Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday Dan and the Dane's Dan Patrick Show. Greg Anthony, former NBA player, now an analyst for NBA TV. We'll look back on what happened last night and out of these teams, Golden State or the Celtics, who has the best chance to come back?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: You also have the Nuggets are ten point underdogs at the thunder Pacers at the Cabs. The Pacers are seven and a half point underdogs, but the Nicks beat the Celtics up three games to one. Still waiting word on an update on Jason Tatum's health, whether it's an ankle or an achilles.
Speaker 4: Either way doesn't look.
Speaker 2: Promising for him to be able to play Dallas Mavericks win the NBA Lottery and let the conspiracy theorists have their day. It's rigged a fresh gasoline on the it's rigged fire, generational talent going to a good franchise, and maybe it's seen was a little too perfect. But I always say, why would the NBA do this? Because since twenty ten, the NBA has done a really bad job. If they're going to fix their lotteries. The number one pick has landed in a true big market city four times so since twenty ten. Washington in twenty ten, Philly, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, Atlanta last year. The rest places like Minnesota and Cleveland, Orlando, New Orleans not exactly primetime destinations. But Zion Williamson, it's supposed to go to New York, he ends up in New Orleans. And I know some lottery results feel suspicious. You can go to Lebron going to Cleveland. You can also go Dereck Rose going to his hometown in Chicago. You know, somehow Tim Duncan ends up with the San Antonio Spurs instead of the Celtics. But then I always say, when't you want him with the Celtics not the San Antonio Spurs. But we have that feeling it, you know occasionally when there is that Marquee talent, when you go hmm, things that make you go hmmm, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: But the thing with the Lebron draft going to the Cavaliers. The Kevlaries were awful that season. I think won maybe seventeen or eighteen games, so it wasn't like they won thirty nine games and got the number one pick.
Speaker 2: No, but he went to his They allowed the NBA allowed the Cavaliers to openly tank, and they've acknowledged that they were tanking. John Lucas was the head coach. I believe back then they tanked to get Lebron. I understand if you can do it, then I would do it. If I can tank, I know that everybody's like, well, what about the integrity of the game. The integrity of my franchise is what I care about, and if that's the case, then you can't complain about anybody else if they happened to tank as well. I don't know if there is a great solution that it's going to appease everybody. We've come up with different scenarios. I still like that the more games you win once you're eliminated from the playoffs, maybe that's how.
Speaker 4: We should do the draft lottery.
Speaker 2: Encourage teams to continue to play hard even if they're not that good. Or you could have a final four bottom four teams that they play for the number one pick. I'm waiting to see and PAULI brought this up. I didn't even think of it. If you're the NFL, wouldn't you love to have four teams and you're going to have one night to see who's going to have the number one pick in the NFL draft. I mean, imagine the programming. Here's another week that you'll own leading up to this. Four teams going to be there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The problem is it'll go from four to six to eight and then go to ten and twelve. But if you did it, I'm surprised the NFL, and I'm sure they've thought of that. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. By the way, for one hundred and fifty years, greatness has been crowned. Here the oldest tradition or one of the oldest ones in sports, the Preakness Stakes live on NBC. Peacock coming up this weekend. All right, so Pacers Cabs Game five, Nuggets Thunder game five as well, and watching last night Golden State trying to put up a good fight. They didn't steal either one of these games, and they'll be pretty much done, I think after the next game. Here's Steve Kerr, the Warriors head coach, on playing without Steph Curry.
Speaker 6: The series changed with Steph's injury so everybody's shots are going to be more difficult. There's just you know, Steph's the guy who breaks the defense down for us and creates that offensive flow. And I think the end result is that shots are more difficult for every single guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can see it, you know, Jimmy Butler, You're you're hoping you're getting playoff Jimmy, and you didn't. I wonder is Jimmy on the team next year? Is Draymond Green on the team next year? How is Steph Curry's career going to end? This one felt like this is the last gasp because they have young talent. I just don't think they developed that young talent. Remember James Wiseman, they had the number two pick in the draft. I don't even know if he's on a roster anymore. And they really whiffed on that. That's where, you know, go back to the Celtics in the eighties. They had Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. They were ready for those guys to help an older roster with Bird McHale and Parish, Danny Ainge and Dennis Johnson. They had done a great job well, both of those players die, but they were set up to carry that dynasty for another ten years. And therefore you could have Bird McHale and Parish an older roster, but you had these younger guys coming in.
Speaker 4: That's what you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to get, that mix that allows established stars younger players who eventually, you know, take the baton. It didn't happen with Golden State. All right, we'll get some phone calls in here. Eight seven seven three DP show Joe in Utah. Good morning, Joe, it's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Taking my call.
Speaker 8: I'm a one five and a sneaky five foot four, so long, long time jazz fan.
Speaker 7: I hate conspiracy theories and getting caught up in this one. You know, it would just be pointless. What's done is done.
Speaker 9: I'm just serious and sick.
Speaker 5: About the process.
Speaker 7: Because the Jazz rebuild story, it's painful.
Speaker 10: And now, because the NBA's cute little draft process, a hopeful paying fan base gets pushed back into the bottom dwelling eighty two game black hole.
Speaker 9: I want to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I love you guys, love what you do. Thank you, Thank you. Joe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know Utah's going all right? Come on, he'd love to have Cooper flag here. Putting with Laurie Markenen. All right, it's a start. Or if you're Washington, DC, you're like, oh, we finally are going to get our guy. Nobody's going to be laughing at us now, Charlotte, Yeah, we don't need Michael Jordan.
Speaker 4: We're going to get Cooper Flag. We're going to keep him in Carolina.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marrin.
Speaker 5: The Wizards were already ready to make like a big poster of Cooper flag around all the American flags at the mall down in DC. They were already the American flag.
Speaker 4: He is the true American flag. He would have been.
Speaker 2: They could have changed their uniforms like Cooper flag would look like the flag pole, and then they would have the flag on the uniform the flag pole.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I just checked.
Speaker 11: Cooper Flag won't be nineteen until midway through the season, a month into the NB season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to be Let's say he is a really good player. He's a really good all just really good, really good player, really good player. He is going to make.
Speaker 4: A billion dollars being really good, not great, but.
Speaker 2: Let's say he's great. Okay, just for argument's sake, he's great. My mind is still in parsing, you know, great.
Speaker 4: Good, really good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's on me. But you're nineteen, you get your rookie deal done, then what are you going to be? Twenty three, twenty two to twenty three, and then you get your next deal and that'll be you'll be twenty seven, twenty eight, and then you'll get your next deal, and then that'll be you'll be around thirty three, and then if you get another deal after that, gonna make a billion dollars, yeah, pulling.
Speaker 11: Front Office Sports has an article projecting the NBA salary cap max contracts, and in this second contract, at age twenty three, Cooper Flag could make five years, three hundred and ninety eight million dollars. Yeah, I can round up to four million.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you get two of those. Now we're knocking on the door at eight hundred million. Second one's gonna be bigger.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 2: We're not that far away from somebody getting one hundred million dollars in a season. Marvin in La, Hi, Marvin, thanks for holding what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: What's hey, guys? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Marvin?
Speaker 12: Five to ten two o seven. So I have a suggestion that that will helped the integrity of the draft. So what I suggest is that the team that makes it to the NBA Conference Finals, the team the losing team with the best record gets the first pick. The other team gets a second pick, and then you go into order from the teams in the playoff, and then the team that won the championship, maybe we get the last pick, and then the losing team will get the second to last pick.
Speaker 11: Did you did you follow that he's rewarding the better bad teams, which kind of happened last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you want all the other teams in there because you want all that publicity in all of those cities of the chances of you know, winning the lottery.
Speaker 4: You don't want just three or four.
Speaker 2: I mean tuning in to watch Utah, Washington, DC or Charlotte. That's not that's not big numbers there. You got all these teams now that everybody has a chance. Who's representing this team there and having covered the lottery before hosting the lottery before, Man, there's a there's a lot of build up, a lot of fun, and that's what they want. They want the excitement of that. Zach and Knoxville, Hi, Zach, what's on your mind.
Speaker 7: Adp, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 8: Heat and yesterday said he wanted to be an NBA insider and who should have just chandled his inner gimme Jimmerson and said, I'm hearing because I'm hearing that Copper Flag might not have as much of an impression on the game as Stephen Curry, but Niko Harrison thinks he's a generational talent. I'm just that's just what I'm hearing. But to ask a question to you, how much of Steph's injury do you think is diminishing what Anthony Edwards is doing right now?
Speaker 9: Because he was.
Speaker 8: The he was the star killer knocking off KD, knocking off Lebron this year and he's playing really well and we don't seem to be talking about him enough.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he did this last year as well. I just said that he's got star power. He's on the short list. There's probably ten players in the NBA that have star power, and there's a difference in your your talent or you know what those numbers are, and people coming out to see you. Anthony Edwards wonderful player to watch. You know, we were talking about this. You can be a great actor that doesn't mean you're, you know, going to have a big box office number. Now, Paul Giamatti's a great actor, you're not putting his There's no movie poster on your wall with Paul Giamani whereas Tom Cruise not nearly the actor that Paul Giamoni is, but when it comes to the box office, nobody's bigger than him. You know, Denzel has both, Leonardo DiCaprio has both. I mean, there's only a couple of these actors. And that's what I was bringing up with Jason Tatum. He's a great player, first ballot, Hall of Famer. Hope he comes back in the series. I was rooting for Boston to be able to go to the finals again. I don't want the Celtics to look like the Atlanta Braves of the nineties, where you go, how many titles did they win? You know, fifteen years from now, we go, how many titles they win one? Because we look at the Braves, even though they won their division every year, they weren't. We looked at them as a disappointment, like they only won one. With three Hall of Fame pitchers and a Hall of Fame third baseman.
Speaker 4: That's hard to do.
Speaker 2: Hard to win that much, but then hard to not win at least a couple more World Series titles. And I love to see dynasties and I love to see a great team, you know, pay that off. Like I'm disappointed with the Cavs because of the injuries we're not able to see. And now it's easy to say, well, you know, as Chris Russo said last time, or eh, they're just built for the regular season. Well, they got all these injuries, like Boston has an injury with Jason Tatum, Donovan Mitchell's been banged up, Evan Mobley, Darius Garland. So I mean, let's be fair here. It's not pick and choose when it comes to these injuries. Golden State without Steph Curry, that's a headless horse right there. And they don't have a chance or very little chance here. And I thought the previous game, not last night, previous one, if they stole it, then maybe you could extend this to seven games. But that doesn't look like that's going to happen. Jimmy in Chicago, Hi, Jimmy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 13: Then my take on what debunks the NBA Draft conspiracy theory ninety three, Sea web going number one to Golden State instead of Orlando. Imagine if you know, if he team to a check, that'll be one of the best front course ever. And also twenty eighteen NBA Draft, the Bulls drafted Wendell Carter at seven. They passed on Shay Gilders at eleven as well as in twenty twenty this is and this is crazy they took Patrick Williams number four instead of Tyreese Halliburn at number twelve.
Speaker 7: Out of those two guys, who.
Speaker 3: Would you rather have?
Speaker 13: And also a quick bonus question, does Tom Cruise ever win Best Actor for Best Doctor?
Speaker 4: That's Oscar?
Speaker 7: That's a doctor for Oscar.
Speaker 4: No, he doesn't. And Chris Webber went to Orlando.
Speaker 2: They traded him, and then you know they picked up Penny Hardaway, so she Webb went was going to Orlando. But Pat Williams, the GM is like, you know, I want Penny Penny Hardaway and then see where I went to Golden Stick. All right, we'll take a break. See more phone calls coming up. Eight seven to seven three DPSIA still working on our celebrity family feud. Just make sure we have the lineup ready. We're going to have some practice sessions. I think we should get here really early. I think there should be some yoga. I think there's I think we should get in a right frame of mind. And then Thursday night, my birthday. I think we get after it a little bit in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Is that good?
Speaker 2: I think we need to find a restaurant and we celebrate, celebrate my birthday.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvel, kind of like the place we went to in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: What's the one we went to a New Orleans?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, no, you sure there was a lot going on in there.
Speaker 5: I know the brgs like Marvin, you turn your head that fast in my life.
Speaker 2: There there's a whole lot going on with the waitresses in that place.
Speaker 4: I think the food was good. I don't really remember.
Speaker 2: I just know Todd did is let me ask fifteen questions to this woman as she kept leaning down with cleavage spilling out over the table.
Speaker 5: I was very clumsy. I started dropping stuff left and right. I'm usually not that clumsy.
Speaker 2: All right, Greg Anthony will join us coming up on loan from NBA TV. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 15: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 15: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind them, stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 15: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 14: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 15: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 14: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Update the poll results. More phone calls coming up. Greg Anthony part of the broadcast team CABS Pacers semifinal series and he'll be there with the Jared Greenberg Spiroddish Game five tips off tonight, Cleveland at seven eastern on TNT, True TV and Max. Good to see again, Greg, How are you?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 15: Dan?
Speaker 3: How are you man? Happy birthday? I hear is coming out? Yeah, gonna be fifty five. What's going on?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know the game is limited now. I'm just a free throw in not not free throw extended anymore. But don't let me open. I'll hit a free throw. That's about.
Speaker 3: I love it, all right?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So I had some things to say about Jason Tatum, and uh, we probably had ten minutes fifteen minutes on the show we were talking about him, and then you put out a tweet kind of asking me, how could I come up with this or come to this conclusion about Jason Tatum. I feel bad talking about him where his season could be over. So I just want to paraphrase something here. I think he's a first ballance Hall of Famer. I think he's a great player. I just don't think he's a star. Is the point that I've been trying to make, Like Trey Young is a star, Anthony Edwards a star, Luca is a star, Steph Curry's a star. I'm talking about I'm going to go out of my way to watch Gilgis is not a star. I think he's a great player and will be the MVP. You can make a case Joker is not a star that you tune in to watch him play. That was the point that I've tried to make with Jason Tatum. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and a great, great player. I just I think you tune in or you would go out of your way to see the Celtics, not Jason Tatum.
Speaker 3: That's a fair attestment from your perspective, because I do think and ask that you're saying he's not box office. No there, and there have been a lot of the greatest players you've ever played who weren't box office. So I look at Tim Duncan was not box office. Yes, fair right, like, so we get that, and I don't have an issue with that, and sometimes that's the difficult part, often as with sound bites and tidbits, because I didn't have the opportunity to kind of listen to your context, and so from what I heard, I was like, Wow, Now I would push back a little because I actually do think Jason Tatum is a star. I do think he's somewhat under appreciate it, and I think part of it is just the dynamic of the culture we live in is that we've got to push the envelope on all these guys, and then we're having this conversation after what just transpired last night when he was having a monster game, although they were probably still going to lose that game based on how things are trending at the end, and you just hate to see it happen to him because I also think the irony of that is he's one of the highest character guys we have in our league. He's one of the most accountable guys we have in our league, and he's been one of the most successful. I mean, if you go look at perspective since he came into the league, he's played at more conference finals, he's won a championship. This will be his fourth consecutive first team all NBA. So I would tend to say I think Jokers a star. So that's just in a disagreement. That's more semantics, right, that's not necessarily saying they're not great players. But I again, as a basketball nut, I would pay to see both of them. Right, But then again, you know, i'd go pay the C two lottery teams play if I had to. I'm just a fan of the game, so I could definitely appreciate where you're coming.
Speaker 2: From speaking of the lottery, okay, with it the format.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know what, Dan, this is my philosophy on life. No matter what we have in place, what the system is, people are gonna complain because just like human beings, nobody's perfect. There is no such and we struggle with it all the time. So I try to focus more on the end result than just the minutia of the process, like too many people want to, because you can nitpick any process. And I'll give you a perfect example. Let's look at the national championship game we just had with the final four in basketball, and then with the championship in the NCAA for football. I was really happy with the end result. I thought the final four, you had the four best teams, right, you didn't have in the championship game, had no five star kids, you had no want and done kids. The ratings were through the roof, and we'll instead of us focusing on man, we got ultimately what we wanted. We want to get caught up in the drugs of the process. There is no perfect process. How many remember you're old enough to remember when there was thirty two teams in the NCAA tournament. You're old enough. We're old enough to remember when you didn't have a playoff for college football. And with each process that they changed it, the complaints never diminished. We still that's what we do in America. Man, we just want to complain. It doesn't matter what the system is, how well is functioning. So I look, I have no problem with it. It creates excitement. I was against the play in when they first introduced it. I think it was one of the best things ever happened to our league because it does it's helped to eliminate tanking. That's one of those words that's taboo in sports. Right. We don't talk about tanking that much anymore in the NBA. And there was a time, as you know, well, we discussed it that nauseam, so I'm fine with it. I mean, how about the irony with the Mavericks getting the pick? And I sent Nico a text last night congratulating him because he's caught a lot of hell. And listen, you had to assume you're going to catch a lot of hell when you trade a star of the magnitude of a Luca Dancis who took you to the finals a year prior. So yeah, I'm a fan of it. I think you want to try to make the game as healthy as possible and not turn your fan base collectively off. And this is one way that I think it's been a positive.
Speaker 2: Talking to Greg Anthony NBA on TNT an Let's spend eleven seasons in the NBA and won the title UNLV back in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: Let me go back to Luca.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why Nico wouldn't leak it that there is the possibility Luca could be available, because it feels like you could have gotten a little bit more, maybe a lot more, like I would have insisted Austin Reeves was in the trade. Like I just I and I don't know why Dallas you know wouldn't ask for that, but you could have gotten other teams who probably would have come up with a lot better trade proposal, don't you think.
Speaker 3: Well, there's two things you got to consider. One, think about the backlash he's faced since the trade went down. If you leaked that and it gets out, I think you create more problems than solutions. That's just the reality, and that's my perspective. But I don't think you can leak that. And it's easy to Monday morning quarterback for all of us to say what they could or could not have got. I think what you got to focus in on, Okay, what is the objective because a case in point, you could have gotten four first or five first round picks, but they're objective was to win now. Kyrie Irving's best basketball. Hopefully he's going to recover and he can still play at his heights, but he's not going to be better for the moving forward. Right, You've got a small window to win now. So he wanted to match the timeline when after the trade was made of his two best players, and so that's why I think he went the route he did well. Everybody can second guess it after the fact, but ultimately, listen, if they're healthy, that team would have been a better team than the Lakers just because of how they were built. Help plays a big role in it. It didn't materialize. Now you got the first pick, and now they're going to have more concerns and questions because I'm a huge Cooper Flag fan, But does he fit their timeline?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: You know, can you win like this? This is a better situation. But there's some similarity if you go back to when the Warriors drafted James Wiseman with the second pick, there was a lot of talk about, hey, should we move off the pick, and in that case probably would have made more sense because I think there was a lack of consensus on just how good James Wiseman was. You know, that was more of a Kwame Brown scenario from the standpoint that you know, you took him based on the potential, but he wasn't as certain. He wasn't a proven commodity that I think Cooper Flag is, and so there's gonna be some concern and or consideration. I would assume you're at least gonna listen to see ultimately what can transpire, because again, you want to have a chance to compete at the highest level now, and getting that first pick creates a lot more leverage for Nico Harrison and the MAVs than they had going into that littery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you got a two year window with Kyrie and Ad It feels like in their prime. Hopefully both are going to be healthy or ish. Cooper Flag's not gonna be nineteen until in the season, and what can you expect from him. You got some big guys. Christie's good. You know, he's a good addition for them.
Speaker 5: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: You know the timeline there, uh, maybe not syncing up. But would you trade Anthony Davis and Cooper Flag for Luca?
Speaker 3: Would I trade Anthony David? That's a tough question. Luca for Luca. Well, I think a lot of it is relative to who I am, what I have when I make that deal.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm joking doubt but like and as this.
Speaker 3: You're saying, that's basically what happened. Yeah, Now, I would say that there's a lot of certainty with Luca. Listen, you know you're you got to build the right way around him. He's got to make a commitment to his body. You know, the different Nuggets were in a similar situation with with the Joker a few years ago. They went to him and said, look, we need you to commit to your body. That's how you commit to us. And he transformed his body. He's become became in much better shape. And I think there was maybe some conversations like that with Luca. Maybe it didn't go over well. I guarant to you the Lakers just had this conversation with him when they had their meeting with JJ and their their front office with de Linka, when they had that dinner the other night, you know, because I do think physically he's got to get in better shape. I think it's gonna behoove him too, and it is hard to do, but he's got to make that commitment to that organization if they want to have a chance to ultimately win a championship. There's a reason why Dallas like people can poopoor to get mad all at one of Deco. But the reality is physically, and we saw it defensively. He was a liability in that series and while they had other issues with the roster. As great as talent as he is, and I'm a huge look of doncis fan. I love the guy's skill set, you still need him to have to not at least be a liability. You don't have to be a plus defender, but you can't be a liability defensively, especially with his size. You know, it's one thing you got a small guard, but when you've got his size and physicality, he can have a much more packful place on the defense.
Speaker 2: For the Lakers, who let's say they win their series their respective series, who is more dangerous the pacers of the Knicks.
Speaker 3: As you get later in the playoffs, your best players ability to play against great teams, great defense becomes more relevant. So I would say, and let me say to preface if by saying this, DA, this is the first time since I've been in broadcasting, maybe even since I've been associated with the game, where I really felt like the final eight teams could all win it. I've never had that feel because generally, you know, you get an upset, you get a team or two in there, and look, you're like, oh, they don't really have a chance. But I really felt like, all things being equal, everybody healthy, everybody playing their best, that they all had a chance. Having said that, I love Indiana's team, I think They're really hard to defend because what they do is the hardest thing to do, which is the in the past. They play fast, they put a lot of pressure on you, and they're much improved defensive team. They were a top four team in the league since the first of the year. Having said that, you want a guy who he sawed last night with Brunson. You need a guy that can score against great defense. When you play a seven game series, you can't trick anybody. You're not bringing in new concepts. You're not gonna recreate how you play. We know what you do, you know what we do. And as you get later in the series, you gotta have guys that can go beat their man. They can win matchups and compromise your defense. And Jalen Brunson has consistently in the postseason has shown you he can do that. And they built that team to play the Celtics. They've got great positional side on the wings. Those guys are great two way players with anonob and Bridges, and while they don't have the depths, it hasn't been an issue for them as of yet, and so I would if those two teams end up meeting and right now the odds are looking that way, that both up three to one. I would give a slight edge to the Knicks because of that. Now, having said that, this Pacers team, they are really good. I thought they were the most underrated team in the postseason. They've proven that to be the case. They've been dominant in this series. Now, missus injuries, this, that, and the other, but they have dominated a team that have been dominant over the entire regular season. So you got to tip your hat to Rick Carlisle and his group.
Speaker 4: How do you think NBC is going to use Michael Jordan with their NBA coverage?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I was pumped to hear that, right. You know, in a lot of ways, he became Michael Jordan at NBC. Right. They both really benefited from that. That's where the game had as greate as growth to the likes of which we've never seen it. I've been really impressed with what they've done thus far. If you've seen the promo they put out not too long ago where they incorporated all of their broadcast talent and people involved with the network of peacause, I thought that was brilliant. It'll be I gotta believe that he's gonna They're gonna have to be able to go back to who he was as a player. I hope they do that. I don't think he's gonna be in the studio show. I don't think he's gonna be doing games, but I would like to hear his perspective and how he looks at today's crop of stars and just opposed that to what he dealt with. So I'm not sure how they're gonna use him, but I'll be tuning in, you know, obviously, as we all are, because of what he's meant to our game.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it's awesome that after all these years, he's at least going to let us the viewing public, have a little insight into his mindset and who he is. I think the last Dance helped with that, and I think this could be a further further in some of that.
Speaker 4: Has Reggie Miller ever admitted that he pushed off.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, multiple times he's admitted it, but yeah he did. But we we listen, we gave that gave away and and that was that game cost us. I think we lost that series. I mean, we beat them for the most part when we played against but yeah, that that one, that was haunting. I'm just glad I got to work the Bucks Pacers game when the Pacers did it to the Bucks. You know that that that kind of allowed me to purge some demons a little bit now because that was an amazing game, and I can It's funny in the moment, you know, you're such there's such shock when you actually go through it. You have no real perspective historically, right uh until well after So now on the outside looking in watching that materialize, Man, that is just it's still hard to imagine something like that could happen. Uh, and unfortunately happened to me. But but uh, Nick, But yeah, I'm glad that we now have something else to reference when it comes to historical comebacks. That's for sure.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. I hope you're doing well. Thanks for joining us, all right, Thank you, Dak, Greg Anthony part of the broadcast team Cavs Pacers Game five tonight that'll be on TNT, True TV and Max Take a break last call for phone calls what we learn once in store tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow, this day in sports history, all of that forthcoming each seven to seven, three DP Show Brent in Georgia.
Speaker 4: Hi Brent, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey? dB?
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Amen?
Speaker 7: Listen? I wanted to bring something to your attension, little food for thought. I feel like I've discovered a huge oversight in your strategy for celebrity family few that could be particularly detrimental to your team. Okay, so I know you guys were trying to figure out the lineup and elephant in the room is trying to hide Fritzy as best as possible, and that has been brought up that he needed to be on the end so that he wouldn't have to face the podium. But the caveat to that is, if by chance, you guys were tied at the very end, then Fritzy's going to go to a sudden death situation where he's the one and done. He has one answer, and it's all your whole game is relying on him. Do you want to put all your eggs in that one basket at that very moment? How would you manage my lineup. I think I would go you first, because you're you're the all Star. I think I'm going to go Marvin next, then Fritzy, then Scene, and then Pauli at the end.
Speaker 4: All right, well, thank you Brent.
Speaker 2: Once again, still shuffling the lineup. I got to look at the analytics here. Not quite sure you know what I'm going to do, but I could be comfortable with that.
Speaker 4: I could be.
Speaker 2: Maggie and Minneapolis him. Maggie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Well, what's going on?
Speaker 8: DP?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just had to take on, you know, the Michael Jordan's bit about his role with NBC. I know Mad Dog kind of mentioned how he you know, they may have just signed him and figured it out later. I would just say, man, mj is so crafted with what he wants to do with his image and his public words, and so I would say he had to sign that deal knowing what his role was going to be, and I'm excited to find out and also love love aunt. He's a star and everybody in Minnesota loves them and go Wolf.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Maggie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what Jordan's role is, and I did reach out to people who may have made that decision and didn't get an answer. But I respect the time frame that you're announcing. He's part of it. I don't know if you're kind of working out the details of that the fine fine print. Jason in Atlanta, Hi Jason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey Jas?
Speaker 4: Thank you Jays. This day in sports history, Paul I.
Speaker 5: Got a few for you.
Speaker 11: Mickey Mantle in nineteen fifty five hit four consecutive home runs in a game. Reggie Jackson nineteen eighty three became the first MLB player to strike out two thousand times in a career. Wayne Gretzky nineteen eighty nine. He hosted Center in It Live and at Yankee Stadium in nineteen ninety one, Fans sang Madonna song Like a Virgin to Jose Canseco random.
Speaker 2: He was dating Geting Madge at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Madge took down a couple of Yankees Alex Rodriguez, oh and Josie Conseko.
Speaker 11: Jose Canseco I found more on this story. He was caught by a tablet photographer walking out of her apartment at two am.
Speaker 4: Who hasn't been caught doing them. I mean Ama.
Speaker 2: Central Park West, if memory serves me correctly, in the sixties, not nineteen sixties. All right, saying some of us don't kiss and tell. Let's see Curtis in Illinois. Hi, Curtis, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Well in DP, Thanks for squeezing me in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just wanted to chime in on yesterday you were talking to how you'd take Cousins over Carr's career. I would disagree with that. My main reason behind it is Kirk Cousins has to would be in the luckiest quarterback in terms of the coaches Heath had. I feel like they squeezed every ounce of talent from being coached by the Shanahans to having McVeigh and then Matt Lafleur as his quarterback coach, and then even on the Minnesota Zimmer was a defensive guy, had Stefanski and then O'Connell with the kubi X.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, i've it's it's not going to come down to a decision anytime soon for anybody. But I don't know if any other show is doing the Derek Carr Kirk Cousins, who would you rather have? But we've kind of corner cornered the market on that strong though. I mean, yeah, I like when a topic bleeds over the next day or the day after that, like, hey, I didn't get in on Monday.
Speaker 4: I just want to bring this up and.
Speaker 2: Be like, all right, it's still still thinking on this one, though. I getchy still bothers me. I guess some Braves fans are upset because I said, you you you don't if you're Boston the Celtics, you don't want to come away from this era with one title, because I would love to see them get another title, just so it is a dynasty of sorts, because they've certainly given the appearance of that being the best team in the NBA for a little while.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: The Rabes won one title, they were unbelievable in the nineties. But three Hall of Famers in your pitching staff, a Hall of Famer at third base, and one World Series title. That'd be a disappointment, yes, Mark.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Marlins and the Braves had the same amount of titles in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 4: Wow, wow, Yeah, but the Marlins won two titles.
Speaker 5: Oh oh three? You're right, yes, but I've just made during that entire run of the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Marlin's like, Okay, I guess we'll won one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Marlins philosophy was every five years, you'd go, man, Marlin's pretty good, and then they would win, and then all of a sudden we wouldn't hear from them for the next four years.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mark, they have two World Series titles, and I'm almost certain they have no Division titles.
Speaker 4: Jeff, Jeff Conine and mister Marlin. Yeah, yes, Paul.
Speaker 11: The Florida Marlins now Miami Marlins have made the playoffs four times in thirty three years. Two of those times they won the World Series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about that.
Speaker 2: Stat of the day has been brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Let's go around the room. What we learn on the program. Back left, Fritzie.
Speaker 17: Chris Medo Russa doesn't think there's a conspiracy with the NBA lottery result, but it's a very bad look and raises eyebrows.
Speaker 2: Very bad look out of you, uh, Satan, Sure it's their daddy, A bad look out of that. Not really, he is a little bit of a conspiracy guy. He's dipping his toes in a little bit, Marvin, how about you.
Speaker 5: Greg Anthony says Reggie Miller admitted to pushing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, you watched that video, Reg knocks him down. Paulie, what did.
Speaker 4: You learn the Brays caught as straight today?
Speaker 2: Todd?
Speaker 4: What did I learn on today's program?
Speaker 17: Greg Anthony loves how the Pacers play fast and improve their d but he still gives us flight as to Brunson and the Knicks if they meet in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 2: Finals, Oh, our play sure to serve you. Hope you have a great day, everybody. Thanks for allowing us into your live for Fritzie Seaton, Marv Pauli hears truly, We'll talk to you tomorrow.