Speaker 1: No, no, come home, Come home, Come home, Come home, Come.
Speaker 2: Home.
Speaker 3: On this episode of the Heat Check, we are joined by our favorite coach, coach Jimmy Patzos, former Coldgate coach who is also our basketball insider, here to break down the final playing games.
Speaker 4: And we've got some doozies here.
Speaker 3: Paul George apparently isn't playing he got COVID as well as give us some insight into this year's crop of rookies and how they played out this season. So do me a favorite rock and drop that beat?
Speaker 1: Perfect pray?
Speaker 4: What are you going on?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: First and foremost, welcome coach to the show. What are you looking at? You got getting up out of your seat?
Speaker 5: We loved you.
Speaker 4: We've muted yourself. What's happening?
Speaker 5: I'm not muted?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Am?
Speaker 5: I good? Yeah? All right, let's go. We're ready. I'm ready.
Speaker 4: Hold on, all right? So where'd you go? You went and got a book?
Speaker 5: Look, I keep lists, I keep I use I'll use Lindy's Sports for college and pro. I'll read the New York Post. I do stuff online, but I also keep my own lists. Like on draft night, so it was running to get my folder. We're gonna talk about Draft night. Should we have taken Scottie Barnes ahead of sug It's clearly a good decision.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's like, that's a main one.
Speaker 3: Let's first and foremost talk about these playing games, because I have so many questions about last last draft class. There's so many good like intriguing storylines. But first and foremost Istlanta Hawk's played Cleveland. Uh, Cleveland is a two and a half point dog. This is not a betting show. This is but I just wanted to say what the line was. And you know, here's the interesting thing. Cleveland is going to give it a go. Apparently Jared Allen is going to play right, and that's who knows how he's gonna be. You got bogged on who's questionable with an ankle sprain? Obviously no John Collins because he has a finger issue as well.
Speaker 4: What do you think happens? Like, how do you see this? This game?
Speaker 3: This you know, winner go home game playing playing out, especially since Atlanta has only really played well in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: You know, Atlanta has size though with Capella. Now, Bogdanovitch is important because he's great out. He's a great, great shooter off the bench, Gallinari gives him some experience. But it's about Trey Young Herder and DeAndre Hunter. They're tall and herd Her and Hunter big guards that can defend by the way Herd her That's the steel that they got in the twenties. A couple of years ago, was at that combine when he played well. Day one shut it down. Day two went to the Hawks because he got a great move. DeAndre Hunter will always play defense because he's a Tony Bennett guy. Another good pick took him a year or two. Some guys like Scottie Barnes play right away. You got Mobley on the other side. Can he score enough? Can he step it up? It's about Jared Allen. Jared Allen has to play. He's been out six weeks with a broken finger. You have to try. I got three of the plans right, Trista and I got the Hawks one wrong. I thought the guards. I thought the Hornets might come up with Gordon Haywood doesn't play what I don't understand. I guess I'm gonna go with this. It's a one game survive in advance. A couple of years ago, we were all kind of making fun of the playing is it good enough. What's the deal? You know where out of the summer league you hear about it, and last year was a little quirky, although the Wizards took advantage of it. I think it's brilliant. I actually think whoever thought of it was I was wrong. They were right. I thought it should be seven ten, eight nine, a little play in that way, blah blah blah. Nope, this is a good format. Cleveland gets to go home. They didn't look terrible against the Nets, but Marketing missed too many shots. I saw the Calves this year against the Whiz, I thought they were gonna win the whole championship because it was one of those nights. Okoro Garland, Ricky Rubio was still playing market and making threes. Jared Allen defended the paint mobley free to Rome Kevin Love making threes. They had seven guys with Rubio and Love off the bench. Now they had injuries. They've hit a wall and Marketing can't score anymore. They're going home, backs against the wall. Chance to survive. Go play the Heat, who we all know is a little vulnerable. Probably the best team that doesn't have a star is the Heat. So like all this comes into play back to we're going to talk about the draft. You got Mobley and you got Hrder, Trey Young and Hunter. The only person the Hawks missed on the last three years was Reddish, And you know, Reddish has some flaws. He doesn't really like basketball that much in my opinion. Sorry, that's what I think. I don't think he loves the game. But you got Hurder, Hunter and Trey Young. You hit good. Coral is pretty good for the Calves. Solid armor guy, but now they're hitting on Mobile. Who's gonna get Rookie of the Year, So like it's gonna be a fascinating game. Who can take over? Like you said, the Hawks don't play well at home, but they do play defense, and Nate McMillan has always gotten guys to play d and they played defense. The other night. They locked up the Hornets, Rosier and and Ball couldn't score. You know, they just didn't look good. But they didn't have going Haywood. If Jared Allen plays tonight, I think the Calves can win. They're at home, they're tough. What do the Hawks have, Nate McMillan, They got experience from last year. They've kind of been waiting around. They started slow, but they need Bogdanovitch because that guy A he's a feisty defender, he makes jumpers, and he's got experience.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the injury to Jared Allen like he should even be playing? Because the thing that's interesting to me is like when Trey played against the Calves, all these four games that they've played, he's gotten to the line like a crazy amount of I want to say, he's gotten to the line like eight to ten times in each of those occurrences. He's scoring on average like thirty two and a half points. Like Jared Allen obviously helps them be able to defend without without fouling Trey, Like I guess, do you think the X factor of this is all about Jared Allen and how effective he is?
Speaker 5: I do. I loved him. I liked him in Texas, but I loved him on the nets. I saw him, like I said, I do the Wizards pre and post game and back in the day. You can go to the games, you know before COVID we'll be back there too. We've been in the studio the last two years. I saw Jared Allen warming up. I saw how tall along he was. I saw his attention to detail on defense. He wants to be a I love his hair. He got a great throw and all that. That guy wants to play d He's super pride. He's taken the next step. Sure, he broke his finger and the one game thing, I think both him and Collins. If you can play, he should play. If that's what they because they're missing a little depth at the four. Yeah, Hawks and Jared Allen if he can help. Look, it's just no replacing a guy like Jared Allen back there. Trey Young when he gets to the line, that's one thing. When he gets to the paint period, good things happen for the Hawks. But Garland's quick enough to stay with him. I just think Jared Allen back there marketing to tog Iban. He doesn't block shots, will see mobiley. I like them. He's a little raw. He's still he's just not like there yet. He had a great start. He got figured out a little bit. He can play some defense. I love what he did with usc and and the enfield. He got him to the Elite eight. Those days are over. This is the NBA A surviving advanced game against an Hawks team that's very experienced, but so far the home team has pretty much had their way. If Jared Alleen walks out, I'm not saying it's Willis reed the Knicks, but he remotivates that team. I'm bickerstaff. I say, hey, man, if there's one game you can try to play, it's tonight. Now is it long term damage? I'm not a doctor, but it's been six weeks. I hope he plays.
Speaker 4: Who do you think has the best chance of beating the Heat?
Speaker 3: If they win tonight, that's.
Speaker 5: A great see you ask good questions. This is why you're a world famous journalist.
Speaker 4: Haha, you're a world famous fluffer. Is what you are coaching at Oregon.
Speaker 5: You got the dog, you got Emma, you got the em of the dog. You got You, you got Quinn, and you got Ryan. You're all over the place, barstool, back to DC, up to New York. There's a reason you're on the fan because New York City needs you. Let me tell you this. If John Collins plays, and look, I'm going on what the Hawks did last year, I mean they beat the Heat. I mean they beat the Sixers in Game seven. They dismantled the next four to one. No problem. All Right, that wasn't the best next team in the world, but they were still They still went me in there and won, and they meet the Sixers. I mean, I don't care what Ben Zimmons did. They still had to meet Zeth Curry and Tobias Harris Day. Mcmellan's got guts. That guy can coach. Now gotta play defense, and I don't think they wanted to play defense in November and December. But just like you did the year before, he brought him in and said it's January. They were hot. They had a really good February. They had tough. I haint the Hawks seven better chance. But if Jared Allen was to be healthy with I sik, I said Garland. Of course, they have the biggest lineup. When it win Achorrol marketing.
Speaker 4: We'll get four to seven footers.
Speaker 5: It's just but the Heat's resiliency and the way that Heat play, I think the Hawks have a better chance. Actually, if I had upon reflection after watching ten minutes of the Hawks won its game, I couldn't believe I took the Hornets, And I don't want to be saying the same thing tonight. So even though it's not a gambling show. I think the Hawks go in there and find a way to win, and then they give the Heat all they want. How about that the Heat are gonna get the Hawks who went to the finals last year, and the Celtics are gonna get the Nets. This is gonna be too compelling. First round series one in two seeds. Meanwhile, the Bucks are going to cruise from the three seed against the sleeping Bulls that took they ripped van winkled it from.
Speaker 4: February on, Yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: So let's talk Clippers now versus the Pelicans. Pelicans went one to twelve to start the year. We were just throwing massive amounts of shade on them that looked like a tanking team. Zion of course hasn't played all year, despite him doing windmills in practice and pre game all that stuff. And then of course they trade for my guy, CJ. McCollum, Love them love him.
Speaker 4: Isn't it true too?
Speaker 3: It appears right looks like he's more of a point guard in this system, especially with big long wings next to him, with b I Herb Jones, Jackson Hayes and of course JV.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So, and then the biggest news is like five minutes ago, we find out that Paul George contracted COVID, so he's not gonna play tonight.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this is news to you. This is brand new news to you too.
Speaker 5: Wow. I didn't know he was not gonna play. I was out getting my little lock in with my dog and get a piece of chicken.
Speaker 4: Come home, George Pg. Thirteen is not playing tonight, So it's Norm Powell and the others.
Speaker 5: Away.
Speaker 3: So now the line is probably let me look and see what it is now. I think it's a pick them one and a half. Yeah, so one and a half Clippers are at home. The line is still two fifteen and a half as the total. Just a fascinating, fascinating matchup. Just give me how you see this going in terms of like matchups.
Speaker 5: Yes, let's review, let's review. Yes, love you and your trailblazers. You're trying so hard to fail. After what I'm seeing from a column. You might have traded the wrong guy. A he's taking a leadership bro. If you read I do this show with Bobby Aber, remember the quarterback Bobby who that good guy. I do this New Orleans show with him and Christians really good and they talk a lot about the Pelicans. He had to do some LSU and some other stuff, but it's about Pelicans. Really interesting team. David Griffin's been absent because he doesn't want to take design. He Ingram's hurt. They're doing the tanking thing. Whatever you say. Valancenis keeps it together. Ingram is good. Herb Jones is why Alabama one. He is why Alabama one. They whooped Maryland to go to Sweet sixteen. It wasn't the young guys. It just wasn't okay. I like Josh Primo. I liked those other guys. Herb Jones was the leader in that locker room. He was a tough guy, plays defense. All of a sudden, he picks up Alvarado, who led Georgia Tech to the ACC title. They came in last this year without him last. Josh pass is a friend of mine. It's not his fault, but Alvarado New York tough. Will's Will's Georgia Tech to the NCAA. Well, he's playing well. Jackson Hayes has grown up. I love Valentiunis, but it's all about McCollum. I guess he went to lunch and dinner with all these different guys. He's spending a lot of time with Willie Green. He's like, I can help more. Remember he went to Lee High, so he's really smart guy. It's basically an Ivy League school Patriot Leaguers.
Speaker 4: Also NBPA president CJ.
Speaker 5: McCollough and right, see, like this is a bright guy who's like, we're not that far off. Instead of everybody making ben ye jokes and fat jokes and all this about Zion, let's get him involved because he shoots sixty percent from the field. I'm a big Zion guy. You know, he's got to grow up. Sure, maybe his boys are down there and they're hanging out, or it's his first year in New Orleans. Hey, I was just there. I didn't do well there either. It's hard.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of talents.
Speaker 5: They got food, Begnet's with Chris, drinking at night. I've been there, beads, beads, they had everything. Hurricanes. Here's the thing, what does CJ. McCollum do gets the Scion Now Zion's back on the bench, Like c J. McCollum has brought them together. But I think Trey Murphy was a really good pick. I thought Corey Kisper was a little better than him. He went to Rice, who's smart, Trey Murphy than Virginia. So Murphy Alvarado Jones. There's your young guys, McCollums, your leader. Valance Unis is just a really good, big ingram, super talented. And Jackson Hayes, we know it's grown up he.
Speaker 3: Had and of course JV has that Toronto blood in him, right because he played for the Raptors for a long period of time and he ended up well. He was like one of the leaders when they were trying to build things. Lowry and and DeRozan people.
Speaker 5: They won it. And by the way, I just I might take them in the futures back next year to like go to the conference finals. This team is like right there and they're gonna get a.
Speaker 4: Decent They feel kind of like Memphis a little bit to you was last year.
Speaker 5: Very trista, very good. Yes they do. Who has Desmond Maine, who's tougher than you think, who took you know, John Morian has been fantastic, there's no there's no question there. But all of a sudden they got Dylan Brooks and Desmond Maine and all these other guys that are better than you think. And they got a little family atmosphere too. Yeah, they throw in Steven Adams, So it's a mix. You gotta have salary cap that works, but you gotta have some young guys because they're cheaper on the tax. But really you got to have a guy that could lead, and it's McCollum. McCollum has got a fantastic job. And I've been hearing Dame. He has been voicing his support, following them and saying how much they already miss them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard Dame is gonna come up to it the CJ mccollingers, And just like Patrick Beverly did for Eva Zubah at a joke, I don't think so. But like, we couldn't have had them both. They were making too much money. Dame's gonna get an extension. CJ's making thirty you know, Nirk wants his. And then you're in a bad CA situation. So sometimes you have to just let the birds that.
Speaker 4: You love dirt.
Speaker 5: Can't we playing dirt by the game? How many games he plays?
Speaker 4: We need to get rid of him, Coach, he's got to go. We got now.
Speaker 5: I remember when he was picked in the first round. I didn't know who he was. Comes around, he's always injured, he.
Speaker 4: Is, he is well.
Speaker 3: We shut him down this year because we didn't want him winning any games for us.
Speaker 5: So that was that was Simon's is coming around for your Trailblazers. Now there is an interesting draft pick out of IMG. I wish that he went to college. I wish they all went to college for a year. I think he had helped him, helps them marketing, it helps him grow up. And what Simon's showed what he can do this year. But can't you do it on a winning team? Is what you have to ask yourself.
Speaker 3: Let's pivot now, because so your pick is, your pick is Pelicans, Pelicans. Let's pivot. Let's hard pivot now. Let's talk about this draft, this last year's draft. A lot of people coach telling telling me the twenty twenty one draft class might be the best since nineteen ninety six. Twenty eighteen obviously is elite. This court class, of course, is deeper than that.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've got just it's just stacked. You literally can just go through the list and we'll go through some of them. I'm very curious. The first thing that I want to where the where the mock separated was the Jalen Sug Scottie Barnes pick. Everybody thought, Jalen Sugg's kid, who's like multi sport athlete from the you know, the Minneapolis area, best friends with Paige Becker's.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah, A born.
Speaker 3: Winner, goes to Gonzaga, stands up on the table when he beats UCLA in that game winner, that he should have been the one to go to Toronto. A lot of people thought that was like the very easy, safe pick because he's a proven winner and they needed a guard. They end up going with Scotty Barnes instead, and I think a lot of people thought that was like pretty befuddling.
Speaker 4: What did you think about the pick then? And then you know, what do you think went wrong with Suggs when he ended up going to Orlando?
Speaker 3: Was it just like a depth issue with all the guards that they had. Could they have passed on him and gone with someone else? So much going on with those two picks.
Speaker 5: I've known Suggs since he was fifteen because he was on the under Armoured Circuit competitor Hits Game Winners. I talked to Mark Few about when he hit the game winner. He does that in practice all the time. Big fan of Sugs. Feisty, but he's only six y three. Barnes is tall. This guy Messi knows what he's doing in Toronto, whether it's Van Fleet, Siakam, all the players that picked picking up Kawhi for a year knowing that was probably all you're going to get out of him. He was right about that too. This guy Messi is like he's got It's like he's got a little crystal ball. Scottie Barnes played for Leonard Hamilton. He basically came off the bench, you know, and waited his turn and stuff like that. Devin Vass was doing well this year. He did the same thing. I like Leonard Hamilton's guys. Scottie Barnes has always wanted to win. It's always been about the shot and it actually goes in. It doesn't look great, but it goes in. But his intangibles with Siakam, Van Fleet, guys, they have there. Now you may not have needed Suggs as much as we thought. We did brilliant play and now he's in purgatory because I think the magic's going to be a while. Even though they have fans. I'm not a huge fan of because when you lose by thirty, someone's got to score. The Magic are a long way away. Bonds goes to a winning situation like Florida State, fills In doesn't have to be the guy shows has worked on defense, rebounding, understanding how to play, happy to pass, happy to be a role player, and quietly, he really probably should have been the MVP MOBILEI, as we know in our society, got off to such a quick start. Caid came along too, But it's just hard when you lose every game. Okay, I like what cunning him does. He's got to shoot the ball better. Suggs broke and hurt his wrist. He's down there in the Magic which is just not a good situation. It's going to take a couple of years to clean up. And Jalen Green in the Rockets, they were trying to lose. Okay, they were trying to lose. So at leaves Barns as a winner. B he's playing in meaningful games. I really like Dute two and the Pacers, but they lost. Corey Kispert really didn't play until the end. Like you can vot.
Speaker 4: Bars could be coach because like the.
Speaker 5: Shawn Prince, Tayshawn Prince. My point is because you guys weren't playing in meaningful games, and he was screaming well in meaningful games making a playoff run. Nobody wants to play the Raptors right now. Sixers got their handsful. So Scottie Barns to me, answered the bell. He did it the whole season. He did enough on the on the stats thing, but he won and played meaningful minutes. I really, if I was voting and waited until the last day of the season, he gets it for me.
Speaker 4: No chance. I mean, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 3: Like the thing that's crazy is that everybody was saying that he wasn't a true scorer, but he had thirty one points seventeen rebounds on fourteen for twenty one shooting when they played the Lakers. He had five double doubles since the All Star breaks, averaging fifteen right foraging eighteen on fifty eight percent true shooting since the All Star Break, and scoring was supposed to be the weakness.
Speaker 5: So I think they say Tayshawn Prince because we played him in the NC Double A and he looked a little funky with his left handed shot and like all of a sudden, Larry Brown figured out, hey, that's the last team that won it without a top ten player. By the way, it was the Pistons. Gary Brown figured out all the things Tayshawn Prince did well instead of complaining about what he didn't do well. I feel like the Raptors have done the same thing. Nick Nurse has said, look at all the things this guy does and helps us win and happy to do it. But he can score. Like you said twisted eighteen. Since the All Star Game, what do.
Speaker 3: You think happened with James Bookknight Because everybody was excited about you always did.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. I'm known Booknight since he was young, and that was all that was joke. He visited Sientle when I was there, and I was the first scholarship offer he has. James brook Knight's a New York kid. He's very talented. He lost to Maryland. Eric Coyella outplayed him in the NCAA. I was this go to the I was going on all the nc double A games. That's when I saw herb Jones, who, by the way, was a great first pick. First round pick for the Pelicans, like you gotta find guys that can win book Knight got out played by Ayela, But he's a nice kid. Stephen Cruz was his high school coach who was on the bench for Saint Peter's. See it's always connected.
Speaker 4: We love to connect Twista for sure. Why do you think he played at all or played in play?
Speaker 5: He's got some look, first of all, they got other guys. Second of all, I don't they weren't going to pick him, but he was left on the board, and I heard I heard conjecture, yep that the big boss down there, we all know who that is, said, why is the number six ranked prospects still on the board? Take? And we've all been in those I've been in the rooms with bosses when I know it's a bad idea, and I go, oh, yeah, that's a great idea. Boss Like that wasn't a great idea. They didn't need that position. They got Rogier and LaMelo, they took him. I think he's got a little growing up to do. Like he just didn't shoot the ball well against I saw Connecticut twice last year, two years ago. He didn't shoot the ball well. He's got a good pace. His crossover getting till the rim is excellent. But they'll block that shot in the NBA. Yeah, Devin Woters, you just said Cleveland has three of them. I think this is a huge offseason. Just like in college. I thought the jump from year one to year two was big. I go to Summer League. I want to see book Knight. Can he grow up? Can he spread back on d Is he contempt to distribute? Remember New York City guys, they are a little like Alvarado. Like I love his feistiness, that's what makes him good. But he took four years in college. Like book Knight wants to go back at guys when they scored him. I saw this up close in Summer League. Doesn't work in the NBA. Like if Kyle Lowry crosses you up or somebody hits a Jay in your face, you can't take it personal. Because they're really great players. I think Booknight is gonna be a really interesting one to watch. He was picked eleventh for a reason. Some guys saw the flaws. But I will tell you this, I wish the Wizards got him because they need a point guard. Like I like Corey Kissy. He shoots the ball he's a good player, but they could have used bookmank because they don't have a point guard. Like he's gone to a place where they have two point guards. And yeah, with most New York kids, it ain't so happy he's sitting on They're not real cool. Was sitting on that bench.
Speaker 3: Playing another another place that had multiple point guards, multiple guards, and then somehow head scratchingly took someone that they didn't need.
Speaker 4: Was Sacramento and Davey.
Speaker 5: On the course. He plays hard. I gotta give Davian Mitchell. He plays hard. Now. I don't know what they're gonna do with Deanon Fox and them him and McBride, Damian Mitchell and McBride for the Knicks with the two guys I saw at some league that played tremendous defense. Is that enough? I don't know, But he really Bobby was coaching the team out in uh Sacramento with some Bobby Jackson who played that he reminded him of him, like he's really good. But the Kings they sort of can't get out of their own with either. Can they dwist them? No?
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I mean, it just feels like same thing with Charlotte. You've got you've got despirate, you know, opinions, and then you've got a hierarchy of power, and then you get guys that like do what the owner wants.
Speaker 4: Now, now it.
Speaker 3: Looks like, uh, my man in Charlotte's gonna get clipped Mitch cup check.
Speaker 5: Here. Well, I don't think the boss. I don't think Michael Jordan's gonna take the blame. Here's the thing. If Gordon Haywood plays, they probably could have won the other night. But he can't stay healthy either. I don't think he's a dog. I don't think it's anything personal. He's just had some injury problems. Bok Knight. You can't waste picks like that, and they didn't need And when you look at like whether it was Desumo, I love Dwate, they could have had him, Za Wins, bones Hiland, who's an under armour guy. He's played Troumatta Love bones Hiland, long rangey, great personality, twenty third pick playing yeah, ruggets. All these guys that could have helped them, and they just took a guy that was ranked higher.
Speaker 4: Heb Jones would have been really good for them.
Speaker 5: Herb Jones would have been great. They could have used the three man defender. But here's the problem, Trista. People like Herb Jones is like Social Security guy. Because he's a senior in college, they moved down. Duarte was a better player than book Night, but he moved to the Pacers because the one knew he was twenty four and twenty three. They don't want that. You know, Desmo had a good year for the Bulls. He moved down because of that. Meanwhile, all he did was winning Illinois. But there is that X factor. If he's younger, he's under twenty, he moves up five or six slots because he's under twenty. Couldn't be interesting to see. So you did hear Mitch Kumpchick's gonna get clipped.
Speaker 4: That's what I heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard he was on the chopping block. You know, so we'll have to see how that all comes to fruition. You think that's smart that they not only overvalue young guys, but they undervalue old guys in this league.
Speaker 5: Great question depends what you're looking for. You know, Brooklyn took Cam Thomas, who I really like, because he's an unbelievble scorer. I'm not going to pass it leading scorer. I would oak Hill. They're a winning team. We can be patient on a young guy who can score. The Celtics Peyton Prichard finally worked out a little bit for him. Dee Smith Langford terrible pick. I never liked him from in Neana. Didn't think you get a good skill set picking that. Picking twelve to twenty is tricky. Pick in twenty to thirty. I actually think it's easier because you can kind of take a little more of a risk or say we just need a guy to help us win a few games. You know, if the Warriors were picking two years ago in any other spot but two, I don't think they take Wiseman. They just didn't want to miss on a seven to one unicorn. Well, he hasn't been healthy. I'm not sure how much he loves basketball. Good kid, I've met him before. Nice, smart, speaks Chinese, plays a piano, all that stuff.
Speaker 4: How can you tell?
Speaker 3: How can you tell whether somebody likes basketball? Because remember there were a lot of people who said that about Aunt Edwards as well, And it turns out like he's ready for every moment, shows up when you know the lights get the brightest, and he's probably one of the more charismatic guys that we have in the association.
Speaker 5: I like Anthony Edwards. He was on an enormous circuit. He was in the Curry game too. And I say that full disclosure. I worked for on Durma. But we also get to see kids at USA basketball at McDonald's and the Curry campus is not just on d Rhymer's. Everybody Chad Holgrom, you know his Florence. Their son is competitor, Jalen Green, you know, talented but needed to grow up. You see things you could tell Wiseman was really smart. I just sometimes when someone has too many interests off the corner, like Anthony Edwards loves basketball all right. I also think Anthony Edwards got the benefit of being picked by Minnesota perfect place, you know why, because it's about as far away from Atlanta as you can be. And for someone that age, we've all been there. I am certainly. I don't have my eighteen to twenty one year old years out there publicity wise, but there was no cameras back then. The drinking age was eighteen in DC. When I went to college, it was chaos mix for anarchy, and we were you know, and we were you know, playing ball, and GW was good going to Hoya's games and Maryland games could go to the bars and all this. Well, they probably have the same access now because of their status. I think it's fantastic Anthony Edwards went to a team that really needed them. They could be patient. Last year, they weren't going to be any good. Let him make mistakes. This year. What a what a fantastic atmosphere. Loved to see him play the Grizzlies. But I always thought Anthony Edwards liked basketball. I just didn't know if the other stuff was a distress. Like he loved basketball, I just didn't know if the other stuff was a distraction. I was a little disappointed in how poorly he played at Georgia, but in fact, he didn't play poorly. Tom Crean just couldn't get that team together. That's why he's not the coach there anymore. Yeah, Like there's a lot of factors that go into these.
Speaker 4: Young guys situation.
Speaker 5: Situation, But like you better love basketball on Golden State because the guy run on the whole team, Curry loves basketball.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, and on top of that, basketball Edwards probably wouldn't have flourished at Golden State because of the type.
Speaker 4: Of sets that they want to run.
Speaker 3: You need to be ready to run these complicated things right away, and you can't get in the way of Curry too.
Speaker 4: Like that's the number one thing.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think they wanted to get LaMelo because they said they didn't think LaMelo was going to pick up on the offense as fast, and they didn't want somebody to compete with Curry for touches, which Aunt probably would have competed with Curry for touches.
Speaker 5: And you knew Klay Thompson was coming back. Raggins is actually see I think Wiggins has been a beneficiary of being around Steph Curry's workout, the love of the game. But Jordan Poole's gotten a lot better, so they didn't need him. They needed it big. They took a risky. Maybe those guys are so big and so talented. If it ever clicks, and maybe Wiseman little click, you know, maybe just I just didn't. Here's what I'm saying about Wiseman. I watched them ten weekends, twist to ten. That's you know, a rough estimate. He never played a whole weekend. Wow, it was USA Basketball Curry Camp McDonald's in high school AAU. He just he didn't wait. Here's how this stuff works. Usual it as a game Friday night to Saturday. One Sunday a practice, so this he never played the whole weekend. He never completed one weekend, which made me a little concerned because sometimes you just want to do it for peer pressure. Second of all, you just want to be out there so bad at this level, getting McDonald's jersey and I didn't see it. Anthony Anthony Edwards, he wanted to play the big moments, saying he had a game winner over Nico Mannyon who is now in Italy. I mean him and Josh Green couldn't stop the guy and he wanted the ball. And this is a Sunday morning meetingless game at AAU. They've already qualified for the playoffs, and Anthony Edwards drops forty. You gotta give him my credit. So that being said, I also think your system think it's correct. It's too bad though, because LaMelo I was wrong. I don't get him all right. I didn't think he'd be that good.
Speaker 4: He is good, Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised at how deep this draft ended up being In terms of all the top end talent. Like, I know you don't like Franz Wagner, but we have ten rookies that have played over fifty I give him credit.
Speaker 5: I just be I'm just what I'm saying on that, I'm careful of guys dropping buckets when they're losing by thirty, right, right, right, You and I have both seen there's a lot of different defense when it's a two point game than when it's a twenty five point game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we've got ten rookies that have played ten games, and they have played over fifty games and average double figures. Do you think that this was like kind of stunning how deep it ended up being because it was actually considered ahead of the draft a slightly weak draft.
Speaker 5: I always thought Mobley was really good. I liked Trey Man. There was some guys like that that I liked.
Speaker 3: You've got Zion Williams, Quinton Grimes, Bones.
Speaker 5: Hirings, Williams coming into the perfect culture. I didn't think Zion Williams is going to be that good. I did like Tray Burdon. Hey, my guy, Aaron Wiggans Maryland play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Aaron Wiggins is a perfect example Trey Man dessume move.
Speaker 5: I will say this though the NBA is not the old NBA starters. The average guys are playing sixty sixty five games, not eighty games. Right, Well, there's room for some rookie stuff. But yeah, they score on the ball. If they've had a good run, they've had a good they've had. This has been a good draftless. Like I said, Duarte is good. I just happened because AI work for you guys and cover the NBA. I happened to dig into the Pelicans and there's Trey Murphy, who I wasn't sure on him, and then I was wrong. Chase Hughes was right. He wonted Trey Murphy for the Wizards. It was close. He's got a big upside, he's long. He made a big, tough basket the other night. It's been a lot of different guys with talent, and they can score the ball. I do want to see how it shakes out. And it's interesting that book Knight's the biggest disappointment. We'll see if he can bounce back bones Highland. He's had a few issues up and down, but he's in a team with Djokis, solid coaching staff, Conley's the President, Booth's the GM like they're very organized. They can put up with some of Bones and stuff. He's got Will Barton. When they get Murray back and all that, it's going to be interesting. But bonesheiland got to go to a winning situation, Scotty Barnes's winning situation. The King Cunningham one was the most interesting. I just didn't see him play that well. They lost to the Wizards both times. One time he played terrible. One time he's went pretty good. I don't know if he has enough to turn that one around. You know, it's funny because I want to see if Sons can turn around the Magic with his competitiveness because he's so tough. I'm not down on Wagner. I just he's just sometimes I set up before he didn't make big shots at Michigan. I want to see how that goes.
Speaker 4: But they're being related to Mo. Him being related to Mo did not help him either.
Speaker 5: Most kind of a feisty, dirty guy. But he's hung around the league and now they're on the same team. But you're right, because he's a very different player. You're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you see Mo and you're like, oh, it's another Wagner, like don't take him in the top fifteen, Like he's like a second round guy, and he ended up being obviously like had a bunch of triple doubles, like really helping this team stay in it at least you know who do you think is not being talked about enough? It ends up being in the long run like shockingly elite. Because I like the upside of Shangoon. I really like the upside of Herb Jones, Like he impacts winning defensively in ways that.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen in a long time.
Speaker 3: He had like in fifteen seconds he had what like two steals a block and got caused a foul like fifteen seconds in that playing game. I also really like kaminga A lot of people like him.
Speaker 4: How about Reed made athletic.
Speaker 5: But first of all, I want to talk about my guy Desmond Gain from two years ago, another twenty four year old from TCU know one would take He looks at you. You can play running back tomorrow for the Ravens. He's a guy that's not only taken the first step, he's taking the second step. Was a leader in Summer League. I want to see Josh Getty take the next step. They're not built the same. I think Josh Getty's really good before he got hurt. He's like a triple double machine where he's close to it. He's really good. I think he's got a little bit more savvy to his game. I really like Josh Guiney. He's saying good. I'm careful on that Rockets team. Jalen gree to them. They were taking some bad shots. Ye look, they're in it for the long run. We all know that them and the Magic. I actually like the Thunders plan better, Like sometimes certain guys take a lot of shots and then they're out and they let the second team. Eric Meder is a friend of mine, playing VCU five years in the league, assistant coach. Like the Thunder could make a quick jump. Josh Giddy is a guy I think. I don't want to go crazy here because it's a Friday, it's happy Eastern, and I'm gonna go have a good Friday beer right after this podcast. But I will tell you this, my friend, in three years, when they remock this draft, Trista, don't be surprised if he's the number one pick.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, his court vision is insane.
Speaker 5: Telling you he's a little don chicky without the bit his builds to like in three years everyone he might be saying, why didn't we take that guy?
Speaker 4: No doubt?
Speaker 3: Who who finally is in your all rookie team? Because you remember Bill Simmons was just like you hating on Jalen Green because he does an impact winning same situation than I had. You'd have to say with Bronz Wagner. So who's your on your on your all rookie team?
Speaker 5: Like I said, I'm putting Josh Gideon because I just said it. The mobiley things really easy, the mobiley things just because of I mean, he really did impact.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's funny I talk about all my old stories of USA basketball and all that, but it's interesting to see kids in different settings. And Mobley's just tremendously talented. He's never been like an alpha dog Suggs is. Suggs ran those teams, you know, and he was like the guy and all that stuff. Chet Holger Max. He has a little more of that than you. Moby very content. He was thrust into the spotlight. He handled it pretty well. But him and Scottie Barnes clearly have had the most smooth seasons for winning teams. I'm putting Josh Giddy, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna know Herb Jones because they're in it. I'm gonna put throw him in there. And because I'm not a Wagner fan, so I can't, I can't do that. And as much as I want and I do, I'm gonna go with my guy Desumo. So my team would be my starting team would be Desumo Giddy at the point, Desumo at the two, Herb Jones at the three, Scottie Bonds at the four, and Mobile at the five. Would be my rookie team to play any other rookie team you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I love all those guys because they've all impacted winning.
Speaker 5: And back to winning. They stayed a little longer some of them. Whatever, I just I just Desumo. Maybe it's me because he came down to the Marriyland Illinois game and his jersey was retired after three years, and he was like a kid on the bench. Yet he talked about how lucky he was to be a bull. I travel a lot, when I read a lot of papers. When I travel, and you go through Chicago a lot, Trista, so I get a lot of Bulls, either watching picking up the newspaper or listening to people. He's handled it really well. He helped them. You know, they were they were really off to a hot start, the Bulls. They ran out of gas with no ball. But so I'm gonna go that. Yeah, I'm gonna go to sumo at the Herbert the three, Gideon at the one, Bonds at the four, allbe at the five, and I'll play any team you want. You can, you can have your you can have your guys, you can have the other kid Connehan and Jalen Reed and those dudes. I'll take my team.
Speaker 4: I like that. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 3: Coach catch him at at Coach Patsos on Twitter and on all of the Odyssey stations around the country.
Speaker 4: That's all the time that we have for this episode of the Heat Check.
Speaker 3: Moving back Monday to talk about the first weekend the NBA Playoffs. Please follow the Heat Check the tube up with everything happening in this league. Do not forget to download, subscribe, and tell all your friends that includes you to coach every damn one of them. Please follow us it at this heat Check and at Tristan Criek on TikTok.
Speaker 4: That's also you coach as well. Thanks so much for listen.
Speaker 2: Awesome lady.
Speaker 1: I'm not not on parting