Speaker 1: I'm a homegrowl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren can't even hot.
Speaker 1: This is the latest with Laura l Rosa. I am Laura l Rosa. This is episode four. I love even numbers. I think even numbers.
Speaker 2: They just feel whole. They feel like completion, you know, just full and like good.
Speaker 1: And you guys will notice, for you know, when the video comes out again. The video always rolls out forty eight hours after you listen to this episode on Laura the Rosa TV audio is right here, so stay locked. Make sure you're subscribing it downloading the podcast. So today was like such a day, but I'm excited. I just got an alert. Charlomagne sent us something that I was like, what this is so lit? So on Apple Podcasts and everybody's like, where do I find a podcast? Where do I find a podcast? Apple podcast is an app that comes on your iPhone. I don't know about androids, but on iPhone you have the podcast app. It's there, it's free. Just open it and search the ladies with Lorna the Roses. What I keep telling people, but on that app, we made a list today.
Speaker 2: Yay do ah, I ain't girlways trying.
Speaker 1: Now I see how like the rap girls feel when you get like something on the Billboard chart, like you know what I mean, Top fifteen, top twenty, top ten, top two. So right now, I'm ranked number fourteen on Apple Podcasts Society and Culture List podcast list, and this is a list that like ranks. You know, the podcasts are making some noise when it comes to society and culture. I'm number fourteen. I was number fifteen. Actually when he posted it on his Instagram. I was at BT and I picked up my phone. I was like, oh shoot, this is so lit, and then I went to go see it myself because I want to post it, and I was number fourteen, so I moved up one slot already, you know, the girl is outside, and then I'll start scrolling and looking and I'm looking at like who else is on the list, Like who are my peers, y'all? When I tell y'all almost died, Oprah was on the list, y'all, Like this is insane. So thank you guys so much for being here, for downloading the podcast. Please continue to tell your friends about it, because I want everybody to know that if you're looking for a great morning drive, you know what I mean, like just bite size good information. It's right here baby, period. But right now we're taking y'all to court. So the first thing I wanted to talk about was Drake. You guys know that Drake has been going back and forth with Universal Music Group over the song not Like Us, even though he's positioning it and claiming that it's not specifically about the song, that it's more so about the fact that his label did not protect him and that they allowed another artist on the label speaking of Kendrick Lamar to drop out like Us, which Drake and team say is a very defamatory song. It's dangerous and there's no way that this should have been supported. So now he is suing. Okay, the lawsuit, there's been a lot of back and forth, but more recently, the Universal Music Group side of things said, you know what, judge, this all is bs, Drake don't really he doesn't honestly think that we did half of the stuff that he's claiming. He's claiming that they work with bots to make not Like Us a bigger song than it was. He's claiming that they, you know, paid third party bloggers to talk about it that they paid radio like just a ton of different things right that he has claimed over some time. He's claiming everything, but the song is a bop and baby.
Speaker 2: The song is a bop. Okay, he's claiming everything, but what the truth is for real? For real? What Drake did was kind of a smart business play.
Speaker 1: He filed a motion basically asking to be able to discover, like to look inside of universal music groups, you know, all of their internal things and figure out if what he thinks is happening is really happening, or at least enough to get enough evidence to then go back to a judge and say, hey, here's what we have and never moving forward with a lawsuit. A lot of times and defamation people will tell you, like, defamation is one of the hardest things to prove because not only do you have to prove that the person in their attent was the ffamminatory and that they meant to harm you to make it where you can't get money, to make it where you can be harmed about what they're saying or what they're throwing on you, but also too, you have to really be able to prove loss, like really be able to prove it almost been like, you really have to be able to prove this. So a lot of times people go right in with the lawsuit, and normally that's because they have the evidence, they understand, you know, where they're standing legally and what they're going to lean in on. And what Drake did was, you know, he's like, Okay, here's what I think is happening. Here's my long laundry list of things that I think is happening. But I want to go in and do I want to poke around a little bit because I need to figure out, like if I'm shooting, who's my target? Who's my target? I thought that was actually pretty smart. I also thought that this was smart too, because if I'm Drake, and you know, the conversation around us was that Drake, you know, was negotiating, you know, renegotiating with the label and trying to do all these things. If I'm doing that and I feel like my label isn't you know what I mean, giving me full transparency on some stuff the best way to get transparency about the stuff that I want, but also about me and how I impactful I am at this label in my numbers and all of that stuff is to see what you're doing across the room, to try and control my situation, to back me into a corner. And in discovery you get all of that. And there was a conversation that had come up in these legal filings about what Drake was actually requesting. You know, it's like emails and phone logs and all that stuff. But also more recently, some of the things that he had been his team, his legal team had been requesting was legal documents including uh, you know, legal documents and agreements and things contracts in relation to Kendrick Lamar. Now, there was a pre trial conference that happened and Judge Janette vargas Is actually ruled that Universal Music Groups request to stay the Discovery. So basically they were like, hold up, wait, Discovery, why we gotta do all that. It's gonna cost us money, it's gonna cost us time. It makes no sense, Like we're a huge corporation. Why do we have to do all of this?
Speaker 2: Makes it?
Speaker 1: Their whole thing is is Drake's really upset because he lost a rat battle.
Speaker 2: And as a label, that is not our fault.
Speaker 1: We do our jobs, we promote our audists, we do what we do but just because you lost and you're upset, We're sorry, Prima Donna. There's nothing we could do about that. But today Drake actually made some pretty good leeway today a judge said, and oh yeah, and I want to mention Universal Music Group did act for this, like when they said all that, they said, okay, And because of all that, we want this motion to be dismissed. We don't even want to have to deal with the case at all. And that is still going to be a dressed in corporate we'll get there. But back to what happened today. So today a judge said, I'm gonna deny Universal Music Groups requests the state of discovery process and allowed Drake to proceed with requesting access to documents, including Kendrick Lamar's contracts with the label.
Speaker 2: This is a huge win.
Speaker 1: For Drake because if what Drake is claiming, you know what I mean, like all of these allegations he's been throwing, if there's anything to it that he can find, I don't know. I mean I think that being able to go on the inside and see conversations and things like that, that's the that's the best way to prove it. Now, will say that one of the reporters that was in the courtroom. It's a Twitter account that I follow. It is called Inner City Press. They actually reported that Drake's team had, you know, had a back and forth with UMG and that Drake's team decided that they were going to no longer move forward with the accusation that UMG paid bots like these random bots to like, you know, hyping up the song online and any different places. And they said that they did that because that was just very incremental in their lawsuit. I think their biggest thing that they're focusing on or is what was said using the word pedophile on these big stages and then Universal putting money behind allegedly according to Drake, putting money behind you know, all of this, like all of this, Okay, let's let's back big bag Drake down into a corner and use our big, powerful machine to do it.
Speaker 2: That's what they want to focus on now.
Speaker 1: I thought that that was interesting because normally when you have a case like this where there are multiple different claims or even if it's like so this is civil, right, but even if it's criminal, if I'm an attorney for the prosecutor, right, So that's the side that's trying to get you like I'm trying to sit you down. If I'm a prosecutor, I'm not bringing up charges that I don't think can sustain. I'm not gonna waste my time because if a jury or whoever sees you know that I'm a llegend certain things and I want certain charges and they don't stick. It starts making everything seem everything else seems a little muddy. I thought that this was interesting for them to back up off of the bot thing, and they made it seem very small and very incremental, but to me, it wasn't. To me, it said to me that I don't know if Drake's team really had enough or thought that they would have enough, or thought that it was strong enough to be able to move forward with this whole bod thing. So them backing away from that, I thought was like a little telltale sign of like, Okay, so here's what they think is strong and that they can prove, and here's what they're like. M that was cute, and we mentioned it, and maybe it is a thing, but we're not wasting our time over there.
Speaker 2: Now. What I think that this means is I think that.
Speaker 1: This means that the judge is looking at this from a perspective of like, what could it hurt if I allow it now? I don't care you know how much money, how much time it'll cost you. If we can do this now and he can find what he's looking for or not, we don't even got to do all the other stuff. We literally can iron it out. Maybe a subtle maent can happen, whatever the case may. That's how I think a judge's looking at it now. If I'm a universal music group, I'm sure that they're going to stand on we have nothing to hide. But I think it just gets a little tricky when people are going into like contract negotiations and emails and phone conversations, because you got to think about how big a record label is, right.
Speaker 2: You can't if I'm the.
Speaker 1: Head of a record label, I can't guarantee that every single employee in my record label is doing what they supposed to be doing by the book, how they supposed to be doing it. A lot of times because there's a lot of people involved, there's a lot of artists, there's a lot of money being you know what I mean, moved around, and you know, songs dropping. You're just doing your job to get your job done for the overall accomplishment. And if I'm exact at universal, I can't. I don't even had a time to worry about certain day to day things. I just gotta look at the high level, and the high level of this is it's like, Okay, the song is charting, Okay, the song is moving on.
Speaker 2: TikTok, how we got there.
Speaker 1: I'm just giving, I'm in good faith believing that my you know what I mean, my employees are doing what they need to do. One misstep here, right, you have thirty employees, if about three of them, maybe even five, texting the wrong way about some things, exchanging money in the way that they might even not have known was not cool to do to get things placed, or whatever the case may be, in the vein of just trying to get the job done, even if it was innocent. Do y'all know how that will look in Drake's favor? Now, I ain't gonna hold y'all. I don't think that this is going. I don't think this is going like you know what I mean, get him out of the not like us territory of like Okay, now, some people look at you different.
Speaker 2: I really don't think that it will.
Speaker 1: I know that people are trying to make it like, Okay, he's a martyr, he's sticking up for people that are behind these labels and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But like, at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Day, Drake is still going to be Drake. No, Kia is going crazy right now, give me a hug. It's going crazy right now. Drake will always be able to Drake if he loses this hole back and forth and there's nothing found, and you know what I mean, he just has to let it go. It makes him look like a cry baby if this goes nowhere, because it's like, yoll you did all of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is how I feel, y'all. Let me know how y'all feel.
Speaker 1: Tweet me at Lauren the Roads that instag at Laura la Rosa young thug. Y'all, remember on the last episode we talked about Young Scooter. We talked about that nine one one call, and there's a lot of things that were happening with Young Scooter, who was the rapper that passed away in Atlanta while fleeing from police. Now there was a whole nother issue happening at the same time. With Young Scooter because Young Thug got on Twitter. He tweeted that Young Scooter autops he had came out and that he was shot. Young Thug also tweeted out a woman who works in the DA's office and said that basically she was like the biggest liar in the DA's office and.
Speaker 2: This must I think.
Speaker 1: I think Young Thug's whole point was like, there's some corruption here, but the way he went about it is not faring well for him. He did end up having to delete the tweet, especially because the Faulton County Medical Examiner's Office came out and again stood on business with what their autops he really was, stating that rapper Young Scooter passed away because of a leg injury while trying.
Speaker 2: To get away from police.
Speaker 1: But now prosecutors with the Fulton County District Attorney's Office, they're like not happy about Young Thug's postings. They filed a motion to actually revoke his probation. Now here's what they say in the document. They say, since sentencing, the defendant has engaged in conduct that threatens the safety of witnesses and prosecutors, compromises ongoing legal proceedings, and warrants immediate revoking of his probation. The motion continues to say that the integrity of this court and the safety of those involved in the prosecution are at stake. So you guys know that he because he was going through himself with you know, the DA's offices and all that. If I were stuff, I wouldn't be tweeting a dang thing. I'll put it in a group chat. You're not gonna get me publicly speaking at all. Nothing that goes against some court, no judge. If y'all have not learned anything at this point from watching all these cases or anything you might be involved in yourself, the court is all about like empathy and respect for the court. But baby, they don't play. They don't farewell with disrespect at all, Like not at all. What they're referring to in this when they say that, you know, the prosecutors and people that were put at stake is a tweet I want to read you guys, actual tweet from the He posted a photo of the woman. Her name is Marissa Vera Rito. So this woman this week because you know, it's so much going on in the court, so at this same week, there's the whole court process happening for the seven men who were arrested in Atlanta. And apparently these men you know, allegedly were somewhat tied to four PF and they remember there have been those reports of this whole like arrest warrant that was supposed to come down for a little baby. I am told that that is still coming. I am not told that that is not something that is not going to happen. And I did see reports this week of you know what I've already known. But she took the stand as a part of a preliminary hearing to determine if the seven men that were charged in the shooting depths of those two thirteen year old oo and Atlanta will go to trial or not. So at the time that this is happening, Thug posts her photo and says that she is the biggest liar in the DA office. And after that happened, apparently she received like threats online her address, her you know, her personal contact information was leaked. Family members personal contact information was leaked. Like it put her in harm's way, is what the you know what I mean? The Prosecutor's office is basically saying, So now Thug gets online and he tweets in response basically saying that he doesn't conte condone threats toward anyone, He's a good person.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why thug tweeted this lady out, Like I think a lot of us are still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's like why, Like I wouldn't when I said I would want nothing to do with nothing.
Speaker 1: Honestly, take his whole account, Maria, Scientists, please take this man's account if you want your me and your man, your man homegirl, de actiate that Twitter because it's just causing too much.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if something like this will actually cause for a judge be like, you know what, yup, probation revoked because he's obviously been keeping up on all of the other things. But what they're gonna claim is that one of the things, you can't bring harm and danger to people, especially not somebody in the DA's office you on probation.
Speaker 2: That's that.
Speaker 1: But I hope you guys have enjoyed this episode. This is episode four of the Latest with Lauren de Rosa. Please share talk about this online tele a friend to tell a friend. Y'all know, I'm the homegirl that knows a little bit about everything in everybody, and at the end of the day, I always tell you guys this because I appreciate it so much. There are so many places and so many people that you guys could be listening to. There's so much going on, and you're always right here with me to do it. I love y'all for that. I'm signing out. I will see you guys in my next episode.