Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to Bob West's podcast. My guest today is one and only Rob top Rob. You're wearing a Bob Dylan T shirt. You're a big Dylan fan.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, of course. Man, if you're a songwriter and you're not, then you've missed something along the way.
Speaker 1: So what are your favorite Dylan songs?
Speaker 2: You know, besides I think obviously you know, like Blowing in the Wind or that kind of seminal first period, you know, Like I was really really got into the Times of Change record, you know, like the Yeah, I thought that there was a really great return to form. I thought it was just it was it was kind of unique for me to like find something that you know, like I don't when you stumble on something new, you stumble on something and when you have something that you grew up with, you kind of always just love the things that you loved about them to begin with, you know. But I find that there was certain artist Springsteen being one of those, like when he went on that unbelievably prolific tear you know, after nine to eleven from the Rising on, like, you know, it's kind of great when you when you see that happen and you realize that you're just as excited about the new stuff as you were about some of the older stuff. Now I've seen him live and it's not my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 1: I got all said, I'm the same way, so uh, I won't go anymore. But uh okay, believe it at that. So do you keep up on new music?
Speaker 2: Not in the way that I used to. I mean, I it's easy to blame the medium, but I think, you know, like I do a song of the day every day, and so in a way that that tasked me to every day search on Spotify and listen till I find something either that you know or I mean, I try and do it, like if I'm driving in the car and something excites me and make a note for that to be my song of the day. But I don't. I mean, I can't remember the last time that I got excited about a brand new album and wore that record out like I used to do, you know where I like, actually listen to something, seek out the record and play it from beginning to end, over and over and over. I think I've just become a victim to streaming, and I've become a victim to song by song by song. You know, I now like my music like I like my people. It's just on a case by case, song by song base.
Speaker 1: So how do you get turned on to new stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's not as important to me, I guess, to get turned on the new stuff, I think. I just you know, I'm a big fan of film, a big fan of television. I think that placement now has been better than it's ever been before. So I know that I find a lot of music that I love through film and through television. It just just in different, you know, in sync situations like the amount of times and my wife and I are sitting on the couch watching something and then we hold up our with a SoundHound and we both do it at the same time. Like, but what is that that happened? That happens quite a bit, I think, you know, as you I've read an article somewhere that said that, you know, and I don't know if it was like thirty or forty, but there's a certain point in your getting older where you stop like really taking in new things in that you know, like you there's a certain point where culturally you like what you liked up until this point, and that's the kind of thing that always really excites you, and not that a couple of them don't get in, but it I don't retain it in that way, Like like I remember there's a band called The Beaches, and I keep forgetting like until I see them, and I'm like, oh, that's right, I love the Beaches. I need to go check out that record. And I never fucking check out that record. I just keep telling them my isealf, Oh I got to go check out that record. But I probably know like four songs, but I'm like, oh, I'm a fan of the Beaches, which means I'm a fan of those four songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, But you know the difference, it's very different when you were coming up and you had your initial success. Today there's a tsunami of prout, like it's almost you know, every day there's one hundred thousand tracks on Spotify, And I know the bit you're talking about age, but it's like incomprehensible. But let's go back a step. So what streaming television do you watch?
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean it's purely script scripted drama, comedy. You know, Like I'm just a huge fan of pretty much any new thing that comes out my wife and I are, you know, Like my favorite thing now is just when she tells me that she doesn't want to watch something because I'm running out of shit for myself to watch alone. So like she doesn't like something, I'm like, oh, thank god, I got something, you know, to watch when I'm working out or something to watch when I'm alone. But I mean, I'm a try I'll watch anything except for reality TV, Like I can't do anything. Like I'm just not a big fan of reality TV, And oddly I'm not really all my friends are big fans of biopicks. I'm more of a fan of like like retail you know, I really appreciate those a lot more. But I'm not as big a fan of documentaries as I used to be. Not really sure why. I just find that when I see them, I'm incredibly turned on by them, and I really love them, But I just don't get myself motivated to like sit down and go I've got two hours. I want to watch this, you know. But then like my wife and I watched that I forget the name of it, but that that documentary about the volcano, you know, the studio that was just under the volcano. And like that brought back such a flood of memories because you know, we were we came out of this era after that era, you know, I mean they weren't throwing that much money, but they were still throwing money at us. So like we could still make a record and that could mean renting out the entire top floor of the Hit Factory and some of the bottom floor and have like a factory going just for your album, making that record and you know, travel away somewhere to get away for an experience to make a record, like and be able to do that and not realizing that we might be one of the last kind of musical generations that gets to experience making music in that way. So when I saw that, I was like, ah, maybe I don't like Maybe I don't like seeing myself in these documentaries. You know, maybe I maybe it's just too much longing. Sometimes I'm not a competitive person, but I think creatively i'm competitive. So I think sometimes I see somebody and they're just so fucking talented that it just makes me feel immediately less. So, you know, and so I think that sometimes I have a hard time. I just kind of want to be in my own lane doing my thing and be inspired by somebody else's art.
Speaker 1: Okay, there are other people you might feel inadequate relative to. But how much of it is what you mentioned earlier, that the business has changed and you don't get all that money thrown it at you. And is it lamenting those days or is it just when you see somebody say they're fucking great?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean, you know, I was really fortunate in the career, especially at the very beginning, that really bought me the ticket to be on the ride for as long as I've been on it. But it's never I mean, coming up, we were we were very very careful about decisions that we made in things that we wanted to do, and we've left a lot of money on the table. It's never really been the deciding motivating factor. I just when I hear a great like when I hear a great song, I get I go through this whole problem and my wife can see it happening in my eyes and she's just like, ah, fuck, not again. Like I'll go through a whole process and luckily it usually ends with me creating something, but it starts with this feeling of like how does he do that? Like I'm still amazed at how I can listen to a new song and when I break it down, eventually I see it. I see it. I see there's a verse, and I see there's a chorus, and I know the chords, and I see the makeup of it. And it's not magic. But I love the fact that when I first hear it, it sounds like voodoo. It sounds like something that I don't know, and it's realize it's because I understand the mechanics of something very very well, but still didn't see how they got there. It's like if I were a magician going to see a really great magician and still getting fooled by the trick. And that's what it feels like sometimes when I hear something and I just go, oh, I've never been a good magician. I'm still fucking pulling rabbits out of a hat over here, you know, I'm still doing my verse in my chorus, and they're doing something amazing over here. You know.
Speaker 1: Can you give us any concrete examples of songs?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's probably not. I mean, I'm the worst. I feel like I feel like Nick Hornby and in a high fidelity where like I'm tasked to put down the top five list, and it never, like nothing ever comes to mind as soon as you know, as soon as I.
Speaker 1: Hate that too, but it's just you know, you hear certain songs sometimes that as a memory. Okay, So if you're not watching biopics or you're watching series, or you're watching movies.
Speaker 2: I'm watching both. I don't know. I think we've all we all got to a certain place where it feels like a momentous task to sit down and watch an hour and a half or two hour film, but we'll stream four hours of five hours of something without thinking twice about it. Like I I've actually caught myself now on the other side of it, like watching a movie and going, you know, that movie was pretty good, but it would have been better if it had been a series, Like they really could have got in there, they really could have dug into it. So like I'm and I'm still I'm so it's there's so much that I've got a sticky note that my wife and I refer to of like Okay, let's see where we're at, Like what you know, what are we watching right now? Like I think right now it's all about dark matter on HBO, which is on Max I guess, which is fucking phenomenal. And uh, but then we just went through and just went back were watching all of the Star Wars movies again, like or at least the main nine, right, And because my wife was so down on the prequels for so long, and I keep trying to explain to her that maybe there's shit, there's an argument to be had about the actual movies themselves, and are they overseegied and underacted or overacted maybe, but the story is so similar to everything else that comes after it that going back now watching those prequels, like, she got emotional at the end of it, because these are characters that are part of our life, you know, and so that's been a fun thing for us to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the best Star Wars movie?
Speaker 2: Let me think, I mean, for me, it's got to be a new Hope. But I mean, I think that's just because it was the thing that everything hinged on, you know, like it comes with so much emotional baggage with it that and it just means so much. I mean, all the way to my fucking Star Wars bed sheets that I had, you know, probably way past the ages that I should have had Star Wars bedsheets.
Speaker 1: Okay, Star Wars came out in seventy seven, you were a little kid. Did you see it when it came out.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. My wife and I were trying it. We don't remember when we first saw Star Wars, and we were having that exact conversation. I remember my sister and I were growing up in South Carolina. My sister has we have different fathers, and I remember her father picking her up, she's five years older, and her father picking her up to go see Star Wars in the theater and being like like crying. My mother had to console me because I couldn't go. And I remember that succinctly, But I don't remember when I first saw I remember going to see Empire Strikes Back, and I remember going to see Jedi, and I think even more, I remember leaving the theater after those movies and you're walking out and the credits are playing, and they're playing that iconic score, that John Williams score, and you're a kid, and you walk down the aisle of the theater to leave feeling like a fucking Jedi, you know, like there was just it was it was it stayed with you in such a way. And uh, I've honestly, in everything that I do, have tried to find a way to maintain that, you know, Like how do I try and stay time? Like how do I take away the cynicism that comes with age and knowing things and just kind of give yourself over to what it's supposed to be. And I mean I fail at it miserably, but God, that was the best feeling ever.
Speaker 1: So what else is on the list.
Speaker 2: Of all time? Like, I mean, it jumps around my One of my favorite movies of all time is iHeart Huckabees David Russell film, But also so is Curproco. I mean, like my wife every time she comes in the house, if Circac goes on, it's fucking on, and it stays on. It drives her insane and then she just gets some out of my like shitty Patino And personally you get too in the back, You get to in the back, like I mean, it's it's just it was, It's just I don't know if there's anything cooler in the world than al Pacino during Cercroco period. You know, it's a maybe dog day afternoon, okay.
Speaker 1: But on the list that you have what you're gonna watch on television? How do you establish that list?
Speaker 2: Hold on, you know what I'm gonna show, I'm gonna figure out right now, like right now, so I've even got it. So I've even got it down. And the ones that that are gone away, but but they're gonna come back, things like The Morning Show and the Umbrella Academy, Uh, Fargo, if they're gonna if that's gonna come back, Deadlock which is really great. Australian showed Showgun, which I think is kind of done. It's not coming back. Fallout was really great. But I mean then we'll watch like Abbod Elementary and Welcome to Wrexham. I just started. We just started with The Big Cigar, which I think is pretty great. So, I mean it's pretty all over the place. I don't think we adhere to like, you know, any one kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And so what will your wife not watch that you watch yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, like we just started The Sympathizer with with Robert Downey Jr. And she watched one episode and was like, okay, this is yours. I don't know why she loves Robert Downey Junior more than me, but that was it.
Speaker 1: So is this something where you watch something every night or once a week or how much?
Speaker 2: No, pretty much every night. I mean every night that we're home. You know, we're we have we we have the blessing and the curse. Like if I'm gone, I'm gone. But when I'm home, I'm I'm very present. And when we have long stretches of time where we're you know, so we have a routine, and that routine always involves let's either make some dinner or have some dinner. We're gonna sit down and we're gonna watch something, you know, something that we're really into. And then on the weekends, this movie time is using when we set aside time to actually watch films.
Speaker 1: But you always do it at home. You don't go out to the theater.
Speaker 2: Not as much. We you know, here, we live in Bedford, and right around the corner in Bedford Village there's this beautiful place called the Bedford it's a Bedford Cinema, but it's also the Clive Davis Center for Performing Arts.
Speaker 1: This is bed for New York in the Bedford.
Speaker 2: New York right right, And they have this beautiful place, you know, and you can eat food there and it's great. You know, it's wine and food and they have directors come and they have like events centered around the films. But they'll also have classic movies Tuesdays and Thursdays, like they just had the Big Chill last week. I think they have escaped from New York coming up next week, and so we're more likely to go see those movies. But like, I mean, there's a line of like, you know, when the new Batman movie comes out, I got to see that in a theater. When you know, there's certain movies that the director all the time and effort that goes into making it the spectacle that it is, deserves that kind of format. I just don't need it for a lot of the small independent films that I'm watching, they'll they'll be fine at home, you know. And also I just I'm good and old man. I just it takes a lot for me to get I joked that, you know, I moved to Bedford from the city, and I didn't want to move too far because I was like, you know, I want to be able to go in out of the city all the time because I'm you know, that's me man. I'm a social butterfly, and like I joke now that it's It's like if John Lennon and Jesus were playing at the Beacon, I would still need to make sure, like, well, I mean, am I getting driven in? Do I have to find parking? Like? Do I?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Do I am I good? You know? Do I have good tickets? Like? I don't know?
Speaker 1: But if they're playing at the Capitol, you'll go.
Speaker 2: Oh the Capitol for sure. I mean that place is awesome. I was playing the Capitol and in the dressing room, the artist dressing room, there's a picture, live picture of Carlos back in like the early seventies, like sixties playing and I sent him the picture and he remembered it immediately, remember that tour. He remember that show, and he's like, oh, the Capitol. He didn't even know it was. He didn't know it was back open again.
Speaker 1: So a lot of great shows there before it closed and Peter Shapiro reopened it. But you grew up in the South. What's it like living in the North.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, I've been here longer than I've been anywhere, because I've been here. I'm fifty two and I've been here for twenty six years. In New York so I've like, I don't really know remember, but I think that the difference is you're never not from the South, if that makes sense. Like there are certain sensibilities that I grew up with and I have because I had a Southern mother, because I grew up in the South, and those things don't change, and I find there's a yokeleness around me in that, like like when I go to a party or I go somewhere like you know, and I'm I go to some you know, great premiere and you go to the after party and it's very swanky and it's a lot of very fanous, but I'm actually like, I'm really glad to meet you, and I'm really glad to be there, And that comes across, as you know, as kind of like yogel, for lack of a better word, very and very uncool. But I think so you like, I don't remember what it's like to be in the South, and I'm sure it's much different twenty six years later than it was then, some some better and some worse. But uh, but I but I'll never forget what it's like to be from the South. And as soon as I go back home and I get a little buzz on the accents keeps back out because when my wife first met me, it was thick. I mean it was like, you know, not big. I was like, you know, had it really deep and uh and she loved it because she was a girl from New York. She didn't you know, didn't really spend a lot of time with Southern guys. So I think it helped took her in. But eventually it went away also because I hated it kept I hated that it came through in my singing voice, like my first record, all deeply in the first record, a little bit in the second record, everything had the Southern twinge to it. You know, it was cold house harm mariink like. It was just it was this southernness that was in there, and I like, I don't know how to be someone else. So it took, you know, years of traveling around the world and being in New York and living there for it to kind of work its way out. I guess into like whatever my accent is now, which is just kind of like a non specific Northeastern kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: So you didn't consciously try to get rid of it, It just evolved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think I could have. If you listen record by record, you can hear it fading away, you know, little by little.
Speaker 1: So how'd you meet your wife.
Speaker 2: At a strip club? No, she was. She was on vacation in Montreal with a friend. She had never heard of our band, but her we only had one song out. So we had the joke between us that when we met, I was more famous than she thought that I was, but less famous than I thought that I was. And because to her, she was this worldly New Yorker who had lived, she'd modeled all over the world. She'd seen things that I can only imagine. And to her, I was this guy who had a song on the radio. She was like, big fucking deal. And to me, I was this guy that had a song on the fucking radio. It was a big fucking deal. And so she showed up that I was immediately her friend somehow.
Speaker 1: A little bit slower. Where were you? How did you end up really encountering her?
Speaker 2: I met the Metropolis, this kind of like larger sized club, smaller sized theater in Montreal. Her friend, what I want to say, was kind of like being very flirty with our guitar tech. And so the guitar tech brought her back after the show, and so whor my now wife was in tow they're just upset, like she wanted to fucking go because, in her words, girls like her don't hang out after the shows. And we've always known that, Bob, you know, like we've always you always notice that, like there are a lot of hot girls at shows, but they're not hanging out backstage because when the show's over, they go do hot girl shit. They've got us to do. And so my wife didn't want to be there. She was there begrudgingly, and then I was also I was about thirty or more pounds heavier than I am now. If you listen to her, I only had one eyebrow, my teeth are a little fucked up. And she's like, I don't know why. She's like, I just saw you and thought I see something in there, And I walked over and just said hi to her and managed to get her phone number and then left. We only talked for like maybe ten or fifteen minutes, and then like four days later, I went to Europe for like two weeks, and so I just spent that whole time talking to her on the phone, like she was going to college at the time, so we would just go, like, you know, whenever her late night and my after show, I'd go straight back to Hotell me. We just talk on the phone, so that by the time I got back and she came to a festival, I had her fly on to a festival in Boston, which like the first thing that we did when we came back. And she came to that show, and we felt like we really knew each other because we had spent hours and hours talking about our lives and everything, and so I was like, I even told her, like on the first date that we were going to get married. I was like, we watched one of my other favorite movies, Basquiot, the Julian Schebel movie, and there's a song, the version of the Nearness of You by Keith Richards is in there, and I said, oh, this is the song you're gonna walk down the aisle when we get married. And she didn't run, and so I knew that was a good sign. And so now this year will be our twenty fifth wedding.
Speaker 1: Average Okay, was it smooth off into the sunset or were there bumps in the road.
Speaker 2: I think overall pretty smooth, and that we're really good friends. I don't. I mean, the thing about being married that long is is just that everybody at you know, every few years you're evolving into whatever it is that you're going to become. And so I think every I would give it, let's say every five years, you chick it on yourself, and whatever group of experiences that you've had happened to you or that you've been a part of, they change you in some way and you start to become, you know, eventually whoever you are. And to do that with another human being isn't necessarily the most natural thing in the world. It doesn't always work out that way. These two people go on these different paths sometimes and they verge, you know, tremendously, and they wind up just not recognizing each other anymore. And I think her and I have stayed friends, and that's been the main thing. I mean, I'm from the South and she is Puerto Rican and Spanish. So we've had fucking fights. I mean we were we were in Detroit and got into a fight. It was like right before Christmas. I remember, because it was right She as like it was like ten minutes before the show, and she's like, get I want you to get your ship and get off the bus. Just get your ship and get off the bus. And I took my suitcase or whatever, and I got off the bus and I'm just like, you know, this will blow over. And I played the show. And as I'm walking back, I go to the backstage door and I could I go to the woman working, I can you do me a favorite? Can you look outside and just tell me as they're a big black bus right by the door, And she's called, no, no, that bus left. It left about two hours ago, and so she she takes she takes the bus, and I've still got two weeks on tour to go down south, so I have to like jump on the band bus for two weeks. But then by the next day, her and my bus driver are here at my house, like write to me sweet messages because they're gonna go out and they're gonna go buy Christmas trees and like you're all excited. And I was just like, I think she just wanted to go home. I don't even know if she was mad at me. And I find that one of the things about being married as long as we are, as we can be in the middle of a crazy fight and then something could come on the TV and I could be ho pause out and she'd be like, oh my god, we'll go and we'll we're laughing, and then we'll go okay, okay, fight back on, go go.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to couples counseling?
Speaker 2: No, No, that's not for us.
Speaker 1: And the two of you don't have children together, right, we don't.
Speaker 2: I have a son. My son is twenty six. So that was another hurdle is that, you know, so we meet each other, she's in love, she's got this whole vision of this life that we're gonna have together, and I have to explain to her that I do have a son on the way that he's you know, he hasn't been born yet, he's about to be born in July. And that was I think. In fact, so I had a song on my second record, Matchbok second record called if You're Gone, and I wrote that song to night my son was born, because that night my wife broke up with me. My girl up she was my girlfriend at the time, and broke up with me because it just it seemed too much for her, this idea that she was in love with this guy, but he was about to embark on this other journey that she wasn't a part of and something that was very important to her, the idea of having kids and the idea of being married, and so she didn't know. She thought maybe I already had this and didn't need her for it, and she broke up, and then I wrote, if you're gone. I don't think that's what got her back, but that was kind of the headspace that I was in at the time. And then you know, I think her she's had myriad health issues for the last twenty some odd years and because of those things, it just wasn't in the in the cards for us. And we're okay with it, Like we were never people who were going to be defined by being parents, and we are people who do it like our time that we have, you know, so we're never like all the pitter patter of little feet and her and my son are super close, and you know, my son is now my son is now the guitar player in my solo band as of this this year, so you know, it's it's just never felt like something that we really missed. I think if I had to think about it really hard, you know, I wasn't around for all of my son being an infant, and I kind of maybe that would have been nice to be a part of watching that evolution and watch someone kind of become a person. But it's not something that we lament about too much.
Speaker 1: So, had you had a relationship with the mother of your son or was it a brief interlude.
Speaker 2: Somewhere in the middle. We were very fond of each other and we we spend a little bit of time together, but it was but it was brief.
Speaker 1: And so what what went through your head when you found out she was pregnant?
Speaker 2: Uh? I mean at the time, I was more worried. I mean, I mean I was more of a fuck up then, you know, I was. I was still dabbling in cocaine and brown liquor a lot, and so I think I was just I really just had these thoughts of me not being prepared, you know, like I wasn't I didn't really have a sense of like, oh my life is over, but that you know, there wasn't like this this kind of dread. I mean, I was twenty seven, so it wasn't like I was fifteen or sixteen. It was just a sense of like, I don't know if I'm as a person prepared for this task, and I need to. I need to, you know, kind of I need to be better quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you meet your wife pretty early in your success. Many people, you know, they want to become successful rock stars, to live the rock and roll lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well I had, you know, a good year and a half with just fucking ran it til the brakes ran off of it. And that was you know, it was fun. But you know, Paul, my best friend, Paul, who was the drummer for Matchbox and now he's the guitar player. I mean, I remember just before I met my wife on a plane, just wasted and looking at each other and going, you know, there's more to it than this, right, Like it feels like we're kind of like in this cycle of like play, let's play a show, Let's get fucking wasted, wake up, let's do it all over again. You know, girl show, wasted show, Girl show wasted, girl show, and and so I kind of feel like I got to experience a lot of what that's about. But when I met my wife, she was young and I was young, and so we spent the next couple of years traveling around the world, you know, on this fucking grand adventure and you know, we did the drugs and we did the drinking, and we went to the parties and you know, like we Michael Littman is my original manager, Michael Littman from back in the day you just managed George. Michael managed Bowie for a while, and you know, he was one of my big role models when I first started in this business, and him and his wife in particular, because they had you know, we would go to London and they would take us to Cambridges and you know, they take us to these spots and be like, oh, this is you know where me and George did this, or me and David did this, and they would tell these great stories and it was the two of them that had done that. And she used to say, you know, oh, her name's Nancy Liman. She would say, oh, yeah, I'm a rock chick from wayback. And so now that's the joke from my wife. You know, my wife's like, you know, she's a rock chick from way back. Like we got to do that together and experience that together, which I think is so much better than the idea like me meeting someone and ten fifteen years later and having this whole other part of my life that they're not a part of. You know. It almost like we've been together a really long time and we got to be She got to be through that part of it with me, So it's not some you know, fairy tale that she hears stories about later on.
Speaker 1: So she traveled with you at first? Does she traveled with you at all? Now?
Speaker 2: Whenever she wants? I mean she you know, she's not lured by the bus anymore, you know, maybe the way I used to be, But she does like I did. I knew that she was the one when after our first time we were torn together. We're sitting like about a month or two later in our apartment and soho and she just out of nowhere she said, oh I missed the bus. Was just like, oh really, so nah, It's like I fucking love you. And then you know, well, Willy. After my time working with Willie was when I we really up and we started we got our when it was just her and Eye on a bus alone. We stopped getting hotel rooms all together, and just every every day of tour was on the bus. We would just live off that bus, and he got life was so much easier once we started to do that, and it wasn't those three o'clock in the morning, back and forth to the hotels, pack up your ship, go get a room, come back down to twelve for the you know, it was just a nightmare. And now it was just like wherever we went, we were home and it was perfect. Like I, you know, WILLI used to tell me that he would take his bus to his house, but he would still stay on his bus, like he would just do his laundry in the house, but he would just still stay on the bus and like, you know, hook up the power and the phone lines and shipped to the bus. And I was just like, oh, you're my fucking hero again.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what did the rest of the band say when all of a sudden there's this woman along with you with them?
Speaker 2: It was it was a good time, Like when when I met her. It was the next leg of our tour was about to happen, and it was the first time that we had two buses, and so everybody, what the hell just happened?
Speaker 1: I have no idea where that came from. It's like a your birthday or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. So, you know.
Speaker 1: This is audio only, but all of a sudden, we saw balloons on the screen, just like to see my message.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I feel like that guy in that I am not a cat, sir. So we had two buses for the first time, and so we're we all, you know, Paul at the time, I just started dating me and Zappa and they weren't married yet, but they had just started dating. I think Brian had just met, like we had all met people, and so we everybody loved the idea that we could break off, had a little more room, and everybody could bring somebody out if they wanted to. So it's actually the perfect time for it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Anybody who's had the level of success you've had knows you're out there, you're playing to thousands of people. You know, then you go back in the dressing room with the same people you've known for ten or fifteen years. How do you calm down from a show?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's I think it still involves drinking. Probably it used to be more, I think, but then again, I mean, you know a lot of those highs were much higher at the very very beginning. They were new. Everything was a new experience, you know, for the first few years. Every sold out club, no matter how small, it was felt like a victory. And then you moved the theaters and then, you know, if you're fortunate enough like that, that one record had like three or four different lives over like a three year period that ended. It started with us in tiny clubs playing to nobody, and ended in sold out arenas all over the world, and so everything about that was special and new and exciting, and we were you know, and I think, just like anything else, I think, you know, when you're a race car driver, that's speed. It is exhilarating, and then over the years, everything else inside of the car slows down a little bit and you see it a little bit differently, and you're you know, like, so now when I'm on stage, it's not the show coming at me in a million miles an hour. I'm inside of it, controlling the apparatus to some degree. I'm thinking about where I'm going to be. I'm thinking about how I'm singing. I'm thinking about physicality and where I'm placing myself, thinking about what the rest of the band is doing. I'm thinking about how this is coming across. And so I think that now it's more just like, hey, everybody. Let's if we have a really great show, we all get together, we're all excited, let's toast it. Let's you know. But there's a lot of times where we can have an amazing show sold out, you know, at some amphitheater, twenty two thousand people, and I am on my bus in the shower before the place is empty, you know, because I'm also there. When you were younger, there was no tomorrow, and now only aware that that tomorrow we have to do this again. I want my voice to sound as good like if I had a great show. My first thought is, oh, wouldn't it be great if I had another one tomorrow? Like I want my voice to sound as good as it did. I want my body to have that kind of energy. I'm way more aware now than I was then of like what it takes for someone to come to see a show, Like when you see all these people and that every one of them represents somebody that chose to be there. They paid money for a ticket, they had to get parking, they had to get babysitters, you know, especially as we get older, well now as we got older, a lot of them now have kids that can be their babysitters or they're bringing their grandkids. But you know, I think it's just a different mindset that you're in. It's still exciting, but you you're I think you're you're just a little more responsible about the whole situation than you used to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say, you know, you go from the stage to the shower. You still can't fall asleep right away.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's still we're still up late, you know. But that's luckily my wife is one of those two. I mean, you know, there's been a lot of like times where I'm in there, I'm on the shower because I'm I'm now like the bus is moving, I'm on the bus showering while we're driving down the road. I've got to kind of got good bus legs, and so I come out. And then we're always like, there's a couple, you know, let's have some let's have a couple of drinks on the on the bus, you know, you know, get maybe a little somebody to eat while and then you know, we're all usually streaming something, so we go back to whatever we were watching. You know, whether it's that's when we might be a little more pull out, like the old Ken Burns jazz documentaries and shit like that. We still, like somehow exist on a lot of DVDs on the bus because you because sometimes you don't have signal, so you still have to, you know, like be tethered in some way to DVDs. Uh. So you know, I think you know you don't go to sleep, But luckily it used to no matter because your whole life worked in a cycle. Like you you can go to bed till five in the morning, but you woke up at two in the afternoon. My body, now, in my fifties, I can't sleep past nine if I try, you know, and usually I'm up at seven thirty. So even if I go to that are like three, my body's gonna get up at seven thirty. My dogs are gonna wake me up at seven thirty. I'm not gonna go back to sleep. So you know, again, that's where the responsibility has to kick in.
Speaker 1: Are you wearing an orror ring? I am, so tell me about that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Do you have one? Now?
Speaker 1: I don't have one. I know a lot of people who have them. I've read varying reports on you know, their usability, their accuracy. What's your experience been. I.
Speaker 2: I think the only reason that I wear it is to check how my sleep was every day. It's like it's literally I I didn't get an Apple Watch. I had an Apple Watch and it was so passive aggressive, that little fucker, and like it kept telling me to stand up and go for a walk, and hey, don't forget to meditate. And now even now through my phone, my ring, like my phone will beep and just be like, hey man, it's getting time for bed. Don't you think hm out when I start winding it down, and I'm just like, fuck you. You don't know my life ring. So yeah, I don't know how long I'm going to have it. I have My manager now is Nick Litman. He's co managers with his son with his father, Michael, and he swears by this thing. So in Australia they I fucking bought into it and now I've got it, so I'm going to live with it for a while. And see. I don't see any giant insights into my life that this ring is giving me. But I am fascinated every morning with how I slept.
Speaker 1: You know, what are all the details it tells you about how you sleep?
Speaker 2: I let you know, like where you're breathing rate was while you were sleeping, but it lets you know, like you're how much time you were in RAM sleep versus deep sleep, how much time you spend in bed versus actually sleeping, you know, And like it turns out like even like if I have like a pretty high sleep score and I slept pretty well, only like fourteen minutes of that whole night was in deep sleep, which is kind of crazy, like maybe an hour and something is in r EM sleep, you know, and that's out of eight hours. So I'm not But again, Bob, one of the things is like I could do something and be like, oh, I had like a sleep score in the forties, which is kind of abysmal, and then I do something I changed something up, and I'm like, oh, you know, I didn't. I had like a couple of less glasses of wine and I didn't eat late, and I had like an eighty six sleep score. And you would think that that's the purpose of the ring, and I would go, oh, that's what I need to do now that. No, I don't change my life in any way whatsoever. I still do whatever the fuck I do, and then I just wake up the next day and go like, oh, how to go? I'm not using it the way I'm supposed to.
Speaker 1: If you had a high score and you thought back and you said, well, I didn't drink or I drank less, and I did this, and I did that, if you repeat that behavior and you get the same results.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously, like any it doesn't take a psychotherapist or a medical doctor to letting you know that if you have two glasses of wine instead of six, you're probably gonna sleep a lot better. And I have like restless legs syndrome I have, but I also have a drinking problem. So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Well, well, we'll define a drinking problem.
Speaker 2: I drink more than is healthy for my life.
Speaker 1: Do you drink every day?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, most days? Yeah, I mean I don't get drunk every day.
Speaker 1: But what's the earliest you'll have a drink.
Speaker 2: It depends if I'm on the road and it's a day off. I mean you might be out at lunch having some drinks. But you know that's a that's a different special situation. At home, we're more of like a six thirty seven o'clock have some wine. I mean, like I come from a world where it was shot shot, shot, shot, shot, blind line, line shot shot, smoke, smoke, line, line, pill, pill, and so so it feels pretty moderate in a relative way, you know, compared to like the gears that I but I don't have those gears anymore, you know, Like I traded that model in for a slower model. Like I don't have a sports car anymore. I'm more of a nice four door sedan. Kind of a body happening.
Speaker 1: And do you have an addictive personality? Do you need it? Or you're someone say, well, you know I can stop after a couple of drinks.
Speaker 2: I No, I don't think so at all. I think that's the thing is, I could not drink at all. But I don't have a limitter. But I'm that way with a lot of things, you know, good and bad, Like I get. I like my workouts. I will work out six days a week, seven days a week for an hour and a half two hours a day, you know, and really, and I've got it in my computer, I know, like what workouts I'm doing this and this day and this day I'm charting my progress. I'm like because I started to do it, and I was like, oh I want to. I want to do it. You know, I started to learn something, I'm like, Okay, I want to fucking learn it. I want to, you know. And so anything that I like, I don't want to get. If I buy a book and I start to like it and there's you know, sequels, I would just go buy all of them at one time now because I am now all into this. You know, do you.
Speaker 1: Work out six days a week? Yeah, by yourself with a trainer, now, by myself. So how do you get yourself motivated?
Speaker 2: Ego? Like I one of the things, you know, real talk Bob. One of the things is like, you know, at fifty two years old and I you know, I don't want to I don't want to see the big bloated pictures of me at the casino and my ed hearty T shirts and all, you know, and you're and you're like metal jewelry every you know what I mean, like still trying to hang onto that rock dream with your gut hanging out Like I mean, first off, I've never been like rock and roll guy anyway, but yeah, I know for a fact that nine the time if somebody goes, oh yeah I went and saw Rob Thomas, or I saw mashbox swinning the other night. Somebody's gonna go, oh, how do they look? How do they do it? You know? And and or at least if they if we look like shit, people are gonna stay in their noticing like, oh man, they look fucking rough. God damn like I. I I don't want you know what, I'll when we stop recording, I'll call out. I don't want to. I don't like talking about people, but I'll tell I'll give you a great example of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Very early in your career, once you broke to the external world, it looked like it was very fast and you gained weight, and as a result of that and your instant success perceived by the public, there was a lot of blowback. How did you cope with that?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately by eating and drinking, Like I used to do cocaine, but I would only do cocaine so that I could stay awake and party more, which led to more drinking, which eventually would lead to, you know, gorging on food. So no matter how much I was doing, I was still gaining a lot of weight. The first time that we were ever mentioned in Rolling Stone at all, there was just a picture of me I had this red hoodie. It was from Glastonbury and I just looked bloated as fun and it said it said two things that were just fucking brilliant. It said one that it said Rob Thomas apparently has grown as a performer. And then it said apparently the road that success leads to the deli trade. So we got to charge out of that because at least it was clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we're talking decades later. It must have hurt back then.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it really did. And obviously, I mean, Bob, the thing that we're talking about now, you know, when I think about the reason in the why I'm working, why I work out six days a week, the reason, like I have an unhealthy and this is this is you know real talk to me and my therapist, you know, these are these are subjects, which is I have a very unhealthy body image and I have an unhealthy relationship with calories and food and the like because of because of that, like I you know, because it went deeper than that. It was also me I used to hate, like you know, there were always photo shoots and I fucking hated photo shoots because I felt fat because photo shoots always come with wardrobe fittings, which you hate even more because at some point there's some stylist that you don't even know, going, hey, you need to hit the gym. Huh is this? You know, You're just like ah, and so just pile And then I'm the kind of guy who will never let you know, so I'm always I'm laughing it off to your face and then the you know, drinking it back away, and so you know, it stuck with me pretty hard. My wife, I think, you know, ever since I met her, it was just on a much healthier path, you know, not just for aesthetics, but just you know, aesthetics are a lucky byproduct of that, you know, being healthier.
Speaker 1: So your reference drugs a number of times like that was in the past. So what's the status of drugs today?
Speaker 2: Uh? Alcohol, caffeine, weed? So none?
Speaker 1: Was that a conscious decision, a hard decision, or just so all of a sudden you woke up one day and you weren't doing it.
Speaker 2: That wasn't too hard. I mean I really miss sometimes I miss psychedelics sometimes, you know, I miss and I missed like maybe ecstasy. You know, we used to have a lot of fun. Uh, you know, takeing ecstasy, but cocaine was easy to give up. I think it was just one you just have to be have one time where you look at the people that are in your life, that are only in your life because you're doing cocaine, and how fucking how just how much you hate them, and then you see yourself in them and you go, oh my god, that's who I am, you know, like I'm hanging out with this person that I've never met before in my entire life, and we're talking about opening a club together tomorrow, you know, those kind of nights. And so that was pretty easy to be like, yeah, I'm okay with Without that part of my life happened anymore.
Speaker 1: Now I can see on the zoom you're wearing a bracelet with letters on like a friendship bracelet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one from a fan and one from my niece. But it's not as cute as it sounds. My niece is in her mid thirties.
Speaker 1: Okay, do they say anything specific?
Speaker 2: One has my dog Sammy's name on it, who passed away, and then one just says Matt twenty because uh, because I'm a fan.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned a therapist, So when did you start and how much do you go now.
Speaker 2: Uh, once every couple of weeks, maybe a year and a half ago, two years ago I had I started. Five years ago, I had my first time ever going to a therapist, and I swear to God, like five it's like a fifth session. And she just fell asleep in the middle of the session, and when I called her on it, she just said I was boring her, And so I think in some way, I was like, I fucking knew this is what it was. I knew this is what it's gonna be the you know what I mean, And so that put me off it for a little while. Now I have one who I like a lot. Honestly, I think that she agrees with me a little too much, you might, and so I still might be in a phase now where I need to someone who challenges me a little more. So that might be my next stage in that evolution.
Speaker 1: What motivated you to go to begin with?
Speaker 2: You know, I got there's a lot of unresolved. My mother and I had a very complicated relationship. It's almost like, if you go like reasons for therapy number one, this is you know, so my mother and I had a very complicated relationship, that was never resolved when she passed away, and that was kind of always in there, and I see these parts of her that I hated, that I see inside of myself, and I wanted to explore those a little bit. I wanted to kind of explore, h explore my reasons for why why I'm you know, why why the drinking and why sometimes I let it get out of control to a certain you know. And I just had questions that I wasn't and that I couldn't answer myself, even though I was the only one that contained the answers. But I just did have a key to figure out how to find that answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you grew up in South Carolina. We're in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: So between a place called Lake City, South Carolina, which is like a very small tobacco town maybe an hour from Myrtle Beach and a little time in Columbia, but in Lake City. So Lake City, we we lived in my grandmother's house. So my grandmother was this character. So it was like a kind of like I guess you would call it a general store in a sense, right. It was the local gas station where all the tobacco farmers would come on their lunch break and they could get you know, they would get get a coke or a hot dog or whatever. People would be on their way to the beach sometimes were stopping get gas. She brewedleg liquor from a room under the stairs and had sold weed out of her room in the back. So when I was like ten years old, I could, I could, I was separating stems and seeds out of this weed, making like in like weighing out dining bags and nickel bags. Like at least once a year somebody got shot at this place. It was like it was like one of these kind of a shack of a store where like there's a wood floor, but if there was a hole in it, it went straight to the ground kind of thing. You know. It was very much a very you know, very modest to say the least place. And so we that was my grandmother's uh play, And she was a character who had never she never drank. And then once a year, once every two years, she would go on like a two week vendor that would somehow like end up with her out in front of the store with a gun. Like she was you know, she was either like the nicest, sweetest carrying person or just a fucking you know, powder cake. So it was interesting, it was you know, it was just it was a very interesting thing. And then my mom moved us out to Florida. So it was at a time where like she got a job as a computer programmer, but nobody even knew what that was. So they were just hiring people off the street and sending them to school to learn because they were still doing it with computer cards at the time. And if you remember that, time punches all. Yeah, so she was learning cobalt and all these and then as soon as she'd learned it, there'd be a whole new operating system and she'd go to where met And when she was sixteen, she lied about her age or for a first job and said that she was nineteen. And I was born when she was twenty one. My sister was born when she was sixteen, and she just kept working her way up through these so by the time she had passed away, you know, she had moved us to a really nice, middle class neighborhood. Like we went from living in like the dingy, shitty apartments on that side of town that nobody wants to go to to like a really nice place in Wakaiva, Florida, which was like middle class, beautiful neighborhood. She was the head of Q of Quality Assurance for City Bank and for their security team in banking. You know, she was very respected, and then I think she probably drank herself out of a job and then drank herself to death later on.
Speaker 1: Let's go back your grandmother. What were her parents? How did she end up there?
Speaker 2: I never knew her father, I knew her I didn't. I mean, it was just this magical place that just appeared to me. You know. That was where my history of my family and everybody began. And it's hard to get a straight answer about anything that happened before that. You know, my like my I know my aunt. My mother had a sister. Her name is Marcella Summers, and we used to call her Monkey and she spent she spent most of my life in prison in South Carolina because she hired a serial killer named pee Wee Gaskins. And there's a book about him that's out and she actually has a chapter in it. She hired pee Wee Gascons to kill her boyfriend over a Dodge two eighty Z that like he had given her as a gift and they broke up and he took it back. So she met with Peewe Gaston's had him killed and then shoved into the trunk of that car and then pushed the car into the river. But then she got arrested for it, and so she spent most of my life in prison. So that's the only other family member that I knew.
Speaker 1: Okay, the husband of your grandmother, what was his story?
Speaker 2: There was no husband. Since I was a little kid, she was. I mean, as far as I knew she was asexual, and then I found out later she wasn't. But but she no, I never there was never there was a husband. I think his name was Floyd, but I've never met him. I think, I don't think I've seen pictures of him. These are the stories that my mom used to tell me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So your grandmother started the shop herself.
Speaker 2: Her, I think her. I don't think it's her father. I think it's her stepfather started Willie. It's a great name, really, Grandpa Willy. He started the store and then it was called Kirby Grocery, and then she took it over. You know, years later. I just knew, like when I was born, like I pictures of me as a baby in that store, So I'm not sure how long she had had it before then.
Speaker 1: And what happened to the store.
Speaker 2: I found out later on that had burned out. My one of my cousins burned it down for insurance. Like here's how my family went. My cousin, one of my cousins and his sister got their mother my aunt hooked on crack and then they all tried to burn down the store for like some insurance money. But I didn't know any of this. I took my wife, I think we weren't even married yet, and we were going on a trip through South Carolina and we reren in her car and I was going to go show her, you know, this visual history of my you know, my past, and we got to the spot where the store was, it was just ashes, Like I had no idea. That was a devastating moment for me too, Like I just I think you just always, like I, throughout my life, I would check up on it, Like I would leave home when I was like sixteen seventeen and hitchhike from Florida up to South Carolina and kind of check in on my grandmother and that you know, that little contingent in my family, and so I like, I just assumed, I guess like people do, that it was just there waiting for me always, and then one day I went there and it just wasn't there anymore. My only people that I in my family really that I still have or my sister, who I'm very close to. She's the only person in my family that I'm really close to. My father, who I have somewhat of a relationship but was certainly not close. And that's it. I mean, really, I think I've got a cousin that once every two years might stop by, know, say hi at a show or something. But yeah, that's pretty much my sister and sometimes my dad.
Speaker 1: So did her father ever show up when you grew up.
Speaker 2: My sister's father, Yeah, a couple of times. I actually know him. He comes to shows all the time. He lives in Chicago. He's a really nice guy. I see him, you know, quite often. I my mother, So my mother in law and my father in law are really really been my family over the last twenty six years. In my because I it was the first time I'd ever had a relationship. Like when I moved to New York, I remember like we would go on the road and my wife would call and say, oh, you know, we're going home in a couple of days. My mom went by the apartment. She cleaned it up, and she like restocked the groceries and she, you know, just stuff there. And I was legitimately thinking like, like what's her fucking angle, you know, like why would somebody do that? And she's like, well, she loves us, and she's doing it because you know, she cares about us. And I that was just foreign to me. And I, you know, when I grew up, my mother was young. She admitted, you know, she had like I said, she had my sister at sixteen, had me in twenty one. There's a whole part of her youth that she felt like she missed out on. Then when I was like twelve, she got cancer. They thought she was going to die. They give her six months to live, and she beat it, and then she got it again, and then she beat it. And I think that all the time in between those moments, she was just out there making up for lost time. And so that required her to be really really selfish at a time when I needed her not to be. And so I just never had the experience of someone maternal having that kind of care, like maternal care and so ever. You know, ever since, like my mother in law has become one of my my dearest friends in the world. We spend a lot of time together, just her and I. We go to shows together, we go out to dinner, we hang out all the time. And so I, you know, got to got to really estee what I was like. So it just my I never really mind my actually with except my sister. I never really found it in my actual family.
Speaker 1: So when you were growing up, was your father in the picture?
Speaker 2: Now I found out litter. I mean, I think my dad was scared of my mom in a lot of ways, you know, they she was volatile, and I guess I didn't know at the time, like I was, I didn't have my dad's number. I didn't know why. And it turned out because I had it, that my mom would get it. Then she might start calling at three o'clock in the morning, you know, and harassing him or whatever. But I didn't know any of these things. I just felt like my dad wasn't around because he just wasn't around. And then I think I got I got to a certain point where I learned how to live on my own. I mean, like literally on my own. Like I left home at like seventeen, I was living, you know, in friends cars and on friends park benches. And the next thing I knew that I was in a band. I was living on friends couches, and then we were playing shows, and then I never I learned how to not need someone, and so then by the time my dad kind of came back around, which honestly wasn't until I started to do well in music. By the time he came back around, I just didn't need that anymore. That wasn't what I was looking for in a relationship, you know. And I don't know, I'm sure I missed out on some things, but I learned to be pretty self sufficient as well. And I learned how to make a lot of lemonade out of limits when I needed to.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're close to your sister. Your father comes back in the picture. You see your sister's father. Are they a asking for money? B Do you support them?
Speaker 2: No, My sister has once begrudgingly asked me for money and then paid me back. My sister's father's never asked me for anything at all. And I said this is just a genuinely one of the best people that has ever existed in the world. And I think, you know her and I we're victims of a trauma together, you know, like we went through a lot and through that with our mother, you know, and she a lot, a lot of kind of rage and violence and uncertainty and being gone for days and days and us being alone and hunkering down together. That makes you really really close, and so the two of us, it drives her husband insane. So my sister ran away from home at seventeen years old married her twenty one year old boyfriend, which is a recipe for disaster, except for the fact that they've now been married for over forty years. They're one of the closest couples I know. They have kids, their kids have kids, They're a great success story. And so it drives them insane because when the two of us get together and we just start telling these stories about our childhood but with a very nonchalant kind of thing, and he's just like, the fuck, where the fuck did you look? What is this your life? You know? So we both realized that we kind of we kind of share that.
Speaker 1: So how old were you when you moved from South Carolina to Florida.
Speaker 2: Let's see. I think I was in I want to say, six or seventh grade middle school.
Speaker 1: So you're living with your mother. Grandmother is quite a character. Father's not around. Does this impact your identity in school? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean in a lot of ways. I you know, my mom at the time. So my mom, you know, single, So she's dating a lot of guys and then kind of become we become whatever she was dating at the time. Does that make sense? So like when she's dating a biker, we're all bikers right now, and she's dating like a businessman, then we're all, you know, we need to come on, act like people. Come on. I think, you know, having all of this weird turmoil at home with my mom, I was acting out a lot in school. I didn't it really hit me. I think when I was in like ninth grade and a guidance counselor pulled me aside and had me come into her office and said, so, you know, you can answer this however you want, but are your parents alcoholics? And I was like, I don't. My mom drinks a lot, you know, and she just kind of pegged me as this very this is this is this type of personality, the type personality comes from this kind of a situation. I was definitely every I went to a lot of schools. We moved around a lot within Florida. But every school I went to, I was the kid who was squandering his potential, you know, because I was the kid who tested through the roof whenever we do aptitude tests. But I never applied myself in anything whatsoever. I you know, when I showed up at all, I would I was more disruptive than anything else. I would already like starting to play music. I had someone I ran into that was in a class with me in ninth grade that I was explaining to my algebra teacher that I didn't need algebra because I was going to be a musician and so I didn't really have to worry about that. And then she's like, well, who's going to count all your money? And I was like, my accountant is going to count all my money. It turns out I was right about that.
Speaker 1: So you were that kid? Did you have friends? Were you popular? Were the loner or the guy who fought? What kind of kid were you like in school?
Speaker 2: I was all of those things like I didn't have a clique, but I got along very easily, which I think is another trade of children of alcoholics. I got along very easily with every group. So like on a Saturday night, I could go to pretty much any group of party and I would be able to come in. I knew people pretty much everywhere there. But like you know, this group of friends on Saturday afternoons would all get together and meet up and go to the beach. I was never part of that group, but they would get together on Friday night and go to movie. I wasn't part of that group. But if there was like a general collection, I was always welcome in any of those studies. You know.
Speaker 1: And at that point you're in high school, was there enough money that if you needed something your mother could buy it for you. It was always like an issue having money to get shit.
Speaker 2: We had money, but it was mom. It wasn't she was big on spending money on herself. Honestly, like my drives my wife insane because she'll talk about like she did this, and I was like, yeah, I never get to do that. I never get to do this. I never got to get this. I was I think it manifested itself a lot too, and like I got into a lot of trouble. I got arrested quite a bit. I started to really get like my first I got arrested for the first time ever for arm to burglary.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell us this story.
Speaker 2: It sounds worse than it is. Honestly it was. It's the thing where we would break into people's homes that we knew and rearrange their furniture. You know, we never really stole anything, well I can't. Sometimes we would like steal a beer. You know, it was we And honest when I say this, Bob, I want you to understand now. I realized that that if you're a homeowner and you come home and that's how it's you feel violated, you know what I mean, Like, it's a horrible if I grew up.
Speaker 1: Too, is the same thing. One time we went away and somebody came in stole Magical Mystery Tour which had just come out, and my father's changed first, nothing else. They just wanted to break And I know exactly what you're talking about. But if it's armed, Rob, where's the gun?
Speaker 2: Well, the gun was in the home. And honestly, it was a very scary moment when I think about it, because the guy that when the guys I was with found this gun, was kind of fucking around with it. He's like, no, there's nothing in here, and he was pointed at me and I'm like, dude, just don't whatever, I don't trust it, don't point it at me. And he went like this and he shot it and it shot through the through the wall, and I was like, holy fuck, and he put the gun back. So because there now there this was a break in, but a gun was involved, which made it an armed burglar not an armed robbery. There's a very big difference. And so I got arrested. I remember, I remember what this is one of the few moments where I and I think it was again because my mother was dating a respectable guy, and so because of that, he went the guy she was dating on my court date to find out what my fate was going to be, went out and got me like a suit, the jacket and a tie, you know, court suit, and then then let me know as we're about to leave that they just were holding on him to make me feel nervous because they had already gotten the word back. I wasn't going to jail I had a certain amount of community hours and this thing on my record up until I was like eighteen, and then that was the only thing that was going to happen. And I just remember, like I still had the picture of me in that suit with this look on my face and just like ah, like you know, and that was one of the I think. I mean, I'm not sure. I don't think that was a seminal point in my life. I mean, I didn't change anything at that point, but it was definitely it's a vivid memory that I what.
Speaker 1: Did your mother say when you got arrested.
Speaker 2: I don't think she was surprised. I mean I wasn't hanging out with the like you know, when your mom always tells you, you keep hanging out with those guys, you're gonna you're gonna wind up dead or in jail. I mean she knew that, and luckily it was jail.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned a number of rests. What were the other arrests?
Speaker 2: Uh? I got arrested once for Steele in a car. I gotta I almost got to wrest with once for Steele in a house, which is kind of weird, like somebody had like gone on vacation and So the neighbor was a friend of mine, and the neighbor like broke into the house and they just but through a fucking rager of a party. I mean, like cars around the block, like not subtle in any way whatsoever. And I attend this party. But then I wake up and me and this girl are like the only people in the house, and there's cops beating on the bedroom door. So then it's just me, and I'm like, so I just tell the cops that I'm from Alabama, that I just came in to meet a friend, you know, and I'll go get my friend. And I went out the door and I just ran as far as I could. And that's the last I've heard of that situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you ended up dropping out of high school, tell us about that.
Speaker 2: I dropped out of high school. I got my ged only because I thought that I was going to join the army. Like I went to the army recruitment place I took I guess what's called the ASPAB, which is just like your placement for you know, your aptitude tests to join the army. Turns out it's not a it's not a very high bar. And I fucking aced it. I got like a ninety nine or something on it, and it was incredible, and they we're very excited, but they said, you know you, but you have to have a high school diploma, so you have to go. So I went. I didn't I didn't take the class or anything. I just went and got a ged and then luckily in that time, I met this group of guys. They were older, they were seniors in high school age, and I was in freshman in high school age, maybe a junior, because at this point, at some point I left school. But then I tried to come back, like in the tenth Like I left like maybe the beginning of tenth grade, and I tried to come back by the beginning of junior year kind of thing. But it didn't last long, and I wound up, you know, meeting these guys. One of them was graduating that year and going to Berkeley the next year.
Speaker 1: Berkeley College of Music and Music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Berkeley ee of Boston that my son later graduated from. And so it was through them that like I started like learning how to He would give me all of his music books, so I would learn like chord structure and some music theory, you know, mixed with you know, with practical books of how to play music and teaching myself song by song, you know, every chord and every notation in this song that I know, and then this song and you know, and just keep doing that and doing that. I wasn't really writing yet. I was singing songs that these guys were writing, or we were doing covers and playing like eighteen and underclubs in Florida, you know, those kind of a and it just I mean, that was just it. That was I felt like this was what I wanted to do. I knew it immediately from the first time that I just started playing. I was like this, they just spoke to me, you know, And yeah, I mean I think it wasn't for that. I mean, honestly, I was the only reason I wanted to join the Army was because when you were in when we were in high school, where did you grow up?
Speaker 1: Connecticut?
Speaker 2: All right? So I don't know if they did this in Connecticut, but like there would be a day once a year where you go out to like the pavilion or wherever outdoors, you know, lunch section or maybe in the cafeteria, and there was a band set up, like a full band. They're playing like you're like hits from today, but they're all in Army fatigues and they're all the Army band.
Speaker 1: You know, I went to high school in the Vietnam era. Believe me, that wasn't happening.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, So this was like their recruitment catch. It was like, hey, look how fucking cool the Army is. Man. We're laid back, We're just like you. We're playing Terrence Trent Darby man, you know, like we're fucking we're playing the cure like this is where your people. You can come to the Army. You want to do this? And I was like, oh that shit worked on me immediately. I was like, oh, I could be this this, but I can all but I can join the Army and and have a you know, figure out what I'm going to do with my life and my even though my dad, who was in the Army, the only piece of advice he ever gave me was never joined the army. And I was this close to. I was this close to doing it. Like those recruitment videos, man, they really do work. If you're out of options.
Speaker 1: Usually, once they get their hooks in you, they don't let you go that easily. Usually they track you down to try to join. When you said you weren't going to join, they keep coming after you.
Speaker 2: I think it's a lot easier to track you now. Well now it's a lot easier in general, but it's a lot easier if you haven't addressed like you know, I was pretty fluid at the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where did this music thing start?
Speaker 2: I really don't know. I mean, I I remember, like my sister saying that when I was like ten, eight to ten, I would I would like write little songs and I would put on little shows for my parents, you know, or for my sister for like cause it was okay, this is another story that's going to sound satisfyed, but I there's no other way to tell it. So, like one of the things was, like, you know, growing up, when I was in like, you know, eighth grade, beginning ninth grade, my mom, you know, she'd be out, she would meet some guys. She'd bring them home and then wake me up at you know, one in the morning to like keep him company and like go play a song on your keyboard. So I'm like performing for some stranger while my mom goes and changes I goes. It was a weird kind of thing, but it it gave me the sense of like, oh wow, like this is this is where my mom has her pride in me, you know. And so when I perform that mean you know that that's I get this rush of endorphins of like, oh, you know, I feel and that never went away, that you know, that need for you know, for that I that what is it? Robin Williams caught it like the the kind of love that you can only the kind of a hug that you can only get from a stranger, you know, like I learned to I learned to really crave that, uh during that time. But I think it was, you know, maybe the fact that it was these guys that I met to me they were really cool. Like they weren't degenerates like my other group of friends. They were they still had fun, They still were out drinking, they were partying, they were doing but they there was a wholesome noess about it, and there was a camaraderie and a fraternal order to it that was really really cool, you know. And uh and so and they like when I would talk about, you know, well, we're gonna go out and we're gonna you know, like we're gonna vandalize this, and we're gonna do this there would they looked at me with like such disappointment, like, oh, come on, man, that's not not cool, you know, And I wanted to I wanted them to like me, you know, this older group of guys that thought I was cool. I wanted them to like me. So I think, you know, just like everybody else, I you could trace everything back to needing some you get something you need from from a situation, and you keep chasing that feeling, you know. And so music really I felt I felt that like that that little missing piece they kept every time I was around music, every time I was playing music. It kind of filled that hole for me a little bit, and still does.
Speaker 1: Honestly, what about music lessons learning how to play the piano, the guitaris.
Speaker 2: I wish that I had taken them, honestly. I mean, I I'm a pretty good piano player. I wish that I had taken piano because it wouldn't take me as long to get it, you know, to get better at it. I wish I had taken guitar, but I'm like a really shitty guitar player. Like at some point, if I'm writing a song on the guitar, I might have to put it down and go to the piano because I hit, I hit a chord that I know that I want to get to, but I don't know it on the on the guitar. You know, Like, now I've got it down to a science where I could play in front of twenty thousand people, and if I know the song, I will fool even you to look like I know what the hell I'm doing, you know, but I tell everybody. You know, when you always get asked questions about advice for young musicians things like that, it's like, no matter how uncool it seems, go take the lessons, learn the road, you know, like learn and learn all of these basic things that's going to make your life so much easier. And no matter how cool the guitarist, start on the piano, because if you start on the piano, you can pivot to almost any instrument because the music makes more sense to you. It's laid out on the piano the same way it is on the page. And you know, if you know what I'm saying, like there's a there's a certain sense where the skills are all just right there in front of you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna go in the army. You meet these guys going to Berkeley. So what's the next step. How do you ultimately perform?
Speaker 2: Well, we play a lot of like, you know, friends parties, Like I said, these kind of like.
Speaker 1: And what's your role? Are you the front guy.
Speaker 2: On the front guy? Like? Okay? Our songs are like Hunger, like the Wolf Lady in Red's Tall Cool and remember the Robert Plant solo Tall Cool One. I'm only saying these to give you a sense of reference of the time, right this absolutely these kind of eighty songs mixed in with stuff like old time rock and roll and things that we ass like we gotta we gotta gig one time. One of the fun of the times I quit school is because all Right, the keyboard player, his family knew how had family friends that owned a sheraton in Vero Beach and needed a band to play by the pool. And so we were the pool band in this sheraton in Vero Beach. And then we got to stay at the hotel and we imploded within a week. Within a week, we had figured out how to break in to steal all the liquor from the places I was. I was, I was sleeping with the owner's daughter. Like the whole thing just fell around us. And I remember the owner she had like broken English, and she was like pulled us in and they're just so disappointed and yelling at us across the dead and she's just going, you you are not the stars. Maybe one day, one day you will be the stars. But right now, you are not the stars. And we got fired from that. So we were doing these kind of gigs and then I like they went off. We had a band called Tidal Wave, which was a we would play metal clubs and it was all like punk versions of like surf songs. So it was like like the covers would be like Wily Bully, but like these like amped up versions of Willly Bully. And it was a bunch of these guys from Jersey that had come down. So this was like after the guy went to Berkeley the first year, he came back in the summer and brought some guys from Berkeley back. We started Tidal Wave, these guys from Jersey that had never been to the fucking beach, writing all these songs about like Johnny's Got a Wave and me and my surfer girl. They were all these you know, and we would play these metal band metal clubs, and the metal clubs would love us because we had so much energy. We were just fucking running and jumping on the bar and just like fucking ah, and they just thought it was, you know, the greatest thing in the world. They didn't like the music, and so we had that going. Eventually, that whole thing, you know, it was it was just kind of dependent on them when they were home for the summers and things like that. And so I started to just get jobs, like normal jobs, restaurants, a lot of construction in Florida, like working as a roofer and drywall and painting and those kind of things. And then I started writing again on my piano. I was hitchhiking a little bit here and there. I had this little keyboard that I still have over here that I was like on the I remember, like three o'clock in the morning, I would sit on the side of the road my little keyboard, you know, working out songs. Three Am was a song that came during that time. And so I meet with a couple of guys that are local guys who we started talking about starting a band. I really really started to get into the idea. I started writing a few more songs, and we put an ad out in the local jam magazine, which was like the regional you know, rock magazine for a drummer. I had met Brian, our bass player already, this guy John and Jay who are these two guitar players when we'd just gone to Berkeley, and Paul, who later again became my best friend, who was our drummer for twelve years, answered the ad and that was how Matchbox twenty we were tabbing the Secret at the time. And then that was like that was when we were the first like band where it was like we were doing gigs on the rag. We were playing regionally. We'd get the band and trailer and go play gigs in Tennessee and go play gigs in North Carolina and South Carolina. We had become like kind of the big local band, which doesn't mean a lot, It just means that like sometimes if like Hoody and the Blowfish, you know, they were just blowing up at the time, if they would come through town and didn't have an opener, we would be the band that they would get called to come in and open up. So we get to do it like we put like we opened for Ween one time, which is great, we opened for Cake like there's things great, you know, for us, and then that band imploded as bands due but luckily the three of us still me, Brian and Paul still kind of shared a vision. And then that's when I meet Matt Serlenik, who at the time it just had some success with Collective Soul and was looking for a new band. His brother went to college in Orlando, saw our band. Matt came to check us out. He signed me to a production deal, and then Atlantic Records wanted to sign me to deal through him, and I was a little scared to sign my own deal. So my only prerequisite was that I would do it, but I had to do it with Paul and Brian. So the three of us had a deal before we had a name, and then we uh, we signed. We signed the deal. We find we go in a search, We find these two guitar players that that we really like and we get along with. And then I it became very litigious this situation with the other two guitar players. I didn't understand copyrights, and so one of the guys in this band would take all these songs that I had written, draw up copyright forms and bring them in for us all to sign, and so I just would sign away, you know, three quarters to you know, to everybody else in the band. And so they were kind of holding those songs over me when I got the deal, and like, we're gonna sue you because these are our things. And and so the only thing I could think to do was I just wrote another record, so like and thank god, because that first record wasn't great. Like they always say that you have your whole life up to write your first record and that's why the second record is so hard. But in all honesty, Bob, I wrote my first record was my second record, and I had six months to write it. So we would just spend all of our time because we knew that we didn't have a lot of money to be in a studio, even though we had more than we thought, like we got like four hundred thousand dollars or something, you know, for the deal to go make the record. We spend it all almost all in the record in gear, but we wanted to be able to step in there, so we would spend hours every day in like a actual shed, shedding these songs so that we could play them live. I would write a new song, we'd bring it into the band. We would learn that song so we could play it off book like, you know, not spend too much time in the studio. And so by the time we went in the studio that that whole first yourself or someone like you was all written. And the only thing that I kept was three Am, just because that song meant a lot to me. And you know, it's funny is to this day like Pooky from Matchbox all them any proceeds he gets heat because he thinks it's ridiculous. He didn't write it. So any proceeds gets from three Am, he gives it to charity.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back. You signed a deal with Matt Surletic, yes or no?
Speaker 2: Yes, a production deal?
Speaker 1: Okay? Was that just you or was that the three of you?
Speaker 2: It was the three of us? It was all around the same time. So we signed with them. We signed with Atlantic Atlantic. It turns out, so Matt was going to produce the record. Atlantic Records wasn't as comfortable about giving these three guys from Florida four hundred thousand dollars, but they were more comfortable doing it through Matt Serletic and his production companies since they had, you know, a collective Soul was on Atlantic at the time, so they had already had some success with Matt. So that was where the production deal had come in. Was they weren't ready to secure a straight deal with US in Atlantic, but they were willing to do it as a production deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, Traditionally traditional production deal, you're signed to production company. Production makes a deal with Atlantic and they take a whack, so the act actually makes less. Is that what happened throughout your career.
Speaker 2: Up into a certain point, Like I mean, Matt still gets money whether he produces a record or not, that's always in the deal. But he found us, and then that's that we agreed. That's why you agree on those things early on, because you're hoping for the success, not that when the success comes later you're like, oh, we have to read you know. But you know, to Matt's credit, he did change his payment fee so that because it turns out like if we were splitting money and he was getting paid like on the gross, he would make more money than any individual member, right. And when we kind of sat and talked with him, because it man had him with us for many years. Matt restructured his deal so that he was just a six member and then everything we do would be equal. And that was fine because you know, we were and now this is the time, you know, we were playing live. We're making most of our money live and merchandising and publishing. That was money he wasn't seeing. So that was I thought that was really big of him.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about the publishing? Do you own all the publishing?
Speaker 2: I own what I haven't sold?
Speaker 1: Was that a little bit slower? When you made the deal with Matsroletic and ultimately Link, did you have to give up any publishing?
Speaker 2: No? None.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you own a one hundred percent of the public machine you have sold some of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm now I've made a deal with Roundhill where I sold off like seventy percent. I still retain thirty because I still want to participate in success, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to be clear, seventy percent of the songs or seventy percent of the record royalties are.
Speaker 2: Both just just the songwriting publishing part of it.
Speaker 1: How long would you make that deal?
Speaker 2: Right before COVID? I think so, I would say twenty nineteen to the twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're happy you made that deal five years later?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, like I I was, I had been with you know, with with uh EMI for a really long time, and I start to find that, like as you know, as we get older and you fall out of favor a giant corporation like that, when they start thinking about songs for sak when they start thinking about the artists either at the top of their mind, I don't it's hard for you to be there anymore because they have the fresh and the new, you know, And so I thought it was a really good time for me to kind of be a part of a smaller family that was thinking about me a little bit more. And Evan Lamberg had already left and gone off to Universal, and Evan, you know, was my main reason for signing with EMI in the first place. So it you know, it was an easy decision to make. Even though the EMI guys, which later on became EMI Sony, they've always been amazing. So what you do with the money, I don't have to tell you that.
Speaker 1: You have to tell me anything.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I listen, I've I've my wife and I we were we're really well invested. We we were not crazy spenders. We're not we don't take a lot of risks are investing. You know, we've we've managed to maintain and grow everything really really well. So you know, like it's we're not I'm never really I never thought about money as the means to own anything. It was always like money was a means for experiences, you know, like I would I would. I love being able to take vacations with my family and take people out. I love being able to go to nice dinners and bring everybody together and have this moment. But I don't really need to own very much. You know, we have a nice house, we have a nice car in the garage. That's we're good, you know where we need to be. I don't like, I don't mean much status symbol.
Speaker 1: Well, let me put it a different way. You get a big check, did you buy anything or you just invest all of it?
Speaker 2: No, I just it just went back in the pile with the rest. I mean, I already I've already been like we'd already done been doing really really well. This was just a it was just kind of one of those things of like, well let's let's look at the landscape of music. Let's let's start to understand the power of your catalog back when, but even just when you could when the greatest hits made sense, right, which you know now the greatest hits is it doesn't exist anymore because I can get your greatest hits. I can just go on Spotify and I make your greatest hits, which every way I want to, I can find everything that's out there. The the value is probably you know, it still exists in sync and things like that. But for that for that stuff to be valuable, people need to be working it and people need to you know, to be actively working on your catalog. And so that to me was I think was the reason, Like it just doesn't have the value the ownership of it. The songs are still there, and that connection that I have every night, like we're gonna have a show at the Prudential Center Thursday, that connection is still going to be there. That doesn't go away. And that's the one you know, that I own forever. There's not really more that I have the benefit from from owning that publishing, and I think a lot of artists are starting to realize that now as well. You hear about these maze you know, people like Springsteen, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, so your songs round he'll own seventy percent. Is there anything you say that they can't do with them?
Speaker 2: I have? Yeah. I have the complete right to say no to any like if they want to use it in some way that I don't want. I have the complete say over how they get used.
Speaker 1: Just generally speaking, what would you say no to?
Speaker 2: The first thing that popping in mind would probably be something political that I don't agree with, like that, you know, that would be a problem for me. You know, maybe certain uh, pharmaceutical you know, commercials, maybe that I don't officially totally agree with. You just you never know when just something's going to be like I do. I don't like that look for me, you know, Like I'm not like Carlos and I always joke like we're not we're not ready for Smooth to be an x Lax commercial just yet, like we gotta we gotta call once where it was like it was a commercial for Smooth and it was like a Mercedes commercial, but it was kind of like the Vibe where the guys listening to Smooth and then the hot girl goes by and listening to Maria Cabo or whatever, you know, and and we're like, yeah, no, like that's you know, that's that's We're not ready to put that nail in that coffin just yet. You know, we're still we're still trying to keep the illusional. But the third time, when smooth comes back around, you know, and it's cool again.
Speaker 1: How'd you hook up with Michael Lipman who's on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: He was managing Macheletic because he managed his producers at the time as well. Michael had had a lot of success, but the only thing that he had never done was take a band from zero. He never had a brand new band, and that was just something he always wanted to do, and so he took us on as that project. He honestly, it was so similar in everything that we did. He came to see us the first time he ever saw us play live, walked backstage and said, well, how much money did you get from your publishing And I said, well, I think I got about four hundred thousand. He goes, My advice to you is put that money away and invested, because it's all the money you're ever going to see. If this is how you think a show should be played. And then he quit and he walked out of the room. And then and then we called him and begged them to come back. And then I think like a week later he I got into a fight because he I just didn't think that it mattered what clothes you wore in a video. I was like, nobody cares about what they you know, you wear, and Mike was like, last night, He's like, he tell me always the story, Like, you know, you know Bruce Springsteen. You think that Bruce Springstein just wears any jeans and any T shirt. He's like, you don't think that he's got the exact right teams and the exact you know is the trust me. Everybody cares. It just depends on how you show it, you know. And I remember walking out of the restaurant fucking you, fuck you. You know. We quit on each other quite a few times. But he's been very much a paternal figure throughout my entire life.
Speaker 1: Okay. What I remember was, especially in LA, there ended up being an acoustic version of Push, which they played in a top forty on the FM station. Was that an anomaly? Although there are you know, once Napster hit, there were a million versions now on YouTube. Is that a factor in the success of Push, the acoustic version?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was a product of it Push. I mean the reason why Push was a success is because it was nineteen ninety six ninety seven and Dave Rossi, who ran I think the edge in Birmingham, Like it was at a time where if you're a programmed director of a record of a radio station, you could play something because you liked it. You know, there wasn't like a formatted you know, you weren't part of a conglomerate. It wasn't formatted what you needed to play. And he on his own, like we put that long day, the label put money into it, we made a video, it was on MTV. The song just tanked, it didn't do well, and Dave Rossi just started playing Push on his own and in Birmingham it became the number one song. Like we were playing everywhere to like moderate people. And then we showed up Birmingham. There's a line around the block to see us play. And Atlantic was we were on the chopping block to begin with, because the day our record came out was the day lava folded into it. Atlantic. It was Jason and Atlantic took Jason Flohm into Atlantic, and they absolved just a couple of bands. It was like Us, Sugar, Ray, Kid Rock and Edwin McCain. I want to say I like the bands that they kept, but we all knew that we were on the chopping block, and so when long they didn't work out, it was like, oh, like we were just waiting for the call any day, and because of Push, they were like, let's let's just give this single a chance. And then everything from that moment on was just exponentially. Every week we just started to get bigger and bigger and bigger.
Speaker 1: Okay, you had success and it was Matchbox with the number two. Oh and then it was changed to spelled twe n t y. What was that about?
Speaker 2: Paul? I just liked the way it looked better, Like it was funny that we weren't. I think Michael made more of a deal of it than and like put out like a release and all this stuff like that wasn't anything that we did. Michael was just always trying to find a way to get somebody to write about us, you know, and like I remember like seeing that, like I guess in Touch magazine or in Style whatever, they would always have like a loser of the week, and we were the loser of the week because we we made a joke that we thought was clearly a joke that we were we were so tired of being compared to bands like Some forty one and Blink one eighty two, which was so obvious we'd never have in our entire life. And so I guess whoever heard that rote like as if da da da da da, and we're just like, oh, you have no sense of humor at all, you know, you don't get us at all. So yeah, it was that was an aesthetic choice, just purely an aesthetic choice. And we and we still keep it. We just like the way it looks better. We like twenty written out, and we like it in a lowercase bawd. That's just the kind of people we are.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me. The story behind Push Push.
Speaker 2: Was just a song about manipulation, you know, about power in a relationship, about how people can use you know, the fact that they know that someone loves you and they can use that to manipulate you, and how sometimes you get so used to it that you can mistake that for love. Sometimes. It was written about a situation that I was in at the time where I was the I feel like I was, you know, the one. But I also didn't feel like anybody wanted to hear a song with a guy bellowing about being a victim. So it was kind of like written as a third third party, you know, like she said, I don't know if you know it's fact. It was almost like a fly on the wall of me looking at this relationship, you know, And there was a little blowback I think at the time. I mean, it was a pretty aggressive I think in that kind of nineties manufactured angst kind of way that a lot of us were, you know, it was in that kind of like well this is how we expressed ourselves. No no, no, no, no, no no. But it was genuine, you know, like it came from a real place in melody and lyric wise, and it scratched that it's at the time, it's it's a I mean, obviously for so many reasons, it's been a really important song. It's an amazing thing now to see, you know, fourteen and fifteen year olds like kind of light up when we play it at a show, maybe partially because of Barbie.
Speaker 1: You know, what was the real situation that inspired the song.
Speaker 2: Uh. I mean I think that you know, if you're if you were me at that time, and like you your prospects were potential, right like, if this whole thing that you're working on works out, within the sky's the limit. But chances are, like everybody likes to tell you it's not going to you know, because it doesn't. You know, it doesn't work out ninety percent of the time, and so you know, if it hadn't worked out, I would be the guy just living on my friends couches. So any relationship that I was in, I didn't have a whole lot of control over it, you know. I was always just kind of being led by my emotions and just lucky if somebody felt like somebody liked me and wanted to spend time with me, and so that would always put me in a position where I could be manipulated very very easily or discarded, you know, because I didn't really I didn't. I wasn't someone that I think that I wasn't so many that people took like a serious person.
Speaker 1: You know, you wrote the first album very quickly because you discarded the songs with a previous band. How much pressure did you feel on the follow up album.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know at first none. I mean I think you know the whole idea when you're young and you're doing something like this, it's that native atay, right, it's the what you don't know or you don't realize it actually gives you the strength to kind of go like, of course I'm gonna make it. You got to have you have to have a little bit of narcissism because you have to believe that other people should listen to what it is you have to say. And you have to like suspend disbelief to some degree because you have to believe against all odds that you're you're going to be the one of the ones that make it. Of course you are. When the first record, though, did so well, it worked the opposite way because when you get that kind of success right off the bat, everybody is like, well, that's not going to happen, and it doesn't. I mean, they're right, you're not going to sell twenty million records again and fifteen million records again. But it's pretty much a guarantee that oh that's a you know, if not a one hit wonder, that's a one record you know moment and that was that time in the nineties. There's a lot of bands selling ten million records. Back then, the presidents of the United States of America just on Lump and Peaches sold ten million records, you know. And then so everybody would like to let you know, it's probably not going to happen. So then you're like, oh, well, shit, maybe it's not gonna happen. I knew that I was writing some really good stuff. I had already written Bent. I knew that Bent, you know it was a good song. I knew that if You're Gone was a good I knew that these songs were solid. I also knew that that didn't necessarily matter. I think that magic moment of smooth right in the middle was a huge thing that kind of kept people's eyes on, well, let's give it a chance and see what happens. And then so then we're at the very beginning of the early odds. We put out our first single on the second record, and it's our first number one hit, like our first actual number one song, and that felt good. And then that record did amazingly well for especially for that that being in that situation as sophomore record and going, ah, you know, four singles deep in there. That was the moment where I kind of felt like we really started to build a career. You know, like if you on your first you have some success on your first record. I mean, that's that's a journey, that's an adventure, and it buys you a ticket to get in to see how you could if you can take the ride, and then you get on the ride, and then you know, we didn't throw up. You know, we held it together, We mastered the ride, and by the time we got into our third record, we were the band that we wanted to be. Like that third record with bride lights and unwell and sounds like so sad, so like that was like all we felt like, this is this really feels like we've kind of settled into the adult versions of the band that we want to be and we were allowed that. We were allowed allowed to do that, by the way, which is you know, it doesn't you're not always lucky enough to you know, a lot of bands find their stride, you know, three four records in, but they don't get that opportunity to now as much as they used to then. So we're really really fortunate because even then, I mean then wasn't now, But without that success that would have happened, we would have been dropped probably what you know, if Push had never happened, we would have been dropped and never really gotten to figure out what our true potential was.
Speaker 1: Now, eventually the landscape changes completely, but the hits are not as many at number? How does that feel? How do you cope with that? Emotionally fine?
Speaker 2: I mean, we're it's it doesn't take a genius to realize, like there's a moment where we're still doing well. Third record, we're still doing well, and we don't sound like everything else that's on the radio around us. Like if you look at a screenshot, it's like Nelly, you know, it's a bunch of like Southern rabbits and then unwell, as you know, it's kind of in there. But you don't have to be a genius to to listen to music and go like, oh, well, this isn't what we're doing, you know, like this this is not this aesthetic like we give part of it, you know, having talent, having good songs has to be it. But also for some sort of success, your aesthetic has to fit the aesthetic of what kind of what's happening right then in the zeitgeist, and that was something that happened for us at that time when it went over like we we didn't. Also, we didn't love everything those popular, so we were kind of glad that we didn't sound like that, and we weren't going to go chasing that sound. And so I think one of the things that we did early on was we we were very very conscious of trying not to sound anything like what was happening on the radio, but also not sound like our previous records, and realized that at this point we'd love it if you know, if you can if you have some success on the radio. But we had massed a group of people who had an interest in what it is. We had to say, you know, let's just let's tend to that garden all the time. Let's make sure that we keep these people to good with us. And over the years, those people have brought their kids, and their kids are bringing their kids. And I mean when we were really, really young, if you would have told us at the very very beginning, when we were super hungry, that you know, eventually you're going to have a career, but it's going to come along with a sense of nostalgia. We would have thought that was sad, and then we realized that, like, you know, that's that is ninety percent of the favorite music and bands that we've grown up with that have a career to this day. There you know, so many bands out there, there are still they go out on tour, they're still selling ten thousand seats, They're still enjoying a really good life. Their songs are being place to put you know what I mean. They're just not a part of this immediate conversation anymore. And almost nobody, I mean you have. I call them the one percent, you know, these beyonces, these tailors that are usually successful, and every time they do something, they maintain a part of that conversation, right, And that seems tiring. It seems like it takes an entire village to make that happen, you know, and it certainly doesn't sound like something that happens by doing the thing that I love, which is sitting in my studio writing and writing until I get a song that really excites me, following that thread, making that into a record like that, to me is the thing that I love about it. And that's how I wound up getting to where I got to. It's just that no matter what I do, like, I'm not going to be that part of that conversation anymore. And that's okay. In fact, I don't even know what it would be like, because that conversation now is happening on such a broader, wider level, Like you know, I think about it like how we used to. We used to have this point of entrigue when you put out a record of music that was kind of like a funnel, and you and your label and your team would get together and you'd be like, well, we're gonna release this song at this time on this place, and then we're gonna put it out everywhere, and you have control over every little aspect, you know. And it was so even when you you were like really really famous, you were in a smaller playing field. Like what you and I talked about earlier in this conversation was a much smaller playing field that was out there. Now that that funnel is a callnder and you put something in it and it just goes where it goes and it comes in and you don't have really I don't know what. I don't know what it's like to be famous. I know, what it's like to have some famous music. I know what it's like to be famous in the room that I rented, you know, I know what it's famous to be like to be famous in front of that twenty thousand people that came to see me do this thing. But I don't know what it's like to be famous in that sense where like my life is scrutinized this whole, you know, like it's your brand. Somebody the other day was like, why don't you have sneakers with the name on because I'm not sneaker famous, motherfucker. Like that's not something you just do, you know, you just side and I'm mak a sneakers, I'm a name on them.
Speaker 1: Let's switch gears. It's the twenty fiftheen verse we of Smooth. According to Billboard, it's the third most played song in history, after Blinding Lights by the Weekend and The Twists by Chubby Checker. He started to tell the story, tell the story now, how smooth came to.
Speaker 2: Be well, first of a fucking good for the Weekend, right, Like, just jump right up there pretty damn quick. I you know, originally I was just supposed to write smooth. I wasn't going to be a singer on it. I just sang on the demo and I was even in Carla in Clive's office having the conversations about who was going to sing it. You know, we flirted around. I flirted around George Michael. I really wanted George to do it. I think bon Jovi's name came up at some point and it was Carlos, who had no idea who I was, but liked my voice on the demo. That was like, well, let's does he sing? And they're like, yeah, he's in a band, you know, and it call us a like He's like, I I believe him, Let's just have him do it. And then that was kind of it. I Mean, the funniest part of that whole thing is the twenty five years later now, you know, I'll still have nights till midnight where my wife's laughing because me and Carlos are still up texting each other, you know, stupid videos and songs and you know, fucking strange emojis and making plans to to do things that you know, records that were never gonna make. He's just become like one of my like one of my brothers. And in the relationship that I've wound up with with Clive Davis, who is my neighbor. But you know, Clive is like, if I make a new record, I've never I've never been on his label, never had anything to do with him, but he had me help honor him at Carnegie Hall about a month ago. If I make a new record, I go to client's house or his office and we sit and we listen to the record, you know, together. Like He's just been a real great mentor that I met at a time where I was much more porous than I probably am now and much more spongy, and so I you know, it was a really good time to meet those people in my life because I learned from Carlos early on the difference between being a famous musician and being a celebrity, and that being a famous musician is what you've always wanted. I want people to hear my music. I want more people to hear it. I want, you know, I want my song to be part of people's lives, and the way that my favorite music is a part of mine. And then the rest of it is all bullshit, like none of it really matters except for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, the band Matchbox twenty made a number of records. You've made solo records, You've gone on tour solo, You've gone with Matchbox twenty live. What does the future hold?
Speaker 2: I mean, right now I can only see right in front of my face. So next year is the twentieth anniversary of my first solo record, So I am just finishing, just finishing the writing, and we're deep into the recording of a new solo record. And then the very next year is the thirtieth anniversary of the first Matchbox twenty record, and we're trying to figure out what that means for us. We want to do something. We just toured last summer, which because I think because we hadn't been out in so many years, we hadn't been out since like twenty seventeen. I think it was one of our most successful tours in our entire career since the very very beginning. So the idea of like but we also made a record which we were planning on doing, but then COVID happened and we canceled a summer and we're like, well, if we're not going to tour, but we know that we're available, let's make a record. And we made a record that we're unbelievably proud of. But we also realized that we fucking hate making records together. Like it is just like a one giant argument. Like we as a band and get along unbelievable. Like if you come out you see us at a show, you would think that we all just became best friends, you know what I mean, Like we are this family. We're joking all the time. I don't think we've ever had a personal argument amongst us. Ever, it's always about creative direction. It's always about this will I see something this way and I see it this way? And you know, Paul always jokes that a Matchbox twenty song is the result of an argument between four people. And so I don't know, as we get older, that's something that we I mean, I'm not saying we wouldn't never record music, but we're not making an entire record again. Doesn't seem in the cards for us because we don't enjoy it. And frankly, we've worked hard enough in a teeth enough now where we don't have to do something if we don't enjoy it. But we enjoy playing, So I mean, maybe we'll maybe, you know, the landscape is different. Maybe for Matchbox that means we've put out a song and we just go out and tour maybe something special, maybe your residency at a casino, you know, maybe a specialty tour where it's just like one big show in big cities, you know, event shows. Like I don't know what that means yet, but right now I know that I just got to get this fucking record done by the end of this year. For my solo that's like, you know, like at the end of the day, you're still jobbing, you know, like you're still like, Okay, I've got this. I've given myself a deadline, and now I'm going to make that deadline happen because now Atlantic Records is going I want that record, and I'm lucky to you know, still have a label that wants that record.
Speaker 1: So okay, one final thing, it is almost impossible to make it. Luck definitely plays a factor. Hard work pays a factor, plays a factor with me. But in order to make it, you need to need it. You have to have this inner drive. To what degree is that a characteristic of yours?
Speaker 2: I think because like making it has changed over the years, you know, like we just talked about but I think I want to still feel to myself like I'm writing the best work that I can write right now. You know, like everything that I've done up until now, I can look back on it now and go like, oh, I would have changed this or would have done this. But I know in my heart that each one of those groups of songs I made the best record I could. I wrote the best songs that I could at that time. That's really my driving force now is I want to I want to write songs. I would love for people to connect with them, you know. I mean I love when I write a song and it's still something that somebody uses that they're their wedding or it's still something you know. But that's really the only success now because you never really know for the rest of our lives and my life, I can we can go out and play to shows. We can get people that are going to come see us play. Most of my favorite artists, you know, like like sometimes you're playing it, you know, you're playing like this casino and you're like are we casinos? And you look up like, oh, well, fuck, Elvis Costello was here last week. Fucking love Alice Costello and you know John legend was just here last you know, like, all right, you know this is I'm not the I think the the litmus test isn't isn't that anymore? Now? It's just like I just want to do good work. I just want to write, you know, I just want to write good songs, and I want to do well enough that I keep getting to do that. Like I guess one day if like I don't have a label, I don't know, Like, I'll tell you this, if for some reason, music stops being a viable career option for me, you will never see me again. I won't be on Dancing with the Stars, I won't be on you know, celebrity houseboat or fucking whatever. You know, like, I will not find another means for people to know who I am. If people stop knowing who I am because I make music, well, then lucky for them, they will never see me again. I will just be I'll just be quietly rich somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's that's now. Go back to the beginning. You're a high school drop out, You're.
Speaker 2: Playing in it was everything. If I don't make it, I don't survive like it was. And it's still it's easy for me on this side of the fence to tell somebody, you know, listen, if you're tenacious, dreams are gonna happen. You just have to stick with it. But that's not always true. And the fact is, without the luck factor, Like I believe that I write good songs, and I believe that I worked my ass off, and I believe that Matchbox twenty is, in my opinion, one of the greatest pop rock bands of all time, especially if you come see us live. But there's a lot of great fucking bands, and there's a lot of great songs, and there's a lot of people that with all of those things, they just didn't have that one lucky component, you know. And so you're still like, I could be fifty two years old having a conversation about my you know, my dad band that I'm in while I'm sleeping on my friend's couch, or you know, taking time for my dentistry practice or whatever, only I didn't even give. I didn't have a fallback, man, I like, you know, I didn't even have the dentistry practice to fall back on. I would have been working at my cousin's cleaners, you know, while I was still trying to get my band to work out. And it's never lost on me that it's a very fine line and that luck is that line between that happening. But the drive is just that you let everything else go, You let college go, you let getting into the ground floor of a career go. All of these other options are kind of going by, and you're like, no, I'm waiting on this. I'm waiting. It's kind of like you're just you're sitting at the at the bus stop and waiting for your friend to pick you up, and all of these buses come by and you're just like, no, I'm good, he'll come. He'll come, and you're just like, oh fuck, if he doesn't come home, I'm stranded, you know. And then for us, we just got lucky and he showed up and picked us up, and you know, we went on the ride.
Speaker 1: Needless to say, your dream came true. Rob, Thanks so much for taking the time to tell your story to my audience.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure, Bob. I've been reading you for years and years and it is an absolute pleasure.
Speaker 1: To that's great talking to you. Obviously, you'll see him on the road in some incarnation, coming fast, and of course you'll hear Smooth in your grocery store, on the radio.
Speaker 2: Kahoon, and in your nightmares till next time.
Speaker 1: This is Bob left side.