Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: And so I tell people all the time, do you want a million followers or do you want a million dollars a million follow I know people with five, ten, fifteen million followers broke can't even pay their bills, but fifty thousand people paying you two dollars a month is one hundred grand a month, one point two million dollars a year. I know y'all heard about bad Baby, catch me outside. She made fifty five million dollars off OnlyFans, right, I said, she made fifty five million dollars off one hundred and sixty pieces of content. The next thing I did is I went to her Instagram page and there was no content on the page.
Speaker 3: It was like six posts. But I was like, see.
Speaker 2: I was like, she hit all her content because she knows she makes Instagram. Instagram doesn't make her. She's like, I have sixteen million followers. This serves me no purpose at all. So she archived all her content and she put a link tree and said you can stream my song, watch my music video, and come to my only fans. Because what is this sixteen million people doing for me. It's doing nothing. It's just a vanity number. It means absolutely no. What is good as having sixteen million follows so you can't use them?
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being forced back drop drop drop back drop.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, welcome back, e y l South.
Speaker 6: This is gonna be a legendary episode, something that the public has asked for and something that we've been in communication for a long time.
Speaker 5: A lot of people they they lack patients. They're like, why don't you get fan based on I'm like, what we keep talking about. It's down. We are for the culture. Everything just has to happen in the right time.
Speaker 6: But you did do our guys ask cash is shows inside the whole, shout inside the vote.
Speaker 5: So Isaac Hayes the third.
Speaker 6: Legendary situation fandis this is something that if you're not familiar with it, we're gonna I'm gonna let you explain it because I don't want to do it any disservice. But it's a social media app that's designed for monetization.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, absolutely, And.
Speaker 6: It works similar to like a lot of the other social media apps where you can like interact with your photo, video stories, live live short form audio chat, audio chat. So it's like a combination of a lot of different social media.
Speaker 2: Apps, every media vertical you can think of subscription service in one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna have no conversation.
Speaker 6: We're gonna talk about the process, your thought process that even developing the app, of course, raising money for the app, marketing the app, the business model where do you see it going?
Speaker 2: You know, the whole the whole gambit. But first and fall, thank you for joining us, appreciate it, Thank you guys for having me. This is like my favorite interview before it starts, my favorite before it's like everybody like, but I told people I was coming in there, like I want to come. I love those guys, you understand, like I watched earlierly, so this is the one showed that everybody I know watch it.
Speaker 7: So they got to make sure that they watched this one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the Holy g of financial absolutely.
Speaker 5: So all right, So where does it start?
Speaker 6: Obviously, if you didn't catch it by his name, his dad is Isaac Hayes, legendary vocalists and performer. So where did this start with you? You never wanted to go into music and followed your dad's footsteps. What made you wanted to be an entrepreneur in text based?
Speaker 2: So I was a producer, like I started producing in ninety nine, and then I decided that I wanted to license my music, and so I started licensing my music for television and film and did that for like ten or fifteen years. And after my dad passed, somebody my family wanted someone to run the estate, and so my family named me the manager of his estate.
Speaker 3: So I had been managing his estate.
Speaker 2: But while simultaneously, you know, like I said, A simultaneously licensing my music for TV and film. The idea to develop an app came out of left field, came out. It came from It came from my connection to Memphis, Tennessee. So I was born in Memphis, left Memphis at an early age and moved to Atlanta. But just me being on social media all the time, this young kid went viral for dancing in a Spider Man costume and a game stopping. He was from Memphis, and I just sent him a text message like a DM said congrats young Memphis and he immediately hit me back, was like, are you a manager? And I was like, well, I manage my dad to stay. He goes, I need a manager. I really need a manager. And this is back and forth of bus Well year was this twenty eighteen? It was Instagram. Yeah, sent him an Instagram DM. I'm saving Instagram. I'm saving the DM. So when this is the largest tech company in the world, I just people don't know that this is the moment that I came up with the idea.
Speaker 3: So it was March twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I left that conversation like, Yo, this kid is like he don't know how to.
Speaker 3: Make no money and he doesn't own Spider Man.
Speaker 2: And whenever Marvel and Disney want to shut down him monetizing their property, they can.
Speaker 3: But people need to learn. People need to be able.
Speaker 2: To subscribe to him like you subscribe to like Netflix, and learn how to dance like him. If he wants to teach people to dances, he does, and charge people for those dances.
Speaker 3: And so that's when I was like, yo, we need that.
Speaker 2: And it was like and then only Fans was out at the same time, and I remember only fans, Yeah, legendary, and so I remember seeing I remember saying like, yo, when the strippers find out about this one?
Speaker 5: Oh so you you was on it before it became what it became.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because because I because one of the things that I did, the first things I did when I thought of the name fan base, I trademarked it.
Speaker 3: So I hadn't built anything.
Speaker 2: I trademarked the name fan base in the in the form of an application that's downloaded with software for subscription based whatever.
Speaker 8: Very important Yeah, the details on how you trademarkets very important.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you got to get the class and the territory and I did all that so because I don't ever want to take an idea to fruition and then not be able to fully execute it because a lot of people, you know, rappers have a name, can't use a name, right, somebody have a product, can't use the product. So I just know that from music like trademarket first and so then after trademarking the name, I just went ahead and like I said, was figuring out like only Fans, like all the other platforms out here that kind of did it. I was aware of Patreon. Patreon only Fans were the only two that I heard of. A matter of fact, Only Fans was called fans only. So I was like, okay, cool, and then I just knew that. But I said, we got to build something that's just straightforward for the community of people that are going to be able to monetize the content in the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So, I mean creating a tough company obviously takes capital, and he did something very brilliant. Never signed a publishing deal when you were producing, right, and so you were able to license. The content that you were making was born in jail. So is that the basis or the foundation of where you got capital to create it?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, And so being a pre do so I never did a public deal because my dad had terrible relationships with publishers. So I was able to go to my pro which are like being my ass cap, the performing rights people that collect your money and ask for a loan. And I asked for a loan of like one hundred thousand, and I got another one hundred thousand. I just I could pull from it whenever I wanted to. And that's the thing mailbox money is like, you know, I say, you got to make money while you sleep.
Speaker 3: So that was a cool thing about me.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm watching Real Housewives and married to medicine and loving hip hop and my beats and playing NBAT be the All Star Game, Like I would hear my music all the time, and I just go to the mailbox and be a check for you know, twenty thousand whatever, fifty thousand, you know, every quarter. So I'm like, okay, cool. So when I came up with the idea, I was like, well, let me just pull from this. I'm you know, when I started managing my dad's the state, I said, just take care of my expenses. I don't want to take no salary. So I just had capital to be able to build that.
Speaker 5: So talk about the loan. How did that work?
Speaker 6: So you took a loan from the record companies and then they recouped.
Speaker 2: That from my pr Yeah, they recoup it from from what's paid so as ay.
Speaker 3: So it's it's not like a year.
Speaker 2: You probably get paid like a year after, like nine months after something airs. So whenever your song is played on the radio or it is on a television show or a movie, about nine months after it airs is when you actually get the money for it.
Speaker 5: That's like it's out the ghost face. He said. Waiting on these royalties take too long. It's like waiting on babies.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, so that's when you So when you when your joint hit, you know, you got nine months before you get the check. So that's a long it's a long gap. So yeah, I was able to just you know, take in advance.
Speaker 5: And then they charge like a percentage.
Speaker 2: Of no, because it's not it's not a publishing deal. It's just the money I was gonna get paid anyway. It's just they just keep collecting it till it comes back. So you spoke about your dad's a state. That's I mean that's pretty expensive catalog, Yes, especially in music. I know he did voiceovers even in.
Speaker 8: South Park, right, it's so so like, I mean, you're into music at the time, but managing the state is a totally different thing.
Speaker 7: So where did you like figure out the skills to manage that.
Speaker 2: So most of it, most of managing the state revolves or my dad to say, will revolve around publishing and masters and so I've been doing that. So it's like you want to license his name it was in likeness or a song or anything like that. That's that's very, very simple. So it wasn't a hard thing to do. The only thing the only hard thing to do is probably is expand the brand, and you need relationships to do that. But I also have and my family has hated me for this for a long time because I told him it's going to take a long time for us to be in position because as a songwriter, you know, my dad's copyrights have been owned by other people, just for the for the way that publishing deals were done in his era. So when you wrote a song in my dad's era, the publisher would actually have ownership of the copyright for fifty six years. So then so even my dad never got to see his copyrights back returning his lifetime. So the songs that he wrote in nineteen sixty three just started coming back a couple of years ago. And so one of the biggest songs that he ever wrote before even became an artist, as a song by Sam and Day call hold On I'm Coming. So I know people hear that dum.
Speaker 7: Du hold I'm coming.
Speaker 2: So he wrote that song. So we wrote, yeah, him and David Porter. So we just got that song back like last month. And even since we did that, like it's already like licenses coming in. But think about like how many how much money has been made off that record, and then think of all this sampling and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So again, yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Feel like once I heard that, you made me think of Malcolm Nuts in the movie, like when he's at the whole.
Speaker 3: That's the song that's playing everything. And listen, there was crazy.
Speaker 2: There were songs they used, they used hold on them And this is the crazy thing because the publishers are trying to get us to do new deals, and I'm like the numbers that they were sending us. Was like, na, man, there's there's no way you can offer us this. If I say they offered us like two million, right, I was liked. I just heard this song on an oil cookie commercial for Christmas.
Speaker 3: They played it.
Speaker 2: When the Lakers won the championship, they played it. They had a Toyota truck commercial. It's a bunch of different, you know, different commercials that I hear in it. That's publishing, so it doesn't matter who does the song. So I was like, Nah, y'all not feeling Offersta and we have. We haven't even gotten to his artist catalog where even in his songwriting catalog, everybody is sampled. My dad, like I always say, James Brown is the most sampled artists of all time, right, but Isaac Hayes, there's not a Every iconic rapper has an Isaac's song that you know that's an Isaaca sample. And I'd be like, so Warning by Biggie is Isaac's Can I Live by Jay z As, Isaac Kay's Creamed by Wu Tang Clan is Isaaca's Me Against the World by Tupac is Isaacay's Shimmy Shimmy y'ah. A bout old dirty Bastard is Isaac's explosive by Doctor Dre is Isaac's. So it's like you can't think of one, Like there's not any of the icons, right, you know what I'm saying classic, Let's.
Speaker 9: Just right the sample or the lyric, the sample, the musical. So he produced the record, He wrote and produced. He wrote, Yeah, the writer and producer and artist.
Speaker 2: So he was a songwriter first and then he became an artist because Otis Redding died and then Sam and Dave got they got taken back. They were on loan from Atlantic and it was a bad deal with Stacks, so they had no artists, so they had to rebuild their catalog and they asked everybody to do an album. They had like twenty nine. They had twenty eight artists and they needed twenty nine. It's called the Soul Explosion, and they said we need you to do an album and he was like, okay, but y'all did an album on we before and it was some bullshit. So if I do an album this time, you got to let me do it the way I want to do it.
Speaker 3: And that album was Hot Buttered Soul.
Speaker 2: So that's the album where you know he did walk on By and it's like the first time you ever heard like soul artists and orchestra's merge or organs and bass and all that stuff together with orchestras and stuff.
Speaker 3: So like that.
Speaker 2: He even had to go to Detroit to record the strings because there were no people that can play strings in Memphis. So imagine going to like Motown to put your sound with they sound and come back. And really, I always state my dad is the inventor of modern day R and B because you can't imagine R and B without flutes and strings.
Speaker 3: And you think of marriag jr. Blige when you think of like.
Speaker 2: Mask off by Future or whatever when you hear flutes and hip hop is like Isaca is the first person to put flutes and strings on top of like organs and gritty guitars and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: So when the publisher companies are coming at you now, are they now trying to renew the deals? Obviously fifty six years not gonna happen in this dayage, but are they doing like short term leases on the content is.
Speaker 2: Five years ironically, and this will go this, This will transition a lot into tech. What they're doing now, they're trying to buy catalogs, and I know you hear all the time people are buying catalogs, right, And I'm like, why these people selling their catalogs? It doesn't make sense to me because I understand the value of the music. And so I tell I think about this, and I say, well, how many people on Earth have a smartphone? And it's like six point three billion people with smartphones? Right, And I'll ask you, guys, this question aize people all the time. So, of six point three billion people on smartphones, how many people do you think have music streaming services on their phone? Like Apple Music, Spotify and Title in the millions or billions? How many people would you think of six point three business this point three? I say four billion? Cool, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Three billion?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, it's five hundred twenty five million people. It's so it's left so seven percent of the available market of people that could have a music streaming service on their phone have it. So in my mind, I'm like they said, by twenty thirty, it'll be like a billion people on streaming services. So in the next eight years, the streaming revenue is gonna double or triple, So why are you I wouldn't sell shit? And it's the same thing for Netflix. It's only two hundred and twenty two million people that have Netflix out of six point three billion people with the device that could have Netflix on it. So I'm like, oh, content is gonna be like the thing. And so when I talk about when I mentioned the fan base, the reason why I think that's important because I believe that person to person subscription is going to outpace platforms like Netflix because anybody that I know has Netflix. They watch a Netflix or a Hulu for one or two shows, but there's like thousands of pieces of content on there. So in the future, why wouldn't I just subscribe directly to the brand or the person that I really like their content from as opposed to paying this twenty five twenty dollars a month with commercials too shows for stuff that I don't really like. But if I really rock with like you know, Cardi B, then I'll just subscribe to her. If I really rock with this particular brand, and I'll subscribe directly to them or that person or you guys like you guys just like okay, then I'll just subscribe directly to y'all, and you guys get all the revenue. You own the content, and you make the and you call the shots.
Speaker 8: What's up, y'all? Are y'all interested in trying something fresh, something new, well? Check out Seagrums Escapes, the iconic flavored malt beverage love for flavor, color and relaxation. With over more than fifteen fruit forward flavors, including the perfectly sweet and tart Blueberry O SII Lemonade, they're the perfect treat man. That Blueberry I SI E Lemonade is a refreshing blend of tart, lemon and sweet blueberry flavors. It's a fan fave and it's blue color is guaranteed to pop on your final four IG stories.
Speaker 3: So whether you're.
Speaker 8: Staying at home for Marshal madness or you're headed out to wash the games, the sweet and refreshing flavors are perfect pick for those that love flavor and color. With their rainbow of options, you can always find a flavor and color to match your vibe. At three point two percent APV, you can enjoy Seagrums Escapes as is, or shake things up and use them as a cocktail mixer, try pumping up your flavorite flavor with the spirit of your choice, or get creative with fish bowls, frozen slushies and jello shots. The built in flavor and color make seagrums Escapes an easy shortcut to delicious, instworthy cocktails. The options are endless, and Seagrams are skins, make it easy to bring them all the life with flavor and color packed in every bottle. So chanced to happiness with Seagrim's Escapes and check out that blueberry eyes side lemonade. Sip responsibly, Thank me later, y'all.
Speaker 6: So, all right, so let's get into this conversation off fan base. What's the first steps that you took to get the company off the ground and how much money was it actually to actually get the company off the ground.
Speaker 5: So do you don't have a tech background? Right?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: So you have an idea, but you don't necessarily know how to actually go about it. So what's the first thing that you did to actually get an app? Because a lot of people have ideas about app they don't even know how to go about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think I educated myself through mentors. So there's my three mentors and tech immediately, Joel Berk's Barry Gibbings and Justin Dawkins, and so the three of them have a company called Collapse Capital. So Jewel Berks had a company called part Pick that she saw the Amazon and exited. And Barry Gibbons had a vent a startup, a tech startup, and Justin is their partner, and they have a company called Collab Capital where they invest in people. So I went to them and I met them at the gathering spot in Atlanta, Georgia where everybody comes together and meets and has great ideas. And I got to pick. Yeah, so I got to I got to pick their brains. And they were more than gracious to just give me the information about you know, you know, how much should a CTO have, what kind of equity like to the other this idea which you're gonna build, You need an MVP. So I was just learning, you need a deck, you need you know, you need a proof of concept.
Speaker 3: So they're okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I just had all that information and I just started researching and then I'm kind of one of those kind of do it do it off, I need to do it all type of people. So even the deck, like I had somebody, they gave me somebody that builds decks, but I said, send me the deck in Keynote and then I just started clicking buttons and I built my deck and learned how to use Keynote. Now, so now I'm a keynote whiz. So I'm the kind of person that is just figure it out on my own if I need to. And I'm a produce, so I know what it's I know what the app is supposed to look like, what it's supposed to feel like, what the buttons are supposed to do.
Speaker 3: All I need I need.
Speaker 2: I know what the colors are supposed to be, so all I need is somebody to build it. So that was the part that was very very.
Speaker 3: Hard for me. Yeah, it was. It was. It was a challenge.
Speaker 2: But again, and I had somebody that was working with me on this, which is really weird. It was this young lady that was working with me on the app and she was kind of like guiding me through it. But then she just disappeared and I was like, Okay, now I'm really out here, like I'm dolo. So my attorney at the time introduced me to my now CTO and and he built the app. Very talented god by the name of Romero Cannavas. That's like my guy, my right hand and what we do at fan Base couldn't build it without them, And so we just started the process of putting together the early stages of what fan Base would be.
Speaker 8: So when you meet him and you're putting the plants together, how long before the actual completion of the idea.
Speaker 3: So it's about six months.
Speaker 2: So we built it from We built the MVP from like July to December.
Speaker 5: MVP middle viable products, And that's just like.
Speaker 6: The most important things that need to be part of the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because so typically, and this comes from people in black tech, is like we don't get to write our ideas down on a napkin and slide it over to somebody say okay, I'll fund that for twenty million dollars, because because along the way, you know, I would hear from from other people in tech and say, man, like these dudes got twenty million dollars and spend all the money on some other bullshit and never even built an MVP, never built a prototype. They just take the money and trick it off or do something like that, and they're not They're not black. R we don't get we don't get you know, we get to you know, we don't get a nap. We have to prove ourselves be on a shadow of a doubt. So I knew, Okay, I'm gonna have to make something that like, Okay, this shit really really works and once people have those light bulb moments, right, And I'm gracious enough in building a platform that I know that because I hated every social media platform that came out except for Instagram. I was hated all on my thought, and I mean not dislike them. I hated on them, like oh, this is stupid. Like first time I saw first time I saw MySpace, I was like.
Speaker 3: That's done. And I was like, oh, and I was on Facebook, that's done. I was like oh.
Speaker 2: And I saw Twitter and I was like I got on Twitter and oh eight nobody was on there. And I left and then I came back like the end of O nine, and I thought about it. I was like, Oh, this is going to be the news before the news, so somebody get to shooting. This is how I think somebody get to shooting. It'll be on Twitter before the news. Even though they were shooting at the club. And that's kind of what you see now. I checked Twitter. Twitter is my news before anything, so that's you know, I knew that. So and then Instagram is the only one that I got because I said, this is going to kill the website.
Speaker 3: So websites are done.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to a website in ten years because I can see TMZ and ESPN and you know, some funny comedians and all this kind of stuff all at the same time. So I just knew that that was what the future of social media is gonna be. So that's what that's what led me to thinking about fan base.
Speaker 6: So all right, so you get the CTO, he builds it. You hadn't mentioned the equity, So did you give him equity as opposed to paying him or so.
Speaker 2: So the first thing, and this is when I knew I was onto something. I paid them directly right just to build it. But I made sure that on the code. How was it to cost the building It costs like two hundred thous what costs initially about one hundred thousand to build it just to do that, And and the fact that if this was done in the state, it probably would have cost me like three I couldn't have built this in America because it's the time and the resources it takes the building. It probably would have taken me like three hundred and fifty grand to build it, because that's just how much. You know, if you get somebody because you hear it, you hear a lot of people say, oh, I'm gonna go to India.
Speaker 5: We did that. Yeah, yeah, we so we had not to cut you off.
Speaker 6: But we had an app that he was building for DJs, and we realiz that it was going to cost like five hundred thousand buildings in America, but in India except they said we can get it done for like fifty thousand man, so we ended up paying You paid one guy like twenty thousand. Yeah, we paid him like twenty thousand and eight. They it was terrible, you know, telling was wrong, it didn't work properly, everything was bad, and they after a while they stopped answering. Then they went on holiday, which you found out the holidays is like three weeks.
Speaker 5: And then we hired another Indian to go find.
Speaker 6: This the guy in India, Yeah, he was in the jungle, and paid him like five thousand.
Speaker 8: Right, we paid a flight for him. So the next thing he tried to find was in the jungle. So then we paid it his flight to go find him. But he end never ran.
Speaker 6: Off on He ran off on this so we got burnt pretty bad. We lost about thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, never got any kind of proble.
Speaker 2: Mean, And what I tell people about when I tell people about India, it's not a knock to get India, it's it's on the other side of the plane. So the times is off. Argentina is just like an hour head. And Argentina is just like they hungry, like they like yo, we can cold, just as good as Facebook and all these major corporations and so and it was just fortunate that Ramiro lives in Atlanta, so his company is based here in Atlanta. So equity was not a part of the conversation. It was built. And then what he did, and this is this is when I said, Okay, I got something here. Because they had been in business for about ten years or so already, and he said, we want to invest in this. This is the first this is the first app that we've ever been a part of. And they've built stuff for the CDC and Taco Bell and all these other companies and a lot of startups to come through their doors and they've built stuff and gone along. But it was like, nah, we want to we want to be a part of this because we rock with you and we think this is like what the future is about. And I said, okay, I'm on this something because and it was great because then I had him. And this is a lesson that I learned and had to know is if you're going to raise capital, you're going to have to have a ct because if you because if nobody's gonna give you money, if the person that is gonna build they can just pick up and leave.
Speaker 5: The technology officers, yeah.
Speaker 2: They have to have some skin in the game that they're attached to the product just as much as you. So you guys are in it together, so that they just look at like they don't take it as a check, like, oh, here's a check, here's your app. Because then when you go to raise money, somebod's gonna ask you we who's gonna help you build this? And if you don't have a CTO, you have to get one. So people, and those are the things that I learned from Jewel and Barry and justin like you got to have a CTO, they have to own part of the company, you know. And so that's the that's the situation that arose because it makes me best just feel comfortable.
Speaker 8: Was that the first time, as you were obviously finding Romero he's building it. Is this the first time you're thinking, all right, this is my company, I'm gonna allow other people to have shares in this equity In the situation.
Speaker 2: No, so we were still we were still going to go the route. Initially, I just left it alone because I didn't want anybody to know that I was attached to it, because of the stigma that.
Speaker 3: That Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: When my companies, Yeah, when white people build something, it's a perceived it's for all people. But when black people build something, it's perceived it's only for black people. And fan base, its fan base is for every single user on the planet. So I just wanted to stay as far away as I possibly could. So I did that, and I wanted a proof of concept without without corrupting the data. So I didn't tell anybody I built it. I didn't tell nobody to use it. I just want to see if I put it out there with somebody use it and make money, and people did, and in a year we got to about ten thousand users and a couple of users made four grand, six grand. I said, Okay, now I can walk into a room and say I didn't tell nobody, I didn't pay nobody to talk about this. I didn't spend any money on marketing that someone could actually use the platform and do that. And so that I had one VC call and it's still kind of rub me the wrong way, like you're supposed to like you're supposed to be like, Okay, here's the money to do this, And it didn't work out that way. And then covid just came down like a hammer, and we was all inside.
Speaker 3: What was that feeling like?
Speaker 8: Right, you had the idea, you built it, you don't tell anybody's all word of mouth. What's that feeling like? Because every time we tell people like celebrate all the ones. Right, once you start seeing people making money on your idea, what's the feeling like at that time for you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was enormous because I just because in my mind the calculations I'm learning about, like Okay, how much can you scale this? How far can this idea go? That every single person on the planet has the ability to turn themselves into their own business because that's what you're doing. You're democratizing access to distribution for every single user on the planet. And that's enormous for brands and every single person. And when I think of our competitors out there, I don't like when people talk about fan base, they say it's fan base for content creators or artists or musicians, and they isolated and platforms the other the other platforms tend to do that they call the user a content creator, when in truth, we're all content creators. Every single person on social media's creating content. If you're commenting, posting, you're posting once a year, one hundred times a day, we're all content creators. And so that that made me feel, you know, really good, because now the sky's the limit.
Speaker 6: So let me ask you this, as far as the app, can you just explain every single aspect of the app and details where you can give like a a perspective of people that might not be familiar with it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, yeah, So so fan base is photo, video, livestream and audio and long form content that's monetizable for every single user on the planet, so you can have so you can it's free to dol, free to use. But you can also simultaneously have subscribers at the same time, so you can have follower you have one hundred thousand subscribers and one hundred thousand followers and twenty thousand subscribers and they be on the exact same page. It's just the content that you deem for subscribers only they can see and it's paywall or they can unlock it, and then the free stuff is for everybody else like all the other social media platforms.
Speaker 5: How much is it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's four ninety nine a month per person you subscribe to.
Speaker 5: So per person subscribe to. So if I subscribe to.
Speaker 6: Little Wing, I'm paying five dollars. If I subscribe to Earn your Legion, I'm paying five dollars.
Speaker 5: If every single time it's a five dollars yall, we couldn't do that.
Speaker 2: And this is important to say because I know that the conversation of subscriptions has become so mainstream the last two or three years. Fan Base was the first native application to allow a user to have a follower and a subscriber at the same time, and the reason I know we were first because Apple wouldn't let us do it. And that's the crazy part about it. So when you when you subscribe it like Spotify or or Netflix or whatever it is, you create something called a subscription profile on Apple, right, And so we went to Apple said we want to make an app that allows you to subscribe to whoever you want to subscribe to, and they were like no, because if one person subscribed to fifty people, that's fifty subscription profiles we have to keep up with. They were like, we're not letting y'all do that. So initially, what we did is allow users to subscribe to one person, three people, or five people, so each one of those is an individual subscription profile that only Apple has to keep up with.
Speaker 3: But you get five people for one profile.
Speaker 2: So fast forward to Instagram aligned subscriptions.
Speaker 3: And I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: I was like, that means Apples changed it their way because now you can subscribe to whoever you want to on Instagram and I was like, that didn't exist before we did it. And I remember Rameiro saying, that's a good thing because you're cause that means you're doing something that nobody's been done. Whenever you run into a barrier in tech, that means oh, nobody's done it. But he's like, but we can work our way around that. And that was the workaround we came up with.
Speaker 8: So when they're creating content, content creators, everybody is right, I know, especially like on Instagram you have five hundred thousand followers, a million followers, Not everybody sees that content.
Speaker 7: What's that like for fanbase?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Is it the same out Like everybody that follows me will be updated on what I'm doing. Yeah, it doesn't matter if I'm free or subscription. I'ld still be something that could be unlocked it from subscription.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter because that that is the goal is for us to allow anybody to make as much money as it possibly can.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So on current social media platforms like Instagram, and I'm very critical of that. Instagram was fun until about twenty fourteen, right, and that's when they started running ads, and so because you would go viral, you could wind up with a million followers in a day.
Speaker 3: It was popping.
Speaker 2: Somebody might say something, you know, go viral and it's like, yo, I got like three hundred thousand followers in a day. Right, It doesn't work that way anymore. That's because Instagram and Facebook are built around advertising, and so I tell people all the time, and people are like, I never thought of that. I was like, why would Instagram you reach a million people? When they charge people to reach a million people? So they can't do that. Right, If you go to your iPhone right now, try to boost your posts on Instagram. It'll take you ten thousand dollars to reach the minimum of a million people, and you may or may not reach those people. Right, So if you got twenty million followers, you think that every time you post a photo, Instagram's gonna send that to twenty million people if you could do that every single time. And what I said before was it was cool when it was just text and photo. Once video gets involved, now you're a network, you know, Like I say, eighteen million people watch Sunday Night football during football season. NBC charges eight hundred and sixty thousand dollars for a thirty second spot. So if you could post a video on Instagram and it reached eighteen million people, you catch charge eight hundred and sixty thousand dollars every time you did that. But guess what happens. The brands would come and pay you and not pay Instagram. So for that very reason, they have to limit the amount of people that see your content so they can make money. You still get engage, but it's about three to four percent of your following, but it's not the one hundred percent. So on fan base, we want everybody to see your content. I mean, Beyonce got two hundred and thirty one million followers.
Speaker 3: She cheat.
Speaker 2: You could charge ten million of posts and never work again, like ten million here, ten millionaire. They're not doing that. If you go to Beyonce's page right now and click on the video portion of her page, her videos have like three four million views, five million views max. May other ones that go viral because it went viral, so might have eleven million, eighteen million, But most of the videos are like three to four million, which is like three or four percent.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about this algorithm. What is an algorithm?
Speaker 6: Because every social media, every single one of them, has an algorithm to TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, to Instagram. My understanding is that as the apps get bigger, the algorithm is needed because it filters out who they think would be more engaged with it and it's easier to navigate as opposed to like just getting it to every single person. Yeah, that may be true, that may not be true. Does your app have an algorithm and what is it? What is the actual purpose of algorithm because everybody's heard the term, but I don't think a lot of people actually fully understand album.
Speaker 2: Well the purpose of algorithms. They can serve many purposes. One is to actually moderate content, right, So content moderation is key.
Speaker 3: In the early days of social media.
Speaker 2: You might see someone that you might someone might be able to post a hashtag that says like big booty bitches, right, and it's like, okay, it's vulgar, but people might go viral. But you don't want brands and people to get on your platform and see big booty bitches. So the algorithm might see that and be like, if it has big booty bitches in the hashtag, then we're gonna hide that content. A suppressor or there's algorithms, there's there's content moderation that actually recognizes big booty and then they be like, yeah, demographics, right, but it actually can there's actually algorithms and and and stuff that can actually recognize the human form, right, so let's say, oh, this is new. So because to manually moderate content it's too expensive. You can't do it, especially on a platform that has billions of people, because when you're talking about eight ten billion pieces of content today and you can't have people looking like, is that a nipple?
Speaker 3: Is that a shadow of a nipple? We ain't got time for all that shit.
Speaker 2: So so algorithms are designed to take a lot of the human workload off of what's being done. They're also designed to help boost visibility of content or make the content more engaging for the benefit of the business. So the TikTok algorithm is very, very simple. It really is based off how long you hover on a piece of content and if you rewatch it. So if you hover on a piece of content that's about like dogs and cats, then the algorithm will serve you another piece of content, you know, ten fifteen pieces later and see what you do. And if you hover on that one and rewatch it, then they say, Okay, we think they like pet videos, so we'll start sending them more pet videos. But the problem is if the video is about suicide or you know, conspiracy theories, then the algorithm. It is just an algorithm still doesn't know, but it'll start sending you suicidal content so you can get down these rabbit holes of negative content. So algorithms are just programs that are designed to enhance the experience of the platform. But sometimes they can work to the benefit of the user or you know, to the defeat of the algorithm.
Speaker 8: Yes, so if that's I'm thinking, so for fan base, it would be more advantageous to actually have it boost the content because of more visibility.
Speaker 2: Well, there's we don't have algorithms. We don't have algorithms that boost content. It's simply if you have a million followers on fan base, some closer piece of content, then we're going to send it to a million people. I don't want to because once I start controlling the amount of visibility on the content that you receive, then I become you know what I said, I didn't want to be because it's about maximizing visibility to turn the And this is a good a good thing to talk about. Five percent of the people that follow you are your fan base. So if you have a million followers on social media and fifty thousand people really rock with you, the other ninety five percent of people follow you follow you passively like a magazine at a checkout aisle, or their nosy or their haters. The other five percent they are like, I rock with y'all, and that's what you focus on. And so I tell people all the time, do you want a million followers? Or do you want a million dollars a million follow I know people with five, ten, fifteen million followers broke can't even pay their bills. But fifty thousand people paying you two dollars a month is one hundred grand a month, one point two million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: That's it. Fifty thousand people.
Speaker 2: In fact, when bad Baby, I know y'all heard about Bad Baby, catch me outside, she made fifty five million dollars off OnlyFans, right, right. And the first thing, there's two things that I did. First thing I did is went subscriber page. Not not because I wanted to. I wanted to see what he did market research, yeah, no, absolutely, but to see what she posted that got that and I was surprised. Number One, she wasn't naked on any of the content. The videos might have been ten says, it might have been like ten seconds max and there's a lot of pictures right of her and like bikinis and lingerie and it was only like one hundred and sixty pieces of content. I said, she made fifty five million dollars off one hundred and sixty pieces of content. The next thing I did is I went to her Instagram page and there was no content on the page. It was like six posts. One of them was I made fifty five million dollars. Go cry about the bitches. And that's what the that's what the capture said, right. And I said, and this is something that I know in our community we need to hear.
Speaker 3: And it's gonna be a little controversial.
Speaker 2: But I was like, see, I was like, she hit all her content because she knows she makes Instagram. Instagram doesn't make her. And that mentality came to her because she's white. And what I mean by that if she understands she runs shit. These apps don't run me. On the other hand, we said, these apps are in us. They take our pages, they throttle us down. We beg giving my page back. They kick Boosy off the Instagram every other week he begging to get his page back on. He comes right back on. She's like I have sixteen million followers. This serves me no purpose at all. So she archived all her content and she put a link tree and said, you can stream my song, watch my music video, and come to my only fans. Because what is this sixteen million people doing for me? It's doing nothing. It's just a vanity number. It means absolutely no. What is good as having sixteen million followers if you can't use them?
Speaker 5: Oh do you think that it to play devils out of the kid? Oh? Gods, now the kids.
Speaker 6: My god nineteen Keys would say, it is a great form of promotion that's free, that you can reach. You might not be able to reach one hundred percent of your followers, but you can reach enough to tremendously boost your business.
Speaker 5: You know, don't think so.
Speaker 2: I believe that. But they're your followers. If I follow you, I want to see you.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, But keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC Ernest What's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, their seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee sh a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply hiring indeed is all you need.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, right, but that's that.
Speaker 2: But my point is the only thing that the only reason why it isn't done that way is because they're making money off you. What I tell people all the time is that if you're not making money directly from the platform, like the platform itself isn't hang you.
Speaker 3: You're the product. There's no way.
Speaker 2: And I was laughing the other day cause who was I talking I can't remember who I was talking to. And I was like, yeah, you know, I was like, they don't even let you reach your followers, even you know, you know, get a lot of money. They're like, well, yeah, they're not gonna let you build a business on top of their business, Like who won't let you do that?
Speaker 5: And they're not, what's so you kind of did you kind of like we built the business on their business?
Speaker 2: You do until they don't allow you to just they shadow you, block you, so they block you, or they just say we don't allow that. Like people, because I have there are a lot of people that are making money off bonuses, like off reels. They're like, oh, if I make if I get I can make up to thirty five thousand dollars. If I get three hundred and fifty million views, and I took out my calculator, I said, that's point zero zero zero one cent of you.
Speaker 3: Point zero zeros.
Speaker 2: It's like one hundredth of a percent per view, right, And they could decide and even remember that they're not on bonuses anymore. But if you're making that money month of a month and then in the program, your business is done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's not. It's not my design.
Speaker 2: It's not my My design is not to My design is to let people build an infinite business off the tools that I give you the build it, and I just collect the fee. I just take a percentage, make you make your business as big as you want to build it. I'm not the business. My business is making you a business.
Speaker 7: So do you take a percentage of the four ninety nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: But there's also other ways to monetize, right, So like if I go live, is it flicks?
Speaker 2: It's just gonna live. But Flix is like our version of short form like TikTok and rails, So I, oh, I do flicks or something like that. People could actually like give money while it's happening. Almost like people like YouTube has super chat or something like that. So, so we have subscriptions, and then we have a virtual currency we call love, and so love is purchased by the user to tip anybody on the platform or unlock content that you don't feel comfortable completely subscribing to. So so say, oh, I go to somebody's page and they got twenty pieces of content. Let me unlock one to see what's behind there, and then you get that and for that for that reason, right, So a lot of these other platforms used they make you go through the process of pulling out your credit card or sending up some sort of account. We use the innap purchase technology that's already built into Google and Apple for that reason. Their gangsters and they take thirty cents of every dollar, which is hefty, and we take twenty and we give fifty to the user. Now, when I hear it in the record business, when you got to think about people that are getting like sixteen cents out of a dollar, nine cents out of a dollar, fifty percent is a lot of money if you're making two dollars and fifty cents a subscriber, right, even that, even like I said, even if that's what is that that's one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars a month, one point five million dollars a year for fifty thousand people. Even if you wanted to, even if you wanted to, just go down to five thousand people subscribing to you, and you're making two fifty that's more money than you know ninety six percent of Americas one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of money.
Speaker 8: So I'm just thinking, like, if I'm an artist, you come from music, why would I just not put my I make a piece of art of music, and I put it directly there?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 7: Meaning?
Speaker 8: If I'm getting fifty percent on each view or each listen, will it make more sense?
Speaker 2: You get artists approaching you about this, Yeah, but most artists are tied into recording contracts and those people own that copyright, so they own the music video, they own the song, they own the master. But in this what I tell people all the time as an artist. For musicians, there are two ways of artists monetize their content. Primarily monetize their content through like music, like people buying your single, streaming your record, right, and then they monetize their audience through doing shows. So monetize your monetize your content through music, monetizer your audience by performing and doing concerts. There are large gaps of time where you're doing neither, and people want to know about your life. So people want to know where do you shot, who you dating, how do you stay fit? What happened at time? Y'all got in a fight in the club. So when I see people go live, this has happened two times in the last month. And I'm just and I say this all the time. When I seen when I seen Mega Stallion with Gail King, and I just saw Danny Lee talking to and Andy Martinez, I was like, what purpose did this serve? You could have literally sat down where Angie Martinez and told the whole story and put it behind the paywall. And now not even if you got kicked out the baby's house, go buy two houses, because everybody gonna tune in to see They might not even tell you they gonna watch, but they gonna watch. You know what I'm saying, Like monetize like fan base gives the ability for people to own their celebrity and monetize their celebrity. Don't let because what you do is when you tell it for free, TMZ takes it Baller at the Shade Room, all these places and they get all the views and.
Speaker 3: Continue to make money. And you just gave away your story for free.
Speaker 5: So what's the business model? Fan base?
Speaker 3: So, so the business model is subscriptions and virtual currency.
Speaker 6: I mean, as far as the company's making, how does the company make money?
Speaker 2: It makes it takes a percentage of we takecription, Yeah, twenty percent of anything. That so twenty percent of every penny, twenty percent of every dollar.
Speaker 5: So for five dollars a month, you get a dollar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the creators get fifty cents.
Speaker 2: Remember Apple, Apple and Google take thirty. We take twenty, okay, and then we pass fifty to the creator.
Speaker 5: So they get to fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two fifty person scrap that? Yeah, all right?
Speaker 6: Is the plan to also at one point have ads like all these other companies have.
Speaker 2: Again, if I have to run ads, then I have to probably limit the visibility of content because at that point, how am I gonna make revenue If I don't limit Brands are gonna want to come to the people that are on the platform to make money. And I don't think we have to run ads well, I think there's ways to be creative in the way that you advertise without actually running ads. I don't want to say what it is because every time I say something, it literally winds up on an app. I'm not lying like nobody's listening. No, for sure, like it's happened. So it's literally happened, like in real time where I and actually I had a friend of mine. I'm not gonna say what company he worked for, but he came and said, I want to talk to you because I want to talk to you about face, a huge like media company. He goes, we have this software, like like Facebook use us. All these companies use us. He's like, you know when you be like saying, like you talk about a product and also you get an add for Yeah, we're listening to your microphone like they hear it and they transcribing what you're saying. So if you talk about some shit and it show up on your phone, yes, they're absolutely. He's like, if you don't turn that shit off on your phone, your microphone, they're listening to everything you say.
Speaker 3: They're geo. They're geo fencing you.
Speaker 2: You walking, If you walk into a lingerie store, you're gonna get an ad about some brawls, and if they hear you talking about it, they hear you talking about a certain car or a certain product, they gonna send you and you know, oh, go go to this car wash or you know, do you know want some new rims or you need you know, anything like that. That's how they targeted a marketing target. So I know they listen, trust me.
Speaker 5: So there is a way. I just can't say it right now.
Speaker 6: But because I say have to say, that's one of the problems with Twitter, right they can't find a way to make money and they don't run ads.
Speaker 2: So elon, just say what he just said, he wants to turn into a subscription platform.
Speaker 6: Well it's yeah, but I'm just saying it still hasn't been done yet, So there's no there's no proven model that a social media company can be extremely profitable just based off of subscriptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean only fans. Only fans extremely profitable for the company.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, They about to change the whole business model through because they were trying to get.
Speaker 3: Away from that.
Speaker 2: But they were But again, it's like it's the same thing. It's kind of like you're you can't cut off your source of revenue to maintain your business. And I think it's great for sex workers. I think it's terrible for people that want to establish their brand beyond, you know, being associated with sex work, which is why a lot of people shy away from the platform because it's hard because brands will not rock with you for that very reason.
Speaker 6: Have you thought about leaving it up to the creative to see how much they want to charge?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Yes, and no, we can't the reason. So I've done an enormous amount of research on this, But what tends to happen is anything over like the seven eight dollars mark, subscriptions fall off about fifty percent month over a month. If I go into like if you going to only fans and you get there and it's a stack of folded clothes, you're out of there, like you're not. I came here to see boobs and so and she and she charged me like twenty five dollars.
Speaker 5: That's just what's your call of charge?
Speaker 3: That baby? She charged twenty four dollars, twenty four dollars twenty four a month.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's working for.
Speaker 2: Her, Oh no, because but it's it's it worked. I did I calculated it, it's still she made If you look at the image, she made like twenty five million dollars off messages, which is basically like unlocks, like what we're talking about, like how you can unlike.
Speaker 7: Conscious took the content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but sixteen million off subscriptions, And even if I did it, when you do the math, it's still about fifty six thousand people that she made sixteen million dollars off of just fifty six thousand people. She made sixteen million dollars off of a year. That's a small town. So, I mean, it's so because like it's you don't want to do it.
Speaker 8: But we see pretty much every subscription service started at a low tier and then they may offer another tier, not that they have to raise the price, but they just have an added to.
Speaker 2: Is that maybe an option? Yeah, it's it's hard. It's hard to do. I'm not trying to get too much of the game away. There's a reason why I'm not going to. I'm going to tell you it's it's it's doable, but it's not as easy as people think it is, just because of where technology is now. But it's it's doable, and I think we can we can do it. I just know that people, and I'll tell people all the time. If you go on your phone and look at the subscription you have on your phone, like I probably got like fifteen sixteen subscriptions on my phone. You forget about that three ninety nine. You remember that thirty four ninety nine or whatever, like, oh yeah, let me take that off because I'm getting killed. But you know anything, that's a price for bagg of chips in the soda and you're and you're getting what you want.
Speaker 3: People forget about that.
Speaker 2: And then you'll have a subscriber for a year, two years, and they're just into what they're locked into your content.
Speaker 3: That's what you want.
Speaker 2: You want the want, the you want the acquisition, you want the purchase to not immediately hit you. And especially reasons why I did virtual currency and love and why I built fan base, Like I said, I didn't build fan base for me. I build fan base for the generation or two after me, right, because you know, those those kids are transactional. They spend their money, they live their life like now and they're like I'm gonna save and you know, go to Paris when I get you know, retired, Like nah, we go into Paris this weekend, and I'm gonna go buy you know, the the rick Owens, and I'm gonna go buy all the fly clothes and even I'm gonna quit my job, and bro, they gonna live life like right now, so they gonna buy. They'll buy what they want. And they understand virtual virtual payment. So they got Venmo cash at PayPal. They understand that they're transactional and they're born into this. That's all they know. They don't My little brother don't really know paper money. I mean, he's sixteen years old. All he knows is, you know, I send him money, you know, digitally, and he has a card and he's not counting cash, like if that hurts to pull out money and spend it that way. So and then there's no amount of innovation that Facebook and Instagram can do to capture kids because kids are always gonna want to be on apps that their parents are not on. It's about community building. So soon as my mama got on Facebook, I was like, Peece's like, you know Facebook as stated by a young child, which which the user sent me, and he sent me the tweet. His daughter said, Facebook is where old people go to brag about their grandchildren. That's what a young person thinks of Facebook. So I don't care what Facebook bill you can build. As matter of fact, the child said meta credit feta, I don't care what Facebook bills. It'll never be as cool as roadblocks because Facebook is where old people go to brag about their grandchildren.
Speaker 3: So build whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Kids are gonna want to be able to talk about their love life, their sex life, the music that they're listening to, the things that they're going through in spaces and places where their parents are not.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about this funding conversation.
Speaker 6: So you raised three point five million, I believe in the regc crowd six million, six million, two rounds.
Speaker 3: So I raised three point four in the first REXCF and two point six in the second.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is crowdfunding, right, yeah? Equity crowdfunding? What platform? Start engine starting? Oh, it's equity crowdfunding. Yeah so all right, So the equity crowdfunding is people who have ownership, right, yeah, so talk about that. So this is where my good friend don Dixon, who's raised money multiple times on Starter, and she's like the she's the first black woman to raise a million dollars to equity crowdfunding, and so she's like, you know, you can do this too, I because you understand your business is a great product, and then who better to have equity in the startup than the people that actually use it. And it's different for other companies, but I think it fit well with fan base and the time that we were in because there were so many complaints about what was going on on social media. It's like TikTok had this huge scandal about how if you put black anywhere you on the creator marketplace and you use black lives matter, black success black people. They were like, it's inappropriate concept, but you can put white supremacy, you know, and still charge for that. So TikTok had had a bad rich problem and they still do. And I tell people all the time, like, there's nothing that TikTok can do to to help you as a creator in the United States of America. That's a Chinese based company. The algorithm in China. All the shots get caught from China. So for us that the opportunity to equity crowdfund came about. And it's hard because only two percent of startups that apply for equity crowdfund and get accepted. So It's not like I could just sign up the start engine and do shared. It's a very very long process. You know, you have to go through multiple financial disclosures, like you got to fill out a lot of paperwork, file a lot of paperwork. So once you do all this kind of stuff, you know, then you're allowed to raise, and then you have to you know, market the raise to the point that the money that you're trying to raise. So I've known people that have tried to raise a million dollars and weren't able to raise ten thousand, right, and so you have to become the raise. You have to live it and really market and promoted non stuff. So we were successful two different times.
Speaker 3: So you have.
Speaker 8: Correct me if I'm over eight thousand investors. So what's the minimum to be able to invest? And obviously I don't know if obviously there's a.
Speaker 2: Maximare So when you're doing a RecF, the minimum is is I mean somewhere and around the nature of about one hundred and fifty to two undred fifty dollars. For our raise was two fifty minimum to invest with two hundred and fifty six dollars and the maximum is one hundred grand one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 8: Okay, So what's the marketing plan to make sure that people hear about it? They're interested in it? Obviously beyond you. It must be a marketing plan that's put behind it so we can have awareness. Are you going on social well social media to promote it? Are you using the other platforms?
Speaker 2: So Dawn was Dawn was my coach, and I took a lot of what she said a little bit of what I do. Because most people that raise capital, like do equity crowdfunding, have to take it a portion of their raise and put it back into advertising the campaign.
Speaker 3: I've never done that.
Speaker 2: I've never running ad campaign to raise money for fan base. What I have done is use platforms like clubhouse, you know, or use the use the climate of the in of what people are going through right now to say there's an alternative to this. If you if you're tired of these platforms treating you the way that you're treated, then you can definitely own part of one platform and continue to use this. So doing shows like this like I was Fun, like I did the I did the first round, I raised like three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: The first goal was to.
Speaker 2: Raise a million, and we did that in about I raised like three hundred thousand dollars in like the first two and a half weeks, and I did the Breakfast Club and then the day that I did the breakflub in that air, I raised like seven hundred thousand dollars unless an hour close that raise and had a wait list of like one point three million dollars.
Speaker 3: So you just never and that was viral. You never know when you're going to go viral.
Speaker 2: But also I think a key factor in doing when you're doing equity crowdfunding is letting people know how you're doing because it becomes a game to people, like people are watching it.
Speaker 3: Oh he raised a little fifty.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars, I know he trying to raise like a million, two million, all right, and then they'll see you raise one hundred thousand, and they'll see you raised two hundred thousand. And that's what happened, and people were like, oh, man, I'm missed out because then went viral and to raise clothes at a million, I was able to open it back up and accept the wait list onto three point four million dollars. But a lot of people missed out and so but they'll follow it and they'll be like, I don't think he gonna make it then, and then when you make it, then they get like, I ain't missing the next one because you don't, you know. We The importance of equity crowdfunding is that accredited investors are allowed to go in and put minimal amounts of money into companies and walk away with huge.
Speaker 3: Amounts of return. Right.
Speaker 2: And so the credited investor, for those that don't know, is a person that makes over one hundred thousand dollars a year for two consecutive years, or has a networth of a million dollars minus their primary residents.
Speaker 3: Right. So I give this example, and I tell people all the time. One of the seed.
Speaker 2: Investors in uber or in Michael's Google him, he put five thousand dollars into uber in twenty ten, So I think the first you know half a million that they're raised, he put five g's an accredited investor. When the company ippiled in twenty nineteen, his five thousands worth twenty four million dollars. And I'm like, oh, okay, I'm not trying to be funny, but I know I know a lot of people with five j one thousand dollars. I know ten people with five hundred dollars. How come we can't? How come ain't nobody call me about Uber?
Speaker 3: Right? Because you're not accredited.
Speaker 2: So the accredited investor rule came in in nineteen thirty five, and it was really a rule to lock out the good opportunities only for the rich people. So like, oh, you got to be rich in this because we don't want you to blow your life savings on a bad investment. We don't want you to take your retirement money and put it into this thing called Uber and it goes belly up and you lost your fortune. But I tell people all the time, you don't have to be accredited to go to Vegas and blow five thousand dollars on the crap table. You don't have to be accredited to go buy lottery tickets five thousand dollars with a lottery tickets and wind up winning nothing. So why can't we gamble with startups the same way? And so that is where companies like start Engine come in and allow us for people to put the price of a pair of Jordan's into a startup and see where it goes. Because you're gonna eat it, you know, you're gonna buy it on some bullshit or hookah or whatever, you know, throw it at the strip club or you know, just do normal things.
Speaker 3: But why not be able to take some money and run with it?
Speaker 6: So, all right, VC, are you interested in getting venture capital? Did you have you tried to get VNCI traditional venture capital? What's your thoughts on venture to capital? And you investors?
Speaker 2: So I took one venture capital meeting before we did equity crowdfunding, and it felt really like, we don't want you to let we don't want you to play in our field. And then it just so happened that again like COVID hit. And so I'm definitely interested in venture capital, but I'm interested in the right venture capital and then the right way that it's done. And so I think the benefit of working in the music business, and I say this all the time, is that I've seen the worst deals possible.
Speaker 3: I've seen the worst.
Speaker 2: Publishing bills, I've seen my friends get signed, the bad publish deals. I've seen the worst kind of business deals done for artists and labels. So a VC can't slide me a deal Because a lot of my friends that are into tech, they have their version of bad record deals, like they have versions of where they might have given up too much equity or too much power in their company and got voted out of the company like Steve Jobs did, like Steve's all the genius. How do you get voted out your own damn company? But you know you're so fixed on I know I can make this work. That'll never happen. But now things happen and you get voted out. So I'm definitely interested in that. And so I treated I treat fan base like an independent artist because when the vcs were like that, one VC was like, oh no, it's like trying to go to the record company like Drake and they dish you and then you put your mixtape out and it which is my version of selling shares out the truck of my car to the tune of six million dollars. So now I was like, I got the streets. I don't need y'all. So now a VC can't come along and just hand me any old deal, right, the deal's gonna have to be respectable, and I under stand in the market and so and I can always go back to raising capital from the streets. So it's like I can always go back being independent. So if I do do a deal, my goal is to make fan base it's hot as little baby. So when the vcs come along, they're like, we got to sign you because you're so hot in the streets. If we don't, we're gonna miss out. And that's the that's the the the the model of the energy that I have. I definitely want vcs because they're they're definitely good business parties and can open up a lot of doors. But again, it just has to be the right deal.
Speaker 8: So you got over eight thousand, and now the app is in one hundred and seventy countries, maybe.
Speaker 3: More one hundred and thirty plus. Why why would that work?
Speaker 8: As far as international investors are people from other countries able to invest?
Speaker 2: So the only only two countries that you couldn't invest that started and had limitations on, and that was based on the country where the UK and Canada. Everywhere else is open. It was open for people to wes. We have international investors from overseas and stuff like that. I don't know what regulations prevent you from investing from Canada and the UK, and and those are the two places where people.
Speaker 3: Were like, man, I want to invest, like I'm right here, like I'm right.
Speaker 2: I'm not for y'all let me and I just I had no choice, you know, I had no control over that.
Speaker 5: How many users is on the app right now?
Speaker 2: Two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 5: What's your goal for users?
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to get I want to get to a million users before the end of the summer. And we in the entire time we've we've you know, we've raised six million dollars. Even though we've raised six million dollars, I didn't we haven't done any marketing. So now we're getting to the point in the phase where we're going to do some marketing and do some strategic marketing.
Speaker 3: But there's a plan to onboard a lot.
Speaker 2: Of users and and you know, and really have a strong push through the summer. I want to get young. We got we have a creator advisory board of young talent that is geared toward what the app is going to do with creators, and then you know, audio rooms and stuff like that that are happening. So the goal is to get to a million users super super quick and then raise a significant Series A because that'll just give us the capital continue that's what you do even even even investors and and and vcs aren't so much concerned about the revenue because even in startups it's like, you know, you got to figure out monetization, even though monetization is built in. They're more they're more excited about the user base. So I want to focus on the user base. We're making money, We've made a lot of money with fan base, but I want to continue to to scale the user base because that just becomes more advantageous.
Speaker 9: To the community and vcs. So okay, so is it all right? I get the subscription side of it, but is it still a social side? Like what if you're going on you don't want to follow anybody to pay?
Speaker 5: Yea, is it still a social It's free, it's free, it's free to follow.
Speaker 3: There's there's tons of free companies.
Speaker 5: Is it designed strictly for creatives or is it designed for just general public?
Speaker 2: This is not for every user. It doesn't it doesn't matter. That's the thing about it. You're going to make money on fan base whether you want to or not. You don't never have to like enter your your debit card or whatever to get paid. You're gonna still go look at your revenue and see some money because somebody's gonna love what you do. That's what I mean by being transactional. Somebody's gonna be like, oh, I'll give you like a couple of pennies for that. And when you think about scaling that over time, because we all don't know what we're going to become, you might somebody might have a really good knack for designing sneakers or dying tennis shoes or whatever, and all of a sudden, people want to know, like how do you die your tennis shoes? And you start making videos about that, and before you know it, you've got a whole business built on the content that you've created. So I just wanted to leave it wide open for you to discover your passion and then if you want to monetize it in the form of conversation, in the form of photo, in the form of long form content like a TV show, you know what I'm saying, Like I imagine, I imagine like how Whatterray did with Black Awkward, Black Girl, but she never sold it to HBOS, so it just eventually became Insecure and she just had subscribers subscribing to Insecure the whole time. Because now She's like, she owns the whole whole thing, and she owned a fab. If they want to come along and license it or buy it or go ahead, but it's mine. It's that Tyler Perry mentality, like own your content first, because you own your content on fanbase. If you if you blow up and somebody wants to come along and say, hey, we want to put the show on ABC, you have a decision to make. You want to sell the ABC or do you want to still own it? Make the line's share of the profit and call the shots. So obviously when you're raising each round, you're collecting the money. With development back into the business, talk about how you're going strategically about adding technologies because I know you don't want to build everything at once.
Speaker 8: It takes time. And obviously as you're building, other companies are building. So what's that process? Look, I mean it's tough.
Speaker 2: I mean I think we because we don't have and when I tell people to look like I'll bring I'll do like small focus script when we have people come out office and I'll hand them the app and I'll say how much of this feel like? Current platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Clubhouse, and they'll say, man, this is like I say, on scale of one to ten, they be like eight or nine. I say, okay, we've built this with less than like three and a half million dollars, three million dollars, Like what do you think we could do with thirty five or three hundred million? Right, So that's the thing about it. So I mean, our strategy, like I said, is continue to build the technology that people want, because everybody wants everything now, but you have to build things that also turn.
Speaker 3: Revenue and create engagement.
Speaker 2: So we focus on things like short form video because it's super super in gaging audio. Like when you think about platforms, like we in our data in our analytics, the average user spends about forty minutes a day on YouTube, twenty nine on Instagram, about ten to fifteen on TikTok. Because of the audio and video combined. On fan Base, people are spending about an hour and thirty minutes a day hour and twenty minutes a day on the app. Because you can score, you can be in an audio room and roll the app at the same time, so you can use your eyes and your ears at the same time. When you're on audio apps, you typically just listen and look at the phone, Like I said, who's an audience, and then that's kind of that it. But when you can engage with multiple mediums and content at the same time, we do that.
Speaker 3: So we wanna I call them user tools.
Speaker 2: We wanna build user tools that allow people to monetize and discover what their abilities are and make sure that those verticals are there while the things that people may want that are not so much geared towards like oh, we want more filters or we want carousels, like, we'll get there, But we have to focus on the things that I know that that the users want, because the users define a platform. You know, there were no there, There wasn't the things retweets. Still people started putting our t and then putting them behind the height and then they just added the functionality.
Speaker 3: So your community will tell you what it wants and we listen.
Speaker 2: So whatever whatever it gets sent in the most or of of most urgency, we develop the buildings of the platform.
Speaker 7: Do y'all have a partnership program? I know like Snoopers.
Speaker 8: I've seen Snoop promote the brand, perhaps an investor Charlotta Maine, is there like a part program or people hearing about it here say they meet you to talk to you about what the platform is based on, and they say, I want to be a.
Speaker 7: Part of It's like, what's that process like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean so it's more like, and again I say this all the time, it's more about people just saying, hey, like this is a real chance for us to own and monetize our content, because like, the users make the value of the platform. Everybody left Instagram tomorrow, Instagram me worth zero dollars and zero cents, right, and so they create the value, and so everybody we're in this moment where everybody's so frustrated with shadow banding and all that kind of stuff. Like even when Snoop came on the platform and started using it more is because the day of the Super Bowl, Instagram wouldn't let him go live.
Speaker 3: So he's like, I'm going to fan base.
Speaker 2: Right where I can you know, send it out and go there and be live. And what I noticed was whenever we make a move and I said this, I said this before, is like, initially when we were building subscriber based story story that you can put behind the paywall so you don't have stories for followers, and stories for subscribers. Instagram was going to call that functionality fan clubs. I was like, come on, y'all right, they copy everybody, so it's cool, right they want to call it fan clubs. We were changing our price. Our price was three ninety nine. We went from three ninety nine to four ninety nine. Instagram had rolled out a pilot program for subscriptions and giving it to about ten or fifteen people the day that we announced that we were going to four ninety nine. The next week, everybody got subscriptions. Everybody black, I'm sorry. Everybody was on my feet. Subscribe to this person, subscribe to that person. Everybody's like, do you see this?
Speaker 3: I'm like yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, look at this company is raised six million dollars influencing a nine hundred billion dollar market cap company because they know that they've underserved an audience for years, and there's somebody that's stepping in the void to actually feel that that place for users and really allows them to take full advantage of their following.
Speaker 5: So what's next for fan base? Like, what's your what's your six month, twelve month vision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a million users. Series A.
Speaker 2: We've been getting calls about Series A and I happily accept the phone calls and I think they're they're great and people are interested in So we're just gonna continue to have conversation with vcs and if the right partner comes along, because it's just it's just about the right partner. It's about a person that believes in what we're building, believes in the culture of what we're building, and then we'll continue to scale the platform. I want to be, like I said, I want to be the guy that disrupts so much media because here's the thing that I said about bad Baby, and I think people don't understand what Like I don't people understand understand what she did because she made fifty five million dollars. She's signed to Atlantic Records. Atlantic Records can't pay her fifty five million dollars a year, so when her dealer is up at Atlantic Records, she'd be like, ninety ten, I keep ninety you keep ten. I don't want this fifty to fifty whatever y'all you know, or I'll just go somewhere else and somebody will get rid of that deal. That's leverage, you know. NIL has kicked in for athletes, So the ability for an athlete to build a fan base to monetize it, and then if Nike comes with a deal, he'd be like, I make that a month on subscriptions, put that away. I'm giving leverage. It's like, you know, for talent, for people that do you know TV shows. That's why I say and I said this and shout out to Dre Davis, who works in fan base is a good friend of mine. He remembers when I said this, I sat across from a rapper, a female rapper, and I said this. This was less than a year ago. I said, if you're not monetizing your content today, five years from now, you're going to be out earned by somebody that's less talented than you that decided to do it. And I said, you're gonna walk up one day and somebody said, somebody made a million dollars off. Only fans are a million dollars subscribing. And he was like, it won a million dollars. It was fifty five million dollars And she made more money than Cardi B, Nicki, Minaj, Meg Thee Stallion, all the female rappers Doja Cat can't, nobody diss her can did her? She made fifty five million dollars off one hundred and sixty posts. You can't you can't disser for that. And she didn't get naked, she ain't busting open or nothing. She just went to her fan base and monetized it and made money. So that was that was such a such a moment that I don't think people realized what she did because she triggered the ability for people to say, oh, I again, I'm the I'm the show. You don't make me, I make you. If I decide to pick up and take my talents to fan base, they coming with me. And I think the moment that people realize that in mass these platforms are in trouble.
Speaker 5: One last thing before we wrap.
Speaker 6: You mentioned earlier that she was reluctant to shut that out because you didn't want to be looked at as like a black She did come out, y'all vocal and basically, so why did you decide.
Speaker 3: To do that?
Speaker 5: And do you think that people look at fan base as a.
Speaker 3: Black app So two reasons.
Speaker 2: One at the same time, the Black Lives Matter move happened when you were in middle of COVID and George for what happened, and the protests were going on, and all of a sudden, the tech community, the business community was acceptant, accepting of recognizing the effect that black culture and black people have on the economy and how we've been locked, you know, economically.
Speaker 3: Out of you know, those those systems.
Speaker 2: And then to most tech startups, you really you really invest also in the company, but you invest in the founder. And I think for me, I wanted the people to know me and understand that who you were investing in and what product you were getting and the person that had the passion behind what you were doing and what I was doing. So I was very very you know, cool with be in that. Now to that point, again, it's unfortunate that when you know, white people build things, it's perceived that they're built for all people.
Speaker 3: But when somebody black builds something, there's real luck to that.
Speaker 2: But what we also know is that wherever the culture goes, everybody follows. It doesn't matter wherever the party is. And I say that, I say, I treat fan base like a nightclub. I said, it's like, right now, fan base is like ten thirty, Like it's cool.
Speaker 3: You can get right to the bar, it's some girls in here. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Whatever but once it hits like one am, everybody's gonna pull up at the same time. It's gonna be like, oh, it's the hottest club in the country. And fan base is the is the rule and not the exception. Companies like Instagram are the exception. Companies like Clubhouse are the exception. When I look at byte Dance, which is TikTok's parent company, or I even look at Patreon, those companies were started in twenty twelve, in twenty thirteen, and it took them years of raising capital and growing their audience to where even people know. People still don't know what Patreon is, right, and they've they've managed to raise I think three hundred million dollars so far, three hundred plus million dollars so far. And byte Dance started out twenty twelve and they become profitable until twenty nineteen. So it's it's usually a long grind of really, you know, building the company. So we're in it for the long haul and we're just ahead of the curve and where everybody else is that right now?
Speaker 6: So how can people follow you? How can they sign up to the app? What's all the information can they is the still raising money?
Speaker 3: No so we've closed both of our rounds.
Speaker 2: I can't tell if I'm going to raise another round to the public because that's illegal.
Speaker 3: Everybody said, are you gonna raise on the round?
Speaker 2: Can't say you can only announce a raise once a raise is live. So if I do, I'll come back here and tell y'all. I know a lot of people hear about it, and come do that. I'll do that. You can find me on fan Base. It's on iOS and Android. It's free to download, free to you. That's what I tell everybody. It's like, it doesn't it doesn't cost anything to use the platform at all. And I'm isaacase three on those platform So I aac h A y s and number three on Instagram, Twitter and fan Base, especially because I don't really post. I kind of post like about fan Base on my other socials, but I put what I do, what I eat, how I live, what I'm doing on fan.
Speaker 3: Base because that's that's where we at.
Speaker 2: And Twitter and twitters, and I say this Twitter to all the people that do make content. Your stories on Instagram and Twitter are your most valuable pieces of IP. That's where you can get the most traction and the most potential varility of what you.
Speaker 3: Do everywhere else TikTok.
Speaker 2: They're the most disloyal audience by way of they they just want people want to see this videos and be entertained, so they're not really attached to the user. They just want to be entertained, like what you got to do for fifteen seconds in this or one minute in this video dance. But if you really want to get to know the nuts and bolts of the persons in their real life, then content platforms like fan base that allow people to post photos and videos and give you a more inside look at what's going on is where it's going to be at.
Speaker 3: But Twitter also because again it's the.
Speaker 2: Only evergreen social media platform in my opinion, every social media platform has a lifespan, right including fan mase who have a lifespan. So all these platforms are defined by the generation that use them. Twitter is defined by what's happening right now, like who won the game?
Speaker 3: Who got divorced? Who? What? What is what's going on in Congress? Like right now?
Speaker 2: So I think it's evergreen, and that's why a lot of young kids use Twitter. Like young people flock the Twitter. They're still like what's happening at the Yeah, that's what makes that's that's the genius. That's when I say every app you have that aha moment like oh this is like you know, this is like the dark night where if something happens, it's like multiple angles of what's going on. So this is my version of what happened. This is my version, and it all comes together and paints this picture of what what really happens. So I think it's I think it's a genius platform. Eli's gonna's gonna turn up on it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: He gonna make it pop, hes gonna he gonna put I think he's gonna bring those I said. I think he gonna bring Doge into Twitter. So if you got Doge, even though it's in the toilet right now, fall onto it. The Doge Father. Yeah, the Doge Father. I think he's gonna blow that up. But yeah, that's where you can That's where you can find me. Though I'm on fan base, y'all, but y'all should come to Fambly, y'all should start doing like we need to find a way to get y'all do some really dope audio rooms on fan Base. We'll find some ways a part of what y'all and maybe have some conversations with some people because I think people like to have access to Because we're about to launch, we're about to watch subscriber based audio rooms too, so I know, so people have to subscribe to get into your audio rooms. So if EYL wants to have subscriber based audio rooms and you have thousands of subscribers or hundreds of thousands subscribers to come in here, y'all talk, that's something we can do. We'll be the face of the campaign.
Speaker 9: Hey, I love it absolutely, Troy House, keep up.
Speaker 8: Shout everybody on fan base, Shout to everybody on that other company, you know, Shout everybody on patri you all our patrons, everybody in EYL University, all our earners, over twelve thousand people that are subscribed and executing on if it may, but not only that, passing it on to the next generation and changing lives forever. So shout out to all of y'all, Shout to everybody in the merch team, Shout out to the entire.
Speaker 3: Atlanta, the city of Atlanta.
Speaker 8: We are here, obviously, this is our second home, UH Studios, obviously looking impeccable. Uh so, shout out to Mike and Ben and Smitty our team down here.
Speaker 3: Love is love.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys rocking with us to see you next week.
Speaker 4: Peace, Peace, my graduates from my school being forced back. Drop Bag Drop, Mike Drop.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need