Speaker 1: Fellow Ridiculous historians, we are on the high seas, and as a result, we are doing a run of classics here. Guys, remember cryptocurrency back when it was tulips.
Speaker 2: Well that's very meta, man, I'm having to parse that one out. Yeah, it's still around, but it certainly was a time where it was the beanie baby of our era. And now the beanie baby of our era is la Boo boo. So I don't even know where to start with all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yeah, yeah, Noel. Back in twenty eighteen, you and I asked each other what happened with the Dutch Republic and tulips. It's often used as a textbookcase in marketing classes the world round. But is this tulip mania truly an economic boom and bust? We're gonna find out. Mm hmm yep.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about speculative flowers on Ridiculous History.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Originally it was called the Dull Band because of it's so called resemblance to a turban, and then it was called the Tulbent in Turkey, and then it was called the Tulip in France. And then in the fifteen seventies it was called the tulbe Today we call it the tulip ben. So you're telling me it's not because it resembles tulips pairs together. Apparently, you know, all this is in the eye of the beholder, Noll. But in this case, the name comes from the resemblance to a turban. That's right, because it came from the continent of Asia, right it did. It came from Western Asia, from Turkey. And the earliest known instance of a tulip flowering in cultivation they were just growing wild beforehand, is in fifteen fifty nine a guy named Johann Heinrich Herwart grew the tulip. I don't know if you're a fan of flowers or if our super producer, Casey Pegram is a fan himself.
Speaker 2: Well, Casey Pegrim is a flower in the desert, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: A rose in the concrete, Yes, exactly exactly. So what about you, Noel are you? Would you say you're pro flower?
Speaker 2: Well I am, but I kill them so I am more of a succulent guy, because they're a little more, a little more sturdy, shall we say, aka, a little more resilient, and I don't kill them quite as often, but I still manage. I still manage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, succulents will be more hearty, for sure. I always thought one of the toughest flowers grow was the orchid. I only know one person who has a magic touch with orchids, and that's my mother. I don't know how she does it.
Speaker 2: It's cause she's made a magic bend.
Speaker 1: She's made of magic perhaps, and she would be making a mint allegedly had she gone into the tulip game at a certain point in time. Because nowadays, it's pretty easy to buy tulips. You could go to your local nursery, you can go to your local even a hardware store will have some tulips for sale often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think a dozen or so bulbs I found online for about eighteen dollars or something. And you know that's for every possible type of variety you could think of. We're talking about a time where the price of tulip bulbs just went completely bonkers, absolutely bananas.
Speaker 1: So I propose we tackled today's episode in the following way. Let's tell the story that's most familiar to everyone, and then let's after that see how much of this stacks up. You know what the fact and the fiction actually are.
Speaker 2: That's the only way to do it, ben.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. So, in the early seventeenth century, the Dutch Republic experienced what a lot of people will tell you was the first example of an economic boom and bust. Right, we know about this kind of stuff here in the US today with the housing bubble that burst in two thousand and eight. We know about this in various other points in time, but people will tell you that the Dutch Republic in the early seventeenth century, the sixteen hundreds experienced the very first recorded economic bust and it was called toulip Mania to lipmania to Lipmania. So what happens exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, it all revolves around the idea of speculation. Speculation being predicting what something will be worth in the future and placing your bets that it will be worth that or more, and then the bottom out potentially when that speculative price reaches completely disproportionate heights with the thing itself.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense, Yeah, yeah, and all of a sudden becomes overvalued or people realize it's overvalued for a series of reasons that we'll get into yes, yeah, for a series of reasons that can vary depending on the specific cases. In the case of tulips, essentially, the way you'll hear this story pitch is that people in the Dutch Republic went absolutely bonkers for tulips, began paying exorbitant rates for them, that it gripped the country and then eventually that's the sound of a bubble popping. But how do we get here? What made tulip so popular?
Speaker 2: Let it starts earlier than this fellow, but he's kind of the main dude that really introduced tulip culture into the Netherlands. His name was corlus Clusius, and he created a very very influential guard and at the University of Leiden, and that was in the late fifteen hundreds. He started this kind of tradition among horticulturists which became kind of a gentlemanly pursuit of trading, you know, clippings and seeds and all kinds of tulip related things bulbs between each other in the interest of kind of spreading this tradition around. But it was within a very small set of very particular types of learned individuals, right. But then it kind of started getting a little bit out of control, and instead of just doing trades, these folks who had the tulip bulbs started charging money for them, and then members of the merchant class, for example, who wanted to flaunt their newfound wealth. Because this was kind of a relatively new class of people that could afford the finer things in life. In this part of the country, they were experiencing boom times, they decided they wanted to get in on this craze because these flowers were very beautiful, and some of them, particular that had kind of miscolored discolorations almost they were even more desirable.
Speaker 1: They were like rare POGs or pokemon exactly, and you have to catch them all. Yes. So this this guy, Carolus Clusius, got this whole craze going around fifteen ninety three. And tulips had several strong advantages that made that set them apart from other flowers of the time. First, and we need to emphasize this, as you said earlier in nol they had these intense colors that other plants in the area just didn't have. Secondly, and perhaps even more importantly, it turns out that tulips can grow pretty well in this climate. This area the Dutch Republic doesn't have very good soil for you know, most of the country. And it turns out that tulips love what is called poor soil. So not only can you have these beautiful, striking flowers, but you can actually grow them in a successful man in a place where you know, a lot of other flowers wouldn't grow.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, though, Ben, and I didn't know this at all. Tulips take a really long time to grow. It's true. Yeah, so you can do it with seeds, but seeds. Tulips grown from seeds take like up to six or seven years to grow. And then you have I guess what would be the same as like making a clone of any other type of plant, but it's a bulb. I guess it's called an offshoot, I believe, Ben, and those only take three or four years, maybe even two years if I'm not mistaken. And that was what people wanted. And here's the thing that's also interesting about this whole story is that it kind of introduced some of the concepts surrounding futures trading, right because you're not buying a full grown tulip, because you can't uproot a full grown tulip or it will die. You have to wait until the summer. When they go dormant, they literally go back down into these bulbs, and only then can you dig them up. So people, these merchants, these aristocrats, these whomever that were just going wild for these tulips had to buy the promise of a future tulip right.
Speaker 1: They would sign contracts before a notary to buy tulips at the end of the dormant season, which was from June to roughly September, that's when you could actually pull them out of the ground. And because of this, the Dutch, who had already developed a lot of techniques of modern finance, created this durable goods futures market for tulip bulbs. And it went insane pretty quickly, you know, because you're not buying tulips today, you're buying tulips tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Now glad they pay you tuesday for a hamburger today, only the other way around.
Speaker 1: And then when you hear that other people in the market are paying increasingly extravagant prices, then you start to move with the market as well, whether you are selling, whether you are buying, whether you are just trading tulip futures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's remember too that these were not native to the Netherlands, and so they were already relatively scarce because they take so long to grow. They weren't just overflowing, right. There was a scarcity and a rare quality to them, and that is what drives that kind of gotta have them all mentality. Right, Yeah, if anyone could have them, no one would care.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, kind of like hammer Pants in the nineteen eighties. I don't know, I think we're both too young to really deliver that reference. I just remember him, see hammer So we said fifteen ninety three, this is when it starts catching on the early adopters, right, the learned fans of flowerdom and horticulture start buying up tulips. By sixteen thirty three. In some transactions, tulip bulbs actually replace currency. History Mike Dash found documentation of actual properties being sold for what he said were handfuls of tulip bulbs. And then more and more people heard the sort of friend of a friend of a friend's stories about someone who got into the market, bought and sold tulips, and now they're set for life. And by that same year, sixteen thirty three, when this stuff is really escalating, a single bulb of a tulip variety called Simper Augustus was already worth five five hundred guilders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Simper Augustus is that one with the with the stripes. It's got kind of red flame like stripes on it. And this is super interesting. It turns out that what causes that condition is actually a virus. Yes, yeah, it's correct. And no one knew how to breed them to I mean, I've known breeds not the right word to cultivate them to look like that. So they tried all kinds of crazy stuff, didn't they then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they tried. They tried a ton of very strange things. They would let's see what was one of them. They buried it in a certain type of mud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a pigeon dung i believe, or pigeon iguana or whatever you want to call it. Pigeon poop poop. There you go, that's the right word. That's the science. That's the science word. They also would even tie like a red and a white together and then bury them in the hopes that they would somehow commingle and create yea tulip b osmosis very much so. My favorite is they would sprinkle the soil with pigments that they would hope would somehow seep into the soil, and you know, there was they didn't know what they were doing, no.
Speaker 1: But they were just trying different things exactly. I think most people at the time would have made similar attempts. Those are just a few examples we know of, but we know that there were many other techniques, most of which were cartoonish failures. And this just made these failures just made the specific types of high end tulips even more appealing. Now we see the market explodeving. You would think maybe that by sixteen thirty three someone would have looked around, seen a Simper Augustus bulb and said, I don't think this is really worth five thousand, five hundred guilders. But no, the bubble kept growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we actually had situations where these deals were being made in back rooms of like inns and pubs and stuff, and it was all pretty organized. They apparently are these smoke filled rooms where people were getting their drink on and their smoke on, and they had like these pieces of wood that they would write they would essentially bid on these tulip lots, and it was like, I don't know. I saw this fantastic video series on YouTube that I was telling you about Ben that I think you had seen two on a channel called Economics Decoded. And the guy I don't see his name here, he doesn't really announce himself for lower third himself, but he does a fantastic job with illustrations and sound effects, and I really recommend checking it out. It is a three part series on tulimania, and he liked it to if when we had to go and buy a stock, if we had to literally have a conversation with a bunch of dudes in a smoky room and arrive at an agreed upon price, because we take for granted how quickly information travels these days, and how the price of things are just set, it's understood by algorithm.
Speaker 1: Or they change it in almost uniform manner.
Speaker 2: Totally uniform, Whereas this was like a series of mini markets in different parts of the country that were pretty isolated because you could only get information to another part as fast as a guy could ride there on a horse, right exactly. That's that's true. That's that's something that we can easily forget in the modern age of microsecond transactions and AI quote unquote helping people trade stocks. So the way the story goes is that this craze continues. By sixteen thirty five, you could see records of forty bulbs, just forty bulbs sold for one hundred thousand guilders or florins, and by way of comparison at that time, in the same year, one ton of butter costs around one hundred guilders, and someone who was a pretty skilled laborer, someone who practiced a trade of some sort, like a blacksmith or a ferrier or something, they might earn as much as one hundred and fifty to three hundred and fifty guilders a year. So this is a massive amount of money involved. And I really enjoy the part in the Tulipmania series on Economics Decoded where he walks us through the strange occurrence of February sixteen thirty seven. At this point, the price of a single Simper Augustus bulb that was worth five thy five hundred gilders in sixteen thirty three is easily worth ten thousand guilders. The center cannot hold. Things are going to fall apart. Right, That's not what shinua Achebe was talking about in his book, but you can see how this applies. And so according to the story, the tulip market crashes very very quickly, and people start to reneg on those contracts that they had signed. So someone would say, look, you owe me this much money for these tulips, and they would just refuse to pay. Yeah, And they got into a real sticky situation where the sellers had the tulips now at that delivery period where they'd gotten out of the ground, and there's only a limited amount of time before they are going to not be viable anymore, that they have to rebury them. But nobody's like accepting them. People are like, no, I don't want them, I'm not going to pay you. And I think small claims court got involved where they they had to essentially get the courts to help them come up with a system of you know, repayment that was agreeable by both parties and ended up being a small percentage of three percent of the price promised or where. Because again these futures and again this wasn't really exactly futures trading It was sort of like some of the same style of economics as futures trading, but future trading has protections built in that this just didn't. And this is kind of just like the wild West, and so you wouldn't pay full price and you'd get like a you would get a deal because you're taking on risk your tulip might not turn out, and you don't get to just say, oh, my tulip didn't turn out, I'm not going to pay for it. That's technically not allowed, even though that's kind of what these people were doing. But it wasn't about the tulip not turning out. It was more about the whole system kind of falling. Yeah, well, you don't pay full price, you pay a little bit less because you're soaking up some of that risk for the grower.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's an interesting step here that I want to make sure we don't miss. Because of the precipitous rise the price of tulip's, most speculators by sixteen thirty seven couldn't afford to buy even the cheapest tulips, and this is what triggered the collapse in demand. And then when the demand disappeared, the flowers quickly became worth maybe ten percent of what they had been worth the day or the week before. And this sounds funny, this sounds like some sort of Doctor Seus's parable, But the real time effect and the real life effect of this is that people encountered financial catastrophe. People's lives were ruined when the tulip trade collapsed, and as you said, with the courts getting involved, these vicious fights over debt continued for years and years and years, and thus the Tulip Boom and Bust of the Dutch Republic became one of the most well known financial cautionary tales in the Western world until about nineteen eighty when people realized that there might be bored to the story, because it turns out that the story we just related to you, ridiculous historians is primarily based on a work of a Scottish journalist named Charles McKay. In eighteen forty one, he wrote a book called Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. He sourced his story about this tulip Boom and Bust from a guy named Johann Beckman, who in seventeen ninety seven wrote a book called A History of inventions, discoveries and origins. And then Beckmann's story when we trace this back, comes from three anonymous pamphlets that were published in sixteen thirty seven, the same year Everything went to pot and they were hit pieces.
Speaker 2: Bennis slicing the air like a knife with his hand right now, because he feels very strongly about this, and I agree for a good reason, hit pieces. Indeed, because he had an axe to grind. He did not like the practice of spec at all, and neither did McKay. And even today, this idea of futures is considered a moral by many, and it's a lot of it is felt to be a type of gambling because you're making bets on things that you don't actually own.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Right, You're taking this piece of paper it says I own the idea of this thing what does not yet exist, and then you're selling it to somebody else for an inflated price based on this imaginary number that keeps getting higher and higher and higher. It's sort of like subprime mortgages, for example, where you keep betting on something and people don't fully understand you know, what the market is going to do, and then it does a thing that no one quite saw coming. And then all of a sudden, all those bets you made you got to pay them, but nobody has the money to pay them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the research was not done, and at least in the subprime mortgage crisis, there is overwhelming evidence that several people knew exactly what was happening and just decided to let it happen.
Speaker 2: Well, because you can make money. That's the thing about bubbles, right, if you ride it out at the right time, you ride that wave correctly, you can make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And we see other examples of this, Beanie babies, that's an example, POGs. I was talking off air a while back with Casey about bitcoin. Casey, do you remember Do you remember bitcoin?
Speaker 3: I do remember bitcoin? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you involved? Are you a bitcoiner? No?
Speaker 3: No, I got out of bitcoin a long time ago, So no, I don't have a stake in bitcoin anymore.
Speaker 1: But didn't you get out like a little too early?
Speaker 3: I did? Indeed, Yeah, I bought when it was like maybe like a dollar or something per bitcoin, and then at its height it was worth some crazy amount like maybe close to twenty thousand dollars a bitcoin. But I sold when it was far less than that. There's like a lot of people who have parked way too much money in bitcoin who have lost a lot over the last several months.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's really interesting. It's a really interesting kind of comparison.
Speaker 1: And they're more bitcoins on the market, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's like Ethereum, there's there's a bunch, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's there's doge coin.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, there's there's all these weird like meme coins. And there's one I was reading about called stable coin, which is literally just peg to the US dollar. So it's kind of like, what's even the point, But apparently the ideas you can kind of I don't know, longer money with it or something. So you know, oh good the world of crypto. Yeah, so so.
Speaker 1: We do see an interesting comparison there. We also know that the tulip story itself, the story of tulip mania, may have been a case of people playing telephone throughout history based on essentially works of propaganda that were anti speculative, anonymously published pamphlets, and this means that this means that we have more research ahead of us. There are some wonderful books about tulipmania. There are two that are both called tulipmania, right, and the authors of these books will assure you and assure us that the phenomenon was actually exaggerated, that contrary to what McKay says, it was not a situation wherein every single person in the nation, from paupers to royalty, were losing their minds and gouging their eyes out to buy more tulips.
Speaker 2: Because I learned something in this research is that the Dutch more or less invented the model for the modern stock exchange. So it would certainly make sense that this was something that happened in their neck of the woods. And they also, you know, were a huge trading empire, and they established New York City and all of you know, the Dutch East India Trading Company and all of that. I mean, it was definitely in their national identity.
Speaker 1: Right. Harlem is originally a town in the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: Harlem is where the infamous collapse of the market supposedly happened during that auction where nobody bid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Harlem with two eights, that's right.
Speaker 2: And another thing that I want to point out too, from that video series. We mentioned the guy in that video series points out something that I think should not be ignored is that gambling was a huge, another huge part of their public, their national consciousness. People would make bets on the craziest things.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: He points out one about a guy who bet that he could ford a river in a tiny wooden barrel or like a trough or something like that, and I believe it was Rembrandt, the famous painter, who bet on whether he'd be alive the next year or not. So, I mean, it was definitely a thing that was very popular. So it's almost like, you know, why not, let's bet on tulips. And also we haven't mentioned the fact that the plague was a big part of this, and people's life expectancy was very short. Yeah, it was kind of like, yolo, let's do this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And with these important instrumental pieces of context, we can unpack a little bit of the fact versus fiction around tulip Mania. We mentioned people did have their lives ruined financially at the time. That is true, but it may have been far fewer people than McKay would have us believe. In fact, some researchers have found fewer than half a dozen people who experienced financial trouble in that time period during the tulip boom and bust, and hear people argue that although prices had risen, money had not actually changed hands between buyers and sellers, so the profits were never realized for the sellers unless they had made other purchases on credit expecting their tulip money to come in sometime between June and September. So the collapse and prices, the argument goes, did not actually cause a ton of people to lose real tangible money, just had a series of interesting, increasingly desperate conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually really cool that we got to do this story because I just the other day was asking my girlfriend's stepdad. He's a big Scotch fan, and I was something I've always wondered. I asked him, was how is it sustainable to have these Scotches that you age for twenty thirty years or whatever and have that be viable when you need to be selling stuff selling product right away? And I think I'm explaining this right, But it was another form of futures where you have a certain elite that are investing in barrels, investing in particular lots or whatever, of the good stuff, the really long aged kind of fancy stuff that they do in smaller batches in order to finance the quicker turnaround product. And I just thought that was really interesting that this is a very similar example to that, Like, how do you take something that requires years to actually generate a tangible thing and make that a market where people are actually going to pay into it? And that's how you do It's very similar to with whiskey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wine would be another great comparison. I believe this story, while it does seem to have a cautionary aspect to it, and while it does seem to be sort of a morality tale, we know that it's been exaggerated. It hasn't been completely made up. This really did happen, And I would say that this means it still functions as a crucial lesson in these our modern days. Don't buy tulips for too much money, you know what I mean? And don't we have to be we have to be very cognizant and very self aware of group think and group panics. Something like this will come along every so often.
Speaker 2: Oh and another interesting little tidbit I picked up along the way is that what happens when you start increasing supply over years in a market that relies on scarcity right to create the actual value of the thing itself, all of a sudden it ain't so scarce anymore.
Speaker 1: And then people are like, well, well, here's another example that's tangentially related. And that's a good point in Opek recently met to reduce production of petroleum, and they did that not because they're worried about running out of reserves, but because the price globally of oil fell too low for their liking. And now, technically speaking, the US is how you measured out. The US is the world's largest producer.
Speaker 2: Interesting, right, and that's where future is really coming to play today, is with things like oil, like absolutely necessary tangible goods. Yeah, yeah, it's supposed to tulips, which are kind of like frivolous. And if if you heard that that mighty Python sketch about the loopins.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I think Gabe reminded me of that one too.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should go out on that because it's such a fun reminder of how absurd this whole story really is.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. That's a good idea. Thank you so much for tuning in. Everyone, We hope that you enjoyed this episode. We want to hear your opinions on other economic crazes and if you had fun listening, let us know in lieu of sending us tulips. Why not head over to our Facebook page Ridiculous Historians, or drop by Apple podcast and give us a rating. My fine friends, now false moves.
Speaker 3: Please, I want you to hand over all the loopins.
Speaker 1: You've got loopins?
Speaker 3: Yes, loopins?
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, what do you mean lupins? Don't try and play for time? I'm not you mean the flower loopins.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Oh, we haven't got any loopins. Not, my fine friends, I happen to know that this is the loop in. Express your tiny mind.
Speaker 3: Get out of the coach.
Speaker 1: Oh so much of the lupins. Denis mores More galloping cruits more, Dennis More, Denis More at his horse concord. He steals from the ridge packets.
Speaker 3: To the board, mister bools.
Speaker 1: I'll be back for more podcasts from iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.