Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: And I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is hot pursuit.
Speaker 1: All right, we have we have a pretty special guest.
Speaker 2: I'd say today we have an actual rock star with us. Yes, today, Alison Mosshart, the singer, songwriter, artist and lead vocalist for the rock band The Kills.
Speaker 1: And I like the Dead Weather, which is another band that I don't know if it's a.
Speaker 2: Super correct supergroup. Yeah. I actually really started to know that Allison was a car person because in twenty twenty she put out this book called Karma, which is a play on word super cool.
Speaker 1: And the listeners will notice in the interview for the first thirty minutes, I think that you're talking about the word that starts with a K, karma. I had no idea about the book. Oh y, I had seen some pictures that were in it, but I didn't realiz it was car carma. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's real clever like that. And I love talking to her because she has that thing where she's actually so still and quiet that she sort of draws everybody into her realm and toward her energy. Didn't you feel that? Yes, Matt, she has that where she's super calm, and you kind of just like everything slows down and just flows into her orbit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I really like you wait for the popes. Nobody interrupts, Yeah, for sure interrupt.
Speaker 2: No, I mean no. I was like, Wow, this is just a great conversation between two tall blondes. What can I say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt pretty lucky to be involved in that. You know, it was the tallest interview that we've ever done, all.
Speaker 2: Three of us tall average height. We need to keep tracking, to start tracking that.
Speaker 1: She was very cool and it's the first time we've had a guest who appreciates my challenger. I would say, yeah, the whole time we were talking to her, you never told us how you feel about the Dutch Challenger.
Speaker 2: It's how she feels about some plastic surgery, which is it's fun to look at, but not for me.
Speaker 1: All right, So that'll be you know what, let's just get straight into it.
Speaker 2: You might as well.
Speaker 1: This is Alison Mosshart of The Kills.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to see you here, Alison for our listeners. Alison Mosshart, of course, you know or she's the American singer and front woman of the band The Kills. But you know, I have come to know you through our mutual friend Savannah, but also through Tim Cadiente. I think many years ago. Well it feels like years ago, but in twenty twenty he sent me your Karma book and yeah, and I don't think I had met you at that point. Yeah, and I was just like, this woman is awesome. I have to meet her. And of course I love you instantly because you're tall and because you're cool. But there's so much more, And just as we've got to know each other, it's been so fun to hang out with you and just hear what's on your mind. I mean, you truly are a multifaceted artist. I think people might know you from music, but there's so much more there, as Matt just alluded to. So I'm super excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really excited to be here, and I like staying busy.
Speaker 2: You just had a birthday.
Speaker 1: Happy.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, Okay, amazing happy. We are all Scorpios in this room, so I already go very good about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm the first day of Sagittaria, so I'll just tweek it out. Okay, It's like a new frontier when you get there.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, wait, you're in November third, okay, And Hannah, you're in November.
Speaker 2: Sixteenth, sixteenth, Happy Hannah, Thanks, thanks, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I don't feel like the Challenger gets the credit it deserves. To me, it is one of the meanest, baddest looking muscle cars or the baddest looking muscle cars that made it sense, I agree. And whenever, you know, when I first fell in love with the car and I started telling people like I think I'm gonna get a Challenger, I got a lot of some kind of offensive even responses. Really, you know, I don't know. For some people, I think the Challenger is a car that is divided along lines of I don't know, class or race or other things, you know, and they didn't expect me to be into it. But I just think the shape is so elegant and timeless.
Speaker 3: It's like if you took a sixteen passenger van and you switched it down and then you see it really really sexy looking. Anyway, I mean, I fell in love with Challengers because I saw that movie Vanishing Point a long long time ago, and then I couldn't stop watching it. And then I watched it like near thirty times and then I would just have it on in the background on mute. Obsessed with that car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and I an amazing movie. And also it's hard to find that movie. You can't stream it anywhere the vanishing point.
Speaker 3: You can go to a shop and get the DVD.
Speaker 1: Yes, true. And I saw the car, the original car, at that Hoidy Toydy Hampton's car show that I want to handah Ridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, we need to actually say. Allison owns a couple Challengers, as I recall, can you tell us a little bit about your cars, the specifics how you found them. And I also want to hear about your dad because I know he's got a history in cars too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I grew. I mean, my dad is still a used car dealer. He's never going to stop working. He loves it so much. So I was kind of dragged around to car dealerships my whole childhood and immediately developed opinion about what I liked and what I didn't like. You know, what I thought was, what didn't you like a lot of things? But you know, I always really loved muscle cars and I would just I don't know, it just did something to meet my body to my brain. I would get so excited. I'd want to touch it and walk around it and around it and get in it. But the Challengers, getting the Challengers happened. I'd been living in London for a really really long time, like sixteen years, and had never owned a car in America. I didn't have anywhere to put one. When that Challenger started driving around and I started seeing it in the street, it literally was the impetus for me to get a house in Nashville that had But mostly I just needed the garage. I mean, I didn't need to sleep somewhere, but I mean I was so excited, and it's the first thing I did. I found a house, And the next thing I did was go to Dodge and custom design the one I wanted and then wait for so long and they would send me little bits of the ven number and be like the engine's in, the paint is done, ooh, the windows go up and down. It was like I was adopting a baby from far far away and just waiting for it to be born.
Speaker 1: Yes, understand, I totally get it.
Speaker 3: It was so exciting anytime to get those letters, and yeah, it was a big day.
Speaker 2: What was the spec like? Tell us some of the this is the white one that you have, No, this is the black one. This is the black on Okay, so tell us some of the specks that you chose. And does this car have a nickname.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's called the Black Shark, which is totally ripped from Huntress Thompson's Red Shark. And then I also have the White Shark. So I think this is just what's going to happen with all my cars forever. But I I made sure it had no sun roof because I can't stand the sun. So I removed that. I removed any kind of striping. I got the best stare you could put in it. Every everything that was the best thing that you could do to the car. I did it to the car, including like changing the shifter and stuff. And it has these like beautiful chrome kickplates and stuff. When you get inside and it's loud and it's fast, and it feels like it weighs a million pounds. It's so good.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing love it. From the photo I've seen of you sitting on the hood of a Black Challenger, it's the SRT so, the first one with the big naturally aspected V eight. I think it was a six point one leader. And yeah, as soon as I saw that, I was like, yes, this is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 3: It feels different because I have an RT in La, the white one, which is amazing, but that black one feels different. I mean, it's something. It's like a holy experience.
Speaker 1: It's so cool for me to meet another challenger person. I don't think I ever have.
Speaker 2: You've got him a little bit dumbstruck, like, I mean, how do people when they don't realize it's you in the car, Allison, and they pull up next to you and you can feel them rolling up. Is there a particular way that you are greeted or treated when they see it's you.
Speaker 3: No, it's a little bit different now. But when I first got that car, and for many years after, because I was twenty fourteen, it was sting where anybody on the highway would want to race me, and it was always dudes. And then they're looking at like blonde hair flying out the window and the be like oh, and then they really wanted to race me. You know. It's amazing that I didn't lose my license those first couple of years. But now I think I don't know, you know, they're a lot more common to see. I think a lot of women drive them. I think is not really. I don't think it's any kind of limited to any sort of group or culture anymore. I think there's a sort of appreciation for that car. It's a really really great car to drive, and it just looks great.
Speaker 1: It's so big too, it's got you, I mean what I love about it. I test drive a different car every week, so and really nice ones. I'm driving a Mercedes. I was driving a new electric pickup truck. But every time I get back in the Challenger, it feels so comfortable, like a like an old couch yep that you just never tire of. And for especially for tall people, it's just a fantastic vehicle to drive because it's not at all confining, and the motor just expands that feeling of vast you know, the hood goes on forever, and you've got that great SRT hood with the two they're really like shark gills right at the front. Yeah, so I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you know, during the pandemic, you wouldn't think of that as a road trip car, right, because I guess Marleage isn't amazing anyway. Who cares. I drove it back and forth across of the country like three times, so wow, three times a wow, And it was the most comfortable, unbelievable fun. You just never get sick of driving it. You know, five hours, six hours, seven hours, eight hours goes by and you're like, cool, true.
Speaker 2: Did you do that drive alone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so walk us through, like where were you stopping. What was your regimen in terms of I'm going to drive this far this day, because that's a long I'm assuming it was from Nashville to LA and back. Yeah, that's a long drive.
Speaker 3: But I did it every different way, like I would go super south or I would go super north, or it was just because I didn't want to do the same drive twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My regimen was to wake up whenever the hell I wanted to and drink a bunch of coffee and check out and just start going. And usually, you know, I have people on the phone, or i'd have my mom looking at the map. It was like I had this kind of like satellite guide of a mother. She goes, well, you should go to the Barbed Wire Museum. It's coming up in.
Speaker 2: It's coming up.
Speaker 3: In two hours. Easy to miss by the way small sign. But yeah, you know, I kind of just I would have a sort of general idea because you're sort of in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't you know, you want to find a hotel and you want it to be you know, I kind of would have like a town that I would stop in in my mind.
Speaker 2: If I wanted to keep destination there.
Speaker 3: But then I'd just find, you know, like a Best Western or some whatever, sixty dollars a night place and park outside my own window.
Speaker 1: That's the dream. Honestly, that is the dream, right. I think a lot of people. I know that a lot of people think COVID was awful, and of course we lost so many great people and a lot of people had long term, you know, percussions that were rad But for me, I loved the lockdown. I loved the road love lockdown. Yeah I really want another one, but without obviously any.
Speaker 3: Say that, yeah, oh my god, just take a vacation just on your own.
Speaker 1: But that's like Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance in your challenger, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was weird though, because there was als, you know, everything we're talking about. It was there was a huge kind of fear hanging over everything. You know, hotels were ghost towns. It was like I felt like I had to hunt food. No, there was no restaurant's opener. You'd have to get and like sit in a parking lot or every day had these like special things that had to be done to get there. And this is before vaccine, so it's just it felt incredibly sketchy, and all the cops from mad and there was all these riots going on. I mean, there was just a vibe that maybe being a woman driving around in a car that looks like this all over creation is not the safest thing I ever did. But it was truly amazing and it I don't know, I filmed everything, I wrote everything. I look back at that time and I realized I was totally mad, like in my brain, you know, from everything going on. But I'm mad, like insane, yeah, insane, like yeah, I have videos of me just like clorox wiping entire hotel rooms, you know what I mean, I mean, just just like, am I doing it right? What am I?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Just this overlaying thing that wasn't like the Great American road trip, but it was a great way to see the country, which I've seen a million times because I've toured, but I saw it in such a different way.
Speaker 2: Did you use a lot of that inner turmoil and for lack of a better word, as material for art, for music, for writing going forward?
Speaker 3: Definitely? I mean I think there's a lot of that stuff. When I was starting to write God Games, you know, we were kind of coming out of that, and yeah, I believe all of that is in there in places there's no way to escape it.
Speaker 1: Wait, what stuff do you do? Like, as I said, I just discovered you do photography, and then I read that you also paint. You are clearly are filming things. So and what is God Games?
Speaker 3: God Games is the most recent Kills album. It came out last October, so like a year ago, that's why.
Speaker 2: And you guys have been touring, yeah, all year, like endlessly on it.
Speaker 3: You just finished Kills work like I don't know, maybe three or four weeks ago for the year in the c Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is sort of a philosophical question, but I'm just curious. You know, do you in your work see similar larities between cars and rock.
Speaker 3: Rock? I mean, I'm uncomfortable with that word because I don't, you know, I think people have like an opinion about what rock is, and it seems really like kind of rowing and stray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's kind of why I'm asking.
Speaker 3: I always like to think of it more as electric guitar music, and I think of guitars as beautiful sculptures. And I think of cars as you know, making that sound and transporting you to that place.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel that way about music, and I feel that way about cars, and I feel the way about art in general.
Speaker 2: You know, it makes sense and somebody who deals in all three of those can see how they really overlap and merge and influence each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that they're all incredibly connected. I think the only problem is people trying to disconnect them. I think they all exist very happily together. You know, no one needs to over define anything. It just all is part of the same. You know. I think thing in your soul or your heart, or a way of expressing yourself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like the way people dress. That's about like how you know you wear this thing to say this is who I am. It's the same when you see someone like I want that car. I love that car. I want to drive that car. That car makes me feel like this, this car makes me feel like me. And then you have people out there who they don't, you know, they it's okay, they don't have that kind of creative brain where that is like all consuming to them. Yeah, just is fine. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm always surprised that a lot of people don't put a lot of thought into how they dress or what car they drive. The Yeah, nothing to do with the price or the cost. But it's all to do with the intention and with the message that inevitably you will send to other people because humans are visual, you know. Yeah, of course we make a million judgments and evaluations about other people based on what they're wearing or what I mean, what they're wearing in New York and what they're driving in LA. But it's it's really true, and it doesn't have anything to do with the cost.
Speaker 3: Usually, No, I just think, you know, it just has to do with what's truly important to the person or what's completely consuming them at the time, and it could be anything under the sun. But that those thoughts don't occur. I don't know. I'm good with all of it.
Speaker 1: I saw a guy on the way to work today driving a Nissan Cube.
Speaker 3: See I have a problem with those cars.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking, like I was looking at it, and especially from the rear view, it is undeniably interesting.
Speaker 3: I always it looks like a shoe.
Speaker 1: I always think I couldn't it's horrible, But some people might be into it for some reasons.
Speaker 3: Though. You see bands with those, because look at you could just really pack it in. It's a timey sprinter.
Speaker 2: It's not your band.
Speaker 3: You cannot pack it in that.
Speaker 1: But then I also thought, maybe it's a person who doesn't care, literally doesn't care at all about.
Speaker 3: Could be a person that's just obsessed with cubes, just that's just shape.
Speaker 1: It's also possible. I wonder about the dude. You know you spent way too much time in London, like why did you put a nus on that?
Speaker 3: Don't do that?
Speaker 2: I hate really talking about being a woman doing things in general. And you have managed to live life, at least from the outside, on your terms and just do whatever you want. I know you don't do whatever you want, but you are living I think the life that you want in cars and music. And I'm curious to hear you talk about what what your north star is in terms of how you conduct yourself in these realms. Do you have one? Do you even think about it? Just as for yourself, not as a woman, just for who you are.
Speaker 3: I think I have a strong understanding of what's right and what's wrong and that and what's fair and what isn't and what's sort of like preconceived that shouldn't be trying to just go right through that, you know, out the other side. But it is, it is really hard. There's not a lot of women doing what I'm doing. And when you say that, they're like, yeah, there is, there's tons, And it's like look at any music festival, look at anything. I mean, I might see like three girls to every forty guys. And it's always been like that since I started, especially in electric guitar music, which I like to call it. But no, it's always there, you know. Yeah, But what else am I gonna do? I just want to do those things, So I'm just gonna do those things.
Speaker 2: Have you evolved as you've spent more time in this business and in this life and how you manage that and how you advocate for what you think is right and fair or has it always come very naturally to you?
Speaker 3: Well? I think you know it's it's always Jamie and I are always trying to hire women to work with us, to tour with us, women to open shows for us. It's as much as we can surround and make things more even and feel it feels better. It just feels better, you know. I don't need any situation where it's all women, or any situation where there's you know, it's just kind of like, let's just get the balance right and everybody. When you have balance like that, everybody's kind of the best version of themselves. They're supported, and you know, it's it's I think it's good.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it hard thought? Is it harder because I wonder if are there not as many women at electric guitar music festivals because we don't choose to put them at those festivals? Or is it because not a lot of women participate in electric guitar music.
Speaker 3: I think that they are. There are fewer, but it's really hard. I mean, is that the perception or is it there are fewer that get record deals, there are fewer that get tour support, you know, is what is it? I don't know. I can't interview everyone under the sun about why they stopped playing guitar or why they just gave up the whole thing together.
Speaker 1: Right, it probably stops early if it does. I'm just thinking, like, of all the great I love female acts, from Susie to you know, Bikini Kill, Jet Jon Jets, Yes, you know Elastica, Like every time a female comes on the scene, especially like in punk rock every I used to work at Generation Records Downtown for a long time and everybody is like, Oh, check out this new Alastica. You know, this band has a chick singing and they're amazing, and like it's always instantly we want to play that more than we want to play.
Speaker 3: Sure, but I think you're also so excited because it's so rare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, for sure, definitely know And I hate that.
Speaker 3: But I love those vans you just mentioned. Yeah, I mean this is a good list, but yeah, I know, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I for me, I hate getting pitched a story about a woman simply doing her job. But somehow, because there are fewer women in that field, it's this some pr firm thinks she should be written about. And I'm like, this should be normalized and I'm not gonna write about a woman simply doing her job.
Speaker 3: And I just think it's it's gonna be a while.
Speaker 2: Even still you feel like, oh.
Speaker 3: Definitely, look who we just selected. We're going backwards. We're going backwards at a million miles an hour. Yeah. I mean it's important to fight for those things to be normalized and to be okay. But men, we're up against it.
Speaker 2: You know. It's it's interesting. I could really go down this path with you. And I know that this is a car car related podcast, Rome, but.
Speaker 1: You know it's amazing men's club last night. No, it was so traditional and there are pictures of horses on the wall.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, I will say, Matt Has it seems that you've always been surrounded by strong, accomplished women.
Speaker 1: So you're, well, that's my m that's how I succeed in life, honestly, because I recognize that that the same kind of thing that Joan Jet had. I know a lot of women, and you know I'm here in TV broadcast, they have too. H If you see a successful, strong woman who's doing great things, she's bound to achieve because she's already come through to this point. Yeah, you know, yeah, it's yeah, but no, let's get back to cars.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just have it I just want to ask you, Hanna, did you ever get to drive or is it even drivable? Or has it been an option to drive that electric charger yet?
Speaker 2: You know what I.
Speaker 3: Want to hear.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that you asked that because I'm going to drive that on December seventh. Sweet, Yes, and I've you I will be texting you about that. I I literally told my editor I have to do this. Alison moss Art has been asking me about it.
Speaker 3: Have you done?
Speaker 2: It's happening December seventh. I'm so excited to be able to report back to you.
Speaker 3: I'm putting that in my own diary and I'm not even going to be there, but I'm just excited. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So this means that you are you not necessarily opposed to an electric car.
Speaker 3: I'm not opposed to anything. If it's awesome, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's great to the day.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like most electric car. I don't like that they make no sound. It's just so creepy to me. I don't like it at all. Well, a lot of the way it feels inside it kind of is jerky and strange. It's like somebody could make something that felt good and sounded good, and.
Speaker 1: That's the hope for this. I think everyone who about cars has looked at it, and I saw just on Instagram that allowing employees to drive it around, and you know that it's coming. A woman or a guy working at a Dodge factory building muscle cars is going to be probably anti EV, especially I mean obviously the automakers, you know, they're really the employees are not happy about the EV transition, but they all look so shocked and excited when they got out. I'm sure. I'm sure it lays down a lot of rubber.
Speaker 2: You know, it's for sure it's going to be I mean, we you already mentioned it. It feels like such a heavy car, you know, I'm really curious this. Obviously, the electric version is going to be heavier than the combustion engine, but I wonder, but they have to make it faster, so you know, there's a trade off. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: By the way, you know what the the eternal search of lightness. I don't think everyone is down with that. I know that a lot of car enthusiasts want lighter, but some people like the feel of a heavy vehicle. I always think of Harley's versus others. You know, people complain about this seven eight, nine hundred pound Harley's, but they're heavy for a reason. They really increase stability on the road, and I feel that when I'm driving like big electric trucks too. I don't mind nine thousand pounds if it's being propelled with the two hundred and ten kilo hour battery.
Speaker 3: I mean, the only point of having a super light car, write is to race it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, come on, guys, we're not just racing around.
Speaker 2: Come on now, we need to talk about Yeah, this sound thing seems like a really important thing. You've mentioned it several times, Allison, and obviously given your line of work, I'm not surprised. So are you. Are you opposed to sound that's like synthetic in an electric vehicle?
Speaker 3: Well, it's gonna have to be, isn't it. Yeah, just to be really really good.
Speaker 2: So it could be good just because it's fabricated and isn't coming from you know, weird one.
Speaker 3: To work out, because again it's like total feel, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also think if you don't, if you're not opposed to a drum machine, then you can't be opposed to a sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it would take somebody to really record, you know, a challenger or anything like that, at every kind of speed, at every kind of turn, at every kind of stop. And God, wouldn't it suck if you're a little radio that played this sounds suddenly was on the fritz. Yes, and all the sounds are in the wrong place.
Speaker 1: And it was like, I don't know enough about what makes the electric charger noisy, but I don't think it comes through the radio. I think they've done something. They've put some other gadget on the electric motor somehow to make a noise like a kazoo. You know, fantastic, except for I hope it sounds better than a kazoool.
Speaker 2: You never know. I mean it actually could be.
Speaker 3: I mean you can change out your kazoos. Have a set of kazoos, different ones for different moods.
Speaker 1: I love like these Mercedes evs that have differentferent sounds you can choose from. I think it's great. I've loved it ever since I first started driving them. And of course I was I would say, like, I'm against fake sounds in cars.
Speaker 3: What's it like?
Speaker 1: But if it's a good sound, I'm not against it. If it makes it enjoyable for me to put the pedal down.
Speaker 2: Then. Yeah, you know, I think I think all synthetic sounds are bad. To be honest, she's a purist. I don't. I don't like them. I mean i'd rather I'd rather just have nothing than something fakes. Yeah, in silence, I mean, do you listen to music when you drive?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you listen to? All different kinds.
Speaker 3: You listen to? Yeah, all different things. I also listened to a lot of NPR, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love Terry Gross.
Speaker 3: Yep, me too.
Speaker 2: Alison, tell us where you like to drive when you're in LA. Do you have special drive routes or No? I don't really, you know, just whear from going.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's not like you're going to go drive up the coast on pach or up Angelie's Press. No.
Speaker 3: But I've done those things and I love those things.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 3: And I love going for long drives. I love it when there's something I have to do that's like three hours away.
Speaker 2: I gets so excited about that. Is the driving grade in Nashville.
Speaker 3: I don't know it at all. Well, we have a huge traffic problem now, but most times of day. It's empty and like a racetrack. It's really nice.
Speaker 1: So you live in you have a place in Nashville, right, You have a place in London or did?
Speaker 3: Yes? And Jamie and I back in the day. This is where we started the band and lived and we still have this flat there that we use when we're over on that.
Speaker 1: You're from Florida, right, correct?
Speaker 3: And lay I'm in LA some of the time.
Speaker 1: Okay the time. So is there one place where you're like where you think of it as the driving place, the place where you go. I guess you keep your black Shark in Nashville.
Speaker 3: I mean you just have to drive in LA and Nashville. There's no other way to do anything. So I think of those places like that and London.
Speaker 1: I'm I lived in London for years, but I don't like that they have the steering wheel on the wrong side of it. Nobody it's unchangeable. It's impossible to change right. They'll never be able to change to the correct side of the road. In Australia, in Japan, in England.
Speaker 2: Do you ever drive in London?
Speaker 3: I have tried one time and a girlfriend and she had this little stick shift like a little bug or something, and I lasted less than five minutes. I couldn't understand shifting with the wrong hand, and then I couldn't I had no perspective of I just thought I was going to hit everything and everybody. And I don't think I got up past about ten miles an hour.
Speaker 2: You know. That was terrifying. Yeah, that's just so much anxiety. Yeah, created it.
Speaker 3: But I really like to learn in the country, I won't feel so I just pedestrians and bikes everywhere, buses everywhere. It's like, this is not how I should learn to do this. No, no, I'll get there. I have to learn how. It's ridiculous not to know.
Speaker 2: But well, although I don't think the personally, and you know what, I have no problem you know, being driven. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you have to be driven or you have to drive all the time. I'm I'm confident enough in my own skills that I love being driven around. Personally, it's nice, it's really nice. You get to see the sites more. Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I spent all my time in London on a VESPA of it's a great VESPA city, you know, And I would I lived in Chelsea and I worked in the city, so you would just drive down the embankment all time, and so yeah, it was perfect. It was like the same on a Vespa as in the tube. So it was like do I want dead skin cells this morning or fresh air? You know, and you decide depending on what you're in the mood, for sure, And yeah.
Speaker 3: It's always hard to know how you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us. We talk about forever cars a lot, and I'm I'm assuming I know they answered this, but do you have a forever car, the car that the one car that you won't give up.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be the Black Shark. I just never want to give it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you've had it twenty Yeah, I'm such a big fan of owning cars for a long time.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, and it's doing great. Yeah, I treat it very very well.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: So you've taken photos of yourself on the Challenger and do you do you do you put those pictures an exhibit? Do you take pictures of other cars? Like do you paint cars or do you make songs about cars or cars involved in and everything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're in everything. I mean, Karma is a good example of that. It was just like you could just go on and on and on and on writing Karma writing.
Speaker 1: Now I'm getting it because I saw the cover, so it's c A R.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, I was thinking when you said and.
Speaker 2: I apologize, I really apologize.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't prepare for these things.
Speaker 2: He wasn't well we know that he was not going to come in today at all, So I really on behalf of Bloomberg. Sorry that anything you wanted to.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was listening to the Dead Weather all day. You know that's cool, which is cool.
Speaker 2: This is great, This is really great.
Speaker 3: I love painting cars and I love, you know, writing about them and photographing them. And those pictures you saw me sitting on my car, I didn't take those. A friend took those. And it was right around when I got it, and I was like, I need portraits of myself with my car. It was like taking a portrait with my mother. You know what I mean. You just needed for the album. This is posterity. It's so important. But man, that's a good looking car. I mean, every angle you shooted that it's just fantastic.
Speaker 2: I just really like it because you know, I know I've read before that Genesis for karma really came. I think you had gone to you were talking with like Richard Prince about cars. Yeah, and this was in like twenty twenty year or maybe even earlier.
Speaker 3: Nineteen, Okay, I think it was nineteen or yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I remember reading something about you saying, you know, it could have been five hundred pages, just because there's I just love the fact that you just pull Everything is material, and that's how I really feel about the best writers. You know, everything just as you move through life is material, and all it takes is actually putting it down whatever medium.
Speaker 3: Seeing it, collecting and realizing what it is. You know. Yeah, it was so fun. I was in New York. I met Richard Prince, who's one of my all time favorite living artists, and he's showing me these like his car doors and his hoods and all these things, and I'm like, man, this is the coolest day of my life. And that trip in New York, it was just like that. I saw so much art, I saw plays, I saw these things. My head was just getting like crammed full of total joy and inspiration. And I was on the plane going back to Nashville, I thought, you know what, I'm going to do when I get home, I'm going to write a book. I think I'm going to write a book. It's going to be an art book. And I started that night and one month later I finished it. Wow, and that I could have kept on going. The problem was I couldn't afford to make print any more pages, so I had to stop because if I wanted to actually make.
Speaker 2: It, you were paying for your own printing.
Speaker 3: I did the first five hundred Wow, I had printed.
Speaker 2: And would you recommend that? I mean, that is really taking a step out into the unknown.
Speaker 3: But you know, it was like an art piece and it's great, and I got rid of them, and off the back of doing that and being able to send it around and stuff, you know, then got it published. This is not a money making thing, and I think I made a dollar from this, but it was the most enjoyable project ever and I didn't lose anything, you know. In fact, it just makes me want to do it again immediately.
Speaker 1: Where did you? Where did you do? All the shots?
Speaker 3: All the shots from the mean inside the book, they're from my entire life. I mean, I went through all my archives and all my drawers and all my books and just started realizing this incredible thread that I had been collecting car stuff and art stuff and those things that combined that felt like they were one of the same.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. To give examples, Why did I know about this before?
Speaker 2: It's like a kaleidoscope of life and music and cars and art and graffiti and New York and LA like it's just yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: But it's from tours and yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: All sorts of things. I mean, there's shots from my very first punk band I was in our tour van, like tornadoes and parking, lots of truck stops and things. You know, there's just all this I just going through. I'm like, oh my god, man, it could have been so vague, which just means I need to do it again, you know, some other next level of it. But it was fine. It was like I learned, you know, you learn something about yourself and you're doing something like that, You're like, I've always loved this since the beginning, since I was a little kid, and it's all there.
Speaker 2: Did you start out thinking that you would be an art an artist rather than a musician.
Speaker 3: I never thought about what I was going to be, but I was always making art. And I always loved music, and I was going to I was doing so much art in school. My mom was an art teacher, so that's just what I was doing as a kid. And then I, you know, I kind of got into skateboarding with some neighborhood friends, and skateboarding comes with music, and then I became obsessed with music. And the skateboarding for me was like the art on the bottom of the board, the clothes that's like, you know, all of that stuff, the fanzines and everything. This is just like dreamy to me. And so and then all of us I were skating together, started a band together, and yeah, off, I went, I'm thirty four, So I don't know how old I am now, but like over thirty years of in advanced that's wild.
Speaker 2: I need to ask about the skateboarding. Can you skateboard as a tall person?
Speaker 3: Well, it used to be a bit shorter.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was going to say.
Speaker 1: I was smaller at one point in my life.
Speaker 3: Still I was younger.
Speaker 2: Even still though, were you tall for your age? Because I do not skateboard, and I'm like, oh no, no, someone who's basically six feet tall does not to be on a need to be on a skateboard. No, it's this isn't okay, the gravity thing is, it's right, I need to validate my theory here.
Speaker 3: No, it's very true. I was tall for my age. I wasn't the best skateboarder but at all by any means. But I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It was fun, you know, I think, you know, Initially I wanted to say, like, we also value shorter people, right, because we're a room full of very tall people. But of course, and also if you're a tall person, there's a lot of stuff that's much more difficult. You don't fit in a lot of sports cars, you don't on motorcycles. I have a lot of problems with my legs, airplane seats, you know. And then we can add skateboarding to the list you know gave you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I've said this before, and I don't remember if I said it on this podcast, but I actually feel very close to anybody who's on the edge of the spectrum in terms of their body, whether they're very tall or very short, or very thin or very curvy. I actually feel that the people who are on the sides and not in the normals quote unquote normal or average center. I feel that I can relate to. You know, I've got several male friends who are under the average height, you know, and I actually feel some solidarity with them, because people feel entitled to comment on your body, you know, in a way that is really unfair and awkward and weird. And so just to say, I feel close solidarity with people whose bodies in general are not the norm.
Speaker 3: We couldn't Formula one drivers, which is a shame.
Speaker 2: This is a shame. I don't think people realize how short those guys are.
Speaker 3: And I'm just so little.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just came from I'm telling you, even Christian Horner, I was, I mean, these people are are.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do people ask women all the time, tall women if you play basketball? Because that's the thing for dudes, like everybody. Uh, when I was, you know, younger and would meet me, they would say, hey, did did you play basketball?
Speaker 3: It's just a conversation standard.
Speaker 1: I would be like, were you a jockey? You know? What was that?
Speaker 3: What was that F one driver who had to cut the ends off his shoes to fit his legs? Oh, in the car. Can't remember his name right now, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I know of one who got the nerves and his feet removed because they were so painful from scrunching them into the car that he had them surgical.
Speaker 1: Apparently, James Hunt cut the toes off his raising shoes to make room for his large feet and prevent rubbing into the cockpit.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this is the big we have to go through, you know, but this is this is another thing we can talk about Los Angeles, especially with you know, being a woman. There are certain body types that many women here conform to. And you know, I know that you don't, Alison, and I don't either, but and it's interesting to look at it, you know, from a cultural study.
Speaker 1: Wait, what is the.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, a ton of plastic surgery and just like you know, very polished, very homogeneous, very you know, center center, no no personality or real style. It looks like doctor shop that well, I can't recognize anybody anymore because I all have the same but you know, just where Lululemon and you know, very polished and just everything together, but also very boring and same, you know. And it's interesting living here, having been in New York and then living here, it definitely confronts you. And I think I always love meeting people, especially women who are not buying into that. Yeah, I don't know. Do you feel that when you're in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sometimes you see pretty crazy stuff. But I don't mind crazy stuff. I just know that that's not for me. Yes, exactly, It's almost like a moving art piece. If you start to think about it that way, it gets a little interesting. That is some dedication to really alter reality, right, Yes, so you know I can appreciate it on that level. Do I think it's beautiful? Is it to me like gorgeous? No, it's not. Yeah, but that's okay because it is somebody else, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, I always say I actually really like watching the Beverly Hills Housewives show because I find it fascinating.
Speaker 3: And social study.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like watching like these beautiful exotic fish, and you know, I am not one of those fish, but it's interesting to watch. It is really fascinating, and I think it is nice to be in a place where you can recognize it and also know this isn't for me, but yeah, you know, yeah it's But I certainly do feel it a lot stronger in LA than, for instance, London or you know, pretty much any city, any other city even.
Speaker 3: I think the worst thing is just this kind of like dominance of that kind of look or certain kind of beauty things on Instagram that young kids are seeing. I think that that more scares me because half of it's fake, you know, it totally thick, you know, scares me that, you know, young girls and young boys are thinking that this is what I'm supposed to look like. That's a big problem housewise of Beverly Hills. I don't care at all.
Speaker 2: The monoculture in general. I think I wish, you know, and I know music has gone through this too, where it's you know, one thing. It'd be nice to have lots of options. And I'm curious, you know, at this point in music, do you feel that there's it's so fragmented now that there's not any monoculture in music.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty impossible to discover new things. I think we've been sold this idea that everything on earth is on streaming, but we no longer have the conversations between ourselves and that kind of social thing of like going to record stores, really experiencing a whole record, really learning about a band, really caring about a band, and discovering because there's these playlists, there's these algorithms, these things. We're being fed the stuff constantly, pretty much making it impossible for new bands to ever keep going. And you know, it's yeah, we're we're just kind of interested in like thirty groups. Yeah, after that, you know, no one knows what you're talking about. It's very unusual. It's not good. It's the opposite thing of like discovery and having access to lots of different choices. It is the opposite of that.
Speaker 1: Do you find a lot of new stuff that you can really sink your teeth into? Because I think we're all a similar age, right, and we all love music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, older than both of us matter.
Speaker 1: I know I'm older. I know I'm older, but we're close.
Speaker 3: I think it's really hard to find them. I just because you no longer have music journalists, we no longer have music magazines, we no longer have record stores, we no longer have small venues where people play. It's a lot harder to find them. So if they're out there, you need somebody to tell you something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there isn't that, that's true, But I just wonder how much of it has to for me, Like even I'll go through a I'll go through a period of finding a bunch of new bands all at once, you know, and then I'll start to listen to them, and then I realize I still want to listen to the old stuff I grew up with, and I always go back to the same kind of ten bands that I've listened to since I was twenty five, you know. I Yeah, The Dead obviously has a big enough catalog that it's easy. But some of my favorite bands only have like three records, so I can't listen to I mean, I can listen to Helmets Meantime over and over and over and over.
Speaker 3: That is that's a skateboarding record.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, deep Cut?
Speaker 1: I mean it's New York hardcore kind of. Or I can listen to the Bad Religion, you know, forever. But I if I find a new band, it's a it's a new band, and I kind of like the sound and I got into it for a second, and then I was like, I had my old bands, and I stopped really exploring so much.
Speaker 3: Also, not at that kind of teenage age where these things really take you over, you know, you are formed, Yeah, exactly, those bands did that to you at that time. Now, it's like you can appreciate music, but you're never I don't know, are we ever going to go off on that crazy spree where you just want to follow that band on tour every single day of your life. I think that changes, you know. Yeah, It's like you can love things and you can appreciate them and you can go to their show. But we have a different response the older we get, which is a shame.
Speaker 2: Are you able to still access that in yourself?
Speaker 3: Yes? For certain things I can, you know, I saw I saw Oh my god, I wanted they called Fontaine's DC the other day when we were playing a festival somewhere in Europe, and I became completely obsessed. I could not stop listening to the record. And it's like six months straight. I do that. I get really hooked into stuff.
Speaker 1: Six months is a solid amount of time though, so solid, yeah, because I'll do that for like two weeks, but six months that's dedication, I.
Speaker 3: Want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always have that with any new Queens of the Stone Age record, where I'm just like, Okay, that's all I'm listening to for the next six months. You know, just certain things that I get really excited about. But Fontaine's DC. I'd never really listened to them before and they're amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got to check it out. Note that I want to know what you do when you're in New York, Like, do you have any places you want to shout out? And what are you working on for the future? Is there anything you want to tell us about or can tell us about.
Speaker 3: I'm doing these days.
Speaker 2: Besides the tour. You're still touring.
Speaker 3: Right well, I'm going to London to go do a Mark Lennigan tribute concert at the Roundhouse in a couple of days, and then you know, it's Christmas time. I don't know what I'm gonna, don't know what the next project is. I feel like again like I'm I feel like writing. I've been feeling that this whole time. I don't know why New York does that to me, but it's doing it. And while I'm here, I don't know. I just like to go see tons of art. I have a couple of pilate studios that I'm obsessed with and go to every day, which is where I'm going now, and you know, just seeing my friends and walking I just like walking a million miles.
Speaker 2: Not ever boring here to me the best part of New York. Yeah, I mean truly and just soaking it all in.
Speaker 3: Yeah like that.
Speaker 2: I think anyone listening, if you don't follow Alison on Instagram, you know, your writing comes out even in your Instagram captions. It's really clear and obvious that you put thought into those, and even that short medium, you know, really hints at the fact that you're a deep thinking person who's really processing the world around you. So anyone listening, if you don't follow Alison and MOS's heart, you should because yeah, You're writing is even is even evident on Instagram, which is great.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Hannah Cool. Well this has been fun you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us. Really are Yeah, I'll see you next.
Speaker 1: When I in La, So she was awesome and uh, you know, I was just walking her out, walking her to the elevator, and I was like, so, I guess we get to hang out again?
Speaker 2: So yeah, did you say yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I mean, what is she gonna I'm not gonna go to London or La or National. You know, maybe you need to come.
Speaker 2: To La Matt. I mean this all of our conversations come back to this, I feel like, but you know, I got to talk to her because I need to find out who does her facials, because her skin is incredible, pretty flawless. It's flawless and whatever. And you know, life on the road with a band that's not easy living.
Speaker 1: You'll talk to her when you drive the electric charger because she really wants to know.
Speaker 2: She has repeatedly brought that up to me. She genuinely is curious about.
Speaker 1: Also, where are you are they bringing one to you?
Speaker 2: I am traveling to Phoenix, Arizona for a special drive of it. Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: That is awesome. I can't wait to hear what you think of the sound.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 2: I am kind of scared to hear what it sounds like. But I hope it's really good.
Speaker 1: I hope it has swayed interior. I hope there's fuzzy dice.
Speaker 2: Can you call it sort of an old couch?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: During our conversation, for sure, it is a very m which isn't a bad thing.
Speaker 1: No, All right, cool. So let's go from that end of the spectrum to the other end of the spectrum. Because you have a story out on Bloomberg dot Com about the most expensive what will likely be the most expensive cars ever sold at auction and possibly but I was shocked by reading your story right now about the current most expensive car ever sold at auction. Obviously it's a Ferrari to to fifty something, but only seventeen point eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: I will that was just last year. That was just the most expensive car sold last year.
Speaker 1: This year, last year, because the actual world record must be more like fifty or sixty.
Speaker 2: It's actually one hundred and forty two million dollars. Oh and that was the nineteen fifty five Mercedes Benz three hundred SLR Ullin' out coop that sold in twenty twenty two in at private sale. Which the reason why we're bringing this up is because this Mercedes Streamliner, it's a nineteen fifty four W one ninety six are Streamliner, is also going to be sold in a private sale at auction. It's kind of a weird thing where it's like private, but you're invited, and it is sort of a public auction put on by Arms Sotheby's. The estimate on it right now is fifty million dollars, which I'm told is conservative. There's still obviously a wide gap between a fifty million dollar Mercedes and a one hundred and forty two million dollar Mercedes, but this one does have some bona fides. Of course. It was, you know, this very sleek body, inline eight cylinder engine racing car that was also driven by Fangio and Sterling Moss. Fangio, Yeah, Juan Manuel Fangio drove it in a Formula race in Buenos Aires in nineteen fifty five and he won, and Sterling Moss drove it in nineteen fifty five at Monza. So it's got like real racing heritage behind it. And this car is actually currently owned by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, which is selling a group of eleven cars to raise money to finance this huge restoration that they're doing, and this Mercedes is sort of the premier car that they're going to sell.
Speaker 1: Very cool, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big deal. And then so it's actually a series of three sales. So the Mercedes is one private sale in stute Gart that's happening in partnership with the Mercedes Benz Museum. And then the sort of second premier car is this Ferrari that's have you heard of NART Racing.
Speaker 1: Only from you. I know, I've read. I've read the acronym and AART. Yes, I don't know what it stands for, but I have heard about it from you talking about expensive cars of auction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it stands for North American Racing Team. And it was just a race series that happened in the sixties, assorted endurance and Formula races, but this Ferrari in particular one lamon in nineteen sixty five, of which was a feat not accomplished again by a Ferrari until twenty twenty three, just last year. So it's a pretty special car too. I don't think it has any famous drivers, but it has real racing history. It's super rare.
Speaker 1: That would have been the precursor to Ford versus Ferrari exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And the estimate on this is three hundred million. It's nothing to scoff.
Speaker 1: At three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I know, sorry, thirty million. Take off that. I don't know what I was thinking. Thirty that was a great reaction. Thirty million. Take his narrow off that thirty million dollars. It's going to be sold at that retromobile. Very cool car show in Paris in February.
Speaker 1: You're right, I think at I mean that.
Speaker 2: Either no, and I do think that is a bit of a conservative estimate too. I mean everyone in this in the auction world says, yeah, it's the same old thing. The right car will sell. Everything else won't sell so.
Speaker 1: Well, especially at I mean S and P six thousand, bitcoin one hundred thousand. I mean we're at levels where rich people are super rich right now, so they can afford to go and drop some of that coin. The other thing is you went to this amazing Italian car show last time. Is it fair to call it Villadesta car show?
Speaker 2: It's like a concoor yeahh a car show, so concor.
Speaker 1: And you know, I mean people, it's It's been around for a while obviously, but it didn't really come into my sort of field of vision until I saw you go there and it looks amazing. I love like Lagomajora and the whole area.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Como, Yes, David, George Clooney.
Speaker 1: You know I love George Clooney too, Yes?
Speaker 2: Is he one of your guys? Is he like a guy you really like?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For sure, you know Clooney and Pitt and these are classic holl would like they can pull off pencil thin mustaches, you know, by the way. I just saw Gladiator two.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was bad. I didn't think it's not as good in my opinion as Gladiator one. But that's probably because I saw Gladiator one when I was like an angst field teenager, you know.
Speaker 2: But very impressionable.
Speaker 1: I did think that the way it was shot, you know, the film was a callback to those great American films like a Ben hur or a Lawrence Arabia. And especially the title actor. I don't know the guy whatever else he's been in, like Mescal Powell, Mescal I think is his name. No, no, no, not not Pedro from the Last of Us, but this guy I think is called I think he's called Paul Mescal. And the lines he's given, you know, the way he delivers them, and the way that are filmed, he really comes off like a Peter o'tool, like one of these classic Hollywood like he could pull off a pencil thin munk.
Speaker 2: Does he have an Irish accent in the film, No, he is Irish?
Speaker 1: Oh is he Paul Muska.
Speaker 2: I've just googled him, Yeah to Wikipedia.
Speaker 1: I just he reminded me of Oh interesting, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I could see a Peter o'tool sort of his profile I'm seeing. I'm seeing Ika, So, uh should I see Gladiator.
Speaker 1: To rush out?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what move I watched last night, which does hold up Casino.
Speaker 1: I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Great film. And also I just Sharon Stone is incredible, Like everyone talks about Peshi and Paccino and everything, but I feel like she doesn't get enough credit for that film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think it's a.
Speaker 2: Credit completely. She actually came to a press dinner as the featured guest of honor like two years ago, and when she walks into the room, everything shifts. It's even still, you know, and especially still her. She has this whole powerful thing going on. It's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, she's pretty great. Yeah all right, So but I brought up Villadesta because oh yes, Villadesta, Villadeste, whatever it's called, because uh, Haggarty is gonna what are they gonna do? Like take it out?
Speaker 2: Yeah so this is no, they're not taking it over. But Broad Arrow Auctions, which is owned by Haggarty, will be partnering with BMW to become the auction partner of the Concord Delegance Villadeste. So that means that there's going to be a sale in May next year of about seventy amazing cars. I mean, admittedly this is very niche news, but in the world of car sales and these high end Concord it's a big deal. And it's a really big get for broad Arrow. This is the first auction that they will have outside of the United States. They're a pretty young auction house, so yes, in this niche corner of the car world, it's pretty big news. And congrats to broad Aero. That's quite a git.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting to me because we have Mkhil Haggerty coming up as a guest.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, everyone listening, mark your calendar, we do have mkhil coming up. He's gonna go on TV with you and then with us, yes, with us. I will be there too, and then we need to ask him how this came about. It's funny. I actually saw him on Lake Como last year during last year's event, and I'm sure he was laying the groundwork for this great news and big announcement. So I want to talk to him about that for sure.
Speaker 1: Cool. All right, Well that's how we have I'm Matt Miller and I'm.
Speaker 2: Hannah Elliott and this is Bloomberg. H