Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, it is the Trade Deadline Show. We discuss all the trades as well as the winners and losers from the NBA deadline. What is going on with Golden State and with Steve Kerr? The best potential names from listeners for potential NBA teams expansion teams in Vegas and Nashville. Why Mark Cuban is like most fans when it comes to evaluating players, and like most investors, I would say loaded show.
Speaker 2: So we're saving the dms until Monday.
Speaker 1: Today is the day. Yesterday was the day. Actually at three pm everything was going down. It was I think quieter that most of us wanted it to be what most of us imagined it to be. And I was waiting for the bombs to drop THEO and I always like to find out who's.
Speaker 2: The better Scooper.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody calls it the WOJ bomb, but like Shams wants to do his thing too. So today the real battle on trade deadline day was their super Bowl. Today was their day. It's that and then free agency right and.
Speaker 2: Draft Knight and Draft Knight. I think WOJ dominates.
Speaker 3: Draft Knight, That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love how he's found. Woj has found unique ways to say that this draft, this draft pick was coming right and still because the NBA had told Woj, listen, we need people to listen and watch the NBA Draft. If all they need to do is follow on Twitter, then what are they doing watching us? So he's like, Miami Heat are keeping their eyes on that's just a Julia Portland Trailblazers have been intently focused on Gary Trent Junior. So so here's what it was, right, the Woge versus Sham battle Royale. WOJ broke the Delawn deal, the lawn right. Sham's broke the McGee deal to the Nuggets. Then WOJ breaks Voucevich deal that puts him up to Then WOJ breaks Fournier to the Celtics. Obviously he's a magic in. Plus three, woje Aaron Gordon to Denver. Plus four WOJ Brown Wagner to the Bulls. Plus five wog Beagillica. Do you pronounce it Beagillica. It's be Alitza, be a Leicha, Yeah, be Alicha, Okay cool. That's how I've heard it said to Miami. I don't hear his name A lot be Alicha to Miami plus six. Then Shams comes in with George Head to the Sixers plus two. Woj Norman Powell to the Blazers, then Shams with Rondo.
Speaker 2: So Woje dominated Shams eleven to five.
Speaker 3: He got the big ones too. He didn't just dominate in quantity, dominated in quality as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got the ones that we care about.
Speaker 2: So what deals did you find to be the most interesting?
Speaker 3: Didn't see Aaron Gordon go into Denver, and I kind of hate it as well as I would say pretty much every other Western Conference contender, because the West just seems to never get worse at the deadline. It always gets better. So that was one I didn't see coming. Vouch to the Bulls obviously, big one. I kind of like their core now, although they may never be serious contenders, just to like it. And Evan Fournier thought it would take a little more to get him.
Speaker 1: Evan Fournier is going to be the pick that the Celtics get that they will regret. I think Fournier is not nearly as good as he looks like he is when he plays for the Magic, So that's just the way that it is. I like Vushvich. He can't guard at all, he can't defend whatsoever, but he can get you twenty five mostly all in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter when it doesn't matter and you're down ten. So but that makes the Bulls very fun, makes the Bulls fun. And also you've got another bucket getter with Zach Lavine. They're one of the best teams against the spread in the NBA. I think that this now means you bet against the magic every single game, every single game. Also, I loved Norman Powell to the Blazers.
Speaker 3: Really, I was curious what you thought about that.
Speaker 1: So one, we know that we're not going to be able to probably keep Gary Trent Junior. I like him a lot, But it was all of the tea leaves said, Gary Trent Junior was going to sign elsewhere for more money than we were going to pay him, Because really, are you going to pay a backup shooting guard, combo guard who can't facilitate playmake but is really just a guy that can get mid range shots and shoot deep for eighteen million a year.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna do that.
Speaker 1: So now you've got Norman Powell, who can do a lot of the same things that Gary Trent can do, but you also can defend a little bit better. And I think you can play them at the three, which you can't play Gary Trent Junior at the three. I don't know if they're going to extend them, but I think everyone's just trying to get better for the playoffs. Who does it make better? I think that the Nuggets got, like you said better, I said, like, the problem with the Nuggets is they don't have that third option. If Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokich have to go off for.
Speaker 2: Thirty in order for you to.
Speaker 1: Be in the game, Yeah, that's a big time problem. And you still lose and you go what I think they went three and six during that time or four and six. Now you have a guy that's sort of like what you had in Jeremy Grant, where you've got a guy that can shoot. You got a guy that is big and can defend multiple positions, and someone else over Michael Porter Junior that's going to be able to get some buckets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't have to play Paul millsap twenty five minutes game or whatever he's get. I think he's getting like twenty four minutes a game.
Speaker 1: And he's a liability. Let's be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, law Tech Bulldog. But it's the end of the road for Roll Paul miss Up there.
Speaker 1: There was a time where the Blazers were eyeing Paul Millsap Hard I think for like six years in a Row was like Paul Matt Millsap and trade rumors to the Blazers. So I liked.
Speaker 2: What we got.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe, like sorry, in Row, I couldn't believe how little it took to get Aaron Gordon, like he was that available, Gary Harris, RJ. Hampton in a first round pick. That seems like a fleece to me.
Speaker 1: You know who got fleeced the most out of that, in my opinion?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: I think Boston?
Speaker 1: Because Boston wanted Aaron Gordon bad and the front office in Orlando said, in order to get Aaron Gordon, it's gonna take a Drew Holiday type trade. I would not say that R. J. Hampton and Gary Harrison a first round pick is anything close to the kind of deal that it took to get Drew Holiday to the Bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, even if it's even if it's unprotected because it's still the nugget, Like that's not a good pick, like that was. I guess my biggest takeaway of today is how available a lot of these guys are.
Speaker 1: Vusovich too. They said the same thing about Vusovich. I really think that Orlando was like just telling Boston that to see if they could get someone big, like a Marcus smartin three first round picks or something, and once they couldn't, they were like, you know what, fuck Boston, I don't care well some of the West, some of the bulls, who cares.
Speaker 2: What do you think about Rondo?
Speaker 1: Rondo goes to the Clippers for Sweet Lou Williams with two second round picks and cash.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty pointless trade. I mean, Rondo's bad, he just di is okay. But playoff Rondo exists because regular season Rondo exists and he's bad. I don't think we're just gonna keep singing a resurgence in the playoffs, like like that's really what he lives on, is Like he he plays good in some TV games, and people remember what he used to do for the Celtics. Like, I think it's fairly a menial trade. I mean Lou Williams. I mean everyone made their like Magic City jokes. I guess he could help them a little bit. I mean he's he won't be any worse than Rondo.
Speaker 1: So it was it was funny that somebody said, hey, uh, Lou, I bet you're gonna get traded. This is like about a month ago, and Lou goes, this is my last stop. It's not your last stop. It's not your last stop. Another trade that came in last minute past the deadline, Victor Oladipo to Miami for Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynnok and a twenty twenty two pick swap. I was being told that Myami did not really want Victor Oladipo and that Victor o Ladipo really really wanted to go to Miami. But because I mean his mental part of his game, his mental part of his we'll call it spirit, right is I don't really know how to describe it other than it's not good. Right.
Speaker 3: He doesn't seem to handle like losing well or adversity.
Speaker 1: He's mentioned multiple times about teams giving up on him on national TV during interviews, like, hey, this is my fourth team. Da da da da da. I just want to prove myself like it's unfair and everybody's counted me out. He's basically plays the victim role quite easily, and I get it. He's been injured and he's been bounced around the league, and he was good in college and everybody thought he was going to be really good when he went to Indiana before.
Speaker 2: He got hurt. But boy does he struggle emotionally.
Speaker 1: So that was an interesting trade, and I think the only reason that trade got done was because the biggest trade that did not happen was Kyle Lowry.
Speaker 2: Everyone said Kyle.
Speaker 1: Lowry would either go to the Sixers or to the Miami Heat, or to the Lakers. And Kyle Lowry stays put, why why he's on an expiring Marty?
Speaker 2: What do you think is that play there?
Speaker 3: I mean, it just seems like the package wasn't there, The interest wasn't high enough for guys to give up on for gms to give up on their young players. I mean what was reported was the Lakers didn't want to give up Horton Tucker and Miami didn't want to give up Tyler Harrow. So I mean, I think it just comes down to that they don't see the value in trading for a thirty five year old point guard in Kyle Lowry and giving up their young guys to do it.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, Kyle Lowry wherever he goes, wants to be extended. He said. Anywhere I get traded to, I expect is going to give me at least a two year deal twenty five million dollars per year. So now you've got to pay Kyle Lowry fifty million dollars and you give up Tyler Hero in the process. I'm sorry, I don't know if that gets me to contention enough for me to make that mo.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just feel like the twenty twenty three version of Kyle Lowry is certainly going to be worth less than twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Heat looking to also be the front runner for LaMarcus Aldridge, who is being bought out by the San Antonio Spurs.
Speaker 2: Does that move the needle.
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 2: A little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The Heat seemed to have moved the needle a little bit, right. They got LaMarcus Aldridge, they got not Kyle Lowry but Victor Oladipo, and they got one other person a week ago who was that It was Arisa. They got Trevor Trevor Ariza. I think the reason that people are not saying anything about Trevor reason and we forgot about it, is because Trevor Arisa has been going through a custody battle for the last like eighteen months, and I don't think he's been playing basketball, So I don't know if he will play basketball, but he's making twelve million dollars now.
Speaker 3: I will always be thankful for Trevor Ariza because he was such a bitch on the Suns that we had to trade him and we got Kelly Ubray and we used Kelly Ubray to get Chris Paul. So thank you Trevor Resa.
Speaker 2: Thank you Trevor Ariza.
Speaker 1: So a Resa did play the other night. So in my book, the winners of this are Nuggets, Bulls, and Blazers, and also Orlando.
Speaker 2: Orlando gets Gary Harris, RJ.
Speaker 1: Hampton, Wendell Carter Junior, and two first rounders from Chicago, one first rounder from Denver, and two second rounders from Boston. You're a trash team. You need to rebuild. These guys don't want to re sign with you. They're miserable. So not a bad day, I think losers in my opinion, Celtics big time losers, Rockets, oh my god, Oh my god, and Sixers, and I think, probably to a degree, Lakers and Clippers. But really, Rockets and Celtics are my biggest losers.
Speaker 3: What do you think I would say that. I would also maybe throw Phoenix in there. And I may not have been saying that if we hadn't lost Orlando last night. But it just seems like this team was at least a piece away. And I mean, I'm sure they were in the mix trying to get moves done, but they.
Speaker 1: Just could you have wanted though that you didn't get.
Speaker 3: I was really into the idea of Larry Nance. He may not have been available, but that was a name that was floated out there. John Collins would have been cool. I know that's sort of a pipe dream, But just for us to stand pat the first trade deadline where okay, we have a chance to make a serious run feels a little weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know that anyone was available that you would have wanted.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that probably is. It just seems a little weird.
Speaker 1: Then notable people who have not moved. I thought it was very interesting that Lonzo Ball is staying put in New Orleans. New Orleans is not.
Speaker 2: Going to resign him.
Speaker 3: Doesn't seem that way.
Speaker 2: They will not be able to afford him.
Speaker 1: They tried to offer Lonzo Ball an extension over the summer that Lonzo Ball, in my opinion, sort of stupidly declined. I think it was fifty six million over four years. I think fourteen million a year. I don't know that Lonzo Ball's market value is that much higher than that.
Speaker 3: I think someone's going to overpay.
Speaker 1: You think so, either I can't shooting this well, yeah, See, here's the question.
Speaker 2: Do you think that gms know what they're doing?
Speaker 3: No? I mean no, neither do I I can I can never pick it out.
Speaker 1: No, because Lonzo Ball is shooting the way that Lonzo Ball is shooting, because he's being set up in that way. Then if you use him in another way that he's not being used in right now, then the shooting numbers are going to go down. So who is going to be facilitating for Lonzo and playmaking for Lonzo Ball in the Knicks? Is that? Is that going to be a manual quickly? Is that going to be Derek Rose?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, twenty million a year to Lonzo Ball to probably be a thirty four percent three point shooter instead of a forty percent free throw shooter. And then you're going to put the ball in Lonzo Ball's hands, who turns the ball over quite a bit, quite a bit. I like his playmaking, but as like a secondary playmaker.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, before we keep going, I have another loser. Yes, Austin Rivers just getting thrown in that deal going to OKC from New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that was like kind of snuck under the surface. Yeah, it was a three team deal.
Speaker 3: What would it was the George Hill Sixers, So it was Sixers thunder Nicks. I think Terrence Ferguson got sent to the Knicks and then Rivers to Oka See as part of that deal. And it's just, yeah, that was one that just got thrown in, and I feel a little bad for.
Speaker 1: Him, you know. But what I would say is that two things. One shout out to Austin Rivers just had a baby. Now he and his baby's mom or his fiance girlfriend. Now they have to move to Oka See where it's a quieter, where it's safer and has less homeless people laying out on the street instead of near Penn Station in Madison Square Gardens. So and I think also Austin Rivers was miserable playing for Tom Thibodeau. As soon as they got Derrick Rose, Austin Rivers was nowhere. Yeah, Tom Thibodeau was like, he's out of the rotation all together. And I was listening to something like The Knicks Wall, the blog site that talks about the Knicks a lot, and they've basically said that Austin Rivers has disappeared completely off the face of the earth since the Knicks got Derrick Rose. So his change of scenery was necessary. Otherwise he was gonna just become I think, more and more disgruntle.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're right. It was like kind of a weird scenario.
Speaker 1: Other big names that did not get moved that I thought might get moved, Wayne Ellington in Detroit, his name was circulating, Kelly Ubray.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on that with that.
Speaker 1: We can tell we're gonna talk about the Warriors later, but what are they doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, there was a major push towards the end of the deadline. That's when you started hearing a lot of the Ubray stuff. I mean, I think teams are just scared of him because he's been he's played on three different teams, and he's been three different players on each of those teams. So he's kind of a hard player to trade for it because you have no idea where you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Go en amazing first of all, uh huh, could be three different type of people. That means you've got some stuff in your bag where you can change depending on what the team wants from you. Or you're so inconsistent or unpredictable that we don't even know what we're buying. And you're on an expiring so Oubra, I think it might get underpaid next year. He's looking for a big contract. He's gonna fall off of a cliff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Spencer Dinwittie did not get traded, which I was surprised about. I know, coming off of an ACL with the player option.
Speaker 2: Is it a player option or.
Speaker 1: There's an option on that Lori Markinen didn't get traded, and I know that they want to trade him because now they have Lusevich and it's just just an awkward combo on the roster. So he'll probably get moved what. He's got a couple of years left on his contract, so he'll probably be moved in the off season. John Collins sticking put heard Trey Young's name a little bit in trade talks, in trade talks, which was very surprising. So I don't know if that's smoke, if that's fire or what, but I heard that bubbling around in terms of what the Boston Celtics wanted. They I think Boston Celtics wanted Trey Young and maybe Cam Reddish uh for Jalen Brown.
Speaker 3: I would hate that for Boston.
Speaker 1: Boston's in such a bad such a bad spot. Bogdan Bogdanovich, another Atlanta Hawk, did not get moved, Ricky Rubio did not get moved, and Kristaps Porzingis did not get moved. So yeah. A few days ago, Mark Cuban was reported to not be interested in trading Kristaps Porzingis again, which I just don't understand it all. I don't understand it because you wanted to move him. That was what the news was from the beginning of the season.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, yeah, Kristaps needs to go blah blah blah, we're gonna get rid of And then Kristaps starts to play well, he starts to up his game, and at that point Mark Cuban says, no, now we're content to keep him. But unfortunately, that's just not the best way to run a team. You don't start talking about selling or trading a player when they're playing the worst in their career and then decide to keep them when they're playing the best. That's just not how proper investment works, right. This is why investors consistently lose money because they think that when the stock is at all time highs, that's going to continue to climb up.
Speaker 2: It's going to continue to get more expensive. That's just not facts.
Speaker 1: That's just not true. Christaps is not going to get better. If you were going to trade Christaps now, it would be the time to trade Christaps, not two and a half months ago when he was trash and broken. So you have the whole buy low, sell high philosophy and investing is completely lost on NBA owners and NBA gms. In my opinion, it's just insane. This is why investors lose money. Irrational behavior and recency bias keeping you from doing the thing that you should be doing. Irrational pessimism, and irrational confidence. There's a whole term called the national exuberance about investors thinking that stocks are going to do well when they are at all time highs because we are greedy and fearful all at the same time. And that is Mark Cuban in a nutshell. Take that from a former broker, which I am. Mark Cuban is a fucking idiot when it comes to trade. Sorry, that's all we have for the trades. Is there anything that I missed?
Speaker 3: Nothing really of note. I just want to say markis christ the Spurs is hilarious. I can't think of a player in the league that would gel worse with Greg Popov. It's just so. I guess he's at the stage where he's just like, fuck it, I don't care who you trade for.
Speaker 1: This leads me to believe that this might.
Speaker 2: Be one of the last Greg Popovic years.
Speaker 1: I think so, which is sad because this is Michael Jordan getting rim checked right. This is Wizard's Michael Jordan. This is not the top of the mountain, Greg Popovich sailling out into the sunset. This could be a disastrous end. Also, no DeMar DeRozan. Yeah that was interesting. It wasn't even really any whispers today, no whispers, so he'll probably leave for nothing. Fictitious teams, fictitious names. Last episode, we answered a DM and somebody asked me what my two expansion teams would be in the NBA, which what cities I would want them to go to? And I said, besides Seattle, I think Vegas and Nashville are the two best possible situations for an NBA franchise. And then that led me and Marty to get into a back and forth banter about what those team names might be. So, after some great thought, I think on Monday, because at a certain point you can't really plan for a show when you're just basically waiting for the trade deadline to drop it.
Speaker 2: So all I did on one.
Speaker 1: Day, like for an entire day, was think up Las Vegas and Nashville team names. I think, I think I texted you too, Mike, Marty do some thinking. We're gonna cover this. So the rules for naming sports teams are funny, and I was looking at all the different teams NHL, even like G League, Arena Football, and team really has it bad because all the great names are stolen taken from me. All the real predators like the bears, the tigers, the lions, oh my, like all of those have been stolen.
Speaker 2: Those have been taken.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that you can do, so you have to get even lower on the like the food chain in the in the animal kingdom. You just have to go lower and lower and lower, where all you have basically are like arachnids and like fish and like small birds. So the kraken, yeah, or fictitious natural disasters like I was looking up what the what the windstorm from the Alchemist was, like the desert storm for a Las Vegas name, Like I was literally looking up like what a haboob is, which is a desert storm in Arabic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, they get those in Arizona. Yeah, I was there for haboo.
Speaker 1: Here it's crazy. Or a zephyr, like you're just literally this is where I was. I was deep into like googling actual disaster names, googling bird names, and it's like, can't use falcons shit, Like, can't use this. The end up having these scrappy ass names. So what are your names that you have? Okay, for for Vegas, we'll do Vegas first. Okay, So Vegas I thought was way easier than Nashville. I threw out the Las Vegas luck in the last episode.
Speaker 3: I still like that and I think the city of Vegas would like that as part of marketing. I like the Spades. Oh you do that because a lot of people thought it Aces. That's a WNBA team name. Their branding is Sick.
Speaker 1: Sick and Spades is almost like male Ace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Spades, I think might be another good question coming in on that a little too hard, so maybe not. I like the Oasis Oh okay, yeah, I tried to not. I tried to have one that was singular uh, and then I got a little lazy and I threw out diamonds.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think you can use diamonds because of the diamondbacks, That's true.
Speaker 3: Don't think you can use that.
Speaker 1: So I had a few, so okay. I got into some gambling names, so I got the jokers, the destinies. I also had the luck, the strip.
Speaker 2: What else did I have?
Speaker 1: The cash?
Speaker 2: The Las Vegas cash cash would be cool, the.
Speaker 1: Las Vegas high Rollers, the Las Vegas gin after the juniper berries that are in Vegas, and like the alcohol there.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else did I have?
Speaker 3: The Las Vegas Las Vegas gin. They would sell so much mercher, so much merch.
Speaker 1: Right, the Las Vegas paotes and you can bring Phil Jackson back, which I thought was great. The pumas have not been used. Here are some bad ones. Uh. The one that I really liked that could never be used is the Las Vegas Fossils.
Speaker 3: The fossils, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like the stone. It would just be a footprint in the stone. It would literally be I don't even know how you would showcase that to the world, Like how you could make it a mascot. It would just be like a like a Rosetta stone with like a dinosaur. Paul.
Speaker 3: There's gotta be some team named the some minor league baseball team named the Fossils.
Speaker 1: There's got to be also. I wanted the maybe the Las Vegas tobacco, but I don't think you could have smokable plants. I wanted the demons.
Speaker 2: I don't think you could do that.
Speaker 1: The skunk also bad name that got scratched, The Las Vegas Skunk, the Las Vegas Lucifers, I also don't think you could use.
Speaker 3: I like the devil themed ones. It just sounds like you're trying so hard to be like edgy and you're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, your that's big facts. Yeah, the oblos, the beasts, yeah uh. And then here are some submissions from readers, and they did not miss Vegas Blackjacks, Vegas Stars, Vegas Gamble, Las Vegas Diamonds. Like you said, Las Vegas Flush. I like the Flush, that is very it would just be like cards. Uh, the Las Vegas Chips, it's okay. The Las Vegas Dealers, the Vultures, the show girls.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah no. And the Legion, which I really like.
Speaker 3: Legion's cool.
Speaker 1: The pit bosses too specific, very specific. The shots would that just be alpha.
Speaker 3: The NBA is trying to get away from the whole gun thing, like we saw that in Washington.
Speaker 1: Somebody said shooters and I was like, nah, that's not funny. The Vegas mob, No, the Vegas.
Speaker 2: Nip slips, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And the Vegas Regrets, which I also kind of think is dope. You also have to think to yourself, like you have to be like at six seven suiting up for the Vegas Legion, Like it has to make sense that way.
Speaker 3: Of those, I like Flush and Legion the best, so do I.
Speaker 1: I also liked the Stars Dallas Stars though Dallas Oh yeah, I can't use that. Black Tacks were cool. Okay, So who do you have for Nashville?
Speaker 3: Like I said, these were a little hard, I mean I thought of the Nashville Hot Chickens. I shortened that to the Nashville Hots. Oh, okay, I don't hate. I think that's kind of cool. Got Nashville Tunes Nashville Records and a playoff the Hots and on the music theme as well. I got the Nashville Hits Nashville Hits.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: Here's what I had. I started out with some animals. I think that mustangs would be very cool, like the Tennessee Mustangs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not used in pro.
Speaker 2: Sports and has not been used yet.
Speaker 3: That's my high school nackname.
Speaker 1: The mocking Oh really, Nashville Mockingbirds. Didn't love that as much. The hell Benders, which are a sick if you google that, google hell Benders and like a cartoon and you think to yourself, yes, this is an arena football team or like a Tria a baseball team.
Speaker 2: But sick for a basketball like look at that.
Speaker 1: If you can have the Pelicans, then you can have the hell Benders, the Tennessee Coppers for copperheads, the Nashville Notes, the Nashville Banjos, the Nashville Outlaws or Tennessee Outlaws. The Mandolin. The Mandolin.
Speaker 3: You know, we were gular.
Speaker 1: We're getting into some strange ass like places. The Leopards.
Speaker 3: I like Outlaws. And fenders.
Speaker 2: I like the.
Speaker 3: Fenders for the guitar fenders.
Speaker 1: The Printers, the Tennessee Printers for Printer's Alley was a big publishing town.
Speaker 2: The Smokies from the for the mountains.
Speaker 3: The name is it, yeah, yeah, the Tennessee Smokies. I think it's the Cubs double a team.
Speaker 2: Oh well, okay, so that's a good name. I chose a good name.
Speaker 1: The buckles, the buckle of the Bible belt is where that comes from. Probably not gonna work. The Tennessee Whiskeyes. I know we're getting away from alcohol themes. So I also have some rejected names. The Nashville Treads or the Tennessee Treads for tires. Bridgestone can't use the Nashville Dixie. That's a no go. Can't use Dixie again. Racism. Can't use Honky Tonks or tonks due to Honky can't use nectar.
Speaker 2: I had the Tennessee Nectar.
Speaker 1: To sexual, to sexual very sexual, and then in terms of best reader submissions, we had the Nashville Nightmares, the Tennessee Dollies, the Nashville.
Speaker 3: Cords, Cords good.
Speaker 1: I like the Chords, the Tennessee Tempo, the Nashville Moonshiners, and the Nashville Hot so.
Speaker 3: Oh hot singular hot.
Speaker 1: Single didn't and it could just be what like.
Speaker 3: A hot sauce bottle, like hots better? I think I like hots gots?
Speaker 1: Or what about flames, the Nashville.
Speaker 3: Flame, Calgary Flames.
Speaker 2: Oh yep.
Speaker 1: See, there's just too many teams in too many leagues taking all the good ones. So expansion teams have it tough. Send us your more submissions for Seattle names. If we're not gonna use SuperSonics, goodness, gracious, You've got one generation. We'll call it of a dynasty, and we'll do another generation of whatever the fuck The Warriors are now. I don't know are they rebuilding? Are they sort of like in a pause? It feels like the pause, do you know what I'm saying? Like it's not quite rebuilding. It's definitely not in that dynastic mode. No, they're not tanking. But they're not not tanking.
Speaker 3: They're like in the middle. They're like Jimmy World.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're like this Ja Kolesong. He's just called the middle. That's why I chose it. There may be no team more confusing to me than the Warriors. Like one day, I'm like, oh, yeah, this team could be dangerous in the playoffs. Steph's ball in oohbrace finally putting things together. Draymond is the best defender ever in life. We'll get to that another day. Best defender to ever walked the face of this earth, just like he.
Speaker 3: Said he tweeted today. Fun fact, he tweeted it day Rondo to the Clippers best trade of the day. So what just a best put you in a where his basketball IQ is these days?
Speaker 2: I think Draymond Green has a great basketball IQ.
Speaker 1: But I just think he's maybe so smart that we think he's done.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't, dude. And then like other times, I'm like, are the Warriors tanking?
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what he's even going on. And it's like the more you dig into it, kind of like Boston, how the more you put it all together in one gumbo pop, you're like, oh my god, this is an iceberg. There is more under the surface than we even understand. Let's just look at the lineup changes, which have partly been dictated by COVID and injuries, but also because Steve Kerr is battling apparently between doing what he wants to do right now rotations and lineups, and what he wants them to do moving forward forward for the future. Right he's basically fighting with the organization about what direction they should be going, not only for tomorrow but also for the long term, which is not a good sign when you're in the middle of a beef or a battle with the GM and the owner of your organization. Big time issues all seemingly centered around James Wiseman and James Wiseman's role and the role.
Speaker 2: Of a big man on a team like the Warriors.
Speaker 1: If Kerr had it his way, this is what we've known from other press conferences that he's had on record. If Kerr had it his way, they'd be tanking. They would not win many games this year. Steph Curry would be playing like thirty minutes a game, and they'd probably slip down the standings into No. Man's Land get a top pick and probably get someone like Caid Cunningham. They have that wouldn't be terrible.
Speaker 3: I like Kid, I like Kid two.
Speaker 1: They also have the Timberwolves first round pick for this year if I think it's top three protected. So if the Timberwolves get number four, which they probably will or worse, the Warriors have that pick as well. Steve Kerr is like, this is a pandemic year. This is a bullshit year. Klay Thompson has been now gone stolen from us for two years.
Speaker 2: We can't do anything.
Speaker 1: We have Oubra and we have Wiggins just jacking up and making shots like with five minutes left to go in the fourth quarter, and everyone thinks he's bawling and.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna win.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna Basically, Steve Kerr's so spoiled and used to contending that He's like, well, if we're not gonna contend, then fuck it, let's just thank let's.
Speaker 2: Just hang it up.
Speaker 3: He's like the Eric Bledsoe of coaches. Correct correct.
Speaker 1: Curry, though, is not feeling that there is no player, especially a marquee player, walking the face of the earth that you tell them that they can't contend and they say, yeah, you know what, You're right, We can't contend. Steph Crery is like, who are you to say? Who knows? Like injuries, a couple of things happen here and there, I put up seventy. You just never know. And so that's the tension, that's the strife. No one is frustrated. The media is frustrated, Curry's frustrated. Apparently, management and ownership are frustrated. No one seems to be happy except for Steve Kerr. Steve Kurr just seems to be like, this is all part of my master plan. You just all need to hang around and watch and see. And that's strange because everyone thinks about Kerr with like I think everyone associates Kerr with the death lineup, him changing the league into this small ball system, which was Draymond, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Iggy Yep. That though, was only what from what I hear from other people who have been around the Warriors organization, something that Steve Kerr only likes to go in doses on just to keep other teams on their toes so that they have to have roster flexibility as well. He does not like to go small. If he had it his way, he would not go small. Forget that death lineup and that small ball from the championship years. So Wiseman to Steve Kerr is his wet dream. He's like, oh my god, Wiseman is exactly why and exactly what we need to move forward into the future as soon as we get Klay Thompson. I don't know if I believe that, but Steve Kurr certainly does. And the question, though, to me at first glance, was why, what could it be and why could Steve Kirby so rooted in that philosophy that a big man is so necessary that he will hang on and play Alex Magologic over Eric Paschal because he needs a big man. And I believe that the reason why is because he played for Popovich, was mentored by Popovich on the Spurs, and has Papovich DNA running through his veins, you know, as a guy who has a fan base in the West Coast that plays against the Spurs a lot like what Pop's mentality is, Right, you have that big man as the anchor. Yeah, then you have consistently thinking about the future and a lineage and a we'll call it a transition plan for when your marquee stars go down right whenever they leave, a legacy succession plan.
Speaker 2: That's Wiseman and.
Speaker 1: Number three, like you stick to that plan and never deviate from that plan. High character guy like Wiseman anchoring your offense and defense, making sure that you have someone for when Stephan Clay leaves, and like you just stick to that trust that process. And you know, Pop is King Tankris and he is stubborn. He's so stuck in that move that that's why they just fucking suck.
Speaker 3: Right now, we are talking about the guy who ended the seven seconds or less era to trade for Shaquille O'Neil in two thousand and seven, actually it was two thousand and eight at the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's that's the key. So Steve Kerr is trying to model his coaching career after Greg Popovich, and the organization, of course Sensus towenty twenty one and not nineteen ninety one, is not super.
Speaker 2: Happy about it.
Speaker 1: So the latest news is that there's tension going on internally over what the team is doing and where Wiseman fits in, where whether Kerr's philosophy makes sense for twenty twenty one. Kerr says he prefers for Wiseman to learn on the fly and make mistakes, no matter what that means for their playoff hopes. He believes that James Wiseman is the future, and the rest of the organization thinks we don't have time for that right now.
Speaker 2: We need to win right now.
Speaker 1: So that's tough and not something that I think is going.
Speaker 2: To be solvable right now.
Speaker 1: I think this is something that is going to showcase why the Warriors are in.
Speaker 2: That middle zone.
Speaker 1: They're not quite tanking and they're not quite winning now, and I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen moving forward. And apparently Kerr is now putting Wiseman permanently in the starting lineup permanently. So I like Steve Kerr, but maybe he just doesn't always know what he's doing. You said to yourself that one of your greatest regrets, Marty, is that Steve Kerr was a Phoenix son as a GM, and he was a terrible GM, but you thought maybe he was a prolific coach.
Speaker 3: Well, not really regret, It was just annoying that he was a pretty good player, like for his role. He until recently was thought of as a very good NBA head coach and he was our general manager and he was just complete garbage at it. So before this started coming out about his coaching ability, it was like, oh, the one bad thing he was at it was with Phoenix.
Speaker 1: But now yeah, but think about this, though, Steve Kerr was probably instrumental in drafting Wiseman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it appears that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I know that most people would say, what do you need LaMelo Ball for what? You already have a plethora of guards.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: If LaMelo Ball's out while Clay is down, you can trade him. You can then ship him out for more assets. I think you could get more for LaMelo I you traded him prior to the injury.
Speaker 2: Than you can for Wiseman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely right, So you're basically having a one year rookie rental or you could have traded that pick.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So Steve Kerr is putting Wiseman and Curry on the floor together, and that experiment is fucking terrible. When the two are on the floor, the Warriors have an offensive rating of one hundred and two point nine, and the number jumps to one hundred and seventeen when Curry's on the floor with anyone else any other lineup, but with Wiseman it jumps from one oh two to one seventeen. So I think the organization needs to figure out what they're doing, because you kind of have to have Curry and Wiseman on the floor at the same time if they're both healthy, right, you can't have Wiseman starting in Curry not starting. No, if Wiseman's permanently a part of the starting lineup and Curry is two and they're seventeen points worse off offensively, rut row, rut row. So to me, this is going to be a constant issue to monitor for the future. This is really no news except for, hey, the Warriors are more in disarray than you think. Curry and Clay want one thing, Kerr wants another thing. And if you're Bob Myers, and then you have to decide between what your two franchise stars want versus what Steve Kerr wants.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you think he does?
Speaker 3: That's pretty easy. You're gonna back with your all stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so either to me, either Wiseman gets shipped out early. They're not gonna let them cook in the oven, or they're going to be in no man's land. So it's one thing to build this complex triangle around. Like you said, it's easy to coach all stars. It's easy for Steve curR to be a very very good coach when he has Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, Draymond Green. Very very easy to build something complex for all of those brilliant minds to be able to figure out and out scheme your opponents. It's difficult when you have a guy like James Wiseman who very clearly doesn't know how to play basketball.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just big facts.
Speaker 1: So are the Warriors a playoff team with a puncher's chance or are they just in a testing ground for or an incubator like Jordan Poole or for James Wiseman for the return of Clay I don't know. The answer is probably going to be the key though to how long the Warriors continue to be patient with Steve Kerr, who is widely considered the most stubborn coach in the NBA. That's all the time that we have for this league. Podcast, our Trade Deadline Show. Please subscribe, Please rate, please review. On Apple podcasts and on Spotify. Both platforms are equally important. People are on Apple Podcasts a lot, but please also download and subscribe to Spotify or follow makes a huge difference. We also have This League hoodies on sale in the barstool score a white, black and purple. Don't forget to follow us at This League and at Trista Underscore Crik on TikTok ig, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. Thank you for listening and we will be back.