Speaker 1: A quick reminder. All episodes are available now with a subscription. To subscribe, go to True Crime Clubhouse on Apple Podcasts. It's just two ninety nine a month, half the price of a Cafe Lotte. Please follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube at Orbit Media FM.
Speaker 2: Previously on Bad Cops for weeks, Detective David McDougall has been tailing Baltimore drug dealer Aaron Anderson. He suspects that Anderson's been supplying a lot of the city's deadly heroine.
Speaker 3: I started doing lengthy surveillances and following him, trying to piece together his organization.
Speaker 2: When McDougall finally moves in and arrests him, he finds a mysterious GPS tracker stuck to the bottom of Anderson's car.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking somebody else was on my guy and didn't tell me.
Speaker 2: McDougall discovers the device belongs to a Baltimore City cop, but it's not police issue. The cop bought it with his own credit card.
Speaker 3: There's no way a police officer is going to pay for his own tracker that really wasn't adding up.
Speaker 2: After his arrest, Anderson tells McDougall that just a few nights before, while he was out, two mass men kicked down his door and ransacked his apartment. McDougall starts to think the unthinkable.
Speaker 3: At the time the home invasion happened, Anderson's far away from his apartment. That is a great time to try to steal his drugs and money because he's not there. What if the police officer put the tracker on Anderson's car the track his movements to conduct the home invasion.
Speaker 2: A cop robbing a drug dealer, and not just any cop, an officer from an elite, plain closed unit, one of the crown jewels of the Baltimore Police Department. I'm Jessica and hop and this is bad Cops from the BBC World Service. The True Story of Baltimore's Gun Trace Task Force, Part two, The Wire Tap. It's two thousand and seven. The homicide rate in Baltimore is rising out of control. As part of a new strategy to fight back, the city's leaders create a specialized plane clothes unit, the Gun Trace Task Force.
Speaker 3: Their mission is to target gun dealers, trace guns used in crimes, and stem the flow of illegal weapons.
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be a smarter era of policing in Baltimore. Plain clothes officers like the Gun Trace Task Force are investigators. They don't answer nine one one calls. They're not confined to any one part of the city. They drive around in unmarked cars, wearing jeans and sneakers, trying to blend in with the neighborhood on the streets. Locals call these officers jump out boys because they pull up fast on street corners, throw open the doors and jump out on whoever runs. That's how they rack up the arrests. The top brass love it. It means press conferences with guns laid out on the table. The commissioner gets to stand behind the podium looking good. The Gun Traced Task Force are the Baltimore Police Department's Golden Boys, but Detective David McDougall suspects that one of these Golden Boys is involved in the robbery at the home of drug dealer Aaron Anderson. It's a hunt he has to keep a secret because if he's right, the implications are massive and anyway, McDougall's a drug detective, it's not his job to investigate other cops, so he takes his information to the people who do the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The case is assigned to FBI Special Agent Erica Jensen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, he and I already talked about that, We're going to do it this way, just to assure the audio quality.
Speaker 2: Erica Jensen's works some tough cases, running down Colombian and Mexican drug cartels, trekking street gangs in Baltimore, and at this point she's part of the FBI's public Corruption Squad going after dirty cops and politicians. Investigating police is tricky work. In the past, cases were blown when word of the investigation leaked out.
Speaker 4: Police officers no tactics. They know how law enforcement works, so we knew that we had to be super careful, and it did drive a lot of the techniques we used and techniques we didn't use.
Speaker 2: Agent Jensen knows she has to keep the case tightly under wraps. No one outside of her team can be allowed to know a thing, not even the Baltimore Police Commissioner. Detective MacDougall briefs Agent Jensen about the mystery tracker he found under the car of drug dealer Aaron Anderson and how it was bought by a cop from this elite unit, the Gun Trace Task Force. While McDougall continues his drug investigation, agent Jensen starts looking into the task force officer. She's looking for any kind of link between him and Anderson.
Speaker 4: It was very plausible to me that there was a police officer that might have been involved in protecting a drug crew. That was where we were in the very early stages.
Speaker 2: But she finds no connection the task force officer. The owner of the tracker is clean. Still, Erica's gut tells her something's not quite right here, so she starts looking into the other officers in the same unit, and she pulls their files. One of them belongs to another detective in the squad, Jammel Rayam, and as she's flipping through the pages of his file, she spot something.
Speaker 4: I shook my head like I must be looking at like did I mix the files up? Like this can't possibly be right?
Speaker 2: Who was right? On a list of Ram's previous addresses, she sees that he used to live on the same street as Aaron Anderson, the dealer whose apartment was broken into by the two masked men.
Speaker 4: Not only was it the same street address, it was the same apartment building. The apartments were one away from each other.
Speaker 2: Right away, she knows this can't be a coincidence.
Speaker 4: He would have known how to get in the building. He would have known what that door was like, he would have known what the apartment looked like, just all of it.
Speaker 2: Now she's thinking, maybe Detective Ram was one of the masked men at Anderson's apartment, and if Rayam is involved in the home invasion, there's a good chance that his task force partner is too, because they're not just work buddies, they're really close. And this guy's name is Momodu Gondo.
Speaker 4: That was the moment when I think I was like, yep, they were in there. These guys did this. They did this home invasion. They had to have.
Speaker 2: Rumors have been floating around Gondo for years. He's from a pretty rough part of northeast Baltimore, and he stayed close with a few of his old friends from the neighborhood. Some of them have grown up to be players in the city's drug game, and when FBI Special agent Erica Jensen starts looking through Gondo's phone records, she sees he's in regular contact with a pretty major heroin dealer, Antonio Shropshire. He's a rival of Aaron Anderson. Drug cop David McDougall has been investigating both of these guys and he's been running a wiretap on Shropshire and other members of his crew.
Speaker 5: WHOA, what's that?
Speaker 6: I ain't lying? You've got an attention stow yesterday?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah yeah love Yo listen yo stolen yo I mean oh no, no, I ain't know.
Speaker 5: It's like that yo.
Speaker 6: No yo, no, Yo, I ain't know it's like that yo.
Speaker 2: Detective McDougall is pretty troubled by what he's hearing on some of these calls.
Speaker 3: This is a cop talking to a drug dealer. He knows he's a cop, he knows he's a drug dealer.
Speaker 2: It all sounds awfully suspicious, but it doesn't really prove anything. McDougall needs way more to build his case. He needs to know where Shropshire is going and who else he's meeting with.
Speaker 3: So we made a decision to put a tracker on his car. It comes to the tracker again.
Speaker 2: So with the tap on Shropshire's phone and now with a tracker on his car, McDougall waits, he's in what he calls the war room. It's where all the wired tap calls come in. It's kind of hectic. He's got a bunch of phone lines to monitor. Scribbled across a whiteboard are all the tracker numbers they're using. And so he's sitting there and then he's got a text message.
Speaker 3: It's a GPS removal alert.
Speaker 2: It's an alert that tells him one of his trackers is being tampered with. McDougall's not immediately alarmed. He uses a lot of trackers. He thinks it's probably an old one from a previous job, but seconds later.
Speaker 3: Door tamper alert.
Speaker 2: The same tracker is now being opened and examined.
Speaker 3: All right, now, I'm a little concerned, and I'm like, what tracker number is at I pauls for a second, and I scream at my partner he found the tracker.
Speaker 2: Antonio Shropshire has discovered McDougall's tracker under his car.
Speaker 3: We're complete nuclear meltdown mode at that point, looking at each other like, at this point, there's something we can do.
Speaker 2: What McDougall doesn't realize is that Shropshare has taken his car in for service. The mechanics in the garage, put the vehicle up on a lift and looking underneath, Shropshire spots the device Back in the war room. As McDougall is scrambling to figure out what to do next, a number flashes across his screen. It's Shropshire's cell phone. He's making a call. McDougall listens in.
Speaker 6: Hello, hold up Poppy, Hello, what's up?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 2: Shropshire is calling his friend, Mamma Duke Gondo, the Task Force detective, and he's got an important question for him.
Speaker 6: I'm listening to the set the car to the shop, okay, and uh, the thing was the thing was?
Speaker 7: What it?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Shropshire is telling Gondo. He's taken the car to the shop and the car was lit. He means the tracker he's just found underneath it. He wants Detective Gondo's advice, and his friend is happy to oblige.
Speaker 6: Yeah, basically, when that something like that happened, you know, is basically you know what I mean. On the other side, you know, it's just a loss you feeling, but definitely somebody's been tracking you.
Speaker 2: Somebody's been tracking you. Detective Gondo tells his friend someone from the other side, the police, his own side. Then Gondo seems to check himself. It's like he realizes he said too much.
Speaker 6: You know, I know no topics. So whatever you do, you do.
Speaker 2: I don't even know who I'm talking to. It's an odd moment. Is Gondo thinking someone might be listening in?
Speaker 6: Just be mindful? Yeah, just be mindful of that, brother, that's whatever you do. But yeah, you definitely go get rid over it.
Speaker 2: The call ends with Gondo telling Shropshire to ditch the tracker. In the war room, Detective McDougall is sitting there, floored by what he's just heard.
Speaker 3: Like the purposes phone call is, hey, help me out. I'm your Joe Delar friend, and this is what's going on.
Speaker 6: I need help you.
Speaker 2: McDougall shares the call with Special Agent Erica Jensen, his contact at the FBI. It's exactly what she's been waiting for.
Speaker 4: It was what we would call like the dirty call, the criminal call.
Speaker 2: She's hoping she can now convince a judge to greenlight a wire tap on Detective Gondo's cell phone.
Speaker 4: You don't just write a wiretap on someone's phone because they're a criminal. You have to show that they're using their phone and furtherance of the crimes. And this was the call that got us that.
Speaker 5: Yeahs get the spicy chicken, no tomato, no no notice, She's I mean no none as I mean.
Speaker 2: Now, Agent Jensen's catching all kinds of snippets of conversation from Gondo's phone. Most of it has nothing to do with illegal activity, but it opens a window onto just how close some of these guys really are. At one point, Gondo even confides in a member OF's crew about his ailing mother.
Speaker 5: They're talking about my mother.
Speaker 6: Gonna have to have hospite kid.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I mean. Shit won't be too much longer. Man ass his course, right, Just know, whenever you're ready talking right in, bro right right right right?
Speaker 5: I got you, yo, all right.
Speaker 2: The call ends with the dealer telling the cop that he's there for him. It's a very human moment. But even more suspicious than his calls with drug dealers are Gondo's calls with his own Task Force partner, Detective Jamel ram I can't do it no.
Speaker 6: More, Yo. It's either we get it or we don't, or we come close to something. But hey, and you get away with.
Speaker 5: A lot you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He's the cop agent Jensen suspects rob the home of Shropshire's rival dealer Aaron Anderson.
Speaker 4: I mean they have.
Speaker 2: Yeo she I feel sure that Ram and Gondo are up to something.
Speaker 6: Stupid, stupid, yo, stupid.
Speaker 2: But what exactly? It's impossible to know.
Speaker 4: You hear conversations over a wiretap, but that's not everything. So you only see a little piece of it, sometimes just a tiny portion of it.
Speaker 6: Not talking. That's what you got paid cash.
Speaker 4: You don't see everything, and you're not hearing the whole story about the dynamics. You're not hearing about conversations occurring when they're not talking on the phone.
Speaker 6: God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what are her options? Well, one of them is surveillance, but that's super risky. Gondo's a detective. He knows how to spot a tail.
Speaker 6: Me yo, he got a method to his men.
Speaker 4: This was the kind of case where we did not do a lot of surveillance for very good reasons. We did a very small amount of surveillance, but we were very careful to not get burned. To get seen and identified by a subject. It does happen, because certainly they would understand what that meant, and either they would change their behavior their tactics, or they would stop the behavior altogether.
Speaker 5: Imagine bringing up.
Speaker 2: There is something else. She could try, bugging Gondo's vehicle with a listening device, but that's going to take some real planning. Gondo spends a lot of time in that car. Agent Jensen decides bugging the car is her best option, and the opportunity comes when Gondo leads town on a trip. Jensen and her team have just a few hours to execute the plan. An FBI unit races over to Gondo's house. They disabled the car alarm, but they need more time. It's a complex operation which could easily attract unwanted attention, so they swapped the car out with an identical decoy vehicle, and then they spirit Gondo's car off to another location. They're the FBI technician and start installing the bug and it's no easy job. Gondo's trained in surveillance. He knows how to spot a listening device, so the agents have to hide it someplace in his car where he'll never find it. While the agents are doing that, under the front seat of Gondo's car, they find something else. It's a bag of heroin. It's a crazy discovery, but Erica knows she's onto something much bigger, so she tells her people put the heroin back. Finally they're done. Gondo's car is now bugged and back just where he left it, parked outside his house. The agents slip away unnoticed. The next night, Gondo's out driving in his car. Riding up next to him is his wingman, Jamel Raham. Agent Jensen is in the FBI war room listening in. Almost all of the gun trays task Force are out on this night. They're riding in separate vehicles, and the bug hidden in Gondo's car picks up the radio calls between them, they spot a driver at a gas station. Something about him attracts their attention, and the driver notices them too. He hits the gas and takes off. The cops scrambled to follow.
Speaker 6: The light.
Speaker 2: No light, no lights, no lights, that's ram he's saying. Not to turn on the red and blue flashing lights. All Agent Jensen can hear are the sounds of engines revving and broken bits of voices. Hello, you can't really make it out on this recording, but there's just been a huge wreck. The car they were chasing, blows through a red light and plows into another car. Both vehicles are totaled and the drivers are badly injured.
Speaker 7: Oh like, go around, lay up the help out.
Speaker 2: But Gondo, Raam and the rest of the unit don't stop. They speed through the streets of Baltimore, driving a few more blocks before finally they pull over. Behind them is Carnage, but they seem more concerned that they might have been caught on camera.
Speaker 7: Wayne, y, they got here, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: They reassure each other that no one saw them. Another of the unit's detectives, Daniel Hersel, is even joking about it.
Speaker 7: Hey, I was in the car, just driving out.
Speaker 2: I was just driving home.
Speaker 7: What but with Wayne all we heard like bullet Bardy, what we could go with what he beardy?
Speaker 2: We could go and stop the slips at ten thirty. That's Daniel Hersel again. He's now suggesting they should falsify their time cards, make it look like they weren't even working when the accident happened.
Speaker 7: That Wayne, you know, Carky, that what happened, you know, right.
Speaker 2: That's the thing with Wayne, These car chases, this is what happens they're talking about. Sergeant Wayne Jenkins, the leader of the Gun Trace Task Force. He's known for making big arrests and going beyond the call of duty. Just the year before, he even got a bronze star for bravery.
Speaker 7: Hey, I wonder what was that car? But I'll be cured.
Speaker 2: Go back to HQ. That last voice is Jenkins. He's ordering his men back to headquarters. In the FBI War Room, Special Agent Erica Jensen has been listening to all of this drama unfold.
Speaker 4: At the time, we were you know what just happened.
Speaker 2: She's just heard a group of police officers who swore an oath to serve and protect fleeing the scene of a serious accident that they caused, all on the orders of their boss, Jenkins.
Speaker 4: To me, it was just the dereliction of duty. The way they hid, you know, and stood by but yet didn't assist. It just bothered me a lot, you know, I was angry about it.
Speaker 2: The case is now blown wide open. Agent Jensen realizes it's way bigger than she imagined. She thought the task force might have a couple of dirty cops. Now she believes most of the unit is rotten.
Speaker 4: We are no longer looking at all, right, We might have a couple guys that are basically associates of a drug organization or a drug conspiracy. We have a whole other set of conduct that's going on. So that was really the beginning of the shift, I think in the investigation.
Speaker 2: And right at the heart of it all is the Baltimore Police Department's golden boy from the Gun Trace Task Force, Sergeant Wayne Jenkins. So what else have Jenkins and his crew been trying to cover up? And just how dirty are these cops? That's next time you've been listening to Cops from the BBC World Service with me Jessica Lussenhock. The program was mixed by Neil Churchill additional mixing by James Beard. The producer is Ben Crichton and the editor is Richard Varden.
Speaker 1: If you're enjoying bad Cops, make sure to check out season one of The Burden. You'll meet the greatest detective in Brooklyn history. He takes on the worst criminals until one day the criminals take him on