Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, So a lot of people asks us how do they make a podcast? So I'm let you on a secret on the easiest, most productive way to start a podcast and get it up and running, and that is the app called anchor is free. They have all kinds of cool creation tools that allow you to record and edit your podcast right from your phone a computer. They will distribute your podcast for you to all of the major outlets including Spotify, Apple, Google, manymore, and you can make money from your podcast with no minimum listenership. It's everything you need to make a podcast in one simple, easy place. So if you're interested in starting a podcast, go download the free Anchor app or go to anchor dot fm to get started.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: My graduates from my school being force backdrop drop drop b drop. This is how I kind of explain stocks when I teach it to my students that it's kind of like a giant pizza pie, right, with like a million different slices, and then each slice represents a share of a company, right. And then if you buy one slice of Nike, now you're part owner of Nike.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And then obviously the more slices that you buy in the pie, you have a larger ownership of that pie.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But all publicly traded companies that's on you know, the stock market, anybody can become an owner, and by buying ownership, whether it's in Snapchat or Facebook or Google, now you're a part owner of that company. And if the company does well, then the stock price goes up. If it doesn't do well, stock price goes down. And that's kind of like a real easy way to understand it. But that's kind of my take on it.
Speaker 5: I think that's like the baseline and premise of it. Like, right, like we want to own shares, like we know what shares are, then we want to delve into Okay.
Speaker 4: What are we owning? Why are we owning? Right?
Speaker 5: We got the have right we can go to different places, be it e trade and share, a builder and schwab.
Speaker 2: And can we just talk about that because a lot of people might not know. I'm glad you brought that up because I get that course to sometlfs too, like how do you buy stock? So it's relatively easy to do now, right, Like they have apps like Robinhood, like you said, scot Trade.
Speaker 3: E Trade stuff like that.
Speaker 2: We you can just go online and create a user name, password and you know, the link it to your bank account and you can just buy stock. That part is relatively easy to do. But the next part is what people stumble because the thing that I think people have problems stock is that, Okay, they know how to do it.
Speaker 3: But with Stocked, I buy, right, it's kind of like just throwing darts at the board blind.
Speaker 2: So what you end up just randomly picking Netflix hoping it goes up. Right, you have something interested in, you said to us as far as like when looking at stock, it's good to mo like what you're interested in?
Speaker 3: Can you just talk about that?
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing for me to help me learn was picking areas of interest because the knowledge sticks.
Speaker 4: Right. We all had classes in school.
Speaker 5: That we didn't like, Like, we didn't like I didn't like earth science and related like, it didn't stick even though like you know, you passed a class, get a B or whatever, you ain't get in the class, right, but the information didn't stick with me because it wasn't an interesting topic.
Speaker 4: And you, yeah, you kind of want to.
Speaker 5: Get through it in this forum, right, I want to pick something that I'm interested in because when I read it, I'm going to retain it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna hold on to it, I'm gonna build on top of it.
Speaker 5: So you're kind of an architect, right, I say my model for myself every day is that I'm the architect of my legacy, right, and every day I'm putting a brick down from my legacy because you don't get to tell people to say we're not here. So the same thing goes forward every other place of life, where it's like, all right, I'm the architect of my portfolio, I'm the architect of my knowledge base. I'm the architect of whatever is I'm doing. I'm building and it's never going to be finished. Right, It's like a skyscraper. You're just going to keep on building. On top of building, your interest is what's going to lead you to adding more bricks, Because if you're interested in tech, well, somehow you'll probably end up in media, right, And if you're interested in that, you might end up in telecom and all so on and so forth right, And all of a sudden you have this wide knowledge base because you started here, but your interests help you build more bricks to kind of build your mental skyscraper, if that makes sense. So I always said start there because you want to own the sexy stuff, right, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google. You want the sexy Thing'll go to your friends and say, hey, yeah, you know, I own Facebook, own ample, right, and sexy everybody wants to own that. But the most important thing is starting off with interest so that you can build a knowledge base and you can start to build your own mental skyscraper that's going to hopefully take you places financial and mentally where you're growing in both spaces.
Speaker 2: So that's like like Warren Buffett like his approaches. He he invests in companies that he understands. Yes, right, So I always tell kids, like once again in the class, like Okay, what do you have on your feet? Everybody that has Nike Adidas, right, So it's like, Okay, you understand the brand because you spend all your money on it, right, So it's not like it's not foreign to you. Like you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out, Okay, Kanye just did a deal with a Didas, or Beyonce just did a deal with a Didas. Didas is hot right now? Or Nike lebron signed he got the shortage coming out. So these are things that we understand and we don't have to be a stock market analyst to know that I'm already investing money in these companies by buying why not in the actual company.
Speaker 6: In the sense you're you're making the trending, right, So there's a reason why that company went up, whether it be like the iPhone, right, he'll raise Apple sotoc or if Nike's putting on a new product or Dida's put out.
Speaker 4: On their product.
Speaker 6: We are the trend nakers, you know what I mean. So, like that was one of that's one of the key things we say. So after we tell them, hey, this is what a share is, the next thing is like invest in put money in what you already are invested in.
Speaker 4: So if it's Horizon as your phone.
Speaker 6: Company, then maybe you should have stock in that, or if it's Sprint or whoever it is, right, invest in yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's the biggest thing, right, Like we want to understand what we invest in. Like, no one likes an investment where you kind of don't understand what's going on, and it's kind of like gambling. Now it's not an investment. Now you're just gambling. And for all that you can go put their money on black and a see hope for the best. But we look at these companies. It's very key to understand why a company goes up or why a company goes down. The stock market is very similar to fashion. Right, I'm willing to pay the extra twenty dollars for Nike as opposed to undom or why because it's Nike is a little bit cooler, right, and that's the thing you're paying for. I call it social equity. What I have on and when I'm dressed in Nike adeeda is I have the Gucci I have on product? There's a reason why those items are priced in those spaces. They know people are buying, right, and we all know it's the same factory that makes them, and it is put a tag going on. But you're willing to spend one hundred dollars more for this tag, right than the other tag because you want the social equity of somebody saying, Okay, it looks good. Okay, I see him, and that's what you're buying. So you have to also know why this company's going up, why it's going down.
Speaker 4: And that goes back to interest, right, it's what equity I need to now.
Speaker 2: Read you said that you have to learn how to read and know the interest. Okay, you're interested in one thing, but now how do you actually examine to see if this is actually worth.
Speaker 3: Buying or not?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So you can read, but like what do you read? Like what's good?
Speaker 2: How do you know if something is actually worth buying or not? Social equity so.
Speaker 5: Social it's kind of a term I coined myself because I always look shopping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not sure? Is it something I look at go shopping or just in life? Right?
Speaker 5: What kind of car you drive? And what kind of house do you live in? What town do you live in? What do you have in your house? People are very much into the social aspect, right, like social media. You don't even really see the highlights. So it's like ESPN Top ten over again. Right, No one ever sks the grind and the failure and the ups and the downs and the ebbs and the flows. Right, we just see somebody pop up and they have all this stuff. How'd you get it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: But we don't care what the social equity says. I want that now, But you don't understand what that person went through to get or how they got or they could be lying whatever. It is the ideas that people want to feel accepted. No one ever wants to be the dumbest person in the room. People are okay with being the second dumbest person in the room because they said, well you dumber, so you know what, Okay, with him being dumb. I'm not the numbest person in the room, right, but no one ever thinks past that. And so the idea is to get people to critically think because a lot of things that we do habitually on their day basis, these are our habits, right. We don't ask any questions. Your mom says, when you grow up, brush teeth in the morning, why not the afternoon. We were never not programming the question things for a program, just to accept them the way they are. That's not that that stock market works. A stock could be a goodbye and could be going down right for other reasons that have nothing to do with why you think it.
Speaker 4: Should go down or why I think it should go down.
Speaker 2: So that's the part that I'm getting at. So what could make it? You know, port range? What can make a stock go up? What can make a stock go down? Other than what's obvious to the naked.
Speaker 4: Eye, right, something like that.
Speaker 5: No, it's just perception, Like think about the market, right, This all for GAZI Right, So as a CEO will get certain bonuses if a stock has certain peaks, right this Okay, you're the CEO of ABC company and they'll say you listen if you can get the shares up to thirty dollars a share and hold it around this range for four months, we'll give you ten million dollars and then so on and so forth with getting the share price up. But it's all kind of like a figazi, why is it that price?
Speaker 4: Why is up? WHI is it down? Right?
Speaker 5: Forgets supply and demanding volume. A lot of it's just perception of the market. It's what the market perceives, what big money perceives, what somebody thinks right, we get information. Now, if you own three shares at Apple and you like their third quarter earnings call, he owns one hundred million dollars Apple and he hates it. Who has more effect on how the stock goes? He does because he has more equity in the stock, so he has more say so in terms of how it moves. Even though you might be right with your three shares, he might be wrong in his perception.
Speaker 4: Right. So all this stuff is perception based.
Speaker 5: And that's why the sweat equity of actually reading and engulfing yourself in the subject matter of interest is going to help you understand the company. And if you understand Apple, it's going to be easy to understand Google. It's going to be easier to understand Amazon, It's going to be easier to understand any other kind of tech brand because the model of how they distribute their products, their ideas, and their messages. They're not like the same saying, but they're similar similar, and it's going to help you pick up on ideas. Facebook used and tactic called a little bighorn, right, And they went into Texas. They went to the University of Texas and said, hey, we want to give y'alls Facebook. The University of Texas said, now, we're University of Texas.
Speaker 4: We're good.
Speaker 5: So they went to Texas A and M Texas State. I smu every school in Texas around and gave them Facebook, to the point where students at Texas said, Yo, why we have Facebook? And the Texas was forced to do business with Facebook. That happens in business all the time, right, It's something we don't pay attention to. But these triggers and levers that happened. You'll start to notice as you read. And I said, you build the brick, right, you're building. When you get to the second floor, you go, I get that. Now I can now read the tea leaves. I've seen this coming, right, I see what possibly can happen. I don't know what's going to happen, but I can have an idea based on how well I know it. You play ball, If I come down, I go in and out. I'm either going to cross or I'm going to go straight. So as a defender, you know what I'm going to do, or have an idea so you can react.
Speaker 4: A little faster. Right, it's the same thing that we use every day.
Speaker 6: I'm going to go backward just a little bit because you said reading and that's important. On the last episode, on episode fourteen, we talked about the importance of reading and a lot of times we get discounted because we're not reading The Catcher and a Rye. Right, what publications should we be reading if we're trying to invest in the South market?
Speaker 5: I think the Wall Street Journal is good to read. Barns is a little bit of advanced, but Barons is a good place to start to read. I think Financial Time is a good place to read. I think the Economists, even though it's not solely financed dock base, it gives you a premise of outside the scope of how we think because We think domestically, right, we think about what affects America and when you're dealing with stocks and companies, these are global companies, right, So how does Europe affect this company?
Speaker 4: How does China affect this company? How does India affect this company? We don't think like that.
Speaker 5: We think, Okay, well you have a Horizon service, so you figure I'm gonna invest my money in Verizon, right, because but Verizon's a global brand. So what's going on in Australia? What's going on here? We look at the country like India. They have a billion people, right, how many people in an India do you think have a cell phone?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say fifty million? Yeah, something small number, ten million, one hundred, like eight million, hundred and nine million people. I have a billion.
Speaker 5: So it's an arms race between Walmart and Apple. The boyst country gets to India because they're building the middle class.
Speaker 4: Right that The same thing was happening in China.
Speaker 6: Imber we spoke up off again about China Moverien and it was like they're trying to build so much infrastructure because they would they almost have two billion people, right, But.
Speaker 4: It's a race to the middle class. Right.
Speaker 5: And but when you look at the company on a broad scale, and I look at it like a company and I have like Netflix, and I said, okay, do really well.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of subcribirds.
Speaker 5: We understand how it works, but they haven't really touched Europe or other country.
Speaker 4: So there's growth there that we get you interested.
Speaker 5: Right, And those are the kind of things when you start to read about companies, you go count interested now now mentioned because I know if they're doing well here, there's an opportunity here, right. All we want in life is options, the same thing everywhere else.
Speaker 4: Right. I want the option to go out to eat.
Speaker 5: I want to have options, but I want to eat here here here, I want to have that option or I want to option.
Speaker 4: What kind of call on jobs I want to out eat? Do I want to bend? Do I want? Right? I want that option. If we work for we work to have options. Right.
Speaker 5: So the same thing in the market is that understand these companies now pull levers and the more you understand what you're digesting and investing in, the more options you'll have.
Speaker 4: Now, it's a slow reward.
Speaker 5: This thing is in a I'm going to put money in on Monday and be rich on Wednesday. This is a character choice when you're talking about starting from scratch, right in terms of a BILLITINGR portfolio. So now you might not see the siege of labor, right. It might go to your kids but right, Or it might be something that is a passion project and you can only fund so much. We'll be realistic, like everybody doesn't have one hundred thousand throwing to the market or a million. You start winning thousand here, one thousand and there. So you have to be patient with it and be patient with your own growth, the same way that we're patient in life with different things.
Speaker 4: That's gonna lead us into a very interesting yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, So yeah, so now you got the you know, the groundwork.
Speaker 2: That was a lot we're going Now we're gonna go into the hot topics of the day.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So now we're going to go into some hot topics because everybody's been talking about the stock market recently for a couple of different companies.
Speaker 3: Lifting Google specifically, a couple others.
Speaker 2: Pinterest is another one, Pinterest, But everybody's interested in lifting Google. They just well lift ipo and Uber is about the i po. Right, So everybody's been hitting us up, like, can you talk about Lyft? Can you talk about what with OPO? Should we buych you?
Speaker 3: You're not so.
Speaker 2: First of all, we're not here to give you stock advice. We're just here to give you information. And then from the information you can you know, do whatever you want. Right, So cut all right? The first question is that IPO. Right, A lot of people will hit this term, but they're not. They don't fully even understand what's.
Speaker 4: Happening itself, gotcha.
Speaker 5: So it's an initial public offering a lot of times we see the evaluation for a company and like, is that how the product they get? The numbers hold evaluation and come from a multiue of things.
Speaker 4: The valuation.
Speaker 5: You can look at a company and think that the company's worth thirty billion. You can look at a company and thinks the company's worth ten billion.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Everybody has a different metrics on what they value stuff. And again the evaluation is from without looking inside, right, This is just on the outside of your house, like the appraisal, right, So it's appraising you. So the evaluation could be correct, could not be?
Speaker 2: Because I was gonna say, because right now, Uber is possibly they look at a hundred billion.
Speaker 5: Somewhere in the realm, they're gonna come up with the high value might be one of the higher ones, right.
Speaker 2: Hundred let's say one hundred billion dollar valuation. That's what they're looking at. And they've never made a proper so that's another thing, right lift, it's never made a profit.
Speaker 5: So that part of it is like basically, once you go an IPO and you haven't made a profit, that clock starts taking. Now you got to make a really good right, and they'll give you some quarters to kind of get your feet wet and stuff together, right, But eventually, now you're open to investors and public investors and other institutions and hedge funds.
Speaker 4: Who all have different motives. You might be a long term investor, he.
Speaker 5: Might be a hedge from looking to make a quick buck or making look make a power play, right, and that kind of gets into the market if you awys want to think about it. It's like the ocean, right, you got sharks, and you have fish, and you have whales, and you have eels and you have seals. You have all these different creatures. They all have different purposes, right the octopus, and they all just want to live their life in the ocean.
Speaker 4: They want what they want, right.
Speaker 5: The eel's not worried about what the shark's doing, and the shark's not worried about what the coyfish is doing.
Speaker 4: They're all just.
Speaker 5: Living in the same atmosphere. But they have different purposes. And that's a stock market. When you start to get into the exchange and all these different investors, right, that's a deeper dive when you get into this IPO market. The company's doing it because they feel like with the extra cash, they'll be able to take their company to the next level, the same way that you might take a home equity loan out because you feel like you can take your house to the next level and it'll raise the evaluation in your house by adding the bathroom or adding the kitchen, or adding something to your home, right and eventually going to pay that money back, because that's a debt.
Speaker 4: Right, they're offering equity, that's debt. They owes money money.
Speaker 5: They use other people's money to take themselves to the next level, the same way as people. We take loans and credit cards to take ourselves to the next level.
Speaker 4: Companies to do right, we're all owns.
Speaker 5: We're the CEOs or our own companies every day, right, so your balance sheet of what you do on a daily basis, you're the CEO. You are Rashad as a CEO or Rashard co. So decisions you make on a daily basis the same way as CEO made decisions for his company. So you start to look at it like that, it's all kind of connect together. You know, you're like, Okay, I understand why they would do this now because he's moving in the best interest the same way that you would do that, right.
Speaker 2: Like so then also all right, but so Snapchat, right, can we talk? They still haven't made a profit, okay, and they say that they might never make a profit, right yep. So okay, So these companies come into the stock market like Uber and Lifting they never made a profit. But from my perspective and the easiest way to explain, people will still give them a benefit of the doubt because they believe in the business model anything. One day they will turn a profit, right, But sometimes they don't turn a profit like Snapchat.
Speaker 4: So now what it.
Speaker 5: Comes down to potential, Right, at some point in time, you get too old to have potential. Right, It's like basketball, It's about life, right, Like if I don't get it right at seventeen years old, it's like, well, you have your whole life ahead of year, and then I don't get it right at twenty four, where you're still young. I don't get it right at twenty six. Hey you kind of on your last legs. I don't get it right a thirty five. I like, fam just didn't figure it out.
Speaker 6: That's that's what I say, right, Like you have a dude, don't make it out there at a certain point in time, the potential is going right.
Speaker 5: I can't use that as a as an excuse as to why I'm not accomplishing something, And so accept all these things in the stock marketing, all these things in life kind of tying together. So yeah, on potential, I'm going to invest in this company because it can be fruitful if I was investing.
Speaker 4: That's what the person's thinking, rather earners. What's up.
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association. Member a FDIC.
Speaker 8: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security, saying Okay, I get the premise.
Speaker 4: I understand the business concept.
Speaker 5: I understand how they make money, how they plan to make money, what they're gonna do. First part. Second part is are they gonna execute?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: We understand now, but I believe in the execution. And then if they don't execute, what's my next move? Everybody never, nobody ever plans a fail. Like people always plan for everything to go right. And that's not how life works. Right when I was a kid, Okay, I'm gonna get my degree at twenty two, I'd be married at twenty five, make six figures at twenty six, I'm gonna have a kid at thirty. Like that never happens. But life that punches you in the mouth, and you know, everybody's journey is different. So that's why I said this stuff is all kind of like life based, because at the end of the day, these journeys these companies are on are independent their own. Like the CEO's job is to do a certain job with the company and raise capital or to take the shares to a certain price, and Adidas and a Nike, though they are competitors, they might have different you know, operating procedures or different goals of what they want to do. And that comes down to like looking actually in the company at what they're doing well, what they're not doing well, and how their success or failure basically affects the ecosystem with which they live in, which is the stock market. For example, foot Locker derives a lot of the success from Nike, right Nike's a big, biggest shoe retailer in terms of sneakers. Twenty seventeen, Nike had a very bad fashion year. They didn't hit on a lot of different things, right, So they had a down year that took Footlocker stock from like seventy to thirty bucks to drop like sixty five percent because they're.
Speaker 4: Tied to that.
Speaker 5: And then on top of Nike not having a good year and an affecting foot Locker, Nike said We're now going to directly distribute shoes from Amazon.
Speaker 4: So the market said, oh, you guys are definitely in.
Speaker 5: Trouble now, right, And now you look at Footblocker and they've kind of built themselves back. And Nike had a better year the two seventies hit and the whole They have a bunch of different shoe lines and clothing lines that hit that did well, and that ecosystem, right, they're doing well affected foot Blocker. So the same I said, It's like an ocean, right, the ecosystem and how we do things affects everybody. It's important to understand Nike because I'm going to understand the DTIs. It's going to help me understand under Armour, It's going to help me understand foot Locker, it's going to help me understand Sketchers, and help me understand all these other companies that are in the same ecosystem on a daily basis, and that will now affect what I want to invest in if that's what I want to invest in.
Speaker 2: So would you recommend like specialty? All right, So if I wanted to get started in a stock market, right, should I just focus my own here and say, okay, I remember ready interested in tech. Let me just focus on tech so I can learn everything about tech that I need to know Google, Amazon, Facebook, all of these companies, or focus my energy on fashion or because then it's like okay, once I'm master that, Like you said, now one tech company is kind of related to the next tech company, and I'll be able to read those publications.
Speaker 3: I'll kind of have my niche.
Speaker 2: Or would you just recommend like broad range learning much about as much things as possible.
Speaker 5: Like I said before, I'm a big proponent of read what you're interested in. That's the best way, because you're gonna get excited to read. Like I don't think people get excited to read. Like you're not excited to read certain stuff, Like we don't have to read the Apple contracts when they pops up and it's like.
Speaker 4: You don't see what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Yes, they're like saying, yo, we're gonna take information, We're gonna stop here, and like okay, whatever, agree, agree, agree, Right.
Speaker 4: No one likes to read.
Speaker 5: So the biggest thing is is to do the things that you don't like to do it you're not comfortable.
Speaker 4: That's when you know you're growing.
Speaker 5: Like if I'm doing stuff and I'm not comfortable doing it because I don't have a comfortability, I don't do it all the time.
Speaker 4: I need to do it because I'm grown.
Speaker 5: I don't need to keep on doing the same things that I'm comfortable with, Right, but the comfortability isn't the interest just from.
Speaker 4: The teaching standpoint that comes with endurance.
Speaker 6: Like reading, endurance is a thing, right like the first time you read an article, maybe you do it for five minutes, and then that's time, you do it for ten minutes, and then by you.
Speaker 4: Know, a month or six months, now you're reading for an hour. Right. You got to build that thing up. You got to train yourself to do it, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So now we yeah, we gave you some backgron on it. So now we're going to go into the next level of how you guys can actually get your foot in the game and start to make some money because it's one thing to learn about it, but it's another thing to actually profit from it, all right, gos So, now we gave you some background info on the stock markets, how stocks work. But now you know, it's one thing, as I said before, to provide information, it's another thing that actually use the information. So now we want to give you some tools that you can use yourself as far as you know, to get your feet wet and investing. So all right, we talked about platforms, right, So there's there's a there's a there's a lot of different platforms how somebody can invest. Right, one of the apps is Robinhood, right, what what's what? What's your favorite? Like what's your what?
Speaker 5: So it depends right, like do you want to do do you bank with Chase and then you can do it through JP Morgan Chase if you wanted to do it, right, do you bank through Bank of America? You do, AMERI Lynch If you bank through as Far you do. So there's platforms there. There's there's scott Trade, there's e Trade, there's t D, there's Robinhood, there's Acorn, there are glutt in your places.
Speaker 3: Acorn, because somebody asks about Acorn has a unique platform.
Speaker 5: So Acorn is the company if I'm not misinform is a company that I think ash Cusher is a part of where I take the change when you use it and they buy shares with your change, and it's a way to get exposure to the market.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So like the game that we're playing is all about exposure. You don't know what you don't know? Right, So then reading exposure these sites exposure. Now you're exposed to all these sites we're mentioning, go on there, read their platform, read the offers, read call them. They have customer service people ask questions, say, hey, if I choose you as opposed to them, what benefit do I have. That's the thing. We're in a bubble right now. The ideas that get out that bubble, and so what we want to preach is, yeah, there are a lot of platforms, and now the onus is on the person that do due diligence. I don't know what works best for you because I don't know your financial circumstances. I don't know where you bank, I don't know what you're comfortable with. There are companies that have customer service reaps you can call before you make a trade, that will help walk you through stuff. They'll help find research with you. They have platforms. It's extensive stuff. It's very labor intensive, right, All this stuff is labor intensive. So now this comes down to how passionate are you about things? So we read the fine press. So I want to let people know too.
Speaker 2: A lot of time people have the misconception that you have to be wealthy or rich to invest in stock market.
Speaker 5: Right, which is it's not true because the end game to the difference on how people think and not everybody looks like this, right, money is temporary and it comes and goes ebbs and flows. Knowledge is what we're mining here, Like we're crafting knowledge, right. I can't take that from you. I can't go in your brain and take the knowledge. What makes the knowledge powerful is that you can build on it or you can share it, and you can make other people knowledgeable. And if me and you both have to be knowledgeable, well then you have iron and shop and iron, right, and that's where it gets powerful. And then when I do have the actual capital to do things significantly, I'm ready mentally, right, So you can have a million dollars and not be sufficiently educated to move, so that you can have one thousand dollars and be educated, and all you're doing is building your knowledge based until that moment comes where you have that money to make significant move for yourself. So the ideas we're preaching exposure, we're preaching knowledge. Right, we'll keetch your hands in the dirt. But it comes down to the individual person. How bad do you want to learn the market? How bad do you want to be a resource for your friends and family? How bad do you want to see your goals happen. I don't control that you don't control that. We're all CEOs our own companies. So again, bunch of platforms. Right, we can give you the names, we can list them out by the end of the day, you have to do it's best for you. Because I don't wear a side small, so I can't try a side small. Surely want to tell you if it's not, I'm going to excel the same thing for people. These platforms are good if you have this amount of money to invest and you're looking for this kind of customer service. If you don't want any customer service, you want to do it yourself, this platform is good if you want to be able to walk into a bank brand and have a conversation with somebody about different things in the face of it, well, this is good.
Speaker 4: Free.
Speaker 5: These things are all quite essential to what it is you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I like what you said as far as you can't take the knowledge. Because I had one friend who he he made he made a million dollars let's say roughly like he made a million dollars young, right, then he fell on some hard times and he lost pretty much all of it. And but another one of my friends was talking to him and he was like you're going to make a million dollars again easy. And when he said that, it was kind of like I asked him later, I'm like, why would you say that, you don't even know, like it's not easy to make a million dollars? Said because he already made it before, so he got the information. He understands how to do it. Now you just got to do it again. That's like, that's the first million. You can't, like you said, you can't take somebody's knowledge. Once you have the knowledge to do it, you're gonna do it again.
Speaker 5: Well, what makes them dangerous, right, like in terms of being able to get that back, is that he has knowledge and experience. It's one thing to be a coach and coach a sport, but there's another thing to play and be in that moment because I can now coach from a different angle because I've been in that moment. So we watch coaches in the NBA and there's certain guys we look at and it's like that dude really was never in that moment, So it's hard for him to get across this player the significance of the moment because he didn't do it or certain guys are not able to basically talk and communicate like Michael Jordan's with respect is a terrible owner, Like he's not good at putting a team together or gym and stuff because he was so great, so he can't compute how everybody's not great. But Larry Bird is able to get the most out of Indiana Pacers all the time. And they might not be the most talented players, but Larry Bird was the most athletic guy.
Speaker 4: He was just super smart and very skills.
Speaker 5: He's able to understand that and put teams together that are not juggernauts, but they're team that you don't well can't walk over. It's the same thing, right, like a person that has experience plus the knowledge base is always going to double up faster. So if I lost that million or whatever it is, I can get it back fast. But not only do I have the life experience of what I went through. So I'm gonna just basically skip these hurdles. Right, these mistakes I've made that those are out the way. So if I skip these hurdles that might have cost me six months in mistakes, that's going six months to a million wherever the number is right. And that's the power We have to first learn. So we're knowledgeable and we're armed. Right, I've armed myself to go into battle. I didn't go and I didn't run into the battle with nothing in my hands.
Speaker 6: To like, I'm gonna get smarter, and that's I mean, that's what we do, right. Nobody teaches us like, especially stocks. It's not something that is learned in school. And if your parents have never invested in stocks, like, we have no armor when we go out.
Speaker 2: So what happens with most of the time most middle class people and in our community especially is that people are intimidated with things they don't understand, they don't know right, So what ends up happening is that if you just stay away from it and you say it's over my head, I don't want anything to do with it, because, especially when it comes to money, people is not gonna invest in something or that they don't understand.
Speaker 3: So this is what the podcast is about to fully equip you.
Speaker 2: But before we leave, I wanted to talk about a couple of different ways where people can invest in stock market even if okay, even if you don't want to fully dive in and do the research and it may not be your forte you can still invest in stock market, right, there's other ways to invest.
Speaker 3: So there's like mutual funds.
Speaker 2: Why would allows you to invest in stock market without actually investing yourself?
Speaker 3: Right, it is being done for you.
Speaker 2: And a mutual fund is a company like a Franklin, Simpleton or Oppenheim, And what they do is they pull together let's say one hundred and fifty different stocks and one mutual fund, and you pay a fee for that.
Speaker 3: But you're paying a fee because they're doing the work for you. Right.
Speaker 2: So it's like a four one K, it's a job where nobody really knows the money in a four one K where it's invested, it's invested in stock market, but nobody knows which stock is actually invested in.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: The same thing with a mutual fund kind is like you're investing in a mutual fund, like it could be a tech fund, but that tech funm I have one hundred and fifty different stocks inside of it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So the benefit with that is that a it allows you to invest in a low amount. It's like a lot of times, like fifty dollars a month minimum or like a thousand dollars a month longth sum. So you're investing at a pretty low entry point, and you don't have to do the work yourself, like you don't have to research.
Speaker 3: You know, it's being done for you.
Speaker 2: And another way to invest is an index fund, right, So an indexed fund, you know, attracts an index. So we have like the S and P five hundred or dal Jones and that's pretty much like a microcosm of the stock market. And so instead of you trying to pick stocks yourself, you're just investing in a broader stock market as a whole. And that's another way where it's it's passive, right, because you're not actually doing the work, it's just mirroring the actual market. So I say those those two ways in particular because we want everybody to get involved in investing, and we encourage you to learn and to do it yourself if you would like to. But if not, that's still not an excuse to not invest, because you can still invest in the stock market without actually having to pick the stocks or do the work yourself.
Speaker 5: I think the idea really is on a daily basis, are you challenging yourself?
Speaker 4: Right? Are you? Today?
Speaker 5: I go to sleep and then I'll wake up tomorrow and my better version of myself and all I askts of life, right, like forget finance, just aspects of challenging yourself. And when you start to challenge yourself, the reward comes right slowly, but show you. It's like if I want to lose weight. Sometimes I look in the mirror and it's like, well, I'm not losing weight, and somebody sees you, going, hey man, you losing weight, and it's like I didn't notice, because I see myself every day, so I will never notice the micro changes in myself.
Speaker 4: But in this kind of forum, the ideas that get better every day.
Speaker 5: And the great thing about the stock market, and the great thing about all the things you're speaking about, is that it's tangible.
Speaker 4: We can feel it, we can read it, we can touch it. Right.
Speaker 5: I can go to a Verizon store, I can walk into a Nike store. I can tangim, I can feel it. If I also can put up an article from the Wall Street Journal, or I can donate my money, right, I consider a donation.
Speaker 4: Right, So when I say donate money, you have to pay for the wallsh Journal.
Speaker 5: But I'm donating to my knowledge, right, I'm donating money to my knowledge fund paid for banterers. I'm donating money to mine, I'm donating time to my knowledge. I'm investing in myself to make myself better because the better I am, the more I can do for other people. Right, So part of my journey was that I understood when I got into the game was the better I do, the more I can do for people who don't know, because they're gonna trust me because they figure, well, you work in this field, so I'm gonna trust you the serain way. I go to my dentists and they say, well, you need this, and I always tell them you are professional. I'm gonna do what I'm told, but I also want to learn. Come not trying to just have dental work done for no reason. So I'm gonna ask questions as to why that's happening, and you can now tell me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna learn.
Speaker 5: So the same thing premises holds true for this is any money or time you're donating to investing yourself. So these platforms also cost money. Let's not forget that this stuff isn't free. It's not free to be knowledgeable, and it's not free to just become an expert in something. It takes sweat, equity and time, right, years, months, days, whatever you want to do, and it takes a financial investment. And I'm gonna waste twenty bucks thirty bucks on stuff I don't need, right, No, we could do. We always waste money, so we always find a reason. We can always find the reason why we should buy something. Oh man, them drugs is on sale. You know they there three hundred. I put them for one fifty. You found the reason didn't need them. The difference between the need and the want. Same thing with this. These platforms cost money, well lots you journally costs money. Barrens cost money financial terms for financial times, excuse me, costs money. The economists costs money to subscribe on their yearly basis. This isn't like a chore, and if it is, it's not for you, right because you got to invest in yourself the same way you invest in your clothes and stuff that you might not have in five years. Right, you might not have those pairs of sneakers in five years, but that knowledgement, the article or you got that, you got that for a long time.
Speaker 4: Justally quickly.
Speaker 3: The knowledge on the podcast too, which is free.
Speaker 6: I just want to touch because like you said, like not having the armor is one thing, and investing yourself as far as literature and reading.
Speaker 4: Like in two thousand and seven, Rashad.
Speaker 6: And a good friend about his Jama and my brother Gred we started a company called Money Through invest In and so you know, we were.
Speaker 4: Into business, right. We didn't have no tools. We were just trying to learn on our own. And I subscribed to all these magazines.
Speaker 6: I read BusinessWeek and I got this great article and it was like, you know, things you should look into, So like that was the first thing I did to.
Speaker 4: Look at it. It's like, what are my interests? Right?
Speaker 6: So I saw Apple and this is prior to the iPhone that hadn't come out yet. And I saw this company called Badu, which was like the Chinese version of Google.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, Google's been China this this is gonna be next, and then that's on China Mobile. I'm not great, I'm gonna invest in these all right, boom. So I did it. I was like, the iPhone is going.
Speaker 6: To be huge prior to it being released, and it was great the first six months, and then two thousand and eight market crash and I got scared and I took all money out, but.
Speaker 4: I still watched.
Speaker 6: I'll still watch it for the sideline and I saw like companies go up sevenfold and I'm like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And then they did something call to split. You want to play what the split is? Well, so stock split? Could they either they can do a reverse stock split or they can stock split.
Speaker 5: Right, So if you have one share unless say the shares one hundred dollars and the companies say we're doing a four to one stock split, now you have four shares at twenty five dollars, right, and the reverse dosplat is like, we're going to make those four shares one hundred dollars, right, So you have four twenty five dollars shares. Now you have one share of one hundred dollars. Companies do it for a multitude of reasons. Whether it is to create volume, right because the stock market dealsn't supply and demand. Why is the stock call so much, Whether there's not a lot of volume where there's not a lot of shares that are out there that you can obtain so the price goes up the same way that if like a sneaker comes out and then it gets sold out and it's two hundred dollars at Nike, but then you go on stock X and it's five hundred beans. You're like, yo, but that's the value because there's only so many shoes. Literally knows that, and they're going to raise the price. That's the same thing in the stock market. Sometimes the companies right will buy back shares of their stock to take them off of the market. By buying back the shares of their stock and taking them off the market, it creates, right, it creates more demand for the stock because there's less of supply out there for me to get my hands on. So intrinsically, it will raise the price to the stock, or hopefully raise the price to the stock. Right, and raising the price the stock gives it a different profile. If a stock is trading at one hundred and fifty dollars a share, it has a different profile than the stock that's trading at five dollars a share. Right, we're not even discussing the company. It's to have looks from the inside from the outside in. And so sometimes companies want to go from being Nike to Louis Right, or from Louis to Nike right accessibility in terms of their demographic the customers will say. Some companies might say, hey, we're trading at seven hundred dollars a year, and we want to make our stock more accessible to people who can afford this range, say from one to fifty to two hundred, right, And by doing the stock split or buying back these shares or different ideas they have, they're acting on what they think is best for their company. And again it kind of all ties into the ecosystem and everybody's going to do what's best for what for them and who makes all decisions CEOs, CFOs, coos right, and the perception of the stock on the market.
Speaker 2: My graduates from my school being force back drop bag drop, my drop back drop drop.
Speaker 9: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood Trading. Crypto INALLLVE Significant Risk Crypto trading is offered to do an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC. Robinhood Crypto is licensed to engage in virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Crypto held the robin Hood crypto is not FDSC insured or SIPC protected. Investing involves risk, including laws of principal securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer