Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jet and Gee arms rang Strong.
Speaker 3: Happy Independence Day everyone, It's the fourth of July and it's the A and G replay featuring bits and pieces of our podcast, Armstrong and Geddy.
Speaker 4: One More Thing.
Speaker 3: Get every episode on the iHeart app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: One Footman, Brake, It's one more Thing.
Speaker 3: I understand you're going to interview me on the topic of my milestone birthday, just so I can get from Do you have a style in mind? Are you gonna be like Scott Pelly, slow talking and making me repeat everything? You're gonna make me cry like Ellen DeGeneres. Do you have more of Charlie Rose approach in mind?
Speaker 2: Katie?
Speaker 5: Joe and I were working together. Joe and I have basically the same birthday. My birthdays in ten days, and I'm turning the same age, so we are in the same reflective age situation of turning sixty. His birthday is today. Joe and I were working together when we turned thirty, when we turned forty, when we turned fifty, and now when we turn sixty, that doesn't seem possible.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, but it really doesn't seem possible.
Speaker 2: No, that's particularly given the hatred of each other that we share.
Speaker 5: Just from a time standpoint, the one thing you can't you can't. This is gonna be one of the things I want to ask you about. Okay, well, I'll just ask you instead of giving an answer first. That would be a dumb wait to interview.
Speaker 3: Innovative got a couple of questions. Okay, what does sixty feel like compared to what you thought it would feel like when you were thirty, emotionally, physically, whatever. Well, that that question assumes that I remember what I thought.
Speaker 2: When I was thirty or any point when you're no, I see your point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think fairly similar. Uh. I was never never particularly afraid of aging. I've never been particular and particularly enthusiastic about the idea either.
Speaker 5: It would be enthusiastic about aging past like twenty one, who would be enthusiastic about aging?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I think.
Speaker 3: One of the formative aspects of my life is that I've always been a golf freak, and even when I was thirty five, I played golf with guys who are seventy who were having fun and good players, and we'd have a couple of drinks afterward and a hoot, and so I saw. I don't know if you'd call them role models exactly, but I didn't fear that.
Speaker 5: You have a thought, Katie before I jump in, Oh no, go ahead, I'm listening. I'm the exact opposite. I've always assumed, like when I was in my twenties, I assumed there's no way anybody over the age of thirty was having fun. And uh, and I felt that way by my whole life. I thought, there's no way you're having fun in your forties. Fifty year olds aren't having fun. Certainly nobody's gonna have fun in their sixties. And if they're like smiling and laughing, like you say, you see people they just don't remember what fun was. This is as good as it gets for them, but they're not actually having fun. If there's one thing I could tell younger me, well, maybe that's the question I want to ask. If you could tell thirty year old you, forty year old you, whatever, twenty five year old something, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Okay, you know me, I quibble about every question you do? Does this like include do you tell yourself? Don't quibble so much it's a waste. It could be so quibblesome people.
Speaker 2: Don't like it. Wisdom or.
Speaker 3: I'll just stick with wisdom for now because I will the reason I asked that question, and I can picture it so vividly. It's causing giant emotional changes in my brain right now. It was around in Gladys Doon't Bother nineteen ninety eight to two thousand, two thousand and one, when the talk show had just started because we realized we had no future in music radio. We were doing a talk show between the records, and it was stupid, but we'd started at our now home station in Sacramento, Toxics fifty KST and of the forty five rated radio stations in Sacramento, it was forty fifth when we took over the morning show, and it was taking longer than we had hoped to really grow it, just because the mathematics of it.
Speaker 2: Lord knows, we had no marketing at that time.
Speaker 5: I don't have you every very honest or a show, Katie with no listeners, but I have you can say to your listeners, tell your friends to tune in.
Speaker 2: But they got no friends. They aren't listening. There's nobody to tell anybody. I feel, that's my soul. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And we had taken a fifty percent cut and pay to get started in talk radio. And I had three little kids, including a baby, and I was so stressed and so concerned that I was not going to be successful in the one field I had chosen. And you know this is not some sort of dumb, humble brag, but I was one of those kids who people would say, he has so much potential, Oh, you could do this, or you could do that. And here I was going to be a dead ender who couldn't support his family. Miserable amounts of stress.
Speaker 2: Oh. I dealt with it the best I could.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, if I could just whisper in my young ear, it's can work out, okay that Oh my god? Yeah, you know I'm gonna blove her. That would have been enormously helpful. But wisdom wise, stay out of the sun. Yeah, oh my god, yeah, yeah, hey the sunscreen thing.
Speaker 2: Take that seriously. Dip show videos of uh.
Speaker 3: I'd show videos to myself look at this, and young me would say, what is that device you're holding, I'd say it's a cell phone.
Speaker 2: Do't worry about it anyway.
Speaker 3: Watch this video of a dermatologist cutting a chunk out of you.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'd say, what's what's your point?
Speaker 3: Why are you doing this? I'd say, be careful with the sun. Anyway, it would probably be you know, probably be parenting advice. You know you never get. You'll never regret being patient. If you got to bring the hammer down, you can bring it down in an hour. Take a while, calm down and think about what's the smart thing to do. Probably because I was very young parent by modern.
Speaker 5: Standards, if you're an older parent like me, your tea is so low you can't really get worked up about anything.
Speaker 3: Right, don't let me take off my supplort hose and hitch you with them, son, And you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know if they decided to run off, I couldn't catch them. So yeah, you come back here if you'd like.
Speaker 5: Eh, the old the whole perspective on time thing, the way it changes when you get older, it's just impossible. There's no point in trying to explain it to somebody who's younger. Nobody could have I'm sure somebody tried to explain it to me. I was like, whatever, old man.
Speaker 3: Well, and you can believe it, but you can't relate to it. The idea that no five years goes by in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 4: You have to live that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 5: I know my kids in this they've got a particular reason to feel like this because I was an older parent, so when I was a kid was a really long time. You know, if you have kids in your twenties like you, you're only talking about a twenty year gap in now and when you were a kid. For me, it's you know, nearly a forty year gap or whatever it is. Yes, so they can they really have good ammunition for what you know about what high school is like is completely irrelevant to me, but it's not. I look around their high school, I see the stuff. It's the same thing, really, just you know, clothes are actually exactly the same. They're wearing the same clothes, same hairstyles as when I was in high school. But so much of it is the same. But you can't convince young people that you have like really any understanding of their what they're going through.
Speaker 3: And between most of my child raising in yours was the giant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like the ADBC dividing line of smartphones. Yeah, and how that's changed everything.
Speaker 5: But the you know, but the so wanting to have a girlfriend and being nervous about asking them, just all that sort of stuff is just Yeah, it doesn't seem any different.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 5: But I just remember hearing years ago we did a big show and we turned forty, which is freaking twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that.
Speaker 5: But anyway, we did a big show when we turned forty, and I remember hearing somebody say something about I think it was ancient wisdom, but just.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 5: You can tell people you know how this is going to turn out, or what your experience is shown, They're still going to do it their way and find out for themselves. It's just it just seems and that seems to be way more true than not true. There's some exceptions, but it's way more true than not true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's very little of the.
Speaker 3: Wisdom and conventional wisdom about conventional thinking about aging and what you're going to go through that has not been true. But you do have to confront it on your own and deal with it on your own and it's it's it's fine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's just to backtrack for one second. Joe, by standards, did you have older, younger parents.
Speaker 3: At the time, very typical. My mom was twenty four, so twenty three or twenty four when she had my sister than me a year later, and then in her early thirties when she had her last kid.
Speaker 5: My little brother now was practically everybody back in the day so young ish.
Speaker 6: Because I was thinking about your outlook on life and not really being worried about aging, and I was thinking, my parents are older her standards about same with Jack and his kids, almost forty years, and I think that kind of made it so I do I'm not really worried about aging because I'm seeing them in their older years and they're having a blast and everything's good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: Maybe I was wondering if that contributed, But you had young parents, would have to.
Speaker 5: Would be like similar to your story about being around golfers. But if you're around your parents and you see them in their sixties or seventies and doing stuff, right, I have to think I would think yeah.
Speaker 3: And oh god, I was just going to say in a weird way. When I was having those excruciating back problems. And I'd say this with great sympathy to people have ongoing back problems. Mine are much much better through a combination of never ending physical therapy and workouts and stretching that sort of thing. I was so miserable the last six months of being like fifty eight in the first six months of being fifty nine, and I feel so much better now.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've deaged five years.
Speaker 3: So the idea that the calendar says otherwise, I just it's internally. I know that's correct, but I feel really good. But you're doing my recent standards.
Speaker 5: But you're doing that thing where they drain the blood out of young homeless people and they put it in your right.
Speaker 2: Not all homeless.
Speaker 5: Some of them have a volunteers, but most of them are homeless because they need the money.
Speaker 2: Draining the blood of the young and injecting it into my greedy veins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad that's working for you. If I could get that going, man, I would you have a question, Michael, No, it wasn't about this though. I was just thinking about the training the blood of the homelessness.
Speaker 2: That does nothing about that about that.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking about what Joe said.
Speaker 7: You know, you guys started in two thousand and that's when I started, and I was gonna tell Katie that the show show you how low they thought of the radio station. They used to tell me that, wouldn't you like to come work on some other show or whatever? And I refused to do it because I believed in this show. I really did, and it drove them nuts.
Speaker 4: They hated me.
Speaker 2: Oh bless you for that. Yeah, not us them. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The bosses were like, you know, you're pretty good talented, which Michael is obviously.
Speaker 2: You know, you should come work over here in a real radio station.
Speaker 4: Michael's good call on not it was a great call.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just before we started nineteen ninety eight, they had a serious meeting about just shutting it down and taking it off the air to save the electricity and so they wouldn't have to bother employing nice people or were trying hard but weren't getting anywhere. It's like, this is not worth the trouble. Why don't we just shut that radio station off? And it took several years, but what was it, four or five years later we were number one in the market and have been a good bit of the time ever since that is awesome.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't want to do it again, Sweetheart.
Speaker 1: Thee Armstrong and Getty Show or Jahn or Joe podcasts and our hot links The arm Strong.
Speaker 8: And Getty Show.
Speaker 5: I'm a regular at the gym now for like the last six months since I moved because I got a gym membership with this place I live, and I hadn't been a regular and a gym for not a regular for like thirty years, so it's been a long time pre cell phone era. Now they got signs everywhere, you know, don't sit there staring at your phone on the equipment blah blah blah blah blah, because I see that happened all the time. People do a set, then they start scrolling and they don't realize ten minutes has gone by before they get back to their second set. Yeah, you're not working out hard enough. If you've got time to.
Speaker 2: Do that, you're not serious the hell out the way.
Speaker 5: I actually texted a buddy of mine who's like super hardcore into working out all the time. My main complaint I'm going to get to in a second, but he hates stacks too much weight on there and can't actually lift it guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that bothers him. That is kind of funny.
Speaker 5: There is a super ripped guy at the gym I's noticing the other day, and he does about the lightest weights of anybody in there. But his form is perfect, and I thought all these other muscleheads should look at him. They're trying to because they got to show how much they're doing, but they're like swinging their body around, which is not you know, isolating the muscle you're trying to wear. But this guy who uses the lightweight, he is so perfect with this technique and he's really ripped. So I think that's the key. But younger guys like to show how much they can lift. But here's here's my least favorite guy that I wanted to bring up this topic for the slams the weights down guy to show how freaking intense you.
Speaker 2: I guess all the time. Oh no, that's a lifetime ban. I know.
Speaker 5: In this gym I go to, it's a private gym, and they've got signs up that say do not slam the weights. They didn't have those signs until like a week ago, and he's new. I think those signs are aimed purely at him. It has not worked at all because I've seen I saw him in the gym again last night, and I don't think anybody's got the guts to go up to him and say, hey, could you not slam those weights down? Because he looks like he would attack you and punch you in the face if you said anything to him.
Speaker 2: He's just so intense.
Speaker 5: Sure, and he stops around and he lifts heavy and he drops him on the floor, bang, bang klang, and everybody jerks like you know, because you get startled when you hear a loud noise like that. Oh, it's just so uncomfortable being around him. But Robin Tench, you started tens Robin tense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you get kicked out of You'll get kicked out of Planet Fitness for that.
Speaker 5: Really, good for you. You're so freaking intense, you weirdo. Quit slamming the weights around. Geez, we get it. You care about being tough guy or something. You lift a lot that needs yeah, needs exactly yippy, But he just does it every time.
Speaker 2: And it's it's more just like I don't like big loud.
Speaker 3: Noises, right, yes, sudden loud noises, Yeah, they're kind of annoying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's always that guy that makes extra loud noises just so everybody looks over at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a combination of his grunting and he's dropping.
Speaker 4: Boom.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, we get it.
Speaker 5: Can you go to some heme man women haters club gym where you all strut around about how cool and testosterone laden you are and I don't know what you do, count your chest hairs or do something but a different jim.
Speaker 2: Oh he's totally shaved. But anyway, oh yeah he is.
Speaker 3: Actually call it a holes, Yeah, just you know, and have the the O of the hole be a plate on a bar bell A holes. The big guy lifting it'll and form the own.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Have a gym called a holes and you like encourage that sort of thing. And everybody wears the tank top with the big loop so you see their entire body.
Speaker 2: They all have. That's the uniform that comes at the A ole.
Speaker 3: Gym, right, and they're all gonna hit on the first woman who walks in exactly one never will you know?
Speaker 2: It's right there on the sign. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Lots of mirrors, lots of posing in the mirrors. And if somebody doesn't drop the weights. The other guys have come over.
Speaker 2: What the hell's the matter with you? Man?
Speaker 4: You gotta drop those ways.
Speaker 2: You don't seem intense.
Speaker 8: Or you're not in tent, Jack, Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, The arm Strong and Getty Show.
Speaker 5: Yesterday we got on the topic of the fact that I take my coat off like a woman.
Speaker 2: As my son said, you take your coat off like a girl. Confirmed.
Speaker 5: I checked with a friend who's known me for twenty five years who said, yeah, you do take your coat off like a girl. Thought, really, okay, that's interesting. Then yesterday took off my coat during the show for Katie. She said, you absolutely take your goat. It's the way I rolled my shoulders apparently. So we made a video of it and put it up for a vote, and we posted on Twitter, and it's running sixty about two thirds. Yes, I lack authority and otherwise in other words, I take my coat off like a girl or no, about a third. So most people seem to agree, and a lot of comments on the video. For instance, Dave who weighed in he may take his coat off like a lady, but he takes his pantyhose off like a man.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: It's the way he puffs out his boobs. That's what my son said. It's like you're trying to push out your boobs but you don't have any Okay, you're like a Ponzi hairdresser.
Speaker 2: This person said, Oh, Karen's Henriady. Who's the insults?
Speaker 5: Huh, Karen Henriady, a fabulous human being in a long time. A friend of the Armstrong and Getty show said, Michelangelo is a National treasurer. That's for Michelangelo's participation in the video. And she takes his jacket off like a man compared to my taking it off like a girl.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: I went into this wanting to back you Jack, But yeah you do.
Speaker 6: Oh uh big popular vote that your jacket's too small?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it wasn't when I bought it.
Speaker 3: Did you see Jamie's comment, our beloved former newswoman Jamie Coffee, I did not, She said, not sure. It's like a girl, but definitely more fluid and more flair than Michaelangelow's cave man esque distrobing of his coat. So and you do you boo boo? She writes, that's a very Jamie thing to say. Uh, yeah, so Michael coming in for.
Speaker 2: A little criticism. Yeah, I don't know why I rolled my shoulders like that. It's really made me think a lot about a lot of things, giving you a japlex.
Speaker 3: I have been a flaming heterosexual since early in my life. I just knew it's girls for me from a very early, you know, point in my life, and I have observed girlishness and femininity in many, many different pursuits. I've never thought about there being a feminine way to take off one's coat.
Speaker 5: Now until people started posting gifts of women taking off their coats. And that's the way I take my coat off.
Speaker 2: Huh. Jack is an effeminate.
Speaker 5: Man who seeks recognition and approval from others, especially the opposite sex, for self esteem fulfillment.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, good psychoanalysis. That's no charge either. It's the shoulder roll, everybody says, so I'll work on it. I guess more of a shimmy.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to do about that. Okay, So tell us your story, Katie or Joe has a prelude.
Speaker 4: To Yes, Joe had something.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just gonna.
Speaker 3: Say, we Uh, I'm not even sure this person's with us anymore.
Speaker 2: Are our first age.
Speaker 3: We were not thrilled with the job he did, and indeed we asked him to take his leave in favor of Eric, the world's greatest agent. On the other hand, the one thing that he did that I really appreciated, he'd say, guys, call me, it's urgent.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, So he would always make it clear, hey, I got to see you.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Everything's cool, because he knew that anybody who gets that summons is like, O A crap all So, bosses, I've always wondered this, when you say I'd like to see in my office at one o'clock, do you get a kick out of people being scared to death? Or does it or does it not occur to you that unless you say it's a good thing, everybody's worried they're about to be fired or something bad. Every time, not sometimes, not occasionally, every time, bosses, you say I need to see in my office. You're scared depth you're losing your job. So if it's not bad and and and unless you get a kick out of them being freaked out, you should say, as our agent used to say, it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no big deal. We just got to deal with something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Of course, if they weren't going to sack you, roll in your life and cast you out into the poverty, they wouldn't tell.
Speaker 4: You that, all right, of course, real quick here.
Speaker 7: But if you call your agent, he says, it's a good thing, and he says, guess what, guys, I got a new car.
Speaker 2: That doesn't help you.
Speaker 3: I'm watching the video. I haven't watched the whole video yet. I had a crazy busy day, Michael. That's not cave managed. That's a man taking off his coat.
Speaker 2: Michael.
Speaker 3: I apologize for even report repeating that that idiotic criticism.
Speaker 4: I appreciate.
Speaker 3: That's going to take off his coat. It's uh, it's it's PONSI. It's hard to describe why, but it's.
Speaker 2: I know, I wondering how I picked that up. Weirdly deliberate, that's exact. That's funny. That is really weird.
Speaker 5: Let me read the quote from and this is somebody who hadn't seen me take a jacket off in twenty five years. And I ask them, I mean, it's just weird that they'd have any memory whatsoever. If somebody from who I haven't seen take a jacket off in twenty five years, texted me and said, do I take my jacket off?
Speaker 2: In an effeminate way? I would say, what the hell are you talking about? What I said?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're very particular and intentional when removing your jacket, very feminine.
Speaker 4: They use the very word.
Speaker 2: That you used. That's so strange. I know it is.
Speaker 3: This is this is a topic I have never spent a single second thinking about.
Speaker 5: No in my many decades on this planet. But you're in agreement with two thirds of people. Okay, whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've got to admit I was I was tasked with having because I did after the show yesterday. But I was tasked with having Judy videotape me taking my coat off. But she was insanely busy yesterday and we never got it done. And now I'm a really curious about my coat removal style, although nobody's ever mentioned it to me, so it's probably more normal. But I'm also totally aware. Now I'll be hyper aware I won't be able to do it naturally.
Speaker 5: I wonder if I've ever sea blocked myself with your pardon the expression, having met a woman who's kind of interested in me, and then I take my coat off and it's a deal breaker. It's like, no way I could be with that guy.
Speaker 3: And maybe she's not even conscious of why. She's like, I'm not a lesbian.
Speaker 7: There's probably a dozen beautiful women out there. Jack that this has happened.
Speaker 5: I was like, I can't be with a guy who takes off his jacket like me. They thought to themselves.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Anyway back to Katie is this is just a silly story that I had actually forgot about until this conversation came up. One of my top favorite bosses of all time, and I think you know him, Paul Hawsley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul, what a good dude. Yeah, I love him.
Speaker 6: So I get off the air in San Francisco and he comes into the into the studio and he goes, hey, Katie, I need to talk to you in my office for a second. And he is stone serious, and I'm thinking, oh boy, what did I say?
Speaker 2: What did I do? Whatever?
Speaker 6: So I go into his office and he sits me down and he goes, so, what is going on with your car?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly my reaction. I'm like, what what are you talking about? You get out of your car like a dude, and it's just weird. Yes, it's yeah, that was it.
Speaker 6: And he goes, you're the pictures on your car and I'm like, the pictures on my car? The only thing I have on my car is a blink one eighty two sticker on my window. And he goes, Okay, let's let's go to the garage.
Speaker 2: So in the license plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we walked down to the garage and we go to the back of my car, which is parked right next to the elevator, and at this time it shows so this is like ten thirty in the morning, Okay, all over the back of my car, below the windshield or below the windshield so I couldn't see it, are triple X porn photos ripped out of the magazine. Oh it went all the way up to just about as triple X as you can get.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 6: Mortified. I looked at them, like Paul, I have keep in mind, my drive to San Francisco was about.
Speaker 2: Thirty five minutes.
Speaker 6: So I drove from home over the bridge into San Francisco.
Speaker 2: With this on the back of my car. Oh okay, So I go.
Speaker 6: Into my text messages because I hadn't checked, and people used to text message me at ungodly hours, and I see a text from one of my friends that says, hope you have a good work morning. And I knew I from this the second I saw it went it was him. He came up and walked to my house and he taped these things to the back of my car. So Paul and I had a little bit of a laugh about it. We go back up into his office and Paul goes, hey, let's call your friend. I'm like, okay, So I call him. I call him and I start, you know, fake crying. I'm like, Ryan, dude, my boss, really, my boss.
Speaker 2: Would like to talk to you. O my god.
Speaker 3: So this is this is the appropriate vengeance. This is making me uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: This is justice.
Speaker 6: So Paul has him on speakerphone and he goes, Hi, Ryan, this is this is Katie's a program director here in San Francisco, and I just wanted to discuss the images that you put on the back of her car. We actually have security from the building here as well. And you could hear Ryan going oh no, no, no, and then Paul start busting up laughing.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that that's pretty good. The reason this.
Speaker 6: Story came up is because we were talking about the weirdest reasons we've ever been called into our boss's office, and my brain went, oh, my god, that happened.
Speaker 5: Oh that is that is a good way to get back at somebody, though I would not have thought of that.
Speaker 2: That's good. God. Oh it was mortifying. Anyway.
Speaker 3: If you are doing this job and you get called into the boss's office and you're not fast forwarding through everything you said in your head, you're not doing the job right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was a short walk to Paul's office.
Speaker 6: But I'm going, Okay, what did I I did this news story a comment?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I had no idea at all. Wed go ahead, Joe.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, we've like had serious stressful issues with people completely freaked out and pissed off some of them performatively about things we've said. And I'd say two of the three I never saw coming. No.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, every time I've gotten in trouble for saying something, it's like something I didn't even remember. I say edgy things sometimes and they go, oh boy, that might get me in trouble. That's not the one. It's the thing I didn't even think of for some reason, that usually ends up with the TV cameras outside the radio station, and.
Speaker 3: Then there is I need to come up with a name for it. It's like my white whale. It's the one thing I said once that I thought, that's it. I've ended my career. I shouldn't have said that. Whoops, And I was. I was. I was virtually certain it would be devastating, and nothing ever came of it. And you can ply me with booze. You can put me on the rack. You can the other thing, Well, the other thing might get me. I don't know, try it, but I gotta go to church. I need to get to go to church and have my ears wa washed out. And I will never admit it. I will never repeat it. It will not be repeated.
Speaker 5: Had one time we angered the Asians and every TV station sent their Asian girl reporter to the radio station to and that.
Speaker 3: Was the funny part of it. And we've seen that sort of thing. If you say something insensitive about like affirmative action for black people or something like that, all of a sudden you find out every station in town happens to have a black reporter too. Wow, and they're reporting on this story. It's hilarious once you become aware of it. It's it's like one hundred Italian Americans are angered at the cancelation of the parade. We go to Luigi Praconi for a report. Come on.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yea or Jack Grgio podcasts and our Hot Lakes, The arm Strong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: What's your story?
Speaker 7: Michael, My wife has looked in the closet and says, I need to throw away all my old clothes.
Speaker 2: Basically because of fashion or size.
Speaker 4: I don't wear them and it's just taking up space.
Speaker 7: But yeah, do I I guess the question I have is, for example, we have some old towels.
Speaker 4: She wants to change out the towels.
Speaker 7: But I've told her, hey, just wash them, we can give them away to Goodwill or something like that. She wants me to throw them away. And how often do you change out towels for example? I mean, do you guys change them out?
Speaker 4: Ay rid of them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean do you change them out every six months?
Speaker 3: No? When we're ashamed of them, that's why you you get rid of There's I don't know, you're embarrassed for people to look at them.
Speaker 5: I realize my lifestyle is not like most people's, but I don't know that I ever have in my life other than like they just get lost or something.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like you, Jack, I just keep the same towels and keep rewashing them.
Speaker 5: Yah, yeah, I've never I've never kept thirty years. I've never kept a towel long enough to wear it out. I don't think can how.
Speaker 2: Do you lose them? Like a bass? Tell what happens to them? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't have the same towels I don't have. Oh, I don't have the same towels I had when I was twenty five. But I never act, That's what I'm asked. What I'm wondering too, I've never actively gotten rid of them. You know what I do a lot, and this is not good. Is I've moved a lot in my life. I'm I had it unpacking. I'm doing this right now in my house. I have an unpacked since my last move. Like I bought some new a new screwdriver last night at the store because I don't know where my screwdriver is from the move, so I probably do that. I got boxes of old towels. I've never opened the boxes, so I had to get new towels. That's probably what I do. But no, I have never thought, does your wife do this because she wants a different look, like a different color, or is it because she thinks they're worn out?
Speaker 7: She thinks they're worn out, well, then get new towels. But what's what I'm trying to save money? And so what's a worn out towele? What is a worn out towel?
Speaker 3: It looks kind of threadbare and just blah, doesn't look nice anymore, unraveling.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 7: I just figure if it washes my body and I'm happy with it, I wash them and that's it.
Speaker 2: You wash yourself with your towel.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you dry yourself with the towel.
Speaker 2: But there you go.
Speaker 7: As far as saving money, though, I just, I just I don't want her to keep buying new stuff.
Speaker 5: And it's just well, this sounds like a thing between you and your wife. But wow, yeah, I'm not wanting to get involved in. I have opinions, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea away. And although I buy high quality towels so they would last, practically forever. I'm one of the few things and I've always been willing to splurge on. I love the feel of a good, high quality towel. Huh yeah.
Speaker 7: She wants me to throw them away, not give them away. She says, you can't give those two goodwill And I said, why not, They're perfectly fine, and she says, no, no, we've been using them.
Speaker 4: And I say, well, just wash them.
Speaker 3: You know, I would say, bring them to said charity or a charity of your choice, and if they want them, they'll take them. If they don't, they will heed them.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Katie, I've got comments, but.
Speaker 6: No, I'm just I mean, how bad of shape are they in?
Speaker 2: Michael read the newspaper through them.
Speaker 4: No, no, they're in good shape.
Speaker 2: So and I do not want to weigh in this on this at all.
Speaker 3: I'm only asking the lady wants new towels, all right, Katie.
Speaker 2: I'm only the lady or.
Speaker 5: Tells I'm only asking for information purposes. So she doesn't want to give them away because she doesn't think it's it's cool to give somebody a used towel. Correct, Okay, well, okay, by definition, I mean goodwill stuff tends to go to people that are pretty down and out usually, and I think they'd rather have a used towel of than no towel.
Speaker 2: But you can always do them.
Speaker 6: I was sorry to like the SPCA or something for the animals.
Speaker 2: Dogs don't use towels. I've watched dogs over and over. They just shake. I wish they would.
Speaker 3: Um boy does bashirt like if we walk him in the rain.
Speaker 2: Boy does.
Speaker 3: He liked to get toweled off, so it's a win win. He's not resistant to it because it feels really it's.
Speaker 5: A race between getting the towel on the dog and them shaking. And they're standing in the doorway or something like that and they shake. You got hair and splacker everywhere. Oh yeah, pro tip towels in the garage. You gotta be prepped, you gotta be ready.
Speaker 2: Uh where were we?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Let the free market function, missus, Mike Lengelo. If somebody wants to buy the towels, let them. That is a coming together of a need and a fulfillment of that need.
Speaker 2: Of course, I I'm a guy.
Speaker 5: Who buys you use shoes off of eBay and stuff like that, so I mean, I think a shoe is way grosser than a towel, wash a towel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, whenever my parents go through a towel or whatever, my dad cuts it in half and uses them for the gym.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea.
Speaker 5: Or use it just for like cleaning my car, washing my car and d something like that. Yeah, that is I've done that with towels before. That's true.
Speaker 2: I have done that. They move from the drying my body to the drawing my motorcycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, yeah to the garage. Yeah, there you go, win win Michael out to the garage.
Speaker 4: Huh Hey, thanks guys. So I'm not throwing them away, That's that's the bottom line. I'm not gonna throw this.
Speaker 2: You're willing to die on that hill?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I am in a couple more years out of them.
Speaker 3: Michael Tonight on DC Towel Hoarders, TLC whatever it is now.
Speaker 2: PHC is pot, that's ver well to TLC is fine.
Speaker 5: We don't want this to move to a Judge Judy situation where you got Michael and his wife yelling at each other.
Speaker 2: She wants to throw the towels.
Speaker 5: They're disgusting, she says.
Speaker 8: Armstrong and Getty