Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up an SVW podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Liza Tragger. It's like, what's this pause about? I got distracted by my own bracelet and I'm Kara klank At. Every week you guys know you guys, if you're a Tommy, you know this is sv recaps true crime deep dives and interviews with fun actors and people involved with the show and chit chats. And you're holding a la boo boo. What is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, stretching, But it's that Laboo Boo's not gonna get plenty of fresh ites.
Speaker 1: He's doing his little stretches.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it is funny that this is episode two ninety one, and like, I could still fuck up the intro. It's like so cool to remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're like, we're not just phoning it in you now. People say that SVU is a well oiled machine. Not this podcast. We this machine's constantly got fucking some shit gunking up the cogs and stuff and we've got to clear it.
Speaker 2: Out and it's mostly just stuff on my desk. That's yeah, that's what it is. I can't with this desk. I also have this kind of la blue boo too. It's like, oh, I'm open lighte. This was the gift. It's so fun when I post things on like my videos on Instant and people will be like, I gave that to you, because it's all kind of blurs. What people do get me such good. I guess it's such.
Speaker 1: A blur, like where, oh my god, my my pouch that says I haven't a prince who wants to be a princess when you can be Olivia Ben.
Speaker 2: Ali Ben said, it's honestly and reach. I can grab it right now if you want to look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ours is our gem pouch. It's like where my kids put all their gems. Oh my god, the way that yours looks so white and beautiful like mine is I would say, a dark shade of cream now because of my children use it every day like okay, it's where all their gems are. Yeah, so all their gems are in there. And I mean, if you're listening, thank you, to the person who gave us that, because that's truly a constant in my life. So you know, it's been gorgeous to New York.
Speaker 2: And I was taking the long way to get onto the train to go to Brooklyn for a show, and I had enough time and there was an one outdoor table of two and one of my favorite bars, so I was like, fuck, I got it. I'll have a beer, so I put I didn't want to leave my stuff out there, so I put a book down. No big deal, and I asked the man at the other table, I'm like, can you just watch my book? I want to go get a guinness. So I get the the books being held. His friends joins him, and then it's Giovanni's rooms. So then one of the guys is like, what part are you on? And then I can't figure out if they're straight or get or whatever, and we start talking about Giovanni's room and reading and then heat Reverie and how I got into reading, and they're like, well, why did that get you into reading? Like their books, and then the guy goes, yeah, you know, I like gay guys stuff, but when it comes to gay sex, I just can't watch it. And I'm not sure what the reason is. And then he got a phone call and I started reading. But it's like, I think it's homophobia, Like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the other reason would be.
Speaker 2: Unless you don't like any sex and stuff like that makes sense to me, like I don't like seeing actors fuck on camera like that. Okay, yeah, but to be like, I don't know what it is, but I just can't look at gay sex like I think it's homophobia, but maybe there's something I'm not I'm not grasping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he.
Speaker 2: Seemed gay to me, but a lot of but I guess not because then the other guy mentioned his wife.
Speaker 1: He was in a nixture. Then I started reading and the night ago, but I'm sorry it was a guy you were talking to. It was two guys. It's two guys. Do they care about two women having sex? Well?
Speaker 2: No, Then he got a phone call because I obviously would have argued him. He really it was like the luckiest moment of his life, say, by the fucking bell. And then I started reading and then they started talking, so is fine? Then I left, but I yeah, I was just like, then, what do you think it is?
Speaker 1: It's weird?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I just don't know what else the reason because it's like you either are apprude all around, because you can also look at stuff that doesn't turn you on, and then you can also be turned on by stuff that's not porn.
Speaker 1: It's just like everyone's brains have broken. Yeah, you can also be turned on by just like two people making out if it's like the right storyline, like if the circle.
Speaker 2: But I couldn't tell if the guy was gay or not, like his friend wasn't but I couldn't tell if this guy was.
Speaker 1: Oh so that that's interesting to me self hate So maybe some self hating situation, oh one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but maybe not. I mean, maybe there's more to it that I'm not seeing. But to me, I'm just like, huh, it's a weird thing to say out loud too.
Speaker 1: To me, we met any penetrative any penetrative sex, Like, what does it matter where different penises are going? I don't think it matters. Also, everyone and you also don't see a penis, right, that's the thing. Every like the thing is people have built it up to be too porny.
Speaker 2: Again, well, I'm not going to watch off campus, but like, I haven't heard any porn comparisons to that show.
Speaker 1: What's Off Campus.
Speaker 2: It's a straight hockey show on Amazon that's like a hit right now, and every time it's in my feet, I'm like, I don't want this.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, did they make this like quickly off of the No, No, it's been around.
Speaker 2: No, hockey smut's been in for a long time. I'm late to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a genre. I mean, Rachel tifically hockey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rachel's been writing these books for I think seven or eight years, if not longer, right, and then like there's a whole other series and then Red, White, and Blue was also hockey, but straight this Off Campus is it's like, No, it's like a.
Speaker 1: Full genre on its own. I wonder why just hockey. There's never like a basketball like story or like so much equipment, like it makes it tougher, you know. Like, And what.
Speaker 2: I'm learning to is, like, I mean the homophobia for the gay stuff, it's like a really masculine The Russians are all like hate gay people, so I think the secrets are like harder to keep.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, But then.
Speaker 2: That's more what I also have learned reading all these hockey books is like, okay, so there's the NHL that's professionals, and then they all have feeder teams and you're a professional person, but you could be undrafted. But with hockey, like you could have to get on a flight that night and join a team like are are Like our goalie is injured, you're the next goalie. You need to sit on the bench, and then you're like flying to a different state and have to move. That's why one of the books he falls in love with his interior designer because they constantly have to move, like you can get traded in the middle of anything. Also, like in the game you can go in and out like basketball, like you have to like wait to like sub players, there's just something where they're just being traded all the time. And there's all these under feeder like minor leagues, and I think it's like that that adds drama too, Like you're constantly being moved around maybe m M. And their bodies just look good like you're because they're skating so like their asses are good because of the movements they have to do.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean soccer guys have hot asses too. I bet there could be some good soccer spot No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but soccer they're so gay outwardly, you know what I mean, They're very there. It's like the gayest sport. Besides, I don't think synchronized swimming. Maybe water polo. No, yeah, I don't know why it's hockey because I don't I've never been to a hockey I've never watched.
Speaker 1: A hockey game ever. Can I ask a random question because you were a swimmer. When you were a swimmer, did you ever do this thing where you would like let your body hair grow and then shave, like right before a meat so that you'd go faster?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Okay. I was telling my friend that she grew up swimming in England and she was a big swimmer, like all county or whatever in England, and she was like, no, we were just like always shaved all the time. I was like, Oh, for some reason, the girls I knew that were swimmers would do this drag thing right where like it was yeah, like for drag, right, like the hair drags.
Speaker 2: You would that, but you wouldn't shave it for a regular meat. You would do it for like sectionals conference right like right, Like I wasn't that good? So like for conference. That would be my big thing. But I guess if you reveal like taking off all of air. But we would also practice with drag suits on top of our suits, so you would get a new suit and then the old suits that would get like loosey goosey because of all the douar and tear. You would put them on top so they would drag on top of you. So sometimes I'd be wearing like two three suits gripped hanging, and then when they would rip, it would hang, so it'd be even harder to swim, and then you were harry as fuck. But the hockey guys too, I guess like until playoffs you you have to grow a beard. That's like that's a part of it. And yeah, because Kip in the episode three of Heated Rivalries like all you all look like sexy lumberjacks, you know. Ah, But I don't know, please write us in if I'm totally misrepresenting.
Speaker 1: Why the like hockey smutt in it and.
Speaker 2: Of itself, but it's kind of like fairy. It's just like I don't know these like genre.
Speaker 1: I knew that this was hockey smut, and I knew that there was like sports smut. I guess I didn't realize that the hockey smut was like the main thing, Like I thought there was just like, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know about may I guess now because off campus, Red White and Blue and Heated Rivalry are all out.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know Red White and Blue was about hockey at all. I knew that was like a popular gay it might not be. Let me look it up.
Speaker 2: It sounds kind of like a president red yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: It's just it was like a like a like a movie like or something. I met screaming at their things. What's the what's the movie where the president is single and it's an American president? An American president? Yeah, I feel like, yes, you well, no, I wasn't because you play the movie game all the time and you're very you're like an IMDb person. Okay, yeah, no, I would do.
Speaker 2: People have told me to watch Red White and Royal Blue. I would watch it.
Speaker 1: Watch. People were like loving that.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: Question, this episode's coming out before fourth of July, but we're in the time machine so it's very early. But do you know what you're doing for one of July?
Speaker 2: Well, Survival of the Thickest premiers July second. Oh nice, so it's out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, everybody watched season three three three survival.
Speaker 2: And I'm also I mean, i'll tell you about when we're back. But it's being screened at the Tribeca Film Festival in June, so I get to do that next week. So we're in the time machine. So I'm excited for that. No, I'm going to be in New York. Probably I'll go to the beach Coney Island, sit, I don't know, get a coffee. I'm not leaving town.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you when we went to Coney Island last year, July third is the day it's like not busy, It's it was beautiful. It was so nice. We could get on all these rides really easily, and it just wasn't very busy. I feel like people were just like waiting for the fourth. I guess. No, I went on the fourth. I went on the fourth.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but we won prizes, we said, but but we got two. We were at the beach by nine am.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got there pretty early because we had the kids. We got there. We wanted to go to the bar. That little area that's all kid rides. And then we went Me and Oscar went on a big roller coaster together. He's my little coaster freak. He's going to be with me. I can tell he like gets. He just sits quietly on coasters with like a big smile, and he doesn't get scared at all. Fucking little weirdo. I was looking at this list of movies that are coming out, and I just don't know if there's anything I'm dying to see this summer. You're still waiting to see, like three movies to see. No, But I did a Canis Mobley.
Speaker 2: Do you know her? Yeah, she had the funniest joke yesterday. But it's like she was just talking about how you're not supposed to come in the drain because it fucks with the plumbing and like all this stuff and like they just tell you too, and she's like, how dare you ask people to swallow your cum when it's like you can't even you're not even supposed to put it in a fucking drain? And I thought that was funny.
Speaker 1: Possible that comes clogging up drains.
Speaker 2: I'll tell uf, I'll find it come clogging drains. Okay, So I just oh.
Speaker 1: My god, there's a new Minions movie coming out July first.
Speaker 2: Okay, can semen clog your pipes? Or is it an urban legend? Oh there's a core. I'm an Airbnb host and my guest masturbates. Oh my god, this is so fun. I'm gonna have the universe of trying to notice claims excessive amounts. So I just found out the shower's been clogged for the past week, and today I finally opened the drain to find out what was wrong, and there was just whitish goo. I mean, it could be shampoo.
Speaker 1: But it's not semen.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, Someone's like, it's probably a conditioner, you weirdo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like soapscumb hair balls. I mean, like the internet is saying that it's mostly made out of water semen.
Speaker 2: Oh this says sorry for the nightmare fuel, but what causes the clog is actually far grosser. Okay, So, can come clog your pipes?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So in twenty sixteen, Slate asked a Harvard Medical School urology professor Abraham Morton Tigler to explain the semen Semen only maintains its sickness for a short time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah your first guy.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, hold on, combine semen and water can tell you the two form a horrifying rubberized texture. And while it's fair to assume this would have pipe clonging capabilities, fortunately this new texture is only temporary. Yeah, so I guess her joke is based on them not real, but I thought it was funny and I liked it.
Speaker 1: I found like a ruter company that has like like a guide to drain unclogging and then it says the short answer is nose firm does not typically clog drains. Like what why would you put that on your like ruter, like your your plumbing site. Like that's hilarious, Like they're very that place is very thorough. Okay, wait, I love that. I just was like, wait, there's a new Minions movie and you're like, back to the semen in the drains. This is what makes these intros so okay. Wait, I love the Minions.
Speaker 2: Wait you saw what the guy Minyon that we talked about this, the creator of Minions, what he said, what they're like our all the Minions guys. He goes, yeah, of course they're all men. Women wouldn't be the stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they just follow They just follow one big Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I love it. But I love the Minions. I was late to them, but I really enjoy them. They arcute.
Speaker 1: I was early to the Minions because you know, I worked for the company that made the Minions, so I saw the movie and the Minions before most of the rest of the world. But I didn't know that there was a third one coming out. There is the live act way.
Speaker 2: But did you see that there's a theory that there's always every generation has a popular yellow character.
Speaker 1: Simpson's Onions, SpongeBob, SpongeBob Well, especially like animated.
Speaker 2: Okay I found the video. Sorry, okay, so it's it's pac Man's in there, tweeties in there, and Pikachu's in there. Yes, SpongeBob Minions, Simpson bart Well.
Speaker 1: I mean like and I'm like, when you're looking at the emojis, like yellow is like kind of the universal person, right, Like you could pick white people emojis, or black people emojis or brown, but like yellow is kind of just like it's more universal. It's like not like a race.
Speaker 2: Well, because there is a theory, someone talks about it. I think with a Nicole Buyer that like are the Simpsons black because all their hair texture looks kind of black.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yes, I think I saw that.
Speaker 2: But then like doctor Hibber and there are other black characters, so I do wonder, I do wonder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, Nicole just had a stare parrel on her podcast and I was like, I can't believe you had a stare parrel and she goes, truly everybody is so gagged, and I knew nothing about her. I was like, wow, like I would listen to that woman read the phone.
Speaker 2: Book My episode's coming out soon with Nicole. I taped it the same day as Rachel reads, So I wonder when mine's gonna come out.
Speaker 1: Oh, but I'm run into each other? No, say no, did I not tell you this? No.
Speaker 2: I get to the studio immediately I noticed a heated rivalry book on the desk, and then I go and then I turned to the right and there's like a little sticker thing and it says to Nicole from Rachel read in her handwriting. I go, what the fuck is going on here? And they're like, Rachel left like maybe five minutes ago. Oh no, And so I DMed Rachel a photo of me and Nicole and I was like, are you fucking kidding me? And she wrote like no, with a bunch of exclamation points, So I was happy about that.
Speaker 1: My god, I forgot you guys are buddies.
Speaker 2: Well I don't know about that, but she you know, we've DMed, we've DMed.
Speaker 1: I'd say your Twitter friends as we recently, we're Twitter friends.
Speaker 2: We're in the friends for sure. I think if I'm ever in Nova Scotia to like hit her up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I saw a.
Speaker 2: Really cute drawing of her in the whole cast and I was going to DM it to her, but then she reposted it, so she already saw it. So I was just glad.
Speaker 1: I don't want to bother her too much, you know, Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't we need her writing her book.
Speaker 1: To get back to work, bitch. You don't want her to turn into a George R. R. Martin or whatever. Yeah, stop whenever a final book.
Speaker 2: Stop with the events and the parties and the speaking engagements, and get to.
Speaker 1: Work, get horny and get some shit down on paper.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm actually so grateful for her Q and a's because like she's just because someone asks her, is it hard to write right now? Like do you think of the two actors, like is it hard and knowing they're gonna act it out and the yadayada. But she's like, no, these characters have been with me longer than these guys, Like I don't really think about it. Yeah, she's incredible, She's so cool.
Speaker 1: Should we start? Yeah, all right, let's let's get started. We've got a great episode today as always, guys. That's messed Up Live dot com is where you can get the Louise Lewis Lewis Louis Lewis shirt of your Dreams, as well as some other merch that I believe is like on sale, some of our older stuff. And I'm gonna be in pe Town baby. Oh yeah. Check out Lisa and Pete Town. You can at that same website. You can get to Lisa's website, I can with all her tour dates. You can also get extra extra fun with us over at our Patreon Patreon dot com slash That's messed Up. We've got fun stuff going on over there, and yeah, let's get going. All right, So today we are doing Murdered at a Bad Address. This is from season twenty one. It's episode six, came out on Halloween excuse me twenty nineteen. Thank you for mentioning that Rozie first Halloween and wait, yeah, she was Rosie the Riveter.
Speaker 2: This is really cute remember that. Wait also one of my favorite actresses in this episode.
Speaker 1: Ooh, let me know when we get there, I will. So we open on casual Saturday, Benson with the cow well sex. I don't know why, no Benson causually having sex. We wish. I mean, we open on casual Saturday, Benson with Noah, you know, walking through the city. It's a sunny ass day. He's like, can I get ice cream? And she's like before dinner. He's like please, And then someone calls out Olivia's name and it's her long lost brother, Simon Marsden, who we all remember she tracked down in season eight. He was in the episodes Philadelphia, Florida and Screwed, and then he was back in season thirteen Child's Welfare where he was like asking live to help with his family issue, and now here he is again in season twenty one, and he and Noah introduced each other themselves to each other, and Benson tells Noah go get some ice cream. Run along. She says run along, which I think is like so funny, it's like from a book. And Noah's like Simon's like, who's Noah And she's like, Noah's my son. And he's like, I have a nephew and you didn't tell me and she's like uh and he's basically like, yeah, that's on me.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I haven't been in touch in like seven seasons. And she's like, what are you doing here, Like I haven't heard from you. And he's like, well, I move back to New Jersey. I'm working at Carpet King And she's like, what about your family And he's like, well, I don't know how they're doing. My ex like took the kids and I haven't seen them since I last saw you, so seven seasons.
Speaker 2: And he said, wasn't he like cleared of the cron Like what happened? What am I missing? Should I have done a deep dive, like I don't remember, like I remember there was issues with his the kids and she hired Andre Bauer for them.
Speaker 1: Maybe it doesn't have to do that.
Speaker 2: Other one where like he's accused of a crime but he was getting framed.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I think it has to do with the fact that he starts using drugs. That's probably why the wife left. I don't know, but that was that's a good question. But I feel like it's probably because those he started doing drugs, because then he's like, I thought about asking you to help me track them down, but I always end up making more trouble for you. And he's like, let me make it up to you. Can I take you and know what a lunch and lives like I do not want to do lunch and he's begging. He's like, come on, please don't say no. I've been clean for five years. And he like shows his arms to her. So I'm like assuming he was like doing heroin or something, or maybe it's to show that he's not shaking. I don't know, but like he's like, you're my only family. Please, like Wednesday, it's my day off. You pick the place, you pick the time, anywhere you want to go, I'll show up. And she gives it. You know, he's your only family in the entire world. And she didn't even know he existed until, you know, thirteen years ago.
Speaker 2: And at least he's self aware that he's caused a lot of problems for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, And then we cut to a hospital where a cutie young girl is like tucking this elderly patient into her bed and telling her how Bronx has eight graduates who have won Nobel Prizes and she's gonna be the ninth. And my cousin did go to Bronx Science. It's a very good school. And she's like, I don't think he's gonna win a Nobel prize. Sorry if you're listening bash, but he's very smart. And her name is Loope this girl, and now Loope is on the streets and she's walking, she's eating an ice cream and she's unbothered and living her best life, listening to some generic pop tune about girls ruling the world. That's like me and my girls are in charge or whatever. And these guys like cat call her and she's like dream on. One of the guys goes, she's a HERB but smart. It's hot too, and I fully had to google HERB even though in contacts I could tell it's like a dork. But it's kind of funny that the guy goes, yeah, she's a dork, but I guess being smart is also hot progressive. And so she's now walking up the stairs to her apartment building it's not good. We're the cute pop star girlly moment is over, like it feels dark, the music is changing, and we feel like someone is following her. We keep hearing door slam and she lives in the projects, as I should mention as well, like she's going through a bunch of dark stairwells, different you know. And then her ice cream cone drops on the ground as someone grabs her, puts a hand over her mouth, and then the purp wraps her headphone cord around her neck and we hear her like crying, and then we cut to the credits. So at the crime scene, Rollins arrives, the crowd is heckling her. They're like five oh is always five oho minutes late. And then they're like no city cameras to protect our girls, but plenty of mugshots for our boys and Finns like we're svu, ma'am, like we're literally the only people that help people like leave us alone, And then inside Loope is getting rolled past them in a stretcher. Cat Tamina is on the scene. Her name is Lupe Perez. She's fourteen. She was assaulted in the stairwell. She's in shock. She didn't even want to leave her sister upstairs alone. So her mom is working late at a late shift at a donut place, and the cameras are all busted as usual, and Finn is surprised to find out that Kat is a former Projects kid, and she goes, yeah, go honest, and she goes and there's no such thing as a former Projects kid. So that's kind of a fun thing about Kat. I didn't know, not like fun, but an interesting part of her background that I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I wish everyone knows my thoughts. She should have gotten another she should.
Speaker 1: Have gotten on more chances. Finn tells Kat to ride with Loope to CAAC because they've kind of developed a rapport, and that's the Child Advocacy Center. So now we're there and Lupe is telling Kat like, yeah, the exam hurt and live is like watching through the glass when Caresie arrives and lives downloading him Like we got nothing on the rape kit, no fluids, no hairs. I mean I said this in a recent episode. I don't understand how these degenerates are not leaving any evidence, Like I really don't stand like how they're getting that all to happen, but live like it's one thing to be dexter, you know what I mean, It's one thing to have a kill area set up, and like you know how to or you work in forensics, you know how to cover these guys. I just don't believe it. But anyway, lives giving Kat a chance to take the lead on this like interrogation or not interrogation questioning of Loupe. Lupe's describing like I was trying to scratch him for DNA. She's obviously watched us for you before. But she goes, he had me choked with my headphone cord. She's like, I remember his hands smelled bad, like a woody smell, and she was like, like a pencil sharpener smell. And she goes, well, did he say anything? And Lupe said, he said, okay, Chikita, do it nice for Poppy. And Lupe was like, you know, my real dad died, My real Poppy died. And he said if I didn't do it, he would go upstairs to my little sister Giselle. And so now we know this guy knows this family somehow, right, And she says, then he pulled down my pants and she's like, please, don't tell anyone. I don't want anyone to know. She's like immediately like feeling this shame. So it's really sad. And then Benson and Rollins are now talking to Lupe's mom and she was like, I was working. My husband died two years ago from that nine to eleven cancer. And she starts crying, blaming herself. It's like her second job. And they were like, they're like, it's not your fault, like we think he knew her. And is there anyone, like a neighbor or a teacher that you've seen paying too much attention? But the mom says no, Like she's a RG she's always at the library, in the lab or she's babysitting her sister.
Speaker 2: Everyone's just roasting this girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's look, she's got her eye on the Nobel prize. And then at the precinct, the gang is brainstorming. They're like, well, we cleared all the registered sex offenders. That was quick. They found all the registered sex offenders and they were all busy, no witnesses. Kat says that Loop said the guy smelled like wood callous hands, maybe like a worker at the projects. Suddenly Rollins gets a hit on the touch DNA from Loupe's headphones and done, done, they match a double homicide rape in the wave View projects in far Rockaway from two thousand and three. So now Live is breaking it down. She goes, this is a closed rape and double murder from sixteen years ago. So was the DNA tested by mistake? And they said, that's what's confusing to me, Like why was the DNA not tested originally? Because the touch DNA that was found on Loope's headphones was found under the fingernails of both victims in the two thousand and three case, and that was a mom who was strangled to death and her daughter was sexually assaulted and then strangled to death. So two kids were collared for this, a fifteen year old who turned States on Carlos Hernandez, who was eighteen and was the son and brother of the victims. But neither of their DNA matches what they found on Loope, So there was a third accomplice who was never caught, Like, I don't understand why they wouldn't have kept looking for that person. Carlos is serving twenty five to life in green Haven and Finn's like dude with a bid that long. I don't know if this guy hasn't talked already, he's not going to talk now, and about like a third accomplice essentially, and lives like, well, maybe he'll think he can cut a deal if he sees a DA. And the other guy, Ricardo, who goes by Ricky, he got out a year ago and he's back in the Far Rockaway Projects and his PO is on vacation. So Rollins is like, so this guy's doing life for murdering his mom, raping and murdering his sister. And there was a third set of DNA on the victims, and Finn's like, yeah, why check DNA when you have confessions and Kat goes, yeah, it's the projects. They were murdered at a bad address, and that's it's Chinatown, Jake, you know that's Kat's naming the episode. So drink, I guess unless you're driving. Finn and Careesi are at green Haven talking to Carlos Hernandez, who is played by Guiermo Dia. That's my favorite and we love him and I love him and everything.
Speaker 2: Favorite guy. He's so talented and he's so hot and he's so cool and.
Speaker 1: He's also I'm realizing I really thought I looked this up last night, and maybe I didn't.
Speaker 2: He was an o OC eight episodes or three teams.
Speaker 1: He was in OC, but he was in another episode of SVU called Justice Denied from season thirteen, which is a Bayard Ellis episode that is also about being wrongly convicted. Sorry to like ruin it now, but I think we're going to find out. So Omar Pana is in the Navy and they got him to confess. Benson got him to confess, but he's been claiming his innocence ever since then and said the confession was made under duress. So that's what happens. But okay, so back to this episode. We love Gierramo Diaz, so he's Carlos Hernandez and they're like, come on, Carlos, we know there was a third guy with you. And he goes, oh, okay, so you know who did it? And he goes because it wasn't me and Ricky. I could never hurt my mom and sister. And he says that night he and Ricky were just hanging and they go, well, why'd you confess then, and he goes, well, they told Ricky he'd cut a deal. And be out in fifteen. And they told Carlos if he didn't confess, he'd get the death penalty. So they're saying, give up your accomplice to him and we'll cut a deal with you. And he's like, what accomplice. I wasn't even there when it happened. I swear to god. I came home and I saw my mom and my sister dead and CARIESI asks him where him and Ricky were hanging out the night and he looks at the CEO in the room and then turns back and he goes, I can't say, and Finn's like, this guy's lying, but Carlo's like, I'm not, and then he goes, look at this letter Ricky wrote me he's and he shows them this handwritten letter from Ricky that like apologizes for getting him put away, and he goes, you know, we weren't angels back then, but I love my mom. I would never have done that to her. And Finn's like, well, cough up an Alibia, We're done here, and Carlos goes, thank you for your visit and leaves. So something is not adding up here. Rollins and Tammine roll up on this woman named Savannah Baker, and she looks like her name is Savannah. She's an older woman with a Southern accent, and she's like, the kids call me Mom's Baker. And they're asking if she knows where Ricky is, and she's defending the two boys, saying Carlos wouldn't hurt a june bug, and if Ricky threw himself on the floor, he'd miss and he goes, where I come from, this is called railroading, and then he goes. She goes, right, honey, to Rollins, because she could just tell Rollins this is a Southern girl right away, and she says the detective and the prosecutor had the wrong boys, but they didn't care. And she said Ricky came out of jail a year ago with not with the bug and they're like, oh HIV and she's like, no, full blown aids. I told he told moms that he had lied on Carlos and then sadly he passed away last week. She goes, you know who's responsible for Ricky's death? Detective who brought these guys in? Why don't you talk to his ass? So now we're at Detective Monty's place and this guy lives obviously in Staten Island, and he's just like a lug nut of a man. He looks like he's choking down a piece of meat while he's trying to talk to Rolinson to me and they're like, so you're retiring down to Florida and he's like, yeah, I spent my whole life colloring low LIFs like Ricky and Carloston. I don't want to die in the snow. And then then they cut out to show his above ground pool, you know, feels like a dig and then he asks Cariesy Carisi, you related to Tony Nooe's Carisi up in Tote Hill, and Carisy goes, I don't know. My mom says all Caris's are related anyway, and the guy is like gross, He's like he's saying all this shit. He goes, I saw the scene and I knew it had to be Banjos or Bongos racist. He said the vics were prs. I don't know if that's Puerto Ricans. The mother was a crack pouton. The daughter was thirteen but built like she was twenty three. So he's also a pervert. And he goes, Carlos was a big dopey, strewns horny as a bag of cats, and Rowins is like, really for his own sister, and he goes, yeah, Ricky flipped in like an hour, we cleared it. Why do you too care? And they explained the DNA hit like on the Loope case, and he goes and this dumb fuck says, well, I know it wasn't their first time. There were like three or four rapes of teenage girls at other projects. So he doesn't address the fact that he never looked into this other set of fingerprints. He just says, I knew it was these guys. There were other rapes around. They confess that's it. So back at the precincts, Cat is digging into some Canoli's that Careesi brought from Staten Island, and Yum Caresy thinks these confessions were coerced. We're not looking for a third guy. We're looking for the guy who got away with it, and maybe this guy's a serial who's been at it for sixteen years. They're gonna cross reference the maintenance workers at Loupe's building to see if any of them worked out wave View sixteen years ago. So a little later they're reviewing the info, and they found twelve housing project rapes around the time of these two thousand and three murders, and the vics were like twelve or thirteen same memo, strangled with the cord, nobody saw his face. So they also found eighteen guys that worked at both places that were workers, but ten of them can be ruled out because they're either black, dead, or disabled, and like none of the girls all described them as being white or Hispanic, so they could rule out some of them. So we need warrants for the remaining eight guys who worked at both projects and fit the timeline, and Chrisey's like, wanta you ask for nine? Why not make it a full baseball team? And then they're like He's like, you got a narrow it down. A judge's never going to sign off on this for me. And then Live leaves Rollins to like run down these eight dudes, and she's like, I got to run to lunch with my brother and Rollins is like, what's he want? And she's like to get to know Noah and he goes and Rollins goes you believe him, Like she's giving Benson a little bit of s and Benson goes, I do, and she walks out, and now we're at the Jacob Lawrence Houses, which is where Loope lives, and Finn goes to question this guy Tim Stanton, who is played by Happy Anderson and Like. He's in another episode of as View called Hardwired, and has also played Jerry Brudos in two separate projects, including Mine Hunter. One of my favorites whoa Jerry Brudos is the lust Killer, the shoe fetish slayer. Jerry Brudos is also someone who's crime we covered in the season four episode Tortured. It's episode one hundred and fifty three of our podcast in case you're wanting to revisit. But that's kind of interesting that this guy like keeps playing this like you know, he's like a redhead. He keeps playing this killer. So they want to talk to him, but he's like, I'm really busy, and he's like, what do you want. There's all kinds of sketchy people around here, and I don't really have a head for faces, and Rollins is like, that's cool. Why do not just give us your DNA and we can exclude you And he's like, my DNA in the system that ain't happening. Who know that is what the government's going to do with that. He's like, I feel sorry for the girl, but I got places to be so Rob Rollin's is about to call Careesi because this is the first dude to refuse, but then eagle eye Finn spots I guess a cigarette, but I couldn't make out what it was, but he picks up something out of the ground and grabs it with a cloth and he's like, don't even worry about it, Like we got him. So Live is at lunch with Noah waiting on Simon, telling Rollins okay, like put a rush on it, and Simon isn't there yet. Noah's impatient. He doesn't want to miss dance class.
Speaker 2: On Noah's side, sorry he should't have to miss dance class.
Speaker 1: But like, just get a BLT before dance class. Everybody calmed down, you know, like what I ordered?
Speaker 2: Order?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you have a kid with you, nobody cares if you order. So Benson's like shaking her head and she's like telling the waitress, can you look out for him? Check one more time if he's in the restaurant. My brother, who looks kind of like twenty thousand other people in New York City, and then she calls Simon and she leaves him for Benson. I would say a scathing voicemail, going, I knew this was a bad idea. Don't call me back. Actually, just don't ever call me.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, just gotta belt before dance class. But then that's the end of act one. So then the next morning, Tamen confirms that Stanton's ID is a match for Loupe's case and the case of the two other girls. So now fu once again, once again an amazing actor. You know, like this guy didn't even flinch when they were acting about these crimes, right, He's like.
Speaker 2: No, I loved the line read because it was also really casual. I feel like sometimes when people reject DNA tests and stuff their aggressive or like he really was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I don't know, I don't in the system.
Speaker 2: Like the line read was so casual and I appreciated it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's definitely kind of like not giving guilty, except for the fact that he refused the DNA, which is like, honestly, something Munch would do. You know, Munch is like, I'm not getting my benning these days. Everyone would Yes, yes, So now everyone is fired up to get this guy. But Benson's like, hold up, touch DNA on the headphones isn't super strong? Why don't we see if Lupe can I d this guy. They're gonna try to get Stanton into a lineup again, like why would he do that? He's so busy, he's got places to be.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna say, that's like another thing he did really well where it's like he was busy working, but he wasn't like rushing. It was like a slow demeanor. I guess that's what it is, that like help, the casualness, but.
Speaker 1: He wasn't doing that thing like in the sketch that they did where it was like people like moving boxes like aggressively while they're talking to detectives.
Speaker 2: But also this part of the episode is ridiculous, Oh well, just say he needed a help. Why not? It's like, why would they pick any other officer in this bustling building, Like what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: They're like, we're gonna say that we need his help nailing the guy that we think we got the guy, And I guess maybe they sometimes depend on some of these serial guys, like serial rapist serial murderers are always kind of cocky about wanting to be close to the investigation but not get caught. So maybe like them saying, hey, we're gonna come in for a lineup. We want you to come in for a lineup, but it's to exclude someone else we think we got the guy was like a perfect thing for him to be like, Okay, I'll get closer to this, but like, I'm safe, right. I don't know. I don't know what they're thinking. I don't know why in the world the guy would say yes, But yeah, they're like, well he thinks the cops. I think that's a totally good Yeah, they say, he thinks the cops always fuck up, so maybe he'll go for this. So then in Benson's offense, she tells Rollins, you know, we could also have Loope do a voice id, and then Rollins is like, okay, cool, I want to apologize to you for being out of line when I was, you know, talking shit about Simon with my eyes, you know, And Benson's like, no, you aren't out of line, and she's like, I don't need to confuse Noah about his life anymore or his past, and that door is staying closed, so she, you know, is telling Rollins like, actually, your instincts were correct. So now they're at the lineup. They actually got Stanton to do it, and they ask all the guys to say, Okay, Shakita, do it nice for Poppy that line, and then they get the first guy to say it, and then Stanton goes, I don't feel comfortable saying this, and immediately Lupe is like, it's him. It's him, it's him, Like he just he makes such a big deal being like I don't want to say this or whatever. And now they've got Stanton in cement room bars claiming to have done work in Loupe's apartment. So that's I moved the headphones out of the way so she wouldn't they wouldn't get wet when I was working on the sink, you know, like and they're like, okay, yeah, and let's say you.
Speaker 2: Did do that, Like why would you ever remember that? Like even remembering touching a headphone because of the sink is like a right, a.
Speaker 1: Clue you've been yeah, and they're they're like, yeah, but it also popped on this case from sixteen years ago, and he goes the double murder and it's like, maybe don't act like you know exactly what other crime they're talking about. Like, if you've been working at the projects for sixteen years, between various projects, you've seen a couple other people end up dead somehow, right like, and you immediately go the double murder like you like okay again, he goes, well, if my DNA was at their house or at the place of that double murder, it's because I was working in their apartment and they're like under their fingernails, like your DNA was under their fingernails. And then he goes, I think I need a lawyer, So hey, you lawyers up, and Benson says it's hard to pin a double murder on this guy when two guys have already gone down for it, and Careesy tells them, why don't you have arrest stance in based on Lupe's voice ID. Then he goes to green Haven and they're showing him picks. They're showing Carlos picks of different handymen, right, and Finn is explaining to him how to use an iPad. He goes, you just swipe because he's been in jail for sixteen years, right like, there was no swipe technology. He picks out Stanton. He goes, this guy, Yeah, we waited over a year for him to come fix my mom's kitchen cabinet. He's positive. I remember because there was a family of mice living under the kitchen sink and I was too scared to open it. He goes, now, I live with rats, and yeah, he simply doesn't sound like a guy who would have murdered and raped his own sister and mother. He's too scared to open a cabinet because of mice, Like, that's not this. It's just like a classic example of how truly murdered at a bad address. Like you don't get a good lawyer, you don't get like any kind of benefit of the doubt at all. And this kid clearly doesn't seem like someone from the family had to come home and find the bodies. You know, why would you just assume it's this kid? But I guess he wouldn't get up his alibis. So he remembers Stanton asking his sister Jacinta to show him her Shakira dance moves, and he thought that was weird. So there was no forced entry, which means they probably let him in. You always let those guys in, right, they think it's possible. They're like, but why would he kill them? They're like, well, we think it's possible. He was assaulting your sister and then your mom came home and he had to kill them both to shut them up because now they've seen him and everything, so he had and they're like, did he confess? And they're like no, and he's like, well, with this DNA and with Ricky testifying, and that's when they have to break it to him that Ricky is no longer with us, and Cariese says, we have the DNA and Ricky's letter, the Queen's DA will take a look, and then he goes, is the Queen's DA still keen? Finn goes sixteen years like the Mummy's hand. This guy won his election to be DA off of Carlos's conviction, and Carisey goes, but I know a guy in the DA's office in Queens who I trust. So he cut to Cares at a restaurant and who walks in but prison Break hottie Wentworth Miller and he is playing Queen's Ada Isaiah Holmes, and he asks, how's the jump from Detective to eightya going, and Carisey goes, I miss my gun and the pay cuts no fun. And I was shocked to hear this because I think of Barbara is like, so, Bougie's going skiing in stad and like, you know, like wearing nice suits and shit. So I but I googled it and in my rough google it said that Manhattan Detectives make and this is now obviously, but this episode's only from seven years ago make around one hundred and twenty to one hundred and thirty seven K, and an Ada straight off of passing the bar makes ninety K to start, but then it increases.
Speaker 2: Barbara, do you think he worked in the private sector then went to go do defense maybe or does other cases? Because how el because he had that other friend. Maybe he just dresses nice, like maybe he met at what yeah, what I mean.
Speaker 1: He went to Harvard, so that's how he's like met some of these other guys that are like yeah up, you know yeah so, but yeah, who knows, I mean, who knows. Maybe maybe Barbara's got a side hustle. I have no idea, but he tells Holmes, I still remember what you said my first year of Fordham law better one hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be condemned, and Holmes goes, you know, I was quoting Voltaire, and of course Carisi knows that. Cariese's like, I knew that, but you still said it and I remember it, and he's like, have you taken a look at the file and Holmes is like, well, yeah, I looked at it. Carlos had a terrible lawyer. He and Ricky were kids and they had their lives taken from them. But he explains it's hard enough to get a case overturned, let alone a double homicide plus rape that my boss built his career on, and Caresee's like, of course, but surely after he hears the preponderance of his sculpatory evidence, like the way he said that seventh sentence to me was hilarious to me, and he goes, oh. Holmes goes, you don't know about Keene then, and Caresee looks confused. And now we cut to the top of act three. We're in Keene's office.
Speaker 2: I just can't even believe this part, honest believe, it's very deep. I'm like, what, why would this be allowed in real world?
Speaker 1: Like what, yes, I mean I don't know. Government is corrupt. Like if you keep this kind of things under wraps, then the deputies can kind of like run everything as puppet masters behind this guy. But essentially they roll this guy Keen out in a wheelchair. He's out of his mind. He's in the throes of dementia. He's a second away from drooling. Yes, he's like looking into the distance talking to Holmes and Careese like their young law school students, telling them don't quit law schools, telling them facts about Shay Stadium. This man has like lost his marbles and he goes, yeah, just leave the file on my desk. And you look over to this desk that's just like teeming with files that this guy's not gonna ever look at, right. So Kreese's explaining the whole mess to Benson like Stein's Keene staff has been covering up his dementia. And she's like, are we talking like in and out or And he's like, no, we're talking like he didn't know like who we were. It was like, you know, not good. She's like, can't someone step up? Like we've got three more hits on Stanton's DNA plus a witness and Carise he's like, well, Keene is useless, but maybe Holmes can get Carlos a retrial. So then a uniform is like, hey, guys, Stanton's lawyer wants to talk to you guys. So now we're in cement room bars, Coresi and Benson are across from Stanton and his lawyer.
Speaker 2: And his lawyer is oh, I didn't really recognize him.
Speaker 1: Well, his lawyer is not anybody I recognize, but his name is ron Fredo and he's been in a bunch of other episodes, like he was in Eternal Relief from Pain Guardians and Gladiators, Dutch Tears, which is that big Finn episode, and he was in an episode of shadow Work that the episode shadow Work, which was a cross with with OC. It was an episode of OC, but it was a cross with US few, so we talked about it. Oh and the episode Carousel he was in, So yeah, he's he's been out there defending scumbags. But the lawyer's is sleeves Ball and he's like, can.
Speaker 2: You please look at Patrick Kean's IMDb photo Larry Brigman Old, look at Larry Brickman, b rygg Man.
Speaker 1: He looks like he would play Fritzel in a movie like the guy who had his kids underneath?
Speaker 2: Are we looking at the same photo. He's wearing a sea captain's hat and he's drowning in a water.
Speaker 1: Yes, but in the in the other photos that come up with him from Google, he looks like Fritzel in the sea captain's hat. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Why would that be his IMDb five, I am drowning toothless. He has no teeth, drowning in a sea captain's hat. Like, what is happening?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. He's in die Hard with a Vengeance. I don't know what this picture is from. I wish it would tell us. Oh, Salty from his character's name is Salty, but I don't know. Hold on, maybe I can. We got to watch Salty. Okay, wait, wait where is it?
Speaker 2: Salty?
Speaker 1: Side by Each a movie he's in called side by Each from two thousand and eight. Salty's in the water and a captain's hat. Anyway, give it up for Brigman. He will post it on her install because he's Salty forever for us. So CARESI and Benson are sitting across from Stanton and his lawyer Fredo this guy and he's they're like, will luh, we'll cop to forcible touching in Loupe's case, and he's like a sleeve ball and he goes Juri's love me. And they hate cops, especially cops turn lawyers. I don't know if any jury is ever like, hey did that da used to be a cop, Like, I don't think that's happening. But then they're like, well, we have you on six rapes, so the jury's gonna hear from Lupe and a lot of other girls and Cariese's like, if he confesses to the Hernandez murders, maybe we can swing criminally negligent homicide and rape two on the other six and Stanton says, I ain't festened to no crack home murders and I ain't coppin to no pedo rapes. No short eye please like those Mos Torres and Hernandez did. He wasn't talking like this before. I don't understand what a short eye plea is, but it seems racist. It sounds racist. I don't know what it is. But they go, well, what do you know about that? And he goes, I don't know how Carlos lasted sixteen years at green Haven. Everyone knows he's up, and he says a the f slur for gay. Right, So this is an interesting piece of the puzzle that we did not know about. Damn, you sure know, and I wrote, I wrote in my notes, Damn you sure know a lot about some random eighteen year old kid in the building you did maintenance at sixteen years ago. Like, if you're innocent, how do you know so much about this fucking guy, Carlos?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So they walk out and the lawyer goes, if you insist to the murders and child rapes, we'll go to the mat in my ring. He says that to Carees, So Careese goes, well, Carlos told us he had an alibi for the night of the murders, but he wouldn't talk about it, and now maybe you know why. So now Finn and him are back at green Haven talking to Carlos about a retrial, and he's like, well, I can't have the DA asking me any questions, and Cariese's about to dig into the personal stuff. So Finn turns to the CEO and goes, can you give me a few minutes because these guys are like half the time, like bought by gangs. You can't like say anything in front of one of these guys, of course. Yeah, So caries tells him, we know you're gay. Yeah, No, Carisa goes, nothing you tell us. Yeah. He goes, we think we know why you're not telling us about your alibi. And nothing you tell us leaves this room if you don't want it to. Where were you on that night and he goes Plum Beach in Brooklyn and Carisa goes, that's a boy meets boy beach right off the belt Parkway. He goes, yeah, it was. It was my first time me and Ricky hooked up. It was a beautiful night before I came home and found my mom and sister dead. And Cariese's like, well, come on, man, people come out of the closet. Times have changed, and Carlos goes, not in here. Out of the closet means into a casket. If they find out I'm gay, the gangs will turn me into a maytag and he goes, I'll get bitched out until I get the bug like Ricky. So He's like, I know I'll never go free, but can you at least find out where my mother and my sister are buried. I have nightmares that they're somewhere like worse than me, like in unmarked graves, and Cariese is explaining now the situation to Holmes, who goes and did you bring me this news because I'm gay. I didn't know this. Isaiah Holmes is gay and Carisy goes, no, that's not why, but it doesn't hurt. And I also know you have a justice Jean under there somewhere, and Holmes goes, well, maybe we can get him protective custody. But Cariese's like, with this guy's history PTSDD depression, he could take his own life. And Holmes is like, I need a night sleep to figure out what Voltaire would do. So now we're at the projects where Loope lives again. Benson is talking to Lupe and her mother and the mom is like, not wanting Lupe to testify, she's been through enough, and the lawyers goes thell Doya is they'll trick ha and Lupe is like, they can't catch me in a lie if I tell the truth, and Kat promises we'll prep her like we've got her, and the mom is like, you don't have to do this, and Lupe's like, mom, if he goes free, what if he goes after Giselle? And Benson's like, okay, we'll be in touch. Like Lupe is a starred perse child, like she is so brave and smart and cool, and Benson's like, gotta go. We'll be in touch. And then she gets a phone call and she looks like she's been punched in the fucking gut, and she goes, I'm on my way, and she tells Kat, get your ass home yourself. I have a family thing. So now Benson is in the hospital and she is iding the body, the dead body of her brother, Simon Marsden, which we do know is going to happen because we have already covered the episode Trick World at the Mulan, So even if you're like not an SVU a watcher, you might remember that her brother was found dead at this hotel. Melinda is there. As she's idaing the body, she looks upset. He died of an ode of heroin that was laced with fentanyl. There were no signs of foul play, and Benson's like, well, he told me he'd been sober, and Melinda goes, he was telling you the truth. Most likely, if I had to guess, he'd been clean for a while, And that's like that happens a lot of times. Like that's I think what happened to Amy Winehouse, Like she'd been clean for a while and then she died just the time she went back to it. Because it's like a shock to your system, I think, so said. She says, it's not a large enough dose for it to be a suicide. And he just got his hands on the wrong stuff. And we find out later, you know, he was kind of peer pressured into partying with some guy he knew. And Melinda asked, yes, were you guys close, and she goes, not really, but he was my only family and she starts crying, and there's a moment where she debates touching his cold, dead face, and then she thinks better of it and doesn't do it. But it's sad. I don't like to see Benson's head like again, they can't let live be happy, they can't let her have a nice boyfriend, they can't let her She's got this tenuous, this you know, sort of bad relationship with her mom from when she was younger, who died, And that's like, you know, conflicting for her, and now the brother is gone and that's truly now all she has in this world is Noah. And maybe she would consider Stabler, but at this point she hasn't talked to him in years. Maybe so In Queen's Court, Holmes tells Cares some good news. Keen signed the vacate order. Salty, way to go salty, and he goes, how'd you get him to do that? And he goes, he might have thought he was signing a law school recommendation letter. So we're just at the point where this were weekend at Bernie's seeing this fucking DA, I mean, like the wait da right from Queen's Like he's the full DA for Queens, and we're just like propping him up and like having him sign things, and Cariese's like, I didn't hear that, you didn't say that. Let's get this done. So now we're in the courtroom. They vacate Carlos's conviction. The judge apologizes to Carlos for him losing sixteen years of his life. They take his ankle chains off, And the sad thing I always think of is in this kind of situation, like what does he do now, Like hopefully he has family on the other side. But from eighteen years old, he's been behind bars. Now he's a thirty four year old man. Where's he gonna go? I mean, like there are organizations, but like this is why recidivism is so bad. You can like put the like I mean, hopefully he files a suit and gets you know, Queens pays him a million dollars, so you can fucking you know, get an apartment. But Finn's like, you can walk like a man. Now, Carlos and CARRIESI goes a freeman. So and then Carlos just kind of like shuffles out of the courtroom. So now, and he is hot, and I think we all need to remember that. I think I think he's gonna be okay. Indeed, indeed, I think he's gonna get a settlement. And I think he's gonna hit the West Village. I hope so Hell's kitchen. I could see him in a nice little roomy Hell's kitchen apartment. So now they're telling Lupa's mom that Stanton is pleading guilty to the two murders, but they're not going to try him on her rape or these other rapes, which the mom seems annoyed about, but they reassure her, like, he's not getting out of jail for a long time. In this way, Lupe doesn't have to testify, and you know, I think it's kind of worth it. He's going away for a long time. You don't have to be in a room with him ever again, you know. And Kat's like, let me give you a ride home, And then Benson looks despondent and Roland asks her if she's okay. She's like no, tells her about Simon dying, and she tells Roland's about the message that she left on the phone for him, and she's like, what if my message is the last thing that he heard? And Rollins is like, you don't know that. Like with the life he led, it was just his time, you know. But we find out later kind of it wasn't even really. I mean, I don't think anyone like forced him to do the drugs, but he was right, didn't the guy like say let's go out, Like, yeah, I was bad, but he was sad.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember that.
Speaker 1: So do you said the Mulan rouge And I was like, what the.
Speaker 2: Fuck is she talking?
Speaker 1: It was the episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and then well, now that's even more clear. But then I remembered the hotel when you mentioned it. But yeah, I yeah, it's like I was team Hustlers. So that was tough. That was a tough case for me.
Speaker 1: Tough.
Speaker 2: It's always it's always tough when I sided with the criminals.
Speaker 1: Well, so the last scene, they're at the cemetery in Jamaica Queens and Carlos is putting flowers on the graves of his mom and his sister. Finn and Carisi are there looking on. Carlos notices that the stone looks new. Carisi goes, yes, so people read about your case. There was a GoFundMe and Carlos goes, what's that and it's like sad He's literally missed out on like sixteen years of life, Like that's another thing, like can you you know, like you got to like it's like getting out of a coma or something. And he's like, how can I ever? Thank you to Cariesi and Finn, and then he cries on his sister's grave, and then they do a close up shot Coreesy looking really serious, and then there's a wide shot of the cemetery and then that's Dick wolf baby. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also they really did it in such a smart way with him not knowing these simple things or the iPad like it. Yeah, it's I love when little things show so d yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it's like they get TV. They're not totally like what's happening, like you know, but like they wouldn't know how to use like technology like that. I don't think, even though now it feels like everybody in prison has a phone. People are like tweeting from prisons. I don't know, but tell me everything.
Speaker 2: So Lewis and Scarcella scandal, scandal, this guy should be behind bars. The fact that bad cops get to keep their pension, the fact that the state and city has to pay these like out these cases, it's like all a mess. If I was I kind of feel like the miscongeniality like Gracie Hart. Like if I was in miss America and they were like, what do you want to change, I'd be like, cops have to pay out of their pension for their criminal.
Speaker 1: Is my number one? Like I think they would just less, that's your subway take.
Speaker 2: It's just not fun. I would rather do a kind of fun one. But I hope, but that is what I so believe, like I think they would shoot less people. Well, because I also saw this instagram once and it's like a dude was saying, like every black person in America should have life insurance policies because if there's wrongful death, like insurance companies get their fucking money, and that they're like, like that's where because they don't. They obviously lack humanity. So it's like either insurance. But I think if they had to pay out their own misdeeds and then they didn't get their pensions anymore, they must they I think would act better. Yeah, I think, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe I'm wrong. The corruption's too deep, but it's like, okay, whatever. So Lewis, he's the star detective right nineteen eighties Brooklyn nineties, known for making arrests, getting convictions. New York Times referred him as Batman, and Robin was this other detective Steve w Chamilli Chamil whatever. So their legacy of course tarnished. March twenty thirteen, when they're accused of lying and cheating this all the time to make high profile cases stick, a witness comes forward and says that he Lewis told him which suspect to pick out of a police lineup in a nineteen ninety murder of a Brooklyn rabbi.
Speaker 1: Okay, the two men were.
Speaker 2: Found to have let violent criminals out of jail to smoke crack and visit sex workers in exchange for incriminating David Ranta, who then served over twenty years.
Speaker 1: For this crime, this murder that he did not commit.
Speaker 2: In ninety two, they're caught on video letting a jail house in formant out of custody to meet his girlfriend and go shopping and like go out to e and like, so many misconduct cases after twenty thirteen start coming.
Speaker 1: Out, and so the lead DA Charles J.
Speaker 2: Hines, has to reopen like fifty six cases, okay, And these are fifty six cases that Lewis arrested that were that and these went a trial and these people were convicted a trial. So I need to tell you guys, there is decades of articles about this guy.
Speaker 1: Decades.
Speaker 2: There are seven full New York Times article pages only about Scarcella. I couldn't cover every single case because there is likedjuzzens of articles, truly, decades of articles about overturned convictions payouts inventing confessions, coaching witnesses, persuading people to change their description of perpse to match the suspect and custody multiple confessions they ended up finding with the exact same language, which is just it's just kind of impossible. But yeah, a bunch of people kept going, you got it right, I was there and that was the smoking gun. Truly is like this pattern and the similarities in language. Jabbar Washington, during the trial of a nineteen ninety five murder, had an alibi. Survivors of the shooting were unable to identify him in court, but that forced confession is what got him convicted. And that was that. Richard Leo, a lat professor, quoted, It's hard to imagine all five people use the same exact words. It almost sounds like a template.
Speaker 1: What's so crazy is like we've talked about police corruption in New York City, and like we talked about like the cerproco of it all, and that was like in the late sixties, and like there was another round of it in the eighties. Like they didn't get this guy, Like no, they didn't care.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah. So like so he had this forced confession. I mean to have an alibi confirmed and still be convicted of murder.
Speaker 1: So crazy.
Speaker 2: And then every year so like some of the article names, it's like fourteen more cases, two more trials, more settlements, another man freed, overturned, the city sued. It like doesn't end with this guy and how many lives he fucked up? An investigation said that, like in the Times, this twenty thirteen thing, that he turned to one woman that was addicted to crack time and time again. So this woman that's addicted to crack was able to testify in murder case after murder case.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then this Heinz guy.
Speaker 2: The Brooklyn DA did all these investigations, which is insane because it's like if a plane crashes, it's on the like the like the plane company doesn't get to investigate, you know what I mean, Like there's a review board. There's an independent safety board that would do that. So it's like they let the DA from the place and charge look at the cases, and a ton of these questionable convictions happened under him, so then he gets to then decide if they should stick or not.
Speaker 1: And then and then he started this conviction integrity unit. Lol.
Speaker 2: And David Ranta's who I mentioned earlier, who was Fossley in prisoned. His trial lawyer, Michael Baum is like, we've been screaming about this case for twenty years, and now he cares about wrongful convictions. Okay, Like they've been trying to get him out forever. So November twentieth, twenty twenty three, The New York Times reported all his overturned cases have cost New York one hundred and ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. It's like I actually do think that they should. I think that the cops pension should be drained, and then also the NYPD should have to pay, because if we just make it the cops pension, there's not enough, Like there's not enough for the people. But it's like it has to come out of their fire.
Speaker 2: It has to come out of something, and that's not our taxes, Like they are not punished one hundred and ten million dollars, Like mom, Donnie, let's get to work on that.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's what I like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And like nobody like this guy was working for thirty years before he got busted, Like nobody like rated on him, Like.
Speaker 2: That's give a ship. Between twenty fourteen and twenty twenty two, his cases represented about fifteen percent of the payouts the city spent. He retired in ninety nine. Thank god, so not more people wasted their fucking lives in prison. He has not been charged with any crimes, just bye official findings of bad practices, even though and he still insists he did nothing wrong. He still collects his pension, and the city and state money pays for all of his settlements.
Speaker 1: He was on a podcast called The.
Speaker 2: Burden, and I did not listen to it, but The New York Times said that he was like, I was just a cog in the machine. It's the system, and the crime rates were high. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Like does not give a fuck.
Speaker 2: He does not see these people as people in any capacity, like the way that fuck the cop talks in that episode. The DA's office tried to hide files that showed this. So this is like why the like with the DA being in charge of the investigation is so crazy. Is like they tried to files that showed the scope of all his fuck ups in the eighties and nineties, and then there was a computer slip up and the prosecutors accidentally sent opposing cons opposing council details and that's eesus. So unredacted files were sent out January twenty twenty four, five hundred and twenty four page PDFs sent on accident with everything that they tried to cover up. Oh my god. Derek Hamilton, who's an innocent's advocate, is like it's fucked up. They haven't worked hard with whatever they could to help people get out and made everything public, like he called it a mockery. He believes they are tired of paying out for all these cases, so now they're becoming like selective about what they reveal or not and being willing to keep these innocent people in prison. The police union obviously had his back. The quotes in the New York Times call Scarcella a good detective who has, in quotes, been dragged through the mud by agenda driven lawyers. Like people spent decades behind bars for kurb So all the people put tog other that served time that for crimes they were innocent, two hundred and fifty years in prison total. Oh my god. The people that he falls me people got convicted spent a total two hundred and fifty years in prison. One woman like died a few years after she was let out. One man who was just fourteen when was put in prison wrongfully died in prison at age thirty seven, so the settlement like went to his mother. One man let out of prison after twenty three years, then had a severe heart attack just two days later. The Conviction Review Unit in NYC was one of the first of the such units in the country, and since twenty fourteen, has overturned thirty seven convictions, and a third of those are Scarsala cases and Wikipedia. I did check because I was like, he must be in jail. Why can't I find a punishment? I was like, why can't I find a punishment? There just isn't. But in the known for it does say like twenty one overturned convictions in homicide cases. But what else he's known for his awards? He's won four chief of these awards for Outstanding Investigation.
Speaker 5: Duda.
Speaker 2: If that doesn't explain everything. In twenty seventeen, he was honored by the retired Detectives of New York Club to show their solidarity with this fucking loser. John Wilde, who organized the event, is quoted sadly as detectives we don't usually get our side of the story out. Louis has suffered in the papers and in his personal life, but for this one night he can be proud to have worn the shield. Like you think he suffered more than the people spent twenty I mean there were people spending twenty seven years in prison, twenty three years in prison, fourteen years in prison, ten years in prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Qualified immunity and statue of limitations also helped him evade legal consequences. And they just keep saying he's broke no laws and he should be in jail and it's fucked up.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then they're like people spit on him in the streets. I go, he's luckiest, throat's not slit ha ha. So then we have the teardrop rapist case and it's related to this wrongful conviction and eventual exoneration of Louis Vargas.
Speaker 1: Can you believe the names Louis, I'm like Louis, there are oh no, this is Louise. Now, this is Louise. We did not pick this as a way to promote our shirt. This is actually just happening as it does.
Speaker 2: This is Louise, because I've memorized Lois, like now I know, but Louise, So November twenty five because this actually you know when you're like, but the evidence in Matt how did this and more things happen like this kind of covers that situation. So November twenty fifteen, Louis Vargus rape canictions finally overturned after serving sixteen years in prison. His attorneys, after years of reaching out to the California Innocence Project, revealed that he did not commit the three rapes he was convicted for. The teardrop rapist actually is linked to more than thirty sexual assaults in LA starting in nineteen ninety six. The victims ranged in age from fourteen to twenty one, and they all happened in the morning, so between five and eight am. It's like he got people on their morning commutes. They have similar tattoos, so that's what fucked up. They both have tear drop tattoos. And then the victim positive IDs is what put this man away. And shaky eyewitness testimonies are the number one factor in wrongful convictions across the country, and that is true, but so jurors disregarded that there was witnesses to his alibi, including the manager at the bagel shop who said he was working there the morning of the attacks.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: After he was exonerated, he had to go to an immigration judge though, because he was like a permanent residence, so when he got convicted, they ended his green card, so he couldn't even be set free. He had to go straight to immigration after his wrongful conviction to be able to stay in the country. And the real rapist has never been caught, no way. So like Vargas, he was a suspect and then after his arrest and okay, so this is important. So like after his arrest, conviction and sentence, the attacks kept happening, so it's like.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: And so two took place before he was arrested, and then three more while he was in custody before the conviction even and you know, he works for the anti recidivism coalition. He speaks regularly about, you know, his wrongful conviction and is committed to helping others on their path back to society. And it took fifteen years of work to free him. And he was the longest serving wrongfully incarcerated in May in California history, according to the San Diego Union Tribune. And he did sue I couldn't find any information on the settlement though.
Speaker 3: Oh god, fuck, just bad cops boils my blood.
Speaker 2: And then awards and then it's like then you want us to be like only a few bad and it's like you gave them awards. The chief of D's gave him four awards for investigating.
Speaker 1: Cause like it's kind of like what the show makes it out to be, Like they don't really care about the I don't know, they don't care about like the humanity of it. They're like, what are your numbers? What are your numbers? Are you closing enough cases? And this guy was probably like closing his shits on of cases because he was rigging the whole system, paying witnesses like forcing IDs. Like that's wild shit. Oh my god, I hate him. I hate him. I can't believe they weren't able to prosecute him, because he would get killed in jail.
Speaker 2: He would have to be in solitary, he would hope.
Speaker 1: So a cop that's like fucked all these people up, he would just be murdered.
Speaker 2: I think immediately that would be a cool movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, thank you for doing all that research. I did not know about these cases, and.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, And I mean, if you're mad I didn't go more in depth into all the wrongful convictions, I'm sorry, but you can read them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that clearly was who they based Monty on. That this guy who's like talking while eating a honk of steak. He made me want to die.
Speaker 2: Okay, like young teen finds his mom and sister Like, like, I don't get it. I don't get why that would be your first suspect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they're probably like, we have no other leads, what are we gonna do? Let's get them, you know. Well, let's don't anybody go anywhere, because we've got a fun interview coming right up. Our guest today is an actor best known for playing serial killer Jerry Brutos in both mind Hunter and Monster the Ed Genes Story. He also has had recurring roles on Snow Piercer and The Nick Star of Stage and Screen. But you know him today as the very calm and collected rapist and murderer Tim Stanton. Please enjoy our chat with the lovely Happy Anderson. Hi. Happy, nice to meet you.
Speaker 4: Great to meet both of you.
Speaker 5: It was great to get that follow and I followed you back and I watched ton of clips and I loved it.
Speaker 2: That makes us happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're all talking. You just said that makes us happy. Your name is I had happy come from as a name, like just a little nickname, because you were like a happy kid.
Speaker 5: Or what's the Yeah, since I was, since I was a baby, since I was six months old, I've gone as happy. And as a matter of fact, early in my childhood I didn't even really totally get that my legal name was Eric. I sort of knew there was a name out there, yeah, you know. And I remember the first day of elementary school when they were taking attendance and missus Golden was like Eric Anderson Eric and and she finally stands right in front of me and it's saying, am like, whoever this fucking ic not listening.
Speaker 4: He's screwing the whole day up? Man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Does that anyone call you?
Speaker 2: Eric?
Speaker 1: Do you ever go buy it?
Speaker 4: Policeman and bill collectors?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's a deep, deep nickname.
Speaker 1: Were you a watcher of the Dick Wolf universe?
Speaker 4: USO? You know? I mean also, when we got here, in two now.
Speaker 5: I'm in la now. But when we got to New York in two thousand and three, that was like the main game in town. You know, the motherships for you criminal Intent and you know, so we watched all that stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: And the Mothership, it looks like, was like your first credit, like one of your first TV credits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally, yeah, I think it was my first.
Speaker 1: TV And then you did an SVU like a year later or something. Yeah, yeah, well that so hardwired.
Speaker 2: I want you to know. Very few funny, funny moments outside of certain detectives happened in SVU, but you're one of them.
Speaker 1: Your character in that Do you remember that scene? It was like that you were working.
Speaker 2: With a Namblo pedophile and the cops come and they're like, where's your laptop and you're just behind him and then yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: A fun moment.
Speaker 5: Whenever when I was doing this episode Murdered had a bad address. They were like, have you ever done this show before? And it was like, yes, ten years ago. Who did you play? I said a man with two lines, one of which was cut.
Speaker 2: But it's such a good moment and it's nice to have someone be like, no, get this pedophile. You know, you always hear people covering for each other, but it's like, yeah, you can fucking get out of here.
Speaker 1: But in this episode, you're not a good guy. And oh, dear, no, I noticed that you've also played Jerry Brutos in two different projects, which is wild. We're obviously familiar with his work. Do you do you are you more often playing like bad guys by far by far Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if and anything that's a that's like a straight offer like this was is always a bad guy? Yeah, A good to play a good guy, I really have to work for it.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: And did so when you had to prep once for this Jared Jerry Brudos And then again, were you like, Okay, I'm set or was there another set of kind of like no, I mean they do? Or were they different like what was the vibe of the projects and stuff?
Speaker 4: Totally different? I mean it couldn't have been more different than the vibe.
Speaker 5: And also the even though it had been a long time ago, the prep for mind Hunter Jerry Brudos was so extensive. Yeah, I'm so long that that by the time we got to Monsters several years later. And also Max Winkler, who directed that episode, is like, just so you know, this is going to be the opposite of Fincher, And he was right, like, we did everything in one take more or less, and menueil Fincher does like seventy takes, you know, so uh and it was I was really pleasantly surprised, but also kind of alarmed how easily I slid back to that character and the way he talks and everything.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, maybe this shouldn't come so easily.
Speaker 2: Wait, what is? Because I loved I love Fincher movies so much. Oh, I love watching everything. But then you hear stories of like you're on Clint's Eastwood said it's one and done. Everyone's chill, we're moving through, and everyone loves that, and then no one loves seventy takes and it feels like he drives people crazy, But then the product is so good. What are yeah? What's what? What does he need? What is he looking for a profession?
Speaker 4: Maybe well, he's a perfectionist for sure, and and uh so you know, one of his bestdies, apparently is Steven Soderbergh, who's literally his His motto is I tried to do everything in under one take, and so I had just come from The Nick onto mind Hunter, and so there was they couldn't be That's the Soderbergh's more in the Clint Eastwood School. I mean, the day are so short.
Speaker 5: One time, I did my part of three different episodes on The Nick in about four hours, which is like, wow, unheard of, and it's awesome, and that's an amazing way to work. But you need to know exactly what you're going to do and get in and get out. What made the Fincher thing so exciting was because the work was so intense and laborious. It felt more like like rehearsing a play for fifteen hours a day and then cameras just happened to catch it. It didn't feel like doing television at all. Oh interesting, yeah yeah. And the discussions around each scene, where you know, I'm a theater kid, so I don't not only do I not mind, I really like to go on and on about what's happening and motivations and the distinct relationships and everything.
Speaker 4: So I loved that, although we all were exhausted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to get on the pit. I heard that the pit is like they specifically hire a lot of theater actors because it's specifically they're shooting it like the theater style more. I guess, oh that would be cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think probably also because it's like a lot of technical language, so they probably just have to like rehearse and rehearse and rehearse to get all that done. But I could see you on the pit.
Speaker 2: And then do theme. Is it always specific notes or it's just like do it again? And then you find stuff out of it because it's like a rehearsal, you're always trying something.
Speaker 5: I would say very much both. I mean he's very very specific and then but then also you're encouraged to play and try stuff too. Yeah, I mean it's that time is such a blur.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It was like almost three weeks for three freaking scenes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So you just go and go and go and go till you can't go anymore.
Speaker 1: I loved mind Hunters so much, and Google knows that about me, and they kind of constantly give me, like you know, right below your Google it'll be like things you might be interested in, and it's like mine Hunter season three is it on its way back? And I'm always clicking on these articles, and they're like, no word yet, and I'm like, stop, stop clickbaiting me with talk of mind Hunter, But they keep saying that they're like people I guess really want a revival at this point of season three. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I love well, there's there's a lot of talk about a movie to finish. Sure, I don't know how close that is to coming to fruition, but I've heard from a lot of people directly involved that that's the next move they're angling for.
Speaker 1: I just think it's so interesting the guys that finally decided to start studying these guys, you know, like, why are we not figuring this out? Like I think there was just a time of it's an aberration. They're just a freak, you know, but like you gotta start like why is this happening a pattern? Yeah? Yeah, and all the guys, at least a lot of the different ones in mind Hunter, they're different, you know, there's not all Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what was it like being in the Bad Boys universe?
Speaker 4: Awesome? That was great.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, it was a last minute thing. I think I think I replaced a comedian actually, and so more or less that entire scene is improvised cool. Yeah, yeah, so that was pretty awesome. Two not so bad guys to do it with, too and Martin and Will and Will I think Will pitched me for that job because I had done Bright with him a couple of years before that, so that was that was kind of awesome. And I didn't I mean, I knew so little of what we were about to do that I didn't. It didn't bother me. They were improvising because I was like, I guess this is how this goes.
Speaker 2: You know, so you like it all because you know, with theater, I would assume you want some information, but you enjoyed the improvising very much.
Speaker 4: So yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The ideal thing is though the structure of a fully realized and developed character, and then to improvise within that.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the most fun.
Speaker 2: I think, what was your original bad guy role that that became. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I was a Thuggan and that was my first, like first time I had like a major arc in anything, you know, for like two seasons.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then you're in one of Kara's favorite shows, Clause. Oh yeah, I love Clause.
Speaker 1: But you know what I was going to ask you about is actually this show bar Kharma, this weird show for Current TV.
Speaker 4: Did you see that?
Speaker 1: Dude? I was on it episode of it? Oh my god. My boss was the executive producer of that show, like not like the showrunner, but like the executive producers. He was on set every day and he knew I was acting and do and doing comedy and stuff, and so he gave me like a little part on that show. So when I was looking at your IMDb, I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe this is an actual person that's done bar Karma. Like it was such a weird so show, but I'm glad.
Speaker 4: You that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't remember what.
Speaker 2: What is that show?
Speaker 1: What is bart?
Speaker 2: What is it? It's nonscript like a game show, no show, which was so weird.
Speaker 1: I feel like Current was trying to get into scripted and I can't even tell you.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember what it was like about, Like.
Speaker 4: It's I think time travel to some it's like.
Speaker 2: Time travel, yes, something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like.
Speaker 1: Did you see that?
Speaker 2: No, I was on.
Speaker 1: Crazy but this as VU episode murdered about address. So you we love when they first find you. We like thought your performance was so great that you that you were just like, yeah, I kind of know, I've been I know, it's not like I'm really busy. I got stuff to do, Like I mean.
Speaker 6: It was just such a casual, good take because usually people are like so stressed and it's obviously you really your character was really relaxed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well and when they hired me they said it specifically because of the mind Hunter thing, So I was like, well, if I'm the killer, then yeah, I have to be comfortable with it, right, you know, And.
Speaker 1: Because like a lot of times people will be like because the whole thing is they try to get you to say, oh, give your DNA, and then you'll just be cleared and you're like a lot of times you'll be like you want my DNA, No, I don't, I don't. You know, you were just like the government getting my DNA, I don't think. So, you know, like it was so relaxed that it was like this is the guy who's been getting away with crimes for two decades and he knows how to get out of shit, you know, like it's just so smooth. We don't know at the time when we first meet your character, we don't necessarily know you're the bad guy, but you play it smooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been a red herring, like you know, you're you were just the first person that they talked to. But no, because Karen mentioned like he's been getting away with it for so long. That's probably where his confidence and casualness comes from. And I wonder if he knew attacking these like people would give him that.
Speaker 1: Or if you learned that over time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like, I just wonder, well, when studying these people, it's like they that's what gives them the confidence, is like they do whatever they want and they get away with it. So but by the time someone is middle aged or older, it's like they're not going to catch me. They'll be silly.
Speaker 1: No, you even have the confidence when you kind of like drop the politeness in the next scene where they're the next big scene that you have where you're like saying all that stuff like I'm not I'm not festinto no pedal, Like you're saying all this like slash Suddenly you're just you're like the way you talk is different the character and you're still like, I don't know. There was a part where they were like, we have you something back in two thousand and three, and he goes, oh, the double murder. You know what, you're like telling on yourself. But you're still so confident that you know about this double murder. You know exactly what the time because.
Speaker 2: You did it.
Speaker 1: But you're not but you're like you're not even scared to talk. And then you're just like using racist and homophobic language and you're like I don't care, like I literally can. I'm the king of the world. I could have got I'm like a twenty year killer rapist who I do what I want. But what do you remember any like moments of shooting that, Like you had a sleeve ball lawyer, the sleeve Ball lawyer.
Speaker 5: That guy was funny man. I had ever met him before. He was like, hey, yeah, like he was that guy, you know. Uh, and he was a lot of fun that the first day of filling was that time when they first interviewed me in front of that building that was in the Bronx and uh, and I just remember everyone coming out to watch us and and uh, you know in the neighborhood and and and uh that that usually doesn't happen very much because sets are pretty like locked down pretty well, but like it everyone's coming out of their house and it was great.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed it. And Ice and I were.
Speaker 5: You know, we're talking and taking pictures and everything, and and it's like you could see the PA's like panicking and not knowing what to do and and uh and it was like, I don't know why, but I was perfectly comfortable. I was like, I relax, we'll get to it when we get to like who am I?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: But uh? But that that was that said a good tone. And of course Marishka is awesome. So when I when we got back for those interrogation scenes, that.
Speaker 4: Was, that was great.
Speaker 5: Those are probably my favorite, certainly ever since mind Hunter. I I seemed to specialize in sitting down and saying bad shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hey, I see one of one of the Ice Cold fogs. He always says is don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you like you know.
Speaker 2: And if you watch U s VU with that in mind, you really start to notice how much leaning and sitting he's doing a ton of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, I mean we're obsessed with everyone.
Speaker 2: Do you remember any more like iced Ty Marishka moments or specifics or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Uh you say, you know, they were so uh, their personalities are so different and they've been working together for so long. It was it's very rare, you know, you're just passing through on a show and everything is such a well run machine. I mean it was.
Speaker 5: It was very very straightforward, and we got through stuff fast, and uh, you know Ice would kind of go back by himself and Mariska would stay and chat with everybody and kind of hold court and be lovely. And I sort of really like both versions of that because I can appreciate someone wanting to keep to themselves, but I also like she's one of the best number ones I've worked with, Like her and Will Smith are like they set the standard of like like how to be and accept that responsibility of being number one on the call SAT and making everyone feel welcome and good and you know, just setting a great gray vibe. So that was awesome, you know, and she's been doing it for so long. It was so professional and so clear and Crisp.
Speaker 1: Woll, that's cool. Will Smith, Huh. We always hear that Marishka was like an impeccable number one, Like she's the reason the show has been on but we'll stiff too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: People say, like he yeah, in his book he talk about but he remembers everyone's name.
Speaker 5: Oh like on Bright, he through birthday parties for crew members and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah he was. He was really really.
Speaker 1: So you've worked with him a couple of times? Then I guess.
Speaker 4: Huh, yeah, Well I did Bright and then two years later, bad boys came up and went whomever it was they couldn't do it. He just said, well, we just get this guy.
Speaker 5: I was doing a play in New York and like then, after the mattinee and set, I got the call on a Friday. After the matinee, on Sunday, I flew down to Atlanta and shot all day Tuesday, all day Monday, half the day Tuesday, went back to New York to get to make the night time performance on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Wow, so wait, but you're are you currently in Brigadoon at Pasadena Playhouse? I am, It's so crazy. I was looking at your you know, I was researching you, slash stocking your instagrams, trying to see and I saw and then Pasadena Playhouse emails me all the time because I've seen stuff there and I was like, Oh, the guy we're interviewing today's in Brigadoon. And then I was like, oh, he's in it right now, Like I did, I put it all together. That's exciting. And it's only playing for like another week and a half or something.
Speaker 4: Fourteenth fourteenth?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, wait, do you have any dream theater roles?
Speaker 4: The false Staff?
Speaker 2: What is it? False staff?
Speaker 4: False staff?
Speaker 5: He's he shows up in about five Shakespeare plays the Henry's Marywise of windsor.
Speaker 4: What else?
Speaker 5: He's he's He's a retired night who's funny in a fall down drunk but also in a ton of pain, okay, and processing grief and pain while also making people laugh. And it's just it's it's like it's like the perfect role, I think.
Speaker 1: And you have time. This guy looks old, right, so this is like.
Speaker 2: You have like year this, you have decades to make it half a fill.
Speaker 4: This from your lips to God's ears, my friend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got uh cool? I just saw Titus and Dronicus and I it was off Broadway, but like on forty second and tenth or forty fifth and tenth, the guy from Hadestown was in it. Patrick Page, Okay, Adam. Okay, my other But I didn't know Shakespeare were such a freak.
Speaker 4: Good dude, you haven't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: What what's creep? What's crazier than that one?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: So last year? It hasn't come out yet, but it's maybe even two years ago. I had a smaller part in a movie called Lear Rex, which is a film adaptation of king Lear where al Pacino plays King Lear and uh, and that's an incredibly violent and also like dementia ridden character. This version is interesting because it's half in like regular current day speak, and then half uh the Shakespeare's actual text, because it's about uh, like an eight year old actor who all his life has wanted to play King Lear, but now he's in a coma and the play plays out in his head, in his mind, and people from his real life are show up as characters in the stop.
Speaker 2: This seems When is this coming out?
Speaker 4: Well? That's just it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: How. That's so crazy, Like al Pacino's in an indie that's not selling, Like what the fuck? Like, what's happening? I want it?
Speaker 1: It's crazy?
Speaker 2: Is in it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I know, Rachel? You know what I found out too.
Speaker 5: Ted Levine is in it, who played Buffalo Bill of course in science and he blayed based Buffalo Bill on Jerry Brutos, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, and the Keith Sanfield Peter Dinklage, I mean like the Ariana Debo's this is like a Rachel Brosna and his cast is wild.
Speaker 2: Oh Christmas Cina Wait, this is nuts. This seems cool.
Speaker 1: And it was a writer director.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bernard Rose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he so he wrote the modern day parts and obviously Shakespeare wrote the dream parts, but I only was only in the Shakespeare sections.
Speaker 2: Okay, well he made candy Man, so.
Speaker 4: He did make Candy Man animate, immortal, beloved.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we need Annie did Anna Karinna.
Speaker 2: Damn. You've worked with such great people for so many years. Have you ever been starstruck or yeah?
Speaker 4: With DeNiro, I was yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was the comedian.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the final callback everyone had to read with Bob de Niro, and I watched people melt down and he's been my hero since I was about nine, so it was surreal to walk into an audition and have him be there. But I I handled my shit well because I knew that if I act like how I wanted to act, there was no way he's going to want to be around me. So I had a great you know, you hear all kinds of things about all these big stars. In my experience was that he was lovely and I had a really, really great time with him, and I'm greatful.
Speaker 4: I mean, that was a highlight for sure. Usually I don't get starstruck.
Speaker 5: I get starstruck sometimes around professional athletes, but they're like old men now because they're like from the nineteen eighty six New York message.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: So you love sports and the theater. So in high school did you play sports? Was it hard to balance at all?
Speaker 5: It was very easy to let sports go because I was much better at acting than I was the sport I loved. I loved playing, but I was like third string everything. My favorite one to play was football because I could actually do something like I could knock a guy over.
Speaker 1: That was But yeah, I just hate running. That's my fat all sports. I don't like running very.
Speaker 4: Much, running up and down the court and everything. It's like, come on, man, I can't do here. Put it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, if you were to come back to SVU for a third time, who would you like to be?
Speaker 5: I'd like to be like a specialized like agent, like if he needed the FBI or the BA or something like like like the weather like has a cigarette in his mouth. It's like, all right, I'm going to straighten all this shit out, you know, like that.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: You have anything coming up after Brigadoon?
Speaker 4: I don't know what my next job is.
Speaker 5: Right before Brigadoon, I did a few episodes of this thing called this new series called The Spot, which will be on Hulu.
Speaker 4: I wonder if I think next year it's.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's upcoming.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Claire Danes, yeah, yeah, and the showrunner who's doing it. I'd worked with him and Claire two years ago on a different thing called Full Circle, and we filmed in my old hometown in upstate New York. It was the craziest thing. Uh like uh like video no no no. Base camp was in the park a lot of the bank where I opened my first bank.
Speaker 4: Account at sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: Where are you from?
Speaker 5: I'm from High Falls, New York. It's a tiny little town. The gas station where I stole my first beer was right across the street. Well, so if you leave, if you get on the Metro North out of Grand Central. The last stop of the Metro North is Poughkeepsie. So then after Poughkeepsie is New Pauls, and then after New Paul's is High Falls where I grew up. Okay, so I grew up like in the woods and shit, like in mountains and farms and everything.
Speaker 2: Well, you have so many So the All Nighter, Capsize, Magic Circle.
Speaker 5: Well, the Magic Circle was a short. I don't know if that ever came out or not. But the three movies that are supposed to come out either the end of this year or early next year are The Lyrics, Capsized and The All Nighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is exciting. I can't wait for this lear situation now that I'm.
Speaker 4: Dude, me too, what's it coming?
Speaker 1: It's so well, well, this was awesome, thank you? Yeah, Capsize. The first three people in the cast are SVU heavy hitters. Kidding Yeah, well Lily rad Lily, Lily Rob Sarah, Sarah, Catherine Hook Yeah, yep, yeah, that'll be a good No, our minds are broken.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm just con every playbill I'm looking for SVU, I'm like, who, what's going on?
Speaker 4: You'll very easily find it?
Speaker 1: Do you have any last minute memories from your SVU time that you want to impart on us before you we say goodbye. And your go to craft service snack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh okay, well the go to craft service snack would be gosh uh. The Blacklist had a very specific kind of doughnut that I've always tried to get ever since, and they're hard to find and I came for what they're called.
Speaker 4: But that was awesome SVU.
Speaker 5: I would encourage if you can get a job on it, do it because it is the most fun, the most like, well run, everyone's really cool and you get to tell great stories and they're.
Speaker 4: Constantly meeting people. It seems, so go do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do people give you seven the seven Dwarf happy gifts?
Speaker 4: Like do you have a lot of happy everything you can figure about?
Speaker 5: To Gilmore the song Oh my God.
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 1: Farrell song.
Speaker 4: That's so funny, especially because everyone for the first three years that song came out, everyone thought they were the first person to think to sing.
Speaker 2: That to me.
Speaker 4: Of course, oh the guy I had the song?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I hope you never meet Pharrell. You're gonna have to show love happy obsessed. Well, I just.
Speaker 2: Love multitudes you know, be a theater dork. Love sports.
Speaker 1: Love that. Yeah, he I just love that. He's Yeah, he seems like truly a man that lives up to his name. He seems like a happy man who's just like doing a bunch of But also it is kind of hilarious that his name is Happy and he plays all these brutal murderers all the time. And he says that's like how he gets cast a lot, and then his name is Happy.
Speaker 2: I know it's just because he's giant. Oh yeah, he's six'.
Speaker 1: Four he's.
Speaker 2: Menacing oh. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what's crazy IS i don't really think you get the height of him in THE. SVU i did it In My. Hunter oh, okay did he seem really tall to you IN? SVU i think when he was talking To rollins at first he was like on a step.
Speaker 2: No and then you notice for, ME i noticed a lot when he was sitting in interrogation, like, yeah he's like a big.
Speaker 1: Guy and in the lineup now that i'm thinking about, it in the lineup when he's LIKE i don't want to say, this, yeah he seemed. Bigger and the fact when he was, like OH i was the best step.
Speaker 2: Football it's like, yeah, yeah, yeah but yeah, cool but.
Speaker 1: Yeah this episode is like, really it's just sad that people don't that there's just like the limited resources of certain neighborhoods also means you don't get the same justice as in other. Neighborhoods you, know like people are just gonna like throw you in jail for shit you didn't. Do you're not going to fully, research like because there were other rapes that this guy did and it didn't feel like anybody was really investigating.
Speaker 2: Those and again back to, homophobia you can't be.
Speaker 3: Gay he.
Speaker 2: Couldn't he would rather like this guy would rather, not would rather like he had to make a, choice and it's like he couldn't give his.
Speaker 1: Alibi, yeah AND i wonder, if like at, eighteen he was just too scared to say he was at this hookup beach and didn't realize that it would be even, worse like that prison would be worse than like coming out to your. Family, no because the way people talk about gay, people depending where you grow, up it's like the worst thing you can. Imagine, yeah, yeah you're, LIKE i might as well go to your whole.
Speaker 2: Life you, know people in jail probably like if it's, projects you, know Like i'm doing, stereotypes but like you, know you know tons of people that go to, jail but like, you and then you probably like that's Not and THEN i bet people talk.
Speaker 1: Worse about gay people than people in.
Speaker 2: Prison yeah that's. True there's like a polar kind of MEME i always, see and it's not comparing the. Two it's just like a fan or like some answer like whatever some parents were like bitching, About like it's like cousins and like making fun of a gay cousin and it's like you have like eight baby daddies and your kid is in, Prison like what are you talking?
Speaker 1: About like what is this judgment coming?
Speaker 2: From you, know.
Speaker 1: But in a lot of places or like.
Speaker 2: Whatever it just is, Culture LIKE i don't, know people hate gay, people the idea of being get it's like all of. It it's LIKE i understand how an eighteen year old boy from that neighborhood is just like fuck.
Speaker 1: That let's get to our what would sit your peg? Do this is the segment where we direct you towards an, organization a book of doc something to give you more info about what we talked. About AND i am LIKE i don't know if It's orange Or New black or, whatever But i'm very, like sort of hyper focused on recidivism and how hard it is to actually be cleared of crimes or to pay for your crimes with jail time and then get out of, prison and how difficult it is to re enter the. World SO i was looking for an organization that dealt with, that AND i wanted to point you guys towards The Frederick Douglas project For. Justice this group facilitates structured meetings and respectful conversations between members of free society and incarcerated people so that they can learn from each, other form powerful human, connections and transform both their own lives and society at. Large and they organize prison. Visits they try to bring people into prison so they can like humanize, people not just, say, oh these people live behind, bars like away from, us you, know away from the rest of. Society you can go into a, prison meet with, people see how they. Work so you can sign up for a prison visit or donate At douglasproject dot. Org and That's douglas with two s's and that will be linked in our show notes as, always and we will post a story with the link on the day the show comes out on Our instagram, page which is thats Messed up, pod and then all of our what Would sister peg do stories are saved in THE wwspd, highlights so if you're listening to this later you can go back and find.
Speaker 2: It, yes thank you so, much AND i forget like for the post, morning we forgot to talk about like how one fucking cop ruined so many countless.
Speaker 1: LIVES i, know and we've talked about it, Before like it's just crazy that there's been sweeps of THE. Mipd there have been like corruption sweeps and it doesn't. Stop like.
Speaker 2: But next, week, Ooh i'm so excited we'll be Doing savant season, nine episode, FOUR A, DREAM A, DREAM a true?
Speaker 1: Classic what is? It mommy's a? Whole there's LIKE i can't. WAIT i just always think perfect. Pitch, okay thank you guys so much for. Listening we love all you, tommies and we will see you next week and you, know happy fourth Of. July despite everything that's messed up as an exactly right, Production if you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to, cover shoot us an email It That's messed uppod at gmail dot. Com listen To That's Messed up on The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your.
Speaker 2: Podcasts follow the podcast On instagram At That's Messed Up, pod and follow us personally At Kara klank and at Glitter.
Speaker 1: Cheese as, always please see our show notes for sources and more.
Speaker 2: Information thank you so much to our senior Producer casey O'Brien and our associate Producer Christina, chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our Mixer John bradley and our guest Booker Patrick, Cottner and To Henry kaperski for our theme song And carly Gen andrews for our. Artwork thank you to our executive Producers Georgia, Hardstart Karen, Kilgarriff Daniel, kramer and everybody At Exactly Right.
Speaker 3: Media Dun dunn