Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Trendless Shrimp. The Summer of Treendless Shrimp, Trensless Shrimp, Full Ultimate Trendless Shrimp, Various offers that put Red Lobster out of business. Yeah for five hundred, Alex. My name is Jack, and that over there, well that is Miles. Yeah, man, I don't know. I'm excited, eancited to see you.
Speaker 2: Great, thank you. No, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Not excited. The Red Lobster may have to file for bankruptcy because we are did you are going to say?
Speaker 2: Are you doing the slip and fall thing again? In there? You can't wait too many Red Lobsters on that slip and fall SCA.
Speaker 1: That's right, hey man, on your endless shrimp and slide the next offer that they were going to make shrimp. So Red Lobster is considering found for Chapter eleven bankruptcy in order to restructure it's mounting debt, which would obviously be devastating for America's generic seafood and mountain dew based cocktail industry. True, very true, but it's not shocking considering the company reported an eleven million dollar operating loss last year, which their CFO partly blamed on us, specifically how hard we went on their endless shrimp deal. Yeah, they've been doing this like as long as I can remember, all right, Like I still remember seeing red lobster ads that were like, all you can eat shrimp for a limited.
Speaker 3: Says to me at that time, I would get so fucking waved and go and be like watch me, Like so many people are like, oh, endless shrimp. Defensive shrimp can be when you want to eat it endless and you do it for our twenty Let's go.
Speaker 1: Watch me eat a Pacific ocean's worth of shrimp here in front of just mouth glistening with butter.
Speaker 3: But just love a CFO being like it's that it was the endless shrimp. It's like, aren't you the CFO. Yeah, Like, yo, it's not. Did your models not suggest that some people would come in there literally eat you out of business?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm sure that like this, this feels very private equity ish. I'm getting pe vibes off the whole thing with them, Like, you know, we're operating an eleven operating loss. We're gonna have to restructure a debt. Like I feel like there's a private equity company involved somewhere that like came in, got that like bought a big chug of the company and then is like renting the company back to them or whatever. But you know, when in doubt, blame the American people, I think is always what works in these unit states. They said, apparently the twenty dollars all you can eat shrimp deal was meant to increase traffic in the restaurant, So yeah, I get that, but it soon went viral on YouTube and TikTok. If you've heard of these two places with people trying to show off how much shrip they could eat for twenty dollars, and they ended up giving away just way more shrimp than they had expected. So I hope you're all happy. This is why we can't have nice things.
Speaker 3: No, And you you're spot on with the private equity part.
Speaker 2: I think it was sold like eight years ago.
Speaker 3: To private area.
Speaker 2: Hey went in doubt, just be like I been what private equity do? What it did?
Speaker 1: Ancient beloved corporation, like ancient by corporation corporate standards. But like this company that's been around and successful with everybody I know for a long time, why is that going out of business. Ah when in.
Speaker 2: Doubt yep, just changs too.
Speaker 1: Also, now it turns out people just don't like toys, man, kids don't like toys anymore. So that's why that's going out of business. You guys fucked it up.
Speaker 2: Not us.
Speaker 3: The thing was apparently prior to the pandemic, like the private equity owned red Lobster was was wobbling bad wi wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so like they've been doing this forever, but they're gonna blame it on us and like their deals being too good instead of.
Speaker 3: The gradual husking out of a business for and breaking it up for parts so you can walk away with all the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, We've seen this hundred times.
Speaker 1: And companies will just report it credulously because they don't want to like get into the financials because that she's boring. But they'll just be like, yeah, it turns out of his endless shrimp. Probably not probably private equity. We live in a bad country and bad system. This version of capitalism doesn't work. The work this one. This one certainly does not Give.
Speaker 2: Me a second. Let me go back in the lab. I'll come up with another version that you might dig. Give me a second, Give me this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one with that like isn't uh, you know, completely allergic socialism and just trust every corporation to do what they say they will, you know, Like that that worked out at at various points on a couple of things. This one really really bad. Doesn't even work at the things it claims it's supposed to work at. They're supposed to be like capitalism, strong suit.
Speaker 2: Putting the L in capitalism.
Speaker 1: That's right. But we've got some good news, Miles, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we got some good news that even the Wall Street Journal is willing to, oh, we're.
Speaker 2: Still fall and hit their head.
Speaker 1: We're seeing a massive drop in murders this year, which is kind of what we were expecting to see, like hoping definitely to see based on our theory of the case that we've talked about on this show that the cause of the murder's rising was not police having hurt feelings about Black Lives Matter protests, but was actually all the small institutions and programs and you know, public schools that were in place and literally disappeared overnight during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Wait, they're saying they're copping to it now.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no, not not the Wall Street Journal. But it's just like there's no other way to frame like, so yeah, all right, So here's what happened that during the pandemic, when everything was closed and all those programs were closed, crime and murder went up. When those programs came back, crime and murder go way down. Nothing changed. Like the one thing that didn't go away during the pandemic the police were still there, like like they people made a point about how like they're defunding the police, like they funded the police like slight, Fine, Yeah, they've been funded real good, real good. They were funded, really funded up, real nice up boys. So it's just that didn't change during during the pandemic, and yet the murder rate went way up and then now coming way back down, and the police were not. They never got defunded, never went away, haven't been refunded significantly in a way that would make this pattern make any sense as part of a police related trend. But the Wall Streets are so first of all, just with regards to the trend, nationwide, homicides dropped around twenty percent in one hundred and thirty three cities from the beginning of the year through the end New York so far besides are down fifteen percent through early April, falling at the fastest pace in decades, bringing them close to levels that they were at before the pandemic era jump. So it is significant, as was the rise. Right, Yeah, but I just want to read this part from the Wall Street Journal thing because so it doesn't like it. It seems like there's no explanation where this makes sense as a police related trend, and it seems like they're going to acknowledge that. But this is the quote. Researchers and authorities attributed the upward spike to several factors, including crime prevention programs, courts and prisons being unable to operate normally when COVID was spreading, young people not in school due to shutdowns, and law enforcement pulling back after social unrest, the high profile police killings of George Floyd and other black people. So it's like fourth on the list. But yeah, it's like, all right, well that's better than I've ever seen someone like the Wall Street Journal do is like putting it forth. Usually they'll just be like, and that's why, right, But then follow up graph the police went to sleep, said Dean Dabney, a criminology professor at Georgia State University in Atlanta. The prosecution, the courts went to sleep, and the jails and prisons let people out. So you had an ideal situation for criminals. So it was just that the good guy cops were not. U had hurt feelings and also sleepiness.
Speaker 3: I was you came so close to actually just doing a little bit of analysis and figuring it out. I was hoping the Wall Street Journal would give us a.
Speaker 2: God a moment, but no, we were denied.
Speaker 1: We were denied, denied, but hey, at least they gave the three possible reasons before going with their bullshit reason and fleshing that out with a quote from a bullshit source. Yeah, I hadn't heard sleepiness.
Speaker 2: Sleepy they were so sleepy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break, and is the cousin of death? Yes, and that's why I never sleep me or Donald Trump. That's why we're both just railing and headbutting microphone. Yeah, and we're back. And a Martin Scorsese project to come that I'm a little bit more excited about than his Fox Nation show. Is that what the name of the streaming thing is. He's gonna make another movie about Jesus kind of into Jesus, but then he's going to direct a biopic about Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 2: Movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's making another.
Speaker 2: Jesus and all I can say to that is Jesus.
Speaker 1: We don't Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Biopic about Frank So DiCaprio as Sinatra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're saying DiCaprio as Sinatra, which seems like we're just gonna continue to ignore the size of Leonardo DiCaprio's head at this point.
Speaker 3: It seems like I'm like he's using hgh Man. We're going Barry Bonds levels check that hot size.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna be DiCaprio is Sinatra. Jen Lawrence as his first wife, Yeah, Jen, okay, Yeah Jen?
Speaker 2: You don't know Jen? All right? I don't not like that, bro yeh.
Speaker 1: Jen's a friend. No, Jay law they're bringing it back together from uh don't look up? Oh yes, yes, who can forget that one? I forgot to watch it. Yeah, it's we'll leave it at that. Uh. But it's so people that this is getting people's attention. Ronan Farrow was trending on Twitter because people are like, he should play Sinatra, not Leonardo DiCaprio, which I might be on board with the not Leonardo DiCaprio, but uh, well, Ronan Farrow is not an actor. No, as far as I know, right, he's not an actor. But people, you know, just any excuse to be like that is definitely Yeah, Frank Sinatra's boy's father. Yeah, I mean, Ronan Farah was recently on RuPaul's drag Race and was like, I think I might need a paternity test, and everyone laughed, And I don't blame him, you know, growing up to realize you're not Woody Allen's biological child has to be a you know, one of the all time great celebrity bullet dodges. But I have I'm starting to develop a loose theory here, Miles that he has to have like him saying I should probably get a paternity test, Like he hasn't gotten a paternity test, Like everybody has access to those DNA sir, you know the twenty three and me like all.
Speaker 3: That shit, Like what, well, I'm just you you would need you would need someone with that fan like you can't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you could do it one way right unless his Yeah maybe not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it could just be that I mean, I mean it would be wild, like so many Sinatra people have done twenty three and me, he's like, way.
Speaker 2: Talk can do it and it'll probably be a hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's what Like, that's how they caught the California whatever that serial killer, Golden State killer is because like so many people in his extended like you just you can just kind of assume that you know you'll take it, and there are enough people in your extended family who have done it. You kind of know where you're situated.
Speaker 3: So you think he may have did a swing in a miss and he's like even turns out any of my dead.
Speaker 1: My theory is that, yeah, like so everybody always just does his picture next to Sinatras and yeah they look similar, but have you seen me a pharaoh? Like his mom has perfect bone structures for days, just beautiful bone structure her. He could just take after her. I just I do wonder it.
Speaker 2: Feels like I eye and brow area. That really sells it for me.
Speaker 1: I definitely see it.
Speaker 3: Like my conspiracy theory, if I may, is that he has done a patternity test. He is Frank Sinatra's child, but the estate is telling him to be mum about it and then he'll get his peace.
Speaker 1: Oh I my. My only other theory would be that he's just such a savvy media creature that like he's just like, no, I'm gonna hold this in my back pocket until it's time to drop that shit, you know, until it's time to like write my book about finding out that I'm Frank Sinatra's son.
Speaker 2: Oh got it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, you gotta hold oh right, keep the powder dry.
Speaker 1: But were like Sinatra is one of those characters that would be interesting to see like a words and all biopic. Yeah, I feel like because.
Speaker 3: Isn't there there's like a lot of intrigue around him, like being mobbed up in a too fully.
Speaker 1: Mobbed up like he's supposed to be the singer character and the godfather was Sinatra like at one when he was like in Vegas, Like he was a huge deal in Las Vegas at a time when every part of Las Vegas was like mob run, right, and that was a time when he, like I'm pretty sure like got beat up pretty badly.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That's like being big in Miami in the late seventies and eighties and you didn't.
Speaker 2: Know anybody in the cocaine drafting business at all. You never counted those people, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So anyways, it'll be an interesting film. I'm looking forward to it. Uh Scorsese, like the guy is not lost his fastball in old age. Another another food story. There are thousands of everyday snacks. They're facing a ban in multiple states because their ingredients are linked to cancer and.
Speaker 2: All the good stuff. Folks.
Speaker 1: The first three that they listen are like, yeah, no, those are the ones that as I was eating them or drinking them, I was like, yeah, it was probably good.
Speaker 2: Mouth.
Speaker 3: As you were reading the article with no, you were eating your bowl of Lucky Charms, but you subbed out milk.
Speaker 2: For blue gateorades.
Speaker 1: That's right, And you had to down my spoonful of Lucky Charms with blue gatorad. And then to counterballance it, you gotta have some flame and hot cheets.
Speaker 2: I just had flaming hot.
Speaker 3: I thought they were called sour cream and cheddar, but they're called cheddar and sour cream.
Speaker 2: I'm having a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a Berenstain Bears moment here. What you had them reversed on the bag it says cheddar and sour cream. Conversationally, I've been calling them sour cream and cheddar for the longest.
Speaker 1: Time, and Miles, we've all been laughing at you.
Speaker 3: I fucking knew, And I asked what you were laughing at the other day when I was eating him. You said, nothing, man, eat up your sour cream and chips. I had flaming hot ones though, because I saw him at the at the store and I was like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, flaming hot sour cream and cheddars are flaming hot. I know, I know, but yeah, like there's something about the flaming hot Cheetos when it's like on your fingers, there's like a a texture to it that feels different. Carcinogenic, Yeah, carcinogenic, Like it's like is there, like what what what's in this?
Speaker 3: Can cause DNA muta Obviously, like this is a very like click baity article that's talking about sort of the things that are linked to it. But obviously we've talked about like how Skittles like are not available in the normal form in Europe because they're like, oh yeah that food dye.
Speaker 2: Hell no, we're not giving that treat people where.
Speaker 3: America is like with arms right over, we fucking were like, yeah, baby, get it.
Speaker 2: That proper color.
Speaker 3: So obviously this will just lead to you know, these companies being like, all right, fine, I guess we have to kick the cheap food dye. That's carcinogenic habit that we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it's a lot of food dies. Uh, just to like, anytime I'm drinking gatorade, I'm like, that color is unnatural like this, can't you know why why does this appear to glow in the dark?
Speaker 2: Why continue to glow in the dark?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the Lucky Charms marshmallows are not marshmallows, like they're unnatural.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this makes I mean, obviously like the FDA needs to look worse, but like, come on, y'all up on it. But also this is like a broader story, Like if you really want to talk about why the FDA is unable to contend with this, you can talk about the massive lobbying efforts that occur to basically like, man, why don't y'all like shut the fuck up about it and ignore what those euro trash motherfuckers are saying about our beloved Lucky Charms?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, but yeah, here we are, here, we are Yeah, like all the all the cereals that you suspected we're giving you cancer, like fruit loops, tricks like all those are on the list, A lot of movie theater candies, Swedish fish, Sarah Patch kids, Eminem's nerds, uh, pop tarts.
Speaker 3: Remember we go to the movies, we call it salad bar and we empty all of those into a big tub that meant for the popcorn, and you just enjoy them at once.
Speaker 1: Well, you're telling me funfetti is.
Speaker 3: Uh look bro with the jet lag, I told you man, one wrong email could fucking send me right now, So don't tell me fun.
Speaker 2: I need the fun fat bro.
Speaker 1: Have fun fetti.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: They say it's fun in the thing. Yeah, in the thing, don't for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways. People are also on TikTok freaking out after discovering that drumstick, like the the ice cream cone drumsticks. Yeah yeah, don't melt, which I've never I don't know, Like what accident led to someone discovering this, Like were they pinned under a boulder while the thing was just out of arms reach? How you have one of those out long enough without eating it to find this shit out? But yeah, the drumstick frozen treats don't melt. It's like those videos where they put a you know, McDonald's hamburger and fries in a thing.
Speaker 3: Next I found it in his jacket pocket kind of thing. Yeah, exactly twenty years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just like smells exactly the same, has the same consistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh. I mean I think the other thing too, people point.
Speaker 3: Out is like it's not ice cream, it's dairy flavored dessert. Like you know, like when you look on the side of a fucking thing, some say ice cream and some say frozen dairy dessert, and that typically tells you about how much actual milk is in there. But also, yeah, I just don't like the idea of someone realizing that like those are meant to be eaten, you know, don't fucking don't. Don't awaken my consciousness around all the chemicals that I consume. Please it sometimes it's literally the only thing I have left at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are good things. I'm glad we're learning this so that my children. Yeah. Yeah, like, yeah, these things have all been illegal for a while, and you're in various European countries. It's good because, like we we were talking about before we start recording, Like, my kids eat so much better than I do. I'm glad that, like.
Speaker 2: Because you have so much more knowledge, you know too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but they'll they'll eat like shit when they have the opportunity, and I'm glad that they won't have the option of eating some of these things like I did. Right, But there's still such a huge part of me that is just response to these stories by being like, well, you think you're better than me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, truly, I'm the dude, you know what I mean. Well, that's just like.
Speaker 1: Your opinion opinion, man, the scientific research. You think you're better than me. Delish dot com. Okay, fuck you.
Speaker 3: I want to come over there and flip your fucking desk. Bro trying to scare me off eating lucky charms by the handful. Yeah, I haven't had cereal in a minute though, so yeah, I guess that's less of a shock.
Speaker 2: But the gatorade, the gatorade.
Speaker 3: A loose gatorade every time, you know, go to the gas station to get a Gato Gato.
Speaker 1: Like it's really the blue color that looks like miniature golf adventure golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bake water yeah, or barbicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, barbecide, barbecides flavored, they should just have to be barbecide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And is barbicide cool to drink?
Speaker 1: Then? Probably? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: At this point, eure upe, you guys don't even drink barb side you all right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, April seventeenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, ye, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk hell tomorrow. Fight Bye.