Speaker 1: In our first White House Press Secretary briefing, Caroline Levitt made a point to talk about how President Trump wanted his first presidential visit to be to western North Carolina and to California. That this is why Americans know that he's a man of the people, that he doesn't want any American to feel forgotten. And we know that, especially the citizens of western North Carolina, four months after Hurricane Helene, have felt forgotten. That they have felt like they haven't been heard by the Biden administration, that FEMA was not there for them, that FEMA was actually causing more harm than good. They felt left behind. And if you remember, Hurricane Helene caused devastation in western North Carolina. There were at least one hundred and four reported deaths. The flooding was so severe, exceeding thirty inches in some places, resulting in historic widespread flooding. It was described with terms like biblical that's how bad it was, leaving neighborhoods destroyed, communities isolated with no access out. But those days are over or with President Trump, and he made a point to let them know that. And what I think was so cool about his visit to western North Carolina and to California. If you watched the press conferences, he handed the press conference over in both instances to the citizens, to the people. He wanted them to be heard. And in one instance, when one man was talking about the difficulties that he has had, the struggles that he has had, President Trump asked him to name the insurance company, to name and shame the insurance company that hadn't been helping him. And I think those Americans felt heard for the first time in a long time. And as much as President Trump gets criticized, this is someone who loves America, who wants to put citizens first. I mean we saw it during his first term when he visited Texas twice after Hurricane Harvey, or when he visited Florida after Hurricane Irmar, even as a candidate, when he visited East Palestine, Ohio after they were ignored by the Biden administration. So we're going to talk to one man today who's from Western North Carolina, who has been relentlessly fighting to try to bring the truth about the day image that was done to Western North Carolina, as well as just the fact that the community has been ignored by FEMA, bringing a lot of those issues to light as well. So he's been a truth teller for his community. His name is Matt Vincewell, we're going to talk to him about that, his experiences living through Hurricane Helene, and then also how this has shaped his personal opinions, his politics, his viewpoint on the government. What's it like to live through something like that. So stay tuned for Matt Vanswoll. So, Matke, you lived through Hurricane Heleen and western North Carolina where you reside, First of all, tell us what that was like to have gone through that, to experience it, you know, walk us through your story so we have an understanding of kind of where you were and what you've been through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we live in a small town just outside of Asheville called Weaverville. We live along just a little ways from like this, this very small creek. And during Hurricane Helene, this little creek that was maybe five feet wide it its max went to essentially two football fields wide during the flooding and took out most of the homes along the creek, nearly all of the bridges, and we saw like eighteen wheelers like floating in the creek. It was just one of the wildest things you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it was real. Like I still.
Speaker 2: Remember driving out of our neighborhood after a neighbor actually took his tractor and pushed all of the trees out of our road because we had probably one hundred trees. We lived on this little cul de sac, and we probably had one hundred trees down over over our road. We couldn't get out, so a guy with a tractor ended up chainsawing some trees and clearing the road for us, which was awesome that I'll never forget pulling out of our driveway and seeing what I thought looked like an ocean, but it was actually our little creek that had just risen and just smashed through everything in sight. It was one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed. But we were with that power for three weeks. We left and went to Charlotte, North Carolina, got starlink and a generator one night, and then came back and actually ended up running really long extension courts into our neighbors' homes so they could power some of their appliances for a couple of weeks, and then our home kind of became like the internet cafe for the neighborhood because we were the only ones with starlink. So it's crazy to just see people come in and like call loved ones and say like we're okay.
Speaker 3: It was just, I mean, this is the craziest experience.
Speaker 1: I guess living through. I mean, it's always crazy to me. You know, Thank God I've not had to live through something like that.
Speaker 3: I might.
Speaker 1: I do live in Florida, so you know, there's always the possibility.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine just having you know, resided someplace for you know, a while, it's your home, and then just wake up one day and everything you knew is gone and different and life has changed that substantially. I just I imagine that's a really hard thing to digest in life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been really hard on our kids the most. And how old are they They are thirteen, eleven and four, so man, it's so so hard. But they see, you know, all the parks that they normally play in are still just completely destroyed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I've posted a couple of videos of the soccer field just right across from my home, and you can see like tractor trailers on the soccer field and campers and it's all still there, and so many of the parks, the playgrounds that we used to go to are gone.
Speaker 3: And I think my wife posted this the other day.
Speaker 2: But we were driving just a target to get some stuff and my son looks out the window of the four year old and he goes.
Speaker 3: Are there dead people there? And it's just something he thinks about constantly.
Speaker 2: When we drive by all this debris piled up everywhere, because he you know, he has just such a basic understanding of what happened, but he knows it was horrific and that you know, people died, and it's just, you know, it's one of those things you should never have to explain to your toddler that, like, yes, it was hard and we're getting through it, but they just feel the effects every single day, if.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's got to be hard as parents, because you know, with young kids, obviously you want to protect them. You want to shield them from pain and from you know, having to witness bad things. I guess how do you kind of balance that with also you know, they're they're probably wondering why their lives have been so disrupted as well. So I mean, I guess how do you balance that as a parent. I imagine that's got to be a really challenging thing to try to navigate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a parent, you just hate it.
Speaker 2: You know, your heart, you don't know what to say, But I have to say that kids are so resilient and one of the greatest things that's come out of this is seeing my kids volunteer and help other people like they volunteered at so many different places, sorting clothes, food items, putting you know, food in people's cars.
Speaker 3: My four year old got.
Speaker 2: To deliver an RV with us to a woman who's homeless after Hurricane Helena lost her home and got to put.
Speaker 3: Toys in it for a kid a year younger than him.
Speaker 2: And I think that's just such a good experience for kids to be able to give back in a way they never would have been able to if a natural disaster like this.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 2: But I'm truly, I'm really so proud of my kids for the way that they have they've handled it and being able to give them an experience of giving back.
Speaker 3: I think it's so important.
Speaker 1: What is living through through a natural disaster lake that teach you about humanity. I know you had talked about how you know your neighborhood. You set up sort of an Internet cafe for the rest of the neighborhood. I guess what does it show you? What does it tell you about humanity?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it brings out the best and the worst simultaneously, you know, and you find out very quickly that essentially nothing else matters except the friends that you've made in life, because those are the people that come and help you. And we always think that we have, you know, less in common with people than we actually do. Like the neighbor that cut us out of our driveway.
Speaker 2: I've only talked to him twice in my whole life, and he spent seven hours on my road, you know.
Speaker 3: Just trying to get us out. And I mean I've.
Speaker 2: Only talked to this many class and you know, he took time out of his day to help. And I truly think that that is what makes Americans Americans. You know, regardless of your political views, if something bad is going to happen, we're going to be there for you. And no one talked about politics at the beginning of the storm. Everyone was trying to help everyone, and you know, we had some bad actors that tried to do some looting and stuff, but our neighborhood set up like a little police force with people driving around with walkie talkies.
Speaker 3: And made sure everyone was safe.
Speaker 2: And that felt great, and I just really think that it brought out, you know, some of the best in people, and you know, we all worked to make sure everyone else was okay. And you know, our house barely had any damage at all, and other people's had, you know, terrible damage. I changed aw quite a few trees off of neighbors' houses during this first weeks of the storm, and then obviously we saw so much worse damage with the flooding later on that we just couldn't believe.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of phase two.
Speaker 1: We've got more after the commercial break, but first, after more than a year of war, terror and pain in Israel, the need for security essentials and support for for responders is still critical. Even in times of ceasefire. Israel must be prepared for the next attack, wherever it may come from. Is Israel surrounded by enemies and all sides. The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews is supported and will continue to support the people Visrael with life saving security essentials. Your gift today will help save lies by providing bomb shelters, armed security vehicles and ambulances, firefighting equipment, flak jackets, bulletproofests, and so much more. Your generous donation today will help ensure that the people of Israel are safe and secure in the days to come. Give a gift to Bless Israel and her people by visiting support IFCJ dot org. That's one word support IFCJ dot org. Or you can also call eight eight eight four a eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight four a eight IFCJ eight eight eight four a eight four three two five. Yeah, it is so interesting how resilient humans are. You know, you're talking about just how you guys set up your own police for worse and you know kind of people just coming together to problem solve. So you've really been fighting for your community by bringing the truth on AX, by by posting about it, sort of forcing attention to the issue, making sure that it's not forgotten it.
Speaker 3: Take us through for.
Speaker 1: People who are unfamiliar. I mean, obviously we saw images after the hurricane hit, but take us through just the level of devastation and the damage that it did, and then also talk about how important X has been for you to get the word out about that devastation.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, I haven't even been to all of the places that have been devastated. There's just so many, especially like out in the Hallers, in some of the mountain areas like Spruce Pine and others that just got absolutely walloped. And I feel like East Tennessee, you know, had.
Speaker 3: Had some really rough stuff happen as well.
Speaker 2: But down I've lived very close to downtown Ashville, and like I said, I live next to Creek and all of those homes and bridges you know, got flooded pretty pretty badly, and it was just beyond comprehension, Like the mind really couldn't comprehend what you were seeing because it didn't look familiar in any sense. Like I remember getting to the French Broad River maybe day two or three, I mean, when the flooding had subsided, subsided substantially, and I still didn't recognize that. I could not believe how bad it was, Like the river was so wide, it just didn't even look the same. Especially River Arts District in downtown Asheville just completely underwater, completely leveled. It was just so crazy, and I remember I was at a restaurant called White Duck Taco when I first heard about that the assassination of or the attempted assassination of Trump, And we were all out there like looking at our phones, and I was staring at it from a bridge and it was gone.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was not there anymore.
Speaker 2: And I just thought, Wow, these are going to be so many memories that are just going to be wiped off the face of the earth. And that's just in the little little portion where we were.
Speaker 3: Towns like Marshall, we have a lot of friends.
Speaker 2: I mean, those places are completely you know, wiped off the face of the earth.
Speaker 3: Like it surprises me that they're.
Speaker 2: Able to even pull out from the experience of the flooding that they got.
Speaker 3: It's it's just insane.
Speaker 2: But X you know, was really a lifeline, I think for getting the word out about what was happening in western North Carolina because very few mainstream media outlets were covering it, especially you know, at the beginning of the storm, like maybe the first two to seven days, we did have a lot of coverage, and then, just like any national disaster, people just lose interest. They don't really want to hear that things aren't going well, and I'm guilty of that myself, just as a consumer of media, you know, forgetting about places like Lehina in Mali and East pastein So I just didn't want that to happen to us. So I kind of made it my mission to stay on top of it no matter what until things started to turn around. And it was just so surprising to me how long it has taken for that mission to finally be accomplished. I mean, I would have never thought in a million years that I would still be posting about FEMA and people needing electricity and food and propane four months after the storm, Like, no.
Speaker 3: Chance would I have ever thought I'd be doing something like that.
Speaker 2: But it was necessary because people were hurting and they just didn't have a voice. And I've truly felt like, you know, perhaps we were screaming into the void for four months straight, and it was just truly amazing when Trump came and gave a voice to some of the people. I think it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: We've got a quick commercial break war with Matt on the other side. What has the experience been like trying to work with FEMA trying to work with you know, your state, with your governor. What has an experience been like for people?
Speaker 3: Super frustrating? Oh so frustrating. You know.
Speaker 2: For me, we actually, you know, we didn't have any damage to our home, so we applied immediately for the seven hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: We got it within a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: It took a lot longer, in a couple of denials to get a generator I bought, and I'm still waiting for my chainslaw to be reimbursed. That's okay, but so many people have had, I mean so many frustrating stories. And those are the people we talked to with our little nonprofit operation Shelter. Oh, you just hear some horror stories of people getting denied from FEMA or FEMA just really slow rolling.
Speaker 3: The ball to help them.
Speaker 2: We talked to a woman just this weekend who miraculously got approved for the forty two thousand dollars a couple of months ago, but still hasn't gotten it, so she's not been able to rebuild or even start the process of rebuilding, and is just waiting on FEMA to hand that max amount of money. But I mean some others we it is a crazy story. FEMA put a lot of people in these transitional housing assistance programs, which are essentially just hotel stays extended hotel stays, and one of the people we were working with, she reached out to us because FEMA was going to kick her out of her hotel, but they had not yet inspected her home to see if it was habitable.
Speaker 3: So we actually got on the phone with Ted Budd's office.
Speaker 2: And they were able to confirm that FEMA dropped the ball in her case and get her hotel stay extended from FEMA.
Speaker 3: But that's just one of like so many stories.
Speaker 2: And I was just talking to a guy at the gym yesterday morning who says he's given up. He's not going to even continue trying to get some of the money from FEMA. And I do feel like that's where most people are at at this point.
Speaker 3: They're just they're just sick and tired of it.
Speaker 1: You had mentioned in the beginning how politics originally wasn't really part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: Imagine it is now.
Speaker 1: You know, I guess how has this reshaped maybe political views in the area or yours, or you know, talk about sort of the evolution of politics being you know, now being more part of the equation here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it has completely reshaped my opinion of politics having really impact on people's lives. I mean, I I lean pretty center or left on most political issues, or did before the.
Speaker 3: Storm, and I find myself leaning very far right now.
Speaker 2: And I think once you realize the government's ineptitude, especially in this particular response, it's hard to unsee something like that, and it was especially frustrating.
Speaker 3: I think for everyone here to.
Speaker 2: Like, For example, my wife knows people at CNN personally. She was going to do a documentary for them, and when the storm hit, she reached out to them and said, you know, hey, you know me, I'm on the ground. I would love to like get in contact with you. And they ghosted us for four months straight. They would not talk to us. And the only networks that would have us on at all to talk about anything were you know, right wing networks. You know people I never thought i'd talk to, my in my life, news maps, Fox News.
Speaker 3: News Nation places I never thought I'd be talking on. I was talking on.
Speaker 2: Because they were the only ones that would give us a voice. And then to go through the press, conference after press conference of FEMA just talking down to people in western North Carolina, making excuses for why they couldn't get homes into the mountains because it was mountainous, saying that no one was living intents, and then renaming the word tent to be lightweight tent or heavyweight tent to make sure that you know, and then call us out on misinformation, you know, constantly. It was just it was such an eye opening experience for me to realize that just because it's not on CNN doesn't mean it's not happening, and you can't unsee it once it happens to you personally, and it happened to us.
Speaker 3: We got left behind and the media.
Speaker 2: Just kind of left us there, and FEMA TREA is just terribly you know, some of the press conferences, you know, went viral, not because press conferences they're so boring, They went viral because FEMA was just talking down to mountain folk out here and it was jarring to watch.
Speaker 3: Why do you think that happened?
Speaker 1: Why do you think some of the media ignored the story or the the Bide administration, you know, sort of ignored your area.
Speaker 2: Is an election. I'm fully convinced it was an election issue. You know, it happened right right before the election. I mean, I am personally convinced that's that's what it is. It certainly wasn't a business decision. You can see that immediately if you go look at my tweets, which have millions of years like they could have absolutely had a lot of clicks and very interesting stories had they chosen to pursue it.
Speaker 3: They just chose not to. And my guess is because it just didn't fit the agenda they were trying to push.
Speaker 1: What did that mean for your community to have asident, Trump make Western North Carolina and then California his first domestic trips of the president of his presidency to make sure it happened in his first week.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it was, like I said, I think it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my whole life.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've watched Trump a lot on the news, I have.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty rare that he steps out of the limelight, hands his microphone to someone and says, tell me your story. And that's exactly what he did in Western North Carolina. And I was crying the whole time. I really was. I was like, I feel like I've been telling these victims stories for months and months and months, and you know, the Biden administration to just ignored us for those months.
Speaker 3: You know, we have been screaming we need more help. You know, the help isn't coming fast enough. It's too slow.
Speaker 2: Really bad things are happening, and it was just silence on the other end of that line. And then Trump comes in and he's like, you know, allowing a guy on national TV to go after his insurance.
Speaker 3: Company always like name them name. I know it was wild, but I mean these that that's what we need. We needed that.
Speaker 2: We needed that so bad because that's the reality of what we were hearing from people constantly, like all day, every day, from people we are trying to help. And it was just mind blowing to me that the stories were not getting out in the way that they that they should. And I just have to say, like, it was so beautiful to see Trump come in and you know, make those promises and then to see the executive actions actually roll out, and I feel like we're already seeing some change at least in my area that is positive.
Speaker 3: It's just man, it just felt so good.
Speaker 1: You know, President Trump gets attacked a lot, but he's he's always had a heart for people, and when we saw it with these policy you know, he's always like he's always you know, even when he was president during his first term, he always tried to get our hostages back. He's always been very protective of his people. You know, you said that you're a center left before. I guess has this changed your position or your viewpoint? Your viewpoint of President Trump?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? It has completely turned it around. I cannot emphasize that enough. Like even if it was a political move, I'm already seeing action. So you know, to me, actions matter much more than words. And he came here first, and the you know, Biden administration ignored us and said that, you know, we were being dramatic or spreading misinformation.
Speaker 3: And that was just not the case. You know, we were we were trying to help.
Speaker 2: People were getting let down left and right by FEMA, and we were like, hey, I even wrote like an open letter to FEMA at you know, a couple of months ago, like this is how you can turn it around, please help us, and none of it actually got done. And it's just wild to me to see true action. Like their motto of promises made, promises kept is so good. I love that motto because it invites transparency into what the government is doing, and people go, aha, yes he did make that promise, and yes he has kept that promise. And the promises he made to visit western North Carolina he kept Jadie Vance visiting Virginia and seeing the Hurricane Elene devastation there, he made that promise, He kept that promise.
Speaker 3: The executive actions that have.
Speaker 2: Come in, it's just like one thing after another and you're like, wow, like, man, I really should have gotten out of my echo chamber and seeing some different news years ago, because now I feel so stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, I really don't think it's political because you know, he already won, right so, and he can't run. He can't run for reelection, so he really doesn't, you know, gain anything that politically outside of just I really just do believe that he like genuine only cares about the American people and you know, feels like it's his job to protect them. I imagine you like, going through something like this just changes your whole like perspective. Like you know, we talked about the changing perspective on like politics and things like that, but just of like government and like its role and you know its effectiveness, and you know, I guess, so how does that?
Speaker 3: How do you view government? After this?
Speaker 2: I viewed government as having as getting in the way of what's happening and what needs to be done, especially during disasters.
Speaker 3: And I feel like I repeated myself so much saying, you know, if if FEMA is really good at his job, why is it so slow? Like why isn't the.
Speaker 2: United States Premier Emergency Management Agency moving as slow as it has been?
Speaker 3: It should not exist if it's going to be this slow and bureaucratic.
Speaker 2: And it's just completely changed the way of thought about the role of in things like disasters. When I saw Samaritan's purse absolutely everywhere in western North Carolina, and I have yet to see someone in a FEMA.
Speaker 3: Outfit anywhere, it's just, you know, it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: And you know, I know there's a lot of calls to abolish FEMA or dramatically reform it, and I think that's exactly right, because one of the mottos we've been saying here on the ground is hey, if the rules are hurting people in a disaster, change the rules, you know, and it just felt like every rule was sacred with FEMA and nothing could be changed to actually help people when they really needed it. You know, they were they were blocking people from putting temporary homes in what FEMA designated as a floodplain. I mean, these are mountains thousands of feet out fished, and you know, flooding doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Here very often, that's why it's in the news.
Speaker 2: And you know, they were they were locking people from trying to get just you know, RVs on their land because FEMA designated that area of flood zone and just stupid stuff like that happened over and over with FEMA, and it just felt like, you know, maybe agencies like this do more harm than good, you know, and maybe these these agencies need to be overhauled so that they're actually working for the people instead of just existing to hand out money to the people they employ.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, or you know, I mean even I was just thinking with the seven hundred and fifty dollars, I mean, it's like that doesn't you know if you've got a family that doesn't really go that far, you know, particularly when they lost everything.
Speaker 3: So it's like and even the forty two thousand dollars. That guess the MAXI amount?
Speaker 1: Have you?
Speaker 3: Can you buy a house for forty two thousand? Yes, they're not going to be able to.
Speaker 2: And nobody here had had fled insurance because it's the mountains, you know, Like, so insurance.
Speaker 3: Didn't cover anything up here.
Speaker 2: And I think that's like one of the things people forget is like, well, where was the role of insurance? And nobody had flood insurance, so their lives are completely upended and insurance is paying them nothing. If your home was flooded and you didn't have flood insurance, it's tough luck for.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, because I mean you wouldn't think to have it, of course, not if.
Speaker 2: You live on a tiny little creek up in the mountains. You're not you know, you're not going to think to have you know, your home float away hundreds of feet that that would have never crossed your mind.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine where can people follow your content? As you know, we hope that your community gets the hope that it needs and hopefully gets some of these regulations and red tape slashed so that the response is more efficient.
Speaker 3: Yeah, follow me on X Matt Underscore van Swell.
Speaker 1: Matt, thank you so much. I'm so sorry to your family and to everyone in your community. I really I can't imagine just how scary and devastating and just eruptive that's got to be, and just how hard it's got to be. And I know it's been a long time and it's probably just been really exhausting and you know, probably felt like given up hope. So I'm glad that glad you didn't, and you know, really respect the fact that you continue to fight for your community.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Lisa. It means a time that you're covering the story.
Speaker 2: I mean, it just feels like we've been, you know, screaming to the void for months, you know, and it just it means so much that anyone would actually touch the story.
Speaker 3: For all the people here, it was Matt van Swell.
Speaker 1: We appreciate him for taking the time. Just can't imagine living through that. Or Hark goes out to him. I want to thank you guys at home for listening every Monday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week until next time.