Speaker 1: All right, this is Chase that Lee.
Speaker 2: This is the Phillies show, Ruben Omar Junior, Jim Salisbury, Todd Zleki. It is an emergency pod. I gotta do a couple of those emergency pod. It's Monday, August third, twenty twenty six, and the Phillies have made a couple of trades. They got louise A Rise and Caleb Killian from the Giants and then Lefty Brooks Railey from the Mets. Will go over all the details in a bit, but I guess the headliner Jim Rubin is louise A Rise Rubin. I imagine.
Speaker 3: I love the listen. I know he's not right handed, but that's not the issue. They need to inject some on base percentage, some contact quality hitter.
Speaker 1: This is just quality hitters.
Speaker 3: You're going to have close as close to it Tony Gwynn type as you're going to possibly get.
Speaker 1: The on base percentage has been an issue.
Speaker 3: Creating run possibilities has been an issue.
Speaker 1: This is a guy who's going to get hits.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna walk a lot, he's not going to strike out ever, but he's going to make contact and I think he's going to without a question. He's going to compliment this.
Speaker 1: This lineup really really well.
Speaker 3: Not it's not the same sort of impact as a pied Alonzo would have from the right side, because it's not a power bat, but this is a quality bat that will help lengthen the lineup, create more opportunities to score runs. And that's really what you want from a from a lineup that really struggles with on base percentage and struggles to to lengthen innings and put pressure on a pitcher.
Speaker 4: Agree, the on base percentage factor and putting the bat on the ball is huge. He also brings a ton of energy, which I look at this team and this offense and say, yeah, you could really benefit from that. And you know, sometimes offense equals energy. So I love the pickup from that perspective. I think there's a lot of risk, a lot of moving parts, a lot of potential risk. I mean, you're asking Bryce in Stott to play somewhere. I don't think he's played since spring training briefly in twenty twenty two. But he's a baseball player. I think he can do it, but you never know. I think Alec Bum's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: At first.
Speaker 4: Bryce hasn't played the outfield right field since twenty two, but I should be able to do.
Speaker 1: It for a couple months.
Speaker 4: There's also an element. Okay, Bryce, you know, we got you some offense, but we're really gonna need you to back it up and be the guy who wore the last few days. He's picked it up this week. I'm a little concerned about, you know, middle of a field defense already very shaky at at shortstop. A Rise is not the defender that Stott is, at least with my eyeballs. You know, you could maybe look at some advanced metrics that might tell you otherwise. But look, I admire the creativity and I think it has the potential for a lot of upside for three months.
Speaker 1: We shall see.
Speaker 4: I'm still curious to see if they bring in some starting pitching because I'm worried about the starting pitching depth. You lose one of those guys, I think you're in trouble. But they have addressed and offense that gets shut out too much, that scores one run too much, that looks kind of lifeless too much, And if you only got so many bullets and so many you know, opportunities to fill multiple holes I think it's a pretty good shot they have taken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rise is batting three twenty four power numbers don't matter, four home runs, forty three RBIs eight hundred oh ps. He's walked twenty five times this season. He's struck out only twenty one times. Strikeout rate four and a half percent. Guys, that's the best by far out of one hundred and fifty qualified hitters in Major League Baseball. I think the next best guy is Nico Hornert, like eight and a half percent. So this is a guy that's gonna put the ball in play. He's gonna hit for a high average. He's gonna help out a little bit. That three h four team on base percentage, which is tied for I think twenty eighth in baseball not good. That the inability to extend innings or cashing on route, cashing on runners on base has been super pop problematic. I think they've scored one or fewer runs twenty six times this season. It's like third most in baseball. So we know all the offensive problems. So yeah, I think the expectation, of course is at Bryce's Yeah, is Bryce my understanding, Jim, you're understanding Ruben you're understanding is that Bryce is gonna move out to the outfield unless something.
Speaker 4: He's already said he would. I mean, he said, you know, you've talked to him, but he has told team officials in the short term here revolving revolving around this arise deal, that yes he will.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean that's that's good. I mean, going back to last Monday, you know in Miami had his outfielders glove ready for this opportunity in this moment, he said, Yeah, why do you guys keep asking me this. I've said I will play in the outfield. I will play in the outfield for a couple of months.
Speaker 1: And I did ask him.
Speaker 2: I said that you think like physically, like how is that gonna go? And and he kind of dead panties, like, well, Bobby's got me running around every day in the infield. This actually could be good for me. I can have Bobby Dickerson up my up my butt every day doing infield drills. So he thinks that he can play out there in the short term, what do you Okay, who knows when a rise is going to get here? Where would you hit him in the lineup?
Speaker 1: So here's a couple of things. I got it. I got it. Yeah, probably in the one hole.
Speaker 3: But I here's here's where I'm at on a couple of different things. The arise thing not only helps lengthen out the lineup, but he gives you a little bit of different dynamic, no question about it.
Speaker 1: We talked about that already, and I do think Jimmy, I think. I agree.
Speaker 3: I think he's in the one hole and trays into two hole, and then beyond that that then that's Don Mattingly's deal.
Speaker 1: Fourth. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the question that I have is I think that Harparo hit third and then Schwarbrol hit fourth.
Speaker 1: I believe, but I believe. So here's the thing.
Speaker 3: There's a residual thing that can happen with having a rise on the club.
Speaker 1: What can it do.
Speaker 3: I believe that it will help hitters like Bryce and Stott. I think it'll help hitters like Justin Crawford. I think it will help maybe even some of the other guys. This is a veteran bat that is probably going to be imparting some of his thought process and knowledge and all those things. It's not going to change everybody's approach, and that's not gonna happen necessarily, But I do think that his commitment to the way he approaches at bats has can rub off from the rest of or parts of the rest of the lineup. Just the thought there, that's number one, number two, why not and if I'm the GM, and if I'm Don Mattingly, why not just put him at first base and then move Bryce Harper to write because that improves probably a little bit, or it's at least a neutral at first base, might even improve a little bit because he's had experienced playing first base. I know he wanted to play second base, but he's now with a new team, and he's now in a contending situation. I don't think he can dictate where he's gonna play. He's gonna be a free agent anyway. And number two, I think, Jim, you hit a great point.
Speaker 1: I think you can't make your middle infield any worse. Why would you do that defensively? And that's a concern because now it becomes a little worse because he's not as good a defenders as Bryson Stott second base. You already have.
Speaker 3: Somebody's a little bit of a liability at times at short. That concerns me so why not just put him at first and send and and have Bryson Scott excuse me, Rice Harper play right field. That is a very simple move. You don't have to move four guys. Now you just move one and or now you just.
Speaker 1: Move two instead of four. That's my final thing. You also make you make your overall defense better.
Speaker 4: I don't think he wants to. I've seen reports he does not want to come off second. He wants to play second. So I again, I don't know if that that might have a lot to do with it. I mean, how about another concern you are you're very left handed. You're very left handed.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that doesn't concern me as much because I don't view him as like a left just a lefty on left because he himself.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not.
Speaker 3: Those other guys aren't flipping over and hitting the right. They're gonna be left handed anyway. This guy's a left handed hitter who can hit his left handers and put the ball in play and do all those things that are necessary.
Speaker 1: It's not I don't I didn't look at all the splits.
Speaker 3: But my from my eyes and from what I understand about the player, we can look at the splits.
Speaker 1: I just think that he's you know, he's.
Speaker 3: An everyday player, and he's an everyday player who has success against lefties end rightings.
Speaker 4: And you're putting a lot on base percentage in the top of your lineup, ahead of Turner, ahead of Harper, ahead of Schwarber, So that should equal.
Speaker 2: More damage a batting three point fifteen with the seven eighty two ops this season against lefties, eight or nine ops against righty's. So I mean, he's doesn't matter who's thrown to him. I guess as we know. I mean, you hit three, three twenty every year for the last how many years?
Speaker 3: You know, Gott he's as close to an element to Tony gwyn as you as you can have right now in this particular era. Not the power, but I mean just having that guy at the top of the lineup, uh, the on base all all the things that he brings to the table, the the ability to grind it bats and make it more difficult on the pitcher and to you know, to get that starting pitcher out of the game faster. I mean, all types of things that are that that. I mean, the domino effect of having that type of a hitter is pretty grandiose pretty big.
Speaker 2: Jim Rubin, don't get mad at me. Now, I'm going to tell you something, Okay, don't get mad at me. Well, we used to rise outs above average this season at second base plus eleven, second best in Major League Baseball. Bryce and Scott six outs above average, ninth in Major League Baseball. So so we'll see, we will see, we will see how he does it second base.
Speaker 4: But I can't believe those Bryce and Stott numbers.
Speaker 3: I just think I just think that overall, you're a better defensive team. Right by just putting a rise at first and Bryce and right, you're just.
Speaker 1: A better team. But I don't make those decisions that I'm not paid to do. So.
Speaker 2: So, if you have bryceon right, obviously he's playing every day, how do you what do you do in center? What do you do in left? Brian day La Cruz has been swinging a good bat. Do you put him in the left field with Brandon Marsh you have and then you have then you have Derrek Hill and Justin Crawford platoon and center? Yeah right, yes, yes, okay, all right, we're on it. Look at us on the same page.
Speaker 4: I still shake my head at some of the metrics on Bryson Stott's defense, becausehen I look at him, Hillies, I see a terrific defense, and.
Speaker 1: It's not a slight on our rise.
Speaker 3: I just feel like, I just feel like you have so many more moving parts.
Speaker 1: If you, if you, if.
Speaker 3: You move boom from and Boone's been fine at third, Boone doesn't play a lot of first base.
Speaker 5: I'm not that impressed with the way Boone. I mean, you don't know how Boonem's gonna play at first. Yeah, if you're gonna play great at first, is Stott gonna play great at third?
Speaker 1: I mean that's a concern to me, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's one of those things that, like the average Joe doesn't really think about until there's a big play in the game and then you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a totally different play for Bryson Stott to come running in on a bare hand swinging bunt to run bunt plays.
Speaker 1: I know he's been in the infield.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, I like his instinct and all that stuff, But ball coming off the bat so differently from from third base rather than second base, so different And yes, can he play the position, but can he play the position when you have like a man on third base or first and third and you need a double play, and does he make the decision if the balls hit hard enough to go to the double play or does he go to home. It's just a totally different thing for him to do and so many different responsibilities. I just feel like the easier move is to put a rise at first and Bryson right, I'm gonna be hound.
Speaker 2: Monster Energy is keeping the Philly show going all season long. Unleash the Beast. Game Day isn't just about baseball. It's about bringing the energy wherever you are. Pick up a Monster Energy drink at your local retailer and fuel the hype. Might need one today as this trade deadline approaches. To tricks that we haven't even talked about. The bullpen pieces, guys like Brooks Raley, Caleb Killian, just in terms of depth improving the app. They needed it. We know they needed it. We knew they were going to go out and get it. But Brooks Ralli has had a pretty nice year and it really solves a problem from the left handed side.
Speaker 1: Two big league pitchers, two big league pictures.
Speaker 4: Right Killians pitched at the back end for the Giants, a bit this year, gets some strikeouts. Raley's tough against the lefties, but also having a good year against righties. And you know, I think something to like here about these two acquisitions is they hung on to Andrew Painter, who, Okay, you know, say what you want about him. I still think he's got a lot of talent and can end up being a good picture for this team for a long time. I'm still a believer. So you hang on to Andrew Painter, who was coveted quite a bit in this trade deadline. You hang on to gage Wood, who is coveted, was coveted quite a bit at this trade deadline. You lose Marquez and ascending talent kind of really has come on and landed on the map this year. A lot of people like him. But I think it's a sacrifice what actually had to make.
Speaker 2: So the Phillies have announced that we're recording this in the afternoon. Phillies officially announced that the Arise deal has happened, and to make room for them on the roster, they dfa Lou Trevino and Peyton Henry. So there's there's your corresponding forty men roster moves.
Speaker 1: Let's not make a small deal out of the Brooks Rally deal. Okay, the Brooks Rally deal is big. I mean you look at the numbers.
Speaker 3: Got forty five games pitched to one point nine to six cra a whip that's under one point one. I mean, this is a guy that's had a lot of success. He's got the lefties hitting one to eighty six. Listen, beyond Alvarado is starting to throw a little bit better. I mean, I think I trust this guy, maybe more than Alvarado. I certainly trust him more than mays En Bacchus. I mean, you've made a very not just an incremental improvement on your back end of your bullpen up, pretty significant one. It'd be nice to get another one. I'd love to get another lockdown right hand or I don't know if they can do that, and I'm not sure. And and Raley's done well against left right handers as well, so he may be sliding into that eight slot, who knows, or mixing match with he and Jonathan Bollen, who's sort of stepped forward.
Speaker 1: But they made him. That's it. That's a pretty big move, folks. Yeah, uh, don't don't.
Speaker 3: Don't think for a minute now, will he perform. I don't know, but but he's been there, he's done it.
Speaker 1: He's been around.
Speaker 3: This guy who's throwing the ball very well, he's getting people out.
Speaker 1: He's a veteran guy. He's been around. I know he's not young, but that's important. You'd like to have veteran guys who have been through the wars a little bit. And uh, I think it's a nice vote. Yeah, and they got him at a very low cost.
Speaker 2: They did, They did. Bikerman was like ranked twenty seventh in the system and Gabris Saint Joe's guy on his way up to New York. But it's a good time. Amy Alvarado has been throwing the ball better lately, so maybe they can if they could get both of those guys going. Now all of a sudden, that those seventh and eighth innings aren't like, hold on to your butts, hold on your h Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: You mentioned you mentioned Alvarado, and this ties all into what something we've talked about now for a couple of years in a row. Their success is still going to be tied to their existing core guys who've done in the past, the guys with the track records. Harper I would even put Alvarado on that list. It's been a key contributor around here. He needs to be a key contributor again. They need Turner to keep swinging it and sharpest defense. They need the three all stars who had really disappointing julys Marsh, Schwarmer, and Harper all had difficult July. They need him to get back on the horse and really you know, be strong, productive contributors the rest of the way here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, so we'll see stay healthy in the rotation.
Speaker 1: They need one hundred percent health in the rotation, one hundred percent. I think there's some there's some optimism for me on Painter. This is the way through.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you can continue and get continue to improve and gain in his overall confidence.
Speaker 1: But uh, that's a piece of this as well.
Speaker 3: That's going to be important because Painter needs They need some wins out of four and five slot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll see if the Phillies make any more trades before the six pm Eastern deadline. I don't think we're gonna do any more emergency pods today unless they go out and do something.
Speaker 1: Unless they go get Pete Alonzo now.
Speaker 2: And Mike Trout, they get Trout and Alonso will have an emergency pod, another emergency pod. Otherwise, though, I think we're planning to get together on Tuesday morning to discuss everything that Dave Dombrowski had to say about these trades. Bryce Harper, you know, Bryce and stuff, Alec Baum, all these moving pieces you know in terms of the bullpen Don Mattingly of course. So we'll be back Tuesday morning to check us out, check us out, talk to you guys later, Smell it later.
Speaker 1: Voice, Smell you, Jimmy. If you made it this far, you'll love this next video.
Speaker 3: Check it out right here, and make sure you subscribe to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week