speaker 10: Nice, that was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I am a professional podcast guy. So you basically there's the thing unx your skin right, and a lot of people I think this is where like people say, have you heard the phrase cotton kills? No? No, yeah, you've not heard that.
Speaker 10: Okay, I have not heard that. I mean I'm glad you're making an episode about this, cause like most of the things I've learned about keeping warm have just been like things i've heard, you know what I mean. I've never like researched what actually will help me or what will help other people, because I think like even like when you provide when you are going to provide or like cheaper options, that's a good thing to like donate to people too, now you know what will actually help them versus like something else.
Speaker 1: But yeah, totally, like I know, like for a lot of un housed people, for instance, like you'll get donated a lot of crappy cotton t shirts. But those are terrible, right, the little gaps in the cotton, they get wet and they stay wet, and it is much worse to be cold and wet than it is just to be cold. Right, And these the whole system of clothing designed by Mark Twhite, Mark Twain's brother Mark White. The idea is not to keep you dry. The idea is to let you dry off quickly. Right, So you can get wet, you can sweat, but it's much more preferential to be able to dry off quickly. And that's all cotton doesn't do. And so that's why cotton is considered to be like your worst choice here. So if your base layer, you want to go with the two options, I guess well, it's it's like many things. It's a continuum, not a binary. And so you've got wool on one end and you've got synthetic on the other end. Wool is really nice because it doesn't smell right, like if you have like athletic clothing. Synthetic can get really stinky if you wear it for a few days, it only gets stink here. Wool tends to be much better for that. It also doesn't catch fire. And melt to you, which if that's important in your line of work, then then that's wool is naturally fire retardant. Really where it's like, yeah, yeah, does everyone know this? Clearly no, charene, but.
Speaker 10: Sheep are sheep fire proof?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think obviously high enough temperature would still be fatal for them. But yeah yeah, yeah yeah, when we don't respect the.
Speaker 10: Sheep enough, very powerful ability.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. There's not even a sheep pokemon that could like Pokemon.
Speaker 10: As you said that, I was like, what a good defense?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, yeah. Someone send me a picture of a sheep Pokemon that you've designed, and I will describe it on the podcast. It's unfortunately not a visual medium, but I'd still like to see your sheeps, right, so will it's flame retarding. It's very useful in certain lines of work. It's not so important for other people. But I will say that, like even sitting around the campfire, it is actually really shitty if your clothes melt to you. I've had gloves melt on my hands and it was unpleasant. Wow, that was only like a little bit. But again, I can I can assure you that people sitting around campfires do have their clothing catch on fire. This is not like a thing. It's why all your tents have to be treated with a flame retardant treatment. That's that stuff that makes when your tent. You know, if you put a tent away where it's wet and hot, you leave it at the back of your truck, it gets really sticky when you when you get out. That's a frame retardant treatment on your tent. Oh, thenly lot about fire today. So the problem with will though, is that you have to treat it with care, like you don't want to be tuble drying wool, right, and it can kind of get misshapen. There are like hybrids, the thing called new yarn, which I like a lot, which is like a wall synthetic hybrid. I have lots of clus stuff made of that, and then there are full synthetic things like a little base layer. Here. Again this being mainly a podcast only sharene can see this.
Speaker 10: Describing a piece of clothing.
Speaker 1: It looks like cloth, all right, We're going to be fucked for the next hour or so.
Speaker 10: But what am I looking at it? It's like it look kind of like textured or something.
Speaker 1: So it's like this, yes, yes, it's ribbed. Leave we've just moved right past that. It's it's ribbed, and that's to allow like the little bits that touch your skin keep you warm. But then the channels allow for it to breathe right from monastor to move away and walk away from your body.
Speaker 10: So that's that's the synthetic hybrid or.
Speaker 1: This is synthetic. It's spandex and polyester. It's got this like it's very thin, you can see through it, but it's also very warm, by a company called Beyond Clothing. I would caution people again, it's having too thick if you're planning on actually hiking or being active or like, you know, let's say you work in construction, you work in agriculture. Maybe you just have a job you have to go to remote places. You're a doctor who has to treat people at remote places, or you win turbine engineer, or you work on the railway lines or something. You know, if you're going to be active, having too thick of a base layer could be really annoying because if it heats up, that's kind of your last option. And if it's really thick and you've tried to rely on that for most of your warmth. Then you're going to overheat. And then when you overheat, you're going to sweat a lot. Or when you sweat a lot, that sweat is saying going to soak your layer, right, and then when it gets cold, you're going to be wet and cold, and that is bad. So consider if your base layer like a lightweight or a midlight thing, and try and get your warmth from something else. It's whatever suggest. I really like the new yarm ones. Like I said, there's one made by Black Diamond called a Rhythm T shirt, which I really like. I've loaded those. They are often on sale. You can get them really cheap. If you're looking for something really cheap, I would say to just avoid cotton, so you can look for things which are polyester or nylon, and those are going to be a lot better than just your cotton T shirt. They are going to smell, they're going to get pretty stinky, but you can often find them for around the same price. Right, and if it's very cold, you may want basically your legs as well. Good ones for those are hard to get cheap. I like ones that zip all the way off, like like like a you know, like like Chipendale style. Yeah, but you want zips all the way down the side, Oh, zippers, so they're up pull on? No, yeah, because then you have to take your boots off.
Speaker 10: Right, So if you're oh, well you think of everything.
Speaker 1: Drop your trousers, put those on. Because taking your boots off in the snow and then hopping around.
Speaker 10: No, I mean it sounds very impractical. So that's cool they thought of that. That's very smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a nice Uh, it's a nice Yeah. Technology has to give us many things. There's a company called Couu who's chiefly hunting company, but they make a really nice like side zip leg based layer, which I think I would recommend for a lot of people if it's really cold where you are with I guess trousers generally they're a lot less complicated than upper layers, but the things you want in the cold really are again something that's not going to like cause you to sweat a lot, So I wouldn't suggest everyone like going around in waterproof sure others. I really like ones that have vents, like mechanical vents so you can open up so you can cool off these guys, right, Like the pockets are mesh so if you open the pocket, not only can you get your accessories out that you can also like vent off the heat that way and so that way you don't soak them out with sweat. Right, there's a company called Beyond who makes every possible weight and size of trouser. I really like their stuff. I use this stuff a lot. You can get knee pad pockets as well, which are super useful, not only if you're like like you see them in military gear a lot, but if you're working, saying, construction or carpentry or something like that, you have to kneel a lot. It's really nice table on kneepad. So those get a recommendation for that. For a cheap one. The pro to make a parent called the stretch zion, which I think is really nice. Climb in them all the time. They can often be found really cheap. Your next thing is your active insulation. So that's you need to warm yourself when you're active. Right, So there's two types of insulation. The system is active and static. One is for when you're moving and the other is for where you're stationary. And your active insulation is people used to call this a mid layer, but that was back when people wore like wool jumpers, and you kind of had to keep it covered from the world or it will get wet and stretched out and very very heavy. But sometimes this will actually be outer layer, so I don't think mid layers is a great term. That's what they used to call it. People used to use fleeces a lot. Are fine, but again they can get very very heavy if they get wet. Some of them don't breathe very well, and they can sort of very quickly become too hot of your exercising, and they're not very wind proof. They don't block the wind at all. So much better choice is something called a grid fleece, so like the base layer is talking to you about, it has like a little grid pattern that allows for moisture and air to move away from your body, so like you're less likely to overheat. There's a really cool fabric called Polotech Alpha, which you should look for rather than like looking for a specific item. If you look for Polartech alpha or Polotech Alpha direct, then you can scat around for stuff that's some sale and find something that's really nice. It kind of looks a bit fleecy, but it's also a grid pattern. It's really warm and it's very small. I have a few things that are like made of that. I have one from a moot called the Alpha sixty. So there are different weights, right, sixty ninety one twenty sixty is the least. I think ninety it's grams for square meter, But ninety grams for square meter is pretty much a good mid zone for almost everyone. So that's what to look for in those if you're looking for a cheap midless or a cheap way to stay warm while you're moving around. The US military has this thing called a waffle top because inside of it looks like a waffle right, I guess Grid was. You know they like to give things baby names in the US Army. O Luk, Suren's got one? Yeah like that. Yeah, I love a waffle top. I'm always pulled all the time, so I just I'm also a cold person. Yeah, I do love a waffletop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, those waffle ups, you can get them super cheap everywhere online. I would caution people against getting it can be easy to find, like a thing where it's got like a waffle back air and a soft shell front and it's like your windshell, your rain shell. But those are really warm, and they're really big and bulky, and it's quite hard to wear them if you're actually moving with any sort of intention. So that's where you want to keep your things separate, so you can choose choose what, like exactly how warm you are, rather than being forced to be like a certain level of warm. Talking of forcing people to do things, cherene, Wow, it's time for us to force them to listen to some adverts.
Speaker 12: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We're back, so Charene's voice, and we are talking now about the other part of keeping yourself warm, which is static insulation. This is the big warm jacket. Everyone likes your happy jacket, the one that makes the cold go away. Right. The deal here is that like a big puffy jacket is pretty crappy to wear. Again, if you're moving with any intention, right, like, unless it's seriously like arctic cold, then it's hard to hike or climb in a big puffy jacket. So what this guy is for is for when you stop moving. So if you're hiking, that would mean when you stop to regroup, or you stop to have a snack or to put your camp together or whatever. It's good to have like a really big jacket that is warm that you can toss on immediately. Putting clothes on once you are cold is generally not the deal. The deal that is putting them on so you don't get cold, because all you're doing with all these layers, right, is trapping air against your body that is warm. That's what the little the grid parts in the grid fleece do, and that's what all the little feathers in the down jacket do, right. They're just trapping pockets of air that you heat up. So if you wait till you're really cold, it's going to take you a lot longer to get to get warm. The thing to do is once when you're moving you're nice and warm, you stop, you're going to get cold. So if you toss on that jacket then you can stay cold. I say warm down jackets are really complicated. If there are a couple of issues with like cheap down jackets that make them probably best avoided. One is that if you're not using ethically sourced down, that the industry can be pretty abusive. Right that down is comprised of feathers that come from ducks and geese. It's not very nice to ducks and geese to kill them and steal their feathers. And if you're going to do it at all, if that's something that you choose to do, you should at least try and find ethically sourced down. In my opinion. The other thing is that down, natural down, when it gets wet, it clumps up and it doesn't work anymore. It doesn't insulate you, right, no, like nicer downs modern more like modern downs are treated with water repellent coating, so they don't tend to do that as much. But the other thing was down is like like a lot of numbers get thrown at you when you're looking at a down jacket, Like if you if you look at the money internet as all kinds of information, some of that stuff is bullshit. The things that are important are the fill power and the fill weight. The feel power is it tells you how many cubic inches of loft one ounce of that down will fill. So a higher number is better, right, a higher number is more puffy. And then your feel weight tells you how much of that down is used in a jacket. So a higher fill power jacket with a lower let's say, a four hundred four power jacket with sixty grams of feel weight would be as warm as an eight hundred fold power jacket with thirty grams of feel weight. So once you get your phil power and your feel weight, then you get a pretty good idea of how warm a jacket is going to be. So the other alternative to natural down is synthetic down.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Where that stands out is like it can get wet and you can generally like baby it a bit less, but some pack down as well, and it is tend to be heavier and you don't get feel power, but you do get feel weight. So if you're the jacket I use is synthetic because like I like to shovel in my bag and sometimes it's wet or like sometimes it gets a bit wet, right, I just I don't like to have to like try and baby it so much. I also, for ethical reasons, prefer that. There's a company called Prima Loft p r I m A. They make synthetic insulation sort of very good and they say make some from post consume recycled plastics and they have something that to buy degradeable as well, So I really like cool. Yeah, it's cool, right, Like I saw something a while ago and how ducks and geese are treated forel like down and it may be very I was like.
Speaker 10: I didn't really want to ask because I don't really need to know more than I already do because I don't buy that stuff anyway. But do they are there birds that die exclusively for their feathers or at least do they die for meat and their feathers?
Speaker 1: I think they die exclusively. I'm sure they are eaten, but they are raised like the commercial product is the feathers basically because they kill them much younger. Yeah, it's shitty. There are like ethically sourced downs, which I think if you know, if you're a consumer of animal products, For the most part, I avoid than most of my wall stuff I got before I vegan. But I think if you're picking between wall and down, I think the down industry is it's hard to be mean to sheep in a way that people are mean to a poultry, because sheep just on't having it. They'll die.
Speaker 10: Also, you're not like shearing wool is different than plucking feathers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah then killing an animal to Yeah, there's a distinct thing going on there. So yeah, I prefer not to have I have a few down jackets that you know, but I keep them baby and look after, but for the most part I use the Generally, these are called ballet parkers, the sort of static insulation layer because when you're balaying, when you're climbing, right, you don't put them off for climbing, but then when when you're on ballet, you're stationary, so you put them on. And it's nice to have a hood on these two, right, because you don't want to be like, oh, I've got to get my beanie out, get my jacket on. You want to just be able to put your one big warm jacket on and then you're warm.
Speaker 10: So is it true that you can lose like heat from your head and you're or like I've always heard that like if you wear a beanie you can stay warm better. Is that not true?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can lose heat from your head and so it's a part of your body.
Speaker 10: I mean, okay, I know technically that makes sense. Yeah, but yeah, it's like you lose mom thing to say to their kids where it's just like cover your head, don't go out when your hair as.
Speaker 1: We Yeah, you can lose heat from any sort of exposed surface. Area right and insulated part of your body. I think sometimes people overestimate their role played by your head. Like you know, people say you lose ninety percent of your heat from your head. This isn't true, right, This is why we don't climb mounta into like fur hats and speedos. Like you, you do want to cover your head when it's cold, and it can make a big difference, especially like your ears. You know, where the circulation is close to the skin, they can get cold your nose right, you can get frost nip your nose and in your ears. So like you do want to cover those things having like a kafa or snowed is that what it's called.
Speaker 10: I don't know. Okay, but that's enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, a buff is a trade name a buff globle thunder.
Speaker 10: Yeah is a great suggestion. Good job?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have a kafa that I've worn up and down many mountains. It's really nice because if you tuck it into the neck of your jacket kind of blocks or the wind gaps, and then it's already warm because it's it's been inside there. So when you go from jacket to sleeping bag, you just wrap that guy around your shoulders and then it's you're warm. Multi purpose I love. And also if you have a kafia, you can use it to prefilter water, right because you want to get rid of the turbidity. So like if you're if you're filtering from buddy water, you can put your kafa over the lid of your bottom and then rub a b down scoop. Yeah, yeah, many used to make a sling out of it. I won't use it to hold gauze on a leg wound that I had. Well, people lived a wife, yeah, many of my krofias lived a life. Just I'm just here for the ride. So that's your your down jack if you do want like a down animal down duck down jacket, the catalone ones are really good for the money. The Cathline is a French sports It's like French ARII or European ari It's huge in Europe, not so big in America. But there's stuffs excellent value. Also, if you want to get really dorky about down jackets and warm jackets. The ultra light subreddit a place where definitely go sometimes more times than I should, is you can find like someone has made a spread cheet ranking like the fill, power, fill weight, and price of different down jackets. So if you want to get into it, you can get really into it there. You can spend a lot of your life on that subreddit if you want to. So the next layer, and it kind of plays into the the two insulation things. It's your wind layer. So a lot of the way we experience cold as humans is through wind, right, because the way that's why we have the concept of wind chill, right, or the air rushing past you, cause you a lot more than that same temperature without the air rushing past you. And this is often how we experience cold and the outdoors especially right. So having something like active insulation is great, but often, like that alpha fabric for instances you can see through it. It can be very warm, but it doesn't do anything to block the wind. And that's sort of by design, right, because it's allowing vapor to move out, which is what you want. But you do sometimes espectly in windy conditions, need a layer to block the wind. That's your wind layer. It also helps a lot in not trashing your expensive insulation layers, like a very nice down jacket will sometimes have a very low The Denny account is like the thickness of the fabric. So a nice down jacket will still can often have a low Denny account. It's not really designed to be like it's not like recently, I've been out in cucumber building shelters for people, right, so I'm constantly carrying lumber and you know, using tools and cutting stuff. And if you wear your fancy, expensive super light down jacket, you're going to shred it and then you're going to end up with little patches of duct tape all over it. And now you're expensive down jacket. It's not as warm as it used to be. Yeah, sad time for you. So you can avoid this by either just not wearing it for that or covering it with a wind layer, which also helps because even those down jackets often like the wind can get right through them, So a wind layer is a really nice option for a number of those reasons. Also, you can often just worry above your base layer and even down to pretty cold when you're moving trail running like people trail run I'm sure they'll have already know this, but if you're hiking, your trail running, if you're climbing, a wind layer can really like increase the range of temperatures which you can work in without getting too cold. And like a very small mind is like the size of maybe a tennis ball when I pack it down, but it makes you a lot warmer. You don't want one that blocks all of the wind because then you won't be able to it won't be breathable, right, You want something that's a little bit breathable. The one I have, I looked up the one I like. It's called a mouth in hardware core air shell, but core as spelled with a K. How you know it's yeah, you got to you got to get it in, got to get it in there somewhere and then wear it is but like you know, like like wearing clothes and so double puns on their spellings. It's made of the stuff called pertext quantum are, which is really cool. It feels like silky but it's a synthetic fabric and it's really nice, and it's very small. It's very light and like you could put it in and you had, like if you're wearing like cargo trousers, you know, you can put it in the side pocket or cargo short if you're that kind of person. So those if you're looking for a cheaper thing to block the wind, Like you can find pretty cheap wind cheaters right out there. You don't want something that's very plastic y and then kind of clammy you're going to sweat up in. You can get surplus British wind proof smocks that are really nice. I use those all the time when I'm working outside because uploads of pockets. They're nylon cotton blends, so they're not all cotton, and they they're very like robust. You know, they're not going to wear, wear down or like get destroyed if you're carrying lumber or rock climbing, right, if you're interclimbing, like a lot of this stuff, will you need something with a thicker face fabric otherwise you're going to destroy it when you're climbing, especially if you're climbing somewhere like Joshua Tree, where like the rock is like sandpaper and it eats your clothing. The final layer is your waterproof, right, It's a final one, because like you want to avoid wearing your waterproof really, like I think far too many people where like they rely on waterproof coats when it's not raining enough to need one. The problem with waterproofs is if rain can't come in, moisture can't really come out. Even fabrics like gortex per text and that they say that they're breathable, but I think anybody who's tried to exercise hard in a gortex jacket will tell you that they're not. Like, if you're hiking with a group and you'll put on your gorate, then you need to move slower because you're going to overheat, and then you're going to get wet from the inside because you're sweating. Just not what you want. So waterproof is important because when it's really wet and you're outside, you don't want to get soaked, right, But it's also not something you should be wearing most of the time. What you want to look for in a waterproof Again, there are like statistics numbers. One of them is the it's the pressure resistance of the fabric, like it's expressed in the as the height of a water column in millimeters until it can push through the water resistance of the fabric. Does that make sense?
Speaker 10: No, not at all, Thank you.
Speaker 1: For bet honesty. That's good. If you imagine like that, like I have a tube, right, it's a linear tube like a cylinder, and then I put it on my waterproof fabric, right, I put my waterproof fabric at the bottom of the tube, and then I put one milimeters of water. It doesn't do anything. Two mil three meals for adding until until it pushes through the fabric.
Speaker 10: So that's that's called like a pressure.
Speaker 1: What do you go, Yeah, that's a pressure. It's sometimes expressed in pounds per square inch as well.
Speaker 10: Okay, cool.
Speaker 1: It's useful if you're like skiing or snowboarding, like safety of your skiing or snowboarding badly and you're going to spend a lot of time like sat in your ass then, or you know, otherwise working in snow, like kneeling in snow. That's very handy. There's also a statistic which is probably more useful. It's the millimeters of rain in twenty four hours before it like wets out and becomes permeable. So if you live somewhere really wet, like Belgium or the UK, Belgium just sticks out in my head as a place where it rained all the time, but maybe that's just my bitterness. You're looking for like something in the twenty thousand range. That's a jacket that you can pretty much wear all day in the wet and be fine. Gortex Pro Fabric. I know it's twenty eight thousand, so that's kind of your gold standard, but anything over twenty coupan it's fine. And the breatheability is the last one moisture vapor transfer rate, and again anything over twenty thousand is good. The other thing to look for in a waterproof is taped seams and you know the bits where it stitched together. If there isn't tape behind those seams, then water can get in through that stitching. And like I've seen people get very expensive jackets which in explicably don't have tape seams. I think it's like maybe a fashion jacket or something, but I have like wet like down every seam, like they take off their jacket.
Speaker 10: You with a group of like people just that are wearing these kinds of clothing and just like you judging them quietly.
Speaker 1: That's me every day, Serene, every day when you see me, I'm judging people for their outdoor clothing. It just it just happens inside my head. It's my inside voice. I'm happy that people are outside, and I just want them to have a comfortable, enjoyable experience.
Speaker 10: That's a good like thing to focus on if you want to make sure it's like not a fashion jacket versus like utilitary and whatever. You know, like is it going to actually be helpful or are you just gonna look cool?
Speaker 1: Or is it going to do both? Yeah, you can do both, Like you should feel good in what you're wearing, and wear things that make you feel happy about yourself and your body. And however you want to appear is fine. Like I don't give a fuck, just want you to be comfortable and safe.
Speaker 10: But he will judge you.
Speaker 1: That won't judge you. I would judge you if you're doing something that might put you in danger or someone more accually, like you can put yourself in danger in it, and I don't care. Like, if you want a free solo, fucking have it, but don't put other people in danger without their consent. I guess which you're doing if you go outside, because someone has to come get you if you get in trouble out there, and that's not a risk free endeavor. Right, returning from my judgmental character to waterproof jackets, you know, tue, you know what else? I am judging how my voice sounds. I'm remaining a loof from judgment. I would never but but I am judging your products and services and support this show, and I'm judging them poorly because gold is not a good way to spend your money.
Speaker 10: But we still love our jobs.
Speaker 1: We do love our jobs, Yeah, we do. I do enjoy my job. I like my job. I just I want you to have nice jackets and not Rounald Reagan commemorative coins. So here's some adverts. We're back, and yeah, we're going to talk a little bit more about waterprop jackets. I think it's important. The other thing you want to look for, right, So your your tape seems are good. And then I like to have mechanical venting, which.
Speaker 10: Is yeah you mentioned that earlier. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: So this is these vents that I can open where as opposed to venting through the fabric, I want to vent through a zip that I can open up. Right, So, like I'm wearing a puffy jacket right now, that's a mechanical vent, right. Why am I saying that jacket? Charene can see me, No one else can. It's like the sixth sense. I'm a dead person and Scharen is the only person who can see me that.
Speaker 10: Is, can I just get that straight? So just unzipping your jacket counts as mechanical venting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like if you have a nice waterproof jacket, it will have pit zips.
Speaker 10: Okay, got it? Just what a fancy weight just to say unzipping some.
Speaker 1: Well yeah yeah, okay, well because you but you want like this, This is not right If I unzip and it's a pocket inside, that's not mechanical venting because zipped.
Speaker 10: A chest pocket. For those listening, everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome to the podcast. But I do stuff, and Charene tells you what I do. Yes, pockets are not mechanical vents. Right, but you went away. So you've got pit zips. Some of them will have chest zips ways to force that hot air out and allow breathe ability to happen. Right, So I like that in raine jackets. And then I also like a hood right because it's having a wet head isn't fun. So this is this one. I liked taber hood and the billet Parker. I like to havebhood sometimes the wind jacket. I like taberhood. If you're doing climbing and you're doing I never really wear a hood when I'm cycling, but other helmet actively if you're caving or canyoneering, might be a good idea to check the hood situation with the helmet that you wear for that activity. So like for climbing, you know, you lots of people will say they have a helmet compatible hood, but I don't know what helmet those people are wearing because they don't fit over like even a pretty low profile climbing helmet. So if you know, if you can go to your loco outdoor shop, take take a helmet, you know, don't don't be afraid of trying it on with the helmet on. And you want these all really to be cut to allow you to move right. Like a lot of modern outdoor gear. It looks really nice like when you're going about town, but it's cut kind of too tight in the well, it looks very trendy. It can inhibit your movement right, and so you want to be aware of that. You may have to size up. And it's not because you've got bigger, it's because close I've got smaller.
Speaker 10: Also, if you're layering, that would make sense anyway.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, definitely, And you want to have your water proof cut. So it can go over your stuff, right, because if it rains, you just want to chuck that thing on. And likewise, you want to have that big ballet Parker cut so that it can fit over your other layers, right, because again you want to be able to chuck it on as soon as you stop. And your windproof jacket too, so you can use it to protect your more expensive you can even I know people who do the windproof jacket over the gortex just to protect it. Right. I have two gortexes that like. I have one that's very small and very thin, and that I like, as an emergency, give it if I don't expect it to rain or expect for it. But I'm going on a week long trip. I'm not gonna, you know, want to be completely fucked if it rains. So I bring a little one. It's called the Mountain Hardware Minimizer, and kind of the name gives away, but it's just very small. It's made of gortex pac light, which is like the lower tier of acceptable gortex. It's fine, you know, Like I go outside a lot and I use it and it's fine. It doesn't breathe quite as well, but you can again overcome that rete with some with them zips that don't zip, and then if it's going to be red all day, I have a jacket that's a bit heavier, thicker, packs bigger, But the one I have is from a hunting company called four Low lo h. It's really nice. Often for some reason, hunting stuff in recent years has got a lot better, and outdoor stuff kind of has used to Hunting stuff used to be shitty, but it's it's kind of overtaken it for some reason. And sometimes it's also nice to have stuff that isn't bright orange and it isn't like a theory of why that is because people have a metrics shit ton of money and wealthy people have got into backcountry hunting because they want to have a big dead thing. But these are not people who maybe some people, some people are sending it really fucking hard doing hunting and doing like ten twelve day hunts, and they're hardcore outdoors people as well, and they're very wealthy people. They like to be uncomfortable and they will spend a lot of money on expensive jackets. That's my theory. Yeah, thanks for coming to my ted talk. Those are the two things that you really want with any waterproof, you do need to take care of them. I think with gor Tex everyone should be aware of it has what are called forever plastics in it, and they are really not good for the environment. And not only are they not good for the environment when it's made. And this isn't just Gortex, right, Gortex is a brand. They make fabrics, and I'm not just saying it's with all those those kinds of multi layer lament at waterproofs. And it's not just when they're made, it's also when water sluffs off them, right, Like so when it rains on you and then that the rain you know, the rain drop goes into the three and the stream goes into the river, and the river goes into the ocean, that little forever plastics are still there, and that's not good. I would imagine, as with many things, it's more not good than we know right now. So some brands like fol Ravn won't use Gortex and this stuff for that reason. They don't have any forever plastics. Instead they use waxes. I think people are kind of maybe have forgotten or like you don't see as much of it as you used to. But wax jackets are really good. If it's going to rain all day. If you're not so concerned about weight, you can get like a waxed cotton jacket or waxed canvas jacket like car Heart makes up right or fils and have a nice Filson jacket that they were a lot and it's way less fragile, but it is much heavier, but it's also better for the planet. So that's something. If you do have a gortex jacket, like it's not something that I feel good like having five gortext jackets, you know, and like buying new ones every year, like you should try and take care of them. And there's a product called nick Wax which is really good. You should use nick Wax stuff when you're wa washing any of your outdoor if you're washing down, you should use nick Wax down wash or you're really fuck up your expensive down and jacket. So I think that's a good thing. And then yeah, wax, Like consider how often you're really out in an absolute downpour and if that's not very often, like maybe you're okay with a wind layer or like just waxing the shoulders of your like have a cotton jacket behind me that I just wax the shoulders off, but like it's like a smock with lots of pockets and I just put wax. I bought some Greenland wax, which is which is a fear ratheran thing, and wax the shoulders so the shoulders are impermeable to water.
Speaker 10: Does it look different like the Does it look like shiny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks a little bit shiny, but like it's not bad. And if you do it like better than me, then then it won't look as shiny. But can you can I can see that. No, it's not bad, it's not it's kind of fun that maybe other people do other things for fun, but I kind of like it. You get a hair dryer and you grab the wax on and then you melt it in with the haair dryer. That's what I do on Saturday nights. Insight into my life. So the last thing that I wanted to talk about was extremities. Right, I have rainos where like oh really yeah really rainos?
Speaker 10: Adone else that has it? Noah, like yellow right now? I mean not yellow if I press them get yellow, but like it's well, my feet and hands are always cold all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, same, And it's miserable. I hate having cold hands.
Speaker 10: Literally, look at this. Wait, I just bought these recently. These are electric hand warbers. Oh wow, trouble and I keep them now. I just walk around with these all the time.
Speaker 6: It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is nice to have warm hands. And if you too, if you're a fellow hands cold, there there are some things you can do. I think sometimes people wear really thick gloves that stop the hands moving and that doesn't really increase circulation, or they'll have cold wrists and then it's kind of there's like a temperature. You know that blood's getting cold or it's in your hands. So I found like having a base layer or a midle, a active insulation layer with thumb loops really helps. Then thumb loops make sure that the sleeve goes all the way into the glove. And I would encourage you, rather than wearing one big ass pair of gloves, to have like a glove. I know this sounds really dorky, but like a glove system. So like a thin lacy glove and then a shell glove which is either waterproof or wind proof, and then if you want to, you can then stack that with a mitten on top of that right. Yeah, I love emittletons are so cute. Yeah, get your person who sews in your life to say your parentmittans. Have them join with a little strings so you can run that through the sleeves of your jacket. You don't lose them. I used to have those. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 10: I feel like or maybe I just imagined having one.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 10: You can't figure out what our memories and what are memories anymore? But I love those kinds of mittens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I'll make gum that you'm shreen w James.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I can't believe you have How did you say in British boys mittens? No reightouns rain rainers?
Speaker 1: How you say it reno? They're French. I'm guessing. Yeah, yeah, I think mine. Maybe I don't know, Maybe it's just from being naturally cold, but holding onto the handlebars of a bicycle racing over cobbles has really fucked the circulation and sensation in my hands. Yeah, the same thing that happens if you work a jackhammer, wows get cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's good, not good, not good for the human and body to do any think that much outdoor research make a good glove system, but they only make it for the military and they won't sell it to you, which is lame. Yeah, there's a lot of like so one of the reasons that some of this surplus clothing comes up is because it's designed as a system, which is good. Right, it's one piece designed to work with another piece, and like, for instance, Patagonia makes a protective combat uniform for the army. As much as they would like to not talk about it, it's still true and I've written about it before, but they make a really good system and it's great, and stuff's got like they actually have like this little graphic that's like if it's this cold, where this, If it's this cold and wet, where this, If it's this cold and windy, where this. And it's very handy for people, especially people who may not have grown up or had that kind of experience or just had the chance to try different products because they're very expensive. Right, it's very handy to be like, okay, this is and this, and then you only need these five or six pieces that way, as opposed to having dozens of jackets and dozens of different things for different weathers. So like it it works very well, and it frustrates me that they don't do the same thing when selling to people who are not in the military. So the other things I wanted to do with extremity is real quick socks sucks. It goes the same way as gloves that you don't want to a sock system. Yeah, I'm glad that you're picking up when I'm picking down at suren.
Speaker 10: I have a sock system, but it's not you're it's not anything about this tell me about Yeah, well, my feet are always called this is not a sock, but I do wear this in my house.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Charene is showing me. Uh, it looks like it's kind of a moon boot but made of fluff. It looks like a Yeti's foot.
Speaker 10: It's very more. I don't wear shoes in my house, so I either always have those slippers on or socks. But my sock system is these socks can never mingle. I have outside socks, I have house socks, and I have bed socks, and those socks remain in their sections. An outdoor sock cannot come in my bed.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense? It does, And I'm fascinated to learn. When we start recording, I'm going to inquire more about Charine sock collection.
Speaker 10: Yeah, very interesting to me anyway. Yeah, that's eroticism. But I think so the same thing with gloves, you're saying like they should be layered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean with socks, I think the big thing is to like not always be trying to I think people want to wear like a big thick wall sock because it's cold, and then if you're kind of crammed that into your same boot, you're going to restrict circulation. You're not gonna be able to move your feet, right. So what I would do instead is I either have a couple of pair of thin socks or use a warmer fabric, so like Olpaka wool is very warm for its weight. The other nice thing about woll socks is again the insulate when they're wet, right, So your feet are gonna sweat you're moving, and so you want something that's not going to get your feet cold, right, especially if you a person who already gets cold feet. So Marina wool is good, our Packer wool is very good. But yeah, you don't want to restrict with like one big fluffy sock. You can get insulated boots if it's really cold, I right down until below freezing. I don't like insulated boots because again I don't like my feet to get sweaty.
Speaker 10: And well, you wear your feet for that kind of weather.
Speaker 1: They get really cold, just gor text boots and I wear the same boots for almost everything unless it's like jungly if you're going to get wet, like Goratex's boots suck right because they take forever to dry. So like, if you're in the jungle and the water is going to come over your boots, then you shouldn't wear gortex boots if you're not I have some. You like to know exactly what boots I have? Sure?
Speaker 10: I mean we're not sponsored though maybe no?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get some of this ship for free when I was working in the outdoor industry, but no one's paying us to say this. I have Solomon quest for D.
Speaker 10: I think I have Wait, I have those? No, which ones do I have? I did like a bunch of research a couple of years ago when I got my new hiking boots. I feel like I have the Solomons or those were the ones I no, no, no, I do have the Solomons because I returned the other one that everyone likes the witches. What's it called hokahs.
Speaker 1: The whole focus. Oh yeah, No, Hogas make lovely running shoes. I'm not. I don't have a preference for I.
Speaker 10: Think there were. I mean I just didn't understand the hype. So I remember switching over to or returning those and getting the Solomons. Wow, look at us.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Team Solomon over here, they're vegan too.
Speaker 10: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's if you have leather boots, you can snow seal them around this time of the year, but then there'll be a bit less breathe, a bit more waterproof. But yeah, consider not overcramming like thick socks into boots of the same size. If you if you're going to get a specific pair of winter get the assize bigger and then you could wear a thicker sock. I would probably do that before I went to an insulated boot. Until it was really cold, like arctic stuff, you don't need an insulated boot. Vask makes some nice insulated boots that I have used. And then hats is the last one. Hats again, like it depends a little bit on the temperature, but I have a couple of wool beanies that I got years and years and years ago, and they're very good and they're very warm. And the only thing is when they get wet, they kind of stretch out a bit, so they don't love getting wet. You might want to put a hood over yourself. Otherwise, a flea speanie is really good. People are sleeping on the flea speanie, but like a micro flee stretchy beanie, it's very nice. I tend to take them when I travel because I'm a cold person and planes are cold. So if I have that and my little Kafa in my bag, then I can kind of wrap myself up on the plane and I probably look a bit weird to everyone else, but I don't care because I am warm and planes are cold. I think that it's the end of my ted talk on warm clothing.
Speaker 10: We talk for an hour about cold serene.
Speaker 1: I didn't think we'd keep it under an hour. Wait really, yeah, No, I've been draining my whole life for this shit. Like I love. I used to like my whole job used to be to tell people what to wear and take with them when they go outside. Wait really, yeah? Outdoor industry journalists who are years how I started my little when I was little baby journals the expert here, little baby journalist, I wrote, I don't think I'm an expert, but I will say, well, I'll tell you what. There's my other little soap box. You will read a lot of reviews, and sometimes, like the reviews for Boots, did they did Sharen in a good direction? Not everyone who's writing those reviews is going outside very much, is what I will say, or sending it very hard. Some of them are, doubtedly are, but a lot of them are trying to get you to click a link which will return a certain percentage to the website that you're clicking the from, so four or five percent back right, And you may, for instance, some of the brands I've mentioned here don't have that. It's called affiliate marketing. And if brands don't have affiliate marketing, you generally can't put it in articles for a lots of magazines about the outdoors. This is something that I fucking loathe, and you can't be honest and say this is my favorite thing. Everything's designed to be seoed and to get you to click something and to return some affiliate revenue to the website. So it would take a lot of those reviews with a pinch of salt. Also, just small brands struggle to get into a lot of into a lot of magazines because they don't have the marketing money to send piles and piles of free stuff. So yeah, be cautious about what you read. And if you look around, you know, if you're looking at this shit like like, I absolutely have jackets that got several hundred dollars that I got for free or I made some employer pay for because I was going somewhererifically in hospitable. Is a human life like Alaska or Alaska's actually lovely. I'd like to live there. That's the dream. Right one day I'll podcast my way to a million dollars and raise sheep in Alaska.
Speaker 10: I was looking for tickets to Alaska yesterday. Actually, yah, I want.
Speaker 1: To show we're talking about Alaska.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, we talk about lights.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, go get after it. But I don't really support moving to Alaska and colonizing people's land because I shouldn't do that. Don't don't do extra colonizing. I'm already doing enough. Feel bad about it. But so yeah, I would suggest people take those reviews with a pinch of salt. There are websites like gear Trade where you can find new stuff. eBay offer up a lot of people buy outdoor stuff, go camping, wants, get cold, get wet, get sad, slap it on the internet and sell it for pennies versus what it's worth, so you don't have to buy any of this stuff new. Most of these companies also have bomber warranties, and I'm just going to leave that there as to the combination of second hand purchasing a warranties, but you can probably join the dots.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, thanks for having me for this. I learned a lot.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining me, Sheriene and sharing with me your sock system.
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, that was really intimate. No, I think this stuff is like underrated how important it is. I feel like, I mean, like, unless you're always outdoors and you're like you're an outdoorsy person, I think you wouldn't know exactly the best way to keep warm. And it's good to know, like what will actually help someone if you want to, I don't know, donate stuff to them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we have been plagued with donations of really shitty blankets. For instance, it's no one's fault. I genuinely understand that people care and like it. I'm so proud that people want to help, and it makes me so happy to see people taking the money that I know none of us have enough of and buying stuff. But like, for instance, a thick wall blanket is going to do so much more than two or three very thin micro lease blankets. You know, if you, if you're looking towards your local unhoused community, right again, like think about things that are durable and that we'll still insulate when they're wet and well if you, if you do well, then then that's a great choice for a lot of those things. And but perhaps we can have one of my own house friends on to talk about like effective donations. The best way to help people who are unhoused is to give them money and that they can buy the things that they need because they know about the things that point and so yeah, that, yeah, that's my last thing for today. Give people who need things money so they can buy them. All right, bye everyone, Bye.
Speaker 4: Elections. No, we're not talking about those elections. This is it could happen here. We're talking about a bunch of other elections and how fucking terribly they went. I'm hosts me along with these James stout.
Speaker 1: Hi, Mayah, I'm stoked. I do love a good election. It's great to vote for people.
Speaker 4: We are kind of talking about elections today, but the thing that we're actually talking about is what has happened to the left since twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: And anyone who was around eleven.
Speaker 4: Twenty thirteen, and like any time after that, one of the arguments you got constantly was Okay, so twenty eleven, you have occupy, you have to movement to the squares. You have these mass millions of people like assembling in squares and trying to do direct democratic stuff and you know, figuring it out and making it work and not working, and you know all the complicated and messy things that happen when you have real political movement. And that entire time, there was an entire chorus of dipshits whose only line was, well, if you want to get serious about taking power, you have to get into electoral politics. And these people got their wish. And now we are, like almost a decade and a half out. I think I think we are finally in a position to objectively analyze how well this shit went and oh boy, so join us as we wander from disaster to apocal disaster and go over the wreckage of all of these very, very once promising and inspiring social movements to joy.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. I'm so excited to hear yet another attempt at making the world better than in fact failed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, okay, there's actually two places we could start here, So I'm gonna let you pick. Do you want to start with Sars or do you want to start with Podemos.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Podemos.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I do enjoy a good Spain. It's been reading about the another round of exhumations today, so I do love a country that has banked into its constitution amnesty for people who did fucking mass and Expain has more mass graves in anywhere apart from is it rwand or Cambodia. Cambodia. Cambodia is if you only beat Spae from Spain for mass graves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A country which I cannot say enough has not finished as civil war and remains a post dictatorship and will until it recovers. Allows people whose fucking parents and grandparents were murdered in the street to recover their remains and grief for them. Sorry, I thank you for me to my ted. No, no, this is good.
Speaker 4: Well and I mean, and part of the context of this whole thing is that this is one of the underlying things that causes the enormous uprisings in Spain twenty eleven. They have one of the biggest I mean actually literally One of the reasons occupy happens is that there are specific people who are in like actually, we fucked up with to Vicky Asiwell on the show about this, like she was in Catalonia when this stuff started. There's there's like a million like there are individual squares where there are like a million people.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was in Catalonia when this stuff started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like and that's one of the things that that brings Occupied to the US is people who were there for that being in the US and like being in Siconti Park when occupy started, and so you know, they have they have one of the largest and most powerful, like anti sterity movements, like anywhere in the world, is very well organized. But one of the things that happens in this is very quickly there's an attempt to hijack this because people see the number of people who are in the streets. They see they see this as an opportunity to you know, take electoral power, right, this is the whole lines like we're serious about taking power, blah blah blah blah blah. And Podamos in particular, is influenced by like some of the people on earth who I hate the most.
Speaker 1: They're they're they're.
Speaker 4: Influenced by like like they deliberately call themselves post Marxists, like left populist philosophers. They're their model is Perhnism. It is a shit show. It is a catastrophe. Like every single party who's ever tried their strategy of taking power has failed, Like left populism as an elect as specifically, like this kind of left populace at a strategy has a worse record for taking power in Europe. Then left wing military coups like it's that.
Speaker 1: Bad to be fair, left wing mandatary case rarely succeed at the ballot box.
Speaker 4: They means, they're they're they're a more effective way of getting into power than this this fucking left electoralism shit. So for people who don't really remember, Potamos was like the like them and Sergi were like the thing in like like post sort of like post occupier like and in that moment of like, these are the like the big like left like electoral successes. These are the things they're gonna gonna take power, Podamos specifically. So the the thing Podamos calls itself like their whole strategy is to build build what they call the electoral war machine. Their entire strategy is just to win elections.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's the whole thing. They're gonna pull together a bunch of leftist groups, They're going to win elections. Did they ever win a single election? No? Zero, The entire type it has bid says I of Pootabos.
Speaker 1: It has been what like thirteen years.
Speaker 4: They have lost every single election in a row.
Speaker 1: They were in the they were in the Sanchez coalition government with the Faciliyah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well so this is this is the other interesting thing is that put the thing that Potamos is like thing right originally was well they had this whole sort of one of the things that was very popular in their early twenty tens was this whole like oh, we'll have a political party, but it'll like take like it'll it'll take its policy from these direct democratic assemblies. Those assemblies have ever material that was all lie. Yet anytime someone tells you that their political party is going to take its direction from like assemblies in the street, they're lying to you. They're trying to get you out of the street. Don't believe them. So that that was all nonsense. But the other big thing about about Potamos was that they were supposed to be like the big like third force in Spanish politics, right, they were going to be like the new force that was going to come in. They were going to wipe away all the cru politicians and they specifically their big thing was that they refused to enter coalition governments. Now for long fast forward to losing like six straight elections, and now what is Potamos podemos is the permanent minority government coalition partner with the Spanish Socialist Party. And before you get excited about the Spanish Socialist Party, like they suck, like they are shit.
Speaker 1: I will always stand anyone who digs up Franco's rotting corpse and flies it across the country. That's those ritten.
Speaker 4: But they're also like that's mostly like they they're they're they're they're also I mean, they they've they've kind of been forced to go a bit to the left, like by Podemos and like by the sort of transformations that happen. But they're also just like a bunch of dealerble ships. Like they're like, literally, this is one of the parties that Podemos was formed to run out of power, and now they're just you know, they're just a permanent like minority coalition governments. Pablo and Gleasios, who is Potamos's like great political strategist. He was like he was like their guy. He was the guy he wore cool leather jackets and ship like. He was the guy who was like in every.
Speaker 1: Day what you say a politician and left the jacket. You fucking run, yeah, you run a mile peak. Dad's trying to look cool energy.
Speaker 4: He he has retired from politics. It just abject failure because nothing ever fucking worked. One of the one of one of the big things that, you know, one of the big recent things that Pidamos did was help the Socialist Party crush the massive wave of metalworkers strikes that swept Spain in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: One, so great stuff happening there like they're you know, they're not literally fascists, and that's that's their selling point.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: They fucking lose every election and they yeah, ran, ran, ran the social movements into the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a They literally had a thing, didn't they, Like, Yeah, they're their men. Their initial manifesto was like to convert indignation into political change, and like the movement that began the occupation of the squares in Spain was called the indignats or indignaos in Catalando Spanish. Like the whole thing was like two channel this energy into a process which is literally designed to stop shit changing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, guess what, it didn't fucking change. They lost every election. They've never wanted an election. They're never going to wait an election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remain in the street to my Spanish friends and Kathlan friends and Basque friends and Galician friends and other friends in Iberia.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So all right, moving on to so, you know, we talked about how Spain had one of the biggest like movement into the squares type things. Greece I think technically gets the honor of having the first post two thousand and eight uprising, which was actually not an economic thing. It was the cops like murdered a fucking kid and people just lit shit on fire like it was. It was fucking wild.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: There's a quote about like those first protests that I always I was thinking about in like the height of twenty twenty, when I was watching that guy in the elbow mask with a molotov like, which is you know that those first protests it was people. It wasn't It wasn't a people were trying. People wen't try to build a political movement. They just wanted destruction.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, yeah, they were angry and they wanted to ben shit down.
Speaker 4: Abject abject fury at the cops just murdering this child, and partially also they murdered this kid like in in Xarchia, which is like Greece's anarchists like neighborhood. So yeah, terrible idea by the police.
Speaker 1: Terrible thing.
Speaker 4: Greece has repeated massive protests. One of the reasons they're having these protests is that Greece is forced to accept these like crippling austerity measures by the Troika, which is this group that was running the bailouts in Europe, composed of the International Monetary Fund, the European Central Bank and the European Commission, which is basically the executive branch of the European Union with reps from all of the EU countries. And the product of this is that the only faction that ever actually mattered in the Troika was just Germany. Effectively, what was happening with Germany was imposing like a bunch of economic sanctions on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is when like the European Union became like what Germany says we do, especially from guide to this stuff.
Speaker 4: In the context of these massive protests, Greece elects Soresa, which is supposedly this left wing party that is going to you know, the specifically the mandate they were handed was stop the austerity and literally they are in negotiationd with the Troika. They have a plan in hand to tell the Troika to fuck off and for Greece to leave the European Union in to seat up capital controls to start, like, you know, this is a process that would have like the only way this could have function is they start, you know, they start literally like seizing property from like a bunch of fucking yacht owners. And instead of doing that literally at the last second with the plan in hand at the negotiating table, soresa folds. Instead they cut a deal with the Troika, they impose literally the exact same austerity measures they are put in power to stop. And then you know, now, now having done this, they're now facing their own giant anti sterity protests. And the thing that Theresa does is ally with the riot police. You, by the way, the things one of the ways that Resa got people to support them was specifically by running on basically completely rebuilding the Greek police force, because Greece's police force, oh yeah, fuck me, just straight.
Speaker 1: Up a bunch of Nazis.
Speaker 4: And when I say that, I literally they vote. I think it's ninety seven percent of their members voted for the Golden Dawn, which is like the Greek neo Nazi Party. Yeah, and like so many of these people vote for the Golden Down that they can be considered like a significant part of the total of the Golden Don's base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perhaps more importantly of its like street fighting element that yeah, that kills anti fascists, right.
Speaker 4: Those guys, like the Golden Down eventually comes apart because they ordered the assassination of an anti fascist rapper from parliament and then had the guy killed. Yeah, yeah, just fucking batch it. And those are the people who the Greek police are supporting. But Sarge Sarsa needs them because they need the police to smash the anti serity movements to stop people from like knocking off their governments and stopping the austerity. And they do it. It works eventually, after years and years and years and years of just smashing these like smashing these protests with police, they're able to you know, they're they're they're able to stamp out the sort of the giant social movements. And the consequence of this is that they turn over Greece to just like a bunch of murderously far right, anti immigrant shitheads. Who are the people who currently run Greece. They're unbelievable, like just unbelievably right wing. These guys are so right wing they were trying to find ways to claim credit for getting it, like getting those like several hundred people on that migrant ship earlier this year killed. Like, yeah, that's that's who currently runs Greece, and that's who's the reason like turned power over to because they literally did nothing, it destroyed their own base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably worth like stopping to note here that like fearmongering around migrants has been the thing that has moved like straight up fascists into power in much of southern Europe, right like Italy and Greece, and like even if you're not a person who lives at the border, like this ship is absolutely like the playbook that the fire right is using all over the world, absolutely using here right now. And we have an election. You're here, and like you owe it to the world to correct that bullshit differformation whenever you can. Now that we're talking about Greece, can we just briefly mention the Archer of Syntagma, the biggest chad ever to walk the earth? Yeah, sorry, I can't do it. I got you an episode without this guy. If you are not familiar with Yannis mikkeladis this absolutely legend dude who took a bow and arrow to the protests, given a thirteen year sentence and then escape from prison I think was recaptured and then it went on hunger straight for a while. Just just this series of experts that they're truly legendary, incredible.
Speaker 4: They replace this with fucking h just being another party that imposed Austeria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, no, no one's replaced that guy. He's still h he's still but as.
Speaker 4: As as they replaced the political movement that produced this guy, yeah, with like just just genuinely the greatest glowdown in human history. Just terrible stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very sad. It could have been a wonderful thing. There are still like Greece has still a very strong and and and uh like a respectable anarchist movement. I'm trying to get over there to they squat large areas of housing for migrants to like allow microslip in it. And it's extremely based and I'm trying to get spend some time forgot to mention this.
Speaker 4: So they also do this in Spain, and so I've talked about this on the show before, but I actually mentioned it here since we're doing this. Uh So, one of podemos is like regional allies as Barcelona and Camu. First thing that Barcelona and Camu did upon taking power was a victim immigrant squat because they knew it wouldn't have enough defenses to stop the police and victim.
Speaker 1: So fuck these people.
Speaker 4: Those people used to be anarchists, they're traders.
Speaker 1: Fuck them yeah, and this happens constantly, right, like the Senate entered into government in nineteen thirty six with the Spanish Socialist Party and getting and got completely owned by Moscow and extremely predictable fashion, and all their friends got in some cases literally flayed alive. Perhaps consider not doing that next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, speaking of being played alive, do you know do you know who else will flay you alive? You don't buy buy their stuff?
Speaker 1: Is it their products and services? I support this podcast again, isn't it? They're fucking they're all over that shit. We can't say that, can we just bleep?
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 1: Mean?
Speaker 12: All right?
Speaker 2: We're back?
Speaker 4: So all right, we need to talk about two other places where this kind of stuff happened. We're leaving Europe. We're gonna go We're going to go to briefly, we're going to go to the Anglophone world now, a deeply cursed place. In the US, all of these same people gained power. Their giant political project, and their only real political project, was attempting to elect Bernie Sanders. Bernie Sanders lost two consecutive elections, first to Hillary Clinton, the most unpopular Democratic presidential candidate in modern history, and then lost a second election to Joe Biden de Manso. See now he forgot what president he served as VP under. And I'm only mentioning this because these are these are the people who spend all of their time talking about how serious they are about taking power, and they got their rass kicked by again Hillary Clinton, the most unpopular candidate in the entire history, like the bordered history of the Democratic Party, and Joe fucking bited a man like I just okay, And instead the one guy they did run and managed to actually like get into power was one John Fetterman.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Look he's had some banging tweets, but he's been a complete fucking turd in his time in office.
Speaker 4: I'm pissed about this because from the very beginning, I was like, this guy sucks ass. He's a Zionist, anti immigrants' he fucking sees.
Speaker 1: Anti trousers, he opposes said anything below the knee, And no one fucking believed me this. His campaign was run by a bunch of fucking DSA people, and instead they elected John fucking Fetterman, who hates everyone who fucking worked with him, is just screaming like the same fascist, anti immigrant borders. He's also in the pocket of big egg. He's made he's introduced a bill to not allow people to go vegan ex substitutes egg.
Speaker 4: But he's not even in like the pocket of like good big egg. Like he's not in the pocket of like big people who haven't realized that they're trans yet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: No, he's in the pocket of bad big egg.
Speaker 1: I think that's an act of solidarity. Like as a as a man with a giant ball dome, he somewhat resembles an egg, so he feels like communion with other eggs. I think that's what he says. Yeah, so okay, that that's the US.
Speaker 4: At some point, we're gonna do another episode about that all of the just fucking absolute dipshits that they elected in the elected in LA who've been doing like just sweeping homeless camps. So fuck them. But that's that's not today. We're we're in segonna move to Corbin. So all right, So the British last in the beginning of I know it's this is like impossible to imagine now, but in the beginning of the twenty tens that Britain had a vibrant and expanding left they had a bunch of straight movements, They had the student protests, they had a bunch of riots, and all of that energy and all of those fucking people, you know, got got sucked up by Corbinism, and Corbin lost an election to Boris fucking Johnson, a man who was ousted by his own party and replaced by Liz shorter term than a cabbage trust, like you know, and all of these people, all these people I've I've had to talk to these people for fucking years and years and years, right, and their whole thing was like, well, okay, like, but the media read the election against us, and the Labor Party was trying to stablish just like yeah, no shit, what the what the fuck did you expect was going to happen? Did you seriously think if you even like just remotely wanted to challenge capital at all? Did you seriously expect that the poorgeoisie were gonna play by the rules?
Speaker 1: What the fuck did you think was gonna happen?
Speaker 4: Did you think they were just gonna fucking sit there and let you take power because your ideas were somewhat popular, Like, no, of course they fucking were. Of course they were going to say what taut you and the whole fucking thing about the media. It's like, well, yeah, of course, you know, like, yeah, obviously the media in Britain is run by the fucking Burdox. Their press isn't unbelievably insanely right wing. Sure, however, coma, you guys are the ones who decided to pick an arena where your candidate and your entire political project can be sunk by negative press attention. You picked that arena to fight, and then on top of that, you ran a completely conventional political campaign. Right, Literally, all you did was fucking campus, You ran a completely conventional political campaign, and that everyone's fucking Pikachu facing that they had like one of the worst labor losses in modern history, right, Like okay, what what the fuck did you think was going to happen?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 4: This this is again, this is one of the reasons why electoralism doesn't work, because if you're in a field that is entirely about the popularity of one person, and there's an entire apparatus that is able, that is better able than you to directly communicate to the entire population to tell them that that one person is fucking bad. Of course, you're gonna fucking lose, Like what did you think was gonna happen? And now you know the Labor Party is run by Cure Starmer, who is like the most right wing labor candidate since like Tony Blair.
Speaker 1: He prosecuted the people who were in the streets in twenty ten. Right, Like that that is where we've got to now. It's like we have a choice between like Ricci like send gunboats into the channel to smink sink the small ship Sunak and the guy who wants to look you up for taking a bottle of water from boots in twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Like it's yeah, it's not a choice. And that's and like the corporate left has been basically completely liquidated. The only thing that's left if you are these media organizations who are all attacking right as fast as they can possibly fucking move because that's where the fucking money is and because you know Starmar actually used to be a trotsky Ie and all of these people. No, but the way you actually if if you were on the left and you want to take electoral power in Britain, the way you do it has become a conservative and it will work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, look look at Tony Blair, right, he was extremely successful in like criminalizing being a teenager and these insanely right wing policies. Again, people aren't familiar with anti social behavior orders in Britain. They should, they should look them up. And oh my god, machines that make noise to keep young people out of public space, like to fully yeah, like the shit he was doing was insane. And but if youople continue to well, look Britain's electoral system. If you think America's electoral system as fucked, check out first past the Post, like fully insane. One of the areas I lived when I was a kid, Like, you just didn't have an option. There was some like someone named Giles or a similar kind of like Giles vibing name, or a token Lib DEM candidate, and like, you know, Marmaduke was your only choice really, like like, which is why I did not engage in the practice of voting in the United Kingdom. But yeah, it is a funck system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And again it's like, well, yeah, you chose a rigged system to participate in in the first place. And then it's like, well you lost, well yeah, it was like, yes, you can complain that it was rigged against you. But you should have known that going in, if you were genuinely serious about taking power, you had to know that, and you fucking didn't, And now your entire country has been absolutely destroyed. So that's the UK, and we're going down. And so from there we're going to pivot to Latin America, where there is a very very long history. In fact, a lot of the Latin America parties we'll be talking about mostly aren't even parties that took over from the momentum of twenty eleven like uprisings. They're from like the two thousand and one movements, people who hijacked like two generations back of social movements by this point.
Speaker 1: And I think that the post twenty eleven stuff was inspired by the pink wave stuff in Latin America, right, like it goes around in the circle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so now we're going to check in on how the pink tide's doing. The answer is absolutely dog shit. So we're gonna go to Ecuador first. So, okay, Ecuador is right now a complete fucking disaster. It shouldn't be like this though. In theory, Correa is like the is the guy and he's like the leftist guy in Ecuador. He's like he is their guy who came out of the pink tide, and in theory, his party should win like basically every Ecuadorian election from now to the end of time. They should, in theory have the easiest job of like every every any electoralers we're talking about, in this party, they have had. They had a decade in power to just completely destroy all of their political oppositions and you know, to completely rebuild the economy and political landshape in a way that would have made the right taking power impossible. Instead, his party is completely unelectable and have an out of power for eight fucking years. After Lennon Moreno, who is the guy that they literally the hand picked guy that they picked to run their own party purge them all, tried to have Correa arrested and spent the entire rest of his career being a right winger. Now, even after even after they got purged for their own party by the guy that they handpicked to put into power decks after they would turned out to be a right winger, even after that happened, they still should have been able to win like every fucking election. However, KMA Korea instead of like doing normal leftist stuff, spent like his entire career sending riot police to beat the shit out of the digitus eychological protesters who didn't want them drinking water to be poisoned by minds, which means there were a huge number of like indigenous leftists who should be part of like the left wing base, who Wilma, under any circumstances vote for Korea even if he was running against literally the devil, because he fucking beat the shit out of them, like fuck you like and you know, and this one I should briefly explain, like, Okay, this is this is obviously a very very simplified this is yes, a political I mean, I'm gonna do a political compass thing that's very simplified, but I think gets across one of the major kind of like breaks in a lot of Latin American countries that have real lefts and also whose economies are largely based on resource extraction, which is that Okay, so you know, you have you have your kind of political compass like you would in the US, you have a let you have a left right axis, but in a lot of these countries, the updown access isn't like statist anti status. The updown access is on the one hand you have like developmental extractivists and on the other hand you have ecological anti extractivists.
Speaker 1: So what this means in.
Speaker 4: Practice is there's this giant divide over whether or not you should do drilling on indigenous land. So for example, you have the current right wing Ecuadorian government which is extractivist in right wing, and this means they think you should drill on indigenous land and you should take all of the money you get from that and give it the rich people. There is you know, Korea's government was extractivist and left wing, which means that you know, you you do, you do all the mining on indigenous land, then you take the money and you give it to a welfare state. And then opposed to him was a bunch of anti extractivists, indigenous ecological groups who want redistribution, but they don't want like they don't want people poisoning their water with minds, so they oppost Korea because they don't want their shit mind And then there's also Krea is also opposed by these like liberal environmental NGOs who like don't want the Amazon destroyed, but also like poor people can go fuck themselves. And this this has made the way the consolation of these things have worked out means that like that what should be like a pretty normal left right political alignment thing has gone completely nuts. There's a bunch of like there's a bunch of sort of like econological indigenous groups who have gone hard, who have like swung right because the right wingers are the only people who will support them against Korea. Meanwhile, the actual like indigenous electoral opposition in his various forms is a complete fucking disaster. Patrick Cutik, which is like the this is the like the big sort of like indigenous electoral alliance. They keep running this guy named yaku Perez, who is like he's like the only person in the entirety of Ecuador who's more unelectable than Korea. Is like nobody fucking even even the additions opposition to Korea like doesn't like him. So and and then you know, eventually Jakuperez like left the party, but it doesn't really matter because they still just lose every single election. The the left just there's completely dysfunctional, and you know there's there's other like things going on here. Too, which is that like, for example, Korea is like has an unbelievably hardline anti abortion stance, Like he he threatened to resign if his party tried to pass legislation that would allow abortion in the case of rape. Like that's how anti abortioned this guy is. Fucking that's bad. This is like like, okay, yes, this is this is this is a very very Catholic country, right.
Speaker 1: Even by that standards, that's fucking nuts, Like yeah, Jesus Christ, Yeah, that that's rough. You know.
Speaker 4: So the product of this is that a a country that has a like a decently centered left electoral like electorate in theory.
Speaker 1: Has produced three straight conservative governments.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: These governments have absolutely annihilated the Ecuadorian economy and the welfare state and left it prey to like to organize crime. Who you know, unlike the just completely dysfunctional electorian state can at least provide like a semi stable income. But the downside of this is that they're organized crime, so you know, not things going very badly. You've probably seen some of the like absolutely wild videos of stuff of like people storming like like armed groups just like storming like TV stations. They assassinate. They'vessassinated actually several presidential candidates.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, that was it's been there on a wild one. Yeah, it's it's really bad. On Christmas Eve, if I was talking to a family from Ecuador who's gone to the US to get some medical treatment for the son who very manifestly needed help, and they were telling me like just of their life experiences and like it was bad. It was like I've been to some places where violence it happens, and like the stuff that they were telling me was shocking.
Speaker 4: It's gotten really, really bad since basically between twenty fifteen and twenty seventeen, and it's just progressively gotten worse. As He's right, when governments have stayed in power, and you know, right now, right now, there hasn't been an alternative to them because the electoralists toured again. The people who are supposed to be serious about taking power are just a complete fucking disaster and can't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Career can't literally can't go back to Ecuador now, right, I think he might be. I think he can go back.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: There was a while where there was a war and out for his arrest. I think he's back now, Okay, yeah, but the ray.
Speaker 1: Of lighte for ecuadors.
Speaker 4: The Ecuador still has a lot of very like of very militant street movement who have been winning, have actually been like winning concessions from governments when they go when they go into the streets. So that's good inter law. One day the electorals get the fuck out of their way and they win. But hasn't happened yet. Things are really bleak. On that note. Do you know what's not really.
Speaker 1: Bleak the possibility of buying gold coins. Yeah, to insulate ourselves against inflation. Yep. You'd be stoked if you had a ton of gold, neck kudo, wouldn't you? Currency has gone to ship sitting on your pile of gold like Scrooge McDuck, you'd be you'd be living the dream.
Speaker 4: All right, And we're back. So all right, we're gonna take a couple of other take a few other places that the electoral left has won in uh Chavismo is dead as door nail. Maduro's slashing pensions, alarizing the economies, cutting a bunch of deals with American oil companies, and has arrested leadership the Venezuelan Commnist Party again.
Speaker 1: Keeps doing this.
Speaker 4: So, you know, things things going great, like obviously not helped by the blockade, which is very bad, but like, you know, not great Marina, which we're not going to talk an enormous At some point we're gonna like actually do a thing like actually go talk to the Zapatistas. But things are not good there right now. So the left in theory kind of has taken power in Mexico. Unfortunately, the moment they took power, they immediately tacked right, handed control of vast swaths of the country over to the military, built a train through a bunch of indigenous land and then gave that to the military.
Speaker 1: Yeah, switched to a bunch of military come ons around because they like claimed that the old guys were corrupt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then you know, and one of the other things that is really bleak about it was that, like the whole premise of Omlo like coming into power was like he ran in the campaign hugs not bullets, right, His whole thing was he was supposed to be ending the war on drugs.
Speaker 1: Did he end the war on drugs? Absolutely? Not of power to the military. People still getting fucking slaughtered. Yeah, I don't know. I definitely saw a bunch of dudes in ski mask with a fifty cow chilling just the other side of the border, yeah, by the government two days ago.
Speaker 4: And and and instead of doing that, he's also been like continuing to like escalating the war against his appatistas who have been getting just like people getting fucking murdered by a bunch of these government backed para militaries. It's really fucking bleak out.
Speaker 1: There right now.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that that that's been, that's been.
Speaker 4: The legacy of Omlo finally winning a Mexican election is the most bright winging possible. Omlo governments, like I will say they're better on trans stuff than everyone, like the other parties who were all completely nuts, but that's about the only bright spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, like they were in bilfteral negotiations with the US, and like when the US clicked its fingers and said shut down these gaps in the border, they sent a bunch of National guards. So I'll just to sit right at the gap in the border war.
Speaker 4: They've been They been doing a bunch of just like horrific anti border shit. Imil was also just like pretty friendly with Trump, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a populist thing there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that fucking sucks. And so we're going to close on the maas Oh boy. So there's been a bunch of stuff happening in Bolivia that I don't I don't think most Americans have heard much about. So the Maasment movement for socialism, there's some other shit, but yeah, they are well okay, So for most of the time they've existed, it's been even more Alse's party. However, Comma it was always kind of a weird coalition because the MAS is this coalition between like the social movements, and in this context, like people say social movements, this includes like you know, like giant like movement groups, but also like unions and stuff. So it was a coalition of these unions and these like developmentalist capitalists who are well together by evil morallies and some of his allies, and you know, the sort of common ground of forging a like quote unquote indigenous Florid national state that's based on like based on forging a welfare state, based on like mining and extractive stuff and like oil drilling and stuff, and also based on the emersions of this new sort of indigenous middle class. Right now, it has split in two between an Evil Morales faction and who was the foreign president, was president for a very very long time, and Luis Octre, who was the who is the current president Oblivia, but has been kicked out of the MS by EVO and his faction.
Speaker 1: So this is a disaster.
Speaker 4: They both of them, both Okra and Evil Morales, have these they have a lot of personal alliances within the social movements, and this means it's been a very very messy split.
Speaker 1: And you know, this is not okay.
Speaker 4: If you look at these two people, you would expect it to be an ideological split because acres from like the developmentalist right of the party. Like he was he was a banker, he's been in charge of the Bolivian Central Bank for a long time. He was like finance minister, so he's from like the center right, like developmentalist faction of the party. Evo technically speaking, has been the representative of like the the sort of like the social movement faction of the party. He has a lot of allies in a lot of coca growers union stuff like that. But it hasn't broken like that because this isn't an ideological fight. This is just these two guys, both want to be presidents and so they've they've literally torn the entire Bolivian left in two over over this fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never before happened on the left. Two dudes wanting to be in charge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is this has been really really messy, and it's not breaking down the way. It's not breaking cleanly politically down because there's a lot of like people from the anti extractivist left of the party who are pissed off of the way that EVO has like personally tried to seize control of what are supposed to be independent social movements. And I know people hear that and are like, wait, what's what's the problem with like social movements being integrated with the state, because like we don't. The US doesn't have social movements, like not not in the way that like that Latin America has them. Like DLM is the closest thing that we have to that. But imagine if like BLM was like an actual leftist group, like the actual like organization Black Lives Matter, Yeah, like capitalism Yeah, yeah, it was like it was like it was like a leftist group that would like lead protests and strikes and ship like we do. We don't have that. That's like not a thing here, and so mostly when when people hear about the stuff, they're like, wait, what what does that mean? Like why why are we com planning that like these that social movements are being like folded into the state or like folded into this bureaucratic apparatus. So I'm gonna run through an example of what that looks like in practice. So we're gonna we're gonna talk about the could briefly talk about the Confederation of Indigenous Peoples of Bolivia.
Speaker 1: So yeah, based, yeah, so we follow flag.
Speaker 4: I didn't have anything in there on it. It is very funny, given given what we're about to talk about. It is very funny that all of the pro am as people in in in the US had that as their flag, as like they had that flag as their profile picture when this coup was going on.
Speaker 1: It's one of the cool oft flags out there. It rips, it does rip.
Speaker 4: So so back in twenty eleven, this is like, this is like eight years before the coup, the Confederation of Indigenous People of Bolivia opposed building this road through projected indigenous territory that the government was trying to force through. So they opposed it. Their opposition didn't do anything. They you know, they joined in this enormous protest movement against this road construction, even when his supporters had the confederation's offices stormed by riot police and tried to replace his leadership with loyalists. This failed initially, and the you know, so the the Confederation of Indigenous People's Oblivia had been part of the like of the mas's like formal alliance, right and after that they were like fuck you man, we're out.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They left, and then the confederation split between the groups who were pro EVO and everyone else. So another faction of the confederation split from the regular confederation and went back and joined and calling themselves the same thing, and went back and joined the MS again. So like this is a shit show, right, and a lot of it is like you know, it's it's it's comes down to these sort of like loyalty testings, like are you willing to back every single thing that EVO wants to do And if you're not, like they're going to their faction. And this is the thing that like this happens in the fucking DSA all the time, right, Like everyone in the DSA is constantly trying to purge every other faction to install their loyalists, like in charge of whatever fucking working group. Right, but you know this is happening in a place where the left actually has power, which means that instead of like you know a series of weird elections and like purging people from positions, you're storming their offices of riot police. Yeah, this is why a lot of sort of groups so you would expect to be backing evil Art and are backing Okra instead. But really, truly, this is just two guys having a Dick Waven contest. By this is what happens when you do electoralism. Yeah, but you know it's also worth mentioning the reason we're in this situation in the first place is that Evo refused to, just like in twenty nineteen, refuse to just let someone else in his party run, Like if literally anyone else had run, the MAAS would have just trivially easily won the election. There wouldn't have been a coup, it wouldn't have even been the potential to do one. But he refused because he wants to personally be in power, and this is what allows the twenty nineteen coup to happen. And the second, the second reason that we're here now is that in twenty twenty one, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I don't think most American left is like know about this. I think people know about the coup.
Speaker 4: I don't think people know about the stuff that happened in twenty twenty one, which is that there was this massive series of there was this massive series of like barricades that went up to bring down the coup government. So this is the thing that happens periodically in Bolivia. This is like, this is how the social movements took power in the first place, is that they you know, Bolivia, because of the way the terrain works, very very mountainous country, very narrow roads, not many roads into a place.
Speaker 1: You could just block all of the roads.
Speaker 4: That go into the capitol, and you can you can shut down the entire country's economy by just doing these roadblocks. They very nearly this is actually like again the origin of the NIS is that they very nearly like completely destroyed the belief in government with this in two thousand and six, and then Evo pulled his people off the barricades and was like, no, we're gonna do an election. He easily wins the election because he's you know, he's doing the things we've been talking about this whole episode, which is harnessing the power of the social movements in order to get elected. And it works, like he becomes president. But you know, in twenty twenty one, it happens again, and the these groups are getting very close. They've they've they've done enough damage that they forced the coup government to like actually have elections, which they didn't want to have. But they're on the verge of like actually knocking the government out of power. And Evo once again pulls all of his people off the barricades because he doesn't want the barricades to like disrupt his chance of winning the election. And so instead of like bringing down this government and like ushering in like sweeping like left ering reforms whatever on like the back of a revolutionary seizure of power, we have the Maas split between two dipshits. And yeah, these are these are very very serious about taking power. You can tell this because they've split the party over personal bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah every time, right, Like leaderism is the curse of the left, and it, yeah, it stops us doing things because it's always just dude chest some being each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and and this is the second part about it, is that this is a product of leaving the streets. And we're gonna close on Chile. We did a very optimistic episode in the protests in Chile a couple of years ago because it looked like they were actually winning. That's not true anymore, after the whole Okay, so Chile and twenty nineteen has these massive, massive treat protests. They successfully forced the government to call a constitutional convention to like replace their Pinochet constitution. But that got everyone off the streets. And because it got anyone off the streets, both successive attempts to have a constitution have failed. It's deeply unclear what the fox had happened with the constitution. It's possible they're gonna end up with a constitution that is even more right wing than the current one because they've blown literally their moment of opportunity by pulling anyone out of the streets. And now the rights resurgence, it's a complete fiasco. Yeah, the repression of invidious people has continued unabated under the new quote unquote left wing government. So yeah, it's it's a complete fiasco. And that that is today's lesson, which is venue when when when people tell you that they are the ones who are serious about taking your wielding power and they want you to go vote for them. We have they have failed everywhere for a decade. Do not let them do this to you again. Don't leave the streets. Yeah, Instead, don't leave the streets. Don't give someone else fucking power, take it for yourself. That's that's, that's, that's all I've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good place to end, I think. Yeah, don't uh, don't infantilize yourself by electing some Instagram brick to make decisions for you.
Speaker 12: Welcome, Sie could happened here. I'm Andrew sach to the true channel Andraism and one of the last times I was on here I was discussed in political Colds, generally drawn from the work of Dennis Tourist and Tim Willforth in their book On the Edge Political Colts, and after we learned about the roller coaster emotional ride the individual's experience during cult recruitment, where their feelings and ideas are manipulated and they are drawn into an exclusive and isolating group, we explore the common techniques used by political cults, including creating rigid belief systems, immunity to falsification, authoritarianism, arbitrary leadership, deification of leaders, intense activism, and the use of loaded language. We also heed to the contradictory positions often held by members of political cults, so as advocating for liberty while supporting totalitarianism, believe in equality alongside late leaders, accumulating privileges, promoting sexual morality while exploiting members, and demanding free speech rights while suppressing dissent within the group. And we also examined Robert Lifton's eight conditions that indicate the presence of ideological totalism within cults, which include miliu control, mystical manipulation, the demand for purity, the cult of confession, the sacred science, loading, the language, doctrine of a person, and it is by civil existence. If you want the details on all of that, you can check out the first episode in Political Cult series, or you could pick up the book on political cults yourself. As I said on the Edge Political Cults Left and Right by Dennis Turish and Tim Wolforth, I also had an episode where I spoke about the Trotskyist turned right wing cult of Lyndon Laroche, which was primarily based in USA but today joined by Garrison. I want to take a look at the deadly cult that arose from the Japanese student movement, the United Red Army.
Speaker 1: Very exciting stuff.
Speaker 12: If my research for this episode, I looked at dead Bodies and Living Guns by Yoshikuni Karashi, the Japanese Women's Liberation Movement, the United Red Army by set Sushiya Matsu, and Hijackers, Bombers and bank Robbers by Patricia G. Steinhoff. So let's get into it, and to do so, we're going to need some historical context, not necessarily as in depth as digging into the evolution of postwater pas, which is such a deep and complex period in history that it really deserves and has given special attention by historians that I have not the knowledge to buster. We do, however, need to take a look more specifically at what the conditions were like in the country in the late sixties and early seventies. After the war, Japan was transitioned into something of a liberal democracy with all of that entails. The US rolled in and occupied Japan and forced all these changes and reforms and so by the late sixties and seventies, you have post war children who were now adults and had gone through and witnessed these systems full his hand. They saw the limits of democracy and capitalism. Japanese society was firmly under the thumb of the US as well, which created its own grievances amongst population. The Japanese government had become a key supporter of US imperialism in the Cold War era. Both the Korean War and the Vietnam War were facilitated through the US's military bases in Japan, and the Japanese left did not like that at all. Naturally, in response, the state would crush them, as states are apt to do. When the Japanese were taken to the streets and solidarity, the state increased their surveillance, repression, and incarceration. Some on the Japanese left would come to see Japan as a police state with US back in, but that wasn't the left's only issue with Japanese society. Japan's economic success post war thanks to the US, had brought the establishment of a mass consumer society that gave the population, even in rural areas and among poor factory workers, greater access to information and consumer goods, and that ended up posing an issue for the left in Japan because many of the organizations were struggling to adjust to the shift in times. To quote Yoshikui Igarashi directly, the new left critique of post war society had long been too rigid to address the rapidly changing social conditions of Japan. Each person was complicit with the plaical and economic mechanisms that produced social injustice insofar as he or she took advantage of them. It was simply impossible to undo the effects of the system when many in society cherished their newly found agency as consumers. So the left in Japan was fixated on this very romanticized image of the ruggeted workers and not really engaging with what the workers themselves thought about and wanted to see transformed in their circumstances, Like, yeah, it's understandable that workers, despite being exploited, would also cling to some of the comforts they've gained even under those poor circumstances, And these left organizations weren't adequately engaging with that. They were engagement the fact that yeah, this poor factory workers poor and suffering, but they also appreciate the fact that they have access to all these new technologies and all this new entertainment media and all that stuff. They were still stuck in this very late nineteenth to early twentieth century of understanding. Yeah, so they were kind of ideologically stuck and disconnected. They had this one vision of the struggle and it wasn't really being updated with the changing times. So it's no surprise really what we're resulved from this late sixties status co. First, I think we should stop I understanding the various associations of Seki Gun, which is the Red Army. There were three major related groups under the label of Psekagoon that shared a very particular vision, to quote Britisher Gi stein Off. One, we have the original group led by Shiamita Kaya, which began as the Pseki gunha of a major student organization in nineteen sixty eight and dropped the K designation, becoming Psecic Gun sometime after it became independent in mid nineteen sixty nine. Nice. Two, you had a remnant of the original Psychicgoon, which in nineteen seventy one joined with another group to become Rengo Psaki Gun United Red Army and remember that because of the focus of today, and they became under the leadership of the Seka Gun head Mori Sunyo. And then three lastly, he had a group that developed in Lebanon beginning in nineteen seventy one under the leadership of Okidaira Takeshi and Psaki Gun member Chigaenaubu Fusako and formally broke with Rango Psycakun. And this group formally broke with Rango Zseka Gun the United Red Army in nineteen seventy two, they were called the Japanese Red Army. So you have the Red Army faction Psychic Gun her which dropped the high designation and became Psychic Gun, and you had a remnant from the original Psychic Gun which joined with another group to become Rango Psychagun the United Red Army. And then you had a group that broke away from the United Red Army and became the Japanese Red Army. Very classic Marxist Leninist party splating practices. So in the early days Psaki Guna the parent Revolutionary all of the later two groups beckoned Japan's brightest students, the children of many elites. And when I say elites, I mean these youths would have been regular degular academics, doctors, bureaucrats, and corporate careerists if not for them joining this organization, having passed their entrance exams, immersed in the anti mainstream culture of the universities at the time, they seize that freedom to create organizations against mainstream Japanese society. The Red Army Sekukuna had split from its parent group, a national student organization called the Communist League, informally bunned over a quote unresolvable policy dispute, and the bund itself had come out of the first major factionals split in nineteen fifty eight in the postwar Japanese national student organization known as Sengakuin, which was formed by folks who had been expelled from or left the Japanese Communist Party. So, just to bring out the speed, there you have the Japanese Communist Party, and then some people who were expelled from that party created their own organization known as Anger Couldn't, and then that zenger Kurdin organization split.
Speaker 3: Do you know what else could benefit from a split? Right now? It's this episode with this ad break.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 12: One of the splits that came out to that was the Communist League, which we came known as the Bund, and the Bund had a split within it that boothed the Red Army, and the Red Army had its own splits.
Speaker 1: Yes, as.
Speaker 3: As all these groups love to do.
Speaker 12: Yes, let's of split it. And according to sign Off, Bund actually had a really remarkable history of internal factional splits. In fact, even for its own cohort is quite exceptional. That generated over fifty separate groups, in addition to Psychic, which had become Psychic Goon dropping the ha as I said, after it became independent from BOND in nineteen sixty nine. Again nice. And then after the split, Pecigo immediately copied the already outdated communist party setup that BUND had initially inherited from its own parent organization. I mean everything from the Central Committee to the Politbrew, to the Secretariat to the former representation from regional and local units, though a lot of these structures mainly existed on paper according to former members. So what was psechigoing doing well? The members were already experienced in orchestrating mass activities typical of the era's student movement. They excel in producing and disseminating political publications, organizing meetings, and coordinating street demonstrations, but eventually they realized this stuff just isn't working. They need something bolder. The group aimed for innovative action rather than organizational innovation, adopted the Red Army moncle and aligned themselves as soldiers within a loosely structured central committee. And despite being a legal entity in post war Japan, Sekigoon quickly found itself at art of the state due to its provocative intentions and actions. The group openly declared its intention to ecagie in legal activities no can upset whatsoever, triggering intense police surveillance and a confrontational relationship from the outset. Their journey transitions swiftly from public legal events to clandestine and unlawful activities such as weapon making, hijackings, bombings, weapon theft, and bank robberies, and with that unfamiliar territory came many mistakes and much realing.
Speaker 3: In so they went from having meetings and making the zines to doing other stuff. Is what I is, what I take it for translated to a modern politically active audience.
Speaker 12: They went from doing like peaceful protests, you know, peaceful marches, sit ins, that sort of thing, to like vankrobberies, embomments. Yeah, and on top of that, they really had the they had the inflated sense of self to grandiously label their attempted uprisings as the Tokyo War, the Osaker War. Sure, sure, Kyoto War. I mean the actions in a sense it is some urban guerrilla warfare that they might have been engaging in with some of these actions very glad to sign, very direct and violence and stuff, and there was a state response.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot of like more of these like extremely violent militant insurrectory type can kind of get that inflated sense of what they're doing. And even though I don't think ted Kay is an insurructionist, but still it's it kind of it's like, did he think that blowing someone's fingers off every five years was going to trigger the collapse of industrial civilization? And you're like, maybe, maybe not, but that doesn't seem like a really great plan. Yeah, if you're just taking someone's fingers off, yet you think you're like the only one who's standing in the way between industrial society and the future of a desolate earth. But I don't know it. It is a complicated things some dives. Yeah, yeah, it's always hard to gauge the successfulness of your own actions.
Speaker 12: Indeed, indeed, but I mean in this case, I think we can't gauge the success because well, first of all, the actions of all eventually led to police raids, harassed in indictments. Sure, and also we could measure success based on the achievement of particular goals, and all of their attempted uprisings were made with the aim of global revolution based on Trotsky's ideas. Okay, yeah, So they were trying to build an army that would not only lead in revolution in Japan but also eid in revolutionary activities worldwide. So some of their members even sought support and training from groups like the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine huh Yeah. And eventually they tried to organize guerrilla training with intent to attack the Prime Minister's residents, but a police raid foiled their plans and arrested fifty three of their members, which led to the core of the organization psychagun to go underground. And then while they were underground, their style of organization had to evolve. Initially they resembled the sort of cumbersome bureaucracy of a communist party, but eventually they reinvented themselves to become similar rather to the Japanese managerial styles of the time period. In short, because I'm really trying to get to the juicy bits of what was happening, the communication who so they faced Due to that underground police surveillance led to a sophisticated telephone network managed by Lea's wives and girlfriends. Organizational decision making went from ecalitian debates to hierarchical orders, and after any activities they engage in evaluations so like quarterly reports and like a corporate office, to refine their approach for next time. So given all that history and context, what happens next relation be all too surprising. In December nineteen seventy one, the few remaining not arrested or dead members of Psakagun's underground Army joined forces with another group in a similar situation called Kakome Saha or Revolutionary Left, to form the United Red Army aka Rengo Sekigun, which established themselves in a remote cabin in the Japanese Alps in the dead of winter in Guma Prefecture and tried to work out the ideological and organizational differences that came from uniting the two organizations. The new group was led by the Red Mani faction leader Sunyo Muri and second in commanded by Heroku Nagata, the leader of the Revolutionary Left. And quick, quick digression, it's actually a big deal. Nagata was a woman, and that was sort of a win in a sense. I mean a win, not in a broader sense, probably not a win considering what happens next, but a win in the sense that at the time there was a big issue with the Japanese New Left and its patriarchal nature, where women typically only had any kind of say or authority in relation to their male partners. So it was kind of nice to see Nagata get elevated to a position where she didn't have to be connected to a male figure in the movement in order to have any kind of say or any kind of political sway, of course, what she did with that say, what she did with that close way, was not all too hot, but yeah, I digress. Under the direction of Mari and Gelbasnagata, about twenty five United Red Army members underwent revolutionary training to prepare for armed struggle against the state. At this point, though, you have to wonder what exactly they were hoping to achieve. They weren't even connected any legism workers struggles in the country. They weren't organizing their communities. They has created these revolutionary cells where they would hold film to their rigid political aims and refuse to engage in reality. To quote Yoshikuni Igarashi directly, from the earliest days of the New Left, confrontations with the police were endowed with performative value. By taking the beatens of police batons on their heads and being sprayed with tea gas, Raleigh participants presented themselves both as victims of the state repressive power and as agents of resistance against it. However, by the early nineteen seventy it became obvious that their performances were not enough to break through the statuscope. It was also apparent that popular support for the movements had aoracious limit and was starting to wane. As new Left organizations began to see the futility of trying to build widespread support. The acts of violence lost their performative aspect. Rather than presenting themselves as both victims and agents of resistance as they had done before, many organizations, including the Red Army and the Revolutionary Left, began to escalate their violence. The activists engaged in this increasingly brutal struggle became a sort of self appointed revolutionary elite, a group that demanded of its members a stepped up bodily commitment in the form of an ever intensifying regimen of physical training and corporeal deprivation, and a willingness to die for the cause. The United Red Armies revolutionary struggles at the mountain Bases demonstrated the process through which violence came to dominate the lives of its members. At another point in the general article, he says that while the partomatic shift caused by Japan's high growth economy demanded a new theory and practice of political engagement, United Red Army members merely wish to undo the effects of economic development, literally seeking to establish a critical purchase outside of the existence system. Aspiring to transform themselves into a revolutionary elite, they physically distanced themselves in mountain bases while vole rising violence as a means to achieve alternative political conditions. Their two stage strategy of exiting and then striking back of the system, however, proved completely inadequate. At one point, early on, two members in this mountain cabin in the Japanese Alps decided that they wanted to piece out of the United Red Army probably go back to live in a normal life. So in retaliation, Nagata organized their assassination with the help of United Red Army members. Yeah, like, how dare you leave?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, this whole Red Art saga is a really great example of how an extremely militant leftist force really really does mirror so many, so many cult dynamics. And like I I the stakes are high.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: Like you have a lot of like intense shared experiences with people, it can produce a whole bunch of emotional, volatile reactions. I'm sure what they all went through. I can I can barely even begin to understand with with my like with my background and more like a like anarchist instructionary action. But yeah, you know, it's the whole Hitman squad for whenever members like age out in their late twenties. This is certainly an interesting move.
Speaker 12: Indeed, and if I wasn't bad enough, it gets worse. So clearly, the fact that people want to leave means that the character of their members are not good enough. So the United Red Army wanted to improve the character of its members, so under Maury and Nagata's directives, they underwent a purge through a process of collective and individual self criticism. It's always self criticism of these people, so before long, self criticism became this sort of high stakes test of each member's revolutionary commitment, call into question everything from their engagement and romantic relationships to their appreciation of material possessions. Any such attachments were seen as evidence that these members were not committed enough to the cause. In fact, they were the worst thing you could possibly be, a counter revolutionary and then things got worse. So just to clarify, and this is according to Patricia G. Steinoff, who studied the organizational structure of these groups. When the United Red Army came together, they engaged in standard consensus decision making procedures, which is how they came into agreement that the members needed to be tough, fund into revolutionaries capable of fighting the police. But despite engagement and consensus from time to time. The organization was very strictly vertical. The central committee had a separate room from everyone else in the cabin and the internet conditions made it easier to stand out if you weren't cooperating with directives. To quote one section of the article, When the top leaders introduced violence in order to speed up the transformation of the weakest members, no one was able to confront leadership to stop it. Those who disagreed tended to use traditional Japanese methods of indirection, expressed in opposition by silence and withdrawal. And given the purpose of the group's activity and the expectation of full participation that is built into the ground rules of consensus decision making, silence and withdrawal were interpreted as unrevolutionary weakness and participating in violence against others were soon defined as evidence of one's own sincere commitment to become a better revolutionary. Those who failed to participate energetically in the violence against others became the next victims of the purge.
Speaker 1: Yeah that all makes perfect sense to me. Actually, yeah, I.
Speaker 12: When they deemed somebody to be a counter revolutionary, the others would be ordered to punish them through beatens, torture, and exposure to the elements without food or shelter. As you can imagine, people died. So when the first victims died, the leaders said that they had died of defeatism because they couldn't overcome their own weakness. Six weeks later, in February nineteen seventy two, twelve of the twenty five members were dead. One sign off points out that ironically, in between bouts of the purge, the United Red Army members were able to break into work groups and carry out tasks like building a new cabin, planning the next attack, and burying the bodies of the dead. Comrades watching that you like jump in between these pooge sessions and like building a cabin with your buds.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't doubt it. Like I this this all does make a sort of weird sense to me. Like I've seen I've seen radical groups kind of fall apart in not ways that lead to like mass purging, as in like murder, but I've seen groups fall apart in similar ways to this. You'll you'll have like a smaller insular click who tries to remain really active and like keep going and doing stuff while also spending all their extra time towards continually purifying their member base. Because once you once you start that like purification and process like, you can't stop. You have to keep the spotlight on someone else, so then it's not on you, Like you have to be proactive in constantly purifying the member group, or else someone's gonna set their target on you like it has. I can, I can totally see how this would have this would have gone down, and I think smaller versions of this still remain to be a massive problem among radical organization structures, even structures that claim to be horizontal, they still have like an insular a clique of like the people who are like the cool group, who's going to replicate a lot of these same things, And how even though it's not technically vertical in practice, they still are able to do a lot of these same like top down and overwriting decision making processes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's it's And this is really what sort of motivated me to start to talk about political cults a bit more. I mean, not on reading the book, looking at this case and reading the book, because I really I want people to recognize that it's not like this strange out to this wild thing that could nevolative place in your postal life. Like it's very easy for any political organization to become a cult, and there's no ideology that's immune to that. And so through these case studies and through the breakdown to the various components and elements of cult cults and cult behavior, cult tactics, all people to be able to recognize the signs. Because what I really hate the most, and this is why I focused mostly on left wing cults not as much right wing cults, is to see people who have so much potential to contribute meaningfully to like revolutionary change, and then they just get all their energies redirected into self criticism sessions and purification rituals and revolutionary lop in.
Speaker 3: Let's take an ad break here and we'll be right back to continue talking about the body count of the Red Army.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are.
Speaker 12: Back, So twelve bodies dead and buried.
Speaker 3: But on the upside, they have a new cabin so true, come on, you know, it's it's a small price to pay.
Speaker 12: So eventually the leaders Maury and the Gata left, which gave each of the United Red Army members a chance to escape before they too succumbed to the fate of death. So I find really interesting is that all of them wanted to leave, but they didn't find it in themselves to leave until after the leadership left.
Speaker 3: They were all too scared of each other.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and so they want They took that opportunity to escape before they two died, and of course the police were hot on all of their tails. Mary and the Guta got arrested, and eventually there were only five members left and they were armed to the teeth. They ended up hiding in a mountain lodge and managed to capture a hostage, which was the wife of the owner of the mountain lodge, and Setsu Shigematsu described very succinctly what came next. Quote. Between nineteenth and twenty eighth of February, these five remaining members of the United Red Army held off over fifteen hundred riot police at the lodge, which was called Asama Sansu, and this armed standoff and hostage taken incident became an unprecedented television spectacle. Television news coverage of the incident began in nineteenth February, with hundreds of media staff on site to work the story. On the twenty eighth of February, continuous live televised news coverage lasted for ten hours and forty minutes. This constituted an unprecedented broadcasting event in Japan. This constituted an unprecedented broadcasting event in Japan's media history that has never been surpassed in terms of its duration and ratings. At the climax the police operation in twenty February, with eighty nine point seven percent view of ratings according to the National Broadcasting Corporation, almost the entire country was watching the same thing on TV. The United Red Army's form of smaller scale insurgency against the state was thus rendered hyper visible, and this drew unprecedented attention to this due left sect. So after the remaining members were captured, between the interrogations, media interviews and autobiographies, the whole of Japan and the world got to hear what really went on. Immediately after the hostage situation, Despite their rather fringe style, the United Red Army actually had some public sympathy until the truth of how bad things were came to light. They even made a movie about it. The news of the purge practically devastated not only the broader Secagoon organization, but also transformed the course of the radical left in Japan and beyond. Remember, they did have a branch in Lebanon, which thankfully did not make the same pursiing mistakes. Still, though many in Japan lost hope in revolution as a result of the publicity of those actions. Political activism had already been on a decline in the late sixties and early seventies, but the shock of the Purge was like a nail in the coffin. A lot of people literally distanced themselves from their own leftist movements because of how staggering that news was. The Purge literally purged leftism as a major force in Japanese society. And it's only recently, with writers like Gohaisato that Marxism has started to gain some attention again.
Speaker 3: And this is like around what this is like the are we like the sixties seventies?
Speaker 12: Yeah? Yeah, all this took place in the The Purge took place between December nineteen seventy one and February nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 3: Really really the last dying breath of the militant truskyeser.
Speaker 12: Yes, indeed, indeed, if we look at the techniques used by political cults, rigid belief systems check you know, immunity to falsification, check, authoritarianism, check, arbitrary leadership, check deification of leaders. Most likely out I didn't seeing the evidence of that specifically, I wouldn't be surprised. Intense activism, check, use of loaded language. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet.
Speaker 12: You see basically all of those tactics employed in this organization, and you just see the result of it. And I think it's stories ideas that need to be known so that such mistakes can be of in the future. So, yeah, that's the story of the Unit's Red Army. This has been it could happen here.
Speaker 3: It certainly could happen. No, I think it is a It is a really good example. Now it doesn't map on one to one because I don't think many many people are are doing exactly what the Red Army did in terms of their their style of militant struggle. But there's there's there's smaller scale versions, and there's still the kind of insular group dynamics, whether that's like just an affinity group, whether that's like a larger collective. I think there's a lot of a lot of lessons to learn from the Red Army, and it'd be wrong just to dismiss this whole example as being a little bit too far fetched or just like two different because it is. It is a really tragic story, and I feel like people could learn learn more from this than what they initially think.
Speaker 12: Indeed, I agree, So don't go out there and start to unite your Red Army folks, try and avoid that.
Speaker 3: If you want to build a CAVIN, you can do it without burying twelve of your friends anyway, Thank you, Thank you for that.
Speaker 12: And true the problem?
Speaker 3: Where can the fine listeners find you on the internet?
Speaker 12: YouTube dot com, slash andrewism and nowhere else own I guess also Patreon dot com slash saying true. But other than that, I can't be found on the internet. I don't exist.
Speaker 3: Good for you, Good for you, just like the Red Army who doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here, Welcome back to It Could Happen Here, a podcast about things falling apart and coping with dystopia. And one of the first signs of our dystopia coming to be was the establishment of the TSA and the Department of Homeland Security more broadly. Obviously DHS much more problematic than just the TSA. We did a couple of episodes on them with Behind the Bastards back in the day. But you know, the TSA came to be right after nine to eleven, and both its establishment, you know, the seeming necessity of it, and the kind of impositions into personal privacy that it made commonplace. We're both harbingers of the very fucked up era we find ourselves in now. And the TSA is an interesting law enforcement agency to me from the perspective of a normal person. I think they're kind of the least objectionable of our federal law enforcement agencies, right They at least, I should say, of all of the cops that we have in this country, they're the ones you're least likely to have a serious problem with, right Like, they're not real cops in the way that most cops are. They don't like ticket or arrest you generally, unless you're one of the startling number of Americans who gets caught with a loaded handgun trying to go through airport security. Mostly, and I've flown way more often than I want to remember, mostly My experience with TSA agents is they check your ID, you know, they stare at an X ray machine where your shit goes through it. Sometimes they alert and swab some stuff. But you know, for me, it's usually not that big a deal. For most people, I know, it's not that big a deal. Obviously, you know, the degree to which it's a problem is going to vary widely depending on whether or not you're a white dude. But that said, still less potential for things going horribly violently wrong and with a lot of police interactions. So I'll give them that. And it's interesting to me that kind of given this fact, the TSA is so hated, not by I think most Americans. I think we're all kind of frustrated by them. We know, you know, they're not great at their jobs. They get caught in tests, letting shit through all the time. It's kind of a pain in the butt. But there's a chunk of Americans who fucking hate the TSA, and they hate it because of how invasive it is. And it's a little weird if you're a regular person, because going through airport security is still less invasive than like applying for an apartment, which a lot of people do more regularly than they fly, or taking a trip to the DMV, which again a lot of people do more regularly than they fly. But people, you know, with money, upper middle class and rich people, that's where you really get most of the hate from the TSA. Now, obviously there's some from principled libertarians, and I tend to think they have a point there, but there's a lot of people who really hate the TSA specifically because it's kind of the only law enforcement friction they deal with on a day to day basis. You know, they live in a neighborhood where they're not getting pulled over. You know, the cops their job is not to fuck with with the people who have money. So the only time they're going to get padded down and deal with that thing that is a pretty common experience for Americans and a lot of cities is when they go through the airport when they fly, and they also fly often because they have more money. So I find myself in this interesting position when reporting on the TSA, of there's real abuses there, there's a lot of real threats there. The fact that they do get so much up in our business and that we've normalized, it is an issue, and at the same time, like I always know when I do something like this, the people who get angriest about whatever I write about the TSA are going to be the worst pieces of shit in the country. So it's a fun balancing act.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously, as I'm trying not to gloss over, there are some really good reasons to be pissed at the TSA, like this twenty fifteen story from Denver of several agents who were caught running a groping scam. Basically, one female crew member would point out the men that she found attractive, and a colleague would signal that person out for a pat down, and they basically say, like, oh, it's alerting something around your growing or inner thighs, so that like she could bottle them. Essentially, Now these people got fired. The TSA went after them when they got caught, but who knows how many people they groped in the interim period. Video in twenty twenty three caught TSA agents at Miami International Airport stealing from passenger bags in the security lines. There's like footage of it. Obviously, the people who do this are going to be very, very stupid, because, like you know is a TSA agent. There's cameras all over the place. You're in the fucking TSA, and the video is just this guy like reaching his hand into a bag pulling out cash. It's not hard to find headlines that are similar, though, going back about as long as the TSA has existed, what interests me more are the massive violations of privacy and the potential involvement the TSA and their normalization of those invasions of privacy has in the expansion of the surveillance state. So this year at CEES twenty twenty four, when we found out the TSA had a booth and they were there to talk about their new facial recognition scanners, Garrison and I had to go check it out, and the interview that we conducted is going to kind of be the heart of this episode, but I wanted to get over a little bit more of a preamble first. So the TSA started testing facial recognition scanners on a voluntary basis at sixteen domestic airports, and I think twenty twenty two they expanded it to twenty five airports or so last year twenty twenty three, they are in twenty seven now, according to what we were told by a representative, and the goal is for this technology to go nationwide. Obviously, not everyone is thrilled with that idea. And I'm going to quote from a June twenty twenty three article on CBS News. Five US senators sent a letter demanding the TSA halt the program. You don't have to compromise people's biometric security in order to provide physical security at airports, said Senator ed Marky Pokowski, who is the TSA representative, says he agrees with senators and that he wants to protect privacy for every passenger. I want to deploy technology that's accurate and doesn't disadvantage anybody. Privacy advocates worry about the lack of regulations around facial recognition and its tendency to be less accurate with people of color. Most images are deleted after use, but some information is encrypted and retained for up to twenty four months as part of the ongoing review of how the technology performs. What's left out of that article is that the TSA is also allowed to maintain biometric data taken from non citizens, people entering the country from foreign countries, migrants, and the like, and they're able to keep that and share it. It's kind of unclear the extent of that, but they're not bound by the same rules with those people that they are for citizens. And there are other issues as well, as we'll get into. So Garrison and I were with excited to have a chance to chat with a TSA representative. This guy was less excited to see us, and we will get into that story, but before we do, it's time foreign ad break and we're back. So Garrison and I show up at the CES booth and it's kind of a small one. You might imagine it's about the size of like three normal office cubicles. Maybe there's a couple of tables. There's like a little podium thing in the front that's got their logo on it. They have some stickers, including one that's like it's like, peanut butter is a liquid and it's a cartoon of peanut butter, which I was informed when I commented on it by one of the TSA people that yes, peanut butter is a liquid, which is one of those things that it's both absurd and also like, well, actually, I don't know how else you'd categorize peanut butter if you're the TSA, so I guess it's something.
Speaker 6: I can't have much of an issue with cream. But is a cream different from a liquid?
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's for the philosophers to decide. So Garrison and I come up to this booth and there's a guy standing behind the pode. I mean, the way stuff works at CEES is you have generally a mix of actual officers from the company. Sometimes it'll be like a CEO or an executive in the case of a smaller company. Other times it'll be regular employees or like engineers and stuff who can answer technical questions, and then a bunch of Most of the people that you talk to are like PR reps. I don't know who the guy was that was at the booth when we first showed up, because as soon as we said we wanted to talk about their facial recognition cameras, he saw we were media and he instantly did the PR equivalent of throwing his buddy on a grenade. He like backed off, He was like, let me get something for you. He pulled his coworker over and then he fucking vanished. And I'm going to play you a little bit of audio of that, we're interested in what you have here in terms of facial recognition.
Speaker 1: It's the cat too right over there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, what are you saying, because I know right now, like if you've got pre check or oh gosh, what's the other one? The independent company that we I'm on a live interview now, I thought, so, I mean we came up to ask to talk to a TSA.
Speaker 7: Okay, sure, yeah, sure, hang on just a second.
Speaker 2: So the guy we found ourselves in front of was our Carter Langston, who is actually the Press secretary of the TSA, and by god, I don't know if I've ever seen a man less happy to see me. Eventually we started talking, and I have to give Carter credit for professionalism. His eyes said I despise you both on principle, and I am enraged to be doing this, but his voice remained calm, even and his responses were to be quite honest, pretty polished.
Speaker 6: I'm kind of interested in sort of how you see this altering the way we do air travel over the next five ten years, right, because obviously right now people are using facial recognition if they have pre check or they have I'm spacing the name, but you know, the independent company that does get you to pass the line and stuff like they do, like facial recognition when you are in the airport. Is this something that you is coming more broadly to like everybody going through security in the.
Speaker 1: Future, eventually, eventually.
Speaker 7: So right now it's at twenty seven participating airports, and it's not at every single we call them travel.
Speaker 2: Document checker podiums.
Speaker 1: It's not at every.
Speaker 7: Single checker travel Document checkerdum TDC, for sure, but it is growing and becoming We're deploying more and more as as funding becomes available for we're using facial recognition to identify passengers. It's a it's a significant improvement over the previous way we were identifying passengers just with the human interaction looking at an ID credential and looking at it based on what that individual knows about the fifty states and territories.
Speaker 1: And how they could what their credentials look like.
Speaker 7: The technology actually takes that over and does a much better job of validating the authenticity of that idea. And then the facial recognition component with a picture still image taking a picture of the passenger standing in front of the travel document check or podium and then matching that picture of that person standing there live against the credential photo and making a match that way, so we know that the credential is valid, it's true, it's accurate. We know that the person standing there is also the person on the credential. We can verify the boarding status and the screening status of that individual and can provide them with.
Speaker 1: Where they should go.
Speaker 7: Next for their screening because the officer is able to discern based on all of the information provided at the back end of the monitor that they reviewed. They can see all of those items have been checked, there's a boarding status, and there's a screening status, and then just tells the passenger where to go to follow up for screening.
Speaker 6: So I'm interested in how how someone becomes basically enrolled in this right, because my assumption is at this point, just the picture you get when you're getting your driver's license or your state ID for the DMV is not sufficient for a facial recognition system, right, simply having the picture in the government space. You need to have somebody to like get their face scanned, their irises scanned or something like that.
Speaker 2: In order to have them in the system, right, not in.
Speaker 6: The system at all.
Speaker 7: So with the way we're rolling these out at airports and check brains is once a passenger has been identified and that and goes into screening, all of the information.
Speaker 1: That was captured is gone.
Speaker 7: We don't store any of the pictures participation right now, it's completely volative.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 7: Their signage right there at the checker podium UH to indicate that passengers can opt out, they don't have to participate and all that. All it happens at that point is the same officer will UH will turn basically over to the alternative process, review the ID, review the boarding pass and allow the passenger.
Speaker 1: To continue too easy.
Speaker 7: So if you don't lose their place in line, and they don't, they're not delayed in any way from getting screen But.
Speaker 2: I'm in terms of like the people who choose to use it.
Speaker 6: Right, So if you if you're in this system, is it literally just comparing your face to the face on the I D. You're not like en roll separately the way you are if you are in like pree checkers.
Speaker 1: No, okay, no it's not.
Speaker 7: There's not a database associated BABS and so no, that's that's not our use.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: Some of the airlines have partnered with US. They saw a benefit in it, and they're using similar technology for backdrop for their Frequent Flyer Miles program participants. So that is there's a database associated with that obvious, and so those passengers are company have an entirely different experience. Yeah, but the way that we're using it at the checkpoint is as I just said, for identity verification.
Speaker 2: Got you caught that right? How he says participation is voluntary right now? Well, I hadn't come across this information at the time, but afterwards I read a fascinating Washington Post article from last summer about Portland Senator Jeff Murkley. Jeff Merkley says that when he was trying to make a flight at Reagan International Airport, he was told that if he didn't verify his ID via face scanner, he would face a significant delay. Quote from the article. There was no delay, the spokeswoman said. The senator showed his photo ID to the TSA agent in cleared security.
Speaker 6: So basically he was lied to.
Speaker 2: Somebody lied and said you're going to if you don't want to like be delayed and maybe miss your flight, you have to submit to a face scan which is one of the things that privacy advocates were worried about from the beginning. But you know what, privacy advocates aren't worried about the products and services that support this podcast, and we're back. So I think when it gets right down to it, the silliest part of all of this to me is that the TSA isn't even claiming they need to run faces through like some futuristic database of terrorists, right like they want to scan our faces so they know if this like bad guy they're tracking is in the airport in Disgui, it's using a fake passport or something that's not actually what it does. Facial recognition the TSA is using right now, at least, just takes the place of the TSA guy. You hand your ID before you go put your shit in bins, right like, you know, you go up and before you can go take your stuff out of your bags and put it in those bins. You hand a guy your license times your license and boarding pass. He looks at it in your face. If you wear at a mask, he tells you to take it down for a second and then he lets you go in. Right, That's what the facial recognition scanners are actually doing here. That Washington Post article also cites an anti facial recognition activist, Tauana Petty, who says that she was told by a TSA agent at the same airport, Reagan, that undergoing facial recognition scanning was not optional. So people are already being told this is a requirement. And obviously, as a spoiler for where this goes, the bigger, deeper question is like how long is that going to be the case?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So you know that's kind of the big concern, right, is that they're saying it's optional now, it obviously won't be forever, and some people are just going to be told they don't have a choice, Like that's kind of bullying, strong arming people, threatening that they'll miss their flight if they don't submit to it, which makes me extra suspicious about their data retention, right, And that is the question we asked as the interview went on, where is the TSAs, But where is the TSA's byometric data or really where is passenger biometric data actually going to go once the TSA has it?
Speaker 3: In terms of the information storage is is there? I know I've been seeing more of these like signs the more that I travel. It's I do a decent bit of traveling for these for these sorts of systems. And I'm curious with how this works for non US citizens if because I know there's there's certain at least in some of the technology that's being used by customers of border patrol, they do store images captured of non US citizens for a certain time period.
Speaker 1: They do take pictures of.
Speaker 3: US citizens when entering the country at.
Speaker 1: Lots of lots of airports.
Speaker 3: Are there are these two systems interacting at all? Or is the TSA system and not customers about customs and voter patrol system more separated?
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, I can't speak for customs and border protection, but I can tell you that where you we have two very different use cases. So in their use cases very much oriented in the customs arena, and then ours is as I just mentioned, at the checkpoint and solely for the identity verification. And if an international passenger comes in with a credential that identifies them, then the unit would obviously accept that credential. It's a photo, it's a photo credential. So again all that the system would do is validate that that person on that credential is also the same person that's standing right there in front of the travel document checker.
Speaker 2: Okay, most of you are probably aware of this, but the TSA actually does not have a good record of protecting private data. Now this is not old man Robert being a libertarian, it's just documented history. The TSA initially claimed their full body scanners, which took what are essentially naked pictures, never stored photos and couldn't transmit them. But in twenty ten this was revealed to be a lie when we gained access to documents that included technical specifications and vendor contracts which indicated the TSA required vendors of these scanners to provide equipment that can store and send images of screen passengers. Now this was supposed to only be in testing mode, but if it can store and send images of screened passengers, it can store and send images of screened passengers. In twenty twelve, a former TSA agent accused his coworkers of saving nude body images of passengers from the body scanner and making fun of them in back rooms. He said that safeguards were put in place to ensure the agents manning the scanners never saw the people they were scanning outside of the scanner, but that these policies were frequently violated. Basically, every privacy policy they had was frequently violated by agents so that they could make fun of people's dicks, Right, that's the story. The TSA retired its old scanners the next year, replacing them with a device that showed less detail, particularly provided agents with less clear looks at people's dongs. In twenty twenty one, a TSA agent in Minneapolis was accused by airport police of taking dozens of photos of young women going through flight screening. The TSA's record here, both in terms of the agency itself and in terms of its employees, is certainly not worse than numerous police departments right or the FBI. This is something to keep in mind. As frustrating as all this stuff is, literally every local and city law enforcement agency has worse cases, and by gods, so do the FEDS could make a case that, as frustrating as a lot of this is, the TSA is less of a threat to privacy than most other federal law enforcement agencies. But that's beside the point. For one thing, normalizing facial recognition technology in the airports is a step towards normalizing it everywhere, the data that is gathered will not always be deleted, and more to the point, there's no way to know that the system isn't going to expand in directions that we all find deeply uncomfortable as it goes on. That's why you kind of have to nip this stuff in the bud, especially since they're not really promising extra security here. When you look at the scandals of the TSA, a lot of it has to do with the fact that they'll be getting tested by some other law enforcement agency to see if they can like sneak shit through, right, and the TSAO led a bunch of guns or a fake bomb or whatever through because people aren't paying attention. Facial scanners aren't going to catch that, and it's kind of unclear to me what they are going to catch. My other bigger issue is that even though they say they're going to throw away biometric data, they're not going to keep it more than twenty four hours outside of special situations, which they do kind of leave themselves an end there. The fact that they say they're deleting this stuff doesn't mean they are going to delete that stuff. And I brought up this troubling history of like lack of respect for privacy, violations of privacy by TSA agents in the past within the context of this new system. And I want to play Carter's answer for you. I am curious.
Speaker 6: You know, there were a couple of last mic or six years, a couple of cases stories that grew up of pictures, images of passengers who were on the body scanners being shared, right like that said they were before, a couple of scandals about that, and that influenced your attitudes on the data attention policy that should exist for the facial recognitions.
Speaker 7: So let me first tell you that we follow the National Institute of National Institute of Standards and Technology their guidelines and standards to a t. Not only that we publish online our privacy impact assessments, so there are we're very transparent in our use of this technology, how we're using it, what we're using it for. And again it's completely voluntary, nothing.
Speaker 2: Is stored and similar and it's simply.
Speaker 1: Which is really the.
Speaker 7: Lynch transportation security. Yeah, I mean we've got to know that was who we're I guess going live into the secure area of an airport is in fact it's a person that.
Speaker 2: They say that so yeah, that's more or less how the conversation ended. Carter was very happy to see us go, and I don't think Garrison or I were particularly surprised by anything we heard, but I did find it interesting that he kind of confirmed the goal is eventually for this to not just be everywhere, but be something that you can't opt out of. And I do partly wonder how much of that is them looking for a way to get more data on people, maybe even to share to other law enforcement agencies, and how much of that is kind of the same reason a lot of you know, AI style technology and kind of facial recognition does sort of fall under that umbrella. If you're going to have a general intelligence, one thing it has to be able to do is recognize people's faces. So it is a piece of that and I think that, just like a lot of other applications of that kind of technology are inevitably used to cut workforces. That's kind of probably the chief thing the TSA is looking to use it to do. Right, if you can replace the guy who has to look at your ID, or at least most of them, with facial recognition scanners that do the same thing, then you can save on your budget right now. The downside of that, maybe to us. The upside is it could be faster. The downside, of course, is there's a really good chance it won't be. The robot will be even more racist than Asa age it might be. You know, it's one less chance to deal with a human with whom you might be able to talk something through. Anyway, Well, I'll see where this goes, but for today, this has been It Could Happen here, and I have been Robert Evans. Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at Coolzonmedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.