Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast more strange than a Sissler.
Speaker 2: Fever dream from the Chris Westling podcast studio, It's Around the NFL. My name is Dan Heads and I got heroes here, Greg Rosendal, Mark Sessler and them Feva.
Speaker 1: Dreams and to my right.
Speaker 2: During the regular season, it was Wednesdays with Connie Connie. Now it is not Tuesdays with Maury. Tuesdays with Connie, Colleen Wilf. It's way more fun, way more fun than a Mitch album. Page Turner, Hello, Hey, you had a great idea off seasons rapidly approaching.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, I love.
Speaker 4: The off season summer of Connie's almost sure.
Speaker 2: Sure the idea of us just dedicating an episode to breakups in.
Speaker 4: Our personal life breakup stories because we were just telling some off air and they were quite amusing.
Speaker 5: I think that'd be good, and we have a little NFL hook to it, you know, there's some breakup that week and then we dive in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, gotta be careful how you you know, label the person that you were talking like high school years, right, These could be alien, sure, they could be adults with children. At this point, you don't want to revisit that in the If they're listeners.
Speaker 4: They don't have to be our person. It could be like a friend crazy breakup.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of breakup.
Speaker 5: Stories where his ex girlfriends are listening to the show on a regularly not entirely untrue.
Speaker 1: You have women that you've dated that are listening right now. I have evidence of one.
Speaker 6: Wow, not religiously and probably turned off by the whole concepts.
Speaker 3: Like the off seasons here go ahead?
Speaker 1: Is this camp happiness r? Sessler?
Speaker 6: No, it would be posted by the lake that had multiple errors, but it would be posts that in general.
Speaker 1: Pearl Jim just put out verses. I think we'll see name the doctors on top of the world.
Speaker 5: Save it for the I mean, Dan and I haven't even had our our spouses ever listened to the show. And Mark Scott his camp Happiness girl still still checking in daily. She's like, Oh, I can't wait to hear about the Steelers offensive coordinator higher What Mark has to say?
Speaker 1: Not sure it's continually If that's the word you just use, can we get can we have around the show for that episode? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would, I'd be happy to check. I don't think there's any ill will at this point. Again, I think anyone that I dated from back then has like, you know, four children at this point and is a completely different person.
Speaker 1: No hard feelings good.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming maybe if you get under it the old sestom, maybe you buried him and then you get a little bit deep and you realize there are issues still there.
Speaker 5: Four children each. I mean, Mark only liked him if they were fertile.
Speaker 1: He's like that. The first thing I ask you stop.
Speaker 2: Speaking of uh, you know, art, hard talks and digging into the emotional emotional side of things. A little later in today's show, we're going to give some pep talk boks, some heart to hearts, some tough talks to those who need them. Colleen, how confident one to ten are you with the understanding of today's.
Speaker 4: Well, you just said pep talks, and when you texted us you said tough conversations.
Speaker 1: And sometimes a pep talk is a tough conversation. Okay, But I asked for.
Speaker 6: Clarific I am often in her world about I'm driving around having no CONCEPTENCEE and I are aligned on this. We are, and like I I actually had asked for clarification.
Speaker 2: Can I offer a clarify that as as host, Colleen is often a little confused about where to take it. Mark's all funnel to the same place, Like it doesn't matter how clear the explanation.
Speaker 6: We said, like I want to I want to make sure I'm trying to meet what your vision was, and you said any I think anything goes basically so it's just a conversation.
Speaker 1: It's just right, Well, somehow will go wrong. I have a feeling I'll let you very confident.
Speaker 2: I feel confident that if you feel confident, we'll all be confident that this segment went well.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be great.
Speaker 1: All right, but.
Speaker 2: Before we do that, and by the way, today's show is presented by DraftKings, Nice bang.
Speaker 6: I'd also mention one thing because I think that people think that we have these easy jobs where here we know no it just you come in and you just talk about sports. It's like all four of us simultaneously on our laptops are dealing with what I would call like a.
Speaker 1: It's like a category eight like I would.
Speaker 2: Issue if if imagine for those old enough, if Y two K actually happened.
Speaker 1: That's what we're dealing with. And it's and I will I'm not ik it counts clear traffic lights blinking. We don't need to we don't need to like dig down into it.
Speaker 6: But but at any moment, like every three or four minutes, all of our computers invariably are shutting off and we have to restart them while our information is contained on screen.
Speaker 1: And yet we continued. It seems seeming no would know they're.
Speaker 5: Well, now they would because we spent two minutes talking about that heroic we are all are fighting through this.
Speaker 4: I'm always told you get duck. No one needs to know what's going on underneath the water. You're just swimming along and it looks very smooth, and all the chaos is underneath.
Speaker 6: I like to make us look, you know, as valuable as possible.
Speaker 2: I think to synchronize the security detail these laptops universally. It feels like a major misstep by the IT department. It around that it may just sink today's program, But.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love everyone that works in the IT department.
Speaker 1: Here. We have bad days here. This is their bad day, and we're going to work through it hopefully.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm confident in that.
Speaker 1: All right, it just can't It just came up there. It is.
Speaker 6: It's a ready, it's not fictional. It's like we're working with this in real time.
Speaker 1: Let's just in this. Greg's uncomfortable the end of the play.
Speaker 2: Tough you know, don't worry, Bub, there's only sixty five million people watching that game.
Speaker 1: Tough one. Bub, Why did you just? Why did you side? I said that.
Speaker 5: He's fighting through it. He's fighting through a difficult situation.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 5: He's paddling underneath the surface, which we knew his name would be very easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, find that out pract official voice.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think he could walk into a bar and knock like half the bar out too. It's not like he was some wimp up there, which as he's John Raid from a Johnny Smith hanging there. It's like, you know, Bub, Peter Brady voice cracking like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He was sick. He was, he was sick. Let's all been there.
Speaker 2: Let's try to avoid nineteen seventies pop culture references.
Speaker 1: We got to move forward as it we got it. I won't go there again. We have a young clientele.
Speaker 3: Eighty pop culture references just.
Speaker 1: Roughly forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the eighties, preferably nineties. I just had a Y two K ref.
Speaker 3: He was singing Frasier before the show.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about how Live was a bad band name for the tenth time on the show.
Speaker 3: The Internet is actually a band name too.
Speaker 2: I mean when Ed Kual checking the guys from York Pennsylvania said we got to come up with a band name back in about ninety one, and they're like, Live it talks about how we're vital and that that's where our music comes to life.
Speaker 1: And then it's like six years later, you're on AOL and you got him in Live. They go, was it live with an ext explanation point too?
Speaker 2: I believe No, it was like Live with some type of like reverse underscore and overscore over the eye. Well, yeah, it's tough one that you can't which is not searchable either, a.
Speaker 1: Marketing Y two K truly. All right, let's do some news became a huge mistakes.
Speaker 2: The Atlanta Falcons have named Raheem Morris their new head coach.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so unfair, Dan. Raheem Morris, the.
Speaker 2: First former NFL head coach Arthur Blank is hired in his twenty plus year tenure.
Speaker 1: He is and this is a positive.
Speaker 2: The first full time blackhead coach in the franchise's history, and he's also notably not Bill Belichick. So the Atlanta Falcons go with Raheem Morris, who's had previous head coaching experience with Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: He was also an interim head coach. Where was he the interim coach?
Speaker 6: Well, alcoul it was almost hired for that job, that right, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So after fourteen interviews, Colleen, the Falcons go with Raheem Morris.
Speaker 1: How you feeling about this one?
Speaker 4: I mean I kind of think that it's sort of for Arthur Blank, the fact that he wasn't hired the last time when they went with Arthur Smith. This is sort of like, Okay, maybe I made a mistake, like maybe.
Speaker 3: You should have been the head coach the last time.
Speaker 4: But the search that they had, i mean, fourteen candidates, multiple second interviews, like they almost be exhausted first of all from the interview process in general. But it's kind of I just think it's really interesting that they ended up bringing him back when he was on the coaching staff there from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty. Obviously he's known as a defensive guy, but he's coached on both sides of the ball because in Atlanta he was the wide receivers coach from twenty sixteen to twenty nineteen. But it's a totally different roster at this point from when Raheem Morris was last there. Only six players remain from his last time there who were under contract for this upcoming season. And I think that it's kind of interesting too that both Morris and Terry Fontina the GM will report directly to Blank, so they cut out Rich McKay the CEO, and Blank said that McKay will no longer be involved in day to day football operations. So that almost reminds me of back when Chip Kelly came in as the Eagles head coach and Howie Roseman was like banished to a storage closet essentially, and.
Speaker 1: The other side of the building literally, yeah.
Speaker 3: Came back rose from the Ashes. But ultimately, the quarterb will.
Speaker 4: Dictate Raheem's success as the head coach there, like Desmond Ritter and Taylor Heineky, Taylor Heinie, He's going to be a cap casualty. So whoever they end up bringing in is going to be the ultimate decider of what happens with Raheem Morris in his second chance as a head coach and his second chance with Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Will it be like.
Speaker 4: A Baker Mayfield type because Baker and Raheem were together in LA. If things don't work out with Baker and Tampa Bay, since he's a free agent, will they bring in someone like her cousins or Russell Wilson. So I think that that is the main thing to really watch.
Speaker 1: He's entirely different, did it?
Speaker 3: That's all I got?
Speaker 1: Human, That's a lot. That was good.
Speaker 5: Look, he was one of the youngest head coaches in NFL history when he took that Bucks job. He was thirty three years old.
Speaker 1: Remember the youngree Bucks.
Speaker 5: It was two thousand Hungary, it was two thousand and nine. They went ten and six in his second year with Josh Johnson as his quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's the coach of the year, Josh Freeman. Rather, no, I don't think so, but he definitely was. I remember the best one we ended up seeing an NFL mark and off that year.
Speaker 1: He was like stock up. Yes, he was seen as one of the great young coaches in the least.
Speaker 5: And that was now what thirteen years ago, and all you hear from players, from coaches, from everyone. He's beloved and like you, hear it enough year after year after year that he, like Jalen Ramsey says he's the best coach he's ever had. All these different coaches say, all these different players say, this is the best coach I ever had. And a lot of it is like leader of men, he has a better idea of how different organizations work. I think this is a great way to get your second job, that you had that much amount of time in between, and you saw that many different sort of setups under Dan Quinn in Atlanta, under Sean McVeigh in Los Angeles, and the staff I think that he sold them on also was probably a big part of that. Zach Robinson is offensive coordinator. He was a highly respected assistant in Los Angeles who's kind of seen as the next offensive guy from that tree, and he very tight with Morris, and Morris sold them on like he's gonna come with me, He'll take this job instead of all the other ones, like the Patriots were hot after him, the Saints, all these other ones, And that's part of it. And then more than more than all that, like they know him, they know him and they like him, and so there's familiarity there that I think he had that the other eight or nine Second Interview candidates didn't have. Bill Belichick was never getting this job after he left the Second Interview and he wasn't hired. I think people have kind of been like, I can't believe they didn't hire Belichick. I know you said that to and I get that, But that decision was made two weeks ago because Belichick, like the second Belichick left that Second Interview and he wasn't the choice, and they continued tow they clearly weren't hiring him, Like, if you're hiring Bill Belichick, you just hire him. He came in with whatever he wanted the setup to be, they didn't agree with it for whatever reason, and so then out of the other thirteen choices, to me, Morris makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: I think it was more of a Belichick saying probably like I don't want to work with a Terry Fott know, the one we don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know the history around Belichick, we don't even know like all this talk around Belichick, like he wants to make all the decisions, all this different stuff.
Speaker 1: We're all just kind of assuming that and we don't know.
Speaker 5: I loved it from I don't why we didn't hear report from the Washington Post that he was planning to bring Patricia, Joe Judge and possibly Joshua.
Speaker 2: Okay, so members of the step. But I mean in terms of the day to day football.
Speaker 6: Up, yeah, I think it's just like Belichick basically not moving off of Belichick thinking.
Speaker 1: And that's fine.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying that like there was other people saying that Arthur Blank actually was pretty resolute on giving him a real chance and wanting to bring Belichick in.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I think they want. I think they supposedly in November this was their plan. They've been working on Belichick for months and something made them change their mind.
Speaker 6: But I don't think Morris is like this deep second place, because I was listening to Peter King, who had talked to a ton of people over years, and was like, he said that Raheem Morris and he wasn't pumping him up that if you ranked like coaches, what in terms of the higher review that he gets they got from people that work with him over years and years, that Raheem Morris was easy top five and that players were actually agitated when he left the Falcons the last time. That to your point, like Greg he that's how he makes players feeling. So I do like the coach that doesn't just get hired like the next cycle after they get fired and they failed. It's like he has gone and done everything. If you're saying that Mike McCarthy went and had a one year away sojourn to learn about other ways to do things, like Morris has gone half of his career doing that. And I think it's a good fit because he fits in an organization that he already fitted well.
Speaker 2: I mean, just be clear, I don't think Raheem Morris is gonna necessarily I'm not saying he's a.
Speaker 1: From a Belichick angle.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I find it difficult to wrap my head around, especially if it's true that blanket circled Belichick months and months ago.
Speaker 1: That to change your mind and hire, yes, he's what would make you change your mind, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know eating like that at a certain point, Listen, I'm looking at the everything about this, the fact that they spoke with fourteen different people, the general trajectory of this organization since twenty eight three, and I just I can't give them the benef of the doubt that they haven't galaxy brained their way into an absurd decision. And maybe everyone else is right, because I know this is now the popular thinking. Bill is over the hill, Bill demands control. Bill is a guy that he comes in and nobody can work with him because he's a certain way. And maybe that is all true, or maybe people are having the chance to hire Bill Belichick right now and they've gotten in their mind so wrapped around the negatives that they don't see what's right in front of them, which is the most successful head coach who has ever lived.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: And I feel bad because it was kind of a d move for me to be negative about Raheem when I set the story up, But it's because I think it's outrageous in a coaching cycle where there's been what eight openings that this guy is gonna.
Speaker 5: Be out of, Well, they're there the only ones even that way, literally, And I think that was I heard that, and this makes sense to me that that might have been a factor and it shouldn't be. And it does point to what you're saying, the Falcons being a bad organization.
Speaker 1: Maybe is like I think they.
Speaker 5: Were a little spooke that literally no one else had any interest in him.
Speaker 1: They're like, that shouldn't be Ye, you're discuss should processed in you should have your own mind.
Speaker 3: We have no idea what We don't know that either.
Speaker 4: We don't know a lot of things, but you don't know what his demands were or anything like that.
Speaker 5: But I know enough about Bill Belichick and his history in New England, and I've listened to Tom Kerran, who knows him as well as anyone, talking about It's like, he's not going to be like, oh yeah, I'll like I'll like report to Rich McKay or I'll like work with Terry Fi Like, of course he's not doing that, Like that's not going to be an option for him at this stage of his career.
Speaker 4: But also Raheem has to be attractive because of his experience there, and obviously Arthur Blank knows him so well. I was talking to DiAngelo Hall about this because when when d Hall was doing the morning show with me, Good Morning Football, and that was when he when let's see what year was that when Morris was the interim head coach.
Speaker 1: Was that twenty twenty twenty?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Dee Hall absolutely loved Raheem then and he was standing on the table for him then to get the job. And it was like from week after week as soon as he took over as the interim and I was like, are you going to go and work in Atlanta? But he's under contract still in Carolina, d Hall is, but he was just saying he loves Raheem and he really thinks that he a great job, relates to the players.
Speaker 5: And he is kind of sneakily like a big Shanahan slash mcmay tree guy because he was on that Washington staff, that the original Shannon staff. He was with Kyle Shanahan and he was the receivers coach during twenty three. He was on the offensive side of the ball during that and he was just twice he was on the offensive and then he was just with McVeigh, you know. So he is from that tree that everyone's kind of going. And I heard the Rams pushed really hard too, saying like they loved him. They talked him up and to their own detriment because they lose Zach Robinson and he's taking some more staff members from the Rams.
Speaker 1: They do get two third round, they do get that Sentory picks. That does help.
Speaker 2: That's how it goes. All right, let's move on. This is a surprise that broke right before we started. Ben Johnson is not leaving the Detroit Lions. The offensive coordinator informed the Seahawks and Commanders. Those are the two teams that if you have to hire a coach that he's staying in Detroit. That's from Tom Pellisero and Seattle and Washington. As I said, they have those two vacancies. He was scheduled to meet with both clubs for interviews this week, but instead of the thirty seven year old will stay in Detroit.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 2: This is obviously a big lift for the Lions at a time where they could use some good news to keep that continuity with the offense.
Speaker 1: And also we'll just I'll just say it a risk for.
Speaker 2: Ben Johnson because you don't year to year, especially as an OC, you never know how you know, your public perception could change. He was a very hot name this year, He'll probably be a hot name next year, but he chooses to stay home and great news for the Lions.
Speaker 6: It we have seen coaches who were high flyers and about to get hired make a you know, a philosophical choice to pass stay where they are and then their names fade if the you know, if the Lions were to crash and burn next season, like benj it's all about like hype and Kellen Moore as an example, I mean Kellen Moore, Yes.
Speaker 5: He's getting James Byron left, which supposedly turned down the Doug Peterson job in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: He's led really not even in a league right, fade fast.
Speaker 6: But you know, chefter at a nugget that Ben Johnson also was asking for a lot of money. That could also just be spin and pr and you know, people saying things, but his asking price was very high. But I think if you're him and you look at the team that you're on right now, and the way it's built, like the other wilderness you could be in is to go to a team and have like Geno Smith melt away, or go to Washington and pick the wrong quarterback and then you're in a terrible situation and everyone's pointing fingers at you.
Speaker 1: You can stay like the center of the party.
Speaker 6: If you go to Detroit, they go back to the playoffs and you got a chance at eight other teams next sup.
Speaker 2: As was trying to say in our conversation with Cynthia on Thursday, We're we talk about canalas like, if you really believe in your abilities. I'm not saying this has happened what happened with him, but it's okay to pass on a job opening like the one in Carolina, which is very dicey if you want something that is more suited for you or feels like a better landing spot. Can always takes an obvious risk with Carolina. Ben Johnson is going the other route.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave Canalis, huh, you're.
Speaker 1: Doing good with the with the canal Anala.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is now, what the second time that Ben Johnson has turned down potential head coaching opportunities.
Speaker 3: We don't know like.
Speaker 4: If he would have gotten these jobs or not, but since he's staying, that's such a boon for Dan Campbell now that he doesn't have to go out and find someone else to be a creative play caller that knows these players that had this success, and it just feels like if they're able to keep this in place and go far again, then Ben Johnson has even more of a leg to stand on with these head coaching opportunities. So I just think it speaks volumes of the culture in Detroit too, of what they've been able to build and for Ben Johnson to see when he started with Detroit, because he's seen it really dark there. He's seen dark times and he's seen the turnaround. And to your point, Dan, yeah, go to a place that has to that. He would have to do that again, that's not easy. That's not an easy thing to turn around, to change people's mindset and to go to another toxic place and to make it a winning atmosphere, Like that's not easy, and like.
Speaker 6: Not every thirty seven year old is maybe inside like measuring where they're at like ready to do this. Like I know that everyone getting is getting hired at younger, like there are I'm we talked. I talked to Ian one time and he talked about like a certain head coach candidate reached out saying like like I like that people see me this way, but I feel like I need more experience.
Speaker 5: And it's like that's like Raheem Morris the f first time he's talked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't really ready for it.
Speaker 5: And I think it's awesome because I just like the idea that someone in this society essentially can decide like there are more things better, more important than money. Like I think he's making a personal choice that I don't know if it's about readiness, I don't know anything like that. To me, it's like I have this situation that I truly love, that we're trying to accomplish something special, that I've been here for five years, that I know this is great and whatever is going to be next in my career is gonna be next in my career. But man, like this is amazing right now, and I wanna I want to do it even more, even if I'm gonna make less money this year, Like I'm not freaking going poor. I have more than enough money to live off and then some. And I'm confident in myself too if you're Ben Jonson that like there should be opportunities in the future, whatever they were gonna be, and I'm gonna just do this because that gives me like a higher standard of living and like what matters more to me, that's very happiness Like that, Like imagine if they do get to the Super Bowl next year, and if they don't, like he's gonna have coordinator jobs and he's gonna have more money than anyone should possibly have in like the world for the rest of his life anyways, right.
Speaker 2: And if the Chargers would who have Justin Herbert or you know, if the Bengals and Joe Burrow there was an opening, he probably would take the jump.
Speaker 5: But maybe cowbody this Cowboys Eagles next year, like who knows what's.
Speaker 1: Going I like it.
Speaker 2: I like then Ben Johnson knows he should still be in the catbird seat next year.
Speaker 5: He should be Aaron Glenn is interviewing for that Washington job. By the way, still luck Air and Washington said they were surprised, according to Adam Schefter, so they they were not expecting.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Kellen Moore, he formerly of the Cowboys and the Chargers, is now the offensive coordinator of the Eagles, so he joins app coaching staff. Also, this happened a couple.
Speaker 1: Of days ago.
Speaker 2: Big Fangio, after a rocky one year tenure in Miami, lands in Philadelphia, so you got more and Fangio and Connie with the Eagles here. They made the decision to stick with your boy, Sirianni. And they've now surrounded him with very probably expensive and successful coordinators, So that was the move they reinforced, let's say, the foundation around Sirianni, which I kind.
Speaker 1: Of get makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like Sirianni is giving Brandon Staley vibes in this situation because Kellen Moore goes there.
Speaker 3: And it's like, was this sort of a forced move.
Speaker 4: On Sirianni by Howie Roseman, Jeffrey Lorie.
Speaker 1: He probably doesn't have a lot of leverage in the organization right.
Speaker 3: Now, Howie mus So.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Eagles have wanted more for a while though, Like they interviewed him to be the head coach in twenty twenty one and then went with Sirianni instead, And now that they're bringing in more, we're under Siri. That's why it just feels like this is sort of an arranged marriage and that Sirianni is on an even shorter leash. And I mean, frankly, a lot of people thought that he wasn't even gonna be in Philadelphia again, despite his record, despite going to the Super Bowl last year. I think it it's I like the move just because the with Sirianni, they never used motions or shifts and they never really mixed up the offense that way, and that's what Kellen Moore does. That's what he's good at. The knock on more is that he doesn't really run the ball, so that was sort of the issue at a lot of times last year in Philadelphia. So we'll have to see how that goes. But Moore's offenses have traditionally handled the blitz really well. That was another area that the Eagles offense were lacking in. If it goes well, though, Kellen Moore, I guess, will probably end up getting head coaching opportunities because that would mean that they would keep Siriani if things do work out and they have success. So it's just sort of an interesting play.
Speaker 1: It reminds me a ton of when they.
Speaker 5: Moved Howie to the other side of the building, because it all seems it doesn't even seem it's clearly a Jeff Loriy think. I don't even think it's rope. I mean, it's the two of them working together. They're the two most powerful guys in the in the building. But I think Jeff Lori was convinced by Siria like, we're gonna keep you, but it's not gonna be your offense anymore. We want to update and modernize, and so we want we want you to run the whole thing, but you're gonna do it with guys that are unfamiliar to because it's not his offense anymore. He is now out of his tree and he it does seem a little awkward having two great interim head coaching candidates right on the roster, But it's a proven year for Kellen Moore too. I'm sure he would have gotten a different job in this cycle. There's still a lot of coordinator jobs open, but his stock is not nearly as high. Like the Chargers were totally disappointing last year on offense. Got you know, he started like a house on fire, and that happened a lot in Dallas, where they'd start well and they finished poorly. So if that's what happened with Kellen Moore in Dallas, it's what happened with him in LA.
Speaker 1: So he's got a lot to prove too.
Speaker 6: I mean it's I have the Polder type stuff because either you're looking at him as one of the most like pressure packed new coordinators in the league based on the fact that like there's a lot of questions around everyone on that offense. But also things melted down so poorly and became such a nuclear winner as the regular season ended that like, maybe it can't get a lot worse.
Speaker 5: And they have great players, Like they still have really great players on offense, which matters.
Speaker 4: Awkward vibes there right all around it was it was an awkward end to the season and now it just feels like an awkward off season now too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the stability around Philly, as you're saying, is not great. But Kellen Moore is thinking to himself, you know, maybe this ends with me being the interim coach and maybe we've seen, as we saw in Las Vegas as an example, a recent example, I keep the job if I do well. It's another it's a backdoor way to get a job.
Speaker 5: Head coach also means that, like you started, stuff is terrible and you've got to fix all that probably in four or five weeks, and that's tough, and Kellen Moore's mind, probably the better outcome is even like Jalen hurts his back of the m VP mix, We're awesome and I'm a head coach a year right now.
Speaker 2: Or make all those guys terrible in the first month you just fired and then that's a move. That's what Antonio Pierce did. Don't don't get it twisted.
Speaker 6: That is not what I don't think takes on the coach calculated.
Speaker 5: I watched that Sirianni presser by the way, and Sirianni city next to Howie.
Speaker 1: They were just with like a gun in his ribs.
Speaker 5: He just felt very like, I'm at I'm like the kid now at the adults table, and it was just like Tony, everything down and.
Speaker 6: Kids have no responsibility and everything provided for them.
Speaker 1: So that sounds like serious.
Speaker 4: I kind of can't wait for the Combine press conferences to happen.
Speaker 1: You think they'll let him do that?
Speaker 3: Well, and then Dom will be there, big Dom.
Speaker 2: What did they do the thing where I just put him on the lap and then do the voice whose lap?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: You Howie, Howie he puts Sirianni on his lap?
Speaker 1: Does mem five? Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, but it's visually awkward to go for it. Why not adults on child's lap?
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: Let's spend through the rest of us real quick. And if you if you must share hot takes, please do uh, but but be smart about them and concise. Arthur Smith expected to be hired by the Steelers as their offensive coordinator John Harbaugh or Jim Harbaugh. Excuse me, you got to get used to that again. Who's back in the NFL At the Chargers. He brings Michigan DC Jesse Minter with him. Uh, he will be yes run their defensive Browns mark your Brown's hired Ken Dorsey as their offensive coordinator. The Bills promote Joe Brady from interim to full time OC after a successful takeover during last season. And Bobby Bobbick as Bills d C. Is that right, bobbych Rabbit and anything on those personnel moves.
Speaker 6: I don't love Arthur Smith potentially still not having a quarterback, but I do think he's probably just a better OC than head coach.
Speaker 1: In general. I think it's kind of fun.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know Martha's Smith was frustrating in Atlanta, but he's an upgrade from what's been going on. I remember, and he was fun as a coordinator in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: So great Bigger was calling for his return to Nashville. So you know, he did have a lot of success.
Speaker 5: And I thought it was telling. The ownership there in Pittsburgh was like, we're sick of losing like he was seeing that we have some urgency here. We're gonna give Tomlin a long term contract, but we have some urgency to get past what's going on.
Speaker 1: And by that I read like.
Speaker 5: We're gonna bring in They might be doing a little bit more of a Jeffrey Lurry thing where they're bringing in some people from the outside. After hearing from Tomlin over and over, it's like, we're gonna do how we're gonna do. Tomlin, I think is being made to maybe open open up the common.
Speaker 4: He worried for George Pickens because like Arthur Smith never utilized his top guys like that was always He.
Speaker 6: Did a nice job with aj Brown, though I thought, yeah, But but I caught it right, like there's some residual concern just based on something about him car crash in the press conferences where like being a head coach, it did seem too stressful for him, and maybe it all like impacted like that he fits well as a coordinator.
Speaker 2: I see that impacted his to get increasingly frustrated by the aspects of the job. Man, if you put Kirk Cousins in Pittsburgh and gave him Arthur Smith, the Steelers are cooking with grease? Would you though, Mark I poured them? Yes, why do I give you? And finally chiefs.
Speaker 1: Uh why the shot? No, I'm saying because he's you know, he's a brand. I don't need to worry about. I'm fine because well you're asking me. You trying to lead me into a man's plain hit.
Speaker 3: Why are you so defensive?
Speaker 6: Why are you yelling when the Browns can you know, hire the coordinator that was fired Josh Allen?
Speaker 1: Is this quarterback? You got to do it? Charles ameniheue? What were you saying? Nothing? I was being.
Speaker 5: Ken Dorsey, I like, is just like walk about a low octane high? But it's for Stefanski. So these these like like Babbage under Sean mcderby, What does that really matter?
Speaker 1: He's the defensive.
Speaker 6: When you hire an oc and it gets shoved into the speed round, I think it says, it says.
Speaker 1: But he's not calling the plays like Stefanski is. Greg.
Speaker 6: I do understand. I know, so I'm saying low octane higher. Yes, I do understand that he's not calling people.
Speaker 1: Do love themselves some? Jesse minter? Are we still talking about? You know? Because does anyone remember what I said no, we don't. Does anyone care about our speed anything? I don't know?
Speaker 2: All right, go ahead, Greg, let's talk about Jesse Minter now, well, because like let's get those takes that need to be out there.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. Imagine if you were a Charger change, if.
Speaker 2: I was a jetsman, I'd love to hear we played that book as well. Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: You're still mad about her saying you were she she guessed let me so easily. You emotionally manipulated me. Honest, we're accused of splaining that's never.
Speaker 4: A postman and cause a little chaos, and you're the joker.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, Go ahead, great, go ahead, When last time to prepare you have to go chaos?
Speaker 5: Do you understand that the last DC that Jim Harbough found in Michigan was Mike McDonald, who we knew nothing about and came to the NFL and was the best defensive coach in the league almost immediately. And everyone says this about Minter too. So there is something about Harbor that he develops coaches very well, and he needs a good defensive coach.
Speaker 1: Well. Minter was also with the Ravens, so his brother.
Speaker 5: There's something about these Harvy's. They know what to do, so anything. What was your Dorsey comment.
Speaker 1: I don't need to go back to that place.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to with your I think your orderly and sensible request that we I'm.
Speaker 2: Just trying to get to the second part of the show, and Colleen is on a time crunch, so I'm gonna move on now.
Speaker 1: Charles and many hutre's a I'm gonna time crunch too, just to let you know.
Speaker 2: Always so you don't really have any where to go.
Speaker 1: But you're on a tig after this.
Speaker 3: It's just smoke. You just say this smoke.
Speaker 2: Here's Andy Reid, by the way, on Kadarius Tony who who said that he wasn't injured and the chiefs are lying and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Here's Andy Reid.
Speaker 7: You know obviously he's been on the injury reports, so I mean I got that part as uh that's not made up by any means. But he's been working through some things and he'll, uh you know, he'll be back out there.
Speaker 6: I will saying, I like, have him back out Go watch this and then go take an hour and read about like body language when people. I'm not saying that he's I think he's took our lot. He's in a sticky situation. But I always like to see where people's eyes go and they respond to questions because the upper left thing is like I'm thinking, I'm processing. Sometimes it's like I'm not telling you exactly everything I know.
Speaker 1: You know, Hindy read it.
Speaker 5: He he sort of invites this, Ki, it's true.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like they're like they're they're like deep studies about them. I would just say the FBI and the CIA if I were.
Speaker 2: Andy read knowing what I know about what Canarisny can provide to my team this year?
Speaker 1: Go take a walk.
Speaker 2: Right, totally agree? What do you I'll see you back at practice. Bye bye. And I know he made big plays in the super Bowl last year, but this ain't last year. It's a little been a nightmare for them. But they invite that. They that is the Chiefs. It sort of gets lost in the trouble.
Speaker 5: No one brings in more what in the draft would be called character concerns than the Chiefs. Literally Umana who who tore his acl and is going to miss the super Bowl now and was a really good starter for you know it wasn't available because he was arrested for domestic battery and assault earlier this year. Like, that's the type of players that the Chiefs very often bring in and then think things come with it.
Speaker 2: And that's what's happening in the news. Real quick, it's time out to talk a little Game of the week presented by DraftKings. The game of the week is actually next week. It's the Super Bowl. Heard about it? So let's take a look at where we're at in the Desert Land on this one. The spread sitting right now at one and a half the tic tac zone, as Bill Simmons is known to say, one and a half calorie in a tiktak. It's funny over the over under is forty seven and a half.
Speaker 1: All right, Greg? When you look at.
Speaker 5: This money line, minus twenty for the Niners. And I've listened to a lot of Simmons over the year, for one's heard that minus one twenty for them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you were to pick one of these props game props, what would you go with?
Speaker 1: Give me all the pacheckos.
Speaker 5: Sixty eight and a half rushing yards more, sixteen and a half rushing attempts more, nineteen and a half total receiving rushing yards. More, how about Pacheco plus three thousand for MVP. I'm just saying, like, if you think the Chiefs are gonna win, can't you imagine this forty nine Ers defense which has been bad week after week after week, stopping the run that like they give up like two hundred yard and Pacheco.
Speaker 6: Just goes nuts. Get your wallets out unless you work for this company.
Speaker 2: How do you beat the Niners? You got to keep that offense off the field. Run the football. I like that, and that man runs like he bites people, Connie.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite descriptor of Tom chump chump, chump chump.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 8: Download the Draft King sports Book cap now and use code a t N. New customers can bet five bucks to get two hundred instantly and bonus bets only on Draft Kings sports Book and official sports betting partner of Super Bowl fifty eight with code a t N. The crown is yours.
Speaker 2: All right, let's uh take a break, and when we get back, PEP talks for those who need them, some hard conversations. Oh no, difficult ones, all right, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Uh, I just got another prompt for security.
Speaker 6: I've learned how to navigate around it.
Speaker 1: This tel me help me.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, after this show later on, I think you need to handle this and just bite the bullet.
Speaker 2: I tried it already. Connected this that you might I'm gonna have to go. I did that too empty.
Speaker 6: I'd bring the issue to Las Vegas with you and see if maneuver around it. But you said you have a workaround. That's good in the moment. Yeah, but it's not. It's not content for the show. Do you want to go on a trip together hand in hand to it afterwards?
Speaker 1: I don't time. What's going on? I don't know. I have someone else. I'll come in and win. You know, it's the dead zone before the show. What do you have going on after the show? Got to pack schedule, come up with.
Speaker 3: Something just so much?
Speaker 1: I can't even that's a doctor. All right, here we go. Let's get to it. Not all wrong.
Speaker 2: PEP talks for those who need them. Colleen, you are in therapy yourself as you are. You've shared with the show. It is perfectly healthy for the mind and body. So uh, don't connected now. What you can do now, what you can do is take what you've learned in that realm. Yeah, and use that on someone in the NFL who could use it.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, go ahead, all right, Well, you know I don't I don't love having tough conversations.
Speaker 3: This is not my favorite thing to do.
Speaker 4: I avoid conflict at every possible turn.
Speaker 3: But eventually, oh.
Speaker 1: Though it was kind of nice what you did with Dana liter earlier.
Speaker 4: I just done right exactly. But there comes a point where, like the bill comes due, and you have to face these things you have to in order to get through something. You need to go straight through and process it. There's no way you can get around it. And when you have a long history with someone or something, that makes it really difficult because a lot of times being familiar and having a habit, like it's something that you go back to doing all the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for you or it's positive.
Speaker 3: It's just familiar.
Speaker 4: So a lot of times you have to break the cycle and you have to break that and I just, you know, I don't love change, but change is necessary for growth.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm in the office with you and Suzanne right now.
Speaker 3: I feel like I should have been a psychologists, whatever.
Speaker 4: So I really do appreciate the time that I had with this thing, but now it's time to move on and we need to stop using Roman numerals.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this.
Speaker 4: I'm so done with Roman numerals. I learned them in grade school and I never needed them again until I started working at the NFL, and it would just be random bits of copy that I wouldn't know were coming, and a producer would hand me a piece of paper or just say read the prompter, or it's in the script, just read it, and which I hate because I don't like to just read something cold that someone else wrote that I don't know what I'm saying. That's not my vibe, that's not what I do. I don't ever have someone else write stuff for me. I write all my own stuff. And I would never use a Roman numeral for someone that's reading something.
Speaker 3: Cold live on the air.
Speaker 4: When was the last time that you guys even used a Roman numeral? Like, we're not using Latin, like there's no other Like if you're listening to a football game, it's not like they would speak Latin for the penalties.
Speaker 5: Like in high school? What why big waste? Exactly an easy grade.
Speaker 3: The Roman numerals need to stop.
Speaker 4: And I thought Super Bowl fifty was going to be the turning point because it was the first time that they didn't use a Roman numeral for the Super Bowl. And sure it looks nice with like you know when you're using a lot of x's and v's and i's, but you know, there just comes a time to move on, and I think that time is now and we need to drop the Roman numerals from society.
Speaker 6: Wow, I think it's you know, it's marketing gold because it got back when it was like xx and like even a child's like super Bowl twenty. But now where it's like my mind is scrambled. We aren't a Roman culture.
Speaker 1: We're not HARKing back to something that came from deep like.
Speaker 2: Our origins are in some way, especially the idea of the the arena and the gladiators of the sport.
Speaker 6: That's fair, but like i'd say, like are called sure comes from every culture at this point. So they're like we're melting pot if such a nod to rome, like oh my thing is bigger, like when it got to fifty and you're making you fifty six or fifty eight or then I'm trying to remember what Super Bowl it was like, I literally can't remember the Super Bowl from four years ago because it's been put through a Roman number machine.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm with you.
Speaker 4: No, it shouldn't have an L in it, like L is for loss, so I don't like, say on.
Speaker 5: The lower third this week, it's also for love. On NFL network, they used the number on a graphic. It was like during they did one of the shows during the day, maybe it was Insiders, and I was like, maybe this maybe they're starting to hear you because I'm with you.
Speaker 1: This needs to change.
Speaker 5: It was a marketing gimmick when NFL was not popular at all and it was going to be this big thing AFL versus NFL, and no one cared.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: People watch that a little bit on TV, like literally no one even showed up for the game, and they're just trying to get some some pop into it.
Speaker 1: Make it a gladiator. They played it in the coll see him.
Speaker 5: I think that was all connected, and so they put the one and now forget.
Speaker 1: It any research. There are just connecting docs.
Speaker 5: I like, oh, I've read this is from America's game. Michael McCambridge.
Speaker 2: Yes, what I'm saying, is that where the Roman u erals because they played at the coliseum.
Speaker 5: That I don't know, but it would make sense the more that they're like, they were trying to pump it up into this big thing because people weren't really into the AFL. People weren't that into professional football, but they definitely weren't into the and there was this new thing, and everyone thought, well, who cares about this game? The NFL championship already happened. They sort of saw this as like a preseason game that's being played after, you know, and so they gave it a little more half.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if that which is why, Yeah, what happened in Super Bowl three with name it was so important because when the AFL beat the NFL, it legitimized that league and then they came together. Now that's it.
Speaker 2: I think I've probably done a similar monologue on the show.
Speaker 1: I kind of hazily remember it years ago.
Speaker 2: But now about banning Roman numerals, But now I'm back on the other side.
Speaker 1: I think it's tradition and uh, and here's and here's the other thing. Here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: We had the chance, as we pointed out, they went with the number fifty for San Francisco, and that was a huge to do. The celebration around the fiftieth anniversary. The year after that and the next few years after that were horrendous orderline embarrassing to use.
Speaker 1: L one L I L. I just looked to the eye.
Speaker 2: If they did, if they had the chance to move, and they didn't, guess what, We're not going to get one hundred until. I mean, we're not going to get the number back until one hundred, and we're even gonna be alive that the next time you see one hundred a number next to a super Bowl the figure that is probably when it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I will say unlikely would be the answer, but possibly the other. In professional wrestling, WrestleMania almost.
Speaker 2: Certainly took it after the Super Bowl, and they used Roman number numerals up to thirty before they decided it doesn't really work anymore.
Speaker 6: So, especially wrestling fans don't operate in that mode. Mentally, i'd say, why do you say that? I don't know why I said.
Speaker 2: That, But in general, whenever you can follow the path of Vince McMahon, you do. And I think we could all agree in terms of a intellectual and moral compass.
Speaker 6: So was that a point counterpoint? Like was that also your presentation? Oh yeah, but yours is. I get what you're saying. That was a tough talk. But who was it to is the marketing arm of the league or what? Or to Roman numerals himself?
Speaker 1: Like who was your he's questioning your understanding.
Speaker 4: That No, not at all, it's just like who was it directly to the Roman numerals?
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 4: Well that's confusing, but like you served your purpose and you're really nice.
Speaker 2: It would be funny to watch it kind of turning around and sadly walking away like fifty eight el elf Bury one one. I I like, just walking away, sulking into the around the bend, never to be seen again, and then all proud like fifty eighth number walks in and takes a spot like, well, she brought it up. She turned it into talking to the actual numerals, So we're gonna humanize them now.
Speaker 1: I can't stop, all right? Uh? Can I talk since we brought out? Okay, I talk to Bill? Oh yeah, I think you need to.
Speaker 2: Which is weird that I'm even doing this because obviously I have a complicated relationship with the men personally in terms of my fandom and the history and everything around the Patriots, and but I feel like this guy needs and needs a little pick me up because bub you're a legend. I think somebody needs to tell them that right now. I feel like, you know, Linda's not even around to tell them. I don't know if I think.
Speaker 5: I think, if you listen to, maybe demanding to take over the entire Falcons organization is a sign he's still feeling that way.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know that. Again, we don't know the details of the conversation. I kind of wish, well, I'll get to that. There's a lot of conjecture around and discourse around. You're right now, Bill, and everybody says you're too old, and you're too power hungry, and you're you're yesterday's news. And I just want you to know that you're.
Speaker 1: The best man. You're the best, there is, the best, there was, the best there ever will be.
Speaker 2: You know, you're him that the kids say you're goaded like, don't let like people like Greg tell you you're not great anymore, and you're and you don't deserve to be in power anymore or to build a team again, because all I know update device one moment.
Speaker 4: The same, don't do the Julian Edelman to Tom Brady motivation that you're you're too old and.
Speaker 9: Yeah no, like you got eleven super Bowls, bub you got eight titles, six as a head coach. The idea of you, Bill wasting your another year of your prime and you are in your prime, baby fake laughing with JB and Howie while Terry bumbles yet another read on the teleprompter. It's beneath you. It's uncouth.
Speaker 2: It was like, Oh, Bill's fine, He'll go to the Fox and sit on the dais Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Bill Belichick? Like, that's what we're cool with. He would he would make his own role. He would make his.
Speaker 3: Own What if they put him in a booth with Brady though, that.
Speaker 1: Would be fun. I would be okay with that. It's beneath you.
Speaker 2: And it's strange to say this, but I really do think Bill Belichick in a in a weird way as being blackballed right now.
Speaker 1: And I want to know why. I want to know why, Greg.
Speaker 2: I want to know why because it feels like like Barry Bonds is his last year in baseball he had a four to eighty on base percentage, hit close to thirty home runs, couldn't get a job. That guy was a cheater. You're not a cheat, all right, No, forget about that. Maybe it's because you're not a GQ model like Dave Knalas like, maybe that's what it's about. Maybe there are people out there that are saying that you're both frumpy and grumpy, which is a terrible thing to say, but it's out there in the discourse, and the fact that you don't fit the mold of the modern head coach, as if having high cheek bones and a chisel jawline helps you, you know, do January kneel downs after W's with confetti raining down?
Speaker 1: Doesn't it help it all? I can tell you them personally that it helps, but don't let them. Don't let them do it? Why because it Stefanski.
Speaker 6: Or I was suggesting that I had high cheekbones. That's obviously enough.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you don't fit the prototype of the quote modern head coach.
Speaker 1: Whatever, But is that Bill? Is there anything else you'd like to share? Did you watch the game on Monday? Yes?
Speaker 2: I saw both games and they actually were on Sunday and Bill, this is the type of stuff we got to keep under our hat a little bit, just because people are asking questions about your age. Just you know, let's play this the right way. Bill, play this right way and understand that you are loved and appreciated, and don't let the discourse get you down.
Speaker 1: That's it. I think he needs that right now. I don't know. I think he's getting beat up a little.
Speaker 6: Bit, but well timed talk, because he could be at the point where, no matter what he's accomplished or any what anyone's told him and what he's read about himself, that there could be a little bit of a imposter syndrome setting. You're a little bit old, you're staring out windows, the phone's not ringing. Everyone thought you were a home run for this job. You get passed over for someone you know, thirty years younger.
Speaker 1: Everybody wants to stick them in the nursing home.
Speaker 2: Like he's junior soprano, Like you're not corrato, like you still have something to give. And then people pile on by saying he's money, he's power hungry, and of course you pass on a minute's power hungry because he didn't make mac Jones a champion. It's like, give him a chance, give him one more chance. I want to see him coach again.
Speaker 3: Then maybe he can finally experience success.
Speaker 1: Right. I told you it's conflicting for me. I don't need you know.
Speaker 5: I want to see him coach again. I think he could do a great job. When I watched him this year. I love Belichick. I've read all the books about him, Like I consider myself like a Belichick a file, like he's my guy even more than Brady was during that during that run, I really saw a coach this year. I think that knew exactly where he is in history, was fine with it. Wasn't enjoying what was going on there, but absolutely was able to celebrate where his place in the history of the game is and who he is as a patriot, all this stuff. And I think he's very comfortable with himself, and maybe he couldn't see in this cycle a vision of like him not running everything. And I totally understand why owner owners would he hesitant to do that. It's like same thing like no one hired Tom Landry after Dallas after the Cowboys. You think you don't think he was like a better coach than some of the people that but like, no, he was Tom Landry and he was going to take everything that Tom Landry was with him. And a year away from the game, I think might be great for Bill Belichick the coach, Like even if he wants to come back and coach next year, being able to look at the whole league and take.
Speaker 1: A step back.
Speaker 5: He's such a football genius that this I think could give him like a different perspective. Whether he wants to do a little bit of TV or not, We'll see. He'll make that into his own sort of Belichi, what changes one year from now?
Speaker 2: If you're saying part of the issue why people might not want him is because he wants to do it his own way. Is he not a year from now, after a year the game going to say I don't need to moderation.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe just the right option comes up and people are a year removed, or maybe he changes or he has different ideas of what he would do, or maybe he takes away some of the requirements, like in terms of control and everything.
Speaker 1: Because I'm with you, it would be fun to see him, to.
Speaker 2: Hear from him cry again, I really would love to hear from him if there was someone in the media that he trusted and just a or if he did a press conference. I know this isn't his style, but I just feel like there's so many things being affixed to him, what he wants and what he demands, and we don't really know anything.
Speaker 5: CBS Sports Jonathan Jones said several sources expect Belichip to take a job in television, which would indicate there's probably been some back door talking. And one quote this really made left. Every network would want him. He would revolutionize media with the way he prepares. I mean, okay, that's what But he was great with Tariko before the Super Bowl. That's the role I could see him in these little parts where he just sort of does a Belichick telestrator.
Speaker 1: He's Sunday, He's not.
Speaker 5: City on the tell, but even maybe he does one Sunday but it's just a Belichick's segment.
Speaker 1: He was a.
Speaker 4: Totally different person than I have ever seen in NFL atmospheres. When he was on College Game Day on ESPN this year, on the set, I didn't I was like, is this his twin brother? Who is this person that is sitting up there in Bill Belichick's body. He was smiling, he was laughing, he was making jokes. He was all in like he was. They were giving him stuff to do and he was buying in. He was yes, anding everything like he was. He looked like he was happy and he was in his element doing that. Now, maybe he's happy when he's on the sidelines in New England when it doesn't look like it, maybe he's happy on the inside. But this really looked like he was glowing in that role. And I liked that for him. I liked I liked him there like it just seemed.
Speaker 1: Right for him.
Speaker 5: Brady and Belichick and the Fox both together, right, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: Probably maybe it wouldn't be, but it'd be fun. You would have to watch who's the play by play guy you put with him. Let's just let's put it together right now.
Speaker 6: Well, Al, we should not be demoted on any level.
Speaker 2: But give me this old, this old krusty booth of Al Belichick and Brady.
Speaker 1: Let's go give me a couple of years, because this is only a year.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is he's I think he's going back into coaching eventually, I think.
Speaker 4: But but in the booth too, like that, I think that that role seeing him in that role would be so interesting because a lot of people haven't even seen him in like the happy I'm relaxed, I'm here to just hang out and talk about football, and I love it role, let alone calling a game role.
Speaker 6: I mean we get right back into the world of like which one or the other is lifting each other up and making them look better in front of the I don't know.
Speaker 1: If that's true. I can't really work together.
Speaker 2: I do like the the the old Travolta movie Wild Hogs vibe of putting Al, Tom and Bill in the booth and be like, Hey, everyone thinks you're done all three.
Speaker 1: Al, you're washed.
Speaker 2: Bill, You're you have no personality, and nobody likes you. Tom like you. You're not cut out for this. You you don't deserve a number.
Speaker 1: One year off You're you're no Greg Olson.
Speaker 2: And you're no Gregil And then letting them revolutionize the sport or the broadcasting business.
Speaker 1: All right, Greg wild Hogum.
Speaker 5: All right, we probably only have so much time, right We're doing this once? Yeah, one time around, Okay, because I've been starting to prep for a.
Speaker 1: Free agency list the off season stuff.
Speaker 3: You're right now during.
Speaker 5: The show, No getting up a drinking some egg yolks hardly, but I started to, you know, tinker with the list, and there's some around tires.
Speaker 1: There's some big tire.
Speaker 5: There's some big names out there that I think are going to get to this free agency period and they're going to be like a little disappointed. Guys like a Chase Young or an Austin Ecklor Devin White, guys who thought maybe going into this they were going to change their life with these big time contracts and they get there and it's a little disappointing. But I'm going to have the hardest talk with a free agent who's facing a different challenge. And it's really for the teams that are out there circling this free agent, and it's it's a little bit for you too, Dan, And it's for everyone that's getting ready to give Kirk Cousins one hundred million dollars guaranteed over for two years because I think he'll get that money and it and it's a little for Kirk too, because Kirk, the history of thirty six year old quarterbacks coming off a torn achilles tear expected to save a franchise, you know, is doesn't exist. It's a little for Aaron Rodgers too, the history of forty year old quarterbacks coming back from an achilles tear and expected to raise a franchise. But he's different, doesn't exist. It's different, Kirk like you. We've watched you on this show. The ups, the downs, and what I always remember with with Chris always a supporter of Kirk, and he was right.
Speaker 1: I think for about we were the kissing Cousin.
Speaker 5: For six games every season, pretty and I remember this as a qb INEX writer. For six games every season, he is like the fifth best quarterback.
Speaker 1: In the entire league. He's elite.
Speaker 5: And then other things happen. There's ups, there's downs, and I know Kirk was improving. It was in this system for Minnesota. Kirk Cousins, like you tore your achilles right at the pick of peak of those six games, and that's all anyone remembers. No one really remembers the ten years before that. There were there was ups, there were downs where you were very good. You were a better than average starting quarterback without a doubt, but you weren't like MVP conversation Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 1: The whole time.
Speaker 5: You were that for about a month every year, and you never knew when that month was gonna come, but it usually didn't last. Now you're thirty six years old and you're coming off a torn achilles. That to me is a massive red flag in the sense that if a rookie was coming in with a torn achilles, imagine how that would affect their draft stock. And yet teams aren't going to care. They're gonna watch those last six games of the season, see how excellent it was. Maybe it's gonna be Minnesota. And because quarterbacks are so underpaid, I believe like the value of Patrick Mahomes in a in a free market would be five hundred million dollars or something like that. Something bonkers that we can't even imagine that Kirk is going to get all this money, because it's very rare that these quarterbacks are actually available. But I think you got to have a hard conversation with yourself, Kirk, of who you're going to be coming back and teams who you expect him to be when he comes back before you pay him more money. And he's probably gonna cost more money than justin Herbert and all these guys on a year to year base.
Speaker 6: So you're not suggesting that Cousins pull back the reins and say, I don't need as much.
Speaker 1: Now takewa you hear talking, What are you going to do talking to the team. Yes, But just like the talcons.
Speaker 5: Don't necessarily believe that you're gonna come in and you're gonna be at that level that you were at before.
Speaker 1: There's nothing he can do.
Speaker 6: He doesn't strike me as someone like, you know, drenched in hubris to begin now like.
Speaker 5: But expectation wise, I just feel like everyone saying, Okay, let's slot in Kirk Cousins, and he's that guy when he's either joining a new team or he's.
Speaker 1: Coming off a torn achilles. It's just a lot to ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new team or maybe not new team, new offense, new expectations, all that stuff. But he, you know, he's no stranger to being doubted himself, whether it was in Washington or Minnesota going into this year, you know, Minnesota actively letting it be known that we're not looking to do more business with you, and then he went out and was playing maybe the best ball of his career before the injury. I think he's a little different than Aaron Rodgers because he is, you know, four or five years younger, even Testa Verdi or had an achilles came back, wasn't the same he was I think thirty seven or thirty eight by that point. He's not a guy that's known for being an explosive athlete to start with. He's, you know, part of a dying breed, almost of a pocket passer. So I think you have things working to his advantage. Now, would it be an overpay if he's a slightly lesser version of what he was previously, Yes, but what he instantly, in my mind, still brings stability.
Speaker 1: To your quarterback position.
Speaker 2: Also, yes, it's yeah, there's some buyer beware, but I would live with it if I were a team that if I had Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky, uh and Mason Rudolph in house to use that Steelers example again, or Desmond Ritter or Sam Howe, like like a.
Speaker 6: Two year deal we're talking about here, you're not signing away like the rest of time.
Speaker 2: I guess it would depend on what his market is. But yeah, two three year deal, I'd still do it.
Speaker 1: I guess that is what I'm saying. But there's absolutely a chance that.
Speaker 6: I could be One thing I like about what you said though it's like the teams are just glued watching his tape, his high at the high end of his tape from last season.
Speaker 1: It's like his health is a complete unknown.
Speaker 2: Like your pept know that your pep talk could also equally and maybe more appropriately be directed at these teams.
Speaker 1: Anything really is where I would be.
Speaker 2: But that's but Kirk's He'll be a little bit confused when you're saying to him at the same time to be like Greg, they're all good points.
Speaker 1: What do you want like me to do? I'm not sure I have played the colleagden artists. I've played the colleat and role of not really understanding the assignment.
Speaker 2: But it's it's good, it's interesting. So he's an unre strictly free agent. He is Is he number one? He's not going to be number one.
Speaker 1: It's a quarterback.
Speaker 2: I would think I would have built in and if the value like in terms of I.
Speaker 5: Have a hard time with Chris, Joe, Josh, there's there's a I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess I haven't.
Speaker 5: Fully discied dout not till February. When's the last time Chris Jones is in the mix. Josh Allen from the Jaguars is in the mix. Kirk's obviously in the mix.
Speaker 1: But if Cousins is Cousins, he's, well, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, injury her Cousins was playing at a top what eight level as a quarterback and now he's a free agent injury.
Speaker 1: Wait, who's the last time there was a big name veteran quarterback. That's what I was. I was looking for Cousins. That was the last time it's happened or something good.
Speaker 5: I think he was number one, like on the list that actually gets put out when free agency starts. Usually there's this first list where it's like Lamar Jackson was number one last year because he technically was.
Speaker 2: What about the pretenders that put out a similar list? Where are they put in Kirk?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: We don't talk about them.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: My process is I do not look at those, and I do look at them the minute I have my list, and then I think, oh, okay, that's interesting that I miss anyone, But I do not want to look until.
Speaker 1: I have it all right, Mark close it out for us.
Speaker 6: I did not misunderstand the assignment, but I took it less as a pep talk.
Speaker 1: And more as a warning to yourself.
Speaker 6: And it's not based on the fan base of this team, who I think have been through hell. They've seen their team relocated, they have been let down a year after year, They've been overly pumped up as a team that's going to go to the super Bowl almost every summer, and they find a way to undress it.
Speaker 1: Well, we've all done it. Everyone's guilty of it.
Speaker 6: This is directed at the team that I find already to be on my radar.
Speaker 1: It is the Chargers.
Speaker 6: You hire Jim Harbaugh, great job, great move, way to regalvanize your marketing, everything else. But the attitude around some of what I'm seeing has me a little annoyed, and I think it has to the fans. I wish the fans all the good, so don't confuse that. That's all i'd say to the team and to the people messaging what this off season means, because we go through this with one or two teams every off season and it usually ends in total wreckage. I would say this, Chargers, don't over celebrate. Okay, took a couple bullet points here.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 6: Don't caress yourselves and put special oils on your forehead just yet. Settle down your social media team. Stop naming pets after Jim Harbaugh. Go stark and spartan and dark and work in the shadows. Become pure evil. Take out the enemy with a complete lack of mercy and restraint. Destroy houses and townships. Don't even view children as vulnerable. Animals are your enemy too. Rip roads and highways to shreds. Pull fruit off fruit trees and burn it in stinking piles.
Speaker 1: Destroy books and films.
Speaker 6: Celebrating anything in your way, less self celebratory tweeting, and twenty twenty three, before you've accomplished a single particle of good, before you tell us how great it all is in essence, be everything the Chargers have never been, or leave.
Speaker 1: Us be go do it? Do you have a kid? Kill kids in there?
Speaker 6: I said, don't assume the kids are vulnerable or innocence, something.
Speaker 3: Like why the fruit trees?
Speaker 1: What wreckage anything in your way?
Speaker 6: Enough with telling us now on Twitter that everything's perfect Like you these teams. I get what they're doing, and it's mostly for children or gullibles, but like, settle down with yourselves, go start five and oh and we down Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: And we also push that out to.
Speaker 2: People who celebrate the Chargers a lot and just be like, do we have to hear it again now this summer?
Speaker 3: Yes, to celebrate though, but.
Speaker 1: This is like Jets Aaron Rodgers heart k but this year is different, right?
Speaker 6: But this to me was a targeted attack, an isolated attack on the team itself. And then I hope the media would understand to take on tell.
Speaker 1: You why it will not.
Speaker 5: My takeaway here is Mark needs to mute the Chargers account for our mental health.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'll tell you why it's different than instance, the Jets had hard knocks Greg because nobody was pumping up that team before Rogers got there. We've been hearing the Chargers get pumped up for years and years for different reasons.
Speaker 5: App the Chargers like making their little av I Harbaugh and doing funny little Harbor videos.
Speaker 6: I don't even think Jim Harbaugh would like that or really want that.
Speaker 1: Harbor doesn't even know the Internet, and I think I know. But his thing isn't let's come and anoint me and put it on your overall game.
Speaker 5: He kind of is like he went on CBS and he was like, I was starstruck meeting Justin Herbert. He is kind of like a hype creator. Not on purpose, but he just naturally.
Speaker 1: That guy let.
Speaker 6: Him do it without telling us that he's already done it. But I don't need to hear that. You're starstruck by Justin Herbert. Just make him a star.
Speaker 3: Are they going to be on hard knocks?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, well wait, new coach though new coach. I thought that they Yeah, but they can't they kill that. No, they didn't kill it, but a team can volunteer. It suggests they will at this point.
Speaker 2: They probably, But you're saying you don't want them to that this is that would be a perfect example of don't go on.
Speaker 6: Hard I actually would want that time about the act. That's a whole separate thing. But that would be a spicy, juicy access. We're going to manifest it, all right.
Speaker 1: I like it burning the fruit. I liked killing the kids, not as I didn't say kill kids. I said the text.
Speaker 6: Don't even view children, destroy houses and townships. Don't even view children as vulnerable. Don't be fooled by a child?
Speaker 2: Are they saying I destroy everything, including children who don't view them as don't they assume vulnerable?
Speaker 1: Right? They may be in your way. They may fool you. I'm glad that they may lure this.
Speaker 2: If I was a little confused, there's probably other people that'd be like, what about kids?
Speaker 1: Well, but now now you've clarified that.
Speaker 6: Even so, I'm not saying you shouldn't view children as vulnerable. The Chargers should not. That's also it was. It's not a societal message.
Speaker 1: What about Phil Rivers's children. There's that's an army. It's not attached to the it's not attached to the organization. At this point, well, he's like.
Speaker 6: A member of their Ring of Honor, and then it applies to his children if you're the Chargers, not Philip Rivers. All right, they're not above suspicion, trust no one. They're not above suspicion. Right, Not totally clear, but I'm with you, says dog. Thank you mostly got another updated. All right, here's here's the situation.
Speaker 2: By the way, voting closed on that award over overseas and they're announcing a winner on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, did you guys vote for yourselves or no?
Speaker 5: No, of course not no. Get to give them an email, uncouth. It is one of those things.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you this, Mark, I know you're resolute as a person, stand by it. If we do not win that award, you will not have Dan and Mark on the show. And those that want a solo Greg around the NFL, they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna get it. You're gonna get it. So well.
Speaker 2: The only problem, well know, by right, I'm being in real time. What we we made it clear last week. We said, if if you don't vote us the victors of this particular contest, we're going to Mexico or somewhere else.
Speaker 1: And then we said, do you want to join us too? Greg? And Greg goes now, so now you're staying here show ten nominees.
Speaker 3: I think I remember this. I was here for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, I we asked you if you wanted to join us in the walkout you.
Speaker 3: Did calling to Mexico.
Speaker 5: Well, I just assumed it's not too late. Do you want to join us when when there's ten nominees?
Speaker 3: Don't love that attitude.
Speaker 1: The only problem with this call to action happening right now.
Speaker 6: People now are spurred like I don't want too late, too late voting.
Speaker 1: So we did give them a week, we did.
Speaker 6: I we could have put it out on different platforms if we really if we're just leaving, but we are leaving the show.
Speaker 1: I will leave the show.
Speaker 3: Lessons we're learned.
Speaker 1: I mean we could if you want to. No, no, no, no, your word. We said it. We're leaving. We will leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no empty threats.
Speaker 1: Here, Where are we gonna go? Wait? I can still take Colleen right north or Satric.
Speaker 3: I might be going with them.
Speaker 1: Though, Greg take the ambition and take it under the tape.
Speaker 6: Is already formulating a new lineup.
Speaker 1: See who's available at least? Oh my god, it's so real. All right, I've seen Bill Barnwell at the moment, Bill, I think they lost.
Speaker 2: I voted against them. All Right, here we go. We'll be back on Thursday. It is the annual don't say super Bowl show. So if you're already sick, if you're annoyed about the teams in the game, you just want to talk about something else to connect to the NFL, that's your show either Connie, thank you, Yeah, you've said it all.
Speaker 1: We'll do it again. Let's do it again. Heed the call.