Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: It was a pretty stunning upset. Paramounts Guidance finally clinched the deal to buy Warner Brothers Discovery after a month's long bidding war with Netflix. The final price tag one hundred and ten billion dollars thirty one dollars a share.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just about the biggest quite a few years.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Chris Palmery said, that number is just so much bigger than other big media deals we've seen.
Speaker 3: Go back to Disney, Fox is around seventy eighty billion, So this is a big number. I was surprised because media values have declined in recent years, but the amount of this deal is dramatic.
Speaker 2: Back in December, Netflix had offered to buy the studio and its streaming business for nearly eighty three billion dollars, and Warner Brothers board accepted. It seemed like the end of the story, but it wasn't. When did the tides actually start to shift toward Paramount.
Speaker 1: Our reporting indicates it was Saturday, February twenty first.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Lucashaw says that's when Paramount CEO David Ellison called up Warner Brothers CEO David Zaslov And said, we've got an offer that's going to address all your remaining concerns.
Speaker 1: Paramount submit an offer that was really close to what Warner Brothers wanted, and people who are involved in the deal said that at that point they were on the five yard line.
Speaker 2: Paramount sky Dance has won a bidding war with Netflix over Warner Brothers Discovery. Paramount's persistence paid off.
Speaker 1: The board changed their mind money talks. They went to what they thought would get their shareholders paid the most, and as a result, get them paid the most.
Speaker 2: I'm Sarah Holder, and this is the big take from Bloomberg News today on the show The Anatomy of a Deal, Why Netflix bowed out, the regulatory hurdles that remain, and how these two big movie studios will become one. When the bidding war over Warner Brothers Discovery started in October of last year, we saw ever increasing offers from each side, endless negotiations, and a laundry list of powerful people getting involved, including President Trump. There was even some talk that Netflix may have walked away from the deal because of political pressure, but entertainment and media reporter Lucas Shaw who also writes the screen Time newsletter for Bloomberg, says it really came down to price.
Speaker 1: It was really a financial decision.
Speaker 2: Lucas got the first interview with Netflix co CEO Ted Sarandos after his company dropped out of the bidding war for Paramount.
Speaker 1: Ted was adamant that this had nothing to do with politics, despite a lot of the speculation, because he'd been in DC the week really the day that Netflix pulled out and had been to the White House, had met with the Department of Justice. They had put forth their best and final offer at the in early December, and that Paramount kept revising its offer. David Ellison had made it clear that not only was he coming over the top here, but that he would continue to bid more and that they viewed him as an irrational buyer.
Speaker 2: So Netflix walked away, but not empty handed. The company got a big breakup fee from Paramount and a bump and share price from investors who weren't totally sold on the plan to buy Warner Brothers in the first place.
Speaker 3: There's talkers up and they got paid two point eight billion, which will make you a lot of Adam Sandler movies pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Entertainment and telecom reporter Chris Palmery.
Speaker 3: People often say that's best deals are the ones you never do. I think that's certainly the case in Netflix.
Speaker 2: So Lucas going back in time a little bit, Why has everyone wanted Warner Brothers Discovery? These two of studios Netflix and Paramounts Guidance have spent a lot of time, a lot of energy, and a lot of money to acquire it. What made it worth fighting for so hard?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a rare asset, right. Warner Brothers is one of, if not the most productive studio in Hollywood. If you look across film and television, it's kind of year after year, probably the number two or three movie studio after Disney. It's television studio produces some of the most popular shows in the world, Ted lassa Abbat Elementary. It's the home of Friends and Big Bang Theory. It's got HBO, which is both a great brand and a library of hit programs, And so I think people always see potential in that it's never really been realized by one of these owners. People try to figure out how to better position HBO as a competitor to Netflix, how to use the studio, and it hasn't quite panned out, but it doesn't stop people from always wanting to try, because there are only so many studios you can buy.
Speaker 2: Unique as Warner Brothers may be. Chris says it was surprising to see David Ellison put his hat in the ring to try and buy it because he'd only recently taken over Paramount. Ellison's company, Skydance Media, announced it would take control of the studio for eight billion dollars in twenty twenty four. The deal took nearly a year to finalize after going through regulatory hurdles and FCC approval.
Speaker 3: David Ellison fought a very hard fought battle to take control of Paramount and just close on that deal in August of last year, and literally a month later he was bidding for Warner Brothers staggering amount of work to you know, consolidate Paramount and then to try to buy an even bigger company. And so nineteen dollars a share was his first offer. There was eight or nine offers since then. That steady drum beat. I mean it was a multi pronged attack, if you will, on the Netflix deal by David Ellison in Paramount They went to shareholders and they said, you know, there should be a bidding war here. We're offering more. That deal isn't good. You know. They went to politicians and played every card they could in that department.
Speaker 2: David Elison went to the White House, he went overseas.
Speaker 3: Meeting the President, meeting with regulators, everyone.
Speaker 2: You can imagine, you gave us some context for that one hundred and ten billion dollar figure, just how big that is in the scale of other media company deals. But is there a danger that they're overpaying?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've joked many times that I don't know if you think it's a joke, but this company is like the King Tut's Tomb of corporate world because everyone that touches it has sort of cursed. You think about AOL buying it at and t buying it, then the Discovery merger. None of those deals have worked, and so this is going to be a major challenge. The story will not be over by September thirtieth, or whenever they hope to close this deal. It's going to be major consolidation. We've never really seen consolidation of two Hollywood studios like this. This is a situation where you'll have two separate studio lots, Paramount and Warner, two separate movie studios, different people heading those. That's not really been the case ever, so we'll have to see how that works. Major consolidation in the cable networks. So you know, this is now a business that will stretch from MTV and HGTV, CBS, I mean, just a huge television arm that's facing major challenges because of the meltdown of traditional TV. And then this consolidation, which is really what this is all about, the streaming business. So HBO Max and Paramount Plus becomes one. You know, they'll still be facing five or six other major competitors. Can they make that work? Can they make that payoff?
Speaker 2: It's a lot of work ahead to pay for Warner Brothers. The Ellison family and their partner, Redbird Capital have pledged to invest forty seven billion dollars in the deal. Some of that money will likely come from other equity partners, including three Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds identified in public filings. And then there's the debt.
Speaker 3: They're taking on an enormous amount of debt, well north of seventy billion dollars to complete this transaction.
Speaker 1: Pocket change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's not nothing. Well, Lucas we talked about how adamant Netflix was that politics wasn't behind their decision to stand down here. But as we mentioned before, Paramount CEO David Ellison was lobbying hard for President Trump support, and Trump wasn't shy about rooting for Paramount in this s bidding war. So I'm wondering if you think politics had any influence on the outcome of this deal.
Speaker 1: I think Trump had pretty minimal influence. Where politics had the most influence was on the Warner Brothers shareholders. Right after Warner Brothers announced it deal with Netflix, what the Allisons did really effectively was kind of rally a bunch of other people to oppose the deal and be concerned about it. That was senators, that was Republican attorneys general. They certainly worked the Department of Justice, and even you know figures in hollywo They really scared about the deal. And so all of this, this feeling that the Netflix deal would face a stiff review, whether it was in the US or Europe, spooked a lot of Warner Brothers shareholders who were just saying, I want my money now, like, get me as much money as quickly as possible. Let's get out of this, and they started to make a lot of noise and put pressure on the Warner Brothers board. So though I think Trump and politics played a factor in a lot of the decision making it, it was strongest with influencing Warner Brothers shareholders, who then in turn influenced the Warner Brothers board.
Speaker 2: After the break, what will it take to bring these two big studios together? Past mergers might hold some answers, plus how the deal could impact the news and content you watch in stream. The bidding war is over and Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw and as Paul Mary told me, that now comes the even harder part combining Paramount's Guidance and Warner Brothers Discovery into one mega studio.
Speaker 1: There's a tremendous amount of overlap. They both own film and TV studios, they both own cable networks, they both own streaming services. There is very little that one does that the other doesn't do, which is why it's a kind of widely held belief that this will result in thousands of job losses. Paramount, when they initially were talking about their deal, I think touted about six billion dollars in synergies. Some people think it might be even higher. Exactly what that's going to look like remains to be seen. Right, Are they going to keep Paramount and Warner Brothers as independent labels as studios are combined them? They're going to say that they're independent and that they're going to increase output in both places. The history of mergers suggests that they will in fact curtail output over time, but they have to say they're going to boost it to get it approved. Same deal on the TV studio side with the TV networks, I assume it's going to be a bloodbath. They're just going to fire a ton of people and merge all those to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, David Elisson has really pounded the table and said they're going to make more content, more movies, more TV shows. It's going to be a giant, unwieldy conglomerate with all of these different parts competing for attention and for money. Whether that translates into more content or they ultimately put pressure onto cut costs and maybe less choice for us.
Speaker 2: You mentioned looking at history to kind of serve as a guide to how a merger like this might play out. What is the track record of these types of massive media mergers when you combine something like Warner Brothers and Paramount piss.
Speaker 1: Poor would be the answer. There has never been one of these deal. These deals don't work, right. I mean, I just look at the history of Warner Brothers. Right, time Warner merged with AOL kind of textbook example of one of the worst mergers in the history of business. Forget just the entertainment business. Time Warner sells to AT and T that didn't work very well. Warner Media merges with Discovery that doesn't work very well. Brings us to this point. There just are not a lot of examples, at least in the entertainment business, of multi billion dollar deals that worked out well for the acquirer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if the track record of these kinds of media mergers is so disastrous, is his poor. As Lucas said, why keep trying Hubri's ego?
Speaker 3: You know, if you're struggling and you've tried everything else, cutting costs, you know, spending on these rights or this rights, then the idea of just oh I'll just bulk up. It'll be so much easier if I just buy them. I think that's compelling argument that people can make to themselves, and consultants make to them, and bankers make to them. But ultimately I think there's a lot of ego in this as well.
Speaker 2: We touched on the regulatory pressure and Netflix Warner Brothers merger may have encountered. What about Paramount Warner Brothers. What does a regulatory landscape look like there?
Speaker 1: Well, by a lot of traditional metrics, the Paramount Deiald is actually worse from a regulatory perspective, or one that would be more likely to face scrutiny because you're combining like assets, right, So you're combining two movie studios, it creates one movie studio that would have north of twenty percent market share. More than likely you're combining a bunch of cable networks, and then you add in some of the less consumer facing ones. But more the monopsy the ecosystem, it's impact on suppliers. It's going to be one of, if not the biggest producer of film and television in the world, and so what kind of market power will it have over writers and directors.
Speaker 2: And how might that regulatory scrutiny play out over the next few months.
Speaker 1: It seems pretty clear that the Department of Justice is not going to go after this deal. They've sort of already breezed through a lot of it. They may have to resubmit what they're doing, but nobody's expecting the DOJ to file suit against it. The main questions are in Europe and with state attorneys general from democratic states, you know. I think in Europe there will be a review and there might need to be kind of one or two changes made, maybe a divestment or two, but nobody's expecting it to block the full deal. I think you could see state attorneys general try to block the whole deal. Whether they'll be successful is sort of anyone's guests. I think more likely there would need to be some remedies, sort of like in Europe, Lucas.
Speaker 2: If this goes through, a lot of viewers are worried about how this might impact the content they consume. For example, if we look at news media, Paramount already owns CBS. Allison hired Barry Weiss to be CBS's editor in chief, and she's been critical of mainstream media outlets, accusing them of liberal bias. She's opposed to cancel culture views that make her popular with conservatives, and she's already clashed with some in the newsroom over editorial direction and concerns that she's willing to appease the Trump administration. What does it mean for the news landscape in the US if Paramount now also owns CNN.
Speaker 1: That one's hard to say, because I don't sense that David Ellison is spending a significant amount of his time thinking about the news business. It's not his number one priority. He's been more focused on film and television and entertainment. Obviously, the big concern that some people have is that because the Ellison's, in particular Larry Ellison, is close to Donald Trump and Republican politicians, that those sort of tilt CNN more to the right. They have not said anything to suggest that they're going to do that, but it's understandable why people would be concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Recently, in an interview with CNBC, David Ellison tried to reassure journalists at CNN, saying that quote, editorial independence will absolutely be maintained.
Speaker 1: The comment certainly didn't surprise me. He's going to say whatever he needs to do to sort of appease and mollify folks. CBS News was not a centerpiece of his strategy for Paramount, nor is CNN going to be a centerpiece of his strategy for Warner Brothers. It is a nice asset to buy, but if you told him that he could buy it without CNN, I'm sure he'd be happy to do that.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about media consolidation broadly in this country, but there's also been consolidation of the media happening under the Ellison family. I'm wondering what completing this deal would mean for the Ellison's power and influence over the media business in the US.
Speaker 1: I mean, it puts them in charge of one of the largest and most powerful media empires in the world, two studios, dozens of TV networks, two major streaming services, you know, by kind of any measurement, but in terms of revenue, in terms of market cap, in terms of streaming subscribers. It makes them the owners of one of the three to five biggest media companies in the world.
Speaker 3: And of course Oracle just investment in TikTok as well. So certainly part of this narrative that there's a sort of a broader, more conservative takeover of the mainstream media. And I guess you can argue whether that's good or bad depending on your politics, but many people have made the case that the Paramount is moving in that direction.
Speaker 1: To Chris's point, what are David Elson's plans for this massive company that he's now in charge of? I mean, he went from running, you know, a relatively small business and guidance the leveling up and running a much bigger business in Paramount, and now he's going to be on top of something tens of thousands employees. It's just unlike anything he's done before.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Take from Bloomberg News. I'm Sarah Holder. To get more from The Big Take and unlimited access to all of Bloomberg dot com, subscribe today at Bloomberg dot com slash podcast offer. If you liked this episode, make sure to subscribe and review The Big Take wherever you listen to podcasts. It helps people find the show. Thanks for listening. We'll be back tomorrow