Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. There's a lot going on in the world. You might have missed this. The Trump administration is currently going to bat for the prediction markets masquerading as sports gambling companies to nationalize sports gambling to dramatically enrich not only the Trump family themselves, but also all of the most degenerate executives in the United States. So I want to go ahead and give a major shout out here to the chairman of the CFTC, the Commodities Future Trading Commission, which is responsible for regulating prediction markets, wo by the way is actually a former crypto executive and is now actually trying to preempt any state efforts to rein in prediction markets backdoor sports gambling across the nation, violating state sovereignty and their ability to regulate sports gambling internally. Here's the chairman of the CFDC, Mike Sellig. Let's take a listen to what he had to say.
Speaker 3: CFDC Chairman Mike saliing here. Over the past year, American prediction markets have been hit with an onslaught of state led litigation. In response, the CFDC has today filed a Friend of the Court brief to defend its exclusive jurisdiction over these derivative markets. Today, the CFDC is taking an important step to ensure that these markets have a place here in America and have the integrity and resilience and vibrancy that our derivatives' markets deserve. To those who seek to challenge our authority in this space, let me be clear, we will see you in court.
Speaker 1: So what he is saying there is that states do not have the right to regulate sports gambling, which goes directly against the Supreme Court decision. Now, let me also explain, because if you listen to that. You're like, oh, well, he's talking about derivative markets and financial work. No, that's not what this is about, literally at all. And don't get to that here in a second. Let's put up here Governor Spencer Cox of Utah's response. He says, Mike, I appreciate you attempting this with a straight face, but I don't remember the CFTC having authority over the derivative market of Lebron James rebounds. These prediction markets you are breathlessly defending are gambling, pure and simple. They are destroying the lives of families and countless Americans, especially young men. They have no place in Utah. Let me be clear, I will use every resource within my disposal as governor of the sovereign state of Utah and under the Constitution of the United States, to beat you in court. So that is a Republican governor. And this very much, Chrystal resembles what happened with AI. You have these companies, you have Calshi, you have Polymarket, you have DraftKings, FanDuel, all of the gambling companies rushing to get into the prediction market space. And let me explain this very clearly sports gambling, as you all know, which I am massively against the Fanduels and the DraftKings. They are more tightly regulated than these prediction markets. What the prediction markets are arguing is that because they are explicitly not gambling, that they are legalized in all fifty states. And as we have also seen, if go take a look at DraftKings stock and FanDuel stock, they're down forty to fifty percent. The reason why is they're bleeding money to these prediction markets. Vegas actually handled way less money for the Super Bowl this year than they did the year before. Why gambling is a loser take all market. And what I mean by that is whichever person is willing to offer the most degenerate bets, that's the person who wins. And even as bad as much as I hate DraftKings and FanDuel, you're not betting on dildo colors on the floors on the basketball courts of WNBA. Even they have a standard because they have state regulators that they have to deal with, right they have. I mean, we're talking about the different colors of gatorade. Like it's quoint to think about people in Vegas. Well, every year betting on heads and tails. That used to be the most the worst example of degenerous. No, like, we are in a ten to fifteen to twenty thirty times worse situation with the type of bets that are being offered on this rife for insider trading. Remember the Streaker one I told you about that literally happened. Somebody actually did bet on Streaker and then did it. It was an offshore book, to be clear, however, and his bet was avoided. But I'm giving you an example of exactly the type of things can happen. This is not even to mention all the insider trading possibilities from that. We saw the state of Israel just indicted multiple people who were in the military and arrested them for betting on operations that they knew was going to happen. You cannot allow bets life and death. Very recently, there was a market on whether a space booster was going to fail, and they were like, wow, it's really cool to bet on stuff which could literally result in the deaths of the crew are involved. And they're like, well, to be clear, it's just about a mechanical failure. It's like, yeah, mechanical failure that could literally lead to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think is going to happen that mechanical Right, So.
Speaker 1: I'm just betting on whether Apollo thirteen is going to take off or not. Guys, Right, it's a come on. This is the nonsense, yeah, which has been This is this is literally like the clearest example of total free market capitalism, which is except as always in the American context, completely backed now by the power of the state. The United States federal government going to bat not just for betting markets, but for betting markets that offer the worst, most degenerate products that milk these people. You know, the advertising of these companies. They're telling children out there, eighteen nineteen year olds, guys, this is how you can make your life savings. This is how you can pay your tuition. I mean, I'm getting reels of guys who are betting on whether Trump is going to say the word low IQ and they're watching, you know, an entire weeks worth of news and then cheering and popping champagne whenever he finally says it for a five hundred to one payout work. This is insanity, like absolute insanity, and it's being backed by the government because these people are making money hand over fist. It's disgusting. This is gambling, pure and simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the gas lighting put D four up on the screen of like this is a derivatives market where Americans can hedge their risk against changing weather or no, this is sports betting, okay, I mean the estimate here is that ninety percent of Calshi's bets are on our sports. Like that's that's primarily what these things are used for, and not that it really would make it better if it wasn't primarily sports. But you know, their dodge is factively, Oh, this isn't really sports gambling. It's the sophisticated derivatives and we're just democratizing the access to this technology. Blah blah blah. Like the whole thing is just complete gas lighting. And you know, I think to me, zooming out the two major underlying stories here, the two things that are really going on is number one, the corruption obviously, like you know, I mean Don Junior's on the COUCHI board, like it's you know, they're making tons of money, They're throughout the whole government, So they want this gravy train to the people in power are profiting off of this direct exploitation of you know, ordinary Americans, and they want that gravy train to keep going. We are at the stage in capitalism where like the level of just predatory behavior is completely brazen and completely overt. But I think the other thing that is going on here is, you know, we've always are Our national story has always had a bit of like a casino lottery element to it, of like you may not be rich today, but hey, here in America, anything's possible. The previous story was about if you work hard and you know, we have this grand meritocracy, and there was some level of truth to that, right, not completely, but there was some level, and people bought into it.
Speaker 4: So it was like, okay, if.
Speaker 2: We do the right and we go to school, we work hard, and we start a great busines. Since we make a great product, we too can join like the class of the millionaires, We too can become one of society's elites. Now that story has unraveled, So now the story is just complete casino capitalism.
Speaker 4: It's just complete. You know.
Speaker 2: We use the example before. Maybe you too can get cast as a plant in the Bad Bunny halftime show and have insider knowledge of whether Lady Gaga and Ricky Martin are going to be performing.
Speaker 4: And be able to cash in.
Speaker 2: That is, in the absence of, you know, a broader redistribution of wealth. They are wrapping this explicitly predatory scheme in a like promise of riches and wealth for ordinary people who have lost all hope that there is any other path to success, not even riches in wealth, but just to like escape an entirely precarious existence. So I think when you look at when you look at this in a certain ways, when you look at the AI development, certainly in the crypto space and the betting space, I think part of what is going on here is not just about the corruption. It's about selling a narrative to people that this is going to be the new way that you're able to make it big and.
Speaker 1: Let me, you know, bring it out even deeper, just show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. I wanted to cover this a few weeks ago, but we weren't able to put it in the show. Let's put C three or D three up there on the screen. The CFTC before this announcement, literally just a week before announced the Innovation Advisory Committee. Let me name you some of the people who are on there. The CEO of Coinbase, the CEO of Polymarket, the CEO of Ripple, the CEO of FanDuel, the CEO of Calshi, the CEO crypto dot Com, the CEO of DraftKings, the CEO of Blockchain, the CEO of Kraken, Gemini, Solana Labs, Robin Hood. I mean I just named some of the worst companies in the United States. Like these are the people who are getting phenomenally rich basically making gambling as widely available to the American public as they can using an buying In some cases the power now of the power of the federal government to basically enable their ability to legalize gambling across the nation. I never even thought I would be in the business of defending the DraftKings and the fan duels. But really this is about state sovereignty. I massively opposed sports gambling. I think we should make it completely illegal at the online level. If people want to have gambling in their states, they should have to go to a casino, and it should be very tightly regulated in terms of the number of bets to make sure that you know you can't do prop bets for insider trading. And all of that, et cetera. But at a sovereign level. From what the Supreme Court said, it's up to the states. You cannot allow the CFTC and the federal government to just say, hey, California, you know they had a whole referendum on this. They rejected it. They said, Nope, we're not going to do it. We're going to keep it in the whatever in the tribal casinos. Texas, same thing the gambling companies have taken l after l in Texas. Texas legislature is like, nope, we're not doing it, which cost Miriam Madlson all these people a hell of a lot of money. But this is how you get around it. It's literally making the worst possible types of bets with zero regulation or at least the least amount of regulation, taking it out of the hands of the state and saying no, we're going to make it widely available for all and none of the proper safeguards that are currently in place for insider trading. And these people are printing money. Remember the CALCI founder who's like, I'm one of the youngest female billionaires in the world. We should be ashamed of this. This is shameful to become a billionaire by propping up gambling, and you know everybody is like in the tech industry, everybody's getting bought off. I recently saw a story of a guy, a sports podcaster who criticized cal sheet. They reached out to him the next week for They reach out to him literally the week after to offer him a sponsorship. And you know, nobody wants to talk about this because they're all taking money from the same thing. And you would think DraftKings and Fantool would be trying to do something about No DraftKings is now, Oh, we're going to get into the prediction business. This is a race to the bottom to make it as completely unregulated, open for insider trading, open for corruption as possible. But because they're all making so much money milking all of these people, regular sports fans, people who are losing hope, the bottom level of society, like we are turning everyday Americans, especially young men, into the same guys that you see at the gas station doing scratch off tickets. That's what we're doing for a whole nation, and it's like nobody wants to stand up for it. Luckily, at least some are let me put D five up here on the screen. I want to give credit to Elizabeth Warren. She says Trump's CFTC is trying to strip state authority to regulate gambling within their borders, protect Americans from getting ripped off. The CFTC should focus on ensuring our derivatives markets don't blow up the economy again, not helping corrupt political insiders cash in. Excellent, well said. And then finally D six, Just if you're wondering where this is all coming from, don't forget the Donald Trump's own truth Social company was supposed to launch a polymarket competitor, and Donald Trump Junior himself is literally a strategic advisor to both CALCI and to Polymarket. We're currently on the CFTC Advisory committee and who the new CFTC chairman is working on their behalf. And by the way, even before this, the CFTC advisor or the CFTC committee, he wasn't necessarily supposed to have all this authority. There were a lot of shenanigans in terms of making sure that nobody else was on the board, similar to what they did here with the FTC. So here we go. This is going to be a multi billion dollar bonanza. The amount of people who are going to lose money, it's astronomical, Like the amount of sports betters and other people were going to be lured in. There's no regulation for advertising, no regulation at the federal level. It's going to be I mean, this is going to be as close to a Rip and Roar eighteen ninety silver, you know, pedaling, what were the snake oil We're going back. This is what it's going to look like. And think about how comulated, how many people suffered from that. But I'm just glad that this tech executives are going to get filthy.
Speaker 2: Rich on steroids in the algorithm era too, where it's like all super supercharged. I wanted to shout out Pedro Gonzalez. I thought he had a good take on this, and shout out to you as well for being like principled and consistent in your position series. It's very funny that the New Right does this save the West LARP and then you look at its policy preferences and it's all just legalizing crime, crypto scams, normalizing gambling, et cetera. It's the movement of decline and profiting from decline. And I mean You've been making this point about, like, you know, the all of the quote unquote degenerate behavior is now just like embraced and fully deregulated, and no one bothers to pause and say, this seems a little inconsistent with some of the other things a lot of political project has been.
Speaker 1: A lot of right wingers were so mad at me yesterday for tweeting this, and I said that Trump is now the most pro vice president in American history. He in a single year, he is trying to deregulate and legalize gambling in all fifty states. He is rescheduling marijuana to enrich hit rich drug pedaling donors, and is now pressuring banks to maintain access for only fans models. So I mean, there you go. I mean, what else you have? The most pro porn, pro wed, pro gambling president in American history. Congratulations for many of us who you know, at the very least you know thought, Look, I knew the crypto thing was going to be a bonanza and whatever, like that's bad, but it's kind of separate to gambling, Like this is the most predatory industry with the highest suicide rate. I mean, they're one third of American young men have an open gambling account. The amount of addiction, it's if you talk to the gambling hotlines and others, it is horrible. And for those of you who think like, oh, I don't gamble, so it doesn't affect me. When a state legalizes online, a state legalizes gambling, the aggregate like amount of credit goes down. It actually affects everybody. The amount of domestic violence it goes up. The public resources are going to have to be dedicated to dealing with this. It's going to be like the cocaine crisis in the eighteen nineties, when all of a sudden, we just said junkies everywhere, and we didn't know what to do. It's going to be very similar. Go to Vegas and you see the bums that are on the street begging for a dollar so they can get some food. That's going to be the whole nation, you know.
Speaker 4: And it's the adaption to pretend you're pro family.
Speaker 2: Well you know, yeah, yeah, nothing will blow up in regularly.
Speaker 1: Nothing will blow your life up like a gambling addiction. I can tell you a story after story, lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit, people who never placed a bet to fully bankrupt divorce and on the verge of suicide in the span of two or three years, gambling with their kids Christmas presents, life savings, five twenty nine accounts, and these people will take your money all day long. And now it's going to be even less regularly, and it's.
Speaker 4: Young men who will suffer the most.
Speaker 2: Your most you know, easily is sort of like have the psychology that's the most easily exploited by this stuff that are overwhelmingly the largest percentage.
Speaker 1: Of the bad. So bad, All right, let's get to the next one.
Speaker 2: So the New York Times had a very interesting focus group of Democratic voters, which I feel like we don't see that much. I feel like there's always because the liberal media is kind of like more in tune with Democrats. There's less curiosity about what's going on with the Democratic base. So it's usually either like swing voters or Trump voters. Let's go on safari and see what these strange creatures think about the world. So they decided to do that with the Democratic base, and you know, now, I think liberal media has become more disconnected from where the Democratic bases, and the Democratic party leadership certainly has become more disconnected from where the Democratic bases. So anyway we can put this F one up on the screen. This was the headline for their focus group. They said, show up for us thirteen Democratic voters on Trump Ice and their frustrations with the Democratic Party and the thing they sees on here at the top with these three voters is their description of the Democratic Party. One says paralyzed and the other says sold out, another says afraid. These are three very different people, very different you know, backgrounds. So and this was the conclusion across the board, let's go and put F two up on the screen. This is probably the slide that got the single most attention. Ryan, Emily and Emily mentioned this in their show yesterday, but we wanted to dig in a little bit more. They asked their thirteen focused group participants what type of candidates they're looking for, and they ask them, you know, would you prefer someone who's young or you don't really care? And overwhelmingly, of course, people say we like someone who's younger. What sort of class background there is major preference for, you know, middle or working class? They asked them, do you prefer a candidate who identifies as progressive or a candidate who identifies as moderate. Every single person said they prefer a progressive candidate for a moderate candidate. Literally, no one raised a hand. Okay, let me go ahead and put the next piece up on the screen of data here. That was also interesting. So this is where they're asking them. Okay, well, tell me what you think about the Democratic Party if you had to use one or two words to describe it, what words would you pick?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I remind you, these are all Democrats, okay, these are Democratic Party voters. Number one spineless, Number two, more complacent than I thought they would be. Number three paralyzed, afraid, incompetent. I guess suffocated or given up, sold out? Next one sellouts and suckers immobilized. Can I say no balls, no kahonas, I will say, there are a large number of young Democrats that are really starting to climb the ranks in the party, that are motivated. I'm hoping that that will start to take over a little bit more so when you see those numbers overall, of like the Democratic Party being at its lowest approval rating in history. These type of people are a big part of that story because obviously Republicans are going to hate Democrats. There's a significant number of independents who are obviously discussed with Democrats, but it's their own voters being so disgusted and frustrated with them that has really sent them to the lowest lows and then last one. Then we can get, you know, into our reaction to all of this. This is there was a question about, Okay, well, is there anyone out there that you think is you know, doing something good. Has anybody seen anything from Democrat, any candidate or public figure or someone locally that's made you say, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need more of this. This is what we should be doing.
Speaker 2: More of this, guy, says Mike thirty three, white Democrat, says Zoron Montani. Clear concise messaging. It's exactly what everybody wants. It helps everybody. It's the perfect messaging because it's clear and concise. Unlike Democrats, just like Bernie. Bernie has said the same thing since the eighties. You've got a tax of billionaires, you've got a tax upperclass. He's never changed. That's the messaging. You've just got to drill it into them. And Zoron did it. Man, it's beautiful. Diane seventy two said Mike said it pretty clearly, and I can't really think of anything to add to that. And there was another person further down the list who also was like, yeah, Mike said what I was going to say.
Speaker 4: Now, I will temper that.
Speaker 2: Zager with the fact that the other two names that came up organically in the course of the conversation as like democratic candidates that they were excited about were Jasmine Crockett and Pete Booter.
Speaker 1: I wanted everyone to know very careful because.
Speaker 4: So what a progressive is is very.
Speaker 1: Contested, as we have all discovered over the years of the show. And I have no hate for the average American, but it's not like people are very good at self identifying. Somebody will be like, I'm a conservative, but that means I want to tax billionaires and you're like, wait what You're like, what are you talking about? Right? And then somebody, Look, people are complicated. They don't think much about terms when they hear the I mean, when I say the word progressive, what do they think I want to move forward?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean can mean a lot of different things. Do the activist class to the leftist base, that's an actual identity. So like when I say I am a rightist. That's because I've read a lot about politics. I don't identify as a small C conservative. That's really not something that is like that doesn't encompass like a belief right like I would put myself much more in the vein of like a European rightist. But most people don't think about politics like. They don't read a lot about definitions. To them, progressive means going forward, great, awesome right.
Speaker 2: Just to add to that, at least one of them, but maybe a number of them, brought up Joe Manchin as why they do not want to moderate. And so I think the combination of him, Kirson cinem and maybe a handful of others, but those two being the primary villains, they really destroyed the moderate label within the Democratic Party because now moderate just seems like, oh, you're just gonna obstruct anything good happening. You're just going to sell out to like various corporate interests.
Speaker 4: So no, of course we don't want that.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing, and this is where you know where it's dangerous, is there is a the Democratic base is united in wanting to fight harder against Trump right. They want someone who's pushing back effectively and is out there and taking risks and is meeting the moment in terms of the threat that they perceive to the country. Sometimes though, that can be very amorphous. That's how you end up with someone like Jasmine Crockett being named as like she's a fighter will She is very rhetorically gifted, she's very sassy. You know, she gets out there, she's like quick with the quip, undeniably like talented and charismatic. But if you dig underneath the surface, there's some real problems there in terms of who she's taking money from and the positions, how far she's willing to go, and she's.
Speaker 1: Procrypt, she's identity pauled, like she's calling James Tallerico racist. You know, she's the worst if you ask me. But that's the issue.
Speaker 4: But that's that's the challenge.
Speaker 2: That's the question mark to me is not do Democrats want to f They do, There's no doubt about it. You know that that argument has been one and I think the argument also has been one about like we're not listening to these establishment boys like Chuck Shumeranha King, Jeffries, go fuck yourself. We don't care what you have to say. Even liberal you know, media institutions. I think there's been a really breaking of the trust. But what it means is being a progressive. Is that Gavin Newsome being on Twitter and doing his like trolling routine, or is that, you know, a Zoran mom Donnie type of politician where not only do you have I mean Zora actually doesn't do a lot of the like trope clapback or whatever, but where you have an aggressive social media posture, but it's backed up by specific policies as well. And so that's the piece that you know, I think sort of remains to be determined, and we're going to see. I think we'll get a lot of indication of that from some of the primaries that are going to play out going to play out right now, and then certainly obviously the biggest test of that will be in twenty twenty eight whether someone like Gavin Newsom is going to be able to position themselves as a quote unquote progressive even as he is out there standing with billionaires to oppose a wealth tax in his state. I am personally actually hopeful that some of those things will be a problem, Like you can see them mention in you know, a bunch of the responses throughout this they talk about taxing the rich as it's kind of like a litmus test issue, and that would be a very hard one for a Gavin Newsom's style candidate to you know, obviously he's like already on the wrong side of that issue. So I am hopeful that there actually will be a substantive policy lens that the term progressive will be viewed for, But I fully acknowledge that that is still a question mark for sure.
Speaker 1: As I have learned over the years, and I've watched the words working class came to mean very different things. To remember, Ted Cruz used to say that we're a working class part. Ted Cruz called up a working class politician, okay, And if you were to ask people, some of the people who voted for him, they might even say, oh, yeah, you sports the work, like be honest, like is there a huge disconnect for all of it. I've seen the term bastardized about populism or working class now in the Republican Party, and it can be true at a rhetorical level, wrong at a policy level. Turns out, a lot of people don't care about the policy level. At the middle of an election, you could very easily see how it could be bastardized. And I mean for the people who watch our show, it's going to be tough because you know, you guys, if you're watching this, you're in the top two five percent of people consume politics. You got to think about your uncle or somebody who really doesn't pay that much attention is pissed off about Trump because of the White House lawn or something like that. You know somebody who's cranky about decorum. What does the term progressive mean to them? Probably nothing. And so when a Pete boodhaj Edge can say that famous Hillary line, I'm a progressive who likes to get things done, it might land same with Gavin Newsom. I nobody's done more on climate than me. The billionaire question. He's a very savvy political operator. Times I'll give you some hope. I'll give you some hope, which is for the Democratic base. Because the Democratic base is now more overwhelmingly college educated than everyone else. They are going to be a lot more well read and grammatic literally grammatically, uh, let's think about the best way to phrases. They're going to be a lot more educated and a lot more have much more of an ability to parse language and actually think about what these terms mean. As opposed to what the current existing Republican base is going to be, They're going to be way more heavier news consumers, much more well read whenever it comes to politics, probably care much more about policy. Richard Henania has the famous thing about how conservatives watch TV and liberals read that actually does matter whenever it comes to policy, prescription and other things. Is if you're going to read a policy position that already puts you pretty dramatically out of step with some of the other base that is voting, I mean, I'm just being real here in terms of how that will look. So I think it will actually look quite different. But the other thing that I'm not I don't want to underestimate for a lot of the people who are also Democrats is you should forget don't forget. South Carolina could be the first state and that's a very different Democratic primary. And then if you have lower propensity voters who are upset at Trump who come out to vote.
Speaker 2: Although those people in South Carolina did not mess with Pete Boodage, so I'm not worried about him doing well there, they.
Speaker 1: Could mess with Crockett right, I could see that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you think, don't you think she's going to run for president?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Why not?
Speaker 4: I think he's not to win.
Speaker 2: You know Texas, like the war senator from Texas.
Speaker 1: Bato failed he ran for president.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how did that work out?
Speaker 1: Sure he got two percent?
Speaker 4: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What I need is Jim Clyburn to come in and make you a king. Remember there's no Iowa, there's no New Hampshire Clearinghouse this time.
Speaker 4: Well it's not.
Speaker 2: It's actually not clear what the order of the states is going to be. Some of that is still up for grounds. South Carolina will certainly be early and important in the process.
Speaker 4: But I mean, here's here's what I would say.
Speaker 2: My own prediction is that there are going to be a few issues that are Lippus test issues. I think their money for maypack, I think they're taxing the rich, and I think it's abolishing nice. I think those three things are going to be actual litmus test issues, and candidates who can't give clear cut answers on that are going to struggle. And I think the testing ground for that has been that I've had at podcast where you've got you know, you've got lady, I mean, Jennifer and Pumps at this point have really shifted a lot to the left right. These were Hillary supporters who are now like, you know what, Bernie was right and we should have been there a lot. So they have shifted significantly. But you know, their audience is very reflective of kind of like the core liberal base of the Democratic Party. And they are not speak not having it. They have not having it with Corey Booker coming on and doing his little tap dance or Ram Emmanuel whoever.
Speaker 4: They are not having it with these people.
Speaker 2: And so you know, that tells me there is kind of a hard line and an expectation of we want to hear not just you, you know, with a bunch of word salad trying to massage an answer. We want to hear yes or no answers to these few questions. The other thing that gives me some hope, especially on the identity politics front.
Speaker 4: Is there is also the level of trickery that Hillary.
Speaker 2: Clinton was able to engage in in her campaign against Bernie, where she was positioning herself like using identity politics to pretend like she was the more progressive candidate. I think people see through that garbage entirely at this point, as evidenced by the fact that Hailey Stevens, who is a Michigan member of Congress, she's in the House right now and is running for Senate. It's like the conservative or moderate candidate in that race back by Tuck, Shoomer, etc. She went and toured an ICE facility and she tro When she came out, she was like, Oh, I felt better because we've got female ICE agents who are running the place, trying to do like a girl boss ice agent situation. And people were not buying this whatsoever.
Speaker 4: This is f five. Let's take aalism of noe.
Speaker 1: There are female female leadership.
Speaker 4: Here your female leadership, and there are women.
Speaker 5: Who who walked with us today and explained on the intake process how important it is to dream people with humanity, and that obviously really stuck out to me because some of the things that we are witnessing before our eyes in our neighborhoods, in our streets is really a lack of humanity.
Speaker 2: So people were you know, this one did not land. This did not land with the Democratic base whatsoever. I mean, it's the name, right, It's like you know they're bombing.
Speaker 1: But they're they're at least their female.
Speaker 2: Right, they're female, and they're flying the gay pride flags. No, no, no, where we see through that. Now, we're not doing this anymore.
Speaker 1: Listen, I would I would welcome nothing more. More. Recently, there's been a gay there's been a sassy gay ice agent who's gone viral on the road. Oh, I thought I saw that. I loved the same thing. If we could turn them against we can turn against identity politics, no one will be happier than me. Oh that was great. Let's get to the next one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So this is an interesting story.
Speaker 2: It kind of dovetails with some of the you know, it's a cross coalitional I think backlash against the push towards gambling. But the most clear place where we've had this cross partisan backlash is in the fight against AI more broadly, but specifically on the front lines with regards to data centers. And we could put this up on the screen. This is a scene from Claremore, Oklahoma. This is like a local Oklahoma town meeting where this person who was in Oklahoma says people are being arrested for speaking out against AI data centers. Please keep standing up for your community. There's another video that's gone viral this morning that I saw you guys could take this down. That I saw of another place I'm not sure if it was a red state or not, but where there had been significant protests against the data center and ultimately the town backs down. The backlash against these places is really building. And I was just listening to The New York Times actually did a deep dive into a town in Indiana that has become a hot spot for a bunch of these data centers.
Speaker 4: And the first ones kind of got built and.
Speaker 2: People just like accepted it, and there wasn't they didn't need any zone owing approval, so the town council like it just kind of sailed through. And now people are experiencing all of this increased traffic and noise, and they're starting to research, Okay, what even is AI and what is this going to mean, and what's it going to mean long term? And how many jobs are even really created? What is this going to mean for our community? And now there was a huge backlash to this new data center that they were trying to place there that did require a zoning change, which meant that the town had a chance to weigh in, so they held meetings overnight and they first called for okay, who's in support of this? And people got up and they spoke for there were like, you know, enough to fill about twenty five minutes. Then they opened it up for the opponents. The opponents there were so many of them that the meeting went on into four am assult ultimately, and this is a small town, right and ultimately the town council is like, okay, yeah, we're not going to do this. And so you are seeing this huge backlash and a lot of these data centers are being located in red states and red areas because rural areas have more and rural areas tend to be more Republican. Let's go and put G two up on the screen. This was a fantastic report from the Financial Times. They say Donald Trump's AI push fuel's revolt in MAGA heartlands. On a cold Tuesday evening last week, about two hundred Missourians, Missouri being another hotbed of AI development and also backlash, crammed into a Methodist church to share a message. The AI revolution embraced by Trump's White House did not have their unqualified support.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I voted for this administration and didn't really think about AI until it started to affect me, said Lisa Garrett, who lives beside the site of a rapidly greenlit six point six billion dollars four hundred acre data center development in the satellite city of Independence, just east of Kansas City. A worker for a local ministry, Garrett's Onneyes extends beyond the project's demand on local water and electricity supplies, to the broader social impact of the industry it is being built to support. I have grandchildren. It does concern me that they're being drawn into a world that isn't real, she said. Her concerns, which pull after poll has shown her shared by much of Trump's space, are increasingly at odds with the posture and policies of his administration. And actually, Sager, I mean it is very like cross partisan the concerns here about data centers in particular. But the recent pulling that I saw show showed that the concerns were actually higher on the right for reasons that you can understand, because there tends to be more you know, more of a rural base, more concern about, okay, what is this community going to be, and more like sort of like this rootedness in a certain place and so and more quote unquote conservative views of like we aren't we are a little wary of change. We don't necessarily want the world to be turned upside down, not just in our local community, but by whatever this means. So, you know, I think this is one of the important fights as we contemplate what AI is going to mean for our social contract, and one of the places where you can sort of like you know, throw sand in the gears and at least slow the process down so that there is more of a chance for democracy to be able.
Speaker 1: To catch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think it's amazing, Like they're literally organic movements, people with their children, no data center, because again, everyone can feel this encroachment in their lives, especially if you have a child. So there's all these viral threads that are going around now about Spotify. For example, someone was like, you know, I'm so careful I don't allow video, and then what ended up happening is I gave my kids access to my Spotify account, but now Spotify is including music videos and it was like a workaround, and he's like, now I have to take Spotify away from it. It's like at every level you have parents who are bombarded doing everything they possibly can, having to pay attention to like every facet of modern life. More recently, you know how they would give out chromebooks or computers. You have teachers or you have parents who are turning them in. They're like, I can't have my children on this. They're using it as a workaround their screen time and all this. They're demanding that schools go back to paper because they're like, we have to just get rid of all this technology. Nothing's good coming from this is rotting my child's brain. And then you put the AI data center stuff into this, and then you have to look at the promise. What are we getting more claud agents that might like automate all the jobs, or more slop that children can watch on YouTube or YouTube shorts more. You know, now there's all these new AI movies that people are competing for. Everyone's like the bargain is not worth it. Higher electricity price and trying to take my job, which you increasingly brag about, and then general also just like propping up a sham stock market all at the same time, it's just is ridiculous. On top of corrupting a local community energy usage power bills it's all about control. And yeah, the most conservative impulse of all time is to like the famous line is like stand thwart history and yell stop, and like that's how a lot of people feel right now.
Speaker 4: I feel like the way right now.
Speaker 2: I feel that way because listen, you know, I think the technology is cool.
Speaker 4: Like I've been playing around with Claude.
Speaker 2: I think the advances over the past year, the more I dig into it, the more I realize is genuinely extraordinary. You know, the things you're able to feed in the hallucination have been diminished, the level the ability this part I haven't been able to figure out yet. But you know, you hear people who are not technical people or able to just go and like create an app and it doesn't even take very long and Claude spins it out in a few minutes.
Speaker 4: This is something. This is astonishing.
Speaker 2: And if it was, if the ownership was done correctly and the democratic control was done correctly, you can't imagine, you know, a society that was not structured like ours, where this would just be beneficial, where it would just be exciting and we would figure out how to manage the resources. I mean, the other risk that some of the community members in Indiana we're talking about is they're like, they're like, we looked into this and there are a lot of models coming out of China that are much less resource intensive. So you're going to build all of these data centers out are they even going to be needed in the future as these things become more and more efficient?
Speaker 4: So even that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and then we're left with this big hulking, you know, decaying husk in our community.
Speaker 4: And what does that ultimately look like?
Speaker 2: So in any case, you know, we we would need to have massive democratic input on the resource usage, on the you know, capital expenditure, on how this is deployed, on how it is used, all on you know, how the how the fruits of this alleged productivity gains are going to be distributed. I mean, that's like the essential question in my view. But obviously we don't have any of that, which is why again I think these fights against data centers on a local basis, like that is the most likely place where you can have any sort of pushback, any sort of slow down in terms of this development, because in terms of you know, from this administration's perspective, it's just off to the races, and you know, the dystopian parts of this are becoming are increasingly here.
Speaker 4: Let's put G three up on the screen. We covered this before.
Speaker 2: There's this fight between Anthropic and the Pentagon where they're threatening to cut off Anthropic in what is being described here as an AI safeguards dispute, and the TLDR is that the Anthropic people got concerned about the way that Claude was used in the Venezuela rate. Now they have some sort of partnership with Palenteer and Claude and Anthropics products are generally more advanced in terms of government application, so they have a big contract with the Pentagon, and they're saying to the Pentagon, look, we have two red lines. Number one, we don't want Claude to be used in any sort of like autonomous killer robots, and number two, we don't want to be used for mass surveillance against American people. Now, I'm not sure why you have this tie up with Palenteer if you have these concerns, but that's where they're trying to draw a line. The other AI companies do not have such moral red lines, and I don't want to give Anthropic too much credit here. Because I think it's incredibly, incredibly naive to think that you would be able to hold the line on these things and you as individual like business owner or capitalists, are going to be able to tell the Department of War and the United States government how your technology gets deployed. Like, I think that was a very fanciful notion, but you can see how already the Pentagon's like, no, we're not going to listen to you. Not only are we not going to abide by your little, your little moral red lines against killer robots and mass surveillance, but we are going to punish any company that does work with you because you have the audacity to even try to put any sort of red line on how your technology can be deployed. So you know, there was Eric Schmidt, former CEO of Google. He was talking about a year ago saying that, you know, one of the things that all the AI CEOs were basically in agreement with is if this starts getting deployed and killer robots, they would pull the plug. But what you realize is like you don't actually have the ability to pull the plug even if you wanted to then, and already they've all abandoned that and like eh, well maybe killer Robert robots or okay, maybe it's fine, no big deal, we could work around it. But even if they did hold to their moral standards, once that technology gets out, once the Pentagon has access to it, like you're so cute to think that you're going to be the one in charge to be able to pull the plug on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always been like that. Is that once you unleash the technology, once people get normalized, so we can get open source, they can work from it, the government can use however they want. This is the big danger in all of this for defense technology. And ultimately, like maybe you know, it's never really solvable, Like once the tech exists, it will always be used for the lowest common denominator, Like there's just no really way around it. It's basically always been that way war often like blood, is that the only thing that moves the wheels of history. Let's put G four up there on the screen just to give an example here. SpaceX is now going to compete in the contest for autonomous drone technology and this is the next frontier, you know, drone swarms and competition for AI targeting and then who will build the targeting software, and there's always one company that's going to be willing to play ball and to make money. So there's really no way around this. And also there's a competitor aspect. China has been heavily invested in drones and drone swarms, and it's often been like one of the dangers you know, for some of these bigger US carriers and US Navy destroyers or US Navy, US Navy vessels, that one of the pain points that they see. And so then the US says, well, well, now we need to create our own drone technology, our own counter drone technology. This is the danger, this in this entire thing, and we know this. It will be used to some effect. They already used Claude with Venezuela. We may be going to a major war with Iran. There's going to be a ton of AI whenever it comes in.
Speaker 2: And we know how it was deployed in Gaza in Palestine and the way it is deployed, you know, also in the West Bank and a lot of ways. Gaza is the testing ground for mass surveillance. You Palenteer, Microsoft, like a bunch of these companies been caught involved in the Gaza genocide. And so that has been the testing ground. I think that helped you accelerate the incredibly dystopian place that we're in. The last thing I'll say I was Novar Media had a good, a good piece on this, and they were saying, you know, when when scientists were building the you know, we're developing nuclear weapons, like you know Oppenheimer, they were not so foolish as to think that they, as the developers and creators of this technology, we're then going to get to tell the government how it gets deployed.
Speaker 1: Well, actually Oppenheimer was foolish enough.
Speaker 4: To think that, but a lot of the well take it out.
Speaker 2: But I mean he I think he knew at the end of the day, the President of the United States is going to say how this is used, not me, right, and so he made his case. But you know, I don't think they they thought that, like, oh, we're going to get to control how this is, how and when and wherever. Now, many of them organized afterwards to try to you know, check nuclear proliferation and try to check the use and spread in advance of this technology, but there was a much clearer understanding of like, no, we're developing this for the US government, and they're going to get to have to say over what comes. And I you know, because we've lived in this like free market capitalists sort of like delusion where government just cedes control to listen too markets. I think these guys did delude themselves into thinking like we're going to get to figure out how this is deployed, and it's like it doesn't work that way. So you know, when you did your tie up with the Pentagon, and now you want to set a moral red line, and I think they did have that red line from the beginning. You know, you're a fool if you think that they're going to abide by what you want. They see themselves as in this race with China and they're going to win at all costs, at all costs.
Speaker 1: And I'm look, war with Iran. Who knows how it's going to go con spiral. It could go into this, go into that next thing. You know, these things are going to get nationalized, the Defense Production Act, your data centers and all that will be seized and be put to ford. I mean that can happen like this. You know in wartime, go read a book about World War two. Look how quickly you went from private industry to literally the War production board managing with the Ford Factory is plumbing out what you think? They're not going to do that with AI and with everything else. If things get truly existential, the laws already on the books. They have monarchical powers if they want to. You're right, this is deeply naive. All right, Thank you guys so much for watching. We appreciate it. Please support us if you can. If not, Friday show tomorrow. See you all then,