Speaker 1: Celebrity.
Speaker 2: Hi, Welcome to Barron four DC's premiere Gastro Wine Pub.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Urban Vineyard.
Speaker 4: Hi, I have a reservation under Usha Vance. It's a party of two. That's me. I'm Usha.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, right this way. Your friend is already here. Follow me.
Speaker 3: Wonderful Usha, you look beautiful.
Speaker 4: Amy Fuckingchua, you bitch, come here, get in. Oh, Sid you were always me and JD's favorite professor at Yale School of Law.
Speaker 2: Oh stop it?
Speaker 3: Can I say this?
Speaker 2: You guys had such a love story and to see it playing out now in American politics, a real couple, really in love, real values.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Thank you. No. I've always said I think we represent the American dream. Me an upper middle class Indian American from San Diego and him this crazy, round faced hillbilly.
Speaker 2: Oh it's crazy because he's from the hills, dirty dirty hills.
Speaker 4: So hilly.
Speaker 3: Oh can we get your Pino?
Speaker 2: Nuwas from the Willamette value. Pino's okay for you? Oh sure, and that's you.
Speaker 3: You wanted a Pino grease or something.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I think noir is totally fine. This. Yeah, I love all colors.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: I have to ask how often do you two make love with everything that's going on right now in your careers? Now that we're out of the classroom, I can ask this.
Speaker 4: It's you know, it's crazy, just uh, you know, he just took this job with Peter Teel, which is so exciting. Peter, and I know we sent you a copy of one of the arcs of Hillbilly Elogy. Did you get it?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's at my office, but I have actually been.
Speaker 4: Because we were hoping you could maybe write a blurb. Yes, and we're having sex twice a week.
Speaker 2: By the way, oh shell us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you know, y yeah. Totally satisfying, totally missionary, and that's.
Speaker 3: What I find.
Speaker 2: It's connecting, you know, no matter if it's good or really bad, as long as you keep it up.
Speaker 4: It's about eye contact or and sometimes it's also not about eye contact.
Speaker 2: I could see him as someone who closes his eyes one eye, keeps one eye open. Oh, thank you, thank you anyway, Sorry, Usha, No, I can't wait to read the book. But if you want to summarize, just the highlights to me.
Speaker 4: Okay, So basically it's kind of his memoir.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, So it's about growing up dirt poor.
Speaker 2: The mother was obese, a right middleweight middleweight and addicted.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah, it's really tough, fair and it's an American story, yes, which I know you love.
Speaker 2: I love American stories. I am a daughter of immigrants, I amma Patriot.
Speaker 4: And then it ends with him going to Yale as patriot. I'm meeting you.
Speaker 2: That's so wonderful. Yeah, it's kind of an arc from Hill to me. Yes, yes, okay, I you know what I mean. I'm gonna read it, but I don't need I'm I'm so thrilled and excited to write a blurb.
Speaker 4: Amy count me, Amy, I knew could count on you. Cheers to the upcoming blurb.
Speaker 3: Cheers to the blurb.
Speaker 4: So how often are you are you making love with your professor husband?
Speaker 1: Who's that knocking at the door.
Speaker 4: It's all your friends, you filthy whore. Your husband's gone, and we've got books and a bottle of wine to kill.
Speaker 1: It's Hollywood, it's books, it's gossip. I'm sure it's memoirs. Martini. Celebrity Club.
Speaker 2: Read it while it's hot.
Speaker 1: Celebrity Club, tell your secrets. We won't talk celebrity books.
Speaker 2: No boys are allowed, say it loud and.
Speaker 1: Clubs spuzz me in.
Speaker 2: I brought the queer foe.
Speaker 4: Hey, best friend, how are you?
Speaker 3: I am doing really well.
Speaker 4: It's been a crazy week for us so far.
Speaker 3: It's been insane. We've been like actual like.
Speaker 2: Coworkers this week.
Speaker 4: No, because we have so many different events all around the city that we're like going together. We had meetings.
Speaker 2: We had meetings and by the way, you guys listen to Seeking Derangements.
Speaker 4: With Ben with Ben Moore, a really funny podcast. We went through all these different like kind of cultural topics and decided whether or not they were gay.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you imagine it's us commenting and riffing on the LGBTQ plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One of them was like when your shoes squeak? Is that something gay guys do right? Right? And you'll have to listen to that episode to see where we come down on that topic.
Speaker 2: Okay, After that, though, we had these insane dumplings.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, the dumplings were so good.
Speaker 3: They were so good. It was very thin dough I will say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crispy, but not too oily. No, they don't remember what it's called. Search time. Winie Zumpling is on Mott. Yeah, that's where I love this city because it's like later that day I went to a place a Stereophonic on Broadway three and a half hours long, I'm not even joking you, and it was great. It was fun. It's all about music, and it was like it's a record and it's like a seventies band. It's like the stages like it's like a recording student. It's like there's the engineer and then they're in the booth and it's a lot of like going back and forth between the booth and like you're hearing the like Mike turn on and they're fine, oh.
Speaker 2: Wait, so it's so hey, Darryl, let's try that again. Button.
Speaker 4: It's all that, Okay, the whole the whole thing is just like I'm getting a rattle on the snare and like it's really specific and like they're restarting the song like seven times and you're like, wow, I'm really like there.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is my dream actually to do what our producer kind of a boo is doing, to sit behind a board yeah and just press being like let's actually try the last song. Yeah, let's try Crying from Mothers Boo.
Speaker 4: I'd love if you did more knob fiddly and telling us to retake throughout the episode. But then this is why I love New York and it always surprises you. Because I saw Nev Campbell in line for the show that I was in.
Speaker 2: That's insane because it's like that is not a New York exciting No, like she is La.
Speaker 4: She looked amazing. She's amazing.
Speaker 2: See. Yeah, every time I'm in a pool, I do a Nev Campbell. She's so babysitter to me, like hot, she's hot babysitter because it's the brunette of it all. I think, yeah, yeah, big naturals.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think she had fake boobs seeing her? Or do you think they were?
Speaker 4: It was definitely in like a play blazer, so I really couldn't tell.
Speaker 3: You about Oh wait, what are you wearing right now?
Speaker 4: Steven?
Speaker 2: Speaking of playblazers, it was such an amazing interesting I.
Speaker 4: Was really called the iHeart Studio and I literally went hunting the food iHeart offices and found a girl's white Urban Outfitters cardigan that was on the back of her chair that was like an unmanned desk. And I really hope that she's not in the office and coming back today.
Speaker 2: No, and Stephen starts like panicked, looking at like girls chairs, being like, who can I like steal from? And this is why we have to watch out for gay men.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hyena, It's like this big window. If she walks by the booth and sees me in her urban outfitters white card again, like, it's gonna be so awkward, and she shivering, she's pounding on the window.
Speaker 2: And you're just like middle fingers.
Speaker 4: And then after a sign of Campbell, I went to this like cool speakeasy called Bar Central that's like behind an unmarked townhouse door. It's like a midtime establishment. And Karen Coulkin was there. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now he's New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's very New York.
Speaker 2: Mind you. The night before it's madness Monday night.
Speaker 4: Who did we see?
Speaker 3: Who did we see?
Speaker 4: At the same restaurant?
Speaker 2: Mother Christine Baranski, Ross Matthews on a date with his small husband, and Ross Matthews is looking small himself.
Speaker 4: Zempig down boots and then Michael Yuri.
Speaker 2: At a large dinner of friends.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I think it was a birthday because they brought over like some sort of cake. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One note about Ross Matthews, I actually think he's like pre ozempic thinned. I think he is like lap band.
Speaker 4: I saw an article about this, okay, because I was curious, and it was like Ross Matthews lost weight, not on ozempic, and I was like, because I do think that sounds like you lost them on.
Speaker 3: He's been thin for a while though in a pre ozempic way.
Speaker 4: But Osmpic's been out for like a year and a half.
Speaker 3: Now, that's what I'm saying for a while.
Speaker 2: I think he's been thin now for like time fly has band you three years?
Speaker 4: Lap band, classic, lap, classic lap. You know who hasn't had lap band surgery?
Speaker 2: My knowledge, no, he doesn't because he taught himself even as a out of shape teen you can run.
Speaker 4: But you can run, yes, And then by eighteen he was doing a three mile run in nineteen minutes, which is about like six twenty pm, which is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: You probably know who we're we're talking about. We're talking about none other childless cat Lady.
Speaker 4: The child is cat Lady himself. You know him from his epic run for vice president, which is currently ongoing.
Speaker 2: You know him from being an amazing Christian father, husband.
Speaker 4: For Marine Corps member, Ohio senator, former venture capitalist.
Speaker 3: Famous fake hillbilly.
Speaker 4: Some may say, ladies and gentlemen, we are talking about none other then J. D. Van and his Booklegy part of it.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because like this book is so.
Speaker 2: Twenty fifteen, I know, and yet here we are now and he's back in the vix.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will say, this election feels very twenty sixteen, so it's kind of like it doesn't really actually feel that off. It's like we are looping down boots.
Speaker 2: So we're bringing back the twenty fifteen of it all.
Speaker 4: It's literally the same. And like Kamala is being so Hillary and just like straight up heading for a loss.
Speaker 2: I guess my, you're always saying this, and it's like my thing about why it's so much more twenty twenty four is because Kamala is Camo and not doing wine glasses. That's the difference, Bet Camo. Kamala is brat and Camo. I don't know if you've heard of this.
Speaker 4: What's the Camo as well?
Speaker 3: We got hello her Harris Walls, real tree hats.
Speaker 4: Oh the real tree hat. Okay, sorry.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty four is Kamala doing real tree hats as opposed.
Speaker 4: To Yes, I know, they're a little bit more like self aware.
Speaker 2: And like Hillary was more like stemless glass ceiling. No.
Speaker 4: I mean, Kamala's not talking about the glass ceiling as much for sure, but she still is like running a campaign of like incredible vagueness Donald Donald, And we'll get into it. And I think there's still like basically this kind of same over confidence and like kind of coastal elite energy that's not going to be embraced by the people of Ohio.
Speaker 2: No, but we're about to get into our coastal elitism yea. And I can tell you're in your Kenny Chesney shirt. You're ready to you know what.
Speaker 4: I didn't even wear this like intentionally because like I'm just so real, I'm just so American that I throw on.
Speaker 2: It's just so funny because it's like here you are, You're trying to be country, and.
Speaker 4: Yet I wear a women's face.
Speaker 2: You know, my outfit actually today may look very coastal elite because.
Speaker 4: It's a dky vintage shirt that you got off of and I but.
Speaker 2: I'm actually wearing jeans made in fucking America from a North Carolina denim mill.
Speaker 3: So yeah, everyone just let that settle in. It's called oak.
Speaker 2: Cone Denim, oak Cone, oak Cone, and it is one of the last US denim factories.
Speaker 4: I'd love if you could get me a list of all the dnivities in the US on my desk.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like, oak Cone didn't come off it, Bill Billy Elergy, which.
Speaker 4: Is just so you're waiting for. I think what is is actually quite positive. The fact that Jade Vance is the vice posidential candidate right now is the fact that he's literally famous for writing a book. Well that will say Americans don't read, but it's like, it's very rare that we read a book on this podcast with someone who is famous for the book they wrote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, maybe, actually Kamala should have been Liz Gilbert, which would have been the answer to Hillbilly ellergy oh, someone.
Speaker 3: Famous for a book, Liz Gilbert and.
Speaker 4: Walls Gilbert Walls. That's like a landslide electoral college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just feel like she might have had more of a plan and honestly may have been more hashtag brave, hashtag wild.
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, Soilly Elergy, you remember the book came out. I mean I think, like you really see in this book, which we will talk about. Yeah, like his transformation to like pro trumpert is so cynical, and it is like, right, it's.
Speaker 2: So like Facin said, Yeah, his whole thing is like my grandparents tried to escape Appalachia to give us a better life, but actually we were just in like abandoned industrial suburban America and we all donision to her when and it's rust belt and so so it's kind of like I'll do whatever I can to become the coastal elites I resent while I can still claim being a hillbilly. Yes, when if you go on you know, Appalachia read it. They don't claim him.
Speaker 4: No, And he basically became super embraced by liberals and conservatives when this book came out as like being the Appalachia whisperer and being like mister Sage white trash right, like who knows all about like poor white people and why they would have for Trump and ever Room was just like oh so interesting, fascinating, And you know you see that in the book, the way that like coastal elites look at him as like an object of the nation when he goes to Yale and like he still is that for people, or was until he became.
Speaker 3: Like so childless cat lady.
Speaker 4: So like this pro Trump like running for Senate and you can.
Speaker 3: See it in the blurbs. There's so many blurbs.
Speaker 2: The movie was directed by like Ron Howard, like the most like Hilary Codd director. I would say, it's like Americana.
Speaker 4: We'll get into the movie and yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's lucky what this book did for like gen X to boomer liberals, it like gave them an excuse to believe what they believe that like Southerners are white trash. Yeah, and they were like, oh, but this guy is from this area, so I also can say right.
Speaker 4: And it's like the whole thing is like Cols elites look at the middle of the country with mostly disdain, and like they can pick up on the parts of this book that allow you to look at poor people with disdain, but.
Speaker 2: They can say they read the book and they're like, it's a really interesting story.
Speaker 4: Because actually I think a lot of this book is very middle of the roads. You could see this book, like most of what he says in this book coming from Bill Clinton or Michelle Obama or anyone. And it's like there's like a bootstrappiness to him, which is like, you know, basically like right center conservative, but like there's also a lot of ways you could draw conclusion from the book that are pretty like pro status and pro like let's have more government support for like these various demographics.
Speaker 2: Which is what he said his mema is basically like he was like one day she'd be like basically like a Marxist, and like the next day she'd be like the most like insane conservative. Where it's like, I mean, this book is also very just like already so made for him to be a politician because it's talking about the most random story in the most random town where he's like, and I once worked at a tile factory in Tuckaluca, Ohio, and a man it's always a man I talked to. It's like never like his friend and he's like, and this guy he took really long bathroom breaks. Yeah, and that's because our generation they do not want to work like my parents' generation.
Speaker 4: You know, because it dovetails. It's so crazy. This immigration story is focusing on Ohio, where he's from, but like the whole thing about the town in Ohio that's like has so many Haitian immigrants. Is it's like there is all this resentment from the poor working class white people who are so Hillbilies and they're so math and like they're either like so obese or like so creepily thin and wearing a big T shirt, like and they're all just being like these Haitians are taken our jobs, and like the Haitians like are like getting these like new factory jobs that are coming back.
Speaker 2: But like I gut JD's point, which I think is true. He's just like the white people don't want those jobs and they're not wing.
Speaker 4: And that's true, Like he's right about that. But it's like those are bad jobs. And this is I think we're all call out the liberal New York Times for being like these are wonderful jobs. Oh yeah, and it's like they barely pay minimum wage, like they're not this book. Also, imigrants are desperate.
Speaker 2: For like moms just learning that like maybe hold on, we shouldn't send all of our kids to like really expensive colleges and being like we need to like send them back to trade school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's the classic like middle of the world Republican things. Yeah, re election cycle to be like what about vocational.
Speaker 3: Trade, what about trade school?
Speaker 4: What about TVVC are repair?
Speaker 2: What about hvacs?
Speaker 4: Why aren't there? Why are we not opening more HVAC schools?
Speaker 3: Open the HVAC schools now.
Speaker 4: No, but obviously everyone doesn't need to be a lawyer.
Speaker 3: No, and also not everyone in Ohio.
Speaker 2: It also like allows like coastally white people to be like, oh, poor white people in Ohio, you should be like grateful to like go back to like the Tamu factory.
Speaker 4: Oh exactly. And the fact that like China is straight up now opening Tamu factories in Ohio. It's just like, girl, that's not good, like they are making us they're China now because they're just being like, oh the labors sheep here.
Speaker 2: Right, Which I did want to kind of call it how the Key misses and he loves like his childhood at like in Kentucky at the Lakes and how like Middletown like didn't do that firm and like in the movie, like he's catching a turtle and like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're swimming at a swamp and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all this like nature idealism. And then no, mention of the environmental destruction of or of all the steel factories and like cancer poisoning that's going on, and the.
Speaker 2: Life expensy of these like white working class communities is actually sixty four because they're eating Pillsbury and doing meth And it's like, well, what about all the coal that has like just families.
Speaker 4: Since conveniently loves to ignore a lot of like structural societal things that are happening in like kind of seemingly put it all on like personal responsibility. At the same time, though, as you read the book, you're like, he's basically describing a culture that's very hard to get out of, and he's saying that it's like all your fault. It's not all your fault, Like there is this schizophy.
Speaker 2: He has a side if it's not all your fault, which is like nice to hear, but then he will be which some culture criticism, which I do think is true about how like we all need big TV's and going to debt on buying big TV's.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, any mean.
Speaker 2: He has like a classic just like in nineties like punk honestly whatever, just like we all go out and use our harder money to go to the mall on Saturday and then are in debt by next Thursday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back to something you were just saying. I love that.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Like thirty times, it's just hard because it's like.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait, how do we talk about Scotch Irish immigration?
Speaker 4: No, I mean all these issues are on top of the charge. And you know what the problem is with the has campaign.
Speaker 3: We're not having this conversation.
Speaker 4: This conversation being to us to have this conversation. But I think that it's like, you know, getting back to HVAC school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get back to trade school.
Speaker 4: There's this at the very end of the book he kind of like gets into policy prescriptions a little bit and he's like, I'm basically like a conservative, but like I like moderate because he's like, I'm a modern conservative and like I think that like we shouldn't like have cps, like putting every kinto foster care and not letting them live with grandparents, and like, yeah, he's totally right, and there is like this way in which probably get totally mired into this like the legal system and they've got he says, like you've got a court date hanging over your head like a guillotine all the time.
Speaker 2: I was reading an interesting article about CPS the other day where it's like it is better for like, you know, our fucked up system and like for them to put like a child in foster care because it would be too expensive to do any more childcare classes for the actual parents.
Speaker 4: Right, But they don't let you stay with like an aunt or something. No, they put you in like foster care, and like oftentimes like evation, it's like you do have a more extended family, and it is often black and Latino and hillbilly white families who are more extended boots, whereas it's like more it's more not musical family. He's nuclear. But he has this thing where he's like, oh, like actually Europe is like better randomly, Oh.
Speaker 3: I was surprised by that because I was wondering if he was gonna mention that.
Speaker 4: He like admits that basically like Europe has like more of a legitimate meritocracy where there is more social mobility, and it's like there are reasons for that, Like it's literally about healthcare.
Speaker 3: I no, I was a little like schools, Yeah, healthcare, food.
Speaker 4: There's a really interesting book I haven't read called the Meritocracy myth that I recommend you guys pick up, but in it, the author one of its points is that it's like Europe doesn't have like Harvard's and Yales in the same way, like super elite schools that produce people like jd Vance who go on to make a gazillion dollge with Peter Thiel and then went for office like they have like a lot of mid schools, but like that overall produces like more just like happy normal like successful people for sure.
Speaker 2: Than just like the desire and just like happy I have to go to the top six.
Speaker 4: Right, like one person having this incredibly rare, rare chance to like escape poverty and go to the top school by like impressing people by being like a fascinating object.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that because I was like immigration of like white immigration, because I was like, Okay, I do feel like my dad has like had the kind of like urban jd Vance story of like, okay, son of immigrants, came from nothing, went to community college and then like talked his way into Yale. Yeah, with good grades.
Speaker 4: I mean that's so Jadvance and it's such a life, right.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I kind of like scoffed at this, But I feel like my dad was always just being like, no, they were being so like I've never met an Italian American in like nineteen seventy five, but I'm wondering if it's like, Okay, Italians.
Speaker 4: Are more just like and now you're going into the racial determinism of the advance and being like Scots Irish.
Speaker 2: I went on a deep Scotch Irish thing because I was like, Okay, it's like if I'm of Irish descent, aren't.
Speaker 4: You Scott's Irish? No is Scotts Irish something different than yeah, just Scottish and Irish.
Speaker 3: So I'm Irish Catholic.
Speaker 2: So it's like I think those people were coming from County Cork and then coming to New York City, which even if like they were poor in New York City, I think it's like they're already set up to be more like coastal Elitis and becomes like cops and firemen and stuff like that and have union jobs.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: We're like maybe a firehouse rip.
Speaker 2: Nine to eleven. You are getting like lung cancer from that, but like it's a little less like coal mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though my.
Speaker 2: Dad always says he thinks his father like did become a little mentally disabled from the factory fumes. I'm sure, but Scotch Irish is and just actually Scottish people who left Scotland to go to Ireland and were Presbyterian and are much more like Scottish like and if.
Speaker 4: They were like just want to get away from the English, Yeah, we've all been there, right and just for contacts. Like the very beginning of the book, he like, as part of his thesis that he's laying out, he goes, I may be white, but I don't identify with wasps of the Northeast, and said, identify with the millions of working class white Americans of Scott's Irish descent who have no college degree. To these folks, poverty is the family tradition. Their ancestors were day laborers in the southern slave economy, sharecroppers after that, coal miners after that, and machinists and mill workers during more recent times. Americans call them hillbillies, rednecks, or white trash. I call them neighbors, friends and family. So there's this kind of like we are this race of people who is like this.
Speaker 2: And it says They're literally known for their traits of loyalty, family pride, eagerness to fight, and self sustainability. So like dog breed discrimination, No, don't know, and it's this are you are you ready? This is not a site that's so Westminster. It's called like go Foxburg dot com. And it's all about much.
Speaker 4: Some creepytown like in the middle of Virginia. I have no idea, but.
Speaker 2: It's basically being more like, Okay, these are kind of more game of thronesy ancestral people who are being like got out of Macastle and then we're like, ooh, Appalachia looks like Scotland, let's go there.
Speaker 4: Well, And of course a lot of European bents went to places in the Americas that were similar in climate and landscaped where they were from. Of course, as we know, Scandinavians went into the Midwest Midwest where it was called Burr.
Speaker 1: Club.
Speaker 3: And I feel like j D to the whole like dog breed, like scotch Irish sing of it all.
Speaker 2: He's always like trying to prove in this book, like how he's such a like scotch Irish hillbilly who like flies off the seed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he wants you to know about his like wildly untamed masculinity constantly and how like honor matters. It's very eye for an eye, and like it's a very violent culture and everyone's like killing each other all the time, even though his.
Speaker 3: Vibe is very just like middle manager like office space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trifit, Polo, because.
Speaker 4: There's this scene in the movie where he almost beats up.
Speaker 2: This guy who's like a heroin outic that his mom is dating.
Speaker 4: And when when he's like an adult now and he's like going back to help his mom, and then he like realizes that he should and then in the book there's that scene later on in the car with this.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, I was driving in Cincinnati with Usha when somebody cut me off. I humped the guy flipped me off, and when we stopped at a red light with this guy in front of me, I unbuckled my seat belt and opened the car door. I planned to demand an apology and fight the guy if necessary, but my common sense prevailed and I shut the door before I got out of the car. Usha was delighted that I changed my mind before she yielded me to stop acting like a lunatic just happened in the past. She told me that she was proud of me for resisting my natural instinct, and he wants to make it this thing of being like, I'm this wild beast of an untamed man who's like instinct is to go fight, when I honestly think he is like probably like a pretty calm guy who has some outbursts.
Speaker 4: I get that. I don't think that he is like such like an alcoholic who beats his wife. No, like most of the other men that he talks the community that he is referencing. There is a lot of violence in this book, and if you haven't seen the movie, it's completely insane. You should see it.
Speaker 3: But it's Amy Adams.
Speaker 4: It's Amy Adams and Glenn Close, like that's really trying to get oscars.
Speaker 2: I think was this the turn when Amy Adams was like, wait, I'm gonna stop being in rom coms and I'm going to start like playing like alcoholics slash heroin.
Speaker 4: Adams already turned at that point.
Speaker 3: Okay, she'd had a sharper Objects had already come out.
Speaker 4: And the Dennis Vanov movie What's it called Arrival? I feel like that was before then too.
Speaker 2: Oh, and the fighter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was already she.
Speaker 3: Was already well on her way to be like, get the fuck out of my house.
Speaker 4: This movie come out till twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Right, we watched it on Thanksgiving COVID.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fell asleep. We fell asleep during COVID Thanksgiving. But like very early on in the book, he's selling stories, like you know, about his family. Once, when a truck driver delivered supplies to one of Uncle Pet's business, he told my old hillbilly Uncle, offload this now, you son of a bitch. Uncle Pet took the comment literally, when you say that, you're calling my dear old mother a bitch, so I'd kindly ask you speak more carefully. When the driver, nicknamed Big Red because of his size and hair color, repeated the insult, Uncle Pet did what any rational business owner would do. He pulled the man from his truck, beat him unconscious, and ran an electric saw up and down his body. Big Red merely bled to death, but was rushed to the hospital and survived. Uncle Pet never went to jail, though apparently Big Red was also an Appalachian man, and he refused to speak to the police about the incident. Of press charges he knew what it meant to insult a man's mother, Sorry, to run an electric saw up and down someone's body, How does that not results in death?
Speaker 3: Me when I couldn't get into the myth mag party.
Speaker 4: Hid with the saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes between like idolizing the like hillbilly nature and romanticizing it and then also being like, and the reason he was so violent is because he didn't go to his factory job as much as he should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that violence to me is terrifying and kind of negative in this way. And he talks about how like the grandpa is bad for like being abusive to the grandma, to Mima his famous Bema played by Glenn Clothes the movie, but like the uncle's not bad for running a chainsopp and on someone's body. And then like you know, it's like, oh, then we all killed this man who was rumored to have like molested a girl in the village, and like no one went to jail for it, and that's just hillbilly justice.
Speaker 2: Well, his other hillbilly justice thing is he's like, well, like everyone would like beat up guys that like were disrespectful to my mom when they were just dating.
Speaker 4: But then like once your family, once your.
Speaker 2: Family, and dating, like all the bulls go out drinking together and like they defend the man. It's kind of like once you're married, the husband can beat the wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's just kind of boys will be your own and blood is blood.
Speaker 2: Blood is blood. And don't you ever talk bad about your sister, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and to some extent, I do think blood is blood. I know you're my family, my family. I would defend you to the death. As Bethany Frankel recently said on TikTok, if there was a decaying body wrapped in duct tape in my backyard, I have a lot of friends who wouldn't ask any questions. That's the kind of friends you.
Speaker 3: Need, truly, no questions, no questions. I would wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maya actually asked me that the other week. She was like, what would you do if Stephen murdered someone?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Did she ask? What?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Asked that she's always we were watching obviously like a murder doll, because it's just always and it was like someone's best friend and they were being interviewed. Okay, it was nowhere, No, it was kind of we were watching something the situation. We're both kind of being like wait, like what would you do? Right, And I said, I would totally still be your friend, thank you. Yeah right, I don't think I would snitch if it was serial killer stuff.
Speaker 4: Right, if the bodies were piling up and I was being so creepy about.
Speaker 2: It it was a serial killer dog where it was so like twelve bodies, like I feel like if it was one, yeah, I would be like, I'm not snitching it was one the crazy stuff happened. Yeah, if it was going to go ahead and be like fourteen to twenty bodies across the Northeast Corridor, and you would be like, I think we'll get to that when we.
Speaker 4: Get there, thank you for giving me the grace. No, you would be so Ashton and Mila writing a letter to like support any masters.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like he's an amazing man, yeah, like asking for lenience. This is a great segue, is because I want to talk about kind of his relationship with women, where it's like he says, basically whenever he talks about the mom's a bad boyfriends or he's like, it's never that I did I didn't like.
Speaker 3: The husband or boyfriend, like it was that like he was just another one.
Speaker 4: Well, it's so funny because as I was listening to this book, my boyfriend who's from the Midwest and as a child of divorce and like moved around with his mom a lot, and like he was always referring to his almost dads. And there's one point in the book where GD was just like, you know, it wasn't that I disliked these guys. It was just the fact that I knew it wasn't gonna last. And here she was again promising me the world and saying everything was going to be better, and we move in with this new guy, and then I knew it was I was just gonna have to pick up and do it all over it again. It was the instability, and Chase was just like, wow, say that part again. Like when we were watching the movie and like there's that scene where she's like, oh no, I'm not marrying Jim. I'm marrying Ken. Marrying Ken, my boss from the Daralysis Center, And he was just like, wow, this is so my mom.
Speaker 3: The JD kid is like, wait, you broke up with Matt. She was like, obviously, I'm marrying Ken.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, Ken's house.
Speaker 4: Was of like cheek, oh yeah, it's like so mid century and like wooden and low.
Speaker 2: And like cool posters and is like like framed.
Speaker 4: Corvette poster on the wood wall. For sure, Mama. I was like, wait, Ken's got it going on. Then she leaves Ken, but yeah, so it's like that instills But I don't know if that instills such a distrust of women.
Speaker 2: I mean he.
Speaker 3: Obviously has like grown to like hate women.
Speaker 4: Oh because you think the childless cat ladies. Yeah, I feel like that's so like this just being more like I'm the new online right, just saying the word longhouse a lot, Right, he knows, because I think he's actually kind of a cuckow. Sorry, like his us. His vibe is cup with that. And he was like and very much like Tim Waltz, like he's so like I married up and like very like Dug dun cough, like like look at this, look at this gorgeous you know what I mean. He's just like I'm just happy to be here, Like that's his vibe.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he is a wife guy and he's yeah's but I think he's trying to prove himself to the like two big bearded hillbilly, right, duck Hunter guys.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's the duck hunter guys. He's trying to prove himself to I think it is.
Speaker 3: More like just creating powder guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's more just like the four chan online New Right, which is just like says that, like the Long House is all about like women, like trying to DEI you into like you know, boredom.
Speaker 3: And like, well, I mean he did literally does say in here, which I do think is true.
Speaker 2: That's what happened. He was like to quote schoolwork is for faggots, which is like.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love that part, which is kind of true. No, it is, and like that is a cultural psycho we need to break and in order for men success.
Speaker 3: Which then goes to the workplaces for women, which is also.
Speaker 4: Also true true period, And that's.
Speaker 3: That's why you're wearing like women's.
Speaker 4: I mean chicks and so that's and he's like kind of cynically, I think, like parodying that kind of threat. But at the end of the day, he's absolutely a wife guy.
Speaker 3: He's a wife guy.
Speaker 2: But I'm just like, does he actually believe his kind of abortion views or is he just doing it because he knows that's what it's gonna work.
Speaker 4: I think he's definitely like anti woke, you know, but like I think a lot of his shift towards the Trump side of the Republican Party has been like wildly cynical and opportunistic, right, and like just.
Speaker 2: To get fucking elected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Usha's like, I mean, if you work with Peter Teel, like he has this like libertarian I think like viewpoint and like you can see the kind of schizophrenic economic perspective where he's like, we need to like help mothers, but also the need to help themselves, and it's like Europe is amazing, but we shouldn't do anything that Europe is doing.
Speaker 2: Like No, and he's been like and like actually, like all these women are having like children at like sixteen by their uncles, but actually those children are beautiful.
Speaker 4: Or Trump doesn't believe what he's saying about. Yeah, And it's also not being like we're paying for your iv if it's beautiful, we're doing beautiful IV We're.
Speaker 2: Doing beautiful IVF. We're doing abortions in the third year.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I mean no, he also thinks his sister's hot.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. He wants to fuck his sister. He wants to kill his mother. This is what leads me to him being like I feel like the hatred of women.
Speaker 4: I mean, the mother does try to kill him.
Speaker 3: The mother tries to kill No, I'm saying it's.
Speaker 4: Not I'm just saying I think he's more of a wife guy, and I think he's more.
Speaker 3: Like No when the whole movie is him like cutting peppers with Usha.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're definitely like doing that, like I don't.
Speaker 2: And the end of the book is him being like I was worried, but I reminded myself that the next day I was able to go grocery shopping with Usha and then we would cook a nice meal together.
Speaker 4: Like Netflix, Netflix and Hill of the end of the book. Okay, he becomes a creationist. They don't let him listen to Eric Clapton, and this is why I'm saying, And I don't think that he legitimately believes like anything. He a lot of what he is.
Speaker 3: I don't think he does, because he listens to Black Sabbath.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he is like basically making fun of evangelicals for being insane and like the War on Christmas, because this whole part where he like converts to like creationism in his teens or his dad, and then he's just like, uh, this is weird and random. As a young teenager thinking seriously for the first time about what I believe and why I believe it, I had acute sense that the walls were closing on real Christians. There was all this talk about the War on Christmas, which as far as I could tell, consists of mainly e vasical EU activistsuing small towns for Nativity displays. All of us talk about Christians who aren't Christian enough, secular certain doctrine in our youth, art exhibits insulting our faith. Persecution by the elites made the world a scary and forum place. Take gay rights so particularly hot topic. I'll never forget the time of convince myself I was gay. Oh wait, this part's actually wait fun. I was eight or and I maybe younger, and I ssembled upon a broadcast by some fire and Brimstone preacher. But like you can see, there's like this sarcasm where he's like, these people are crazy and they're obsessed with these social issues that are actually completely relevant. The man spoke about the evils of homosexuals, how they infiltrate our society. The same time, the only thing I knew about gay men was that they preferred men to women. This described me perfectly. I disliked girls, and my best friend in the world was my old buddy Bill. Oh no, I'm going to hell. I broached this issue with Mama, confessing that I was gay, and I was worried that I would burn in hell. She said, don't be a fucking idiot. How would you know that you're gay? I explained my thought process. Mima chuckled and seemed to consider how she might explain to a boy my age. Finally, she said, jd do you want to suck dix? I was flabbergasted. Why would someone want to do that? She repeated herself, and I said, of course not. Then she said, you're not gay. I mean, if you do want to suck dicks, that would be okay. God would still love you.
Speaker 2: She's mother, She is mother, Do you want to suck dix?
Speaker 4: Mema for President? But it's like, well, there's another.
Speaker 2: Altar line in it where she's like, He's like, well, Mema is Christian, but he's like, but she never goes to church.
Speaker 3: And actually a lot of hill people don't go to church.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she just like watches like the seven hundred Club and like listens to it.
Speaker 3: Right, she being so like Tamy Fay.
Speaker 4: Okay, I do think in this because he basically admits where he's like, I don't like women, I like boys. I like men. It's like that is straight guys. Okay. I don't think he like hates hates. He hates women in a normal Strake eye way, which is like they value their friendships with men on a much deeper intellectual level than they do with women, and they mostly see women as like moms, mom's sisters, cousins, something to defend their honor or like something to fuck. But it's like it's not equal. It's not equal, and it's not on the.
Speaker 2: Like skir which is crazy even for me to be like, wait, men women are equal. Like it's like reading this book it makes like you feel so you're like, wait, no, it's nineteen seventy five. I'm wearing pants like men and women are equal.
Speaker 4: JD.
Speaker 2: Wait, the way he talks about his sisters, he's always just like she's the most amazing woman ever.
Speaker 4: I mean, the sister is the saint.
Speaker 2: And I googled her like she is hot and she's still hot, and she works for a six coaching center.
Speaker 4: Is the mom's alive.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she's been sober for ten years.
Speaker 4: She was at the R and C and she is she looks like someone who is a former addict.
Speaker 3: I think because she is like now heavier, she looks less addict.
Speaker 2: Good for her.
Speaker 4: I mean she looks so little.
Speaker 3: No, she doesn't have like that.
Speaker 2: Gaunt, big T shirt, big eyes like former meth addict. It's a little more just like big grandma with like feathered hair coals.
Speaker 4: Wait, I love the part where she she has the closeted lesbian from Tammy. She's like, the only reason your nastemy is because you want to fuck me, And.
Speaker 2: This is wet.
Speaker 3: Also, the mom has tried to kill herself. After Peapo dies.
Speaker 2: He's like, so she's yelling at me, She's yelling at me macas and then she turns to her lesbian front and he is being so like her very nice lesbian friend. Yeah he's actually okay, there's no one actually more nineties lesbian porn than jd.
Speaker 4: Oh, Like he watches lesbian porn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I feel like in this really like nineties girl on girl way, yeah you know what I mean. That's so like Polo Khakis.
Speaker 3: Poor made for men, just like two too.
Speaker 4: Hot make with long nails.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah he's being like Wow, I.
Speaker 4: Could see him being more into that now though now he's watching more like pov porn. That's like suicide girls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, like more like Cammy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's super cam girl, and like I.
Speaker 2: Feel like he was firing up of H ninety stuff if you know you ye. The other amazing like lesbian mentioned when he's talking about his crew of Yale friends and how like diverse they were, and again he is being so like politician. He's like one amazing smart African American man, one Indian man, and one extremely.
Speaker 4: Hilarious progressive lesbian.
Speaker 2: Progressive lesbian.
Speaker 4: We could all break bread together, and that's the beauty of the American dream.
Speaker 2: Okay, his marines the line he goes still to this day, I only will watch Saving Private Ryan with very close friends because I will solve.
Speaker 4: And it's like, sorry, let me guess they're male friends.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: What's the situation where not that good friends at Private Ryan?
Speaker 3: Hey man, A couple of us are going over to bills.
Speaker 4: It's like, Yo, what work events evolve? Ryan? Well maybe he means though, like it's like Christmas time watch a movie with your family, Like, oh, do you guys want to watch Saving Private Ryan?
Speaker 3: Like tonight He's like, no, nope, not tonight.
Speaker 4: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His time in the Marines, and of course God bless our troops, but he did kind of have the gayer job of the Marines.
Speaker 4: Oh I die. Okay, he's like the media consultant for the base.
Speaker 3: I'm in media Marines.
Speaker 4: That's loterally the gayest job you can get. A sign. He's even gayer than like mail room.
Speaker 2: No, because it's like you're talking about magazines and press and interviews.
Speaker 4: And he was just like and I learned how to like schedule interviews.
Speaker 2: And he was like here, I was comfortable talking in front of reporters, diplomats, presidents, soldiers.
Speaker 4: He's like, but then one time, by accident, I showed a classified plane camera that I wasn't supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Because he has this whole like you know, like where he learns to become a man, which is also just like fatherhood and like it is beautiful and like some sergeant takes him to like the car dealership to like get a car loan, and he's like, actually, you should call the Navy Federal bank to get a better day.
Speaker 4: And this is another one of his sort of paraballs about response ability but also about the value of like a network. And again this is where it's like it becomes contradictor where he's saying like I was able to do this because I had helpful people, and it's like, well, yeah, that's and.
Speaker 3: You actually literally had government help.
Speaker 4: Was literally government help. You had someone from the government telling you not to take a shitty life, and.
Speaker 2: Also joined a government bank and Navy credit union. So make it makes sense, mama. It makes sense me, mom. And he's like, we would eat so fast and like cut our hair short, and like once a marine was like, if you're not vomiting by of this run, like you're not working out, and he's like, and then we got to a RAQ and I was sent to the media room, but like I learned and he's like, and actually, we're doing super respectful stuff over there.
Speaker 4: Right, And he was like so mad at like some pipsqueak in his like Yale freshman class, who has being such a coastal elitist and was just like like slaughtering in all the army, Like people who joined the army are dumb and that's why there are such like brutes over there, like killing civilians. And he was like, that's so fucked up, and it's like, well, they definitely are killing.
Speaker 2: He was being so fucking pleasant Villa about it, being like we were just bringing candy and hard drives to children, right, and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, babe, no, babe, actually take your ass over to Wiki leaks and a couple of videos I want to show you.
Speaker 3: But like, it's very our favorite scene in elword, it's.
Speaker 4: Very Tanya and now.
Speaker 2: Watch that episode because he has.
Speaker 4: This scene where he gives an a racer to an Iraqi child and the Iraqi kid is so happy, and he was like, every day since then, I've tried to live my life like being grateful for the eraser eraser life.
Speaker 2: And he's like, here I was, I thought being a generational scotch Irish hillbilly person, not being able to get a tickle me Elmo or Abercrombie.
Speaker 4: But he was sad, whoa, here is this Iraqi kid living in a war torn country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was raceful for an eraser and he was like, I felt like a man. And then there's all these things him and after that eraser time, I took my nieces to Wendy's night, it felt like such a man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do feel like it's also a little bit just like maybe that was the first time he had like an interaction with like a child where he literally was like, oh, I'm like a grown up Boots because he was like such a little fat night who was being picked on his whole life. The casting the movie is good, I would say, I.
Speaker 3: Would say that I think that kid did.
Speaker 4: The kid did a really good job. Okay, I thought the older JD. Vans though, was a little boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just kind of had like very like acting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, can we express a little bit more?
Speaker 3: And he's a little seventh season one tree hell yeah, where he was being like.
Speaker 4: Huff, I'm generally huffing.
Speaker 3: Whereas the kid was acting up a goddamn storm.
Speaker 4: While we're on the movie. Let me just say this, one of the thing is good about the book is the way he's always like weaving and he so studies show and he's just like and this is how my story like relates to like these broader economic trends that are happening in the region. But the movie like only tries to make it be like universal. Like all they do is just show people driving cars looking out windows at like people having mattresses in their yard or like classics or like the closed down factory, and like that's all it is. They're just being like, so, you got it. It's it's the Roust Belt.
Speaker 2: It's sad, which is funny because JD actually kind of calls out that stereotype in this book, is like you get it, Like the rust Belt, we're like stoven dolls and the Blockbuster's been closed down for years and.
Speaker 4: Like he's way more economist article and Wright.
Speaker 2: And is being like, well Arkham was bought by Japanese steel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's like there weren't even any other characters like in the film. I feel like they could have figured out some other way to show what was happening in the town beyond just like people looking out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was much more I think the Ron Howard of making it like the personal Grandma Glenn Close. I mean it was just like the most like it was the most play like southern because it was cigarettes.
Speaker 4: Every like crazy scene in the book just jammed into one movie, like completely back to back, like cagarette carettes, beating screen doors, so many screen doors, slamming his only screen doors. You don't even get a chance to breathe, like ever movies, And they.
Speaker 2: Didn't even really get into where he talks about so much more of like heroin and fentanyl, where it's a little more.
Speaker 4: Just like, yeah, my mom is an addict, and then they're like she's an addict.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The art that I really love was when he moves like back to Cincinnati after Yale law and he was like, my friend was the promotions director for a local radio station, so I had an into the city's best events.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, here's the thing. I would go to school, then work, then tons of events. He was a free concerts, food festivals, and.
Speaker 4: It's being sowks.
Speaker 2: It was being so like taste of since Sinnati and like the firework exposition and like awesome free concerts.
Speaker 4: I mean that is cool, but because it's like you know about all the festivals when you know the radio.
Speaker 2: Promoter, he is also very radio promoter. His vibe is so like hey, I'm the station manager WZLX.
Speaker 4: I did like when he kind of was saying at one point in book, he was like, you can't be so people to judge and just like revitalizing a downtown and like hope that that alone is gonna be like enough bring people back. Right, Yeah, this is people didn't leave because their downtown lacked trendy cultural amenities. The trendy culture amenities left because there won't have consumers in middle time to support them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's getting that. It's not like if a Ramen place opens.
Speaker 4: The thing is like that kind of a revitalization I think can happen in like super small towns, but like a town of like forty thousand people, right, cannot be revitalized by Ramen.
Speaker 2: I asked, Ohioan I know, Oh who comes from a Kentucky background?
Speaker 4: No hillbilly Hillbilly Hilpert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what they thought of jd Vance? I'll just read it's kind of on the ground. Yeah, my family would shoot him on site.
Speaker 4: Okay, so here we have the violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad from Kentucky fucked, don't know shit, and Middletown is rough shirt. But what small city that ran on factories is doing well? Cluster mark. He acts like Ohio was the ghetto and he got out like the rappers say, made it out of the mud, and then he comes back to save Ohio. His family doesn't even fuck with him. He's too good for everyone walking the picket line, but hates unions, Ivy League fraud. I feel bad for his grandma.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was a succinct fucking takedown. Go off your person on the ground, Ye.
Speaker 2: Person on the ground.
Speaker 3: I work for the Census c.
Speaker 4: O fucking g over. Wow, I'm obsessed with that. No, And it's like, you know, he is everything that he claims to despise in this book now.
Speaker 2: And now he's a coastal.
Speaker 4: Also started this like foundation to like save Ohio from like drugs that like obviously collapse after three years and like spend all their money on overhead and executive salaries and like didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: No. Classic it's like make a massive office that I'm sure liked a Starbucks in it, yeah, and then wanted it do nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's fucking care about.
Speaker 3: Public And it does make me think I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, his mom is like clapping away for him, but like and I'm sure Mema she saw him now, like she would just be like supportive and proud.
Speaker 4: Be proud.
Speaker 3: I think she'd be.
Speaker 4: Proud to encouraged if someone sceed and was like, I spent this money a TA eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Plus and bought a calculator.
Speaker 4: Bought a calculator, and you're gonna use it, and.
Speaker 2: Like, again, Millennials, what did we even do with those?
Speaker 4: Do you kids today still like use those? I was thinking about that last night gen Z and Jen Alfer sound off in the Commons Calculators.
Speaker 2: Remember that was such a new story backpacks being really heavy because of all the textbooks in the TI eighties.
Speaker 4: That was so from our generation. It was so many news stories about backpackers.
Speaker 2: Are killing children forty fifty ll bah down.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they're still doing like printed out PDFs because that was also so school right. Well, we're one hundred years. I don't think we'll ever know, And that's fine.
Speaker 2: I know when we are just making it out of the holler, we're segment people. How does she live?
Speaker 4: What does she wear? Well? Does she okay? What does she wearar? I mean he's definitely like heathered Yale T shirt like around the house yell.
Speaker 2: But there was the whole Yale T shirt parable in the book, it's at the end and he's wearing his Yale shirt and a woman's like, oh, do you go there? And he lies and says, my girlfriend goes there because he does. I want to be a coastal elite. But at the end of the day, he does have a heather yell shirt. Yes, okay, And I think he's more drive at Polos on the weekend.
Speaker 4: Oh, in like a golf.
Speaker 2: Feet way Yeah, yeah, wick away.
Speaker 4: But I still feel like he is wanting to do a little bit of this costplay, right, So isn't he going to be.
Speaker 2: Like heathered Joe jeans from Nords from Wrath they're a little whiskered.
Speaker 4: Or like we go to Costco and get like under armor at Costco.
Speaker 2: Oh, like he's not wearing from Nike dot Com. No, I don't think he's wearing Costco pants. He's getting delivery. He's getting delivery. Yes, I think he probably does shop at like just like a DC suit store, because I feel like.
Speaker 4: Like Usha is like san Diego Brahman. She's like a rich like, so I'm like, wouldn't she just be like, we're gonna dress you nice? I feel like the suits that I'm seeing him on the kitchen store right blue yeah, well or dark but like and then like a wide purple tie in this very Republican way.
Speaker 2: I think she's probably just like they're going to the like DC boutique and just still getting like the ugliest bluest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she's like buying American and international designers online.
Speaker 2: She's having such a sweepy, droopy, beautiful like layered top yeah, and like gorgeous like silk pants.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's having like both like Ralph Lauren and Indian designers like send her things.
Speaker 2: His underwear, I feel like he does wear like wick Away underwear, Like it's not a cotton, it's a blend.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I feel like most guys are wearing blends these days. If I were running for office fall that moving around. Yeah, although I also like want there to be such a nip slip where like someone sees me my tidy whities like on the campaign trail and they're like it's so famous. Wait, how do they live?
Speaker 3: How do they live?
Speaker 2: Is he so crosses?
Speaker 4: Because he like is weaving in like random Christian stuff and he reads the Bible like when Mima's dying.
Speaker 2: I was actually I mean, I'm not shocked, but Christian is the first thing in his Twitter bio, and I thought it would be father, but.
Speaker 4: Like there you have to do to say christ Christian first Republican.
Speaker 2: He wants people to think there are crosses in there, but there are not crosses, like a fake bitch. Like I feel like they do have one of those coffee tables that's like unwieldy wood. It's like kind of restoration hardware.
Speaker 4: And yes, okay, unwieldly would that's from the holler.
Speaker 2: It's like Mima's bag hardware.
Speaker 4: It also does look like a hospice a little bit. I'm just there's this way where there's like a solitary flower, like a solitary amarillis in this way where you're like, oh, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like their bedroom is a little padded and saying asylum, like the highest bed padded.
Speaker 4: I know it's just getting on a ladder. Maybe that's part of their kink where she's like, will you help me into bed, into our bed, Like do.
Speaker 3: They have golden retrievers or is that too coastally.
Speaker 4: That's so waspy, that's not Yeah, I feel like he's probably like they actually paid like nine for the dog. But he's saying, it's like that's a mutt, like we don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's more of like an old hound dog from the Hollow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like more basset as.
Speaker 3: All the hounds.
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, the the house.
Speaker 4: What did they eat? Like that blue apron alternative the grill green fresh.
Speaker 2: And they are like side by side salmon chicken slowly, the pre done meal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, who are you in the book? I mean I'm definitely Usha.
Speaker 2: You're so Usha because you're like because I'm like this guy I met this No, no, it's actually really cool. But he was like in the Marines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's huge and like literally we were watching like the scene where he's saying syrup.
Speaker 2: Pronounced because you're always like Chase say.
Speaker 4: Like looked at me. He was like literally, She's like so and then he puts her arms run. He's so cute how you say it.
Speaker 2: He's like, she's excited again. Wait the partial to the movie when he has to drive home after like a heroin overdose eleven hours and he's like, I got eleven hours. She goes, I'm going to stay on the phone with you, and he's like, don't do that. She goes, oh, we're doing this, and like gets up and like pours water for herself.
Speaker 4: Because she's like, so Ranny a good book lately.
Speaker 2: Do they drink? Are they having a cab?
Speaker 4: I mean he's fucking hanging in with Peter Teal, who's like doing lie of twink blood blood drinks.
Speaker 3: He's like, Peter, do you have any of that twink blood shuice?
Speaker 2: Was? Yeah, I think they have like a wine collection, like full of expensive Josh's.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're not Josh.
Speaker 2: It's like they're Joshuas And he's probably like gifted by other like Republican politicians like barreled age Bourbon.
Speaker 3: But I don't think he's like drinking.
Speaker 4: That a lot. I don't think he's drinking that a lot. But I think one poor.
Speaker 3: Mam mama, who am I in the book?
Speaker 2: I mean, I would like to just be mema like those beaver magazines.
Speaker 4: Are man beaver hunts. She's like, I don't want to get in a car accident and die with all these beaver hunts in my people die.
Speaker 3: I think I'm a lesbian, a nasty lesbian at that.
Speaker 4: And they like confiscate this porn from fantasy.
Speaker 2: She's like, I die, I'm.
Speaker 4: Hunting for pedophile with guns. Yeah. I would love for you to take on more of a mema roll in your community as well, smoking and like yelling at all children but like forcing them to like do their schoolwork and like do chores. Yeah, but I think that.
Speaker 3: Will become kind of a governing.
Speaker 2: Says You're not quite there, no, but I'll.
Speaker 3: Agent to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm also just like at Ohio State being like, you like Cracker Barrel, Yes, that's your favorite restaurant. Okay, I go there ironically.
Speaker 4: Because that's the thing you're not at. Y know, you're at Ohio State, but you're still about Middletown and be like ew.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm actually from a pretty like hippie fan.
Speaker 4: And then when he tells you he's from there, like, oh wait, do you know any good dive bars in the haller, I'm like, wait, can you take me thrifting on the on a FOODI adventure in your poor hometown?
Speaker 3: I heard they have like these iconic biscuits.
Speaker 2: Take me there?
Speaker 4: Hey, I mean look, I mean I was like pretty brimaged. Did Yeah, I do like that he is weaving in you know, economic historical story starts into his own story. Like it's a pretty good format for a book. I think there's a reason it was like No, I was like, I can see.
Speaker 2: Why this became a Netflix film. Obviously it's full of fucking lies.
Speaker 4: And not to be so coastal elitist and say like, this book is like a helpful primer on like the curious quirks of like a freaky white poor people who you disdain, but it is a really interesting primer. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know that I was a greeting and I was like, uh, like I see myself liking this just so I can like read about the holler. Yeah, helloa, I'll give this like three close down malls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm giving this like three point nine like neighbors who've been against of pedophilia that you will fight. Yeah, unless you're my brother, in which case I will hydro pedophilia from the world for as long as I can. Anyway, Thank you. JP had good luck out there.
Speaker 2: Good luck with the election and everything.
Speaker 4: Stay weird, Stay weird, Usha Queen, our producer is a nasty little bitch. Her name's Darby masters. I don't trust her as far as I can throw her. However, she's my sister, so I'll defend her to the death.
Speaker 2: My mama had many boyfriends, and a Buzafar was one of them, and I remember this one Christmas. He came home and he gave me a game Boy. So I liked him, and he up and left. Maybe that was Mama's fun, maybe it was mine. Maybe I didn't play with game Boy enough. Down in the Holler, I never thought I would have an executive producer. But when I moved to Ohio, I met a woman. She was named Christina Everett. She executive produced this.
Speaker 4: Our theme music was done by a queer little boy from down the street named Stephen Phillips. Horse. I always looked at popow funny, probably wanted to stuck his dick, nasty little kid. However, God loves them just the same, and he's welcomed by my house for Thanksgiving any day of the week.
Speaker 2: Making a sucking dix art, let's talk about it, Okay, Look, I would just hang up some nice beautiful things. We got paintings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and savory with paintings of our beautiful hills and fields. But there's a guy who's a little more alternative. I went to Miami with my church and there was this fair going on. It was called Art Fuzzle, and there was a lot of sexy women, and Lord was tempting me. Lord anyway, I saw an art piece there by a man named Teddy Planks, and I said, look, all, barter subourbon for this piece of podcast artwork.
Speaker 4: My previous marriage ended in divorce. That marriage was located in Dumbo with a man named Prologue project, a man named Prologue. Hey, you like that, that's the coast for you. But we have settled all of our debts and we are in good standing with one another. And he is also welcome.
Speaker 2: He is still the father of three of my children.
Speaker 4: Christmas dinner in any day of the week, and he is family.
Speaker 2: I'd never liked to ask for anything in this world.
Speaker 4: That cigarettes are really expensive these days.
Speaker 2: And my mom her left choe is it's blowing up. Okay, it's infected, biggest China. Okay, anyway, So if you can sign up for our patroons patron dot com, so see me to the pod. I don't like to ask for anything, but I've been working home my whole life.
Speaker 4: We just needed a little help, Amen,