Speaker 1: Hi guys, I'm Jen Fessler from Two Jersey Jays. I'm without my partner Jackie today, but guess who I am with, the beautiful Kelly Bensmoon and we, by the way, are not in Jersey. We are not We are not in Jersey. We are in Napa Valley. We're in the Napa Valley.
Speaker 2: Have you been here before? I have been here before, but can imagine today? We were at the concert live from the vineyard. It was such a vibe. All of the wine, all of the country music, so dreamy. Everybody was in cowboy boots. You're looking fire, by the way, thank you. You're looking fire too, Thank you so much like the Feathers. I was like, you know what, let's.
Speaker 1: You caught you well when I text you earlier today about like what we bring, what you're wearing, and you said to me, I'm just going to bring like go whole Coachella, right.
Speaker 2: And I like, yeah, it's like a country I know.
Speaker 1: But then I had to stop and call my daughter Rachel and say, so, what would one where to Coachella do such a thing? Anyway, said feathers and cowboy boots. She didn't say this.
Speaker 2: She didn't say bikinis.
Speaker 1: You know, all right, you guys, but I am so excited, first of all, well obviously to be here at NAPA, but to be with Kelly, because so Kelly bensimone, I'm sure to most of you, but to me is iconic. So Kelly goes back on New York Housewives. You know, the years where it was I'm sorry, the golden years to me, but your seasons on the Housewives were I'm sorry, no offense to anyone listening, the best of the best.
Speaker 2: They were.
Speaker 3: They really were, right, they were, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Luena and I talk about it all the time and how just the relationships that were nurtured during that time were very raw and very real. I mean, do you remember too, we didn't have social media, right, so like everybody now, Like when I was on Ultimate Girls Ship, I was like, You're like, you're in a relationship with social media. Yeah right, I'm not just the Housewives so true.
Speaker 1: So it is so.
Speaker 2: Different, so different. And the way that you play or the way that I don't play to anybody. I'm just like do myself, which is you know, bittersweet. But the way that some of the ladies play to the camera based on their social media following, it's really strong, and I just don't pay attention. I'm like, if you like me, you're gonna like me. And if you don't like me, maybe you like me someday.
Speaker 1: That's the healthy way to do housewives right there. And it's very unusual actually, but it's just you're right. There was no the social media of it. There was none of that back in the day. So like we would watch an episode and whatever, get to work the next morning and just go through. Like when Kelly said I'm here and you're here, that was the best. I mean, I'm talking about that whatever. But you know, it was like it was such a different thing.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny because it was the Brass Monkey and i'd been you know, there was like a lot of waiting throughout the day of when we were supposed to film, and I didn't realize this because I did not watch the show. So I made a concerted effort because they were like, this is reality TV and I had been on I'd done had my own show before, so I was like, Okay, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Gonna be wake out what I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I had a show call behind the hedges where I interviewed like the best of the best, and I went shark diving. I was so much fun. I know that it was great, it was really fun. But what happened was as much fun as House was. House Lives is a really really fun dynamic. Well, what happened that day was that we were supposed to be filming, and what I did not realize is that when she was doing interviews, she was saying like she was setting me up. She was she was not setting me up for me, she was setting me up for the viewer. She was saying, this is Kelly Bensimone. This is who she is. She hates me. She's a you know, she's a bitch. I'm just a minion, you know, poor me. She's like the cheerleader and things. She's amazing and I'm an awful, awful And so she tried to set up this narrative and then when I got there and she's like, I'm late. I'm just like, you are being so rude. You made me wait all day long. You're a child. She just acts like a child, and she continues to.
Speaker 1: So I so, Kelly, and I just for the listeners. So we now we've become friends. But before, we just keep running into each other, right, I guess do iHeart Well.
Speaker 2: We ran into each other on the on the Red carpet at iHeart Radio, which was so much fun. But then also at the movie premiere Amateur with Ronnie Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we ran into each other there, and then we.
Speaker 2: Did run into each other. We literally like had like a melt down. Who you saw each other. We were having so much fun. And by the way, Sonya Morgan, who I love so much, She's the most spirited, beautiful human. She and I said, Jen, you can't do you can't do all that, you can't do all.
Speaker 3: These I yes.
Speaker 1: So I'm like walking the red carpet and there's all these paparazzi and I'm like trying to stop and like push my way into them like a desperado. And Kelly saved me. She's like, because it's like, so I look, so whatever, just desperado.
Speaker 2: That is not true. You did not look Janfessler there last second, I was on the House size on New.
Speaker 1: Jersey as a friend a two years but meanwhile Sonia was working it and Kelly's like, just stand back. If they come to you, they come to you. So one of the first favors that Kelly did for me. But then you introduced me to a photographer and you said, Jen, this is why Beth and he hates me. Yes, this guy, who I guess was is a photographer, nice guy, very new I guess was at the time her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: So he was taking photos of an event at my house and she came with him and then I, you know, he wanted to see the house and he wanted to go through it. So I mean, I know him very well. So I was taking him through everything, and she like literally got her panties in a wad and thought.
Speaker 1: You were trying to steal her that No, no, no, yeah, all right, we haven't like the bethany of it all. Put it yeah, I won't put it on ice for a few minutes because.
Speaker 2: But you know what let's not put on ice is that we were on this red carpet and you were and I chatting up a storm. Everyone else is taking photos like Laura's fish. Jan goes, I'm gonna eat the photo. I'm going a photo so and and your is so sweet and he's like, are you into the photo? And I was like, yeah, I'm like if whatever photo you want you get like, you just get whatever phone. Kelly's like, not a starker and I am.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, I am self proclaimed. I'm like, are you thinking that I got dressed up? I spent two hundred and fifty dollars on the makeup and I'm not getting a picture next to Laurence Fishburn.
Speaker 2: It was his wife. His wife is so beautiful, and I.
Speaker 1: Felt a little badly. She was a little scared. She's like, your house like an animal was, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: And then you look at the photo and you go, oh my god, no, oh my god. So the problem is with my husband's I was a very star man. He's a he's an attorney.
Speaker 1: He's a corporate attorney, securities or something, I don't know, something uninteresting, but he like people trust him.
Speaker 2: You don't know, how do you get through the day.
Speaker 1: It was like literally like there was no you couldn't even see us in the picture, and he didn't have the wherewithal to say, guys whatever, any that's for a different episode, but.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sorry. One thing that I really really love about you is that we've had all these funny, fun things that have happened. So it's like Laurence Fishburne, my carpet, Sonya, all these things. I heart radio. But I remember distinctly we're waiting for Lawrence for you to get hit the photo and I asked you guys about your relationship because I did not know, and you were so genuinely open right for that, and I just was very taken aback and just like, oh my god, what. You're such a beautiful human because you're just so vulnerable. And I think that's something, it's the truth, and it's something that I've learned from being on this podcast. From and I do part two, I've learned to be open and I've learned to be more vulnerable and it's helped me out so much in my personal life so much. But you are just inherently very vulnerable, and it's a beautiful thing. You know.
Speaker 3: It used to feel more vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Now it feels like like when you start to share stuff, it starts to feel like a strength. Like in other words, So if I tell you my shit, and there's lots of it, right whoever it is, I find it like immediately you'll start opening up then to me, So you like connect with people differently.
Speaker 2: But the other piece is you don't do it at a time that's strategic. You just are not open, which is so disarming, and just like women or not like that. Women are just not like that. They don't just jump into friendships because they're like, I don't know you, who are you? You know, give me your bio. I might say, okay for me to friends with you. I mean, you're just very disarming. And it really like, that was a really fun night. It's the truth. It was a really fun night. But I was also like, oh my god. And I was also I learned something from that small little moment, which most people like, you know, I just listen to what you guys were saying, and that how you guys had had your differences and how you were back together. And I also thought that was incredible because most people, most relationships, women or men are just like, you're not doing what I like, I'm just gonna get rid of you. Yeah, And basically that is what it is. I mean, you can say it however you want. You can say they were uncoupling, they were doing this whatever. But most men and women they're just like, you're just not You're not you're not filling this void. You're done and you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we definitely, I mean went through so much Mutch Definitely, we definitely did go through a lot. And I get very also very lucky and I can do you know something because you're good Kelly. On.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. This is how you know she's a person.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here's how you know that Kelly is a host, she's not just a guest. On I do part two? You have in three minutes you have switched this entire thing. This is about you, And all of a sudden, I know this is like what No? Like clearly that's why they have made you a host. What else do you want to know about me?
Speaker 2: Kelly? No, tell me about me.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you anything about my marriage for house.
Speaker 2: What do you want to know about me? Well, I'm just thinking, I mean thinking.
Speaker 3: But it's honestly, and by the way, I don't always.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should be on New York maybe if I if there is this you do I can't that's the dream.
Speaker 1: But and then I'm going to ask you a question that's going to relate directly to my next statement, which is that I would want to be on Old New York. And now I want to ask you about New New York. So tell me what you think in terms of the last two seasons.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that this is even insulting.
Speaker 1: I think it's pretty well knowned it has didn't resonate the same way that the reboot has not resonated, like you know, Old New York, And why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: I think one of the reasons that the reboot it does not resonated is because women are so focused on their brands, and I don't even know what brands are talking about. I've never even heard of any of their brands. I love Jenna Lyons. I had no idea that she had eyelashes. I didn't I didn't even know she before. I had no idea. So I've never even heard of any of these brands. And that was that also just rubbed me wrong because when I went on the show, I was recently divorced, I had two young children. I was single, very very very single, and I was is literally like they were like, don't talk of being single because it's not it's not cool. It's not cool to be a single parent, Like that's not sexy. I'm like, well, I'm not even forty yet, and I'm I think of myself as attractive. Yeah, and they were like no, no, no, like you need to be a certain way and you need to have your hair blown out. I'm like, well, sometimes my hair gets blown. Sometimes my hair is dirty four days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome, welcome, that's the trick, ladies. So it's so funny when you see the brand thing because.
Speaker 2: But it's just weird. I mean, I'm like, brand, what are you talking.
Speaker 1: Because some people so I've had me like.
Speaker 3: Like that's not on brand for me, or I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Do or like with it, even even endorsements like I don't want to do that, it's not on brand. I'm thinking, well, my brand is making money, so if you're going to pay me, it's going to be on brand. And I'm sorry, I mean, I'm not. I don't not everything is for sale, but like the brand, I don't even know what that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means either, that does not I mean and believe me, I mean I was the editor of multiple magazines. I think I know what's a brand and what's not a brand. And I can tell you that if someone's telling you that they have a brand, they don't have a brand.
Speaker 3: So you think that's what happened with the housewives with the news.
Speaker 2: I think it was just like they were so they were so caught up in what they thought they should look like, and then they didn't realize that you're in high deff television, right, and every single facial expression, everything that you do is like magnified. So even if they thought they were being chic and cool, they came off cross as like totally douchey.
Speaker 1: So funny because I also feel like they were maybe because they were trying to be on brand.
Speaker 2: And I don't think they'll be many mean girls. I think I've met them. I've met them. I like a lot of them. But I'm interrupt you for one thing. We did this thing at page six, and I met a few of them. We were doing behind the scenes, like some TikTok stuff. We're supposed to be having fun. If you were behind the scenes with the core og group of housewives, they would be literally clawing each other's eyes out to talk to the producer get more time. They'd be like asking questions while the person was being interviewed by X, Y or Z person. They would be doing absolutely anything to get themselves out and about and to create as much drama so that they could be the talk of whatever. That polet was right. These girls are like in the corner. I like, I literally, after I did my interview, I went to find them. When they're sitting there, They're like, okay bye. I was like, oh, okay, bye bye. Guys. Wow, that's so interesting. I was like, what are you doing? Like, let's go. Let's like even in the TikTok, I'm the I mean, okay, I'm an inherently animated human. But I was like, I look like I I'm like, I don't know, like I'm the Mickey Mouse Club.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that's because they are so And I don't blame them. I was on Jersey for two seasons, and I was in my head not all the time, but a lot of the time. Because it's a different time, right there is social media, and we have, as newbies, watched those that came before us and seen what they've gone through, and we've watched the pain that they've experienced.
Speaker 2: I was never in my head because I'm not in my head well, because you can see right now I'm not in my head.
Speaker 1: Because also I think that let's take you out of it. There's also you didn't know what you were getting into.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to always keep you in it.
Speaker 3: But I'm talking about OG in New York. They didn't know.
Speaker 1: There was no precedent, so they were just getting fucked up and getting drunk and fighting and having fun and it was so real. And now I think it's just it's a different time because of social media obviously, so I think, like, like, maybe personalities are a little more tempered. And I am guilty of it as well, right right, I think that I did the best that I could to be authentic, but there was something about the ogs.
Speaker 2: I don't know. And maybe you're on housewives. You're not on Netflix, you're not on Lifetime, You're you're on Housewives of New York. You are supposed to be in the most glamorous city, doing the most glamorous things and interacting in a way that's so raw and real, because that's what's sexy about New York, Like when you want sex in the city. One of the reasons that we love sex and the city outside of the fashion and was like that was cute. We loved the rawness, we loved the realness. We loved even though it's not that wasn't reality. That's what people are, So.
Speaker 3: That's what you think. That's the difference. Think between Old New York and New New York.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent there's a rawness and rawness that is not there.
Speaker 3: And do you think that's because of the social media.
Speaker 2: Of it all. I definitely think it's because of the social media. But I also think that it's because that they these women are seeing so much, so much other programming, and they're trying to make themselves brand into a brand, and it doesn't happen like that. I mean, people like you because they just like you, whether you're the prettiest girl, whether you're the ugliest girl, whether you're like whatever. It is. People just like people who are real that they could be like, you know what, I'm like her, Oh my god, I'm like her. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's so true.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good, bad or ugly like I think about Jersey, and I think about like Jersey was has been a success for so many years because good, bad or ugly these women were who they are.
Speaker 2: And the dynamic between the families.
Speaker 1: Yes, but everyone seeing the families the families, yes, of course, but also these women, it didn't matter like the cameras were up or the cameras were down. They loved each other or they hated each other, and there was no faking it.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you guys are a great cast. So when we were at Bravo Khan, hanging out with you guys was so much fun. Like, you guys are like real and like I remember meeting Joe Gorga at the first time on a plane. I didn't even I never met him before, and he was like, let me help you with your bag. He's a very he's very very gentle human, very really really nice guy. And Melissa, like I do a lot of stuff with her. Margaret josephs. I love her. We have a lot of friends in common. She's a baller. I don't know if you like her. I love I love her my close friends, and I just love how real she is. And then she talks about everything that she does, she talks about and I think that's really I mean, it's really important, especially when you're you know, getting older.
Speaker 1: There's also there's something about these characters, these humans, Dolores, Melissa, Margaret, it's these women and all of them, Jackie, Danielle, Rachel, Teresa, j God, I'm gonna I forget someone and then who am I forgetting? Yelle Teresa? Anyway, But these women are all they're all, but they're all individually a little cucka.
Speaker 3: They're all a little crazy, including me.
Speaker 2: Well it's the genesis of the of the of the show. And they are. Yes, we can't work with each other, you know, every single day and talk to each other and be filming to get with each other and talking, talking and filming and talking and filming and talking and filming and talking and filming, and it's like the worst reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I think that it's there's no like at some point Jersey just everybody said, we're completely fucking crazy and we're just gonna go with it, like there's no more. We can't pretend there's no brand. There's just we are all a bunch of hot, fucking messes. And but that's I think. I feel like that's what worked with New York too, Like there's no I don't know what whatever whoever's trying to sell. Whatever they're trying to sell, whether it be eyelashes or toaster ovens, I don't know. But that's not what's interesting, right, what's interesting is these women and the fact that they're messy, and the fact that they actually like in the moment, like they hate each other or they're laughing at and they adore each other.
Speaker 3: That chemistry is hard to find, and I.
Speaker 1: Think that the ogs of New York did it perfectly and very hard to get that back.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't know perfectly. I just again, I think it's also what we have that's different is that we get out of a taxi and you open that door and the volume of New York and the smell and it's just it's very just authentically gritty. And so just before you've even walked into you know, into like you know, your cocktails or whatever, you have to really like kind of you kind of like you, yes, get through it, and so like you're like, okay, but yes, I'm gonna be vulnerable, right, But there has.
Speaker 3: To be commonality between New York. Think about it. So New York to Dubai fancy to Beverly Hills, you guys.
Speaker 2: Are fancy, your houses are beautiful. New York, you guys are really dressed well like Jersey. Yes, I mean New York women are not well dressed. They're not I don't come from a lot of money. They don't. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Wait, whoa whoa whoa whoa?
Speaker 1: What don't you just say notorious for being the worst dressed.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. You guys always look great. You guys are always that point. Agree, You're always like you guys are like the Kardashians of the housewise.
Speaker 1: To Kelly, you are losing me fast. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You guys are like in your range rovers, your gorgeous houses. You're always dressed.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I agree, how on Jersey people have We have beautiful homes, and I agree with you. But I am telling you you and I are the only ones that agree.
Speaker 3: People think that Jersey is the worst dress.
Speaker 1: That tackiest have to just do with the fact that, of course, it's like Jerseys don't to be Jersey.
Speaker 2: It's Sopranos country, it's you know. I disagree. I think that you guys are all love We're like, I mean, New Yorkers are like, guys, hello, do you guys have a job, Like, where's the cash? Shit?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Really? I was like, Oh, I'm rich.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, wow, that is Jersey, New York, California. Oh see, no, it's a lot of showmanship and there's not always a lot to back that up. So I think that's a housewise Housewives that's notorious for that, but.
Speaker 2: Someone like me, that's I mean, that's another reason I love Everet Hills is because I love I love that, Like the women will go and be like, I'm going to get a present for my daughter and they like drop like thirty grand on themselves. I think that's amazing, right, Like, I mean, I would never do that for my daughters. I mean I'm like, you know, I want them to have like personal respect and like if they want they get a gift, I want them to like, you know, be really really excited about it. I don't just like throw money at them. But I love that as.
Speaker 1: Like to watch it as I love to watch your kids, just not my kids, not for me. Let's just like we'll talk about Jersey and New York quickly. What do you see is the best scenario.
Speaker 2: Moving forward for both? Is it a mix of old and new?
Speaker 3: If so, is there anything specific you would like to suggest?
Speaker 2: Definitely a mix between old and new. I mean I know I should go back. I've heard of course, yeah, of course, I mean now now not now because people have seen that like real is cool, like not real is uncool, Like they're finally getting that.
Speaker 3: Would you go back with your old cast?
Speaker 2: Would you go back with Bethany? Ever?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I never.
Speaker 2: I'm like, would you go on? Yes? Would you no? Yeah? No? And she can't film anyway she's But you know, it's interesting because when when I talked about the list that I sent to Andy, one person was like, oh my god, she always calls Andy. That is not true. I literally I never call him. I don't even have a cell phone number. I texted him one time because his daughter was so unbelievably adorable, and then his another time I sent his I sent them this like really cute teddy bear and his son is so cute. So like I never text Himbout. Well, by the way, I do know.
Speaker 1: I do know that a lot of housewives do have his cell number and do text him. I mean, it's not like I don't know what a regular I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: I do have his cell number, and I text him once and never again.
Speaker 2: You don't worry. Do his photo do a photo of him? Like what do you mean? Like a not like on your mantle? But do you have like a photo of you guys together.
Speaker 1: Not framed, not for like it's not like all the photos of the people you have like you that's the side of all these famous people. Literally what you're talking about, because I'm a literally and right I'm telling you my friend Shary, my best friend is here right now, I was telling Kelly earlier. So Shary used to take me and are their best friend from college to the Grammys every year because Sharry is Shary and her husband is this big studio exect and we used to go to the Grammys every year until literally like we were like maybe.
Speaker 3: Three or four years in.
Speaker 1: Remember, and there was a security guy and I guess he worked there year after year who and I would be and he was like, I'm done. Like he walked up to us and he was like, I know your game now.
Speaker 2: Like this is like this is after years of us going on, You're you're like a gorgeous brunette, which I was not obvious.
Speaker 1: I was only eyes because I was so annoying, and I would like go over and I would be like reading out, like.
Speaker 3: No, you had no choice.
Speaker 2: I'm all right.
Speaker 3: We digressed, We digressed. I have a question for you, Yes.
Speaker 2: If you could get your photo taken with any housewife, who would it be?
Speaker 3: I mean, Kelly Bensmo, any housewife? Let me think. No, you know, it's like that, if you'd asked me.
Speaker 1: That four years ago. I mean, first of all, I would have just been in heaven. I would have just started drooling out of the left side of my mouth thinking about me getting a photo with I don't know, Kyle Richards or you know what. Okay, I know, I know because I was gonna say yes. But I've gotten a few pictures now, so it's different. But if you ask me right now, the one that I haven't gotten and that I would give the most, take with, Yes, Lisa vander Pump.
Speaker 2: I love me some Lisa van I really I knew it. I always die from her.
Speaker 1: I just did the way her hair would just flip back, and she was so everything.
Speaker 3: The lipstick was first. I think she's she's Jacqueline Smith.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, right.
Speaker 1: She was the most beautiful and like, maybe a little older than the rest of the Jackson people say you that, No, she was the least pretty of the angels.
Speaker 2: Take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your fair faucet, and you know it. Anyway, so thanks, thanks Helene.
Speaker 2: I'm k j.
Speaker 1: J.
Speaker 2: She's hot.
Speaker 1: I thought she's hot. She is, Yeah, she was like the brainiac. She wasn't the hot one.
Speaker 2: But whatever. Anyway, all right, so.
Speaker 3: Ultimate Girl's Trip, Which, what did you think?
Speaker 2: Ultimate Girls Trip?
Speaker 3: I loved every second.
Speaker 2: Of it, did I really. It was such a great trip.
Speaker 1: I thought it was so much fun to watch them.
Speaker 2: I kept telling them, you guys, you're missing the narrative. I think this guy is going to ask me to get married. He's sent me all these love notes with photos that I was reading to Derinda, and instead of a following my lead, they were like, no, no, we're gonna try this to make this into Scary Island. I'm like, it didn't. It didn't work. So there was a lot of people didn't even know what scary Island was.
Speaker 3: Then they were like, we're not doesn't know what's scary Island?
Speaker 2: Well, because he just they don't. I guess they don't want to know him because they're like, oh my god, it was such an iconic moment, and they're like, but one of my favorite favorite favorite moments on Ultimate Girl's Trip is that we go and do this water therapy I'm remembering water therapy and they're in like ther bikinis. I'm like, I'm not gonna wear a bikini. I'm gonna wear a one piece. I literally it was so warm and I was in this velvet blue velvet one piece and I'm like looking up with my eyes are closed and I see the sun and it's like these lips are trying to kiss me. And with the movement of the water, I was like, I am so wildly horning. I don't know what to do with myself. And I get out of the water, and first of all, the guy that was moving me around was just like a smoke show. I get out of the water, I was like, oh my god. I'm like this guy is so hot. And like Luanne and durindare like I love my mother. I'm like I'm like, no, no, no, no, my mother was not in the water. I am so wildly horny. And they were looking at me like I had fifteen heads that I didn't have a cathartic. I get my own cathartic.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to wait. But I'm thinking, like you just said that, like they missed it. They missed the bar where your boyfriend your fiance at the time you were reading. I know you, I remember you reading the love letters from him, but you already maybe not so much into him, and we missed broken up. You were about to get married. I thought we were.
Speaker 2: Broken up, and then he was like really really, really pushing, and they definitely didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 3: I got you and Kristin Takeman arguing.
Speaker 2: I mean, christ we were arguing. I was actually like, tell me what the situation is. Let's talk it through. I mean, you can you sit there with her for hours? Hours? Yeah, Christen, one thing, please, Okay, I want to ask you. It's frustrating to sit with her for hours. You couldn't get it. So wait, it's very frustrating on this and she's a literally human.
Speaker 1: Yes, but she just just she couldn't make it happen with her.
Speaker 2: She'd be like if you and I were in a scene talking, she would like leave and run upstairs and go talk to the camera. And I'm like, and do her own testimonial. I'm like, no, no, no, no. In the middle of We're here, this is this is, this is the show. We're here.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you very myself.
Speaker 3: Because you're a model and she's a model.
Speaker 1: I'm curious because you and I have touched on this a little bit personally, but like the modeling thing on Housewives. First of all, going into Housewives as a model, do you think that is a helper a hindrance? And also I know that modeling is can be tough for a lot of reasons, and you and I have spoken a little bit about this, but but show me some parallels in terms of like.
Speaker 2: Being on Housewives. It's super triggering for me. I don't know about for her, but for me it was very triggering because you know, I started modeling when I was so young, and people were like, you're fat, you're ugly, you're too tall, your hair's too short, your boosters too big, You're to this, you're to that. It's just a constant, constant, constant, every single day. You're just never good enough. And so when I went on Housewives and like I'll never forget the first air, Mona Center called me a scarecrow and I was like a scarecrow and then she's like, yeah, you have no brains. I'm like, I'm the most educated person here. It's fun. You go to Columbia and I'm like okay, but your guys are you know, you're just so great and you're so smart. Talk about that now that you went to Columbia. It's none of the it's not your business, not your business, but they're But when I used to do this view, I want to like and so the simple intication, but just being berated and having them belittle me, you know, as a way of making them bigger and listen. You know, for me, I've always been the kind of person it's kinetic energy. If you're good, I'm good, and then we're going to be better. But if you're not good, and then I'm good, and I try to make you feel bad or gaslight you were doing whatever, whatever they were doing. It's just it's very unsettling, and like a lot of the viewers were like, I mean, to this day, they're like, we are so sorry. I'm like, you don't have to apologize, but they're just like, we're so sorry. And you know, it was really, really, really hard. That's why for me to even be vulnerable in the relationship was almost impossible. I would meet guys and go on dates with them, and I'd be like, all they want to do is go out with the housewives. All they do is want to go out with someone that's crazy. All they do is want to go out with a model. All they want to do. I never ever thought that they wanted to like meet Kelly. I just always assumed and always had my think that was about them or about you. You think that was about you or everything. But I mean I was also conditioned for my modeling years coupled with being housewives. I mean, just constantly having that reminder really affected me, really affect me.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about it now as you're saying it, like walking into a cast, a Housewives cast, And I'm thinking about this with Brandy Glanville for whatever reason, But like when a woman comes in who is modelesque, I think that there's a weird energy, there's a weird flow of energy. And I think that it probably happened with Brandy. I think it probably happened with you. I don't know if you agree with me or not, but I don't know if anybody's ever walked onto Jersey that's been model asque. I'm trying to think of some of the other franchises, but could it could be intimidating And I think in if you put that in a housewife's setting, Like it's already like going to spark a bit of jealousy, a bit of competition, right, do you feel like that, Like just because of the fact that you are you are a model, that already put you maybe at a little bit of a disadvantage.
Speaker 2: Potentially it did. And I think that they thought that because I was a model, I was going to have this thick skin. But you know, I was like, oh, I'm from Illinois. They're like, yeah, you're from Illinois. I'm like, no, no, No, I am from Rockford, Illinois. Like the way you speak about people, this way you speak to people, I was not raised like that, and I don't understand that. And I'm not going to speak that language. I'm going to speak my language. And if you don't come to me, that's your problem. And then people were starting to be like nicer and real and more open and more just real, because I was like, I don't know what you're talking about, and I just didn't doesn't matter if I work in New York, I still don't communicate like that, and I'm not.
Speaker 1: Going to start I think about No, I'm just I just think it's so interesting. I think about the other franchises and just about how especially when someone knew and is even maybe I mean, I think about Jenna Lionce, who's her career, but she wasn't new. They all came in at the same time. That could have been intimidating or but like models, I feel like in particular particularly.
Speaker 2: She also Jenna has and she always has, whether she was at you know, Jaye Crew when she first got there, when I was at Hampton's before I was l She's always been a very striking confident person. We didn't know that she had certain things that were going on in her life, of course, but the way that she presents herself, and we talk about that a lot now, is about the way that present she presents herself as a very very confident person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm I'm yes, all of that, But people.
Speaker 2: Say that I do like that too. I mean, just because I'm wearing heels and like, you know, seven feet tall, doesn't necessarily mean that I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Feeling housewise, I know, but I think that not just house housewives is a microcosm, right of, sort of of the rest of the world and how we all work and we all spin around each other. But I feel like there's something about a really tall, beautiful modelesque woman that is probably makes it a little more difficult. Not always, but I just think sometimes, and I think maybe maybe in your case, maybe in Brandy's case, I think that the dynamics maybe shift a little bit and maybe it makes it harder.
Speaker 4: Do you agree, Well, I think that there's I think that there has always been this idea that if you are pretty, things are easier for you, and it's not necessary true.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can open that someone can open the door for you, but you still have to walk through, like you know, okay, the door is open, but you can't make it through, Like okay, how are you successful? Right? You know, you're it's so it's it's really you know, it's it's it's the life that you make. And you know, it's really nice that people like the way that I look and I appreciate that. And botox makes me even prettier, but.
Speaker 1: I yeah, well both talks makes all of us.
Speaker 2: And looks and me and yeah, but I'm kidding, but I really really appreciate that so much, so much.
Speaker 1: And no, I just think it's so interesting, and I think that also probably happens with women that come on that are let's say, way wealthier than the rest, right there is as an audience member.
Speaker 3: Which is what I mainly am.
Speaker 1: Right, and I see if I see a cast and someone comes on like Caroline Stansbury, right, do buy what I want to although they're all actually ridiculously wealthy, so that doesn't even apply.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of like Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's just interesting the way that you talk about yourself and say that you're like you present, Like we were talking about that before. You present as the observer, but you're the participant. That is not good. I mean, I present you. I have both. You have to allow yourself to be the you know I.
Speaker 1: Am, but I always have to also like qualify like I'm not I'm a friend of a house I'm a.
Speaker 2: Two year friend in this world. Yes you're on You're.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that that is true, but I am. I have been a fan for so long, so it's a very weird thing. At age fifty three, that's when I went on the Housewives of New Jersey. I love that I have watched all of that. You know, I've been a crazy Housewives fanatic for so many years, so maybe it like the heart of me. That's how I feel. I feel both, but that it will always be there, you know, like I love that it is what it is.
Speaker 2: But like I was thinking about just now, I appreciate that you are open enough to be like I'm I was a huge fan. I mean a lot of these women who are That's I think. No, I don't get this, No, no, no, no. I think that that's actually a really really strong point is that a lot of the New York women, they were such massive fans and they thought this was going to be a launching pad for them, and instead of really really like digging deep and really reveling in being a housewife, they were on the periphery. And it made the fans very uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's probably pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: It's not that they're I mean, it's more than just not resonating. It made fans very uncomfortable. Yeah. Instead of fans feeling like they're in the conversation, they just felt very isolated. Yeah. I could see that. Yeah, and that's why they love to watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was a fan and when I went into it, though, I'm not gonna say that I was never in my head, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 1: I really tried not to be. In most moments, I wasn't. But there were times because I've been a fanned for so long, you know that you were seeing, you're in a scene, but you're also there's that little part of you that floats above and remembers very like, very specifically, what it's like to be a viewer of the scene. So it's a little tricky.
Speaker 2: Don't throw a table. So you would go.
Speaker 1: Back to Housewives, you would return. You already gave me that answer. You said absolutely, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always think it's a good I mean, I had never I always said since day one, I would never say no. The only reason that I left when I left in twenty eleven is because they were bringing back someone that I could not film with.
Speaker 3: And I really play coy right now.
Speaker 2: Schenkel, Okay, I was like, no, that's not how happening. I'm not I'm not going to be I'm not going to have someone be a liability. Yeah, it's not happening.
Speaker 3: So interesting.
Speaker 1: You know what everything that happened with her with Jersey and I know what she was talking about Teresa, and for whatever reason and said that no one Jersey was a train wreck of a show. No one would ever go on it if they weren't broke, and once they did make money, they would just get off of it. And I was like, what, like say what like, so all you were on a franchise and I know you went on it quote unquote broke.
Speaker 2: She wasn't broke. She went to a very expensive college. She wasn't broken. I know. I mean I know more about her now because all of the guys I've did or went on days told me everything about her, which was really fascinating. Can you imagine going in a date and some guy being like, oh my god, let me tell you about her.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I I met her, I know her.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm like, dinner's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, recently who she was dating that dated you or something of that.
Speaker 3: Right, it's another episode any.
Speaker 2: Way, But I do think I do. You know, it's actually a shame because you know, had I had that, had that not have happened, I would have I would have continued on Housewives. I would have continued. I would Here's a good news. I tell of my favorite trips Leuenna, I had the best time ever.
Speaker 1: That was my trip to Ireland. That I had on season thirteen was one of the best times.
Speaker 2: I mean, some of the trips are so unbelievable.
Speaker 3: One but here's the good news.
Speaker 1: I don't even don't even say that a scary island scary island.
Speaker 2: There are parts of it that are amazing. And then there was an issue that happened between between us and I just was like I made a choice of the wellness of a family versus like I was just I can't.
Speaker 3: Launch, I can't do I'm watch you into anything done. But let me just say one thing.
Speaker 2: I don't feel.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like Bethany's coming back, so now would be a perfect time. I feel like probably not going to be on the Housewives again.
Speaker 2: She can't be.
Speaker 1: Let me just propose this, Andy Cohen, if you're listening, Ultimate Trip, uh, Jen Fessler, Kelly or even better.
Speaker 2: Ultimate Girlstrip are the best trips as whatever. Well, first of all, because you get to go on trips with all these other housewives you never get to meet, and it is amazing, so fun. I would love to do that and everybody and everyone gets to tell which is which was? Which was great for me is that like even on Ultimate Girls Trip, I did not film with Gerinda, and I got to really know her, and she, you know, told me what was happening and all this stuff, and you know I had, you know. I mean she's a very funny human.
Speaker 1: I mean she I love that woman. Smart and charismatic. Talk about the ultimate housewife. All right, Kelly, I love you, Love you guys, love me some Kelly, Ben Simone, love you.
Speaker 2: See you next time. Bye, guys,