Speaker 1: Hello, My love it Ken with Randall and I am on the road again, so we're basically doing this podcast in separate areas of the nation.
Speaker 2: Wah wah, wah, not so fun. Not so fun, babe, when you're not here sitting next to me. But but I will tell you and I have to just kick it off because the excitement is overwhelming in all the podcasts and I don't know how many, so twenty something. This is by far our biggest guest in the history of our podcast, the biggest movie star we have ever had come through these doors.
Speaker 1: And I'm not a legend a legend.
Speaker 2: Tell him, baby, keep it, keep pumping it up before we tell a movie.
Speaker 1: He's an icon. He's a freaking icon. I mean, like, no matter when you were born, how old you are, you know who this dude is.
Speaker 2: The biggest, the biggest, who has more successful franchises, more over two point seven billion lifetime box office. We have none other coming on today, for give them Lalla with Randall. Who would have ever thought Sylvester Salone aka Rocky.
Speaker 3: Balboa do.
Speaker 4: It's too good?
Speaker 2: Too good?
Speaker 1: When you told me, when you told me that he committed and he was down to do the podcast, I won't lie Randall. I was like, omg, rand You're gonna have to like carry this. I'm freaking out. I'm nervous, like I only talk to Brav celebrity freaking out.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, not true, but but I know you're freaking out because you actually called me, and I'm gonna I'm gonna look at out of the bag. You called me yesterday and said, Babe, I just let you know something. When Sylve Salona is on, I'm gonna just kind of let you lead the way. First of all, I haven't led the way in this relationship in four years, so I don't know what you're talking about. But anyway, I knew you.
Speaker 1: I think you should take advantage of this moment.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you something really interesting. I was talking to I call him Sly, So I was talking to Sly because I've done movies with him. I was talking to Slide earlier today and I didn't know this, but he has never done a podcast before, so this is his first podcast ever. So I am blown away by how kind he is being to do this for us.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And can I tell you something that you probably won't care about But.
Speaker 4: I was trolling the Gram. No problem trolling, No you won't.
Speaker 1: I was trolling the Gram and I was looking at this girl's page. Her name is Brielle Beerman. She's Kim Zolciak Berman's daughter, right, Okay, Kim Zolciak is a Brava lever. She was on Housewives of Atlanta. So I'm looking at Brielle's page and she's chilling at Catch with Sistine Stallone. They're homies. So I think Fly may be a little closer to the Bravo Sam.
Speaker 2: Than he even knows, than he even knows exactly. Yes, well, let me tell you that is great tea. I've learned that word so I can own it. Producer Tim sitting here, Tim, I mean, did you ever think in our entire old age that would ever be dropping the word tea?
Speaker 5: I still haven't dropped it. It just doesn't like feel good coming out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: Tim is going to drop it soon. I have a feeling he's going to be. I mean, you guys don't need to spill the tea. You just need to sip up on, you know, my English breakfast.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just going tound the level and the funny thing is Tim's wife is English, so the only tea he knows about is drinking it at high noon or whatever.
Speaker 3: He drinks with your pinkies.
Speaker 5: Up the afternoon tea hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, I'm very excited, you know. Listen, I started working with Sly. My partner Georgia, and I started working with Sly many years ago, and it's just such an honor he is even when I walk onto the set. And I'm not going to tell him this to his face because I'm too embarrassed, but he'll hear this, I'm sure now. But every time I meet with him on a movie, discuss a script, go to his house to talk about a film, or walk onto the set and see him, it's still like, holy shit, it's Sylvester Stallone. So I'm never gonna say that and don't wrap me out, but it's pretty exciting and I'm pretty uh. I'm a little nervous now, to be honest, I've been nervous.
Speaker 1: Randall freaking not like he's a legend. And I'm not kidding, like if I fall silent, know that I'm still breathing. I'm just trying to regain my composure.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I'm with you. I'm with you, and and we'll talk about Sistine when we get Sly on the phone. One of his daughters, who is amazing and an actress and who actually he was in my first movie that I directed, Midnight in Switchcrass. So that's a really cool thing. And I'll tell Sly when we get on, I'll tell that story about when he called me. I'll never forget that because I didn't even call Sly to ask his permission to put his daughter into the movie. His age. Her agent called me then said are you open to assisting Saloon? And we're like, of course. And we looked at her tape and she auditioned, she read, and we watched the tape and we cast her and she flew out. I never had a conversation with Sly. I think I was too scared. I thought it would just be like, you know, fuck off, my daughter's not doing your movie. But but it wasn't like that. It was the opposite. And she got out there and she was a total pro. And clearly the lineage you know, lives on through her. So that's gonna be a fun thing. So I'm really pumped up. I don't even know where to go. So I'm you know, and your fans someone say I talk too much, I talk over you. So I'm gonna for three minutes, I'm gonna shut up, and I want you law to run this podcast so that I could, so I could prove that I could be quiet. Go go lock go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's we're gonna get down on into the ditty gritty Randall. You're gonna have to not be totally silent because we're gonna go there right now with how my mother thinks can we go there?
Speaker 2: Oh, we can go there, but I mean I still want to have a future mother in law.
Speaker 1: So no, I know, okay, Randall. And my mom, my mom does this thing or like she she's very giving. She you know, she she works for the Humane Society of Utah. Before that she was working with special needs. Like she's just a giver. Yeah, yes, she means Society of Utah. If you don't know where to donate your money, that's where you should give it to. And so my mom recently feels that she has the kindest heart because she volunteers things. But she's volunteering my services.
Speaker 2: Now, people don't know your mom. Your mom I will say it kindly because I need you on my corner, but your mom likes to step and volunteer you without your permission.
Speaker 1: Right, So yes, So my friend was getting married and random.
Speaker 2: And my god, you're doing that. Oh my god, real quick, I'm going to shut up, but I just you have big ball, so I'm gonna be quick. Listen, just listen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Rand and I bought these speakers. They were like one hundred bucks each. We brought to for the backyard. Right, Okay, So my friend's getting married and my mom then says like she calls me and she's like, hey, they're they're going to still get married. It was like COVID, they're going to get married, like outside, it's going to be amazing. I was thinking that you could bring your speakers, and when I told her that's not happening. I am not hauling speakers onto a freaking plane.
Speaker 4: These are not small speakers. They're huge.
Speaker 1: When I shut her down, which when I shut her down, she gets all moody, and so I was like, it's not happening, mom, and she then tells me, she goes, I'm just nicer than you are, Like, I just like to help people. I'm like, bro, No, this isn't you helping anybody. This is you volunteering me to help someone, like you bring speakers or you go to target and buy speakers.
Speaker 4: Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Ma?
Speaker 2: No, not only did no? You shut her down and I said, but don't worry, she's coming again for a second ask and then you said, Mom, it's not happening. These speakers aren't leading.
Speaker 1: No, Randall, Remember I said to you after we had the conversation, I was like, she's gonna hit me back and say I'll carry the speakers plane.
Speaker 2: And she did, Yeah she did. I mean I said to her. I made a joke when we were in Florida last week. I said, Lisa, why don't you just dig up our pool and fly it off to Texas and you could put the pool in the backyard.
Speaker 1: Dude, the woman thinks she's mother Teresa, but she's like volunteering me to like be the mother.
Speaker 5: The next time somebody asked me to like help them move, I'm gonna be like, oh, yeah, I know, my wife will go do that for you.
Speaker 3: You're a yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Tim, when your wife says no, you can tell her. I'm just nicer to you.
Speaker 2: I'm so much more generous than you.
Speaker 1: Is gonna slaughter us?
Speaker 2: No, not me, not me. I want to tell you, Lisa, I am the biggest supporter of the Man City if you tell you know that, financially and emotionally. So please go for your daughter on this one. I had nothing to do with this story.
Speaker 1: I just had to share that story because it was epic.
Speaker 2: All right, let me tell you something, great job. Your fans cannot get mad at me now for cutting you off. And I shut up for two minutes and now I'm ready to talk because I don't have a platform to talk. I am not on a TV show. I'm just Randall the movie producer.
Speaker 4: I'm so I miss you so bad.
Speaker 2: I miss you too, baby.
Speaker 3: All right, let's let's sly on this week.
Speaker 2: Let's go to break. Let's go to break, take a quick break, and we're gonna come back with Rocky Balboa.
Speaker 1: And fast infamous legend.
Speaker 3: I sound like.
Speaker 6: You know you're just like I was telling brand no matter.
Speaker 1: Who you are, when you were born, where you come from, you know liat And so I'm I'm shooting bricks the fact.
Speaker 3: That we have you on Oh well, vice versa. I'm nervous around you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, Oh that's sweet.
Speaker 3: Know you guys just whose talent here? Your show is fantastic. You know, it's not easy to do what you do, so I'm uh, I'll be as cooperative as I can.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And I got to tell you something. I you know, when we started the slide, you know, we got together Lala and I to do this and I've never been in front of the camera, and nor does anybody want to see my face in front of the camera. But anyway, this has been a lot of fun and honestly, first of all, thank you for doing this. You're obviously the biggest we've ever had. I just want to I just want to jump in real quick, and I want to tell people because I don't know if everybody knows this, but I want to get into the Rocky story, which I know a little bit about. You wrote Rocky in nineteen seventy five at age twenty nine, over the course of three days, one of the most legendary franchises that you went on to be nominated for three Oscars. You want to go to globe. You know, it's unbelievable. Can you just share kind of how it started for you to become you know who you are?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, I was a knock around actor in New York and I wasn't getting anywhere because people thought I had an affectation with my voice. It was very, very deep, and I slurred a great deal because of an accident I had during birth, which is a four step accident that sort of numbed my vocal cord. So no matter what, I sound like, I'm half underwater.
Speaker 2: So wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Inside.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I sound to me inside, I sound like you know, Daniel day Lewis or I found you know, But when it comes out, I sound like like a.
Speaker 4: Mafia pole bearer. You know what I Mean's like, what are you doing? How are you doing? I s hot?
Speaker 3: Well, you know the thing is, I finally realized that I'm never going to get cast in anything unless perhaps I sort of do it myself.
Speaker 4: I realized that jigger was up.
Speaker 3: In nineteen seventy when I couldn't even get an extra part and The Godfather, I went, I'll look, I'll be in the wedding scene. I said, I'll stand behind the cake anything. I said, wow, this is really not looking good. So that's when I started to write, and I had never written before, but I took a job as an usher at night, literally to just record.
Speaker 4: I had a little recorder, you know, a movie.
Speaker 3: Like mash and other vehicles. And I go home and I listened to the dialogue, and then I started to write new dialogue for the same movie, kind of like as an exercise. Well, anyway, years move on, nothing happens, and I go to Hollywood and I get some half baked agent and I just have an open audition. I don't even know how I got it. I think a guy named Gene Kirk whod got it for me for shot off in Winkler. And they didn't want to really see me, but I think it was a favor. Everyone was looking at their cuff lanes. I could watch and you know that thing, it's the truth. So they said, oh, you know, thanks for coming. I go thanks, and on the way out, for some reason, I said, I don't know if it matters, but I write a little bit and they go, okay, sure, well I haven't got anything, just let me know, and that's it. So wow, the door's open. But I don't have anything. And that's when I went home and formulated Rocky. Right away, I said, I need something that will late to everybody, but also it's perfect for who I am, my slurry voice, the way I look, the way I sound. And that's when I came up with this half baked idea of Rocky. And I started to borrow from other films like On the Waterfront, Mean Streets, this and that, that kind of I said, you know, that kind of vibe sort of works, and I just sat down. I started right and write and write, and about three and a half days later, I had about a ninety five page script. I'm not saying it was you know probably you know Randall, maybe twenty percent was good. But it was done.
Speaker 2: Wow, done, You did that in three days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three and a half days. That's But then again, it wasn't. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the shooting script, but it was.
Speaker 3: No, No, it wasn't. But see, I'm a big believer that, uh, I'd rather get something done and if it's a little sloppy, I can fix it. The mean thing is, while you're in that mood, while you're in that stiver, go for it and repair it later rather than Yeah, you know, some some actors are painters will spend a year on something. I'm going, how do you stay passionate for a year? You don't know? You don't. Then it becomes clinical, and then you become a sort of of you get, you start to get, You doubt yourself, you question yourself.
Speaker 4: It's this page good? Is that page good?
Speaker 3: So I'm a believer in just' just jumping head first into something and I'll fix the mistakes later. I'll get I'll get stitched up later, I'll put my arm in a cast later. But at least it's done.
Speaker 2: Right right now. What happens after after this?
Speaker 3: Because I walk in there. I walk in there and I say, here's the screenplay, and they went, not bad, not bad, not bad. We'd like to you know, we'll run with it.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 3: This is not a bad story. It's kind of derivative. But and I said, well, I want to be in and.
Speaker 2: They go, how is that really?
Speaker 3: Why don't you try comedy?
Speaker 4: Really? Like?
Speaker 3: Who knows you? And they were pretty blunt. They said, tell you the truth. You have a speech impediment.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 3: We're going to tell you right now. It's hard to understand you. So I go, he's punchy anyway, So what and they go they didn't think that was funny. So they offered a certain amount of money, and I was broke. I mean when I tell you it was you know, it's one of those things where you got a crossroad guys, and.
Speaker 4: You go, this is it.
Speaker 3: You either take a little bit of money now or you.
Speaker 4: Just go all in. Wow.
Speaker 3: So it went to twenty grand was the Writer's Guild minimum, and then I said no. They were kind of flabber astid. Anyway, cut to a long story short. They said, look, we got guys like Burt Reynolds and Ryan on the Robert Redford, Jimmy Kahn. There was that all these physical types back then. Yeah, there was a real plethora. There was an abundance of them as opposed to today. And they said, why don't you just take one hundred grand? So I went home to my wife, said one hundred grand is she like almost got.
Speaker 4: A nose bleacher cool.
Speaker 3: But that's gonna be gone and we're gonna be here, and I'm going.
Speaker 4: To be really bitter, really bitter.
Speaker 3: I just know I'm gonna be I just don't have the mentality to realize. I sold out and if the movie God Forbid became a hit, then I'm going to be useless to you, to me, to society.
Speaker 4: I just know it.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna be a shell of a man.
Speaker 2: I just want to say when things like the fact that you had the foresight or you know, to be able to see that, because ninety nine percent of the world that kind of money back then would be half a million dollars today and if you're broke, ninety nine percent of the world's taking that deal. So the fact that you believed in yourself on the long play is is unbelievable. I mean, it's such a lesson there, you know. But but okay, so now what happens.
Speaker 4: So it goes up.
Speaker 3: It goes up to two hundred and now my agent is going, seriously, we're sorry, there's a lot of money. I said, but it's not I'm telling you. I can't ever live with myself if I'm telling you. And then it went to three hundred and sixty thousand dollars. Now that that's this is now the studio is going, what is this like a game? He's not worth it, This movie isn't worth it. So they're getting very angry at the producers. Everyone hates everybody. Now so finally, finally they go, you know what we're gonna We'll do this movie. We'll pay him twenty grand. He gets nothing. He gets three hundred and sixty three hundred and sixty dollars a week before taxes, and after five days, if we don't like him, we're firing him. And they didn't even know who I was. They they go, who is Sta Loone? Can we see a picture of him? So what they did is they send over the a print of or It's a Flat Bush where I played this like two hundred and twenty pounds Greaseball. But the indeed in it was movie star handsome. His name was Perry King. He looked like Brad Pitt, clefting the chin, blue eyes, blonde hair, as waspy and big, you know, truly handsome. So they go, oh, we could do something with that guy. And then he said, okay, we'll greenlight the movie. They think I'm the blonde with the blue eyes. And then when they finally dawned on them, the thug looking out with the crooked mouth and the brown.
Speaker 4: Eyes, it was too late.
Speaker 3: Seriously, they said, okay, we'll try it for five days. If we hate him, we're canceling the movie because they didn't want to make it.
Speaker 4: They were only.
Speaker 3: Making this literally as a second billing at a drive in. This was never meant to be released. I couldn't believe it, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I remember the first day in the said, I went, god, this is it? Go for my friend. And I remember the day where I'm supposed to shake down it's it's the first scene on the docks where I go and I'm a loan shark clock and I go over to the guy, Hey, you know you owe me one hundred and fifty dollars. You can pay mister guys because I don't have it.
Speaker 4: I go take my coat. I don't want your coat. Come on, break my thumbs. Don't think it.
Speaker 3: I said, look, I won't break your thumbs.
Speaker 4: And you see that. Rocky is like really yeah.
Speaker 3: He's he can't even do anything well, and the studio went, you know this, my this is kind of interesting, you know. And that was the beginning. So I'm just a compositive errors that right now.
Speaker 2: That is that is a very humble statement. I have a question when you were done with Rocky, when did it happen like where you where it became Rocky. You know, like, when was that moment where you knew, wow, everything had changed?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah.
Speaker 3: They had a screening at mgym and made tell.
Speaker 4: Me about it.
Speaker 3: So I got there like literally as the movie ended, and I was standing there just looking at people coming up and Frank Sinatra. I went, wow, he's here, damn. And he started to go buy me. He walked past, and I remember he pulled out a camel and I'll never get in a camel lighter and I had a lighter or camels, and he started tapping the.
Speaker 4: Cigarette on the lighter.
Speaker 3: He looked up because, hey, you're the wise guy in the film. You know what, You're not going to be in anyone's rearview mirror for long. Wow, come on, you're not going to be in anyone's rearview mirror for long. And Freank Sinatra for real. And then a couple of years later I met him and I reminded him my bag. Of course, He's like, who are you at the moment and see, I said, damn, And it's just sorted happening. It was him and a couple like Diana's shore. Then another person came out, Anthony Anthony Hopkins and damn, yeah, all these people. So that's when I realized something was happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then then about a week later, they had a screen at the Writers Director's Guild and everything went wrong. No one left, no one applauded. When the movie was over, everyone left and went, holy, well this is really bad. And I went into major depression. So as I was going down the escalator, uh to leave in complete silence. I mean, it was like pitiful. So I look up and there's everyone waiting in the lobby, like these are hardcore directors, you know, and you know everyone Hollywood runs on the three ages. You know, Hollywood hates happiness. That's it, it is, Hollywood hates happiness.
Speaker 4: And you know you're you're like.
Speaker 3: Because if that guy succeeds, that means you might not. So it's a really tough, tough, tough crowd, very clinical crowd. And when they were down there and they started a flooding, and damn, I'm gonna be able to buy a house.
Speaker 4: I'm going to pay for food, I could get my GOLG back.
Speaker 3: I mean, all these things started to happen. And so it was when people ask me, like, how do you do it? I don't know, n No, it's it's just a it's just a confluence of so many different things happening that there is there's no formula, as you know, it's the things that you think will never work. If I tried to pitch Rocky today, let's say I was a nobody, that movie would never be made ever in a million years.
Speaker 2: It was time.
Speaker 3: It's a matter of timing this the country that time. I mean every film I was up against, like all the President's men, dealing with Watergate, Taxi driver, dealing with you know, nihilism and politics, Bound for Gloria again politics, and I'm going and then Rocky, the goofy guy who just wants to fall in love and be happy that it.
Speaker 2: Is a love story, I mean at its core, and the Underdogs is seeding right, I mean, if you're looking.
Speaker 4: At it's a love story.
Speaker 3: And he happens to be a boxer, and not a very good one. He's a terrible fighter, but he really And I said, like, I never put it in the screenplay, but I wanted to because I'm no great fighter. I fight great fighters, but I ain't nothing great about me except I don't want to lose.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: And that's basically how I've lived my life. I'm not a great actor, a great come on, come on, but no, I'm serious. I look at some of these actors like, god, that guy is incredible. Look at that writings. But there's another element to there's a desire to get it across the finish lines. It's just you know what I mean. Win. It may not be pretty, but I just want to make it.
Speaker 4: You know, win. I just want to win. And that's it.
Speaker 6: The heart, it's the heart behind you you do, and that's what makes you a legend.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you like this, but you know why you were you. It was just in the stars for you. You were destined to make something great and be great. And that's that's how I feel about it. So thank you for sharing.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you well for all the other outcasts out there, come don't yeah, all your little outcasts. They think that you know, you're different and you're weird, because you are. You are different and you are weird. But that's what makes that's what makes for really interesting adventures in your life because you're not.
Speaker 4: The status quo. You're the outcast.
Speaker 3: And I said, embrace your oddness. Really I'm telling you you don't want to fit in. You don't want to fit in. I love that.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I love that slide because I grew up obviously as an outcast and I I you know, as you know, I've I've trailblazed my own path. I want to say, you know, people don't realize that to have one franchise in Hollywood is a dream. I mean that that really as a producer, a director, an actor, everybody wants a single franchise. You have Rocky Rambo, expendables, uh, an escape plan. I mean, you have multiple franchises. Do you do you recognize I mean, I I know you know how hard it is to be successful, but do you even know how hard it is to have fourth I mean, nobody has that.
Speaker 1: He's like, He's like, yeah, dude, I know how hard it is.
Speaker 2: I thanks thanks for that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll tell you you've got the You know, if you can do a sequel, it's the third one. It's the third one.
Speaker 4: Is that really?
Speaker 3: That's because you've lost the element of surprise? But what early on in my career, I go, why can that television show run for ten years? And you make an interesting character? And actors go, well, that's it. I don't want to revisit that again ago, but the character is still growing and the audience really likes it. Why would you stop? And they go because it's not pure it' it's it's a money grab. I go, well, it's all those things, but it still can be really good entertainment. And the character is growing because the actor is growing, and so I earlier on I've always I've always said why. I mean, if I see Rampa like I was the eleventh choice for Ramba. Nobody wanted to do the movie. Everyone in Hollywood who had any kind of notoriety said path, including three different directors. Rambo went, this is a no brainer. This is an interesting All I have to do is change one thing. Rambo was a psychotic, and I go, you know what, let's make the world psychotic. And he just wants to like fit in as opposed to being out.
Speaker 4: That's all I want to change.
Speaker 3: I said in the In the novel, guys, he kills everyone, he's crazy, and I go, why why why if you just take that element out? And he wants to fit in whole the character, whole the story, And I would do if my body.
Speaker 4: Would hold up.
Speaker 3: I would do him. Rambo literally turns into dust, like, okay, Rambo twenty the dust.
Speaker 4: Bowl and that's it.
Speaker 3: It swirls away in a dust devil and that's the end of it.
Speaker 2: Wait so so, but but sly so. All these people passed on Rambo, which I had no idea. And again another property that you saw something that nobody else saw. I mean, that's kind of right, that's pretty epical, real quick nostalgia. I said it before we had you on. You know, it's crazy. The story of Sustine, one of your daughters, who worked on my first movie I directed, and I didn't I was telling the audience the story that I didn't call you, which normally I call you for anything story related, and her agent had called me, and I was like, of course, I'll see Sustine. I mean, the lineage is there, let's see. And I watched her tape and she crushed it. She's obviously an incredible talent. We cast her on the spot and you, I don't think new till she was in Puerto Rico filming is that we're about to leave about that.
Speaker 4: I was so shocked. That's when I called you. It's true. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought she had run away from home, I swear to you, so she doesn't want any help at all.
Speaker 4: So I was so taken in the back that she actually did.
Speaker 3: It on her own volition. Oh yeah, nice, yow.
Speaker 2: And I gave her a lot of respect props. I said to her, I said, you know, I've not She said, have you spoken to my dad? I said, I've never not spoken to her dad. No, and I said, And when she got there, she pretty much had finished or the day before, she was about to shoot. And then you called me, and I was even more shocked, and were I think we were both shocked, like you didn't know, I didn't know. We didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: And it's it really is hard for.
Speaker 3: Kids that have I guess she might say, have a step up or privileged background to feel as though they've actually done something on their own cognization, on their own watch. And thank you very much for recognizing that she she literally did it without any help from her father.
Speaker 2: No, no, hundred percent. And there were three girls up for that role, and I watched them all just on performance, and she crushed it and she was fantastic on set.
Speaker 1: She was fantastic.
Speaker 2: She took direction and and she just she's she she's obviously got it in her blood and she's gonna have a big career. So I thank you for that.
Speaker 6: Why before we leave, so, are any of your other girls into acting or is it just stem?
Speaker 3: No? Actually, uh, Scarlet has. There's something about Scarlet that is very drawn to the arts, and it's something that I kind of persuade. I say, you know, this comes with an abundance of heartache. You understand that. And this is the most insecure profession there is because the product is you. It's not a pair of shoes or a purse. When you don't get it, it's you being rejected. So the one thing, if you have to have incredibly, incredibly thick skin, it's more important than having thick hair. So if you have that, you may persevere. Sophia is very very aeradise.
Speaker 4: She likes to read.
Speaker 3: She's this and that. So they're actually doing a podcast together, Christean and Scott. They're starting I think in a day or so, and it's called are you ready?
Speaker 2: Oh my God? That's fun.
Speaker 3: Unwax. You could interpret that a lot of way, surve forwards or oneself.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Well, I can't wait to hear that. As soon as that's out, I'm sure i'll see the thank you. They're going to be great and obviously they they're going to have an easy time getting guests, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I'm going to thank you. Listen, you two guys are doing a fantastic job. I know it's not easy. Well, we know each other personally, so this this is a wonderful treat because this team out of nowhere. So it's something that you've all developed and you're you know, you are such a magnanimous and humorous it's smart man. And you is there anything you can't do here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go sly, there we go.
Speaker 3: I'm very nice, very nice.
Speaker 4: It's so serious.
Speaker 3: I mean, you asked a nice question, but you have a certain aura about your show here that I see nothing but green lights and blue skies.
Speaker 2: We are so grateful to have you. Thank you, and thanks for being a great friend and colleague and guest. I love you and I'm appreciative and we just can't say enough nice things.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, and we're going to be working together real soon as you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have an announcement soon on another movie that we're doing together, so you be all right, thanksly and everybody all right, thank you guys. Wow lah.
Speaker 4: So I mean I'm like, shook it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say something. I think that your fans will be happy because I think that's the first time I was quiet pretty much the entire episode. I mean, he by the way he deserves I mean my silence because he is just epic epic.
Speaker 1: He is he is epic and every time, you know, I've had the pleasure of being around him in more intimate settings and it's you almost have to like take you have an out of body experience, like when you go through his life, and that he wasn't given a chance. So he was like, fuck this, I'm writing my own script like he just like he did the work.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 1: There aren't very many stars like him anymore.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of waiters.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot of people who who go for it.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to second that I agree with you, and not only that, to hear that being an outcast makes you unique and special and drive success. I think a lot of us share that same kind of thing. You know, I was an outcast, you were an outcast, and I think that being an outcome cast as when you're young. We have to embrace that and say it's okay, because that means we're creating our own path in our own way, and we're not going to be a follower. And anyway, I was just look, I've known Sly a long time, and I felt like, Wow, he really gave us his heart in this interview, and I felt like he really shared with us things that he didn't have to share in vulnerability to. So if people who are wanting to get in the business or wanting to start their own business, maybe they can take away from this interview that, you know, don't be afraid and just create your own path and be honorable to that. So I am. I'm so moved right now. I'm so grateful, and I'm so thankful for having Sylvester Sloan.
Speaker 1: I also have to give you before we let everyone go back to their real life, I also have to give you a lot of credit, Rand, because you know, we have these guests on and they're very open with us and they share things that you know, I think they they otherwise wouldn't share if they didn't feel safe. And you and I have talked about this before this podcast is not too We always talk about spilling the tea, but I'm not here to break news. I'm not here to like make you feel uncomfortable, and hopefully a lot of articles are written about it. I just want people to show up and feel like they're in a safe place, and you bring guests on that you've really made incredible friendships with them so they feel safe with you. So I also give yourself some credit when when we have guests on that share like that, they also are doing that because they feel safe with you. No, and hopefully me too.
Speaker 2: No, but first of all, I appreciate that, babe, And of course, and I know that they come on because there is a trust and a long history of a relationship. But at the same time, even coming on, you know, they make a decision, and you're right, obviously, I think because of our relationship they open up more. But it is so kind to see somebody of his success sit on our podcast and say, hey, you know, this is what it was like and I wasn't secure when I didn't have anything, and blah blah blah, And honestly, I really hope our audience embraces these vulnerable, honest authentic moments that we get with our guests, because for me, everything's about you know what, let's take it back a step. Everything's about relationship.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Our podcast is built on our relationship, that's how it started, but it's also our relationships with everybody else, you know, with our friends, with our circle, with people we meet. And I just am grateful to have you and to have this podcast and a platform for us to share and bring people in that are part of our lives. And Sly was an incredible guest today and it was just perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, we are super corny today, super cheapy. I'm into it. I don't think there's going to be any comments in the comment section that say we bicker too much because we are showing mad love to each other.
Speaker 4: YEA.
Speaker 2: First of First of all, I want and I want to say something because I don't read the comments, but you've told me if anybody says bicker too much. First of all, we're in a relationship, what do you think? Second of all, I love you, babe, and you love me, and we know that, and I just had to say it out loud. But I have a question for producer Tim because he is like the movie guru, what is your takeaway from that podcast because you've been around Sly on our movies and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I was struck by how inspirational he was and just you know, making a point to speak to people with aspirations and dreams of getting into the I mean, I took his comments as much more broad than just the film industry, but you know, he did speak directly to those young people that are trying to catch a break.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you. I agree that it was much broader, and I think that no matter what business you're in, after this podcast, you should be so inspired if you're trying to you know, I don't know, if you're trying whatever, you're trying to start up a new company from scratch in your basement, like this podcast should tell you, go do it. Don't think about it, don't over obsess, don't obsess over it, just do it. And and that's the words I'm gonna take away from today. So laala any last words, because I just I'm in such a high right now.
Speaker 1: All I want to say is, we just had motherfucking Sylvester Stallone on our podcast.
Speaker 3: No big deal.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave it at that. All right, All right, go ahead, baby, take us out.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take you out by reminding you that give Them La Laauti has just relaunched, So go to give them Lala dot com for all of your La La goods, and we want to thank you so much for tuning in to the Give Them La La with Roundela podcast again and we will catch you next week.
Speaker 4: Bye boy,